Summary: Fluorides, usually in pastes or gels, used for topical application to reduce the incidence of DENTAL CARIES.
Publications179 found, 100 shown here
- The effect of topical fluorides on decalcification in patients with fixed orthodontic appliances: a systematic reviewBarbara L Chadwick
Cardiff University Dental School, United Kingdom
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128:601-6; quiz 670. 2005Decalcification is a significant problem during fixed orthodontic treatment. Topical Fluorides can reduce or eliminate the problem, but the relative effectiveness of different treatments or combinations of topical fluoride preparations ..
- A community-based caries control program for pre-school children using topical fluorides: 18-month resultsE C Lo
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, China
J Dent Res 80:2071-4. 2001..The mean numbers of new caries surfaces in the five groups were 0.4, 0.4, 0.8, 0.6, and 1.2, respectively (p = 0.001). The respective mean numbers of arrested carious tooth surfaces were 2.8, 3.0, 1.7, 1.5, and 1.0 (p < 0.001)...
- Remineralization effects of a sodium fluoride bioerodible gelKelly K Sawyer
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Am J Dent 17:245-8. 2004..To evaluate the effectiveness of a 5% sodium fluoride (NaF) bioerodible gel to remineralize demineralized enamel...
- Effect of fluoride compounds on enamel erosion in vitro: a comparison of amine, sodium and stannous fluorideC Ganss
Department of Conservative and Preventive Dentistry, Dental Clinic, Giessen, Germany
Caries Res 42:2-7. 2008..7 +/- 28.4 microm) had no significant effect on erosion progression. The results indicate considerable differences between the fluoride compounds tested. Treatment with solutions containing SnF2 was most effective...
- Effect of fluoride varnish on enamel demineralization around brackets: an in-vivo studyNasrin Farhadian
Department of Orthodontics, Dental School, Hamedan University, Hamedan, Iran
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:S95-8. 2008..The purpose of this in-vivo study was to evaluate the effect of a fluoride varnish on enamel demineralization adjacent to bonded brackets...
- Motivating mothers to prevent caries: confirming the beneficial effect of counselingPhilip Weinstein
Dental Public Health Sciences, University of Washington, School of Dentistry, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:789-93. 2006..The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of a motivational interviewing (MI) counseling visit with traditional health education for mothers of young children at high risk of developing dental caries...
- Review on fluoride, with special emphasis on calcium fluoride mechanisms in caries preventionJ M Ten Cate
Department of Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 105:461-5. 1997..Moreover, due to the phosphate groups on the surface of the calcium fluoride globules, fluoride is assumed to be released with decreasing pH when the phosphate groups are protonated in the dental plaque...
- Current understanding of the epidemiology mechanisms, and prevention of dental caries in preschool childrenNorman Tinanoff
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:543-51. 2002....
- Fluoride concentration in whole saliva and separate gland secretions after topical treatment with three different fluoride varnishesS Twetman
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Centre for Oral Health Sciences, Malmo University, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 57:263-6. 1999..The elevated levels did not exceed 6 h for any of the varnish tested. The results of this study suggest a correlation between the concentration of fluoride of the varnish and fluoride levels obtained in saliva after application...
- Prevention. Part 7: professionally applied topical fluorides for caries preventionR Hawkins
University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br Dent J 195:313-7. 2003This paper reviews the use of professionally applied topical fluorides (PATF) in caries prevention. PATFs are indicated for children and adults with one or more decayed smooth surfaces and/or those who are at high caries risk...
- Review of fluorosis risk of self-applied topical fluorides: dentifrices, mouthrinses and gelsG K Stookey
Indiana University School of Dentistry, Oral Health Research Institute, Indianapolis 46202-2876
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:181-6. 1994....
- Fluoride uptake, retention, and remineralization efficacy of a highly concentrated fluoride solution on enamel lesions in situW Buchalla
Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Dent Res 81:329-33. 2002..Volunteers with higher stimulated salivary flow rates had lower fluoride uptake, but higher mineral gain. In conclusion, a single application of highly concentrated fluoride solution increases remineralization...
- Evidence-based effectiveness of topical fluoridesV C C Marinho
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, Turner Street, London, UK
Adv Dent Res 20:3-7. 2008
- Elevated fluoride products enhance remineralization of advanced enamel lesionsJ M Ten Cate
Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Center for Dentistry ACTA, Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 87:943-7. 2008..With 5000-ppm-F treatments, more demineralizing episodes per day (10 vs. 2 for placebo) would still be repaired by remineralization...
