Genomes and Genes
complement factor h
Summary: An important soluble regulator of the alternative pathway of complement activation (COMPLEMENT ACTIVATION PATHWAY, ALTERNATIVE). It is a 139-kDa glycoprotein expressed by the liver and secreted into the blood. It binds to COMPLEMENT C3B and makes iC3b (inactivated complement 3b) susceptible to cleavage by COMPLEMENT FACTOR I. Complement factor H also inhibits the association of C3b with COMPLEMENT FACTOR B to form the C3bB proenzyme, and promotes the dissociation of Bb from the C3bBb complex (COMPLEMENT C3 CONVERTASE, ALTERNATIVE PATHWAY).
Publications270 found, 100 shown here
- Complement factor H polymorphism in age-related macular degenerationRobert J Klein
Laboratory of Statistical Genetics, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 308:385-9. 2005..Among 116,204 single-nucleotide polymorphisms genotyped, an intronic and common variant in the complement factor H gene (CFH) is strongly associated with AMD (nominal P value <10(-7))...
- Complement factor H variant increases the risk of age-related macular degenerationJonathan L Haines
Center for Human Genetics Research, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Science 308:419-21. 2005..DNA resequencing of the complement factor H gene within this haplotype revealed a common coding variant, Y402H, that significantly increases the risk ..
- Complement factor H binds malondialdehyde epitopes and protects from oxidative stressDavid Weismann
Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Nature 478:76-81. 2011..Here we identify complement factor H (CFH) as a major MDA-binding protein that can block both the uptake of MDA-modified proteins by macrophages ..
- Complement factor H polymorphism and age-related macular degenerationAlbert O Edwards
Department of Ophthalmology and McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center UTSWMC, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Science 308:421-4. 2005..locus and was centered over a tyrosine-402 --> histidine-402 protein polymorphism in the gene encoding complement factor H. Possession of at least one histidine at amino acid position 402 increased the risk of AMD 2...
- A common haplotype in the complement regulatory gene factor H (HF1/CFH) predisposes individuals to age-related macular degenerationGregory S Hageman
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Cell Biology and Functional Genomics Laboratory, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7227-32. 2005..We propose that genetic variation in a regulator of the alternative complement pathway, when combined with a triggering event, such as infection, underlie a major proportion of AMD in the human population...
- Common polymorphisms in C3, factor B, and factor H collaborate to determine systemic complement activity and disease riskMeike Heurich
Department of Infection, Immunity and Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:8761-6. 2011..0001). These data introduce the concept of a functional complotype (combination of polymorphisms) defining complement activity in an individual, thereby influencing susceptibility to AP-driven disease...
- Gain-of-function mutations in complement factor B are associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndromeElena Goicoechea de Jorge
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:240-5. 2007....
- A common CFH haplotype, with deletion of CFHR1 and CFHR3, is associated with lower risk of age-related macular degenerationAnne E Hughes
Department of Medical Genetics, Queen s University, Belfast, Belfast BT12 6BL, UK
Nat Genet 38:1173-7. 2006..It is a complex disease in which genetic and environmental factors contribute to susceptibility. Complement factor H (CFH) has recently been identified as a major AMD susceptibility gene, and the Y402H polymorphism has been ..
- A rare penetrant mutation in CFH confers high risk of age-related macular degenerationSoumya Raychaudhuri
Division of Genetics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 43:1232-6. 2011Two common variants in the gene encoding complement factor H (CFH), the Y402H substitution (rs1061170, c.1204C>T)(1-4) and the intronic rs1410996 SNP(5,6), explain 17% of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) liability...
- The meningococcal vaccine candidate GNA1870 binds the complement regulatory protein factor H and enhances serum resistanceGuillermo Madico
Section of Infectious Diseases, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Immunol 177:501-10. 2006..These data provide further support for inclusion of this molecule in a meningococcal vaccine. To reflect the critical function of this molecule, we suggest calling it fH-binding protein...
- Plasma complement components and activation fragments: associations with age-related macular degeneration genotypes and phenotypesRobyn Reynolds
Ophthalmic Epidemiology and Genetics Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5818-27. 2009..This study was conducted to determine whether alterations in circulating levels of these markers of complement activation and regulation are also independently associated with advanced AMD and whether they are related to AMD genotypes...
- Regulation of complement factor H (CFH) by multiple miRNAs in Alzheimer's disease (AD) brainWalter J Lukiw
LSU Neuroscience Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 2020 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 7011 2272, USA
Mol Neurobiol 46:11-9. 2012....
- Complement control protein factor H: the good, the bad, and the inadequateViviana P Ferreira
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43614, United States
Mol Immunol 47:2187-97. 2010..b>Complement factor H is a soluble complement regulator essential for controlling the alternative pathway in blood and on cell ..
- Extended haplotypes in the complement factor H (CFH) and CFH-related (CFHR) family of genes protect against age-related macular degeneration: characterization, ethnic distribution and evolutionary implicationsGregory S Hageman
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Cell Biology and Functional Genomics Laboratory, The University of Iowa, 11190E PFP, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa 52240, USA
Ann Med 38:592-604. 2006Variants in the complement factor H gene (CFH) are associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD). CFH and five CFH-related genes (CFHR1-5) lie within the regulators of complement activation (RCA) locus on chromosome 1q32...
- Genome-wide association study identifies variants in the CFH region associated with host susceptibility to meningococcal diseaseSonia Davila
Infectious Diseases, Genome Institute of Singapore, Singapore
Nat Genet 42:772-6. 2010..A cluster of complement factor SNPs replicated independently in both cohorts, including SNPs within complement factor H (CFH) (rs1065489 (p.936D<E), P = 2.2 x 10(-11)) and in CFH-related protein 3 (CFHR3)(rs426736, P = 4...
