Genomes and Genes
Summary: Neurotoxic isoxazole isolated from Amanita muscaria and A. phalloides and also obtained by decarboxylation of IBOTENIC ACID. It is a potent agonist at GABA-A receptors and is used mainly as an experimental tool in animal and tissue studies.
Publications301 found, 100 shown here
- Forebrain circuitry involved in effort-related choice: Injections of the GABAA agonist muscimol into ventral pallidum alter response allocation in food-seeking behaviorA M Farrar
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 1020, USA
Neuroscience 152:321-30. 2008..In the present experiments, infusions of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol (5.0-10...
- A change in the density of [(3)H]flumazenil, but not [(3)H]muscimol binding, in Brodmann's Area 9 from subjects with bipolar disorderB Dean
The Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, The Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Affect Disord 66:147-58. 2001..This study examines the hypothesis that there are changes in cortical serotonergic, GABAergic and glutamatergic systems in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia...
- Muscimol, AP5, or scopolamine infused into perirhinal cortex impairs two-choice visual discrimination learning in ratsBoyer D Winters
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Downing St, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Neurobiol Learn Mem 93:221-8. 2010..In Experiment 1, daily pre-training inactivation of PRh with the GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol (0.5 microg/hemisphere) significantly impaired acquisition of the two-choice visual discrimination...
- Autoradiographic evidence for the transmeningeal diffusion of muscimol into the neocortex in ratsNandor Ludvig
NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New York University School of Medicine NYU Langone Medical Center, 223 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Brain Res 1441:1-8. 2012Electrophysiological and behavioral studies have demonstrated that muscimol administered through the cranial meninges can prevent focal neocortical seizures...
- Alterations of muscarinic and GABA receptor binding in the posterior cingulate cortex in schizophreniaKelly A Newell
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, NSW 2522, Australia
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:225-33. 2007..we used quantitative autoradiography to investigate the binding of [(3)H]pirenzepine, [(3)H]AF-DX 384 and [(3)H]muscimol, which respectively label M1/4 and M2/4 muscarinic and GABA(A) receptors, in the PCC of schizophrenia and control ..
- Medial prefrontal cortex determines how stressor controllability affects behavior and dorsal raphe nucleusJ Amat
Department of Psychology, Campus Box 345, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80903 0345, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:365-71. 2005..This suggests a new function for the mPFCv and implies that the presence of control inhibits stress-induced neural activity in brainstem nuclei, in contrast to the prevalent view that such activity is induced by a lack of control...
- Nucleus accumbens opioid, GABaergic, and dopaminergic modulation of palatable food motivation: contrasting effects revealed by a progressive ratio study in the ratMin Zhang
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, 53715, USA
Behav Neurosci 117:202-11. 2003..agonist amphetamine induced a marked increase in break point and correct lever-presses; the GABA(A) agonist muscimol did not affect breakpoint or lever-presses...
- Muscimol infusions in the brain stem reticular formation reversibly block ingestion in the awake ratZ Chen
College of Dentistry, Section of Oral Biology, Ohio State University, 305 W. at 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43218, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R1085-94. 2001..Small volumes of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol bilaterally infused into the lateral medullary RF significantly reduced licking and oral rejection responses ..
- Testing basal ganglia motor functions through reversible inactivations in the posterior internal globus pallidusM Desmurget
Department of Neurobiology, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, University of Pittsburgh, 3501 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:1057-76. 2008..current hypotheses on the contribution of the basal ganglia (BG) to motor control, we examined the effects of muscimol-induced inactivations in the skeletomotor region of the internal globus pallidus (sGPi) on visually directed ..
- Hippocampus and Pavlovian fear conditioning in rats: muscimol infusions into the ventral, but not dorsal, hippocampus impair the acquisition of conditional freezing to an auditory conditional stimulusStephen Maren
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1109, USA
Behav Neurosci 118:97-110. 2004..Freezing behavior served as the measure of fear. Pretraining infusions of muscimol, a GABAA receptor agonist, into the VH disrupted auditory, but not contextual, fear conditioning; DH infusions ..
- Neurons in the thalamic CM-Pf complex supply striatal neurons with information about behaviorally significant sensory eventsN Matsumoto
Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka University, Osaka 560-0043, Japan
J Neurophysiol 85:960-76. 2001..Inactivation of neuronal activity in the CM and Pf by local infusion of the GABA(A) receptor agonist, muscimol, almost completely abolished the pause and rebound facilitatory responses of TANs in the striatum...
- The K+/Cl- co-transporter KCC2 renders GABA hyperpolarizing during neuronal maturationC Rivera
Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Nature 397:251-5. 1999..These data support the conclusion that KCC2 is the main Cl- extruder to promote fast hyperpolarizing postsynaptic inhibition in the brain...
- Which cue to "want?" Central amygdala opioid activation enhances and focuses incentive salience on a prepotent reward cueStephen V Mahler
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 29:6500-13. 2009..Conversely, inactivation of CeA by muscimol microinjection (0.25 microg) suppressed approach, nibbles, and sniffs of the prepotent CS...
- Ventral hippocampal muscimol disrupts context-specific fear memory retrieval after extinction in ratsJennifer A Hobin
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Hippocampus 16:174-82. 2006..Experiment 1 showed that ventral hippocampal inactivation with muscimol disrupted context-specific fear memory retrieval...
- Image-guided convection-enhanced delivery of muscimol to the primate brainJohn D Heiss
Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1414, USA
J Neurosurg 112:790-5. 2010b>Muscimol is a potent gamma-aminobutyric acid-A receptor agonist that temporarily and selectively suppresses neurons...
- Medial auditory thalamic input to the lateral pontine nuclei is necessary for auditory eyeblink conditioningHunter E Halverson
Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 93:92-8. 2010..An additional session was given with a muscimol (0.5muL, 10mM) or saline infusion targeting the LPN followed by a recovery session with no infusions...
- Differential roles of monkey striatum in learning of sequential hand movementS Miyachi
Laboratory of Neural Control, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Exp Brain Res 115:1-5. 1997..We injected muscimol (a GABA agonist) into different parts of the striatum to inactivate the local neural activity reversibly...
- Orexin A mediation of time spent moving in rats: neural mechanismsC M Kotz
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Care 11G, One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Neuroscience 142:29-36. 2006..Orexin A affects local GABA release and we co-injected orexin A with a GABA agonist, muscimol, in each brain site...
- Increases in [3H]muscimol and [3H]flumazenil binding in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia are linked to α4 and γ2S mRNA levels respectivelyMathieu Verdurand
Schizophrenia Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e52724. 2013..GABA orthosteric and the benzodiazepine allosteric binding sites were assessed autoradiographically using [(3)H]Muscimol and [(3)H]Flumazenil, respectively, in a large cohort of individuals with schizophrenia (n = 37) and their ..