- The evidence base for topical fluoridesHelen Worthington
Cochrane Oral Health Group
Community Dent Health 20:74-6. 2003
- Topical fluorides in caries prevention and management: a North American perspectiveE Newbrun
Department of Stomatology, University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry, 4143 0512, USA
J Dent Educ 65:1078-83. 2001..patient requires the use of several preventive interventions and behavioral modification, besides the use of topical fluorides. For children over six years of age and adults, both office and self-applied topical fluoride treatments are ..
- Enamel fluoride uptake of a novel water-based fluoride varnishT Attin
Department of Operative and Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, Georg August University Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Arch Oral Biol 50:317-22. 2005..It is concluded that the novel fluoride varnish Mirafluorid deposits less KOH-soluble and structurally bound fluoride on both demineralised and sound enamel compared to Duraphat under in situ-conditions...
- Fluoride concentration in saliva after use of oral hygiene productsGuglielmo Campus
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Italy
Caries Res 37:66-70. 2003..In conclusion, the fluoride concentration in saliva can be maintained to an optimal therapeutic level with the regular use of fluoridated products...
- Effects of professionally applied topical fluorides on surface hardness of composite-based restorativesAdrian U J Yap
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore
Oper Dent 27:576-81. 2002This study investigated the effects of professionally applied topical fluorides on the surface hardness of a composite (Spectrum TPH), a compomer (DyractAP) and a giomer (Reactmer)...
- A review of sodium fluoride varnishC H Chu
University of Hong Kong
Gen Dent 54:247-53. 2006..As a result, it is regarded as one of the superior topical fluoride agents for young children...
- Effect of xylitol and xylitol-fluoride lozenges on approximal caries development in high-caries-risk childrenChristina Stecksén-Blicks
Department of Odontology, Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:170-7. 2008..To evaluate the effect of xylitol- and xylitol/fluoride-containing lozenges on approximal caries development in young adolescents with high caries risk...
- Effect of a solution with high fluoride concentration on remineralization of shallow and deep root surface caries in vitroY Mukai
Department of Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Caries Res 35:317-24. 2001..These results indicate that a 4,000-ppm fluoride solution might be effective for remineralization of root dentin lesions even over 400 microm depth...
- Change in caries prevalence after implementation of a fluoride varnish programSylvia Dohnke-Hohrmann
Bezirksamt Neukölln von Berlin, Public Dental Health Services
J Public Health Dent 64:96-100. 2004..All 49 primary schools of the district joined the project. The aim of the present study was to evaluate in a cross-sectional study whether the preventive program resulted in a reduced caries prevalence...
- A comparative evaluation of three fluoride varnishes: an in-vitro studyA K Munshi
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, A. B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 19:92-102. 2001..Of the three varnishes, Fluor Protector was seen to exhibit the highest demineralization inhibitory effect, while Fluoritop-SR was found to be comparable to Bifluorid 12 in its caries protective effects...
- Microhardness of dentine in primary teeth after topical fluoride applicationsC H Chu
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Dent 36:387-91. 2008..This study measured the microhardness of arrested dentinal caries on primary teeth receiving regular fluoride applications after 30 months...
- Fluoride release from NaF- and AmF-impregnated toothpicks and dental flosses in vitro and in vivoBarbro Särner
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:289-96. 2003..Another interesting method for administering fluoride in the approximal area is to use an interdental brush dipped in fluoride gel...
- A cluster randomised controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of fluoride varnish as a public health measure to reduce caries in childrenM C Hardman
Manchester Primary Care Trust Dental Service, Manchester, UK
Caries Res 41:371-6. 2007....
- Effect of a 4% titanium tetrafluoride (TiF4) varnish on demineralisation and remineralisation of bovine enamel in vitroA C Magalhaes
School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
J Dent 36:158-62. 2008..This in vitro study assessed the effect of a 4% TiF4 varnish on demineralisation and remineralisation of sound enamel and artificial carious enamel lesions, respectively...
- Three restorative materials and topical fluoride gel used in xerostomic patients: a clinical comparisonCarl W Haveman
Department of General Dentistry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78229, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:177-84. 2003..The authors compare the incidence of recurrent caries around two glass ionomer restorative materials and one amalgam material...
- Submandibular gland aplasia and progressive dental caries: a case reportM S Fracaro
Children s Oral Health Service, Royal Children s Hopital, Herston, Queensland
Aust Dent J 47:347-50. 2002..Further investigation revealed absence of functional bilateral submandibular salivary glands contributing to the rapid breakdown of the teeth despite intensive preventive measures...