- An imbalance of human complement regulatory proteins CFHR1, CFHR3 and factor H influences risk for age-related macular degeneration (AMD)Lars G Fritsche
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, Regensburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:4694-704. 2010A frequent deletion of complement factor H (CFH)-related genes CFHR3 and CFHR1 (ΔCFHR3/CFHR1) is considered to have a protective effect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD), although the underlying mechanism remains elusive...
- Tissue-specific host recognition by complement factor H is mediated by differential activities of its glycosaminoglycan-binding regionsSimon J Clark
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Immunol 190:2049-57. 2013b>Complement factor H (CFH) regulates complement activation in host tissues through its recognition of polyanions, which mediate CFH binding to host cell surfaces and extracellular matrix, promoting the deactivation of deposited C3b...
- Complement factor H deficiency in aged mice causes retinal abnormalities and visual dysfunctionPeter J Coffey
Division of Cellular Therapy, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16651-6. 2007..is the most common form of legal blindness in westernized societies, and polymorphisms in the gene encoding complement factor H (CFH) are associated with susceptibility to age-related macular degeneration in more than half of affected ..
- The role of complement Factor H in age-related macular degeneration: a reviewLarry A Donoso
The Philadelphia Retina Endowment Fund, the Eye Research Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 55:227-46. 2010..Identification of the initial event or inciting antigen has yet to be determined and will significantly advance the understanding of the pathogenesis of AMD...
- Frequency of factor H-binding protein modular groups and susceptibility to cross-reactive bactericidal activity in invasive meningococcal isolatesRolando Pajon
Center for Immunobiology and Vaccine Development, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Vaccine 28:2122-9. 2010..The results confirmed the modular architecture of fHbp and underscored its importance for the design of broadly protective group B vaccines in different regions...
- Structure and flexibility of the multiple domain proteins that regulate complement activationM D Kirkitadze
Center for Neurological Diseases, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Immunol Rev 180:146-61. 2001..The results could have implications for folding, evolution, flexibility and structure-function relationships of other molecules in the large, diverse and little understood category of multiple domain proteins...
- Complement factor H and high-temperature requirement A-1 genotypes and treatment response of age-related macular degenerationTakashi Tsuchihashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama Medical University, Iruma, Saitama, Japan
Ophthalmology 118:93-100. 2011To determine whether there is an association between complement factor H (CFH), high-temperature requirement A-1 (HTRA1), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) genotypes and response to ..
- Phenotype and genotype characteristics of age-related macular degeneration in a Japanese populationKeisuke Mori
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama Medical University, Iruma, Saitama, Japan
Ophthalmology 117:928-38. 2010..To describe phenotype and genotype characteristics of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in Japanese patients...
- The disease-protective complement factor H allotypic variant Ile62 shows increased binding affinity for C3b and enhanced cofactor activityAgustín Tortajada
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Instituto Reina Sofía de Investigaciones Nefrológicas, Madrid, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 18:3452-61. 2009....
- Anti-Factor H autoantibodies associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndromeMarie Agnès Dragon-Durey
Service d Immunologie Biologique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20 rue Leblanc, 75015 Paris, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:555-63. 2005..This new mechanism of functional FH deficiency may lead to the design of new approaches of diagnosis and treatment with a particular interest in plasma exchanges or immunosuppressive therapies...
- Deletion of complement factor H-related genes CFHR1 and CFHR3 is associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndromePeter F Zipfel
Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knoell Institute, Jena, Germany
PLoS Genet 3:e41. 2007..Disease-associated mutations have been described in the genes encoding the complement regulators complement factor H, membrane cofactor protein, factor B, and factor I...
- The complement regulator factor H binds to the surface protein OspE of Borrelia burgdorferiJ Hellwage
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Haartmaninkatu 3, FIN-00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 276:8427-35. 2001..Specific binding of factor H to B. burgdorferi sensu stricto OspE may help the pathogen to evade complement attack and phagocytosis...
- Three major loci involved in age-related macular degeneration are also associated with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathyLuiz H Lima
The Vitreous, Retina, Macula Consultants of New York and the LuEsther T Mertz Retina Research Center, Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 117:1567-70. 2010..To investigate the frequency of variants in 3 major age-related macular degeneration (AMD)-associated loci in patients of European-American descent with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV)...
- Individuals homozygous for the age-related macular degeneration risk-conferring variant of complement factor H have elevated levels of CRP in the choroidP T Johnson
Center for the Study of Macular Degeneration, Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106 5060, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17456-61. 2006Polymorphisms in the complement factor H gene (CFH) are associated with a significantly increased risk for, or protection against, the development of age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Proliferative glomerulonephritis secondary to dysfunction of the alternative pathway of complementSanjeev Sethi
Division of Anatomic Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1009-17. 2011..A recently described entity referred to as GN with C3 deposition (GN-C3) bears many similarities to DDD. The purpose of this study was to evaluate AP function in cases of GN-C3...
- C-reactive protein and complement factor H in aged human eyes and eyes with age-related macular degenerationImran A Bhutto
Department of Ophthalmology, Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9115, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 95:1323-30. 2011..A genetic variation in the gene encoding complement factor H (CFH) and plasma levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), a systemic marker of subclinical inflammation, have ..
- Complement factor H genotypes impact risk of age-related macular degeneration by interaction with oxidized phospholipidsPeter X Shaw
Molecular Medicine Research Center and Department of Ophthalmology, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:13757-62. 2012The rs1061170T/C variant encoding the Y402H change in complement factor H (CFH) has been identified by genome-wide association studies as being significantly associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Complement factor H variants I890 and L1007 while commonly associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome are polymorphisms with no functional significanceAgustín Tortajada
Departamento de Medicina Celular y Molecular, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas CSIC, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, Madrid, Spain
Kidney Int 81:56-63. 2012....
