Genomes and Genes
ciliary neurotrophic factor
Summary: A neurotrophic factor that promotes the survival of various neuronal cell types and may play an important role in the injury response in the nervous system.
Publications279 found, 100 shown here
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) for human retinal degeneration: phase I trial of CNTF delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implantsPaul A Sieving
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3896-901. 2006..In this Phase I safety trial, human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was delivered by cells transfected with the human CNTF gene and sequestered within capsules that ..
- Exogenous CNTF stimulates axon regeneration of retinal ganglion cells partially via endogenous CNTFAdrienne Müller
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Alee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:233-46. 2009..These data demonstrate that CNTF is a potent axon growth-promoting factor for mature RGCs. However, exogenously applied CNTF stimulates RGCs in vivo partially indirectly via a mechanism that depends on astrocyte-derived CNTF...
- Neuroprotective and axon growth-promoting effects following inflammatory stimulation on mature retinal ganglion cells in mice depend on ciliary neurotrophic factor and leukemia inhibitory factorMarco Leibinger
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Neurosci 29:14334-41. 2009..Here, we investigated the contribution of glial-derived ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to LI-mediated regeneration and neuroprotection using wild-type and CNTF-deficient mice...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for treatment of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degenerationKang Zhang
Shiley Eye Center and Institute for Genomic Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6241-5. 2011..In a pilot, proof of concept phase 2 study, we evaluated ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered via an intraocular encapsulated cell technology implant for the treatment of GA...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factorAx15 alters energy homeostasis, decreases body weight, and improves metabolic control in diet-induced obese and UCP1-DTA miceSusann Bluher
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 99 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 53:2787-96. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) potently reduces appetite and body weight in rodents and humans...
- Intraocular elevation of cyclic AMP potentiates ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cell axonsQi Cui
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 22:49-61. 2003..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor increased RGC viability and axonal regrowth, the latter effect substantially enhanced by coapplication ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor induces genes associated with inflammation and gliosis in the retina: a gene profiling study of flow-sorted, Müller cellsWei Xue
Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20326. 2011b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a member of the interleukin-6 cytokine family, has been implicated in the development, differentiation and survival of retinal neurons...
- Encapsulated cell-based delivery of CNTF reduces photoreceptor degeneration in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaWeng Tao
Neurotech USA, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3292-8. 2002The objective of the present study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered through encapsulated cells directly into the vitreous of the eye in an rcd1 canine model of retinitis pigmentosa...
- AAV-mediated delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor prolongs photoreceptor survival in the rhodopsin knockout mouseF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104, USA
Mol Ther 3:241-8. 2001..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to promote survival of a number of different neuronal cell types, including ..
- Serine phosphorylation and maximal activation of STAT3 during CNTF signaling is mediated by the rapamycin target mTORK Yokogami
Molecular Neuro Oncology, Neurosurgical Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02129, USA
Curr Biol 10:47-50. 2000Neuropoletic cytokines such as ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can activate multiple signaling pathways in parallel, including those involving Janus kinase (JAK)-signal transducers and activators of transcription (STATs), mitogen-..
- Central nervous system-initiated inflammation and neurotrophism in trauma: IL-1 beta is required for the production of ciliary neurotrophic factorL M Herx
Departments of Clinical Neurosciences and Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Immunol 165:2232-9. 2000..for CNS-initiated inflammation was addressed by examining the expression of the neurotrophic factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- ROCK inhibition and CNTF interact on intrinsic signalling pathways and differentially regulate survival and regeneration in retinal ganglion cellsPaul Lingor
1Department of Neurology, Georg August University Gottingen, University Medicine, Waldweg 33, 37073 Gottingen, Germany
Brain 131:250-63. 2008..The interaction of intracellular signalling pathways may, however, attenuate more pronounced synergy and has to be taken into account for future treatment strategies...
- Astrocyte-derived CNTF switches mature RGCs to a regenerative state following inflammatory stimulationAdrienne Müller
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Brain 130:3308-20. 2007..We show here that LI or zymosan induce upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in retinal astrocytes and release CNTF independent of macrophages and activate the transcription ..
- Longitudinal study of cone photoreceptors during retinal degeneration and in response to ciliary neurotrophic factor treatmentKatherine E Talcott
Department of Ophthalmology, Division of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of California at San Francisco, CA, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:2219-26. 2011To study cone photoreceptor structure and function in patients with inherited retinal degenerations treated with sustained-release ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF).
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor/leukemia inhibitory factor/gp130 receptor complex operates in the maintenance of mammalian forebrain neural stem cellsT Shimazaki
Genes and Development Research Group, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Neurosci 21:7642-53. 2001The cytokines that signal through the common receptor subunit gp130, including ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) and oncostatin M, have pleiotropic functions in CNS development...
- Oligodendrogenesis of adult neural progenitors: differential effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor and mesenchymal stem cell derived factorsFrancisco J Rivera
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Neurochem 107:832-43. 2008..Here, we hypothesized that ciliary neurotrophic factor might be a candidate for this activity, since (i) it is expressed by mesenchymal stem cells and (ii) it ..
- BMPs signal alternately through a SMAD or FRAP-STAT pathway to regulate fate choice in CNS stem cellsPrithi Rajan
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Biol 161:911-21. 2003..Thus, glial differentiation by BMP4 occurs by a novel pathway mediated by FRAP and STAT proteins. These results suggest that a single ligand can regulate cell fate by activating distinct cytoplasmic signals...
