Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of CORTICOSTEROIDS primarily associated with the water and electrolyte balance. This is accomplished through the effect on ION TRANSPORT in renal tubules, resulting in retention of sodium and loss of potassium. Mineralocorticoid secretion is itself regulated by PLASMA VOLUME, serum potassium, and ANGIOTENSIN II.
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- What is the best long-term management strategy for patients with primary adrenal insufficiency?Marcus Quinkler
Clinical Endocrinology, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 76:21-5. 2012..Other important aspects discussed are side effects of glucocortiocid replacement therapy and interactions with other drugs...
- Health problems in congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiencyNicole Reisch
Centre for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Horm Res Paediatr 76:73-85. 2011..Thus, primary and secondary prevention of health problems has to become a task of increasing importance for those involved in the care of CAH patients throughout their life...
- Metabolic remodelling of cardiac myocytes during pregnancy: the role of mineralocorticoidsValerie Bassien-Capsa
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 27:834-42. 2011..In pathologic conditions, mineralocorticoids have been shown to mediate structural as well as functional remodelling of the heart...
- 11 beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and the syndrome of apparent mineralocorticoid excessP C White
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9063, USA
Endocr Rev 18:135-56. 1997..Mutations in the HSD11B2 (HSD11K) gene encoding the kidney isozyme of 11-HSD have been detected in all kindreds with AME studied thus far. This gene represents a candidate locus for the common, "essential" form of hypertension...
- Extra-adrenal glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids: evidence for local synthesis, regulation, and functionMatthew D Taves
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 301:E11-24. 2011Glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids are steroid hormones classically thought to be secreted exclusively by the adrenal glands...
- Mineralocorticoid receptors are indispensable for nongenomic modulation of hippocampal glutamate transmission by corticosteroneHenk Karst
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Center for Neurosciences SILS CNS, University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 320, 1098 SM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:19204-7. 2005..Rapid actions by corticosterone would allow the brain to change its function within minutes after stress-induced elevations of corticosteroid levels, in addition to responding later through gene-mediated signaling pathways...
- Does recovery of adrenal function occur in patients with autoimmune Addison's disease?Lisanne C C J Smans
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 74:434-7. 2011..We earlier discovered partial recovery in a patient with autoimmune Addison's disease. The aim of this study was to assess the occurrence of adrenocortical recovery in patients with autoimmune adrenalitis...
- What is the best diagnostic and therapeutic management strategy for an Addison patient during pregnancy?Marie Lebbe
Centre for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 78:497-502. 2013..With the appropriate replacement therapy, PAI patients can expect to have an uneventful pregnancy and deliver a healthy infant...
- High levels of mineralocorticoids in preovulatory follicular fluid could contribute to oocyte developmentRita Sneeringer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Fertil Steril 95:182-7. 2011To identify aldosterone and precursors in ovarian follicles and to relate levels of mineralocorticoids to previously described renin-angiotensin system follicular fluid content.
- Management of steroid replacement in adrenal insufficiencyK Koetz
Clinical Endocrinology, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin, Germany
Minerva Endocrinol 35:61-72. 2010..This review explains the rationale behind the current hormone replacement scheme, points to the deficits and hints at possible future therapies...
- Extra-adrenal mineralocorticoids and cardiovascular tissueS H Slight
Department of Veterinary Biomedical Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 31:1175-84. 1999..where chronic inappropriate (relative to sodium intake and intravascular volume) elevations in circulating mineralocorticoids (aldosterone or deoxycorticosterone) are created, a reactive fibrosis with vascular remodeling is observed ..
- Levels of mineralocorticoids in whites and blacksJ H Pratt
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hypertension 34:315-9. 1999Blacks appear, on average, to retain more Na than whites. A higher production rate of mineralocorticoids could explain the greater Na retention in blacks...
- Mineralocorticoids upregulate arterial contraction to epidermal growth factorJ A Florian
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 281:R878-86. 2001The present studies test the hypothesis that contraction to EGF is dependent on mineralocorticoids and/or an elevation in systolic blood pressure (SBP)...
- Mineralocorticoids and cardiac fibrosis: the decade in reviewJ Funder
Baker Medical Research Institute, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 28:1002-6. 2001....
- Fat cells may be the obesity-hypertension link: human adipogenic factors stimulate aldosterone secretion from adrenocortical cellsMonika Ehrhart-Bornstein
German Diabetes Center, Clinical Center, Duesseldorf, Germany
Endocr Res 30:865-70. 2004..In conclusion, a possible direct link exists between fat tissue metabolism and adrenal mineralocorticoid secretion that may be responsible for obesity-related hypertension...
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of synthetic mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids: receptor transactivation and prereceptor metabolism by 11beta-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenasesS Diederich
Dept of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Horm Metab Res 36:423-9. 2004..For GC therapy directed to HSD2-expressing organs, widely used prednisolone does not seem to be the optimal recommendation...
- The nongenomic actions of aldosteroneJohn W Funder
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, P O Box 5152, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Endocr Rev 26:313-21. 2005..of pathways; in addition, what remains to be established is the physiological role of aldosterone action via such rapid nongenomic mechanisms and how they might synergize with the longer time course genomic actions of mineralocorticoids.
- Human adipocytes secrete mineralocorticoid-releasing factorsM Ehrhart-Bornstein
German Diabetes Center, Auf m Hennekamp 65, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14211-6. 2003..In conclusion, human adipocytes secrete potent mineralocorticoid-releasing factors, suggesting a direct link between obesity and hypertension...
