Genomes and Genes
lupus coagulation inhibitor
Summary: An antiphospholipid antibody found in association with systemic lupus erythematosus (LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS, SYSTEMIC;), ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROME; and in a variety of other diseases as well as in healthy individuals. In vitro, the antibody interferes with the conversion of prothrombin to thrombin and prolongs the partial thromboplastin time. In vivo, it exerts a procoagulant effect resulting in thrombosis mainly in the larger veins and arteries. It further causes obstetrical complications, including fetal death and spontaneous abortion, as well as a variety of hematologic and neurologic complications.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Antiphospholipid antibody tests: spreading the netM L Bertolaccini
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1639-43. 2005....
- Laboratory classification categories and pregnancy outcome in patients with primary antiphospholipid syndrome prescribed antithrombotic therapyA Ruffatti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Italy
Thromb Res 123:482-7. 2009..A relationship between antibody profile and pregnancy outcome in patients with a previous diagnosis of primary antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) has not been clearly documented...
- Prediction of adverse pregnancy outcome by the presence of lupus anticoagulant, but not anticardiolipin antibody, in patients with antiphospholipid antibodiesMichael D Lockshin
Hospital for Special Surgery and Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York
Arthritis Rheum 64:2311-8. 2012....
- Clinical course of high-risk patients diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndromeV Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Center, University Hospital, Padova, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 8:237-42. 2010..The characteristics and the clinical course of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) in high-risk patients that are positive for all three recommended tests that detect the presence of antiphospholipid (aPL) antibodies have not been described...
- Influence of different IgG anticardiolipin antibody cut-off values on antiphospholipid syndrome classificationA Ruffatti
Rheumatology Unit, University of Padua, Padua, Padova, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 6:1693-6. 2008....
- Invitation to a debate on the serological criteria that define the antiphospholipid syndromeM Galli
J Thromb Haemost 6:399-401. 2008
- Phosphatidylserine IgG and beta-2-glycoprotein I IgA antibodies may be a risk factor for ischaemic strokeT Kahles
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, JW Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1161-5. 2005....
- Observational study of pregnant women with a previous spontaneous abortion before the 10th gestation week with and without antiphospholipid antibodiesC Chauleur
Research Team EA2992, Montpellier University 1, Nimes, France
J Thromb Haemost 8:699-706. 2010..Although this diagnostic classification of APS appeared to be the most sensitive, the APS-associated serological criteria are still debated...
- Update on anti-phospholipid antibodies in SLE: the Hopkins' Lupus CohortM Petri
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Lupus 19:419-23. 2010..Anti-phospholipid antibodies are not associated with atherosclerosis...
- Lupus anticoagulants are stronger risk factors for thrombosis than anticardiolipin antibodies in the antiphospholipid syndrome: a systematic review of the literatureMonica Galli
Division of Hematology, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Blood 101:1827-32. 2003..However, to take full advantage of the conclusions provided by the available evidence, there is an urgent need to harmonize investigational methods...
- beta2-Glycoprotein I inhibits von Willebrand factor dependent platelet adhesion and aggregationJanine J J Hulstein
Laboratory for Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Haematology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Blood 110:1483-91. 2007..This mode of action could contribute to the thrombosis and consumptive thrombocytopenia observed in patients with anti-beta(2) GPI antibodies...
- Correlation between antiphospholipid antibodies that recognize domain I of beta2-glycoprotein I and a reduction in the anticoagulant activity of annexin A5Bas de Laat
Department of Haematology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Blood 109:1490-4. 2007..These results are consistent with a model in which aPL antibodies may promote thrombosis by interfering with the anticoagulant activity of AnxA5...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and incidence of venous thrombosis in a cohort of patients with systemic lupus erythematosusEmily Somers
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Rheumatol 29:2531-6. 2002..To study the relationship between antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) and the incidence of venous thrombosis (VT) among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- IgG antibodies that recognize epitope Gly40-Arg43 in domain I of beta 2-glycoprotein I cause LAC, and their presence correlates strongly with thrombosisBas de Laat
Department of Haematology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3584CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Blood 105:1540-5. 2005..In conclusion, antibodies directed at domain I (epitope comprising Gly40 and Arg43) have lupus anticoagulant activity and strongly associate with thrombosis...
