Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cell surface receptors that bind CORTICOTROPIN; (ACTH, adrenocorticotropic hormone) with high affinity and trigger intracellular changes. Pharmacology suggests there may be multiple ACTH receptors. An ACTH receptor has been cloned and belongs to a subfamily of G-protein-coupled receptors. In addition to the adrenal cortex, ACTH receptors are found in the brain and immune systems.
Publications219 found, 100 shown here
- The cloning of a family of genes that encode the melanocortin receptorsK G Mountjoy
Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
Science 257:1248-51. 1992..The murine and human MSH receptors (MSH-Rs) and a human ACTH receptor (ACTH-R) were cloned. These receptors define a subfamily of receptors coupled to guanine nucleotide-binding proteins that may include the cannabinoid receptor...
- Interactions between the melanocortin system and leptin in control of sympathetic nerve trafficW G Haynes
Hypertension Genetics Specialized Center of Research, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City 52242, USA
Hypertension 33:542-7. 1999..Our data also suggest that leptin increases renal SNA through activation of hypothalamic melanocortin receptors. In contrast, sympathoactivation to thermogenic BAT by leptin appears to be independent of the melanocortin system...
- Familial glucocorticoid deficiency associated with point mutation in the adrenocorticotropin receptorA J Clark
Department of Endocrinology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, UK
Lancet 341:461-2. 1993..This is only the second clinical disorder associated with a GTP-binding-protein-linked hormone-receptor mutation...
- The melanocortin-1 receptor is a key regulator of human cutaneous pigmentationZ Abdel-Malek
University of Cincinnati, Ohio, 45267 592, USA
Pigment Cell Res 13:156-62. 2000..These results begin to elucidate the significance of MC1R variants in the function of the receptor. Our data emphasize the significance of a normally functioning MC1R in the response of melanocytes to melanocortins, ASP, and UVR...
- Central melanocortin receptors regulate insulin actionS Obici
Diabetes Research and Training Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA 10461
J Clin Invest 108:1079-85. 2001..Our findings elucidate a neuroendocrine network that is likely to play a central role in the coupling of energy intake and insulin action...
- Clinical, genetic, and functional characterization of adrenocorticotropin receptor mutations using a novel receptor assayChrista E Flück
Department of Pediatrics and Metabolic Research Unit, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0978, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4318-23. 2002..This assay provides excellent sensitivity in an easily assayed transient transfection system, providing a more rapid and efficient measurement of ACTH receptor activity...
- Hereditary isolated glucocorticoid deficiency is associated with abnormalities of the adrenocorticotropin receptor geneC Tsigos
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Clin Invest 92:2458-61. 1993..We conclude that IGD in this family appears to be due to defects of the ACTH receptor gene. The oCRH test appears to be useful in ascertaining heterozygosity in this syndrome...
- Role of melanocortin-4 receptors in mediating renal sympathoactivation to leptin and insulinKamal Rahmouni
Hypertension Genetics Specialized Center of Research, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa and the Veterans Administration Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Neurosci 23:5998-6004. 2003..In addition, the renal sympathoexcitatory responses to leptin and insulin are dependent on the MC-4R, demonstrating an important role for the MC-4R in the regulation of renal sympathetic nerve outflow by leptin and insulin...
- Hypothalamic, metabolic, and behavioral responses to pharmacological inhibition of CNS melanocortin signaling in ratsT Adage
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Groningen, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 21:3639-45. 2001..e., CART, POMC, and NPY) and paraventricular (i.e., CRH) hypothalamus. The results indicate that reduced activity of the CNS MC pathway promotes fat deposition via both food intake-dependent and -independent mechanisms...
- Hypothalamic melanocortin receptors and chronic regulation of arterial pressure and renal functionJay J Kuo
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Center of Excellence in Cardiovascular Renal Research, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Hypertension 41:768-74. 2003..These observations are consistent with the hypothesis that an intact hypothalamic MC3/4-R may be necessary for excess weight gain to raise arterial pressure...
- Demonstration by transfection studies that mutations in the adrenocorticotropin receptor gene are one cause of the hereditary syndrome of glucocorticoid deficiencyD Naville
INSERM INRA U 418, Hopital Debrousse, Lyon, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1442-8. 1996..For the mutant receptors, no response to physiological ACTH concentrations was detected, suggesting an impaired binding of ACTH to the receptors and/or an altered coupling to the adenylate cyclase effector...
- Distribution of cDNA for melanocortin receptor subtypes in human tissuesV Chhajlani
Department of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, Division of Pharmaceutical Bioscience, Uppsala, Sweden
Biochem Mol Biol Int 38:73-80. 1996....
- Human melanocortin 1 receptor variants, receptor function and melanocyte response to UV radiationM Cathy Scott
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, PO Box 670592, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0592, USA
J Cell Sci 115:2349-55. 2002..We conclude that loss-of-function mutations in the MC1R gene sensitize human melanocytes to the DNA damaging effects of UV radiation, which may increase skin cancer risk...