- Inactivation of the infralimbic prefrontal cortex reinstates goal-directed responding in overtrained ratsEtienne Coutureau
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, PO Box 901, Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3YG, UK
Behav Brain Res 146:167-74. 2003..Before these tests, half of the animals received bilateral infusions of muscimol into the infralimbic cortex, and the remainder, control vehicle infusions...
- Changes of [3H]MK-801, [3H]muscimol and [3H]flunitrazepam binding in rat brain by the prolonged ventricular infusion of transformed ginsenosidesSoyong Jang
Department of Neuroscience, College of Medicine, Ewha University, Seoul, Korea
Neurochem Res 29:2257-66. 2004..by quantitative autoradiography using [3H]MK-801 binding, and GABAA receptor bindings were analyzed by using [3H]muscimol and [3H]flunitrazepam binding in rat brain slices...
- Role of auditory cortex in sound localization in the midsagittal planeJennifer K Bizley
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Sherrington Building, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Neurophysiol 98:1763-74. 2007..This was achieved either by subdural placement of Elvax implants containing the GABA A receptor agonist muscimol or by making aspiration lesions after determining the approximate location of A1 electrophysiologically...
- Activation of a subpopulation of orexin/hypocretin-containing hypothalamic neurons by GABAA receptor-mediated inhibition of the nucleus accumbens shell, but not by exposure to a novel environmentBrian A Baldo
Department of Psychiatry, University of Madison Wisconsin, School of Medicine, 6001 Research Park Blvd, Madison, Wisconsin 53719, USA
Eur J Neurosci 19:376-86. 2004..orexin/hypocretin- or melanin concentrating hormone-immunoreactive neurons in this effect, the GABAA agonist, muscimol (0, 50 ng), was infused directly into the nucleus accumbens shell of rats; 90 min later, their brains were ..
- Increases in food intake or food-seeking behavior induced by GABAergic, opioid, or dopaminergic stimulation of the nucleus accumbens: is it hunger?Erin C Hanlon
Neuroscience Training Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, 6001 Research Park Boulevard, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172:241-7. 2004..However, it is not known whether such stimulation mimics a motivational state of food deprivation that commonly enables animals to learn a new operant response to obtain food...
- Evidence of a functional relationship between the nucleus accumbens shell and lateral hypothalamus subserving the control of feeding behaviorT R Stratford
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53719, USA
J Neurosci 19:11040-8. 1999..Injections of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol into the AcbSh greatly increased the number of cells exhibiting Fos-like immunoreactivity in the LH, as well as ..
- Lidocaine and muscimol microinjections in subthalamic nucleus reverse Parkinsonian symptomsR Levy
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Brain 124:2105-18. 2001..In this study, microinjections of lidocaine (n = 4) and muscimol, a GABA(A) receptor agonist (n = 2), were performed in the STN of six patients with Parkinson's disease to ..
- Differential involvement of orbitofrontal cortex subregions in conditioned cue-induced and cocaine-primed reinstatement of cocaine seeking in ratsRita A Fuchs
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 24:6600-10. 2004..sham lesions of the lateral OFC (lOFC) or medial OFC (mOFC) before self-administration training (experiment 1) or muscimol plus baclofen (0.1 and 1...
- Prototypic GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol acts preferentially through forebrain high-affinity binding sitesDev Chandra
Departments of Anesthesiology and Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:999-1007. 2010b>Muscimol has been regarded as a universal agonist for all gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor (GABA(A)-R) subtypes...
- Amygdala-dependent and amygdala-independent pathways for contextual fear conditioningR Ponnusamy
Psychology and the Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neuroscience 147:919-27. 2007..Normally, learning is dominated by the more efficient primary pathway, which prevents learning in the alternate pathway. However, alternate pathways compensate when the dominant pathway is compromised...
- Trace and contextual fear conditioning require neural activity and NMDA receptor-dependent transmission in the medial prefrontal cortexMarieke R Gilmartin
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211, USA
Learn Mem 17:289-96. 2010..of trace fear conditioning using microinfusions of the gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA(A)) receptor agonist muscimol. We also investigated the role of prefrontal N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor-mediated signaling in trace ..
- Posterior dorsomedial striatum is critical for both selective instrumental and Pavlovian reward learningLaura H Corbit
Ernest Gallo Clinic and Research Center, University of California at San Francisco, 5858 Horton Street Suite 200, Emeryville, CA 94698, USA
Eur J Neurosci 31:1312-21. 2010..Finally, we demonstrate that both S-O and R-O associations are required for selective Pavlovian-instrumental transfer...
- The GABAA agonist muscimol attenuates induced airway constriction in guinea pigs in vivoNeil R Gleason
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1257-63. 2009..Airway smooth muscle cell membrane hyperpolarization contributes to relaxation. We hypothesized that muscimol, a selective GABA(A) agonist, could act on endogenous GABA(A) channels expressed on airway smooth muscle to ..
- Role of ventral medial prefrontal cortex in incubation of cocaine cravingEisuke Koya
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, IRP NIDA NIH DHHS, 251 Bayview Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropharmacology 56:177-85. 2009..After 30 withdrawal days, ventral but not dorsal injections of muscimol+baclofen (GABAa+GABAb receptor agonists that inhibit neuronal activity) decreased extinction responding...
- Deficits in saccades and fixation during muscimol inactivation of the caudal fastigial nucleus in the rhesus monkeyLaurent Goffart
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurophysiol 92:3351-67. 2004..They missed the target with an error that depended on saccade duration or amplitude. If any, the effects of muscimol injections on the vertical component of oblique saccades were very small...
- GABA and its agonists improved visual cortical function in senescent monkeysAudie G Leventhal
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Science 300:812-5. 2003..of electrophoretic application of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), the GABA type a (GABAa) receptor agonist muscimol, and the GABAa receptor antagonist bicuculline, respectively, on the properties of individual V1 cells in old ..
- Trace and contextual fear conditioning are impaired following unilateral microinjection of muscimol in the ventral hippocampus or amygdala, but not the medial prefrontal cortexMarieke R Gilmartin
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2441 E Hartford Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 97:452-64. 2012..Nonetheless, our findings suggest that the trace fear network is more integrated than previously thought...
- NMDA receptor-dependent processes in the medial prefrontal cortex are important for acquisition and the early stage of consolidation during trace, but not delay eyeblink conditioningKaori Takehara-Nishiuchi
Laboratory of Neurobiophysics, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Learn Mem 12:606-14. 2005..processes both during and after daily conditioning using local microinfusion of the GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol or the NMDA receptor antagonist APV into the rat mPFC...
- Desire and dread from the nucleus accumbens: cortical glutamate and subcortical GABA differentially generate motivation and hedonic impact in the ratAlexis Faure
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e11223. 2010..However, GABA and glutamate signals in NAc differ in important ways, despite the similarity of their rostrocaudal motivation gradients...
