Genomes and Genes
Summary: A flavoprotein and iron sulfur-containing oxidoreductase that catalyzes the oxidation of NADH to NAD. In eukaryotes the enzyme can be found as a component of mitochondrial electron transport complex I. Under experimental conditions the enzyme can use CYTOCHROME C GROUP as the reducing cofactor. The enzyme was formerly listed as EC 188.8.131.52.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- Structure of the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex: nomenclature for nuclear-encoded subunitsKentaro Ifuku
Division of Integrated Life Science, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Sakyo, Kyoto, 606 8502 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 52:1560-8. 2011The chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex (NDH) was first discovered based on its similarity to complex I in respiratory electron transport, and is involved in electron transport from photoproduced stromal reductants such as NADPH ..
- Understanding mitochondrial complex I assembly in health and diseaseMasakazu Mimaki
Department of Biochemistry, La Trobe University, Melbourne, VIC 3086, Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1817:851-62. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Biogenesis/Assembly of Respiratory Enzyme Complexes...
- The Cu(II)-reductase NADH dehydrogenase-2 of Escherichia coli improves the bacterial growth in extreme copper concentrations and increases the resistance to the damage caused by copper and hydroperoxideLuisa Rodríguez-Montelongo
Departamento Bioquímica de la Nutrición, Instituto Superior de Investigaciones Biológicas Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, San Miguel de Tucuman 4000, Argentina
Arch Biochem Biophys 451:1-7. 2006b>NADH dehydrogenase-2 (NDH-2) from Escherichia coli respiratory chain is a membrane-bound cupric-reductase encoded by ndh gene...
- Optimized allotopic expression of the human mitochondrial ND4 prevents blindness in a rat model of mitochondrial dysfunctionSami Ellouze
Institut de la Vision, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, Unité mixte de recherche S 592, 17 rue Moreau, Paris F 75012, France
Am J Hum Genet 83:373-87. 2008..Hence, these data provide the proof-of-principle that optimized allotopic expression can be an effective treatment for LHON, and they open the way to clinical studies on other devastating mitochondrial disorders...
- Human mitochondrial complex I assembly is mediated by NDUFAF1Rutger O Vogel
Department of Paediatrics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Netherlands
FEBS J 272:5317-26. 2005..Based on these data, we propose that NDUFAF1 is an important protein for the assembly/stability of complex I...
- Structure of the membrane domain of respiratory complex IRouslan G Efremov
Medical Research Council Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Wellcome Trust MRC Building, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Nature 476:414-20. 2011..The structure indicates that proton translocation in complex I, uniquely, involves coordinated conformational changes in six symmetrical structural elements...
- A multiplex real-time PCR method to detect and quantify mitochondrial DNA deletions in individual cellsKim J Krishnan
Mitochondrial Research Group, School of Neurology, Neurobiology, and Psychiatry, Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Anal Biochem 370:127-9. 2007
- Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase 9 is required for the biogenesis of oxidative phosphorylation complex IJessica Nouws
Nijmegen Centre for Mitochondrial Disorders at the Department of Pediatrics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Cell Metab 12:283-94. 2010....
- Early complex I assembly defects result in rapid turnover of the ND1 subunitOlga Zurita Rendón
Montreal Neurological Institute and Department of Human Genetics, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2B4
Hum Mol Genet 21:3815-24. 2012..These data suggest that the four early CI assembly factors have non-redundant functions in the assembly of a module that docks and stabilizes newly synthesized ND1, nucleating assembly of the holoenzyme...
- Composition and physiological function of the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex in Marchantia polymorphaMinoru Ueda
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan CREST, Japan
Plant J 72:683-93. 2012The chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like (NDH) complex mediates cyclic electron transport and chloro-respiration and consists of five sub-omplexes, which in angiosperms further associate with photosystem I (PSI) to form a super-complex...
- Phylogeography of Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti (L.) and Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) based on mitochondrial DNA variationsLaurence Mousson
Insectes et Maladies Infectieuses formerly Ecologie des Systèmes Vectoriels, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Genet Res 86:1-11. 2005..albopictus mosquitoes based on three mitochondrial-DNA genes (cytochrome b, cytochrome oxidase I and NADH dehydrogenase subunit 5). Little genetic variation was observed for a...
- Hydrogen peroxide mediates the induction of chloroplastic Ndh complex under photooxidative stress in barleyL M Casano
Departamento de Biologia Vegetal, Universidad de Alcala de Henares, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Plant Physiol 125:1450-8. 2001Chloroplast-encoded NDH polypeptides (components of the plastid Ndh complex) and the NADH dehydrogenase activity of the Ndh complex (NADH-DH) increased under photooxidative stress...
- Mitochondrial DNA mutation associated with Leber's hereditary optic neuropathyD C Wallace
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322
Science 242:1427-30. 1988..This mutation converted a highly conserved arginine to a histidine at codon 340 in the NADH dehydrogenase subunit 4 gene and eliminated an Sfa NI site, thus providing a simple diagnostic test...
- NDUFA10 mutations cause complex I deficiency in a patient with Leigh diseaseSaskia J G Hoefs
Department of Paediatrics, Nijmegen Centre for Mitochondrial Disorders, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Hum Genet 19:270-4. 2011..These results indicate that NDUFA10 is a novel candidate gene to screen for disease-causing mutations in patients with complex I deficiency...
- Chlororespiration is involved in the adaptation of Brassica plants to heat and high light intensityMilagros Díaz
Departamento de Biologia Vegetal, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, E 30100 Murcia, Spain
Plant Cell Environ 30:1578-85. 2007..of thylakoid membranes using specific antibodies raised against the NDH-K subunit of the thylakoidal NADH dehydrogenase complex (NADH DH) and against plastid terminal oxidase (PTOX) revealed a higher amount of both proteins in B...
- Role of subunit NuoL for proton translocation by respiratory complex IStefan Steimle
Institut für Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Albert Ludwigs Universität, Albertstrasse 21, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Biochemistry 50:3386-93. 2011..In addition, the same H+/e- stoichiometry is obtained with the variant lacking the C-terminal transmembraneous helix of NuoL, indicating its role in energy transmission...
