Genomes and Genes
integrin beta chains
Summary: Integrin beta chains combine with integrin alpha chains to form heterodimeric cell surface receptors. Integrins have traditionally been classified into functional groups based on the identity of one of three beta chains present in the heterodimer. The beta chain is necessary and sufficient for integrin-dependent signaling. Its short cytoplasmic tail contains sequences critical for inside-out signaling.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Fas activation induces renal tubular epithelial cell beta 8 integrin expression and function in the absence of apoptosisGeorge Jarad
Department of Medicine, Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, MetroHealth Medical Center Campus, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 1998, USA
J Biol Chem 277:47826-33. 2002..We conclude that alpha(v)beta(8) integrin induction defines an unexpected role for Fas in cell migration, rather than as a cell death receptor...
- Alpha 4 beta 7 integrin mediates lymphocyte binding to the mucosal vascular addressin MAdCAM-1C Berlin
Department of Pathology, Stanford University, California 94305
Cell 74:185-95. 1993..Alpha 4 beta 7 can also bind VCAM-1, but this requires greater integrin activation than binding to MAdCAM-1. The findings imply a selective role for the interaction of alpha 4 beta 7 and MAdCAM-1 lymphocyte in homing to mucosal sites...
- The Structure of the talin head reveals a novel extended conformation of the FERM domainPaul R Elliott
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool, L69 7ZB, UK
Structure 18:1289-99. 2010....
- Beta7 integrin-deficient mice: delayed leukocyte recruitment and attenuated protective immunity in the small intestine during enteric helminth infectionD Artis
Immunology Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, GB
Eur J Immunol 30:1656-64. 2000..Furthermore, these results suggest that beta7 integrin-independent adhesion molecule interactions are deployed in the large but not small intestine during intestinal inflammation...
- Talin binding to integrin beta tails: a final common step in integrin activationSeiji Tadokoro
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 302:103-6. 2003..Thus, regulated binding of talin to integrin beta tails is a final common element of cellular signaling cascades that control integrin activation...
- Role of β5-integrin in epithelial-mesenchymal transition in response to TGF-βAnna Bianchi
Department of Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
Cell Cycle 9:1647-59. 2010..Finally, depletion of β5-integrin significantly reduced invasiveness of breast carcinoma cells. Thus, the β5-integrin adhesions contribute to the TGFβ-induced EMT and the tumorigenic potential of carcinoma cells...
- Role of the beta1-integrin subunit in the adhesion, extravasation and migration of T24 human bladder carcinoma cellsChristoph Heyder
Institute of Immunology, Witten Herdecke University, 58448 Witten, Germany
Clin Exp Metastasis 22:99-106. 2005..Our observations strongly suggest a central role for the beta(1)-integrin subunit in forming the cell-cell and cell-matrix bonds necessary for adhesion, extravasation and migration...
- Distribution and evolution of von Willebrand/integrin A domains: widely dispersed domains with roles in cell adhesion and elsewhereCharles A Whittaker
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Mol Biol Cell 13:3369-87. 2002..These allow inferences about similar functions in novel situations such as protease regulators (e.g., complement factors and trypsin inhibitors) and intracellular proteins (e.g., helicases, chelatases, and copines)...
- Tailored integrin-extracellular matrix interactions to direct human mesenchymal stem cell differentiationJessica Ellen Frith
Tissue Engineering and Microfluidics Laboratory, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
Stem Cells Dev 21:2442-56. 2012..This platform also provides information for the development of biomaterials capable of directing hMSC differentiation for use in tissue engineering therapies...
- Mechanisms that regulate adaptor binding to beta-integrin cytoplasmic tailsKyle R Legate
Department of Molecular Medicine, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany
J Cell Sci 122:187-98. 2009....
- The regulation mechanism for the auto-inhibition of binding of human filamin A to integrinUlla Pentikäinen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Mol Biol 393:644-57. 2009..This observed force-induced conformational change can also be one of possible mechanisms involved in the regulation of integrin activation...
- Memory CCR6+CD4+ T cells are preferential targets for productive HIV type 1 infection regardless of their expression of integrin β7Patricia Monteiro
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Montreal, Montreal, H3C 3J7 Quebec, Canada
J Immunol 186:4618-30. 2011....
- Cell-cell adhesion via the ECM: integrin genetics in fly and wormN H Brown
Wellcome CRC Institute and Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Rd, CB2 1QR, Cambridge, UK
Matrix Biol 19:191-201. 2000..The continued use of genetic approaches to identify proteins required for integrin function in these two model organisms should lead to the identification of the minimal set of conserved components that form integrin adhesive structures...
- Treatment of radioresistant stem-like esophageal cancer cells by an apoptotic gene-armed, telomerase-specific oncolytic adenovirusXiaochun Zhang
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:2813-23. 2008..Because CSCs require telomerase to proliferate, a telomerase-specific oncolytic adenoviral vector carrying apoptotic tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand and E1A gene (Ad/TRAIL-E1) may preferentially target CSCs...
