Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic analog of natural prostaglandin E1. It produces a dose-related inhibition of gastric acid and pepsin secretion, and enhances mucosal resistance to injury. It is an effective anti-ulcer agent and also has oxytocic properties.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Administration of misoprostol by trained traditional birth attendants to prevent postpartum haemorrhage in homebirths in Pakistan: a randomised placebo-controlled trialN Mobeen
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY, USA
BJOG 118:353-61. 2011to determine if misoprostol is safe and efficacious in preventing postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) when administered by trained traditional birth attendants (TBA) at home deliveries.
- Oral misoprostol in preventing postpartum haemorrhage in resource-poor communities: a randomised controlled trialRichard J Derman
University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, MO, USA
Lancet 368:1248-53. 2006..We aimed to investigate whether oral misoprostol, a potential alternative to oxytocin, could prevent postpartum haemorrhage in a community home-birth setting.
- Misoprostol for postpartum hemorrhage prevention at home birth: an integrative review of global implementation experience to dateJeffrey Michael Smith
JHPIEGO, 1776 Massachusetts Ave, NW 300, Washington, DC 20036, USA
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:44. 2013..guidelines for the prevention and management of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) recommend oral administration of misoprostol by community health workers (CHWs)...
- Comparison of misoprostol and manual vacuum aspiration for the treatment of incomplete abortionC Bique
José Macamo Hospital, Maputo, Mozambique
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 98:222-6. 2007To compare the safety, efficacy, and acceptability of misoprostol versus manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) for treatment of incomplete abortion in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Rethinking WHO guidance: review of evidence for misoprostol use in the prevention of postpartum haemorrhageChristina S Chu
School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9LD, UK
J R Soc Med 105:336-47. 2012This article describes and critically appraises clinical trials assessing misoprostol effectiveness in preventing primary postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) in home and community settings in low- and middle-income countries...
- Introducing misoprostol for the treatment of incomplete abortion in NigeriaTalemoh Dah
Ipas, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Afr J Reprod Health 15:42-50. 2011Despite legal restriction, induced abortions and resulting complications are common in Nigeria. Misoprostol administration for incomplete abortion was introduced in 3 Nigerian hospitals...
- Misoprostol: pharmacokinetic profiles, effects on the uterus and side-effectsO S Tang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S160-7. 2007b>Misoprostol, a synthetic prostaglandin E1 analogue, is commonly used for medical abortion, cervical priming, the management of miscarriage, induction of labor and the management of postpartum hemorrhage...
- Is misoprostol a safe, effective and acceptable alternative to manual vacuum aspiration for postabortion care? Results from a randomised trial in Burkina Faso, West AfricaB Dao
Centre Hospitalier National Souro Sanou, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
BJOG 114:1368-75. 2007Previous research has demonstrated the effectiveness of misoprostol for treatment of incomplete abortion; however, few studies have systematically compared misoprostol's effectiveness with that of standard surgical care...
- Misoprostol use in developing countries: results from a multicountry studyJ Sherris
PATH, Seattle, WA, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 88:76-81. 2005To identify information and service delivery needs for obstetric/gynecologic uses of misoprostol in developing countries.
- Community-based distribution of misoprostol for treatment or prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: cost-effectiveness, mortality, and morbidity reduction analysisTori Sutherland
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 108:289-94. 2010To compare the cost-effectiveness of community-based distribution of misoprostol for prevention with misoprostol for treatment of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH).
- Comparative effectiveness, safety and acceptability of medical abortion at home and in a clinic: a systematic reviewThoai D Ngo
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, England, UK
Bull World Health Organ 89:360-70. 2011..To compare medical abortion practised at home and in clinics in terms of effectiveness, safety and acceptability...
- Where there are (few) skilled birth attendantsNdola Prata
Bixby Center for Population, Health and Sustainability, University of California Berkeley, 229 University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 6390, USA
J Health Popul Nutr 29:81-91. 2011..Training community-based birth attendants in primary and secondary prevention technologies (e.g. misoprostol, family planning, measurement of blood loss, and postpartum care) will increase the chance that women in the ..
- A randomized trial of misoprostol compared with manual vacuum aspiration for incomplete abortionAndrew Weeks
School of Reproductive and Developmental Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool Women s Hospital, Liverpool, England, UK
Obstet Gynecol 106:540-7. 2005To compare the safety, efficacy, and acceptability of misoprostol and manual vacuum aspiration for the treatment of incomplete abortion in a hospital setting in Kampala, Uganda.
- Effect of sublingual misoprostol on severe postpartum haemorrhage in a primary health centre in Guinea-Bissau: randomised double blind clinical trialLars Høj
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Aarhus University Hospital, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
BMJ 331:723. 2005To evaluate whether routine administration of sublingual misoprostol 600 microg after delivery reduces postpartum haemorrhage.
