Genomes and Genes
Summary: Chloro(7,12-diethenyl-3,8,13,17-tetramethyl-21H,23H-porphine-2,18-dipropanoato(4-)-N(21),N(22),N(23),N(24)) ferrate(2-) dihydrogen.
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Hemolysis and free hemoglobin revisited: exploring hemoglobin and hemin scavengers as a novel class of therapeutic proteinsDominik J Schaer
Division of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Blood 121:1276-84. 2013..Hb, translocation of the molecule into the extravascular space, oxidative and nitric oxide reactions, hemin release, and molecular signaling effects of hemin appear to be the most critical...
- Hemin upregulates Egr-1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells via reactive oxygen species ERK-1/2-Elk-1 and NF-kappaBRukhsana N Hasan
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Circ Res 102:42-50. 2008..b>Hemin increased Egr-1 expression (mRNA, protein) within 30 minutes and ERK-1/2 phosphorylation and nuclear translocation ..
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 in vivo suppresses NADPH oxidase derived oxidative stressSrinivasa R Datla
Bernard O Brien Institute of Microsurgery, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hypertension 50:636-42. 2007..In this study, we examined the consequence of HO-1 induction in vivo on NADPH oxidase activity. Three doses of hemin (25 mg x kg(-1), IP, every 48 hours), with or without cotreatment with the HO inhibitor tin protoporphyrin-IX (15 ..
- Hemin-dependent modulation of the lipid A structure of Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharideMontaser N Al-Qutub
Department of Periodontics, University of Washington, Box 357444, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Infect Immun 74:4474-85. 2006..In this report, it is shown that the concentration of hemin in the growth medium significantly modulates the lipopolysaccharide lipid A structural content of P. gingivalis...
- The heme oxygenase system selectively enhances the anti-inflammatory macrophage-M2 phenotype, reduces pericardial adiposity, and ameliorated cardiac injury in diabetic cardiomyopathy in Zucker diabetic fatty ratsAshok Jadhav
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 345:239-49. 2013..We investigated the effects of the heme oxygenase (HO) inducer, hemin on pericardial adiposity, macrophage polarization, and diabetic cardiopathy in Zucker diabetic fatty rats (ZDFs) ..
- PI3K is a key molecule in the Nrf2-mediated regulation of antioxidative proteins by hemin in human neuroblastoma cellsKazuhiro Nakaso
Department of Neurology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 36 1, Nishimachi, Yonago 683 8504, Japan
FEBS Lett 546:181-4. 2003..To clarify this mechanism, we investigated hemin-related signal transduction and the induction of oxidative stress-related proteins in SH-SY5Y cells...
- Free heme toxicity and its detoxification systems in humanSanjay Kumar
Division of Drug Target Discovery and Development, Central Drug Research Institute, Chatter Manzil Palace, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Toxicol Lett 157:175-88. 2005..A brief account of free heme toxicity and its detoxification systems along with mechanistic details are presented...
- Sulforaphane protects immature hippocampal neurons against death caused by exposure to hemin or to oxygen and glucose deprivationLucian Soane
Department of Anesthesiology, Center for Shock, Trauma, and Anesthesiology Research STAR, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Neurosci Res 88:1355-63. 2010..was tested with primary mouse hippocampal neurons exposed to either O(2) and glucose deprivation (OGD) or hemin. Treatment of immature neurons with SFP immediately after the OGD during reoxygenation was effective in protecting ..
- Robust erythrophagocytosis leads to macrophage apoptosis via a hemin-mediated redox imbalance: role in hemolytic disordersMathieu Cambos
Department of Biological Sciences, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Leukoc Biol 89:159-71. 2011....
- The heme oxygenase/carbon monoxide system is involved in the auxin-induced cucumber adventitious rooting processWei Xuan
College of Life Sciences, Cooperative Demonstration Laboratory of Centrifuge Technique, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China
Plant Physiol 148:881-93. 2008....
- Differential induction of heme oxygenase-1 in macrophages and hepatocytes during acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in the rat: effects of hemin and biliverdinHawjyh Chiu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 8020, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 181:106-15. 2002..To determine if HO-1 was hepatoprotective, rats were pretreated with hemin (30 micromol/kg, ip), a potent inducer of the enzyme...
- Sustained normalization of high blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats by implanted hemin pumpRui Wang
Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hypertension 48:685-92. 2006..of heme oxygenase (HO) to lower blood pressure (BP) of spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs), we administered hemin to 12-week-old adult SHRs through subcutaneously implanted osmotic minipumps for 3 consecutive weeks (the hemin ..
- The heme oxygenase system abates hyperglycemia in Zucker diabetic fatty rats by potentiating insulin-sensitizing pathwaysJoseph Fomusi Ndisang
Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 5E5
Endocrinology 150:2098-108. 2009..Here we report an enduring antidiabetic effect of the HO inducer, hemin, on Zucker diabetic-fatty rat (ZDF), a model of insulin-resistant T2D...
- Crystal structural analysis of human serum albumin complexed with hemin and fatty acidPatricia A Zunszain
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, Room 746 Huxley Building, South Kensington Campus, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
BMC Struct Biol 3:6. 2003..plasma protein that binds a wide variety of hydrophobic ligands including fatty acids, bilirubin, thyroxine and hemin. Although HSA-heme complexes do not bind oxygen reversibly, it may be possible to develop modified HSA proteins or ..
- Neutrophil activation by heme: implications for inflammatory processesAurelio V Graca-Souza
Departamento de Farmacologia, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Blood 99:4160-5. 2002..We investigated here the role of free ferriprotoporphyrin IX (hemin) as a proinflammatory molecule, with particular attention to its ability to activate neutrophil responses...
- Hemin-graphene hybrid nanosheets with intrinsic peroxidase-like activity for label-free colorimetric detection of single-nucleotide polymorphismYujing Guo
State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, China
ACS Nano 5:1282-90. 2011This paper demonstrated for the first time a simple wet-chemical strategy for synthesizing hemin-graphene hybrid nanosheets (H-GNs) through the π-π interactions...
- The atomic structure of human methemalbumin at 1.9 AMark Wardell
New Century Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 895 Martin Road, Huntsville, Alabama 35824, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:813-9. 2002..A detailed discussion of the structure together with its implications for the development of potential blood substitutes is presented...