- Frontal eye field activity enhances object identification during covert visual searchIlya E Monosov
Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research, National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neurophysiol 102:3656-72. 2009..A minimum level of selectivity was necessary for target detection and a higher level for target identification. Muscimol inactivation of FEF produced spatially selective perceptual deficits in the covert search task that were ..
- Motor sequences and the basal ganglia: kinematics, not habitsMichel Desmurget
Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience, UMR5229, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Bron, France
J Neurosci 30:7685-90. 2010..Infusion of muscimol (a GABA(A) agonist) into sGPi caused dysmetria and slowing of individual movements, but these impairments were ..
- Intra-amygdala muscimol injections impair freezing and place avoidance in aversive contextual conditioningMatthew R Holahan
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
Learn Mem 11:436-46. 2004..Amygdala inactivation with bilateral muscimol injections before training attenuated freezing and eliminated avoidance during the test...
- Chronic stimulation of GABAA receptor with muscimol reduces amyloid beta protein (25-35)-induced neurotoxicity in cultured rat cortical cellsBo Young Lee
College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute of Herbal Medicine, Chungbuk National University, 12 Gaesin Dong, Heungduk gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Res 52:347-56. 2005..Pretreatment with muscimol, a GABAA receptor agonist, over a concentration range of 0...
- Enhancement of conditioned fear extinction by infusion of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol into the rat prefrontal cortex and amygdalaIrit Akirav
Department of Neurobiology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Eur J Neurosci 23:758-64. 2006..We microinfused a low dose of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol into the IL or BLA...
- Local distribution and toxicity of prolonged hippocampal infusion of muscimolJohn D Heiss
Surgical Neurology Branch, Electroencephalography Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1414, USA
J Neurosurg 103:1035-45. 2005..seizures and to test the efficacy and safety of regional selective neuronal suppression, the authors infused muscimol, a GABA-A receptor agonist, directly into the hippocampus of nonhuman primates using an integrated catheter ..
- Differential effects of bicuculline and muscimol microinjections into the nucleus basalis magnocellularis in taste and place aversive memory formationI Moron
Department of Experimental Psychology and Physiology of Behavior, University of Granada, Campus Cartuja, Granada 18071, Spain
Behav Brain Res 134:425-31. 2002..05 microg) and the GABAergic agonist muscimol (0.05 microg) into the NBM of male Wistar rats were assessed in CTA and IA learning...
- Conditioned and unconditioned fear organized in the periaqueductal gray are differentially sensitive to injections of muscimol into amygdaloid nucleiRaquel Chacon Ruiz Martinez
Laboratorio de Psicobiologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 14040 901 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 85:58-65. 2006..Each rat also bore a cannula implanted in the LaA, BLA or CeA for injections of muscimol (0.5 microg/0.5 microL) or its vehicle...
- Effects of rat ventral and dorsal hippocampus temporal inactivation on delayed alternation taskK Maruki
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Saitama Medical School, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
Brain Res 895:273-6. 2001..hippocampal regions in a operant-type delayed alternation task of short delay or long delay, microinjections of muscimol into the hippocampus were used for temporal inactivation during the behavioral test in each rat...
- Medial auditory thalamus inactivation prevents acquisition and retention of eyeblink conditioningHunter E Halverson
Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Learn Mem 15:532-8. 2008..Rats were given saline or muscimol infusions into the MATN contralateral to the trained eye before each of four conditioning sessions with an ..
- Injection of muscimol, a GABAa agonist into the anterior thalamic nucleus, suppresses hippocampal neurogenesis in amygdala-kindled ratsSatoshi Kuramoto
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Neurol Res 31:407-13. 2009..in the subgranular zone of the hippocampus were explored using unilateral amygdala-kindled rats with or without muscimol, a gamma-aminobutyric acid a (GABAa) agonist injection into the bilateral anterior thalamic nuclei (AN)...
- Reevaluating the role of the medial prefrontal cortex in delay eyeblink conditioningGuang Yan Wu
Department of Physiology, College of Basic Medical Sciences, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, PR China
Neurobiol Learn Mem 97:277-88. 2012..of the mPFC in DEC with a soft or loud tone as the conditioned stimulus (CS) by using electrolytic lesions or muscimol inactivation of guinea pig mPFC...
- Quantum dot conjugates of GABA and muscimol: binding to α1β2γ2 and ρ1 GABA(A) receptorsHélène A Gussin
Lions of Illinois Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
ACS Chem Neurosci 4:435-43. 2013..nanocrystal (quantum dot; qdot) conjugated to pegylated derivatives of the GABA receptor agonists GABA and muscimol (GABA-qdots and muscimol-qdots, respectively)...
- Effect of cerebellar reversible inactivations on the acquisition of trace conditioned eyeblink responses in guinea pigs: comparison of short and long trace intervalsBo Hu
Department of Neurosurgery, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Neurosci Lett 459:41-5. 2009..It was found that inactivations of the left intermediate cerebellum with a GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol during training completely prevented the acquisition of TEBC using a relatively short (50 ms) TI, instead of the ..
- Muscimol state-dependent memory: involvement of dorsal hippocampal mu-opioid receptorsMajid Jafari-Sabet
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
Behav Brain Res 202:5-10. 2009..agonist and intra-dorsal hippocampal (intra-CA1) injections of naloxone, a mu-opioid receptor antagonist on muscimol state-dependent memory were examined in mice...
- Three-dimensional eye-head coordination after injection of muscimol into the interstitial nucleus of Cajal (INC)Farshad Farshadmanesh
York Center for Vision Research, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group for Action and Perception, Departments of Psychology, Biology, and Kinesiology and Health Sciences York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurophysiol 97:2322-38. 2007..3 mul of 0.05% muscimol injection into 26 INC sites...
- Microinjection of muscimol into the periaqueductal gray suppresses cardiovascular and neuroendocrine response to air jet stress in conscious ratsRodrigo C A de Menezes
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indiana Univ School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R881-90. 2008Microinjection of the neuronal inhibitor muscimol into the dorsomedial hypothalamus (DMH) suppresses increases in heart rate (HR), mean arterial pressure (MAP), and circulating levels of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) evoked in air ..
- Learning deficits induced by sleep deprivation and recovery are not associated with altered [(3)H]muscimol and [(3)H]flunitrazepam bindingFrancisco Paulino Dubiela
Psychobiology Department, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Napoleao de Barros, 925 Vila Clementino, SP, 04024 002 São Paulo, Brazil
Brain Res 1037:157-63. 2005..3)H]muscimol and [(3)H]flunitrazepam binding were examined by quantitative autoradiography in 42 brain regions, including ..
- Intra-accumbens baclofen, but not muscimol, mimics the effects of food withdrawal on feeding behaviourK G T Pulman
Schools of Psychology, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 97:156-62. 2010..Here we compare the effects of the GABA(B) receptor agonist baclofen and GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol, infused into the nucleus accumbens shell, on food intake and related behavior patterns...
