- Lutein, zeaxanthin, and the macular pigment
J T Landrum
Department of Chemistry, Florida International University, Miami 33199, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 385:28-40. 2001
The predominant carotenoids of the macular pigment are lutein, zeaxanthin, and meso-zeaxanthin...
- The biosynthesis and nutritional uses of carotenoids
Paul D Fraser
School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, UK
Prog Lipid Res 43:228-65. 2004
b>Carotenoids are isoprenoid molecules that are widespread in nature and are typically seen as pigments in fruits, flowers, birds and crustacea...
- Carotenoid actions and their relation to health and disease
Norman I Krinsky
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Tufts University, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111 1837, USA
Mol Aspects Med 26:459-516. 2005
Based on extensive epidemiological observation, fruits and vegetables that are a rich source of carotenoids are thought to provide health benefits by decreasing the risk of various diseases, particularly certain cancers and eye diseases...
- Serum carotenoids and vitamins in relation to markers of endothelial function and inflammation
Wendy M R van Herpen-Broekmans
TNO Nutrition and Food Research, Zeist, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 19:915-21. 2004
Endothelial cell dysfunction may be related to an increase in cellular oxidative stress. Carotenoids and vitamins could have an antioxidant-mediated tempering influence on endothelial function and inflammation, thereby reducing the risk ..
- Endosymbiotic bacteria as a source of carotenoids in whiteflies
Daniel B Sloan
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Biol Lett 8:986-9. 2012
Although carotenoids serve important biological functions, animals are generally unable to synthesize these pigments and instead obtain them from food...
- Natural genetic variation in lycopene epsilon cyclase tapped for maize biofortification
Carlos E Harjes
Institute for Genomic Diversity, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Science 319:330-3. 2008
..Selection of favorable lcyE alleles with inexpensive molecular markers will now enable developing-country breeders to more effectively produce maize grain with higher provitamin A levels...
- Carotenoids in algae: distributions, biosyntheses and functions
Department of Biology, Nippon Medical School, Kosugi cho, Nakahara, Kawasaki 211 0063, Japan
Mar Drugs 9:1101-18. 2011
For photosynthesis, phototrophic organisms necessarily synthesize not only chlorophylls but also carotenoids. Many kinds of carotenoids are found in algae and, recently, taxonomic studies of algae have been developed...
- Carotenoids and human health
A V Rao
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 150 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E2, Canada
Pharmacol Res 55:207-16. 2007
..b>Carotenoids are a group of phytochemicals that are responsible for different colors of the foods...
- Identifying gene targets for the metabolic engineering of lycopene biosynthesis in Escherichia coli
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 56 469, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Metab Eng 7:155-64. 2005
..For the case of lycopene biosynthesis, the so identified knockout targets yielded a triple knockout construct that exhibited a nearly 40% increase over an engineered, high producing parental strain...
- Source to sink: regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis in plants
Christopher I Cazzonelli
Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology, Research School of Biology, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Trends Plant Sci 15:266-74. 2010
b>Carotenoids are a diverse group of colourful pigments naturally found in plants, algae, fungi and bacteria...
- Vitamin synthesis in plants: tocopherols and carotenoids
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 57:711-38. 2006
b>Carotenoids and tocopherols are the two most abundant groups of lipid-soluble antioxidants in chloroplasts...
- Marine carotenoids: biological functions and commercial applications
Algal Biotechnology Group, International Centre for Environmental Research CIECEM, University of Huelva, 21760 Huelva, Spain
Mar Drugs 9:319-33. 2011
b>Carotenoids are the most common pigments in nature and are synthesized by all photosynthetic organisms and fungi. Carotenoids are considered key molecules for life...
- Carotenoids and their isomers: color pigments in fruits and vegetables
Hock Eng Khoo
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 16:1710-38. 2011
..Owing to their nutritional benefits and phytochemicals, they are considered as 'functional food ingredients'. Carotenoids are some of the most vital colored phytochemicals, occurring as all-trans and cis-isomers, and accounting for ..
- The role of carotenoids in human health
Elizabeth J Johnson
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Nutr Clin Care 5:56-65. 2002
Dietary carotenoids are thought to provide health benefits in decreasing the risk of disease, particularly certain cancers and eye disease...