- Recommendations for fluoride varnish use in caries managementJaana Autio-Gold
Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Florida, USA
Dent Today 27:64-7; quiz 67, 58. 2008..For high-risk caries patients with a significant cariogenic challenge, topical applications of fluoride might be insufficient and thus could be supplemented with other anticariogenic methods, such as xylitol chewing gum...
- Remineralization of artificial interproximal carious lesions using a fluoride mouthrinseMarkus Jörg Altenburger
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Dental School and Hospital, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 49, 79095 Freiburg, Germany
Am J Dent 20:385-9. 2007..To evaluate remineralization and fluoride uptake of demineralized enamel specimens in artificial interproximal spaces using a 250 ppm fluoride mouthrinse (100 ppm amine fluoride and 150 ppm sodium fluoride) compared to a placebo-mouthrinse...
- Active management of incipient caries and choice of materialsC Trairatvorakul
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Chulalongkorn University, 34 Henri Dunant Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Dent Res 87:228-32. 2008..The most effective material in reducing the carious areas was GIC, followed by F-varnish, F-sealant, and sealants. GIC followed by F-varnish was most efficient in inhibiting new caries lesions 0.5 mm adjacent to the materials...
- Fluoride varnish in the prevention of dental caries in children and adolescents: a systematic reviewAmir Azarpazhooh
Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, 124 Edward Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1G6
J Can Dent Assoc 74:73-9. 2008..To develop a scientifically current and evidence-based protocol for the use of fluoride varnish for the prevention of dental caries among high-risk children and adolescents...
- [Anti-caries vaccines]M Giachini
Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Dipartimento di Odontostomatologia, Corso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 51:251-62. 2002..For the setting-up of a vaccine, however, only studies, comparison and research will be able to show precise instruments of defence...
- Anticariogenic effect of fluoride-releasing elastomers in orthodontic patientsKarina Katsue Miura
School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 21:228-33. 2007..Since there was no significant reduction in S. mutans in saliva or plaque, other means of prevention against enamel decalcification should be indicated for these patients...
- Dynamics of pregnant women's oral health status during preventive programmeIngrida Vasiliauskiene
Department of Oral Health and Paediatric Odontology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Luksos Daumanto Str 6, LT 50106 Kaunas, Lithuania
Stomatologija 9:129-36. 2007..The aim of the study was to determine the efficiency of the applied preventive measures during pregnancy and to improve oral health status to pregnant women...
- Fluoride...it's still goodJanice Cary
Dent Today 27:128, 130-1. 2008
- [Dissertations 25 years after date. 15. Remineralization of human enamel]T B F M Gelhard
Verwijspraktijk voor uitgebreide restauratieve tandheelkunde en implantologie in Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 114:222-7. 2007..Important is the fluoride gradient in the enamel lesion, and in particular the fact that fluoride reaches the lesion front. This most likely accounts for the remineralization efficiency...
- Caries-inhibiting effect of professional fluoride gel application in low-caries children initially aged 4.5-6.5 yearsH M van Rijkom
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry and Pedodontology, University of Nijmegen UMCN, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Caries Res 38:115-23. 2004..5- to 6.5-year-olds, fluoride gel treatment showed a statistically significant (tested one-sided) caries-inhibiting effect on D3MFS, which was considered not clinically relevant, and no significant effect on d3mfs...
- The effect of an experimental 4% Tif4 varnish compared to NaF varnishes and 4% TiF4 solution on dental erosion in vitroA C Magalhaes
Department of Child and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, Brazil
Caries Res 42:269-74. 2008..78 +/- 0.12/2.05 +/- 1.43), TiF(4) solution (0.86 +/- 0.11/ 2.05 +/- 1.49) and control (0.77 +/- 0.16/2.06 +/- 1.49). In conclusion, the TiF(4) varnish seems to be a promising treatment to reduce enamel loss under mild erosive conditions...
- Caries prevalence and salt fluoridation among 9-year-old schoolchildren in Strasbourg, FranceV Fabien
, , Strasbourg, France
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:408-11. 1996..The DMFS value was 4.4 times higher among the children who brushed their teeth irregularly when compared with those who brushed three times a day (P = 10(-2))...
- A comparative study of fluoride-releasing adhesive resin materialsLinlin Han
Division of Cariology, Department of Oral Health Sciences, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Science, 5274, Gakkocho dori, 2 bancho, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Dent Mater J 21:9-19. 2002..Based on our results, we conclude that fluoride-releasing adhesive resins and luting cements are useful for the prevention of initial or secondary caries, especially along the margins of restorations...
