Genomes and Genes
small ubiquitin related modifier proteins
Summary: A class of structurally related proteins of 12-20 kDa in size. They covalently modify specific proteins in a manner analogous to UBIQUITIN.
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- The polycomb protein Pc2 is a SUMO E3Michael H Kagey
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Center for Cell Signaling, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Cell 113:127-37. 2003..These results demonstrate that Pc2 is a SUMO E3, and suggest that PcG bodies may be sumoylation centers...
- Concepts in sumoylation: a decade onRuth Geiss-Friedlander
Department of Biochemie I, Faculty of Medicine, University of Goettingen, Humboldt Allee 23, 37073 Goettingen, Germany
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8:947-56. 2007..At first glance, these effects have nothing in common; however, it seems that they all result from changes in the molecular interactions of the sumoylated proteins...
- Protein modification by SUMOErica S Johnson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 73:355-82. 2004..This review discusses our current understanding of how SUMO conjugation is controlled, as well as the roles of SUMO in a number of biological processes...
- Polymeric chains of SUMO-2 and SUMO-3 are conjugated to protein substrates by SAE1/SAE2 and Ubc9M H Tatham
Institute of Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, North Haugh, St Andrews KY16 5ST, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:35368-74. 2001..The ability to form polymeric chains is not shared by SUMO-1, and although all SUMO species use the same conjugation machinery, modification by SUMO-1 and SUMO-2/-3 may have distinct functional consequences...
- Identification of a SUMO-binding motif that recognizes SUMO-modified proteinsJing Song
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, 1450 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14373-8. 2004..The SUMO-binding motif exists in nearly all proteins known to be involved in SUMO-dependent processes, suggesting its general role in sumoylation-dependent cellular functions...
- Functional heterogeneity of small ubiquitin-related protein modifiers SUMO-1 versus SUMO-2/3H Saitoh
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
J Biol Chem 275:6252-8. 2000..Together, these results support the concept of important distinctions between the SUMO-2/3 and SUMO-1 conjugation pathways and suggest a role for SUMO-2/3 in the cellular responses to environmental stress...
- SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligases in genome stabilityJohn Prudden
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
EMBO J 26:4089-101. 2007..The DNA repair factor Rad60 and its human homolog NIP45, which contain SLDs, are candidate STUbL targets. Consistently, Rad60 and Slx8-Rfp mutants have similar DNA repair defects...
- Role of SUMO-interacting motif in Daxx SUMO modification, subnuclear localization, and repression of sumoylated transcription factorsDing Yen Lin
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan, Republic of China
Mol Cell 24:341-54. 2006..Our results provide mechanistic insights into Daxx in SUMO-dependent transcriptional control and subnuclear compartmentalization...
- RAD6-dependent DNA repair is linked to modification of PCNA by ubiquitin and SUMOCarsten Hoege
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nature 419:135-41. 2002..We demonstrate that these modifications differentially affect resistance to DNA damage, and that damage-induced PCNA ubiquitination is elementary for DNA repair and occurs at the same conserved residue in yeast and humans...
- Conserved function of RNF4 family proteins in eukaryotes: targeting a ubiquitin ligase to SUMOylated proteinsHuaiyu Sun
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
EMBO J 26:4102-12. 2007..Hence, we describe a family of SIM-containing RING-finger proteins that potentially regulates eukaryotic genome stability through linking SUMO-interaction with ubiquitin conjugation...
- Ulp1-SUMO crystal structure and genetic analysis reveal conserved interactions and a regulatory element essential for cell growth in yeastE Mossessova
Biochemistry Department, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mol Cell 5:865-76. 2000..Genetic analysis guided by the structure further reveals a regulatory element N-terminal to the proteolytic domain that is required for cell growth in yeast...
- The Slx5-Slx8 complex affects sumoylation of DNA repair proteins and negatively regulates recombinationRebecca C Burgess
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, and Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:6153-62. 2007..In addition, the complex inhibits Rad51-independent recombination via modulating the sumoylation of DNA repair proteins...
- A new protease required for cell-cycle progression in yeastS J Li
University of Chicago, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Illinois 60637, USA
Nature 398:246-51. 1999..The pattern of Smt3-coupled proteins in yeast changes markedly throughout the cell cycle, and specific conjugates accumulate in ulp1 mutants. Ulp1 has several functions, including an essential role in the G2/M phase of the cell cycle...
- SUMO junction-what's your function? New insights through SUMO-interacting motifsOliver Kerscher
Biology Department, Millington Hall, Room 328, Landrum Drive, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia 23185, USA
EMBO Rep 8:550-5. 2007....