- A direct test of potential roles for beta3 and beta5 integrins in growth and metastasis of murine mammary carcinomasDaniela Taverna
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cancer Res 65:10324-9. 2005..These data indicate that alphavbeta3 or alphavbeta5 integrins are not essential for tumor growth and progression, although they might play some role in mammary gland development...
- Src kinase activation by direct interaction with the integrin beta cytoplasmic domainElena G Arias-Salgado
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13298-302. 2003..The data provide a paradigm for integrin regulation of Src and a molecular basis for the similar functional defects of osteoclasts or platelets from mice lacking beta3 integrins or c-Src...
- Integrins on eggs: the betaC subunit is essential for formation of the cortical actin cytoskeleton in sea urchin eggsRobert D Burke
Departments of Biology and Biochemistry Microbiology, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
Dev Biol 265:53-60. 2004..These studies demonstrate that the cortical actin cytoskeleton is anchored by betaC integrins and contractile ring actin is not. We suggest that one important function of egg integrins is to organize the actin cortex...
- Connections between integrins and Rac GTPase pathways control gonad formation and function in C. elegansMyeongwoo Lee
Department of Biology, Baylor University, One Bear Place 97388, Waco, TX 76798, United States
Biochim Biophys Acta 1723:248-55. 2005..Furthermore, data showing distinct phenotypes of HA-betatail with unc-73 versus ced-5 suggest some tissue-specificity in the usage of Rac signaling pathways...
- Pl-nectin, a discoidin family member, is a ligand for betaC integrins in the sea urchin embryoFrancesca Zito
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Biomedicina e Immunologia Molecolare Alberto Monroy, Via Ugo La Malfa 153, Palermo, Italy
Matrix Biol 29:341-5. 2010....
- Egg integrins: back in the game of mammalian fertilizationJanice P Evans
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
ACS Chem Biol 4:321-3. 2009..Recent data provide insights into the function of egg integrins in mammalian fertilization and address some of the controversies regarding the involvement of these molecules in sperm-egg interaction...
- Kindlin-1 and -2 directly bind the C-terminal region of beta integrin cytoplasmic tails and exert integrin-specific activation effectsDavid S Harburger
Department of Pharmacology and Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 284:11485-97. 2009..We suggest that kindlins are adaptor proteins that regulate integrin activation, that kindlin expression levels determine their effects, and that kindlins may exert integrin-specific effects...
- Blood-borne human plasma cells in steady state are derived from mucosal immune responsesHenrik E Mei
Center for Tumor Medicine, Institute of Transfusion Medicine, Charite University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Blood 113:2461-9. 2009..Systemic vaccination does not impact on peripheral IgA(+) plasmablast numbers, indicating that mucosal and systemic humoral immune responses are regulated independent of each other...
- Structural basis for the autoinhibition of talin in regulating integrin activationEsen Goksoy
Department of Molecular Cardiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Mol Cell 31:124-33. 2008..These data define a distinct autoinhibition mechanism for talin and suggest how it controls integrin activation and cell adhesion...
- The N-terminal SH2 domains of Syk and ZAP-70 mediate phosphotyrosine-independent binding to integrin beta cytoplasmic domainsDarren G Woodside
Division of Vascular Biology, Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 277:39401-8. 2002..Thus, the binding of Syk and ZAP-70 to integrin beta cytoplasmic domains represents a novel phosphotyrosine-independent interaction mediated by their N-terminal SH2 domains...
- Beta8 integrin binds Rho GDP dissociation inhibitor-1 and activates Rac1 to inhibit mesangial cell myofibroblast differentiationSujata Lakhe-Reddy
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
J Biol Chem 281:19688-99. 2006....
- Novel role for alphavbeta5-integrin in retinal adhesion and its diurnal peakEmeline F Nandrot
Margaret M Dyson Vision Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 290:C1256-62. 2006..Furthermore, they indicate that alpha(v)beta(5) receptors at the same apical plasma membrane domain of RPE cells fulfill two separate functions that are synchronized by different diurnal rhythms...
- A fundamental subdivision of circulating lymphocytes defined by adhesion to mucosal addressin cell adhesion molecule-1. Comparison with vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and correlation with beta 7 integrins and memory differentiationL S Rott
Laboratory of Immunology and Vascular Biology, Department of Pathology, Stanford University, CA 94305
J Immunol 156:3727-36. 1996....
- Extracellular matrix-mediated tissue remodeling following axial movement of teethXianghong Luan
Department of Oral Biology, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 55:127-40. 2007....
- The integrin alphavbeta6 is critical for keratinocyte migration on both its known ligand, fibronectin, and on vitronectinX Huang
Lung Biology Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Center for Occupational and Environmental Health and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Cell Sci 111:2189-95. 1998....
