Genomes and Genes
Summary: A metabolite of THYROXINE, formed by the peripheral enzymatic monodeiodination of T4 at the 5 position of the inner ring of the iodothyronine nucleus.
Publications165 found, 100 shown here
- Historical sexual abuse and current thyroid axis profiles in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorderSusan S Girdler
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7175, USA
Psychosom Med 66:403-10. 2004....
- Association between increased levels of reverse triiodothyronine and mortality after acute myocardial infarctionL Friberg
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Med 111:699-703. 2001..CONCLUSION: Determination of reverse T3 levels may be a valuable and simple aid to improve identification of patients with myocardial infarction who are at high risk of subsequent mortality...
- Increased serum reverse triiodothyronine levels at diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with compensated HCV-related liver cirrhosisFrancesca Sorvillo
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine F Magrassi and A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:207-12. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate changes in thyroid hormone metabolism in relation to the development of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in patients with HCV-related liver cirrhosis...
- Effects of evening vs morning thyroxine ingestion on serum thyroid hormone profiles in hypothyroid patientsNienke Bolk
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:43-8. 2007..On each occasion patients were admitted for 24 h and serial blood samples were obtained...
- micro-Crystallin as an intracellular 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine holder in vivoSatoru Suzuki
Department of Aging Medicine and Geriatrics, Institute on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University, Graduate School of Medicine, 3 1 1, Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 21:885-94. 2007..These data suggest that because of rapid T(3) turnover, disruption of the CRYM gene decreases T(3) concentrations in tissues and serum without alteration of peripheral T(3) action in vivo...
- Familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia: a rare example of albumin polymorphism and its rapid molecular diagnosisTheodore W AvRuskin
Department of Pediatrics, The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, State University of New York at Brooklyn, 11212 3198, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:801-7. 2002..Analysis linking the FDH mutation to the Sac-1 polymorphism in this family was not informative. DNA analysis is a rapid and simple method to diagnose FDH in individuals with euthyroid hyperthyroxinemia...
- Differential T4 degradation pathways in young patients with preterminal and terminal renal failureO Witzke
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:355-8. 2007..The aim of this study is to analyze thyroid hormone parameters in large homogenous patient cohorts with preterminal (stage 4) and terminal (stage 5) renal failure in an area of low iodine intake...
- Hypothyroidism in rats decreases peripheral glucose utilisation, a defect partially corrected by central leptin infusionP Cettour-Rose
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Diabetologia 48:624-33. 2005..The aims of this work were to determine the effect of hypothyroidism on insulin-stimulated glucose turnover and to unravel the potential mechanisms involved in such an effect...
- Type 1 iodothyronine deiodinase in the house musk shrew (Suncus murinus, Insectivora: Soricidae): cloning and characterization of complementary DNA, unique tissue distribution and regulation by T(3)Margarita Rogatcheva
Department of Teratology and Genetics, Division of Molecular and Cellular Adaptation, Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 127:48-58. 2002..These results suggest that D2 contributes to the production and maintenance of T(3) levels in the house musk shrew...
- Effect of zinc treatment on serum thyroid hormones in uremic patients under peritoneal dialysisF Arreola
, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, ,
Horm Metab Res 25:539-42. 1993..82), T4 (r = 0.55) and T3 (r = 0.64), suggesting that Zn deficiency may play a role in the biosynthesis or release of hormones of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis in chronic renal failure...
- TRH test in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1 and/or autoimmune thyroiditis. Changes in the pituitary-thyroid axis, reverse T3, prolactin and growth hormone levelsE Orlická
Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 57:S109-17. 2008The response of the pituitary- thyroid axis, reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), prolactin, and growth hormone (GH) levels following TRH stimulus (Relefact TRH 200 microg 2 amp. i.v...
- Rapid down-regulation of thyroid hormones in acute myocardial infarction: is it cardioprotective in patients with angina?Leif Friberg
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska Institute at Huddinge University Hospital, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Intern Med 162:1388-94. 2002..In severe illness of any cause, down-regulation of the thyroid hormone system may occur. How this affects patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is largely unknown...
- Dissociation of the early decline in serum T(3) concentration and serum IL-6 rise and TNFalpha in nonthyroidal illness syndrome induced by abdominal surgeryM Michalaki
Department of Medicine, University of Patras Medical School, University Hospital, Patras 26500, Greece
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4198-205. 2001..The early and brisk cortisol response to surgery may at least in part explain the early decrease in serum T(3) in nonthyroidal illness syndrome...