- Early onset of severe familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with a SOD-1 mutation: potential impact of CNTF as a candidate modifier geneRalf Giess
Institute for Clinical Neurobiology and Department of Neurology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 70:1277-86. 2002..Thus, we conclude that CNTF acts as a modifier gene that leads to early onset of disease in patients with FALS who have SOD-1 mutations, in patients with sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and in the hSOD-1G93A mouse model...
- Single-dose application of CNTF and BDNF improves remyelination of regenerating nerve fibers after C7 ventral root avulsion and replantationEva M Lang
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
J Neurotrauma 25:384-400. 2008..In summary, NFs stimulated reinnervation early after the lesion and, for the first time, our morphological data quantitatively indicate positive effects of CNTF + BDNF on remyelination...
- ROCK inhibition promotes adult retinal ganglion cell neurite outgrowth only in the presence of growth promoting factorsZubair Ahmed
Molecular Neuroscience Group, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Room WX2 17 Institute of Biomedical Research West, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 42:128-33. 2009..model to show that Y27632 only promotes disinhibited neurite outgrowth if RGC are co-stimulated with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptor, CNTFR alphaM W Sleeman
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, NY 10591 6707, USA
Pharm Acta Helv 74:265-72. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is expressed in glial cells within the central and peripheral nervous systems...
- The anorexigenic cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor stimulates POMC gene expression via receptors localized in the nucleus of arcuate neuronsOdile Couvreur
Neuroendocrinologie Moléculaire de la Prise Alimentaire, University of Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E458-67. 2012b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a neural cytokine that reduces appetite and body weight when administrated to rodents or humans...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor cell-based delivery prevents synaptic impairment and improves memory in mouse models of Alzheimer's diseasePierre Garcia
JE2482 Lipidomix, Nancy Universite, Vandoeuvre, France
J Neurosci 30:7516-27. 2010..We aimed to determine whether the loco-regional delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) could prevent amyloid-beta (Abeta) oligomer-induced synaptic damages and associated cognitive ..
- Chemotactic effect of ciliary neurotrophic factor on macrophages in retinal ganglion cell survival and axonal regenerationLing Ping Cen
Joint Shantou International Eye Center of Shantou University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Peoples Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:4257-66. 2007To examine whether ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has a chemotactic effect on macrophages and whether macrophages are involved in CNTF-induced retinal ganglion cell (RGC) survival and axonal regeneration after optic nerve (ON) injury.
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor protects retinal ganglion cells from axotomy-induced apoptosis via modulation of retinal glia in vivoB A van Adel
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, HSC 1R1, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Neurobiol 63:215-34. 2005Adenoviral-mediated transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to the retina rescued retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) from axotomy-induced apoptosis, presumably via activation of the high affinity CNTF receptor alpha (CNTFRalpha) ..
- CNTF induces regeneration of cone outer segments in a rat model of retinal degenerationYiwen Li
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9495. 2010..In the present work, we investigated cone degeneration secondary to rod loss in the S334ter-3 transgenic rats carrying the rhodopsin mutation S334ter...
- Crystallins of the beta/gamma-superfamily mimic the effects of lens injury and promote axon regenerationDietmar Fischer
Department of Experimental Neurology, Medical School, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, D89081 Ulm, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 37:471-9. 2008..These results demonstrate that crystallins of the beta/gamma-superfamily are the lens-derived activators of cascades, which lead to axonal regeneration and suggest that their effects might be mediated by astrocyte-derived CNTF...
- Involvement of gp130-associated cytokine signaling in Müller cell activation following optic nerve lesionMatthias Kirsch
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, Albertstr 23, Freiburg, Germany
Glia 58:768-79. 2010b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and the related cytokine leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) have been implicated in regulating astrogliosis following CNS lesions...
- Transplanted astrocytes derived from BMP- or CNTF-treated glial-restricted precursors have opposite effects on recovery and allodynia after spinal cord injuryJeannette E Davies
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Biol 7:24. 2008..This is of particular concern in the case of spinal cord injury, where recent studies have shown that transplanted neuroepithelial stem cells can generate pain syndromes...
- AAV-mediated expression of CNTF promotes long-term survival and regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cellsS G Leaver
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Gene Ther 13:1328-41. 2006..adeno-associated viral (AAV-2) vectors encoding enhanced green fluorescent protein (GFP) and either ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) or growth-associated protein-43 (GAP43) on adult ..
- Association and activation of Jak-Tyk kinases by CNTF-LIF-OSM-IL-6 beta receptor componentsN Stahl
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Science 263:92-5. 1994A recently defined family of cytokines, consisting of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF), oncostatin M (OSM), and interleukin-6 (IL-6), utilize the Jak-Tyk family of cytoplasmic tyrosine kinases...
- Cellular mechanisms associated with spontaneous and ciliary neurotrophic factor-cAMP-induced survival and axonal regeneration of adult retinal ganglion cellsKevin Park
School of Anatomy and Human Biology and Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Perth WA 6009, Australia
J Neurosci 24:10806-15. 2004..adult retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) into peripheral nerve (PN) grafts but significantly potentiated ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)-induced axonal regeneration...
- SOCS3 deletion promotes optic nerve regeneration in vivoPatrice D Smith
F M Kirby Neurobiology Center, Children s Hospital, and Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 64:617-23. 2009..Consistently, a transient upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was observed within the retina following optic nerve injury...
- Neuroprotective effect of a CNTF-expressing lentiviral vector in the quinolinic acid rat model of Huntington's diseaseL P de Almeida
Division of Surgical Research and Gene Therapy Center, Lausanne Medical School, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 8:433-46. 2001..further examined with a potential therapeutic gene for the treatment of Huntington's disease, the human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Regulation of rod phototransduction machinery by ciliary neurotrophic factorRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 26:13523-30. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes photoreceptor survival but also suppresses electroretinogram (ERG) responses...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in combination with its soluble receptor (CNTFRalpha) increases connexin43 expression and suppresses growth of C6 glioma cellsMark A Ozog
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, N6A 5C1, Canada
Cancer Res 62:3544-8. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine whether ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can be used to increase endogenous connexin43 levels, increase intercellular coupling, and ..
