Genomes and Genes
maturation promoting factor
Summary: Protein kinase that drives both the mitotic and meiotic cycles in all eukaryotic organisms. In meiosis it induces immature oocytes to undergo meiotic maturation. In mitosis it has a role in the G2/M phase transition. Once activated by CYCLINS; MPF directly phosphorylates some of the proteins involved in nuclear envelope breakdown, chromosome condensation, spindle assembly, and the degradation of cyclins. The catalytic subunit of MPF is PROTEIN P34CDC2.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Wee1B is an oocyte-specific kinase involved in the control of meiotic arrest in the mouseSeung Jin Han
Division of Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Curr Biol 15:1670-6. 2005..Activation of the Cdc2-kinase component of maturation promoting factor (MPF) triggers germinal vesicle breakdown after the luteinizing hormone (LH) surge and reentry into the ..
- The Schizosaccharomyces pombe spindle checkpoint protein mad2p blocks anaphase and genetically interacts with the anaphase-promoting complexX He
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:7965-70. 1997....
- Purified maturation promoting factor phosphorylates pp60c-src at the sites phosphorylated during fibroblast mitosisS Shenoy
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802
Cell 57:763-74. 1989..sites lie in consensus sequences for phosphorylation by p34cdc2, the catalytic component of maturation promoting factor (MPF)...
- Reprogramming of bovine somatic cell nuclei is not directly regulated by maturation promoting factor or mitogen-activated protein kinase activityTetsuya Tani
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, College of Agriculture, Kinki University, Nara, 631 8505, Japan
Biol Reprod 69:1890-4. 2003..The present study demonstrates that the process of nuclear reprogramming is not directly regulated by maturation promoting factor or mitogen-activated protein kinase activity...
- Mitogen activated protein kinase plays a significant role in metaphase II arrest, spindle morphology, and maintenance of maturation promoting factor activity in bovine oocytesA C Gordo
Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 59:106-14. 2001..I (MI), and arrest at MII, is triggered and regulated by the coordinated action of two kinases, maturation promoting factor (MPF) and mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK)...
- The dynamics of cyclin B1 distribution during meiosis I in mouse oocytesPetros Marangos
Department of Physiology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Reproduction 128:153-62. 2004..These studies show that GVBD in mouse oocytes is sensitive to cyclin B1 abundance and that the changes in distribution of cyclin B1 contribute to progression through MI...
- A purified complex from Xenopus oocytes contains a p47 protein, an in vivo substrate of MPF, and a p30 protein respectively homologous to elongation factors EF-1 gamma and EF-1 betaR Belle
Laboratoire de Physiologie de la Reproduction, INRA, UA CNRS 555, Paris, France
FEBS Lett 255:101-4. 1989..From polypeptide sequencing, we now show that the p30 and the p47 correspond to elongation factor EF-1 beta and EF-1 gamma. Furthermore, the p30 and p36 proteins were phosphorylated in vitro by casein kinase II...
- A major substrate of maturation promoting factor identified as elongation factor 1 beta gamma delta in Xenopus laevisG M Janssen
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Sylvius Laboratory, State University of Leiden, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 266:14885-8. 1991..Presumably the phosphorylation of EF-1 gamma, which associates with tubulin at least in vitro, is important in processes following the onset of meiosis which is accompanied by a rise of protein synthesis...
- Inactivation of M-phase promoting factor at exit from first embryonic mitosis in the rat is independent of cyclin B1 degradationL B Josefsberg
Department of Biological Regulation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100 Israel Faculty of Life Science, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
Biol Reprod 64:871-8. 2001..They also provide the first evidence that MPF inactivation at this stage of development is not solely dependent upon cyclin B1 degradation and is insufficient to allow the formation of the 2-cell embryo...
- Requirement of cyclin B2, but not cyclin B1, for bipolar spindle formation in frog (Rana japonica) oocytesT Kotani
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 59:199-208. 2001..These results provide evidence of the requirement of cyclin B2, but not cyclin B1, for organizing the bipolar spindle, though either cyclin B1 or B2 is redundant for inducing GVBD and chromosome condensation...
- Initial activation of cyclin-B1-cdc2 kinase requires phosphorylation of cyclin B1Marion Peter
Centre de Recherches de Biochimie Macromoleculaire, CNRS UPR 1086, 1919 Route de Mende, F 34293 Montpellier cedex 5, France
EMBO Rep 3:551-6. 2002..We demonstrate that cyclin B1 phosphorylation has another essential function in vivo: it is required for cdc25c and MPF activation, which does not require nuclear accumulation of cyclin B1, and occurs in the cytoplasm...
- A novel p34(cdc2)-binding and activating protein that is necessary and sufficient to trigger G(2)/M progression in Xenopus oocytesI Ferby
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Genes Dev 13:2177-89. 1999..Our results identify a novel p34(cdc2) binding and activating protein that regulates the G(2)/M transition during oocyte maturation...