- Hemin causes mitochondrial dysfunction in endothelial cells through promoting lipid peroxidation: the protective role of autophagyAshlee N Higdon
Department of Pathology, Center for Free Radical Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 302:H1394-409. 2012..To test this, we used bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAEC) in culture and exposed them to hemin. Hemin led to mitochondrial dysfunction, activation of autophagy, mitophagy, and, at high concentrations, ..
- Hemin potentiates the anti-hepatitis C virus activity of the antimalarial drug artemisininJan Paeshuyse
Rega Institute for Medical Research, Minderbroedersstraat 10, KU Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 348:139-44. 2006..b>Hemin, an iron donor, was recently reported to inhibit HCV replicon replication [mediated by inhibition of the viral ..
- The metabolism and toxicity of hemin in astrocytesTheresa N Dang
Blood Brain Interactions Group, School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Glia 59:1540-50. 2011b>Hemin is cytotoxic, and contributes to the brain damage that accompanies hemorrhagic stroke...
- General peroxidase activity of G-quadruplex-hemin complexes and its application in ligand screeningXiaohong Cheng
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Biochemistry 48:7817-23. 2009..Here we report the general peroxidase activity of G-quadruplex-hemin complexes and discuss the connection between peroxidase activity and G-quadruplex structures...
- Upregulating the heme oxygenase system suppresses left ventricular hypertrophy in adult spontaneously hypertensive rats for 3 monthsJoseph Fomusi Ndisang
Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
J Card Fail 15:616-28. 2009..The multifaceted interaction between HO-1 and aldosterone-PLC profibrotic axis in cardiac hypertrophy of spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) was studied...
- Heme-oxygenase-1 induction and carbon monoxide-releasing molecule inhibit lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced high-mobility group box 1 release in vitro and improve survival of mice in LPS- and cecal ligation and puncture-induced sepsis model in vivoKonstantin Tsoyi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Republic of Korea
Mol Pharmacol 76:173-82. 2009..We found that pretreatment with HO-1 inducers (hemin, cobalt protoporphyrin IX) or transfection of HO-1 significantly inhibited HMGB1 release, which was blocked by HO-..
- Nuclear translocation of haeme oxygenase-1 is associated to prostate cancerP Sacca
Instituto de Biologia y Medicina Experimental, CONICET, Vuelta de Obligado 2490, Buenos Aires 1428, Argentina
Br J Cancer 97:1683-9. 2007..Treatment with hemin, a well-known specific inducer of HO-1, led to clear nuclear localisation of HO-1 in both cell lines and highly ..
- Hemin-induced necroptosis involves glutathione depletion in mouse astrocytesMelissa D Laird
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 45:1103-14. 2008..In this study, the hemoglobin oxidation by-product, hemin, concentration dependently induced necroptotic cell death in cortical astrocytes within 5 h of treatment...
- Heme as key regulator of major mammalian cellular functions: molecular, cellular, and pharmacological aspectsAsterios S Tsiftsoglou
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki A U TH, Thessaloniki GR54124, Macedonia, Greece
Pharmacol Ther 111:327-45. 2006..b>Hemin (the oxidized form of iron protoporphyrin IX) on the other hand is an essential regulator of gene expression and ..
- Synthetic Plasmodium-like hemozoin activates the immune response: a morphology - function studyMaritza Jaramillo
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Centre for the Study of Host Resistance, Departments of Medicine, Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6957. 2009..Periodic quality control experiments and unification of the method of HZ synthesis are key steps to unravel the role of HZ in malaria immunopathology...
- Upregulation of heme oxygenase-1 and p21 confers resistance to apoptosis in human gastric cancer cellsZhi Min Liu
Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Oncogene 23:503-13. 2004..The cells were treated with hemin and cadmium to induce HO-1...
- First-in-human study demonstrating pharmacological activation of heme oxygenase-1 in humansA E Bharucha
Enteric Neurosciences Program, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 87:187-90. 2010..In this randomized study of 10 healthy volunteers, hemin (3 mg/kg intravenously in 25% albumin) was shown to increase plasma HO-1 protein concentration four- to fivefold ..
- Protective role of heme oxygenase-1 in oxidative stress-induced neuronal injuryW D Le
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosci Res 56:652-8. 1999..In contrast, pretreatment with hemin, an HO-1 inducer, increased the expression of HO-1 and decreased the beta-AP1-40- and H2O2-induced cytotoxicity...
- Transport of haemin across the cytoplasmic membrane through a haemin-specific periplasmic binding-protein-dependent transport system in Yersinia enterocoliticaI Stojiljkovic
Lehrstuhl für Mikrobiologie II, Tubingen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 13:719-32. 1994..We propose a model of haemin utilization in Y. enterocolitica in which HemT, HemU and HemV proteins transport haemin into the cytoplasm where it is degraded by HemS thereby liberating the iron...
- Hemin modulates cytokine expressions in macrophage-derived foam cells via heme oxygenase-1 inductionJian Li Ma
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
J Pharmacol Sci 103:261-6. 2007..We used hemin (HO-1 activator) and zinc protoporphyrin IX (ZnPP IX, HO-1 inhibitor) to determine the effect of HO-1 on the ..
- Upregulation of heme oxygenase-1 inhibits the maturation and mineralization of osteoblastsTzu Hung Lin
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Cell Physiol 222:757-68. 2010..We here used adenoviral vector expressing recombinant human HO-1 and HO-1 inducer hemin to study the effects of HO-1 in primary cultured osteoblasts...
- Hemin-H2O2-NO2(-) induced protein oxidation and tyrosine nitration are different from those of SIN-1: a study on glutamate dehydrogenase nitrative/oxidative modificationYan Zhang
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, PR China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:907-15. 2009..of protein by reactive nitrogen oxide species, which are mainly produced by peroxynitrite and heme peroxidases (hemin)-H(2)O(2)-NO(2)(-) system...
- Hemin, a heme oxygenase substrate analog, inhibits the cell surface expression of CD11b and CD66b on human neutrophilsJ A Andersson
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
Allergy 57:718-22. 2002..Increased CO production has been demonstrated during airway inflammation and CO as well as hemin, a substrate for CO producing enzymes, has been shown to affect neutrophil migration...
