Genomes and Genes
Summary: Multiple protein bands serving as markers of specific ANTIBODIES and detected by ELECTROPHORESIS of CEREBROSPINAL FLUID or serum. The bands are most often seen during inflammatory or immune processes and are found in most patients with MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosisEdward J Thompson
Department of Neuroimmunology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, Ontario, Canada
Adv Neurol 98:147-60. 2006
- The clinical significance of an intrathecal monoclonal immunoglobulin band: a follow-up studyGerard Davies
Department of Neuroinflammation, Institute of Neurology, University College London
Neurology 60:1163-6. 2003..At present, it is not known whether a single band will convert to an oligoclonal response with time...
- Multiple sclerosis and occult gluten sensitivityMarios Hadjivassiliou
Neurology 64:933-4; author reply 933-4. 2005
- Unusual association of multiple sclerosis with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS): two case reportsMichael Rentzos
Department of Neurology, Aeginition Hospital Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Funct Neurol 19:253-6. 2004..This association is very unusual and it is not certain whether the co-occurrence of these disorders might be the result of a causal link between multiple sclerosis and monoclonal gammopathy or a fortuitous phenomenon...
- Clinical and laboratory features of in-patients with multiple sclerosis in a University Hospital in Tokyo from 1988-2002Kortaro Tanaka
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Shinanomachi, Tokyo
Intern Med 44:560-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyze the clinical and laboratory features of each subtype of multiple sclerosis (MS) (relapsing-remitting, primary progressive, and secondary progressive) in the Tokyo metropolitan area...
- The prognostic significance of cerebrospinal fluid in multiple sclerosisSasitorn Siritho
The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 4th Floor, Multiple Sclerosis Research Unit, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Neurol Sci 279:21-5. 2009Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients lacking CSF oligoclonal bands are purported to have a milder course of disease. We reviewed the natural history of oligoclonal band (OCB) - negative (OCB-) compared to OCB positive (OCB+) patients.
- Oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis cerebrospinal fluid: an update on methodology and clinical usefulnessHans Link
Karolinska Institute, 14185 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neuroimmunol 180:17-28. 2006..systemic B-cell responses in patients with MS or CIS vs. patients with other inflammatory neurological diseases should shed new light on the role of CSF OB, which remains enigmatic...
- Cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis and clinically isolated syndromes: a meta-analysis of prevalence, prognosis and effect of latitudeRuth Dobson
Blizard Institute, Queen Mary University of London, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, 4 Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 84:909-14. 2013b>Oligoclonal bands (OCBs) unique to the cerebrospinal fluid are used in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS). The precise prevalence of OCBs in MS and clinically isolated syndrome (CIS) is unknown...
- Association of HLA-DRB1*15 allele and CSF oligoclonal bands in a Spanish multiple sclerosis cohortL Romero-Pinel
Multiple Sclerosis Unit, Neurology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, IDIBELL, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurol 18:1258-62. 2011..This study investigated the association between HLA-DRB1 alleles and the presence of oligoclonal immunoglobulin G bands (OCB) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in a Spanish population with MS...
- Do oligoclonal bands add information to MRI in first attacks of multiple sclerosis?M Tintore
Unit of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 70:1079-83. 2008To evaluate whether oligoclonal bands (OB) add information to MRI in predicting both a second attack and development of disability in patients with clinically isolated syndromes (CIS).
- Idiopathic acute transverse myelitis: application of the recent diagnostic criteriaJ de Seze
Department of Neurology, University of Lille, France
Neurology 65:1950-3. 2005..In a retrospective study of 288 patients with ATM, 45 cases (15.6%) met the criteria for idiopathic ATM. The patients formed a relatively homogeneous group in terms of clinical and MRI data, but the prognosis was highly variable...
- Multiple sclerosis with and without CSF bands: clinically indistinguishable but immunogenetically distinctKerstin Imrell
Division of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurology 67:1062-4. 2006We sought to determine whether Swedish patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) with and without oligoclonal bands (OCBs) in the CSF constitute distinct subpopulations, clinically and immunogenetically...
- CSF oligoclonal band status informs prognosis in multiple sclerosis: a case control study of 100 patientsF G Joseph
University of Bristol Institute of Clinical Neurosciences, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol BS16 1LE, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:292-6. 2009..The study hypothesis was that a definitive study would not only be of clinical and prognostic value but also potentially offer information about the possible role of CSF oligoclonal immunoglobulins in MS disease processes...