- Critical role for beta7 integrins in formation of the gut-associated lymphoid tissueN Wagner
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Germany
Nature 382:366-70. 1996..This is probably due to a failure of beta7-/- lymphocytes to arrest and adhere to the vasculature at the site of transmigration into the GALT...
- Loss of synchronized retinal phagocytosis and age-related blindness in mice lacking alphavbeta5 integrinEmeline F Nandrot
Margaret M Dyson Vision Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Exp Med 200:1539-45. 2004..Furthermore, they identify the beta5-/- integrin mouse strain as a new animal model of age-related retinal dysfunction...
- Induction of an epithelial integrin alphavbeta6 in human cytomegalovirus-infected endothelial cells leads to activation of transforming growth factor-beta1 and increased collagen productionTakako Tabata
Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0640, USA
Am J Pathol 172:1127-40. 2008..Our results suggest that activation of TGF-beta1 by integrin alphavbeta6 contributes to pathological changes and may impair endothelial cell functions in tissues that are chronically infected with CMV...
- Enhanced pathological angiogenesis in mice lacking beta3 integrin or beta3 and beta5 integrinsLouise E Reynolds
Cell Adhesion and Disease Laboratory, Richard Dimbleby Department, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Nat Med 8:27-34. 2002....
- The molecular basis of filamin binding to integrins and competition with talinTiila Kiema
Biocenter Oulu, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Mol Cell 21:337-47. 2006..Phosphothreonine-mimicking mutations inhibit filamin, but not talin, binding, indicating that kinases may modulate this competition and provide additional means to control integrin functions...
- A virus-encoded telomerase RNA promotes malignant T cell lymphomagenesisSascha Trapp
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Exp Med 203:1307-17. 2006..We concluded that vTR plays a critical role in MDV-induced T cell lymphomagenesis. Furthermore, our results provide the first description of tumor-promoting effects of TR in a natural virus-host infection model...
- Increased filamin binding to beta-integrin cytoplasmic domains inhibits cell migrationD A Calderwood
Department of Vascular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Cell Biol 3:1060-8. 2001..Thus, tight filamin binding restricts integrin-dependent cell migration by inhibiting transient membrane protrusion and cell polarization...
- Normal development, wound healing, and adenovirus susceptibility in beta5-deficient miceX Huang
Lung Biology Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0854, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:755-9. 2000..These data suggest that alphavbeta5 is not essential for normal development, reproduction, adenovirus infection, or the healing of cutaneous wounds...
- Type I gamma phosphatidylinositol phosphate kinase targets and regulates focal adhesionsKun Ling
Department of Pharmacology, Program in Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1300 University Avenue, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Nature 420:89-93. 2002..This defines a mechanism for spatial generation of PtdIns(4,5)P(2) at focal adhesions...
- Focal adhesion kinase controls morphogenesis of the Drosophila optic stalkSatoshi Murakami
Laboratory of Morphogenesis, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Development 134:1539-48. 2007..Hence the optic stalk is a simple monolayered structure that can serve as an ideal system for studying glial cell morphogenesis and the developmental role(s) of focal adhesion signaling...
- The betaL integrin subunit is necessary for gastrulation in sea urchin embryosM Marsden
Department of Biology, University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 2Y2, Canada
Dev Biol 203:134-48. 1998..We propose that betaL forms receptors that bind to RGD-containing ligands and anchors actin filaments. These receptors appear to be essential in several aspects of morphogenesis...
- Structural basis of the migfilin-filamin interaction and competition with integrin beta tailsYatish Lad
Department of Pharmacology and Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 283:35154-63. 2008..In this specific case, displacement of integrin tails from filamin by migfilin may provide a mechanism for switching between different integrin-cytoskeleton linkages...
- A novel, tissue-specific integrin subunit, beta nu, expressed in the midgut of Drosophila melanogasterG H Yee
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139
Development 118:845-58. 1993..Within this structure, beta v transcripts are especially concentrated in the cells of the midgut imaginal islands which give rise to the adult midgut...
- Roles for beta(pat-3) integrins in development and function of Caenorhabditis elegans muscles and gonadsM Lee
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544-1014, USA
J Biol Chem 276:36404-10. 2001..These results show that betapat-3 plays important roles in post-embryonic organogenesis and tissue function...
- Role of alpha 4-integrins in lymphocyte homing to mucosal tissues in vivoA Hamann
Department of Immunology, University Hospital of Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Immunol 152:3282-93. 1994..The results support a major, but not exclusive role of the alpha 4/beta 7-integrin in lymphocyte traffic to mucosal sites...
- A family of beta 7 integrins on human mucosal lymphocytesC M Parker
Laboratory of Immunochemistry, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:1924-8. 1992....
- Adenovirus vector vaccination induces expansion of memory CD4 T cells with a mucosal homing phenotype that are readily susceptible to HIV-1Adel Benlahrech
Department of Immunology, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19940-5. 2009....
