Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cytoplasmic proteins that specifically bind aldosterone and mediate its cellular effects. The aldosterone-bound receptor acts in the nucleus to regulate the transcription of specific segments of DNA.
Publications213 found, 100 shown here
- Identification and role of aldosterone receptors in the cardiovascular systemM Lombes
INSERM U 478, IFR02, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, 16, rue Henri Huchard, 75870 Paris Cedex 18, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 61:41-6. 2000..Establishment of transgenic mice models of targeted overexpression of the mineralocorticoid receptor should facilitate new insights into the molecular and cellular mechanisms of aldo-sterone actions in the cardiovascular system...
- The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and the kidney: effects on kidney diseaseUrsula C Brewster
Section of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8029, USA
Am J Med 116:263-72. 2004....
- [Significance of aldosterone antagonist therapy]M Christ
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Kardiologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Internist (Berl) 45:347-54. 2004..In conclusion, an old-fashioned, previously abandoned treatment strategy is currently celebrating its revival...
- Eplerenone. PharmaciaDanny Liew
National Health and Medical Research Council, Department of Epidemiology, Monash University Central and Eastern Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 4:316-22. 2003..The compound has been registered for hypertension and Pharmacia plans to submit a supplemental NDA for congestive heart failure in the first half of 2003 based on positive results from a phase III clinical trial...
- Idiopathic primary hyperaldosteronism: normalization of plasma aldosterone after one month withdrawal of long-term therapy with aldosterone-receptor antagonist potassium canrenoateD Armanini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences Endocrinology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:236-40. 2005..These data are consistent with possible regression of idiopathic primary hyperaldosteronism after long-term therapy with potassium canrenoate, or in alternative to a persistent effect of potassium canrenoate, on aldosterone synthesis...
- Mineralocorticoid receptor blocker increases angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 activity in congestive heart failure patientsShlomo Keidar
Lipid Research Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Circ Res 97:946-53. 2005..These effects are mediated, at least in part, by NADPH oxidase...
- Eplerenone, a selective aldosterone blocker, in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarctionBertram Pitt
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1309-21. 2003....
- Aldosterone and specific aldosterone receptor antagonists in hypertension and cardiovascular diseaseEmmanuel L Bravo
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue Desk A51, OH 44195, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 5:122-5. 2003..A better understanding of aldosterone's actions in nonepithelial tissues should pave the way to better protection of organs at risk such as the kidneys, heart, and brain...
- [Novel action of aldosterone in CsA nephrotoxicity]Jazmin M Pérez-Rojas
Unidad de Fisiología Molecular, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico, DF
Rev Invest Clin 57:147-55. 2005..Finally, results from our laboratory and others allow us to suggest that aldosterone receptors blockade with spironolactone or eplerone could be a pharmacological therapy to reduce or prevent acute and ..
- EplerenoneRuth Brown
Decision Resources Intl, 50 51 Russell Square, London, WC1B 4HQ, UK
Nat Rev Drug Discov 2:177-8. 2003
- Do diuretics and aldosterone receptor antagonists improve ventricular remodeling?Bertram Pitt
University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Card Fail 8:S491-3. 2002....
- Route of steroid-activated macromolecules through nuclear pores imaged with atomic force microscopyH Oberleithner
Institute of Physiology, University of Munster, Robert Koch Strasse 27a, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Biochem Soc Trans 31:71-5. 2003..They are most likely to be aldosterone receptors. After a few minutes, they have disappeared. (ii) Large plugs (approx...
- Aldosterone blockade and heart failureMariell Jessup
N Engl J Med 348:1380-2. 2003
- Inhibition of platelet activation in congestive heart failure by aldosterone receptor antagonism and ACE inhibitionAndreas Schafer
Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Wurzburg, Germany
Thromb Haemost 89:1024-30. 2003..Increased nitric oxide bioavailability can only partially explain the reduced platelet activation by eplerenone and ACE inhibition...
- Transgenic model of aldosterone-driven cardiac hypertrophy and heart failureWenning Qin
Department of Genomics Sciences, Pfizer, Inc, St Louis, MO 63167, USA
Circ Res 93:69-76. 2003..In addition, these data support the hypothesis that aldosterone blockade may provide additional therapeutic benefit in the treatment of heart failure...
- Eplerenone prevents salt-induced vascular remodeling and cardiac fibrosis in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsDierk H Endemann
CIHR Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Canada
Hypertension 43:1252-7. 2004..These effects were attenuated by eplerenone, particularly in the salt-loaded state, underlining the pathophysiological role of aldosterone in salt-sensitive hypertension...