- VLA-5-mediated adhesion to fibronectin accelerates hemin-stimulated erythroid differentiation of K562 cells through induction of VLA-4 expressionRika Tanaka
Department of Molecular Patho Physiology, Tokyo University of Science, Noda shi, Chiba, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:19817-25. 2009..Erythroid differentiation could be induced in K562 cells in suspension by stimulating with hemin. This hemin-stimulated erythroid differentiation was highly accelerated when cells were induced to adhere to ..
- Interaction among heme oxygenase, nuclear factor-kappaB, and transcription activating factors in cardiac hypertrophy in hypertensionAshok Jadhav
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hypertension 52:910-7. 2008..b>Hemin therapy normalized systolic blood pressure and markedly reduced the left:right ventricular ratio, left ventricular ..
- Hemin-induced suicidal erythrocyte deathSergios Gatidis
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Ann Hematol 88:721-6. 2009Several diseases, such as malaria, sickle cell disease, and ischemia/reperfusion may cause excessive formation of hemin, which may in turn trigger hemolysis...
- Function, regulation, and transcriptional organization of the hemin utilization locus of Bartonella quintanaNermi L Parrow
Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana, 32 Campus Drive, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
Infect Immun 77:307-16. 2009..B. quintana has the highest known hemin requirement among bacteria, but the mechanisms of hemin acquisition are poorly defined...
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 and stimulation of cGMP production by hemin in aortic tissues from hypertensive ratsJoseph Fomusi Ndisang
Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Blood 101:3893-900. 2003..The mechanisms for this selective effect are largely unknown. We investigated the effects of HO-1 inducer, hemin, on the HO/CO-soluble gyanylyl cyclase (sGC)/cGMP system in the aorta of prehypertensive (4-week-old) young and ..
- Protective effects of hemin pretreatment combined with ulinastatin on septic shock in ratsJian Bo Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Tianjin Nankai Hospital, Tianjin 300100, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:49-55. 2008..However, it is unknown if a combined hemin and ulinastatin pretreatment could result in protective effects for septic shock...
- Hemin, a heme oxygenase-1 inducer, improves aortic endothelial dysfunction in insulin resistant ratsYong song Chen
Department of Endocrinology, First Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong 515041, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:241-7. 2008..This study aimed to investigate the effects of HO-1 on vascular function of thoracic aorta in IR rats and demonstrate the probable mechanisms of HO-1 against endothelial dysfunction in IR states...
- Peroxidase activity-structure relationship of the intermolecular four-stranded G-quadruplex-hemin complexes and their application in Hg2+ ion detectionDe Ming Kong
Key Laboratory of Functional Polymer Materials, Ministry of Education, Nankai University, Tianjin, PR China
Talanta 80:459-65. 2009The peroxidase activities of the complexes of hemin and intermolecular four-stranded G-quadruplexes formed by short-stranded X(n)G(m)X(p) sequences (X=A, T or C), especially T(n)G(m)T(p) sequences, were compared...
- The anti-inflammatory mechanism of heme oxygenase-1 induced by hemin in primary rat alveolar macrophagesChen Hualin
Jiangsu Province Institute of Anesthesiology, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou, Jiangsu 221002, China
Inflammation 35:1087-93. 2012..In this study, AMs were treated with saline, LPS (1 μg/ml), hemin (10 μM), zinc protoporphyrin (ZnPP; 10 μM, 1 h prior to LPS and hemin), SB203580 (10 μM, 1 h prior to LPS ..
- Thrombin and hemin as central factors in the mechanisms of intracerebral hemorrhage-induced secondary brain injury and as potential targets for interventionRanjith Babu
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Neurosurg Focus 32:E8. 2012..This review will discuss the molecular mechanisms of brain injury as a result of intraparenchymal blood, potential targets for therapeutic intervention, and treatment strategies currently in development...
- BnHO1, a haem oxygenase-1 gene from Brassica napus, is required for salinity and osmotic stress-induced lateral root formationZeyu Cao
College of Life Sciences, Cooperative Demonstration Laboratory of Centrifuge Technique, Nanjing Agricultural University and Beckman Coulter Ltd Co, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, China
J Exp Bot 62:4675-89. 2011..Taken together, these results suggested a novel role of the rapeseed HO-1 gene in salinity and osmotic stress-induced LR formation, with a possible interaction with auxin signalling...
- Burkholderia pseudomallei known siderophores and hemin uptake are dispensable for lethal murine melioidosisBrian H Kvitko
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Rocky Mountain Regional Center of Excellence for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases Research, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1715. 2012..Deletion of the two hemin uptake loci, hmu and hem, showed that Hmu is required for utilization of hemin and hemoglobin and that Hem cannot ..
- Hemin-functionalized reduced graphene oxide nanosheets reveal peroxynitrite reduction and isomerization activityAmit A Vernekar
Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012, India
Chemistry 18:15122-32. 2012..This method can be considered for large scale production of good quality RGO. Treatment of RGO with hemin afforded a functional hemin-reduced graphene oxide (H-RGO) hybrid material that exhibited remarkable protective ..
- Uptake, metabolism and toxicity of hemin in cultured neuronsTheresa N Dang
Blood Brain Interactions Group, School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Neurochem Int 58:804-11. 2011Following hemorrhagic stroke, red blood cells lyse and release neurotoxic hemin into the interstitial space. The present study investigates whether neurons can accumulate and metabolize hemin...
- Transcriptome analysis of renal ischemia/reperfusion injury and its modulation by ischemic pre-conditioning or hemin treatmentMatheus Corrêa-Costa
Laboratory of Transplantation Immunobiology, Department of Immunology, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo USP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
PLoS ONE 7:e49569. 2012..molecular mechanisms involved in renal IRI and counter protection promoted by ischemic pre-conditioning (IPC) or Hemin treatment is an important milestone that needs to be accomplished in this research area...
- Hemin binds to human cytoplasmic arginyl-tRNA synthetase and inhibits its catalytic activityFang Yang
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
J Biol Chem 285:39437-46. 2010..We investigated the effect of hemin on hcArgRS based on the fact that hemin regulates several critical proteins in the "N-end rule" protein ..
- Role of hemin in the modulation of H2O2-mediated endothelial cell injuryStephen J Wilson
Department of Pharmacology, Conway Institute of Biomedical and Biomolecular Research, University College Dublin, Belfield, Ireland
Vascul Pharmacol 40:109-18. 2003..This study used an in vitro model of endothelial permeability to determine the effects of the HO-1-inducing agent hemin on noncytotoxic endothelial injury mediated by acute oxidant stress...
