Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of the two major classes of cholinergic receptors. Nicotinic receptors were originally distinguished by their preference for nicotine over muscarine. They are generally divided into muscle-type and neuronal-type (previously ganglionic) based on pharmacology, molecular biology, and biophysical properties of the channels.
Publications386 found, 100 shown here
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is an essential regulator of inflammationHong Wang
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 421:384-8. 2003..Thus, the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is essential for inhibiting cytokine synthesis by the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway...
- Genome-wide association scan of tag SNPs identifies a susceptibility locus for lung cancer at 15q25.1Christopher I Amos
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Genet 40:616-22. 2008..Haplotype analysis was consistent with there being a single risk variant in this region. We conclude that variation in a region of 15q25.1 containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors genes contributes to lung cancer risk...
- A variant associated with nicotine dependence, lung cancer and peripheral arterial diseaseThorgeir E Thorgeirsson
deCODE Genetics, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nature 452:638-42. 2008..The findings provide a case study of a gene-environment interaction, highlighting the role of nicotine addiction in the pathology of other serious diseases...
- A susceptibility locus for lung cancer maps to nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes on 15q25Rayjean J Hung
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon 69008, France
Nature 452:633-7. 2008..Our results provide compelling evidence of a locus at 15q25 predisposing to lung cancer, and reinforce interest in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors as potential disease candidates and chemopreventative targets...
- Mammalian nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: from structure to functionEdson X Albuquerque
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Physiol Rev 89:73-120. 2009..Subsequent studies aided by the Torpedo electric organ, a rich source of muscle-type nicotinic receptors (nAChRs), and the discovery of alpha-bungarotoxin, a snake toxin that binds pseudo-irreversibly to the ..
- Refined structure of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor at 4A resolutionNigel Unwin
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
J Mol Biol 346:967-89. 2005..Access to the pore on the intracellular side is further influenced by narrow lateral windows, which would be expected to screen out electrostatically ions of the wrong charge and size...
- Variants in nicotinic receptors and risk for nicotine dependenceLaura Jean Bierut
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8134, 660 South Euclid Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1163-71. 2008..this study was to replicate these findings in an independent data set and more thoroughly investigate the role of genetic variation in the cluster of physically linked nicotinic receptors, CHRNA5-CHRNA3-CHRNB4, and the risk of smoking.
- Cholinergic nicotinic receptor genes implicated in a nicotine dependence association study targeting 348 candidate genes with 3713 SNPsScott F Saccone
Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:36-49. 2007..Other genes among the top signals were KCNJ6 and GABRA4. This study represents one of the most powerful and extensive studies of nicotine dependence to date and has found novel risk loci that require confirmation by replication studies...
- Nicotinic receptors: allosteric transitions and therapeutic targets in the nervous systemAntoine Taly
Laboratoire de Chimie Biophysique, Institut de Science et d Ingenierie Supramoleculaires, UMR 7006 CNRS Université de Strasbourg, 8 allee Gaspard Monge, 67000 Strasbourg, France
Nat Rev Drug Discov 8:733-50. 2009b>Nicotinic receptors - a family of ligand-gated ion channels that mediate the effects of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine - are among the most well understood allosteric membrane proteins from a structural and functional perspective...
- Brain nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: native subtypes and their relevanceCecilia Gotti
CNR, Institute of Neuroscience, Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Department of Medical Pharmacology and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, 20129 Milan, Italy
Trends Pharmacol Sci 27:482-91. 2006....
- alpha 5 Subunit alters desensitization, pharmacology, Ca++ permeability and Ca++ modulation of human neuronal alpha 3 nicotinic receptorsV Gerzanich
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 286:311-20. 1998..In brain, by contrast, alpha 4 beta 2 AChRs were shown to predominate over alpha 3 AChRs. Some of the brain alpha 4 beta 2 AChRs were found to contain alpha 5 subunits...
- Cholinergic stimulation blocks endothelial cell activation and leukocyte recruitment during inflammationRubina W Saeed
Laboratory of Medicinal Biochemistry, Institute for Medical Research at North Shore LIJ, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Exp Med 201:1113-23. 2005..These findings identify the endothelium, a key regulator of leukocyte trafficking during inflammation, as a target of anti-inflammatory cholinergic mediators...
- Nicotine reinforcement and cognition restored by targeted expression of nicotinic receptorsU Maskos
Unité Récepteurs et Cognition, CNRS URA 2182, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 436:103-7. 2005..We thus demonstrate the sufficient role of the VTA in both nicotine reinforcement and endogenous cholinergic regulation of cognitive functions...
- Crucial role of alpha4 and alpha6 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits from ventral tegmental area in systemic nicotine self-administrationS Pons
Unité Neurobiologie Intégrative des Systèmes Cholinergiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Neurosci 28:12318-27. 2008..We thus define the necessary and sufficient role of alpha4beta2- and alpha6beta2-subunit containing nicotinic receptors (alpha4beta2*- and alpha6beta2*-nAChRs), but not alpha7*-nAChRs, present in cell bodies of the VTA, and ..
- Nicotine activation of alpha4* receptors: sufficient for reward, tolerance, and sensitizationAndrew R Tapper
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 306:1029-32. 2004..These data indicate that activation of a4* receptors is sufficient for nicotine-induced reward, tolerance, and sensitization...
- Structures of Aplysia AChBP complexes with nicotinic agonists and antagonists reveal distinctive binding interfaces and conformationsScott B Hansen
Department of Pharmacology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0636, USA
EMBO J 24:3635-46. 2005..This comprehensive set of structures reflects a dynamic template for delineating further conformational changes of the LBD of the nicotinic receptor...
- Synaptic mechanisms underlie nicotine-induced excitability of brain reward areasHuibert D Mansvelder
Department of Anesthesia, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Neuron 33:905-19. 2002..These results suggest that spatial and temporal differences in nicotinic receptor activity on both excitatory and inhibitory neurons in reward areas coordinate to reinforce nicotine self-administration...
