Genomes and Genes
Summary: A homologous group of endogenous cysteine proteinase inhibitors. Four distinct families are recognized within the cystatin superfamily: cystatin B or stefins; cystatin C or post-gamma-globulin; egg-white or chicken cystatin; and kininogen cystatin. The cystatins inhibit most Cysteine Endopeptidases of the papain type, and other peptidases which have a sulfhydryl group at the active site.
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- Human cystatins in normal and diseased tissues--a reviewM Jarvinen
Department of Pathology, University of Oulu, Finland
Acta Histochem 82:5-18. 1987..quantitative immunochemical methods were used to demonstrate the presence of two cysteine proteinase inhibitors, cystatins A and B, in normal and diseased tissues...
- Plant cystatinsMeriem Benchabane
Departement de Phytologie, CRH INAF, Universite Laval, Quebec QC, Canada G1V 0A6
Biochimie 92:1657-66. 2010Plant cystatins have been the object of intense research since the publication of a first paper reporting their existence more than 20 years ago...
- Serum cystatin C as a new marker for noninvasive estimation of glomerular filtration rate and as a marker for early renal impairmentE Coll
Services of Nephrology, Biochemistry, Statistics, and Nuclear Medicine, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Kidney Dis 36:29-34. 2000....
- A multicomponent, elicitor-inducible cystatin complex in tomato, Solanum lycopersicumCécile Girard
Departement de Phytologie, CRH INAF, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
New Phytol 173:841-51. 2007..The cDNAs of two novel cystatins were isolated, coding for an approx. 11-kDa protein, SlCYS10; and for a 23...
- Cystatin C: an improved estimator of glomerular filtration rate?Omar F Laterza
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Division of Laboratory Medicine, Box 8118, 660 S Euclid Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Chem 48:699-707. 2002..The purpose of this review is to critically review the potential utility of cystatin C (CysC), especially in patient populations in which CysC may have an advantage over routinely used endogenous markers of GFR...
- Regulation of cathepsins S and L by cystatin F during maturation of dendritic cellsSpela Magister
Jozef Stefan Institute, Department of Biotechnology, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Eur J Cell Biol 91:391-401. 2012....
- Direct mapping of seven genes encoding human type 2 cystatins to a single site located at 20p11.2D P Dickinson
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center 77225
Genomics 24:172-5. 1994The human type 2 cystatins are encoded by a multigene family of eight to nine members. Five functional genes (CST1-CST5) and two pseudogenes (CSTP1 and CSTP2) have previously been cloned...
- Cystatin C and incident peripheral arterial disease events in the elderly: results from the Cardiovascular Health StudyANN M O'HARE
Nephrology Division, Department of Medicine, and General Internal Medicine Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center San Francisco, 4150 Clement Street, San Faancisco, CA 94121, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2666-70. 2005..The association of cystatin C, a novel marker of renal function, with risk for developing complications related to peripheral arterial disease (PAD) has not been examined...
- A hybrid, broad-spectrum inhibitor of Colorado potato beetle aspartate and cysteine digestive proteinasesFrance Brunelle
Departement de Phytologie, CRH INAF, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 60:20-31. 2005..These observations suggest the potential of plant CDIs and cystatins as functional inhibitory modules for the design of effective broad-spectrum, hybrid inhibitors of herbivorous ..
- Microglial cystatin F expression is a sensitive indicator for ongoing demyelination with concurrent remyelinationJianmei Ma
Department of Anatomy, Dalian Medical University, Dalian, Liaoning, China
J Neurosci Res 89:639-49. 2011..These findings demonstrate that the expression of cystatin F indicates the occurrence of ongoing demyelination/remyelination and the absence of cystatin F expression indicates the cessation of remyelination in the demyelinating area...
- Characterization of the entire cystatin gene family in barley and their target cathepsin L-like cysteine-proteases, partners in the hordein mobilization during seed germinationManuel Martinez
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Campus Montegancedo Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, 28223 Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid, Spain
Plant Physiol 151:1531-45. 2009Plant cystatins are inhibitors of cysteine-proteases of the papain C1A and legumain C13 families...
- A comparison between cystatin C, plasma creatinine and the Cockcroft and Gault formula for the estimation of glomerular filtration rateFrans J Hoek
Academic Medical Center, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Room F1 219, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:2024-31. 2003..No data are available, however, on the performance of cys C in follow-up of patients, compared with creatinine. Also, comparisons of cys C with the Cockcroft and Gault (C&G) formula for estimation of GFR are few...
- Cystatin C inhibits amyloid-beta deposition in Alzheimer's disease mouse modelsWeiqian Mi
Nathan S Kline Institute, Orangeburg, New York 10962, USA
Nat Genet 39:1440-2. 2007..Thus, cystatin C has a protective role in Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis, and modulation of cystatin C concentrations may have therapeutic implications for the disease...
- Evaluation of the Dade Behring N Latex Cystatin C assay on the Dade Behring Nephelometer II SystemE J Erlandsen
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Viborg County Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 59:1-8. 1999..The Passing-Bablok regression analysis revealed y = 1.105x - 0.340. In conclusion, the Dade Behring N Latex Cystatin C assay was precise and correlated with the Dako Cystatin C assay...
- 3D domain-swapped human cystatin C with amyloidlike intermolecular beta-sheetsRobert Janowski
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
Proteins 61:570-8. 2005....
- Serum cystatin C as a marker of the renal functionE Randers
Department of Internal Medicine, Viborg County Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 58:585-92. 1998..50, 0.78, and 0.49). In conclusion, cystatin C may be a likewise good marker of the GFR as serum creatinine and creatinine-clearance, cystatin C having the advantage being independent of gender and muscle mass...