- Central melanocortin receptor agonist reduces spontaneous and scheduled meal size but does not augment duodenal preload-induced feeding inhibitionAnthony V Azzara
Bourne Behavioral Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, NY Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, 21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Physiol Behav 77:411-6. 2002....
- Regulation of the human melanocortin 1 receptor expression in epidermal melanocytes by paracrine and endocrine factors and by ultraviolet radiationM Cathy Scott
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 592, USA
Pigment Cell Res 15:433-9. 2002..Differences in the responses of NHM to some of these factors suggest differential regulation of MC1R gene expression, which may contribute to the variation in constitutive and UV-induced cutaneous pigmentation in humans...
- Anti-inflammatory potential of melanocortin receptor-directed drugsA Skottner
Melacure Therapeutics AB, Ulleråkersvägen 38, SE 756 43 Uppsala, Sweden
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:84-9. 2003....
- Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor-alpha stimulated NFkappaB/p65 in human keratinocytes by alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone and adrenocorticotropic hormone peptidesManar Moustafa
University of Sheffield, Section of Medicine, Division of Clinical Sciences, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Invest Dermatol 119:1244-53. 2002....
- Molecular and behavioral interactions between central melanocortins and cocaineJohn D Alvaro
Division of Molecular Psychiatry, Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut Mental Health Center, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 304:391-9. 2003..These data further support a role for the melanocortin-MC4-R neuropeptide system in the biochemical and behavioral effects of cocaine...
- Effects of acute and chronic administration of the melanocortin agonist MTII in mice with diet-induced obesityDominique D Pierroz
Division of Endocrinology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 51:1337-45. 2002..In conclusion, treatment with a melanocortin agonist is a promising therapeutic approach to DIO and associated insulin resistance...
- Evidence for expression of melanocortin-1 receptor in human sebocytes in vitro and in situMarkus Bohm
Department of Dermatology and Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cell Biology and Immunobiology of the Skin, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 118:533-9. 2002..By modulating interleukin-8 secretion, alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone may act as a modulator of inflammatory responses in the pilosebaceous unit...
- Alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone potentiates p16/CDKN2A expression in human skin after ultraviolet irradiationSandra Pavey
Joint Oncology Program, Department of Pathology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia
Cancer Res 62:875-80. 2002..This link between p16 and MC1R may provide a molecular basis for the increased skin cancer risk associated with MC1R polymorphisms...
- Cysteine residues are involved in structure and function of melanocortin 1 receptor: Substitution of a cysteine residue in transmembrane segment two converts an agonist to antagonistP A Frändberg
Division of Biological Research on Drug Dependence, Biomedical Centre, Uppsala, S 751 24, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 281:851-7. 2001....
- Effects of melanocortin peptides on lipopolysaccharide/interferon-gamma-induced NF-kappaB DNA binding and nitric oxide production in macrophage-like RAW 264.7 cells: evidence for dual mechanisms of actionI Mandrika
Department of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, Uppsala University, Box 591, BMC, SE-75124, Uppsala, Sweden
Biochem Pharmacol 61:613-21. 2001..We suggest that melanocortin peptides act via dual mechanisms of action: one cAMP-independent and causing inhibition of NF-kappaB translocation and the other dependent on MC(1) receptor/cAMP activation...
- Melanocortin-1 receptor gene variants in four Chinese ethnic populationsS Peng
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Evolution, Kunming Institute of Zoology, The Chinese Academy of Sciences
Cell Res 11:81-4. 2001..The different environments, migration and admixture of various ethnic groups in China might have impact on the observed frequency of Arg163Gln...
- Design of new small cyclic melanocortin receptor-binding peptides using molecular modelling: Role of the His residue in the melanocortin peptide coreP Prusis
Department of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, Uppsala University, SE-751 24, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Med Chem 36:137-46. 2001..The data indicate that the His residue of the small rigid cyclic MSH core peptides does not participate in binding with the melanocortin receptors...
- The gamma(2)-MSH peptide mediates a central analgesic effect via a GABA-ergic mechanism that is independent from activation of melanocortin receptorsV Klusa
1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia
Neuropeptides 35:50-7. 2001..Moreover, the mechanism for gamma(2)-MSH's analgesic effect appears to be distinct from that causing moderate catalepsia by gamma-MSH's...
- Antagonist and agonist activities of the mouse agouti protein fragment (91-131) at the melanocortin-1 receptorA N Eberle
Laboratory of Endocrinology, Department of Research, University Hospital and University Children s Hospital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 21:25-45. 2001....
- Interaction of melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH), neuropeptide E-I (NEI), neuropeptide G-E (NGE), and alpha-MSH with melanocortin and MCH receptors on mouse B16 melanoma cellsE Hintermann
Laboratory of Endocrinology, Department of Research (ZLF, University Hospital and University Children's Hospital, CH-4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 21:93-116. 2001..This shows that mammalian MCH-precursor-derived peptides may mimic MSH signalling via MC1-R activation at relatively high, but physiologically still relevant concentrations, as e.g. found in autocrine/paracrine signalling mechanisms...