- A SIM-ultaneous role for SUMO and ubiquitinJ Jefferson P Perry
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 33:201-8. 2008..The human STUbL, RNF4, is implicated in several diseases including cancer, highlighting the importance of characterizing the cellular functions of STUbLs...
- Ubc9p is the conjugating enzyme for the ubiquitin-like protein Smt3pE S Johnson
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Biol Chem 272:26799-802. 1997..cerevisiae. These results suggest that, like ubiquitination, Smt3p conjugation may be a critical modification in cell cycle regulation...
- PIASy, a nuclear matrix-associated SUMO E3 ligase, represses LEF1 activity by sequestration into nuclear bodiesS Sachdev
Gene Center and Institute of Biochemistry, University of Munich, 81377 Munich, Germany
Genes Dev 15:3088-103. 2001..Moreover, PIASy binds to nuclear matrix-associated DNA sequences and targets LEF1 to nuclear bodies, suggesting that PIASy-mediated subnuclear sequestration accounts for the repression of LEF1 activity...
- The yeast ULP2 (SMT4) gene encodes a novel protease specific for the ubiquitin-like Smt3 proteinS J Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:2367-77. 2000..Our data suggest the existence of a feedback mechanism that limits Smt3-protein ligation when Smt3 deconjugation by both Ulp1 and Ulp2 is compromised, allowing a partial recovery of cell function...
- Sumoylation of the estrogen receptor alpha hinge region regulates its transcriptional activityStephanie Sentis
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 590, Centre Leon Berard, 28 rue Laennec, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Mol Endocrinol 19:2671-84. 2005..These findings identify sumoylation as a new mechanism modulating ERalpha-dependent cellular response and provide a link between the SUMO and estrogen pathways...
- Global analysis of protein sumoylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJames A Wohlschlegel
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 279:45662-8. 2004..Additionally, our global analysis has revealed a number of interesting biological patterns in the list of SUMO targets including a clustering of sumoylation targets within macromolecular complexes...
- Distinct and overlapping sets of SUMO-1 and SUMO-2 target proteins revealed by quantitative proteomicsAlfred C O Vertegaal
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:2298-310. 2006....
- Fission yeast Rnf4 homologs are required for DNA repairAna Kosoy
Department of Oncological Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 282:20388-94. 2007..pombe Ulp2/Smt4 homolog that, when overexpressed, reduced SUMO levels and suppressed the DNA damage sensitivity of rfp1Delta rfp2Delta cells...
- Daxx mediates the small ubiquitin-like modifier-dependent transcriptional repression of Smad4Che Chang Chang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Biol Chem 280:10164-73. 2005..Together, these results indicate that Daxx suppresses Smad4-mediated transcriptional activity by direct interaction with the sumoylated Smad4 and identify a novel role of Daxx in regulating transforming growth factor beta signaling...
- Novel proteomics strategy brings insight into the prevalence of SUMO-2 target sitesHenri A Blomster
Department of Biology, Abo Akademi University and University of Turku, FI 20521 Turku, Finland
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1382-90. 2009..Given that different types of motifs are bound by Ubc9 using alternative mechanisms, our data suggest that the preference of SUMO-2 targeting mechanism depends on the biological function of the substrate...
- Regulation of DNA repair throughout the cell cycleDana Branzei
FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology Foundation, Via Adamello 16, 20139 Milan, Italy
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9:297-308. 2008..Recent studies have provided insights into the mechanisms that contribute to DNA repair in specific cell-cycle phases and have highlighted the mechanisms that ensure cell-cycle progression or arrest in normal and cancerous cells...
- Emerging extranuclear roles of protein SUMOylation in neuronal function and dysfunctionStephane Martin
MRC Centre for Synaptic Plasticity, Department of Anatomy, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Walk, Bristol, BS8 1TD, UK
Nat Rev Neurosci 8:948-59. 2007....
- Activation of the Slx5-Slx8 ubiquitin ligase by poly-small ubiquitin-like modifier conjugatesJanet R Mullen
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Biol Chem 283:19912-21. 2008..Slx5-Slx8 primarily mono-ubiquitinated the N-terminal SUMO moiety of the chain. These data indicate that the Slx5-Slx8 Ub ligase is stimulated by poly-SUMO conjugates and that it can ubiquitinate a poly-SUMO chain...
- Genetic and proteomic evidence for roles of Drosophila SUMO in cell cycle control, Ras signaling, and early pattern formationMinghua Nie
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5905. 2009..In addition, our database of sumoylated proteins provides a valuable resource for those studying the roles of SUMO in development...