- The effects of bicuculline and muscimol on glutamate-induced feeding behavior in broiler cockerelsMorteza Zendehdel
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, 14155 6453 Tehran, Iran
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 195:715-20. 2009..examine the effects of intracerebroventricular (ICV) injection of bicuculline (GABA(A) receptor antagonist) and muscimol (GABA(A) receptor agonist) on glutamate-induced eating response in 24-h food-deprived (FD24) broiler cockerels...
- Injections of muscimol into the paraventricular thalamic nucleus, but not mediodorsal thalamic nuclei, induce feeding in ratsThomas R Stratford
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience and Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 West Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60607 7137, USA
Brain Res 1490:128-33. 2013..In the current study, we examined whether inhibition of cells in the PVT with the GABA(A) agonist muscimol could alter food intake in non-deprived rats...
- Modulation of conditioned fear, fear-conditioned analgesia, and brain regional c-Fos expression following administration of muscimol into the rat basolateral amygdalaKieran Rea
Pharmacology and Therapeutics, School of Medicine, NCBES Neuroscience Cluster and Centre for Pain Research, University Road, National University of Ireland, Galway
J Pain 12:712-21. 2011..In this study, we investigated the effects of intra-BLA administration of the GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol on the expression of conditioned-fear, formalin-evoked nociception, and fear-conditioned analgesia in rats, and ..
- Comparison of the antiepileptic properties of transmeningeally delivered muscimol, lidocaine, midazolam, pentobarbital and GABA, in ratsShirn L Baptiste
NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New York University School of Medicine, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York 10016, USA
Neurosci Lett 469:421-4. 2010This study compared the potencies of epidurally delivered muscimol, lidocaine, midazolam, pentobarbital and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) to prevent focal neocortical seizures induced by locally applied acetylcholine (Ach), in rats (n=5)...
- The role of orexin-1 receptors in physiologic responses evoked by microinjection of PgE2 or muscimol into the medial preoptic areaDaniel E Rusyniak
Department of Emergency Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Neurosci Lett 498:162-6. 2011..Microinjections of prostaglandin E2 (PgE2) or the GABA(A) agonist muscimol into the mPOA cause similar increases in body temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure...
- Changes of [3H]MK-801, [3H]muscimol and [3H]flunitrazepam binding in rat brain by the prolonged ventricular infusion of ginsenoside Rc and Rg1H S Kim
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, 361-763, Korea
Pharmacol Res 43:473-9. 2001..autoradiography using [(3)H]MK-801 binding, and the GABA(A)receptor bindings were analysed by using [(3)H]muscimol and [(3)H]flunitrazepam binding in rat brain slices...
- Intra-septal infusions of glucose potentiate inhibitory avoidance deficits when co-infused with the GABA agonist muscimolM B Parent
Department of Psychology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22903, USA
Brain Res 745:317-20. 1997This experiment examined the effects of co-infusions of glucose with the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) agonist muscimol into the medial septum on memory for inhibitory avoidance learning...
- Effects of benzodiazepine treatment on cortical GABA(A) and muscarinic receptors: studies in schizophrenia and ratsMark C McLeod
The Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, The Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Australia
Psychiatry Res 179:139-46. 2010..Further, the benzodiazepine binding site, but not the muscimol binding site, was decreased in the parietal cortex of subjects with schizophrenia independent of benzodiazepine ..
- Behavioral effects of bicuculline microinjection in the dorsal versus ventral hippocampal formation of rats, and control of seizures by nigral muscimolMarcelo Cairrão Araujo Rodrigues
Laboratório de Neurobiologia e Peçonhas, Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Epilepsy Res 58:155-65. 2004..This effect was partially reached by bicuculline injection in the DHF or VHF-AMY injection. Also: muscimol injection, but not GABA uptake blockers (nipecotic acid or a spider venom neurotoxin FrPbA2), into the SNPR ..
- Effects of muscimol, amphetamine, and DAMGO injected into the nucleus accumbens shell on food-reinforced lever pressing by undeprived ratsThomas R Stratford
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, M C 285, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 W Harrison St, Chicago, IL 60607 7137, United States
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 101:499-503. 2012..large increases in food intake in nondeprived animals can be induced by injections of both the GABA(A) agonist muscimol and the μ-opioid agonist DAMGO into the nucleus accumbens shell (AcbSh), while injections of the catecholamine ..
- Microinjection of muscimol into raphe pallidus suppresses tachycardia associated with air stress in conscious ratsDmitry V Zaretsky
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Physiol 546:243-50. 2003..hypothalamus can be suppressed by microinjection of the GABA(A) receptor agonist and neuronal inhibitor muscimol into the raphe pallidus (RP)...
- Effects of spinal administration of muscimol on C- and A-fibre evoked neuronal responses of spinal dorsal horn neurones in control and nerve injured ratsDavid M Sokal
Queens Medical Centre, School of Biomedical Sciences, E Floor, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Brain Res 962:213-20. 2003..Effects of spinal administration of the GABA(A)-receptor agonist muscimol (0...
- FOS expression in orexin neurons following muscimol perfusion of preoptic areaShinsuke Satoh
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 8686, Japan
Neuroreport 15:1127-31. 2004Unilateral microdialysis-perfusion of the preoptic area with 50 microM muscimol decreased the sleep period of rats to less than 3% of the baseline value over a 90 min period before death (p = 0.018 by Wilcoxon signed-rank test)...
- Expression of a conditioned place preference or spatial navigation task following muscimol-induced inactivations of the amygdala or dorsal hippocampus: A double dissociation in the retrograde directionRobert J McDonald
Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Brain Res Bull 83:29-37. 2010..Taken together, the results showed a functional dissociation between the, effects of amygdala or hippocampal dysfunction on the expression of these different classes of tasks...
- Suppression of third ventricular NPY-elicited feeding following medullary reticular formation infusions of muscimolJoseph B Travers
Division of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Behav Neurosci 124:225-33. 2010..neuropeptide Y 3-36 in awake, freely moving rats and determined whether focal RF infusions of the GABAA agonist muscimol suppressed eating...
- Injection of muscimol in dorsomedial hypothalamus and stress-induced Fos expression in paraventricular nucleusS M Morin
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Program in Medical Neurobiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R1276-84. 2001Prior microinjection of the GABA(A)-receptor agonist muscimol into the dorsomedial hypothalamus (DMH) in conscious rats attenuates the increases in heart rate, blood pressure, and circulating adrenocorticotrophic hormone seen in air ..
- Evidence for motivational effects elicited by activation of GABA-A or dopamine receptors in the nucleus accumbens shellDavid Wirtshafter
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience, Department of Psychology M C 285, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 West Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60607 7137, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 96:342-6. 2010Microinjections of the inhibitory GABA-A receptor agonist muscimol into the shell region of the nucleus accumbens (AcbSh) have been reported to induce large increases in food intake, but the effect of these injections on motivational ..