- pat-4/ILK and unc-112/Mig-2 are required for gonad function in Caenorhabditis elegansXiaojian Xu
Department of Biology, Baylor University, One Bear Place 97388, Waco, TX 76798, USA
Exp Cell Res 312:1475-83. 2006..Taken together, our analysis confirms the role of integrin and integrin-associated proteins in gonad function...
- The beta 7 integrins in mucosal homing and retentionS K Shaw
Division of Rheumatology and Immunology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Semin Immunol 7:335-42. 1995..Thus, members of the B7 subfamily of integrins, alpha E beta 7 and alpha 4 beta 7, and their counter-receptors, are believed to play key roles in directing lymphocyte traffic to and retention in mucosal organs...
- Migfilin, a molecular switch in regulation of integrin activationSujay Subbayya Ithychanda
Department of Molecular Cardiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 284:4713-22. 2009..Migfilin thus acts as a molecular switch to disconnect filamin from integrin for regulating integrin activation and dynamics of extracellular matrix-actin linkage...
- Lung epithelial lining fluid T cell subsets defined by distinct patterns of beta 7 and beta 1 integrin expressionD J Erle
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, California
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 10:237-44. 1994..The alpha E beta 7- and alpha E beta 7+ BALF T cell subsets were also found to differ in their expression of other integrins.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Spatial heterogeneity of TNF-alpha-induced T cell migration to colonic mucosa is mediated by MAdCAM-1 and VCAM-1Chikako Watanabe
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283:G1379-87. 2002..Spatial heterogeneity of MAdCAM-1 and VCAM-1 activation following TNF-alpha challenge may promote specific T lymphocyte recruitment in the inflamed colonic mucosa...
- The Foxc2 transcription factor regulates angiogenesis via induction of integrin beta3 expressionHisaki Hayashi
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232 6300, USA
J Biol Chem 283:23791-800. 2008..Taken together, these results suggest that Foxc2 directly induces Itgb3 expression and regulates angiogenesis by Itgb3-mediated endothelial cell adhesion and migration...
- Chemokine signaling controls endodermal migration during zebrafish gastrulationSreelaja Nair
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Science 322:89-92. 2008..This process may have relevance to human gastrointestinal bifurcations and other organ defects...
- Alpha4beta7/MAdCAM-1 interactions play an essential role in transitioning cryptopatches into isolated lymphoid follicles and a nonessential role in cryptopatch formationCaihong Wang
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 181:4052-61. 2008....
- Simultaneous changes in the function and expression of beta 1 integrins during the growth arrest of poorly differentiated colorectal cells (LISP-1)R A Roela
Disciplina de Oncologia, Departamento de Radiologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:1091-9. 2003....
- Adhesion and migration of extracellular matrix-stimulated breast cancerJohn E Bartsch
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Ohio, 3065 Arlington Avenue, Ohio 43614 5807, Toledo, USA
J Surg Res 110:287-94. 2003..We hypothesized that ECM binding to integrin receptors on breast cancer cells influenced cellular adhesion and migration...
- Advanced glycation endproducts interefere with integrin-mediated osteoblastic attachment to a type-I collagen matrixAntonio Desmond McCarthy
Catedra de Bioquimica Patologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, 47 y 115, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:840-8. 2004..AGEs-modification of type-I collagen impairs the integrin-mediated adhesion of osteoblastic cells to the matrix, and could thus contribute to the pathogenesis of diabetic osteopenia...
- Candida albicans expresses a focal adhesion kinase-like protein that undergoes increased tyrosine phosphorylation upon yeast cell adhesion to vitronectin and the EA.hy 926 human endothelial cell lineGiorgio Santoni
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, 62032 Camerino, Italy
Infect Immun 70:3804-15. 2002..hy 926 endothelial cells. Our results suggest that C. albicans Fak-like protein is involved in the control of yeast cell adhesion to VN and endothelial cells...
- A major lung CD103 (alphaE)-beta7 integrin-positive epithelial dendritic cell population expressing Langerin and tight junction proteinsSun Sang J Sung
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlotteville, 22908, USA
J Immunol 176:2161-72. 2006..They exhibit an activated phenotype in allergen-induced lung inflammation and may play significant roles in asthma pathogenesis...
- Bovine gamma delta T cell subsets express distinct patterns of chemokine responsiveness and adhesion molecules: a mechanism for tissue-specific gamma delta T cell subset accumulationEric Wilson
Laboratory of Immunology and Vascular Biology, Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, and Center for Molecular Biology and Medicine, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, CA 94304, USA
J Immunol 169:4970-5. 2002..These results suggest that the tropism of circulating CD8(+)gammadelta T cells for mucosal tissues is due, at least in part, to selective developmental expression of adhesion molecules and chemokine receptors...
- Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors block leukocyte adhesion and migrationLi Liu
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Immunol 180:1808-17. 2008..The finding that Cdk inhibitors can block leukocyte adhesion and migration may expand the clinical indications for this emerging class of therapeutics...
