Summary: A precursor of noradrenaline that is used in the treatment of parkinsonism. The racemic form (DL-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine) has also been used, and has been investigated in the treatment of orthostatic hypotension. There is a deficit of noradrenaline as well as of dopamine in Parkinson's disease and it has been proposed that this underlies the sudden transient freezing seen usually in advanced disease. Administration of DL-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine has been claimed to result in an improvement in this phenomenon but controlled studies have failed to demonstrate improvement. (Reynolds JEF(Ed): Martindale: The Extra Pharmacopoeia (electronic version). Micromedex, Inc, Englewood, CO, 1995)
Publications127 found, 100 shown here
- L-dihydroxyphenylserine (Droxidopa): a new therapy for neurogenic orthostatic hypotension: the US experienceHoracio Kaufmann
Dysautonomia Research Laboratory, New York University School of Medicine, 530 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Auton Res 18:19-24. 2008..In double blind, cross over, placebo controlled trials, administration of droxidopa, a synthetic amino acid that is decarboxylated to norepinephrine by the enzyme L: -aromatic amino acid ..
- L-threo-dihydroxyphenylserine (L-threo-DOPS; droxidopa) in the management of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension: a multi-national, multi-center, dose-ranging study in multiple system atrophy and pure autonomic failureC J Mathias
Neurovascular Medicine Unit, Division of Neuroscience and Psychological Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine at St Mary s, London, UK
Clin Auton Res 11:235-42. 2001..In conclusion, L-threo-DOPS (100, 200, and 300 mg, twice daily) was well tolerated. The dosage of 300 mg twice daily L-threo-DOPS seemed to offer the most effective control of symptomatic orthostatic hypotension in MSA and PAF...
- L-dihydroxyphenylserine (Droxidopa) in the treatment of orthostatic hypotension: the European experienceChristopher J Mathias
Neurovascular Medicine Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London at St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London, W2 1NY, UK
Clin Auton Res 18:25-9. 2008..L-threo-dihydroxyphenyslerine (Droxidopa) is a pro-drug which has a structure similar to noradrenaline, but with a carboxyl group...
- An explanation of the unexpected efficacy of L-DOPS in pure autonomic failureMurray Esler
Clin Auton Res 14:356-7. 2004
- L-threo 3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine treatment during mouse perinatal and rat postnatal development does not alter the impact of dietary copper deficiencyJoshua W Pyatskowit
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Minnesota Medical School Duluth, 1035 University Drive, Duluth, MN 55812, USA
Nutr Neurosci 8:173-81. 2005..DOPS treatment did not alter this pattern. Although DOPS was present in treated animal's tissues, survival in mice and catecholamine levels in mice and rats were not altered by the 1 mg/ml dose of DOPS...
- L-DOPS therapy for refractory orthostatic hypotension in autoimmune autonomic neuropathyChristopher H Gibbons
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neurology 65:1104-6. 2005..L-DOPS may benefit patients with severe orthostatic intolerance and be particularly effective in patients with ganglionic NiAchR antibodies...
- Norepinephrine-deficient mice lack responses to antidepressant drugs, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitorsJohn F Cryan
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8186-91. 2004..These data show that NE plays an important role in mediating acute behavioral and neurochemical actions of many antidepressants, including most SSRIs...
- Norepinephrine precursor therapy in neurogenic orthostatic hypotensionHoracio Kaufmann
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1052, New York, NY 10029, USA
Circulation 108:724-8. 2003..In patients with neurogenic orthostatic hypotension (NOH), the availability of the sympathetic neurotransmitter norepinephrine (NE) in the synaptic cleft is insufficient to maintain blood pressure while in the standing posture...
- [Human striatal D-neurons and their significance]Keiko Ikemoto
Clinical Research Institute, National Minami Hanamaki Hospital, 500, Suwa, Hanamaki, 025 0033 Japan
Nihon Shinkei Seishin Yakurigaku Zasshi 22:131-5. 2002..of efficacy of pharmacotherapy for Parkinson's disease by uptaking monoamine precursors, including L-dopa or droxidopa (L-threo-DOPS), and by converting them to dopamine (DA) or noradrenaline (NA), respectively...
