Genomes and Genes
Summary: Antibiotic substance produced by various Streptomyces species. It is an inhibitor of enzymatic activities that involve glutamine and is used as an antineoplastic and immunosuppressive agent.
Publications138 found, 100 shown here
- Purification and characterization of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase from the silkworm fat body (Bombyx mori)C Hirayama
National Institute of Sericultural and Entomological Science, Ibaraki, Japan
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 28:473-82. 1998..5, at which Km values for 2-oxoglutarate, glutamine and NADH were 17, 220 and 5.7 micro M, respectively. Azaserine, 6-diazo-5-oxonorleucine and p-chloromercuribenzoic acid were strong inhibitors of the activity...
- The hexosamine biosynthesis pathway regulates insulin secretion via protein glycosylation in mouse isletsSakeneh Zraika
Department of Medicine, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3050, Australia
Arch Biochem Biophys 405:275-9. 2002..This finding may have implications for the development of type 2 diabetes, as chronic increase in flux through the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway may lead to the deterioration of beta-cell function via abnormal protein glycosylation...
- Inhibitory effects of estrogen and castration on the early stage of pancreatic carcinogenesis in Fischer rats treated with azaserineC Sumi
Department of Pathology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03756
Cancer Res 49:2332-6. 1989Effects of sex steroids on pancreatic carcinogenesis during the early stage were studied in azaserine-treated rats of both sexes. Fischer rats were given weekly i.p...
- Cellular autophagic capacity changes during azaserine-induced tumour progression in the rat pancreas. Up-regulation in all premalignant stages and down-regulation with loss of cycloheximide sensitivity of segregation along with malignant transformationSzilveszter Tóth
Department of General Zoology, Lorand Eotvos University, Budapest, Pf 120, 1518, Hungary
Cell Tissue Res 309:409-16. 2002..of cytoplasmic quanta were highly increased in premalignant nodule cells 6 months after initiation by azaserine in the rat pancreas in vivo...
- The hexosamine biosynthesis inhibitor azaserine prevents endothelial inflammation and dysfunction under hyperglycemic condition through antioxidant effectsAngana Gupta Rajapakse
Division of Physiology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Science, University of Fribourg, Fribourg, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H815-22. 2009..We investigated whether the HBP inhibitor azaserine protects against hyperglycemia-induced endothelial damage dependently of HBP...
- Cellular autophagic capacity is highly increased in azaserine-induced premalignant atypical acinar nodule cellsG Réz
Department of General Zoology, Lorand Eotvos University, pf 330, H 1445 Budapest, Hungary grez2cerberus elte hu
Carcinogenesis 20:1893-8. 1999..into the possible changes in autophagic activity during progression of rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma induced by azaserine and promoted by a raw soya flour-containing pancreatotrophic diet...
- Overexpression of messenger RNA for cholecystokinin-A receptor and novel expression of messenger RNA for gastrin (cholecystokinin-B) receptor in azaserine-induced rat pancreatic carcinomaW Zhou
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH
Carcinogenesis 14:2189-92. 1993..the high-affinity cholecystokinin (CCK) receptor and the novel expression of the gastrin (CCK-B) receptor in the azaserine-induced rat pancreatic carcinoma DSL-6...
- Overexpression of cholecystokinin receptors in azaserine-induced neoplasms of the rat pancreasR H Bell
Department of Pathology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03756
Cancer Res 52:3295-9. 1992..b>Azaserine-induced pancreatic carcinoma (DSL6) had an increased high-affinity CCK receptor binding capacity of 122 +/- 23 (..
- Inhibition of glycosaminoglycan synthesis and protein glycosylation with WAS-406 and azaserine result in reduced islet amyloid formation in vitroRebecca L Hull
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1586-93. 2007..b>Azaserine, an inhibitor of the rate-limiting step of the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway, replicated the effects of WAS-..