- Effect of fluoridated toothpicks and dental flosses on enamel and dentine and on plaque composition in situB Sarner
Department of Cariology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Caries Res 39:52-9. 2005..01). Toothpicks and flosses resulted in lower counts of microorganisms in plaque compared to the control period (p < 0.001); the AmF toothpick gave a more pronounced reduction than the NaF toothpick (p < 0.001)...
- Fluoride release from varnishes in two in vitro protocolsJorge L Castillo
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 135:1696-9. 2004..Fluoride release information for these two approaches may allow clinicians to vary application intervals to better meet the needs of their patients...
- The effect of a bi-annual professional application of APF foam on dental caries increment in primary teeth: 24-month clinical trialH Jiang
Department of Preventive Dentistry, School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Luoyu Road 237, Wuhan City, China 430079
J Dent Res 84:265-8. 2005..01), but there were no differences on occlusal surfaces (p > 0.05). A bi-annual professional application of APF foam was effective in reducing the increment of dental caries in the primary teeth...
- Potential remineralization of demineralized enamel after application of fluoride varnishJoseph B Castellano
Am J Dent 17:462-4. 2004..To evaluate remineralization effects of a topical fluoride varnish applied over a caries-like lesion compared to around a caries-like lesion...
- Evaluation of fluoride release from teeth after topical application of NaF, SnF2 and APF and antimicrobial activity on mutans streptococciN D Shashikiran
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, College of Dental Sciences, Davangere, Karnataka, India
J Clin Pediatr Dent 30:239-45. 2006..01). This was observed immediately after 1 hour, followed by a drastic reduction thereafter. No zones of inhibition were observed at the released fluoride concentrations at different time intervals in the different groups...
- Penetration of fluoride into natural plaque biofilmsP S Watson
Division of Oral Biology, Leeds Dental Institute, Clarendon Way, Leeds, LS29LU, UK
J Dent Res 84:451-5. 2005..Removal of exogenous fluoride resulted in fluoride loss and redistribution. Penetration of fluoride into plaque biofilms during brief topical exposure is restricted, which may limit anti-caries efficacy...
- Effect of school-based fluoride varnish programmes on approximal caries in adolescents from different caries risk areasUlla Moberg Sköld
Department of Preventive Dental Care, Vastra Gotaland Region, Goteborg, Sweden
Caries Res 39:273-9. 2005..To conclude, school-based F varnish treatment every 6 months in 13- to 16-year-olds is excellent to prevent approximal caries in medium and high caries risk areas...
- Caries treatment through 30 years in children and adolescents in Asker, NorwayF R von der Fehr
Department of Cariology, Dental Faculty, University of Oslo, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:193-9. 1995..The average number of filled surfaces per year has fallen from 6.6 in the 1955 birth cohort to 0.7 in the 1977 cohort, a reduction of 89% in 22 yr.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Bayesian analysis of clustered interval-censored dataM C M Wong
Dental Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Dent Res 84:817-21. 2005..The software WinBUGS made the above complicated estimation simple. In conclusion, the annual application of silver diamine fluoride on caries lesions, and caries removal before the application, were found to shorten the arrest time...
- The effect of five years' implementation of caries-preventive methods in Swedish high-risk adolescentsC Källestål
National Institute of Public Health, SE 103 52 Stockholm, Sweden
Caries Res 39:20-6. 2005..To study the effectiveness of four different preventive programmes within a group of adolescents at high risk of caries...
- The efficacy of a fluoride varnish in reducing enamel demineralization adjacent to orthodontic brackets: an in vitro studyC F Demito
Orthodontics Dentistry Department, State University of Maringá PR, Maringa PR, Brazil
Orthod Craniofac Res 7:205-10. 2004..To test the hypothesis that fluoride varnish is effective in reducing demineralization (white spot) lesions adjacent to bonded orthodontic brackets...
- Low-levels of fluoride in plaque and saliva and their effects on the demineralisation and remineralisation of enamel; role of fluoride toothpastesR J M Lynch
Unilever Oral Care, Bebington, Wirral, UK
Int Dent J 54:304-9. 2004....
- Effectiveness of 2-year application of school-based chlorhexidine varnish, sodium fluoride gel, and dental health education programs in high-risk adolescentsNazan Kocatas Ersin
Department of Pedodontics, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Quintessence Int 39:e45-51. 2008..To compare the caries preventive effects of 2-year application of school-based chlorhexidine varnish, sodium fluoride gel, and dental health education programs among a high-risk group of 11- to 13-year-olds with low caries activity...