- Hemin-dependent growth and hemin binding of Bartonella henselaeA Sander
Abteilung Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Klinikum der Universität Freiburg, Hermann Herder Str 11, D 79104, Freiburg, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Lett 189:55-9. 2000..henselae cannot synthesize heme itself. Hemin supported growth even when free iron was chelated, indicating that hemin is also used as an iron source...
- Heme oxygenase-1 and the ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat heartEmanuela Masini
Departments of Preclinical and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Florence, 50139, Florence, Italy
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 228:546-9. 2003..p.) with saline. The second group underwent FIR. The third group was treated ip 18 hr before FIR with hemin (4 mg/kg)...
- Influence of heme oxygenase-1 on microcirculation after kidney transplantationJens Peter Hölzen
Surgical Research, Department of General Surgery, Munster University Hospital, Munster, Germany
J Surg Res 148:126-35. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the impact of heme oxygenase-1 on microcirculation and on ischemia-reperfusion injury in an isogenic kidney transplantation rat model...
- Molecular characterization of the hemin uptake locus (hmu) from Yersinia pestis and analysis of hmu mutants for hemin and hemoprotein utilizationJ M Thompson
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0084, USA
Infect Immun 67:3879-92. 1999Sequence analysis of the hemin uptake locus (hmu) of Yersinia pestis revealed five genes, hmuRSTUV, required for use of hemin and hemoproteins as iron sources...
- Participation of heme oxygenase-1 in a model of acute inflammationAna María Vicente
Department of Pharmacology, University of Valencia, 46100 Burjasot, Valencia, Spain
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 228:514-6. 2003..b>Hemin administration into the air pouch caused an elevation of HO-1 protein and bilirubin levels induced by zymosan with ..
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 protects against nutritional fibrosing steatohepatitis in miceRong Qi Wang
Department of Traditional and Western Medical Hepatology, Third Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, China
Lipids Health Dis 10:31. 2011..However, its role on liver fibrosis remains unclear. This study aims to elucidate the effect and the mechanism of HO-1 in nutritional fibrosing steatohepatitis in mice...
- Hemin inhibits cyclin D1 and IGF-1 expression via STAT5b under hypoxia in ERalpha-negative MDA-MB 231 breast cancer cellsEun Joung Lim
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, and Institute of Biomedical Science and Technology, Konkuk University, Seoul 143 701, Korea
Int J Oncol 36:1243-51. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the molecular mechanism by which hemin exerts its inhibitory effects on aggressive breast cancer cells...
- Hemin binding, functional expression, and complementation analysis of Pap 31 from Bartonella henselaeRainer Zimmermann
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Bacteriol 185:1739-44. 2003..At least five outer membrane-associated proteins from B. henselae bind hemin, including the 31-kDa protein designated Pap31...
- Hemin decreases cardiac oxidative stress and fibrosis in a rat model of systemic hypertension via PI3K/Akt signallingMorel Elvis Worou
LABPART EA3852, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Francois Rabelais, Tours, France
Cardiovasc Res 91:320-9. 2011..The aim of this work was to assess the impact of hemin (heme oxygenase-1 inducer) on NADPH oxidase activation, cardiac oxidative stress, and development of fibrosis in a ..
- Anti-inflammatory and antihyperalgesic effects of the combination of ibuprofen and hemin in adjuvant-induced arthritis in the Wistar ratShamsherjit Kaur
Department of Pharmacology, ISF College of Pharmacy, Moga, 142001, Punjab, India
Inflammopharmacology 19:265-72. 2011..The present study was designed to investigate the anti-inflammatory and antihyperalgesic effects of the prophylactic use of hemin alone and/or in combination with ibuprofen using adjuvant-induced arthritis in Wistar rat.
- Hemin-binding surface protein from Bartonella quintanaJ A Carroll
Microscopy Branch, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA
Infect Immun 68:6750-7. 2000..trench fever and a cause of endocarditis and bacillary angiomatosis in humans, has the highest reported in vitro hemin requirement for any bacterium. We determined that eight membrane-associated proteins from B...
- Human heme oxygenase cDNA and induction of its mRNA by heminT Yoshida
Friedrich Miescher Institut, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 171:457-61. 1988b>Hemin treatment increased both activity and mRNA level of heme oxygenase in human macrophages. Using poly(A)-rich RNA prepared from human macrophages treated with hemin, we have constructed a cDNA library in the Okayama-Berg vector...
- CdSe/ZnS quantum dots-G-quadruplex/hemin hybrids as optical DNA sensors and aptasensorsEtery Sharon
Institute of Chemistry, The Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Anal Chem 82:7073-7. 2010The luminescence of CdSe/ZnS QDs is quenched via electron transfer by hemin/G-quadruplex associated with the particles...
- Kinetic and spectroscopic studies of hemin acquisition in the hemophore HasAp from Pseudomonas aeruginosaErik T Yukl
Department of Science and Engineering, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 20000 Northwest Walker Road, Beaverton, Oregon 97006 8921, USA
Biochemistry 49:6646-54. 2010..The binding of free hemin is characterized by an initial rapid phase forming an intermediate before further conversion to the final complex...
- Molecular cloning, characterization, and expression of an alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) heme oxygenase-1 gene, MsHO1, which is pro-oxidants-regulatedGuang Qing Fu
College of Life Sciences, Cooperative Demonstration Laboratory of Centrifuge Technique, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, PR China
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:792-9. 2011..78 nmol biliverdin-IXα (BV) h⁻¹ nmol⁻¹ protein with an apparent Km value for hemin of 2.33 μM, and the optimum Tm and pH were 37 °C and 7.2, respectively...
- Utilization and cell-surface binding of hemin by Histoplasma capsulatumLisa Anne Agiato Foster
Biology Department, Trinity College, Hartford, CT 06109, USA
Can J Microbiol 48:437-42. 2002..However, iron is also present as hemin in the intracellular environment of the macrophage and may serve as a major source of iron during infection...
- Brain edema after experimental intracerebral hemorrhage: role of hemoglobin degradation productsFeng ping Huang
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0532, USA
J Neurosurg 96:287-93. 2002..The authors have found that red blood cell lysis plays an important role in edema development after ICH. In the present study, they sought to determine whether degradation products of hemoglobin cause brain edema...