- alpha10: a determinant of nicotinic cholinergic receptor function in mammalian vestibular and cochlear mechanosensory hair cellsA B Elgoyhen
Instituto de Investigaciones en Ingenieria, Genetica y Biologia Molecular, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires 1428, Argentina
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:3501-6. 2001..Our data suggest that efferent modulation of hair cell function occurs, at least in part, through heteromeric nAChRs assembled from both alpha9 and alpha10 subunits...
- The vagus nerve and nicotinic receptors modulate experimental pancreatitis severity in miceDavid J van Westerloo
Laboratory of Experimental Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 130:1822-30. 2006..This anti-inflammatory effect is mediated by an interaction of acetylcholine, the principal neurotransmitter of the vagus nerve, with macrophage cholinergic nicotinic receptors expressing the alpha7 subunit.
- Identification of sequence motifs that target neuronal nicotinic receptors to dendrites and axonsJian Xu
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 26:9780-93. 2006..These results provide valuable information in understanding diverse roles of neuronal nAChRs in mediating and modulating synaptic transmission, synaptic plasticity, and nicotine addiction...
- beta-Amyloid(1-42) peptide directly modulates nicotinic receptors in the rat hippocampal sliceD L Pettit
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Neurosci 21:RC120. 2001..Thus, chronic inhibition of cholinergic signaling by Abeta(1-42) could contribute to the cognitive deficits associated with AD...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and nicotinic cholinergic mechanisms of the central nervous systemJohn A Dani
Department of Neuroscience, Program of Structural and Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 47:699-729. 2007..Presynaptic and preterminal nicotinic receptors enhance neurotransmitter release, postsynaptic nAChRs contribute a small minority of fast excitatory ..
- Cholinergic modulation of microglial activation by alpha 7 nicotinic receptorsR Douglas Shytle
Child Development Center, Neuroimmunology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, University of South Florida College of Medciine, Tampa, Florida, USA
J Neurochem 89:337-43. 2004..suggest the existence of a brain cholinergic pathway that regulates microglial activation through alpha 7 nicotinic receptors. Negative regulation of microglia activation may also represent additional mechanism underlying nicotine's ..
- Beta-amyloid regulation of presynaptic nicotinic receptors in rat hippocampus and neocortexJohn J Dougherty
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Neurosci 23:6740-7. 2003..Together, these results suggest that the sustained increases in presynaptic Ca2+ evoked by Abeta may underlie disruptions in neuronal signaling via nAChRs in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease...
- Crystal structure of an ACh-binding protein reveals the ligand-binding domain of nicotinic receptorsK Brejc
Division of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nature 411:269-76. 2001..This AChBP structure is relevant for the development of drugs against, for example, Alzheimer's disease and nicotine addiction...
- Neonicotinoid insecticide toxicology: mechanisms of selective actionMotohiro Tomizawa
Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 3112, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 45:247-68. 2005..The low affinity of neonicotinoids for vertebrate relative to insect nicotinic receptors is a major factor in their favorable toxicological profile.
- The C. elegans ric-3 gene is required for maturation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsSarah Halevi
Department of Physiology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
EMBO J 21:1012-20. 2002..elegans DEG-3/DES-2 and of the rat alpha-7 acetylcholine receptors. Together, these data suggest that RIC-3 is specifically required for the maturation of acetylcholine receptors...
- Diversity of vertebrate nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsNeil S Millar
Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Neuropharmacology 56:237-46. 2009..b>Nicotinic receptors are expressed in both the nervous system and at the neuromuscular junction and have been implicated in ..
- Alpha7 nicotinic receptor subunits are not necessary for hippocampal-dependent learning or sensorimotor gating: a behavioral characterization of Acra7-deficient miceR Paylor
Section on Behavioral Neuropharmacology, Experimental Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Learn Mem 5:302-16. 1998..Future studies will examine the contribution of alpha7 nAChR to the enhancement of learning and sensorimotor gating following nicotine treatments...
- Nicotine inhibits the production of proinflammatory mediators in human monocytes by suppression of I-kappaB phosphorylation and nuclear factor-kappaB transcriptional activity through nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7H Yoshikawa
Department of Immunology and Medicine, Institute of Advanced Medical Science, St Marianna Graduate School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 146:116-23. 2006..Nicotine suppressed the phosphorylation of I-kappaB, and then inhibited the transcriptional activity of nuclear factor-kappaB. These immunosuppressive effects of nicotine may contribute to the regulation of some immune diseases...
- Emerging structure of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsArthur Karlin
Center for Molecular Recognition, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 3:102-14. 2002..The location and structure of the gates, and the coupling between binding sites and gates, remain to be established...
- Ca2+ permeability of nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsSergio Fucile
Dipartimento di Fisiologia Umana e Farmacologia, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, P le Aldo Moro 5, I 00185 Rome, Italy
Cell Calcium 35:1-8. 2004..Different experimental approaches are compared, and the structural determinants of Ca(2+) permeability are discussed...
- Nicotinic receptors in the rat prefrontal cortex: increase in glutamate release and facilitation of mediodorsal thalamo-cortical transmissionY Gioanni
INSERM U114, College de France, Paris, France
Eur J Neurosci 11:18-30. 1999..Such a mechanism may be relevant to the cognitive effects of nicotine and nicotinic antagonists...
- Prostate stem cell antigen is an endogenous lynx1-like prototoxin that antagonizes alpha7-containing nicotinic receptors and prevents programmed cell death of parasympathetic neuronsMartin Hruska
Department of Anatomy, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
J Neurosci 29:14847-54. 2009....
- Nicotinic receptors mediate tumorigenic action of tobacco-derived nitrosamines on immortalized oral epithelial cellsJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, University of California at Davis, Davis, California, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 5:511-7. 2006..The obtained results establish the role of specific nAChR subtypes in tobacco-related carcinogenesis and open a novel avenue for oral cancer chemoprevention...
- Nicotine inhibits apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic drugs by up-regulating XIAP and survivinPiyali Dasgupta
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6332-7. 2006..These studies suggest that exposure to nicotine might negatively impact the apoptotic potential of chemotherapeutic drugs and that survivin and XIAP play a key role in the antiapoptotic activity of nicotine...