- Conserved lysine residues of the membrane subunit NuoM are involved in energy conversion by the proton-pumping NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (Complex I)Liliya Euro
Helsinki Bioenergetics Group, Institute of Biotechnology, PO Box 65 Viikinkaari 1 FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1777:1166-72. 2008..A tentative principle of proton translocation by Complex I is suggested based on electrostatic interactions of lysines in the membrane subunits...
- The multiplicity of dehydrogenases in the electron transport chain of plant mitochondriaAllan G Rasmusson
Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Sölvegatan 35B, SE 22362 Lund, Sweden
Mitochondrion 8:47-60. 2008..This review will highlight the novel branches and their consequences for the understanding of electron transport and redundancy of electron paths...
- Clinical and molecular findings in children with complex I deficiencyM Bugiani
Department of Child Neurology, National Institute of Neurology C Besta, Milano, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1659:136-47. 2004..The latter cases suggest the possibility of unconventional patterns of inheritance in complex I defects...
- Reversible glutathionylation of complex I increases mitochondrial superoxide formationEllen R Taylor
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Wellcome Trust MRC Bldg, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2XY, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:19603-10. 2003....
- Genetic variability of Aedes aegypti in the Americas using a mitochondrial gene: evidence of multiple introductionsJosé Eduardo Bracco
Departamento de Epidemiologia, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, 01246 904, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:573-80. 2007..Amplification and sequencing of a fragment of the mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase subunit 4 gene identified 20 distinct haplotypes, of which 14 are exclusive to the Americas, four to African/..
- Rates of behavior and aging specified by mitochondrial function during developmentAndrew Dillin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0448, USA
Science 298:2398-401. 2002..Thus, the developing animal appears to contain a regulatory system that monitors mitochondrial activity early in life and, in response, establishes rates of respiration, behavior, and aging that persist during adulthood...
- A nucleus-encoded factor, CRR2, is essential for the expression of chloroplast ndhB in ArabidopsisMihoko Hashimoto
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Nara 630 0101, Japan
Plant J 36:541-9. 2003..We have determined the function of a PCMP family member, indicating that the family is closely related to pentatrico-peptide PPR proteins involved in the maturation steps of organellar RNA...
- Differential ability of cytostatics from anthraquinone group to generate free radicals in three enzymatic systems: NADH dehydrogenase, NADPH cytochrome P450 reductase, and xanthine oxidaseJolanta Pawłowska
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biochemistry, Technical University of Gdansk, Narutowicza St 11 12, 80 952 Gdansk, Poland
Oncol Res 13:245-52. 2003..This process is catalyzed primarily by NADH dehydrogenase, NADPH cytochrome P450 reductase, and xanthine oxidase, and leads to the formation of reactive oxygen ..
- Improved detection of Bartonella DNA in mammalian hosts and arthropod vectors by real-time PCR using the NADH dehydrogenase gamma subunit (nuoG)James M Colborn
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:4630-3. 2010We used a whole-genome scanning technique to identify the NADH dehydrogenase gamma subunit (nuoG) primer set that is sensitive and specific enough to detect a diverse number of Bartonella species in a wide range of environmental samples ..
- Increased sensitivity of photosynthesis to antimycin A induced by inactivation of the chloroplast ndhB gene. Evidence for a participation of the NADH-dehydrogenase complex to cyclic electron flow around photosystem IT Joet
Commissariat a l Energie Atomique, Cadarache, laboratoire d écophysiologie de la photosynthèse, Département d Ecophysiologie Végétale et Microbiologie, Bât 161, F 13108 Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Plant Physiol 125:1919-29. 2001..The absence of visible phenotype in ndhB- plants under normal conditions is explained by the complement of these two pathways in the supply of extra-ATP for photosynthesis...
- Purification of the 45 kDa, membrane bound NADH dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli (NDH-2) and analysis of its interaction with ubiquinone analoguesK Bjorklof
Helsinki Bioenergetics Group, Department of Medical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, P O Box 8, Siltavuorenpenger 10, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
FEBS Lett 467:105-10. 2000..The latter observation is in agreement with possible evolutionary relation between NDH-2 and water-soluble enzymes such as dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase. There is currently no clear indication of how NDH-2 binds to biological membranes...
- Transcripts of the ndhH-D operon of barley plastids: possible role of unedited site III in splicing of the ndhA intronE M Del Campo
Department of Plant Biology, Universidad de Alcala, Alcala de Henares, 28871 Madrid, Spain
Nucleic Acids Res 28:1092-8. 2000..Splicing of the ndhA intron releases the site III C from pairing and, probably, brings it close to cis-acting elements for editing upstream in the first exon...
- The subunit composition of the human NADH dehydrogenase obtained by rapid one-step immunopurificationJames Murray
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Oregon, Eugene 97403, USA
J Biol Chem 278:13619-22. 2003Defects of the NADH dehydrogenase complex are predominantly manifested in mitochondrial diseases and are significantly associated with the development of many late onset neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease...
- Decreased NADH dehydrogenase and ubiquinol-cytochrome c oxidoreductase in peripheral arterial diseaseE P Brass
Department of Medicine, Harbor University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance, California 90509, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H603-9. 2001..Skeletal muscle NADH dehydrogenase activity was decreased by 27% compared with controls when expressed per unit of citrate synthase activity...
- Type II NADH dehydrogenase inhibitor 1-hydroxy-2-dodecyl-4(1H)quinolone leads to collapse of mitochondrial inner-membrane potential and ATP depletion in Toxoplasma gondiiSan San Lin
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 57, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Eukaryot Cell 8:877-87. 2009....
- MidA is a putative methyltransferase that is required for mitochondrial complex I functionSergio Carilla-Latorre
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols CSIC UAM, Arturo Duperier 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Cell Sci 123:1674-83. 2010..We found that these aspects of the phenotype are mediated by a chronic activation of AMPK, revealing a possible role of AMPK signaling in complex I cytopathology...
- Evidence for Cu(I)-thiolate ligation and prediction of a putative copper-binding site in the Escherichia coli NADH dehydrogenase-2Viviana A Rapisarda
Departamento Bioquímica de la Nutrición, Instituto Superior de Investigaciones Biologicas, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Chacabuco 461, San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Arch Biochem Biophys 405:87-94. 2002b>NADH dehydrogenase-2 (NDH-2) from Escherichia coli is a membrane-bound flavoprotein linked to the respiratory chain...