- High developmental competence of pig oocytes after meiotic inhibition with a specific M-phase promoting factor kinase inhibitor, butyrolactone IGuang ming Wu
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Biol Reprod 67:170-7. 2002..Butyrolactone I is a potent inhibitor of nuclear maturation of porcine oocytes, and the inhibition is fully reversible...
- Xenopus H-RasV12 promotes entry into meiotic M phase and cdc2 activation independently of Mos and p42(MAPK)Aude Dupré
Laboratoire de Biologie du Developpement, INRA UMR CNRS 7622, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 24, 4 place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Oncogene 21:6425-33. 2002..The identification of the proteins synthesized in response to Xe H-RasV12 and required for MPF activation, represents an important clue in understanding the mechanism of progesterone action...
- Effects of spindle removal on MPF and MAP kinase activities in porcine matured oocytesSeitaro Goto
Laboratory of Applied Genetics, Department of Animal Resource Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 63:388-93. 2002....
- Introduction of cyclin B induces activation of the maturation-promoting factor and breakdown of germinal vesicle in growing zebrafish oocytes unresponsive to the maturation-inducing hormoneT Kondo
Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Dev Biol 190:142-52. 1997....
- Cyclin B2/cyclin-dependent kinase1 dissociation precedes CDK1 Thr-161 dephosphorylation upon M-phase promoting factor inactivation in Xenopus laevis cell-free extractFranck Chesnel
Institute of Genetics and Development, CNRS UMR 6061, Mitosis and Meiosis Group, IFR140 GFAS, University of Rennes 1, Faculty of Medicine, Rennes, France
Int J Dev Biol 51:297-305. 2007..Thus, neither cyclin B2 degradation nor Thr-161 dephosphorylation participates directly in CDK1 inactivation as measured by histone H1 kinase decline upon the exit from mitotic M-phase in Xenopus embryo extract...
- O-linked N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase inhibition prevents G2/M transition in Xenopus laevis oocytesVanessa Dehennaut
Laboratoire de Régulation des Signaux de Division, EA 4020, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, SN3, IFR147, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
J Biol Chem 282:12527-36. 2007..The present work underlines a crucial role for O-GlcNAc in G(2)/M transition and strongly suggests that its function is required for cell cycle regulation...
- Physiological temperature variants and culture media modify meiotic progression and developmental potential of pig oocytes in vitroJ Ye
Division of Animal Physiology, School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough, UK
Reproduction 133:877-86. 2007..Simultaneous assay of maturation-controlling kinases (maturation promoting factor (MPF) and MAPK) showed that cooling delayed kinase activation, provided it was applied prior to GVBD...
- Meiotic resumption of porcine immature oocytes is prevented by ooplasmic Gsalpha functionsMarie Morikawa
Laboratory of Applied Genetics, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Reprod Dev 53:1151-7. 2007....
- Regulation of translation during in vitro maturation of bovine oocytes: the role of MAP kinase, eIF4E (cap binding protein) phosphorylation, and eIF4E-BP1W Tomek
Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals, 18146 Dummerstorf Rostock, Germany
Biol Reprod 66:1274-82. 2002..A possible MEK kinase-independent pathway of MAP kinase phosphorylation and the role of 4E-BP1 in repressing translation in metaphase II oocytes are discussed...
- From progesterone to active Cdc2 in Xenopus oocytes: a puzzling signalling pathwayA Karaiskou
, UMR-CNRS 7622, , Paris, France
Biol Cell 93:35-46. 2001....
- Expression and modification of PKA and AKAPs during meiosis in rat oocytesM Kovo
Department of Biological Regulation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Mol Cell Endocrinol 192:105-13. 2002..AKAP140 phosphorylation is sensitive to p34cdc2 kinase inhibitors. We hypothesize that AKAP140 and its phosphorylation state may influence the translocation of the R subunits of PKA throughout resumption of meiosis...
- Induction of maturation-promoting factor during Xenopus oocyte maturation uncouples Ca(2+) store depletion from store-operated Ca(2+) entryKhaled Machaca
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas Medical Science, Little Rock, 72205, USA
J Cell Biol 156:75-85. 2002..We further show that preactivated SOCE is not inactivated by MPF, suggesting that MPF does not block Ca(2+) influx through SOCE channels, but rather inhibits coupling between store depletion and SOCE activation...
- Fertilization: calcium's double punchCatherine Jessus
Nature 449:297-8. 2007
- Regulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation, microtubule organization, chromatin behavior, and cell cycle progression by protein phosphatases during pig oocyte maturation and fertilization in vitroQing Yuan Sun
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Biol Reprod 66:580-8. 2002....
- Influence of serotonin on the action of melatonin in MIH-induced meiotic resumption in the oocytes of carp Catla catlaAsamanja Chattoraj
Department of Zoology, Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan 731 235, India
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 150:301-6. 2008..and immunoblot studies revealed that the rate of GVBD was associated with the rate of formation of maturation promoting factor (a complex of two proteins: a regulatory component--cyclin B and the catalytic component--Cdk1 or cdc2)...