- Changes in cellular autophagic capacity during azaserine-initiated pancreatic carcinogenesisS Toth
Department of General Zoology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
Acta Biol Hung 52:393-401. 2001..the possible changes of autophagic activity during the progression of rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma induced by azaserine. In the present study, autophagic capacity of the azaserine-induced premalignant and malignant cells were ..
- The cytotoxicity of DNA carboxymethylation and methylation by the model carboxymethylating agent azaserine in human cellsM O'Driscoll
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Clare Hall Laboratories, South Mimms, Herts EN6 3LD, London, UK
Carcinogenesis 20:1855-62. 1999..The cytotoxicity of the model DNA carboxymethylating agent azaserine was investigated in human cells...
- Transforming growth factor-alpha and epidermal growth factor expression in the exocrine pancreas of azaserine-treated rats: modulation by cholecystokinin or a low fat, high fiber (caloric restricted) dietC J Visser
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Carcinogenesis 16:2075-82. 1995..growth factor (EGF) was studied in normal pancreatic tissue and in (pre)neoplastic pancreatic lesions of azaserine-treated rats...
- Dietary fish oil (MaxEPA) enhances pancreatic carcinogenesis in azaserine-treated ratsM J Appel
TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute, Department of Pathology, Zeist, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 73:36-43. 1996In the present study the putative chemopreventive effect of dietary fish oil (MaxEPA) on azaserine-induced pancreatic carcinogenesis in rats was investigated...
- Expression of c-myc, c-raf-1, and c-Ki-ras in azaserine-induced pancreatic carcinomas and growing pancreas in ratsJ A Silverman
Department of Pathology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03756
Mol Carcinog 3:379-86. 1990..We also investigated proto-oncogene expression associated with the progression of pancreatic cancers in azaserine-treated rats...
- Effects of a diet high in fish oil (MaxEPA) on the formation of micronucleated erythrocytes in blood and on the number of atypical acinar cell foci Induced in rat pancreas by azaserineMarko J Appel
Department of General Toxicology, TNO Nutrition and Food Research, PO Box 360, 3700 AJ Zeist, The Netherlands
Nutr Cancer 47:57-61. 2003The present study was performed to investigate the influence of fish oil on the genotoxic effects of azaserine, using the formation of micronucleated erythrocytes as a measure for the degree of initiating potency and the number and size ..
- Angiogenesis is continuous with two peaks during azaserine-induced rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma progression: an electron microscopic morphometrical studyKrisztina Nagy
Department of General Zoology, Eotvos University, Budapest, H 1518, Hungary
Oncol Rep 10:1999-2004. 2003..In our study a further experimental system, the azaserine-induced rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma was applied for this purpose...
- High glucose stimulates angiotensinogen gene expression and cell hypertrophy via activation of the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway in rat kidney proximal tubular cellsTusty Jiuan Hsieh
Université de Montréal Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôtel Dieu, Centre de Recherche Pavillon Masson, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1T8
Endocrinology 144:4338-49. 2003..b>Azaserine and 6-diazo-5-oxo-l-norleucine (inhibitors of glutamine: fructose-6-phosphate amino transferase enzyme) blocked ..
- Characterisation of the progression of azaserine-induced rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma by proliferative cell nuclear antigen, basement membrane laminin and trypsinogen immunohistochemistryKrisztina Nagy
Department of General Zoology, Eotvos University, Pf 120, 1518 Budapest, Hungary
Histochem Cell Biol 119:405-13. 2003The progression of azaserine-induced rat pancreatic adenocarcinoma (AC) was characterised using quantitative and semiquantitative immunohistochemistry for proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), basement membrane laminin (BML) and ..
- Transgenic expression of CCK2 receptors sensitizes murine pancreatic acinar cells to carcinogen-induced preneoplastic lesions formationAnne Mathieu
INSERM U531, IFR31, Hospital Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Int J Cancer 115:46-54. 2005..initial steps of carcinogenesis in ElasCCK2 mice, adding a supplementary defect by using a chemical carcinogen, azaserine. Results of posttreatment sequential immunohistochemical examinations and quantifications demonstrate that mice ..