- Absence of cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands is associated with delayed disability progression in relapsing-remitting MS patients treated with interferon-betaPasquale Annunziata
Department of Neurological Sciences and Behaviour, University of Siena, Italy
J Neurol Sci 244:97-102. 2006To assess the role of CSF oligoclonal bands (OB) in determining the clinical outcome in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) treated with IFN-beta, we carried out a retrospective, multicentre, observational study ..
- HLA-related subpopulations of MS in Japanese with and without oligoclonal IgG bands. Human leukocyte antigenS Kikuchi
Department of Neurology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Neurology 60:647-51. 2003....
- The significance of oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis in Japan: relevance of immunogenetic backgroundsT Fukazawa
Hokuyukai Neurology Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
J Neurol Sci 158:209-14. 1998..Further investigations involving more patients are warranted...
- The significance of oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis: relevance of demographic and clinical features, and immunogenetic backgroundsEgemen Idiman
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Balcova, Izmir, Turkey
J Neuroimmunol 212:121-4. 2009..007) and control group (p=0.0002). In conclusion, our results suggested that, MS patients with CSF OCBs have a female predominance, better clinical course with less disability and better prognosis, are associated with HLA-DR15...
- Presence of CSF oligoclonal bands (OCB) is associated with the HLA-DRB1 genotype in a West Australian multiple sclerosis cohortJing Shan Wu
Australian Neuromuscular Research Institute, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Centre for Neuromuscular and Neurological Disorders, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, 6009, Perth, WA, Australia
J Neurol Sci 288:63-7. 2010..Our study is the first to show that HLA-DRB1 allele interactions and dose-effects influence the frequency of OCB...
- Brain atrophy and lesion load are related to CSF lipid-specific IgM oligoclonal bands in clinically isolated syndromesMaría José Magraner
Multiple Sclerosis Unit, Neurology Department, Hospital La Fe, Av Campanar 21, Valencia, 46009, Spain
Neuroradiology 54:5-12. 2012....
- Cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands and progression of disability in multiple sclerosisM Koch
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurol 14:797-800. 2007..The majority of patients with MS have oligoclonal bands (OCB), corresponding to antibodies against a variety of antigens, in their cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)...
- Cerebrospinal fluid parameters of B cell-related activity in patients with active disease during natalizumab therapyA Harrer
Department of Neurology, Christian Doppler Klinik, Paracelsus Medical University, Austria
Mult Scler 19:1209-12. 2013Recently, the disappearance of oligoclonal bands (OCBs) from the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of a few natalizumab-treated patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) has been reported...
- Abnormal serum free light chain ratio in patients with multiple myeloma in complete remission has strong association with the presence of oligoclonal bands: implications for stringent complete remission definitionCarlos Fernández de Larrea
Departments of Hematology, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi I Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Blood 114:4954-6. 2009..2%) showed an abnormal FLC ratio. The frequency of abnormal FLC ratio in patients with or without oligoclonal bands was 72.7% versus 26%, respectively (P = .023). The median value of FLC ratio was 2...
- Oligoclonal bands and antibody responses in multiple sclerosisJorge Correale
Departmento de Neurologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Neurológicas, Dr Raúl Carrea, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Neurol 249:375-89. 2002..The introduction of more sensitive procedures for protein detection has allowed demonstrating oligoclonal bands (OCBs) in up to 95 % of patients with clinically definite MS...
- The risk of relapse after a clinically isolated syndrome is related to the pattern of oligoclonal bandsI Bosca
Neurology Department, Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain
J Neuroimmunol 226:143-6. 2010..4-fold compared to having only OC-IgG. Median time to second relapse was 0.7 years for patients with OC-IgG+LS-OC-IgM and 3.3 years for those with only OC-IgG. Therefore, CSF analysis identifies CIS patients at risk of second relapse...
- Oligoclonal bands and cerebrospinal fluid markers in multiple sclerosis: associations with disease course and progressionPedro Lourenco
Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Mult Scler 19:577-84. 2013The use of oligoclonal bands (OCBs) and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) parameters are established in the diagnosis of MS, but poorly as markers of disease.
- Oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients with disease-associated mutationsNicola Ticozzi
Department of Neurology and Laboratory of Neuroscience, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Piazzale Brescia 20, 20149, Milan, Italy
J Neurol 260:85-92. 2013..This study investigates the occurrence of oligoclonal bands (OCBs) in the CSF of a large series of ALS patients, attempting a correlation with genotype data...