- Activation of feeding-related neural circuitry after unilateral injections of muscimol into the nucleus accumbens shellThomas R Stratford
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 West Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60607 7137, USA
Brain Res 1048:241-50. 2005..study, we used the immunohistochemical localization of Fos protein to map neuronal activation after unilateral muscimol injections into the AcbSh to determine whether AcbSh-mediated Fos expression remains lateralized in the circuit ..
- Intraseptal infusions of muscimol impair spontaneous alternation performance: infusions of glucose into the hippocampus, but not the medial septum, reverse the deficitM B Parent
Department of Psychology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22903, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 68:75-85. 1997..The findings of Experiment 1 showed, in male Sprague-Dawley rats, that intraseptal infusions of the GABA agonist muscimol (1 or 3 nmol/0.5 microliter) impaired spontaneous alternation performance...
- Head-unrestrained gaze shifts after muscimol injection in the caudal fastigial nucleus of the monkeyJulie Quinet
Unité 534, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université Claude Bernard Lyon, France
J Neurophysiol 98:3269-83. 2007..After muscimol injection, the eye component was hypermetric during ipsilesional gaze shifts, hypometric during contralesional ..
- The ventral hippocampus and fear conditioning in rats. Different anterograde amnesias of fear after tetrodotoxin inactivation and infusion of the GABA(A) agonist muscimolT Bast
Behavioral Neurobiology Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Schwerzenbach
Exp Brain Res 139:39-52. 2001..Tetrodotoxin (TTX; 10 ng/side), which completely blocks neuronal activity, or muscimol (1 microg/side), which increases GABA(A) receptor-mediated inhibition, were bilaterally infused into the ventral ..
- Intrahippocampal muscimol shifts learning strategy in gonadally intact young adult female ratsMolly W McElroy
Neuroscience Program and Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
Learn Mem 12:150-8. 2005..On the day of training, rats received 0.3 microL intrahippocampal infusions of muscimol (0.26 nmol or 2...
- Microinjection of muscimol into caudal periaqueductal gray lowers body temperature and attenuates increases in temperature and activity evoked from the dorsomedial hypothalamusRodrigo C A de Menezes
Laboratório de Hipertensão, Department de Fisiol e Biofísica, ICB UFMG, Brazil
Brain Res 1092:129-37. 2006Microinjection of the neuronal inhibitor muscimol into the midbrain lateral/dorsolateral periaqueductal gray (l/dlPAG) suppresses increases in heart rate (HR) and mean arterial pressure (MAP) evoked by microinjection of the GABA(A) ..
- In vitro and in vivo effects of GABA, muscimol, and bicuculline on lamprey GnRH concentration in the brain of the sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus)Adam R Root
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of New Hampshire, 46 College Road, Room 310, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 138:493-501. 2004..There was a substantial increase of GnRH-I and GnRH-III following treatment of muscimol at 100 microM...
- Vestibular-pursuit interactions: gaze-velocity and target-velocity signals in the monkey frontal eye fieldsK Fukushima
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 871:248-59. 1999..b>Muscimol infusion into the FEF pursuit areas severely impaired smooth gaze tracking...
- Involvement of GABAA receptors in the regulation of the prefrontal cortex on dopamine release in the rat dorsolateral striatumMachiko Matsumoto
First Department of Pharmacology, Hokkaido University, Graduate School of Medicine, Kita 15, Nishi 7, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 482:177-84. 2003..03 and 0.1 mM) increased the striatal dopamine release, whereas the GABA(A) receptor agonist muscimol (0.1 and 1 mM) reduced the release dose dependently. Co-perfusion of muscimol (0...
- Exogenous brain-derived neurotrophic factor prevents postischemic downregulation of [3H]muscimol binding to GABA(A) receptors in the cortical penumbraClemens Sommer
Department of Neuropathology, Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 111:24-30. 2003..Using quantitative receptor autoradiography, postischemic ligand binding of [(3)H]MK-801, [(3)H]AMPA and [(3)H]muscimol was analyzed in the ischemic core, the ischemic cortical penumbra and corresponding regions of the contralateral ..
- Muscimol in the deep layers of the superior colliculus/mesencephalic reticular formation blocks expression but not acquisition of fear-potentiated startle in ratsE G Meloni
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Behav Neurosci 113:1152-60. 1999..with cannulas into the deep SC/Me and trained for fear-potentiated startle after infusion of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol (0.1 microg/0.5 microl). Two days later, they were tested for fear-potentiated startle...
- Hippocampal infusions of pyruvate reverse the memory-impairing effects of septal muscimol infusionsDesiree L Krebs
Department of Psychology and Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, P O Box 3966, Atlanta, Georgia 30302 3966, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 520:91-9. 2005..Sprague-Dawley rats were given septal infusions of vehicle or the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptor agonist muscimol (0...
- Effect of histamine on muscimol-induced working memory deficits in radial maze performanceYasuko Yamamoto
Department of Medicinal Pharmacology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 104:252-7. 2007..The intra-septal injection of muscimol, a GABA(A) agonist, caused an increase in total error and working memory error...
- Muscimol inactivation caudal to the interstitial nucleus of Cajal induces hemi-seesaw nystagmusVallabh E Das
College of Optometry, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
Exp Brain Res 205:405-13. 2010..in Exp Brain Res 119(4):436-452 (1998), who inactivated INC in monkeys with muscimol (a GABA(A) agonist) and induced failure of vertical gaze-holding (neural integrator) function but not hemi-SSN...
- Reversible inactivation of the entorhinal cortex disrupts the establishment and expression of latent inhibition of cued fear conditioning in C57BL/6 miceMichael C Lewis
Psychology Department Neuroscience Program, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
Hippocampus 17:462-70. 2007..The present study used reversible inactivation of the EC to address this issue. The GABA agonist muscimol (0.5 microg/side) was directly infused into the EC of mice prior to CS preexposure, training, or testing...
- Intracisternal or intrathecal glycine, taurine, or muscimol inhibit bicuculline-induced allodynia and thermal hyperalgesia in miceIl Ok Lee
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Acta Pharmacol Sin 31:907-14. 2010..To investigate the effects of GABA and glycine on analgesia in the central nervous system...
- Fine discrimination training alters the causal contribution of macaque area MT to depth perceptionSyed A Chowdhury
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Neuron 60:367-77. 2008..These findings show that the contribution of particular brain area to task performance can change dramatically as a result of learning new tasks...
- Imaging the spread of reversible brain inactivations using fluorescent muscimolTimothy A Allen
Department of Psychology, Yale University, 2 Hillhouse Avenue, New Haven, CT 06520, United States
J Neurosci Methods 171:30-8. 2008b>Muscimol is a GABA A-agonist that causes rapid and reversible suppression of neurophysiological activity...
- Fear and feeding in the nucleus accumbens shell: rostrocaudal segregation of GABA-elicited defensive behavior versus eating behaviorS M Reynolds
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 21:3261-70. 2001..Microinjections of a GABA(A) agonist (0, 25, 75, and 225 ng/0.5 microl muscimol) in rostral shell sites elicited appetitive increases in eating behavior...
