Genomes and Genes
fibrin fibrinogen degradation products
Summary: Soluble protein fragments formed by the proteolytic action of plasmin on fibrin or fibrinogen. FDP and their complexes profoundly impair the hemostatic process and are a major cause of hemorrhage in intravascular coagulation and fibrinolysis.
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- Does this patient have deep vein thrombosis?Philip S Wells
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario
JAMA 295:199-207. 2006..Missed DVT diagnosis may result in fatal pulmonary embolism. Since many patients may have DVT, a selective and efficient diagnostic process is needed...
- Cross-talk between inflammation,coagulation/fibrinolysis and vascular access in hemodialysis patientsE Costa
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde da Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Porto, Portugal
J Vasc Access 9:248-53. 2008..The increased levels of Ddimer, tPA and inflammatory markers in CKD patients using a CVC, led us to propose a relationship between the type of VA chosen for HD, and the risk of thrombogenesis...
- Multidetector-row computed tomography in suspected pulmonary embolismArnaud Perrier
Service of General Internal Medicine, Geneva Faculty of Medicine and Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 352:1760-8. 2005..We evaluated whether the use of D-dimer measurement and multidetector-row CT, without lower-limb ultrasonography, might safely rule out pulmonary embolism...
- Excluding pulmonary embolism at the bedside without diagnostic imaging: management of patients with suspected pulmonary embolism presenting to the emergency department by using a simple clinical model and d-dimerP S Wells
Division of Hematology, The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Suite 452, 737 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 1J8, Canada
Ann Intern Med 135:98-107. 2001..5% (CI, 99.1% to 100%). CONCLUSION: Managing patients for suspected pulmonary embolism on the basis of pretest probability and D -dimer result is safe and decreases the need for diagnostic imaging...
- D-dimer, P-selectin, and microparticles: novel markers to predict deep venous thrombosis. A pilot studyJohn E Rectenwald
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Thromb Haemost 94:1312-7. 2005..However for clinical applicability, the sensitivity/specificity will need to be improved. These studies also suggest the importance of soluble P-selectin in assessing DVT in humans...
- Use of soluble fibrin antigen instead of D-dimer as fibrin-related marker may enhance the prognostic power of the ISTH overt DIC scoreCarl Erik Dempfle
University Hospital of Mannheim, I Department of Medicine, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, D 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Thromb Haemost 91:812-8. 2004..The present data on the distribution of values may provide a basis for the selection of appropriate cutoff points for assigning 2, and 3 points in the score...
- Effect of intravenous FX06 as an adjunct to primary percutaneous coronary intervention for acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction results of the F.I.R.E. (Efficacy of FX06 in the Prevention of Myocardial Reperfusion Injury) trialDan Atar
Division of Cardiology and Faculty of Medicine, Aker University Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:720-9. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether FX06 would limit infarct size when given as an adjunct to percutaneous coronary intervention...
- A high admission syndecan-1 level, a marker of endothelial glycocalyx degradation, is associated with inflammation, protein C depletion, fibrinolysis, and increased mortality in trauma patientsPär I Johansson
Section for Transfusion Medicine, Capital Region Blood Bank, Copenhagen University Hospital, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Surg 254:194-200. 2011..To investigate the association between markers of acute endothelial glycocalyx degradation, inflammation, coagulopathy, and mortality after trauma...
- Ruling out deep venous thrombosis in primary care. A simple diagnostic algorithm including D-dimer testingRuud Oudega
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 94:200-5. 2005....
- Plasma fibrin D-dimer levels correlate with tumour volume, progression rate and survival in patients with metastatic breast cancerLuc Y Dirix
Oncology Center, AZ St Augustinus Oosterveldlaan 24, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Br J Cancer 86:389-95. 2002..A role of interleukin-6, by influencing both angiogenesis and haemostasis, is suggested by these observations...
- Fibrin D-dimer and cardiovascular riskGordon D O Lowe
Division of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Semin Vasc Med 5:387-98. 2005..Harmonization of results from different assays would increase clinical utility...
- Predictive value of procalcitonin and interleukin 6 in critically ill patients with suspected sepsisVille Pettila
Department of Surgery, Division of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, P O Box 340, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
Intensive Care Med 28:1220-5. 2002....
- Contemporary management of pulmonary embolism: the answers to ten questionsH Bounameaux
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
J Intern Med 268:218-31. 2010..A critical appraisal of the contemporary management of suspected PE is given in this overview with the discussion of 10 practical questions...
- Diagnostic accuracy of conventional or age adjusted D-dimer cut-off values in older patients with suspected venous thromboembolism: systematic review and meta-analysisHenrike J Schouten
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508GA Utrecht, Netherlands
BMJ 346:f2492. 2013..To review the diagnostic accuracy of D-dimer testing in older patients (>50 years) with suspected venous thromboembolism, using conventional or age adjusted D-dimer cut-off values...