- Ulcer prevention in long-term users of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: results of a double-blind, randomized, multicenter, active- and placebo-controlled study of misoprostol vs lansoprazoleDavid Y Graham
Veterans Affairs Medical Center 111D, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Room 3A 320, Houston, TX 77030 4211, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:169-75. 2002....
- Estimation of potential effects of improved community-based drug provision, to augment health-facility strengthening, on maternal mortality due to post-partum haemorrhage and sepsis in sub-Saharan Africa: an equity-effectiveness modelChristina Pagel
Clinical Operational Research Unit, Department of Mathematics, University College London, London, UK
Lancet 374:1441-8. 2009....
- Prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: options for home births in rural EthiopiaN Prata
Bixby Center for Population, Health and Sustainability, University of California, Berkeley, School o Public Health, 229 University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Afr J Reprod Health 13:87-95. 2009..sought to determine the safety and feasibility of home-based prophylaxis of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) with misoprostol, including assessment of the need for referrals and additional interventions...
- Expectant, medical or surgical treatment for spontaneous abortion in first trimester of pregnancy: a cost analysisJoyce H S You
Centre for Pharmacoeconomics Research, School of Pharmacy, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT
Hum Reprod 20:2873-8. 2005b>Misoprostol and expectant care have been shown to be acceptable alternatives to routine surgical evacuation for treatment of spontaneous abortion in the first trimester of pregnancy...
- A randomized controlled trial comparing medical and expectant management of first trimester miscarriageJ S Bagratee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of Natal, Durban, South
Hum Reprod 19:266-71. 2004We aimed to determine whether outpatient treatment of miscarriage with vaginal misoprostol is more effective than expectant management in reducing the need for surgical evacuation of retained products of conception (ERPC).
- Vaginal misoprostol prior to insertion of an intrauterine device: an RCTKirsten Dijkhuizen
Department of Gynaecology, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 26:323-9. 2011b>Misoprostol is an agent that may ripen the cervix in nonpregnant women...
- Expanding uterotonic protection following childbirth through community-based distribution of misoprostol: operations research study in NepalSwaraj Rajbhandari
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 108:282-8. 2010To determine feasibility of community-based distribution of misoprostol for preventing postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) to pregnant woman through community volunteers working under government health services.
- Sublingual misoprostol versus intramuscular oxytocin for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage in low-risk womenPicklu Chaudhuri
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chittaranjan Sevasadan College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Child Health, Kolkata, India
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 116:138-42. 2012To compare sublingual misoprostol with intramuscular oxytocin for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) in low-risk vaginal birth.
- Training traditional birth attendants to use misoprostol and an absorbent delivery mat in home birthsNdola Prata
Bixby Center for Population, Health and Sustainability, School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, 17 University Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:2021-7. 2012..In the absence of skilled birth attendants, training TBAs in the use of misoprostol and an absorbent delivery mat to measure postpartum blood loss may strengthen the ability of TBAs to manage PPH...
- Misoprostol versus oxytocin for the reduction of postpartum blood lossT F Baskett
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 97:2-5. 2007To compare the effect of 400 mug of oral misoprostol with 5 U of intravenous oxytocin in the reduction of postpartum blood loss and prevention of postpartum hemorrhage.
- Prevention of NSAID-associated gastroduodenal injury in healthy volunteers-a randomized, double-blind, multicenter study comparing DA-9601 with misoprostolKang Nyeong Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:1074-80. 2011..This study was conducted to compare the efficacy and safety of DA-9601 with misoprostol for preventing NSAID-associated gastroduodenal injury...
- Misoprostol: first-line therapy for incomplete miscarriage in the developing worldK Gemzell-Danielsson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BJOG 114:1337-9. 2007
- Helping rural women in Pakistan to prevent postpartum hemorrhage: a quasi experimental studyAli Mohammad Mir
Population Council, Islamabad, Pakistan
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:120. 2012..The objectives of the study were to document the feasibility of distribution of misoprostol tablets by community-based providers mainly traditional birth attendants and acceptability and use of ..
- Misoprostol for preventing and treating postpartum hemorrhage in the community: a closer look at the evidenceOlufemi T Oladapo
Maternal and Fetal Health Research Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, P M B 2001, Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 119:105-10. 2012The lack of clear interpretation of clinical and operational evidence on misoprostol use for postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) in the community may jeopardize the realization of its full potential for improving women's survival...
- Function of prostaglandin E2 EP receptors in the acute outcome of rodent hypoxic ischemic encephalopathyHidetoshi Taniguchi
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Neurosci Lett 504:185-90. 2011..of EP1 signaling with the selective antagonist SC-51089 or co-activation of EP2-4 receptors with the agonist misoprostol significantly reduced HIE cerebral injury 24 h after injury...
- Pharmacy provision of medical abortifacients in a Latin American cityDiana Lara
Population Council, Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, Mexico City 04000, Mexico
Contraception 74:394-9. 2006..Nonetheless, previous research suggest that women frequently use misoprostol to self-induce abortion. In many settings, women obtain the medication from a pharmacy...