- Role of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor p48 in the differentiation phenotype of exocrine pancreas cancer cellsT Adell
Unitat de Biologia Cellular i Molecular, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
Cell Growth Differ 11:137-47. 2000..We have examined the role of p48 in the phenotype of azaserine-induced rat DSL6 tumors and cancers of the human exocrine pancreas...
- Glutamine-induced protection of isolated rat heart from ischemia/reperfusion injury is mediated via the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway and increased protein O-GlcNAc levelsJia Liu
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 42:177-85. 2007..Pre-treatment with 80 muM azaserine, an inhibitor of GFAT, completely reversed the protection seen with glutamine and prevented the increase in ..
- Effect of hypergastrinemia on pancreatic carcinogenesisJerome M McDonald
Department of Surgery, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Surg 183:441-4. 2002..In view of an abundant literature suggesting that gastrin may promote growth of various gastrointestinal tissues and tumors, the effect of hypergastrinemia on the process of pancreatic carcinogenesis was evaluated...
- Exogenous ammonium inhibits petal pigmentation and expansion in Gerbera hybridaZhigang Huang
College of Life Sciences, South China Normal University, Guangdong Key Lab of Biotechnology for Plant Development, Guangzhou 510631, China
Physiol Plant 133:254-65. 2008....
- Poly-beta-hydroxybutyrate accumulation in Nostoc muscorum: effects of metabolic inhibitorsNirupama Mallick
Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
J Plant Physiol 164:312-7. 2007..Supplementation of l-methionine-dl-sulfoximine (MSX) and azaserine was also found to increase PHB accumulation in N(2) -fixing and NH(4)(+) -grown N...
- Reactive oxygen species blockade and action of insulin on expression of angiotensinogen gene in proximal tubular cellsTusty Jiuan Hsieh
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal CHUM, Hotel Dieu, 3850 Saint Urbain Street, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1T8, Canada
J Endocrinol 183:535-50. 2004..enzyme (perindopril), protein kinase C (GF 109203X), or glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amino-transferase (azaserine)...
- Glutamate synthesis in barley roots: the role of the plastidic glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenaseSergio Esposito
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via Foria 223, 80139 Naples, Italy
Planta 216:639-47. 2003..The whole process exhibited an apparent K(m Glc-6-P) of 0.45 mM and is abolished by azaserine, a specific inhibitor of GOGAT; ATP caused a decrease in the rate of Glu formation...
- Linkage between toxin production and purine biosynthesis in Clostridium difficileTsuneo Maegawa
Department of Bacteriology, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Japan
J Med Microbiol 51:34-41. 2002..Inhibition of the enzymic activity of C. difficile PurL by O-diazoacetyl-L-serine (azaserine) resulted in enhanced toxin B production even in biotin-sufficient conditions...
- Uptake and metabolism of adenosine mediate a meiosis-arresting action on mouse oocytesS M Downs
Biology Department, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201 1881, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 53:208-21. 1999..Inhibition of de novo purine synthesis alone was not sufficient because azaserine failed to reverse meiotic arrest...
- Early phase karyotype analysis of chromosome segregation after formation of mouse-mouse hybridomas with chromosome painting probesL Wollweber
Institut fur Molekulare Biotechnologie, Jena, Germany
Chromosome Res 8:37-44. 2000..653 mouse myeloma cells and lymphocytes from BALB/c mice by PEG fusion and by selection in hypoxanthine azaserine medium...
- Early indicators of exocrine pancreas carcinogenesis produced by non-genotoxic agentsR A Woutersen
Department of Biological Toxicology, TNO CIVO Toxicology and Nutrition Institute, Zeist, The Netherlands
Mutat Res 248:291-302. 1991..from the putative, atypical preneoplastic, acinar cell foci induced in rat pancreas by the carcinogen azaserine. Unsaturated fat (corn oil) has been found to increase the incidence of atypical acinar cell nodules and ..