- Cyclic electron flow around photosystem I in C(3) plants. In vivo control by the redox state of chloroplasts and involvement of the NADH-dehydrogenase complexThierry Joet
Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Cadarache, Département d Ecophysiologie Végétale et de Microbiologie, Unité Mixte de Recherche 163 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 13108 Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Plant Physiol 128:760-9. 2002..We conclude that the Ndh complex is required for rapid electron cycling around PS I...
- Human ind1, an iron-sulfur cluster assembly factor for respiratory complex IAlex D Sheftel
Institut fur Zytobiologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Robert Koch Strasse 6, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 29:6059-73. 2009..Together, these data identify huInd1 as a new assembly factor for human respiratory complex I with a possible role in the delivery of one or more Fe/S clusters to complex I subunits...
- The expression of the mitochondrial gene MT-ND4 is downregulated in cystic fibrosisAngel G Valdivieso
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 356:805-9. 2007..These results suggest that the CFTR chloride transport activity indirectly up-regulates MT-ND4 expression...
- Electron transfer properties of NADH:ubiquinone reductase in the ND1/3460 and the ND4/11778 mutations of the Leber hereditary optic neuroretinopathy (LHON)A Majander
Department of Medical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
FEBS Lett 292:289-92. 1991..reduction in rotenone-sensitive and ubiquinone-dependent electron transfer activity, whereas the proximal NADH dehydrogenase activity of the Complex is unaffected...
- The three families of respiratory NADH dehydrogenasesStefan Kerscher
Molecular Bioenergetics Group, Centre of Excellence Macromolecular Complexes, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, 60590, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Results Probl Cell Differ 45:185-222. 2008..This review gives an overview of the origin, structural and functional properties and physiological significance of these three types of NADH dehydrogenase.
- Mutation screening of 75 candidate genes in 152 complex I deficiency cases identifies pathogenic variants in 16 genes including NDUFB9Tobias B Haack
Institute of Human Genetics, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Med Genet 49:83-9. 2012..Identification of the molecular basis is difficult given the clinical and genetic heterogeneity. Most patients lack a molecular definition in routine diagnostics...
- Respiratory chain complex I, a main regulatory target of the cAMP/PKA pathway is defective in different human diseasesSergio Papa
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Section of Medical Biochemistry, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
FEBS Lett 586:568-77. 2012..Complex I dysfunction has, indeed, been found, to be associated with several human diseases. Knowledge of the pathogenetic mechanisms of these diseases can help to develop new therapeutic strategies...
- The p.M292T NDUFS2 mutation causes complex I-deficient Leigh syndrome in multiple familiesHelen A L Tuppen
Mitochondrial Research Group, Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Brain 133:2952-63. 2010..Our results confirm that NDUFS2 is a mutational hotspot in Caucasian children with isolated complex I deficiency and recommend the routine diagnostic investigation of this gene in patients with Leigh or Leigh-like phenotypes...
- Variation in coding (NADH dehydrogenase subunits 2, 3, and 6) and noncoding intergenic spacer regions of the mitochondrial genome in Octocorallia (Cnidaria: Anthozoa)Catherine S McFadden
Department of Biology, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 6:516-26. 2004..We sequenced fragments of 3 mitochondrial protein-coding genes (NADH dehydrogenase subunits ND2, ND3 and ND6) as well as the COI-COII intergenic spacer, the longest noncoding region found in ..
- Gene delivery to mitochondria by targeting modified adenoassociated virus suppresses Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy in a mouse modelHong Yu
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E1238-47. 2012....
- In Yarrowia lipolytica mitochondria, the alternative NADH dehydrogenase interacts specifically with the cytochrome complexes of the classic respiratory pathwaySergio Guerrero-Castillo
Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Biochim Biophys Acta 1787:75-85. 2009..respiratory chain constituted by the classic complexes I, II, III and IV, plus an alternative external NADH dehydrogenase (NDH2e) and an alternative oxidase (AOX)...
- Dissection of the caffeate respiratory chain in the acetogen Acetobacterium woodii: identification of an Rnf-type NADH dehydrogenase as a potential coupling siteFrank Imkamp
Molecular Microbiology and Bioenergetics, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt Main, Max von Laue Str 9, 60438 Frankfurt, Germany
J Bacteriol 189:8145-53. 2007..could encode this activity revealed DNA fragments encoding subunits C and D of a membrane-bound Rnf-type NADH dehydrogenase that is a potential Na(+) pump...
- Oxidative stress in fungal fermentation processes: the roles of alternative respirationQ Li
Department of Biochemical Engineering, University College London, London, UK
Biotechnol Lett 33:457-67. 2011..Finally, the importance of further research which would underpin a less empirical approach to optimising fungal strains for the fermenter environment is emphasised...
- Sp1 expression is disrupted in schizophrenia; a possible mechanism for the abnormal expression of mitochondrial complex I genes, NDUFV1 and NDUFV2Dorit Ben-Shachar
Laboratory of Psychobiology, Department of Psychiatry, Rambam Medical Center, Ruth and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
PLoS ONE 2:e817. 2007..We investigated whether the ubiquitous transcription factor Sp1 is abnormally expressed in schizophrenia, and consequently can affect the expression of genes implicated in this disorder...
- Primary structure and characterisation of a 64 kDa NADH dehydrogenase from the inner membrane of Neurospora crassa mitochondriaA M Melo
Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, 4150, Porto, Portugal
Biochim Biophys Acta 1412:282-7. 1999A cDNA clone encoding a mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase from Neurospora crassa was sequenced...
- Variation in the sequence of a mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase I gene fragment among six natural populations of Schistosoma japonicum from ChinaE Sørensen
Danish Centre for Experimental Parasitology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg C
Int J Parasitol 28:1931-4. 1998..chain reaction-based methods were employed to determine the sequence for a subunit of the mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase I gene for populations from Zhejiang, Anhui, Jiangxi, Hunan, Hubei and Sichuan...