- Prospective study of patients presenting with acute partial transverse myelopathyC Cordonnier
Dept of Neurology, CHRU de Lille, Lille, France
J Neurol 250:1447-52. 2003..Nevertheless, it remains difficult for the clinician to ascertain conversion to MS after a first episode of acute partial transverse myelopathy (APTM)...
- Emergence of oligoclonal bands in patients with multiple myeloma in complete remission after induction chemotherapy: association with the use of novel agentsCarlos Fernández de Larrea
Departments of Hematology, Servei d Hematologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Haematologica 96:171-3. 2011The emergence of oligoclonal bands is associated with a favorable outcome after autologous stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma...
- Comparison of two methods for the detection of oligoclonal bands in a large number of clinically isolated syndrome and multiple sclerosis patientsAljoša Andlovic
Department of Neurology, Medical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 114:659-62. 2012..It also accurately predicted conversion to MS in patients with CIS. The aim of our study was to compare sensitivity of a novel and the standard procedure with peroxidase immunodetection in a large number of CIS and MS patients...
- Intrathecal human herpesvirus 6 antibodies in multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases presenting as oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluidJussi O Virtanen
Department of Virology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Neuroimmunol 237:93-7. 2011..of the central nervous system (CNS) often include elevated IgG production in intrathecal space presenting as oligoclonal bands (OCBs) in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). In most demyelinating diseases, e.g...
- Acute transverse myelitis with normal brain MRI : long-term risk of MSJui Perumal
Multiple Sclerosis Center, Dept of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
J Neurol 255:89-93. 2008..To investigate the long-term risk of developing MS in patients presenting with acute transverse myelitis (ATM) and normal brain MRI scans at onset...
- Cerebrospinal BAFF and Epstein-Barr virus-specific oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis and other inflammatory demyelinating neurological diseasesDiego Franciotta
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, IRCCS National Neurological Institute C Mondino, University of Pavia, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 230:160-3. 2011....
- Multiple sclerosis patients lacking oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid are less likely to develop neutralizing antibodies against interferon betaM Lundkvist
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Mult Scler 16:796-800. 2010..46%). We propose that oligoclonal IgG band-negative patients differ immunologically from oligoclonal IgG band-positive patients, potentially influenced by distinct HLA-DRB1 alleles...
- The significance of HLA DRB1*1501 and oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis: clinical features and disabilityRenata Balnytė
Department of Neurology, Medical Academy, Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 47:368-73. 2011..The aim of the present study was to determine the value of immunogenetic risk factors and to estimate their relationship with the clinical features and disability status of patients with multiple sclerosis in a Lithuanian population...
- HLA-DRB115 and cerebrospinal-fluid-specific oligoclonal immunoglobulin G bands lower age at attainment of important disease milestones in multiple sclerosisKerstin Imrell
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neuroimmunol 210:128-30. 2009..0. Both carriage of HLA-DRB1*15 and the presence of OCB hastened attainment of EDSS 6.0...
- Cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands in childhood opsoclonus-myoclonusMichael R Pranzatelli
Division of Child and Adolescent Neurology, Department of Neurology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9643, USA
Pediatr Neurol 45:27-33. 2011b>Oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluid reflect local B-cell responses associated with various neuroinflammatory disorders...
- Oligoclonal bands and MRI in clinically isolated syndromes: predicting conversion time to multiple sclerosisRojas Juan Ignacio
MS Section, Neurology Department, Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires, Gascon 450, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Neurol 257:1188-91. 2010The objective of the study was to evaluate whether the presence of oligoclonal bands (OB) adds information in predicting CIS conversion to clinical definite multiple sclerosis (CDMS) and conversion time to CDMS...
- Cerebrospinal fluid findings in aquaporin-4 antibody positive neuromyelitis optica: results from 211 lumbar puncturesS Jarius
Division of Molecular Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurol Sci 306:82-90. 2011..AQP4-Ab positive NMO is now considered an immunopathogenetically distinct disease in its own right. However, to date little is known about the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in AQP4-Ab positive NMO...
- Paediatric and adult multiple sclerosis: age-related differences and time course of the neuroimmunological response in cerebrospinal fluidH Reiber
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Göttingen, Germany
Mult Scler 15:1466-80. 2009..CSF analysis may help to discriminate between acute and mono-symptomatic chronic inflammatory disease already at earliest clinical manifestation...