- Aldosterone and aldosterone antagonism in systemic hypertensionWilliam H Frishman
Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Munger Pavilion 263, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 6:195-200. 2004..Hyperkalemia remains a potential problem with all aldosterone antagonists...
- The evolution of aldosterone antagonistsSusan M Garthwaite
Pfizer Incorporated, Global Project Management, Skokie, IL, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 217:27-31. 2004..Recent clinical results have demonstrated that these improvements translate into tolerability and efficacy in patients with cardiovascular disease...
- The use of aldosterone receptor blockers in the treatment of hypertensionMyron H Weinberger
Indiana University School of Medicine, 541 Clinical Drive, Room 423, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 6:632-5. 2004..This review will highlight the major findings from these studies...
- Aldosterone receptor blockade and the role of eplerenone: evolving perspectivesMurray Epstein
Nephrology Section, VA Medical Center, 1201 NW 16th Street, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:1984-92. 2003
- Aldosterone receptor antagonists for hypertension: what do they offer?Danny Liew
NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Therapeutics, Department of Medicine, Monash University Central and Eastern Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Drugs 63:1963-72. 2003..Perhaps most notably, eplerenone was generally well tolerated, and did not cause the antiandrogenic and progestational adverse effects commonly observed with spironolactone...
- Aldosterone receptor blockade prevents the transition to cardiac pump dysfunction induced by beta-adrenoreceptor activationDemetri G A Veliotes
Cardiovascular Pathophysiology and Genomics Research Unit, School of Physiology, University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, Johannesburg, South Africa
Hypertension 45:914-20. 2005....
- Effect of combined AT1 receptor and aldosterone receptor antagonism on plasminogen activator inhibitor-1Pairunyar Sawathiparnich
Divisions of Clinical Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6602, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3867-73. 2003..2 ng/ml (9.8, 28.6), P = 0.974 vs. baseline, P < 0.05 vs. candesartan, spironolactone or furosemide alone]. This study evidences an interactive effect of endogenous Ang II and aldosterone on PAI-1 production in humans...
- Aldosterone receptor antagonists: biology and novel therapeutic applicationsPaolo Magni
Istituto di Endocrinologia, University of Milan, via G Balzaretti, 9, 20133 Milano, Italy
Curr Hypertens Rep 7:206-11. 2005..Thus, the addition of ARAs to the conventional therapy appears beneficial, leading to an improved survival rate and a reduced incidence of cardiac complications...
- Aldosterone and heart failure: the rest of the storyGordon H Williams
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Heart Fail Rev 10:5-6. 2005
- The pharmacological treatment of primary aldosteronismSalim Janmohamed
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Free Hospital, London, NW3 2QG, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:563-73. 2006....
- Aldosterone receptor antagonists induce favorable cardiac remodeling in diastolic heart failure patientsArturo Orea-Tejeda
Heart Failure Clinic, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City
Rev Invest Clin 59:103-7. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the changes in structure and function of the left ventricle in symptomatic (NYHA I-III) diastolic heart failure patients receiving an aldosterone receptor antagonist...
- Aldosterone receptor antagonism alleviates proteinuria, but not malignant hypertension, in Cyp1a1-Ren2 transgenic ratsRudy M Ortiz
Department of Physiology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1584-91. 2007....
- Does eplerenone have a future in the management of hypertension in Europe?P Gosse
Cardiologie Hypertension Artérielle, Hypertension Unit Hôpital Saint André, Bordeaux University, 1 rue Jean Burguet, CHU Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
J Hum Hypertens 20:829-32. 2006
- Efficacy of add-on aldosterone receptor blocker in uncontrolled hypertensionYehonatan Sharabi
Hypertension Unit and Internal Medicine D, Chaim Sheba Medical affiliated to the Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer
Am J Hypertens 19:750-5. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of this approach and to characterize those who respond effectively to an add-on aldosterone antagonist...
- Acute aldosterone infusion enhances thrombosis development in normotensive ratsAdrian Stankiewicz
Thromb Haemost 98:697-9. 2007
- Aldosterone antagonists in congestive heart failureJudith Soberman
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Dobbs Research Institute, Memphis 38163, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 3:1024-8. 2002..This review will discuss the role of aldosterone in the pathophysiology of CHF, with an emphasis on both known and potential therapeutic benefits of aldosterone antagonism...
- Contribution of endothelin-1 to renal activator protein-1 activation and macrophage infiltration in aldosterone-induced hypertensionRita C A Tostes
Department of Pharmacology, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Univeridade de Sao Paulo, Av Lineu Prestes 1524, Sao Paulo 05508 900, Brazil
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:25S-30S. 2002..These processes were attenuated by BMS 182874. Our findings suggest that renal damage in aldosterone-dependent hypertension is associated with inflammatory processes that are mediated in part via ET-1...