- Neuropsychiatric manifestations in systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence and association with antiphospholipid antibodiesGiovanni Sanna
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, London, UK
J Rheumatol 30:985-92. 2003..Neuropsychometric testing was applied by a neuropsychologist. Univariate and multivariate statistical analyses were applied to evaluate the association bewteen NP manifestations, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) abnormalities, and aPL...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies (APLA) in immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) and antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)Carlos J Bidot
Wallace H Coulter Platelet Laboratory, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Am J Hematol 81:391-6. 2006..The difference in APLA may result in opposite clinical manifestations in two disorders...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome in patients presenting with immune thrombocytopenic purpura: a prospective cohort studyR Diz-Kucukkaya
Divisions of Hematology and Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Turkey
Blood 98:1760-4. 2001..In patients with ITP, the persistent presence of APAs is an important risk factor for the development of APS...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies may be a new prognostic parameter in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomaOsnat Bairey
Institute of Hematology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Eur J Haematol 76:384-91. 2006....
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in adults with immune thrombocytopenic purpuraCarole Pierrot-Deseilligny Despujol
Centre de Référence National pour la Prise en Charge et la Recherche sur les Cytopénies Auto immunes de l Adulte, Hopital Henri Mondor, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 12, Creteil, France
Br J Haematol 142:638-43. 2008..9; 95% CI: 2.3-43.4) or high IgG-aCL level (HR: 7.5; 95% CI; 1.8-31.5). Although the thrombosis rate was low, the significant associations between thrombosis and LA or high aCL level suggest that aPL should be tested at ITP diagnosis...
- Long-term remission from life-threatening hypercoagulable state associated with lupus anticoagulant (LA) following rituximab therapyEugene R Ahn
Department of Microbiology Immunology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Am J Hematol 78:127-9. 2005..Rituximab induced a lasting remission in a woman suffering from life-threatening hypercoagulable state associated with LA. Her clinical remission was associated with disappearance of LA...
- Update of the guidelines for lupus anticoagulant detection. Subcommittee on Lupus Anticoagulant/Antiphospholipid Antibody of the Scientific and Standardisation Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and HaemostasisV Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Center, University Hospital, 35128 Padova, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 7:1737-40. 2009..Calculation of cut-off values for each diagnostic step are clearly stated. A final paragraph reports the interpretation of the results in general and in particular situations...
- Lupus anticoagulants and their relationship with the inhibitors against coagulation factor VIII: considerations on the differentiation between the 2 circulating anticoagulantsArmando Tripodi
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Dermatology, University and Foundation IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Clin Chem 51:1883-5. 2005
- Kinetics of prothrombin-mediated binding of lupus anticoagulant antibodies to phosphatidylserine-containing phospholipid membranes: an ellipsometric studyGeorge M Willems
Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 41:14357-63. 2002..The kinetics of adsorption and desorption indicate that divalent binding of LA IgG to prothrombin at the lipid membrane occurs...
- Identification of thrombin antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid syndromeWolfgang Miesbach
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main Medical Clinic III, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1050:250-6. 2005..The sensitivity of the test for anti-thrombin antibodies for the diagnosis of APS was higher than the sensitivity of the anti-prothrombin assay and similar to the sensitivity of the anti-Ser/Pro assay...
- Thrombotic risk factors in primary antiphospholipid syndrome: a 5-year prospective studyMaurizio Turiel
Department of Cardiology, Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi, University of Milan, Via Galeazzi 4, 20161 Milan, Italy
Stroke 36:1490-4. 2005..Because thromboembolic events are frequently observed in primary antiphospholipid syndrome (PAPS), we assessed the risk factors for new thrombotic episodes...
- A simple method to discriminate between beta2-glycoprotein I- and prothrombin-dependent lupus anticoagulantsM J A Simmelink
Thrombosis and Haemostasis Laboratory, Department of Haematology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 1:740-7. 2003....
- Antiphospholipid syndrome: diagnostic aspects of lupus anticoagulantsJ Arnout
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Thromb Haemost 86:83-91. 2001..These LA positive monoclonal antibodies may be helpful in further improving the laboratory diagnosis of LA...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies: do we still need to perform anticardiolipin ELISA assays?P de Moerloose
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 2:1071-3. 2004
- Antibodies to factor XII and recurrent fetal loss in patients with the anti-phospholipid syndromeD W Jones
Kent Haemophilia Centre, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Canterbury, Kent, UK
Br J Haematol 113:550-2. 2001..4, p = 0.025)...