- Osteoclast size heterogeneity in rat long bones is associated with differences in adhesive ligand specificityYingwei Hu
Center for Oral Biology, Department of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 04 Huddinge, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 314:638-50. 2008..The small osteoclast adhering to PT and TH may represent either an immature, less functional precursor to the large osteoclast or alternatively constitute a distinct osteoclast population with a specific role in bone...
- Localization of extracellular matrix receptors on the chondrocyte primary ciliumSusan R McGlashan
Department of Anatomy with Radiology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
J Histochem Cytochem 54:1005-14. 2006..The data strongly suggest that chondrocyte primary cilia have the necessary machinery to act as mechanosensors, linking the ECM to cytoplasmic organelles responsible for matrix production and secretion...
- Neonatal infection with a milk-borne virus is independent of beta7 integrin- and L-selectin-expressing lymphocytesJennifer Czarneski
Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Eur J Immunol 32:945-56. 2002..These results suggest that adhesion molecules other than beta7 integrin or L-selectin play a role in lymphocyte homing in the gut, peripheral lymph nodes and mammary gland in response to MMTV infection...
- Human gingival fibroblast integrin subunit expression on titanium implant surfacesThomas W Oates
Department of Periodontics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Periodontol 76:1743-50. 2005..Therefore, the aim of this study was to examine integrin expression for gingival fibroblasts on titanium surfaces and the influence of titanium surface roughness on integrin expression and cell morphology...
- Morphological analysis of integrin-mediated adhesion of immature human mast cells to extracellular matrix proteinsJens Küchler
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Arch Dermatol Res 298:153-61. 2006..This was associated with alignment of integrins along actin filaments within the cytoplasm, PKC signalling and changes in shape and activation of mast cells...
- The crystal structure of the plexin-semaphorin-integrin domain/hybrid domain/I-EGF1 segment from the human integrin beta2 subunit at 1.8-A resolutionMinLong Shi
School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, 60 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637551, Singapore
J Biol Chem 280:30586-93. 2005....
- The alpha4bbeta7-integrin is dynamically expressed on murine eosinophils and involved in eosinophil trafficking to the intestineE B Brandt
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 36:543-53. 2006..Most studies have focused on the role of the alpha4beta1-adhesion complex, but eosinophils also express the alpha4beta7-integrin complex...
- Tetanus neurotoxin-mediated cleavage of cellubrevin impairs epithelial cell migration and integrin-dependent cell adhesionVeronique Proux-Gillardeaux
Membrane Traffic in Neuronal and Epithelial Morphogenesis, Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale Avenir Team, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universités Paris 6 et 7, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:6362-7. 2005..These results suggest that Cb-dependent membrane trafficking participates in cell motility through the regulation of cell adhesion...
- Regulation of highly cytokinergic IgE-induced mast cell adhesion by Src, Syk, Tec, and protein kinase C family kinasesJiro Kitaura
Division of Cell Biology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Immunol 174:4495-504. 2005..Thus, binding of HC IgEs to Fc epsilon RI induces adhesion of mast cells to fibronectin by modulating cellular activation signals in a unique fashion...
- In vivo demonstration of T lymphocyte migration and amelioration of ileitis in intestinal mucosa of SAMP1/Yit mice by the inhibition of MAdCAM-1K Matsuzaki
Second Department of Internal Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 140:22-31. 2005..The results demonstrate that, although MAdCAM-1 and VCAM-1 play an important role in T lymphocyte-endothelial cell interactions in SAMP1/Yit mice, MAdCAM-1 may be a more appropriate target for therapeutic modulation of chronic ileitis...
- Integrin interactions with immobilized peptides in polyethylene glycol diacrylate hydrogelsAnjelica L Gonzalez
Section of Leukocyte Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Tissue Eng 10:1775-86. 2004..This model allows investigation of specific ligand-induced leukocyte functions and the development of engineered matrices with defined bioactive properties...
- Bovine respiratory syncytial virus infection influences the impact of alpha- and beta-integrin-mediated adhesion of peripheral blood neutrophilsE C Soethout
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands corrected
Clin Exp Immunol 138:388-95. 2004....
- Regulation of integrin functions by N-glycansJianguo Gu
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, B1, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Glycoconj J 21:9-15. 2004..This review summarizes effects of the posttranslational modification of N-glycans of alpha3beta1 and alpha5beta1 integrins on their association, activation and biological functions, by using biochemical and genetic approaches...
- Identification of integrin beta subunit mutations that alter heterodimer function in situAlison L Jannuzi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:3829-40. 2004..Finally, comparisons with the sequence of human beta8 suggest that evolution has targeted the "mys(b58)" residue as a means of affecting integrin activity...
- CD98hc (SLC3A2) interaction with the integrin beta subunit cytoplasmic domain mediates adhesive signalingGerald W Prager
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 282:24477-84. 2007..These studies also provide new insights into how CD98hc may cooperate with other cytoplasmic domain binding proteins to modulate integrin functions and into the evolution of integrin signaling...