- The effect of misoprostol on postpartum contractions: a randomised comparison of three sublingual dosesA Elati
School of Women s and Children s Health, Liverpool Women s Hospital, University of Liverpool, UK
BJOG 118:466-73. 2011To compare the postpartum uterine activity and side effects of various doses of sublingual misoprostol and intramuscular oxytocin.
- Sublingual misoprostol versus standard surgical care for treatment of incomplete abortion in five sub-Saharan African countriesTara Shochet
Gynuity Health Projects, 15 E, 26th St, Suite 801, New York, NY 10010, USA
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:127. 2012..Standard post-abortion care has involved surgical intervention but can be hard to access in these areas. Misoprostol provides an alternative to surgical intervention that could increase access to abortion care...
- Results and lessons learned from a small medical abortion clinical study in TurkeyAyse Akin
Haceteppe University Medical School, Department of Public Health, Ankara, Turkey
Contraception 70:401-6. 2004..All eligible consenting women were given 200 mg oral mifepristone at the clinic followed by 400 microg oral misoprostol 2 days later either at home or at the clinic. The overall success rate of 84...
- A randomized controlled trial of 400-μg sublingual misoprostol versus manual vacuum aspiration for the treatment of incomplete abortion in two Egyptian hospitalsRasha Dabash
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 111:131-5. 2010To compare the safety, efficacy, and acceptability of 400-μg sublingual misoprostol with that of manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) in 2 Egyptian hospitals.
- Prostaglandin E(2) and misoprostol induce neurite retraction in Neuro-2a cellsJavaneh Tamiji
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 398:450-6. 2010..The prenatal exposure to the drug misoprostol, a prostaglandin type E analogue, has also been linked to a number of neurodevelopmental defects...
- Misoprostol for treatment of incomplete abortion at the regional hospital level: results from TanzaniaB Shwekerela
Kagera Regional Hospital, Bukoba, Tanzania
BJOG 114:1363-7. 2007To investigate the safety, efficacy, and acceptability of misoprostol versus manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) for treatment of incomplete abortion.
- Evacuation interval after vaginal misoprostol for preabortion cervical priming: a randomized trialK Singh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Obstet Gynecol 94:431-4. 1999To determine the optimal interval for evacuation after preabortion cervical priming with vaginal misoprostol.
- How often and under which circumstances do Mexican pharmacy vendors recommend misoprostol to induce an abortion?Diana Lara
Ibis Reproductive Health, Oakland, CA, USA
Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health 37:75-83. 2011b>Misoprostol was used by women across Mexico to induce abortion even before 2007, when first-trimester abortion was legalized in Mexico City...
- A prospective randomized study to compare the use of repeated doses of vaginal with sublingual misoprostol in the management of first trimester silent miscarriagesOi Shan Tang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Hum Reprod 18:176-81. 2003A randomized controlled trial comparing sublingual with vaginal administration of misoprostol for medical management of silent miscarriages.
- Comparison between the sublingual and oral route of misoprostol for pre-abortion cervical priming in first trimester abortionsPikee Saxena
Department of Reproductive Biomedicine, National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Hum Reprod 19:77-80. 2004b>Misoprostol has been used for achieving cervical priming before suction evacuation (SE) by the oral or vaginal route, although both routes have their shortcomings...
- Cervical dilation in second-trimester abortionJennifer L Hayes
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburg, PA 15213, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 52:171-8. 2009..prepared with osmotic dilators such as laminaria, Lamicel, or Dilapan-S, or with pharmacologic agents such as misoprostol. Dilapan-S and Lamicel achieve their maximum dilation faster than laminaria, making same-day procedures ..
- Pilot study on the use of repeated doses of sublingual misoprostol in termination of pregnancy up to 12 weeks gestation: efficacy and acceptabilityOi Shan Tang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Hum Reprod 17:654-8. 2002A sublingual misoprostol-alone regimen was used in 50 women requesting medical abortion at up to 12 weeks gestation. The efficacy and acceptability of this regimen were studied.
- Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on the effect of misoprostol on ease of consecutive insertion of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine systemOskari Heikinheimo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Contraception 81:481-6. 2010b>Misoprostol has been studied intensively to produce cervical dilatation. To date, no studies have evaluated the effectiveness, safety or acceptability of this treatment for repeat intrauterine device insertions.
- Oral misoprostol for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage by paramedical workers in IndiaN Chandhiok
Division of Reproductive Health and Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 92:170-5. 2006To study whether paramedical workers from rural primary health centers in India are able to administer oral misoprostol and actively manage the third stage of labor to prevent postpartum hemorrhage (PPH).
- Mifepristone-misoprostol abortion: a trial in rural and urban Maharashtra, IndiaKurus Coyaji
K E M Hospital, Pune, India
Contraception 66:33-40. 2002..abortion in developing countries, we investigated the safety, efficacy, and acceptability of mifepristone-misoprostol abortion in the outpatient family planning departments of two urban hospitals and one rural hospital in India...