- An age-adapted approach for the use of D-dimers in the exclusion of deep venous thrombosisFred J L M Haas
Department of Clinical Chemistry, St Antonius Hospital, 3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Am J Hematol 84:488-91. 2009..A cut-off level of 750 microg/L for patients > or = 60 years improves the clinical performance of DD assays in combination with the PTP score without the loss of NPV. The NNT improves substantially with an age-adapted algorithm...
- Study on construction of nano tPA plasmid to prevent thrombosis after mechanical valve replacement in dogsShangyi Ji
Shenzhen Sun Yat sen Cardiovascular Hospital, Shenzhen Heart Institute, Guangdong, China
J Surg Res 168:e1-5. 2011..Mechanical valve is inclined to induce thrombosis. We intend to elucidate the transfection of nano tissue-type plasminogen activator (tPA) gene plasmid to prevent thrombosis after tricuspid mechanical valve replacement in dogs...
- Different cut-off values for two D-dimer assays to exclude deep venous thrombosis in primary careRuud Oudega
Thromb Haemost 95:744-6. 2006
- Risk of recurrence after venous thromboembolism in men and women: patient level meta-analysisJames Douketis
St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, Hamilton, ON, Canada
BMJ 342:d813. 2011..Data source Comprehensive search of electronic databases (Medline, Embase, CINAHL, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials) until July 2010, supplemented by review of conference abstracts and contact with content experts...
- Elevated D-dimer levels predict recurrence in patients with idiopathic venous thromboembolism: a meta-analysisE Bruinstroop
Leiden University Medical Center, Section of Vascular Medicine, Department of General Internal Medicine Endocrinology, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 7:611-8. 2009..The evidence on the optimal duration of treatment in patients with an idiopathic venous thromboembolic event (VTE) is inconclusive. d-dimer testing to predict recurrent VTE has been evaluated in several studies...
- High rate of unprovoked recurrent venous thrombosis is associated with high thrombin-generating potential in a prospective cohort studyM Besser
Department of Haematology, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
J Thromb Haemost 6:1720-5. 2008..To determine the predictive value of measurement of parameters of thrombin generation for unprovoked recurrent venous thrombosis...
- Patient-level meta-analysis: effect of measurement timing, threshold, and patient age on ability of D-dimer testing to assess recurrence risk after unprovoked venous thromboembolismJames Douketis
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 153:523-31. 2010..However, questions remain about the utility of measuring d-dimer in clinical practice...
- Efficacy and safety of recombinant human activated protein C for severe sepsisG R Bernard
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
N Engl J Med 344:699-709. 2001..In this phase 3 trial, we assessed whether treatment with drotrecogin alfa activated reduced the rate of death from any cause among patients with severe sepsis...
- Diagnostic accuracy of D-dimer test for exclusion of venous thromboembolism: a systematic reviewM Di Nisio
Department of Medicine and Aging, School of Medicine, and Aging Research Centre, Ce S I, Gabriele D Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 5:296-304. 2007..It is unknown to what extent this is due to differences in study design or patient groups, or to genuine differences between D-dimer assays...
- Predictive value of D-dimer test for recurrent venous thromboembolism after anticoagulation withdrawal in subjects with a previous idiopathic event and in carriers of congenital thrombophiliaGualtiero Palareti
Dipartimento di Angiologia, Unità Ricerca Clinica sulla Trombofilia Marino Golinelli, University Hospital S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Circulation 108:313-8. 2003..The aim of the present study was to assess the predictive value of D-dimer for recurrent VTE in subjects with a previous unprovoked event who are either carriers of inherited thrombophilia or not...
- D-dimer levels and risk of recurrent venous thromboembolismSabine Eichinger
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Vienna, Austria
JAMA 290:1071-4. 2003..Because of the increasing number of risk factors, assessing the risk of recurrence in an individual patient is intricate; therefore, a laboratory method that measures multifactorial thrombophilia is required...
- Plasma D-dimers in the diagnosis of venous thromboembolismJames Kelly
SpR in Elderly Care GIM, Elderly Care Dept, c o Alexandra Ward, North Wing, Ninth Floor, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, Lambeth, London SE1 7EH, England
Arch Intern Med 162:747-56. 2002..If alternative assays are to be substituted, these should consistently have been shown to possess equivalent or greater sensitivity...
- Evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of suspected deep-vein thrombosisPhilip S Wells
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
N Engl J Med 349:1227-35. 2003....
- Activation of the tissue factor pathway of blood coagulation in patients with chronic urticariaRiccardo Asero
Ambulatorio di Allergologia, Clinica San Carlo, Paderno Dugnano, Italy
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:705-10. 2007..In patients with chronic urticaria (CU), plasma shows signs of thrombin generation and autologous plasma skin tests score positive in as many as 95% of cases...
- High incidence of silent venous thromboembolism before treatment in ovarian cancerT Satoh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Br J Cancer 97:1053-7. 2007..The usefulness of preoperative assessment of VTE needs further confirmation in randomised controlled trials...