- Inhibition of pituitary type 2 deiodinase by reverse triiodothyronine does not alter thyroxine-induced inhibition of thyrotropin secretion in hypothyroid ratsP Cettour-Rose
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Eur J Endocrinol 153:429-34. 2005..In order to document the role of this enzyme in adult rats we developed an experimental model that inhibited this enzyme using the specific inhibitor, reverse T3 (rT3)...
- Effect of long-term calorie restriction with adequate protein and micronutrients on thyroid hormonesLuigi Fontana
Washington University School of Medicine, 4566 Scott Avenue, Campus Box 8113, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3232-5. 2006..Caloric restriction (CR) retards aging in mammals. It has been hypothesized that a reduction in T(3) hormone may increase life span by conserving energy and reducing free-radical production...
- Effect of hypothyroidism on pathways for iodothyronine and tryptophan uptake into rat adipocytesJ W Ritchie
School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 280:E254-9. 2001..Regulation of iodothyronine turnover in fat cells by this type of mechanism could contribute significantly to modulation of T4-T3/rT3 metabolism in the hypothyroid state...
- Relationships between thyroid status, tissue oxidative metabolism, and muscle differentiation in bovine fetusesI Cassar-Malek
Equipe Croissance et Métabolismes du Muscle, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, INRA, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
Domest Anim Endocrinol 33:91-106. 2007..Results indicate that elevation of plasma T(3) concentrations in the last gestational trimester could be involved in the differentiation of oxidative skeletal muscles...
- Regulation of iodothyronine deiodinases in the Pax8-/- mouse model of congenital hypothyroidismSonke Friedrichsen
Max Planck Institut fur Experimentelle Endokrinologie, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Endocrinology 144:777-84. 2003..In conclusion, these findings show dramatic age and thyroid state-dependent changes in the expression of deiodinases in central and peripheral tissues of mice during the first 3 wk of life...
- Thyroid hormone deiodinases during embryonic development of the saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)Caroline A Shepherdley
Laboratory of Comparative Endocrinology, Zoological Institute, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gen Comp Endocrinol 126:153-64. 2002..High-K(m) reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3)) outer ring deiodination (ORD) activity was present in all tissues except the brain...
- Thyroid hormone transport by the human monocarboxylate transporter 8 and its rate-limiting role in intracellular metabolismEdith C H Friesema
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Room Ee502, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Endocrinol 20:2761-72. 2006..hMCT8 also facilitated affinity labeling of cotransfected D1 by bromoacetyl-T(3). Our findings indicate that hMCT8 mediates plasma membrane transport of iodothyronines, thus increasing their intracellular availability...
- The prognostic value of severe malnutrition in the development of nonthyroidal illness in head and neck cancer patientsM P C Siroen
Department of Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 30:415-20. 2006..In this study, we investigated whether the degree of NTI after surgery differed between severely malnourished and well-fed patients with head and neck cancer...
- Effect of iodine or iopanoic acid on thyroid Ca2+/NADPH-dependent H2O2-generating activity and thyroperoxidase in toxic diffuse goitersLuciene C Cardoso
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, CCS Bloco G Cidade Universitária, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, 21949 900, Brazil
Eur J Endocrinol 147:293-8. 2002..The aim of the present study was to compare the effects of iopanoic acid (IOP) or a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) administration to patients with toxic diffuse goiters (TDG)...
- Effect of perinatal asphyxia on thyroid-stimulating hormone and thyroid hormone levelsD N Pereira
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal Section, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Acta Paediatr 92:339-45. 2003....
- Endotoxn-induced nonthyroidal illness in dogsDavid L Panciera
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Am J Vet Res 64:229-34. 2003..To determine the effects of endotoxin administration on thyroid function test results and serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) activity in healthy dogs...
- Thyroid hormone indices during illness in six hypothyroid subjects rendered euthyroid with levothyroxine therapyD Wadwekar
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:373-7. 2004....
- Thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test in patients with pituitary pathologyMarie Louise Hartoft-Nielsen
Department of Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Horm Res 61:53-7. 2004..To evaluate the value of the thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) stimulation test in the diagnostic work-up of the thyroid function in patients with pituitary pathology...