- Association of the HLA-DRB1 alleles with characteristic MRI features of Asian multiple sclerosisT Matsuoka
Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Mult Scler 14:1181-90. 2008..We aimed to disclose possible factors contributing to the development of such MRI features...
- Matching of oligoclonal immunoglobulin transcriptomes and proteomes of cerebrospinal fluid in multiple sclerosisBirgit Obermeier
Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Ludwig Maximilians University, University Hospital Grosshadern, Marchioninistrasse 15, D 81377 Munich, Germany
Nat Med 14:688-93. 2008..This approach can be applied to other organ-specific diagnostic fluid or tissue samples to compare the Ig transcripts of local B cells with the corresponding antibody proteomes of individual subjects...
- A multifactorial prognostic index in multiple sclerosis. Cerebrospinal fluid IgM oligoclonal bands and clinical features to predict the evolution of the diseaseJessica Mandrioli
Clinica Neurologica, Dept of Neuroscience, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Nuovo Ospedale Civile S Agostino Estense di Modena, Via Giardini 1355, 41100 Modena, Italy
J Neurol 255:1023-31. 2008..The aim of the study was to create a multifactorial prognostic index (MPI) providing the probability of a severe MS course at diagnosis based on clinical and immunological CSF parameters...
- The prevalence of oligoclonal bands in the CSF of patients with primary neurodegenerative dementiaJ C Janssen
Dementia Research Group, Institute of Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, WC1N 3BG, London, UK
J Neurol 251:184-8. 2004..that younger patients with dementia should undergo CSF examination, which frequently includes analysis for oligoclonal bands (OCB)...
- Oligoclonal bands in Devic's neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis: differences in repeated cerebrospinal fluid examinationsR Bergamaschi
Centre for Multiple Sclerosis, Neurological Institute IRCCS C Mondino, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Mult Scler 10:2-4. 2004..Variations of oligoclonal bands (OBs) had opposite trends in the two groups...
- The discovery of oligoclonal bands: a 50-year anniversaryTrygve Holmøy
Institute of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet and Department of Neurology, Oslo University Hospital Ulleval, Oslo, Norway
Eur Neurol 62:311-5. 2009..The discovery of OCB led to the still prevailing concept that MS is mediated by clonally expanded lymphocytes, and provided the basis for modern diagnostic procedures in MS...
- Isolated demyelinating syndromes: comparison of CSF oligoclonal bands and different MR imaging criteria to predict conversion to CDMSM Tintore
Unit of Clinical Neuroimmunology Department of Neurology, Vall d Hebron University Hospitals, Barcelona, Spain
Mult Scler 7:359-63. 2001To evaluate and compare the capacity of oligoclonal bands (OB) and three sets of MR imaging criteria to predict the conversion of clinically isolated syndromes (CIS) to clinically definite multiple sclerosis (CDMS).
- Oligoclonal IgG band patterns in inflammatory demyelinating human and mouse diseasesDiego Franciotta
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, IRCCS Neurological Institute C Mondino, Via Mondino 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 200:125-8. 2008..These results indicate that CSF analysis can help differentiate between MS and ADEM and that, similarly to EAE, the 'mirror pattern' observed in ADEM accounts for a predominantly systemic immune activation...
- MRI criteria in MS patients with negative and positive oligoclonal bands: equal fulfillment of Barkhof's criteria but different lesion patternsHagen B Huttner
Department of Neurology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Neurol 256:1121-5. 2009In multiple sclerosis (MS) more than 95% of the patients have positive oligoclonal bands (OCB) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)...
- Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 (EBNA-1) associated oligoclonal bands in patients with multiple sclerosisK H Rand
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, JHMHC, Box 199275, Gainesville, FL 32610 0275, USA
J Neurol Sci 173:32-9. 2000b>Oligoclonal bands (OCBs) are frequently observed in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), but the target antigens of these antibodies remain unknown...
- The contribution of cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands to the early diagnosis of multiple sclerosisV Zipoli
Department of Neurology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Mult Scler 15:472-8. 2009..McDonald Criteria (MDC) have been validated in selected patients at high risk for multiple sclerosis (MS). However, possible overdiagnosis of MS can represent critical issues in less controlled clinical settings...