- Comment on "Midodrine hydrochloride and L-threo-3,4-dihydroxy-phenylserine preserve cerebral blood flow in hemodialysis patients with orthostatic hypotension" by Fujisaki et alVijay Sharma
Ther Apher Dial 11:407-8. 2007
- Neurogenic orthostatic hypotension: new prospects in treatment. IntroductionHoracio Kaufmann
Clin Auton Res 18:1. 2008
- Case report: Marathon runner with severe autonomic failureEmily M Garland
Autonomic Dysfunction Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Lancet 366:S13. 2005
- Clinical effects of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on orthostatic hypotension in hemodialysis patientsTadao Akizawa
Center for Purification Therapy, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama City, Japan
Nephron 90:384-90. 2002..These findings indicate that L-DOPS taken before hemodialysis prevents orthostatic hypotension in patients undergoing hemodialysis, and is also effective for the interdialytic symptoms related to orthostatic hypotension...
- Thermoregulatory and metabolic phenotypes of mice lacking noradrenaline and adrenalineS A Thomas
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7370, USA
Nature 387:94-7. 1997..The unexpected increase in basal metabolic rate is not due to hyperthyroidism, compensation by the widely expressed uncoupling protein UCP2, or shivering...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of the norepinephrine precursor L-threo-DOPS in primary chronic autonomic failureDavid S Goldstein
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1620, USA
Clin Auton Res 14:363-8. 2004....
- Behavior of fluorinated analogs of L-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)alanine and L-threo-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)serine as substrates for Dopa decarboxylaseCarla Borri Voltattorni
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e della Visione, Sezione di Chimica Biologica, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:107-11. 2002..Condensation of fluorinated catecholamines and catechol amino acids with endogenous aldehydes will be investigated as an approach to study possible mechanisms of L-Dopa-linked neurotoxicity...
- [Simple method for precognition of drug interaction between oral iron and phenolic hydroxyl group-containing drugs]Nobuyoshi Sunagane
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda City 278 8510, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 125:197-203. 2005..When a levodopa or droxidopa preparation, judged as grade 3 in screening, was concomitantly administered with an iron preparation, a ..
- [Pure akinesia presenting with antecollis]Satoru Ota
Department of Neurology, Tokyo Metropolitan Matsuzawa Hospital, 2 1 1 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 0057, Japan
No To Shinkei 57:893-8. 2005..This is the first case of antecollis induced by L-DOPS in a pure akinesia patient, providing important information on mechanism of drug induced dystonia and indicating caution in the clinical use of L-DOPS...
- Effects of dopaminergic agents on reversal of reserpine-induced impairment in conditioned avoidance response in ratsT Nakagawa
Central Research Institute, Kaken Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Kyoto, Japan
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 58:829-36. 1997..These results suggest that the DAergic nervous system rather than the adrenergic or 5-HT nervous system is involved in RII in CAR, and that both the DAergic D1- and D2-mediated nervous systems play important roles in this process...
- Orthostatic hypotension in patients with Parkinson's disease: pathophysiology and managementJ M Senard
Laboratory of Medical and Clinical Pharmacology, INSERM U317, Faculty of Medicine, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
Drugs Aging 18:495-505. 2001..There are also some drugs that are currently investigational such as yohimbine and droxidopa. Other drugs such as desmopressin or octreotide may be of interest in some situations...
- Locus ceruleus controls Alzheimer's disease pathology by modulating microglial functions through norepinephrineMichael T Heneka
Department of Neurology, Deutsches Zentrum für Neurodegenerative Erkrankungen, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:6058-63. 2010..Consequently, therapies targeting microglial phagocytosis should be tested under NE depletion...
- The Movement Disorder Society--14th International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement DisordersDonald Grosset
Southern General Hospital, Department of Neurology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Glasgow, UK
IDrugs 13:539-42. 2010..on drug treatments for movement disorders, including safinamide (Merck Serono SA), PYM-50028 (Phytopharm plc), droxidopa, pardoprunox (Abbott Laboratories); treatment considerations for dystonia; exploiting existing drugs for new ..
- Tyrosine hydroxylase and aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase do not coexist in neurons in the human anterior cingulate cortexK Ikemoto
Department of Anatomy, Fujita Heath University, School of Medicine, Toyoake, Japan
Neurosci Lett 269:37-40. 1999..AADC neurons in the human ACC might transform L-DOPA to dopamine, droxidopa to noradrenaline, and/or 5-hydroxytryptophan to serotonin.
- Total norepinephrine spillover, muscle sympathetic nerve activity and heart-rate spectral analysis in a patient with dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiencyJ M Thompson
Alfred Baker Medical Unit, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Auton Nerv Syst 55:198-206. 1995....