- Different isozymes of mouse 11 beta-hydroxylase produce mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoidsL J Domalik
Department of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Mol Endocrinol 5:1853-61. 1991..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- [Rhabdomyolysis and arterial hypertension caused by apparent excess of mineralocorticoids: a case report]Alberto Sardi
U O A di Medicina Interna, Ospedale Civico di Chivasso, TO
Ann Ital Med Int 17:126-9. 2002..We would like to stress the diagnostic weight of a careful history taking...
- Role of steroid 11 beta-hydroxylase and steroid 18-hydroxylase in the biosynthesis of glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids in humansT Kawamoto
Department of Medical Chemistry, Kochi Medical School, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:1458-62. 1992..results indicate that P-45011 beta and P-450C18 are products of two different genes and that the former participates in the synthesis of glucocorticoids whereas the latter participates in the synthesis of mineralocorticoids in humans.
- Inactivating mutations of the mineralocorticoid receptor in Type I pseudohypoaldosteronismP Sartorato
INSERM U 478, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, B P 416, 16 rue Henri Huchard, 75870 Paris Cedex 18, France
Mol Cell Endocrinol 217:119-25. 2004..We discuss the absence of mutations in some kindreds and the role of precise phenotypic and biological examination of patients to allow for identification of other genes potentially involved in the disease...
- 19-Noraldosterone in pregnancy-induced hypertensionYoshiyu Takeda
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kanazawa University, Japan
Steroids 67:605-10. 2002..To examine the role of mineralocorticoids in the pathophysiology of PIH, we studied urinary 19-noraldosterone, tetrahydroaldosterone, free cortisol, ..
- How do central mineralocorticoid receptors modulate blood pressure?John W Funder
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R356-7. 2005
- Aldosterone acts on the kidney, not the brain, to cause mineralocorticoid hypertension in sheepLeopoldo A Sosa León
Howard Florey Institute of Experimental Physiology and Medicine, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Hypertens 20:1203-8. 2002..To determine the extent to which mineralocortioid hypertension depends on a direct action of aldosterone on the kidney or on the brain...
- A mutation in the cofactor-binding domain of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 associated with mineralocorticoid hypertensionA Odermatt
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Inselspital, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1247-52. 2001....
- Are we missing a mineralocorticoid in teleost fish? Effects of cortisol, deoxycorticosterone and aldosterone on osmoregulation, gill Na+,K+ -ATPase activity and isoform mRNA levels in Atlantic salmonStephen D McCormick
USGS, Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center, One Migratory Way, PO Box 796, Turners Falls, MA 01376, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 157:35-40. 2008..The results provide support that cortisol, and not DOC or aldosterone, is involved in regulating the mineralocorticoid functions of ion uptake and salt secretion in teleost fish...
- The human mineralocorticoid receptor only partially differentiates between different ligands after expression in fission yeastMatthias Bureik
Department of Biochemistry, Saarland University, Postfach 151150 D 66041 Saarbrücken, Germany
FEMS Yeast Res 5:627-33. 2005....
- Human uridine diphosphate-glucuronosyltransferase UGT2B7 conjugates mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid metabolitesCaroline Girard
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center Centre Hospitalier de l Université Laval and Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G2
Endocrinology 144:2659-68. 2003..Kinetic analyses reveal that UGT2B7 polymorphisms glucuronidate mineralocorticoids with a 5.5- to 20-fold higher affinity than glucocorticoids...
- Regulation of collecting duct AQP3 expression: response to mineralocorticoidTae Hwan Kwon
The Water and Salt Research Center, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 283:F1403-21. 2002..Therefore, in the collecting duct aldosterone may regulate, at least in part, AQP3 expression in addition to regulating Na and K transport...
- Upregulation of arterial serotonin 1B and 2B receptors in deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensionAmy K L Banes
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Hypertension 39:394-8. 2002..between the model of DOCA-salt hypertension and the DOCA-salt--treated Wistar-Furth rats is the presence of mineralocorticoids. Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that mineralocorticoids can upregulate 5-HT(1B) and 5-HT(2B) receptors...
- [Monogenic hypertension]Volker Bahr
Abteilung für Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Ernährungsmedizin, Medizinische Klinik IV, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin
Med Klin (Munich) 98:208-17. 2003..The mutation causing this syndrome is not known...
- Difference of in vivo and in vitro antimineralocorticoid potency of progesteroneM Quinkler
Dept of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Endocr Res 28:465-70. 2002..We suggest that this may be due to effective MR protection mechanisms, such as conversion of P to inactive metabolites...
- Mifepristone protects CA1 hippocampal neurons following traumatic brain injury in ratD L McCullers
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Neuroscience 109:219-30. 2002....
- The mineralocorticoid receptor agonist, fludrocortisone, inhibits pituitary-adrenal activity in humans after pre-treatment with metyraponeChristian Otte
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Life Sci 73:1835-45. 2003..05), whereas no such effect was observed after aldosterone or placebo. These preliminary data suggest that MR are involved in the inhibition of the HPA axis during the circadian nadir of glucocorticoid concentrations in humans...
- Renal inactivation, mineralocorticoid generation, and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibition ameliorate the antimineralocorticoid effect of progesterone in vivoM Quinkler
Department of Endocrinology, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat, 12200 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3767-72. 2003..This supports the hypothesis of an effective protection of the MR from P by efficient extraadrenal downstream conversion of P...