- Spontaneous hemolytic uremic syndrome triggered by complement factor H lacking surface recognition domainsMatthew C Pickering
Molecular Genetics and Rheumatology Section, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London W12 0NN, England, UK
J Exp Med 204:1249-56. 2007....
- Factor H-related protein 1 (CFHR-1) inhibits complement C5 convertase activity and terminal complex formationStefan Heinen
Department of Infection Biology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute, Jena, Germany
Blood 114:2439-47. 2009..This activity is distinct from complement factor H, and apparently factor H and CFHR1 control complement activation in a sequential manner...
- Structure of complement fragment C3b-factor H and implications for host protection by complement regulatorsJin Wu
Crystal and Structural Chemistry, Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research, Department of Chemistry, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nat Immunol 10:728-33. 2009..Our results offer general models for complement regulation and provide structural explanations for disease-related mutations in the genes encoding both FH and C3b...
- Complement factor H mutations and gene polymorphisms in haemolytic uraemic syndrome: the C-257T, the A2089G and the G2881T polymorphisms are strongly associated with the diseaseJessica Caprioli
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Clinical Research Center for Rare Diseases Aldo e Cele Daccò, Villa Camozzi, Via Camozzi 3, 24020 Ranica, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 12:3385-95. 2003Mutations in complement factor H (HF1) gene have been reported in non-Shiga toxin-associated and diarrhoea-negative haemolytic uraemic syndrome (D-HUS)...
- Association of genetic variants in complement factor H and factor H-related genes with systemic lupus erythematosus susceptibilityJian Zhao
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS Genet 7:e1002079. 2011....
- miRNA-155 upregulation and complement factor H deficits in Down's syndromeYuan Y Li
Department of Ophthalmology, LSU Neuroscience Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 2020 Gravier St, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neuroreport 23:168-73. 2012..of a chromosome 21-encoded miRNA-155 and a decrease in the abundance of the miRNA-155 mRNA target complement factor H (CFH), an important repressor of the innate immune response...
- Serogroup B meningococcal vaccines-an unfinished storyManish Sadarangani
Oxford Vaccine Group, Department of Paediatrics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 10:112-24. 2010..Vaccines based on subcapsular antigens have recently produced promising results in early clinical trials, and the disease burden might be substantially reduced over the next few years...
- Complement factor H deficiency accelerates development of lupus nephritisLihua Bao
Section of Nephrology, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC5100, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:285-95. 2011b>Complement factor H (CfH) is a key regulator of the alternative pathway, and its presence on mouse platelets and podocytes allows the processing of immune complexes...
- Basal laminar drusen caused by compound heterozygous variants in the CFH geneCamiel J F Boon
Department of Ophthalmology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6525 GA Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Hum Genet 82:516-23. 2008..AMD) is a multifactorial disease that is strongly associated with the Tyr402His variant in the complement factor H (CFH) gene...
- The human complement factor H: functional roles, genetic variations and disease associationsSantiago Rodriguez de Cordoba
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Departmento de Inmunologia, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Mol Immunol 41:355-67. 2004..This review summarises our current knowledge of the role of factor H in health and disease...
- Impaired binding of the age-related macular degeneration-associated complement factor H 402H allotype to Bruch's membrane in human retinaSimon J Clark
Faculty of Life Sciences, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 285:30192-202. 2010..Recent genetic association studies have demonstrated that a common allele (402H) of the complement factor H (CFH) gene is a major risk factor for the development of AMD; CFH suppresses complement activation on host ..
- Association of factor H autoantibodies with deletions of CFHR1, CFHR3, CFHR4, and with mutations in CFH, CFI, CD46, and C3 in patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndromeIain Moore
Institute of Human Genetics, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Blood 115:379-87. 2010..By using multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification we measured complement factor H-related (CFHR)1 and CFHR3 copy number...
- Identification of a mutation in complement factor H-related protein 5 in patients of Cypriot origin with glomerulonephritisDaniel P Gale
Division of Medicine, University College, London, UK
Lancet 376:794-801. 2010..We aimed to establish the genetic basis for a familial disorder of complement regulation associated with persistent microscopic haematuria, recurrent macroscopic haematuria, glomerulonephritis, and progressive renal failure...
- The factor H variant associated with age-related macular degeneration (His-384) and the non-disease-associated form bind differentially to C-reactive protein, fibromodulin, DNA, and necrotic cellsAndreas P Sjöberg
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital Malmo, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Biol Chem 282:10894-900. 2007..The variations in binding affinity of the two alleles indicate that complement activation and local inflammation in response to different targets will differ between His/His and Tyr/Tyr homozygotes...
- Synthesis of complement factor H by retinal pigment epithelial cells is down-regulated by oxidized photoreceptor outer segmentsMei Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland AB25 2ZD, UK
Exp Eye Res 84:635-45. 2007..the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), in part because certain gene polymorphisms in complement factor H (CFH), an important regulator of the alternative complement activation pathway, are high risk factors for ..
- Mutations in factor H reduce binding affinity to C3b and heparin and surface attachment to endothelial cells in hemolytic uremic syndromeTamara Manuelian
Hans Knoell Institute for Natural Products Research, Beutenbergstrasse 11a, D 07745 Jena, Germany
J Clin Invest 111:1181-90. 2003....