- Association of MPF, MAPK, and nuclear progression dynamics during activation of young and aged bovine oocytesX Cindy Tian
Department of Animal Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 4163, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 62:132-8. 2002..05) during the first 7 hr of activation. These observations suggest that inactivation of MPF and MAPK are pre-requisite for the release from metaphase arrest and formation of pronuclei in bovine oocytes...
- Regulation of oocyte maturation in fishYoshitaka Nagahama
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 50:S195-219. 2008..Upon egg activation, MPF is inactivated by degradation of cyclin B. This process is initiated by the 26S proteasome through the first cut in its NH(2) terminus at lysine 57...
- Two phases of calcium requirement during starfish meiotic maturationHiroaki Tosuji
Department of Chemistry and Bioscience, Faculty of Science, Kagoshima University, Korimoto, Kagoshima 890 0065, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:432-7. 2007..Together with the above phenomena, it is conceivable that there are two phases of Ca(2+) requirement during starfish oocyte maturation. These are the activation of MPF, moreover, GVBD, and the subsequent chromosome condensation...
- Cybip, a starfish cyclin B-binding protein, is involved in meiotic M-phase exitNicolas Offner
UMR 7628, Laboratoire Arago, BP 44, F 66651 Banyuls sur Mer cedex, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 300:121-7. 2003..Finally, we show that the microinjection of GST-cybip, and of anti-cybip antibody, in maturing starfish oocytes, inhibits H1 kinase and MPF inactivation, and first polar body emission...
- Inhibition of mitogen activated protein kinase activity induces parthenogenetic activation and increases cyclin B accumulation during porcine oocyte maturationIkuko Takakura
Department of Applied Genetics, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Science University of Tokyo, Japan
J Reprod Dev 51:617-26. 2005..mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) activation during porcine oocyte maturation leads to decreased maturation promoting factor (MPF) activity and to the induction of parthenogenetic activation...
- Cdc2-cyclin B-induced G2 to M transition in perch oocyte is dependent on Cdc25Dipanjan Basu
Department of Zoology, School of Life Science, Visva Bharati, Santiniketan 731 235, India
Biol Reprod 71:894-900. 2004The G2 to M phase transition in perch oocytes is regulated by maturation promoting factor (MPF), a complex of Cdc2 and cyclin B...
- Purification of a p47 phosphoprotein from Xenopus laevis oocytes and identification as an in vivo and in vitro p34cdc2 substrateO Mulner-Lorillon
Laboratoire de Physiologie de la Reproduction, INRA, UA CNRS 555, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
FEBS Lett 251:219-24. 1989..Therefore, the purified p47, already described as a marker of MPF activity, is the first reported in vivo substrate for the cell division control kinase...
- Cdc2 protein kinase is complexed with both cyclin A and B: evidence for proteolytic inactivation of MPFG Draetta
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York 11724
Cell 56:829-38. 1989..We suggest that in addition to the cdc2 protein kinase, the cyclins are further components of the M phase promoting factor and that cyclin proteolysis provides the mechanism of MPF inactivation and thus exit from mitosis...
- Activation of Cdc2 kinase during meiotic maturation of axolotl oocyteSabine Vaur
Equipe Régulations post transcriptionnelles et développement précoce, Laboratoire de Biologie du Developpement, UMR CNRS 7622, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Dev Biol 267:265-78. 2004..The intracellular compartmentalization as well as the low level of pre-MPF in axolotl oocyte could account for the differences in oocyte MPF activation in both species...
- M-phase promoting factor (MPF) and mitogen activated protein kinases (MAPK) activities of domestic cat oocytes matured in vitro and in vivoL Bogliolo
Obstetrics Section of the Institute of General Pathology, Pathological Anatomy and Veterinary Obstetrics Surgery Clinic, University of Sassari, Italy
Cloning Stem Cells 6:15-23. 2004..Moreover, it shows that MPF and MPK activity is higher in in vivo matured oocytes than in in vitro matured oocytes, suggesting a possible incomplete cytoplasmic maturation after culture...
- Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 3A-deficient mice as a model of female infertilitySilvia Masciarelli
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 114:196-205. 2004..Pde3a(-/-) mice represent an in vivo model where meiotic maturation and ovulation are dissociated, which underscores inhibition of oocyte maturation as a potential strategy for contraception...
- Cytoskeleton and cell cycle control during meiotic maturation of the mouse oocyte: integrating time and spaceStephane Brunet
UMR 7622 Biologie du Développement, CNRS UPMC, 9 Quai St Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
Reproduction 130:801-11. 2005..interplay between the cytoskeleton and the cell cycle machinery in mouse oocytes, with an emphasis on the two major activities that control meiotic maturation in vertebrates, MPF (Maturation promoting factor) and CSF (Cytostatic factor).
