Genomes and Genes
Summary: A polypeptide hormone (84 amino acid residues) secreted by the PARATHYROID GLANDS which performs the essential role of maintaining intracellular CALCIUM levels in the body. Parathyroid hormone increases intracellular calcium by promoting the release of CALCIUM from BONE, increases the intestinal absorption of calcium, increases the renal tubular reabsorption of calcium, and increases the renal excretion of phosphates.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications383 found, 100 shown here
- Osteoblastic cells regulate the haematopoietic stem cell nicheL M Calvi
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Center for Human Genetics and Molecular Pediatric Disease, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Nature 425:841-6. 2003..Furthermore, ligand-dependent activation of PPR with parathyroid hormone (PTH) increased the number of osteoblasts in stromal cultures, and augmented ex vivo primitive ..
- Mineral metabolism, mortality, and morbidity in maintenance hemodialysisGeoffrey A Block
Denver Nephrology Associates, Denver Colorado, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:2208-18. 2004..death were calculated for categories of serum phosphorus, calcium, calcium x phosphorus product, and intact parathyroid hormone (PTH) using proportional hazards regression...
- Survival of patients undergoing hemodialysis with paricalcitol or calcitriol therapyMing Teng
Fresenius Medical Care North America, Lexington, Mass, USA
N Engl J Med 349:446-56. 2003..Paricalcitol, a new vitamin D analogue, appears to lessen the elevations in serum calcium and phosphorus levels, as compared with calcitriol, the standard form of injectable vitamin D...
- Prevalence of abnormal serum vitamin D, PTH, calcium, and phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease: results of the study to evaluate early kidney diseaseA Levin
Department of Nephrology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Kidney Int 71:31-8. 2007..Blood for parathyroid hormone (PTH), vitamin D metabolites, creatinine, calcium (Ca), and phosphorus (P) were drawn between June and ..
- Serum levels of phosphorus, parathyroid hormone, and calcium and risks of death and cardiovascular disease in individuals with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysisSuetonia C Palmer
Department of Medicine, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
JAMA 305:1119-27. 2011Clinical practice guidelines on the management of mineral and bone disorders due to chronic kidney disease recommend specific treatment target levels for serum phosphorus, parathyroid hormone, and calcium.
- HyperparathyroidismWilliam D Fraser
Unit of Clinical Chemistry, School of Clinical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Lancet 374:145-58. 2009..activity of the parathyroid glands, either from an intrinsic abnormal change altering excretion of parathyroid hormone (primary or tertiary hyperparathyroidism) or from an extrinsic abnormal change affecting calcium ..
- Vitamin D levels and early mortality among incident hemodialysis patientsM Wolf
Renal Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 72:1004-13. 2007..Calcium, phosphorus, and parathyroid hormone levels correlated poorly with 25D and 1,25D concentrations...
- Activated injectable vitamin D and hemodialysis survival: a historical cohort studyMing Teng
Fresenius Medical Care North America, Lexington, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1115-25. 2005..vitamin D was evident in 48 of 49 strata examined, including those with low serum levels of intact parathyroid hormone and elevated levels of serum calcium and phosphorus, situations in which injectable vitamin D is often ..
- Mortality risk for dialysis patients with different levels of serum calcium, phosphorus, and PTH: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS)Francesca Tentori
Arbor Research Collaborative for Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48103, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 52:519-30. 2008Abnormalities in serum calcium, phosphorus, and parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentrations are common in patients with chronic kidney disease and have been associated with increased morbidity and mortality...
- Survival predictability of time-varying indicators of bone disease in maintenance hemodialysis patientsK Kalantar-Zadeh
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California 90502, USA
Kidney Int 70:771-80. 2006..Associations between high serum parathyroid hormone and increased death risk were masked by case-mix characteristics of MHD patients...
- Association of elevated serum PO(4), Ca x PO(4) product, and parathyroid hormone with cardiac mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patientsS K Ganesh
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48103, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:2131-8. 2001..07 per 10 mg(2)/dl(2); P < 0.005) and serum parathyroid hormone levels greater than 495 pg/ml (RR 1.25; P < 0.05)...
- Low vitamin D and high parathyroid hormone levels as determinants of loss of muscle strength and muscle mass (sarcopenia): the Longitudinal Aging Study AmsterdamMarjolein Visser
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5766-72. 2003..05-5.28) based on muscle mass. The associations were similar in men and women. The results of this prospective, population-based study show that lower 25-OHD and higher PTH levels increase the risk of sarcopenia in older men and women...
- Plasma fibroblast growth factor 23, parathyroid hormone, phosphorus, and risk of coronary heart diseaseEric N Taylor
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am Heart J 161:956-62. 2011Fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23), parathyroid hormone (PTH), and phosphorus all have been proposed as plasma biomarkers for the development of coronary heart disease (CHD) in individuals with normal renal function.
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 is elevated before parathyroid hormone and phosphate in chronic kidney diseaseTamara Isakova
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Kidney Int 79:1370-8. 2011..Mean serum phosphate and median parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels were in the normal range, but median FGF23 was markedly greater than in healthy populations, ..
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among healthy adolescentsCatherine M Gordon
Division of Adolescent Young Adult Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:531-7. 2004....
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and cardiovascular events among older adultsBryan Kestenbaum
Kidney Research Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:1433-41. 2011The aim of this study was to evaluate associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) and parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentrations separately and in combination with incident cardiovascular events and mortality during 14 years of follow-up ..
- Mechanical loading enhances the anabolic effects of intermittent parathyroid hormone (1-34) on trabecular and cortical bone in miceToshihiro Sugiyama
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, The Royal Veterinary College, University of London, Royal College Street, London NW1 0TU, UK
Bone 43:238-48. 2008The separate and combined effects of intermittent parathyroid hormone (iPTH) (1-34) and mechanical loading were assessed at trabecular and cortical sites of mouse long bones...
- Effects of a short-term vitamin D(3) and calcium supplementation on blood pressure and parathyroid hormone levels in elderly womenM Pfeifer
Institute of Clinical Osteology Gustav Pommer, Clinic DER FURSTENHOF, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1633-7. 2001..Inadequate vitamin D(3) and calcium intake could play a contributory role in the pathogenesis and progression of hypertension and cardiovascular disease in elderly women...
- Nonclassic actions of vitamin DDaniel Bikle
Veterans Affairs Medical Center 111N, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:26-34. 2009..This review was intended to highlight the actions of 1,25(OH)(2)D in several of these tissues but starts with a review of vitamin D production, metabolism, and molecular mechanism...