- Thrombogenic mechanisms of antiphospholipid antibodiesN L Esmon
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Oklahoma City, USA
Thromb Haemost 78:79-82. 1997..It is unlikely any single mechanism is responsible for the thrombogenic activity of all APAs associated with thrombosis and this will be a fertile field of investigation for a significant time to come...
- Association between the prevalence of antibodies to beta(2)-glycoprotein I, prothrombin, protein C, protein S, and annexin V in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and thrombotic and thrombocytopenic complicationsJ Nojima
Central Laboratory for Clinical Investigation, Osaka University Hospital, 2 15 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Clin Chem 47:1008-15. 2001..Our aim was to clarify the roles in thrombosis of aPL Abs that react with complexes of phospholipids and plasma proteins such as beta(2)-glycoprotein I (beta(2)-GPI), prothrombin, protein C, protein S, and annexin V...
- Antibodies to factor XII associated with lupus anticoagulantD W Jones
Kent Haemophilia Centre, Canterbury Hospitals NHS Trust, United Kingdom
Thromb Haemost 81:387-90. 1999..These results suggest that FXII antibodies are present in a significant proportion of LA+ patients and may lead to an erroneous diagnosis of FXII deficiency...
- Beta-2-glycoprotein I dependent lupus anticoagulants form stable bivalent antibody beta-2-glycoprotein I complexes on phospholipid surfacesJ Arnout
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Thromb Haemost 79:79-86. 1998..In summary, these experiments indicate that the beta2GPI-dependent LA effect depends on the formation of bivalent beta2GPI-antibody complexes on phospholipid surfaces...
- Thrombophilic dimension of recurrent fetal loss in Indian patientsSonal Vora
National Institute of Immunohaematology ICMR, KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 19:581-4. 2008....
- Antiphospholipid antibodies: predictive value of laboratory testsM Galli
Division of Haematology, Ospedali Riunlti, Bergamo, Italy
Thromb Haemost 78:75-8. 1997....
- Effect of anti-beta2glycoprotein I Lupus Anticoagulants on fibrin polymerization and fibrinolysisV Pengo
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Thrombosis Center, University of Padova School of Medicine, Ex Busonera Hospital, Italy
Autoimmunity 32:39-44. 2000..These data provide evidence that anti-beta2GPI LA may act as either anticoagulants or procoagulants in different in vitro coagulation tests...
- Autoantibodies against endothelial protein C receptor and the risk of a first deep vein thrombosisA Van Hylckama Vlieg
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 5:1449-54. 2007..Anti-EPCR autoantibodies have been associated with fetal death and myocardial infarction in young women...
- Association between antiphospholipid antibodies and recurrent fetal loss in women without autoimmune disease: a metaanalysisLucie Opatrny
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Hospital Center, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:2214-21. 2006....
- Clinical significance of different antiphospholipid antibodies in the WAPS (warfarin in the antiphospholipid syndrome) studyMonica Galli
Divisione di Ematologia, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Blood 110:1178-83. 2007..They also suggest that the measurement of aPT and aAnAV antibodies is useful in some selected situations and that there is little role for IgM antibody detection...
- MRI findings in central nervous system systemic lupus erythematosus are associated with immunoserological parameters and hypertensionTunde Csepany
Dept of Neurology, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei krt 98, 4012, Debrecen, Hungary
J Neurol 250:1348-54. 2003....
- The anticardiolipin assay is required for sensitive screening for antiphospholipid antibodiesM J Nash
Haemostasis Research Unit, Department of Haematology, University College London, London, UK
J Thromb Haemost 2:1077-81. 2004..5 GPLU (normal < 5 GPLU). These data indicate that omission of aCL testing from the clinical investigation of APS could lead to a failure to diagnose the syndrome in a proportion of patients...
- The activated seven lupus anticoagulant assay detects clinically significant antibodiesGary W Moore
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis Haemophilia Reference Centre, St Thomas Hospital, London, England
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 14:332-7. 2008....
- Autoantibody explosion in antiphospholipid syndromeYehuda Shoenfeld
Department of Medicine B, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Autoimmun 30:74-83. 2008..This autoantibody explosion might be important in early identification of the syndrome and its manifestations...
- Anti-lysobisphosphatidic acid antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome and systemic lupus erythematosusC Alessandri
Cattedra di Reumatologia, Dipartimento di Clinica e Terapia Medica Applicata, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 140:173-80. 2005..However, the clinical utility of aLBPA detection alone or in combination with aCL and/or abeta(2)-GPI remains to be elucidated in larger and longitudinal studies...