- Fluoride varnish application: a new prophylactic method in Albania. Effect on enamel carious lesions in permanent dentitionL Xhemnica
Faculty of Medicine, Dental Department, Tirana, Albania
Eur J Paediatr Dent 9:93-6. 2008..The aim of this study is to assess the effects of fluoride varnishes on enamel caries lesions on permanent dentition...
- Fluorides in the new millenniumO Padilla
Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery, USA
N Y State Dent J 67:34-8. 2001..Although the benefits of fluoride can no longer be disputed, fluoride supplementation must be supported and approached with consideration of total fluoride exposure...
- Fluoride uptake and remineralisation of enamel lesions after weekly application of differently concentrated fluoride gelsM J Altenburger
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University Medical Hospital and Dental School, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Caries Res 42:312-8. 2008..Under the present experimental conditions repeated application of highly concentrated fluoride gels did not promote remineralisation significantly...
- The use of topical fluoride to prevent or reverse dental cariesPeter Jacobsen
University of the Pacific, School of Dentistry, 2155 Webster Street, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Spec Care Dentist 23:177-9. 2003..The application of fluoride varnish is an excellent topical form for those patients who have access to dental care and for whom it is difficult to comply with the use of other topical forms...
- The use of fluoride varnish in children: a critical review with treatment recommendationsElizabeth K Miller
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Chapell Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 32:259-64. 2008....
- Systemic versus topical fluorideE Hellwig
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Dental Clinic and Dental School, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Caries Res 38:258-62. 2004..g. in the form of fluoridated dentifrices) should be encouraged. There are still important questions open that need to be answered despite existing knowledge about the caries-preventive effect of fluoride...
- A new look at fluoride varnishesG M Davies
Central Manchester Primary Care Trust, Manchester
Dent Update 31:351-2, 354. 2004..Under the headings of effectiveness, ease of application and safety the available evidence is digested and summarized to inform the reader about the indications, method of use and alternative options for caries control...
- Argon laser irradiation and fluoride treatment effects on caries-like enamel lesion formation in primary teeth: an in vitro studyGary H Westerman
Department of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Creighton University, School of Dentistry, Omaha, NE, USA
Am J Dent 17:241-4. 2004..To evaluate topical acidulated phosphate fluoride (APF) and low fluence argon laser (Ar) treatment effects on in vitro caries formation in primary tooth enamel...
- Using a fluoridated supplement with a high fluoride concentration in children aged under 6 years may increase the risk of fluorosisGraciela Rasines
Evidence Based Dentistry Commission, Dental Association of Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Evid Based Dent 11:8-9. 2010..and cross-sectional surveys] were selected if they had included children under the age of 6 years when topical fluorides were administered, and in which fluoride toothpastes, mouthrinses, gels, foams, paint-on solutions and ..
- Can organised dental care for children be both good and cheap?P J Riordan
Health Department of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:119-25. 1997..dental care for children as a career will spend most of their days placing fissure sealants, applying topical fluorides and inserting predominantly single-surface restorations...
- Comparative evaluation of the effect of topical fluorides on the microhardness of various restorative materials: an in vitro studyN C Gill
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Dr HSJ Institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 28:193-9. 2010b>Topical fluorides can recharge the fluoride content of exhausted glass ionomer cements, converting them into fluoride reservoirs...
- Fluoride varnish: a useful new tool for public health dentistryJ W Bawden
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
J Public Health Dent 58:266-9. 1998Since first shown to be effective by Bibby in 1942, professionally applied topical fluorides have been used successfully as a caries-preventive intervention...
- Dental plaque fluoride and pH in children exposed to different water fluoride levelsF C Sampaio
Department of Social and Clinical Dentistry, Federal University of Paraiba, Joao Pessoa, Brazil
Acta Odontol Scand 57:65-71. 1999The aims of this study were to determine plaque fluoride concentrations in children not exposed to topical fluorides but to different fluoride levels in the drinking water (0.1 and 2...
- Dentistry between pathology and cosmeticsThomas M Marthaler
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, Center for Dentistry, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30:3-15. 2002..academia had acknowledged that substantial declines could also be obtained in entire populations through topical fluorides, mainly in toothpastes...
- Control of occlusal caries in the first permanent molars by oral hygieneP Arrow
Dental Services, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:278-83. 1997..test) with a standard preventive program (control), comprising selective fissure sealing and application of topical fluorides. School Dental Service clinics of the Health Department of Western Australia, in Perth, were assigned to ..
- Comparative uptake of fluoride ion into enamel from various topical fluorides in vitroN Pai
School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide, South Australia
Aust Dent J 52:41-6. 2007..The objective of this project was to determine the concentration and pattern of fluoride ion uptake into enamel from a variety of categories of topical fluoride recently available in Australia...