- Evidence for an extended duration of GABA-mediated excitation in the developing male versus female hippocampusJoseph L Nunez
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Dev Neurobiol 67:1879-90. 2007..This converging evidence infers that sex affects the duration of GABA(A) receptor-mediated excitation during normal hippocampal development, and provides a mechanism by which the effect is mediated...
- Positive and negative motivation in nucleus accumbens shell: bivalent rostrocaudal gradients for GABA-elicited eating, taste "liking"/"disliking" reactions, place preference/avoidance, and fearSheila M Reynolds
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1109, USA
J Neurosci 22:7308-20. 2002Microinjection of the GABA(A) agonist muscimol in the rostral medial accumbens shell in rats elicits appetitive eating behavior, but in the caudal shell instead elicits fearful defensive treading behavior...
- Inactivation of dorsolateral striatum enhances sensitivity to changes in the action-outcome contingency in instrumental conditioningHenry H Yin
Laboratory for Integrative Neuroscience, NIAAA NIH, 5625 Fishers Lane, Room TS 13, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Behav Brain Res 166:189-96. 2006..into the DLS prior to this training whereas the remainder received an infusion of the GABA-A receptor agonist muscimol. On the next day, the effect of these treatments was assessed on a probe test in which the tendency of the ..
- A potent non-monoaminergic paradoxical sleep inhibitory system: a reverse microdialysis and single-unit recording studySylvain Crochet
Laboratory of Sensory Processing, Brain and Mind Institute, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, EPFL SV BMI AAB105, Bat AAB, Station 15, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 24:1404-12. 2006..We found that muscimol, a GABAA receptor agonist, induced a significant increase in paradoxical sleep (PS) only when applied to a ..
- A role for the prefrontal cortex in recall of recent and remote memoriesSonja Blum
The Vivian L Smith Center for Neurologic Research, The University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Neuroreport 17:341-4. 2006....
- Participation of caudal fastigial nucleus in smooth pursuit eye movements. II. Effects of muscimol inactivationF R Robinson
Department of Physiology and Biophysics and Regional Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7330, USA
J Neurophysiol 78:848-59. 1997..We injected the gamma-aminobutyric acid A agonist muscimol into one or both CFNs where we had recorded pursuit-related neurons a few minutes earlier...
- GABAergic processes in the mesencephalic tegmentum modulate the occurrence of active (rapid eye movement) sleep in guinea pigsG Vanini
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de la Republica, Av Gral Flores 2125, 11800, Montevideo, Uruguay
Neuroscience 145:1157-67. 2007..In order to determine the effects on AS of the suppression of neuronal activity in these regions, muscimol, a GABA receptor A (GABA(A)) receptor agonist, and bicuculline, a GABA(A) receptor antagonist, were microinjected ..
- Temporary inactivation of ventral tegmental area neurons with either muscimol or baclofen reversibly disrupts maternal behavior in rats through different underlying mechanismsMichael Numan
Department of Psychology, Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
Behav Neurosci 123:740-51. 2009..Because VTA neurons contain GABA-A and GABA-B receptors, the effects of muscimol or baclofen were studied...
- Coordination of orofacial and respiratory movementsDetlef H Heck; Fiscal Year: 2012..and ataxic mice and in normal mice during reversible inactivation of the deep cerebellar nuclei (DCN) through muscimol injections...
- GABA channels and dopamine in striatumStefano Vicini; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, the systemic administration of the GABAA receptor agonist muscimol, increased locomotor activity in dopamine receptor D2 knockout mice, a model of Parkinson's disease while ..
- Suprachiasmatic Nucleus Output Pathway for Learning and MemoryH Craig Heller; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is a robust literature showing that the GABAA agonist, muscimol, reduces synaptic excitability in the hippocampus and impairs memory...
- Convergent Versus Parallel Striatal AfferentsDaniel S Zahm; Fiscal Year: 2013..c.) was blocked by an LPO infusion of the GABA A agonist muscimol. Insofar as locomotor activation is viewed as a behavioral expression of a sense of impending consummation from ..
- Limbic-Basal Ganglia Circuitry in PTSDLudise Malkova; Fiscal Year: 2013..the proposed experiments, we will use the method of intracerebral focal drug infusions of either the GABA agonist muscimol or the GABA antagonist bicuculline aimed at various sites within either amygdala or DLSC to test further the role ..
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF ANOREXIAAlan G Watts; Fiscal Year: 2012..They are: 1) Information encoding nucleus accumbens shell (ACBsh)-muscimol and 2-deoxy-D-glucose- driven feeding converges onto the same neurons in the LHA and PVH;2) ACBsh-muscimol ..
- BINOCULAR COORDINATION OF EYE MOVEMENTSVallabh E Das; Fiscal Year: 2012..2, we will perform unilateral and bilateral inactivation of the left and right FN and PIN using the GABAA agonist muscimol. The overall goal of these experiments is to determine relative functional contribution of the two target ..
- Interactions between the ventral hippocampus and amygdala during renewal of fearCAITLIN ANNE ORSINI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Microinfusions of the GABA agonist muscimol will be made into the VH in one hemisphere and the BA in the contralateral hemisphere prior to a retrieval test ..
- Unique pharmacology of ligand sites on delta subunit-containing GABA-A receptorsMartin Wallner; Fiscal Year: 2013..with a rather dramatic (~1000-fold) increase in sensitivity for the GABA structural analogs THIP/gaboxadol and muscimol. The hypothesis is that in recombinant expression systems there are proteins missing that promote efficient ..
- Basal Ganglia Involvement in Conditioning the Trace Eyeblink ReflexLuke C Flores; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings from these experiments will guide a third study in which muscimol will be infused into the caudate nucleus in order to determine whether the basal ganglia is essential for the ..
- PHENCYCLIDINE: A BEHAVIORAL AND NEUROCHEMICAL STUDYHerbert Meltzer; Fiscal Year: 1980..antagonized the behavioral effects of PCP but other drugs with GABA agonist properties, diazepam and muscimol, increased PCP ataxia...
- NEUROCHEMICALS IN HYPOTHALAMIC SIGNALING AFTER COITUSK Y Pau; Fiscal Year: 2000..The P.I. will administer a specific ACH blocker ( alpha-conotoxin) and GABAA agonist (muscimol) either locally into the hypothalamus or into the 4th ventricle near brainstem-relevant neurons...
- The Role of Amygdala-Cortical Cooperation in Taste Processing and LearningCaitlin E Piette; Fiscal Year: 2011..BLA;another brain region known to be involved in the perception of tastes) is temporarily inactivated using muscimol in awake rats receiving a range of taste solutions that vary in palatability...