- Diagnosing pulmonary embolism: running after the decreasing prevalence of cases among suspected patientsG Le Gal
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 2:1244-6. 2004
- Derivation of a simple clinical model to categorize patients probability of pulmonary embolism: increasing the models utility with the SimpliRED D-dimerP S Wells
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thromb Haemost 83:416-20. 2000..The combination of a score < or =4.0 by our simple clinical prediction rule and a negative SimpliRED D-Dimer result may safely exclude PE in a large proportion of patients with suspected PE...
- Combination of a normal D-dimer concentration and a non-high pretest clinical probability score is a safe strategy to exclude deep venous thrombosisR E G Schutgens
Department of Internal Medicine, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Circulation 107:593-7. 2003..We studied the clinical validity of the combination of a pretest clinical probability score and a D-dimer test in the initial evaluation of patients suspected of deep venous thrombosis...
- Unprovoked recurrent venous thrombosis: prediction by D-dimer and clinical risk factorsT Baglin
Department of Haematology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
J Thromb Haemost 6:577-82. 2008..The aim of the study was to determine the predictive value of D-dimer measurement for unprovoked recurrent venous thrombosis and the influence of sex, age and type of first event (unprovoked or provoked)...
- Analytical and clinical validation of a new point-of-care testing system for determination of D-Dimer in human bloodJohannes J Sidelmann
Department for Thrombosis Research, Institute for Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, and Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Hospital of South West Denmark, Esbjerg, Denmark
Thromb Res 126:524-30. 2010..The test is rapidly performed and the measuring range of the assay is wide. The NPV, PPV, specificity, sensitivity and AUC of AQT D-Dimer for both proximal and distal DVT are comparable to routine D-Dimer assays...
- Clinical usefulness of D-dimer depending on clinical probability and cutoff value in outpatients with suspected pulmonary embolismMarc Righini
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Geneva University Hospital, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Arch Intern Med 164:2483-7. 2004....
- A new diagnostic rule for deep vein thrombosis: safety and efficiency in clinically relevant subgroupsD B Toll
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 25:3-8. 2008..However, the rule's 'efficiency' (proportion of patients designated by the rule as very low risk) and safety (DVT prevalence among these very low risk patients) may change according to patient characteristics...
- Using an age-dependent D-dimer cut-off value increases the number of older patients in whom deep vein thrombosis can be safely excludedRenee A Douma
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, F4 Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Haematologica 97:1507-13. 2012..We retrospectively validated the efficacy of this cut-off combined with clinical probability for the exclusion of deep vein thrombosis...
- The fibrin-derived peptide Bbeta15-42 protects the myocardium against ischemia-reperfusion injuryPeter Petzelbauer
Department of General Dermatology, Medical University of Vienna, 18 20 Waehringer Guertel, Vienna, 1090, Austria
Nat Med 11:298-304. 2005..The naturally occurring peptide Bbeta15-42 represents a potential candidate for reperfusion therapy in humans...
- Combined use of rapid D-dimer testing and estimation of clinical probability in the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis: systematic reviewTonya L Fancher
Division of General Medicine, University of California at Davis, Patient Support Services Building, Suite 2400, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
BMJ 329:821. 2004..To summarise the evidence supporting the use of rapid d-dimer testing combined with estimation of clinical probability to exclude the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis among outpatients...
- A diagnostic strategy involving a quantitative latex D-dimer assay reliably excludes deep venous thrombosisShannon M Bates
McMaster University Medical Centre, HSC 3W11, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Ann Intern Med 138:787-94. 2003..Because clinical diagnosis is inaccurate, objective testing is usually considered necessary when patients present with suspected deep venous thrombosis (DVT)...
- Clinical probability assessment and D-dimer determination in patients with suspected deep vein thrombosis, a prospective multicenter management studyJ L Elf
Department of Emergency Medicine, Lund University, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Thromb Res 123:612-6. 2009..To investigate the reliability of a combined strategy of clinical assessment score followed by a local D-dimer test to exclude deep vein thrombosis. For comparison D-dimer was analysed post hoc and batchwise at a coagulation laboratory...
- The predictive value of D-dimer measurement for cancer in patients with deep vein thrombosisRoger E G Schutgens
Department of Hematology, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Haematologica 90:214-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of D-dimer concentration in predicting cancer in patients with DVT...
- Clinical decision rules for excluding pulmonary embolism: a meta-analysisWim Lucassen
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 155:448-60. 2011..Clinical probability assessment is combined with d-dimer testing to exclude pulmonary embolism (PE)...
- The fibrin-derived peptide Bbeta15-42 is cardioprotective in a pig model of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injuryJan P Roesner
Department of Anaesthesia, University Hospital Rostock, Germany
Crit Care Med 35:1730-5. 2007..In addition, we evaluated the pharmacokinetics and safety of Bbeta15-42 in several species, including humans...
- Simplification of the diagnostic management of suspected deep vein thrombosisRoderik A Kraaijenhagen
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Intern Med 162:907-11. 2002..We hypothesized that a normal finding of a D-dimer assay safely obviates the need for repeated ultrasonography. In addition, we evaluated the potential value of a pretest probability assessment for this purpose...