- Association analysis of CFH, C2, BF, and HTRA1 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathyKelvin Y Lee
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2613-9. 2008..Variants in the C2 and BF genes have been found to confer a significantly reduced risk of AMD. This study was undertaken to determine whether these associations occur in Chinese patients with PCV...
- Factor H family proteins: on complement, microbes and human diseasesP F Zipfel
Hans Knoell Institute for Natural Products Research, Beutenbergstrasse 11a, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Biochem Soc Trans 30:971-8. 2002....
- Pharmacogenetics of complement factor H (Y402H) and treatment of exudative age-related macular degeneration with ranibizumabA Y Lee
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 93:610-3. 2009To determine whether complement factor H (CFH) genotypes have a pharmacogenetic effect on the treatment of exudative age-related macular degeneration (AMD) with ranibizumab.
- Factor H autoantibodies in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome correlate with CFHR1/CFHR3 deficiencyMihaly Jozsi
Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Jena, Germany
Blood 111:1512-4. 2008..Screening for both factors is obviously relevant for HUS patients as reduction of CFH autoantibody levels represents a therapeutic option...
- Functional significance of factor H binding to Neisseria meningitidisMuriel C Schneider
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College London, UK
J Immunol 176:7566-75. 2006..meningitidis to avoid complement-mediated killing in the presence of human serum. Therefore, the recruitment of fH provides another mechanism by which this important human pathogen evades host innate immunity...
- Genetics of HUS: the impact of MCP, CFH, and IF mutations on clinical presentation, response to treatment, and outcomeJessica Caprioli
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacologic Research, Clinical Research Center for Rare Diseases, Aldo e Cele Daccò, Bergamo, Italy
Blood 108:1267-79. 2006..We undertook genetic analysis on membrane cofactor protein (MCP), complement factor H (CFH), and factor I (IF) in 156 patients with non-Stx-HUS...
- A 32 kb critical region excluding Y402H in CFH mediates risk for age-related macular degenerationTheru A Sivakumaran
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25598. 2011b>Complement factor H shows very strong association with Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD), and recent data suggest that multiple causal variants are associated with disease...
- Systemic complement activation in age-related macular degenerationHendrik P N Scholl
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e2593. 2008..Furthermore, the data provide evidence for an association of systemic activation of the alternative complement pathway with genetic variants of CFH that were previously linked to AMD susceptibility...
- CFH and LOC387715/ARMS2 genotypes and treatment with antioxidants and zinc for age-related macular degenerationMichael L Klein
Macular Degeneration Center, Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1019-25. 2008..To determine if CFH and LOC387715/ARMS2 genotypes influence treatment response to AREDS-type nutritional supplementation with antioxidants and zinc...
- Causes of alternative pathway dysregulation in dense deposit diseaseYuzhou Zhang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Caver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, 5270 CBRB Building, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:265-74. 2012..This study was designed to investigate the causes of alternative pathway dysregulation in a cohort of patients with dense deposit disease (DDD)...
- Binding of complement factor H (fH) to Neisseria meningitidis is specific for human fH and inhibits complement activation by rat and rabbit seraDan M Granoff
Center for Immunobiology and Vaccine Development, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Infect Immun 77:764-9. 2009b>Complement factor H (fH), a molecule that downregulates complement activation, binds to Neisseria meningitidis and increases resistance to serum bactericidal activity...
- No association between complement factor H gene polymorphism and exudative age-related macular degeneration in JapaneseNorimoto Gotoh
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Hum Genet 120:139-43. 2006..In Caucasian, a polymorphism of the complement factor H gene (CFH), the C allele of rs1061170 (Y402H), was established as the first strong genetic factor for ..
- CFH, VEGF and HTRA1 promoter genotype may influence the response to intravitreal ranibizumab therapy for neovascular age-related macular degenerationMartin McKibbin
Eye Clinic, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 96:208-12. 2012....
- Complement evasion strategies of pathogens-acquisition of inhibitors and beyondAnna M Blom
Lund University, Deptartment of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital Malmo, Sweden
Mol Immunol 46:2808-17. 2009....
- Heterozygous and homozygous factor h deficiencies associated with hemolytic uremic syndrome or membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis: report and genetic analysis of 16 casesMarie Agnès Dragon-Durey
INSERM U430, Institut des Cordeliers, Paris, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:787-95. 2004..This report emphasizes the variability in the clinical progression of kidney diseases associated with FH deficiencies. Genetic analysis reveals the molecular abnormalities associated with FH deficiencies to be polymorphous...
- A meningococcal factor H binding protein mutant that eliminates factor H binding enhances protective antibody responses to vaccinationPeter T Beernink
Center for Immunobiology and Vaccine Development, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
J Immunol 186:3606-14. 2011....
- Structure shows that a glycosaminoglycan and protein recognition site in factor H is perturbed by age-related macular degeneration-linked single nucleotide polymorphismAndrew P Herbert
Edinburgh Biomolecular NMR Unit, School of Chemistry and School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JJ, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 282:18960-8. 2007....
- Characterization of diverse subvariants of the meningococcal factor H (fH) binding protein for their ability to bind fH, to mediate serum resistance, and to induce bactericidal antibodiesKate L Seib
Molecular Genetics Unit, Novartis Vaccines, Via Fiorentina, 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Infect Immun 79:970-81. 2011..Furthermore, cross-reactive bactericidal activity was seen within each variant group, although the degree of activity varied, suggesting that amino acid differences within each variant group influence the bactericidal antibody response...
- Complement factor H Y402H gene polymorphism and response to intravitreal bevacizumab in exudative age-related macular degenerationChristian Nischler
Department of Ophthalmology, Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Acta Ophthalmol 89:e344-9. 2011To determine whether different complement factor H (CFH) genotypes play a role in treatment of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) with intravitreal bevacizumab.