- Nonthyroidal illness syndrome in off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingAlfredo Giuseppe Cerillo
Unità Operativa di Cardiochirurgia Adulti, Ospedale G Pasquinucci, Massa, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 75:82-7. 2003..Off-pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB) has been reported to be less invasive than coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) with CPB. We prospectively evaluated thyroid metabolism in OPCAB patients...
- Characteristics of type III iodothyronine deiodinaseT J Visser
Department of Internal Medicine III, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Med Austriaca 19:18-21. 1992..However, the relationship of p32 with ID-III is not clear, since labeling of p32 is also observed in tissues without ID-III activity and is not inhibited with a large excess of substrate...
- Decline of T3 and elevation in reverse T3 induced by hyperglucagonemia: changes in thyroid hormone metabolism, not altered release of thyroid hormonesU M Kabadi
VA Medical Center, Medical Service, Des Moines, Iowa
Horm Metab Res 20:513-6. 1988....
- Screening for thyroid disease in the elderly. Serum concentrations of thyrotropin and 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine in a representative population of 79-year-old women and menS Eden
Department of Geriatric and Long Term Care Medicine, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Compr Gerontol A 2:40-5. 1988....
- [Thyroid gland and pregnancy--physiology and pathology]Katarzyna Łacka
Katedry i Kliniki Endokrynologii i Przemiany Materii Akademii Medycznej w Poznaniu
Wiad Lek 55:450-62. 2002..stimulating hormone (TSH), free thyroxine (FT4), total thyroxine (TT4), total triiodothyronine (TT3), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), thyroxin binding globulin (TBG) and thyroglobulin (Tg) as well as the changes in metabolism have ..
- Changes in thyroxine, 3,3',5-triiodothyronine and 3,3'5'-triiodothyronine content in the thyroid gland and in serum to thyroid tissue iodothyronine ratios during ontogenesis in the fetal pigEwa Brzezińska-Slebodzińska
Department of Hormonal Action Mechanisms, Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn, ul Grunwaldzka 250, 60 166 Poznań, Poland
Acta Vet Hung 52:379-87. 2004....
- Changes in thyroid hormone state in children receiving chemotherapyH M van Santen
Department of Paediatric Endocrinology, Emma Children s Hospital, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 62:250-7. 2005..The concentrations of thyroid function determinants may change during severe illness. Our goal was to quantify their changes in children with cancer during chemotherapy, and to correlate them to clinical condition and type of drugs...
- Existence of extrathyroidal conversion inhibitor (IEC) in starved animals and its influence on thyroid hormones deiodination in liver and kidney in vitroG Nowak
Polish Academy of Sciences, Department of Experimental Pathology of Animals at the Institute of Plant Genetics, , Poland
Horm Metab Res 19:618-23. 1987..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Thyroid hormone status and pituitary function in adult rats given oral doses of perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS)Shu Ching Chang
Medical Department, 3M Company, St Paul, MN 55144, United States
Toxicology 243:330-9. 2008..We undertook this study to investigate the causes for the PFOS-induced reduction of serum total thyroxine (TT4) in rats...
- Alternate pathways of thyroid hormone metabolismSing Yung Wu
Nuclear Medicine and Medical Services, University of California, Irvine and Department of Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Thyroid 15:943-58. 2005..since sulfation of T(4) and T(3) markedly accelerates deiodination to the inactive metabolites, reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3)) and T(2)...
- Thyroid hormone metabolism in pediatric cardiac patients treated by continuous povidone-iodine irrigation for deep sternal wound infectionL Kovacikova
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, Children s University Hospital, Limbova 1, 833 40, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:1037-41. 2002..The purpose of this study was to assess the influence of povidone-iodine mediastinal irrigation used for the treatment of deep sternal wound infection (DSWI) on thyroid function...
- Unique alterations of thyroid hormone indices in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)J S LoPresti
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles
Ann Intern Med 110:970-5. 1989..56 +/- 0.1 nmol/L compared with 1.3 +/- 0.1 nmol/L, P less than 0.002, respectively). Reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) levels were low in persons with AIDS-related complex (0.21 +/- 0.02 nmol/L, P less than 0...