- Gene expression in arcuate nucleus-median eminence of rats treated with leptin or ciliary neurotrophic factorSuresh Ambati
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 2771, USA
Biofactors 31:133-44. 2007b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leptin are cytokine-like% hormones and act on their corresponding receptors in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus (ARC)...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor activates NF-κB to enhance mitochondrial bioenergetics and prevent neuropathy in sensory neurons of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rodentsAli Saleh
Division of Neurodegenerative Disorders, St Boniface Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Neuropharmacology 65:65-73. 2013..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes sensory neuron survival and axon regeneration and prevents axonal dwindling, nerve ..
- The use of laminin modified linear ordered collagen scaffolds loaded with laminin-binding ciliary neurotrophic factor for sciatic nerve regeneration in ratsJiani Cao
Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Biomaterials 32:3939-48. 2011..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) plays a critical role in peripheral nerve regeneration...
- In vivo localization and characterization of functional ciliary neurotrophic factor receptors which utilize JAK-STAT signalingA J MacLennan
Department of Neuroscience, University of Florida College of Medicine, University of Florida Brain Institute, Gainesville, FL 32610 0244, USA
Neuroscience 99:761-72. 2000The ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor is critically involved in embryonic motor neuron development. Postnatally, it may contribute to neuronal maintenance and regeneration...
- A putative physiological role of hypothalamic CNTF in the control of energy homeostasisC M Vacher
Laboratoire de Neuroendocrinologie Moléculaire de la Prise Alimentaire, UMR 1197 INRA, Université Paris 11, Bâtiment 447, 91405 Orsay, France
FEBS Lett 582:3832-8. 2008..Thus endogenous CNTF may act, in some individuals, as a protective factor against weight gain during hypercaloric diet and could account for individual differences in the susceptibility to obesity...
- Two-year intraocular delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor by encapsulated cell technology implants in patients with chronic retinal degenerative diseasesKonrad Kauper
Neurotech Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Lincoln, Rhode Island, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:7484-91. 2012To evaluate the pharmacokinetics of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered over a period of up to 2 years by an intraocular encapsulated cell technology (ECT) implant in patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) and geographic ..
- CXCL12/SDF-1 facilitates optic nerve regenerationAnnemarie Heskamp
Department of Neurology, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Merowingerplatz 1a, Dusseldorf, Germany
Neurobiol Dis 55:76-86. 2013..These data suggest that the disinhibitory effect of CXCL12 towards myelin may be a useful feature to facilitate optic nerve regeneration, particularly in combination with other axon growth stimulatory treatments...
- Randomized trial of ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for retinitis pigmentosaDavid G Birch
Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 156:283-292.e1. 2013To evaluate the safety and effect on visual function of ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered via an intraocular encapsulated cell implant for the treatment of retinitis pigmentosa (RP).
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced sprouting preserves motor function in a mouse model of mild spinal muscular atrophyChristian M Simon
Institute for Clinical Neurobiology, Josef Schneider Str 11, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:973-86. 2010..Confocal analysis reveals pronounced sprouting of innervating motor axons. As ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is highly expressed in Schwann cells, we investigated its role for a compensatory sprouting ..
- Continued administration of ciliary neurotrophic factor protects mice from inflammatory pathology in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisTanja Kuhlmann
Department of Neuropathology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Am J Pathol 169:584-98. 2006..We show that daily administration (days 8 to 24) of murine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a neurotrophic factor that has been described as a survival and differentiation factor for ..
- Long-distance axonal regeneration induced by CNTF gene transfer is impaired by axonal misguidance in the injured adult optic nerveVincent Pernet
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich, and Dept of Health Sciences and Technology, ETH Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 51:202-13. 2013..The infection of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) with an adeno-associated virus serotype 2 - ciliary neurotrophic factor (AAV2.CNTF) was previously shown to stimulate axonal regeneration...
- Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus depends on ciliary neurotrophic factor and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signalingStephan Müller
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:431-41. 2009..The gp130-associated cytokines ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) have been implicated in regulating NSC self-renewal and ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents degeneration of motor neurons in mouse mutant progressive motor neuronopathyM Sendtner
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Martinsried, Germany
Nature 358:502-4. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) supports the survival of embryonic motor neurons in vitro and in vivo, and prevents lesion-mediated degeneration of rat motor neurons during early post-natal stages...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signals through STAT3-SOCS3 pathway and protects rat pancreatic islets from cytokine-induced apoptosisLuiz F Rezende
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Cytokine 46:65-71. 2009..These findings indicate that CNTF may be a potential therapeutic tool against Type 1 and/or Type 2 diabetes...
- Cryptic physiological trophic support of motoneurons by LIF revealed by double gene targeting of CNTF and LIFM Sendtner
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Curr Biol 6:686-94. 1996..The multifactorial support of motoneurons represents a system of high security, because the inactivation of individual ligands has either no detectable, or relatively small, atrophic or degenerative effect on motoneurons...
- Activation of GABA(A) receptors facilitates astroglial differentiation induced by ciliary neurotrophic factor in neural progenitors isolated from fetal rat brainMasanori Yoneyama
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Neurochem 100:1667-79. 2007..facilitated the subsequent expression of an astroglial marker protein in cells differentiated by ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) toward an astroglial lineage, with a concomitant decrease in the neuronal marker protein ..