- [Anti-phospholipid antibody (aPL)]Moritaka Gotoh
Department of Internal Medicine, Teikyo University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 62:687-90. 2004
- Clinical consequences of antiphospholipid antibodiesR H W M Derksen
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Room F02 127, University Medical Centre, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 62:273-8. 2004..This paper provides the clinician with guidelines for ordering and interpreting tests for aPL and discusses consequences for treatment if persistently positive tests are found...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and thrombosis: association with acquired activated protein C resistance in venous thrombosis and with hyperhomocysteinemia in arterial thrombosisJeannine Kassis
Department of Hematology, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thromb Haemost 92:1312-9. 2004..37) for arterial thrombosis compared to those with neither risk factor. In conclusion, APCR phenotype and hyperhomocysteinemia are associated with a higher risk of venous and arterial thrombosis, respectively, in the presence of aPL...
- Clinical importance of positive test results for lupus anticoagulant and anticardiolipin antibodiesAnne Proven
Division of Rheumatology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 79:467-75. 2004..To assess the performance of 4 clotting assays for lupus anticoagulant (LA) detection, to determine the prevalence of LA and anticardiolipin antibodies (aCL), and to correlate LA and aCL prevalence with systemic disease and thrombosis...
- Clinical characteristics of stroke patients with antiphospholipid antibodiesHiromi Terashi
Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Tokyo Women s Medical University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:384-90. 2005..Antiphospholipid syndrome is important as a cause of ischemic stroke, although clinical characteristics of the syndrome are not well documented...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and fetal compromiseD Ware Branch
University of Utah Health Sciences Center, LDS Hospital, Room 2B200 SOM, 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Thromb Res 114:415-8. 2004
- Clinical significance of anticardiolipin and anti-beta2-glycoprotein I antibodiesGerlinde Obermoser
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 135:148-53. 2004..The scope of this study was to explore the clinical characteristics of patients with aCl and anti-beta2-gpI antibodies...
- Epileptic seizures in systemic lupus erythematosusSimone Appenzeller
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Neurology 63:1808-12. 2004..To evaluate the frequency and risk factors of epileptic seizures in a large cohort of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Strong correlation between the prevalence of cerebral infarction and the presence of anti-cardiolipin/beta2-glycoprotein I and anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies--Co-existence of these antibodies enhances ADP-induced platelet activation in vitJunzo Nojima
Laboratory for Clinical Investigation, Osaka University Hospital, 2 15 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Thromb Haemost 91:967-76. 2004..These results indicate that anti-CL/beta2-GPI and anti-PS/PT may cooperate to promote platelet activation, which may contribute to the risk of cerebral infarction in patients with SLE...
- Influence of aspirin on the clinical outcomes of 103 anti-phospholipid antibodies-positive patientsT Hereng
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Lille, France
Lupus 17:11-5. 2008..01). In conclusion, aPL-positive SLE and AIT patients should take aspirin to prevent APS manifestations. Prospective therapeutic trials are needed to confirm aspirin's prophylactic role in such patients...
- [Antiphospholipid syndrome]Tatsuya Atsumi
Department of Medicine II, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:484-9. 2005
- [Antiphospholipid syndrome and stroke]Yasuhisa Kitagawa
Department of Neurology, Tokai University Hachioji Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 45:852-5. 2005..In SLE patients with stroke, multi-antiphospholipid-protein antibodies was inclined to be present. LA is closely related to ant-PS-PT and aPI and aPS are associated with anti-nuclear antibody and precipitation of atherosclerosis...
- Analysis of risk factors for the development of thrombotic complications in antiphospholipid antibody positive lupus patientsT Tarr
Department of Clinical Immunology, Medical and Health Science Centre, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Lupus 16:39-45. 2007..3% of the APS group. These findings indicate that LAC, constant and cumulative presence of aPL and previous thrombosis are positive predictors for the development of thrombotic complication in lupus patients...
- [New insights on disorders of haemostasis in the antiphospholipid syndrome]Krystyna Zawilska
Pracownia Hemostazy Kliniki Hematologii i Chorób Rozrostowych Układu Krwiotwórczego Akademii Medycznej im K Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:491-9. 2006
- Revision of the Sapporo criteria for the antiphospholipid syndrome-- coming to grips with evidence and Thomas Bayes?Karl J Lackner
Thromb Haemost 95:917-9. 2006
- [Antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome in juvenile lupus erythematosus]Anna M Romicka
Klinika Reumatologii Wieku Rozwojowego, Instytut Reumatologii Klinika Reumatologii Wieku Rozwojowego
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:477-80. 2006
- Antiphospholipid syndrome nephropathy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid antibodies: prevalence, clinical associations, and long-term outcomeMaria G Tektonidou
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, National University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Arthritis Rheum 50:2569-79. 2004..To evaluate the prevalence, clinical associations, and outcome of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) nephropathy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) and in SLE patients without aPL...