- Aldosterone stimulates epidermal growth factor receptor expressionAlexander W Krug
Physiologisches Institut der Universität Würzburg, Würzburg 97070, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:43060-6. 2003..is an attractive hypothesis to explain pathological tissue remodeling elicited by aldosterone, because (i) mineralocorticoids can sensitize cells for EGF, (ii) mineralocorticoid receptor (MR)-antagonists reduce EGFR-mRNA expression, (..
- Forms of mineralocorticoid hypertensionPaolo Ferrari
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Inselspital, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Vitam Horm 66:113-56. 2003..The present review addresses the physiology and significance of the key players of the mineralocorticoid axis, placing emphasis on the conditions leading to mineralocorticoid hypertension...
- Selective down-regulation of hippocampal glucocorticoid receptors during opiate withdrawalGavan P McNally
Mental Health Research Institute, The University of Michigan, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 118:152-5. 2003....
- Mineralocorticoid receptor-mediated inhibition of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in aged humansChristian Otte
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 58:B900-5. 2003..Our results implicate that a decrease in MR-mediated negative feedback contributes to the diminished feedback activity in older humans...
- Mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors and their differential effects on memory performance in people with Addison's diseaseMichelle Y Tytherleigh
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, Clifton, UK
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:712-23. 2004..01). Whilst significant effects were not consistent across memory tasks, these results lend further support to the view that balanced activation of MRs and GRs is necessary for optimal memory function in humans...
- Adrenocortical carcinoma producing 11-deoxycorticosterone: a rare cause of mineralocorticoid hypertensionK Müssig
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Endocrinol Invest 28:61-5. 2005..DOC producing adrenocortical carcinomas causing mineralocorticoid hypertension are very rare, so far only 10 cases have been described in the literature...
- [Synthetic mineralocorticoid]Isamu Miyamori
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Fukui
Nihon Rinsho 66:125-9. 2008..A synthetic steroid which selectively binds and activates renal MR-LBD but not GR, or non-epithelial MR, although not found at present, may be a promising mineralocorticoids to be used in the above disorders.
- Cysteines 849 and 942 of human mineralocorticoid receptor are crucial for steroid bindingB Lupo
INSERM U300, Faculté de Pharmacie Bat K, Montpellier, France
Biochemistry 37:12153-9. 1998..Our data indicate that C849 and C942 are critical for the ligand binding process of hMR. Moreover, C942 might be involved in a direct contact with the 20-keto group of the steroid...
- Endothelium-specific GTP cyclohydrolase I overexpression attenuates blood pressure progression in salt-sensitive low-renin hypertensionYan hua Du
Department of Pharmacology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA
Circulation 117:1045-54. 2008..This study tested the hypothesis that endothelium-specific GTPCH I overexpression retards the progression of hypertension through preservation of the structure and function of resistance mesenteric arteries...
- Molecular genetic aspects and pathophysiology of endocrine hypertensionStelios Fountoulakis
Department of Endocrinology, University of Ioannina Medical School, Ioannina, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 5:90-106. 2006
- [Adrenogenital syndrome]Kenji Fujieda
Department of Pediatrics, Asahikawa Medical College
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- Mineralocorticoid synthesis during the periovulatory interval in macaquesKarenne N Fru
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Biol Reprod 75:568-74. 2006..during the periovulatory interval raise the possibility that this steroid serves as a precursor for mineralocorticoids. The aim of this study was to determine if mineralocorticoids are synthesized by the luteinizing macaque ..
- Effect of glucocorticoid deficiency on arterial pressure in conscious spontaneously hypertensive ratsY Yagil
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, City University of New York
Am J Hypertens 2:99-104. 1989..01), and in DEX from 162 +/- 2 to 181 +/- 4 mm Hg (n = 7, P less than .01). The results indicate that when diet salt intake is high, glucocorticoid action is necessary for the full expression of hypertension in adult SHR...
- MDM2: a novel mineralocorticoid-responsive gene involved in aldosterone-induced human vascular structural remodelingYasuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Am J Pathol 169:362-71. 2006....
- Aldosterone-sensitive NTS neurons are inhibited by saline ingestion during chronic mineralocorticoid treatmentJoel C Geerling
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology Box 8108, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave St Louis, MO 63110 USA
Brain Res 1115:54-64. 2006..This finding suggests that the HSD2 neurons are inhibited by signals directly related to saline ingestion, and not simply by the alleviation of sodium deficiency, which does not occur during mineralocorticoid administration...
- Time-related changes in plasma adrenal steroids during treatment with spironolactone in primary aldosteronismH Sakamoto
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Am J Hypertens 3:533-7. 1990....
- Physiologic roles of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in kidneyYukinori Isomura
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Metabolism 55:1352-7. 2006..These results suggest that renal 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 is an important regulatory factor of renal Na and K handlings independently of and/or complementary to the mineralocorticoid action of aldosterone...
- Monogenic mineralocorticoid hypertensionMichael Stowasser
Endocrine Hypertension Research Centre, University of Queensland School of Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Australia 4102
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 20:401-20. 2006....
- Treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome with spironolactone plus licoriceDecio Armanini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences Endocrinology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 131:61-7. 2007....
- Possibly simultaneous primary aldosteronism and preclinical Cushing's syndrome in a patient with double adenomas of right adrenal glandTakako Saito
Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical University Omiya Medical Center, Japan
Endocr J 54:287-93. 2007....