- Analysis of Chlamydia pneumoniae-specific oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosis and other neurologic diseasesD Franciotta
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, IRCCS, Foundation Neurological Institute C Mondino, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Acta Neurol Scand 112:238-41. 2005Paired serum and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) specimens were investigated for Chlamydia pneumoniae-specific oligoclonal bands (OCBs) to determine band specificity in multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Oligoclonal bands and immunoglobulin isotype switch during monitoring of patients with multiple myeloma and autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation: a 16-year experienceMariel Emilce Alejandre
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:727-31. 2010..During 16 years of follow-up, the degree of tumor response and survival in 238 patients with autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) and changes in the serum protein electrophoretic pattern were analyzed...
- B lineage cells in the inflammatory central nervous system environment: migration, maintenance, local antibody production, and therapeutic modulationEdgar Meinl
Department of Neuroimmunology, Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Martinsried, Munich, Germany
Ann Neurol 59:880-92. 2006..findings offer a plausible explanation for the notorious persistence and stability of cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands. Furthermore, we highlight similarities and differences of intrathecal immunoglobulin production in multiple ..
- Antigen-specific oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluid and serum from patients with anti-amphiphysin- and anti-CV2/CRMP5 associated paraneoplastic neurological syndromesO Stich
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik der Albert Ludwigs Universitaet Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Neurol 14:650-3. 2007..blot preloaded with paraneoplastic antigen, we detected in three of four patients more or stronger specific oligoclonal bands (OCB) in the CSF than in the corresponding serum, providing qualitative evidence of antigen specific ..
- Clonally expanded plasma cells in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with central nervous system autoimmune demyelination produce "oligoclonal bands"Hans Christian von Büdingen
Dept of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 26, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neuroimmunol 218:134-9. 2010Clonally expanded plasma cells (cePC) and oligoclonal IgG (oligoclonal bands, OCB) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) suggest an involvement of B cell mechanisms in autoimmune CNS demyelination...
- Assessment of outcome predictors in first-episode acute myelitis: a retrospective study of 53 casesAlberto Gajofatto
Section of Clinical Neurology, Department of Neurological and Vision Sciences, University of Verona, Piazzale LA Scuro 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
Arch Neurol 67:724-30. 2010..To identify predictors of short- and long-term outcomes in acute myelitis (AM)...
- Oligoclonal bands predict multiple sclerosis after optic neuritis: a literature surveyA G Skov
Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Mult Scler 17:404-10. 2011..Cerebrospinal fluid from a patient with MS analysed by electrophoresis often shows a split to form so called oligoclonal bands (OCBs). OCBs consist of proteins from activated lymphocytes and plasma cell clones.
- MRI and CSF oligoclonal bands after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in MSA Saiz
Services of Neurology, , , University of Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 56:1084-9. 2001OBJECTIVE: To analyze the MRI and CSF oligoclonal bands (OB) changes in patients with MS who underwent an autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (AHSCT). BACKGROUND: AHSCT is evaluated as an alternative therapy in severe MS...
- Relevance of callosal and periventricular MRI lesions to oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosisI Nakashima
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Seiryo machi, Sendai, Japan
Acta Neurol Scand 113:125-31. 2006..To evaluate the association between callosal or periventricular lesions, and the presence of oligoclonal IgG bands (OB) or the IgG index in Japanese patients with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- CSF oligoclonal bands in MS include antibodies against Chlamydophila antigensS Y Yao
Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Neurology 56:1168-76. 2001..Affinity-driven immunoblot studies and solid-phase adsorption of CSF oligoclonal bands by elementary body antigens of C pneumoniae, viral antigens (measles and herpes simplex virus-1), bacterial ..
- Oligoclonal IgG bands in Japanese patients with multiple sclerosis. A comparative study between isoelectric focusing with IgG immunofixation and high-resolution agarose gel electrophoresisIchiro Nakashima
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Neuroimmunol 159:133-6. 2005..When OSMS was excluded, the frequency increased to 77% by IEF, whereas it remained 23% by AGE. Our study strongly suggests that IEF is highly effective for detecting OB in Japanese MS patients...
- Oligoclonal bands measured in unconcentrated cerebrospinal fluid and other biochemical parameters in multiple sclerosisJacek Kurzepa
Chair and Department of Neurology, Skubiszewski Medical University of Lublin
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 59:392-6. 2004..Total protein level, white blood cells (WBC) count and presence of oligoclonal bands (OB) in CSF were examined...
- [Oligoclonal IgG bands in the cerebrospinal fluid of portuguese patients with multiple sclerosis: negative results indicate benign disease]Maria José Sá
Head of Cerebrospinal Fluid CSF Unit, Head of Multiple Sclerosis MS Outpatient Clinical Care
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 63:375-9. 2005..We conclude that the frequency of positive IgG-OCB patterns in our MS patients fits most values reported in the literature, and that negative results indicate benign disease...