- Expression of SUMO-2/3 induced senescence through p53- and pRB-mediated pathwaysTianwei Li
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Proteomics Core Facility, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36221-7. 2006..Together, our results reveal that p53 and pRB can be sumoylated by SUMO-2/3 in vivo, and such modification of p53 and pRB may play roles in premature senescence and stress response...
- The structure of SENP1-SUMO-2 complex suggests a structural basis for discrimination between SUMO paralogues during processingLin Nan Shen
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland KY16 9ST, UK
Biochem J 397:279-88. 2006....
- SUMO association with repressor complexes, emerging routes for transcriptional controlMario Garcia-Dominguez
Centro Andaluz de Biologia Molecular y Medicina Regenerativa CABIMER, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Av Americo Vespucio, 41092 Seville, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1789:451-9. 2009....
- A mechanism for inhibiting the SUMO pathwayRoberto Boggio
European Institute of Oncology, Department of Experimental Oncology, 20141 Milan, Italy
Mol Cell 16:549-61. 2004..They also point out once again to the extraordinary ability of eukaryotic viruses to interfere with the biology of host cells by targeting fundamental biochemical processes...
- The protein stability and transcriptional activity of p63alpha are regulated by SUMO-1 conjugationPamela Ghioni
Department of Biomolecular and Biotechnological Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Cell Cycle 4:183-90. 2005..The findings that DeltaNp63alpha protein levels are regulated by SUMO-1 and that this regulation is altered in natural p63 mutants, suggest that SUMO conjugation to p63 plays a critical role in regulating the biological activity of p63...
- Rad52 sumoylation and its involvement in the efficient induction of homologous recombinationTakashi Ohuchi
Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Aoba 6 3, Aramaki, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
DNA Repair (Amst) 7:879-89. 2008....
- SUMO-2/3 regulates topoisomerase II in mitosisYoshiaki Azuma
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 5431, USA
J Cell Biol 163:477-87. 2003..Together, our results suggest that SUMO conjugation is important for chromosome segregation in metazoan systems, and that mobilization of topoisomerase II from mitotic chromatin may be a key target of this modification...
- SUMOylation of the MAGUK protein CASK regulates dendritic spinogenesisHsu Wen Chao
Graduate Institute of Life Science, National Defense Medical Center, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
J Cell Biol 182:141-55. 2008..1. Overexpression of a CASK-SUMO1 fusion construct, which mimicks CASK SUMOylation, impairs spine formation. Our study suggests that CASK contributes to spinogenesis and that this is controlled by SUMOylation...
- Sumoylation of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins, zinc finger proteins, and nuclear pore complex proteins: a proteomic analysisTianwei Li
Laboratory of Biochemistry, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 8012, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8551-6. 2004..In view of the facts that hnRNPs have been implicated in RNA splicing, transport, stability, and translation, our findings suggest that sumoylation could play an important role in regulating mRNA metabolism...
- Transcriptional activity of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma is modulated by SUMO-1 modificationTakayuki Ohshima
Department of Viral Oncology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:29551-7. 2004..These results suggest that the PPARgamma-dependent transactivation pathway seems to be modulated by SUMO-1 modification and may serve as a novel target for apoptosis-induction therapy in cancer cells...
- Sumoylation of the budding yeast kinetochore protein Ndc10 is required for Ndc10 spindle localization and regulation of anaphase spindle elongationBen Montpetit
Michael Smith Laboratories, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
J Cell Biol 174:653-63. 2006..These data suggest that sumoylation of Ndc10 and other kinetochore proteins play a critical role during the mitotic process...
- Functional targeting of DNA damage to a nuclear pore-associated SUMO-dependent ubiquitin ligaseShigeki Nagai
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Science 322:597-602. 2008..This suggests that strand breaks are shunted to nuclear pores for a repair pathway controlled by a conserved SUMO-dependent E3 ligase...
- SIZ1/SIZ2 control of chromosome transmission fidelity is mediated by the sumoylation of topoisomerase IIYoshimitsu Takahashi
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genetics 172:783-94. 2006..We propose a model for the positive control of the centromeric pool of Top2p, required for high segregation fidelity, by Smt3p modification...
- SUMO: ligases, isopeptidases and nuclear poresFrauke Melchior
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Trends Biochem Sci 28:612-8. 2003..In addition, studies in yeast suggest a requirement of SUMO conjugation for nuclear protein import, and specific SUMO targets depend on modification for nuclear import or export...
- A calcium-regulated MEF2 sumoylation switch controls postsynaptic differentiationAryaman Shalizi
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 77 Louis Pasteur Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 311:1012-7. 2006..Our findings define a mechanism underlying postsynaptic differentiation that may modulate activity-dependent synapse development and plasticity in the brain...