- Glomerular filtration rate estimated by cystatin C among different clinical presentationsA D Rule
Division of Nephrology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Kidney Int 69:399-405. 2006..Other factors, possibly inflammation or immunosuppression therapy, affect cystatin C levels. While recognizing this limitation, cystatin C may improve GFR estimates in chronic kidney disease patients...
- Plasma concentrations of cystatin C in patients with coronary heart disease and risk for secondary cardiovascular events: more than simply a marker of glomerular filtration rateWolfgang Koenig
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Ulm Medical Center, Ulm, Germany
Clin Chem 51:321-7. 2005..We evaluated the impact of cystatin C and other markers of RI on prognosis in a large cohort of patients with coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- The crystal structures of two salivary cystatins from the tick Ixodes scapularis and the effect of these inhibitors on the establishment of Borrelia burgdorferi infection in a murine modelMichalis Kotsyfakis
Laboratory of Genomics and Proteomics of Disease Vectors, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Academy of Sciences of Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Mol Microbiol 77:456-70. 2010..This is the first structural analysis of cystatins from an invertebrate source...
- An evolutionary perspective of mammal salivary peptide families: cystatins, histatins, statherin and PRPsPatrícia de Sousa-Pereira
QOPNA, Mass Spectrometry Center, Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Arch Oral Biol 58:451-8. 2013..of histatin, statherin and PRP families restricted to few millions and comprising few species when compared with cystatins, where duplication occurred at more than 650 mya...
- Functional aspects of the human salivary cystatins in the oral environmentA Baron
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Oral Dis 5:234-40. 1999The aim of this study was to investigate the cysteine protease inhibitory properties of the human salivary cystatins S, SA and SN in order to identify potential in vivo target cysteine proteases which may include those involved in ..
- Human cystatin C forms an inactive dimer during intracellular trafficking in transfected CHO cellsG S Merz
New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, New York, NY 10314, USA
J Cell Physiol 173:423-32. 1997..Similarly, its uptake by the cell also leads to its redimerization in the lysosomal pathway...
- Cystatins up-regulate nitric oxide release from interferon-gamma-activated mouse peritoneal macrophagesL Verdot
Laboratoire d Enzymologie et de Chimie des Protéines, Universite Francois Rabelais, F37032 Tours, France
J Biol Chem 271:28077-81. 1996..Upon complexation with saturating amounts of reduced-alkylated papain, cystatins still remained active in increasing NO production, suggesting that the cystatin inhibitory site was not involved ..
- The emerging role of cystatins in Alzheimer's diseaseEva Zerovnik
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular and Structural Biology, Jozef Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Bioessays 31:597-9. 2009Recently opposing effects of cysteine protease inhibitors, the human cystatins, on neurodegeneration have been reported...
- The cystatins: protein inhibitors of cysteine proteinasesV Turk
Department of Biochemistry, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia, Yugoslavia
FEBS Lett 285:213-9. 1991..All three inhibitory families, the stefins, the cystatins and the kininogens, are members of the same superfamily...
- A cathepsin F-like peptidase involved in barley grain protein mobilization, HvPap-1, is modulated by its own propeptide and by cystatinsInes Cambra
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas UPM INIA, Campus Montegancedo, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Autovía M40 Km 38, 28223 Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid, Spain
J Exp Bot 63:4615-29. 2012..In addition, a complex regulation exerted by the barley cystatins, which are cysteine protease inhibitors, and by its own propeptide, is also described.
- Cystatin C and mortality risk in the elderly: the health, aging, and body composition studyMichael G Shlipak
University of San Francisco, General Internal Medicine Section, VA Medical Center 111A1, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:254-61. 2006..39], 0.95 [0.68 to 1.32], 1.11 [0.79 to 1.57], 1.16 [0.86 to 1.58]). Cystatin C is a strong, independent risk factor for mortality in the elderly. Future studies should investigate whether cystatin C has a role in clinical medicine...
- GFR is better estimated by considering both serum cystatin C and creatinine levelsYann Bouvet
Department of Clinical Biology and EA3035, Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse, France
Pediatr Nephrol 21:1299-306. 2006..16))]. This equation was associated with a less biased and more precise estimation than the Schwartz equation. CysC improves the estimation of the GFR in children if considered with other covariates within the mathematical formula...
- An insight into the sialotranscriptome of the seed-feeding bug, Oncopeltus fasciatusIvo M B Francischetti
Section of Vector Biology, Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 12735 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:903-10. 2007..Finally, several novel putative proteins are described with no known function that might affect plant physiology or act as antimicrobials...
- Internalization of exogenous cystatin F supresses cysteine proteases and induces the accumulation of single-chain cathepsin L by multiple mechanismsJeff D Colbert
Division of Cell Signaling and Immunology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 5EH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:42082-90. 2011..However, we found equivalent loss of CatL activity in wild type and cystatin F-null macrophages suggesting that an inhibitory activity other than cystatin F quenches CatL activity in activated macrophages...
- Age-dependent expression of the cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic (Cres) gene in mouse testis and epididymisQing Yuan
Department of Histology and Embryology, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Asian J Androl 9:305-11. 2007..To investigate the spatial and temporal expression of the cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic (Cres) gene in mouse testis and epididymis during postnatal development...
- Transient appearance of CRES protein during spermatogenesis and caput epididymal sperm maturationG A Cornwall
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Science Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 41:37-46. 1995..These observations suggest that the CRES protein performs a specialized role during sperm development and maturation...