- The association between asthma and dental caries in children and adolescents: A population-based case-control studyJ D Shulman
Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Tex 75246, USA
Caries Res 35:240-6. 2001..our analysis adjusted for covariates, potential confounders such as fluoride intake from water, diet, use of topical fluorides, and dose of antiasthmatic medication could not be addressed...
- Association of caries experience in 12-year-old children in Heidelberg, Germany, and Montpellier, France, with different caries preventive measuresA Schulte
Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29:354-61. 2001..In Germany and France, different approaches to oral health promotion have been chosen...
- Prevalence and severity of dental caries in 12-year-old children in Kaunas, Lithuania 1995V Machiulskiene
Department of Therapeutic Stomatology, Faculty of Stomatology, Kaunas Medical Academy, Lithuania
Caries Res 32:175-80. 1998..The high level of non-cavitated active caries lesions suggests that in this population caries may to a large extent be controlled by simple preventive measures including use of topical fluorides.
- Sugars and dental cariesRiva Touger-Decker
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, School of Health Related Professions, New Jersey Dental School, Newark 07107, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:881S-892S. 2003..consumption of a balanced diet and adherence to dietary guidelines and the dietary reference intakes; from a dental perspective, the primary public health measures are the use of topical fluorides and consumption of fluoridated water.
- Review of fluoride exposures and ingestionS M Levy
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:173-80. 1994..Fluoride from all sources except mouthrinses and professionally applied topical fluorides was considered, including ingestion from foods and beverages, as well as intake from the use of fluoride ..
- Views on oral health care strategiesN Beiruti
WHO Demonstration, Training and Research Centre for Oral Health, Damascus, Syrian Arab Republic
East Mediterr Health J 11:209-16. 2005..Although cost-effective, water and salt fluoridation are often unavailable and topical fluorides are recommended. Governments and industry must ensure availability of affordable fluoride toothpaste...
- Brushing abrasion of eroded bovine enamel pretreated with topical fluoridesA Vieira
Department of Dentistry and Dental Hygiene, University of Groningen Medical Centre, Groningen, The Netherlands
Caries Res 40:224-30. 2006b>Topical fluorides have been proposed for the prevention of erosive dental wear. This study evaluated the in vitro effect of a single professional application of 4% titanium tetrafluoride (TiF4), 1% amine fluoride (AmF) and 0...
- Effects of daily topical fluoride gels on resin composite degradation and wearK Kula
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, University of Missouri Kansas City Dental School, USA
Dent Mater 13:305-11. 1997This in vitro study compares the effects of professional and consumer-applied topical fluorides on the weight, wear resistance and surface appearance of a resin composite containing barium boroaluminosilicate glass filler particles.
- Why the carioprotective potential of luting cements crucial?M Rohilla
Government Dental College, Rohtak, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 27:219-23. 2009..Demineralization can be prevented or reduced by improving patient oral hygiene or by using topical fluorides. However these methods depend on patient compliance and, therefore, are not very reliable...
- Current status of professionally applied topical fluoridesD W Johnston
Division of Community Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:159-63. 1994The literature was reviewed to establish the current effectiveness of professionally applied topical fluorides in the prevention of dental caries and to determine the risk of chronic and acute fluoride ingestion from their use...
- Controlling the fluoride dosage in a patient with compromised salivary functionFrederick C Eichmiller
American Dental Association Foundation, Paffenbarger Research Center, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899 8546, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 136:67-70; quiz 91. 2005High-concentration topical fluorides are used commonly to with compromised salivary function due to irradiation and chemotherapy.
- The effectiveness of a 6-year oral health education programme for primary schoolchildrenJacques Vanobbergen
Department of Community Dentistry, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185 B, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:173-82. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of a 6-year oral health education programme in primary schoolchildren...
- Oral hygiene in the control of occlusal cariesP Arrow
Dental Services, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26:324-30. 1998..with a standard preventive programme (control), comprising selective fissure sealing and application of topical fluorides. School Dental Service clinics of the Health Department of Western Australia, in Perth, were assigned to ..
- Professionally applied topical fluoride and restorative care in insured childrenS A Eklund
University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Ann Arbor 48109 2029, USA
J Public Health Dent 60:33-8. 2000..This study evaluates the association between use of professionally applied topical fluoride and use of interproximal restorations in primary and permanent teeth of children...