- Thr40 and Met122 are new partial loss-of-function natural mutations of the human melanocortin 1 receptorC Jimenez-Cervantes
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, University of Murcia, Apto 4021, 30100 Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
FEBS Lett 508:44-8. 2001..The Val122Met form failed to achieve maximal cAMP responses comparable to the wild-type or Ile40Thr receptors. Thus, the Ile40Thr and Val122Met variants are partial loss-of-function natural mutations of MC1R...
- Melanocortin receptor agonist transiently increases oxygen consumption in ratsL Jonsson
Department of Physiology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Neuroreport 12:3703-8. 2001..This is the first study that describes long term effects of MC receptor agonist and antagonist on metabolism and energy balance...
- Homologous regulation of melanocortin-1 receptor (MC1R) expression in melanoma tumor cells in vivoSylvie Froidevaux
Laboratory of Endocrinology, Department of Research, University Hospital and University Children s Hospital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 22:111-21. 2002..These results demonstrate the importance of in vivo receptor regulation studies, in particular in view of the potential use of MC1R as a target for melanoma therapy...
- Use of fluorescence polarization detection for the measurement of fluopeptidetm binding to G protein-coupled receptorsA Gagne
PerkinElmer Life Sciences, 549 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 22:333-43. 2002..We have compared the assays across the different fluorescence polarization (FP) readers available to determine the parameters for each instrument necessary to achieve the required precision...
- Melanocortin system and eating disordersRoger A H Adan
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:267-74. 2003..Furthermore, we found a polymorphism, Ala67Thr AgRP, that was observed more frequently in anorexia nervosa...
- Melanocortin signaling and anorexia in chronic disease statesBrent E Wisse
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:275-81. 2003..The data presented in this paper summarize findings that implicate neuronal melanocortin signaling in inflammatory anorexia...
- Sequence characterization of teleost fish melanocortin receptorsDarren W Logan
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:319-30. 2003..We have confirmed the sequences of these 10 genes and show the comparison of the amino acid sequences of the encoded proteins with the orthologous receptor in other vertebrates...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha increases and alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone reduces uveal melanoma invasion through fibronectinIrene Canton
Section of Human Metabolism, Division of Clinical Sciences North, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
J Invest Dermatol 121:557-63. 2003..Thus, ocular microenvironments that differ in their immunosuppressive/anti-inflammatory properties may influence the invasiveness of developing tumors...
- Genetic association and cellular function of MC1R variant alleles in human pigmentationR A Sturm
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:348-58. 2003..With this objective, we have established more than 300 melanocyte cell strains of defined MC1R genotype...
- Significance of the melanocortin 1 receptor in regulating human melanocyte pigmentation, proliferation, and survivalAna Luisa Kadekaro
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:359-65. 2003..This effect was absent in human melanocytes with loss of function MC1R mutations. We predict that the survival effect of alpha-MSH is caused by reduction of UV-induced DNA damage and contributes to the prevention of melanoma...
- Avian melanocortin system: alpha-MSH may act as an autocrine/paracrine hormone: a minireviewSakae Takeuchi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Okayama University, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:366-72. 2003..Collectively, the data reviewed here indicate that alpha-MSH is produced locally and acts as an autocrine/paracrine hormone in birds...
- Biological and conformational study of beta-substituted prolines in MT-II template: steric effects leading to human MC5 receptor selectivityM Cai
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Pept Res 63:116-31. 2004....
- Melanocortinergic modulation of cholecystokinin-induced suppression of feeding through extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in rat solitary nucleusGregory M Sutton
Neurobiology of Nutrition Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
Endocrinology 146:3739-47. 2005..The cAMP-->ERK-->CREB cascade may thus constitute a molecular integrator for converging satiety signals from the gut and adiposity signals from the hypothalamus in the control of meal size and food intake...
- Further structure-activity studies of lactam derivatives of MT-II and SHU-9119: their activity and selectivity at human melanocortin receptors 3, 4, and 5Paolo Grieco
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Peptides 28:1191-6. 2007..PG-106 will be useful in further efforts to differentiate the substructural features responsible for selectivity at the hMC3R, hMC4R, and hMC5R...
- The central melanocortin system and feverJeffrey B Tatro
Department of Medicine and the Tupper Research Institute, Tufts University School of Medicine and Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:246-57. 2003....
- New insights into the functions of alpha-MSH and related peptides in the immune systemThomas A Luger
Department of Dermatology and Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cell Biology and Immunobiology of the Skin, University of Munster, 48149 Munster, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:133-40. 2003..Therefore, therapeutic application of alpha-MSH or related peptides (KPVs) as well as alpha-MSH/KPV-pulsed DCs may be a useful approach for the treatment of inflammatory, autoimmune, and allergic diseases in the future...
- Obesity drug pipeline not so fatTrisha Gura
Science 299:849-52. 2003
- Having it allTrisha Gura
Science 299:850. 2003
- The potent melanocortin receptor agonist melanotan-II promotes peripheral nerve regeneration and has neuroprotective properties in the ratMariël P ter Laak
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharmacol 462:179-83. 2003..Thus, the present data for the first time demonstrate the effectiveness of the potent alpha-MSH analog melanotan-II in nerve regeneration and neuroprotection...