- Targeted ablation of Fgf23 demonstrates an essential physiological role of FGF23 in phosphate and vitamin D metabolismTakashi Shimada
Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Kirin Brewery Co, Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
J Clin Invest 113:561-8. 2004..These phenotypes could not be explained by currently known regulators of mineral homeostasis, indicating that FGF23 is essential for normal phosphate and vitamin D metabolism...
- Cinacalcet for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients receiving hemodialysisGeoffrey A Block
Denver Nephrologists, Denver, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1516-25. 2004..Calcimimetics target the calcium-sensing receptor and lower parathyroid hormone levels without increasing calcium and phosphorus levels...
- Predictors and consequences of altered mineral metabolism: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns StudyEric W Young
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Division of Nephrology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Kidney Int 67:1179-87. 2005..Altered mineral metabolism contributes to bone disease, cardiovascular disease, and other clinical problems in patients with end-stage renal disease...
- The prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy amongst women with osteoporosis: an international epidemiological investigationP Lips
Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Nottingham City Hospital, David Evans Medical Research Centre, UK
J Intern Med 260:245-54. 2006..A high prevalence of inadequacy has been reported in many studies but the prevalence of inadequacy amongst women with osteoporosis in different regions of the world has not been well characterized...
- Vitamin D status and its adequacy in healthy Danish perimenopausal women: relationships to dietary intake, sun exposure and serum parathyroid hormoneC Brot
Osteoporosis Research Clinic, Dep 545, Copenhagen University Hospital Hvidovre, Kettegaard Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Br J Nutr 86:S97-103. 2001..vitamin D intake on the concentration of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) and to examine the association between parathyroid hormone (PTH) and 25OHD...
- Indoxyl sulfate induces skeletal resistance to parathyroid hormone in cultured osteoblastic cellsT Nii-Kono
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Kidney Int 71:738-43. 2007Skeletal resistance to parathyroid hormone (PTH) is well known to the phenomenon in chronic renal failure patient, but the detailed mechanism has not been elucidated...
- Regulation of beta catenin signaling and parathyroid hormone anabolic effects in bone by the matricellular protein periostinNicolas Bonnet
Division of Bone Diseases, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Osteoporosis Prevention, Geneva University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva 14, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:15048-53. 2012..preferentially expressed by osteocytes and periosteal osteoblasts in response to mechanical stimulation and parathyroid hormone (PTH). Whether and how periostin expression influences bone anabolism, however, remains unknown...
- Relationship between vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and bone healthA J Sai
Bone Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Creighton University Medical Center, 601 North 30 Street, Suite 6718, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E436-46. 2011..There is a controversy regarding the definition of vitamin D insufficiency as it relates to bone health...
- Aldosterone and parathyroid hormone: a precarious couple for cardiovascular diseaseAndreas Tomaschitz
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, 8036 Graz, Austria
Cardiovasc Res 94:10-9. 2012Animal and human studies support a clinically relevant interaction between aldosterone and parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels and suggest an impact of the interaction on cardiovascular (CV) health...
- Combined therapy with cinacalcet and low doses of vitamin D sterols in patients with moderate to severe secondary hyperparathyroidismGeoffrey A Block
Denver Nephrologists, Denver, CO 80230, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2311-8. 2008..KDOQI biochemical targets for chronic kidney disease, bone and mineral disorder (CKD-MBD), which include parathyroid hormone (PTH), calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P) and Ca x P, remains difficult and is accomplished in <6% of patients ..
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and mortality in older menPeggy M Cawthon
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94107 1762, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4625-34. 2010..Low 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] and high PTH may contribute to increased mortality risk in older adults...
- No associations between serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone and depression among US adultsGuixiang Zhao
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Br J Nutr 104:1696-702. 2010..study aimed to examine the associations between serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) and parathyroid hormone (PTH) and the presence of depression among US adults...
- Calcitriol and doxercalciferol are equivalent in controlling bone turnover, suppressing parathyroid hormone, and increasing fibroblast growth factor-23 in secondary hyperparathyroidismKatherine Wesseling-Perry
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Kidney Int 79:112-9. 2011..well by both binders, but serum calcium levels increased during treatment with calcium carbonate, and serum parathyroid hormone levels were decreased by 35% in all groups...
- Parathyroid hormone and teriparatide for the treatment of osteoporosis: a review of the evidence and suggested guidelines for its useAnthony B Hodsman
University of Western Ontario, St Joseph s Health Care, Room 2F 15, 268, Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario N6A 4V2, Canada
Endocr Rev 26:688-703. 2005..At present, concurrent therapy with antiresorptive therapy, particularly bisphosphonates, should be avoided, although sequential therapy with such agents may consolidate the beneficial effects upon the skeleton after PTH is discontinued...
- Pathogenic role of Fgf23 in Hyp miceShiguang Liu
The Kidney Institute, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E38-49. 2006..These results suggest that Fgf23 acts downstream of Phex to cause both the renal and bone phenotypes in Hyp mice...
- Paricalcitol attenuates renal interstitial fibrosis in obstructive nephropathyXiaoyue Tan
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:3382-93. 2006..These studies suggest that paricalcitol is able to ameliorate renal interstitial fibrosis in obstructive nephropathy, possibly by preserving tubular epithelial integrity through suppression of EMT...
- PTH increases FGF23 gene expression and mediates the high-FGF23 levels of experimental kidney failure: a bone parathyroid feedback loopVardit Lavi-Moshayoff
Minerva Center for Calcium and Bone Metabolism, Nephrology Services, Hadassah Hebrew Univ Medical Center, PO Box 12000, Jerusalem, Israel 91120
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F882-9. 2010b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) and fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) target the kidney to cause a phosphaturia...
- Fibroblast growth factor-23 relationship to dietary phosphate and renal phosphate handling in healthy young menSerge L Ferrari
Service of Bone Diseases, Geneva University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1519-24. 2005..These data suggest that FGF-23 may be implicated in the physiological regulation of Pi homeostasis in response to dietary phosphate changes, independent of PTH...
- Depression is associated with decreased 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased parathyroid hormone levels in older adultsWitte J G Hoogendijk
Research Institute Neurosciences and the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research, VU University Medical Center, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, A J Ernststraat 887, 1081 HL, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:508-12. 2008Depression has incidentally been related to altered levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] and parathyroid hormone (PTH), but this relation has never been studied systematically.
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older European menDavid M Lee
ARC Epidemiology Unit, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 161:947-54. 2009Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) and elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels have been linked to insulin resistance, the metabolic syndrome (MetS) and its components...