- The distribution patterns of trace elements in the brain and erythrocytes in a rat experimental model of iodine deficiencyN Q Liu
Laboratory of Nuclear Analytical Techniques, Institute of High Energy Physics, Academia Sinica, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Brain Res Bull 55:309-12. 2001..The serum levels of total and free thyroxine (T4, FT4), and of total, free, and reverse triiodothyronine (T3, FT3, rT3, respectively) were assessed by radioimmunoassay...
- Thyroid function in neonates with severe respiratory failure on extracorporeal membrane oxygenationD L Stewart
Department of Pediatrics, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KT 40202 3830, USA
Perfusion 16:469-75. 2001..Total and free thyroxine (T4, FT4), total and free triiodothyronine (T3, FT3), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), thyroid-stimulating hormone, and thyroxine binding globulin were measured in 14 newborn infants ..
- Influence of acetylsalicylic acid and ketoprofen on canine thyroid function testsS Daminet
Small Animal Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Belgium
Vet J 166:224-32. 2003..of total thyroxine (TT4), free thyroxine (FT4), total triiodothyronine (TT3), thyrotropin (TSH), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), Keto and ASA concentrations were taken during each treatment period on days 0, 1, 3 and 7...
- High antidiuretic hormone levels and hyponatremia in children with gastroenteritisKristen A Neville
Department of Endocrinology, Sydney Children s Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Pediatrics 116:1401-7. 2005..We looked for evidence of this before and during intravenous (IV) fluid administration in children treated for gastroenteritis...
- Low-T3 syndrome and signal-averaged ECG in haemodialysed patientsA J Jaroszynski
Chair and Clinic of Nephrology, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
Physiol Res 54:521-6. 2005..were performed postdialysis together with evaluating free triiodothyronine (fT3), free thyroxine (fT4), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), thyroid stimulating hormone levels and echocardiography...
- Sex steroids modulate rat anterior pituitary and liver iodothyronine deiodinase activitiesP C Lisboa
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS, Bloco G, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 33:532-5. 2001..Enzyme activities were measured by release of (125)I from deiodination of (125)I reverse triiodothyronine under varying assay conditions...
- Thyroid function in seventy-five healthy preterm infants thirty to thirty-five weeks of gestational age: a prospective and longitudinal study during the first year of lifeAntonio Carrascosa
Pediatric Endocrine Service, Children s Hospital Vall d Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Thyroid 14:435-42. 2004..thyrotropin (TSH), thyroxine (T(4)), triiodothyronine (T(3)), free T(4) (immunochemoluminescence) and reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3)) (radioimmunoassay) were measured in the mother and in the cord at delivery and in the preterm ..
- Physiology and pathophysiology of type 3 deiodinase in humansStephen A Huang
Division of Endocrinology, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Thyroid 15:875-81. 2005..inactivator of thyroid hormones, catalyzing the inner ring deiodination of thyroxine (T(4)) to reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3)) and (T(3)) to 3, 3'-diiodothyronine (T(2)), both of which are biologically inactive...
- The nuclear receptor constitutively active/androstane receptor regulates type 1 deiodinase and thyroid hormone activity in the regenerating mouse liverEric S Tien
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 320:307-13. 2007We observed that the level of reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) was significantly increased after partial hepatectomy (PH) in both wild-type and constitutively active/androstane receptor (CAR) knockout (KO) mice, and treatment with ..
- Increased type 3 iodothyronine deiodinase activity in a regrown hepatic hemangioma with consumptive hypothyroidismKazuhiko Bessho
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Pediatr 169:215-21. 2010..Infantile hepatic hemangioma with consumptive hypothyroidism is a rare condition...
- Body mass index and thyroid function in adolescent girlsM H Eftekhari
Department of Nutrition, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 71645 111, Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:905-9. 2007..were collected and assayed for Triiodothyronine (T3), thyroxine (T4), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), free thyroxine (FT4), free triiodothyronine (FT3)...
- Central stimulatory effect of leptin on T3 production is mediated by brown adipose tissue type II deiodinasePhilippe Cettour-Rose
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E980-7. 2002..Two groups of rats were infused with leptin for 6 days, one of them being additionally treated with reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), an inhibitor of D2...
- Thyroid hormone response to moderate hypothermia in severe brain injuryWinfried Meissner
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Bachstrasse 18, 07740 Jena, Germany
Intensive Care Med 29:44-8. 2003..To examine the effect of controlled moderate hypothermia on thyroid response in head-injured patients...