- Patient-level compared with study-level meta-analyses demonstrate consistency of D-dimer as predictor of venous thromboembolic recurrencesMaura Marcucci
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Department of Medicine, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, L8S 4K1, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 66:415-25. 2013....
- Does the clinical presentation and extent of venous thrombosis predict likelihood and type of recurrence? A patient-level meta-analysisT Baglin
Department of Haematology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Thromb Haemost 8:2436-42. 2010..To determine if the mode of presentation of venous thromboembolism (VTE), as deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or pulmonary embolism (PE), predicts the likelihood and type of recurrence...
- Does this patient have pulmonary embolism?Sanjeev D Chunilal
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 290:2849-58. 2003..Recent studies have shown that the combination of a low pretest probability (using a clinical prediction rule) and a normal result of a D-dimer test reliably excludes pulmonary embolism without the need for further testing...
- Steady-state end-tidal alveolar dead space fraction and D-dimer: bedside tests to exclude pulmonary embolismM A Rodger
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Chest 120:115-9. 2001..15, (2) a negative D-dimer result, and (3) the combination of a steady-state end-tidal AVDSf of < 0.15 and a negative D-dimer result...
- Risk of venous thromboembolism recurrence: high negative predictive value of D-dimer performed after oral anticoagulation is stoppedGualtiero Palareti
Department of Angiology, Unità Ricerca Clinica sulla Trombofilia M Golinelli, University Hospital S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Thromb Haemost 87:7-12. 2002..Only five idiopathic recurrences occurred in the 186 patients with consistently normal D-dimer. In conclusion, D-dimer has a high NPV for VTE recurrence when performed after OAT discontinuation...
- Plasma D-dimer concentrations in different clinical conditionsK ver Elst
Laboratorium Hematologie en Hemostase, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussel, Belgie
Acta Clin Belg 57:325-30. 2002..Overall, we found 64% DD positivity with a median concentration of 775 micrograms/L. We found elevated DD concentrations in various clinical conditions...
- Laboratory markers in the diagnosis of venous thromboembolismJoseph A Caprini
Department of Surgery, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Burch 104, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, Ill 60201, USA
Circulation 109:I4-8. 2004..Often, lifelong anticoagulation may be needed as these patients and family members may need testing before taking birth control pills or hormonal replacement...
- Reduced efficacy of clinical probability score and D-dimer assay in elderly subjects suspected of having deep vein thrombosisRoger E G Schutgens
Haematology, University Hospital Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 129:653-7. 2005..8 years) versus 25% in younger patients (P = 0.00005). We therefore conclude that the combined strategy of a low/moderate PCP score with a normal D-dimer test is safe for excluding DVT in all age groups, but is less useful in the elderly...
- Use of different D-dimer levels to exclude venous thromboembolism depending on clinical pretest probabilityL A Linkins
Department of Medicine, Henderson Research Center, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Thromb Haemost 2:1256-60. 2004..Use of three pretest probability-specific D-dimer cut-off points rather than a single D-dimer cut-off point for all patients, has the potential to increase the utility of D-dimer testing for the diagnosis of venous thromboembolism...
- Validity of plasma fibrinogen, D-dimer, and the von Willebrand factor as markers of cardiovascular morbidity in patients on chronic hemodialysisDimitrios Kirmizis
Department of Nephrology, Serres General Hospital, Serres, Greece
Med Sci Monit 12:CR55-62. 2006..We designed this case-control study to investigate their validity and any differences between them...
- Clinical practice. The evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolismPeter F Fedullo
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Diego, Medical Center, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037 1300, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1247-56. 2003
- Cost effective approach for emergency department investigation of deep vein thrombosisR Sinharay
Emerg Med J 21:126. 2004
- Comparison of diagnostic accuracies in outpatients and hospitalized patients of D-dimer testing for the evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolismJohn E Schrecengost
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Chem 49:1483-90. 2003..The ability of various D-dimer assays to exclude the diagnosis of thromboembolic diseases is controversial. We examined the diagnostic accuracy of two D-dimer methods in hospitalized patients and outpatients...
- D-dimer correlates with proinflammatory cytokine levels and outcomes in critically ill patientsAndrew F Shorr
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Chest 121:1262-8. 2002..To determine the relationship between d-dimer (DD) and both proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine levels, and to confirm the association between DD status and outcomes in critically ill patients...
- Excluding deep venous thrombosis in symptomatic outpatients: is fibrin monomer aid to D-dimer analysis?Violeta Dopsaj
Institute of Medical Biochemistry, Clinical Centre of Serbia, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 20:546-51. 2009....
- Comparison of four strategies for diagnosing deep vein thrombosis: a cost-effectiveness analysisN Perone
Medical Clinic 2 (NP, Department of Medicine, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Med 110:33-40. 2001..Serial ultrasonography is less cost-effective...
- Diagnostic accuracy and user-friendliness of 5 point-of-care D-dimer tests for the exclusion of deep vein thrombosisGeert Jan Geersing
University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 56:1758-66. 2010..Before implementation in practice, however, the diagnostic accuracy of each test should be validated...