- Parathyroid hormone level is associated with mortality and cardiovascular events in patients undergoing coronary angiographyStefan Pilz
Division of Endocrinology and Nuclear Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, 8036 Graz, Austria
Eur Heart J 31:1591-8. 2010Elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels have been associated with increased cardiovascular risk in the general population...
- Regulation of C-terminal and intact FGF-23 by dietary phosphate in men and womenSherri Ann M Burnett
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:1187-96. 2006..Dietary phosphate is a key regulator of circulating FGF-23; choice of assay is critical when studying FGF-23 physiology...
- The parathyroid is a target organ for FGF23 in ratsIddo Z Ben-Dov
Minerva Center for Calcium and Bone Metabolism, Nephrology Services, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Invest 117:4003-8. 2007..Using both rats and in vitro rat parathyroid cultures, we show that FGF23 suppressed both parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion and PTH gene expression...
- Secondary hyperparathyroidism is associated with higher mortality in men with moderate to severe chronic kidney diseaseC P Kovesdy
Division of Nephrology, Salem Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salem, Virginia 24153, USA
Kidney Int 73:1296-302. 2008..Relationships between intact parathyroid hormone levels and all-cause mortality along with the composite of mortality or incidence of dialysis were measured ..
- The peptidyl-prolyl isomerase Pin1 determines parathyroid hormone mRNA levels and stability in rat models of secondary hyperparathyroidismMorris Nechama
Minerva Center for Calcium and Bone Metabolism, Nephrology Services, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Invest 119:3102-14. 2009..In experimental models of secondary hyperparathyroidism induced by hypocalcemia or CKD, parathyroid hormone (PTH) mRNA levels increase due to increased PTH mRNA stability...
- Mortality risk among hemodialysis patients receiving different vitamin D analogsF Tentori
Dialysis Clinic Inc, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Kidney Int 70:1858-65. 2006..2 (1.1-1.3)). Mortality in doxercalciferol- and paricalcitol-treated patients was virtually identical. Differences in survival between vitamin D2 and D3 may be smaller than previously reported...
- Paricalcitol versus cinacalcet plus low-dose vitamin D therapy for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients receiving haemodialysis: results of the IMPACT SHPT studyMarkus Ketteler
Division of Nephrology, Klinikum Coburg, Coburg, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:3270-8. 2012..whether dose-titrated paricalcitol plus supplemental cinacalcet only for hypercalcaemia is superior to cinacalcet plus low-dose vitamin D in controlling intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels in patients with SHPT on haemodialysis.
- No difference between alfacalcidol and paricalcitol in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in hemodialysis patients: a randomized crossover trialDitte Hansen
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Roskilde Hospital, Roskilde, Denmark
Kidney Int 80:841-50. 2011..patients received increasing intravenous doses of either alfacalcidol or paricalcitol for 16 weeks, until parathyroid hormone was adequately suppressed or calcium or phosphate levels reached an upper threshold...
- Current perspectives on parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related protein (PTHrP) as bone anabolic therapiesPedro Esbrit
Laboratorio de Metabolismo Mineral y Oseo, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 85:1417-23. 2013..therapeutic approach for osteoporosis is currently available, based on the intermittent administration of parathyroid hormone (PTH)...
- Vitamin D and muscle functionM Pfeifer
Institute of Clinical Osteology Gustav Pommer and Clinic Der Füirstenhof, Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Osteoporos Int 13:187-94. 2002..Given the strong interdependency of vitamin D deficiency, low serum calcium and high levels of parathyroid hormone, however, it is difficult to identify exact mechanisms of action.
- Oral active vitamin D is associated with improved survival in hemodialysis patientsManuel Naves-Díaz
Bone and Mineral Research Unit, Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Instituto Reina Sofia de Investigacion, REDinREN del ISCIII, Universidad de Oviedo, Julian Claveria s n, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Kidney Int 74:1070-8. 2008..D in 36 of the 37 strata studied including that with the highest levels of serum calcium, phosphorus and parathyroid hormone. The survival benefit of oral active vitamin D was seen in those patients receiving mean daily doses of ..
- Change in undercarboxylated osteocalcin is associated with changes in body weight, fat mass, and adiponectin: parathyroid hormone (1-84) or alendronate therapy in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis (the PaTH study)Anne L Schafer
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E1982-9. 2011..The undercarboxylated form of the osteoblast-secreted protein osteocalcin has favorable effects on fat and glucose metabolism in mice. In human subjects, cross-sectional studies suggest a relevant association...
- Parathyroid cell resistance to fibroblast growth factor 23 in secondary hyperparathyroidism of chronic kidney diseaseH Galitzer
Department of Nephrology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Kidney Int 77:211-8. 2010Although fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) acting through its receptor Klotho-FGFR1c decreases parathyroid hormone expression, this hormone is increased in chronic kidney disease despite an elevated serum FGF23...
- Vitamin D and hyperparathyroidism in obesityElizabeth Grethen
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5111, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:1320-6. 2011..Low vitamin D status and hyperparathyroidism occur in obesity and may be involved in pathogenesis of obesity-associated comorbid conditions...
- Existing and potentially novel functional markers of vitamin D status: a systematic reviewKelly M Seamans
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1997S-2008S. 2009..Although serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] is the currently accepted vitamin D status marker of choice, use of other biomarkers or functional endpoints have been suggested...
- Fibroblast growth factor-23 regulates parathyroid hormone and 1alpha-hydroxylase expression in cultured bovine parathyroid cellsTijana Krajisnik
Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
J Endocrinol 195:125-31. 2007..Recent studies also suggest a correlation between serum levels of FGF23 and parathyroid hormone (PTH) in patients with chronic kidney disease...
- Association of leptin, 25-hydroxyvitamin D, and parathyroid hormone in womenMicah Maetani
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Nutr Cancer 61:225-31. 2009..The association between elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH) and low 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OH-VitD) in plasma is used to define vitamin D deficiency, yet their ..
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone levels, and the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in community-dwelling older adultsJared P Reis
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0607, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1549-55. 2007..with an increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome; however, previous studies have not accounted for parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels...
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among healthy Saudi Arabian men: relationship to bone mineral density, parathyroid hormone, bone turnover markers, and lifestyle factorsM S M Ardawi
Center of Excellence for Osteoporosis Research, King Abdulaziz University, P O Box 20724, Jeddah 21465, Saudi Arabia
Osteoporos Int 23:675-86. 2012..8% among Saudi Arabian men. There was a linear inverse relationship between serum 25(OH)D and intact parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels, but without a threshold of 25(OH)D at which intact PTH values plateaued.