- Antiphospholipid antibody ELISAs: survey on the performance of clinical laboratories assessed by using lyophilized affinity-purified IgG with anticardiolipin and anti-beta2-Glycoprotein I activityVittorio Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Centre, University of Padova School of Medicine, Ex Busonera Hospital, Via Gattamelata 64, I 35128 Padova, Italy
Thromb Res 120:127-33. 2007..Nonetheless the high variability of reported data remains a major problem that only a consensus on the part of laboratories and manufacturers to utilize standard, uniform materials and procedures can hope to overcome...
- Significance of antiphospholipid antibodies in lupus nephritisChindarat Natejumnong
Division of Nephrology, Phramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:S121-8. 2006..Some autoantibodies have been associated with lupus nephritis but the role of antiphospholipid antibodies (APA) is controversial...
- The association of thrombocytopenia with systemic manifestations in the antiphospholipid syndromeIlan Krause
Research Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Immunobiology 210:749-54. 2005..Our data suggest the presence of thrombocytopenia may be a risk factor for cardiac, neurological, articular and cutaneous complications in APS...
- Activated protein C resistance and lupus anticoagulant activity induced by plasma and purified monospecific human IgG anti-beta2-glycoprotein-I antibodiesMartha E Viveros
Department of Immunology and Rheumatology, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran
Rev Invest Clin 57:563-71. 2005..We investigated the activated protein C resistance (APCR) phenotype and the lupus anticoagulant (LA), activity induced by anti-beta2-glycoprotein-I (anti-beta2GP-I) antibodies...
- Antiphospholipid antibodiesDouglas A Triplett
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 1:726-30. 2003..In addition, the currently available methods for laboratory identification of lupus anticoagulants are discussed, as is the laboratory diagnosis of anticardiolipin antibodies...
- Antibody profiles for the diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndromeVittorio Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Center, University of Padova School of Medicine, Ex Busonera Hospital, Via Gattamelata 64, 1 35128 Padova, Italy
Thromb Haemost 93:1147-52. 2005..As compared to a single test, the analysis of a complete antiphospholipid antibody profile can better determine patients at risk...
- Anti-oxLDL antibodies--marker for arterial thromboses in antiphospholipid syndrome?Mirjana Becarevic
Institute for Medical Biochemistry, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade
Clin Lab 51:279-83. 2005..25, p < 0.05), which was not dependent on diagnosis. These preliminary observations have to be confirmed in a larger study...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia relates to the subtype of antiphospholipid antibodies in non-SLE patientsWei Hsi Chen
Stroke Biology Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 13:398-403. 2007..The role of vasculopathic or prothrombotic autoantibody generation in response to specific pathological change such as hyperhomocysteinemia warrants further investigation...
- Long-term follow-up in 128 patients with primary antiphospholipid syndrome: do they develop lupus?José A Gómez-Puerta
Lupus Research Unit, Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Medicine (Baltimore) 84:225-30. 2005..Only 3 patients developed anti-dsDNA antibodies. The presence of a positive Coombs test might be a marker for the development of SLE in patients with primary APS...
- [The antiphospholipid syndrome, an update]J E Alonso Santor
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Rio Hortega, Valladolid, Spain
An Med Interna 24:242-8. 2007..It is very important to evaluate in this setting additional, coincident prothrombotic risk factors...
- The persistence of anticardiolipin antibodies is associated with an increased risk of the presence of lupus anticoagulant and anti-beta2-glycoprotein I antibodiesC Neville
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:1116-20. 2006....
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in young adults with strokeRobin L Brey
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78284 7883, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 20:105-12. 2005..Antiphospholipid antibodies have been associated with a clinical syndrome consisting thrombosis and recurrent, unexplained fetal loss...
- [Laboratory diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome]L Darnige
Service d Hematologie Biologique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20 40, rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex 15, France
Rev Med Interne 27:296-301. 2006..e. lupus anticoagulant and/or anticardiolipin antibodies. This review focuses on the methods for antiphospholipid antibodies detection and their clinical usefulness...