- Expression of genes involved in nitrogen assimilation and the C/N balance sensing in Prochlorococcus sp. strain SS120Antonio López-Lozano
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad de Cordoba, 14071 Cordoba, Spain
Gene Expr 14:279-89. 2009..Methionine sulfoximine and azaserine, inhibitors of glutamine synthetase and glutamate synthase, respectively, provoked a sharp increase in icd ..
- Hexosamine induction of oxidative stress, hypertrophy and laminin expression in renal mesangial cells: effect of the anti-oxidant alpha-lipoic acidLalit P Singh
Department of Anatomy Cell Biology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cell Biochem Funct 25:537-50. 2007..7 +/- 0.2- and 1.4 +/- 0.04-fold, respectively, versus LG (p < 0.01 for both). Azaserine, an inhibitor of glutamine:fruc-6-PO(4) amidotransferase (GFAT) in the HBP, blocks the HG-induced expression of ..
- Hypoxanthine regulation of oocyte maturation in the mouse: insights using hypoxanthine phosphoribosyltransferase-deficient animalsS M Downs
Biology Department, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233, USA
Biol Reprod 57:54-62. 1997..with FSH, GVB was blocked to the same extent in HPRT- oocytes with the purine de novo synthesis inhibitor, azaserine, but this drug was less effective in HX-treated HPRT+ oocytes...
- O-linked N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase inhibition prevents G2/M transition in Xenopus laevis oocytesVanessa Dehennaut
Laboratoire de Régulation des Signaux de Division, EA 4020, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, SN3, IFR147, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
J Biol Chem 282:12527-36. 2007..Glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase inhibitors, azaserine and 6-diazo-5-oxonorleucine, failed to prevent GVBD...
- Determination of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase (GOGAT) in Spodoptera frugiperda (Sf9) insect cells by a selective 1H/15N NMR in vitro assayM Doverskog
Department of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
J Biotechnol 79:87-97. 2000..The enzyme activity was exclusively dependent on NADH as coenzyme and was completely inhibited by 1 mM azaserine. From the results obtained, we conclude that Sf9 cells possess NADH-GOGAT activity...
- Crystal structures of Escherichia coli gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase in complex with azaserine and acivicin: novel mechanistic implication for inhibition by glutamine antagonistsKei Wada
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560 0043, Japan
J Mol Biol 380:361-72. 2008..b>Azaserine and acivicin are classical and irreversible inhibitors of GGT, but their binding sites and the inhibition ..
- Towards a molecular genetic system for the pathogenic fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensisA J Almeida
Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Fungal Genet Biol 44:1387-98. 2007..Moreover, we present evidence for the occurrence of random single gene copy integration per haploid nuclei and the generation of homokaryon progeny, relevant for the future use in targeted mutagenesis and linking mutations to phenotypes...
- Safety of umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) following 5-azaserine induction and inhibition of human cardiac myocyte apoptosis by MSCsJing Ling Huang
School of Life Science, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu, China
Saudi Med J 30:1144-9. 2009..To further study the safety and effect of the umbilical cord blood (UCB)-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) on apoptosis of human cardiac myocyte (HCM)...
- Enhanced expression of osteopontin by high glucose in cultured rat aortic smooth muscle cellsM Takemoto
School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chiba, Chuou ku, 260 0856, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 258:722-6. 1999..Glucosamine also increased the promoter activity of osteopontin, and azaserine, an inhibitor of glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase (the key enzyme of the hexosamine pathway), ..
- The growth pattern and microvasculature of pancreatic tumours induced with cultured carcinoma cellsK Makinen
Department of Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Br J Cancer 82:900-4. 2000..after intrapancreatic injection of cultured pancreatic carcinoma cells (DSL-6A/C1), originally derived from an azaserine-induced tumour, as well as the features of tumour microcirculation using the microangiography technique...
- Enhanced expression of osteopontin by high glucose. Involvement of osteopontin in diabetic macroangiopathyM Takemoto
Second Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 902:357-63. 2000..Glucosamine also increased the promoter activity of osteopontin. Azaserine, an inhibitor of glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase, the key enzyme of the hexosamine pathway, ..