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels in relation to blood pressure in a cross-sectional study in older Chinese menR Chan
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR
J Hum Hypertens 26:20-7. 2012Vitamin D status, parathyroid hormone (PTH) level and their associations with blood pressure in Chinese population are unknown. This study examined these associations in older Chinese men...
- Plasma parathyroid hormone and risk of congestive heart failure in the communityEmil Hagström
Uppsala Clinical Research Center, Uppsala University, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Heart Fail 12:1186-92. 2010In experimental studies parathyroid hormone (PTH) has been associated with underlying causes of heart failure (HF) such as atherosclerosis, left ventricular hypertrophy, and myocardial fibrosis...
- Selected reaction monitoring-mass spectrometric immunoassay responsive to parathyroid hormone and related variantsMary F Lopez
ThermoFisher Scientific BRIMS, Cambridge, MA, USA
Clin Chem 56:281-90. 2010b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) assays able to distinguish between full-length PTH (PTH1-84) and N-terminally truncated PTH (PTH7-84) are of increasing significance in the accurate diagnosis of endocrine and osteological diseases...
- Impact of treatments for postmenopausal osteoporosis (bisphosphonates, parathyroid hormone, strontium ranelate, and denosumab) on bone quality: a systematic reviewS J Gallacher
Southern General Hospital, 1345 Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 4TF, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 87:469-84. 2010..of this systematic review was to examine the influence of treatments for postmenopausal osteoporosis (parathyroid hormone [PTH], bisphosphonates, strontium ranelate, and denosumab) on bone quality and discuss the clinical ..
- Calcium, phosphorus, PTH and death rates in a large sample of dialysis patients from Latin America. The CORES StudyManuel Naves-Díaz
Bone and Mineral Research Unit, Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Universidad de Oviedo, Julian Claveria s n, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1938-47. 2011..Mineral metabolism parameters may play a role in the survival of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Back to the future: revisiting parathyroid hormone and calcitonin control of bone remodelingF J A de Paula
Center for Clinical and Translational Research, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Scarborough, ME 04074 7205, USA
Horm Metab Res 42:299-306. 2010..By reopening lines of basic and clinical investigation and applying those findings at the bedside, we hope to restart the cycle of translational research in this area...
- Calcium, phosphorus, parathyroid hormone, and cardiovascular disease in hemodialysis patients: the USRDS waves 1, 3, and 4 studyYelena Slinin
United States Renal Data System Coordinating Center, 914 South 8th Street, Suite D 253, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1788-93. 2005..9, 41.0 to 50.1, 50.2 to 59.2, 59.3 to 71.0, and >71.0 mg(2)/dl(2); and parathyroid hormone (PTH), </=37, 38 to 99, 100 to 210, 211 to 480, and >480 pg/ml...
- Suppression of Wnt signaling by Dkk1 attenuates PTH-mediated stromal cell response and new bone formationJun Guo
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell Metab 11:161-71. 2010b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) suppresses Dickkopf 1 (Dkk1) expression in osteoblasts...
- Changes in serum calcium, phosphate, and PTH and the risk of death in incident dialysis patients: a longitudinal studyM L Melamed
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Kidney Int 70:351-7. 2006..There are conflicting data about calcium, parathyroid hormone (PTH), and mortality and few data about changes in bone mineral parameters over time...
- Comparison of the action of transient and continuous PTH on primary osteoblast cultures expressing differentiation stage-specific GFPYu Hsiung Wang
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06030 1610, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:5-14. 2005..This system was validated by assessing the effect of PTH on osteoblast growth in real time. The anabolic effect of PTH seemed to be the result of enhanced osteoblast differentiation rather than expansion of a progenitor population...
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone levels and bone mineral density in community-dwelling older women: the Rancho Bernardo StudyDenise G Von Muhlen
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:1721-6. 2005..Low levels of serum calcium stimulate the secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH), which maintains serum calcium levels at the expense of increased bone turnover, bone loss and ..
- Vitamin D status and muscle function in post-menarchal adolescent girlsKate A Ward
Imaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:559-63. 2009..There has been a resurgence of vitamin D deficiency among infants, toddlers, and adolescents in the United Kingdom. Myopathy is an important clinical symptom of vitamin D deficiency, yet it has not been widely studied...
- Relationship between serum parathyroid hormone levels, vitamin D sufficiency, and calcium intakeLaufey Steingrimsdottir
Public Health Institute of Iceland
JAMA 294:2336-41. 2005..Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is the generally accepted indicator of vitamin D status, but no universal reference level has been reached...
- Serum iPTH, calcium and phosphate, and the risk of mortality in a European haemodialysis populationJurgen Floege
Div Nephrology, RWTH University of Aachen, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1948-55. 2011A number of US observational studies reported an increased mortality risk with higher intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH), calcium and/or phosphate...
- Increased incidence of hip fractures in dialysis patients with low serum parathyroid hormoneM Coco
Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 36:1115-21. 2000..When parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels were evaluated, we determined that patients with lower serum PTH levels were more likely to ..
- Meta-analysis: vitamin D compounds in chronic kidney diseaseSuetonia C Palmer
Department of Medicine, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Ann Intern Med 147:840-53. 2007..Vitamin D compounds are widely used to prevent and treat secondary hyperparathyroidism...
- Direct evidence for a causative role of FGF23 in the abnormal renal phosphate handling and vitamin D metabolism in rats with early-stage chronic kidney diseaseHisashi Hasegawa
Innovative Drug Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kirin, Tokyo, Japan
Kidney Int 78:975-80. 2010..Without antibody treatment, rats with CKD exhibited high circulating levels of FGF23 and parathyroid hormone, low 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, and normal serum phosphate levels, accompanied by increased fractional ..
- Plasma parathyroid hormone and the risk of cardiovascular mortality in the communityEmil Hagström
Uppsala Clinical Research Center, Uppsala University, Sweden
Circulation 119:2765-71. 2009Diseases with elevated levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) such as primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism are associated with increased incidence of cardiovascular disease and death...
- Inhibition of Sca-1-positive skeletal stem cell recruitment by alendronate blunts the anabolic effects of parathyroid hormone on bone remodelingXiangwei Wu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell Stem Cell 7:571-80. 2010The anabolic effects of parathyroid hormone (PTH) on bone formation are impaired by concurrent use of antiresorptive drugs...