- [Antiphospholipid syndrome]C Specker
Klinik für Rheumatologie and Klinische Immunologie, Katholisches Krankenhaus St Josef, Zentrum für Innere Medizin der Kliniken Essen Süd, Essen
Z Rheumatol 66:41-50; quiz 51-2. 2007....
- beta 2 Glycoprotein I--a key player in the antiphospholipid syndromeBianca C H Lutters
Department of Haematology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Isr Med Assoc J 4:958-62. 2002
- Thromboembolic risk in patients with high titre anticardiolipin and multiple antiphospholipid antibodiesCarolyn Neville
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, The Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thromb Haemost 90:108-15. 2003..5 [0.93-2.3] for ATE and 1.7 [1.1-2.5] for VTE. These results indicate that increased titres of aCL and multiple aPL were associated with an increased risk of a previous thrombotic event...
- Anti-beta2-glycoprotein I antibodies and ischemic stroke in a 20-month-old boyEustathia Katsarou
Department of Neurology, Panagiotis and Aglaia Kyriakou Children s Hospital, Athens, 11527 Greece
Pediatrics 112:188-90. 2003..This case supports the recommendation of others to search for these antibodies in the presence of strong clinical suspicion of antiphospholipid syndrome, when anticardiolipin antibodies and lupus anticoagulant tests are negative...
- [Clinical case of the month. Report of a case of antiphospholipid syndrome]A Fumal
Service de Neurologie,
Rev Med Liege 56:480-3. 2001..We reviewed the literature dedicated to the prothrombotic events linked to the presence of these antiphospholipid antibodies: the lupus anticoagulant and the anticardiolipin antibodies...
- The concomitant presence of lupus anticoagulant, anticardiolipin and anti-beta2-glycoprotein i antibodies could be associated with acquired activated protein c resistance in non-systemic lupus erythematosus patientsLaura Gennari
Br J Haematol 121:527-9. 2003
- [Anti-phospholipid syndrome nephropathy]Dominique Nochy
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20, rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex15
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 154:51-8. 2003..We showed the following..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and the risk of thromboembolic events in valvular heart diseaseHélène G Bulckaen
Service de médecine interne et gériatrie, hôpital gériatrique Les Bateliers, Centre Hospitalier Regional et Universitaire de Lille, 59037 Lille, France
Mayo Clin Proc 78:294-8. 2003..To investigate the role of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPLs) in subsequent thromboembolic events and mortality in a prospective follow-up of 89 patients with severe, nonspecific valvular heart disease...
- Clinical significance of antiphospholipid protein antibodies. Receiver operating characteristics plot analysisJacek Musial
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Krakow, Poland
J Rheumatol 30:723-30. 2003....
- The value of IgA antiphospholipid testing for diagnosis of antiphospholipid (Hughes) syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosusM L Bertolaccini
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, St. Thomas' Hospital, London, UK
J Rheumatol 28:2637-43. 2001..IgA aPT and aPS/PT are not present in patients with SLE, therefore there is no need to test for these antibodies...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and infertilityMay Backos
Department of Reproductive Science and Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine at St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1NY, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 5:30-4. 2002..Hence routine screening for aPL among women undergoing IVF-ET is not warranted and therapeutic interventions should be used only in well designed randomized controlled trials...
- Detection of 'antiphospholipid' antibodies: a single chromogenic assay of thrombin generation sensitively detects lupus anticoagulants, anticardiolipin antibodies, plus antibodies binding beta(2)-glycoprotein I and prothrombinY Sheng
Department of Medicine, St George Hospital, Kogarah and the University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Exp Immunol 124:502-8. 2001..All MoAbs binding beta(2)GPI showed inhibition of thrombin generation, while MoAbs binding domain I of beta(2)GPI had more LA effect...
- The antiphospholipid syndrome and infectionG N Dalekos
Larisa Medical School, University of Thessaly, 22 Papakiriazi Str, 412 22, Larisa, Greece. dalekos@ med.uth.gr
Curr Rheumatol Rep 3:277-85. 2001..Therefore, it may be possible to prevent this devastating evolution if the infectious process is promptly recognized and exhaustively treated...