- Plasmatic cystatin C for the estimation of glomerular filtration rate in intensive care unitsPierre Delanaye
Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Liege University Hospital, CHU Sart Tilman B35, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Intensive Care Med 30:980-3. 2004..To compare the sensitivity of cystatin C and creatinine in detecting decreased glomerular filtration rate...
- Oryzacystatin I expressed in transgenic potato induces digestive compensation in an insect natural predator via its herbivorous prey feeding on the plantEdith Bouchard
Departement de Biologie, Centre de Recherche en Horticulture, Universite Laval, Cite universitaire Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Mol Ecol 12:2439-46. 2003..In a broader context, this study stresses the need to monitor the inhibitory effects of PI-expressing plants not only on the herbivorous insects targeted, but also on the organisms likely to consume these pests in the environment...
- Cystatin C improves the detection of mild renal dysfunction in older patientsShelagh E O'Riordan
Department of Health Care of the Older Person, East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Canterbury CT1 3NG, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 40:648-55. 2003..In this study we have compared the diagnostic accuracy of a novel test of kidney disease, cystatin C, against these markers in older patients with a range of renal function...
- Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurementEric L Knight
Channing Laboratory, Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 65:1416-21. 2004....
- Serum cystatin C concentration as a marker of acute renal dysfunction in critically ill patientsPatricia Villa
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Crit Care 9:R139-43. 2005..The aim of the present study was to analyze the utility of serum cystatin C as a marker of renal function in these patients...
- Differential in vitro and in vivo effect of barley cysteine and serine protease inhibitors on phytopathogenic microorganismsLaura Carrillo
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas, Campus Montegancedo, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Autovía M40 Km 38, 28223 Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid, Spain
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:1191-200. 2011..In barley, thirteen cystatins (HvCPI-1 to 13) and the BTI-CMe trypsin inhibitor have been previously studied...
- Serum cystatin C--a superior marker of rapidly reduced glomerular filtration after uninephrectomy in kidney donors compared to creatinineS Herget-Rosenthal
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital, Essen, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Clin Nephrol 64:41-6. 2005..Serum creatinine, the conventional GFR marker, has major limitations. We prospectively evaluated whether serum cystatin C detected a rapid GFR decrease earlier and more accurately than serum creatinine...
- Stefin A displaces the occluding loop of cathepsin B only by as much as required to bind to the active site cleftMiha Renko
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Structural Biology, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEBS J 277:4338-45. 2010..Nevertheless, the enzyme also exhibits endopeptidase activity and is inhibited by stefins and cystatins. To clarify the structural properties of the occluding loop upon the binding of stefins, we determined the ..
- Developmentally linked changes in proteases and protease inhibitors suggest a role for potato multicystatin in regulating protein content of potato tubersSarah M Weeda
Postharvest Physiology and Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Washington State University, P O Box 646414, Pullman, WA 99164 6414, USA
Planta 230:73-84. 2009..Collectively, these results are consistent with a role for PMC in facilitating the accumulation of proteins in developing tubers by inhibiting Cys-type proteases...
- Calculation of glomerular filtration rate expressed in mL/min from plasma cystatin C values in mg/LA Larsson
Department of Medical Sciences, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 64:25-30. 2004..These formulas can provide the clinicians with reliable and readily available GFR data based on single measurements of cystatin C concentrations...
- Cystatin F is a cathepsin C-directed protease inhibitor regulated by proteolysisGarth Hamilton
Division of Cell Biology and Immunology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
EMBO J 27:499-508. 2008b>Cystatins are a family of naturally occurring cysteine protease inhibitors, yet the target proteases and biological processes they regulate are poorly understood...
- Measurement of kidney functionLesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Med Clin North Am 89:457-73. 2005..The current recommended method is to use estimating equations based on serum creatinine and which incorporate demographic and clinical variables...
- Salivary (SD-type) cystatins: over one billion years in the making--but to what purpose?D P Dickinson
Medical College of Georgia, School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Biology and Maxillofacial Pathology, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13:485-508. 2002..Four related genes have been identified, CST1, 2, 4 and 5, encoding cystatins SN, SA, S, and D, respectively...
- Adult Colorado potato beetles, Leptinotarsa decemlineata compensate for nutritional stress on oryzacystatin I-transgenic potato plants by hypertrophic behavior and over-production of insensitive proteasesC Cloutier
Departement de Biologie, Centre de Recherche en Horticulture, Universite Laval, Sainte Foy Qc, Canada
Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 44:69-81. 2000..4-2.5 times more OCI rich foliage apparently as a compensatory response for nutritional stress due to the protease inhibitor in their diet...
- Cystatin E is a novel human cysteine proteinase inhibitor with structural resemblance to family 2 cystatinsJ Ni
Human Genome Sciences, Inc, Rockville, Maryland 20850 3338, USA
J Biol Chem 272:10853-8. 1997..amino acids, including four cysteine residues and motifs of importance for the inhibitory activity of Family 2 cystatins like cystatin C. Recombinant cystatin E was produced in a baculovirus expression system and isolated...
- Bm-CPI-2, a cystatin from Brugia malayi nematode parasites, differs from Caenorhabditis elegans cystatins in a specific site mediating inhibition of the antigen-processing enzyme AEPJanice Murray
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, Ashworth Laboratories, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Scotland EH9 3JT, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 139:197-203. 2005..One immune evasion mechanism employed by Brugia is thought to be the release of cysteine protease inhibitors (cystatins), and we have previously shown that the recombinant cystatin Bm-CPI-2 interferes with protease-dependent antigen ..