- Adhesion and signaling by B cell-derived exosomes: the role of integrinsAled Clayton
Section of Clinical Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Velindre Hospital, Whitchurch, Cardiff, UK
FASEB J 18:977-9. 2004....
- Expression and function of C/EBP homology protein (GADD153) in podocytesMartin F Bek
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University Clinics Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Am J Pathol 168:20-32. 2006..Our data suggest that CHOP-via increased ROS generation-regulates cell-matrix adhesion of podocytes in glomerular disease...
- Beta-integrin of Anopheles gambiae: mRNA cloning and analysis of structure and expressionV Mahairaki
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas, 711 10 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Insect Mol Biol 10:217-23. 2001..Finally, the expression of the gene does not seem to be modulated during blood meals, except for a substantial increase 48 h posthaematophagy, when digestion is nearly complete...
- Mice lacking beta3 integrins are osteosclerotic because of dysfunctional osteoclastsK P McHugh
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 105:433-40. 2000..Thus, although it is not required for osteoclastogenesis, the integrin alphavbeta3 is essential for normal osteoclast function...
- Maturation-dependent expression and function of the CD49d integrin on monocyte-derived human dendritic cellsA Puig-Kroger
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain Servicio de Inmuno Oncología, Hospital Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
J Immunol 165:4338-45. 2000..The differential expression of CD49d on immature and mature MDDC might contribute to their distinct motility capabilities and mediate mature DC migration into lymphoid organs...
- Enhancement of endothelial cell migration and in vitro tube formation by TAP20, a novel beta 5 integrin-modulating, PKC theta-dependent proteinS Tang
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Cell Biol 147:1073-84. 1999..Thus, the discovery of TAP20, which interacts with integrin beta5 and modulates cell adhesion, migration, and tube formation, further defines a possible pathway to angiogenesis dependent on PKCtheta...
- Expression and cellular distribution of alpha(v)integrins in beta(1)integrin-deficient embryonic stem cell-derived cardiac cellsK Guan
In Vitro Differentiation Group, IPK Gatersleben, D-06466 Gatersleben, Germany
J Mol Cell Cardiol 33:521-32. 2001....
- Inflammatory cytokines synergize with the HIV-1 Tat protein to promote angiogenesis and Kaposi's sarcoma via induction of basic fibroblast growth factor and the alpha v beta 3 integrinG Barillari
Laboratory of Virology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Immunol 163:1929-35. 1999....
- Alpha9 and beta8 integrin expression correlates with the merger of the developing mouse eyelidsM A Stepp
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Ophthalmology, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dev Dyn 214:216-28. 1999..The data presented identify specific integrins and matrix proteins that are likely to mediate eyelid fusion...
- Efficient lymphocyte migration across high endothelial venules of mouse Peyer's patches requires overlapping expression of L-selectin and beta7 integrinD A Steeber
Department of Immunology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Immunol 161:6638-47. 1998....
- The role of alpha and beta chains in ligand recognition by beta 7 integrinsJ M Higgins
Lymphocyte Biology Section, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology, and Allergy, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 275:25652-64. 2000..Thus, although specificity can be determined by the integrin alpha or beta chain, common structural features of both subunits are required for recognition of dissimilar ligands...
- Intestinal mast cell progenitors require CD49dbeta7 (alpha4beta7 integrin) for tissue-specific homingM F Gurish
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Exp Med 194:1243-52. 2001....
- Differential effects of the integrins alpha9beta1, alphavbeta3, and alphavbeta6 on cell proliferative responses to tenascin. Roles of the beta subunit extracellular and cytoplasmic domainsY Yokosaki
Lung Biology Center, Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 271:24144-50. 1996....
- Monoclonal antibodies specific for beta 7 integrin and mucosal addressin cell adhesion molecule-1 (MAdCAM-1) reduce inflammation in the colon of scid mice reconstituted with CD45RBhigh CD4+ T cellsD Picarella
LeukoSite, Inc, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 158:2099-106. 1997....
- Recirculation and homing of lymphocyte subsets: dual homing specificity of beta 7-integrin(high)-lymphocytes in nonobese diabetic miceA Hänninen
National Public Health Institute, Turku, Finland
Blood 88:934-44. 1996....
- The alphavbeta5 integrin functions as an endocytic receptor for vitronectinL M Memmo
Cell and Molecular Biology Program, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
J Cell Sci 111:425-33. 1998..This study provides the first evidence that the alphavbeta5 vitronectin receptor directly mediates the internalization of vitronectin...
- A point mutation in the integrin beta 6 subunit abolishes both alpha v beta 6 binding to fibronectin and receptor localization to focal contactsX Z Huang
Lung Biology Center, UCSF 94143, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 13:245-51. 1995....
- The roles of L-selectin, beta 7 integrins, and P-selectin in leukocyte rolling and adhesion in high endothelial venules of Peyer's patchesE J Kunkel
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Immunol 161:2449-56. 1998..In situ, beta 7 integrins and L-selectin account for all lymphocyte homing to Peyer's patches, but P-selectin-dependent rolling, as induced by minimal trauma, may support trafficking of effector T lymphocytes to Peyer's patches...