- Lack of serum oligoclonal antibody responses to Chlamydophila pneumoniae in multiple sclerosisM D Chapman
Department of Neuroimmunology, Institute of Neurology, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
Eur Neurol 53:81-3. 2005..We undertook to investigate whether the presence of CSF oligoclonal IgG OCB or oligoclonal bands correlated with serum IgG raised against C. pneumoniae...
- Early differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis using a new oligoclonal band testLuisa M Villar
Department of Immunology, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Arch Neurol 62:574-7. 2005..Recently, we developed a new oligoclonal IgG band (OCGB) test for ITGS detection that is more sensitive and easier to interpret than previously described methods...
- Ankylosing spondylitis and multiple sclerosis in an HLA-B27 negative patientFunda Uysal Tan
Kirikkale University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Kirikkale, Turkey
Acta Neurol Belg 104:169-72. 2004..MS) as the patient had insidious neurological progression, CSF evidence of inthrathecal production of oligoclonal bands, conduction defects at VEP, multiple brain and additional spinal cord lesions on MRI and continued ..
- Clinical correlations of CSF single IgG bandsDiego Franciotta
J Neurol 252:1274-5. 2005
- Increased intracranial pressure in a case of pediatric multiple sclerosisBrice J Williams
Department of Neurosciences, Charles P Darby Children s Research Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
J Child Neurol 23:699-702. 2008..a diagnostic lumbar puncture showed significant intracranial hypertension in addition to numerous oligoclonal bands, elevated immunoglobulin G index and immunoglobulin G/albumin ratio in the cerebrospinal fluid...
- Autoantibodies to the proteasome in monosymptomatic optic neuritis may predict progression to multiple sclerosisN H Beyer
Department of Autoimmunology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 67:696-706. 2007..We investigated whether PAB serum status in acute monosymptomatic optic neuritis (ON) and MS differed significantly from that of healthy controls, and whether or not PAB status is predictive of later MS development in patients with ON...
- Intrathecal IgM-synthesis does not correlate with the risk of relapse in patients with a primary demyelinating eventR Schneider
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Neurol 14:907-11. 2007..These data do not support the idea that the presence of IgM-OCB in CSF might predict an unfavourable course in MS...
- Interlaboratory reproducibility of isoelectric focusing in oligoclonal band detectionDiego Franciotta
Clin Chem 53:1557-8. 2007
- Higher IgG index found in African Americans versus Caucasians with multiple sclerosisJohn R Rinker
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Neurology 69:68-72. 2007..Interethnic immunologic differences in MS and their relationship to disease-related disability have not been described...
- Clinical characteristics of patients with late-onset multiple sclerosisBernhard Kis
Dept of Neurology, Alfried Krupp Hospital, Essen, Germany
J Neurol 255:697-702. 2008..004). For individuals who develop LOMS, a primary progressive course is frequent, with motor symptoms as the prominent feature. Vigilance is necessary to recognise MS in this population because of its unusual presentation...
- Mitoxantrone for multiple sclerosis causing acute lymphoblastic leukemiaM S Cartwright
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neurology 68:1630-1. 2007
- Oxidized phosphatidylcholine is a marker for neuroinflammation in multiple sclerosis brainJ Qin
Department of Pediatrics, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Neurosci Res 85:977-84. 2007..We therefore conclude that we can detect both OxPC and 15-kDa protein modified by OxPC and the antibody to the antibody to OxPC (antiidiotype) in pathological tissue and suggest that this could play a role in the progression of MS...
- Acute partial transverse myelitis: risk factors for conversion to multiple sclerosisJ Sellner
Department of Neurology, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland corrected
Eur J Neurol 15:398-405. 2008..03) and lesions on brain MRI (P = 0.03) were predictive factors for conversion to MS. CSF-specific oligoclonal bands (P = 0.04) or abnormal IgG-index (P = 0.04) were associated with increased risk for MS as well...
- Intrathecal immunoglobulin G synthesis and brain injury by quantitative MRI in multiple sclerosisCarlos O Brandão
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical School, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Neuroimmunomodulation 13:89-95. 2006....
- Roles of immunoglobulins and B cells in multiple sclerosis: from pathogenesis to treatmentJack Antel
Neuroimmunology Unit, Montreal Neurological Institute and McGill University, 3801 University Street, Room 111, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A2B4
J Neuroimmunol 180:3-8. 2006..Analysis of CSF Ig in terms of rate of production and restricted diversity (oligoclonal bands) remains a supportive diagnostic criteria for MS...