- Transplantation of ciliary neurotrophic factor-expressing adult oligodendrocyte precursor cells promotes remyelination and functional recovery after spinal cord injuryQilin Cao
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Neurosci 30:2989-3001. 2010..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was the most effective neurotrophic factor to promote oligodendrocyte (OL) differentiation and ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor corrects obesity and diabetes associated with leptin deficiency and resistanceI Gloaguen
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti IRBM, Via Pontina Km 30 600, 00040 Pomezia, Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6456-61. 1997Receptor subunits for the neurocytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) share sequence similarity with the receptor for leptin, an adipocyte-derived cytokine involved in body weight homeostasis...
- Neuroprotective properties of ciliary neurotrophic factor for cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion neuronsKazunori Sango
Division of Neural Development and Regeneration, Department of Developmental Morphology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashidai, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 130:669-79. 2008We observed that recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) enhanced survival and neurite outgrowth of cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor and stress stimuli activate the Jak-STAT pathway in retinal neurons and gliaW M Peterson
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, New York 10591, USA
J Neurosci 20:4081-90. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is pleiotrophic for central, peripheral, and sensory neurons. In the mature retina, CNTF treatment enhances survival of retinal ganglion and photoreceptor cells exposed to otherwise lethal perturbation...
- Upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor in reactive Müller cells in the rat retina following optic nerve transectionM H Chun
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, 137 701, Seoul, South Korea
Brain Res 868:358-62. 2000We have investigated the expression and cellular localization of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in the rat retina following optic nerve transection...
- Intraocular gene delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor results in significant loss of retinal function in normal mice and in the Prph2Rd2/Rd2 model of retinal degenerationF C Schlichtenbrede
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK
Gene Ther 10:523-7. 2003..The most commonly studied factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), has been shown to preserve retinal morphology and to promote cell survival in a variety of ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor is an early lesion-induced retrograde signal for axotomized facial motoneuronsMatthias Kirsch
Institute of Anatomy, University of Freiburg, P O Box 111, D 79001 Freiburg, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 24:130-8. 2003..Other cytokines like leukemia inhibitory factor obviously become active at later time points...
- Effects of adeno-associated virus-vectored ciliary neurotrophic factor on retinal structure and function in mice with a P216L rds/peripherin mutationDean Bok
Department of Neurobiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Exp Eye Res 74:719-35. 2002Past studies have shown that acute administration of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can prolong the survival of retinal photoreceptor cells that have undergone phototoxic injury or that express gene mutations...
- Sortilin facilitates signaling of ciliary neurotrophic factor and related helical type 1 cytokines targeting the gp130/leukemia inhibitory factor receptor beta heterodimerJakob Vejby Larsen
MIND Center, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Mol Cell Biol 30:4175-87. 2010..Here we report that ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and related ligands targeting the established CNTF receptor alpha, binds to sortilin with high ..
- Function and mechanism of CNTF/LIF signaling in retinogenesisKun Do Rhee
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:647-54. 2010b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) exhibit multiple biological effects in the developing vertebrate retina...
- Long-term protection of retinal structure but not function using RAAV.CNTF in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Ther 4:461-72. 2001..aimed to determine whether intravitreal administration of an adeno-associated virus (AAV) carrying ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can achieve long-term morphological and physiological rescue of photoreceptors in animal models ..
- Cytokine-induced SOCS expression is inhibited by cAMP analogue: impact on regeneration in injured retinaKevin K Park
School of Anatomy and Human Biology M309, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:313-24. 2009..Survival and regeneration of RGCs is increased by intraocular injections of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and axonal regeneration is further enhanced by co-injection of a cyclic AMP analogue (CPT-cAMP)...
- Purification, cloning, and expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)L F Lin
Protein Chemistry Group, Synergen, Inc, Boulder, CO 80301
Science 246:1023-5. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is one of a small number of proteins with neurotrophic activities distinct from nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- gp130 signaling in proopiomelanocortin neurons mediates the acute anorectic response to centrally applied ciliary neurotrophic factorRuth Janoschek
Institute for Genetics and Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne, Department of Mouse Genetics and Metabolism, University of Cologne, D 50674 Cologne, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:10707-12. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) exerts anorectic effects by overcoming leptin resistance via activation of hypothalamic neurons. However, the exact site of CNTF action in the hypothalamus has not yet been identified...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor mediates dopamine D2 receptor-induced CNS neurogenesis in adult micePeng Yang
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center and Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Neurosci 28:2231-41. 2008..Degeneration of dopaminergic projections in Parkinson's disease and animals reduces, whereas ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes, neurogenesis...
- Cellular and subcellular patterns of expression of bFGF and CNTF in the normal and light stressed adult rat retinaN Walsh
NSW Retinal Dystrophy Research Centre, Department of Anatomy and Histology, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Exp Eye Res 72:495-501. 2001..stressed rat retina of the neuroprotective factors bFGF (basic fibroblast growth factor) and CNTF (ciliary neurotrophic factor)...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor activates spinal cord astrocytes, stimulating their production and release of fibroblast growth factor-2, to increase motor neuron survivalPhillip J Albrecht
Department of Neuroscience and Anatomy, Milton S Hershey College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Exp Neurol 173:46-62. 2002At focal CNS injury sites, several cytokines accumulate, including ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta)...
- Molecular cloning, expression and regional distribution of rat ciliary neurotrophic factorK A Stöckli
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Planegg Martinsried, FRG
Nature 342:920-3. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was originally characterized as a survival factor for chick ciliary neurons in vitro...