- Hemin and magnesium-protoporphyrin IX induce global changes in gene expression in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiBjörn Voss
Faculty of Biology, Institute of Biology III, University of Freiburg, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Plant Physiol 155:892-905. 2011..This and the transient nature of changes in gene expression suggest a signaling role of both tetrapyrroles as secondary messengers for adaptive responses affecting the entire cell and not only organellar proteins...
- Leptospira spp. possess a complete haem biosynthetic pathway and are able to use exogenous haem sourcesRozenn Guégan
Unité de bactériologie moléculaire et médicale, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 49:745-54. 2003..This may have implications in a better understanding of the pathogenesis of Leptospira...
- Hemin-induced activation of the thioredoxin gene by Nrf2. A differential regulation of the antioxidant responsive element by a switch of its binding factorsY C Kim
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin, Kawahara-cho, Sakyo, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:18399-406. 2001..Here, we have demonstrated that thioredoxin expression is transcriptionally induced in K562 cells by hemin (ferriprotoporphyrin IX) through activation of a regulatory region positioned from -452 to -420 bp of the ..
- Direct hemin transfer from IsdA to IsdC in the iron-regulated surface determinant (Isd) heme acquisition system of Staphylococcus aureusMengyao Liu
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59718, USA
J Biol Chem 283:6668-76. 2008..Here we report hemin transfer from hemin-containing IsdA (holo-IsdA) to hemin-free IsdC (apo-IsdC)...
- Genetic and phenotypic identification of fusidic acid-resistant mutants with the small-colony-variant phenotype in Staphylococcus aureusTobias Norström
Programme for Microbiology, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Box 596, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4438-46. 2007..FusA-SCVs are auxotrophic for hemin. A second class of FA-resistant SCVs carry mutations in rplF, coding for ribosomal protein L6, and are designated ..
- Up-regulating the heme oxygenase system with hemin improves insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in adult spontaneously hypertensive ratsJoseph Fomusi Ndisang
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Endocrinology 151:549-60. 2010..Here we report the effects of the HO inducer, hemin, and the HO blocker, chromium-mesoporphyrin on insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in SHRs...
- Hemin toxicity: a preventable source of brain damage following hemorrhagic strokeStephen R Robinson
School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Redox Rep 14:228-35. 2009..This secondary damage is partly due to the toxic effects of hemin, a breakdown product of hemoglobin...
- Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide production by flavonoids in RAW264.7 macrophages involves heme oxygenase-1Hui Yi Lin
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan ROC
Biochem Pharmacol 66:1821-32. 2003..b>Hemin induced HO-1 protein expression and this was associated with the suppression of LPS-induced NO production and iNOS ..
- Chemiluminescent and chemiluminescence resonance energy transfer (CRET) detection of DNA, metal ions, and aptamer-substrate complexes using hemin/G-quadruplexes and CdSe/ZnS quantum dotsRonit Freeman
Institute of Chemistry, Center of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
J Am Chem Soc 133:11597-604. 2011..against ATP or sequences recognizing Hg(2+) ions self-assemble, in the presence of ATP or Hg(2+), into the active hemin-G-quadruplex DNAzyme structure...
- Critical role of endogenous heme oxygenase 1 as a tuner of the invasive potential of prostate cancer cellsGeraldine Gueron
Department of Biological Chemistry, School of Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mol Cancer Res 7:1745-55. 2009..Our results show that HO-1 levels are markedly decreased in PC3 compared with MDA PCa2b and LNCaP. Hemin treatment increased HO-1 at both protein and mRNA levels in all cell lines and decreased cell proliferation and ..
- Hemin-activated macrophages home to the pancreas and protect from acute pancreatitis via heme oxygenase-1 inductionIkuo Nakamichi
Department of Medicine, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Clin Invest 115:3007-14. 2005b>Hemin upregulates heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), a stress-induced enzyme implicated in protection from a variety of injuries while its related isoform HO-2 is constitutively expressed...
- Heme activates artemisinin more efficiently than hemin, inorganic iron, or hemoglobinShiming Zhang
Weis Center for Research, Geisinger Clinic, Danville, PA 17822, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 16:7853-61. 2008..Heme reacted with artemisinin much more efficiently than the other iron-containing molecules, supporting the role of redox active heme as the primary activator of artemisinin...
- Characterisation of synthetic beta-haematin and effects of the antimalarial drugs quinidine, halofantrine, desbutylhalofantrine and mefloquine on its formationT J Egan
Department of Chemistry, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa
J Inorg Biochem 73:101-7. 1999..29 +/- 0.02 and 5.15 +/- 0.02 respectively (solutions containing 30% acetonitrile in addition to DMSO to solubilise these drugs), which are both stronger than chloroquine under the same conditions (log K = 4.56 +/- 0.02)...
- Artemisinin antimalarials do not inhibit hemozoin formationRichard K Haynes
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1175. 2003
- His64(E7)-->Tyr apomyoglobin as a reagent for measuring rates of hemin dissociationM S Hargrove
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251 1892
J Biol Chem 269:4207-14. 1994To develop an assay for hemin dissociation, His64(E7) was replaced by Tyr in sperm whale myoglobin producing a holoprotein with a distinct green color due to an intense absorption band at 600 nm...
- 8-Aminoquinolines active against blood stage Plasmodium falciparum in vitro inhibit hematin polymerizationJ L Vennerstrom
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 6025
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:598-602. 1999....
- Heme oxygenase-1 inducer hemin attenuates the progression of remnant kidney modelNicolas Desbuards
LABPART, EA 3852, IFR135, Universite Francois Rabelais, FR 37032 Tours, France
Nephron Exp Nephrol 113:e35-44. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of a treatment with the HO-1 inducer hemin on the progression of chronic kidney disease in nephrectomized rats versus the AT1 receptor antagonist losartan.
- The putative heme transporter HCP1 is expressed in cultured astrocytes and contributes to the uptake of heminTheresa N Dang
School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychological Medicine, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Glia 58:55-65. 2010b>Hemin, which is toxic to brain cells, has been reported to be taken up by cultured astrocytes; however, the mechanism of uptake is currently unknown...