- Central nervous stimulants facilitate sexual behavior in male rats with medial prefrontal cortex lesionsA Agmo
Department of Psychology, Universidad Anahuac, Mexico City, Mexico
Brain Res 696:187-93. 1995..Noradrenergic stimulation cannot, therefore, be important for the effects of amphetamine or amfonelic acid...
- The effects of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on the total norepinephrine and dopamine concentrations in the cerebrospinal fluid and freezing gait in parkinsonian patientsH Tohgi
Department of Neurology, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect 5:27-34. 1993..These results indicate that L-DOPS administration increases the NE concentration dose-dependently, and is effective for freezing of gait of moderate severity...
- L-Dihydroxyphenylserine (L-DOPS): a norepinephrine prodrugDavid S Goldstein
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 24:189-203. 2006..L-DOPS holds promise for treating other much more common conditions involving decreased DBH activity or NE deficiency, such as a variety of syndromes associated with neurogenic orthostatic hypotension...
- Recent advances in pharmacological therapy of Parkinson's diseaseP Riederer
Department of Clinical Neurochemistry, University Hospital for Nervous Diseases, Wurzburg, Germany
Adv Neurol 60:626-35. 1993..Possible neuroprotective strategies include selective MAO-B inhibitors, iron chelators, and free radical scavengers...
- The protective effect of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on ischemic hippocampal neuronal death in gerbilsT H Lee
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Stroke 25:1425-31; discussion 1432. 1994..We evaluated the possible protective effect of DOPS against hippocampal CA1 cell death after transient forebrain ischemia in gerbils...
- [Development of L-threo-DOPS, a norepinephrine precursor amino acid]J Katsube
Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 114:823-46. 1994..The R & D of L-DOPS described in this paper includes studies on industrial production, efficacy pharmacology (mode of action), metabolism and clinical trial of this agent...
- Effect of midodrine on chlorpromazine-induced orthostatic hypotension in rabbits: comparison with amezinium, etilefrine and droxidopaJ Kurihara
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Teikyo University, Sagamiko, Kanagawa, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 23:1445-9. 2000..was investigated in comparison with amezinium (10 and 30 mg/kg, i.d.), etilefrine (10 and 30 mg/kg, i.d.) and droxidopa (30 and 100 mg/kg, i.d.)...
- An L-DOPA-like depressor action of L-threo-dihydroxyphenyl-serine in the rat caudal ventrolateral medullaN Furukawa
Department of Pharmacology, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Life Sci 61:1177-83. 1997..001-100 ng), which contrasted with the cardiopressor action of L-DOPA applied in RVLM. In RVLM, there may exist an L-threo-DOPS-insensitive recognition site for L-DOPA...
- Improved cardiac iodine-123 metaiodobenzylguanidine accumulation after drug therapy in a patient with Parkinson's diseaseN Kanzaki
Department of Radiology, National Minami Okayama Hospital, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 22:697-9. 1997..Cardiac I-123 MIBG imaging may be a promising new method for evaluating drug therapy in patients with Parkinson's disease...
- Impaired maternal behavior in mice lacking norepinephrine and epinephrineS A Thomas
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Cell 91:583-92. 1997..Our results suggest that NE is responsible for long-lasting changes that promote maternal behavior during both development and parturition in mice...
- Optimal production of L-threo-2,3-dihydroxyphenylserine (L-threo-DOPS) on a large scale by diastereoselectivity-enhanced variant of L-threonine aldolase expressed in Escherichia coliHui Jeong Gwon
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, and Research Institute of Human Ecology, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Jeonbuk, Korea
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 42:143-54. 2012..2%. Our results indicate this potential procedure as an economical purification process for the synthesis and purification of important L-threo-DOPS at the pharmaceutical level...
- L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine enhances the orthostatic responses of plasma renin activity and angiotensin II in multiple system atrophyT Yoshizawa
Department of Neurology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba City, Japan
J Neurol 246:193-7. 1999..The enhanced responses of these vasoactive mediators by L-threo-DOPS during head-up tilt may contribute to the improvement in orthostatic hypotension in patients with MSA...
- The treatment of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension with 3,4-DL-threo-dihydroxyphenylserine: a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trialR Freeman
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neurology 53:2151-7. 1999..To study the therapeutic effect and mechanism of action of 3,4-DL-threodihydroxyphenylserine (DL-DOPS) in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension...