- Lycopene inhibits proinflammatory cytokine and chemokine expression in adipose tissue
INRA, UMR1260 Nutriments Lipidiques et Prevention des Maladies Metaboliques, Marseille F 13385, France
J Nutr Biochem 22:642-8. 2011
..Such an effect could prevent or limit the prevalence of obesity-associated pathologies, such as insulin resistance...
- Carotenoids and cardiovascular health
Research Institute of Public Health and Department of Public Health and General Practice, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 83:1265-71. 2006
..Antioxidant compounds found in fruit and vegetables, such as vitamin C, carotenoids, and flavonoids, may influence the risk of CVD by preventing the oxidation of cholesterol in arteries...
- Complete genome sequence of "Candidatus Portiera aleyrodidarum" BT-QVLC, an obligate symbiont that supplies amino acids and carotenoids to Bemisia tabaci
Institut Cavanilles de Biodiversitat i Biologia Evolutiva, Universitat de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
J Bacteriol 194:6654-5. 2012
..It presents a reduced genome (357 kb) encoding the capability to synthetize, or participate in the synthesis of, several amino acids and carotenoids, being the first insect endosymbiont capable of supplying carotenoids.
- Serum carotenoids and markers of inflammation in nonsmokers
S B Kritchevsky
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis 38105, USA
Am J Epidemiol 152:1065-71. 2000
..To evaluate the potential for such confounding, the authors relate the serum concentrations of five carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lycopene, and lutein/zeaxanthin) to levels of three ..
- Oxidative DNA damage in prostate cancer patients consuming tomato sauce-based entrees as a whole-food intervention
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1872-9. 2001
..001). CONCLUSION: These data indicate a possible role for a tomato sauce constituent, possibly lycopene, in the treatment of prostate cancer and warrant further testing with a larger sample of patients, including a control group...
- Crystallographic structure of xanthorhodopsin, the light-driven proton pump with a dual chromophore
Departments of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, and Physiology and Biophysics, and Center for Biomembrane Systems, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16561-5. 2008
- Secondary ketocarotenoid astaxanthin biosynthesis in algae: a multifunctional response to stress
University Lille Nord de France, UMR 8187 LOG CNRS University Lille 1, Bat SN2, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq cedex, France
Photosynth Res 106:155-77. 2010
..A tentative regulatory model of the biochemical network driving astaxanthin production is proposed...
- Tomato strigolactones are derived from carotenoids and their biosynthesis is promoted by phosphate starvation
Juan Antonio Lopez-Raez
Plant Research International, P O Box 16, NL 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
New Phytol 178:863-74. 2008
..stimulants in tomato root exudate are strigolactones and that they are biosynthetically derived from carotenoids. The dual activity of these signalling compounds in attracting beneficial AM fungi and detrimental parasitic ..
- Carotenoid metabolism: biosynthesis, regulation, and beyond
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
J Integr Plant Biol 50:778-85. 2008
b>Carotenoids are indispensable to plants and play a critical role in human nutrition and health. Significant progress has been made in our understanding of carotenoid metabolism in plants...
- Specific oxidative cleavage of carotenoids by VP14 of maize
S H Schwartz
Michigan State University Department of Energy MSU DOE Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Science 276:1872-4. 1997
..The recombinant VP14 protein catalyzes the cleavage of 9-cis-epoxy-carotenoids to form C25 apo-aldehydes and xanthoxin, a precursor of ABA in higher plants.
- Carotenoids affect proliferation of human prostate cancer cells
Department of Bioresources Chemistry, Graduate School of Fisheries Science, Hokkaido University, 3-1-1 Hakodate 041-8611, Japan
J Nutr 131:3303-6. 2001
We investigated whether various carotenoids present in foodstuffs were potentially involved in cancer-preventing action on human prostate cancer...
- Antioxidants in photosynthesis and human nutrition
Department of Environmental, Population, and Organismic Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0334, USA
Science 298:2149-53. 2002
..The pathways that synthesize these compounds are becoming amenable to genetic manipulation, which may yield benefits as widespread as improved plant stress tolerance and improved human physical and mental health...