- Emi1 class of proteins regulate entry into meiosis and the meiosis I to meiosis II transition in Xenopus oocytesJeffrey J Tung
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Cell Cycle 4:478-82. 2005..Progesterone-treated G2/prophase oocytes injected with anti-Emi1 antibody fail to activate Maturation Promoting Factor (MPF), a complex of cdc2/cyclin B, and the MAPK pathway, and do not undergo germinal vesicle breakdown (..
- Oocyte nucleus controls progression through meiotic maturationZbigniew Polanski
Department of Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Stuebeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 281:184-95. 2005..These results show that the oocyte nucleus contains specific components required for the control of progression through the meiotic maturation and that some of these components are also present in pronuclei...
- Polo-like kinase confers MPF autoamplification competence to growing Xenopus oocytesAnthi Karaiskou
Laboratoire de Biologie du Developpement, UMR CNRS 7622, Equipe Biologie de l ovocyte, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 24, 4 place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Development 131:1543-52. 2004..Under these conditions, the MPF-positive feedback loop was restored. Moreover, we show that acquisition of autoamplification competence does not require the Mos/MAPK pathway...
- Redundant pathways for Cdc2 activation in Xenopus oocyte: either cyclin B or Mos synthesisOlivier Haccard
Laboratoire de Biologie du Developpement, UMR CNRS 7622, UPMC, Case 24, 9 quai Saint Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
EMBO Rep 7:321-5. 2006..We conclude that the specific synthesis of either B-type cyclins or c-Mos, induced by progesterone, is required to induce meiotic maturation. The two pathways seem to be functionally redundant...
- Mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase inhibitor suppresses cyclin B1 synthesis and reactivation of p34cdc2 kinase, which improves pronuclear formation rate in matured porcine oocytes activated by Ca2+ ionophoreJunya Ito
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Biosphere Sciences, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, 739 8528, Japan
Biol Reprod 70:797-804. 2004....
- Analyses of mitogen-activated protein kinase function in the maturation of porcine oocytesSatoshi Ohashi
Department of Animal Resource Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Biol Reprod 68:604-9. 2003....
- Cyclin B dissociation from CDK1 precedes its degradation upon MPF inactivation in mitotic extracts of Xenopus laevis embryosFranck Chesnel
CNRS UMR 6061, Biology and Genetics of Development, Mitosis and Meiosis Group, IFR140 GFAS, University of Rennes 1, Faculty of Medicine, Rennes, France
Cell Cycle 5:1687-98. 2006....
- Pre-M phase-promoting factor associates with annulate lamellae in Xenopus oocytes and egg extractsClare Beckhelling
Unité Mixte Recherche 7009, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université Paris VI, Observatoire Oceanologique de Villefranche sur Mer, 06234, Villefranche sur Mer, France
Mol Biol Cell 14:1125-37. 2003..This association may explain why nuclei and centrosomes stimulate MPF activation and provide a mechanism for targeting of MPF to some of its key substrates...
- Independent activation of MAP kinase and MPF during the initiation of meiotic maturation in pig oocytesJ Ye
Division of Animal Physiology, School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough LE12 5RD, UK
Reproduction 125:645-56. 2003..This study has demonstrated that MAP kinase is activated simultaneously with MPF at GVBD, but that its activation is not essential for the activation of MPF nor for the resumption of the first meiosis in pig oocytes...
- Regulation of EDEN-dependent deadenylation of Aurora A/Eg2-derived mRNA via phosphorylation and dephosphorylation in Xenopus laevis egg extractsLenaick Detivaud
UMR 6061 CNRS, University of Rennes 1, Faculty of Medicine, 2 Ave Prof Leon Bernard, CS 34317, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
J Cell Sci 116:2697-705. 2003..This regulation proceeds in a manner independent from MPF inactivation...
- An active protein kinase A (PKA) is involved in meiotic arrest of rat growing oocytesMichal Kovo
Department of Biological Regulation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100 Israel
Reproduction 132:33-43. 2006....
- Germinal vesicle material drives meiotic cell cycle of mouse oocyte through the 3'UTR-dependent control of cyclin B1 synthesisSteffen Hoffmann
Department of Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Stuebeweg 51, 79 108 Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 292:46-54. 2006We compared the profile of histone H1 kinase activity, reflecting Maturation Promoting Factor (MPF) activity in oocytes bisected at the germinal vesicle (GV) stage and allowed to mature as separate oocyte halves in vitro...
- The C. elegans Myt1 ortholog is required for the proper timing of oocyte maturationAnna E Burrows
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 8 Center Drive, Building 8, Room 323, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 133:697-709. 2006b>Maturation promoting factor (MPF), a complex of cyclin-dependent kinase 1 and cyclin B, drives oocyte maturation in all animals...
- Elongation factor EF-1 delta, a new target for maturation-promoting factor in Xenopus oocytesO Mulner-Lorillon
Laboratoire de Physiologie de la Reproduction, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, CNRS URA 1449, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Paris, France
J Biol Chem 269:20201-7. 1994....