- Emergency department D-dimer testingA T Sadosty
Department of Emergency Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Emerg Med 21:423-9. 2001..We conclude with a discussion of the clinical utility of D-dimer in the evaluation of patients with venous thromboembolism...
- Management of suspected deep venous thrombosis in outpatients by using clinical assessment and D-dimer testingC Kearon
McMaster University Clinic, Room 401, Henderson General Hospital, 711 Concession Street; Hamilton, Ontario L8V 1C3, Canada
Ann Intern Med 135:108-11. 2001..9% to 100%]). CONCLUSION: The combination of a low pretest probability of deep venous thrombosis and a negative result on a whole-blood D -dimer test rules out deep venous thrombosis in a large proportion of symptomatic outpatients...
- Comparing the diagnostic performance of 2 clinical decision rules to rule out deep vein thrombosis in primary care patientsEit Frits van der Velde
Department of General Practice, Vascular Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Fam Med 9:31-6. 2011..The objective was to compare the ability of both rules to safely rule out DVT and to efficiently reduce the number of referrals for leg ultrasound investigation that would result in a negative finding...
- Does this patient have deep vein thrombosis?S S Anand
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 279:1094-9. 1998..To review the validity of the clinical assessment and diagnostic tests in patients with suspected deep vein thrombosis (DVT)...
- A randomized trial of diagnostic strategies after normal proximal vein ultrasonography for suspected deep venous thrombosis: D-dimer testing compared with repeated ultrasonographyClive Kearon
McMaster University and the Henderson Research Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 142:490-6. 2005..With suspected deep venous thrombosis and normal results on proximal vein ultrasonography, a negative d-dimer result may exclude thrombosis and a positive D-dimer result may be an indication for venography...
- Accuracy of D-dimer/fibrinogen ratio to predict pulmonary embolism: a prospective diagnostic study - a rebuttalJ M Calvo-Romero
J Thromb Haemost 2:1862-3; author reply 1863-4. 2004
- Cancer-associated ischemic stroke is associated with elevated D-dimer and fibrin degradation product levels in acute ischemic stroke with advanced cancerTomoyuki Kono
Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Therapeutics, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 12:468-74. 2012..The aim of the present study was to elucidate the clinical characteristics of cancer-associated ischemic stroke...
- Locating the active site for angiogenesis and cell proliferation due to fibrin fragment E with a phage epitope display libraryC M Stirk
Department of Pathology, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Gen Pharmacol 35:261-7. 2000..Such peptide information has therapeutic potential for both stimulating and suppressing angiogenesis and cell proliferation...
- Validation, calibration, and specificity of quantitative D-dimer assaysCarl Erik Dempfle
I Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Semin Vasc Med 5:315-20. 2005..Assay technologies include manual latex agglutination assays, automated latex-enhanced light-scattering immunoassays, enzyme-linked immunoassays, and others...
- The importance of clinical probability assessment in interpreting a normal d-dimer in patients with suspected pulmonary embolismNadine S Gibson
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academical Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Chest 134:789-93. 2008..The objective of this study was to investigate how often the d-dimer test fails when clinical probability is not taken into account...
- Evaluation of soluble fibrin and D-dimer in the diagnosis of postoperative deep vein thrombosisRui Niimi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu City, Mie, Japan
Biomarkers 15:149-57. 2010..Although the SF and D-dimer tests cannot be used as stand-alone tests, SF and D-dimer are valuable screening tools. We recommend two-stage screening including first with the SF or D-dimer test, followed by ultrasonography or venography...
- Dose response of intravenous heparin on markers of thrombosis during primary total hip replacementN E Sharrock
Department of Anesthesiology, The Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Anesthesiology 90:981-7. 1999..This study assesses the effect of two doses of unfractionated intravenous heparin administered before femoral preparation during THR on circulating markers of thrombosis...
- Further validation and simplification of the Wells clinical decision rule in pulmonary embolismNadine S Gibson
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academical Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam
Thromb Haemost 99:229-34. 2008..This study further validates the diagnostic utility of the Wells rule and indicates that the scoring system can be simplified to one point for each variable...
- Implementation of a rapid whole blood D-dimer test in the emergency department of an urban academic medical center: impact on ED length of stay and ancillary test utilizationElizabeth Lee-Lewandrowski
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 132:326-31. 2009..The rapid D-dimer test was associated with a shorter ED LOS and fewer hospital admissions...
- Performance of age-adjusted D-dimer cut-off to rule out pulmonary embolismA Penaloza
Emergency Department, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Thromb Haemost 10:1291-6. 2012..Age-adjusted D-dimer cut-off has recently been proposed to increase D-dimer usefulness in older patients suspected of pulmonary embolism (PE)...