- Influence of organic versus conventional agricultural practice on the antioxidant microconstituent content of tomatoes and derived purees; consequences on antioxidant plasma status in humans
UMR A408 INRA Université d Avignon et des Pays du Vaucluse, Sécurité et Qualité des Produits d Origine Végétale, INRA Domaine Saint Paul, Site Agroparc, 84914 Avignon Cedex 9, France
J Agric Food Chem 52:6503-9. 2004
..When results were expressed as fresh matter, organic tomatoes had higher vitamin C, carotenoids, and polyphenol contents (except for chlorogenic acid) than conventional tomatoes...
- Cardiovascular disease mortality and serum carotenoid levels: a Japanese population-based follow-up study
Department of Preventive Medicine Biostatistics and Medical Decision Making, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Epidemiol 16:154-60. 2006
Some observational epidemiologic studies suggest that dietary and serum carotenoids are associated with reduced cardiovascular disease mortality.
- Metabolic engineering of the nonmevalonate isopentenyl diphosphate synthesis pathway in Escherichia coli enhances lycopene production
S W Kim
Marine Bioproducts Engineering Center, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 1462, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 72:408-15. 2001
Isopentenyl diphosphate (IPP) is the common, five-carbon building block in the biosynthesis of all carotenoids. IPP in Escherichia coli is synthesized through the nonmevalonate pathway, which has not been completely elucidated...
- Genetic determinants of macular pigments in women of the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study
Kristin J Meyers
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53726, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:2333-45. 2013
To investigate genetic determinants of macular pigment optical density in women from the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study (CAREDS), an ancillary study of the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study.
- Plasma concentrations of carotenoids and vitamin C are better correlated with dietary intake in normal weight than overweight and obese elderly subjects
Departamento Salud Pública, Campus San Juan, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche Alicante, Ctra Valencia s n, 03550 Alicante, Spain
Br J Nutr 97:977-86. 2007
..05) Pearson correlations were observed between energy-adjusted dietary intakes and plasma concentrations (carotenoids adjusted for cholesterol) for: alpha-carotene 0.21, beta-carotene 0.19, lycopene 0.18, beta-cryptoxanthin 0...
- Mutations of genes in synthesis of the carotenoid precursors of ABA lead to pre-harvest sprouting and photo-oxidation in rice
State Key Laboratory of Plant Genomics and National Centre for Plant Gene Research, Beijing 100101, China
Plant J 54:177-89. 2008
..These results suggest that the impairment of carotenoid biosynthesis causes photo-oxidation and ABA-deficiency phenotypes, of which the latter is a major factor controlling the PHS trait in rice...
- A review of the evidence germane to the putative protective role of the macular carotenoids for age-related macular degeneration
Department of Optometry, College of Sciences and Health, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland
Mol Nutr Food Res 56:270-86. 2012
..The dietary carotenoids, lutein (L), zeaxanthin (Z), and meso-zeaxanthin (meso-Z), accumulate at the macula, where they are ..
- Carotenoids and vitamins C and E in the prevention of cardiovascular disease
Cardiology Unit, San Camillo de Lellis Hospital, Manfredonia, Foggia, Italy
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 82:15-26. 2012
..The aim of this review is to examine the published studies regarding the effect of vitamins (C and E) and beta-carotene supplementation in the prevention of CVD due to atherosclerosis...
- Saffron and natural carotenoids: Biochemical activities and anti-tumor effects
Department of Hepatitis and AIDS, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran Electronic address
Biochim Biophys Acta 1845:20-30. 2014
Saffron, a spice derived from the flower of Crocus sativus, is rich in carotenoids. Two main natural carotenoids of saffron, crocin and crocetin, are responsible for its color...
- Microalgae as sources of carotenoids
Ana Catarina Guedes
CIMAR CIIMAR Centro Interdisciplinar de Investigação Marinha e Ambiental, Universidade do Porto, Rua dos Bragas 177, Porto
Mar Drugs 9:625-44. 2011
..a natural source of a variety of drugs for pharmaceutical, food and cosmetic applications-which encompass carotenoids, among others...
- Carotenoids and their cleavage products: biosynthesis and functions
Michael H Walter
Leibniz Institut für Pflanzenbiochemie, Abteilung Sekundärstoffwechsel, Weinberg 3, 06120, Halle, Saale, Germany
Nat Prod Rep 28:663-92. 2011
This review focuses on plant carotenoids, but it also includes progress made on microbial and animal carotenoid metabolism to better understand the functions and the evolution of these structurally diverse compounds with a common ..