- Differential sensitivity to central leptin and insulin in male and female ratsDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Diabetes 52:682-7. 2003..Because insulin and leptin reflect different fat beds and are differentially distributed in the male and female sexes, the implication is that the male and female sexes regulate adiposity-relevant parameters differently...
- Association of feather colour with constitutively active melanocortin 1 receptors in chickenMaria K Ling
Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 270:1441-9. 2003....
- Ac-Nle-c[Asp-His-DPhe-Arg-Trp-Lys]-NH2 induces penile erection via brain and spinal melanocortin receptorsH Wessells
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neuroscience 118:755-62. 2003..These results provide new insight into the central melanocortinergic pathways that mediate penile erection and may allow for more efficacious melanotropin-based therapy for erectile dysfunction...
- Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of non-peptidic ligands at the Xenopus laevis skin-melanocortin receptorUrsula Tammler
Pharmaceutical Institute, University of Bonn, An der Immenburg 4, 53121 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Med Chem 38:481-93. 2003..The specificity for MC receptors was tested at various G-protein coupled receptors. In conclusion, the synthesis of non-peptidic MC receptor antagonists is described which may serve as lead compounds for further studies...
- Melanocortin tetrapeptides modified at the N-terminus, His, Phe, Arg, and Trp positionsJerry Ryan Holder
University of Florida, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:36-48. 2003....
- alpha-MSH and desacetyl-alpha-MSH signaling through melanocortin receptorsKathleen G Mountjoy
Departments of Physiology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland 1, New Zealand
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:58-65. 2003....
- Syndecan-3 modulates food intake by interacting with the melanocortin/AgRP pathwayOfer Reizes
Procter Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Health Care Research Center, Mason, Ohio 45040, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 994:66-73. 2003..Collectively, the data suggest that the modulation of melanocortin regulation of energy balance by syndecan-3 is modulated by the action of a TIMP-3-sensitive metalloprotease...
- [Detection of binding activity and biologic effect of a novel alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone analogue]Ying Ying
Department of Laboratory Examination, Fuzhou General Hospital, Nanjing Military Command, Fuzhou 350025, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 42:269-73. 2007..Its EC50 values for MC1, MC3, MC4, and MC5 receptors were (0.45 +/- 0.07), (7.80 +/- 0.65), (2.55 +/- 0.23) and (0.33 +/- 0.09) nmol L(-1), respectively. In these tests, the novel alpha-MSH analogue is a MC1R and MC5R selective agonist...
- The melanocortin-1 receptor and human pigmentationZ Abdel-Malek
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 885:117-33. 1999....
- Three-dimensional molecular models of the hMC1R melanocortin receptor: complexes with melanotropin peptide agonistsC Haskell-Luevano
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Drug Des Discov 14:197-211. 1996..Finally, limited MC1R mutagenesis studies comparing alpha-MSH and NDP-MSH are interpreted within the context of the proposed hMC1R models...
- Characterization of Agouti-related protein binding to melanocortin receptorsY K Yang
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0682, USA
Mol Endocrinol 13:148-55. 1999..Because [Nle4, D-Phe7] (NDP)-MSH displaces the binding of [125I]AGRP(87-132) to MCRs and AGRP(87-132) displaces the binding of [125I]NDP-MSH, we conclude that these molecules bind in a competitive fashion to melanocortin receptors...
- Obesity sheds its secretsT Gura
Science 275:751-3. 1997
- Involvement of mi-transcription factor in expression of alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor in cultured mast cells of miceS Adachi
Department of Pathology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
J Immunol 164:855-60. 2000..We found +-MITF bound two of five CANNTG motifs, and both motifs were essential for the transactivation of the MC1R gene by +-MITF. These results indicated that +-MITF directly transactivated the MC1R gene through these two motifs...
- Amino acid residues in third intracellular loop of melanocortin 1 receptor are involved in G-protein couplingP A Frändberg
Division of Biological Research on Drug Dependence, Biomedical Centre, Uppsala, Sweden
Biochem Mol Biol Int 46:913-22. 1998....
- Genetic studies of the mouse mutations mahogany and mahoganoidK A Miller
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5428, USA
Genetics 146:1407-15. 1997..Plasma levels of alpha-MSH and of ACTH were unaffected by md or mg. These results suggest that md and mg interfere directly with Agouti signaling, possibly at the level of protein production or receptor regulation...
- Melanocortin receptor binding determinants in the agouti proteinL L Kiefer
Division of Biochemistry, Glaxo Wellcome Inc, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Biochemistry 37:991-7. 1998..These agouti variants with altered receptor selectivity may be useful in determining the role of melanocortin receptors in diabetes and obesity...
- Interaction of Agouti protein with the melanocortin 1 receptor in vitro and in vivoM M Ollmann
Department of Pediatrics, and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5428, USA
Genes Dev 12:316-30. 1998....