- Adenosine blocks hormone-induced meiotic maturation by suppressing purine de novo synthesisS M Downs
Biology Department, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 56:172-9. 2000..mice, hCG-induced maturation was blocked by Ado as effectively as by the purine de novo synthesis inhibitor, azaserine. It is concluded that Ado has an inhibitory action on hormone-induced maturation that is due, at least in part, ..
- [Isolation of Pseudomonas aurantiaca strains capable of overproduction of phenazine antibiotics]I N Feklistova
Mikrobiologiia 77:207-12. 2008..NH)-induced mutagenesis with subsequent selection for resistance to toxic amino acid analogues (azaserine, m-fluoro-DL-phenylalanine, and 6-diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine) was applied to Pseudomonas aurantiaca B-162...
- YfiK from Escherichia coli promotes export of O-acetylserine and cysteineIsabel Franke
Department Biologie I, Mikrobiologie, Universität München Munich, Germany
J Bacteriol 185:1161-6. 2003..Overexpression of either ydeD or yfiK leads to alleviation of this inhibition paralled by increased resistance to azaserine, which is an analog of O-acetylserine.
- The primary function of a redundant Sp1 binding site in the mouse aprt gene promoter is to block epigenetic gene inactivationP Mummaneni
Department of Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 26:5163-9. 1998..Therefore, the Sp1 binding sites comprising the mouse aprt promoter have evolved two distinct functions, one to promote transcription and the other to block epigenetic inactivation...
- Tumour suppressor protein (p53), apoptosis inhibiting protein (Bcl-2) and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) expressions in a rat pancreatic tumour modelKimmo Makinen
Department of Vascular Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, SF 70210 Kuopio, Finland
Anticancer Res 27:23-6. 2007Previous studies have shown that, cultured rat pancreatic carcinoma cells, derived from azaserine-induced acinar tumours, yield tumours with a ductal phenotype.
- Modulation of pancreatic carcinogenesis by antioxidantsR A Woutersen
TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute, Department of General Toxicology, Zeist, The Netherlands
Food Chem Toxicol 37:981-4. 1999..and selenium modulate growth of early putative preneoplastic acinar lesions induced in rat pancreas by azaserine. The present paper summarizes the results of long-term studies performed with azaserine-treated rats maintained ..
- Phenotype-specific inhibition of the vascular smooth muscle cell cycle by high glucose treatmentX L Zheng
Smooth Muscle Research Group, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary Health Sciences Centre, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB, T2N 4N1, Canada
Diabetologia 50:881-90. 2007..Considering the established SMC heterogeneity, we hypothesised that glucose treatment may have distinct effects on proliferation of the various phenotypic SMCs...
- Effect of de novo purine synthesis inhibitors on 5-fluorouracil metabolism and cytotoxicityE Cadman
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 30:2469-72. 1981..inhibitor of amidophosphoribosyltransferase, 6-methylmercaptopurine ribonucleoside, the glutamine antagonists, azaserine and 6-diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine (DON), and the L-aspartate analogue inhibitor of adenylsuccinate synthetase, L-..
- Flux through the hexosamine pathway is a determinant of nuclear factor kappaB- dependent promoter activationLeighton R James
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes 51:1146-56. 2002..8-fold, and these increases were prevented by 40 micromol/l O-diazoacetyl-L-serine (azaserine) or 6-diazo-5-oxonorleucine...
- Anaerobic accumulation of amino acids in rice roots: role of the glutamine synthetase/glutamate synthase cycleR Reggiani
Istituto Biosintesi Vegetali, CNR, Milano, Italy
Amino Acids 18:207-17. 2000..These findings indicate that the glutamine synthetase/glutamate synthase cycle play an important role in anaerobic amino acid accumulation...
- Biallelic methylation and silencing of mouse Aprt in normal kidney cellsJ A Rose
Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Cancer Res 60:3404-8. 2000..A potential role for allelic homology in these events is discussed...