- Effects of Reversible Lesions on Resting fMRI in Awake MacaquesEric F Mooshagian; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently, rs-fMRI in non-human primates has revealed cortical networks similar to those observed in humans. Muscimol, a GABAA agonist, can be injected into tissue to inhibit local activity, and the sites of inactivation can be ..
- Amygdala-cortical interactions in taste perception and learningDonald B Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..responses depends upon amygdala-cortical connectivity by knocking out BLA (using infusions of the GABA agonist muscimol) in awake rats as they (the rats) respond to naturally palatable and aversive tastes...
- Identifying the neural mechanisms for learning hippocampal spatial mapsMARK PAUL BRANDON; Fiscal Year: 2013..in a familiar and a novel environment during temporary inactivation of the medial septum with muscimol. We already know that muscimol inactivation of the medial septum simultaneously eliminates theta oscillations and ..
- Pain Suppression via Area 3a LesionBarry L Whitsel; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the contralateral hand will be reversibly inactivated in test sessions by topical application of GABA agonist muscimol or by local cortical cooling...
- DOPAMINE RECEPTOR SUBTYPES & FUNCTIONEmanuel Meller; Fiscal Year: 1993..s.) and intranigral injection of the GABA antagonist picrotoxin and the GABA agonist muscimol, respectively...
- Corticostriatal Processing of Taste, Motivation and Self-Control of Food IntakeMark Laubach; Fiscal Year: 2013..These predictions will be tested using fluorescent muscimol and an optogenetic neuronal silencer (ArchT) to reversibly inactivate the two cortical regions during a ..
- HIPPOCAMPAL AND CORTICAL CODING IN MEMORYHoward B Eichenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..that compares information encoded in multiple areas and identifies their synchronized activity, and reversible muscimol and optogenetic inactivation combined with recording that explores how neural coding in one area depends on other ..
- BASAL GANGLIA CONTROL OF POSTURE AND MOVEMENTJonathan Mink; Fiscal Year: 1999..The basal ganglia will be mapped carefully by injecting small amounts of the GABA agonist muscimol in awake, behaving monkeys to temporarily inactivate discrete areas of these nuclei...
- Center on Interoceptive Dysregulation in Addiction (CIDIA)Martin P Paulus; Fiscal Year: 2013..aversive effects in a rodent model using "insula silencing" via reversible inactivation of neural activity with muscimol;and (3) To integrate results of animal and human studies and provide translational predictions by (a) developing ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL CORRELATES OF CEREBELLAR DEVELOPMENTAndrej Rotter; Fiscal Year: 1992..GABA/BZ receptor binding sites will be autoradiographically localized with the receptor specific ligands, [3H]muscimol and [3H]flunitrazepam; the GABA/BZ receptor protein will be anatomically localized with the de las 62-3G1 anti-..
- Anesthetics, GABA and the Injured BrainDavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aims: 1) Define a dose-response for isoflurane protection during rat forebrain ischemia/Compare with efficacy of muscimol, a GABAA receptor agonist/Compare with time to onset of ischemic depolarization and pre-ischemic cerebral ..
- ANESTHETIC MECHANISMS BY IN VIVO BRAIN IMAGINGFerenc Gyulai; Fiscal Year: 2004..in the living brain, we propose to test the specific hypothesis in non-human primates that the GABAA-R agonist muscimol enhances 11C-FMZ binding in a dose-dependent manner, as has been shown in in vitro studies...
- OXYTOCIN REGULATION BY NEUROSTEROIDS & GABA-A RECEPTORJanet Amico; Fiscal Year: 2003..abundance of OT mRNA and GABAA receptor subunit mRNAs and measure by in vitro receptor autoradiography 3[H]muscimol GABAA receptor binding in the hypothalami of the steroid- treated or allopregnanolone (ganaxolone)- treated ..
- FUNCTION OF MIDBRAIN STRUCTURES IN EYE MOVEMENT CONTROLDAVID WAITZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..lesioning physiologically identified subregions of the MRF using the GABA active substances bicuculline and muscimol or the excitotoxin ibotenic acid...
- Temporal Organization of Memory in the HippocampusHoward B Eichenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using both muscimol and optical silencing methods, we will further test the hypothesis that temporal coding in the hippocampus ..
- CALCIUM & CALPAINS IN TOXICANT INDUCED RENAL CELL DEATHRICK SCHNELLMANN; Fiscal Year: 2000..The late phase of cell injury is important to study since a variety of cytoprotectants (ex. Glycine, muscimol, neurosteroids, nifedipine, Cl- channel blockers) act in the late phase of cell injury to prevent cell death/..
- BZ RECEPTOR EFFECTS OF PRENATAL ETHANOL/BENSODIAZEPINEDomenic Ciraulo; Fiscal Year: 1991..binding characteristics of the BZ-receptor complex (binding in vivo and in vitro, picrotoxin-site binding, and muscimol-stimulated chloride uptake) in offspring of mice exposed during different periods of pregnancy or lactation to BZ,..
- ETHANOL AFFECTS HYPOTHALAMIC-DENTATE GYRUS INTERACTIONSMATTHEW WAYNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..by intragastric intubulation or by direct pervasion to the LHA, (b) To determine the effects of diazepam and muscimol, a GABAA receptor agonist, on Ang release; and (c) To determine the relative effectiveness of bicuculline, a ..
- NEURAL BASIS OF AUDIO-VOCAL INTEGRATIONWalter Metzner; Fiscal Year: 1999..and electrophysiologically and then VOC- inhibition neurons will be reversibly inactivated with the GABA agonists Muscimol (GABA-A, R(+)Baclofen (GABA-B), and trans-4-aminocrotonic acid (GABAC), respectively, while the resting frequency ..
- Influence of subthalamic nucleus on striatal dopamineThomas Wichmann; Fiscal Year: 2004..effects of transient manipulations of STN activity, induced by intra-STN injections of the GABA receptor agonist muscimol or the GABA receptor antagonist bicuculline, on the neuronal activity in SNc and SNr and on striatal dopainine ..
- BASAL GANGLIA GABA-DOPAMINE INTERACTIONSJames Bennett; Fiscal Year: 1990..will be studied with quantitative ligand binding autoradiography, utilizing radiolabeled flunitrazepam and muscimol as ligands...
- THALAMIC PLASTICITY INDUCED BY LESIONS IN BASAL GANGLIAHELI KRISTY KULTAS ILINSKY; Fiscal Year: 1990..survival) changes in a) synaptic organization, and b) binding parameters of two GABA/A receptor ligands (3H- muscimol and 3H-flunitrazepam) in the thalamus induced by lesioning of basal ganglia output structures...
- CORTICAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE CONTROL OF EYE MOVEMENTSMark Segraves; Fiscal Year: 2004..to natural scanning eye movements either by the short-term removal of FEF input, with the inhibitory drug muscimol, or by making the FEF temporarily hyperactiv with the excitatory drug bicuculline...