- Roles of accessory subunits in alpha4beta2(*) nicotinic receptorsAlexandre Kuryatov
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, 217 Stemmler Hall, 36th and Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Pharmacol 74:132-43. 2008Accessory subunits in heteromeric nicotinic receptors (AChRs) do not take part in forming ACh binding sites. alpha5 and beta3 subunits can function only as accessory subunits...
- AChBP-targeted alpha-conotoxin correlates distinct binding orientations with nAChR subtype selectivitySebastien Dutertre
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
EMBO J 26:3858-67. 2007..Together, these results establish a new pharmacophore for the design of novel subtype-selective ligands with therapeutic potential in nAChR-related diseases...
- Structural and functional diversity of native brain neuronal nicotinic receptorsCecilia Gotti
Department of Medical Pharmacology, CNR, Institute of Neuroscience, Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 78:703-11. 2009..We also discuss recent findings concerning the effect of chronic nicotine on the expression of native subtypes...
- Nicotinic effects on cognitive function: behavioral characterization, pharmacological specification, and anatomic localizationEdward D Levin
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3412, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 184:523-39. 2006..Nicotine has been shown in a variety of studies in humans and experimental animals to improve cognitive function. Nicotinic treatments are being developed as therapeutic treatments for cognitive dysfunction...
- Desensitization of nicotinic ACh receptors: shaping cholinergic signalingRashid Giniatullin
Neurobiology Sector and INFM Unit, International School for Advanced Studies SISSA, Via Beirut 4, 34014, Trieste, Italy
Trends Neurosci 28:371-8. 2005....
- A neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (alpha 7) is developmentally regulated and forms a homo-oligomeric channel blocked by alpha-BTXS Couturier
Department of Biochemistry, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Neuron 5:847-56. 1990..A bacterial fusion protein encompassing residues 124-239 of alpha 7 binds labeled alpha-bungarotoxin. We conclude that alpha-bungarotoxin binding proteins in the vertebrate nervous system can function as nAChRs...
- Nicotinic receptors in the habenulo-interpeduncular system are necessary for nicotine withdrawal in miceRamiro Salas
Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosci 29:3014-8. 2009..Our data suggest that the efforts to develop new smoking cessation therapies should concentrate on these areas and receptor types...
- Two types of nicotinic receptors mediate an excitation of neocortical layer I interneuronsElodie Christophe
Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale EPI 0002, ESPCI, 75231 Paris Cedex 5, France
J Neurophysiol 88:1318-27. 2002..addition of Cd(2+) or tetrodotoxin, indicating that they were mediated by direct activation of postsynaptic nicotinic receptors. The kinetics of the currents and their sensitivity to nicotinic receptor antagonists, methyllycaconitine (..
- Human bronchial epithelial and endothelial cells express alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsY Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Mol Pharmacol 60:1201-9. 2001..The presence of alpha7 nAChRs in BEC and AEC suggests that some toxic effects of tobacco smoke could be mediated through these nicotine-sensitive receptors...
- A Dalpha6 knockout strain of Drosophila melanogaster confers a high level of resistance to spinosadTrent Perry
Department of Genetics, Centre for Environmental Stress and Adaptation Research, Bio21 Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:184-8. 2007..This, combined with the high degree of evolutionary conservation of nAChR subunits, suggests that mutations in Dalpha6 orthologues may underpin the spinosad resistance identified in several economically important field pests...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors-alpha modulate dopamine cell activity through nicotinic receptorsMiriam Melis
B B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Italy
Biol Psychiatry 68:256-64. 2010..Among these, endogenous ligands to the nuclear receptor-transcription factor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors type-alpha (PPARalpha) have been recently found to suppress nicotine-induced responses of dopamine neurons...
- Cholinergic synaptic inhibition of inner hair cells in the neonatal mammalian cochleaE Glowatzki
The Center for Hearing Sciences, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Science 288:2366-8. 2000..The synaptic currents, as well as the inner hair cell's response to acetylcholine, are mediated by a nicotinic (alpha9-containing) receptor and result in the activation of small-conductance calcium-dependent potassium channels...
- Nicotine addiction and nicotinic receptors: lessons from genetically modified miceJean Pierre Changeux
Collge de France and the Institut Pasteur CNRS URA 2182, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris, France
Nat Rev Neurosci 11:389-401. 2010....
- Alternate stoichiometries of alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsMark E Nelson
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Pharmacol 63:332-41. 2003..Alternate alpha4beta2 nAChR stoichiometries with distinct functional properties raise the possibility for an interesting mode of synaptic regulation for nicotinic signaling in the mammalian brain...
- Molecular cloning, functional properties, and distribution of rat brain alpha 7: a nicotinic cation channel highly permeable to calciumP Seguela
Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
J Neurosci 13:596-604. 1993..These results imply that alpha 7-containing receptors may play a role in activating calcium-dependent mechanisms in specific neuronal populations of the adult rat limbic system...
- Novel human alpha9 acetylcholine receptor regulating keratinocyte adhesion is targeted by Pemphigus vulgaris autoimmunityV T Nguyen
Department of Dermatology, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
Am J Pathol 157:1377-91. 2000..We conclude that alpha9 is coupled to physiological regulation of keratinocyte adhesion, and its interaction with PV IgG may lead to blister development...
- Functional characterization of alpha9-containing cholinergic nicotinic receptors in the rat adrenal medulla: implication in stress-induced functional plasticityClaude Colomer
Institute of Functional Genomics, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 5203, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U661, University of Montpellier, 34094 Montpellier, France
J Neurosci 30:6732-42. 2010..Since synaptic transmission is mainly supported by activation of postsynaptic neuronal acetylcholine nicotinic receptors (nAChRs), we focused our study on the role of alpha9-containing nAChRs, which have been recently described ..
- Increased severity of experimental colitis in alpha 5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit-deficient miceAvi Orr-Urtreger
The Genetics Institute, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Neuroreport 16:1123-7. 2005..These findings suggest that alpha5-containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors participate in the modulation of colitis in mice, but other nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits also mediate the antiinflammatory effects of nicotine...