- Cerebrospinal fluid IgG profiles and oligoclonal bands in Chinese patients with multiple sclerosisB Li
Department of Neurology, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, China
Acta Neurol Scand 115:319-24. 2007To investigate the significance of oligoclonal bands (OCBs) and intrathecal IgG fractions (IgGIF) for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) in northern China.
- CSF analysis in suspected MS: do bands aid?Rogier Q Hintzen
Neurology 70:1059-60. 2008
- [Immunofixation compared to isoelectric focusing in the detection of oligoclonal bands in cerebrospinal fluid of multiple sclerosis patients]A Fromont
Service de Neurologie, CHU, Dijon
Rev Neurol (Paris) 161:1183-90. 2005Intrathecal immunoglobulins (Ig) synthesis, reflected by oligoclonal bands (OCBs) in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is observed in up to 90 percent of patients with clinically definite Multiple Sclerosis (MS)...
- X-linked Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and progressive-relapsing central demyelinating diseaseG Isoardo
SOC Neurologia, Ospedale Civile di Asti, Asti, Italy
Neurology 65:1672-3. 2005
- 10 most commonly asked questions about cerebrospinal fluid characteristics in demyelinating disorders of the central nervous systemMatthias Mehling
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Neurologist 14:60-5. 2008
- Between-laboratory variability in oligoclonal IgG band numberingDiego Franciotta
Clin Chem 51:270-2. 2005
- [Clinical characteristics and neurophysiologic findings in patients with multiple sclerosis without oligoclonal IgG in cerebrospinal fluid]Sarlota Mesaros
Institute of Neurology, Clinical Centre of Serbia, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 131:122-6. 2003..This study was designed to compare clinical data and evoked potential (EP) findings between CSF OCB positive and OCB negative MS patients...
- [Magnetic resonance findings in the brain of patients with multiple sclerosis without oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid]Sarlota Mesaroc
Institute of Neurology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 131:31-5. 2003....
- The correlation between cerebrospinal fluid findings and evoked potentials during an acute MS attackC Irkec
Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurology
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 41:117-22. 2001..VEP, BAEP latencies were found to be prolonged as Ig G index increased. (p < 0.05) However the same correlation can not be found with SEP parameters...
- Relevance of immunological variables in neuroborreliosis and multiple sclerosisJ Bednarova
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty Hospital, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Acta Neurol Scand 112:97-102. 2005....
- Multiple sclerosis in TaiwanChing Piao Tsai
Neurology, The Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:500-5. 2004..The clinical features and prevalence of MS in Taiwan still remain to be clarified. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and delineate the clinical features of MS in Taiwanese patients...
- A comparative study of Japanese multiple sclerosis patients with and without oligoclonal IgG bandsI Nakashima
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Mult Scler 8:459-62. 2002..Our results suggest that the majority of OB-negative Japanese MS patents show either no or few brain MRI lesions or atypical brain MRI lesions...
- [Multiple sclerosis. Chlamydia hypothesis in debate]T Derfuss
, , Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried
Nervenarzt 72:820-3. 2001..involved in the pathogenesis of MS, one would expect that, in analogy to other infections of the CNS, the oligoclonal bands in the CSF of MS patients would recognize the responsible agent...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae in children with MS: frequency and quantity of intrathecal antibodiesK Rostasy
Department of Pediatric Neurology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Neurology 61:125-8. 2003....
- High-dose immunosuppressive therapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for severe multiple sclerosisRichard A Nash
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Ave N, D1 100, PO Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Blood 102:2364-72. 2003..0 point EDSS) at 3 years was 27%. Of 12 patients who had oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid at baseline, 9 had persistence after HDIT...
- Detection of oligoclonal immunoglobulins in cerebrospinal fluid by an immunofixation-peroxidase methodSophie Richard
Laboratory of Immunology, Centre Hospitalier Regional et Universitaire de Bordeaux, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Clin Chem 48:167-73. 2002....
- [Contribution of biology to diagnosis of multiple sclerosis]R Liblau
Laboratoire d'Immunologie Cellulaire et INSERM U 546, , Paris, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 157:963-7. 2001..To date, no prognostic criteria can be drawn from the analysis of the CSF. Other biological tests can be performed in order to eliminate other diagnosis. These tests only have a great interest in atypical forms of the disease...