- Synthesis of 2-fluoro- and 6-fluoro-(2S,3R)-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)serine as potential in vivo precursors of fluorinated norepinephrinesB Herbert
Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Org Chem 66:4892-7. 2001..Removal of the chiral auxiliary and blocking groups produced the target amino acids 2-fluoro- and 6-fluoro-(2S,3R)-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)serine (1b and 1c) in >98% ee...
- Contamination of the norepinephrine prodrug droxidopa by dihydroxyphenylacetaldehydeCourtney Holmes
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1620, USA
Clin Chem 56:832-8. 2010L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine (L-DOPS, droxidopa) is a norepinephrine (NE) prodrug under development to treat orthostatic hypotension...
- Structural optimization of SadA, an Fe(II)- and α-ketoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase targeting biocatalytic synthesis of N-succinyl-L-threo-3,4-dimethoxyphenylserineHui min Qin
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 450:1458-61. 2014L-threo-3,4-Dihydroxyphenylserine (l-DOPS, Droxidopa) is a psychoactive drug and synthetic amino acid precursor that acts as a prodrug to the neurotransmitters...
- Outflow of dopamine and noradrenaline originating from L-dopa and L-threo-DOPS in rat renal tissuesM Pestana
Institute of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, Porto, Portugal
Gen Pharmacol 25:879-85. 1994..The administration of L-DOPS was also found to be accompanied by the accumulation in renal tissues of DOPEG; this was, however, not dose dependent.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Determination of D,L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine and of the D- and L-enantiomers in human plasma and urineF Boomsma
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Dijkzigt, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Chromatogr 427:219-27. 1988..28; r = 0.997; n = 52). Excellent agreement was found between the sum of the D- and L-DOPS concentrations and the measured total D,L-DOPS concentration (regression line DOPS (D + L) = 0.955 DOPS (total, LE) + 116.65; r = 0.992; n = 100)...
- Dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiency. A genetic disorder of cardiovascular regulationD Robertson
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn 37232 2195
Hypertension 18:1-8. 1991..Most currently recognized patients are young or middle-aged adults. The diagnosis is established by the observation of severe orthostatic hypotension in a patient whose plasma norepinephrine/dopamine ratio is much less than one...
- Effects of L-threo-DOPS, a noradrenaline precursor, on the long-term potentiation in the rat hippocampal mossy fiber-CA3 regionN Sakai
Department of Pharmacology, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
Brain Res 567:267-73. 1991..These results suggest that NE converted from L-threo-DOPS plays an important role in inducing LTP in the mossy fiber-CA3 system in the animals deficient in catecholamines...
- [Inhibitory effects of L-threo-DOPS on electroshock seizure in mice]M Yoshida
Department of Neurology, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
No To Shinkei 41:567-73. 1989..It was suggested that L-DOPS would be a useful substance for the investigation on a role of NE in experimental epilepsy and could be used clinically as an adjunct drug for generalized tonic-clonic convulsions...
- Effect of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on muscle sympathetic nerve activities in Shy-Drager syndromeT Kachi
Department of Neurology, National Chubu Hospital, Obu, Japan
Neurology 38:1091-4. 1988..We suggest that the OH improved mainly because of the increase in MSA due to L-threo-DOPS, and that the drug may activate sympathetic outflow at a site proximal to the sympathetic ganglion...
- Shy-Drager syndrome. Effect of fludrocortisone and L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on the blood pressure and regional cerebral blood flowS Matsubara
Department of Neurology, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 53:994-7. 1990..Fludrocortisone reduced the fall of the mean blood pressure significantly. DOPS reduced the fall of both the diastolic blood pressure and rCBF significantly...
- Effects of biogenic amine precursors on ovarian steroid-induced LH release in acutely ovariectomized ratsW P Pi
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, R O C
Chin J Physiol 33:335-43. 1990..Results imply that the classical neurotransmitters in the central nervous system might modify the threshold of LHRH neurons in the hypothalamus...
- Clinical, autonomic and therapeutic observations in two siblings with postural hypotension and sympathetic failure due to an inability to synthesize noradrenaline from dopamine because of a deficiency of dopamine beta hydroxylaseC J Mathias
Department of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, London
Q J Med 75:617-33. 1990..The laevo isomer also raised blood pressure and plasma noradrenaline levels. The drug had no direct pressor effects, as its actions were prevented by the dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor, carbidopa...