- Independent associations of serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone with blood pressure among US adultsGuixiang Zhao
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Hypertens 28:1821-8. 2010Vitamin D deficiency or high levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) appear to be emerging risk factors for hypertension...
- Early control of PTH and FGF23 in normophosphatemic CKD patients: a new target in CKD-MBD therapy?Rodrigo B Oliveira
Nephrology Department, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:286-91. 2010Levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) and the phosphaturic hormone FGF23, a fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family member, increase early in chronic kidney disease (CKD) before the occurrence of hyperphosphatemia...
- Associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, parathyroid hormone and calcium with cardiovascular risk factors: analysis of 3 NHANES cycles (2001-2006)Abigail Fraser
Department of Social Medicine, Medical Research Council Centre for Causal Analyses in Translational Epidemiology, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e13882. 2010..25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D), parathyroid hormone (PTH), and calcium may be directly associated with cardiovascular risk factors or mediated by each other.
- Neuropsychological function in relation to serum parathyroid hormone and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. The Tromsø studyRolf Jorde
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
J Neurol 253:464-70. 2006There are receptors for parathyroid hormone (PTH) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in the brain, and there are clinical and experimental data indicating that PTH and vitamin D may affect cerebral function...
- The natural history of primary hyperparathyroidism with or without parathyroid surgery after 15 yearsMishaela R Rubin
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3462-70. 2008..We previously reported that calciotropic indices and bone mineral density (BMD) are stable in untreated patients for up to a decade, whereas after parathyroidectomy, normalization of biochemistries and increases in BMD ensue...
- Dietary phosphorus regulates serum fibroblast growth factor-23 concentrations in healthy menDiana M Antoniucci
University of California San Francisco, 533 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0748, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3144-9. 2006..Restriction of the dietary intake of phosphorus increases renal phosphate reabsorption and 1,25(OH)(2)D production, whereas the opposite occurs when dietary phosphorus is supplemented...
- Validity and limits of intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring during minimally invasive parathyroidectomy: a 10-year experienceAlexandra Ozimek
Chirurgische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Surg Endosc 24:3156-60. 2010The availability of intraoperative intact parathyroid hormone monitoring allows the success of minimally invasive parathyroidectomy to be ensured during the operation...
- Enhanced excretion of vitamin D binding protein in type 1 diabetes: a role in vitamin D deficiency?Kathryn M Thrailkill
Department of Pediatrics, Arkansas Children s Hospital, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:142-9. 2011..Vitamin D deficiency is an increasingly recognized comorbidity in patients with both type 1 (T1D) and type 2 diabetes, particularly associated with the presence of diabetic nephropathy...
- The serum 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D concentration, a marker of vitamin D catabolism, is reduced in chronic kidney diseaseCortney R Bosworth
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Kidney Research Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Kidney Int 82:693-700. 2012..The 24,25(OH)(2)D concentration was more strongly correlated with that of parathyroid hormone than was 25(OH)D or 1,25(OH)(2)D...
- Intermittent parathyroid hormone administration converts quiescent lining cells to active osteoblastsSang Wan Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Boramae Hospital, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Bone Miner Res 27:2075-84. 2012Intermittent administration of parathyroid hormone (PTH) increases bone mass, at least in part, by increasing the number of osteoblasts...
- Engineering of a Pichia pastoris expression system for secretion of high amounts of intact human parathyroid hormoneRandi Vad
Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, P O Box 1041 Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Biotechnol 116:251-60. 2005Human parathyroid hormone (hPTH) is involved in calcium metabolism, and the unique ability of this hormone to stimulate bone growth makes it a promising agent in the treatment of osteoporosis...
- Evidence of associations between feto-maternal vitamin D status, cord parathyroid hormone and bone-specific alkaline phosphatase, and newborn whole body bone mineral contentDaphna K Dror
USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, 430 W Health Sciences Dr, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Nutrients 4:68-77. 2012..of vitamin D inadequacy in pregnant women and neonates, relationships among vitamin D status (25(OH)D), parathyroid hormone (PTH), bone specific alkaline phosphatase (BALP), and whole body bone mineral content (WBBMC) in the ..
- Calcium balance in normal individuals and in patients with chronic kidney disease on low- and high-calcium dietsDavid M Spiegel
University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Kidney Int 81:1116-22. 2012..Increased calcium intake significantly decreased 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D and intact parathyroid hormone levels but did not alter the serum calcium concentration...
- Connexin43 interacts with βarrestin: a pre-requisite for osteoblast survival induced by parathyroid hormoneNicoletta Bivi
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5120, USA
J Cell Biochem 112:2920-30. 2011b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) promotes osteoblast survival through a mechanism that depends on cAMP-mediated signaling downstream of the G protein-coupled receptor PTHR1...
- Parathyroid hormone, vitamin D, renal dysfunction, and cardiovascular disease: dependent or independent risk factors?Jeffrey L Anderson
Cardiovascular Department, Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, UT 84107 5701, USA
Am Heart J 162:331-339.e2. 2011..b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is an important regulator of calcium homeostasis, and its impact on CV disease risk is of interest...
- High-dose oral vitamin D3 supplementation in the elderlyC J Bacon
Department of Medicine, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Osteoporos Int 20:1407-15. 2009..With baseline 25OHD > 50 nmol/L, vitamin D supplementation does not reduce PTH levels...
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and sudden cardiac death: results from the Cardiovascular Health StudyRajat Deo
Section of Electrophysiology, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Hypertension 58:1021-8. 2011..of cardiovascular events and mortality among persons who have lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) and higher parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels...
- Direct and indirect effects of parathyroid hormone on circulating levels of fibroblast growth factor 23 in vivoIgnacio Lopez
Department of Medicina y Cirugia Animal, Universidad de Cordoba, and Unidad de Investigacion, Servicio de Nefrología Red in Ren, Hospital Universitario Reina Sofia IMIBIC, Cordoba, Spain
Kidney Int 80:475-82. 2011..To study the effect of parathyroid hormone (PTH) on FGF23, rats were parathyroidectomized for a week and then implanted with constant-delivery ..
- Associations of vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and calcium with cardiovascular risk factors in US adolescentsDylan M Williams
School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, 39 Whatley Road, Bristol BS8 2PS, UK
Heart 97:315-20. 2011To examine independent associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D), parathyroid hormone (PTH) and calcium with a range of cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents.
- The regulation of parathyroid hormone secretion and synthesisRajiv Kumar
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Departments of Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 200 1 Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:216-24. 2011..Understanding the mechanisms by which parathyroid hormone (PTH) synthesis and secretion are normally regulated is important in devising methods to regulate ..