- Mineralocorticoid effects due to cortisol inactivation overload explain the beneficial use of hydrocortisone in septic shockL A Druce
Department of Pharmacy, Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor, North West Wales NHS Trust, United Kingdom
Med Hypotheses 70:56-60. 2008..Hydrocortisone also has an attenuating, as opposed to the suppressing effect of synthetic glucocorticoids on the immune response which is also regarded as beneficial...
- What is the role of the central nervous system in mineralocorticoid hypertension?E P Gomez Sanchez
Research Service, JA Haley VA Hospital, Tampa, FL 33612
Am J Hypertens 4:374-81. 1991..The concomitant icv infusion of corticosterone, which is thought to be the primary ligand of the brain mineralocorticoid receptor, antagonizes the effect of icv infusion of aldosterone.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Selective transrepression versus transactivation mechanisms by glucocorticoid receptor modulators in stress and immune systemsKarolien De Bosscher
Laboratory of Eukaryotic Gene Expression and Signal Transduction LEGEST, Department of Molecular Biology, Ghent University, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Eur J Pharmacol 583:290-302. 2008..The aim of this review is to discuss the mechanistic basis and applicability of different glucocorticoid receptor modulators in various affections, ranging from immune disorders to mental dysfunctions...
- Deoxycorticosterone inactivation by AKR1C3 in human mineralocorticoid target tissuesKamalesh K Sharma
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology and Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 248:79-86. 2006..Our findings suggest that AKR1C3 protects the mineralocorticoid receptor from activation by DOC in mineralocorticoid target cells of the kidney and colon, analogous to cortisol inactivation by 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2...
- Tissue-specific expression of alpha and beta messenger ribonucleic acid isoforms of the human mineralocorticoid receptor in normal and pathological statesM C Zennaro
INSERM U246, Institut Fédératif de Recherche Cellules Epithéliales, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1345-52. 1997..Altogether, our results indicate a differential, tissue-specific expression of hMR mRNA isoforms, hMR beta being down-regulated in situations of positive sodium balance, independently of aldosterone levels...
- Aldosterone, mineralocorticoid receptors and vascular inflammationJohn W Funder
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, P O Box 5152, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 217:263-9. 2004..The studies supporting this latter conclusion, and the novel mechanisms proposed to support this concept, are details in the text to follow...
- [Treatment of adult men with congenital adrenal hyperplasia syndrome due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency]P Knape
Klinische Endokrinologie, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:1025-9. 2008..A future system of regular follow-up visits and standardized therapy guidelines are essential to provide a better medical care and a higher quality of life for male patients with CAH...
- The mechanisms of differential glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid action in the brain and peripheral tissuesShirya Rashid
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Clin Biochem 38:401-9. 2005b>Mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids are key categories of adrenocorticosteroid hormones that mediate distinct physiological responses...
- Human mineralocorticoid receptor interacts with actin under mineralocorticoid ligand modulationS Jalaguier
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 300, Faculte de Pharmacie, Montpellier, France
FEBS Lett 384:112-6. 1996..Steroid modulation of the interaction between domain E and actin indicated that this actin binding is specific and could be essential for cellular mineralocorticoid receptor activity...
- Aldosterone: good guy or bad guy in cerebrovascular disease?Christine S Rigsby
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 16:401-6. 2005..Both of these divergent effects have possible therapeutic implications for stroke...
- [A case of apparent mineralocorticoid excess caused by type 2 11 beta- hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency]G Morineau
Laboratoire de Biologie Hormonale, , Parix
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 90:1111-5. 1997..In serum and urine, there was a dramatic decrease of cortisone and its metabolite, while cortisol and its metabolites were non affected...
- Mineralocorticoid resistanceDavid S Geller
Section of Nephrology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8029, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 62:513-20. 2005....
- Mineralocorticoid receptors: distribution and activationJohn W Funder
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton 3168, Victoria, Australia
Heart Fail Rev 10:15-22. 2005Mineralocorticoid receptors (MR) bind both mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids with high affinity (deoxycorticosterone = corticosterone >/= aldosterone = cortisol), and are found in both Na(+) transporting epithelia (e.g...
- [Aldosterone precursors and hypertension with hypokalemia and adrenal module non caused by primary hyperaldosteronism]B Chamontin
, CHU Purpan, Toulouse
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:1055-8. 1996..table: see text] The study suggests the relevance of aldosterone precursors assays in low renin hypertension non due to aldosterone and in incidentally discovered adrenal masses...
- Oral hydrocortisone administration in children with classic 21-hydroxylase deficiency leads to more synchronous joint GH and cortisol secretionEvangelia Charmandari
London Center for Pediatric Endocrinology, University College London, London, W1T 3AA, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2238-44. 2002..adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) is characterized by a defect in the synthesis of glucocorticoids and often mineralocorticoids, and adrenal hyperandrogenism...
- The use of oral vasopressors in the management of autonomic dysfunction and orthostatic hypotensionE T Wittbrodt
Clinical Pharmacy, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:565-71. 1999..To describe a patient with hypotension secondary to autonomic dysfunction who was successfully treated with oral vasopressors...
- Stable expression of rat cytochrome P450 11 beta-hydroxylase (CYP11B1) and aldosterone synthase (CYP11B2) in MA-10 cellsM Zhou
Department of Internal Medicine, Harry S Truman Memorial Veterans Hospital, Columbia, MO 65201, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 52:523-8. 1995Glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids are synthesized in the adrenal cortex through the action of two different cytochrome 11 beta-hydroxylases, CYP11B1 (11 beta-hydroxylase) and CYP11B2 (aldosterone synthase) which are distributed in ..