- Detection of renal function decline in patients with diabetes and normal or elevated GFR by serial measurements of serum cystatin C concentration: results of a 4-year follow-up studyBruce A Perkins
Section on Genetics and Epidemiology, Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1404-12. 2005..35). Serial measures of serum cystatin C accurately detect trends in renal function in patients with normal or elevated GFR and provide means for studying early renal function decline in diabetes...
- Cystatin C modulates cerebral beta-amyloidosisStephan A Kaeser
Department of Cellular Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen, Otfried Muller Strasse 27, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Nat Genet 39:1437-9. 2007..Our results suggest that cystatin C concentrations modulate cerebral amyloidosis risk and provide an opportunity for genetic risk assessment and therapeutic interventions...
- Early detection of acute renal failure by serum cystatin CStefan Herget-Rosenthal
Department of Nephrology, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Kidney Int 66:1115-22. 2004..However, serum creatinine, the standard marker to detect ARF, demonstrates major limitations. We prospectively evaluated whether serum cystatin C detected ARF earlier than serum creatinine...
- Cysteine proteinases and their endogenous inhibitors: target proteins for prognosis, diagnosis and therapy in cancer (review)J Kos
Jozef Stefan Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Oncol Rep 5:1349-61. 1998..important variations in substrate specificity and specificity of inhibition by their endogenous inhibitors, the cystatins, stefins and kininogens under physiological and pathological conditions...
- Cystatins in human tear fluidT Barka
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029
Curr Eye Res 10:25-34. 1991..which include several lysosomal cathepsins are controlled by naturally occurring inhibitory proteins termed cystatins. Cystatins occur both intracellularly and extracellularly in various tissue fluids including tears...
- Lysosomal cysteine proteases in atherosclerosisJian Liu
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, School of Life Science, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, China
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1359-66. 2004....
- Essential role of proline isomerization in stefin B tetramer formationSasa Jenko Kokalj
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Jozef Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Mol Biol 366:1569-79. 2007..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that isomerization of proline residues can play a decisive role in amyloidogenesis...
- Protein composition of whole and parotid saliva in healthy and periodontitis subjects. Determination of cystatins, albumin, amylase and IgAY M Henskens
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Periodontal Res 31:57-65. 1996b>Cystatins are physiological inhibitors of cysteine proteinases and they are widely distributed in human tissues and body fluids including saliva...
- Cystatin C and the risk of death and cardiovascular events among elderly personsMichael G Shlipak
General Internal Medicine Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 352:2049-60. 2005..We compared creatinine and cystatin C levels as predictors of mortality from cardiovascular causes and from all causes in the Cardiovascular Health Study, a cohort study of elderly persons living in the community...
- Phage display selection can differentiate insecticidal activity of soybean cystatinsH Koiwa
Center for Plant Environmental Stress Physiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Plant J 14:371-9. 1998..Two soybean cystatins, soyacystatin N (scN) and soyacystatin L (scL), have 70% sequence identity but scN is a much more potent ..
- Characterization of Solanum tuberosum multicystatin and its structural comparison with other cystatinsMark S Nissen
School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 4660, USA
Plant Cell 21:861-75. 2009..of a representative repeating unit of PMC, PMC-2, showed structural similarity to both type I and type II cystatins. The N-terminal trunk, alpha-helix, and L2 region of PMC-2 were most similar to those of type I cystatins, while ..
- Staphostatins resemble lipocalins, not cystatins in foldMalgorzata Rzychon
International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 02109 Warsaw, Poland
Protein Sci 12:2252-6. 2003..Unexpectedly for a cysteine protease inhibitor, staphostatin B is not significantly similar to cystatins.
- Cystatins of parasitic organismsChristian Klotz
Department of Molecular Parasitology, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 712:208-21. 2011..In this chapter we will focus on I25 family members, which consist predominantly of the type 2 cystatins. Recently, a wealth of information on these molecules and their activities has been described...
- A cystatin C-based formula without anthropometric variables estimates glomerular filtration rate better than creatinine clearance using the Cockcroft-Gault formulaA Grubb
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 65:153-62. 2005..19 x cystatin C(-1.713) x (0.823 for women), an even lower bias and higher accuracy were obtained. It is suggested that measurement of cystatin C should be used for the initial prediction of GFR of a patient...
- Expression of a barley cystatin gene in maize enhances resistance against phytophagous mites by altering their cysteine-proteasesLaura Carrillo
Dpto Biología Medioambiental, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, CSIC, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Plant Cell Rep 30:101-12. 2011..The aim of this study was to assess the effects of barley cystatins on two phytophagous spider mites, Tetranychus urticae and Brevipalpus chilensis...
- Human adaptive immune system Rag2-/-gamma(c)-/- miceLaurie Chicha
Department of Medicine II, Eberhard Karls University Medical School, Otfried Mueller Str 10, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1044:236-43. 2005....
- Accessing the global minimum conformation of stefin A dimer by annealing under partially denaturing conditionsR Jerala
Laboratory for Molecular Modeling and NMR Spectroscopy, National Institute of Chemistry, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Mol Biol 291:1079-89. 1999..The substantial energy barrier which separates the monomer from the more stable dimer traps each state under native conditions...
- Immunomodulatory properties of cystatinsB Vray
Laboratoire d Immunologie Expérimentale, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Cell Mol Life Sci 59:1503-12. 2002b>Cystatins are natural tight-binding reversible inhibitors of cysteine proteases...