- Treatment of post-partum haemorrhage with sublingual misoprostol versus oxytocin in women not exposed to oxytocin during labour: a double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trialBeverly Winikoff
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 375:210-6. 2010..b>Misoprostol, an effective uterotonic agent with several advantages for resource-poor settings, has been investigated as an ..
- Treatment of post-partum haemorrhage with sublingual misoprostol versus oxytocin in women receiving prophylactic oxytocin: a double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trialJennifer Blum
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY 10010, USA
Lancet 375:217-23. 2010..b>Misoprostol, a potential alternative, is increasingly used ad hoc for treatment of post-partum haemorrhage; however, ..
- Community-based availability of misoprostol: is it safe?Ndola Prata
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Afr J Reprod Health 13:117-28. 2009This paper evaluates the safety and acceptability of long-term community-based use of misoprostol for management of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) in home-births, by comparing deliveries with and without misoprostol use in communities of ..
- Autism and Möbius sequence: an exploratory study of children in northeastern BrazilJosé Marcelino Bandim
Departamento de Neuropsiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 61:181-5. 2003..Among five children with autism, three (60%) had positive history of misoprostol exposure during the first trimester of pregnancy and from two cases autistic-like, one (50%) had positive ..
- Effects of misoprostol on uterine contractility following different routes of administrationA Aronsson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Karolinska Institute Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Reprod 19:81-4. 2004The effect of misoprostol administered by different routes on pregnant uterine contractility was investigated.
- Small bowel injury by low-dose enteric-coated aspirin and treatment with misoprostol: a pilot studyToshio Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:1279-82. 2008With capsule endoscopy, the ulcerogenic effect of low-dose enteric-coated aspirin on the small bowel and the therapeutic effect of misoprostol on intestinal injury were evaluated.
- Misoprostol and declining abortion-related morbidity in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: a temporal associationSuellen Miller
Women s Global Health Imperative, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94105 3444, USA
BJOG 112:1291-6. 2005To validate anecdotal reports that abortion-related complications decreased in the Dominican Republic after the introduction of misoprostol into the country.
- Assessing the global availability of misoprostolMaria M Fernandez
Product Promotion and Distribution Unit, Ipas, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 105:180-6. 2009To assess the worldwide availability of misoprostol. Documenting the extent of misoprostol use in obstetrics-gynecology is difficult because the drug typically is unregistered for such indications.
- Pharmacokinetics and adverse-effect profile of rectally administered misoprostol in the third stage of laborRehan Uddin Khan
Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 101:968-74. 2003To characterize the pharmacokinetics and adverse-effect profile of rectally administered misoprostol.
- Misoprostol administered by epithelial routes: Drug absorption and uterine responseKaren R Meckstroth
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Obstet Gynecol 108:582-90. 2006To quantify and compare serum levels and uterine effects following vaginal (dry), vaginal (moistened), buccal, and rectal misoprostol administration.
- The effect of orally and vaginally administered misoprostol on inflammatory mediators and cervical ripening during early pregnancyAnnette Aronsson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division for Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institute, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Contraception 72:33-9. 2005The objective of the present study was to investigate the effect of vaginally and orally administered misoprostol on the local cervical inflammatory response.
- Two routes of administration for misoprostol in the treatment of incomplete abortion: a randomized clinical trialAyisha Diop
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY 10010, USA
Contraception 79:456-62. 2009This study was conducted to compare the safety, effectiveness and acceptability of 400 mcg sublingual misoprostol and 600 mcg oral misoprostol for treatment of incomplete abortion.
- Home self-administration of vaginal misoprostol for medical abortion at 50-63 days compared with gestation of below 50 daysH Kopp Kallner
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Department of Women s and Children s Health, Karolinska Institutet Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Reprod 25:1153-7. 2010Home use of misoprostol for termination of pregnancy is still controversial in many countries. Acceptability of home use of misoprostol has been investigated in pregnancies below 49 days gestation...
- Misoprostol dose and route after mifepristone for early medical abortion: a randomised controlled noninferiority trialH von Hertzen
Department of Reproductive Health and Research, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
BJOG 117:1186-96. 2010To compare 400 and 800 microg sublingual or vaginal misoprostol 24 hours after 200 mg mifepristone for noninferiority regarding efficacy in achieving complete abortion for pregnancy termination up to 63 days of gestation.
- A comparison of tamoxifen and misoprostol to misoprostol alone for early pregnancy terminationJ K Jain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Women s and Children s Hospital, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Contraception 60:353-6. 1999A study was undertaken to determine whether the combination of oral tamoxifen and moistened misoprostol administered vaginally was superior to that of placebo and moistened misoprostol administered vaginally for elective termination of ..
- Prevention of postpartum hemorrhage with misoprostolZ Alfirevic
School of Reproductive and Developmental Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S198-201. 2007As a stable, orally active and cheap uterotonic, misoprostol would appear ideally suited to the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) in the developing world...