- Neuronal nicotinic receptor alpha 6 subunit mRNA is selectively concentrated in catecholaminergic nuclei of the rat brainN Le Novère
CNRS URA 1284, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
Eur J Neurosci 8:2428-39. 1996..This suggests the involvement of the alpha 6 subunit in some of the major functions of central nicotinic circuits, including the modulation of locomotor behaviour and reward...
- Broad-spectrum efficacy across cognitive domains by alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonism correlates with activation of ERK1/2 and CREB phosphorylation pathwaysRobert S Bitner
Neuroscience Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
J Neurosci 27:10578-87. 2007....
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors containing alpha 7 subunits on rat cortical neurons do not undergo long-lasting inactivation even when up-regulated by chronic nicotine exposureH Kawai
Neurobiology Section, Division of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093-0357, USA
J Neurochem 78:1367-78. 2001..b>Nicotinic receptors containing alpha 7 subunits are among the most abundant in brain and influence diverse cellular events...
- Differential coupling of M1 muscarinic and alpha7 nicotinic receptors to inhibition of pemphigus acantholysisAlex I Chernyavsky
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
J Biol Chem 283:3401-8. 2008..These findings identified novel paradigm of regulation of signaling kinases associated with cholinergic receptors and provided mechanistic explanation of therapeutic activity of cholinomimetics in PV patients...
- Molecular mechanism for analgesia involving specific antagonism of alpha9alpha10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsMichelle Vincler
Department of Anesthesiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17880-4. 2006..Our findings not only suggest a molecular mechanism for the treatment of neuropathic pain but also demonstrate the involvement of alpha9alpha10 nAChRs in the pathophysiology of peripheral nerve injury...
- Adaptive evolution in mammalian proteins involved in cochlear outer hair cell electromotilityLucia F Franchini
Instituto de Investigaciones en Ingenieria Genetica y Biologia Molecular, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mol Phylogenet Evol 41:622-35. 2006..This finding is most likely related with the roles these proteins play in somatic electromotility and/or its fine tuning...
- Nicotinic receptor subtypes in human brain ageing, Alzheimer and Lewy body diseasesE Perry
Department of Neuropathology, MRC Neurochemical Pathology Unit, Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road, Newcastle, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 393:215-22. 2000Human brain ageing is associated with reductions in a variety of nicotinic receptors subtypes, whereas changes in age-related disorders including Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's disease are more selective...
- Genetic variants on chromosome 15q25 associated with lung cancer risk in Chinese populationsChen Wu
Department of Etiology and Carcinogenesis and State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Cancer Res 69:5065-72. 2009..These results support 15q25 as a susceptibility region for lung cancer in Chinese but underscore the difference in genetic markers among different ethnic populations...
- Identification and characterization of novel nicotinic receptor-associated proteins in Caenorhabditis elegansAlexander Gottschalk
Institute for Biochemistry, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
EMBO J 24:2566-78. 2005..Thus, tandem affinity purification is a viable approach to identify novel proteins regulating neurotransmitter receptor activity or expression in model systems like C. elegans...
- Molecular cloning and mapping of the human nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha10 (CHRNA10)L R Lustig
The Center for Hearing Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Genomics 73:272-83. 2001..We also detected the expression of the human nAChR alpha9 (CHRNA9) mRNA in these same tissues using RT-PCR and Northern blot hybridization...
- Immunohistochemical localisation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits in human cerebellumA Graham
Joint MRC University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Centre Development in Clinical Brain Ageing, MRC Building, Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road, NE4 6BE, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Neuroscience 113:493-507. 2002..Further investigations are warranted to evaluate the participation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in cerebellar pathology associated with both developmental and age-related disorders...
- Neonicotinoid insecticides display partial and super agonist actions on native insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsLaurence A Brown
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, MRC Functional Genetics Unit, Le Gros Clark Building, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK
J Neurochem 99:608-15. 2006..Cell-attached recordings indicate that super agonism results from more frequent openings at the largest (63.5 pS) conductance state observed...
- Selective toxicity of neonicotinoids attributable to specificity of insect and mammalian nicotinic receptorsMotohiro Tomizawa
Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 3112, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 48:339-64. 2003....
- Alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors mediate an Abeta(1-42)-induced increase in the level of acetylcholinesterase in primary cortical neuronesL R Fodero
Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
J Neurochem 88:1186-93. 2004..The results demonstrate that the effect of Abeta1-42 on AChE is due to an agonist effect of Abeta1-42 on the alpha7 nAChR...
- Association between a 15q25 gene variant, smoking quantity and tobacco-related cancers among 17 000 individualsEsther H Lips
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
Int J Epidemiol 39:563-77. 2010....
- "Orphan" alpha6 nicotinic AChR subunit can form a functional heteromeric acetylcholine receptorV Gerzanich
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia 19104 6074, USA
Mol Pharmacol 51:320-7. 1997..Therefore, alpha6 can function as part of AChRs with unusual pharmacological properties...
- Association of serum cotinine level with a cluster of three nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes (CHRNA3/CHRNA5/CHRNB4) on chromosome 15Kaisu Keskitalo
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 18:4007-12. 2009..13 for CPD. Variation at CHRNA5/CHRNA3/CHRNB4 cluster influences nicotine level, measured as cotinine, more strongly than smoking quantity, measured by CPD, and appears thus to be involved in regulation of nicotine levels among smokers...
- Central cholinergic regulation of respiration: nicotinic receptorsXuesi M Shao
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:761-70. 2009....
- Nicotine binding to brain receptors requires a strong cation-pi interactionXinan Xiu
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1200 East California Boulevard, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 458:534-7. 2009..Along with solving a chemical mystery in nicotine addiction, our results provide guidance for efforts to develop drugs that target specific types of nicotinic receptors.
- The CHRNA5/A3/B4 gene cluster variability as an important determinant of early alcohol and tobacco initiation in young adultsIsabel R Schlaepfer
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Biol Psychiatry 63:1039-46. 2008..Significant results were then replicated in a separate adult population-representative sample...
- Involvement of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in suppression of antimicrobial activity and cytokine responses of alveolar macrophages to Legionella pneumophila infection by nicotineK Matsunaga
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Immunol 167:6518-24. 2001....