- Enzymes of the SUMO modification pathway localize to filaments of the nuclear pore complexHong Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6498-508. 2002..Our results indicate that both SUMO modification and demodification of proteins may occur at the NPC and suggest a connection between the SUMO modification pathway and nucleocytoplasmic transport...
- Preparation of SUMO proteases and kinetic analysis using endogenous substratesDavid Reverter
Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Methods Mol Biol 497:225-39. 2009..We will also describe methods for kinetic analysis of SUMO deconjugation and maturation using endogenous substrates...
- Genetic analysis connects SLX5 and SLX8 to the SUMO pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeZheng Wang
Department of Molecular Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Genetics 172:1499-509. 2006....
- PIAS1 and PIASxalpha function as SUMO-E3 ligases toward androgen receptor and repress androgen receptor-dependent transcriptionTamotsu Nishida
Division of Molecular Biology, School of Life Science, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:41311-7. 2002..Thus, PIAS1 and PIASxalpha modulate the AR-dependent transactivation, which, at least in part, can be attributed to their SUMO-E3 activity toward AR...
- Positive and negative regulation of APP amyloidogenesis by sumoylationYonghong Li
Scios, Inc, 820 West Maude Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:259-64. 2003..These findings provide a regulatory mechanism in APP amyloidogenesis and suggest that components in the sumoylation pathway may be critical in AD onset or progression...
- Functional characterization of TIP60 sumoylation in UV-irradiated DNA damage responseZ Cheng
Cellular Dynamics, Hefei National Laboratory, Hefei, China
Oncogene 27:931-41. 2008..Thus, this study shed new light on the function and regulation of TIP60 activity in UV-irradiated DNA damage response...
- Assembly of a polymeric chain of SUMO1 on human topoisomerase I in vitroMeiluen Yang
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Life Science, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 281:8264-74. 2006..These results offer new insight into hTOP1 polysumoylation in response to TOP1-mediated DNA damage and may have general implications in protein polysumoylation...
- Mapping residues of SUMO precursors essential in differential maturation by SUMO-specific protease, SENP1Zheng Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Biochem J 386:325-30. 2005..Taken together, we suggest that the observed differential maturation process has its physiological significance in the regulation of the sumoylation pathway...
- A novel method for high accuracy sumoylation site prediction from protein sequencesJialin Xu
The Key Laboratory of Bioinformatics, Ministry of Education, China, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 100084, China
BMC Bioinformatics 9:8. 2008..In this regard, computational approaches might represent a promising method to direct experimental identification of sumoylation sites and shed light on the understanding of the reaction mechanism...
- PDSM, a motif for phosphorylation-dependent SUMO modificationVille Hietakangas
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku and Abo Akademi University, FI 20521, Turku, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:45-50. 2006..As the first recurrent sumoylation determinant beyond the consensus tetrapeptide, the PDSM provides a valuable tool in predicting new SUMO substrates...
- Overproduction of eukaryotic SUMO-1- and SUMO-2-conjugated proteins in Escherichia coliYasuhiro Uchimura
Department of Regeneration Medicine, Institute of Molecular Embryology Genetics, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
Anal Biochem 331:204-6. 2004
- SUMO fusions and SUMO-specific protease for efficient expression and purification of proteinsMichael P Malakhov
LifeSensors, Inc, 271 Great Valley Parkway, Malvern, PA 19355, USA
J Struct Funct Genomics 5:75-86. 2004....
- The fast-growing business of SUMO chainsHelle D Ulrich
Clare Hall Laboratories, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Blanche Lane, South Mimms, EN6 3LD, UK
Mol Cell 32:301-5. 2008..Like ubiquitin itself, the small ubiquitin-related modifier SUMO can form polymeric chains on many of its targets. Recent analyses have provided evidence for a number of distinct biological functions of the poly-SUMO signal...
- Stabilization of PML nuclear localization by conjugation and oligomerization of SUMO-3Chuanhai Fu
School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
Oncogene 24:5401-13. 2005..Taken together, our studies provide first line of evidence showing that SUMO-3 is essential for PML localization and offer novel insight into the pathobiochemistry of APL...
- The SUMO pathway is essential for nuclear integrity and chromosome segregation in miceKarim Nacerddine
Unité d Organisation Nucléaire et Oncogénèse, INSERM U 579, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Dev Cell 9:769-79. 2005..Together, these findings reveal a major role for Ubc9, and, by implication, for the SUMO pathway, in nuclear architecture and function, chromosome segregation, and embryonic viability in mammals...
- SUMO-specific proteases: a twist in the tailRonald Thomas Hay
Sir James Black Centre, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
Trends Cell Biol 17:370-6. 2007..Processing of SUMO precursors is mediated by SUMO-specific proteases that also remove SUMO from modified proteins and depolymerise poly-SUMO chains...