- Acceptability and feasibility of early pregnancy termination by mifepristone-misoprostol. Results of a large multicenter trial in the United States. Mifepristone Clinical Trials GroupB Winikoff
Population Council, New York, NY, USA
Arch Fam Med 7:360-6. 1998To evaluate whether the regimen of oral mifepristone and misoprostol for medical abortion is acceptable to women and providers, in the United States, including physicians, nurses, and counselors, and whether proposed modifications of ..
- Assessment of pain after elective abortion relating to the use of misoprostol for dilatation of the cervixAlexandra Gagné
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec QC
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:244-53. 2010Our objective was to compare the use of misoprostol to that of laminaria tents for dilatation of the cervix before a surgical elective abortion (EAB) during the first trimester, with regard to the pain caused (1) during insertion, for ..
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of surgical versus medical management of early pregnancy lossMary Rausch
North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York, USA
Fertil Steril 97:355-60. 2012..To determine the cost-effectiveness of medical and surgical management of early pregnancy loss...
- Economic evaluation of misoprostol in the treatment of early pregnancy failure compared to curettage after an expectant managementG C M Graziosi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Antonius Hospital, Koekoekslaan 1, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 20:1067-71. 2005..Direct and indirect costs of a strategy starting with misoprostol in treatment of early pregnancy failure as compared to curettage is therefore performed.
- Introduction of misoprostol for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage at the community level in SenegalMohamed Diadhiou
Centre de Formation et de Recherche en Santé de la Reproduction, Maternité Hôpital Aristide Le Dantec, Dakar, Senegal
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 115:251-5. 2011To demonstrate that training ensures correct administration of oral misoprostol by auxiliary midwives for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) among women giving birth at the community level in Senegal.
- Sublingual misoprostol versus oxytocin infusion to reduce blood loss at cesarean sectionN Vimala
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 92:106-10. 2006To compare the effectiveness of sublingual misoprostol administered immediately after delivery of the neonate at cesarean section, with intravenous oxytocin infusion in prevention of uterine atony and thereby reducing blood loss at ..
- Termination of second-trimester pregnancy by mifepristone combined with misoprostol versus intra-amniotic injection of ethacridine lactate (Rivanol®): a systematic review of Chinese trialsShu Ping Hou
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, 200233, China
Contraception 84:214-23. 2011Mifepristone combined with misoprostol for second-trimester abortion (MM) and intra-amniotic injection of ethacridine lactate (EL; Rivanol®) are the common methods for termination of second-trimester pregnancy in China...
- A comparison of medical management with misoprostol and surgical management for early pregnancy failureJun Zhang
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 353:761-9. 2005b>Misoprostol is increasingly used to treat women who have a failed pregnancy in the first trimester. We assessed the efficacy, safety, and acceptability of this treatment in a large, randomized trial.
- Systematic review of randomized controlled trials of misoprostol to prevent postpartum hemorrhageJ Villar
United Nations Development Programme United Nations Population Fund World Health Organization World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Obstet Gynecol 100:1301-12. 2002To assess the effects of prophylactic misoprostol use in the third stage of labor compared with injectable uterotonics or placebo or no treatment.
- Treating miscarriages: a randomised study of cost-effectiveness in medical or surgical choiceM Niinimaki
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
BJOG 116:984-90. 2009..The aim was to carry out a cost effectiveness analysis (CEA) of medical and surgical treatment of miscarriage using quantitative and qualitative indicators...
- Randomised trial of intravaginal misoprostol and intracervical Foley catheter for cervical ripening and induction of labourA T Owolabi
Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perinatology, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 25:565-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the safety and efficacy of intravaginal misoprostol and an intracervical Foley's balloon catheter for preinduction cervical ripening and labour induction...
- A randomized study comparing rectally administered misoprostol versus Syntometrine combined with an oxytocin infusion for the cessation of primary post partum hemorrhageA U Lokugamage
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Free and University College London School, Gower Street Campus, 86 96 Chenies Mews, London WC1E 6HX, UK
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:835-9. 2001..Hemorrhage can occur despite active management of the third stage of labor. Presently, misoprostol (Cytotec, Searle Pharmaceuticals) is the only thermostable uterotonic agent potentially available which would ..
- Postpartum misoprostol for preventing maternal mortality and morbidityG Justus Hofmeyr
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, East London Hospital Complex, University of the Witwatersrand, University of FortHare, Eastern Cape Department of Health, East London, South
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 7:CD008982. 2013The primary objective of postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) prevention and treatment is to reduce maternal deaths. Misoprostol has the major public health advantage over injectable medication that it can more easily be distributed at community ..
- Increasing women's choices in medical abortion: a study of misoprostol 400 microg swallowed immediately or held sublingually following 200 mg mifepristoneAyse Akin
Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 14:169-75. 2009To assess the efficacy and acceptability of two misoprostol regimens (400 microg oral or sublingual) following mifepristone for medical abortion.