- Prevention of artificial caries: effect of bonding agent, resin composite and topical fluoride applicationKatsushi Okuyama
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Division of Oral Health Science, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Dental Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Oper Dent 31:135-42. 2006..Moreover, the combination of fluoride containing bonding agent and restorative material was the most effective for the inhibition of artificial caries progression based on the 12-week experimental period with topical F application...
- Treatment of proximal superficial caries lesions on primary molar teeth with resin infiltration and fluoride varnish versus fluoride varnish only: efficacy after 1 yearK R Ekstrand
Department of Cariology and Endodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Caries Res 44:41-6. 2010..To conclude, resin infiltration in conjunction with fluoride varnish seems promising for controlling proximal lesion progression on deciduous molar teeth...
- Orthodontic treatment-related white spot lesions: a 14-year prospective quantitative follow-up, including bonding material assessmentDmitry Shungin
Department of Odontology Orthodontics, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 138:136.e1-8; discussion 136-7. 2010..In addition, we quantitatively compared the effects of an acrylic bonding material vs a glass ionomer cement (GIC) on WSL...
- Resin cement thickness in oval-shaped canals: oval vs. circular fiber posts in combination with different tips/drills for post space preparationIvanovic Coniglio
Department of Fixed Prosthodontics and Dental Materials, School of Dental Medicine, University of Siena, Italy
Am J Dent 22:290-4. 2009..To evaluate the cement thickness around oval and circular posts luted in oval post spaces prepared with different drills/tips...
- Sealant and fluoride varnish in caries: a randomized trialM Bravo
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Campus de Cartuja s n, University of Granada, E 18071 Granada, Spain
J Dent Res 84:1138-43. 2005..4% (SE = 8.5%) for sealants vs. control and 27.3% (SE = 10.2%) for varnish vs. control. Furthermore, the varnish program was not effective during the discontinuation period...
- Glass-ionomer cements as restorative and preventive materialsHien Ngo
General Dental Practice, School of Dentistry, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4000, Australia
Dent Clin North Am 54:551-63. 2010..The importance of GIC, as a tool, in caries management, in minimal intervention dentistry (MI), and Caries Management by Risk Assessment (CAMBRA) also will be highlighted...
- In-vitro evidence for efficacy of antimicrobial mouthrinsesPauline C Pan
J and J Consumer and Personal Products Worldwide, Division of J and J Consumer Companies Inc, 185 Tabor Road, Morris Plains, NJ 07950, USA
J Dent 38:S16-20. 2010..The objective of this study was to compare the antimicrobial activity of commercially available antiseptic mouthrinses against saliva-derived plaque biofilms in static and flow-through biofilm systems in vitro...
- A comparison of caries rates in non-institutionalized individuals with and without Down syndromeKaren Fung
Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Spec Care Dentist 25:302-10. 2005..When expressed as a proportion of number of teeth, caries rates were not different in people with and without DS...
- Antibacterial surface properties of fluoride-containing resin-based sealantsSupawadee Naorungroj
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Dentistry, Department of Operative Dentistry, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Dent 38:387-91. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine the antibacterial properties of three resin-based pit and fissure sealant products: Clinpro (3M ESPE), Embrace (Pulpdent), and UltraSeal XT plus (Ultradent)...
- A 2-year community-randomized controlled trial of fluoride varnish to prevent early childhood caries in Aboriginal childrenHerenia P Lawrence
Community Dentistry Discipline, Department of Biological and Diagnostic Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 36:503-16. 2008..Montréal, QC, Canada) and caregiver counseling in preventing early childhood caries (ECC) in Aboriginal children in a 2-year community-randomized controlled trial...
- Effect of antibacterial varnishes applied to root dentin on shear bond strength of tooth-colored restorative materialsYonca Korkmaz
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Oper Dent 33:65-71. 2008..05). The highest percentage of cohesive fracture was observed in Artemis and Dyract Extra in the control group...
- Cost-analysis of school-based fluoride varnish and fluoride rinsing programsUlla Moberg Sköld
Department of Preventive Dental Care, Vastra Gotaland Region, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 66:286-92. 2008....
- Is systemic fluoride supplementation for dental caries prevention in children still justifiable?E Oganessian
Charles University in Prague, First Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Dental Research, Czech Republic
Prague Med Rep 108:306-14. 2007Introduction of systemic and topical fluorides into the prevention and control of dental caries represents the most significant issue in dentistry in the second half of the 20th century...
- Effect of rinsing with mouthwashes after brushing with a fluoridated toothpaste on salivary fluoride concentrationR M Duckworth
Caries Res 43:391-6. 2009..The use of a mouthwash with at least 100 mg F/l should minimise this risk...