- CSF oligoclonal bands in multiple sclerosisI Siddiqui
Department of Pathology, Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 52:351-3. 2002To study the significance of oligoclonal bands in neurological disorders, specifically in Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
- [Late onset multiple sclerosis]S Delalande
Service de Neurologie D, Hopital Roger Salengro, CHRU Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 158:1082-7. 2002..This study highlights the differences between the late onset MS and earlier onset. As previously reported, our study underlines the high frequency of progressive course, motor function involvement and poor prognosis...
- Oligoclonal IgG bands synthesized in the central nervous system are present in rats with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisB Rostrom
Section for Medical Inflammation Research, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 109:106-12. 2004b>Oligoclonal bands (OBs) in electrophoresis of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) are present in multiple sclerosis and here is investigated whether these also occur in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE).
- Detection of oligoclonal free kappa chains in the absence of oligoclonal IgG in the CSF of patients with suspected multiple sclerosisS Goffette
Service de Neurologie, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, UCL, Brussels, Belgium
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:308-10. 2004..As such, they too are markers of an ongoing intrathecal immune process...
- CSF characteristics in early-onset multiple sclerosisD Pohl
Department of Pediatrics and Pediatric Neurology, Georg August University Goettingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Neurology 63:1966-7. 2004..CSF oligoclonal IgG supports the early diagnosis of MS in childhood with a sensitivity similar to adult-onset MS...
- Paraneoplastic antibodies detected by isoelectric focusing of cerebrospinal fluid and serumAnette Storstein
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021, Bergen, Norway
J Neuroimmunol 155:150-4. 2004..employed isoelectric focusing and peroxidase-labeled anti-IgG or 35S-labeled Hu or Yo antigens to identify oligoclonal bands (OCB) representing either total IgG or Hu or Yo antibodies in serum and CSF of patients with paraneoplastic ..
- The Role of Intrathecal Plasma Cell Clones in MS PathogenesisGREGORY PARKS OWENS; Fiscal Year: 2013..nature of disease are indicated by increased and persistent intrathecal IgG synthesis and the presence of oligoclonal bands (OCBs)...
- TEAR ABNORMALITIES IN NEUROLOGICAL DISEASESPatricia Coyle; Fiscal Year: 1990..antibodies (Ab), the relative amounts of dimeric and monomeric IgA (using ELISA); and immunological markers (oligoclonal bands, Ab to myelin basic protein, distinct protein bands) using SDS polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, ..
- ONTOGENY OF GENERATION OF NEONATAL ANTIBODY DIVERSITYRichard Insel; Fiscal Year: 2000..The results of these investigations should provide novel insights into the ontogeny of the neonatal B cell repertoire and in the potential to accelerate of immunity. ..
- Genetic loci predisposing to multiple sclerosis (MS)Leena Peltonen; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Expression in Acute and Chronic Neurologic DiseaseDonald Gilden; Fiscal Year: 2008..The program contains 3 scientific projects, an administrative core and a scientific core. Because oligoclonal bands (OGB) in multiple CNS infectious diseases are specific for the agent that causes disease, Project 1 analyzes ..
- Lung Transplantation and Immune Tolerance in Young RecipientsRichard Nash; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Severe Systemic SclerosisRichard Nash; Fiscal Year: 2006..The unique observations in this study regarding responses and recovery of organs after inducing a sustained remission of SSc will serve to focus and direct other non-transplant research activities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immunologic Mechanism/Destruction/Biliary ArtesiaCara Mack; Fiscal Year: 2006..Cytokine profiles will be characterized by cytokine mRNA expression. ..
- ENGRAFTING SENSITIZED HOSTS WITH NONABLATIVE REGIMENSRichard Nash; Fiscal Year: 2002..By lessening the morbidity and mortality associated with conventional conditioning, these studies could significantly change the management of selected inherited red blood cell diseases. ..
- Role of Cytokines and Autoimmunity in Murine BACara Mack; Fiscal Year: 2005..Defining the immunopathology in biliary atresia will lead to a better understanding of the etiopathogenesis and provide insight into future therapeutic options. ..
- Cloning Kawasaki Disease-specific antigensAnne Rowley; Fiscal Year: 2005..These plans will provide me with opportunities for enhanced career development by acquisition of new research skills, and will be fostered by the strong interdisciplinary research environment at Northwestern. ..
- Protection from GVHD with Gene-Modified Donor T CellsRichard Nash; Fiscal Year: 2008....