- Microglia-Müller glia cell interactions control neurotrophic factor production during light-induced retinal degenerationTakayuki Harada
Department of Degenerative Neurological Diseases, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Kodaira, Tokyo 187 8502
J Neurosci 22:9228-36. 2002..photoreceptor layer and alter expression of neurotrophic factors such as nerve growth factor (NGF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF)...
- Effects of interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor on the proliferation and differentiation of adult human myoblastsXuan Wang
Department of Physiology, Capital Medical University, Key Laboratory for Neurodegenerative Disorders of the Ministry of Education, 10 You An Men, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, P R China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 28:113-24. 2008Our previous studies have demonstrated that ciliary neurotrophic factor, a member of the interleukin-6-type cytokine superfamily, could inhibit the differentiation of myoblasts into mature myotubes at a certain concentration...
- Long-term lentiviral-mediated expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor in the striatum of Huntington's disease transgenic miceDiana Zala
Institute of Neuroscience, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Exp Neurol 185:26-35. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to prevent behavioral deficits and striatal degeneration in neurotoxic models of Huntington's disease (HD), but its effect in a genetic model has not been evaluated...
- Selective vulnerability and pruning of phasic motoneuron axons in motoneuron disease alleviated by CNTFSan Pun
Friedrich Miescher Institut, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Neurosci 9:408-19. 2006..It is alleviated by ciliary neurotrophic factor and triggers proteasome-dependent pruning of peripheral axon branches...
- Activation of the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signalling pathway in cortical neurons of multiple sclerosis patientsRanjan Dutta
Department of Neurosciences, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Brain 130:2566-76. 2007..67 transcripts increased in MS cortex nine were related to the signalling mediated by the neurotrophin ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Stimulation of axon regeneration in the mature optic nerve by intravitreal application of the toll-like receptor 2 agonist Pam3CysThomas G Hauk
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:459-64. 2010....
- Nuclear factor-kappaB activation via tyrosine phosphorylation of inhibitor kappaB-alpha is crucial for ciliary neurotrophic factor-promoted neurite growth from developing neuronsDenis Gallagher
School of Biosciences, Cardiff CF10 3US, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:9664-9. 2007The cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes the growth of neural processes from many kinds of neurons in the developing and regenerating adult nervous system, but the intracellular signaling mechanisms mediating this ..
- Requirement of serine phosphorylation for formation of STAT-promoter complexesX Zhang
Brookdale Center for Molecular Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Science 267:1990-4. 1995..DNA complex formation was inversely correlated with the affinity of Stat3-Stat3 for the binding site. Thus, serine phosphorylation appears to enhance or to be required for the formation of stable Stat3-Stat3.DNA complexes...
- CNTF and LIF act on neuronal cells via shared signaling pathways that involve the IL-6 signal transducing receptor component gp130N Y Ip
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591
Cell 69:1121-32. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has a variety of actions within the nervous system...
- Lentiviral-mediated transfer of CNTF to schwann cells within reconstructed peripheral nerve grafts enhances adult retinal ganglion cell survival and axonal regenerationYing Hu
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, UWA Centre for Medical Research, Perth, Australia
Mol Ther 11:906-15. 2005..can further enhance regeneration, adult SCs were transduced with lentiviral vectors encoding either ciliary neurotrophic factor (LV-CNTF) or green fluorescent protein (LV-GFP)...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor stimulates muscle glucose uptake by a PI3-kinase-dependent pathway that is impaired with obesityGregory R Steinberg
St Vincent s Institute of Medical Research and Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Diabetes 58:829-39. 2009b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) reverses muscle insulin resistance by increasing fatty acid oxidation through gp130-LIF receptor signaling to the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)...
- Activation of astrocytes by CNTF induces metabolic plasticity and increases resistance to metabolic insultsCarole Escartin
Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut d Imagerie Biomédicale, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité de Recherche Associée 2210, 91401 Orsay, France
J Neurosci 27:7094-104. 2007..We found that local lentiviral-mediated gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a cytokine known to activate astrocytes, induced a stable decrease in the glycolytic flux in ..
- Recombinant variant of ciliary neurotrophic factor for weight loss in obese adults: a randomized, dose-ranging studyMark P Ettinger
Radiant Research, Stuart, Fla, USA
JAMA 289:1826-32. 2003..A genetically engineered recombinant human variant ciliary neurotrophic factor (rhvCNTF) that signals through leptinlike pathways in the hypothalamus has been shown to bypass leptin ..
- Signaling of human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) revisited. The interleukin-6 receptor can serve as an alpha-receptor for CTNFBjörn Schuster
Biochemisches Institut, Christian Albrechts Universitat zu Kiel, Olshausenstr 40, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:9528-35. 2003Human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a neurotrophic cytokine that exerts a neuroprotective effect in multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis...
- CNTF protects oligodendrocytes from ammonia toxicity: intracellular signaling pathways involvedLaurène Cagnon
Inborn Errors of Metabolism, Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 33:133-42. 2009..Understanding these mechanisms may lead to new therapeutic strategies. We investigated whether ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a cytokine-like protein expressed by astrocytes and described as an injury-associated survival ..
- Endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor is a lesion factor for axotomized motoneurons in adult miceM Sendtner
Clinical Research Unit for Neuroregeneration, Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Neurosci 17:6999-7006. 1997b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is an abundant cytosolic molecule in myelinating Schwann cells of adult rodents...
- Delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor via lentiviral-mediated transfer protects axotomized retinal ganglion cells for an extended period of timeBrian A van Adel
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, L8N 3ZS, Canada
Hum Gene Ther 14:103-15. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has recently been demonstrated to be one of the most promising neurotrophic factors to improve both the survival and regeneration of injured retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Intraocular gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents death and increases responsiveness of rod photoreceptors in the retinal degeneration slow mouseM Cayouette
Laboratoire de Transfert de Gènes, Centre de Recherche Universite Laval Robert Giffard, Beauport, Quebec, Canada, G1J 2G3
J Neurosci 18:9282-93. 1998..Here, we report that intraocular adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in this mutant reduces photoreceptor loss, causes a significant increase in the length of ..
- Chronically increased ciliary neurotrophic factor and fibroblast growth factor-2 expression after spinal contusion in ratsRicha B Tripathi
Neuroscience Graduate Studies Program and Department of Neuroscience, Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Comp Neurol 510:129-44. 2008..Here, we examined ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) expression, because both factors alter progenitor ..
- Relation of weight maintenance and dietary restraint to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2, glucocorticoid receptor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor polymorphismsNeeltje Vogels
Departments of Human Biology and Methodology and Statistics, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 82:740-6. 2005Genetic variation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 (PPARgamma2), glucocorticoid receptor (GRL), and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) genes may play a role in the etiology of obesity.
- CNTF negatively regulates the phototransduction machinery in rod photoreceptors: implication for light-induced photostasis plasticityRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 613:407-13. 2008
- Effect of CNTF on retinal ganglion cell survival in experimental glaucomaMary Ellen Pease
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, 175 Woods Research Building, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2194-200. 2009..To assess the neuroprotective effect of virally mediated overexpression of ciliary-derived neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in experimental rat glaucoma...
- Intraocular gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor rescues photoreceptor degeneration in RCS ratsShun Ping Huang
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Biomed Sci 11:37-48. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is known as an important factor in the regulation of retinal cell growth...
- Does CNTF mediate the effect of intraocular inflammation on optic nerve regeneration?Qi Cui
Brain 131:e96; author reply e97. 2008
- Cardiotrophin-like cytokine/cytokine-like factor 1 is an essential trophic factor for lumbar and facial motoneurons in vivoNancy G Forger
Department of Psychology and Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Neurosci 23:8854-8. 2003The ciliary neurotrophic factor alpha-receptor (CNTFRalpha) is required for motoneuron survival during development, but the relevant ligand(s) has not been determined...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor released by corneal endothelium surviving oxidative stress ex vivoShay Whey M Koh
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:2887-96. 2002To demonstrate that corneal endothelial (CE) cells that survive oxidative stress in corneas release ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), which does not possess the secretion signal sequence.
- Crystal structure of dimeric human ciliary neurotrophic factor determined by MAD phasingN Q McDonald
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
EMBO J 14:2689-99. 1995b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes the survival and differentiation of developing motor neurons and is a potential therapeutic for treating neurodegeneration and nerve injury...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents retrograde neuronal death in the adult central nervous systemR E Clatterbuck
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:2222-6. 1993The neurocytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was described originally as an activity that supports the survival of neurons of the chicken ciliary ganglia in vitro...
- Direct effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor on brown adipocytes: evidence for a role in peripheral regulation of energy homeostasisV Ott
Department of Internal Medicine I, Medical University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
J Endocrinol 173:R1-8. 2002b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) plays an important role in regulating neuronal growth. Recently, central anorexigenic effects of this cytokine have been characterized...
- Suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 limits protection of leukemia inhibitory factor receptor signaling against central demyelinationBen Emery
Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:7859-64. 2006..These results indicate that modulation of SOCS3 expression could facilitate the endogenous response to CNS injury...
- Topical instillation of ciliary neurotrophic factor inhibits retinal degeneration in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsYoshinori Aizu
Research and Development Center, BML, 1361 1 Matoba, Kawagoe City, Saitama 350 1101, Japan
Neuroreport 14:2067-71. 2003Intraocular injections of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) or intraocular adenovirus-mediated CNTF gene transfer have been reported to inhibit retinal alterations in inherited retinal degeneration in mice strains...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Title: A Phase I/II Study of the NT-501 Intraocular Implant Releasing Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor (CNTF) in Participants with CNGB3 Achromatopsia Number: 12-EI-0167 Background: - Achromatopsia is an ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Title: A Phase I/II Study of the NT-501 Intraocular Implant Releasing Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor (CNTF) in Participants with CNGB3 Achromatopsia Number: 12-EI-0167 Background: - Achromatopsia is an ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardERICH JARVIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Repairing the pathway in vocal learners, when damaged, would have profound impact for correcting neurological disorders of speech. ..
- Cardiotrophin-Like Cytokine 1, a Candidate Molecule for the FSGS FactorVirginia J Savin; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will determine if the addition of CLC-1 binding-partners cytokine-like factor-1 (CLF-1) or soluble ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor (sCNTFR) enhances the CLC-1 permeability effect...
- Serotonin Receptor Modulation of Neurotrophic Factors in the RetinaMark E Pennesi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Neurotrophic factors such as ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) have been shown to prevent photoreceptor death in ..
- Corneal endothelial cell survival in human donor corneas for transplantationShay Whey M Koh; Fiscal Year: 2012..The endogenous VIP in CE cells is upregulated by ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), which is also a CE autocrine trophic factor released by CE cells surviving the oxidative stress...
- Aspirin, PPAR and EAEKalipada Pahan; Fiscal Year: 2013..neurotrophic factor (GDNF)-related factors (GDNF, neurturin) do not increase myelinogenesis, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) induces a strong promyelinating effect...
- Phase 2 Study of CNTF on Photoreceptor Structure in Retinitis PigmentosaJACQUE LYNNE DUNCAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..There are no cures, and effective treatments are extremely limited. Neurotrophic factors such as ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) have shown promise in slowing retinal degeneration in animal models and patients...