- SUMO modification of a novel MAR-binding protein, SATB2, modulates immunoglobulin mu gene expressionGergana Dobreva
Gene Center and Institute of Biochemistry, University of Munich, Munich 81377, Germany
Genes Dev 17:3048-61. 2003..Sumoylation is also involved in targeting SATB2 to the nuclear periphery, raising the possibility that this reversible modification of a MAR-binding protein may contribute to the modulation of subnuclear DNA localization...
- Identification of the enzyme required for activation of the small ubiquitin-like protein SUMO-1J M Desterro
School of Biomedical Science, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife KY169ST Scotland
J Biol Chem 274:10618-24. 1999..As SAE1/SAE2, Ubch9, SUMO-1, and IkappaBalpha are all homogeneous, recombinant proteins, it appears that SUMO-1 conjugation of IkappaBalpha in vitro does not require the equivalent of an E3 ubiquitin protein ligase activity...
- Sumoylation of Oct4 enhances its stability, DNA binding, and transactivationFang Wei
Department of Animal Biology, Mari Lowe Center for Comparative Oncology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 282:21551-60. 2007..Therefore, sumoylation of Oct4 results in increased stability, DNA binding, and transactivation and provides an important mechanism to regulate Oct4 activity...
- Role of SUMO in the dynamics of telomere maintenance in fission yeastBlerta Xhemalce
Unite de la Dynamique du Génome, Unité Organisation Nucléaire et Oncogénèse, INSERM U579, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:893-8. 2007..Instead, sumoylation increases telomerase activity, therefore suggesting that this modification controls the activity of a positive or negative regulator of telomerase...
- SIRT1 sumoylation regulates its deacetylase activity and cellular response to genotoxic stressYonghua Yang
Departments of Pathology and Cell Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, 12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd, Tampa, Florida 33612 4799, USA
Nat Cell Biol 9:1253-62. 2007....
- Cell biology: SUMOErik Meulmeester
Nature 452:709-11. 2008
- Mutual interactions between the SUMO and ubiquitin systems: a plea of no contestHelle D Ulrich
Cancer Research UK, Clare Hall Laboratories, South Mimms, Herts, UK
Trends Cell Biol 15:525-32. 2005..This article gives an overview of target proteins that can serve as substrates for both SUMO and ubiquitin to highlight the diversity of regulatory strategies that result from the crosstalk between the two modification systems...
- Detection of protein SUMOylation in vivoMichael H Tatham
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Nat Protoc 4:1363-71. 2009..In preliminary form, this protocol takes 4-5 d to perform, and it can be further elaborated to provide a multi-angled approach to investigate protein conjugation by SUMO...
- SUMO--nonclassical ubiquitinF Melchior
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, Martinsried bei Munchen, D 82152 Germany
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 16:591-626. 2000..While most SUMO targets are still at large, available data provide compelling evidence for a role of SUMO in the regulation of protein-protein interactions and/or subcellular localization...
- SUMO is growing senescentOliver Bischof
Unité d Organisation Nucléaire et Oncogenèse INSERM U579, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Cell Cycle 6:677-81. 2007..Here, we discuss some of the implications for this novel connection and future directions to study in more detail the importance of the SUMO pathway in senescence and tumorigenesis...
- SUMO-2/3 modification and binding regulate the association of CENP-E with kinetochores and progression through mitosisXiang Dong Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Mol Cell 29:729-41. 2008..Our findings indicate that SUMOylation is a key regulator of the mammalian cell cycle, with SUMO-1 and SUMO-2/3 modification of different proteins regulating distinct processes...
- Parallel SUMOylation-dependent pathways mediate gene- and signal-specific transrepression by LXRs and PPARgammaSerena Ghisletti
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Mol Cell 25:57-70. 2007..These studies define parallel but functionally distinct pathways that are utilized by PPARgamma and LXRs to differentially regulate complex programs of gene expression that control immunity and homeostasis...
- Role of the fission yeast SUMO E3 ligase Pli1p in centromere and telomere maintenanceBlerta Xhemalce
Unite de la Dynamique du Génome, Institut Pasteur, Paris Cedex, France
EMBO J 23:3844-53. 2004..Altogether, these results strongly suggest that Pli1p, and by extension sumoylation, is involved in mechanisms that regulate recombination in particular heterochromatic repeated sequences...