- Nicotinic receptor gene variants influence susceptibility to heavy smokingVictoria L Stevens
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, 250 Williams Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30303 1002, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:3517-25. 2008..Our findings identify two loci in the CHRNA5-CHRNA3-CHRNB4 gene cluster that predict smoking behavior and provide strong evidence for the involvement of the alpha5 nicotinic receptor in heavy smoking...
- Nicotinic receptors, amyloid-beta, and synaptic failure in Alzheimer's diseaseSofia Jürgensen
Institute of Medical Biochemistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, 21944 590, Brazil
J Mol Neurosci 40:221-9. 2010..This review examines recent progress in our understanding of the roles of nicotinic receptors in mechanisms of synaptic plasticity, molecular interactions of Abeta with nAChRs, and how Abeta-induced ..
- Effects of imidacloprid metabolites on habituation in honeybees suggest the existence of two subtypes of nicotinic receptors differentially expressed during adult developmentD Guez
Visual Sciences, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 75:217-22. 2003..The implications of this finding for the honeybee biology are discussed...
- Insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene families: from genetic model organism to vector, pest and beneficial speciesAndrew K Jones
MRC Functional Genetics Unit, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Le Gros Clark Building, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QX, UK
Invert Neurosci 7:67-73. 2007..Unitary conductance measurements on native nAChRs indicate that more frequent openings of the largest conductance state may offer an explanation for the superagonist actions of clothianidin...
- Crystal structure of a Cbtx-AChBP complex reveals essential interactions between snake alpha-neurotoxins and nicotinic receptorsYves Bourne
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, CNRS UMR 6098, Marseille, France
EMBO J 24:1512-22. 2005....
- Behavioral sequence analysis reveals a novel role for beta2* nicotinic receptors in explorationNicolas Maubourguet
Unité Neurobiologie Intégrative des Systèmes Cholinergiques, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Comput Biol 4:e1000229. 2008....
- Defining pre-synaptic nicotinic receptors regulated by beta amyloid in mouse cortex and hippocampus with receptor null mutantsTejal K Mehta
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Neurochem 109:1452-8. 2009..to nM) on isolated pre-synaptic terminals to increase [Ca(2+)]i, with apparent involvement of pre-synaptic nicotinic receptors. To directly establish the role of nicotinic receptors in pre-synaptic Ca(2+) regulation, we investigated ..
- Nicotinic receptor-mediated activation by the tobacco-specific nitrosamine NNK of a Raf-1/MAP kinase pathway, resulting in phosphorylation of c-myc in human small cell lung carcinoma cells and pulmonary neuroendocrine cellsB A Jull
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37901-1071, USA
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 127:707-17. 2001..Furthermore, our data suggest that serotonin uptake inhibitors may protect against the development or be useful in the clinical management of SCLC...
- Chronic exposure to estrogen and the tobacco carcinogen NNK cooperatively modulates nicotinic receptors in small airway epithelial cellsHussein A N Al-Wadei
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Lung Cancer 69:33-9. 2010..This selective imbalance in stimulatory and inhibitory signaling may contribute to the development and progression of small airway-derived adenocarcinoma in women who smoke...
- Selective alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist GTS-21 improves survival in murine endotoxemia and severe sepsisValentin A Pavlov
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY, USA
Crit Care Med 35:1139-44. 2007..Here we studied whether GTS-21, a selective alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, inhibits proinflammatory cytokines in vitro and in vivo and improves survival in murine endotoxemia and severe sepsis...
- A novel angiogenic pathway mediated by non-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsChristopher Heeschen
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Clin Invest 110:527-36. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the first description of a cholinergic angiogenic pathway, and it suggests a novel avenue for therapeutic modulation of angiogenesis...
- Neonicotinoids: insecticides acting on insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsK Matsuda
Laboratory of Pesticide Chemistry, Dept of Agricultural Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Kinki University, 3327-204 Nakamachi, 631-8505, Nara, Japan
Trends Pharmacol Sci 22:573-80. 2001..Chemical calculation of atomic charges of the insecticide molecule and a site-directed mutagenesis study support this hypothesis...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: targets for commercially important insecticidesNeil S Millar
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Invert Neurosci 7:53-66. 2007..As with other classes of insecticides, there is growing evidence for the evolution of resistance to insecticides that act on nAChRs...
- Association of the neuronal nicotinic receptor beta2 subunit gene (CHRNB2) with subjective responses to alcohol and nicotineMarissa A Ehringer
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:596-604. 2007..This study provides the first evidence for association between the CHRNB2 gene and nicotine- and alcohol-related phenotypes, and suggests that polymorphisms in CHRNB2 may be important in mediating early responses to nicotine and alcohol...
- Rodent habenulo-interpeduncular pathway expresses a large variety of uncommon nAChR subtypes, but only the alpha3beta4* and alpha3beta3beta4* subtypes mediate acetylcholine releaseSharon R Grady
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA
J Neurosci 29:2272-82. 2009Recent studies suggest that the neuronal nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) present in the habenulo-interpeduncular (Hb-IPn) system can modulate the reinforcing effect of addictive drugs and the anxiolytic effect of nicotine...
- beta -Amyloid peptide blocks the response of alpha 7-containing nicotinic receptors on hippocampal neuronsQ Liu
Neurobiology Section, Division of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0357, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:4734-9. 2001....
- Nicotinic receptor stimulation protects nigral dopaminergic neurons in rotenone-induced Parkinson's disease modelsHiroki Takeuchi
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurosci Res 87:576-85. 2009..These results suggest that the rotenone mouse model may be useful for assessing candidate antiparkinson agents, and that nAChR (nicotinic acetylcholine receptor) stimulation can protect DA neurons against degeneration...
- Desensitizing and non-desensitizing subtypes of alpha-bungarotoxin-sensitive nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in cockroach neuronsVincent L Salgado
Bayer CropScience AG, Global Biology Insecticides, Alfred Nobel Strasse 50, D 40789 Monheim am Rhein, Germany
J Insect Physiol 50:867-79. 2004..Spinosyn A weakly antagonizes nAChD receptors -23% at 10 microM. The roles of the two nAChR subtypes in insecticide poisoning are discussed...