- Effects of 17alpha-methyltestosterone exposure on steroidogenesis and cyclin-B mRNA expression in previtellogenic oocytes of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua)Trond M Kortner
Department of Biology, Norwegian University of science and Technology NTNU Høgskoleringen 5, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 146:569-80. 2007..The impaired steroidogenesis and hormonal imbalance reported in the present study may have potential consequences for the vitellogenic process and overt fecundity in teleosts...
- The nuclear RNA-binding protein Sam68 translocates to the cytoplasm and associates with the polysomes in mouse spermatocytesMaria Paola Paronetto
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, Section of Anatomy, University of Rome Tor Vergata, 00133 Rome, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 17:14-24. 2006..and it is blocked by inhibitors of the mitogen activated protein kinases ERK1/2 and of the maturation promoting factor cyclinB-cdc2 complex...
- Microtubule dependence of chromosome cycles in Xenopus laevis blastomeres under the influence of a DNA synthesis inhibitor, aphidicolinP Clute
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Biol 185:1-13. 1997..This mechanism may involve the translation of a maternal mRNA at the time of the MBT, as suggested previously...
- High pressure sensitizes murine erythroleukemia cells to caffeine-induced premature mitosisM Matsumoto
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, 814 0180, Japan
Jpn J Physiol 50:329-36. 2000..Namely, maturation promoting factor (MPF) composed of p34(cdc2) and cyclin B was inactive...
- Meiotic abnormalities of c-mos knockout mouse oocytes: activation after first meiosis or entrance into third meiotic metaphaseK Araki
Department of Reproductive and Development Biology, University of Tokyo, Japan
Biol Reprod 55:1315-24. 1996..the roles of Mos in mouse oocyte maturation and fertilization, including whether Mos controls MAPK and maturation promoting factor (MPF) activity...
- p34cdc2 expression and meiotic competence in growing goat oocytesT Dedieu
Unité de Biologie de la Fécondation, Station de Physiologie Animale, INRA, Jouy en Josas, France
Mol Reprod Dev 50:251-62. 1998The expression of the catalytic subunit of the maturation promoting factor (MPF), p34cdc2, was analyzed during meiosis and final growth of goat oocytes...
- Comparative effects of insulin on the activation of the Raf/Mos-dependent MAP kinase cascade in vitellogenic versus postvitellogenic Xenopus oocytesF Chesnel
Biologie Cellulaire et Reproduction, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes Cedex, 35042, France
Dev Biol 188:122-33. 1997....
- Link between fertilization-induced Ca2+ oscillations and relief from metaphase II arrest in mammalian eggs: a model based on calmodulin-dependent kinase II activationG Dupont
Unite de Chronobiologie theorique, Faculte des Sciences, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Biophys Chem 72:153-67. 1998..ovulated in metaphase II of meiosis, in a state characterized by high levels of cyclin B and of active maturation promoting factor (MPF)...
- Phylogenetic conservation of cytostatic factor related genes in the ascidian Ciona intestinalisGian Luigi Russo
Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, 80121, Napoli, Italy
Gene 429:104-11. 2009..the peculiar aspects of meiotic division, such as the regulation of the cytostatic factor (CSF) and the maturation promoting factor (MPF) in metaphase I or II...
- NDT80, a meiosis-specific gene required for exit from pachytene in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeL Xu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Mol Cell Biol 15:6572-81. 1995....
- Localization of gamma-tubulin and cyclin B during early cleavage in physiologically polyspermic newt eggsYasuhiro Iwao
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Yamaguchi University, 753 8512 Yamaguchi, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 44:489-99. 2002..Cyclin B1 began to accumulate in the nucleus during interphase in synchronous cleavage, and its greatest expression was in the centrosomes and the nucleus at prometaphase...
- A potential role for AMP-activated protein kinase in meiotic induction in mouse oocytesStephen M Downs
Biology Department, Marquette University, 530 N 15 Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA
Dev Biol 245:200-12. 2002..It is concluded that phosphodiesterase-generated AMP may serve as a transducer of the meiotic induction process through activation of AMPK...
- Effect of 6-dimethylaminopurine on electrically activated in vitro matured porcine oocytesChristopher G Grupen
Reproductive Biotechnology Division, BresaGen Limited, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Mol Reprod Dev 62:387-96. 2002The effect of the protein kinase inhibitor, 6-dimethylaminopurine (6-DMAP), on the maturation promoting factor (MPF) activity, pronuclear formation, and parthenogenetic development of electrically activated in vitro matured (IVM) porcine ..
- The Mos/MAPK pathway is involved in metaphase II arrest as a cytostatic factor but is neither necessary nor sufficient for initiating oocyte maturation in goldfishH Kajiura-Kobayashi
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Dev Genes Evol 210:416-25. 2000..We discuss the general role of Mos/MAPK during oocyte maturation, with reference to the difference in contents of inactive MPF (pre-MPF) stored in immature oocytes...