- Spironolactone improves angiotensin-induced vascular changes and oxidative stressAgostino Virdis
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hypertension 40:504-10. 2002..Our findings suggest that aldosterone may mediate some of angiotensin II-induced vascular effects in hypertension, in part via increased oxidative stress...
- Effect of long-term monotherapy with the aldosterone receptor blocker eplerenone on cytoskeletal proteins and matrix metalloproteinases in dogs with heart failureSharad Rastogi
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 21:415-22. 2007....
- [Aldosterone receptor blockade after acute myocardial infarction with heart failure]Johann Bauersachs
Medizinische Klinik I, Universitatsklinikum, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg
Med Klin (Munich) 101:458-66. 2006..This indication was recently reinforced by the guideline for chronic heart failure therapy of the German Cardiac Society, although there is no formal approval for spironolactone for this indication in Germany...
- The antagonism of aldosterone receptor prevents the development of hypertensive heart failure induced by chronic inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis in ratsOsamu Tsukamoto
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 20:93-102. 2006..2 +/- 0.1), and LVEDP (6.2 +/- 0.7 mmHg). These results suggest that chronic inhibition of NO synthesis induces cardiac inflammation and dysfunction via an aldosterone receptor-dependent mechanism...
- Increased carotid wall elastic modulus and fibronectin in aldosterone-salt-treated rats: effects of eplerenonePatrick Lacolley
INSERM EMI U0107, Paris, France
Circulation 106:2848-53. 2002..Our aim was to determine the effects of Aldo and the Aldo receptor antagonist eplerenone (Epl) on in vivo mechanical properties of the carotid artery using echo-tracking system...
- Triple pharmacological blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in nondiabetic CKD: an open-label crossover randomized controlled trialLeszek Tylicki
Department of Nephrology Transplantology and Internal Medicine, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Am J Kidney Dis 52:486-93. 2008....
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of aldosterone antagonists for postmyocardial infarction heart failureC McKenna
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:1-162. 2010..Recent clinical guidelines recommend eplerenone after an acute myocardial infarction (MI) for patients with symptoms and/or signs of HF and left ventricular dysfunction...
- Update of diuretics in the treatment of hypertensionMaría Cristina Armas Padilla
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Hypertension Clinic, School of Medicine, Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado, Barquisimeto, Estado Lara, Venezuela
Am J Ther 14:154-60. 2007..However, longer-acting diuretics provide better 24-hour control of blood pressure and increase compliance and adherence to the treatment regimen...
- Antagonism of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and collagen metabolism in cardiac fibroblastsP Lijnen
Department of Molecular and Cardiovascular Research, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leuven, Belgium
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 21:215-27. 1999..Functional angiotensin II receptors have been documented in cardiac fibroblasts although the presence of aldosterone receptors in cardiac fibroblasts is obscure, and the expression of mRNA for mineralocorticoid receptors in cardiac ..
- [Does the rennin inhibitor aliskiren offer promising novel opportunities in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases?]K Horky
II interní klinika kardiologie a angiologie 1 lékarské fakulty UK a VFN Praha
Vnitr Lek 53:364-70. 2007....
- Aldosterone modulates plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and glomerulosclerosis in vivoN J Brown
Departments of Medicine and Pharmacology, Pathology, and Radiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Kidney Int 58:1219-27. 2000....
- Aldosterone and myocardial fibrosis in heart failureC G Brilla
Division of Cardiology, Philipps University of Marburg, Germany
Herz 25:299-306. 2000..These cardioprotective effects of spironolactone may explain the prognostic value of anti-aldosterone therapy in patients with severe chronic heart failure evaluated in the RALES mortality trial...
- Effect of spironolactone on cardiac sympathetic nerve activity and left ventricular remodeling in patients with dilated cardiomyopathyShu Kasama
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, 3 39 15 Showa Machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 0034, Japan
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:574-81. 2003..We sought to evaluate the effects of spironolactone on cardiac sympathetic nerve activity and left ventricular (LV) remodeling in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM)...
- Urinary kallikrein and blood pressure--gender-different response to potassium supplementation in SHR. Role of aldosteroneElisabeth M Oddo
Instituto de Investigaciones Medicas Alfredo Lanari, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nephron Physiol 108:p37-45. 2008..To test whether blood pressure is affected by potassium supplementation which modifies urinary kallikrein (UK) in SHR of either sex, and to elucidate the mechanisms involved...