- Lycopene attenuates LPS-induced TNF-α secretion in macrophages and inflammatory markers in adipocytes exposed to macrophage-conditioned media
INRA, UMR1260 Nutriments Lipidiques et Prevention des Maladies Metaboliques, Marseille, France
Mol Nutr Food Res 56:725-32. 2012
..Because lycopene possesses anti-inflammatory properties, we hypothesize that lycopene could reduce the production of TNF-α by macrophages and thus interfere in the cross-talk between macrophages and adipocytes...
- Production of the carotenoids lycopene, beta-carotene, and astaxanthin in the food yeast Candida utilis
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1226-9. 1998
..yeast Candida utilis has been engineered to confer a novel biosynthetic pathway for the production of carotenoids such as lycopene, beta-carotene, and astaxanthin...
- Overexpression of the rice carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 1 gene in Golden Rice endosperm suggests apocarotenoids as substrates in planta
Faculty of Biology, Institute of Biology II, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Schaenzlestr 1, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Planta 232:691-9. 2010
b>Carotenoids are converted by carotenoid cleavage dioxygenases that catalyze oxidative cleavage reactions leading to apocarotenoids. However, apocarotenoids can also be further truncated by some members of this enzyme family...
- Carotenoid accumulation in bacteria with enhanced supply of isoprenoid precursors by upregulation of exogenous or endogenous pathways
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Av Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 135:78-84. 2008
b>Carotenoids are isoprenoid pigments of industrial and nutritional interest...
- Site-specific concentrations of carotenoids in adipose tissue: relations with dietary and serum carotenoid concentrations in healthy adults
Hae Yun Chung
Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Am J Clin Nutr 90:533-9. 2009
Dietary carotenoids are related to a decreased risk of certain diseases. Serum and adipose tissue carotenoid concentrations are used as biomarkers of intake.
- Cancer chemoprevention by carotenoids
Tohkai Cytopathology Institute, Cancer Research and Prevention TCI CaRP, 5 1 2 Minami Uzura, Gifu 500 8285, Japan
Molecules 17:3202-42. 2012
b>Carotenoids are natural fat-soluble pigments that provide bright coloration to plants and animals. Dietary intake of carotenoids is inversely associated with the risk of a variety of cancers in different tissues...
- Carotenoid radical chemistry and antioxidant/pro-oxidant properties
Lennard Jones Laboratories, School of Chemistry and Physics, Keele University, Keele, Staffs ST5 5BG, UK
Arch Biochem Biophys 430:37-48. 2004
..review is to summarise the current state of knowledge of (i) the kinetics and mechanisms of radical reactions with carotenoids, (ii) the properties of carotenoid radicals, and (iii) the antioxidant/pro-oxidant properties of carotenoids.
- Plasma lycopene, other carotenoids, and retinol and the risk of cardiovascular disease in men
Howard D Sesso
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215 1204, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 81:990-7. 2005
..Emerging evidence suggests a possible role of lycopene in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Differential effects of carotenoids on lipid peroxidation due to membrane interactions: X-ray diffraction analysis
Hyesun P McNulty
Elucida Research, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 135L, P O Box 7100, Beverly, MA 01915 0091, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:167-74. 2007
The biological benefits of certain carotenoids may be due to their potent antioxidant properties attributed to specific physico-chemical interactions with membranes...
- Outdoor cultivation of microalgae for carotenoid production: current state and perspectives
Jose A Del Campo
Instituto de Bioquimica Vegetal y Fotosintesis, Universidad de Sevilla Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Avda Americo Vespucio 49, Sevilla 41092, Spain
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74:1163-74. 2007
..Yellow, orange, and red carotenoids have an industrial use in food products and cosmetics as vitamin supplements and health food products and as ..
- Xanthorhodopsin: a proton pump with a light-harvesting carotenoid antenna
Sergei P Balashov
University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Science 309:2061-4. 2005
Energy transfer from light-harvesting carotenoids to chlorophyll is common in photosynthesis, but such antenna pigments have not been observed in retinal-based ion pumps and photoreceptors...
- Multi-dimensional gene target search for improving lycopene biosynthesis in Escherichia coli
Yong Su Jin
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Metab Eng 9:337-47. 2007
- Carotenoid action on the immune response
Boon P Chew
Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 6351, USA
J Nutr 134:257S-261S. 2004
..the ability of dietary carotenes to prevent infections have left open the possibility that the action of these carotenoids may be through their prior conversion to vitamin A...