- The melanocortin system in Fugu: determination of POMC/AGRP/MCR gene repertoire and synteny, as well as pharmacology and anatomical distribution of the MCRsJanis Klovins
Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Biol Evol 21:563-79. 2004....
- Receptor biology of the melanocortins, a family of neuroimmunomodulatory peptidesJ B Tatro
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, New England Medical Center Hospitals, Boston, Mass, USA
Neuroimmunomodulation 3:259-84. 1996....
- Biphasic developmental expression of adrenocorticotropin receptor messenger ribonucleic acid levels in the baboon fetal adrenal glandE D Albrecht
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Center for Studies in Reproduction, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, 21201, USA
Endocrinology 137:1292-8. 1996..g. dehydroepiandrosterone, biosynthesis within the baboon fetal adrenal gland...
- Human adrenal corticocarcinoma NCI-H295R cells produce more androgens than NCI-H295A cells and differ in 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and 17,20 lyase activitiesElika Samandari
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Children s Hospital Bern, Freiburgstrasse 15, G3 812, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
J Endocrinol 195:459-72. 2007..Our data suggest that comparative studies between NCI-H295A and NCI-H295R cells may help find important regulators of mineralocorticoid or androgen biosynthesis...
- ACTH stimulates insulin secretion from MIN6 cells and primary mouse and human islets of LangerhansH T Al-Majed
Centre for Reproduction, Endocrinology and Diabetes, GKT School of Biomedical Sciences, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London SE1 1UL, UK
J Endocrinol 180:155-66. 2004..Overall the results demonstrate that the MC2-R is expressed in beta-cells and suggest that activation of the receptor by ACTH initiates insulin secretion through the activation of PKA in association with Ca2+ influx into beta-cells...
- Characterization of melanocortin receptor subtype expression in murine adipose tissues and in the 3T3-L1 cell lineB A Boston
Department of Pediatrics, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Endocrinology 137:2043-50. 1996..Although the agouti signaling peptide is a potent antagonist of NDP-MSH binding to the MC1 and MC4 melanocortin receptors, agouti was unable to block NDP-MSH binding in the 3T3-L1 adipocyte...
- Luteinizing hormone (LH)-responsive Cushing's syndrome: the demonstration of LH receptor messenger ribonucleic acid in hyperplastic adrenal cells, which respond to chorionic gonadotropin and serotonin agonists in vitroRichard A Feelders
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:230-7. 2003..Despite the regulatory potential of LH and 5-HT4 receptor agonists on cortisol production in our patients, their adrenals seemed to be still sensitive to ACTH, both in vivo and in vitro...
- Melanocortin receptor type 2 (MC2R, ACTH receptor) expression in patients with alopecia areataHong Wei Guo
Department of Dermatology, Southwest hospital affiliated to The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Exp Dermatol 19:1020-2. 2010..These findings demonstrate that MC2R expression is aberrant in AA and suggest a deficit in ACTH/MC2R activity may play an important role in the pathophysiology of AA...
- Mutations in adrenocortical tumorsM Reincke
Medical Department II, University of Freiburg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 30:447-55. 1998..This indicates that the signaling pathways responsible for adrenocortical tumor formation are different from that of other endocrine neoplasms like pituitary and thyroid adenomas...
- Allosteric antagonist binding sites in class B GPCRs: corticotropin receptor 1Supriyo Bhattacharya
Department of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
J Comput Aided Mol Des 24:659-74. 2010..Thus, the conformational changes induced by NBI-27914 improved the ligand screening efficiency of the CRF(1)-R model and demonstrate a generalized application of the method in drug discovery...
- Targeted ablation of pituitary pre-proopiomelanocortin cells by herpes simplex virus-1 thymidine kinase differentially regulates mRNAs encoding the adrenocorticotropin receptor and aldosterone synthase in the mouse adrenal glandR G Allen
Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Mol Endocrinol 9:1005-16. 1995....
- Isolated glucocorticoid deficiency and ACTH receptor mutationsC Tsigos
Hellenic National Center for the Research, Prevention and Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus and Its Complications, Athens, Greece
Arch Med Res 30:475-80. 1999....
- Expression and spatio-temporal distribution of differentiation and proliferation markers during mouse adrenal developmentDominik M Schulte
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine II, Klinikum der Albert Ludwigs Universität, Freiburg, Germany
Gene Expr Patterns 7:72-81. 2007..Taken together, these findings are in accordance with the concept of distinct cell populations present during adrenocortical development with a highly proliferative phenotype or differentiated steroidogenic properties...
- Mapping of the ACTH, MSH, and neural (MC3 and MC4) melanocortin receptors in the mouse and humanR E Magenis
Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
Mamm Genome 5:503-8. 1994..The data reported here also show that the neural MC3 receptor maps close to a disease locus for benign neonatal epilepsy in human and near the E1-2 epilepsy susceptibility locus in the mouse...