- [Metrizamide encephalopathy in a child with hydrocephalus--effects of L-threo-DOPS on persistent disturbance of consciousness and L-dopa on extrapyramidal symptoms]S Usui
Department of Neurology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
No To Shinkei 40:1075-80. 1988....
- Effects of L-threo- and erythro-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on learning performance and concentrations of brain noradrenaline and its metabolites in ratsH Harada
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Japan
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 43:215-21. 1992..On the other hand, an intraventricular injection of 5 micrograms L-erythro-DOPS (the r-NA precursor) attenuated the learning performance, and this effect was probably caused by the formed r-NA from L-erythro-DOPS...
- Treatment of dialysis-induced hypotension with L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserineN Iida
Department of Nephrology, Osaka Prefectural Hospital, Japan
Nephrol Dial Transplant 9:1130-5. 1994..L-DOPS appeared to be an effective and well-tolerated treatment for the prevention of dialysis-induced hypotension...
- d,l-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine restores sympathetic control and cures orthostatic hypotension in dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiencyA J Man in 't Veld
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Dijkzigt, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Hypertens Suppl 6:S547-9. 1988..Acting as an alternative substrate for ALAAD in the production of noradrenaline, DOPS is taken up by the neuron, restoring sympathetic control and thereby curing the orthostatic hypotension in DBH deficiency...
- A pharmacological study of hibernation in rodentsC P Lyman
Concord Field Station, Harvard University, Bedford, MA 01730
Gen Pharmacol 19:565-71. 1988..6. Phenylephrine caused vasoconstriction, but did not result in arousal. 7. No drug increased the sensitivity to peripheral stimuli during hibernation...
- Endogenous restoration of noradrenaline by precursor therapy in dopamine-beta-hydroxylase deficiencyI Biaggioni
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232
Lancet 2:1170-2. 1987..88, p less than 0.05). Urinary noradrenaline increased from undetectable levels to 338 and 511 micrograms/24 h. Standing time (a correlate of functional capacity) also increased significantly in both patients. No side-effects were noted...
- Gata3 loss leads to embryonic lethality due to noradrenaline deficiency of the sympathetic nervous systemK C Lim
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Nat Genet 25:209-12. 2000..Thus we have shown that Gata3 has a role in the differentiation of multiple cell lineages during embryogenesis...
- [A case of progressive supranuclear palsy dramatically improved with L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine]T Maruyama
Department of Neurology, Rehabilitation Center Kakeyu Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 32:606-11. 1992..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Differential effect of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine in pure autonomic failure and multiple system atrophy with autonomic failureH Kaufmann
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, City University of New York, New York
J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect 3:143-8. 1991..These results suggest that the site of action of L-threo-dops is central and that its pressor effect requires intact peripheral sympathetic neurons...
- Medical treatment of freezing of gaitNir Giladi
Movement Disorders Unit, Department of Neurology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Mov Disord 23:S482-8. 2008....
- Emerging drugs for autonomic dysfunction in Parkinson's diseaseSantiago Perez-Lloret
University of Toulouse III, University Hospital, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Neuroscience, Toulouse, France
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 18:39-53. 2013..Even though its treatment has been recognized as a major unmet need in PD, there is a paucity of clinical trials to assess their treatment...
- Hemodynamic effects of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine (Droxidopa) in hypotensive individuals with spinal cord injuryJill M Wecht
Center of Excellence, James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, NY Medical Service, James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, NY Department of Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY Electronic address
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 94:2006-12. 2013To determine the effect of an escalating dose of droxidopa (100, 200, and 400 mg) compared with placebo on seated blood pressure (BP) in hypotensive individuals with spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- Is there room for new non-dopaminergic treatments in Parkinson's disease?Manuela Pilleri
Department for Parkinson s Disease, IRCCS San Camillo, via Alberoni 70, Venice, Italy
J Neural Transm 120:349-52. 2013....
- L-threo-dihydroxyphenylserine corrects neurochemical abnormalities in a Menkes disease mouse modelAnthony Donsante
Unit on Human Copper Metabolism, Molecular Medicine Program, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Rockville, MD 20892 1853, USA
Ann Neurol 73:259-65. 2013....