- Molecular characterization of cell substratum attachments in human glial tumors relates to prognostic featuresN Belot
Laboratory of Histopathology, Faculty of Medicine, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Glia 36:375-90. 2001..A potential role for the beta 8 integrin subunit in glioma cell substratum attachments is also emphasized...
- The talin rod IBS2 alpha-helix interacts with the beta3 integrin cytoplasmic tail membrane-proximal helix by establishing charge complementary salt bridgesSophie Rodius
Laboratoire de Biologie et Physiologie Intégrée CNRS GDRE ITI, Université du Luxembourg, L 1511 Luxembourg, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
J Biol Chem 283:24212-23. 2008....
- Characterization of the human platelet glycoprotein IIIa gene. Comparison with the fibronectin receptor beta-subunit geneF Lanza
COR Therapeutics, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080
J Biol Chem 265:18098-103. 1990..Of the eight splice sites identified in beta 1, six occurred at the same amino acid residue in GPIIIa. These results provide genetic evidence that GPIIIa and beta 1 have a common evolutionary origin within the integrin family...
- Pleomorphic adenoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma: in vitro study of the impact of TGFbeta1 on the expression of integrins and cytoskeleton markers of cell differentiationSilvia Vanessa Lourenço
General Pathology Department, Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Exp Pathol 88:191-8. 2007..ACC cells were less responsive to such stimulation. This may reflect important differences in the biological behaviour of benign and malignant cells...
- Cloning and sequence analysis of a novel beta 2-related integrin transcript from T lymphocytes: homology of integrin cysteine-rich repeats to domain III of laminin B chainsQ A Yuan
Department of Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Int Immunol 2:1097-108. 1990..We conclude that beta 7 may be a new member of the leukocyte cell adhesion molecule subset of integrins, and is a candidate immunoregulatory molecule...
- The LIM-only protein DRAL/FHL2 binds to the cytoplasmic domain of several alpha and beta integrin chains and is recruited to adhesion complexesV Wixler
Institute for Biochemistry II, Medical Faculty, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 52, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:33669-78. 2000..These results, together with the fact that full-length DRAL/FHL2 is found in cell adhesion complexes, suggest that it is an adaptor/docking protein involved in integrin signaling pathways...
- Cloning and expression of a divergent integrin subunit beta 8M Moyle
Department of Cardiovascular Research, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080
J Biol Chem 266:19650-8. 1991....
- GENETIC ELEMENTS CONTROLLING MYELOID DIFFERENTIATIONEdward Agura; Fiscal Year: 1993..The CD18 gene, which codes for leukocyte integrin beta chains, is a target for myeloid transcriptional regulators; it is strongly induced by RA in HL60 cells and is ..
- CELLULAR TRAFFICKING TO INFLAMED FEMALE GENITAL MUCOSAKathleen Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2007..Insight into CXCL13 secretion will impact public health and the welfare of women in the US by aiding the development of therapeutics to prevent tubal infertility. ..
- Characterization of Corneal Epithelial Stem CellsMary Ann Stepp; Fiscal Year: 2005..Discovering specific molecular markers for the limbal stem cells will aid in the development of treatments for stem cell deficiency diseases of the ocular surface in humans. ..
- A NOVEL VECTOR FOR VACCINATION AGAINST HEPETITIS C VIRUSNikolaus Osterrieder; Fiscal Year: 2006..The tests will include ELISPOT and CTL assays in the context of a human class I allele using HLA-A2.1 transgenic mice. ..
- Novel Functions for Telomerase Enzyme Complex in VivoSteven Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through analysis of a conditional knockout mouse, we will determine the role of endogenous telomerase in cells in culture and in stern/progenitor compartments in vivo. ..
- Role of T Cell Immunity in Primate AIDSAftab Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CD4+ T CELL DYSFUNCTION IN SIVAftab Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- P13Kdelta Modulation of Neutrophil TraffickingTHOMAS DIACOVO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Moreover, our results will define a new role for class I PBKs, regulation of the adhesive properties of inflamed endothelium. ..
- Development of a haspin kinase assay for high throughput drug screeningJONATHAN HIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, such inhibitors will provide an excellent way to validate haspin as a target for cancer treatment, and they might find direct application as chemotherapeutic drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Therapeutic DNA-MVA prime boost vaccination for HPV diseaseCornelia Trimble; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pharmacology of Targeted Therapy to Brain TumorsFRANCIS SZOKA; Fiscal Year: 2008..These results will provide a rationale for targeted therapies for human brain tumors. ..