- Thyroid function in bulimia nervosaM Altemus
Laboratory of Clinical Science, DIRP, NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1264, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 21:249-61. 1996..or purging, patients had lower T3, total thyroxine (T4), free triiodothyronine, free thyroxine (FT4), reverse triiodothyronine and thyroid-binding globulin (TBG) values compared to controls (p < ...
- Thyroid function in children with perinatal human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectionF Chiarelli
Department of Medicine, University of Chieti, Italy
Thyroid 10:499-505. 2000..To study thyroid function in children with perinatal HIV-1 infection retrospectively and determine whether thyroid abnormalities are correlated with clinical condition, disease progression, immunological impairment, and viral load...
- Effects of low mercury vapour exposure on the thyroid function in chloralkali workersD G Ellingsen
National Institute of Occupational Health, PO Box 8149 Dep, N 0033 Oslo, Norway
J Appl Toxicol 20:483-9. 2000..3 nmol mmol-1 creatinine (range 0.2-5.0) in the reference group. The median serum concentration of reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) was statistically significantly higher in the exposed subjects compared with the referents (268 ..
- Effects of therapy with [177Lu-DOTA 0,Tyr 3]octreotate on endocrine functionJaap J M Teunissen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Erasmus Medical Center, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 36:1758-66. 2009..We determined the effects of PRRT with [(177)Lu-DOTA(0),Tyr(3)]octreotate ((177)Lu-octreotate) on glucose homeostasis and the pituitary-gonadal, pituitary-thyroid and pituitary-adrenal axes...
- Expression and characterization of a novel thyroid hormone-sulfating form of cytosolic sulfotransferase from human liverJ Wang
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Pharmacol 53:274-82. 1998..as 1-naphthol and p-nitrophenol and thyroid hormones, including 3,3'-diiodothyronine, triiodothyronine, reverse triiodothyronine, and thyroxine. No activity was detected when several steroids or dopamine were tested as substrates...
- Effect of somatotropin on thyroid hormones and cytokines in lactating dairy cows during ad libitum and restricted feed intakeA V Capuco
Gene Evaluation and Mapping Laboratory, USDA ARS, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Dairy Sci 84:2430-9. 2001..Short-term treatment with bST did not influence thyroid hormone metabolism in lactating cows in positive or negative energy balance...
- [The euthyroid sick syndrome in severe acute illness]Vicente Miguel Bayarri
Secretaria UCI, Hospital Universitario Dr Peset, Valencia, Spain
Presse Med 36:1550-6. 2007..To describe euthyroid sick syndrome (ESS) and its different clinical variants in severe acute illness...
- Mechanisms of nongenomic actions of thyroid hormonePaul J Davis
Ordway Research Institute, Inc, 150 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Front Neuroendocrinol 29:211-8. 2008....
- Bioenergetic impact of tissue-specific regulation of iodothyronine deiodinases during nutritional imbalanceRenata L Araujo
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Bioenerg Biomembr 43:59-65. 2011..deiodinase (D3) catalyzes the inner ring deiodination, leading to the inactivation of T4 into reverse triiodothyronine (rT3)...
- 5'-deiodinase activity and circulating thyronines in lactating cowsC Pezzi
Dipartimento di Morfofisiologia Veterinaria e Produzioni Animali, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita di Bologna, Via Tolara di Sopra 50, 40064 Ozzano Emilia BO, Italia
J Dairy Sci 86:152-8. 2003..studied concentrations of total and free thyroxine (T4 and fT4), triiodothyronine (T3 and fT3), and reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) in plasma and milk, as well as liver and mammary gland 5'-deiodinase (5'D) activity in dry, early, ..
- Hormones and metabolites of arctic foxes (Alopex lagopus) in response to season, starvation and re-feedingE Fuglei
Norwegian Polar Institute, N 9296, Tromso, Norway
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 126:287-94. 2000..in post-absorptive plasma thyroid hormones (free thyroxin (fT(4)), free triiodothyronine (fT(3)) and reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3))) and metabolites (free fatty-acids (FFA) and beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta-OHB)) with season and ..
- T3/rT3-ratio is associated with insulin resistance independent of TSHS Ruhla
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Horm Metab Res 43:130-4. 2011..peripheral thyroid hormone metabolism, which is assumed to be reflected by the ratio triiodothyronine/reverse triiodothyronine (T3/rT3-ratio)...