- Upregulation of human mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase subunit 5 in intestinal epithelial cells is modulated by Vibrio cholerae pathogenesisMadhubanti Sarkar
Human Genetics and Genomics Group, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4, Raja S C Mullick Road, Jadavpur, Kolkata 700 032, India
FEBS Lett 579:3449-60. 2005..This is the first report of alteration in mitochondrial gene expression upon infection of a non-invasive enteric bacterium like V. cholerae showing its modulation with adherence, motility and virulence of the organism...
- A mitochondrial DNA mutation at nucleotide pair 14459 of the NADH dehydrogenase subunit 6 gene associated with maternally inherited Leber hereditary optic neuropathy and dystoniaA S Jun
Department of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:6206-10. 1994..a G-to-A transition at nucleotide pair (np) 14459, changed a moderately conserved alanine to a valine at NADH dehydrogenase subunit 6 (ND6) residue 72...
- NADH dehydrogenase subunit-2 237 Leu/Met polymorphism modifies the effects of alcohol consumption on risk for hypertension in middle-aged Japanese menAkatsuki Kokaze
Department of Public Health, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Mitaka, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:213-8. 2007b>NADH dehydrogenase subunit-2 237 leucine/methionine (ND2-237 Leu/Met) polymorphism is associated with longevity in the Japanese population, and the ND2-237Met genotype may exert antiatherogenic effects...
- Mice with mitochondrial complex I deficiency develop a fatal encephalomyopathyShane E Kruse
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Cell Metab 7:312-20. 2008..KO muscle has normal morphology but low NADH dehydrogenase activity and subsarcolemmal aggregates of mitochondria...
- Superoxide generation from mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase induces self-inactivation with specific protein radical formationYeong Renn Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 280:37339-48. 2005Mitochondrial superoxide (O(2)(.)) production is an important mediator of oxidative cellular injury. While NADH dehydrogenase (NDH) is a critical site of this O(2)(.) production; its mechanism of O(2)(.) generation is not known...
- Assembly factors of human mitochondrial complex I and their defects in diseaseMatthew McKenzie
Department of Biochemistry, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
IUBMB Life 62:497-502. 2010..Defects in assembly factors which disrupt complex I assembly and contribute to human disease pathogenesis will also be discussed...
- mt-Nd2a suppresses reactive oxygen species production by mitochondrial complexes I and IIIAaron M Gusdon
Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0275, USA
J Biol Chem 283:10690-7. 2008..A cytosine to adenine transversion in the mitochondrially encoded NADH dehydrogenase subunit 2 (mt-ND2, human; mt-Nd2, mouse) gene results in resistance against type 1 diabetes and several ..
- Coupling mitochondrial respiratory chain to cell death: an essential role of mitochondrial complex I in the interferon-beta and retinoic acid-induced cancer cell deathG Huang
Signal Transduction Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Cell Death Differ 14:327-37. 2007..Knockdown of GRIM-19 (gene associated with retinoid-interferon-induced mortality-19) and NDUFS3 (NADH dehydrogenase (ubiquinone) Fe-S protein 3), two subunits of MRC complex I, by siRNA in two cancer cell lines conferred ..
- Bidirectional replication initiates at sites throughout the mitochondrial genome of birdsAurelio Reyes
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Wellcome Trust MRC Building, Hills Road Cambridge, CB2 2XY, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 280:3242-50. 2005..The majority of initiation events map to regions flanking the major non-coding region, in particular the NADH dehydrogenase subunit 6 (ND6) gene...
- Structural organization of mitochondrial human complex I: role of the ND4 and ND5 mitochondria-encoded subunits and interaction with prohibitinIngrid Bourges
UMR 5090 CNRS DRDC, CEA Grenoble, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochem J 383:491-9. 2004Mitochondria-encoded ND (NADH dehydrogenase) subunits, as components of the hydrophobic part of complex I, are essential for NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase activity...
- An Src homology 3 domain-like fold protein forms a ferredoxin binding site for the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex in ArabidopsisHiroshi Yamamoto
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Plant Cell 23:1480-93. 2011..We propose that NDH functions as a PGR5-PGRL1 complex-independent Fd:plastoquinone oxidoreductase in chloroplasts and rename it the NADH dehydrogenase-like complex.
- The mitochondrial DNA G13513A MELAS mutation in the NADH dehydrogenase 5 gene is a frequent cause of Leigh-like syndrome with isolated complex I deficiencyM Chol
INSERM U393 and Department of Genetics, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sevres, 75015 Paris, France
J Med Genet 40:188-91. 2003....
- Two mitochondrial group I introns in a metazoan, the sea anemone Metridium senile: one intron contains genes for subunits 1 and 3 of NADH dehydrogenaseC T Beagley
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:5619-23. 1996Mitochondrial genes for cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COI) and NADH dehydrogenase subunit 5 (ND5) of the sea anemone Metridium senile (phylum Cnidaria) each contain a group I intron...
- External alternative NADH dehydrogenase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a potential source of superoxideJing Fang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506 9142, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 34:478-88. 2003..Proteinase K digestion of mitoplasts reduced 95% NADH dehydrogenase activity with a similar inhibition of superoxide production...
- Dysfunctions of cellular oxidative metabolism in patients with mutations in the NDUFS1 and NDUFS4 genes of complex IArcangela Iuso
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Biology, and Physics, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare, 70124 Bari, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:10374-80. 2006..These are relevant observations for a possible therapeutical strategy in NDUFS1 mutant patients...
- Protection by the NDI1 gene against neurodegeneration in a rotenone rat model of Parkinson's diseaseMathieu Marella
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e1433. 2008..Using the rotenone rat model, we investigated the protective effects of alternative NADH dehydrogenase (Ndi1) which we previously demonstrated to act as a replacement for complex I both in vitro and in vivo...
- Cytosolic signaling protein Ecsit also localizes to mitochondria where it interacts with chaperone NDUFAF1 and functions in complex I assemblyRutger O Vogel
Department of Paediatrics, Nijmegen Centre for Mitochondrial Disorders, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen 6500 HB, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 21:615-24. 2007..These findings support a function for Ecsit in the assembly or stability of mitochondrial complex I, possibly linking assembly of oxidative phosphorylation complexes to inflammatory response and embryonic development...