- Prophase I arrest and progression to metaphase I in mouse oocytes are controlled by Emi1-dependent regulation of APC(Cdh1)Petros Marangos
Department of Physiology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, England, UK
J Cell Biol 176:65-75. 2007..Finally, we show that Emi1-dependent effects on meiosis I require the presence of Cdh1. These observations reveal a novel mechanism for the control of entry into the first meiotic division: an Emi1-dependent inhibition of APC(Cdh1)...
- Phosphorylation of two small GTP-binding proteins of the Rab family by p34cdc2E Bailly
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire, CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
Nature 350:715-8. 1991..This may provide a clue to the mechanism by which phosphorylation could affect membrane traffic during mitosis...
- Effect of dexamethasone on the expression of p34(cdc2) and cyclin B1 in pig oocytes in vitroW Y Chen
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, Republic of China
Mol Reprod Dev 56:74-9. 2000..At the G2-M boundary, maturation promoting factor (MPF) activation is usually induced via several ways, including tyrosine dephosphorylation of p34(cdc2) ..
- The Drosophila POLO kinase localises to multiple compartments of the mitotic apparatus and is required for the phosphorylation of MPM2 reactive epitopesE Logarinho
Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, Portugal
J Cell Sci 111:2897-909. 1998..of MPM2 epitopes in Drosophila, at the centrosomes, centromeres and the mitotic spindle, and thus might be involved in co-ordinating the mitotic changes of cellular architecture with the activity of the maturation promoting factor.
- Phase I/II clinical safety studies of terameprocol vaginal ointmentNiharika Khanna
Department of Family and Community Medicine, and Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Gynecol Oncol 107:554-62. 2007..E6/E7 with Sp1-dependent promoters, and induces apoptosis by inactivation of the CDC2/cyclin B complex (maturation promoting factor) and production and phosphorylation of survivin...
- Metaphase I arrest upon activation of the Mad2-dependent spindle checkpoint in mouse oocytesKatja Wassmann
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire du Developpement, UMR7622, CNRS, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 9 quai Saint Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
Curr Biol 13:1596-608. 2003..On the contrary, the existence of such a checkpoint during the first meiotic division in mammalian oocytes when homologous chromosomes are segregated has remained controversial...
- Molecular structure of a major insulin/mitogen-activated 70-kDa S6 protein kinaseP Banerjee
Diabetes Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02129
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:8550-4. 1990..prevent autophosphorylation but permit transphosphorylation; two of these serine residues reside in a maturation promoting factor (MPF)/cdc-2 consensus motif...
- [c-erbB(2) and c-myb induce oocyte maturation via activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase and maturation promoting factor]Yue Hui Zheng
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Nanchang University, Nanchang 330006, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 60:97-104. 2008..and the upstream and downstream relationship with mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and maturation promoting factor (MPF)...
- Potential role of mitogen-activated protein kinase during meiosis resumption in bovine oocytesR A Fissore
Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst 01003, USA
Biol Reprod 55:1261-70. 1996..Together, these results suggest a role for MAP kinase during the initiation and progression of meiosis in bovine oocytes. The data also suggest the presence of an MAP kinase-activating cascade that can be initiated by the Mos protein...
- Chemical activation of in vitro matured dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius) oocytes: optimization of protocolsN A Wani
Central Veterinary Research Laboratory, Post Box 597, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Theriogenology 69:591-602. 2008..ionomycine and ethanol combined with phosphorylation inhibitor (6-dimethylaminopurine) or the specific maturation promoting factor inhibitor (roscovitine) in inducing artificial activation in dromedary M-II oocytes...
- Steroid-induced oocyte maturation in Atlantic croaker (Micropogonias undulatus) is dependent on activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signal transduction pathwayMargaret C Pace
The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute, Port Aransas, Texas 78373, USA
Biol Reprod 73:988-96. 2005..These results demonstrate that activation of cAMP-independent signaling pathways, especially the Pik3/Akt pathway, is necessary for 20beta-S-induced GVBD in Atlantic croaker oocytes...
- Possible involvement of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, but not protein kinase B or glycogen synthase kinase 3beta, in progesterone-induced oocyte maturation in the Japanese brown frog, Rana japonicaRyoma Ota
Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Advanced Life Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Zoolog Sci 25:773-81. 2008..On the basis of these results, we propose that PI3K is involved in the initiation of Rana oocyte maturation, but that neither PKB nor GSK3beta is a component of the PI3K signal transduction pathway...
- Intracellular calcium in the fertilization and development of mammalian eggsKeith T Jones
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, Framlington Place, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:1084-9. 2007..The nature of the signals remains little explored, but their importance is clear and so warrants further investigation...
- Control of mitotic exit by PP2A regulation of Cdc25C and Cdk1Craig M Forester
Department of Oncological Sciences and Center for Children, Huntsman Cancer Institute, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19867-72. 2007..These observations place PP2A:B56delta as a key upstream regulator of Cdk1 activity upon exit from mitosis...