- Carotenoid accumulation and function in seeds and non-green tissues
Crispin A Howitt
CSIRO Plant Industry, GPO Box 1600, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Plant Cell Environ 29:435-45. 2006
b>Carotenoids are plant pigments that function as antioxidants, hormone precursors, colourants and essential components of the photosynthetic apparatus...
- Marine carotenoids and cardiovascular risk markers
Cardiology Unit, San Camillo de Lellis Hospital, via Isonzo, Manfredonia, Foggia 71043, Italy
Mar Drugs 9:1166-75. 2011
Marine carotenoids are important bioactive compounds with physiological activities related to prevention of degenerative diseases found principally in plants, with potential antioxidant biological properties deriving from their chemical ..
- Chromoplast differentiation: current status and perspectives
Universite de Toulouse, INP ENSA Toulouse, Génomique et Biotechnologie des Fruits, Avenue de l Agrobiopole BP 32607, Castanet Tolosan F 31326, France
Plant Cell Physiol 51:1601-11. 2010
- Effects of carotenoid availability during laying on reproduction in the blue tit
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Evolutive CNRS UMR 7103, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Case 237, 7 quai Saint Bernard, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Oecologia 144:32-44. 2005
b>Carotenoids are antioxidant pigments involved in several physiological processes and signalling in animals that cannot synthesise them and therefore must acquire them from food...
- Carotenoid biosynthesis in diatoms
MiMeTox, National Institute for Marine Sciences and Techniques, CNAM, BP 324, 50103 Cherbourg Octeville Cedex, France
Photosynth Res 106:89-102. 2010
..In this study, the data on the biosynthetic pathway of diatom carotenoids are reviewed. The early steps occur through the 2-C-methyl-D: -erythritol 4-phosphate (MEP) pathway...
- PSY3, a new member of the phytoene synthase gene family conserved in the Poaceae and regulator of abiotic stress-induced root carotenogenesis
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehman College, The City University of New York, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
Plant Physiol 146:1333-45. 2008
- Prospective study of intake of fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and carotenoids and risk of age-related maculopathy
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:883-92. 2004
To examine the intake of antioxidant vitamins and carotenoids as well as fruits and vegetables in relation to the development of age-related maculopathy (ARM).
- Isolation and characterization of the Z-ISO gene encoding a missing component of carotenoid biosynthesis in plants
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehman College, City University of New York, Bronx, New York 10468, USA
Plant Physiol 153:66-79. 2010
Metabolic engineering of plant carotenoids in food crops has been a recent focus for improving human health. Pathway manipulation is predicated on comprehensive knowledge of this biosynthetic pathway, which has been extensively studied...
- The protective functions of carotenoid and flavonoid pigments against excess visible radiation at chilling temperature investigated in Arabidopsis npq and tt mutants
CEA Cadarache, DSV, DEVM, laboratoire d écophysiologie de la photosynthèse, Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Planta 213:953-66. 2001
..both genotypes, photoacclimation at low temperature induced the accumulation of various antioxidants including carotenoids (except beta-carotene), vitamin E (alpha- and -gamma-tocopherol) and non-photosynthetic pigments (anthocyanins ..
- Ancient recruitment by chromists of green algal genes encoding enzymes for carotenoid biosynthesis
Institut für Biologie I, Pflanzenphysiologie, Universitat Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Mol Biol Evol 25:2653-67. 2008
..Here we analyzed the biosynthetic pathway of carotenoids that are essential components of all photosynthetic eukaryotes and find a mosaic evolutionary origin of these ..
- Lycopene for the prevention and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer: a systematic review
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Maturitas 72:269-76. 2012
..The aim of this systematic review was to examine the effectiveness of lycopene for the prevention and treatment of BPH and prostate cancer...
- Cloning and characterization of two 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase genes, differentially regulated during fruit maturation and under stress conditions, from orange (Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck)
Maria Jesus Rodrigo
Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos IATA CSIC, Apartado de Correos 73, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Exp Bot 57:633-43. 2006
..Based on these results, it is suggested that 9-cis-violaxanthin may be the predominant substrate for NCED in the peel of Citrus fruits, whereas 9'-cis-neoxanthin would be the precursor of ABA in photosynthetic tissues...