- A functional variant of SUMO4, a new I kappa B alpha modifier, is associated with type 1 diabetesDehuang Guo
Center for Biotechnology and Genomic Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, CA4098, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Nat Genet 36:837-41. 2004..5 times greater NF kappa B transcriptional activity and approximately 2 times greater expression of IL12B, an NF kappa B-dependent gene. These findings suggest a new pathway that may be implicated in the pathogenesis of T1D...
- Beginning at the end with SUMOMichael J Matunis
Nat Struct Mol Biol 12:565-6. 2005
- Control of MEF2 transcriptional activity by coordinated phosphorylation and sumoylationSerge Gregoire
Molecular Oncology Group, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:4423-33. 2006....
- Characterization of a family of nucleolar SUMO-specific proteases with preference for SUMO-2 or SUMO-3Limin Gong
Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 281:15869-77. 2006..Thus, SENP3 and SENP5 constitute a subfamily of SENPs that regulate the formation of SUMO-2 or SUMO-3 conjugates and, to a less extent, SUMO-1 modification...
- Smt3, a SUMO-1 homolog, is conjugated to Cdc3, a component of septin rings at the mother-bud neck in budding yeastY Takahashi
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 259:582-7. 1999..Around the time of cytokinesis the Cdc3-Smt3 conjugate disappeared. We discuss the biological significance of this Smt3 conjugation to a septin component...
- The ubiquitin-like protein Smt3p is activated for conjugation to other proteins by an Aos1p/Uba2p heterodimerE S Johnson
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
EMBO J 16:5509-19. 1997..Furthermore, UBA2 and AOS1 are both essential genes, providing additional evidence that they act in a distinct pathway whose role in cell viability is to conjugate Smt3p to other proteins...
- Small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO) binding determines substrate recognition and paralog-selective SUMO modificationJianmei Zhu
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 283:29405-15. 2008....
- Regulation of p53 family members by the ubiquitin-like SUMO systemPer Stehmeier
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
DNA Repair (Amst) 8:491-8. 2009..Here we will give a synopsis of the multifaceted effects of SUMO on p53 family members...
- A proteomic strategy for gaining insights into protein sumoylation in yeastCarilee Denison
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 4:246-54. 2005..These data combine with recent works to further our understanding of the breadth and impact of protein sumoylation in a diverse array of biological processes...
- SUSP1 antagonizes formation of highly SUMO2/3-conjugated speciesDebaditya Mukhopadhyay
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Biol 174:939-49. 2006..Together, our findings argue that SUSP1 may play a specialized role in dismantling highly conjugated SUMO2 and -3 species that is critical for PML body maintenance...
- A genome-wide analysis of sumoylation-related biological processes and functions in human nucleusFengfeng Zhou
National High Performance Computing Center at Hefei, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
FEBS Lett 579:3369-75. 2005..g., perception of sound. These potential SUMO substrates in human are of great value for further in vivo or in vitro experimental analysis...
- In vivo identification of human small ubiquitin-like modifier polymerization sites by high accuracy mass spectrometry and an in vitro to in vivo strategyIvan Matic
Department of Proteomics and Signal Transduction, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:132-44. 2008..The developed methodology is generic and can be adapted for the identification of other sumoylation sites in complex samples...
- Association with class IIa histone deacetylases upregulates the sumoylation of MEF2 transcription factorsSerge Gregoire
Molecular Oncology Group, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, 687 Pine Ave West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A1, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 25:2273-87. 2005..These results thus identify sumoylation as a novel regulatory mechanism for MEF2 and suggest that this modification interplays with phosphorylation to promote intramolecular signaling for coordinated regulation in vivo...
- Sumo-1 function is dispensable in normal mouse developmentFu Ping Zhang
University of Helsinki, Institute of Biomedicine Physiology, Biomedicum Helsinki, P O Box 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, FI 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Mol Cell Biol 28:5381-90. 2008..Collectively, our results support the notion that most, if not all, SUMO-1 functions are compensated for in vivo by SUMO-2 and SUMO-3...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling initiates a dynamic interplay between sumoylation and ubiquitination to regulate the activity of the transcriptional activator PEA3Baoqiang Guo
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 29:3204-18. 2009....
- SUMO and transcriptional regulationDavid W H Girdwood
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, School of Biology, University of St Andrews, North Haugh, St Andrews KY16 9ST, UK
Semin Cell Dev Biol 15:201-10. 2004..In most cases, however, SUMO modification of transcription factors leads to repression and various models to explain this, ranging from retention in nuclear bodies to recruitment of histone deacetylases are discussed...
- Distinct in vivo dynamics of vertebrate SUMO paraloguesFerhan Ayaydin
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 5431, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:5208-18. 2004....