- Preservation of NADH ubiquinone-oxidoreductase activity by Src kinase-mediated phosphorylation of NDUFB10Etienne Hébert-Chatelain
INSERM U688 Physiopathologie Mitochondriale, Universite de Bordeaux, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux 33076, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1817:718-25. 2012..These results suggest that the preservation of complex I function by mitochondrial Src kinase could be important in the development of the overall phenotype of cancer...
- mt-Nd2 Allele of the ALR/Lt mouse confers resistance against both chemically induced and autoimmune diabetesC E Mathews
Department of Pediatrics, Diabetes Institute, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3460 5th Ave, Rangos Research Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Diabetologia 48:261-7. 2005..Here we show that the mitochondrial genome (mtDNA) of ALR mice contributes resistance to diabetes...
- Supercomplex formation with photosystem I is required for the stabilization of the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex in ArabidopsisLianwei Peng
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Plant Physiol 155:1629-39. 2011In higher plants, the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex (NDH) interacts with photosystem I (PSI) to form the NDH-PSI supercomplex via two minor light-harvesting complex I (LHCI) proteins, Lhca5 and Lhca6...
- ND6 gene "lost" and found: evolution of mitochondrial gene rearrangement in Antarctic notothenioidsXuan Zhuang
Department of Animal Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, IL, USA
Mol Biol Evol 27:1391-403. 2010..Recently, the mitochondrial (mt) NADH dehydrogenase subunit 6 (ND6) gene and the adjacent transfer RNA(Glu) (tRNA(Glu)) were also reportedly lost...
- Transcriptional regulation of the proton translocating NADH dehydrogenase genes (nuoA-N) of Escherichia coli by electron acceptors, electron donors and gene regulatorsJ Bongaerts
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Weinforschung, Universitat Mainz, Germany
Mol Microbiol 16:521-34. 1995..A physiological role for the transcriptional stimulation by O2 and nitrate is suggested...
- Location, expression and orientation of the putative chlororespiratory enzymes, Ndh and IMMUTANS, in higher-plant plastidsAdrian M Lennon
Wolfson Laboratories, Department of Biological Sciences, South Kensington Campus, Imperial College London, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Planta 218:254-60. 2003..Interestingly, both the Ndh complex and the IMMUTANS protein accumulate within etiolated leaf tissue, lacking the photosystem II complex, consistent with roles outside photosynthetic electron transport...
- A metabolic enzyme that rapidly produces superoxide, fumarate reductase of Escherichia coliJ A Imlay
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
J Biol Chem 270:19767-77. 1995..Since the turnover numbers for superoxide formation by other flavoenzymes are orders of magnitude lower than that of fumarate reductase (1600 min-1), additional steric or electronic factors must accelerate its autoxidation...
- The expression of several mitochondrial and nuclear genes encoding the subunits of electron transport chain enzyme complexes, cytochrome c oxidase, and NADH dehydrogenase, in different brain regions in Alzheimer's diseaseM Y Aksenov
Sanders Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536, USA
Neurochem Res 24:767-74. 1999..expression of two mitochondrial and two nuclear genes encoding the subunits of cytochrome c oxidase (CO) and NADH dehydrogenase (ND) were studied in the hippocampus, inferior parietal lobule, and cerebellum of 10 Alzheimer's disease (AD)..
- The optimized allotopic expression of ND1 or ND4 genes restores respiratory chain complex I activity in fibroblasts harboring mutations in these genesCrystel Bonnet
Institut de la Vision, Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris, INSERM UMR S 592, 17 rue Moreau, Paris, F 75012 France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:1707-17. 2008..Hence, we confirmed here for two mitochondrial genes located in the organelle that the optimized allotopic expression approach represents a powerful tool that could ultimately be applied in human therapy for LHON...
- Early-onset ophthalmoplegia in Leigh-like syndrome due to NDUFV1 mutationsVincent Laugel
Department of Pediatrics, Strasbourg University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Pediatr Neurol 36:54-7. 2007....
- Polymyxin B identified as an inhibitor of alternative NADH dehydrogenase and malate: quinone oxidoreductase from the Gram-positive bacterium Mycobacterium smegmatisTatsushi Mogi
Department of Biomedical Chemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Biochem 146:491-9. 2009..polymyxin B (cationic decapeptide) and nanaomycin A (naphtoquinone derivative) as inhibitors of alternative NADH dehydrogenase [50% inhibitory concentration (IC(50)) values of 1...
- Free radicals-mediated damage in transmitochondrial cells harboring the T14487C mutation in the ND6 gene of mtDNARicardo Gonzalo
Centre d Investigacions en Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Passeig Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
FEBS Lett 579:6909-13. 2005..We suggest that mutations in mtDNA affecting complex I activity may result in oxidative cellular damage, and reinforce the possible role of ROS-mediated mechanisms participating in some mtDNA-related disorders...
- Progressive encephalopathy and complex I deficiency associated with mutations in MTND1A R Moslemi
Department of Pathology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Neuropediatrics 39:24-8. 2008..The findings in this patient as well as in patient 2 demonstrate new clinical expressions of mutations in MTND1. The findings in patient 2 also illustrates that MTND mutations may be pathogenic even at a low percentage...
- Enhancement of lactate and succinate formation in adhE or pta-ackA mutants of NADH dehydrogenase-deficient Escherichia coliN R Yun
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX, USA
J Appl Microbiol 99:1404-12. 2005..The aim of the study is to investigate the effect of multiple mutations in redox or energy producing pathways of Escherichia coli on metabolic product distribution in anaerobic-rich media cultures...
- Homologues of yeast and bacterial rotenone-insensitive NADH dehydrogenases in higher eukaryotes: two enzymes are present in potato mitochondriaA G Rasmusson
Department of Plant Physiology, Lund University, Sweden
Plant J 20:79-87. 1999..Phylogenetic analyses group the rotenone-insensitive NADH dehydrogenases largely by species, but suggest ancient gene duplications...
- Mitochondrial genome from the facultative anaerobe and petite-positive yeast Dekkera bruxellensis contains the NADH dehydrogenase subunit genesEmanuel Procházka
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
FEMS Yeast Res 10:545-57. 2010..bruxellensis also carries genes for the NADH dehydrogenase complex...