- Combination therapy with telmisartan and spironolactone alleviates L-NAME exacerbated nephrosclerosis with an increase in PPAR-gamma and decrease in TGF-beta(1)Toshiaki Takahashi
Department of Hypertension and Cardiorenal Disease, Dokkyo Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
Int Heart J 48:637-47. 2007To investigate whether the receptor blockades of angiotensin II type 1 and aldosterone receptors can prevent renal tissue injury in relation to the renal tissue mRNA levels of peroxisome proliferation-activated receptors-gamma (PPAR-..
- Stimulation of 11-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in rat colon but not in kidney by low dietary NaCl intakeRikke Nørregaard
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Winsloewparken 21, 3 DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 285:F348-58. 2003..These data indicate that mineralocorticoid selectivity is physiologically regulated by NaCl intake at the level of 11betaHSD-2 expression and tissue distribution in the distal colon, but not in the kidney...
- Spironolactone prevents cardiac collagen proliferation after myocardial infarction in ratsJose Geraldo Mill
Departament of Physiological Sciences, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Vitoria, Brazil
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 30:739-44. 2003..Control of postinfarction hypertrophy and collagen accumulation produced by losartan seems to depend on the reduction in loading conditions of the heart chambers...
- Effects of enalapril, tempol, and eplerenone on salt-induced hypertension in dahl salt-sensitive ratsMohamed A Bayorh
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310 1495, USA
Clin Exp Hypertens 28:121-32. 2006..The findings from this study suggest that eplerenone reduces salt-induced hypertension by increasing endothelium-derived relaxing factors, inhibiting RAAS components and oxidative stress. (353words)...
- Effect of spironolactone and captopril on nitric oxide and S-nitrosothiol formation in kidney of L-NAME-treated ratsO Pechanova
Institute of Normal and Pathological Physiology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Kidney Int 70:170-6. 2006..Both NO itself and S-nitrosothiols may contribute to the preventive effect of spironolactone against development of L-NAME-induced hypertension...
- The future of antihypertensive treatmentZafar H Israili
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Am J Ther 14:121-34. 2007..Treatment of human hypertension with vaccines is feasible but is not likely to be available in the near future...
- Mechanisms of impaired potassium handling with dual renin-angiotensin-aldosterone blockade in chronic kidney diseaseRichard A Preston
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Hypertension 53:754-60. 2009....
- Aldosterone and aldosterone antagonism in cardiovascular disease: focus on eplerenone (Inspra)Charles T Stier
Department of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Heart Dis 5:102-18. 2003..Eplerenone has already been approved for the treatment of systemic hypertension, and several clinical trials are currently underway to identify other therapeutic uses for this agent in cardiovascular disease management...
- Effect of canrenone and amiloride on the prooxidative effect induced by aldosterone in human mononuclear leukocytes in vitroC Fiore
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Endocrinology, University of Padua, Via Ospedale 105, 35100 Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 32:895-8. 2009..The addition of aldosterone-receptor antagonist canrenone produced a higher inhibition than sodium channel blocker amiloride on the effect of aldosterone on p22phox protein expression...
- Specific region in hormone binding domain is essential for hormone binding and trans-activation by human androgen receptorM V Govindan
Research Centre, Laval University Medical Centre, Quebec, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 4:417-27. 1990..using synthetic oligonucleotides homologous to the human glucocorticoid, estradiol, progesterone, and aldosterone receptors as probes to screen a human testis lambda gt11 cDNA library...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of mineralocorticoid blocking agents and their effects on potassium homeostasisDomenic A Sica
Medicine and Pharmacology, Section of Clinical Pharmacology and Hypertension, Division of Nephrology, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0160, USA
Heart Fail Rev 10:23-9. 2005..Eplerenone is a next generation aldosterone receptor antagonist selective for aldosterone receptors alone...
- Time course of gene expression in rat experimental autoimmune myocarditisHaruo Hanawa
First Department of Internal Medicine, Niigata University School of Medicine, Asahimachi 1 754, Niigata, 951 8510, Japan
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:623-32. 2002..RAA system and ET expressions are changed differently during the EAM time course. Cytokine, chemokine and extracellular matrix greatly increase and, in particular, large numbers of osteopontin mRNA are expressed in early EAM...
- 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in human vascular cellsH Hatakeyama
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Fukui Medical University, Fukui, and KKR Hokuriku Hospital, Kanazawa, Japan
Kidney Int 57:1352-7. 2000..These results show that vascular 11betaHSD activity could influence blood pressure without invoking renal sodium retention...