- Expressional regulation of the angiopoietin-1 and -2 and the endothelial-specific receptor tyrosine kinase Tie2 in adrenal atrophy: a study of adrenocorticotropin-induced repairOlivier Feraud
Equipe Mixte Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, EMI 02 19, Laboratoire de Développement et Vieillissement de l Endothélium, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Endocrinology 144:4607-15. 2003..These results reinforce the role of ACTH in the regulation of angiogenic factors in adrenal gland and suggest that the Ang/Tie2 system might represent a key player for stabilization of adrenal endothelium...
- Expression of the ACTH receptor, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, and steroidogenic enzymes in canine cortisol-secreting adrenocortical tumorsS Galac
Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Domest Anim Endocrinol 39:259-67. 2010..In conclusion, RT-PCR analysis revealed no overexpression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in canine cortisol-secreting ATs. Significant downregulation of ACTH-R in carcinomas might be associated with the malignant character of the AT...
- The mouse adrenocorticotropin receptor gene: cloning and characterization of its promoter and evidence for a role for the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1F M Cammas
Department of Chemical Endocrinology, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 11:867-76. 1997..The other as yet unknown factor binding between position -1236 bp and -908 bp acts as a strong inhibitory factor in nonadrenal steroidogenic cells, resulting in the adrenal-specific expression of ACTH-R...
- Antagonism of CRF receptors prevents the deficit in brain reward function associated with precipitated nicotine withdrawal in ratsAdrie W Bruijnzeel
Department of Psychiatry, McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:955-63. 2007..These data provide support for the hypothesis that a hyperactivity of brain CRF systems may at least partly mediate the initiation of the negative affective aspects of nicotine withdrawal...
- Unilateral testicular tumour associated to congenital adrenal hyperplasia: Failure of specific tumoral molecular markers to discriminate between adrenal rest and leydigiomaP Fenichel
Service d endocrinologie et médecine de la reproduction, Hopital de l Archet, CHU de Nice, BP 3079, 06202 Nice cedex 03, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 69:453-8. 2008..However, lack of tumoral LH-R mRNA expression and a tumour-free 3-year follow-up led us to retain the diagnosis of adrenal rest tumour with loss of adrenal gene expression and progressive autonomous behaviour...
- Age-specific changes in sex steroid biosynthesis and sex developmentNils Krone
Division of Medical Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:393-401. 2007....
- Cushing's syndrome due to a gastric inhibitory polypeptide-dependent adrenal adenoma: insights into hormonal control of adrenocortical tumorigenesisO Chabre
Services d Endocrinologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Grenoble, France olivier
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:3134-43. 1998....
- Adrenocorticotropin receptor and adrenal disordersB Allolio
Schwerpunkt Endokrinologie, Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Wurzburg, Deutschland
Horm Res 47:273-8. 1997..No correlation between ACTH receptor mRNA expression and circulating ACTH levels has been found in patients with adrenal disorders casting doubts on the physiological significance of ACTH receptor upregulation by its own ligand in vivo...
- Developmental programming of adult adrenal structure and steroidogenesis: effects of fetal glucocorticoid excess and postnatal dietary omega-3 fatty acidsBrendan J Waddell
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
J Endocrinol 205:171-8. 2010..In conclusion, this study shows that prenatal exposure to dexamethasone does not increase basal adrenocortical activity but does result in a more stress-responsive adrenal phenotype, possibly via increased Mc2r expression...
- Identification of domains responsible for specific membrane transport and ligand specificity of the ACTH receptor (MC2R)Davids Fridmanis
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Riga, Latvia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 321:175-83. 2010..We discuss the mechanisms involved in bypassing these arrest signals via an interaction with melanocortin 2 receptor accessory protein (MRAP) and the possible mechanisms that determine the high ligand-binding specificity of ACTHR...
- ACTH-receptor deficient mutants of the Y1 mouse adrenocortical tumor cell lineB P Schimmer
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Res 21:139-56. 1995..These results suggest that the adenylyl cyclase system in the mutants is otherwise intact and that the failure to express ACTH receptor transcripts limits the responsiveness of these clones to the hormone...
- Prevalence of melanocortin system transcripts in rat salt homeostasis endocrine tissuesS J Wachira
Department of Biology, Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland 21251, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 53:8-14. 2007..These results are therefore inconsistent with an endocrine pathway that involves pituitary derived gamma-MSH modulating adrenal function in response to high dietary salt intake...
- ACTH receptor (MC2R) promoter variants associated with infantile spasms modulate MC2R expression and responsiveness to ACTHYing Xue Ding
Department of Pediatrics, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Ministry of Health, Beijing, PR China
Pharmacogenet Genomics 20:71-6. 2010..In this study, we further elucidated functional significances of the TCCT haplotype...
- Human melanocortin receptor 2 expression and functionality: effects of protein kinase A and protein kinase C on desensitization and internalizationZuzana Kilianova
Service d endocrinologie, Departement de Medecine, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 147:2325-37. 2006....
- Differential regulation of the human adrenocorticotropin receptor [melanocortin-2 receptor (MC2R)] by human MC2R accessory protein isoforms alpha and beta in isogenic human embryonic kidney 293 cellsSimon Roy
Service d endocrinologie, Departement de Medecine, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
Mol Endocrinol 21:1656-69. 2007....