- Chemical quenching of singlet oxygen by carotenoids in plants
Commissariat à l Énergie Atomique et aux Énergies Alternatives, Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut de Biologie Environnementale et de Biotechnologie, F 13108 Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Plant Physiol 158:1267-78. 2012
b>Carotenoids are considered to be the first line of defense of plants against singlet oxygen ((1)O(2)) toxicity because of their capacity to quench (1)O(2) as well as triplet chlorophylls through a physical mechanism involving transfer of ..
- On the regulation of photosynthesis by excitonic interactions between carotenoids and chlorophylls
Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Department for Biophysical Chemistry, Hans Sommer Strasse 10, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:12311-6. 2009
..These findings support a photophysical mechanism in which short-living, low excitonic carotenoid-chlorophyll states serve as traps and dissipation valves for excess excitation energy...
- Carotenoids and DNA damage
Department of Nutrition, Food Science and Toxicology, Schools of Pharmacy and Sciences, University of Navarra, Irunlarrea 1, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Mutat Res 733:4-13. 2012
b>Carotenoids are among the best known antioxidant phytochemicals, and are widely believed to contribute to the health-promoting properties of fruits and vegetables...
- Association of plasma micronutrient levels and urinary isoprostane with risk of lung cancer: the multiethnic cohort study
Epidemiology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:1962-70. 2009
..We measured prediagnositic circulating levels of individual tocopherols and carotenoids, retinol, and serum selenium, and urinary 15-isoprostane F(2t)...
- Replicon-free and markerless methods for genomic insertion of DNAs in phage attachment sites and controlled expression of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli
Chung Jen Chiang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Biotechnol Bioeng 101:985-95. 2008
..This result indicates the promise of developed methods for genome engineering in E. coli...
- CD36 is involved in lycopene and lutein uptake by adipocytes and adipose tissue cultures
INRA, UMR1260 Nutriments Lipidiques et Prevention des Maladies Metaboliques, Marseille, France
Mol Nutr Food Res 55:578-84. 2011
b>Carotenoids are mainly stored in adipose tissue. However, nothing is known regarding the uptake of carotenoids by adipocytes...
- Retinol, carotenoids, and tocopherols in the milk of lactating adolescents and relationships with plasma concentrations
Vilma B de Azeredo
Departamento de Nutrição e Dietética, Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nutrition 24:133-9. 2008
We determined the concentrations of retinol, carotenoids, and tocopherols in breast milk of adolescents and evaluated their associations with plasma levels and with maternal characteristics (period of lactation, body mass index, age of ..
- beta-Cryptoxanthin from supplements or carotenoid-enhanced maize maintains liver vitamin A in Mongolian gerbils ( Meriones unguiculatus) better than or equal to beta-carotene supplements
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1415 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Br J Nutr 100:786-93. 2008
Maize with enhanced provitamin A carotenoids (biofortified), accomplished through conventional plant breeding, maintains vitamin A (VA) status in Mongolian gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus)...
- Lycopene enhances docetaxel's effect in castration-resistant prostate cancer associated with insulin-like growth factor I receptor levels
Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA, USA
Neoplasia 13:108-19. 2011
..CRPC patients with IGF-IR-overexpressing tumors may be most likely to benefit from this combination...
- Reconstitution of Gloeobacter violaceus rhodopsin with a light-harvesting carotenoid antenna
Eleonora S Imasheva
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Biochemistry 48:10948-55. 2009
- Long-term use of beta-carotene, retinol, lycopene, and lutein supplements and lung cancer risk: results from the VITamins And Lifestyle (VITAL) study
Jessie A Satia
Departments of Nutrition and Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:815-28. 2009
..There was little evidence for effect modification by gender or smoking status. Long-term use of individual beta-carotene, retinol, and lutein supplements should not be recommended for lung cancer prevention, particularly among smokers...
- ATP-binding cassette transporter G26 is required for male fertility and pollen exine formation in Arabidopsis
Teagen D Quilichini
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Plant Physiol 154:678-90. 2010
- Differential selection on carotenoid biosynthesis genes as a function of gene position in the metabolic pathway: a study on the carrot and dicots
UMR1345 Institut de Recherche en Horticulture et Semences, Universite d Angers, PRES L UNAM, Angers, France
PLoS ONE 7:e38724. 2012
..This hypothesis was tested in the carotenoid biosynthesis pathway using population genetics and phylogenetics...