- Eplerenone: a new aldosterone receptor antagonist--are the FDAs restrictions appropriate?D A Sica
Section of Clinical Pharmacology and Hypertension, Division of Nephrology, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 4:441-5. 2002..Time and additional clinical experience with eplerenone will establish its safety profile and determine if the original label for this compound was correct...
- Aldosterone inhibition and cardiovascular protection: more important than it once appearedFelipe A Martinez
DAMIC Rusculleda Foundation, National University of Cordoba, Av Colon 2057, Cordoba, Argentina
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 24:345-50. 2010..All of the above results are very interesting, show an optimistic future and are consolidating and enlarging the spectrum of aldosterone blockade in cardiovascular disorders every day...
- Beneficial neurohormonal profile of spironolactone in severe congestive heart failure: results from the RALES neurohormonal substudyMichel F Rousseau
Division of Cardiology, University of Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate 10 2800, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:1596-601. 2002..We sought to evaluate the effects of spironolactone on neurohormonal factors in patients with severe congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- [Effect of spironolactone on L-arginine/iNOS/NO pathway of aortic adventitia in spontaneously hypertensive rats]Ci Ni Deng
Department of Cardiovascular First Hospital of Wuhan, Wuhan 430022, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 90:424-6. 2010..The role of aldosterone in L-arginine (L-Arg)/iNOS/NO pathway of aortic adventitia is uncertain. We investigated the effect of aldosterone antagonist spironolactone on adventitial L-Arg/iNOS/NO pathway in SHRs...
- Aldosterone antagonists in the treatment of hypertension and target organ damageS Rajagopalan
Division of Cardiology, L3119, Women s Hospital, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0273, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 3:240-8. 2001..The evolution of selective aldosterone receptor antagonists will help us understand the role that mineralocorticoids play in the pathogenesis of hypertension, heart failure, and atherosclerosis...
- Spontaneous, L-arginine-induced and spironolactone-induced regression of protein remodeling of the left ventricle in L-NAME-induced hypertensionF Simko
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Comenius UniversityBratislava, Slovak Republic
Physiol Res 56:S55-62. 2007..The persistence of the increased protein concentration in the spironolactone group may be related to the more prominent reduction of myocardial water content by spironolactone...
- The spironolactone renaissanceS A Doggrell
Doggrell Biomedical Communications, 47 Caronia Crescent, Lynfield, Auckland, New Zealand
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 10:943-54. 2001Until recently, spironolactone was considered only as an antagonist at the aldosterone receptors of the epithelial cells of the kidney and was used clinically in the treatment of hyperaldosteronism and, occasionally, as a K(+)-sparing ..
- Aldosterone receptor antagonism induces reverse remodeling when added to angiotensin receptor blockade in chronic heart failureAnna K Y Chan
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:591-6. 2007..The objective of this study was to determine if adding spironolactone to an angiotensin II receptor blocker improves left ventricular (LV) function, mass, and volumes in chronic heart failure...
- Effects of AT1 receptor antagonist and spironolactone on cardiac expression of ET-1 mRNA in SHR-SP/IzmMitsuhide Naruse
Department of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Endocrinology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S1-3. 2004..Coadministration of angiotensin receptor blocker with low-dose spironolactone is recommended for further cardioprotection via suppression of endothelin-1 expression...
- Diagnostic algorithm and therapeutic options in chronic heart failure: updated review of clinical practice guidelinesGrzegorz Gajos
Department of Coronary Artery Diseases, Institute of Cardiology, Collegium Medicum, Jagiellonian University, John Paul the 2nd Hospital, Krakow, Poland
Pol Arch Med Wewn 118:489-500. 2008..The paper also focuses on diagnostic problems and treatment modalities for heart failure with a preserved systolic function of the left ventricle...
- Baseline characteristics of patients recruited in the AREA IN-CHF study (Antiremodelling Effect of Aldosterone Receptors Blockade with Canrenone in Mild Chronic Heart Failure)Alessandro Boccanelli
Department of Cardiology, San Giovanni Addolorata Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 8:683-91. 2007..AREA IN-CHF was planned to investigate the effects of canrenone on progression of LV remodelling in mild HF...
- [Effects of various diuretics on cardiac function in rats with heart failure]Hiroko Tanaka
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Niigata University of Pharmacy and Applied Life Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 129:871-9. 2009..Our results indicate that torasemide and spironolactone treatment significantly improved cardiac function and LV remodeling compared with furosemide treatment...
- Some considerations about evolution of idiopathic primary aldosteronismD Armanini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Endocrinology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 32:623-5. 2009..This effect is also evident after longterm treatment with aldosterone receptors blockers and therefore it possible that aldosterone-receptors blockers are able to normalize the ..