- Primary glomerulonephritis with isolated C3 deposits: a new entity which shares common genetic risk factors with haemolytic uraemic syndromeAude Servais
Department of Nephrology, Necker Hospital, Paris, France
J Med Genet 44:193-9. 2007..In some instances, HUS may be associated with an unusual glomerulonephritis with isolated C3 deposits (glomerulonephritis C3). We determined whether HUS and glomerulonephritis C3 share common genetic susceptibility factors...
- Translational mini-review series on complement factor H: genetics and disease associations of human complement factor HS Rodríguez de Córdoba
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras, Madrid, Spain
Clin Exp Immunol 151:1-13. 2008..Several recent studies have described the association of genetic variations of the complement factor H gene (CFH) with atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS), age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and ..
- Anti factor H autoantibodies block C-terminal recognition function of factor H in hemolytic uremic syndromeMihaly Jozsi
Junior Research Group Cellular Immunobiology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute, Jena, Germany
Blood 110:1516-8. 2007..These results suggest that aHUS-associated FH autoantibodies mimic the effect of C-terminal FH mutations, as they inhibit the regulatory function of FH at cell surfaces by blocking its C-terminal recognition region...
- Defective complement control of factor H (Y402H) and FHL-1 in age-related macular degenerationChristine Skerka
Department of Infection Biology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Products Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute, Jena, Germany
Mol Immunol 44:3398-406. 2007The common variant in the human complement Factor H gene (CFH), with Tyr402His, is linked to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a prevalent disorder leading to visual impairment and irreversible blindness in elderly patients...
- Factor H facilitates the clearance of GBM bound iC3b by controlling C3 activation in fluid phaseDanielle Paixao-Cavalcante
Molecular Genetics and Rheumatology Section, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London, W12 0NN, UK
Mol Immunol 46:1942-50. 2009..The implication is that successful therapy of DDD is likely to be achieved by therapies that inhibit C3 turnover in plasma...
- A radiation hybrid map of complement factor H and factor H-related genesM A Diaz-Guillen
Departamento de Inmunologia, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Immunogenetics 49:549-52. 1999
- His-384 allotypic variant of factor H associated with age-related macular degeneration has different heparin binding properties from the non-disease-associated formSimon J Clark
Medical Research Council MRC Immunochemistry Unit and Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:24713-20. 2006A polymorphism in complement factor H has recently been associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of blindness in the elderly...
- Complement factor h is critical in the maintenance of retinal perfusionPeter Lundh von Leithner
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, GlaxoSmithKline Medicine sResearch Centre, Stevenage, Herts, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 175:412-21. 2009..Recently, age-related macular degeneration was associated with a single-nucleotide substitution of the complement factor H (CFH) gene, part of the alternative pathway of the complement system, a critical element in the innate ..
- Human complement Factor H modulates C1q-mediated phagocytosis of apoptotic cellsYu Hoi Kang
MRC Immunochemistry Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Immunobiology 217:455-64. 2012..We conclude that under physiological conditions, Factor H may be important in controlling the inflammation which might arise from C1q deposition on apoptotic cells...
- Enhanced bacteremia in human factor H transgenic rats infected by Neisseria meningitidisDavid M Vu
Center for Immunobiology and Vaccine Development, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
Infect Immun 80:643-50. 2012....
- Loss of properdin exacerbates C3 glomerulopathy resulting from factor H deficiencyMarieta M Ruseva
Centre for Complement and Inflammation Research, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 24:43-52. 2013b>Complement factor H (CFH) is a negative regulator of the alternative pathway of complement, and properdin is the sole positive regulator...
- Altered function of factor I caused by amyloid beta: implication for pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration from DrusenJiying Wang
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 181:712-20. 2008..These findings link four factors that have been suggested to be associated with AMD: inflammation, complement activation, Abeta deposition, and drusen...
- Retinal pigment epithelial cells upregulate expression of complement factors after co-culture with activated T cellsHelene B Juel
Eye Research Unit, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, ISIM 18 3, Blegdamsvej 3, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Exp Eye Res 92:180-8. 2011..This is important for the further understanding of inflammatory ocular diseases such as uveitis and age-related macular degeneration...
- Genetic influences on the outcome of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor treatment in neovascular age-related macular degenerationFarshad Abedi
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Ophthalmology 120:1641-8. 2013..To determine the association of genetic variants in known age-related macular degeneration (AMD) risk-associated genes with outcome of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) treatment in neovascular AMD...
- Choroidal thickness, vascular hyperpermeability, and complement factor H in age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathyPichai Jirarattanasopa
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:3663-72. 2012..the relationship between subfoveal choroidal thickness, choroidal vascular hyperpermeability, and complement factor H (CFH) gene polymorphism in typical age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and polypoidal choroidal ..
- Associations of complement factor H (CFH) and age-related maculopathy susceptibility 2 (ARMS2) genotypes with subtypes of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathyKoji Tanaka
Department of Ophthalmology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:7441-4. 2011To clarify whether complement factor H (CFH) and age-related maculopathy susceptibility 2 (ARMS2) genotypes are associated with subtypes of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV), such as polypoidal choroidal neovascularization (CNV) ..
- Differential impact of complement mutations on clinical characteristics in atypical hemolytic uremic syndromeAnne Laure Sellier-Leclerc
Service de Nephrologie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Robert Debre, 48 Boulevard Serurier, 75 019 Paris, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2392-400. 2007..New therapies are urgently needed, and further research should elucidate the unexplained HUS group...