- Acute effects of 2 hours of moderate-intensity cycling on serum parathyroid hormone and calciumDaniel W Barry
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Campus Stop B 179, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 80:359-65. 2007Previous studies have found that serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) increases in response to relatively short (<60 minutes), intense bouts of exercise, possibly as a result of decreases in serum calcium...
- A patient with MEN1-associated hyperparathyroidism, responsive to cinacalcetAlberto Falchetti
University Hospital of Careggi, Florence, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 4:351-7. 2008..MEN1 was confirmed by analysis of the MEN1 gene, which revealed a 1555insG frameshift mutation. In 2006 serum calcium and parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels were again found to be high.
- Variability of parathyroid hormone and other markers of bone mineral metabolism in patients receiving hemodialysisClare Gardham
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road, Canterbury, Kent CT1 3NG, United Kingdom
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1261-7. 2010..of mineral bone disorder in patients with kidney failure is guided by biochemical targets, in particular parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentration...
- Long-term treatment of 12 children with chronic hypoparathyroidism: a randomized trial comparing synthetic human parathyroid hormone 1-34 versus calcitriol and calciumKaren K Winer
the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7510, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2680-8. 2010..This is the first randomized controlled study in children comparing treatment with synthetic human PTH 1-34 and calcitriol...
- Comprehensive biomarker study to capitalize on existing GWAS in 10K South AsiansDanish Saleheen; Fiscal Year: 2010..liver function enzymes);(3) renal function (creatinine, cystatin C, ADMA, uric acid, 25(OH)vitamin D, parathyroid hormone);and (4) inflammation and hemostasis (hsCRP, MCP-1, IL-6, sTNFRII, sVCAM-1, sICAM-1, serum amyloid A, MMP-9,..
- Parathyroid Hormone & Vitamin D Effects on Salt Sensitivity and Vascular FunctionANNA LIZA BELEN VALINA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prevalence of elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH), typically a consequence of depressed vitamin D levels and/or low calcium intake, is also high in ..
- Regulation of PTHrP in Squamous Cell Carcinoma by the EGF ReceptorGWENDOLEN LORCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..growth factor receptor (EGFR) kinase signaling that leads to perturbed signal transduction and increased parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) expression and humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) in SCC of the lung...
- Nuclear Events in PTH Action on BoneNicola C Partridge; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Parathyroid hormone (PTH) plays a central role in regulation of calcium metabolism...
- Novel Drug VS-105 for Treatment of OsteoporosisJinshyun Ruth Wu-Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013..VDRMs influence bone metabolism through regulation of intestinal calcium absorption, parathyroid hormone, receptor activator of nuclear factor-kB ligand, and also via direct effects on osteoblasts and osteoclasts...
- Regulation Of Inorganic Phosphorus (Pi) Metabolism By EstrogenHassane Amlal; Fiscal Year: 2013..IIa apical sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporter (NaPi-IIa), independently of changes in food intake and parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels...
- Establishing the Precursors of Osteoporosis in ChildrenXiping Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..modeling and remodeling markers: osteoprotegerin (OPG), soluble receptor activator of NFKB ligand (sRANKL), parathyroid hormone (PTH), osteocalcin (OC), tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase 5b (TRAP-5b);nutritional markers: magnesium, ..
- Vitamin D and fibroblast growth factor 23 physiology in adolescent girlsDEBORAH MICHELLE MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..in bone mineral metabolism including calcium, Pi, 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD), 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and bone turnover markers...
- Role of Gsalpha in Regulating Osteoblast DifferentiationJOY Y WU; Fiscal Year: 2012..Several GPCRs have been implicated in skeletal development, and in particular the parathyroid hormone (PTH)/PTH-related peptide receptor (PPR) has a critical function in osteoblast development...
- Dynamic Mechanisms of Vitamin D-Induced Gene ExpressionJ Wesley Pike; Fiscal Year: 2012..1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25(OH)2D3) together with parathyroid hormone play an integral role in many of these processes...
- NHERF-1 and dopamine-mediated regulation of renal phosphate transport.Edward J Weinman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent studies from our laboratory have indicated that Parathyroid hormone results in the phosphorylation of the first PDZ domain of NHERF-1 with the subsequent dissociation of Npt2a/..
- Roles of Gs Alpha and interaction with Wnt signaling in regulation of adipocyte dPartha S Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2011..G protein subunit that mediates cyclic AMP-dependent signaling of G protein-coupled receptors including the parathyroid hormone (PTH)/PTH-related peptide (PTHrP) receptor (PPR)...
- Effect of Chronic Proton Pump Inhibitor Therapy on Bone Mineral Density and BoneYu Xiao Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..has a direct trophic effect on the parathyroid glands, leading to parathyroid hyperplasia, increased parathyroid hormone secretion and bone loss...
- Randomized trial of active vitamin D, cholecalciferol and placebo for CKD-MBDSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2011..The current approach to suppress parathyroid hormone for the treatment of CKD-MBD is pharmacologic preparations of the kidney activated form of vitamin D- ..
- Regulation of PTH-induced Osteoanabolism by Inflammatory LipidsYin Tintut; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a key regulator of bone metabolism and is used as anabolic pharmacotherapy for treatment of osteoporosis...
- PTHrP Modulation of TRPV1 in Pain Associated with Breast Cancer Bone MetastasisAARON DAVID MICKLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Metastatic breast cancer cells secrete high levels of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP), which act on osteoblasts and osteoclasts to induce bone lysis/destruction and ..
- EBP50 Regulation of PTH Receptor in BonePeter A Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..project is to elucidate the cellular mechanisms by which the 50-kDa ezrin-bind protein (EBP50) regulates parathyroid hormone receptor (PTHR)-mediated signaling and function in bone...
- Repair of oxidative DNA damage in mammalian cellsTadahide Izumi; Fiscal Year: 2013..APE1 interacts with histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) to suppress expression of many genes, including the parathyroid hormone gene. APE1 also regulates cJun/cFos and other crucial transcription factors...
- Impact of disordered mineral metabolism on stroke and cognitive impairmentORLANDO M GUTIERREZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypotheses by measuring plasma 25D, FGF23 and other key mediators of mineral metabolism including 1,25D, parathyroid hormone, calcium and phosphate in stored blood samples from a specified case cohort of 2,085 participants of the ..