- Spi1 GTPase interacts with RCC1 to maintain interdependency of cell cycle eventsT Matsumoto
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY 11724
Princess Takamatsu Symp 22:145-52. 1991..pim1-induced mitosis requires maturation promoting factor (MPF) activity, but not the essential mitotic inducer, cdc25...
- Molecular characterization and expression profiles of cyclin A and cyclin B during ovarian development of the giant tiger shrimp Penaeus monodonVirak Visudtiphole
Aquatic Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology BIOTEC, National Science and Technology Development Agency, 113 Paholyothin Road, Klong 1, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 152:535-43. 2009The meiotic maturation of oocytes is regulated by maturation promoting factor (MPF), a complex of cdc2 (Cdk1) and cyclin B and other Cdk/cyclin complexes...
- Transgenic cloned mice expressing enhanced green fluorescent protein generated by activation stimuli combined with 6-dimethylaminopurineC H Chen
Division of Biotechnology, Animal Technology Institute Taiwan, Chunan, Miaoli, Taiwan
Reprod Domest Anim 43:547-55. 2008..A protein kinase inhibitor, 6-dimethylaminopurine (6-DMAP), was used to inhibit the activity of maturation promoting factor for activation of oocytes, but it has never been successfully applied in mouse cloning...
- A deadenylation negative feedback mechanism governs meiotic metaphase arrestEulàlia Belloc
Centre for Genomic Regulation CRG, Pompeu Fabra University UPF, C Dr Aiguader 88, 08003, Barcelona, Spain
Nature 452:1017-21. 2008..This negative feedback loop is required to exit from metaphase into interkinesis and for meiotic progression...
- Cloning and sequencing of cDNA encoding rat GTP cyclohydrolase I. The first enzyme of the tetrahydrobiopterin biosynthetic pathwayK Hatakeyama
Department of Medical Chemistry, Osaka Medical College, Japan
J Biol Chem 266:765-9. 1991..This region in GTP cyclohydrolase I may be assigned to the binding site of tetrahydrobiopterin, one of the inhibitors of this enzyme...
- Endocrine/paracrine control of zebrafish ovarian developmentEric Clelland
Department of Biology, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 312:42-52. 2009..or maturation inducing hormone (MIH) which acts through membrane progestin receptors to activate maturation promoting factor, leading to oocyte maturation...
- Regulation of Xenopus p21-activated kinase (X-PAK2) by Cdc42 and maturation-promoting factor controls Xenopus oocyte maturationJ Cau
Centre de Recherche de Biochimie Macromoleculaire, CNRS UPR 1086, 1919 Route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Biol Chem 275:2367-75. 2000..We hypothesize that the X-PAK2/Cdc42 pathway could link p34(cdc2) activity to the major cytoskeleton rearrangements leading to spindle migration and anchorage to the animal pole cortex...
- Epithelial cell transforming protein 2 (ECT2) depletion blocks polar body extrusion and generates mouse oocytes containing two metaphase II spindlesJudith Elbaz
Weizmann Institute of Science, Department of Biological Regulation, Herzel Street 1, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Endocrinology 151:755-65. 2010..In conclusion, our study demonstrates the indispensable role of the maturation-promoting factor/ECT2/RhoA pathway in PBI extrusion in mouse oocytes...
- On the role of Cdc2 kinase during meiotic maturation of oocyte in the Chinese mitten crab, Eriocheir sinensisGao Feng Qiu
E Institute of Shanghai Universities EISU Aquaculture Division, and Key Laboratory of Aquatic Genetic Resources and Aquacultural Ecology, Shanghai Ocean University, 999 Hucheng Ring Road, Shanghai, PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 152:243-8. 2009..These findings suggest that Cdc2 kinase has essential roles in inducing GVBD and generating meiotic apparatus during the crab oocyte maturation...
- Palmitoylation of Ha-Ras facilitates membrane binding, activation of downstream effectors, and meiotic maturation in Xenopus oocytesT Dudler
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 1700, USA
J Biol Chem 271:11541-7. 1996..of the mutant to induce phosphorylation and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase and maturation promoting factor, which are both strongly activated by wild-type Ha-Ras...
- Germinal vesicle breakdown is not fully dependent on MAPK activation in maturing oocytes of marine nemertean wormsT L Smythe
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 70:91-102. 2005..of two regulatory kinases: mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and Cdc2/cyclin B (referred to as maturation promoting factor or MPF)...
- A simple time delay model for eukaryotic cell cycleJ Srividhya
Indiana University School of Informatics, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47406, USA
J Theor Biol 241:617-27. 2006..model is that a time lag has been introduced in the activation of anaphase promoting complex (APC) by maturation promoting factor (MPF). This is effected by treating MPF as a time-delayed variable in the activation step of APC...
- Functional dissection of YA, an essential, developmentally regulated nuclear lamina protein in Drosophila melanogasterJ Liu
Section of Genetics and Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 2703, USA
Mol Cell Biol 18:188-97. 1998..Finally, we showed that the C-terminal 179 amino acids of YA are necessary to target, or retain, YA in the nuclear envelope...