- Crystal structure of human cystatin D, a cysteine peptidase inhibitor with restricted inhibition profileMarcia Alvarez-Fernandez
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 280:18221-8. 2005b>Cystatins are natural inhibitors of papain-like (family C1) and legumain-related (family C13) cysteine peptidases. Cystatin D is a type 2 cystatin, a secreted inhibitor found in human saliva and tear fluid...
- Cloning and characterisation of novel cystatins from elapid snake venom glandsRenée Richards
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Biochimie 93:659-68. 2011..One highly conserved isoform, which displayed close sequence identity with family 2 cystatins, was detected in each elapid snake...
- Expression of cystatins, high molecular weight cytokeratin, and proliferation markers in prostatic adenocarcinoma and hyperplasiaTuomas Mirtti
Department of Pathology, University of Turku and Turku Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences TuBS, Finland
Prostate 54:290-8. 2003..Additional means for its diagnosis and prognosis are clearly needed. Previously it has been shown that cystatin A is expressed in the basal cells of normal prostate and the expression disappears in prostatic carcinoma...
- The 2.0 A X-ray crystal structure of chicken egg white cystatin and its possible mode of interaction with cysteine proteinasesW Bode
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried, FRG
EMBO J 7:2593-9. 1988....
- Crystal structure of tarocystatin-papain complex: implications for the inhibition property of group-2 phytocystatinsMing Hung Chu
Department of Life Science and Institute of Plant Biology, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, 10617, Taiwan, ROC
Planta 234:243-54. 2011..On the basis of the structures, the linker flexibility and inhibition activity of tarocystatins, we propose that the overhangs from the cystatin domain may enhance the inhibition ability of the cystatin domain against papain...
- Immunolocalization of human cystatins in neutrophils and lymphocytesM E Davies
Histochemistry 80:373-7. 1984..Cystatin A was also found in some of the parenchymal cells surrounding the blood vessels but, in contrast to the uniform fluorescence of the leucocytes, the staining in the parenchymal cells was granular and rather irregular...
- The regulation of cysteine cathepsins and cystatins in human gliomasBoris Gole
Department of Genetic Toxicology and Cancer Biology, National Institute of Biology, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Int J Cancer 131:1779-89. 2012..in invasive glioblastoma (GBM) cells in vitro, in part due to attenuation of their endogenous inhibitors, the cystatins. To investigate this relationship in vivo, we established U87-MG xenografts in non-obese diabetic (NOD)/severe ..
- Inactivation of human cystatin C and kininogen by human cathepsin DB Lenarcic
Department of Biochemistry, Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia, Yugoslavia
FEBS Lett 280:211-5. 1991..These results further support the proposed role of cathepsin D in the regulation of cysteine proteinase activity...
- Cathepsin D inactivates cysteine proteinase inhibitors, cystatinsB Lenarcic
Department of Biochemistry, J Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 154:765-72. 1988..Inhibition must be the direct result of binding. On the contrary the interaction of cystatins with aspartic proteinase cathepsin D at pH 3...
- Colorado potato beetles show differential digestive compensatory responses to host plants expressing distinct sets of defense proteinsDaniel Rivard
Departement de Phytologie, Centre de Recherche en Horticulture, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 55:114-23. 2004....
- Evaluation of Cystatin C as a marker of renal injury following on-pump and off-pump coronary surgeryYasir Abu-Omar
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:893-8. 2005..We assessed the value of Cystatin C in quantifying clinical and subclinical renal injury following on-pump and off-pump cardiac surgery...
- Human evidence that the cystatin C gene is implicated in focal progression of coronary artery diseasePer Eriksson
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, King Gustaf V Research Institute, Karolinska Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:551-7. 2004....
- Mutations in CSTA, encoding Cystatin A, underlie exfoliative ichthyosis and reveal a role for this protease inhibitor in cell-cell adhesionDiana C Blaydon
Blizard Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Am J Hum Genet 89:564-71. 2011..We show here evidence of a key role for a protease inhibitor in epidermal adhesion within the lower layers of the human epidermis...
- Cystatins, serpins and other families of protease inhibitors in plantsMariateresa Volpicella
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Bari A Moro, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Curr Protein Pept Sci 12:386-98. 2011..In the present article we aim to give an overview of other families of plant PIs, active either against serine proteases or other class of proteases, describing their distribution, activity and main structural characteristics...
- Glycosylation directs targeting and activation of cystatin f from intracellular and extracellular sourcesJeff D Colbert
Division of Cell Biology and Immunology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Traffic 10:425-37. 2009....
- Comparative phylogenetic analysis of cystatin gene families from arabidopsis, rice and barleyManuel Martinez
Departamento de Biotecnología UPM, Laboratorio de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, ETS Ingenieros Agronomos, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040, Madrid, Spain
Mol Genet Genomics 273:423-32. 2005The plant cystatins or phytocystatins comprise a family of specific inhibitors of cysteine proteinases...
- Interactions of human lacrimal and salivary cystatins with adenovirus endopeptidaseA Ruzindana-Umunyana
Departement de Microbiologie et d'Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, J1H 5N4, Sherbrooke, Canada
Antiviral Res 51:203-14. 2001..The objective here was to study the effect of cystatins from human saliva (CS) and tears (CT), two points of viral entry, on adenain, the adenovirus type 2 encoded ..
- Human recombinant pro-dipeptidyl peptidase I (cathepsin C) can be activated by cathepsins L and S but not by autocatalytic processingS W Dahl
Prozymex A S, Dr Neergaards vej 17, DK 2970 Hørsholm, Denmark
Biochemistry 40:1671-8. 2001..5-1.1 nM). The results suggest that cathepsin L could be an important activator of DPPI in vivo and that cathepsin D and possibly the cystatins may contribute to DPPI downregulation.