- Expression of cholecystokinin-2/gastrin receptor in the murine pancreas modulates cell adhesion and cell differentiation in vivoChristiane Bierkamp
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, INSERM U531, Hospital Rangueil, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Am J Pathol 165:2135-45. 2004..Finally, expression of the transgene in mice treated with the carcinogen azaserine resulted in enhanced size of preneoplastic lesions as well as an increased degree of acinar-ductal ..
- Pancreatobiliary diversion enhances experimental pancreatic carcinogenesisI D Stewart
Department of Surgery, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 63:63-6. 1991..Postoperatively, each group received azaserine (20 mg kg-1 wk-1 i.p.) for 6 weeks...
- A novel profile of expressed sequence tags for zinc finger encoding genes from the poorly differentiated exocrine pancreatic cell line AR4IPB Gebelein
Department of Molecular Neuroscience, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cancer Lett 105:225-31. 1996..the primary structure and expression pattern of 18 different zinc finger-encoding cDNAs (DZF-1-18) from the azaserine-derived tumoral cell line AR4IP which displays a poorly differentiated phenotype...
- Dietary modulation of pancreatic carcinogenesis: calories and energy expenditureT Craven-Giles
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Cancer Res 54:1964s-1968s. 1994..studies examined the effects of treadmill exercise on the early stages of pancreatic carcinogenesis initiated by azaserine in rats...
- Ulex Europaeus-I: a marker for differentiation of (pre)cancerous lesions induced in the rat pancreas by azaserineY Takiyama
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68105
Carcinogenesis 9:2087-92. 1988The binding patterns of the lectin Ulex Europaeus-I (UEA-I) to pancreatic cells of Wistar rats from TNO, in azaserine-induced acinar cell lesions, was examined by peroxidase-conjugated UEA-I...
- Effect of dietary omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids on development of azaserine-induced preneoplastic lesions in rat pancreasT P O'Connor
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
J Natl Cancer Inst 81:858-63. 1989..omega 3) to omega-6 (omega 6) on the development of pancreatic preneoplastic lesions in male Wistar rats given azaserine at 14 days of age...
- Glucose induces increases in levels of the transcriptional repressor Id2 via the hexosamine pathwayLine Mariann Grønning
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Guys Hospital, Kings College, London, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E599-606. 2006..2) the effect of glucose is mimicked by low levels of glucosamine; 3) the effect of glucose is inhibited by azaserine, an inhibitor of glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase (GFAT); and 4) adenoviral mediated ..
- Nutrient sensing by the early mouse embryo: hexosamine biosynthesis and glucose signaling during preimplantation developmentMarie Pantaleon
School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, 4072 Australia
Biol Reprod 78:595-600. 2008..These data suggest that early embryos rely on hexosamine biosynthesis as a glucose-sensing pathway to initiate metabolic differentiation...
- Fate of pancreatic nodules induced by raw soya flour in ratsE E McGuinness
Dept of Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital, University of Dundee, Scotland
Gut 28:207-12. 1987..The tendency to undergo malignant change is augmented by the additional use of a genotoxic carcinogen such as azaserine. The present study has sought to examine the reversibility of the focal neoplastic change in the pancreas...
- Activation of members of the mitogen-activated protein kinase family by glucose in endothelial cellsW Liu
Center for Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School and Veterans Affairs Chicago Healthcare System, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 279:E782-90. 2000..In contrast, azaserine, which prevents increased flux through the hexosamine pathway, decreased glucose-induced JNK1 activity but had ..
- Glucosamine enhances platelet-derived growth factor-induced DNA synthesis via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway in rat aortic smooth muscle cellsA Sato
First Department of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Toyama, Japan
Atherosclerosis 157:341-52. 2001..a long period of high glucose incubation was required for the effect, and it was inhibited by co-incubation with azaserine, the role of hexosamine biosynthesis in the development of atherosclerosis in diabetes was studied in A10 cells...