- Heme oxygenase-1 protects rat kidney from ureteral obstruction via an antiapoptotic pathwayJin Hyun Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University, Chilam dong 92, Jinju, Gyeongnam 660 751, Republic of Korea
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1373-81. 2006..which unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) was performed: untreated (group 1), treated with 30 mg/kg body wt hemin (group 2), and treated with 50 microg/kg body wt zinc (alpha) protoporphyrin eta (ZnPP) and 30 mg/kg hemin (group ..
- Hemin activation ameliorates HIV-1 infection via heme oxygenase-1 inductionKrishnakumar Devadas
Immunopathogenesis Section, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Division of Emerging and Transfusion Transmitted Diseases, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Immunol 176:4252-7. 2006b>Hemin, a critical component of hemoglobin, is an active ingredient of a biologic therapeutic approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of acute porphyries...
- Inhibitory effect of ursolic acid derivatives on hydrogen peroxide- and glutathione-mediated degradation of hemin: a possible additional mechanism of action for antimalarial activityCatherine Mullié
Laboratoire des Glucides UMR CNRS 6219, Faculte de Pharmacie, rue des Louvels, Amienx Cedex 1, France
Exp Parasitol 125:202-7. 2010..here the results of additional pathways that may explain their in vitro cytocidal activity such as inhibition of hemin degradation by H(2)O(2) or glutathione (GSH)...
- Identification of an iron-regulated hemin-binding outer membrane protein, HupO, in Vibrio fluvialis: effects on hemolytic activity and the oxidative stress responseSun Hee Ahn
Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Pukyong National University, Busan 608 737, Republic of Korea
Infect Immun 73:722-9. 2005..To characterize the hemin-binding activity of HupO, we purified the recombinant HupO protein (rHupO) from Escherichia coli by using an ..
- Chemiluminescence and chemiluminescence resonance energy transfer (CRET) aptamer sensors using catalytic hemin/G-quadruplexesXiaoqing Liu
Institute of Chemistry, Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
ACS Nano 5:7648-55. 2011The incorporation of hemin into the thrombin/G-quadruplex aptamer assembly or into the ATP/G-quadruplex nanostructure yields active DNAzymes that catalyze the generation of chemiluminescence...
- Characterization of the hemin-sensitive eukaryotic initiation factor 2alpha kinase from mouse nonerythroid cellsJ J Berlanga
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Canto Blanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 273:32340-6. 1998..mHRI exhibited an autokinase and an eIF2alpha kinase activity, and both activities were inhibited in vitro by hemin. In addition, wild-type mHRI, but not the inactive mHRI-K196R mutant, was autophosphorylated in vivo when it was ..
- Lighting up biochemiluminescence by the surface self-assembly of DNA-hemin complexesYi Xiao
Institute of Chemistry and the Farkas Center for Light Induced Processes, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Chembiochem 5:374-9. 2004
- Virulence of a hemB mutant displaying the phenotype of a Staphylococcus aureus small colony variant in a murine model of septic arthritisIng Marie Jonsson
Department of Rheumatology, University of Goteborg, Guldhedsgatan 10A, S 413 46 Goteborg, Sweden
Microb Pathog 34:73-9. 2003..SCVs are frequently auxotrophic for menadione or hemin, two compounds involved in the biosynthesis of the electron transport chain...
- Heme-induced heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) in human monocytes inhibits apoptosis despite caspase-3 up-regulationDetlef Lang
Department of Medicine D, University of Muenster, Germany
Int Immunol 17:155-65. 2005..We studied the effects of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) induced by its substrate hemin on apoptosis, caspase-3 expression and the differentiation of freshly isolated human monocytes...
- Astrocyte-derived glutathione attenuates hemin-induced apoptosis in cerebral microvascular cellsSangeetha Sukumari-Ramesh
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Glia 58:1858-70. 2010..b>Hemin, a hemoglobin by-product, concentration- and time-dependently increased apoptotic cell death in mouse bEnd...
- Interactions of hemin with model erythrocyte membranesYasser Qutub
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 4004, USA
J Phys Chem B 114:4529-35. 2010To address the interactions of hemin with phospholipid bilayers, we introduce hemin to a solution of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC), a long chain phospholipid, and 3-(cholamidopropyl)(dimethylammonio)-2-hydroxy-1-propanesulfonate (..
- Hemin inhibits virion-associated reverse transcriptase of murine leukemia virusK Tsutsui
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 149:628-34. 1987..reverse transcriptase activity of Rauscher murine leukemia virus was inhibited by freshly prepared hemin at a concentration of 10(-4) M...
- Hemopexin decreases hemin accumulation and catabolism by neural cellsJing Chen-Roetling
Department of Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, 1025 Walnut Street, College Building Room 813, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Neurochem Int 60:488-94. 2012..In this study, the effect of hemopexin on the rate of hemin breakdown by CNS cells was investigated in established in vitro models...
- Pentacoordinate hemin derivatives in sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles: model systems for the assignment of the fifth ligand in ferric heme proteinsA Boffi
CNR Centro di Biologia Molecolare, c o Dipartimento di Scienze Biochimiche, Universita La Sapienza, 00185 Rome, Italy
Biophys J 77:1143-9. 1999..This difference is in line with the assignment of hydroxyl as the fifth coordination ligand to free hemin in SDS micelles, as demonstrated by the isotopic shift of the frequency of Fe-OH bond with H(2)(18)O...
- Hemin Receptor Gene Family of Bartonella quintanaMICHAEL MINNICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..Despite these remarkable attributes, little is known about the molecular pathogenesis of Bartonella. Because hemin is an essential growth factor for all Bartonella species and B...
- Mechanisms of endothelial barrier phenotypes in sickle cell diseaseSOLOMON FIIFI OFORI-ACQUAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..To understand why the response to excess plasma free hemin was so severe, we examined the lung for expression of the acute phase enzyme heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), which is ..
- Plague biofilm formation--regulation and functionROBERT DONALD PERRY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Blockage of the proventriculus may extend the transmission time. The hemin-storage genes (hms) of Y...
- Novel endonuclease-targeted approaches to nephroprotectionAlexei G Basnakian; Fiscal Year: 2013..We plan to use complimentary in vivo (glycerol-induced rhabdomyolysis) and in vitro (hemin or myoglobin) approaches to induce tubular epithelial cells injury...