- Actions of Parathyroid Hormone (PTH)/PTH Related-Peptide Receptor in Osteocytes PAOLA DIVIETI PAJEVIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH), an 84-amino-acid polypeptide secreted by the parathyroid glands, is a major physiologic regulator of ..
- Phosphorylation of PTH1R by TGF-betaRII in Bone RemodelingTao Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Parathyroid hormone (PTH) regulates calcium homeostasis and bone metabolism, and plays an important role in coupling of bone ..
- Supplemental Vitamin D and Functional Outcomes in Early AdolescenceRichard D Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..In adults, achieving serum 25(OH)D "SO nmol/L has been suggested as a target for sufficiency based on serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentrations, calcium absorption and fracture rates...
- Role of EGFR signaling in bone formation and the anabolic actions of PTHLing Qin; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Intermittent parathyroid hormone (PTH) injection is one of the most effective anabolic treatments for osteoporosis because of its remarkable actions on bone formation...
- Early effects of PTH on the proximal femurFelicia Cosman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Teriparatide (TPTD), the aminoterminal fragment of parathyroid hormone, increases BMD and bone strength and reduces fracture incidence throughout the skeleton, but data ..
- Vitamin D Status in Relation to Incident Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiometabolic RiskAnastassios G Pittas; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as weight change, season, race/ethnicity, physical activity, calcium intake, kidney function and parathyroid hormone. (2)...
- Epidemiology of Bone Loss in African MenJoseph M Zmuda; Fiscal Year: 2013..test the hypotheses that lower 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D and 25-hydroxyvitamin D and higher bioactive parathyroid hormone concentrations are each associated with increased rates of trabecular and cortical bone loss with age;4) ..
- MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF HYPERPARATHYROIDISMAndrew Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2012..and may be relevant to the mechanism through which cyclin D1 leads to dysregulation of the serum calcium parathyroid hormone setpoint...
- Role of Transcription Factor ERG in SkeletogenesisMaurizio Pacifici; Fiscal Year: 2013..To gain insights into how Erg maintains long-term articular chondrocyte function, we focused on parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) which is also expressed in developing joints, stabilizes the chondrocyte phenotype ..
- FUNCTION OF THE CALCIUM SENSING RECEPTOR IN THE BREASTJohn J Wysolmerski; Fiscal Year: 2013..It plays a central role in systemic mineral metabolism by regulating parathyroid hormone secretion and renal calcium handling...
- Transcriptional Regulation of Indian Hedgehog Expression in ChondrocytesXiangli Yang; Fiscal Year: 2012..These defects are reminiscent of the Ihh-/-, PPR-/-(receptor for parathyroid hormone, PTH, and PTH related protein, PTHrP), and PTHrP-/- limb phenotypes. 4...
- Sox9-mediated control of chondrogenesisVERONIQUE M LEFEBVRE; Fiscal Year: 2013..the cAMP-dependent protein kinase A critically contributes to delaying chondrocyte maturation downstream of parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling...
- Identification of a novel population in the adult bone marrowErnestina Schipani; Fiscal Year: 2012..we have generated a mouse model of marrow fibrosis by expressing a constitutively active receptor for Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) in osteoblasts (PPR*Tg)...
- Sex-Dependent PTHrP Processing and Lung Cancer SurvivalRandolph H Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), an oncoprotein expressed in 50-75% of human lung carcinomas, is a multifunctional molecule that undergoes post-translational processing...
- Regulatory Mechanisms of Oxidative Stress in Hypertensive Heart DiseaseKarl T Weber; Fiscal Year: 2013..to oxidative stress- induced cardiomyocyte necrosis, where the cell's altered redox state is rooted in parathyroid hormone (PTH)- mediated intracellular Ca2+ overloading, including cardiac myocytes and mitochondria and PBMC, and ..
- Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein and the Pancreatic Beta CellRupangi C Vasavada; Fiscal Year: 2012b>Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), and its receptor, parathyroid hormone receptor 1 (PTH1R), expressed in almost every tissue including the beta cell, are required for life...
- PTHrP/IHH Microenvironment Control for Growth Plate Tissue EngineeringJUAN MANUEL TABOAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The growth factors parathyroid hormone related peptide (PTHrP) and indian hedgehog (IHH) are major effectors of GP development via a negative ..
- Racial Differences in Phosphorus Metabolism in Health and in Kidney DiseaseORLANDO M GUTIERREZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hyperphosphatemia is linked with both accelerated kidney and CVD progression. Parathyroid hormone (PTH) and Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 (FGF-23) are the primary hormones that regulate serum phosphate (Pi) ..
- Innovative mouse model to study parathyroids and an application to human diseaseBeate Lanske; Fiscal Year: 2010..Develop improved animal models of NIDDK diseases. Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is one of the most important regulators of calcium and phosphate homeostasis, and of bone metabolism...
- Pulse wave velocity and central aortic pressure outcomes in SPRINTMark A Supiano; Fiscal Year: 2013..and aldosterone) and markers associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD - serum calcium, phosphorous, parathyroid hormone levels, uric acid and urinary albumin)...
- Connexin 43 Hemichannels and Signaling In BoneLILIAN IRENE PLOTKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Cx43 is also required for prevention of osteoblast apoptosis by parathyroid hormone (PTH) in vitro;and the anabolic response to intermittent administration of the hormone is blunted in mice ..
- Opposing and complementary roles of KLF1 and KLF2 in erythropoiesisJoyce A Lloyd; Fiscal Year: 2012..of mRNA for KLF1 and KLF2 target genes, such as FoxM1, Myc, CD24a antigen, sphingosine kinase 1, Pura and parathyroid hormone 1 receptor, in KLF1+/-KLF2-/-, KLF1-/- KLF2+/-, KLF2-/-, KLF1-/- and KLF1-/-KLF2-/- embryos, and in ..
- Parathyroid Hormone in Prevention and Mitigation of ThrombocytopeniaAMELIA M BARTHOLOMEW; Fiscal Year: 2010..We now report a previously unrecognized role for parathyroid hormone (PTH) on mitigating thrombocytopenia following chemotherapeutic myeloablation...
- Endocrine Regulation of Calcific Aortic Valve Sclerosis: PTH/PTHRP Receptor SignaDwight A Towler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our data indicate that parathyroid hormone (PTH) -- the prototypic bone anabolic hormone and master endocrine regulator of vertebrate calcium ..
- Assessing and modifying bone quality in chronic kidney diseaseChris Newman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current treatment in patients with CKD-MBD is focused on suppressing elevations in parathyroid hormone. This is accomplished by calcitriol supplementation...