- Cystatin CDavid J Newman
South West Thames Institute for Renal Research, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 39:89-104. 2002....
- Human cystatin C, an amyloidogenic protein, dimerizes through three-dimensional domain swappingR Janowski
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, 60 780 Poznan, Poland
Nat Struct Biol 8:316-20. 2001..Higher aggregates may arise through the three-dimensional domain-swapping mechanism occurring in an open-ended fashion in which partially unfolded molecules are linked into infinite chains...
- Cystatin C, beta 2-microglobulin, and retinol-binding protein as indicators of glomerular filtration rate: comparison with plasma creatinineC Donadio
Unita di Nefrologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Pisa, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 24:835-42. 2001....
- Exclusion of the native alpha-helix from the amyloid fibrils of a mixed alpha/beta proteinGareth J Morgan
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
J Mol Biol 375:487-98. 2008..Before forming amyloid in vitro, cystatins dimerise via 3D domain swapping, and assemble into tetramers with trans to cis isomerism of a conserved proline...
- Cystatin C as a reliable marker of renal function following heart valve replacement surgery with cardiopulmonary bypassJiaquan Zhu
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Clinical Medicine School of Nanjing University, Nanjing 210002, China
Clin Chim Acta 374:116-21. 2006..Little is known about serum cystatin C as a marker of renal function in cardiac surgery patients. The aim of this study was to assess its utility post cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)...
- Codeposition of cystatin C with amyloid-beta protein in the brain of Alzheimer disease patientsE Levy
Department of Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60:94-104. 2001..It remains to be established whether the association of cystatin C to Abeta plays a primary role in amyloidogenesis of AD or is a late event in which the protein is bound to the previously formed Abeta amyloid fibrils...
- Derivation and validation of cystatin C-based prediction equations for GFR in childrenMichael Zappitelli
Department of Pediatrics, Montreal Children s Hospital, Quebec, H3H 1P3, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 48:221-30. 2006..Few studies derived CysC-based GFR prediction equations for children. Objectives of this study are to: (1) derive CysC-based GFR prediction equations for children, and (2) compare these equations with published formulae...
- Cystatins from filarial parasites: evolution, adaptation and function in the host-parasite relationshipWilliam F Gregory
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, Ashworth Laboratories, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:1389-98. 2008b>Cystatins, together with stefins and kininogens, are members of the cystatin superfamily of cysteine protease inhibitors (CPI) present across the animal and plant kingdoms...
- Genes encoding two cystatins in the flesh fly Sarcophaga crassipalpis and their distinct expression patterns in relation to pupal diapauseShin G Goto
Department of Entomology, Ohio State University, 1735 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Gene 292:121-7. 2002Two genes encoding cystatins, cysteine proteinase inhibitors, were cloned from the flesh fly Sarcophaga crassipalpis...
- Cystatins may confer viral resistance in plants by inhibition of a virus-induced cell death phenomenon in which cysteine proteinases are active: cloning and molecular characterization of a cDNA encoding cysteine-proteinase inhibitor (celostatin) from CeloAshraf Gholizadeh
Division of Biochemistry, Indian Agricultural Research Institute IARI, New Delhi 110012, India
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 42:197-204. 2005b>Cystatins (cysteine proteinase inhibitors) have been recently used in plants as antiviral strategy against those viruses whose replication involves cysteine proteinase activity...
- A Phytophthora infestans cystatin-like protein targets a novel tomato papain-like apoplastic proteaseMiaoying Tian
Department of Plant Pathology, The Ohio State University, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
Plant Physiol 143:364-77. 2007..Altogether, this and earlier studies suggest that interplay between host proteases of diverse catalytic families and pathogen inhibitors is a general defense-counterdefense process in plant-pathogen interactions...
- Two distinct species of corn cystatin in corn kernelsM Abe
Gakushuin Women s Junior College, Tokyo, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 59:756-8. 1995..The dissimilarity in amino acid sequence between CC-I and CC-II was distinct around the N-terminal region. Enzymologically, CC-II protein expressed in Escherichia coli was a stronger inhibitor of cathepsin L than CC-I...
- Inhibitory effects of cystatins on proteolytic activities of the Plum pox potyvirus cysteine proteinasesRui Wen
Pacific Agri Food Research Centre, 4200 Highway 97, Summerland, BC, Canada V0H 1Z0
Virus Res 105:175-82. 2004In an effort to develop new antiviral strategies effective against potyviruses, several cystatins were evaluated for their ability to inhibit the cysteine proteinases of Plum pox potyvirus (PPV) using in vitro proteolytic assays...
- Cystatins and cathepsin B during orthodontic tooth movementSeung Hoon Rhee
Department of Pharmacy, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwan, Korea
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 135:99-105. 2009..b>Cystatins function as an inhibitor of cathepsin B...
- Salivary cystatins induce interleukin-6 expression via cell surface molecules in human gingival fibroblastsTetsuo Kato
Oral Health Science Center, Tokyo Dental College, 1 2 2 Masago, Mihama ku, Chiba 261 8502, Japan
Mol Immunol 39:423-30. 2002Recently, family 2 cystatins have been demonstrated to upregulate interleukin-6 (IL-6) production by human gingival fibroblasts [Biol. Chem. 381 (2000) 1143]...
- Parasite-specific immunomodulatory functions of filarial cystatinPeter Schierack
Department of Molecular Parasitology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Infect Immun 71:2422-9. 2003b>Cystatins of parasitic nematodes are well-described pathogenicity factors which contribute to downregulation of T-cell proliferation of their hosts and induce anti-inflammatory cytokine responses...