- Pathophysiological Redox Regulation of JAK2 in DiabetesROY DUHE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Due to JAK2's crucial role as a signal transducer for leptin, growth hormone, ciliary neurotrophic factor, stromal derived factor 1[unreadable], insulin, and other growth and survival factors, the loss of JAK2&..
- Endogenous CNTF receptors and adult, in vivo neurogenesisALEXANDER JOHN MACLENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indirect data suggest, and we hypothesize, that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling inhibits the neuronal differentiation of NSP cells...
- Structural biology of shared cytokine signaling receptorsKENAN CHRISTOPHER GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Gp130 is the shared receptor for eleven cytokines (IL-6, IL-11, Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor, Oncostatin, Leukemia Inhibitory Factor, and others), and 3c is the shared receptor for 6 cytokines (IL-..
- Muller Cell Role in Retinal DiseasesVijay P Sarthy; Fiscal Year: 2010..specific aim is to determine the role of MOiler cells in photoreceptor neuroprotection mediated by Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Adaptive optics scanning laser ophthalmoscope-based microperimetry: establishingWILLIAM SCOTT TUTEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..AOSLO imaging in a subset of three retinitis pigmentosa (RP) patients demonstrated that treatment with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) prevents photoreceptor loss relative to untreated eyes;however, the standard functional outcome ..
- Regeneration and Reconnection of Damaged Optic NerveKEVIN KYUNG PARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..and tensin homolog) expression in adult RGCs using small interference RNAs (siRNA), with elevation of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and cyclic AMP (cAMP) promotes robust optic nerve regeneration...
- Cinnamon, CNTF and EAEKalipada Pahan; Fiscal Year: 2013..neurotrophic factor (GDNF)-related factors (GDNF, neurturin) do not increase myelinogenesis, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) induces a strong promyelinating effect...
- Aminosterol MSI-1436 as a Therapeutic for ObesityMichael McLane; Fiscal Year: 2004..led to potential therapeutic agents with novel activities, such as leptin, ghrelin antagonists, and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- NOVEL CELL LINES ALLEVIATE CHRONIC NEUROPATHIC PAINMary Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2001..factors such as brain- derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), the sequela of altered sensory perceptions associated with chronic pain after peripheral injury ..
- LIF/IL6 INDUCED SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN BONE CELLSMark Horowitz; Fiscal Year: 1999..LIF/IL-6 subfamily include leukemia inhibitory factor, oncostatin M, interleukin-6, interleukin-11, ciliary neurotrophic factor, and cardiotrophin-1...
- GENE EFFECTS ON STRENGTH RESPONSES TO AGE AND EXERCISEBernard Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..In a recent pilot study, we observed that a common polymorphism at the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) gene locus was a significant predictor of age-associated strength levels and that a common ..
- CYTOKINE GENE THERAPY AND OBESITYSergei Zolotukhin; Fiscal Year: 2001..Earlier the investigators have shown that a rAAV encoding 1) the lipostatic hormone leptin; and 2) the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) could be successfully used to maintain BW in lean and leptin-resistant obese fa/fa Zucker rats ..
- GENE DELIVERY FOR SPIRAL CORD INJURY REPAIRH Shine; Fiscal Year: 2004..Genes for neurotrophin 3 (NT-3), nerve growth factor (NGF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and glial cell line-derived growth factor (GDNF) will ..
- MECHANISMS OF SEXUAL DIFFERENTIATION IN NERVOUS SYSTEMNANCY FORGER; Fiscal Year: 2001..It has been demonstrated that a neurotrophic molecule, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), can mimic some of the effects of androgen in this system...
- CILIARY NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR RECEPTORS ON NEURONSSTANLEY HALVORSEN; Fiscal Year: 1999..For many cholinergic neurons ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a candidate molecule participating in these events...
- ETHANOL AND JAK-STAT SIGNALING PATHWAYEdward Ishac; Fiscal Year: 2002..6-induced STAT activation in hematopoietic cells (BAF3/mp1 cells, platelets, U937, and AF10 cells), and ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced STAT activation in neuronal cells (NBTF neuroblastoma)...
- Signaling pathways directing cholinergic gene expressionBrygida Berse; Fiscal Year: 2004..stimuli, in particular by two groups of neurotrophins: the cytokines of the leukemia inhibitory factor/ciliary neurotrophic factor (LIF/CNTF) family, and nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- NEUROTROPHIC REGULATION OF NEURONAL SIGNALINGDONALD LO; Fiscal Year: 1999..This hypothesis will be tested for the unrelated factors NGF and ciliary neurotrophic factor; and 3) To determine if neurotrophic factors modulate excitability in the short-term...
- PERIPHERAL BLOOD STEM CELL MEDIATED GENE TRANSFERSteven Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..to express selection (Neo) and marker (EGFP) genes and a protype neurotrophic factor gene that encodes ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- CNTF Receptors: Neuromuscular Protection/Repair In VivoAlexander MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 2009Several lines of evidence suggest that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling may promote neuromuscular protection and repair...
- ROD NEURODEGENERATIVE AND PROTECTIVE GENESBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..However brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and ciliary neurotrophic factor, the two most widely used factors, do not act on the photoreceptors directly, but indirectly through ..
- REGULATION OF POSTNATAL CORTICAL MULTIPOTENT PROGENITORSMARK MEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2002..promotes the expansion of oligodendrocyte progenitors that require additional environmental signals (ciliary neurotrophic factor, CNTF) for oligodendrocyte differentiation...
- Gene Expression Analysis in Microcaptured Retinal CellsRuben Adler; Fiscal Year: 2005..have shown that intraocular injection of factors such as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), or basic fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF2), slows photoreceptor cell death caused by specific ..