- Lowering of T3 and rise in reverse T3 induced by hyperglucagonemia: altered thyroid hormone metabolism, not altered release of thyroid hormonesU M Kabadi
VA Medical Center, Medical Service, Des Moines, Iowa
Horm Metab Res 19:486-9. 1987....
- Thyroid hormones levels in infants during and after cardiopulmonary bypass with ultrafiltrationR Bartkowski
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, K Marcinkowski University School of Medicine, ul Fredry 10, 61 701 Poznan, Poland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:879-84. 2002..The aim of this study was to find out if infants after cardiopulmonary bypass develop non-thyroidal illness and if illness severity after cardiopulmonary bypass depends on hormone concentration in ultrafiltrate...
- [Changes in serum thyroid hormones in acute cerebrovascular apoplexy and their clinical significance]R Hu
Department of Medicine, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University
Zhonghua Shen Jing Jing Shen Ke Za Zhi 23:87-9, 126. 1990..The determination of serum thyroid hormones would be useful in evaluating the severity of the strokes and in studying the thyroid function in acute cerebrovascular apoplexy...
- Effects of elevated thyroid hormone on adult rabbit extraocular musclesAndrew R Harrison
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:183-91. 2010....
- Immediate and dose-response related increase of biliary excretion of reverse triiodothyronine after propylthiouracil administrationP Langer
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava
Exp Clin Endocrinol 99:18-20. 1992..6 ml saline per hour) a significant increase of biliary excretion of reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) was found...
- Thyroid hormones regulate the frequency of miniature end-plate currents in pre- and prometamorphic stages of the tadpole tailLegier V Rojas
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe, and Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
J Neurosci Res 71:670-8. 2003..The present study demonstrated that T(3) induces a remarkable nongenomic action in the NMJ of the tadpole tail at pre- and promatamorphic stages...
- Effect of non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor on blood plasma ovarian steroid and thyroid hormones in laying hen (Gallus domesticus)A Sechman
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Agriculture, Al Mickiewicza 24 28, 30 059 Krakow, Poland
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 50:333-8. 2003....
- Thyroxine and reverse T3 5'deiodination in the cells of human adipose tissueC F Wolf
Abt Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik, Universitat Ulm, Donau, Germany
Thyroidology 3:47-50. 1991..5'D in adipocyte precursors and differentiated adipocytes is identical and iii. there is no difference between human cells and 3T3-L1-cells regarding 5'D...
- Neuroendocrinology of prolonged critical illness: effects of exogenous thyrotropin-releasing hormone and its combination with growth hormone secretagoguesG Van den Berghe
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:309-19. 1998....
- Validated ultra high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for quantitative analysis of total and free thyroid hormones in bovine serumJulie Anne Lucie Kiebooms
Ghent University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Public Health and Zoonoses, Laboratory of Chemical Analysis, Salisburylaan 133, Merelbeke 9820, Belgium
J Chromatogr A 1345:164-73. 2014..99) and lack-of-fit was proven for both fractions. In conclusion, these methods show excellent in-house performance and possibilities for elaboration to application in other animal sera (e.g. feline, canine, equine)...
- Antioxidant and thyroid hormone status in selenium-deficient phenylketonuric and hyperphenylalaninemic patientsM M van Bakel
University Hospital, Children s Clinic, Division of Metabolic Diseases, and the Chemical Central Laboratory, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 72:976-81. 2000..Selenium is a cofactor of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase and of the thyroid hormone converting enzyme thyroxine deiodinase...
- Characterization of the uridine diphosphate-glucuronosyltransferase-catalyzing thyroid hormone glucuronidation in manK A Findlay
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2879-83. 2000..Bioactive T3 is not significantly glucuronidated by these isoforms and other UGTs, and sulfotransferases may be involved...
- [Limits and relevance of the laboratory diagnosis of malnutrition in the elderly]Alexander Lapin
Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Sophienspital, Wien, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 156:142-8. 2006..In sum, the diagnosis and monitoring of malnutrition in the elderly represents an important challenge for laboratory medicine...
- Genetic variation in thyroid hormone pathway genes; polymorphisms in the TSH receptor and the iodothyronine deiodinasesRobin P Peeters
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 155:655-62. 2006..We discuss the possible consequences of these studies for the individual patient and also the new insights in thyroid hormone action that can be obtained from these data...