- Genetic factors associated with age-related macular degenerationNicolas Leveziel
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Intercommunal de Creteil, University of Paris XII, Creteil, France
Ophthalmologica 226:87-102. 2011..This review emphasizes the clinical impact of the major genetic factors mainly located in the complement factor H gene and on the 10q26 locus, and their current and future implications for the management of AMD.
- Common variation in three genes, including a noncoding variant in CFH, strongly influences risk of age-related macular degenerationJulian Maller
Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge St, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Genet 38:1055-9. 2006..descent, we have identified a previously unrecognized common, noncoding variant in CFH, the gene encoding complement factor H, that substantially increases the influence of this locus on AMD, and we have strongly replicated the ..
- Association study of complement factor H, C2, CFB, and C3 and age-related macular degeneration in a Han Chinese populationXiaoqi Liu
Center for Human Molecular Biology and Genetics, Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences and Sichuan Provincial People s Hospital, Sichuan, China
Retina 30:1177-84. 2010Genes in the complement pathway, including complement factor H (CFH), C2/BF, and C3, have been reported to be associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Renal transplantation under prophylactic eculizumab in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome with CFH/CFHR1 hybrid proteinS Krid
Pediatric Nephrology, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Am J Transplant 12:1938-44. 2012..We conclude that eculizumab alone, without plasma therapy (plasma infusion and/or plasma exchange), is sufficient to prevent recurrence of aHUS and to maintain long-term graft function...
- Factor H binding to bone sialoprotein and osteopontin enables tumor cell evasion of complement-mediated attackN S Fedarko
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Biol Chem 275:16666-72. 2000..In this report, we show that BSP and OPN form rapid and tight complexes with complement Factor H. Besides its key role in regulating complement-mediated cell lysis, Factor H also appears to play a role ..
- Role of ocular complement factor H in a murine model of choroidal neovascularizationValeriy V Lyzogubov
Department of Ophthalmology, Jones Eye Institute, Pat and Willard Walker Eye Research Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Am J Pathol 177:1870-80. 2010The objective of this study was to explore the relationship between local (ie, ocular) complement factor H (CFH) and choroidal neovascularization (CNV) associated with wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of ..
- Neisseria meningitidis recruits factor H using protein mimicry of host carbohydratesMuriel C Schneider
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Nature 458:890-3. 2009..complement is precisely controlled through membrane-bound and soluble plasma-regulatory proteins including complement factor H (fH; ref. 2), a 155 kDa protein composed of 20 domains (termed complement control protein repeats)...
- The effect of photo-oxidative stress and inflammatory cytokine on complement factor H expression in retinal pigment epithelial cellsLing Ing Lau
Institute of Clinical Medicine, School ofMedicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6832-41. 2011Genetic variation in complement factor H (CFH) has been implicated as a major risk factor for age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Analysis of candidate genes for age-related macular degeneration subtypes in the Japanese populationKoji Tanaka
Department of Ophthalmology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Vis 17:2751-8. 2011..We aimed to investigate the relationships between single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in candidate genes and subtypes of AMD in the Japanese population...
- Multilocus analysis of age-related macular degenerationJulie Bergeron-Sawitzke
SAIC Frederick, Basic Science Program, Human Genetics Section, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 17:1190-9. 2009..Of the three identified complement loci, variants in complement factor H (CFH) have the highest impact as does an independent locus at 10q26...
- Interactions between human complement components factor H, factor I and C3bC J Soames
MRC Immunochemistry Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, U K
Biochem J 326:553-61. 1997..Based on these results, a model of the interactions between factor H, factor I and C3(NH3) leading to the processing of C3(NH3) is proposed...
- Functional characterization of Borrelia spielmanii outer surface proteins that interact with distinct members of the human factor H protein family and with plasminogenAnnekatrin Seling
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Infection Control, University Hospital of Frankfurt, Paul Ehrlich Str 40, D 60596 Frankfurt, Germany
Infect Immun 78:39-48. 2010..The mutation of His-79 to Arg did not inhibit binding of plasminogen, another known ligand of this group of borrelial outer-surface proteins...
- CspA-mediated binding of human factor H inhibits complement deposition and confers serum resistance in Borrelia burgdorferiMelisha R Kenedy
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Infect Immun 77:2773-82. 2009..The combined data lead us to conclude that the CspA-mediated binding of human FH confers serum resistance by directly inhibiting complement deposition on the surface of B. burgdorferi...
- Complement factor H is expressed in adipose tissue in association with insulin resistanceJosé María Moreno-Navarrete
Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Institut d Investigació Biomédica de Girona, and CIBER Fisiopatologia Obesidad y Nutricion, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Girona, Spain
Diabetes 59:200-9. 2010..Our objective was to study the associations between circulating and adipose tissue gene expressions of CFH and complement factor B (fB; CFB) with obesity and insulin resistance...
- Characterization of an NF-kappaB-regulated, miRNA-146a-mediated down-regulation of complement factor H (CFH) in metal-sulfate-stressed human brain cellsAileen I Pogue
Neuroscience Center and Department of Ophthalmology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Inorg Biochem 103:1591-5. 2009..ROS)-mediated up-regulation of an NF-kappaB-sensitive miRNA-146a that down-regulates the expression of complement factor H (CFH), an important repressor of inflammation...
- Complement factor H genetic variant and age-related macular degeneration: effect size, modifiers and relationship to disease subtypeReecha Sofat
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University College London, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 41:250-62. 2012Variation in the complement factor H gene (CFH) is associated with risk of late age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- The Role of Complement in the Pathogenesis of PreeclampsiaMICHAEL PAUL TRIEBWASSER; Fiscal Year: 2013..These findings led to the sequencing of membrane cofactor protein (MCP), complement factor I (FI), and complement factor H (FH) in a group of preeclamptic patients from the PROMISSE study (Predictors of pregnancy Outcome: ..