- NOC in processed meat as a likely cause of colon cancerSidney S Mirvish; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 5: Induction of aberrant crypts by NaNO2 and hemin: Like hot dogs, dietary NaNO2, especially together with hemin, increased fecal ANC excretion in mice, but NaNO2 is ..
- Protective Effect of Hemin Preconditioning after Intracerebral HemorrhageRaymond F Regan; Fiscal Year: 2013..A growing body of experimental evidence supports the hypothesis that release of hemin from the hematoma may contribute to oxidative cell injury in adjacent tissue...
- Molecular Determinants of Endotoxin Interaction with Toll-like Receptor4Theresa Lee Gioannini; Fiscal Year: 2013..with MD-2 specify activation or antagonism of TLR4 and the contrasting structural and molecular requirements for hemin activation of TLR4;2) the effects of the naturally occurring polymorphic variant substitutions D299G and/or T399I ..
- Mechanically Stable Blood SubstitutesAndre Francis Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2010..oxygen binding properties at equilibrium, kinetics of O2 and NO binding/release, kinetics of Hb autoxidation and hemin release, kinetics of H2O2 and O2_ mediated oxidation of Hb, stability, complement activation, in vivo performance, ..
- Role of hemeoxygenase-1 in experimental acute pancreatitisAida Habtezion; Fiscal Year: 2013..Previously we showed a protective efect of hemin (hemoglobin prosthetic moiety that upregulates hemeoxygenase-1, HO-1) in experimental AP via recruitment of HO-1+ ..
- P Gingivalis LPS: Hemin-induced lipid A structural remodellingRICHARD PETERS DARVEAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically we have found that hemin regulates the lipid A structural composition of P...
- Phase 2 Study of Hemin for Treatment and Prevention of Porphyria AttacksKARL ELMO ANDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013PROJECT ABSTRACT/SUMMARY Hemin for injection (Panhematin", Lundbeck) was the first drug approved under the Orphan Drug Act...
- COMPETITION FOR HEME AMONG PERIODONTAL BACTERIAGEOFFREY TOMPKINS; Fiscal Year: 1993..The current proposal will develop a radiolabeled hemin-uptake assay with which to compare heme-acquisition by P.intermedia and P.gingivalis...
- NEURAL NETWORK MODELING OF SPEECH PRODUCTIONFrank Guenther; Fiscal Year: 2000..GRANT=R01DE09161 The ability to utilize hemin and hemin containing compounds as an iron source has been documented for several pathogenic bacteria, including ..
- STRESS GENES AND HEMORRHAGIC BRAIN INJURYFrank Sharp; Fiscal Year: 2001..and following induction of HO-1 with either systemic or subarachnoid injections of pure hemoglobin or stabilized hemin. (3) Hypothesis: Drugs that protect against oxidative stress and ischemic injury block focal regions of stress ..
- ERYTHROPOIESIS AND HEMOGLOBIN REGULATION IN MANBLANCHE ALTER; Fiscal Year: 1990..Soluble factors include conditioned media, burst promoting activity, fetal sheet sera, and hemin. The role of cell cycle active drugs such as hydroxyurea and 5-azacytidine will be investigated...
- ELECTRON TRANSPORT VARIANTS IN STAPHYLOCOCCAL DISEASERichard Proctor; Fiscal Year: 2001..aureus. Biosynthetic defects are present in this subpopulation which make them menadione or hemin auxotrophs...
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED UPTAKE OF IRON COMPLEXES IN BACTERIAMARK MCINTOSH; Fiscal Year: 1999..complexes by producing ferric chelators or they directly utilize host iron-binding proteins like transferrin or hemin. Specific outer membrane receptors recognize iron- binding molecules to allow their energy-dependent uptake...
- Electronic/Molecular Structure of Enzyme Heme PocketsGERD LA MAR; Fiscal Year: 2009..The target derivatives are substrate-free or app-HO, resting state HO-hemin-H/jO, HO-hemin-CN as a model for the unstable oxy complex, and HO-hemin-OH as a model for the reactive hydroperpxy ..
- Cyclic Nucleotides and Fetal Globin Gene ExpressionTohru Ikuta; Fiscal Year: 2004..This pathway was also found to be essential for the induced expression of the g-globin gene by hemin or butyrate...
- TRANSLATIONAL CONTROL OF PROTEIN SYNTHESIS BY HEMINMartin Gross; Fiscal Year: 1990..5M K C1-washed ribosomes is insensitive to inhibition oby phosphorylation of eIF-2Alpha and whether this may be related to RF-mediated dissociation of eIF-2 GDP from 60S subunits...
- Feasibility of Hemin-Based Therapy in Experimental Acute PancreatitisM Omary; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hemin upregulates heme oxygenates-1 (HO-1), the stress induced enzyme implicated in protection from a variety of injuries, while its related isoform HO-2 is constitutively expressed...
- P. gingivalis lipid A species modulation of endothelial cell gene activation progRichard Darveau; Fiscal Year: 2007..gingivalis, a periopathogen, alters its LPS lipid A composition in response to the hemin concentration in the growth medium. We have obtained P...
- P GINGIVALIS VIRULENCE--MOLECULAR GENETIC ANALYSISHOWARD KURAMITSU; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since P gingivalis can utilize hemin derived from hemoglobin as an iron source in the environment of the inflamed periodontal pocket, the mechanisms of ..
- IRON STORAGE AND UPTAKE IN YERSINIA PESTISRobert Perry; Fiscal Year: 1992..In addition to a cell bound ferric ion transport system, Y. pestis has the ability to use hemin as sole source of iron and can store hemin when grown at 26 degrees C; on characteristic of the pigmentation ..
- NITRIC OXIDE AND FERRITIN MEDIATED TUMOR CELL RESISTANCEMark Juckett; Fiscal Year: 2000..of NO to modulate ferritin synthesis and found that NO, itself, induced resistance to oxidants, particularly in hemin exposed cells...
- ASCORBATE COPPER LINK IN NUTRITIONEdward Harris; Fiscal Year: 1991..K562 cells of human origin will be used in the first phase of the work. The cells will be treated with hemin (20 uM) to induce maximum binding of ceruloplasmin...