- Nicotine-induced upregulation of nicotinic receptors: underlying mechanisms and relevance to nicotine addictionAnitha P Govind
Department of Neurobiology, University of Chicago, Abbot Hall 402 MC0926, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 78:756-65. 2009..its receptors in the mesolimbic dopamine system, particularly ventral tegmental area (VTA) neurons, where nicotinic receptors act to modulate the release of dopamine...
- Cigarette smoking saturates brain alpha 4 beta 2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsArthur L Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:907-15. 2006....
- The nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene family of the honey bee, Apis melliferaAndrew K Jones
MRC Functional Genetics Unit, Department of Physiology Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QX, United Kingdom
Genome Res 16:1422-30. 2006..These findings on Apis mellifera enhance our understanding of nAChR functional genomics and provide a useful basis for the development of improved insecticides that spare a major beneficial insect species...
- The Ror receptor tyrosine kinase CAM-1 is required for ACR-16-mediated synaptic transmission at the C. elegans neuromuscular junctionMichael M Francis
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Neuron 46:581-94. 2005..We hypothesize that CAM-1 contributes to the localization or stabilization of postsynaptic ACR-16 receptors and presynaptic release sites...
- Differential desensitization and distribution of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in midbrain dopamine areasJulian R A Wooltorton
Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 3498, USA
J Neurosci 23:3176-85. 2003....
- Contribution of nicotine acetylcholine receptor polymorphisms to lung cancer risk in a smoking-independent manner in the JapaneseKouya Shiraishi
Biology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Carcinogenesis 30:65-70. 2009..These results strongly indicate that CHRNA SNPs confer lung cancer susceptibility in a small subset of Japanese in a smoking-independent manner...
- Nicotinic receptor abnormalities of Alzheimer's disease: therapeutic implicationsA Nordberg
Department of Neurotec, Division of Molecular Neuropharmacology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Biol Psychiatry 49:200-10. 2001..Treatment with cholinergic drugs in AD patients indicate improvement of the nAChRs in the brain, as visualized by PET. Further studies on neuroprotective mechanisms mediated via nAChR subtypes are exciting new avenues...
- Nicotinic receptors in aging and dementiaMarina R Picciotto
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 34 Park Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
J Neurobiol 53:641-55. 2002..We will also present hypotheses that might address the mechanisms underlying the ability of nAChR function to protect against neurodegeneration or improve cognition, two potentially distinct actions of nicotine...
- Multi-targeted Countermeasures against Acute and Delayed Effects of OP ExposureJohn A Butera; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the synapse;resulting in excitotoxic levels of acetylcholine and hypersensitization of muscarinic and nicotinic receptors. This overload of excitotoxic chemicals incapacitates the victim via cholinergic toxidrome, resulting in ..
- The Habenulo-Interpeduncular Pathway and NicotineChristie D Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- KINETICS OF DRUG MACROMOLECULE COMPLEX FORMATIONPALMER WILLIAM TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Modulation of cancer prevention by social stressHildegard M Schuller; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Resolving the role of nicotine-mediated phosphorylation on pancreatic fibrosisJoao A Paulo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed work is reflective of the progression from my graduate school work on nicotinic receptors, to my current postdoctoral research searching for pancreatic biomarkers using mass spectrometry, and now ..
- Role of Id1 in NSCLC Progression and MetastasisSrikumar P Chellappan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We believe that an in-depth mechanistic analysis as proposed in this application will lead to the development of novel therapeutic agents for non-small cell lungs cancer based on targeting the Id1 protein. ..
- Brain Nicotine Receptor Density &Response to Nicotine PatchArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, we will explore whether the combination of information from the PET images and rating scales can be used to identify even more robustly who will quit smoking with nicotine patch treatment. ..
- ULTRASTRUCTURE OF MESOLIMBIC TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONSVirginia M Pickel; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Neural Actions of TolueneJohn J Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research to be carried out in this proposal will provide a detailed analysis of the effects of abused inhalants on neurons within brain areas involved in addiction. ..
- Polymorphism and mutation spectrum in minorities with non-small cell lung cancerDavid P Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results should provide tremendous insight into the genomic factors which influence susceptibility, pathogenesis, drug sensitivity, and survival in African-Americans with non-small cell lung cancer. ..
- Biobehavioral Role of Brain Kynurenine Metabolism in Mental IllnessJASON C O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successfully unraveling these molecular networks will enable the development of novel therapeutic strategies to treat inflammation-induced depression. ..
- Nicotinic receptor stimulation and epigenetic regulation of GABAergic function.Alessandro Guidotti; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genetic Determinants of Drug EffectsTamara J Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2012..Further, our investigations are likely to render mechanisms that can be translationally studied in VA and other clinical populations. ..
- Targeting of alpha7 nAChR for therapeutic effectsRoger L Papke; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use our new discoveries about how these drugs work to help make alpha7-stimulating drugs optimally designed to treat specific diseases. ..
- Adhesion Mechanisms Mediating Sickle Cell Vasooclusion In VivoPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will provide new insight on the mechanisms regulating sickle cell VOC and lead to novel ways to target inflammation. ..
- Novel lead molecule optimization targeting nicotinic receptor subtypesDENNIS BRIAN contact MCKAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Nicotinic receptors and their many subtypes are linked to a number of neurological diseases such as schizophrenia, attention ..
- Signal transduction in TRPM5-expressing olfactory sensory neuronsDiego Restrepo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the FIRCA application would contribute to the link between basic science and clinically oriented research in the US and Chile. ..
- Models for?functional evaluation of?CHRN polymorphismsBeverly H Koller; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Hybrid atomic force-optical imaging system to investigate prenatal nicotineJeffrey Potts; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Nicotinic receptors are expressed on peripheral (carotid body) and central (brainstem neurons) structures that are involved in ..
- MiR-223 Regulation of Blood-Brain Barrier Function After Traumatic Brain InjuryJohn B Redell; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- The Role of the Nicotinic Cholinergic Pathway in Retinopathy of PrematurityJohn P Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Ethanol modulation of nicotinic receptorsJohn McDaid; Fiscal Year: 2013..These receptors and this brain region may therefore represent a target for future drug therapies to curb smoking and drinking behaviors while at the same time reducing fatalities caused by alcohol impairment. ..