- Regulatory effects of salt diet on renal renin-angiotensin-aldosterone, and kallikrein-kinin systemsUte Hettinger
Department of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 366, 69 120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int Immunopharmacol 2:1975-80. 2002..In contrast to the general belief, our data support the opinion that low-salt diet is able to mediate an increase in blood pressure, as the RAAS is stimulated in response to a marked salt deficiency...
- Aldosterone antagonists in the treatment of heart failureTodd R Marcy
University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:49-58. 2006..The clinical benefits, adverse effects, pharmacokinetics, and recommendations for the appropriate use of the aldosterone antagonists spironolactone and eplerenone in patients with heart failure are reviewed...
- Aldosterone and amiloride alter ENaC abundance in vascular endotheliumKristina Kusche-Vihrog
Institute of Animal Physiology, University of Muenster, Hindenburgplatz 55, 48143 Muenster, Germany
Pflugers Arch 455:849-57. 2008..This opens new perspectives in the regulation of ENaC expressed in the vascular endothelium...
- Aldosterone upregulates vascular endothelial growth factor expression in mouse cortical collecting duct epithelial cells through classic mineralocorticoid receptorLingyun Lai
Division of Nephrology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, PR China
Life Sci 81:570-6. 2007..This finding provides experimental evidence for the local non-hemodynamic action of aldosterone...
- Diminished renal kallikrein responses to mineralocorticoid stimulation in African Americans: determinants of an intermediate phenotype for hypertensionCaroline M Wong
Department of Medicine and Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California, San Diego 92161, USA
Am J Hypertens 16:281-9. 2003..We, therefore, tested whether short-term indirect (K(+)) or direct (fludrocortisone) stimulation of mineralocorticoid activity might be capable of restoring kallikrein excretion in African Americans...
- [Heart failure. Current pharmacologic treatment]I Coma-Canella
Departamento de Cardiologia y Cirugia Cardiovascular, Clinica Universitaria, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona
Rev Med Univ Navarra 49:41-7. 2005..It falls to 22% when an ACEI is added, to 14% when a BB is added and to 10% when an aldosterone antagonist is added. ARB can be given instead of an ACEI or be added to the other drugs...
- Anti-remodelling effect of canrenone in patients with mild chronic heart failure (AREA IN-CHF study): final resultsAlessandro Boccanelli
Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, San Giovanni Addolorata Hospital, Roma, Italy
Eur J Heart Fail 11:68-76. 2009..Aldosterone receptor antagonists improve outcome in severe HF, but no information is available in NYHA class II...
- Aldosterone synthase promoter polymorphism predicts outcome in African Americans with heart failure: results from the A-HeFT TrialDennis M McNamara
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:1277-82. 2006..We sought to evaluate the effect of the aldosterone synthase promoter polymorphism on heart failure outcomes for subjects in the African American Heart Failure Trial (A-HeFT)...
- Effects of additive therapy with spironolactone on proteinuria in diabetic patients already on ACE inhibitor or ARB therapy: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover trialMohammad G Saklayen
VA Medical Center, Dayton, OH 45428, USA
J Investig Med 56:714-9. 2008..Aldosterone seems to have deleterious effects on the kidneys. Many animal studies and a few clinical trials have shown that suppression of aldosteroneby aldosterone receptor blockers ameliorates these effects...
- Fenofibrate inhibits aldosterone-induced apoptosis in adult rat ventricular myocytes via stress-activated kinase-dependent mechanismsDeepa S De Silva
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H1983-93. 2009..Fenofibrate mediates beneficial effects in cardiac remodeling by inhibiting programmed cell death and the stress-activated kinases...
- Effect of eplerenone, enalapril and their combination treatment on diabetic nephropathy in type II diabetic ratsYoung Sun Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Ansan Hospital, Ansan City, Kyungki do, Korea
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:73-84. 2009..To further explore the molecular mechanism of action of combination therapy, we also performed in vitro study...
- Aldosterone plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of thrombotic microangiopathy in SHRSPPraveen N Chander
Departments of Pathology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:1990-7. 2003..These results demonstrate a pivotal role for aldosterone in the development of thrombotic microangiopathy, independent of hypertension...
- Effects of spironolactone in an experimental model of chronic cyclosporine nephrotoxicityB Macunluoglu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Nephrology, Marmara University Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
Transplant Proc 40:273-8. 2008....
- Spironolactone reduced arrhythmia and maintained magnesium homeostasis in patients with congestive heart failureXiuren Gao
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
J Card Fail 13:170-7. 2007..We determined whether the aldosterone receptor antagonist spironolactone improved magnesium homeostasis and reduced arrhythmias in patients with CHF...