- SLEEP CONTROL BY THERMOSENSITIVE NEURONSDennis McGinty; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aim 6 is to use microdialysis of a GABA agonist, muscimol, to inactivate the peri-VLPO area to assess the hypothesis that this region is essential for REM-triggering...
- EXPRESSION OF GRANULE CELL GABA RECEPTORSAdrienne Frostholm; Fiscal Year: 1993..Autoradiographic techniques for the visualization of (3H)muscimol binding sites (indicative of high affinity GABAA receptors), and immunocytochemical methods for the visualization ..
- The Control of Nonhuman Primate Motor and Emotional BehaviorAngela Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2009..These aims will be accomplished by manipulating DSC and SNpr by enhancing or reducing their activity using the GABA-A antagonist bicuculline or the GABA-A agonist muscimol, respectively.
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE FRONTAL EYE FIELDCharles Bruce; Fiscal Year: 2003..5) To further test any causal relation indicated by Aims 3 or 4 by deactivating the presumed effector site with muscimol or lidocaine and reanalyzing the functional properties of the neuron at the presumed target site...
- SUBSTANTIA NIGRA IN MOVEMENT AND MOVEMENT DISORDERSThomas Wichmann; Fiscal Year: 2000..permanent inactivation of the SNr motor area will be studied with local injections of the GABA-receptor agonist muscimol or the neurotoxin ibotenic acid, respectively (S.A...
- Time delimited neural silencing to dissect the basis of visual object perceptionJames J DiCarlo; Fiscal Year: 2013..IT silencing, and we have already discovered that pharmacological neuronal silencing at specific IT sub-regions (muscimol) leads to behavioral deficits in at least one recognition task (but not all such tasks)...
- Cerebellar Neural Networks and Eyeblink ConditioningJoseph Steinmetz; Fiscal Year: 2005..First, the interpositus nucleus will be either permanently lesioned with kainic acid or temporarily activated by muscimol and activity in the cerebellar cortex (lobule HVI and the anterior lobe) will be studied during acquisition and ..
- AGING, MEMORY AND SEPTOHIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTIONAlicja Markowska; Fiscal Year: 1993..the cholinergic system (scopolamine, oxotremorine) and the GABAergic system (picrotoxin, bicuculline, muscimol). Theta is recorded from the hippocampus to indicate the electrophysiological effects of these compounds...
- REGULATION OF NEURAL PLASTICITY IN MATURING VISUAL CELLSTakuji Kasamatsu; Fiscal Year: 1993..3) By locally infusing muscimol into a cortical area affected by a preceding (no temporal overlap) infusion with propranolol, we will study ..
- Mechanisms of Seizure Genesis in Human Hypothalamic HamartomasJONG RHO; Fiscal Year: 2009..demonstrated that a subpopulation of large HH neurons depolarize when perfused with the GABAA-receptor agonist muscimol. Based on these intriguing findings, we hypothesize that such GABAA-receptor mediated depolarization may be a ..
- The causal role of inferior temporal cortex in object recognitionSeyed Reza Afraz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, by local muscimol injection, in each experimental session I will inactivate a small sub- region of IT cortex and measure the effect ..
- CNS Stress Pathways and the Development of Acute HAAFDianne Lattemann; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will reversibly inactivate the THPVP and the DMH with lidocaine or the inhibitory GABA analog muscimol and measure neuroendocnne responses to hypoglycemia, with hypothesized outcomes of reversal of HAAF or simulation ..
- MECHANISMS OF DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION.Jonathan Dostrovsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, effects of high frequency and of lidocaine and muscimol microinjections into STN will be assessed on tremor, rigidity and bradykinesia...
- RETICULAR FORMATION CONTROL OF REACHINGJOHN BUFORD; Fiscal Year: 1999..aspects of set- and movement-related mPMRF activity depend on cortical input by reducing cortical influence with muscimol microinjections into cortical motor areas...
- AMINO ACID RECEPTORS IN NEONATAL TRIGEMINAL NEURONSJack Turman; Fiscal Year: 1999..Finally, quantitative receptor autoradiography using [3H]MK-801, [3H]AMPA, and [3H]muscimol will be used to determine density changes of NMDA, AMPA and GABAa receptors respectively...
- Amygdala Modulation of Hippocampal Arc ExpressionAlmira Vazdarjanova; Fiscal Year: 2004..training-induced Arc expression in hippocampal neurons will be examined after BLA activity is altered by either muscimol or oxotremorine, treatments that decrease or increase BLA activity, respectively, and have been shown to modulate ..
- BEHAVIORAL EFFECTS OF NIGRAL D1 ANTAGONISMJohn Salamone; Fiscal Year: 2001..the effects of intra-nigral infusions of SCH 23390 will be reversed by co- administration of the GABA-A agonist muscimol. The results of these experiments could help to modify current views on the anatomical and neurochemical basis of ..
- MORPHOLOGY OF GABAERGIC NEURONS IN PRIMATE INNER RETINAMARGARET KOONTZ; Fiscal Year: 1991..Intracellular dye injection will be combined with immunocytochemistry based on GABA antiserum or 3H-muscimol uptake followed by autoradiography to identify specific types of GABAergic neurons...
- The Role of the Amygdala in Social Cognition: *Michael Spezio; Fiscal Year: 2004..as a tool for the transient inactivation of the amygdala in the study of social cognition Local infusions of muscimol will be used to inactivate amygdaloid nuclei and effects of inactivation of EEG on behavior will be measured...
- Nucleus Accumbens-Mediated Feeding: Output PathwaysThomas R Stratford; Fiscal Year: 2010..these structures to modify the amount and pattern of food intake elicited by unilateral intra-AcbSh injections of muscimol. These studies will be carried out using an "ipsilateral-contralateral disruption" (ICD) design which will allow ..
- SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN SEIZURE CONTROLJANA VELISKOVA; Fiscal Year: 2002..The SNR is functionally subdivided into anterior and posterior regions which mediate opposing effects of muscimol (a GABAA receptor agonist) on fluorothyl seizures...
- Prenatal Corticosteroid Impact on HippocampusLIBOR VELISEK; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data of this proposal will be critical for determining long-term adverse effects of multiple course prenatal corticosteroid therapy and for the ameliorating these effects in the offspring. ..
- Novel GABA Actions on the Developing BrainJoseph Nunez; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal investigates the novel hypothesis that exogenous muscimol, a selective GABA-A receptor agonist, induces damage in the newborn rat hippocampus, and may serve as a model of ..
- Neural Mechanisms of Inhibitory Classical ConditioningJohn Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these studies may also lead to a better understanding of the functional pathology associated with various psychiatric disorders that involve deficits in behavioral inhibition. ..
- AMYGDALOID FUNCTION IN FEAR CONDITIONINGStephen Maren; Fiscal Year: 2009..The outcome of these experiments will have an important impact on current conceptions of both amygdaloid function and on clinical disorders of fear that depend on emotional learning and memory. ..
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..