- [Following 90 patients with antiphospholipid syndrome with antibody titers and correlations with clinical manifestations: symptoms of the disease, a new antibody and correlations with clinical manifestations in the Israeli population]I Marai
Department of Medicine B and Research Unit of Autoimmune Diseases, Chaim Sheba Medical Center (Affiliated to Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Harefuah 140:495-500, 565. 2001..Overall, the patients require therapy with anticoagulant treatment and antiaggregant drugs. The clinical manifestations were similar in Israeli and non-Israeli patients...
- [Antiphospholipid antibodies and neurological disorders. Types and mechanisms]C Viñets
Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Alicante, Espana
Rev Neurol 24:1224-8. 1996..Their role as a probable risk factor for thrombosis in the general population is also discussed. For these reasons, we decided to review the basic biology of the AAFL and the aspects related to neurological disorders...
- Does the anti-beta2-glycoprotein I antibody provide additional information in patients with thrombosis?Eun Young Lee
Division of Allergy and Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1 Pungnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
Thromb Res 111:29-32. 2003..To investigate whether the anti-beta(2)-glycoprotein I (anti-beta(2)GPI) antibody may provide additional information in patients with thrombosis in conjunction with the lupus anticoagulant (LAC) or anticardiolipin (aCL) antibody...
- The contribution of inherited and acquired thrombophilic defects, alone or combined with antiphospholipid antibodies, to venous and arterial thromboembolism in patients with systemic lupus erythematosusJan Leendert P Brouwer
Division of Haemostasis, Thrombosis and Rheology, Department of Hematology, University Hospital Groningen The Netherlands
Blood 104:143-8. 2004..In conclusion, factor V Leiden and the prothrombin mutation contribute to the risk of VTE in patients with SLE, and potentiate this risk when one of these thrombophilic defects are combined with LA and/or ACAs...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome in 57 children and adolescents with systemic lupus erythematosusL M A Campos
Paediatric Rheumatology Unit, Children s Institute, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lupus 12:820-6. 2003..A negative association was observed between APS and the presence of anti-Ro antibodies...
- Lupus anticoagulant testing in Europe: an analysis of results from the first European Concerted Action on Thrombophilia (ECAT) survey using plasmas spiked with monoclonal antibodies against human beta2-glycoprotein IJ Arnout
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Thromb Haemost 81:929-34. 1999....
- [Thrombophilia, preeclampsia and other pregnancy complications]Niksa Vucić
Department of Hematology and Blood Coagulability Disorders, University Department of Medicine, Sveti Duh General Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Med Croatica 63:297-305. 2009..The necessity of anticoagulation therapy in women with inherited or acquired thrombophilia is biologically plausible; nevertheless, optimum management in such cases remains unknown...
- [Antiphospholipid syndrome and antiphospholipid antibodies as a risk factors of ischaemic heart disease and myocardial infarction in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus]Lidia Ostanek
Klinika Reumatologii PAM w Szczecinie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:407-13. 2006..The risk factors of ischemic heart disease and myocardial infarction in SLE patients significantly differ from the ones in general population...
- The relationship of the factor V Leiden mutation and pregnancy outcomes for mother and fetusDonna Dizon-Townson
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Maternal Fetal Medicine Units Network, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Obstet Gynecol 106:517-24. 2005....
- Determinants of risk for venous and arterial thrombosis in primary antiphospholipid syndrome and in antiphospholipid syndrome with systemic lupus erythematosusAdriana Danowski
Rheumatology Department, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1830 East Monument Street, Suite 7500, Baltimore MD 21205, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1195-9. 2009..In most series, only a minority of patients with antiphospholipid antibodies develop a clinical manifestation...
- Critical issues in hematology: anemia, thrombocytopenia, coagulopathy, and blood product transfusions in critically ill patientsReed E Drews
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Chest Med 24:607-22. 2003..Because of its anticoagulant effect, however, drotrecogin alfa may induce bleeding. Guidelines for drotrecogin alfa use must take into account bleeding risks...
- Cutaneous and systemic effects of varying doses of brown recluse spider venom in a rabbit modelDavid L McGlasson
Clinical Research Squadron MSRL, Lackland AFB, TX 78236 5300, USA
Clin Lab Sci 20:99-105. 2007..Establishment of a dose-response relationship is an important first step in determining if the NZW rabbit is a suitable model to study both cutaneous and systemic effects of the venom...
- Different anticoagulant and immunological properties of anti-prothrombin antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid antibodiesM Galli
Department of Haematology, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Thromb Haemost 77:486-91. 1997..These findings suggest that anti-prothrombin antibodies resemble aCL antibodies with respect to the behaviour in "in vitro" coagulation reactions and underline the wide heterogeneity of antiphospholipid antibodies...