- Thyroid hormone in the treatment of post-transplant acute tubular necrosis (ATN)Christopher G Acker
Renal Electrolyte Division, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA, USA
Am J Transplant 2:57-61. 2002..Long-term graft function is impaired in patients who experience post-transplant DGF compared to those who have good initial function...
- Thyroid dysfunction in antiretroviral treated childrenAlessandra Vigano
University of Milan, L Sacco Hospital, L Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:235-9. 2004..A high rate of thyroid disorders has been described in HIV-infected adults treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), but data on children are lacking. We aimed to assess thyroid function in pediatric patients...
- Tetrabromobisphenol-A disrupts thyroid hormone receptor alpha function in vitro: use of fluorescence polarization to assay corepressor and coactivator peptide bindingMaya Lévy-Bimbot
Univ Paris Sud, Public Health Environment, UMR 8079, France
Chemosphere 87:782-8. 2012....
- Thyroid and boneApostolos I Gogakos
Molecular Endocrinology Group, Department of Medicine and MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, London W12 0NN, UK
Arch Biochem Biophys 503:129-36. 2010..Nevertheless, TSH has also been proposed to be a direct negative regulator of bone turnover, although the relative importance of T3 and TSH actions in the skeleton has yet to be clarified...
- Two-day inhalation toxicity study of methyl iodide in the ratMatthew W Himmelstein
E I Du Pont de Nemours and Company, Haskell Global Centers for Health and Environmental Sciences, Newark, Delaware 19714, USA
Inhal Toxicol 21:480-7. 2009..There was no change in either reverse triiodothyronine (rT(3)) or UDP-glucuronyltransferase activity at either exposure level...
- Avian MyoD and c-Jun coordinately induce transcriptional activity of the 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine nuclear receptor c-ErbAalpha1 in proliferating myoblastsMuriel Busson
Unité d Endocrinologie Cellulaire, Unité Mixte de Recherche Différenciation Cellulaire et Croissance, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 2 place Viala, 34060 Montpellier Cedex 1, France
Endocrinology 147:3408-18. 2006..These data suggest that in the absence of RXR, TRalpha1 transcriptional activity in myoblasts is mediated through a complex including MyoD and c-Jun...
- Enhanced non-esterified fatty acids and corticosterone in blood plasma of chickens treated with insulin are significantly depleted by reverse T: minor changes in hypoglycaemiaJ Niezgoda
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Agriculture, Al Mickiewicza 24 28, 30 059 Krakow, Poland
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 52:429-35. 2005..or adrenaline-induced hyperlipaemia in blood of chicken was significantly reduced after administration of reverse triiodothyronine (rT3)...
- [Total triiodothyronine (TT3), free triiodothyronine (FT3), reverse T3 (rT3)]Tamio Ieiri
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Dokkyo University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:258-62. 2005
- Non thyroidal illness: to treat or not to treat?R P Peeters
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Room Ee 502, 50, Dr Molewaterplein, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 68:224-8. 2007..Severity and duration of disease are related to the magnitude of these changes. This manuscript discusses whether these changes in thyroid hormone levels during critical illness should be treated, and was in part published elsewhere...
- Effects of substitution and high-dose thyroid hormone therapy on deiodination, sulfoconjugation, and tissue thyroid hormone levels in prolonged critically ill rabbitsYves Debaveye
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Endocrinology 149:4218-28. 2008..This indicates thyroid hormone hypermetabolism, which in this model of critical illness is not entirely explained by deiodination or by sulfoconjugation...
- Exploring the use of recombinant human TSH in the diagnosis of central hypothyroidismHelena Filipsson
Department of Endocrinology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Grona Straket 8, SE 41345 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Endocrinol 159:153-60. 2008..The diagnosis of central hypothyroidism (CH) is often difficult to establish as serum TSH levels may be low, normal, or slightly increased...
- Massive hepatic hemangioendothelioma and consumptive hypothyroidismFrances Mouat
The Liggins Institute, The University ofAuckland, New Zealand
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 21:701-3. 2008..Large doses of thyroxine were initially required to normalise TSH. Thyroxine was tapered as the tumor regressed and was discontinued at 16 months old. Thyroid function remains normal without treatment...
- Transport of thyroxine and 3,3',5-triiodothyronine in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsW Edward Visser
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 150:1552-7. 2009..Possible candidates may be widely expressed Na(+)-independent transporter proteins...