- POST-TRANSCRIPTIONAL CONTROL OF PROINSULIN SYNTHESISJOSE CIMADEVILLA; Fiscal Year: 1980..inhibition kinetics similar to those obtained in rabbit reticulocyte lysates incubated in the absence of added hemin will be obtained...
- NITRIC OXIDE-G PROTEIN SIGNALING IN PATHOPHYSIOLOGYHARRY LANDER; Fiscal Year: 1999..Recently, we reported that one ferromitogen, hemin, acts as a potent inducer of cAMP in resting human PBMC...
- PROTEIN DEGRADATION IN P FALCIPARUMDAVID VANDER JAGT; Fiscal Year: 1991..2. Chloroquine interferes with the digestion of hemoglobin by diverting hemin from sequestration into malarial pigment...
- HEAT SHOCK-LIKE PROTEIN AND CELLULAR DIFFERENTIATIONJohn Yu; Fiscal Year: 1990Heat shock like proteins have been implicated in cellular differentiation. We have recently identified a protein, hemin p70, which accumulates along with the differentiation of K562 cells and is also demonstrable in human bone marrow...
- CADMIUM TOXICITY ANTAGONIZED BY DIFFERENTIATION-INDUCERSCHARLES SHOPSIS; Fiscal Year: 1990..sufoxide, Na butyrate, hypoxanithine, hexamethylene bisacetamide, N-methyl formamide, N,N'-dimethyl formamide, hemin, ouabain and dimethyl acetamide, also have in common the capacity to induce differentiation in vitro in Friend ..
- NOVEL IRON/HEMIN RESPONSIVE GENES IN HEMATOPOIESISDavid Boldt; Fiscal Year: 1999..as ferric transferrin (FeTF), whereas both are inhibited at the transcriptional level in the presence of exogenous hemin (ferric protoporphyrin IX)...
- CATALYTIC MECHANISMS OF HEME ENZYMESMasao Ikeda Saito; Fiscal Year: 2002..the catalytic mechanism of heme oxygenase which carries out a oxidative degradation of iron protoporphyrin IX (hemin) into iron (Fe), carbon monoxide (CO), and biliverdin IXalpha...
- DNA/RNA Quadruplexes: Structure, Stability, InteractionsRICHARD SHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2006..of quadruplex forms and a detailed investigation of a catalytic DNA construct and its interactions with hemin. Experimental techniques to be employed in this goal include UV/CD spectroscopy, isothermal titration calorimetry, ..
- ANGIOSUPPRESSIVE PROTEIN FROM P GINGIVALISDon Layman; Fiscal Year: 1999..bacterial lysis by the host's cellular defenses wold promote vascular destruction and create an anaerobic, hemin-rich environment conducive to bacterial growth...
- Characterization of Pancreatic Disease in a Novel Porcine Cystic Fibrosis ModelAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this application is to fully characterize pancreatic involvement in our novel CF pig model and to better understand the pathophysiological mechanisms leading to PI in CF. ..
- Regulation of heme uptake in intestinal epithelial cellsAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..heme uptake pathways will have a great impact in understanding disorders associated with iron overload (hereditary hemochromatosis, iron overload secondary to blood transfusions) and nutritional iron deficiency [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Heme Uptake and Transport in Caco-2 CellsAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. hereditary hemochromatosis, iron overload secondary to blood transfusions) and explore the role of intestinal epithelial cell bi-directional heme movement on the regulation of iron stores. ..
- Effect of Inducible Antioxidants on Hemoglobin ToxicityRaymond F Regan; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Hemin, the oxidized form of heme, is then catabolized by the heme oxygenase enzymes to iron, carbon monoxide, and ..
- Optimizing Heme Oxygenase Activity after CNS HemorrhageRaymond Regan; Fiscal Year: 2009..of this treatment on culture HO activity, reactive oxygen species (ROS) formation, and cell viability after Hb or hemin exposure. 2) Construct an adenovirus encoding the HO-1 gene driven by the astrocyte-specific GFAP promoter...
- Molecular Targets of Novel Antifungal CompoundsAmeeta Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work will provide a starting point in the development of new antifungal therapies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prevotella intermedia: Iron and VirulenceJANINA LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..This property is greatly influenced by availability of nutrients such as iron. Hemin has been shown to be an indispensable nutrient for these bacteria...
- ENZYME DEFECTS IN DISORDERS OF PROTOPORPHYRIN METABOLISMJoseph Bloomer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal thus is designed to define a critical relationship between FECH gene expression and phenotype in EPP which will lead to better genetic counseling and therapy. ..
- Inhibition of HIV Infection by Oral Bacterial ComponentHua Xie; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, the study of P. gingivalis inhibitory protein may lead to a discovery of an additional target to complement the current anti-HIV targets which are either reverse transcriptase or protease. ..
- NURR1 Gene Mutations in Parkinson's DiseaseWeidong Le; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Chemoprevention of Colonic NOC Formation and ActionSIDNEY MIRVISH; Fiscal Year: 2006..to find out whether nitrite reacts with frankfurter-derived NOC precursors (NOCP); and feed 1, 2 and 4% hemin in diet with nitrite...
- NURR1 EXPRESSION AND DAERGIC DYSFUNCTION RELEVANT TO PDWei Dong LE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF NOVEL ANTIFUNGAL ANTIPC NATURAL PRODUCTSMitchell Avery; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Solamere QLC100 Nipkow Spinning Disk Confocal UnitJONATHAN JAGGAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms for Stat 3-Mediated Gamma-Globin Gene Silenc*Betty Pace; Fiscal Year: 2006..This project thus offers a systematic analysis of gamma globin silencing that offers a unique opportunity to develop a novel gene-based therapy to increase HbF expression in Sickle cell disease and Cooley's anemia. ..
- Early Forms of Oxidized LDL, TLRs and AtherosclerosisYury Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because the oxidized moieties in mmLDL are likely to be common components of oxidized membranes in general, these studies are likely to have generalized importance. ..
- REGULATION OF XENOBIOTIC-METABOLIZING CYP3ARichard Zangar; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Bioinformatics for Protein MicroarraysRichard Zangar; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- New Topical Therapies for PsoriasisMitchell Avery; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of this project is to develop a safe and effective new drug for topical treatment of psoriasis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HBF VARIANTS FOR GENE THERAPY OF SICKLE CELL DISEASEKazuhiko Adachi; Fiscal Year: 2005....