- Glucocorticoid-recognizing and -effector sites in rat liver plasma membrane. Kinetics of corticosterone uptake by isolated membrane vesicles. III. Specificity and stereospecificityC Lackner
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Graz, Austria
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 64:69-82. 1998..g. 11alpha-cortisol, prednisone, cortisone, 11-dehydro-B), mineralocorticoids (aldosterone), natural estrogens (e.g...
- [Malignant adrenal cortex carcinoma revealed by an isolated picture of primary hyperaldosteronism]D Farge
Service d hypertension, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 81:83-7. 1988..Occasionally, the tumor produces an excessive amount of mineralocorticoids only and ACC can be revealed by an isolated syndrome of primary aldosteronism...
- 11beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in the brain: a novel regulator of glucocorticoid action?J R Seckl
Department of Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Front Neuroendocrinol 18:49-99. 1997Corticosteroids (glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids) have multiple actions in the brain which are mediated via specific intracellular receptors...
- Lack of effect of aldosterone on intracellular sodium and potassium in mononuclear leucocytes from patients with pseudohypoaldosteronismM Wehling
Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, FRG
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 28:67-74. 1988..However, normal baseline intracellular electrolyte concentrations in these patients may indicate that mineralocorticoids are not involved in the maintenance of normal levels of intracellular sodium and potassium.
- Mineralocorticoid receptor and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II expression in renal cell neoplasms: a tissue microarray and quantitative RT-PCR studyEvgeny Yakirevich
Department of Pathology, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:874-83. 2008The kidney is an important target for mineralocorticoids. Aldosterone, the major endogenously secreted mineralocorticoid, acts by binding to mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) in the distal renal tubule...
- Structure-function relationships of 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: contribution made by the molecular genetics of 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiencyY Morel
INSERM U329, Department of Pediatrics, Universite de Lyon, Hopital Debrousse, Hospices Civils de Lyon, France
Steroids 62:176-84. 1997..4-3-keto-steroids is an essential step for the biosynthesis of all classes of active steroids: progesterone, mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, androgens, and estrogens...
- Blocking the glucocorticoid receptor with RU-486 does not prevent glucocorticoid control of autoimmune mouse hearing lossDennis R Trune
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA truned ohsu edu
Audiol Neurootol 14:423-31. 2009..Previous studies of steroid-responsive hearing loss in autoimmune (lupus) mice showed glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids were equally effective, suggesting the ion homeostasis functions of glucocorticoids may be as relevant as ..
- Shift from Conn's syndrome to Cushing's syndrome in a recurrent adrenocortical carcinomaL Barzon
Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, University of Padova, Via A Gabelli 63, I 35121 Padova, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 153:629-36. 2005..glomerulosa, zona fasciculata, or zona reticularis and be associated with syndromes due to overproduction of mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, or androgens respectively...
- Human adrenal corticocarcinoma NCI-H295R cells produce more androgens than NCI-H295A cells and differ in 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and 17,20 lyase activitiesElika Samandari
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Children s Hospital Bern, Freiburgstrasse 15, G3 812, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
J Endocrinol 195:459-72. 2007The human adrenal cortex produces mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, and androgens in a species-specific, hormonally regulated, zone-specific, and developmentally characteristic fashion...
- Iatrogenic adrenal insufficiency as a side-effect of combined treatment of itraconazole and budesonideM Skov
Cystic Fibrosis Centre, National University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir J 20:127-33. 2002..Itraconazole can inhibit CYP3A, thus interfering with synthesis of gluco- and mineralocorticoids, androgens and oestradiol as well as the metabolism of budesonide...
- Reduced Na+, K(+)-ATPase activity in patients with pseudohypoaldosteronismT Bistritzer
Department of Pediatrics, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Zerifin, Israel
Pediatr Res 35:372-5. 1994..The defect could be related to the unresponsiveness of target organs to mineralocorticoids resulting in hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, and markedly elevated plasma aldosterone and renin levels...
- Inappropriate elevation of the aldosterone/plasma renin activity ratio in hypertensive patients with increases of 11-deoxycorticosterone and 18-hydroxy-11-deoxycorticosterone: a subtype of essential hypertension?I Komiya
Department of Geriatrics, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Nagano, Japan
Cardiology 78:99-110. 1991..18-OH-DOC) concentrations (group 3a) and 9 of them had normal levels of those mineralocorticoids (group 3b). The rest of them (382 patients) had low aldosterone/PRA ratios (group 4)...
- Selective hypoaldosteronism in a patient with Sjögren's syndrome: insensitivity to angiotensin IIS Otabe
Department of Medicine, Kurume University, School of Medicine, Fukuoka Ken, Japan
Nephron 59:466-70. 1991..The levels of these three mineralocorticoids showed only minor changes during infusion of angiotensin II...
- DOCA-induced phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase 3betaAmanda W Wyatt
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 17:137-44. 2006..As SGK1 is transcriptionally upregulated by mineralocorticoids and has been recently shown to play an important role in the pathogenesis of mineralocorticoid-induced ..
- Aldosterone assessment in patients with Menière's diseaseD J Mateijsen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Division of Nephrology, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 63:280-6. 2001..followed by an increased adrenocortical production of glucocorticoids (cortisol and corticosterone) and mineralocorticoids (aldosterone)...