- Cut-off values of D-dimer and soluble fibrin for prediction of deep vein thrombosis after orthopaedic surgeryAkihiro Sudo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Int J Hematol 89:572-6. 2009..6 microg/ml of SF at day 1 after surgery, or less than 7.0 microg/ml of D-dimer at day 4 excluded DVT. These findings suggest that the D-dimer and SF are useful for the diagnosis and exclusion of DVT after orthopaedic surgery...
- Can D-dimer become a new diagnostic parameter for acute appendicitis?Oner Mentes
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military School of Medicine, Etlik Ankara 06018, Turkey
Am J Emerg Med 27:765-9. 2009..In this study, we investigated D-dimer serum level as a diagnostic parameter for acute appendicitis...
- The combination of four different clinical decision rules and an age-adjusted D-dimer cut-off increases the number of patients in whom acute pulmonary embolism can safely be excludedJosien van Es
Vascular Medicine, Amsterdam Medical Center, AMC F4 142 Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 107:167-71. 2012..The number of VTE failures was also comparable in all CDRs. In conclusion, irrespective of which CDR is used, the age-adjusted D-dimer substantially increases the number of patients above 50 years in whom PE can be safely excluded...
- [Parameters related to fibrinolysis and their meanings]Tetsumei Urano
Department of Physiology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Rinsho Byori 59:703-8. 2011..These assay methods are described together with underlying molecular mechanisms at each step of fibrinolytic system...
- Crystal structure of fragment double-D from human fibrin with two different bound ligandsS J Everse
Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0634, USA
Biochemistry 37:8637-42. 1998..Additionally, we have found that the beta-chain domain, like its gamma-chain counterpart, binds calcium...
- The value of D-dimer test in the diagnosis of patients with nontraumatic acute abdomenHizir Yakup Akyildiz
Department of General Surgery, Erciyes University Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 16:22-6. 2010..In these patients, it is very important to distinguish between surgical and nonsurgical pathology. Our aim was to compare the accuracy of the leukocyte count and D-dimer test in the diagnosis of acute abdomen...
- D-dimer in the early diagnosis of acute mesenteric ischemia secondary to arterial occlusion in ratsY Kurt
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Surg Res 37:216-9. 2005....
- Validation of two age dependent D-dimer cut-off values for exclusion of deep vein thrombosis in suspected elderly patients in primary care: retrospective, cross sectional, diagnostic analysisHenrike J Schouten
Julius Centre for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Centre Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Netherlands
BMJ 344:e2985. 2012..To determine whether the use of age adapted D-dimer cut-off values can be translated to primary care patients who are suspected of deep vein thrombosis...
- European and American suspected and confirmed pulmonary embolism populations: comparison and analysisA Penaloza
Emergency Department, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, France
J Thromb Haemost 10:375-81. 2012..If the prevalence of pulmonary embolism (PE) differs significantly between the US and Europe, this observation could reduce the generalizability of diagnostic protocols for PE derived in either location...
- Relation between D-dimer level, venous valvular reflux and the development of post-thrombotic syndrome after deep vein thrombosisJ Latella
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Thromb Haemost 8:2169-75. 2010..The pathophysiology of post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS) is postulated to involve persistent venous obstruction and venous valvular reflux...
- Current approach to the diagnosis of acute nonmassive pulmonary embolismLisa K Moores
Department of Medicine, The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Office for Student Affairs, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Chest 140:509-18. 2011..A completely noninvasive diagnostic algorithm for patients presenting with suspected acute pulmonary embolism is proposed...
- Inappropriate use of D-dimer assay and pulmonary CT angiography in the evaluation of suspected acute pulmonary embolismFang Yin
Good Samaritan Hospital of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Am J Med Qual 27:74-9. 2012..This result suggests that d-dimer assay and CTA are used inappropriately to evaluate patients with suspected acute PE in our ED. The low threshold for initiating an evaluation for PE decreases the prevalence of PE in this population...
- Accuracy of D-dimer/fibrinogen ratio to predict pulmonary embolism: a prospective diagnostic studyN Kucher
Cardiology, Swiss Cardiovascular Center Bern, Department of Emergency Medicine, University Hospital Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 1:708-13. 2003..D/F ratio >103 is highly specific for the presence of acute PE, and causes a doubling of the diagnostic rate compared with d-dimer testing alone...
- D-dimers and efficacy of clinical risk estimation algorithms: sensitivity in evaluation of acute pulmonary embolismRajan T Gupta
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, DUMC Box 3808, Durham, NC 27710, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:425-30. 2009..The goal of this study was to test the efficacy of clinical risk algorithms and a quantitative immunoturbidimetric D-dimer assay in the evaluation of patients undergoing pulmonary CT angiography for suspected acute pulmonary embolism...
- Comparison of general and spinal anesthesia and their influence on hemostatic markers in patients undergoing total hip arthroplastySabine Brueckner
Department of Anesthesiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Subdivision of Hemostaseology, University of Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23528 Luebeck, Germany
J Clin Anesth 15:433-40. 2003..To evaluate the profile of molecular hemostatic markers in patients receiving either spinal or balanced general anesthesia for total hip arthroplasty...