- A global clinical view on vitamin A and carotenoids
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21209, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 96:1204S-6S. 2012
..The other major carotenoids, particularly lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, have been found to have important biological properties, ..
- β-Carotene and other carotenoids in protection from sunlight
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Faculty of Medicine and the Leibniz Research Institute for Environmental Medicine, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 96:1179S-84S. 2012
..of reactive oxygen species is considered to be a mechanism of action underlying the protective activity of carotenoids. However, food comprises a complex mixture of numerous constituents, so that other components may also ..
- Biofortification of plants with altered antioxidant content and composition: genetic engineering strategies
Departament de Produccio Vegetal i Ciencia Forestal, Universitat de Lleida Agrotecnio Center, Lleida, Spain
Plant Biotechnol J 11:129-41. 2013
..In this review, we consider the state of the art in antioxidant biofortification and discuss the challenges that remain to be overcome in the development of nutritionally complete and health-promoting functional foods...
- Carotenoid profiles and consumer sensory evaluation of specialty carrots (Daucus carota, L.) of various colors
Rebecca L Surles
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:3417-21. 2004
..Four major carotenoids were identified and quantified by use of HPLC methods...
- Lycopene isomerisation and storage in an in vitro model of murine hepatic stellate cells
Anderson J Teodoro
Laboratorio de Bioquimica Nutricional e de Alimentos, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Nutr 48:261-8. 2009
..While most alimentary lycopene is in all-trans configuration, in animal and human tissues approximately half of the lycopene is in cis isoforms...
- Cloning and functional characterization of the maize carotenoid isomerase and β-carotene hydroxylase genes and their regulation during endosperm maturation
School of Life Sciences, Northeast Normal University, 130024, Changchun, China
Transgenic Res 19:1053-68. 2010
..We discuss the impact of paralogs with different expression profiles and functions on the regulation of carotenoid synthesis in corn...
- Enhanced seed carotenoid levels and branching in transgenic Brassica napus expressing the Arabidopsis miR156b gene
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 107 Science Place, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 0X2, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 58:9572-8. 2010
..These data suggest that AtmiR156b gene expression could be applied in plant breeding initiatives for enhancing carotenoid production in canola and other crop species...
- Regulation of carotenoid composition and shoot branching in Arabidopsis by a chromatin modifying histone methyltransferase, SDG8
Christopher I Cazzonelli
Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Plant Cell 21:39-53. 2009
..Thus, the level of lutein, the most abundant carotenoid in higher plants that is critical for photosynthesis and photoprotection, appears to be regulated by a chromatin modifying enzyme in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- Circulating carotenoids, mammographic density, and subsequent risk of breast cancer
Rulla M Tamimi
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer Res 69:9323-9. 2009
..In the current study, we addressed this hypothesis and also assessed if the association between carotenoids and breast cancer risk varies by mammographic density...
- Anti-inflammatory effect of lycopene on carrageenan-induced paw oedema and hepatic ischaemia-reperfusion in the rat
Departamentos de Farmacologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Br J Nutr 102:126-33. 2009
..We speculate that lycopene administration might be useful in the pharmacological modulation of inflammatory events...
- Stabilized gene duplication enables long-term selection-free heterologous pathway expression
Keith E J Tyo
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:760-5. 2009
..We also increased the yield of the nutraceutical lycopene by 60%. CIChE should be applicable in many organisms, as it only requires having targeted genomic integration methods and a recA homolog...
- Identification of genes affecting lycopene accumulation in Escherichia coli using a shot-gun method
Min Jung Kang
Amicogen Inc, Jinsung, Jinju 660 852, Korea
Biotechnol Bioeng 91:636-42. 2005
..The co-expression of appY with dxs produced eight times the amount of lycopene (4.7 mg/g DCW) that was produced without expression of both genes (0.6 mg/g DCW)...
- Photo-oxidative stress in Rhodobacter sphaeroides: protective role of carotenoids and expression of selected genes
Institut fur Mikrobiologie und Molekularbiologie, University of Giessen, Heinrich Buff Ring 26 32, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Microbiology 151:1927-38. 2005
In Rhodobacter sphaeroides, carotenoids are essential constituents of the photosynthetic apparatus and are assumed to prevent the formation of singlet oxygen by quenching of triplet bacteriochlorophyll a (BChl a) in vivo...