- Induction and inhibition of oocyte maturation by EDCs in zebrafishToshinobu Tokumoto
Department of Biology and Geosciences, Faculty of Science, National University Corporation Shizuoka University, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 3:69. 2005..We previously described the induction of oocyte maturation in fish by an endocrine-disrupting chemical (EDC), diethylstilbestrol (DES), a nonsteroidal estrogen...
- Meiotic cell cycle arrest in mammalian oocytesAnima Tripathi
Department of Zoology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Cell Physiol 223:592-600. 2010..The maturation promoting factor, cytostatic factors, and spindle assembly checkpoint proteins are also involved in that maintenance of ..
- Morphological and biochemical dynamics of porcine cumulus-oocyte complexes: role of cumulus expansion in oocyte maturationE Sato
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Ital J Anat Embryol 110:205-17. 2005..Moreover, we found that hyaluronan-CD44 system during cumulus expansion induces the activation of maturation promoting factor, resulting in germinal vesicle breakdown of the oocytes, and the tyrosine-phosphorylation of Cx43 in ..
- cdc-25.2, a C. elegans ortholog of cdc25, is required to promote oocyte maturationJiyoung Kim
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Bio Molecular Informatics Center, Konkuk University, Seoul 143 701, South Korea
J Cell Sci 123:993-1000. 2010..3. We propose that cdc-25 family members function as distinct but related cell cycle regulators to control diverse cell cycles in C. elegans germline development...
- Effect of cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibition on expression, localization and activity of maturation promoting factor (MPF) and mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) in bovine oocytesM D Quetglas
Departamento de Ciencias Basicas, Faculdade de Zootecnia e Engenharia de Alimentos, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reprod Domest Anim 45:1074-81. 2010..kinase (CDK) inhibition on factors involved in the control of meiosis in bovine oocytes: maturation promoting factor (MPF) (p34(cdc2) and cyclin B1) and mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK)...
- [Progress in research on oocytes parthenogenetic activation]Mei lian Peng
The Affiliated Obstetrics and Gynecological Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310006, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 36:307-12. 2007..of oocyte is the result of calcium ion oscillations and deactivation of some cytokines such as maturation promoting factor, mitogen-activated protein kinase and cytostatic factor...
- Effects of puberty and gonadotropins on the molecular events controlling meiotic resumption of mouse oocytesDong Han
Laboratory for Animal Reproduction and Embryology, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shandong Agricultural University, Tai an City 271018, Shandong Province, People s Republic of China
Reproduction 139:959-69. 2010..Together, the results suggest that puberty and gonadotropin control oocyte meiotic progression mainly by regulating the ADCY activity and the concentration of the activated MPF toward the GV region...
- The Role of Cks Proteins in Mammalian MeiosisCharles H Spruck; Fiscal Year: 2010..Uncovering the function(s) of Cks2 in mammalian meiosis could lead to a better understanding about how Ml is regulated, and help to define the underlying causes of infertility and birth defects in humans. ..
- Regulation of Female Meiosis by the Cdc25b PhosphatasePeter Donovan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Resumption of meiosis requires activation of maturation promoting factor (MPF), the complex of cyclin B and cyclin dependent kinase-1 (CDK1/p34cdc2)...
- Reproduction of Transgenic Pigs by Nuclear TransplantationRandall S Prather; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim is to determine the methylation profile and transcriptional profile of two different types of stem cells as compared to fetal-derived fibroblast-like cells. ..
- Insulin and Oocyte Chromatin SegregationGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- Genetically Modified Rhesus MonkeysShoukhrat Mitalipov; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such animals should provide a resource for the study of human neurogenetic diseases and serve as pre-clinical models for new experimental treatments including gene and stem cell based therapies. ..
- Novel method to produce transgenic rabbitsFuliang Du; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- S6 Phosphorylation & Tyrosine Protein KinasesJAMES MALLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Experiments will evaluate whether Bub1 mediates CSF arrest by the MAPK pathway. This work provides a link between the MAPK/Rsk pathway and checkpoint control of the cell cycle at the metaphase/anaphase transition. ..
- CONTROL OF CELL DIVISION IN XENOPUS OOCYTESJAMES MALLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Further work will examine the regulation, localization, and targets of PIx1 and identify kinases that activate xPIkk1. ..
- CONFOCAL MICROSCOPEGary Wessel; Fiscal Year: 2003..The requested instrument would significantly enhance the research productivity of the broad, interdisciplinary community of researchers described here, and greatly improve the biological image capabilities in the region. ..
- Release and molecular composition of mammalian SFsRafael Fissore; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Cyclin A1 in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaDEBRA WOLGEMUTH; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PROTEIN PHOSPHATASES AND OOCYTE MEIOSISGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide novel information concerning control of oocyte maturation and spindle formation that may subsequently influence the developmental competency of resulting embryos. ..