- Effects of prophylactic misoprostol administration prior to intrauterine device insertion in nulliparous womenAlison B Edelman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Contraception 84:234-9. 2011This study was conducted to examine the effects of prophylactic misoprostol prior to intrauterine device (IUD) placement in nulliparous women.
- Evaluation of the introduction of a new treatment for the termination of pregnancy in The NetherlandsJoseph F G M Brouns
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Zaans Medical Center, Zaandam, The Netherlands
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:1210-3. 2010..Suboptimal treatment regimens will frustrate patients and doctors and deprive future patients from the most efficacious and patient friendly treatment regimes available...
- Monitoring medical abortion using mifepristone/misoprostol combination with ultrasonogram and serum human chorionic gonadotropinSzu Yuan Chou
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Taipei Medical University Wan Fang Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 45:48-52. 2006The oral mifepristone/misoprostol combination (MMC) is safe for medical abortion in early pregnancy...
- A randomized controlled trial of different buccal misoprostol doses in mifepristone medical abortionErica Chong
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY 10010, USA
Contraception 86:251-6. 2012An 800-mcg dose of buccal misoprostol following mifepristone has been shown to be highly effective in terminating pregnancies through 63 days since the last menstrual period (LMP) (B. Winikoff, I.G. Dzuba, M.D. Creinin, et al...
- Management of early pregnancy lossG C M Graziosi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 86:337-46. 2004..In order to assess the available evidence on the management of early pregnancy loss, we performed a meta-analysis on the subject...
- High fever following postpartum administration of sublingual misoprostolJ Durocher
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY, USA
BJOG 117:845-52. 2010To explore what triggers an elevated body temperature of > or =40.0 degrees C in some women given misoprostol, a prostaglandin E1 analogue, for postpartum haemorrhage (PPH).
- Endometrial thickness after misoprostol use for early pregnancy failureM D Creinin
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 86:22-6. 2004To assess if there was any potential relationship between endometrial thickness and final treatment outcome in women successfully treated with misoprostol for a first trimester anembryonic gestation, embryonic demise or fetal demise.
- Early termination of pregnancy by single-dose 800 microg misoprostol compared with surgical evacuationSudha Prasad
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India
Fertil Steril 91:28-31. 2009To assess the efficacy, safety, and acceptability of early termination of pregnancy by vaginal administration of a single dose of misoprostol.
- Misoprostol versus curettage in women with early pregnancy failure after initial expectant management: a randomized trialG C M Graziosi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Antonius Hospital, Koekoekslaan 1, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 19:1894-9. 2004Little is known about the effectiveness of misoprostol treatment in women with early pregnancy failure who have been managed expectantly. We therefore performed a randomized trial on this subject.
- Two distinct oral routes of misoprostol in mifepristone medical abortion: a randomized controlled trialBeverly Winikoff
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, New York 10010, USA
Obstet Gynecol 112:1303-10. 2008To study the efficacy, safety, and acceptability of oral immediately swallowed and buccal misoprostol 800 mcg after mifepristone 200 mg for terminating pregnancy through 63 days since the last menstrual period (LMP).
- Misoprostol versus cervagem for the induction of labour to terminate pregnancy in the second and third trimester: a systematic reviewJodie M Dodd
Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide, 72 King William Road, North Adelaide 5006, Australia
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 125:3-8. 2006to compare the benefits and harms of misoprostol to induce labour in the second and third trimester of pregnancy with cervagem.
- Acceptability of home-use of misoprostol in medical abortionChristian Fiala
Division for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Hospital Institute, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Contraception 70:387-92. 2004Home-use of misoprostol would reduce the number of visits and improve access to medical abortion. We evaluated acceptance of home-use of misoprostol among women and their partners.
- Rectal versus oral misoprostol for active management of third stage of labor: a randomized controlled trialH A Mansouri
King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Arch Gynecol Obstet 283:935-9. 2011To test that rectal misoprostol is effective for active management of third stage of labor, and probably with less side effects than oral misoprostol.
- Mifepristone and misoprostol administered simultaneously versus 24 hours apart for abortion: a randomized controlled trialMitchell D Creinin
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences and Magee Womens Research Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3180, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:885-94. 2007Mifepristone and oral misoprostol are typically used for medical abortion in women up to 49 days of gestation, with a 36- to 48-hour interval between the medications...
- Prostaglandin analogue misoprostol attenuates neurotoxin 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium-induced mitochondrial damage and cell death in differentiated PC12 cellsEun Joo Choi
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul 156 756, South Korea
Brain Res Bull 77:293-300. 2008..The present study assessed the preventive effect of a prostaglandin E(1) analogue misoprostol against the toxicity of parkinsonian neurotoxin 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP(+)) with respect to the ..
- Thalidomide and misoprostol: Ophthalmologic manifestations and associations both expected and unexpectedMarilyn T Miller
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:667-76. 2009..American children who were born after an unsuccessful attempt to induce abortion with the prostaglandin drug misoprostol (Cytotec). Aberrant tearing also occurs in some individuals with Möbius syndrome...