- Dental sealants: a public health perspectiveRobert Isman
California Department of Health Care Services, Medi Cal Dental Services Branch, Rancho Cordova, California, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 38:735-45. 2010..Finally, the article briefly discusses the advantages of combined topical fluoride and sealant programs in public health settings...
- Scientific Basis of Iodine-Fluoride Varnish in Preventing Dental CariesR MIKE SHIRTCLIFF; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Topical fluorides have been the mainstay in the prevention of dental caries for decades. However, topical fluoride alone is not enough to thwart tooth decay in high-risk populations...
- PREVENT TRANSMIS OF MUTANS STREPTOC FR MOTHER TO CHILDWalter Bretz; Fiscal Year: 2004..be reduced in mothers of young infants by an intervention program which may include restorative procedures, topical fluorides, the use of xylitol chewing gum, and chlorhexidine varnishes; 2) to determine whether this intervention ..
- Dental Caries Traits: The Genetic ContributionWalter Bretz; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, they have no access to fluoridated water or professionally administered topical fluorides. The primary goal of this proposal is to determine, in cross-sectional and prospective data, the relative ..
- FLUORIDE TREATMENT OF INCIPIENT ROOT SURFACE CARIESSteven Levy; Fiscal Year: 1991..Although topical fluorides are clearly effective in the control of coronal caries, their efficacy in the management of root caries has ..
- Predicting Caries Risk in Underserved ToddlersMargherita Fontana; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- COST AND OUTCOMES OF TWO PROTOCOLS FOR DENTAL SEALANTSStephen Eklund; Fiscal Year: 2001..A total of 1,000 children are being enrolled over a three-year period, and will be followed for an additional two years, in order to evaluate the clinical outcomes and resource requirements for the two alternatives. ..
- Longitudinal Study of Fluoride, Diet, Caries & FluorosisSteven Levy; Fiscal Year: 2008..As studies involving recruitment and successful retention of a cohort from birth are extremely rare, the Iowa Fluoride Study offers a unique opportunity to study these relationships in unprecedented detail. ..
- Effectiveness of Sealing Caries: A Way to Reduce Disparities in Dental CariesMargherita Fontana; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gold standard methods for fluoride analysisESPERANZA MARTINEZ MIER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed study will provide an opportunity to resolve discrepancies that currently make it difficult to compare the results of the many studies dealing with fluoride analyses. ..
- Dental Care in Children With and Without Special Health Care NeedsCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, we hypothesize that CSHCN will require relatively more restorative dental care and thus have higher dental expenditures per dental visit and overall than children without special needs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fluoride Varnish Trial in High Caries Pre-SchoolersPhilip Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experimental design of this study is a randomized controlled clinical trial with two treatment groups and 250 participants per group. ..
- IN VIVO MICROCT SYSTEMMatthew Silva; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stimulating Bone Formation using constrained Tibial VibrationMatthew Silva; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2008..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A pilot study for oral health case management of children with orofacial cleftsCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of Objective Methods for Fluorosis DiagnosisESPERANZA MARTINEZ MIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Scientific Advances in CAM by Allied Health and NursingRiva Touger Decker; Fiscal Year: 2003..Intended outcomes of the annual conferences include electronically published proceedings, new and collaborative research and CAM research agendas and priorities for allied health and nursing that can be shared with the key associations. ..
- PREVENTION OF EARLY CHILDHOOD CARIES IN MEDICAL PRACTICER Rozier; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will do a limited assessment of the cost pe oral health- related quality of life. ..
- Primary Care Provider and Preventive Oral HealthCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this career development award is expected to provide to Dr. Lewis the didactic and experiential training necessary to become an independent clinical investigator focusing on pediatric and dental health services research. ..
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- International Caries Detection and Assessement SystemAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finding of the workshop will be used in a second workshop, to be organized by Dr. George Stookey, which will focus on the design of caries clinical trials and new diagnostic technology. ..
- Microbial Outcomes of Minimal Intervention TreatmentMathilde Peters; Fiscal Year: 2005..This investigation is a clinical and molecular re-entry study of sealing of caries, in support of a future full-scale clinical trial of incomplete caries removal. ..
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Michigan Oral Cancer Prevention NetworkAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2003..By the end of the 3rd year, or earlier, the MOPCN would be ready to plan and implement community-based intervention studies...
- Oral Health Status and Habits of Young Children with Developmental DelayCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Guided Pocket Recolonization (GPR) in PeriodontitisMarc Quirynen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical data will be collected after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. The results should indicate the possible role for commensal organisms in periodontal disease and subgingival biofilm formation. ..