- Interaction of rhodanese with mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenaseS Pagani
Biochim Biophys Acta 742:278-84. 1983b>NADH dehydrogenase is an iron-sulfur flavoprotein which is isolated and purified from Complex I (mitochondrial NADH: ubiquinone oxidoreductase) by resolution with NaClO4...
- Characterization of an internal type-II NADH dehydrogenase from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mitochondriaRenaud Lecler
Laboratory of Genetics of Microorganisms, Institute of Botany, University of Liege, B22, Boulevard du Rectorat, 27, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Curr Genet 58:205-16. 2012..Respiration and growth rates in heterotrophic conditions were significantly altered in the double mutants investigated, suggesting that Nda1 plays a role in the oxidation of matrix NADH in the absence of complex I...
- Mutant NADH dehydrogenase subunit 4 gene delivery to mitochondria by targeting sequence-modified adeno-associated virus induces visual loss and optic atrophy in miceHong Yu
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Mol Vis 18:1668-83. 2012....
- Contribution of NADH dehydrogenase subunit I and cytochrome C oxidase subunit I sequences toward identifying a case of human coenuriasis in FranceJocelyne Collomb
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, CHU Brabois, 54511 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Parasitol 93:934-7. 2007..Molecular analysis of NADH dehydrogenase subunit I (NDI) and cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COI) sequences was also in favor of T...
- Molecular basis of the low activity of antitumor anthracenediones, mitoxantrone and ametantrone, in oxygen radical generation catalyzed by NADH dehydrogenase. Enzymatic and molecular modelling studiesJolanta Tarasiuk
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biochemistry, Gdansk University of Technology, Gdansk, Poland
Eur J Med Chem 40:321-8. 2005..drugs, in contrast to anthracycline antibiotics, are ineffective in free radical formation in NADH dehydrogenase system...
- Molecular gene therapy: overexpression of the alternative NADH dehydrogenase NDI1 restores overall physiology in a fungal model of respiratory complex I deficiencyMarc F P M Maas
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
J Mol Biol 399:31-40. 2010..fungal model Podospora anserina, that the overexpression of the native mitochondrial matrix-faced type II NADH dehydrogenase NDI1, paralogue of the human apoptosis inducing factor AIF1, can fully restore all physiological ..
- The exogenous NADH dehydrogenase of heart mitochondria is the key enzyme responsible for selective cardiotoxicity of anthracyclinesH Nohl
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Veterinary University Vienna, Austria
Z Naturforsch C 53:279-85. 1998..This one electron reduction of anthracyclines is catalyzed by the exogenous NADH dehydrogenase associated with complex I of heart mitochondria, an enzyme which is lacking in liver mitochondria...
- Prognostic implications and molecular associations of NADH dehydrogenase subunit 4 (ND4) mutations in acute myeloid leukemiaF Damm
Department of Hematology, Hemostasis, Oncology, and Stem Cell Transplantation, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Leukemia 26:289-95. 2012To study the prevalence and prognostic importance of mutations in NADH dehydrogenase subunit 4 (ND4), a mitochondrial encoded transmembrane component of the electron transport chain respiratory Complex I, 452 AML patients were examined ..
- The roles of the alternative NADH dehydrogenases during oxidative stress in cultures of the filamentous fungus Aspergillus nigerAndrew O'Donnell
Merck Millipore, 2 Fleming Road, Kirkton Campus, Livingston, EH54 BT, United Kingdom
Fungal Biol 115:359-69. 2011..The findings of the present study help further our understanding of the central roles of these highly conserved enzymes within fungal metabolism under oxidative stress...
- Multistep assembly of chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like subcomplex A requires several nucleus-encoded proteins, including CRR41 and CRR42, in ArabidopsisLianwei Peng
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Plant Cell 24:202-14. 2012Chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex (NDH) mediates photosystem I cyclic electron transport and chlororespiration in thylakoids...
- Identification of the Ndh (NAD(P)H-plastoquinone-oxidoreductase) complex in etioplast membranes of barley: changes during photomorphogenesis of chloroplastsA Guéra
Departamento de Biologia Vegetal, Universidad de Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Plant Cell Physiol 41:49-59. 2000..after light exposure of barley seedlings grown in the dark, was accompanied by a decrease in the NADH dehydrogenase activity associated to plastid membranes...
- Involvement of Candida albicans NADH dehydrogenase complex I in filamentationJustin A McDonough
Department of Pediatrics and Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Yale University School of Medicine, 464 Congress Avenue, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Fungal Genet Biol 36:117-27. 2002..These results suggest a previously unexplored relationship between mitochondrial electron transport and morphogenesis...
- Microplate-based kinetic method for assay of mitochondrial NADH-- and succinate--cytochrome c reductase activitiesApurva Kumar R Joshi
Food Protectants and Infestation Control Department, Central Food Technological Research Institute CSIR Laboratory, Mysore 570020, India
Anal Biochem 415:209-11. 2011..The microplate format described here can be employed for rapid and simultaneous measurements of mitochondrial NADH-- and succinate--cytochrome c reductase activities in a large number of samples...
- Expression of Ndi1p, an alternative NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase, increases mitochondrial membrane potential in a C. elegans model of mitochondrial diseaseAdrienne DeCorby
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H7
Biochim Biophys Acta 1767:1157-63. 2007..We have expressed the Saccharomyces cerevisiae NDI1 gene, which encodes a single subunit NADH dehydrogenase, in a strain of Caenorhabditis elegans with an impaired complex I...
- Type II NADH dehydrogenase of the respiratory chain of Plasmodium falciparum and its inhibitorsCarolyn K Dong
Department of Immunology and Infectious Disease, Harvard School of Public Health, Building 1, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:972-5. 2009..Here, we provide evidence that HDQ likely targets another P. falciparum mitochondrial enzyme, dihydroorotate dehydrogenase (pfDHOD), which is essential for de novo pyrimidine biosynthesis...