- [Sweat glands in pseudohypoaldosteronism]E Aberer
II Universitäts Hautklinik Wien
Hautarzt 38:484-7. 1987..sodium loss seems to be caused by an unresponsiveness of the renal tubules to endogenous and exogenous mineralocorticoids. The colon, salivary and sweat glands, which are also involved in sodium reabsorption, may likewise be ..
- Central hypertensive effects of aldosteroneE P Gomez-Sanchez
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, USA
Front Neuroendocrinol 18:440-62. 1997..b>Mineralocorticoids, the most prominent of which is aldosterone, also influence the activity of nonepithelial target cells, ..
- Pseudohypoaldosteronism in eight families: different forms of inheritance are evidence for various genetic defectsU Kuhnle
University of Munich, Children s Hospital, West Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 70:638-41. 1990..The patients are insensitive to mineralocorticoids; however, sodium supplementation is able to correct electrolyte abnormalities...
- Enhancement of glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid receptor density in the microcirculation of the spontaneously hypertensive ratFrank A DeLano
Microcirculation Laboratory, Department of Bioengineering, The Whitaker Institute for Biomedical Engineering, 9500 Gilman Dr, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Microcirculation 11:69-78. 2004..Thus glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids may have major control over blood pressure status and organ injury mechanisms in SHRs...
- Adverse effect of phenytoin on glucocorticoid replacement in a child with adrenal insufficiencyCengiz Kara
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 23:963-6. 2010..we suggest that drugs such as phenytoin affecting hepatic clearance of synthetic glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids should not be preferred for therapy in patients with adrenal insufficiency...
- Gender assignment and hormonal treatment for disorders of sexual differentiationShilpa Sharma
Department of Pediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Surg Int 24:1131-5. 2008..To study the gender assignment and hormonal treatment advocated for disorders of sexual differentiation (DSD)...
- Impairment of AVP regulation in 17alpha-hydroxylase deficiency, a unique form of adrenal insufficiencyA M O Leal
Department of Medicine School of Medicine Ribeirão Preto USP, SP, Brazil
J Endocrinol Invest 25:635-8. 2002..results in decreased production of cortisol and sex steroids and hypokalemia secondary to excess mineralocorticoids. It has long been known that glucocorticoid deficiency is associated with impaired urinary dilution and ..
- A role for benzamil-sensitive proteins of the central nervous system in the pathogenesis of salt-dependent hypertensionJoanna M Abrams
Graduate Program in Neuroscience, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35:687-94. 2008..4. Mineralocorticoids have been linked to human hypertension; many patients with essential hypertension respond well to ..
- Dizziness: a diagnostic approachRobert E Post
Am Fam Physician 82:361-8, 369. 2010..Orthostatic hypotension that causes presyncope can be treated with alpha agonists, mineralocorticoids, or lifestyle changes. Disequilibrium and lightheadedness can be alleviated by treating the underlying cause.
- Characterization of human 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta 5-delta 4-isomerase gene and its expression in mammalian cellsY Lachance
Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Centre, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 265:20469-75. 1990..essential for the biosynthesis of all classes of hormonal steroids, namely progesterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, androgens, and estrogens...
- DHEA: why, when, and how much--DHEA replacement in adrenal insufficiencyB Allolio
Endocrinology and Diabetes Unit, Department of Medicine I, University of Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Str 2, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 68:268-73. 2007In recent years it has been demonstrated that current replacement therapy with glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids fails to fully restore health-related quality of life in patients with adrenal insufficiency (AI)...
- Effects of cholinergic stimulation and aldosterone administration on salivary parotid secretion in the brushtail possum, Trichosurus vulpeculaN A Scott
School of Biological Science, University of N S W, Kensington, Australia
Arch Oral Biol 39:351-60. 1994..2 nmol/h for 5 h), showing that the gland of Na-replete possums is unresponsive to short-term increases in mineralocorticoids. The low salivary amylase activity, less than that of kangaroos, presumably reflects the interaction of ..
- Rapid effects of mineralocorticoids on sodium-proton exchanger: genomic or nongenomic pathway?M Wehling
Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Federal Republic of Germany
Am J Physiol 260:E719-26. 1991..These putative novel receptors may in turn bind novel aldosterone antagonists with possible diuretic and vasodilator effects distinct from those of spironolactones...
- Steroid Responsive Mechanisms in the EarDENNIS ROYAL TRUNE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Studies are designed to better understand the role of glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids in normal inner ear gene expression, and how steroid treatments may be operating to reverse hearing loss...
- ROLE OF MINERALOCORTICOIDS IN HYPERTENSIONCELSO ENRIQUE GOMEZ-SANCHEZ; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Mechanisms for the evolution of novel DNA specificity in a transcription factor fJoseph W Thornton; Fiscal Year: 2013..of SRs-estrogen receptors on one hand and the receptors for androgens, progestagens, glucocorticoids, and mineralocorticoids (APGMRs) on the other-recognize different DNA binding sites...
- RENAL FUNCTION AND DISEASEBruce A Stanton; Fiscal Year: 2013..training is offered include ion transport and its pharmacological and physiological regulation, effects of mineralocorticoids on ion transport, intracellular trafficking of ion channels and vesicles, the cellular and molecular biology ..
- Role of H,K-ATPase in the Action of MineralocorticoidsCharles S Wingo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aldosterone and desoxycorticosterone (DOC) are mineralocorticoids that cause hypertension through increased urinary sodium (Na) retention and hypokalemic metabolic alkalosis ..