- Embryonic lethality in mice lacking mismatch-specific thymine DNA glycosylase is partially prevented by DOPS, a precursor of noradrenalineYusuke Saito
Department of Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 226:75-83. 2012..5 dpc, suggesting that the lethality in (-/-) embryos is partially due to the reduction of noradrenaline. These results suggest that embryonic lethality in Tdg (-/-) embryos is due, in part, to the reduction of noradrenaline levels...
- The noradrenaline precursor L-DOPS reduces pathology in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseSergey Kalinin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Neurobiol Aging 33:1651-63. 2012..These data demonstrate the presence of LC stress in a robust mouse model of AD, and suggest that raising CNS NA levels could provide benefit in AD...
- [Localization of non-monoaminergic aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase neurons (D-neurons) in the human striatum and their functional significance]Keiko Ikemoto
Clinical Research Institute, National Minami Hanamaki Hospital, 500 Suwa, Hanamaki, Iwate 025 0033, Japan
Kaibogaku Zasshi 77:71-5. 2002..of efficacy of pharmacotherapy for Parkinson's disease by uptaking monoamine precursors including L-dopa or droxidopa (L-threo-DOPS) and by converting them to dopamine or noradrenaline, respectively...
- Pure akinesia: an atypical manifestation of progressive supranuclear palsyH Matsuo
First Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University, School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 54:397-400. 1991..At necropsy, pathological findings were not different from those reported for PSP. It is suggested that "pure akinesia" is an atypical manifestation of PSP, and that norepinephrinergic neurons may be involved in some types of PSP...
- Diuretic effects of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine (L-threo-DOPS) in anesthetized ratsS Morimoto
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 52:431-9. 1990..These results indicate that diuresis and natriuresis induced by L-threo-DOPS are dependent on the pressor effect of NE via peripheral alpha-adrenoceptor activation...
- [Analysis of L-threo-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylserine effect on motor and psychological symptoms in Parkinson's disease]H Narabayashi
Neurological Clinic, Tokyo, Japan
No To Shinkei 43:263-8. 1991..Importance of the role of aging of the brain in each individual patient is discussed and interpreted in relation to the difference of clinical pictures...
- Sleeping with and without norepinephrine: effects of metoclopramide and D,L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on sleep in dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiencyJ H Tulen
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Dijkzigt, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Sleep 14:32-8. 1991..These data indicate that in patients with DBH deficiency norepinephrine is not essential for the development of a normal sleep/wake pattern but may have a facilitatory role in the generation of REM sleep...
- L-threodops increases extracellular norepinephrine levels in the brain: an in vivo studyT Brannan
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029
Neurology 40:1134-5. 1990..When peripheral decarboxylase activity was inhibited with carbidopa, administration of the same dose of L-threodops induced a 2.5-fold greater increase in norepinephrine levels...
- Role of noradrenergic signaling by the nucleus tractus solitarius in mediating opiate rewardValerie G Olson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 311:1017-20. 2006..Morphine-induced locomotion was partially restored by DBH expression in either brain region. These data suggest that NE signaling by the nucleus tractus solitarius is necessary for morphine reward...
- A requirement for memory retrieval during and after long-term extinction learningMing Ouyang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9347-52. 2005..In addition, the timing over which extinction is sensitive to adrenergic manipulation suggests a model whereby memory retrieval occurs during, and several hours after, extinction learning to consolidate long-term extinction memory...
- Noradrenaline is necessary for the hedonic properties of addictive drugsLuc Jasmin
Department of Neurological Surgery and W M Keck Foundation Center for Integrative Neuroscience, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 45:243-50. 2006..The reversibility of this phenomenon, by restoring NA, indicates that even when this behavioral deficit is genetically determined it can be reversed...
- A case of syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone associated with diabetes mellitusK Sato
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Endocrinol Jpn 38:331-8. 1991..After treatment with droxidopa "a sympathomimetic drug", ambulatory blood pressure gradually increased and hyponatremia disappeared...
- Noradrenergic control of cortico-striato-thalamic and mesolimbic cross-structural synchronyKafui Dzirasa
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 30:6387-97. 2010....
- [New perspectives on molecular and genic therapies in Down syndrome]Jean Maurice Delabar
Unité de Biologie Fonctionnelle et Adaptative BFA, EAC CNRS 4413, Universite Paris Diderot, Marie Andrée Lagroua Weill Hallé, Batiment Lamarck, 75205 Paris, France
Med Sci (Paris) 26:371-6. 2010..It is promising that strategies targeting specific genes or specific pathways are already giving positive results...