- The internal alternative NADH dehydrogenase of Neurospora crassa mitochondriaMargarida Duarte
Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
Biochem J 371:1005-11. 2003..The 57 kDa NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase acts as internal (alternative) respiratory NADH dehydrogenase (NDI1) in the fungal mitochondria...
- Echinococcus granulosus strain differentiation based on sequence heterogeneity in mitochondrial genes of cytochrome c oxidase-1 and NADH dehydrogenase-1A Obwaller
Department of Medical Parasitology, Clinical Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A 1095 Vienna, Austria
Parasitology 128:569-75. 2004..Hence, our data highly support a re-evaluation of the taxonomy of the clades G1-G3, G4, G5, G6/7 and G8 (cervid strain) within the genus Echinococcus...
- Modification of substrate specificity in single point mutants of Agrobacterium tumefaciens type II NADH dehydrogenaseC Desplats
CEA, Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut de Biologie Environnementale et de Biotechnologie, Laboratoire de Bioénergétique et Biotechnologie des Bactéries et Microalgues, CEA Cadarache, Saint Paul lez Durance F 13108, France
FEBS Lett 581:4017-22. 2007..The biotechnological interest of expressing such modified enzymes in photosynthetic organisms is discussed...
- Large-scale deletion and point mutations of the nuclear NDUFV1 and NDUFS1 genes in mitochondrial complex I deficiencyP Benit
INSERM U393, Service de Genetique, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 75015 Paris, France
Am J Hum Genet 68:1344-52. 2001..These results suggest that screening for complex I nuclear gene mutations is of particular interest in patients with complex I deficiency, even when normal respiratory-chain-enzyme activities in cultured fibroblasts are observed...
- New therapeutics for the treatment of Acinetobactor baumannii infections.ALLEN BERNARD REITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have identified the target of these compounds to be type 1 NADH dehydrogenase (NDH-1). In this grant, we at the Fox Chase Chemical Diversity Center, Inc...
- Function of mRNA Editing in TrypanosomesStephen L Hajduk; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have recently expanded the analysis of alternative mRNA editing to four additional genes, NADH dehydrogenase subunits 7, 8, 9 (ND7, 8, 9) and ATP synthase subunit 6 (A6)...
- Tumorigenic role of mitochondria in African-American womenKeshav K Singh; Fiscal Year: 2011..Studies show the 10398 G to A (G10398A) base substitution in the mtDNA-encoded ND3 gene (NADH dehydrogenase 3) subunit of complex I increases the risk of invasive breast cancer in African-American women (Canter et al ..
- Transgenic Mitomice Models for Treatment of Blinding DiseasesJohn Guy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our Specific Aims logically progress from understanding the consequences of mutant NADH dehydrogenase subunit ND4 in mice to developing additional transgenic lines expressing the two other mutant human complex ..
- MOLECULAR REMEDY OF MITOCHONDRIAL DEFECTSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, delivery of the yeast alternative NADH dehydrogenase gene (NDI1) into the rat brain restored the vision to normal level with concomitant reorganization of the ..
- Cardiolipin Function in Mitochondrial Electron-Transfer ComplexesNeal C Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2011..and function of three mitochondrial electron transport complexes: cytochrome c oxidase, cytochrome bc1, and NADH dehydrogenase (Complex I). Our understanding of CL's role within each complex is at different stages...
- Improving Rate/Quality Limitations in Membrane Protein Structure DeterminationWilliam A Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2010..2;(ii) non-ABC: twin-arginine translocase;Kdp-ATPase;NADH dehydrogenase. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Integral membrane proteins control all traffic between cell compartments, assembly ..
- Theoretical and computational study of electron transport and redox-driven protonAlexei A Stuchebrukhov; Fiscal Year: 2013The goal of this computational project is to advance understanding of the molecular mechanism of NADH dehydrogenase (Complex I) - an enzyme which is the entry point of the electron transport chain in the respiratory system of aerobic ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL IRON-SULFUR PROTEINSMichael Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1991..accomplished by investigations of the membrane-bound enzymes of the mitochondrial electron transport chain, NADH dehydrogenase, succinate dehydrogenase, electron transport flavoprotein dehydrogenase and the Rieske center as well as the ..
- Regulation of mitochondrial respiratory complex IYidong Bai; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The mammalian NADH dehydrogenase (complex I), which is under dual genetic control, nuclear and mitochondrial, plays a central role in oxidative phosphorylation...
- Regulation of RNA Editing in LeishmaniaDMITRI MASLOV; Fiscal Year: 2007..hypothesis is based on our early observation that RNA editing for some components of respiratory Complex I (NADH dehydrogenase) is dispensable in promastigotes of Leishmania tarentolae (equivalent to insect stage) suggesting that these ..
- INH-induced lysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosisWilliam Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2003..multi-disciplinary approach to study novel resistance mechanisms, including one that is caused by defects in NADH dehydrogenase. We will also focus on defining the molecular events that lead to mycobacterial cell lysis by comparing and ..
- ACTIVE SITE OF NAD(H) DEPENDENT ENZYMESShiuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 1990..we propose to investigate the active site of two NAD(H) dependent enzymes, bovine heart mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase, and NADH-NAD+ transhydrogenase by affinity labeling techniques...
- Mouse Modeling of Leigh Disease and Complex I AssemblyCarl Pinkert; Fiscal Year: 2007..Various mutations in the NADH dehydrogenase-ubiquinone-FeS 4 (NDUFS4) gene have been associated with decreased Complex I activity in mitochondrial ..
- COMPLEX I DYSFUNCTION IN LEBER'S OPTIC ATROPHYMichael Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000..P. denitrificans contains a NADH dehydrogenase which is remarkably similar to its mammalian counterpart and E...
- Zinc Regulation & Toxicity in Cellular Energy MetabolismAbraham Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..4) Redox balance and other Zn++ -induced changes discovered and characterized in liver mitochondria in Aims 2 and 3 will be confirmed in rat brain mitochondria. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MITOCHONDRIA AND PULMONARY ENDOTHELIAL CELL DEATHJames Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have established that mitochondrial respiratory complexes I (NADH dehydrogenase) and Ill (cytochrome c reductase) are primary locations of irreversible inhibition by RNS and that complex ..