- The refined 2.4 A X-ray crystal structure of recombinant human stefin B in complex with the cysteine proteinase papain: a novel type of proteinase inhibitor interactionM T Stubbs
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried bei Munchen, FRG
EMBO J 9:1939-47. 1990..The interaction is dominated by hydrophobic contacts. Inhibition by the cysteine proteinase inhibitors is fundamentally different to that observed for the serine proteinase inhibitors...
- CYSTEINE PROTEASES & INHIBITORS IN NEMATODE DEVELOPMENTSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2005..2. To compare and contrast the developmental regulation and tissue specificity of 0. volvulusand C. elegans cystatins. 3. To determine the substrate specificity of each 0. volvulusand C...
- Modulation of Cystatins and Cathepsins in HIV-1 NeuropathogenesisLoyda M Melendez; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Modulation of cystatins and cathepsins in the neuropathogenesis of HIV-1 infection Cognitive impairment (CI) occurs during advanced HIV-1 infection, despite antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Protein Amyloidogenesis in the Epididymis: Mechanisms and Biological SignificanceGail Cornwall; Fiscal Year: 2013..of amyloid-type protein aggregation and mechanisms for its control in the epididymal lumen using the cystatins as molecular models...
- CYSTEINE PROTEASES & INHIBITORS IN NEMATODE DEVELOPMENTSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2000..2. To compare and contrast the developmental regulation and tissue specificity of O. volvulus and C. elegans cystatins. 3. To determine the substrate specificity of each O. volvulus and C...
- REGULATION OF INDUCIBLE RAT SALIVARY CYSTATINGurrinder Bedi; Fiscal Year: 1990..Family 1 cystatins are found mainly intracellularly and are present as constituative components of many rat tissues...
- CATHEPSIN B IN PROGRESSIVE STAGES OF PROSTATE CANCERAKHOURI SINHA; Fiscal Year: 1999..These data will be evaluated with comparable localization studies of the cystatins (endogenous cysteine protease inhibitors) and a second lysosomal protease, cathepsin D, to better determine when ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF HUMAN SALIVARY CYSTATIN GENESDouglas Dickinson; Fiscal Year: 1991..The type 2 cystatins are a group of cysteine proteinase inhibitors that are major protein constituents of saliva...
- GENETIC POLYMORPHISMS OF SALIVAEdwin Azen; Fiscal Year: 1990..regulate the expression of salivary-type genes coding for proline-rich proteins (PRPs), histatins, statherin and cystatins. These studies would be greatly enhanced by the availability of transformed salivary gland epithelial cell lines...
- GENETIC POLYMORPHISMS OF SALIVAEdwin Azen; Fiscal Year: 1999..regulate the expression of salivary-type genes coding for proline-rich proteins (PRPs), histatins, statherin and cystatins. These studies would be greatly enhanced by the availability of transformed salivary gland epithelial cell lines...
- CHARACTERIZATION OF SALIVA-HIV INTERACTIONSEARL BERGEY; Fiscal Year: 1992..This latter effect may be mediated by phosphorylated salivary cystatins. In addition, we have carried out preliminary experiments to test the effect of HSMSL and HPS in a quantitative ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF A GROWTH REGULATORY FACTORJohn Wang; Fiscal Year: 1992..sequence results indicate that FGR-s (13 K) is homologous to a family of thiol proteinase inhibitors called the Cystatins. The specific objectives of the proposed research are: (1) to identify a cDNA for FGR-s (13 K) and to determine ..
- ROLE OF CYSTATIN M IN BREAST TUMOR PROGRESSIONDaniel Keppler; Fiscal Year: 2001..b>Cystatins such as cystatin M are potent endogenous protein inhibitors of endosomal/lysosomal cysteine proteases...
- CYSTATINS IN MALIGNANT PROGRESSION OF MCF10Bonnie Sloane; Fiscal Year: 1999..Information gained from these studies will be useful for the design of exogenous cysteine protease inhibitors for therapeutic use. ..
- THE CRES GENE IN REPRODUCTIONGail Cornwall; Fiscal Year: 2005..Gene and protein structure studies show that the CRES protein is a new member of the family 2 cystatins of the cystatin superfamily of cysteine protease inhibitors...
- THE CRES GENE IN REPRODUCTIONGail Cornwall; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have established that CRES defines a new subgroup in the family two cystatins of the cystatin superfamily of cysteine protease inhibitors...
- Cathepsin B in Progression of Prostatic Lesion to CancerAKHOURI SINHA; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Role of Cystatins in Oral Cancer MetastasisNadarajah Vigneswaran; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of this project is to understand molecular pathways by which cystatins (Cys) assist OSCC cells in evading immunesurveillance...
- Affinity-based Mass Spectrometry Protein AssaysDobrin Nedelkov; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Development of SPR/MS protein array platformDobrin Nedelkov; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Development of SPR/MS protein array platformDobrin Nedelkov; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Heart Failure Incidence and Progression in Renal DiseaseMichael Shlipak; Fiscal Year: 2008..In persons with established heart failure and CRI, the combination of proBNP, hsCRP, and troponin-T may be optimal for risk stratification and informing long-term prognosis. ..
- Elucidating the Kidney's Role in Cardiovascular RiskMichael Shlipak; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Pinitol a Natural Extract from Pine Cones and Alzheimer's DiseaseGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cognition and Vascular Disease in Dialysis PatientsMark Sarnak; Fiscal Year: 2006..Evaluating the prevalence of, as well as potential risk factors for, cognitive impairment may lead to intervention trials to reduce the burden of cognitive impairment in this patient population. ..