- Alpha4 Nicotinic Receptor in Addiction: Mouse ModelsHenry A Lester; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Roughly 400,000 Americans and roughly 4,000,000 people worldwide die annually of the sequelae to nicotine dependence. This project attempts to explain nicotine dependence. ..
- Gender Effects on Amphetamine-Induced Dopamine Release and Subjective ResponsesMary E McCaul; Fiscal Year: 2013..These differences have been attributed to acute and chronic effects of ovarian steroid hormones on nicotinic receptors, although findings have not been conclusive...
- Nicotine, nicotinic receptors and lung cancerEliot R Spindel; Fiscal Year: 2013..The nicotinic receptors are ligand-gated ion channels composed of 5 subunits, either a mixture of a and [unreadable] subunits or 5 ..
- Effects of Artemin on NociceptorsKATHRYN MARIE ALBERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose a mechanism by which Artn produces its effect that, if correct, may allow development of analgesic compounds that are effective in treating pain associated with chronic inflammatory disease. ..
- Pharmacological Diversity of nAChRs in Clade III Nematodes: Levamisole receptorsRICHARD JOHN MARTIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The pharmacology of nematode nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) is more complex than has been appreciated...
- Mice with Functional Fluorescent Nicotinic Receptor SubunitsHenry A Lester; Fiscal Year: 2010..Other studies have linked one or both clusters with alcohol and cocaine dependence. Smoking is also clearly associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. ..
- STUDIES USING PURIFIED ACETYLCHOLINE RECEPTORSJON MARTIN LINDSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Nicotine acts through nicotinic receptors to cause addiction to tobacco, which results in more than 400,000 deaths/year in the United States...
- A lipid-based approach towards a high-resolution structure of a functional nAChRJose Lasalde-Dominicci; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, the proposed research is relevant to NIH's mission in that it will increase current knowledge about an important ligand-gated ion channel which could help extend healthy life and reduce the burdens of illness. ..
- Structural Mechanism of the Acetylcholine Receptor in Tubular Membrane CrystalsPETER NIGEL UNWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..By understanding better the biological mechanisms of these receptors, we contribute basic insight into the nature of the disorders themselves. ..
- Nicotinic receptor genes & substance abuse: Functional studies of associated SNPsJerry A Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we will assess function of nicotinic receptors whose subunit constituents were generated using our in vitro system containing different alleles for ..
- Effects of nicotine and varenicline on ethanol behaviorsNoah R Gubner; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will provide a better understanding of how to use this drug in a clinical setting for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and neuroblastomaRae Nishi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Based upon our expression data, we hypothesize that nicotinic receptors containing a5 contribute to the malignant phenotype of neuroblastoma and therefore may be a new target for ..
- Sex/Gender and Nicotine Addiction: Hormones, Behavior and NeuroimagingPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..The effects of IV nicotine and placebo nicotine on neuronal activity in brain areas with a high density of nicotinic receptors, and also in regions that may be important drug reward pathways will be measured over time, and correlated ..
- microRNA Regulation of the Nicotine Dependence Susceptibility Locus CHRNA5/A3/B4Paul D Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2013..the order CHRNA5/A3/B4 relative to the centromere) and their products assemble to form a major subtype of nicotinic receptors expressed in the nervous system...
- Nicotine and the roles of nicotinic receptors in a rodent model of schizophreniaRussell W Brown; Fiscal Year: 2013..four major findings: 1) Neonatal quinpirole treatment results in a significant increase in [unreadable]7 nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) in the striatum, a brain area important in drug reward;2) neonatal quinpirole treatment results in ..
- Alpha5 Subunits in Alpha4beta2 Nicotinic Receptors: Assembly and FunctionCRYSTAL N DILWORTH; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Roughly 400,000 Americans and roughly 4,000,000 people worldwide die annually of the sequelae to nicotine dependence. This project attempts to explain nicotine dependence. ..
- Ethanol Regulation of Neuronal Nicotinic Receptor Expression in Reward CircuitryAndrew R Tapper; Fiscal Year: 2010..The insights gained from this project should help elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying alcoholism, as well as identify molecular targets for alcohol cessation therapeutics. ..
- Role of alpha3-containing nicotinic receptors in mediating central nicotine effecEdward Hawrot; Fiscal Year: 2009..Nicotine also significantly enhances cognitive performance, and some inherited forms of epilepsy involve nicotinic receptors. In addition, a loss of cholinergic neurons is implicated in Alzheimer's disease, a disorder currently ..
- Genetics of Nicotine DependenceWade H Berrettini; Fiscal Year: 2013..These binding proteins are involved in the development of nicotine addiction. Understanding the function consequences of these DNA variations will provide direction in developing new medications for nicotine addiction. ..
- Brain Imaging of Sex Differences in Tobacco SmokersKelly P Cosgrove; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will aid in the development of medications that are specifically designed to help both women and men quit smoking. ..
- Genetic Moderation of Attentional Deficits Resulting from Nicotine WithdrawalDavid E Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research may lead to practical applications, such as matching of individual genetic profiles and cognitive characteristics with appropriate behavioral and pharmacotherapy smoking cessation treatments. ..
- The rodent continuous performance task: Filling the vigilance translational gapJARED WILLIAM YOUNG; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will validate the novel rodent continuous performance test of vigilance, providing a means by which positive results for compounds observed in rodents will likely succeed in man. ..
- Novel, subtype selective potentiators of nicotinic acetycholine receptorsMARVIN KENNETH SCHULTE; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nicotinic receptors have been implicated in a broad range of neurological disorders including Alzheimer's disease (AD), Schizophrenia, Autism, Frontal Lobe Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, ..
- Can drug targets from parasitic nematodes be usefully expressed in C. elegans?ADRIAN JOHN WOLSTENHOLME; Fiscal Year: 2013..the anthelmintic sensitivity of transgenic worm strains;3) To directly record the properties of the muscle nicotinic receptors from transgenic strains expressing parasite nicotinic subunits...