- STUDY OF THE C REINHARDTII MITOCHONDRIAL GENOMEDin Pow Ma; Fiscal Year: 1991..been sequenced and found to encode cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COI), subunits 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 of the NADH dehydrogenase (NAD1, NAD2, NAD4, NAD5, and NAD6), a reverse transcriptase-like protein (RTL), the small and large ..
- 1999 GORDON CONFERENCE ON BIOENERGETICSWilliam Allison; Fiscal Year: 1999..In the 1999 conference, the use of genetic engineering to bypass a genetic defect in the NADH dehydrogenase in a mammalian cell culture line will be highlighted in the session on complex I...
- MEMBRANE-ASSOCIATED FUNCTIONS IN MICROORGANISMSMORTON WEBER; Fiscal Year: 1980..phlei. The NADH dehydrogenase will be purified, characterized, and the role of the above mentioned factors, as well as the effector NAD ..
- MOLECULAR REMEDY OF MITOCHONDRIAL DEFECTSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Baker's yeast mitochondria lack complex I but contain instead a single-subunit NADH dehydrogenase (Ndi1)...
- NADH-UBIQUINONE REDUCTASE OF PARACOCCUS DENITRIFICANSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2011..Defects of mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase cause many human diseases including sporadic Parkinson's disease...
- Development of therapies to retard Parkinson's diseaseTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2008..Recent studies showed a link between PD and deficiency of the mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase (complex I)...
- Development of therapies to retard Parkinson's diseaseTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2003..The applicants have shown that the rotenone-insensitive internal NADH dehydrogenase (Ndi 1) of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria restores respiratory function to complex I-deficient ..
- Genetics of Dengue Vector Competence in Aedes aegyptiWilliam Black; Fiscal Year: 2005..DS2 and DR2 will be used in the construction of recombinant inbred lines for use in a subtractive hybridization approach to clone cDNAs putatively encoded bydmib3and to assist in a collaborative effort to positionally clone dmib3. ..
- Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in Skeletal Muscles in AgingYidong Bai; Fiscal Year: 2007..The success of study will help us to gain insights of molecular mechanism of aging and aging-related human degenerative diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in Aging in Neuronal CellsYidong Bai; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful completion of this project will not only help to test the mitochondrial theory of aging, but could also provide insights into the underlying mechanisms of the aging process. ..
- MECHANISM OF RESPIRATION AND ENERGY TRANSDUCTIONBernard Trumpower; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- PROTON & ELECTRON TRANSFER & ENERGY COUPLING IN SITE ITOMOKO NONE OHNISHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using this new strategy, we found that both cluster N2 and flavin can generate superoxide. We will solidify this exciting finding and study its relevance to complex I function under physiological and pathological conditions. ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF VOLATILE ANESTHETICSPhilip G Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding how these anesthetics function may contribute to improvements in design of anesthetics and in the understanding of consciousness. ..
- Muscle protein synthesis and gene expression in myostatin-deficient miceStephen L Welle; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the physiological and molecular effects of reducing myostatin activity in mature muscle will reveal potential benefits and limitations of anti-myostatin therapy. ..
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASESamuel William French; Fiscal Year: 2010..If this approach determines [how] ethanol-induces proteasomal inhibition, then a new mechanism of ethanol-induced liver injury will have been established which could provide a target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- In Vivo EPR Imaging of Myocardial Oxygen ConsumptionGuanglong He; Fiscal Year: 2009..Critical information will be obtained regarding the regulatory role of endothelium-derived NO on myocardial oxygen consumption, redox alterations, and postichemic myocardial injury and protection in cardiac physiology and disease. ..
- The Role of Mitochondrial Genes in HypertensionFaina Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CHANGES IN GENE EXPRESSION IN SENESCENT MUSCLEStephen Welle; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Reduction of Alkylating Quinones and NitroarenesANTONIO ALEGRIA; Fiscal Year: 2003..Undergraduate students will participate in this project, thus improving their qualifications to pursue biomedical research careers. ..
- Gordon Research Conference on the Chemical SensesSusan Travers; Fiscal Year: 2003..The goal of the 2003 Gordon Conference on the Chemical Senses is to vigorously discuss those new, sometimes controversial ideas and to stimulate further, yet more novel hypotheses. ..
- Meeting:Society for Integrative and Comparative BiologyNeil Blackstone; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, this work will allow the power of genomics to be fully realized in biology and medicine. ..
- MOLEC GENETICS OF COMPLEX I IN MAMMALIAN MITOCHONDRIAImmo Scheffler; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such mice promise to become model systems for mitochondrial diseases. 5) Known cDNAs will be tested to identify the defective gene in the other four complementation groups with complex I defects. ..
- Thermodynamic Properties of NADH:Nitrate ReductaseMichael Barber; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will enhance our understanding of important structure-function relationships in NR and other related metalloflavoproteins. ..
- In Vivo Gene Silencing with siRNA After Brain TraumaHELEN HELLMICH; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Somatic Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in Neurons and GliaDavid Simon; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RNA EDITING IN PLANT ORGANELLESMaureen Hanson; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed research should enhance understanding of other forms of RNA processing in the biological world, especially the mechanisms of tRNA, mRNA and rRNA modification and editing. ..
- Anesthetic effects in mitochondrial diseasePhilip Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2008..These translational studies have important implications for patient safety as well as for the understanding the mechanism of action of volatile anesthetics. . [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transmission genetics of mammalian mitochondrial DNAEric Shoubridge; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Wolbachia as an Agent for Population Replacement in Anopheles GambiaeJason Rasgon; Fiscal Year: 2008..We propose to evaluate transfer Wolbachia infection into Anopheles gambiae and evaluate the symbiont as a candidate transgene drive system for malaria control. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interaction of ubiquinone & complex I control longevityPhilip Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Characterize two mutants, seg-1 and seg-2, that suppress the shortened lifespan of gas-1. These results will, for the first time, allow a correlation of the effects of ubiquinone on respiration with those on lifespan. ..
- Acquired Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in the BrainDavid Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will lay the foundation for future studies addressing the role of acquired mtDNA mutations in aging and in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- AUTISM--A MODEL OF ANOMALOUS NEURAL SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENTPauline Filipek; Fiscal Year: 2001....