- D-dimer in venous thromboembolismPaula Bockenstedt
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1203-4. 2003
- Comparison of the diagnostic performance of three soluble fibrin monomer tests and a D-dimer assay in patients with clinically suspected deep vein thrombosis of the lower limbsAntoine Elias
Haematologica 89:499-501. 2004..Thrombosis was confirmed or excluded by complete lower-limb ultrasound. SFM assay were less accurate than VIDAS D-dimer and in patients with small thrombosis or under anticoagulation. Specificity was lower for a similar sensitivity...
- Pulmonary embolism: accuracy and safety of a negative CT pulmonary angiogram and value of a negative D-dimer assay to exclude CT pulmonary angiogram-detectable pulmonary embolismR M Subramaniam
Department of Radiology, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland, Hamilton, New Zealand
Australas Radiol 50:424-8. 2006..Negative Simplify D-dimer assay and low pretest clinical probability exclude CTPA-detectable PE, and a CTPA is unnecessary in this cohort of patients...
- D-dimer local expression is increased in symptomatic patients undergoing carotid endarterectomyJerzy Krupinski
Cardiovascular Research Center, IIBB CSIC HSCSP UAB, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Cardiol 116:174-9. 2007..We hypothesized that symptomatic patients with advanced, unstable carotid plaques have increased local intraplaque and circulating levels of fibrin-fibrinogen related products...
- Non-overt disseminated intravascular coagulation scoring for critically ill patients: the impact of antithrombin levelsMoritoki Egi
Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Thromb Haemost 101:696-705. 2009..When information on AT levels was included, non-overt DIC scoring was found to predict development of overt-DIC significantly earlier than non-overt DIC scoring without AT...
- Evaluation and management of the acutely dyspneic patient: the role of biomarkersAlex Harrison
Division of Medical Education and General Internal Medicine, Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Am J Emerg Med 23:371-8. 2005..If a PE, AMI, or CHF is determined to be the cause of dyspnea, a biomarker panel could help risk stratify and help determine initial therapies. Subsequent clinical research is needed to corroborate this postulation...
- Are fibrin-related markers useful for the diagnosis of thrombosis?Hideo Wada
Departments of Molecular and Laboratory Medicine, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Semin Thromb Hemost 34:33-8. 2008..Overall, elevated levels of FRMs indicate a high risk for thrombosis, and they are thus considered to be useful for the diagnosis of thrombosis...
- D-dimer is useful in the diagnosis of cortical venous sinus thrombosisUsha K Misra
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi PGIMS, Lucknow, India
Neurol India 57:50-4. 2009..Estimations of D-dimer correlate with deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary thromboembolism and may serve as a marker of cortical venous sinus thrombosis (CVST)...
- D-dimer, factor VIII coagulant activity, low-intensity warfarin and the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolismS Shrivastava
Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Thromb Haemost 4:1208-14. 2006..Elevated plasma D-dimer and factor VIII coagulant activity (FVIIIc) may be associated with the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism (VTE)...
- Surrogate markers for Severe Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will determine if criteria that are widely and immediately available in most hospitals can be used to risk-stratify severity of PE and to clarify the role of nonmalignant thrombophilias on the prognosis of PE. ..
- Pretest Probability Assessment for Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..In phase III, we will test the validity of the PE PREtest Consult TM and determine if the use of the PE PREtest ConsultTM will decrease unnecessary testing for PE. ..
- Expired CO2/O2 Analysis to Diagnose Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will fund a clinical study designed to test the diagnostic accuracy of a hand- held breath device that detects the altered gas exchange physiology caused by PE in post-surgical and other patients at high risk for PE. ..
- PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE AND FUNCTIONAL OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2001..They further state that the results of this study will be used to develop subsequent intervention studies designed to improve quality of life and prevent functional decline among men and women with PAD. ..
- Mechanisms of Disability in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results will be used to develop interventions designed to improve lower extremity functioning and prevent functional decline in persons with PAD. ..
- Improving Functioning in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2007..By identifying the optimal exercise program for improving functioning in PAD patients with and without IC, our findings will have substantial clinical and public health implications for millions of patients with PAD. ..
- Inflammation and Peripheral Arterial Disease OutcomesMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results will be used to develop interventions to improve functioning and prevent functional decline in PAD. ..
- BLOOD FACTORS AND PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Reducing Risk Factors in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary Mcgrae McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Magnetic Resonance in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary Mcgrae McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge, in subsequent studies, is expected to lead to new therapies for PAD-related functional impairment and functional decline. ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX-IIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) The team of investigators is strong, and has collaborated previously in successful research in PE. ..
- Prospective Investigation for Pulmonary Embolism Dx IIIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Characterization of the flexible portions of fibrinogenRussell Doolittle; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies are aimed at determining the degree of specificity involved in the assembly of fibrin units and protofibrils as well as the relative locations of the regions involved. ..
- MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH SUSPECTED PULMONARY EMBOLISHSuman Rathbun; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES ON FIBRINOGEN AND FIBRINRussell Doolittle; Fiscal Year: 2003..Combined with the full structures of the native molecules at high resolution, these results should dispel much of the mystery of fibrin formation. ..