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors and Inhibitory BehaviorDavid J Bucci; Fiscal Year: 2013..Together, these results of the proposed studies will provide new insight into how nicotine affects inhibitory behavior and promote the development of enhanced smoking cessation and treatment regimens. ..
- Dissecting the Cytoplasmic Interactome of the Alpha7 nACHR SubtypeWILLIAM J BRUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The interactome data gathered from the nicotine exposed mice will be compared to the unexposed mice to determine if any difference exists. ..
- Cholinergic receptors on the nematode pharynx: an unexploited drug targetAlan P Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2012..The longer term goal of this research is provide ion- channel drug targets from a range of important parasite species in a platform (Xenopus oocytes) suitable for drug discovery screening. ..
- In-Utero Smoke, Vitamin C and Newborn Lung FunctionCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that nicotine interacts with nicotinic receptors in the developing lung, causing altered growth and pulmonary function...
- Analysis of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor function in C. elegansMichael M Francis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, nicotine binding to nicotinic receptors in the nervous system initiates the cellular and molecular cascade that results in nicotine addiction...
- Anesthetic Sites in Transmembrance Peptides by NMRPei Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The research will eventually lead to better design of safer and more effective new anesthetic drugs. ..
- Expression and Function of the Alpha 7 Nicotinic Receptor in SchizophreniaSherry Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Nicotinic receptors are involved in both schizophrenia and smoking...
- Alpha 5 Nicotinic Receptor Subunit Gene Polymorphisms and Smoking AddictionAlexey G Mukhin; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., mandated reductions in tobacco nicotine content, currently being considered by FDA. The results can also provide justification for developing new treatments targeting nicotinic receptors containing the a5 subunit.
- Interventions to Test the alpha 7 Nicotinic Receptor Model in SchizophreniaStephen Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2009..If the results of this pilot trial are positive, the next steps will be a definitive trial and efforts to develop medications that combine the allosteric modulatory and agonist properties of the combination in a single molecule. ..
- Modulation of levamisole receptors: Pharmacological Diversity of Clade III nAChRsRICHARD JOHN MARTIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..The pharmacology of nematode nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) is more complex than has been appreciated...
- Varenicline Treatment for Active Alcholic SmokersRichard D Hurt; Fiscal Year: 2012..If successful, this will be an important step forward in treating alcoholic smokers and will result in lives saved by reducing tobacco-caused deaths in this high risk population. ..
- Maternal smoking and hippocampal circuitsKatumi Sumikawa; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Mediated Bitter Taste TransductionVijay Lyall; Fiscal Year: 2013..The effects of cigarette smoking on food consumption and taste preferences may occur from peripheral taste modulation due to chronic exposure to nicotine acting on nAChRs in taste buds among other factors. ..
- Role of Habenula in Tobacco AddictionRamiro Salas; Fiscal Year: 2013..I had a postdoctoral experience in which I worked on mice with mutations on nicotinic receptors (nAChR), using behavior, in vivo pharmacology, microdialysis, etc...
- High Throughput Screening for nAChRs: Cell Lines and Assay DevelopmentYingxian Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2011..Selective ligands of nicotinic receptors can be used in studying nicotine addiction and for developing new smoking cessation therapeutics...
- NEUROPEPTIDE Y MODULATION OF ADRENOMEDULLARY SECRETIONTERRY HEXUM; Fiscal Year: 1993..the presence of various nicotinic agonists, it's action on agents stimulating secretion through other than nicotinic receptors and the effect of truncated forms of NPY and peptides possessing sequence homologies with NPY...
- The Cholinergic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway in Human Obesity and Insulin ResistanceKaren Teff; Fiscal Year: 2009..Positive findings would support future investigations for the development of a new therapeutic target to lower cytokine levels in obese individuals. ..
- In vivo and in vitro tools to target CHRNA5 for smoking cessation.Andreas Walz; Fiscal Year: 2011..in eliciting the reward signal in the brain, or by interfering with receptors, such as dopaminergic or nicotinic receptors expressed in the dopaminergic pathway...
- Diversity of Nicotinic Synapses in Sympathetic GangliaJohn Horn; Fiscal Year: 2004The long-term goal of this project is to determine how diversity in the cellular expression of neuronal nicotinic receptors contributes to synaptic function in mammalian sympathetic ganglia...
- PRE & POSTSYNAPTIC NICOTINIC ACHRS--STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONPeter Sargent; Fiscal Year: 1999..We will pay particular attention to presynaptic nicotinic receptors, which, although virtually uncharacterized to date, may represent the predominant form of nAChR in the ..
- GENETIC LINKAGE OF AUDITORY GATINGKaren Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information could be important in understanding of the etiology of the disorder and in determining future therapeutic interventions. ..
- Nicotine Addiction: ACh Receptors and SecretionAaron Fox; Fiscal Year: 2002..is not understood there is a growing body of evidence pointing to the involvement of high-affinity neuronal nicotinic receptors (nAChR) in addiction. Our project will explore possible mechanisms that underlie nicotine addiction...
- NICOTINIC RECEPTOR SITES FOR ALCOHOL ACTIONSStuart Forman; Fiscal Year: 2000..While there is both pharmacologic and physiologic data to implicate neuronal nicotinic receptors in ethanol-induced intoxication and addictive behavior, far more is known about the actions of alcohols at ..
- Beta Amyloid and Presynaptic Nicotinic ReceptorsRobert Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2007..Indeed, beta amyloid has recently been shown to interact directly with nicotinic receptors on neuronal cell bodies...
- FUNCTIONAL ACTIVITY OF MESOLIMBIC NICOTINIC RECEPTORSPETER ROWELL; Fiscal Year: 2001..Studies of nicotinic receptors in other brain areas or in peripheral nerves have shown that, while brief exposure to nicotine produces ..
- Pharmacology and Regulation of Nicotinic Receptor SubtypesKenneth Kellar; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Nicotinic receptors are also crucial for normal functioning of the autonomic nervous system, and thus they influence virtually ..
- Nicotinic Receptors in Cochlear Hair Cell PhysiologyPaul Fuchs; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will be done primarily in Argentina at INGEBI (National Research Council) in collaboration with Ana Belen Elgoyhen as an extension of NIH grant #R01 DC01508. ..