- The Stress of Chronic Disease: Mineralocorticoid Mediation of MoodAlan Kim Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results from several converging lines of evidence lead us to hypothesize that adrenal mineralocorticoids released in the course of attempting to maintain the cardiac output of a failing heart are depressivogenic ..
- Regulation of Macrophage Phenotypes during Neuroinflammation and StrokeRYAN ALLEN FRIELER; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mineralocorticoids have an important function during normal physiology, but increased mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) activation can cause or exacerbate a variety of diseases...
- Investigation of the Molecular Determinants of DAX-1 Mediated X-Linked Adrenal HyChristina Tzagarakis Foster; Fiscal Year: 2009..of the adult zone of the adrenal cortex and results in low serum concentrations of glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and androgens...
- IMPROVED STEROID THERAPY FOR HEARING LOSSDennis Trune; Fiscal Year: 2000..If this is the case, there are more effective steroids for sodium transport, the mineralocorticoids. However, these steroids have never been evaluated for improving inner ear function, in spite of the fact ..
- ANDROGEN METABOLISM IN CHILDHOODMaria New; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also study the effect of mineralocorticoids and glucocorti-coids on collagen synthesis in vivo and in vitro in 11beta- HSD2 deficiency...
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR FUNCTIONDonald McDonnell; Fiscal Year: 2004..hPR-A can modulate the ability of cells to respond to estrogens, androgens, glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids, suggesting that hPR-A is a key point of convergence between these signaling systems...
- ALDOSTERONE, HYPERTENSION AND THE BRAINElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2003..They have published evidence supporting the action of central mineralocorticoids in the hypertension of the Dahl Salt-Sensitive rat...
- BLOOD PRESSURE & RENAL FUNCTION IN HYPERINSULINEMIAJohn Hall; Fiscal Year: 1991..initiates hypertension by increasing renal tubular sodium reabsorption, similar to the effect of mineralocorticoids. Our approach will employ animal experimentation, studies in humans, and a theoretical analysis of the ..
- CARDIAC GLYCOSIDES AND DIURETICS: ROLE OF NA+ PUMPSHAILESH BANERJEE; Fiscal Year: 1980..Several hormones such as thyroxine, gluco- and mineralocorticoids, insulin, and catecholamines have been implicated in the regulation of (Na ion plus K ion)-ATPase...
- ADRENOCORTICAL HORMONES IN OBESITY-RELATED HYPERTENSIONALEXANDER BROWNIE; Fiscal Year: 1991..and related studies we will examine the interaction of key adrenocortical steroids (glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and androgens) with cultured vascular smooth muscle cells isolated from control rats and rats with obesity-..
- ATRIAL PEPTIDES IN NORMAL AND HYPERTENSIVE PREGNANCYMarshall Lindheimer; Fiscal Year: 1990..Studies to be performed on animals subjected to volume manipulation (chronically: high or low Na diets, mineralocorticoids: acutely: saline loads or diuretics) include: a) Measurement of plasma and atrial ANP, the mRNA of ANP's ..
- SODIUM CHANNELS IN COLONIC EPITHELIAL CELLSLAWRENCE PALMER; Fiscal Year: 1993..qualitative or quantitative differences in the channels under basal conditions and during stimulation with mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids...
- Physiology of Male Reproductive Hormones in AgingChristopher Fox; Fiscal Year: 2002..HYPOTHESIS III will test whether urea transporter proteins are down- regulated during aldosterone-escape. Specific Aim 5 will test whether mineralocorticoids down-regulate UT-A and/or UT-B protein or mRNA expression.
- Fusion Proteins As Probes of P450 Structure and FunctionRichard Auchus; Fiscal Year: 2004..occupies a critical position in steroidogenesis, regulating the flux of precursors down pathways to mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, and sex steroids...
- BIOCHEMICAL EVENTS IN GENETIC HYPERTENSION IN RATSRICHARD MCPARTLAND; Fiscal Year: 1980..This is based upon our finding that the increase in urinary kallikrein activity in response to mineralocorticoids is markedly suppressed in the S rat. We will characterize receptor binding in cytosol and nuclei...
- MECHANISMS OF CORTICOSTEROID RECEPTOR FUNCTION IN BRAINDavid Pearce; Fiscal Year: 2001..The two major classes of corticosteroids, mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids, exert their effects primarily through intracellular receptors- the mineralocorticoid (..
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF STEROIDOGENESISSynthia Mellon; Fiscal Year: 1990..manipulation of intact animals will be done to increase or decrease the production of glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids or sex steroids selectively...
- NA INFLUX PATHWAYS IN VSM SARCOLEMMAL VESICLESAndrew Kahn; Fiscal Year: 1992..more of these transport systems is found in mineralocorticoid induced hypertension, and that this effect of mineralocorticoids is mediated via methylation of membrane components...
- RECEPTORS WITH SITE SPECIFIC STEROIDS 7.Manfred Wolff; Fiscal Year: 1980Evidence is now available that mineralocorticoids react with a nuclear receptor systems to initiate the action on active sodium transport...
- Biochemical Basis of Cortisone Reductase DeficiencyPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2007..Subsets of the genotyping data will be analyzed as an association study, as an affected sib pair study, and by transmission disequilibrium testing. Additional polymorphisms in these genes will be sought in PCOS subjects. ..
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF LONG-TERM CARDIOVASCULAR CONTROLJohn Osborn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Taken together, this integrative physiological approach will advance our understanding of the neural mechanisms for long-term control of arterial pressure and pathogenesis of neurogenic hypertension. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functions of Very Large G-protein Coupled Receptor-1Perrin White; Fiscal Year: 2008..We are specifically interested in the other proteins with very large ectodomains, protocadherin- 15 and cadherin-23. These studies should shed new light on mechanisms controlling development of the retina and inner ear. ..