- Salicylate inhibition of rat mammary carcinogenesis and angiogenesis in female rat compatible with misoprostol administrationFranco Ghezzo
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita di Torino, I 10043 Orbassano TO, Italy
Int J Oncol 26:697-702. 2005..Although misoprostol is a prostaglandin analogous its concomitant administration did not compromise the salicylate anti-tumour effect...
- Comparison of sublingual misoprostol, intravenous oxytocin, and intravenous methylergometrine in active management of the third stage of laborGunjan Singh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College of Medical Sciences, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi, India
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 107:130-4. 2009To compare the efficacy and adverse effects of sublingual misoprostol, intravenous oxytocin, and intravenous methylergometrine in active management of the third stage of labor (AMTSL).
- Treatment of incomplete abortion and miscarriage with misoprostolJ Blum
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY 10010, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:S186-9. 2007A literature review was conducted to determine whether misoprostol is an effective treatment for incomplete abortion and, if so, to recommend an appropriate regimen...
- Does the route of administration of misoprostol make a difference? The uterotonic effect and side effects of misoprostol given by different routes after vaginal deliveryYap Seng Chong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 113:191-8. 2004To compare the postpartum uterotonic effect and side effects of misoprostol administered by different routes.
- A prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial on the use of mifepristone with sublingual or vaginal misoprostol for medical abortions of less than 9 weeks gestationOi Shan Tang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Hum Reprod 18:2315-8. 2003A combination of mifepristone and misoprostol provides an effective method of medical abortion for early pregnancy...
- Vaginal misoprostol administered 1, 2, or 3 days after mifepristone for early medical abortion: A randomized trialE A Schaff
Reproductive Health Program, Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, 1000 South Ave, Box 101, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
JAMA 284:1948-53. 2000The conventional timing of misoprostol administration after mifepristone for medical abortion is 2 days, but more flexible intervals, which may make the regimen more convenient, have not been studied.
- Attenuation of ischemic liver injury by prostaglandin E1 analogue, misoprostol, and prostaglandin I2 analogue, OP-41483E Totsuka
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2582, USA
J Am Coll Surg 187:276-86. 1998..This study investigated whether misoprostol, prostaglandin E1 analogue, and OP-41483, prostaglandin I2 analogue, which have fewer adverse effects with a ..
- Intravaginal misoprostol versus Foley catheter for labour induction: a meta-analysisN S Fox
Maternal Fetal Medicine Associates, PLLC, New York, USA
BJOG 118:647-54. 2011There are a number of agents used for cervical ripening prior to the induction of labour. Two commonly used agents are intravaginal misoprostol and a transcervical Foley catheter.
- Endometrial thickness and serum beta-hCG as predictors of the effectiveness of oral misoprostol in early pregnancy failureSahar M Y El-Baradie
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Al Fayom University, Egypt
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 30:877-81. 2008To evaluate ultrasonographic measurement of endometrial thickness and serum levels of chorionic gonadotropin (beta-hCG) as predictors of failure to abort completely in patients designated for uterine evacuation using oral misoprostol.
- Early medical abortion using low-dose mifepristone followed by buccal misoprostol: a large Australian observational studyPhilip Goldstone
Marie Stopes International Australia, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 197:282-6. 2012To describe the use of mifepristone in combination with buccal misoprostol in women undergoing an early medical abortion (EMA) in Australia.
- Cyclic AMP, Cytokine Modulation and Alcoholic Liver DiseaseCraig J McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evaluate the effects of combined consumption of a commercially- available adenyl cyclase agonist (Misoprostol - increases cAMP production) and a phosphodiesterase inhibitor (Pentoxyfilline - decreases cAMP breakdown) in ..
- Role of misoprostol in Clostridium sordellii endometritis in a rodent modelDavid M Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2012..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The combination oral regimen of mifepristone (MFP;also known as RU-486) and misoprostol was FDA approved in 2000 to induce abortion medically...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Pregnancy Failure Management Regimens (Pre-Fai-R)Courtney A Schreiber; Fiscal Year: 2013..management of early pregnancy failure has led to the wide-spread use of prostaglandin analogues, specifically misoprostol, for uterine evacuation...
- GENOTYPE AND PHENOTYPE OF BRAINSTEM INJURY IN AUTISMPatricia Rodier; Fiscal Year: 2007..people exposed in utero to three teratogens known to be associated with autism: thalidomide, valproic acid, and misoprostol. The investigators propose to determine whether the members of these populations who meet diagnostic criteria ..
- PROSTAGLANDIN THERAPY FOR ALCOHOLIC HEPATITISDaniell Hill; Fiscal Year: 2004..The "anticytokine" therapy to be studied in this proposal is the prostaglandin E1 analogue misoprostol. We postulated that misoprostol will both inhibit cytokine production and improve gut permeability...