- Electropharmacological effects of a spironolactone derivative, potassium canrenoate, assessed in the halothane-anesthetized canine modelAtsushi Sugiyama
Department of Pharmacology, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, Tamaho cho, Nakakoma gun, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 96:436-43. 2004....
- Effects of spironolactone on heart rate variability and left ventricular systolic function in severe ischemic heart failureM E Korkmaz
Baskent University, School of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Cardiol 86:649-53. 2000Recent data show that blockade of aldosterone receptors by spironoloctone reduces the risk of morbidity and death among patients with severe heart failure...
- Impact of aldosterone receptor blockade on the deleterious cardiac effects of adrenergic activation in hypertensive ratsDemetri G A Veliotes
Cardiovascular Pathophysiology and Genomics Research Unit, School of Physiology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56:203-11. 2010..Hence, aldosterone receptor blockade may be sufficient to prevent those adverse effects of beta-adrenoreceptor activation responsible for the transition from concentric cardiac hypertrophy to pump dysfunction in hypertension...
- [Diuretic therapy in heart failure]G Splendiani
Dipartimento di Nefrologia e Dialisi, Policlinico Tor Vergata, Rome
G Ital Nefrol 23:S74-6. 2006..Diuretic therapy increases urine volume, ion loss (except Na+, K+), and modifies diffusion (dilute urine) and convection mechanisms (reduced tubular absorption). Therefore, diuretics are very useful non-dangerous drugs...
- New therapeutic options in patients prone to hypertension: a focus on direct Renin inhibition and aldosterone blockadeJan Basile
Primary Care Service Line, Ralph H Johnson VA Medical Center, Charleston, South Carolina 29403, USA
Am J Med Sci 337:438-44. 2009....
- Aldosterone receptor antagonism in heart failureDouglas L Jennings
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1126-33. 2005..Antagonism of aldosterone receptors with spironolactone benefits patients with severe heart failure, and eplerenone benefits those after ..
- [The impact of a new low dose oral contraceptive containing drospirenone on lipid profile, carbohydrate metabolism and hepatic function]Katarzyna Szlendak-Sauer
Klinika Endokrynologii Ginekologicznej Warszawski Uniwersytet Medyczny
Ginekol Pol 80:99-102. 2009..Drospirenone is a unique progestin that blocks the aldosterone receptor, demonstrates antiandrogenic activity and potentially decreases the risk of CVD...
- Aldosterone-receptor antagonism and end-stage renal diseaseNiall McLaughlin
Division of Nephrology, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Box 980160, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 6:327-30. 2004..Eplerenone has not been studied in ESRD in a therapeutic or safety capacity. Additional studies are needed with these compounds in the ESRD population before their use can be considered safe...
- New developments in the diagnosis and management of resistant hypertensionA Oliveras
Hypertension Unit, Department of Nephrology, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Med Chem 19:1210-8. 2012....
- Activities of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2 in different regions of the intestinal tract of pigsR Claus
FG Tierhaltung und Leistungsphysiologie, Institut für Tierhaltung und Tierzüchtung, Universitat Hohenheim, Garbenstrasse 17, D 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 109:374-7. 2001..32 pmol x min(- 1) x mg protein(- 1)). In the colon the activity was 10-fold higher than in jejunum and 3-fold higher compared to ileum. The activities did not differ significantly between the colon transversum and colon descendens...
- The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and vascular remodelingYao Sun
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Congest Heart Fail 8:11-6. 2002..Both angiotensin II and aldosterone receptor antagonists have been shown to attenuate the appearance of cardiac and renal fibrosis...
- Differential actions of eplerenone and spironolactone on the protective effect of testosterone against cardiomyocyte apoptosis in vitroJesús Sánchez-Más
Unidad de Insuficiencia Cardiaca, Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, El Palmar, Murcia, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 63:779-87. 2010....
- Angiotensin II-aldosterone interactions on protein synthesis in vascular smooth muscle cellsM E Ullian
Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425
Am J Physiol 264:C1525-31. 1993..In summary, aldosterone-mediated increases in angiotensin II receptor number are associated with enhanced angiotensin II-stimulated protein synthesis...
- Aldosterone and mineralocorticoid receptors in the cardiovascular systemJohn W Funder
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 52:393-400. 2010..These findings on aldosterone action and mineralocorticoid receptor blockade are analyzed in the context of the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease...
- Effect of Spironolactone of Collagen Synthesis in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionZeenat Safdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Safdar's development into an independent clinical investigator. Completion of this project will advance our understanding of some of the mechanisms that underlie disease worsening in PAH. ..