- ENDOTHELIN REGULATION OF KIDNEY FUNCTIONDavid Pollock; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 3: To test the hypothesis that up-regulation of CYP4A can reduce salt-dependent hypertension associated with reduced ETB receptor function. ..
- Stoichiometry and modular retrieval of ENaCJames Stockand; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will provide critical insight about the molecualr architecture of ENaC and regulation of this important channel. ..
- PRESSURE NATRIURESIS MEDIATED BY EXTRACELLULAR cGMPRobert Carey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Proof of the specific aims will identify and characterize a novel role of extracellular Rl cGMP and provide a potential therapeutic target for hypertension and other disease states associated with sodium retention. ..
- GENE EXPRESSION IN NERVOUS TISSUEBruce S McEwen; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Natriuretic mechanisms of AT2 receptorsROBERT MUNSON CAREY; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application will increase our understanding of the mechanisms whereby the kidney renin-angiotensin system regulates salt and water excretion, suggesting new molecular targets for the treatment and prevention of hypertension. ..
- ALDO SPECIFICITY OF MINERALOCORTICOID TARGET CELLSANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..WT mice, we will identify aldosterone-regulated genes that are not downstream of SGK1. CCD cells will be isolated by immuno-selection, and differentially expressed genes identified using DNA microarrays. ..
- Hormone Regulation of Human Anti-HIV Molecules in the Female Reproductive TractJack E Bodwell; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Long-Term Neural Determinants of Cardiovascular DiseasesJohn Osborn; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Epithelial Na channel (ENaC) polymorphisms in hyptertentionJames Stockand; Fiscal Year: 2007..Preliminary results support the feasibility of this investigation and suggest that this line of inquiry will yield significant and novel findings. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxidized Linoleic Acid, Aldosterone, and ObesityTHEODORE GOODFRIEND; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY-MEDSTAR CENTER FOR CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCEJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The planning process will be led by a committee of faculty members who are leaders in translational research and clinical research training at the member institutions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Low-Renin Hypertension in African AmericansJohn Pratt; Fiscal Year: 2003..In summary, we explore unique but simple approaches to treatment of low-renin hypertension in blacks, a treatment modality that could prove useful to many patients currently with uncontrolled blood pressure. ..
- PREVENTION OF STROKE DYSFUNCTION BY ACE INHIBITIONCHARLES STIER; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also examine the interrelationship between mineralocorticoids and increased potassium chloride intake...
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ADAPTATION TO SUSTAINED HYPO-OSMOLALITYJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should lead to an elucidation of the cellular mechanisms underlying one of the most basic and intriguing unanswered question about clinically hyponatremic disorders. ..
- Disruption of the SGk1 gene in aldosterone target cells.ANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF HUMAN ALDOSTERONE SYNTHASEPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should provide insight into mechanisms underlying a genetic risk factor for cardiovascular disease. ..
- RENAL TRANSPORT OF NONELECTROLYTES, SALT AND WATERJames Schafer; Fiscal Year: 2002..These observations will provide important information regarding the physiological or pathophysiological circumstances under which AVP would contribute to salt retention. ..
- AT2 RECEPTOR MECHANISMS IN ANG II DEPENDENT HYPERTENSIONRobert Carey; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed studies will provide for the first time in any form of hypertension an understanding of the relevance and mediators of AT2 receptors in the long term control of blood pressure and kidney function. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF LOW RENIN HYPERTENSIONPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2001..The investigators will determine the role of 11-HSD K in the development of essential hypertension, using both linkage and association studies. ..
- GENETIC STUDIES OF MINERALOCORTICOID FUNCTIONDavid Geller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- TRAINING CURRICULUM IN PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCHRobert Toto; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed program will provide young physicians and scientists with the skills needed to conduct clinical investigations and to compete for federal and non-federal research funding. ..
- AT2 RECEPTORS IN BLOOD PRESSURE AND RENAL FUNCTIONRobert Carey; Fiscal Year: 2004..An understanding of the function of the AT2 receptor is necessary for an assessment of its potential role in the pathophysiology of hypertension and as a target for antihypertensive therapy. ..
- Genetic Determinants of Sodium RetentionJohn Pratt; Fiscal Year: 2006..In summary, by exploring candidate sites for increased Na retention in blacks in comparison to whites, we seek to identify new mechanisms for common forms of hypertension. ..
- Arsenic Effects on Glucorticoid Receptor ActionJACK BODWELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be important for determining the contribution of these effects to the overall human health effects of arsenic. ..
- Regulation of Urea Transport by Adrenal SteroidsJEFF SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2005..We also found that UT-A1 protein abundance is decreased during in vivo conditions associated with increased glucocorticoids. ..
- Sex, SLE, and Signal TransductionJill Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Expression of ammonia-sensitive proteins in the CNSI Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..Second, while these studies are admittedly high risk, their results could lead to a breakthrough in the field of hyperammonemic and hepatic encephalopathy. ..
- FOREBRAIN AND HINDBRAIN MECHANISMS OF SALT APPETITEROBERT THUNHORST; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Glucocorticoid Effects on Blood Pressure RegulationDavid Geller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- BRAIN OXYTOCIN AND ETHANOL EFFECT ON INGESTIVE BEHAVIORJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2001....