- Effect of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine on muscle sympathetic nerve activity in humansS Iwase
Department of Autonomic and Behavioral Neurosciences, Nagoya University, Japan
J Auton Nerv Syst 39:159-67. 1992....
- Activation of an adrenergic pro-drug through sequential stereoselective action of tandem target enzymesJ Debnath
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta 30332
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 189:33-9. 1992..These results provide a heretofore unrecognized rationale for the bioactivity of L-erythro DOPS and provide a basis for the design of new adrenergic pro-drugs...
- Treatment of dysautonomia associated with Parkinson's diseaseGiovanni Mostile
Parkinson s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S224-32. 2009..Orthostatic hypotension: fludrocortisone, midodrine, and droxidopa; 2. Sialorrhea: glycopyrrolate and botulinun toxin injections; 3...
- L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine enhanced ocular dominance plasticity in adult catsN Mataga
Department of Neuroscience, Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Neurosci Lett 142:115-8. 1992..These results suggest that peripheral administration of L-threo-DOPS enhances ocular dominance plasticity, presumably through activation of the central noradrenergic system...
- Diastereoselective synthesis of L: -threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine by low-specific L: -threonine aldolase mutantsHui Jeong Gwon
Advanced Radiation Technology Institute, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 1266 Jeongeup, Jeonbuk, 580 185, Republic of Korea
Biotechnol Lett 32:143-9. 2010..When aldol condensation activity was examined using whole cells of T3-3mm2, its de was constantly maintained at 55% during the batch reactions for 80 h, yielding 3.8 mg L: -threo-DOPS/ml...
- Enhanced synthesis of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine by high-density whole-cell biocatalyst of recombinant L-threonine aldolase from Streptomyces avelmitilisSang Ho Baik
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Jeonbuk, 561 756, South Korea
Biotechnol Lett 31:443-8. 2009..75% Triton-X, 5 g E. coli cells/l, pH 6.5 and 10 degrees C. In the optimized condition, overall productivity was 8 g/l, which represents 40 times the synthesis yield possible with no optimization of conditions...
- Alpha2-adrenoceptor blockade accelerates the neurogenic, neurotrophic, and behavioral effects of chronic antidepressant treatmentSudhirkumar U Yanpallewar
Department of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai 400005, India
J Neurosci 30:1096-109. 2010....
- [A case of "pure" progressive autonomic failure in an elderly male]T Kuwahara
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Ehime University School of Medicine
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 29:790-3. 1992..It shows symptoms of autonomic failure without other neurological disturbances which manifest as Shy-Drager syndrome. Treatment with L-DOPS increased his blood pressure level and attenuated his symptoms due to orthostatic hypotension...
- Effect of L-threo-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylserine on orthostatic hypotension in a patient with spinal cord injuryS Muneta
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Ehime University School of Medicine, Japan
Jpn Circ J 56:243-7. 1992..Treatment of the patient with salt supplement and L-threo-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylserine, an exogenous precursor of norepinephrine, markedly improved the syncopal attack as well as the daily activity...
- Effect of long-term L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine administration on alpha 2-adrenergic receptors in platelet membranes in neurologic disordersT Azuma
Center for Adult Disease, Osaka, Japan
Acta Neurol Scand 84:46-50. 1991....
- Synthesis of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine (L-threo-DOPS) with thermostabilized low-specific L-threonine aldolase from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2)Sang Ho Balk
NITE Biological Resource Center, National Institute of Technology and Evaluation, 2 5 8 Kazusa kamatari, Kisarazu shi, Chiba 292 0818, Japan
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:721-7. 2007..0 mg/ml of L-threo-DOPS. This result showed that H44 L-TA is more effective than the wild-type L-TA for the mass production of L-threo-DOPS...
- Midodrine hydrochloride and L-threo-3,4-dihydroxy-phenylserine preserve cerebral blood flow in hemodialysis patients with orthostatic hypotensionKiichiro Fujisaki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Ther Apher Dial 11:49-55. 2007..Although MID and L-DOPS did not prevent OH after HD in HD patients, both agents preserved cerebral blood flow during orthostasis in HD patients with OH...
- DBH deficiency in an elderly patient: efficacy and safety of chronic droxidopaFabien Despas
INSERM U858 équipe 8, 31432 Toulouse, France
Clin Auton Res 20:205-7. 2010We describe the effects of chronic droxidopa in a patient with Dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiency diagnosed at the age of 73...