- Down-regulation of c-Fos/c-Jun AP-1 dimer activity by sumoylationGuillaume Bossis
Institute of Molecular Genetics of Montpellier, UMR5535 IFR122, CNRS 1919, France
Mol Cell Biol 25:6964-79. 2005..This supports the idea that this modification does not constitute a final inactivation step that necessarily precedes protein degradation...
- Global map of SUMO function revealed by protein-protein interaction and genetic networksTaras Makhnevych
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, University of Toronto, 160 College Street, Toronto, ON M5S3E1, Canada
Mol Cell 33:124-35. 2009....
- Drosophila Ulp1, a nuclear pore-associated SUMO protease, prevents accumulation of cytoplasmic SUMO conjugatesMatthew Smith
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1569, USA
J Biol Chem 279:43805-14. 2004..We hypothesize that, as a component of the nuclear pore complex, Ulp1 may prevent proteins from leaving the nucleus with SUMO still attached...
- A basis for SUMO protease specificity provided by analysis of human Senp2 and a Senp2-SUMO complexDavid Reverter
Structural Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York 10021, USA
Structure 12:1519-31. 2004....
- SUMO4 M55V variant is associated with diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetesHsing Yi Lin
Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, 100 Shih Chuan 1st Rd, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
Diabetes 56:1177-80. 2007..CONCLUSIONS-This study indicates that the SUMO4 gene M55V variant is associated with severity of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Regulation and function of SUMO modificationRoland S Hilgarth
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry and Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Biol Chem 279:53899-902. 2004
- Assessing the validity of the association between the SUMO4 M55V variant and risk of type 1 diabetesDeborah J Smyth
Nat Genet 37:110-1; author reply 112-3. 2005
- Characterization of mouse ubiquitin-like SMT3A and SMT3B cDNAs and gene/pseudogenesA Chen
Department of Biological Sciences, National Sun Yat Sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Biochem Mol Biol Int 46:1161-74. 1998..Here we report the characterization of mouse SMT3A and SMT3B cDNAs, gene/pseudogenes, and mRNA expression...
- Tying SUMO modifications to dynamic behaviors of chromosomes during meiotic prophase of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeChun Hsu Cheng
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 115, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 14:481-90. 2007..This review discusses recent studies related to the role of small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) modification in controlling the overall budding yeast chromosome dynamics during meiotic prophase...
- A proteomic study of SUMO-2 target proteinsAlfred C O Vertegaal
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:33791-8. 2004..SART1 and heterogeneous nuclear RNP M were both shown to be genuine SUMO targets, confirming the validity of the approach...
- Protein inhibitor of activated STAT Y (PIASy) and a splice variant lacking exon 6 enhance sumoylation but are not essential for embryogenesis and adult lifeKelly A Wong
Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:5577-86. 2004..Our study demonstrates that at steady state, PIASy is either dispensable or compensated for by other PIAS family members or by other mechanisms when deleted...
- Signalling pathways and the regulation of SUMO modificationB Guo
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 35:1414-8. 2007..Further intricacies in signalling pathway interactions are hinted at through the growing number of examples of cross-talk between different post-translational modifications and SUMO modification...
- A New Family of Voltage-gated Potassium Channel Regulaory SubunitsSteve A N Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..This revised application seeks to address concerns raised in the first review cycle. ..
- PATHOBIOCHEMISTRY OF ACUTE PROMYELOCYTIC LEUKEMIAEdward Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies should provide novel insights into the mechanism and function of sentrinization and increase our understanding of the pathogenesis of acute promyelocytic leukemia. ..
- STUDIES OF THE SENTRIN FAMILY OF UBIQUITIN-LIKE PROTEINSEdward Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies should provide novel insights into the mechanism and function of sentrinization and increase our understanding of the pathogenesis of acute promyelocytic leukemia. ..
- AUTOANTIGEN RNA HELICASE II/GUBenigno Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study may also provide an impetus for understanding the pathological roles of RH-II/Gu on the elicitation of autoimmune responses. ..
- Cellular Regulation of Papillomavirus E1 FunctionVAN WILSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Screening:Oncogene RAS-Based Inhibi*(RMI)Xiaodong Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NMR STUDIES OF PROTEIN INTERACTIONS IN UBIQUITINATIONYuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Modifiers of Polyglutamine ToxicityAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such outcomes will have general impact by furthering our understanding of disease pathogenesis and by yielding a mouse model that faithfully recapitulates the human disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SUMO fusion for genome-wide protein analysisTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2006..Development of a system that enhances expression of proteins and offers rapid purification tools at the genomic level will greatly aid post-genomic expression and protein array technologies. ..