- Molecular dynamics simulations of ligand dissociation from thyroid hormone receptors: evidence of the likeliest escape pathway and its implications for the design of novel ligandsLeandro Martinez
Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP Cx P 6154, Campinas, SP 13084 862, Brazil
J Med Chem 49:23-6. 2006..Dissociation is facilitated in this path by the interaction of the hydrophilic part of the ligand with external water molecules, suggesting strategies to enhance ligand binding affinity...
- Comparison of methimazole, methimazole and sodium ipodate, and methimazole and saturated solution of potassium iodide in the early treatment of hyperthyroid Graves' diseaseE Roti
Cattedra di Endocrinologia e Patologia Costituzienale, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 28:305-14. 1988....
- Is the low tri-iodothyronine state a crucial factor in determining the outcome of coronary artery bypass patients? Evidence from a clinical pilot studyL Sabatino
Institute of Clinical Physiology, National Council of Research CNR, Via Moruzzi 1, San Cataldo, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Endocrinol 175:577-86. 2002....
- Characterization of uptake and compartmentalization of 3,5,3'-tri-iodothyronine in cultured neonatal rat cardiomyocytesH H van der Putten
Department of Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology, Utrecht University, PO Box 80157, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Endocrinol 171:183-92. 2001..Elucidation of the molecular basis for the T(3) transporter is the subject of current investigation...
- Induced illness in interleukin-6 (IL-6) knock-out mice: a causal role of IL-6 in the development of the low 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine syndromeA Boelen
Department of Endocrinology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 137:5250-4. 1996..In conclusion, acutely induced illness generates the low T3 syndrome, which is less marked in IL-6 knock-out mice than in wild-type mice. The data suggest a causal role of IL-6 in the development of the low T3 syndrome...
- Correlation between the effects of rT3 and IMP dehydrogenase inhibitors on normal and trisomic 21 lymphocyte culturesM Peeters
Centre de Recherches Génétique Humaine et Maladies de l Intelligence, Institut de Progenèse, Paris
Ann Genet 32:211-3. 1989..The finding suggests that rT3 may be a physiological modulator of inosine monophosphate dehydrogenase. The implications on cellular differentiation are discussed...
- Hormonal changes associated with the transition between nursing and natural fasting in northern elephant seals (Mirounga angustirostris)Rudy M Ortiz
Department of Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 130:78-83. 2003....
- Development and evaluation of a reference measurement procedure for the determination of total 3,3',5-triiodothyronine in human serum using isotope-dilution liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometrySusan S C Tai
Analytical Chemistry Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899 8392, USA
Anal Chem 76:5092-6. 2004....
- Can the type of variant albumin in familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia be determined by measuring iodothyronines in serum?J Takamatsu
First Department of Medicine, Osaka Medical College
Endocrinol Jpn 37:389-95. 1990..Since a number of factors, including the relative abundance of the variant albumin, influence the concentration of iodothyronines in serum, their measurement alone cannot be used to determine the inherited type of DH...
- [Thyroid function after iodine-containing contrast agent administration in coronary angiography: a prospective study of euthyroid patients]W J Fassbender
Z Kardiol 90:751-9. 2001..However, thyroid function parameters are significantly altered after coronary angiography independent of antibody status and the amount of contrast agent given, but dependent on thyroid morphology...
- [Pre- and post-operative changes in serum levels of glycocholic acid and 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine and their clinical significance in patients with cholelithiasis]M Hu
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Second Affiliated Hospital, Hunan Medical University, Changsha
Hunan Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 22:162-4. 1997....
- Type 3 Iodothyronine Deiodinase in Infantile HemangiomasStephen Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..P. Reed Larsen, the candidate will receive training in molecular biology and clinical thyroidology with the goal of becoming an independent investigator and an expert in the management of pediatric thyroid disease. ..
- Regulation of the human Dio3 geneStephen A Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..physiologic inactivator of thyroid hormone, catalyzing the inner-ring deiodination of thyroxine (T4) to reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) and triiodothyronine (T3) to 3,3'- diiodothyronine (T2), both of which are biologically ..
- Stress Responses, Psychosocial Stress and Pain Perception in African AmericansSusan S Girdler; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal is intended to forge new territory in the development of a bio-behavioral model relating to the development of clinical pain in African Americans. Project Description ..