- Novel Mechanism of PTH Effects on Bone MetabolismBin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Over 300,000 hip fractures are caused by osteoporosis annually. Recombinant parathyroid hormone (PTH) 1-34 (teriparatide) is currently the only FDA-approved anabolic agent for treatment of osteoporosis ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of PTH-Mediated Trafficking in Renal Tubular CellsJudith T Blaine; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Disorders of parathyroid hormone which result in significant morbidity and mortality are a common feature of chronic and end-stage renal disease...
- Mineral metabolism disturbances and arteriovenous fistula maturationBryan R Kestenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..growth factor-23, phosphorus, 25-hydroxyvitamin D, 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, and parathyroid hormone. We will evaluate associations of these markers with clinical AVF maturation, longitudinal changes in blood ..
- The contribution of T cells to the anabolic activity of PTH in boneJau Yi Li; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Daily injections of parathyroid hormone (PTH) amino-terminal peptide 1-34, a regiment known as intermittent PTH (iPTH) treatment, stimulate bone formation and reduce the incidence of fracture in ..
- Phosphorus and Vitamin D Metabolism and Cardiovascular Outcomes: The MESA StudyBryan R Kestenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..growth factor-23, and urine phosphorous) and vitamin D deficiency (lower 25- hydroxyvitamin D and higher parathyroid hormone concentrations) will be associated with incident cardiovascular events, incident hypertension, and incident ..
- Study of bone disease in ThalassemiaMaria G Vogiatzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Similar experiments will determine the effect of desferrioxamine, as an iron chelator, parathyroid hormone and alendronate on the bone disease of thalassemia...
- Proteoglycan-4:A novel protein regulating skeletal actions of parathyroid hormoneCHAD MICHAEL NOVINCE; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Intermittent parathyroid hormone (PTH) (1-34) is currently the only anabolic agent approved for the treatment of osteoporosis, and is actively under clinical investigation to treat localized osseous ..
- A Systems Genetics Approach to Fracture HealingLOUIS CHARLES GERSTENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2013..Environmental variability of fracture healing will be modeled using parathyroid hormone (PTH) treatment, which enhances healing, and phosphate deficiency, which mimics rickets and inhibits ..
- Sclerostin and Gsalpha signaling in osteoblastsJOY Y WU; Fiscal Year: 2012..With the recent approval of recombinant human parathyroid hormone (teriparatide, PTH[1-34]), an anabolic agent with potent stimulatory effects on bone formation is now ..
- Regulation of osteoblast metabolism by Lrp5Ryan C Riddle; Fiscal Year: 2013..and the full response of bone tissue to osteo-anabolic stimuli ranging from mechanical loading to parathyroid hormone. While attempting to distinguish the contributions of Lrp5 to bone development from those attributable to ..
- Mechanisms Underlying Hormonal Regulation of Fracture RepairDolores M Shoback; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project 3 will explore the role of G proteins and wnt signaling in mediating the ability of parathyroid hormone (PTH) to facilitate fracture repair...
- The role of class II histone deacetylases in PTH signaling in osteocytesMARC NATHAN WEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a peptide hormone with a major role in calcium metabolism...
- Maintaining B cell immunity with aged B lymphocytesKatherine L Knight; Fiscal Year: 2013..lymphopoiesis by inhibiting adipogenesis with statins, by promoting generation of MSC and osteoblasts with parathyroid hormone, and by depleting peripheral B cells...
- Effects of nuclear PTHrP on bone formation and the skeletal microenvironmentBlake Eason Hildreth; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Parathyroid hormone (PTH)-related protein (PTHrP) was first discovered as the causative agent of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) through the interaction of its amino-terminus (N-terminus) ..
- Dominant-negative GCMB mutations cause hypoparathyroidismMICHAEL MANNSTADT; Fiscal Year: 2012..These glands produce parathyroid hormone (PTH), which is one of the most important regulators of calcium homeostasis and bone metabolism...
- EFFECTS OF AGE ON SIGNALING IN HUMAN OSTEOBLASTOGENESISJulie Glowacki; Fiscal Year: 2010..that with aging, there is diminished signal transduction in response to osteo-anabolic agents like parathyroid hormone (PTH) and sex hormones and the third specific aim tests whether combination treatments may reverse the age-..
- Spores as a protein display platform for directed evolution of membrane proteinsEdgardo T Farinas; Fiscal Year: 2012..The initial GPCR target will be human parathyroid hormone receptor 1, which is vital in regulating calcium and phosphate levels in the blood...
- Sustained cAMP signals triggered by internalized PTH receptor: new consequences fJean Pierre Vilardaga; Fiscal Year: 2013..The PTH/PTHrP receptor (PTHR), a G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) of the B family, transmits both parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related Peptide (PTHrP) signals to initiate and regulate vital biochemical processes in bone ..
- Vitamin D: A Negative Regulator of Renin ExpressionYan Chun Li; Fiscal Year: 2003The main goal of this application is to define the role of vitamin D and parathyroid hormone (PTH) in the regulation of the renin-angiotensin system in vivo, which plays a crucial role in the regulation of blood pressure, electrolyte ..
- BREAST CANCER METASTASES TO BONE--ROLE OF PTHRP & TGFBTheresa Guise; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) is a tumor product that mediates hypercalcemia through its systemic effects to ..
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION (Verbatim from the Applicant): Parathyroid hormone related protein (PTHrP) is required for endochondral development and critically regulates growth plate cartilage organization and mineralization...
- STRUCTURE AND REGULATION OF OSTEOBLAST CALCIUM CHANNELSElizabeth Barry; Fiscal Year: 2001..channels are expressed in osteoblast-like osteosarcoma cells (alpha1S, alpha1C and alpha1D), and that parathyroid hormone selectively activates the alpha1D isoform...
- FUNCTION OF THE CALCIUM SENSING RECEPTOR IN THE BREASTJohn Wysolmerski; Fiscal Year: 2009..By coordinating parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion and renal calcium handling in response to fluctuations in extracellular Ca++, the CaR is ..
- CA2+ SENSING RECEPTOR EXPRESSION IN HYPERPARATHYROIDISMAlex Brown; Fiscal Year: 2002..detects the concentration of extracellular calcium and signals the glands to secrete the proper amount of parathyroid hormone (PTH) to maintain normal calcium levels...
- PARATHYROID HORMONE REGULATION OF OSTEOBLASTIC MRNANicola Partridge; Fiscal Year: 1993..its identification as the target and mediatory cell for many bone- resorbing agents, in particular, parathyroid hormone (PTH)...