- Mechanisms for Cardiovascular Control Early in DiabetesMichael W Brands; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, we are discovering new physiology on the chronic regulation of sodium balance by insulin in diabetes that will underlie and direct investigations for new treatments. ..
- Management and Outcomes of Heart Failure with Preserved Systolic FunctionAlan S Go; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of BK-alpha/beta 4 in renal secretionSTEVEN SANSOM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such understanding may help prevent the large number of deaths occurring each year from treating heart failure subjects with aldosterone receptor blockers that lead to hyperkalemia-induced ventricular arrhythmias. ..
- CORTICOSTEROID CONTROL OF COLONIC CATION TRANSPORTCHRISTINE BASTL; Fiscal Year: 1990..Defining the role of glucocorticoids in these processes has important therapeutic implications...
- Proteome Mapping of Heart Failure in AgingMARVIN BOLUYT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Identification of proteins involved in aldosterone signaling will lead to the development of new hypotheses for future grant proposals addressing their roles in the development of heart failure in the elderly. ..
- Role of Cardiac Fibrosis in ArrhythmogenesisAmy de Jongh Curry; Fiscal Year: 2006..Should this mechanism(s) be successfully demonstrated, it might be possible to identify the population most at risk, and perhaps protect them. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PREVENTION OF STROKE DYSFUNCTION BY ACE INHIBITIONCHARLES STIER; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Vanderbilt Mentored Clinical Research Scholar ProgramNancy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..The VCRS program will train successful new clinical investigators who will serve as leaders role in the post-genomic era. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PAI-1 and The Vascular Toxicity of AldosteroneNancy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2005..This multi-disciplinary approach will generate new information regarding the role of aldosterone in vascular toxicity and, thus, improve our ability to prevent and treat cardiovascular disease. ..
- RAAS, Inflammation & Post-Operative Atrial FibrillationNancy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Modulation of Left Ventricular RecoveryDennis McNamara; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim 3 will examine other genetic loci which act as modifiers of the cytokine and neurohomonal response, in particular NOS2, NOS3 and aldosterone synthase. ..
- Aldosterone in angiotensin II-induced hypertensionRudy Ortiz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Unlike previous studies, the present study will provide a more comprehensive examination of the renal effects induced by aldo antagonism. ..
- VOLTAGE GATED CARDIAC POTASSIUM CHANNELSKatherine Murray; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Lipoproteins, HIV, and Antiretroviral Therapy in SMARTDaniel Duprez; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal will produce additional information that will enhance their disease-free survival rate. (End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Non-Modulation Phenotype and Vascular Dysfunction in Diabetes MellitusGordon H Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Oxidative Stress and Myocardial Remodeling Following MIYao Sun; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- A Molecular Target for Atrial FibrillationKatherine Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge gained from these studies will improve our understanding of the molecular components of atrial electrophysiology and facilitate the development of novel strategies in the treatment of atrial fibrillation. ..
- Oxidized Linoleic Acid, Aldosterone, and ObesityTHEODORE GOODFRIEND; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC STUDIES OF MINERALOCORTICOID FUNCTIONDavid Geller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Molecular Modulation of Cardiac Na+ Channel FunctionKatherine Murray; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- SCHOLARS IN CLINICAL SCIENCE PROGRAMGordon Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Adrenal decommissioning and hypertensionElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using similar protocols as those in Aim 1, we will study and compare the process of adrenal decommissioning between SHR-SP and regular SHR rats with emphasis of the ZG genes identified as important in Aim 1. ..
- Nitric Oxide and Cardiac Remodeling Following InfarctionYao Sun; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Mechanisms of Aldosterone Induced Cardiovascular DamageGordon Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our results should better define the rationale for the use of mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists to prevent damage to the heart and other tissues when ALDO levels are inappropriate relative to Na intake. ..
- ALDOSTERONE, HYPERTENSION AND THE BRAINElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) Study of the metabolism of aldosterone and corticosterone and the regulation of the synthesis of low polarity derivatives in the brain, including the identification of the sites of formation of aldosterone acyl esters. ..
- Aldosterone, Histone Demethylase and Cardiovascular DiseaseGordon H Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is designed to assess one of those mechanisms thereby providing entrie to developing more directed therapy to treat cardiovascular diseases. ..
- VASCULAR DISEASE IN HBP--ANGII, PAI1, INSULIN AND GENESGordon Williams; Fiscal Year: 2001..With this information, specific preventive and therapeutic measures to retard the development of these complications could be proposed and tested in a clinical trial's format. ..
- Glucocorticoid Effects on Blood Pressure RegulationDavid Geller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Cardiovascular and renal hemodynamics and the DASH dietPaul Conlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..