- SUMO Fusions to Enhance Expression and Secretion of ProtiensTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also create an inexpensive platform for endotoxin free protein production that will help the biopharmaceutical industry in the post-genomic era. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of a Novel Method to Enhance Therapeutic Protein ProductionTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2008..We have proposed the novel use of our previously demonstrated fusion proteins. Such a strategy would likely increase the quantity and quality of protein expression in therapeutics development. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of nuclear receptor function through SUMO ModificationJORGE INIGUEZ LLUHI; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The Enzymatic Pathway of a Ubiquitin-Like ModificationYuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Structure/Function of Steroid Receptor AF1 CoregulatorsJORGE INIGUEZ LLUHI; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will then identify mammalian counterparts and begin to ascertain their role in AF1 function using some of the assays outlined in Aims 1 and 2. ..
- NMR Studies of Ku70 and Ku80 DomainsYuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study should also improve our understanding of the structural biology of DNA repair in general. ..
- Modifiers of Potassium Channel Function and ExpressionGAIL ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Altered Androgen Receptor Function Due to CAG ExpansionAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such outcomes will have general impact because this new knowledge will suggest novel targets for the treatment of this and related diseases. ..
- Secretion of Ubiquitin-fusion ProteinsTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2002..The production of a kit incorporating these improvements could lead to a more reliable method of expressing and purifying proteins from all organisms. ..
- REGULATION OF SUMO CONJUGATION TO THE YEAST SEPTINSErica Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Consequently, the fundamental understanding of SUMO conjugation provided by these studies should illuminate the role of SUMO not only in yeast septin function but also in inflammation and cancer. ..
- PICORNAVIRAL 3A PROTEINS AND HOST PROTEIN SECRETIONKarla Kirkegaard; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is anticipated that this method will allow the regulation of the antigen presentation to the cellular immune response by picornaviral-based vectors, which could be crucial in vaccine design. ..
- Multivalent Antigen Expression and Vaccine for MalariaTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that a highly efficient method of expression of multiple and ubiquitinated antigens will be a novel solution in the development of malaria vaccine. ..
- Identification of Novel Cisplatin Resistance GenesRuea Yea Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Evaluation of these targets may identify new biomarkers for pre-treatment screening of tumor samples for mutations that could allow for the identification of patients who are unlikely to benefit from cisplatin treatment. ..
- High-Throughput Protein NMR ProteomicsATHAN SHAKA; Fiscal Year: 2006..Incorporation of the optimized FDM algorithm into the NMRPipe software suite, supported by NIH, will allow its use in many laboratories. ..
- b-TrCP E3 Ligase in CLLBenjamin Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A high throughput screening assay for the identification of SUMOylation inhibitorYuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: [unreadable] The overall goal of this proposal is to perform high throughput screening assays (HTS) to identify inhibitors for SUMOylation. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Fusion System to Prolong Plasma Half-Life of ProteinsTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Development of a new and simple technology that prolongs plasma half-life of proteins will be a major advance in biopharmaceuticals. ..
- The Cell Biology of Theiler's Virus Persistence in CNSKarla Kirkegaard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together, this model may prove a paradigm for the functional transfer of infectious material from neurons to oligodendrocytes, and from thence to cells of the immune system. ..
- A conditional null mutant of the mouse Npc1 geneAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF TRANSCRIPTIONAL REPRESSION BY TGIFDavid Wotton; Fiscal Year: 2010..TGIF is amplified in esophageal tumors, which are more resistant to TGF beta mediated growth inhibition, suggesting a role for TGIF in tumorigenesis. ..
- Development of a novel catalytic arrayTAUSEEF BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Phase II, arrays will be built consisting of all known DUBS for ubiquitin and relevant ubiquitin-like proteins. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- POLIOVIRUS 3D--COOPERATIVE RNA BINDING & POLYMERIZATIONKarla Kirkegaard; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we provide a genetic rationale for choosing oligomeric proteins as antiviral targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BH3-only protein BNIP3 in tumor progressionGOVINDASWAMY CHINNADURAI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our results may also provide the experimental support to suggest that BNIP3 may be a new prognostic marker for human cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Apoptosis Signaling: BH3 to BH123 ProteinsGOVINDASWAMY CHINNADURAI; Fiscal Year: 2008..The knowledge gained would be valuable in modulating the activity of BAX in cancer and in degenerative diseases. ..
- Isopeptide inhibitors for cancer chemotherapyBenjamin Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Compounds that are shown by the assay to inhibit DEN 1 will be evaluated further, and the best of these will be proposed for further development as antitumor agents. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GATING MECHANISMS OF HERG AND RELATED CHANNELSGAIL ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..If the aims of this proposal are achieved a more detailed picture of HERG gating will emerge along with a greater understanding of the physiology of HERG-related channels in the heart. ..