- Severe loss-of-function mutations in the adrenocorticotropin receptor (ACTHR, MC2R) can be found in patients diagnosed with salt-losing adrenal hypoplasiaLin Lin
UCL Institute of Child Health and Department of Medicine, University College London, London, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:205-10. 2007....
- ACTH 1-24 inhibits proliferation of adrenocortical tumors in vivoOliver Zwermann
Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 153:435-44. 2005..In vivo, potential effects of endogenous ACTH on adrenal tumori-genesis can not be separated from effects of other POMC derived peptides...
- Functional consequence of a novel Y129C mutation in a patient with two contradictory melanocortin-2-receptor mutationsLi F Chan
Queen Mary University of London, Centre for Endocrinology, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 160:705-10. 2009..Inactivating mutations in the ACTH receptor (melanocortin-2-receptor, MC2R) are well described and account for approximately 25% of cases. By contrast, activating MC2R mutations are extremely rare...
- Cushing's syndrome secondary to adrenocorticotropin-independent macronodular adrenocortical hyperplasia due to activating mutations of GNAS1 geneMaria Candida Barisson Villares Fragoso
Unidade de Endocrinologia do Desenvolvimento, Laboratorio de Hormonios e Genetica Molecular LIM 42, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil 01060 970
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2147-51. 2003....
- Virilizing adrenocortical adenoma: in vitro steroidogenesis, immunohistochemical studies of steroidogenic enzymes, and gene expression of corticotropin receptorT Imai
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
Surgery 125:396-402. 1999..CONCLUSIONS: The lack of response to ACTH is the result of a deficiency of ACTH receptor expression in the virilizing tumor cells. Androgens were autonomously produced in adrenal adenoma cells without ACTH regulation...
- Administration of ACTH to restrained, pregnant sows alters their pigs' hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axisM F Haussmann
Iowa State University, Ames 50011 3150, USA
J Anim Sci 78:2399-411. 2000..006) than ACTH pigs. Thus, exogenous ACTH and restraint during gestation alters the HPA axis of the sow's offspring, and during stressful situations later in life health, and therefore welfare, may be compromised...
- Interaction of the melanocortin 2 receptor with nucleoporin 50: evidence for a novel pathway between a G-protein-coupled receptor and the nucleusMarina Doufexis
Centre for Endocrinology, William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and The London, Queen Mary, University of London, West Smithfield, London EC1A 7BE, UK
FASEB J 21:4095-100. 2007..This time course is most consistent with MC2R internalization dynamics and may suggest a novel role for Nup50...
- A novel adrenocorticotropin receptor mutation alters its structure and function, causing familial glucocorticoid deficiencyRocío A Artigas
Departamento de Endocrinologia, Facultad de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Lira 85, 5 degrees piso, 8330074 Santiago, Chile
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3097-105. 2008..Familial glucocorticoid deficiency (FGD) is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by unresponsiveness to ACTH. In this study, two mutations of the ACTH receptor (MC2R) gene are reported in this FGD clinical case...
- Primate Fetal Adrenal Development: Impact on Physiological Processes After BirthEugene D Albrecht; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- AVIDIN-BIOTIN TECHNOLOGY FOR HORMONE RECEPTOR ISOLATIONKlaus Hofmann; Fiscal Year: 1990..Noteworthy is the fact that we have been successful in solubilizing the AII receptor with retention of binding affinity for I251-labeled biotinylated AII probes...
- IDENTIFICATION OF GENE FOR ACTH-RECEPTOR BY CLONINGJANAKIRAMAN RAMACHANDRAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Potent antagonists will be developed using cell lines over expressing ACTH- receptor gene...
- MORPHINE: CNS SITES OF ANALGESIA AND ADDICTIONYASUKO JACQUET; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- Human Melanocortin-4 Receptor PolymorphismsCarrie Haskell Luevano; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding obesity related mechanisms may ultimately result in therapeutic agents to prevent or treat the diseases associated with over eating. ..
- STRUCTURAL DETERMINANTS OF NEUROENDOCRINE RECEPTORSCarrie Haskell Luevano; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- 19th International Pigment Cell Conference - 2005Zalfa Abdel Malek; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Peptide Hormone Structure FunctionVictor J Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Molecular determinants of ACTH receptor for ligand bindingYingkui Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The information will serve to establish a foundation on which to build a comprehensive understanding of the signaling events that regulate ACTH mediated adrenal function in physiologic and diseased states. ..
- Melanocortin-3 receptor regulation of insulin actionAndrew Butler; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these experiments will provide the first definitive evidence that manipulation of the MC3R might be a viable approach for treating insulin resistance. ..
- Genomic & Genetic Characterization of Amplicons in GBMsLynda Chin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The highest potential candidate glioma oncogene will be further validated by rigorous in vivo transgenesis study. ..
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT TRAINING IN ACADEMIC RESEARCHBenjamin Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2007..Academic advisement is structured on three tiers: round table discussions, faculty consultations, and intervention through the AILRC. ..