- Interspecific variation in the use of carotenoid-based coloration in birds: diet, life history and phylogeny
V A Olson
Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Evol Biol 18:1534-46. 2005
..Theory predicts that the use of carotenoids for coloration is closely associated with the availability of carotenoids in the diet but, although this ..
- Association of carotenoids, tocopherols and vitamin C in plasma with allergic rhinitis and allergic sensitisation in adults
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Public Health Nutr 9:472-9. 2006
Antioxidant nutrients like carotenoids, tocopherols and vitamin C have been suggested to protect against allergic rhinitis and allergic sensitisation but scientific evidence is scarce...
- The influence of lycopene on the proliferation of human breast cell line (MCF-7)
Institute of Sciences of Food Production, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Bari, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 21:217-23. 2007
- Application of two bicistronic systems involving 2A and IRES sequences to the biosynthesis of carotenoids in rice endosperm
Sun Hwa Ha
National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea
Plant Biotechnol J 8:928-38. 2010
..the internal ribosome entry site (IRES) sequence from the crucifer-infecting tobamovirus to the biosynthesis of carotenoids in rice endosperm...
- The influence of organic and conventional cultivation systems on the nutritional value and content of bioactive compounds in selected tomato types
WULS SGGW, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Department of Functional Food and Commodity, Division of Organic Food, Warsaw, Poland
J Sci Food Agric 92:2840-8. 2012
Tomato fruits contain a high level of antioxidants such as vitamin C, polyphenols (including flavonoids), and carotenoids (such as lycopene and β-carotene)...
- Independent inverse relationship between serum lycopene concentration and arterial stiffness
Oh Yoen Kim
National Research Laboratory for Clinical Nutrigenetics Nutrigenomics, Department of Food and Nutrition, Yonsei University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Atherosclerosis 208:581-6. 2010
..This study aimed to investigate the association of serum lycopene concentration with brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV), a marker of arterial stiffness and markers of oxidative stress and inflammation...
- Lycopene inhibition of IGF-induced cancer cell growth depends on the level of cyclin D1
Dept of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev and Soroka Medical Center of Kupat Holim, Beer Sheva, Israel
Eur J Nutr 45:275-82. 2006
- Age-dependent allocation of carotenoids to coloration versus antioxidant defences
Biogéosciences UMR 5561, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
J Exp Biol 213:271-7. 2010
..These age-related changes might therefore modify the use of dietary antioxidants, including carotenoids. As carotenoids are closely associated with the expression of secondary sexual signals, the allocation of ..
- Novel lycopene epsilon cyclase activities in maize revealed through perturbation of carotenoid biosynthesis
Boyce Thompson Institute, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant J 59:588-99. 2009
..The implications of these findings with respect to breeding for carotenoid composition in maize grain are discussed...
- Fibrillin influence on plastid ultrastructure and pigment content in tomato fruit
Andrew J Simkin
Laboratoire Plastes et Differenciation Cellulaire, Université Joseph Fourier and CNRS UMR5575, BP 53, F 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Phytochemistry 68:1545-56. 2007
..An in vitro assay has been developed to monitor fibrillin activity on thylakoids: data were obtained suggesting a membrane protection role for fibrillin, more specifically against moderate uncoupling effects...
- Proposed criteria for assessing the efficacy of cancer reduction by plant foods enriched in carotenoids, glucosinolates, polyphenols and selenocompounds
John W Finley
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
Ann Bot 95:1075-96. 2005
..The 'functional food' industry has produced and marketed foods enriched with bioactive compounds, but there are no universally accepted criteria for judging efficacy of the compounds or enriched foods...
- Recent advances in carotenoid biosynthesis, regulation and manipulation
School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Woodland Road, Bristol, BS8 1UG, UK
Planta 221:305-8. 2005
- Effect of the cauliflower Or transgene on carotenoid accumulation and chromoplast formation in transgenic potato tubers
Alex B Lopez
USDA ARS, Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Exp Bot 59:213-23. 2008
..The Or transgenic tubers accumulated not only increased levels of carotenoids that normally are present in the controls, but also three additional metabolite intermediates of phytoene, ..