- IMMEDIATE EARLY GENES IN ASTROCYTE DEVELOPMENTJohn Park; Fiscal Year: 2001..Previously reported studies by others demonstrate that ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) induces the differentiation of stem cells into astrocytes...
- CYTOKINE REGULATION OF VIP GENE EXPRESSIONAviva Symes; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from Applicant's Abstract) The neuropoietic cytokines, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory (LIF), are neurotrophic factors that promote neuronal survival in many different neuronal populations...
- CNS Myelination Co-Culture Microsystem for Axon-Gila SignalingArum Han; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, we will specifically determine the role of neuregulin-1 and members of ciliary neurotrophic factor family in regulating the development of myelinating- oligodendrocytes...
- CILIARY NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR RECEPTOR AND NEURONSSTANLEY HALVORSEN; Fiscal Year: 1993..Further scientific data for the CRISP System are unavailable at this time. ..
- NONCLASSICAL EXPORT CHICKEN CILIARY NEUROTROPHIC FACTORC Reiness; Fiscal Year: 2001..Chicken ciliary neurotrophic factor (chCNTF) is a protein required for proper development of the avian nervous system...
- mTOR activation and function during CNTF signalingSTEVEN REEVES; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Signal transduction initiated by the neuroregulatory cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to promote neuronal survival in the injured or diseased nervous system...
- MECHANISMS OF SEXUAL DIFFERENTIATION IN NEURAL SYSTEMSNANCY FORGER; Fiscal Year: 1999..It has recently been demonstrated that a putative neurotrophic molecule, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), can mimic some of the effects of early androgen in this system...
- CNTF RECEPTORS AND NEUROPROTECTION AFTER BRAIN TRAUMAJOHN MACLENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..A wide variety of indirect studies suggest that the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptors of motor neurons may be naturally activated following injury and that this activation ..
- rAAV-Mediated Metabolic Engineering in VivoSergei Zolotukhin; Fiscal Year: 2007..we have shown that a rAAV encoding either the lipostatic hormone leptin, or the pleiotropic cytokines ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), or leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) could be successfully used to curb the BW gain in lean SD ..
- RECOMBINANT CNTF FOR TREATMENT OF NEUROPHATHIESBarbara Cordell; Fiscal Year: 1991DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor (CNTF) is a potent polypeptide hormone whose actions appear to be restricted to the nervous system...
- NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR MODULATION OF CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUMShay Whey Koh; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Muller glia and neuronal regeneration in the retinaAndy Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2009..2) CNTF (ciliary neurotrophic factor)/Jak-STAT signaling promotes glial maturation, promotes GFAP expression, and suppresses glial ..
- Regulatory Molecules in Enteric Nervous SystemALCMENE CHALAZONITIS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PRECURSOR CELL RENEWAL, OLIGODENDROCYTES & REMYELINATIONMark Noble; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Oligodendrocytes & precursors: toxicity of chemotherapyMark Noble; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, we will identify and test means of selectively protecting normal cells from such damage without simultaneously protecting cancer cells in vitro as well as in vivo. ..
- CNS PRECURSOR CELL DYSFUNCTION IN DEVELOPMENTAL MALADIESMark Noble; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Low-level toxicant perturbation of neural cell functionMark D Noble; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- High Throughput Real-Time PCR System for the Microarray CoreRichard Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxidative Stress and Nerve Pathology in DiabetesAndrew Mizisin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF NEURAL MUSCARINIC RECEPTORSNEIL NATHANSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..The elucidation of the factors involved in the regulation and function of mAChR may aid in understanding the etiology and possible treatment of a variety of neurological and mental abnormalities. ..
- Near Infra Red Energy To Treat Diabetic NeuropathyNIGEL CALCUTT; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regenerating Gene Proteins in Inflammatory DemyelinationJennifer Stark; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, this combination of in vivo and in vitro studies will determine the molecular and cellular effects of Reg, perhaps identifying a potential therapy to aid in remyelination and axon protection in diseases such as MS. ..
- Genetic Architecture of Aging Skeletal MuscleStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF MASTICATORY MUSCLE FIBER PHENOTYPEARTHUR ENGLISH; Fiscal Year: 2002..The new knowledge generated will impact significantly several areas of clinical dentistry. ..
- PROSAPOSIN AND PROSAPTIDES IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYNIGEL CALCUTT; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal is to establish prosaptides as novel therapeutic agents for treating diabetic neuropathy and to provide mechanistic explanations for why hyperglycemia causes nerve disorders. ..
- REACTIVE ASTROGLIA--INFLUENCES ON CNS GRAFTS AND WOUNDSJANETTE KRUM; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- THE PATHOBIOLOGY OF INHERITED RETINAL DEGENERATIONDean Bok; Fiscal Year: 2006..these animals in a preclinical trial for recombinant adeno-associate virus (rAAV)-vectored therapy with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a cytokine that has well-documented photoreceptor rescue properties...
- Calcitriol-Induced Restoration of Dopamine in a Model of Parkinson's DiseaseWayne Cass; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ION CHANNELS IN DEMYELINATING DISEASESBetty Soliven; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, there may be ways to promote remyelination using the K+ channels of OP cells/OLGs as drug targets. ..
- Genetic Aspects of Vestibular DysfunctionStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed project will generate important pilot data related to the genetics of vestibular dysfunction, thus fitting within the R21 grant mechanism. ..
- MECHANISMS OF SEXUAL DIFFERENTIATION IN NEURAL SYSTEMSNANCY FORGER; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Genetic Epidemiology of Aging Skeletal MuscleStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..