- Targeting Pneumococcal Virulence Factors in Otitis MediaHonggao Yan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The molecular bases for their functions are the ability of CbpA to bind human complement factor H (FH) and the ectodomain of pIgR and the ability of PspA to bind apo- and holo-lactoferrin (LF) and to ..
- Role of the complement system in renal diseaseRichard J Quigg; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Complement factor H, decay accelerating factor, and complement receptor 1-related protein y (Crry) are responsible for limiting ..
- Complement Factor H Haplotypes and Smoking in Age-Related Macular DegenerationBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Functional analysis of AMD-associated HTRA1 promoter polymorphismNoriko Esumi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although complement factor H (CFH) appears to be the major susceptibility gene on 1q32, the critical region on 10q26 has been ..
- Micro RNA-146a (miRNA-146a) signaling in Alzheimers disease (AD)Walter J Lukiw; Fiscal Year: 2013..of a specific NF-?B-sensitive miRNA-146a down-regulates the abundance of at least three major mRNA targets, complement factor H (CFH), interleukin-1 receptor associated kinase (IRAK) and tetraspanin 12 (TSPAN12), that encode key ..
- Building a Better AMD MouseCaroline J Zeiss; Fiscal Year: 2010..most evidence exists for dysregulated systemic complement activation, predominantly due to polymorphisms in complement factor H, or CFH and a cardiovascular risk profile...
- Genetic Epidemiology of Age-Related Macular DegenerationDebra A Schaumberg; Fiscal Year: 2011..fraction for AMD in relation to common variants within a group of strong candidate genes including complement factor H, HTRA1/LOC387715, and others (candidates identified based on position, function, expression, etc...
- Admixture Mapping of Glaucoma Genes in African AmericansMichael A Hauser; Fiscal Year: 2012..has recently met with dramatic success in the analysis of complex diseases, including the identification of Complement Factor H as the strongest genetic risk factor for age- related macular degeneration...
- Epigenetic regulation of SOD2 and CFH gene expression in the aging RPEZeljka Smit-McBride; Fiscal Year: 2013..the age-related epigenetic regulation of wild type alleles of manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2) and complement factor H (CFH), two genes whose variant alleles are associated with the risk of AMD...
- Adrenomedullin Signaling at the Maternal-Fetal InterfaceKathleen M Caron; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this regard, AM peptide binds to and potentiates the activity of Complement Factor H, a negative inhibitor of the alternative complement pathway that is important for normal implantation...
- Role of complement factor H and immunity in AMD: a novel transgenic modelRafael Ufret-Vincenty; Fiscal Year: 2013..Genetic studies have consistently shown that a variant in complement factor H (Cfh), an important regulator of complement activation, is a strong risk factor for AMD...
- Membrane complement regulators in RPE degeneration and retinal injuryWenchao Song; Fiscal Year: 2013..evidence that individuals carrying single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in complement genes such as complement factor H (fH), factor B (fB), component 2 (C2) and component 3 (C3) are at increased risk of developing AMD...
- OPTICAL AND NEURAL CHANGES IN THE AGING VISUAL SYSTEMJohn S Werner; Fiscal Year: 2013..These functional data will be correlated with sequenced opsin genes and complement factor H alleles, and with ultra-high resolution images to study photoreceptor numbers and outer retinal morphology, ..
- Improved mutant meningococcal factor H binding protein vaccinesPETER TRIP BEERNINK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Meningococci use fHbp to bind complement factor H (fH) to evade host immunity;binding is specific for human fH...
- Complement and Pathogenic Mechanisms of AMDCatherine Bowes Rickman; Fiscal Year: 2013..is supported by studies identifying complement proteins in drusen and studies implicating variations in the complement factor H (CFH) gene as the strongest genetic factor associated with AMD risk...
- Identifying rare haplotype-environment interactions using Logistic Bayesian LassoShili Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..LBL, we were able to implicate a specific rare haplotype for Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) in the Complement Factor H (CFH) gene for the first time...
- Mitochondrial DNA Variations and Susceptibility to Oxidative Injury in the RPEJiyang Cai; Fiscal Year: 2009..30, 95% CI 1.25 - 7.17, p=0.01) following adjustment for known risk factors including complement factor H, LOC387715 gene on chromosome 10q26, age, gender and smoking status...
- Genetic Variations in Age-related Macular DegenerationJohn R Heckenlively; Fiscal Year: 2010..We and others have recently identified genetic variants in several genes [such as complement factor H (CFH), toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) and apolipoprotein E (APOE)] that have been associated with ..
- Gene Expression in Alzheimer's DiseaseWalter Lukiw; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Biological Factors for Age-Related Macular DegenerationJohanna Seddon; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Transgenic Rod Development and FunctionBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..However, more importantly, it will provide avenues for studying gene defects at the single cell level not only in the retina, but in other systems as well. ..
- ROD NEURODEGENERATIVE AND PROTECTIVE GENESBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect to isolate common downstream target genes that are activated both during degeneration and neuroprotection. ..
- Novel Risk Factors for Chronic Kidney DiseaseRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The new data may provide insights into the relative protective value of low levels of these markers on the incidence CKD in an aging population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2007 Small Intergin Binding Proteins Gordon Research ConferenceNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microvascular - Macrovascular Disease in Type 2 DiabetesRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Small integrin-binding proteins and tumor progressionNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular basis meningococcal group A capsular immunityDan Granoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Retinal Microvascular Characteristics/Vascular DisordersRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis-Eye StudyRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005..insights into the relative contribution of microvascular disease to the pathophysiology and natural history of subclinical and clinical cardiovascular disease, in representative populations of men and women of diverse ethnicities ..