- CYCLOOXYGENASE AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS IN ADGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2001..The outcome of the proposed studies will be immediately relevant to the design of human trials. ..
- Purchase of a Linear Ion Trap/Fourier Transform Mass SpectrometerRobert Cotter; Fiscal Year: 2007..The instrument will be housed in and managed by the Middle Atlantic Mass Spectrometry Laboratory and operated by four individuals representing the Major Users and collaborators. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONFORMATIONAL DISORDERS--AMYLOID AND PRION PROTEINSBlas Frangione; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Cardiac Outcomes Associated with Renal OsteodystrophyBryan Kestenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study aims to shed light on the relationship between a common renal related metabolic disorder and the epidemic burden of CVD found among this patient population. ..
- Predictors of Alzheimers Disease in Mild Cognitive ImpairmentOscar Lopez; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., structural and perfusion MRI, plasma beta-amyloid) and the factors that modify the risk to express the clinical syndrome takes on an added importance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quantifying Left Ventricular Ejection EffectivenessMichael Pinsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of this proposal is to develop and validate an echocardiographic-based algorithm that quantifies LV ejection effectiveness by merging both power and synchrony of contraction into a common metric. ..
- TANDEM TIME-OF-FLIGHT FOR PROTEOMICS ANALYSISRobert Cotter; Fiscal Year: 2005..This technology is expected to bring high performance and tandem capabilities to a simple, compact instrument that can be utilized in proteomics research. ..
- Adiponectin and Cardiovascular Disease in the CKiD ChildrenMark Mitsnefes; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Mineral Metabolism and Cardiovascular Risk among Older AdultsBryan Kestenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2009..Proposed analyses aim to clarify the roles of individual mineral markers with respect to CV health among older adults and to pave the way for future trials that target these markers as a means to improve CV outcomes. ..
- Suppression of Breakthrough Bleeding in LNG-IUS UsersOv Slayden; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposal brings basic scientists and clinicians together for a "bench to bedside" approach that will advance women's health and improve contraceptive technology. ..
- AMYLOID ANGIOPATHY, EARLY PLAQUES & AGINGBlas Frangione; Fiscal Year: 2003..Aim II: to construct, develop and characterize a transgenic mouse model for FBD. ..
- BETAAPP MODULATION BY THE ADAPTER PROTEINS FE65 AND X11Efrat Levy; Fiscal Year: 2003..Manipulating the interaction of Beta-APP with an effector protein, such as X11 or Fe65, may provide a novel approach for the pharmacological modulation of Beta-APP processing in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Lafora's Progressive Myoclonus EpilepsyAntonio Delgado Escueta; Fiscal Year: 2003..3) Search for the second gene (EPM2B) for Lafora's PME. These advances raise our hopes for developing treatment(s) for this fatal epilepsy. ..
- Mechanistic study of flagellin-induced inflammationTonyia Eaves Pyles; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide insights into bacterial and host cells interactions that are critical for establishing disease and will offer new avenues for the development of treatment. ..
- Cell Cycle and COX-2 in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer'sGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CARDIOVASCULAR RISK FACTORS--CHRONIC RENAL INSUFFICIENCYMark Sarnak; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed L training program and research project will prepare him for a career as an independent investigator. ..
- Chronic Kidney Disease with Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaANDREW RULE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Based on preliminary data, a significant association between BPH surrogate measures and CKD is expected. This study will clarify whether earlier assessment and intervention in BPH is warranted to prevent CKD. ..
- COMPLEMENT AND NEUROPROTECTION: ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further characterization of the complex role of complement proteins in neurodegeneration is essential especially in view of the possibility that the complement system represents a target for therapeutic interventions in AD. ..
- ESTROGEN COMPOUNDS, COGNITION & DEMENTIA IN OLDER WOMENKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2002..This award will foster the applicant's development towards becoming an independent investigator in aging research. ..
- CYSTATIN C EFFECT ON B16 MELANOMA METASTASISJames Cox; Fiscal Year: 2001..The overall goal of this project is to elucidate steps by which natural cysteine proteinase inhibitors, the cystatins, may act as antimetastatic agents...
- Metabolic Syndrome and Cognitive ImpairmentKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2005..If elders with metabolic syndrome have increased risk of developing cognitive impairment, this would have important clinical and public health significance. ..
- Animal models for cerebral amyloid angiopathyEfrat Levy; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed animal models are crucial for understanding the etiology of cerebral amyloid angiopathy and hemorrhage and for the development of rational therapeutic interventions. ..
- Cardiac Risk Factors in Chronic Kidney DiseaseMark Sarnak; Fiscal Year: 2006..Evaluating the importance of traditional and non-traditional risk factors in CKD is essential in that it will focus attention on the most important cardiac risk factors in this population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac disease in children with chronic renal failureMark Mitsnefes; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the long-term goal will be to decrease the incidence and prevalence of cardiovascular disease in young adults who developed chronic renal disease during childhood. ..
- TWO NOVEL CPLA2 BINDING PROTEINS AND CELL DEATHJOSEPH VINCENT BONVENTRE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Given the large number of patients that are initiated on dialysis each year, this addresses a critical public health problem. ..
- Sex Hormones, Related Polymorphisms & Cognitive DeclineKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2006..Further knowledge of the association between sex hormones, hormone-related polymorphisms and cognitive decline may facilitate preventative strategies to maintain independence and to promote optimum brain aging. ..