- Role of Eotaxin-3/CCL26 in Allergic AsthmaLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..The identification of chemokines that promote allergic asthma is an important step in the future development of therapeutics to target specific molecules within the airways. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VZV BACs: New Tools for Pathogenesis ResearchNikolaus Osterrieder; Fiscal Year: 2005..B-scid/beige mice, and infected MeWo or MeWo-9 cells will be used to inoculate the grafts. Virus replication in the implants will be examined by virus titrations, real-time PCR, histopathology and immunohistochemistry. ..
- CELL ADHESION MOLECULES OF MAMMALIAN FERTILIZATIONJanice Evans; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research also will also address fundamental questions in cell adhesion biology by examining this interesting, biologically relevant cell-cell interaction event. ..
- SJOGRENS SYNDROME SALIVARY GLAND AND APOPTOSISHoward Dang; Fiscal Year: 2001..Caspase inhibitors will be used to identify specific proteases during apoptosis. Biopsy material from patents with Sjogren's syndrome will be immunostained for bcl-2 family member expression. ..
- SYNTHETIC GENE CARRIERS TO TREAT CYSTIC FIBROSISFRANCIS SZOKA; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Biocompatible Dendritic Polymers : In Vivo ApplicationsFRANCIS SZOKA; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MHCL RESTRICTED TCR RECOGNITION--STRUCTURAL BASISJia huai Wang; Fiscal Year: 2002..This should establish whether the docking mode is fixed or variable and whether there are restricted interactions between specific CDRs and MHC versus peptide residues. ..
- Adnesion Receptors of the Insect Immune SystemJAMES NARDI; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the molecular underpinnings of the insect immune response will clearly help in understanding the fate of pathogens in the blood of insect vectors of human diseases. ..
- SHEAR STRESS MODULATION OF ENDOTHELIAL WOUND HEALINGMARIA LUIZA ALBUQUERQUE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Investigation of the mechanisms underlying endothelial repair during shear stress may lead to better strategies for the management of patients suffering from a variety of cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Diabetes: Implant Integration, Success, and BenefitThomas W Oates; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, this information will contribute to the establishment of evidence-based guidelines for the assessment and application of dental implant therapy for patients with diabetes. ..
- Protein Interactions of the Germ Cell Kinase HaspinJONATHAN HIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CD4 T Cell Activation in SIV+Disease Resistant MangabeysAftab Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Phase I/II Trial of a Therapeutic HPV VaccineCornelia Trimble; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Neurotrophin Signaling in Multiple MyelomaRoger N Pearse; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Biocompatible Dendritic Polymers for in vivo ApplicationsFRANCIS SZOKA; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of this research will enable a variety of substantially improved targeted therapies and diagnostic imaging applications that can be successfully applied to treat humans with cancer. ..
- Early Immune Events in Childhood AsthmaLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Role of integrin signaling in gonad functionsMyeongwoo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will additionally advance our knowledge on the role of cell-ECM interaction in gonad development and functions. ..
- TAP20, NOVEL INTEGRIN MODULATING PROTEINShaoqing Tang; Fiscal Year: 2001..We anticipate that these studies should provide data that will be useful in designing new strategic for pharmacologic intervention in ischemic vascular disease and cancer. ..
- HIV INFECTION/COCAINE EFFECT ON CARDIOVASCULAR PATHOLOGYAftab Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2003..We reason that such studies may provide unique insights on the relationship between the effects of cocaine and HIV infection in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease. ..
- TELOMERE DYSFUNCTION, GENOMIC INSTABILITY AND CANCERSteven Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Transplantation experiments using this model will reveal if the effect on tumor biology is a cell autonomous one. ..
- THERAPEUTIC VACCINES FOR HPV DISEASESCornelia Trimble; Fiscal Year: 2005..These facilities will be used to develop Dr. Trimble's ability to design and execute clinical trials evaluating preneoplastic HPV-associated lesions of the female lower genital tract. ..
- Motif-based elucidation of protein modification codesJONATHAN HIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The development of methodology to determine the functional impact of these marks is therefore a critical requirement for future work in all areas of biomedicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Induction of hepatic tolerance to parasitic nematodesSusan Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research emphasis of the Institute is directed towards animal models of disease, providing a highly supportive environment for the applicant's career development. ..
- Function of the chromosomal kinase haspin in mitosisJONATHAN M HIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2010..A greater knowledge of the role of human haspin in this process will help us understand the defects that underlie transformation and may lead to new approaches to block the division of cancer cells. ..
- Identification of Serum Markers of Liver Fibrogenesis/ Fibrolysis by ProteomicsDetlef Schuppan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Adaptation to the human proteome and prospective validation shall allow noninvasive monitoring of fibrosis progression and regression in patients with liver diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mouse Models for Celiac DiseaseDetlef Schuppan; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. by immunomodulatory cytokines or by cytokine antagonists. It is anticipated that the results will improve our understanding and management of cd and related autoimmune diseases. ..
- Structure/Functional Characterization of vWF-A1 DomainTHOMAS DIACOVO; Fiscal Year: 2007..Information from these studies may aid in the design of antithrombotics with specific kinetic properties that can compete with the native-ligand pair. ..