- Pleasant Events and Moods: A Time-Series AnalysisBrent Mausbach; Fiscal Year: 2006..The remaining participants will receive no feedback. All participants will receive a one-month follow-up to determine if those receiving detailed feedback experience fewer negative emotions and more positive emotions. ..
- Antiestrogenic Effects on Tumor AngiogenesisKimberly Blackwell; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this project will have profound implications, especially as clinicians begin to use the newer estrogen receptor modulating drugs for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. ..
- UCSD Hillcrest Flow CytometerPaul Mills; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also be the centerpiece for an environment of shared ideas and collaboration among investigators who now utilize cytometry for their research. ..
- SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM REGULATION OF CELL ADHESIONPaul J Mills; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- COAGULATION ACTIVATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEKenneth I Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Thrombospondins and AtherothrombosisEdward Plow; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, these studies should provide a rigorous test of the hypothesis and extend our knowledge of the roles of the TSPs in cardiovascular biology. ..
- Association of Thrombophilia and Inflammation with Post-Thrombotic SyndromeMary Cushman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Resultant disability is estimated at 2 million lost workdays/year and medical costs as $300 million yearly. Findings here can form the basis for development of new therapies to treat, and moreover prevent,PTS. ..
- Individual Propensity to Venous ThrombosisJohn Heit; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, the incidence of VTE has remained relatively constant at about 1 per 1000 since 1980. Clearly, better methods of targeting VTE prophylaxis are needed. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- Treatment of Hyperglycemia Ischemic Stroke(THIS)TrialAskiel Bruno; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additional measurements will include vital signs, serum electrolytes, hemoglobin A-1C, and a global test for multiple clinical outcomes at 3 months. ..
- Circle of Willis variability and migraineBRETT LEE CUCCHIARA; Fiscal Year: 2010..If this hypothesis is confirmed, this could lead to new treatments based on a better understanding of migraine mechanisms and might help identify patients with migraine who are at risk of stroke. ..
- LEUKOCYTE INTEGRIN ALPHA M BETA 2Edward Plow; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CYTOKINE BALANCE IN VENOUS THROMBOSISThomas Wakefield; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Pathogenesis of SIV in African green monkeysIvona Pandrea; Fiscal Year: 2010..Combined, these aims are designed to determine the viral and/or host factors responsible for resistance to AIDS. ..
- Procoagulant Microparticles: Novel Determinants of Venous ThrombosisTHOMAS WILLIAM WAKEFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2011..Lay Summary: This proposal will determine the role of procoagulant elements termed microparticles in the etiology of venous thrombosis and their use as a diagnostic tool. ..
- MEDIATORS OF AGE ASSOCIATED OUTCOMES IN HIV INFECTIONAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..By virtue of the requested support, the applicant believes she will gain the experience and insight needed to conduct multidisciplinary interventional studies to improve outcomes for middle-aged and older people with HIV. ..
- 2004 Hemostasis Gordon Research ConferenceEdward Plow; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Hemostasis Gordon Conference has been a highly successful and enjoyable meeting, frequently identified as the best meeting attended by participants; and we believe that the current program has the potential to extend this tradition. ..
- THE STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF PLATELET GPIIB-IIIAEdward Plow; Fiscal Year: 2003..At the same time, these studies may have direct bearing on the use and future development of the GPIIb-IIIa blockers as antithrombotic agents. ..
- SAFER THROMBOLYTIC THERAPY USING PLASMINVictor Marder; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize and anticipate that plasmin will provide clinically effective thrombolysis without an increased risk of bleeding . ..
- Immune Thrombocytopenia and Low-Level Mercury ExposureJodi Segal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Segal with the necessary support for successful completion [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DISORDERED BLOOD COAGULATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEKenneth Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., is the "hypercoagulability" observed in patients with SCD a primary cause of the vasoocclusion or is it simply a secondary event that is observed in this clinical setting. ..
- Alcohol Associated Outcomes Among HIV+/-Aging VeteransAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..After completing baseline enrollment, follow up will occur at 6-month intervals and new patients will be enrolled as they present for care. ..
- Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary HypertensionTIMOTHY MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The fragments will be subjected to liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy with data-dependent MS-2 data acquisition, followed by computer-assisted sequence analysis. ..
- Manufacturing Process for Albumin-ICG Solder & Denatured Albumin ScaffoldYasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Blood conservation by reducing transfusion requirements. 4) Can be used laparoscopically for elective surgeries on liver and kidney. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pretest probability assesment and D-dimer testing for pulmonary embolismD Courtney; Fiscal Year: 2008..He has significant experience in mentoring junior investigators and an emphasis in disease detection and outcome prediction to ensure development of the PI toward that of an independently funded investigator. ..
- CONTROL OF FIBRIN TURNOVER IN PLEURAL DISEASESteven Idell; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work could identify better, clinically feasible therapeutic approaches to prevent pleural fibrosis. ..