- INTRAVAGINAL CONTROLLED DELIVERY OF MISOPROSTOLSHALABY SHALABY; Fiscal Year: 1999..Recently, misoprostol has received considerable interest because of its superior clinical efficacy, ease of administration, and cost...
- MUCOSAL IMMUNITY AND ORAL TOLERANCE--INNATE IMMUNITYCarol Tacket; Fiscal Year: 2001..tolerance, volunteers will be randomized to receive either placebo, rofecoxib, a selective cox-2 inhibitor, or misoprostol, a long-acting prostaglandin E1 analog during oral immunization...
- BIOBEHAVIORAL INTERVENTIONS FOR ORAL PAIN AND MUCOSITISDeborah McGuire; Fiscal Year: 2001..care The primary aim of this project is to test whether a comprehensive biobehavioral intervention combining misoprostol (a prostaglandin E1 analogue) with psychoeducation that systematically includes family caregivers will reduce ..
- Obesity, Oral Contraception and Ovarian SuppressionCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will have very good power to detect clinically important differences. Results could directly and immediately affect contraceptive practice. ..
- RCT of a Novel Oral Contraceptive Initiation MethodCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study to adoption of and adherence to oral contraceptives. We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study population. ..
- Oral contraceptives and cytochrome p450 inducersAnne Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES FOR DYSMENORRHEA IN ADOLESCENT GIRLSAnne Davis; Fiscal Year: 2002..Given their efficacy in pregnancy prevention, safety, and non-contraceptive health benefits, COC may be an ideal therapy for primary dysmenorrhea in adolescent girls. ..
- Contraceptive efficacy and body weight: Does obesity affect the risk of failure?Alison Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CARTILAGE CELL AND MATRIX RESPONSE TO JOINT LOADINGPeter Torzilli; Fiscal Year: 2008..If, as we believe, two distinct initiation mechanisms exist, then this would significantly alter how we study each disease process and how we will need to treat them to prevent the progression of the disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GROWTH PLATE CELLULAR FUNCTION FOLLOWING RADIOTHERAPYTimothy Damron; Fiscal Year: 2008..of growth plate function by fractionation and the radioprotectants amifostine [WR-2721], pentoxifylline, misoprostol, selenium, and IL-1a...
- Role of Prostaglandins & Phospholipase A in melanocytesGlynis Scott; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that PG and phospholipases stimulate HM dendricity, MS transfer &pigmentation through different mechanisms that act synergistically to modulate cutaneous pigmentation following UVR. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Improving Contraceptive Effectiveness in Obese WomenAlison B Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- ESTIMATING EFFICACY OF A MEDICAL INTERVENTIONJames Trussell; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Sleep Fragmentation Effects on Murine CII-Induced ARArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results of the study will provide a basis for submitting an R01 grant to explore mechanisms by which partial sleep deprivation in DBA/1 lac mice alter the immune response to antigen and arthritis development. ..
- SCOR on the Pathogenesis of SclerodermaArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- CII ORAL TOLERANCE INDUCTION IN RA PATIENTS OFF NSAIDSArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2001..In summary, by withdrawing NSAIDs, which interfere with oral tolerance induction, from RA patients we believe this study will fully explore the therapeutic potential of oral CII tolerance induction in RA. ..
- PDE3 Inhibitors: Selective Blockers of Oocyte MaturationJeffrey Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This approach is expected to provide a foundation for future Phase 1 trials of PDE3 inhibitors in humans. ..
- Cartilage Degeneration Following Joint TraumaPeter Torzilli; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Pathogenic Mechanisms of Fibrosis:Common GroundArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2004..Young investigator travel awards are being provided to encourage involvement of trainees and other young investigators. ..
- DEFORMATION-DEPENDENT ENZYME CLEAVAGE OF COLLAGENPeter Torzilli; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings from this study could fundamentally change our concepts of matrix enzyme function and the design of intervention approaches to include the effect the mechanical environment has on the ECM. ..
- THE ROLE OF MYCOBACTERIA IN CROHN'S DISEASEDavid Graham; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study should either confirm or refute the proposed etiologic association of M. paratuberculosis and Crohn's disease as well as the identification of patients with Crohn's disease and M. paratuberculosis. ..
- Rheumatic Disease Research Core CenterArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2006..Strong institutional support for rheumatology, superior physical resources, and a favorable intellectual environment combine to make this an opportune time to establish an RDCC at this institution. ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASESArnold Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2008..The trainees will be qualified persons with MD or PhD degrees. We have requested three trainee positions be supported each year of the training grant period (5 years). ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Blood Donation and HIV Prevention in ChinaVincanne Adams; Fiscal Year: 2006..Data collection will occur in Shanghai; overall project oversight and data analysis will occur in San Francisco, CA. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Age, Disruption, and Life Reorganization after Hurricane KatrinaVincanne Adams; Fiscal Year: 2010..Examining the process of unwanted change in later life can provide many insights about how people deal with change, the ways they adjust and accommodate it in daily life, and the effects of unwanted change on health and well-being. ..