- Significance of human striatal D-neurons: implications in neuropsychiatric functionsKeiko Ikemoto
Clinical Research Institute, National Minami Hanamaki Hospital, 500 Suwa, Hanamaki, Iwate, 025 0033, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 28:429-34. 2004..of efficacy of pharmacotherapy for Parkinson's disease by taking up monoamine precursors including L-dopa or droxidopa (L-threo-DOPS) and by converting them to dopamine or noradrenaline, respectively...
- Amine precursor amino acid therapy: from neurochemical basis to clinical aspectsT Nakajima
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Kyoto Perfectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyoku, Kyoto, Japan
Neurochem Res 21:251-8. 1996..Furthermore, peculiar or artificial amino acids which are metabolized into the brain amine or their derivatives and promised their clinical application are also introduced...
- [The effect of droxidopa on the monoamine metabolsim in the human brain]W Maruyama
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University School of Medicine
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 34:985-90. 1994b>Droxidopa (L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine) is an artificial amino acid, which is used to supplement noradrenaline (NA) in neurodegenerative disorders...
- The treatment of postprandial hypotension in autonomic failure with 3,4-DL-threo-dihydroxyphenylserineR Freeman
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for the Aged, Boston, MA, USA
Neurology 47:1414-20. 1996....
- The effects of the noradrenaline precursor, L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine, in children with orthostatic intoleranceH Tanaka
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka Medical College, Japan
Clin Auton Res 6:189-93. 1996..There were no adverse effects reported. These preliminary studies have indicated that L-DOPS may be an effective drug for the treatment of orthostatic intolerance in children...
- The metabolism of L-DOPA and L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine and their effects on monoamines in the human brain: analysis of the intraventricular fluid from parkinsonian patientsW Maruyama
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurol Sci 139:141-8. 1996..An overview of the metabolism of neurotransmitters in the brain proved to be useful to evaluate the therapeutic effects of these precursor amino acids...
- Effect of monoamine precursors on the forced-swimming test in miceJ I Semba
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 95:222-5. 1988..These results suggest possible antidepressant properties of DOPA and DOPS, the latter of which may act as an antidepressant in a certain NE-depleting condition...
- The role of L-threo DOPS in the control of Na-K ATPase activity of the marginal cells in the stria vascularis of reserpinized guinea pigsN Kanoh
Department of Otolaryngology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 520:381-3. 1995..These results suggest that catecholamines may play an essential role in the maintenance or control of the Na-K ATPase activity, and that the stria vascularis may be one of the target organs of catecholamines...
- Acute pandysautonomia: mass spectrometric and histopathological studies of the sympathetic nervous system during long term L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine treatmentM Ushiyama
Department of Neurology, Kenwakai Hospital, Iida, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 61:99-102. 1996..Noradrenergic nerve fibres in the rectal mucosa showed no recovery, and so clinical improvement had occurred without apparent significant regeneration of the peripheral autonomic nerves...
- A new metabolic pathway of L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine, a precursor amino acid of norepinephrine, in the brain. Studies by in vivo microdialysisW Maruyama
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect 7:21-33. 1994..Inhibition of DOPS-aldolase should improve its effectiveness as the supplement therapy of norepinephrine...
- Studies of neurocirculatory effects of long-term L-threo-3,4-dihydroxyphenylserine administration in a patient with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathyT Azuma
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Osaka University Hospital, Japan
Acta Neurol Scand 77:409-13. 1988..Testing of autonomic function under telemetric intra-arterial pressure monitoring before and during L-threo-DOPS treatment clearly demonstrated the pathophysiology of the sympathetic nervous system and its modification by L-threo-DOPS...
- PHARMACOLOGIC PROBES IN NEURALLY-MEDIATED SYNCOPEItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will be directly applicable to the evaluation and treatment of patients with these incapacitating disorders. ..
- Adenosine and Nitric Oxide DeficiencyItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Autonomic Nervous System in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- OTOLITH INFLUENCES ON SYMPATHETIC ACTIVITYHoracio Kaufmann; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Carbidopa for the treatment of nausea and vomiting in familial dysautonomiaIND #Horacio Kaufmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Their long-term goal is to treat nausea effectively and without side effects, a therapeutic intervention that will markedly improve the quality of life of patients with FD. ..