- Mentored Clinical Research Scholar Program at IowaALLYN MARK; Fiscal Year: 2007..These and other University research programs extend into the community--statewide and beyond--and include numerous disease registers and a broad network of collaborating institutions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Syndecan & CNS Melanocortin Signaling in Energy BalanceStephen Benoit; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results may provide important, basic insights into the control of body weight by the central melanocortin system and its recently identified co-receptor, syndecan-3. ..
- Role of CRF in the affective symptoms of acute and protracted ethanol withdrawalADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Attractin and Mahoganoid in Spongy NeurodegenerationGregory Barsh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Investigating the biochemical, cellular, and genetic relationships between Atrn, Mahoganoid, and PrP is likely to provide general insight into the pathogenesis of spongy degeneration. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fifth International Melanocortin MeetingROGER CONE; Fiscal Year: 2002..To facilitate the gathering of a large international audience, funds are specifically requested to cover travel expenses for 17 speakers. ..
- Glucose-dependent Insulinotropic Peptide & Bone TurnoverCarlos Isales; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in turn may signal GIP as a potential hormone target for pharmacologic intervention in bone pathologies such as osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Pro-opiomelanocortin mutations in human obesityChristian Vaisse; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Altering Lymphocyte Trafficking Patterns Using DexamethasoneBenjamin Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will determine if glucocorticoids do alter in vivo T cell function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VASCULAR EFFECTS OF HOMOCYSTEINE IN HUMANSWILLIAM HAYNES; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results may also suggest novel potential therapeutic approaches to be tested in future outcome trials. ..
- Leptin resistance: 1 mechanism underlying age-related obesityPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such discoveries may lead to new treatments for obesity and the diabetes associated with obesity. ..
- Glucocorticoids and Programming of the Hypertensive Vascular PhenotypeOmid Khorram; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Melanocortin-4 Receptor in Human ObesityChristian Vaisse; Fiscal Year: 2010..These experiments could lead to new strategies to pharmacologically target MC4R for the treatment of obesity. ..
- IDENTIFYING NIDDM GENES USING ADMIXED POPULATIONSMark Shriver; Fiscal Year: 2001..They will verify any positive associations found using sib-pair linkage analysis and the transmission disequilibrium test. ..
- BRIDGES TO THE DOCTORATEGeorge Trachte; Fiscal Year: 2006..These students will be [unreadable] established in the principals of investigative work, the scientific method, and appreciate the [unreadable] importance of research in minority health disparities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of Dark Skin in MiceGregory Barsh; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Human Endometrial Nitric Oxide: Regulation and FunctionOmid Khorram; Fiscal Year: 2003..This pilot study should shed light on regulation and function of human endometrial NO pathway, an uninvestigated area of research with profound clinical significance. ..
- Role of CNS Insulin in Learning and MemoryStephen Benoit; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, this line of investigation may offer novel therapeutic strategies for treating individuals with cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer' s disease. ..
- REGULATION OF ENERGY BALANCE BY MELANOCORTIN ANTAGONISTSGregory Barsh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC CONTROL OF FEEDING AND METABOLISMROGER CONE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the specific hypothesis that altered levels of POMC gene expression may be a risk factor for obesity will be directly tested by Dr. Boston and his collaborators (project II). ..
- ROLES OF ENDOGENOUS ALPHA MSH IN FEVER AND IMMUNITYJEFFREY TATRO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- GENE THERAPY OF DIABETIC PENILE ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTIONHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such a strategy may ultimately be beneficial to men with ED due to diabetes as well as smoking, hypercholesterolemia, and aging. ..
- Neural Melanocortin Signaling and Erectile FunctionHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings may allow us to develop receptor-specific therapeutic strategies, which may ultimately be beneficial to men and women with sexual dysfunction. ..
- Immortalized Human Cavernosal Endothelial CellsHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMPAIRED LEPTIN RESPONSIVENESS WITH AGEPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2002..The potential for vitamin A supplementation to reverse the age-related increase in serum leptin and restore leptin responsiveness is addressed in this proposal. ..
- The Role of Central Melanocortins in CachexiaDaniel Marks; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, this work may lead to investigation of drug therapy for this widespread medical problem. ..
- MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF MALIGNANT MELANOMALynda Chin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Age-related Obesity: Interventions with Gene DeliveryPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such discoveries may lead to new treatments for obesity and the diabetes associated with obesity. ..
- Neuropeptide-based therapies for nicotine dependenceADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONSTRUCTION AND APPLICATION OF A US ADMIXTURE MAPMark Shriver; Fiscal Year: 2006..From simulation studies, we estimate that about 1000 AIMs will be required for genome-wide mapping with two-way admixture, and about 1500 for admixture between three populations. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Behavioral Mechanisms of CNS Melanocortin ActionStephen Benoit; Fiscal Year: 2007..These results will expand our understanding of this critical system for the regulation of food intake and body weight and, hopefully, provide insight into important structures and systems that are downstream of the melanocortins. ..