- Neisseria meningitidis antigens expressed in infectionDan Granoff; Fiscal Year: 2005..meningitidis disease, including group B strains for which there is currently no vaccine available. Also, characterization of gene expression in an in vivo model will lead to a better understanding of meningococcal pathogenesis. ..
- WISCONSIN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- BONE SIALOPROTEIN AND BREAST CANCER METASTASISNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2002..We have recently found that circulating solution phase BSP and OPN are complexed with complement factor H and that this interaction blocks their subsequent binding to integrins...
- RETINAL ARTERIOLAR ABNORMALITIES AND CV MORTALITYRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data from this study will improve the understanding of the association between microvascular characteristics and cardiovascular mortality. ..
- Genetics of Age-Related Macular DegenerationMichael Klein; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Risk Factors for Age-Related MaculopathyDebra Schaumberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism of aPL antibody-induced Pregnancy lossJane E Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, understanding how aPL antibodies "cause" pregnancy loss may translate into new concepts about maternal-fetal tolerance and miscarriages in general and benefit women with non-APS- related pregnancy complications. ..
- C3aR and C5aR Modulate T-cell Responses in the MRL MouseMichael C Braun; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies are designed to advance our understanding of the mechanisms by which complement activation products modulate cellular immune responses and renal parenchymal responses in immune mediated renal injury. ..
- Molecular Genetics of X-L Cone-Rod DystrophyMichael Gorin; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will help to resolve issues of allelic and genetic heterogeneity for X-linked retinal degenerations and will further our understanding of the biology of degenerative eye diseases. ..
- Genetic Etiologies of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaJaney Wiggs; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific genetic defects will be correlated with clinical phenotype by investigating familial aggregation of clinical parameters and looking for evidence of gene/gene interactions and how these interactions may influence phenotype. ..
- Structure and Function of ADAMTS13 MetalloproteaseX Long Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- THE PATHOBIOLOGY OF INHERITED RETINAL DEGENERATIONDean Bok; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Glycosaminoglycans For IC Pathophysiology and PrognosisVinata Lokeshwar; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, it might yield a test or a combination of tests that can be used in the follow-up of IC patients and for monitoring 9 treatment responses. ..
- Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis WorkshopRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Predicting Nephropathy in Type II DiabetesPatrick Walker; Fiscal Year: 2005..These phase 1 proof of concept and feasibility studies will also lay the groundwork for more definitive studies related to predictive value as well as future preventive therapies with agents targeted toward a causative mechanism. ..
- Validation of topography-biased antibody librariesSylvia Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, this study will lay the foundation for further development of highly specific and high affinity antibodies to a diverse array of toxins. ..
- Identifying the RP10 gene causing retinitis pigmentosaStephen Daiger; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- FAMILIAL PRIMARY OPEN ANGLE GLAUCOMAJaney Wiggs; Fiscal Year: 2004..Initial genome screens to identify genes responsible for two POAG risk factors, ocular hypertension (OHT) and pseudoexfoliation (PEX), will be performed. ..
- EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX ABNORMALITIES IN CORNEAL EDEMAMARIA KENNEY; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Linkage Studies of Quantitative Ocular TraitsBarbara Klein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Subsequent follow-up with fine mapping of areas of interest in the genome is planned. ..
- The Role of C3a and C5a in BEA Induced NephritisMichael Braun; Fiscal Year: 2006..At the completion of this Award, the candidate will be prepared to continue as a highly productive independent investigator in the area of renal immunopathogenesis ..
- Office for Access to Biomedical Research and TrainingCHARLES BIGGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LINKAGE STUDY OF JUVENILE GLAUCOMAJaney Wiggs; Fiscal Year: 2008..3) Screen candidate genes located in the RIEG2 region on chromosome 13q14. 4) Correlate mutations in genes known to cause glaucoma with clinical phenotypes. ..
- BIOFUNCTIONAL MATERIALS CONTAINING PROTEIN MIMETICSWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2001..The controlled release of these bioactive factors may have therapeutic values in the fundamental processes of inflammation, biocompatibility, and tissue healing. ..
- Complement as a Mediator of Recurrent MiscarriagesJane Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, our studies will provide insights into mechanisms by which complement-induces disease and suggest means to prevent, arrest, or modify complement-mediated inflammatory disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOFUNCTIONAL MATERIALS CONTAINING PROTEIN MIMETICSWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Novel Mouse Models of Age-Related Macular DegenerationJayakrishna Ambati; Fiscal Year: 2007..Significance: These studies will provide mechanistic insights into and more effective treatments for AMD. ..
- Hinxton Retreat Workshop on Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis Type IIRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Asymmetric Dimethylarginine (ADMA), Genetic Variation, and Cardiovascular DiseaseJennifer Pai; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal seeks to understand the influence of ADMA on CHD risk, its mediators, and also utilize these findings to improve overall risk prediction of cardiovascular disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Statistical models for genetic studies of AMDSilke Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Significance: Our long-term goal is to advance our knowledge about the genetic and environmental risk factors for AMD to ultimately aid in the development of better prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- Preventing choroidal neovascularization by long-term transscleral drug deliveryPURAN BORA; Fiscal Year: 2006..For proof-of-concept, we will use a novel, human protein-based therapy that has shown great potential in preliminary animal studies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ZAP70 IN T CELL DEVELOPMENTJohn Atkinson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, these studies may provide additional mechanistic information for therapeutic interventions in drug design for T cell lymphomas, immunodeficiencies, autoimmune diseases, and transplantation rejection. ..