- Diagnostic dilemma: unrelenting Fever, cytopenia, and systemic inflammation in a 20-year-old patientNeeraj Agnihotri
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 10:E36. 2010..Such a typical case of HLH is extremely rare. Clinicians should maintain a high degree of suspicion to rule out HLH. Our case adds to the literature on this rare disease and will help in understanding the disease better...
- NOVEL BIOMARKERS FOR MECHANISTIC DIAGNOSIS OF THE ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROMEJACOB RAND; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Epidemiologic Study of Placental AbruptionCande Ananth; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will also add substantial new evidence for associations of several genetic thrombophilias and abruption risk. ..
- Prothrombin Gene Variation and the Risk of SLE and CHDM Ilyas Kamboh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ANTICARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODIES AND OXIDIZED PHOSPHOLIPIDSJoseph Witztum; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. aggressive anti-inflammatory and/or antioxidant interventions). ..
- ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID ANTIBODIES IN THROMBOSISReginald Chukwuocha; Fiscal Year: 2000..The results of these studies will help delineate which APAs are likely to cause thrombosis and may lead to a better prediction of thrombogenic events in APS patients. ..
- ANTICARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODIES IN ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROMEPojen Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Safety of Estrogen in Lupus ErythematosusJill Buyon; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Analysis of Apolipoprotein H in LupusM Kamboh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 5) perform in vitro mutagenesis and expression studies to express different apoH allelic-isoforms to evaluate isoform-specific inhibition of LDL oxidation. ..
- Brain ConnectionsMichelle Petri; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Revision of ACR Classification Criteria for Systemic Lupus ErythematosusMichelle Petri; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project will lead to updated, validated SLE classification criteria that can be immediately used by both industry and academic clinical trials. ..
- AUTOIMMUNE MECHANISMS OF THROMBOSISRobert Roubey; Fiscal Year: 2004..These data will be useful in focusing future research efforts on specific pathways of antibody-mediated monocyte activation and hypercoagulability and in designing new therapeutic strategies...
- SPORADIC MECHANISM OF THE ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROMEJoan Merrill; Fiscal Year: 2001..Therefore, possible modulation by sex-hormones of interactions between these proteins will be addressed in this application. ..
- PREDICTORS OF NEUROPSYCHIATRIC SLEROBIN BREY; Fiscal Year: 2004..The information gained will bridge important gaps in our knowledge about NS involvement in SLE and will lead to new hypothesis-driven studies of etiopathogenesis and treatment. ..
- Cognitive Function in SLE (COGNITION)Robin L Brey; Fiscal Year: 2010..The information that will be gained from this study is essential for the successful discovery of biological processes that impact on cognitive function in SLE that could be potentially amenable to disease-reversing therapies. ..
- TFPI ALPHA AND TFPI BETAGeorge Broze; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Libman-Sacks Endocarditis and NPSLECarlos Roldan; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Procoagulants in Aging CARDIA ParticipantsDavid Green; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HUMAN TISSUE FACTOR AND ITS PLASMA INHIBITORGeorge Broze; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Polymorphisms of Antiphospholipid Protein AntigensJoan Merrill; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additionally, the study of differences in interactions between these coagulation proteins conferred by common, inherited polymorphisms will have intrinsic value, not limited to the antiphospholipid syndrome. ..
- AIDS ASSOCIATED MALIGNANCIES CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMAlexandra Levine; Fiscal Year: 2005..The expertise of our labs and experience will be available to the AMC, which will be considered of the highest priority for our Group. ..
- Cognitive dysfunction in neuropsychiatric-SLEMichael Lockshin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Successful completion of this research will redefine the pathogenesis of cognitive dysfunction and suggest therapeutic targets for intervention...
- ANTI-PHOSPHOLIPID ANTIBODIES AND THE PROTEIN C SYSTEMNAOMI ESMON; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Immune Thrombocytopenia and Low-Level Mercury ExposureJodi Segal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Segal with the necessary support for successful completion [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN PATIENT-ORIENTED RESEARROBIN BREY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Much will be learned about the relative importance of genetic factors and autoantibodies on vascular disease risk in SLE that is likely to apply to other populations also at increased risk for cerebral ischemia and vascular dementia. ..
- Stroke:Role of aPL, hemostatic markers, and telestrokeSteven Levine; Fiscal Year: 2006....