- P38 mitogen-activated protein kinase mediates hexosamine-induced TGFbeta1 mRNA expression in human mesangial cellsD J Burt
Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, Guys Hospital, King s College, 5th Floor Thomas Guy House, SE1 9RT, London, UK
Diabetologia 46:531-7. 2003..p38-MAPK activation after 6 and 12 h incubation in normal glucose, and this was prevented by the GFAT inhibitor azaserine. Furthermore, high glucose enhanced p38-MAPK activation in GFAT tranfected cells ( p</=0.04)...
- Histochemical studies on gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase activity of pancreatic acinar cell lesions induced by 4-hydroxyaminoquinoline 1-oxide and/or azaserine in ratsY Murata
Department of Oncological Pathology, Nara Medical College, Japan
Exp Pathol 32:41-53. 1987..performance in pancreatic acinar cell lesions induced by 4-hydroxyaminoquinoline 1-oxide (4-HAQO) and/or azaserine in partially-pancreatectomized Fischer 344 and Wistar rats...
- Ammonia metabolism in Aedes aegyptiPatricia Y Scaraffia
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0088, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 35:491-503. 2005..Unexpectedly, we found an important role for glutamate synthase. When mosquitoes were fed azaserine, an inhibitor of glutamate synthase, the glutamine concentration increased and the proline concentration ..
- Modulation by CR-1409 (lorglumide), a cholecystokinin receptor antagonist, of trypsin inhibitor-enhanced growth of azaserine-induced putative preneoplastic lesions in rat pancreasB R Douglas
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Leiden, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 49:2438-41. 1989..well-established method for promoting growth of (pre)neoplastic foci induced in the exocrine pancreas of rats by azaserine. The effect of trypsin inhibitors is thought to be mediated through an increased release of cholecystokinin...
- A human hybrid hybridomaR F Tiebout
Central Laboratory of the Netherlands Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service, Amsterdam
J Immunol 139:3402-5. 1987..We fused two monoclonal cell lines: an ouabain-sensitive and azaserine/hypoxanthine-resistant Epstein-Barr virus-transformed human cell line that produces an IgG1 kappa antibody ..
- L-azaserine induced preneoplasia in the rat pancreas. A morphometric study of dietary manipulation (lipotrope deficiency) and ultrastructural differentiationC D Andry
Mallory Institute of Pathology, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
Toxicol Pathol 18:10-7. 1990..nodules (AACN), collectively termed atypical acinar cell lesions (AACL), were induced in male Lewis rats by L-azaserine (300 mg/kg body weight [bw] in divided doses)...
- Gut peptide receptors in pancreata of azaserine-treated and normal control ratsC Tang
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Leiden, The Netherlands
Carcinogenesis 16:2951-6. 1995Gut peptides are involved in the growth and carcinogenesis of the exocrine pancreas of rats after treatment with azaserine. However, little is known about the influence of azaserine on expression of gut peptide receptors in the pancreas ..
- Inhibitory effect of a cholecystokinin antagonist on pancreatic carcinogenesis after pancreatobiliary diversionP Watanapa
Department of Surgery, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 67:663-7. 1993..Male Wistar rats (n = 80) weighing 70-100 g were given weekly i.p. injections of azaserine (30 mg kg-1 week-1) for 3 consecutive weeks...
- Regulation of insulin-stimulated glucose transport by chronic glucose exposure in 3T3-L1 adipocytesT Hosaka
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Japan
Endocr J 46:349-57. 1999..These differences result from the difference in the expression and plasma membrane distribution of GLUT1, but not of GLUT4, and the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway or extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase is not involved...
- Expression of methylthioadenosine phosphorylase cDNA in p16-, MTAP- malignant cells: restoration of methylthioadenosine phosphorylase-dependent salvage pathways and alterations of sensitivity to inhibitors of purine de novo synthesisZ H Chen
Cancer Center, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Mol Pharmacol 52:903-11. 1997..and (iii) decreased cellular sensitivity to the antipurine-related growth-inhibitory actions of methotrexate and azaserine. These data support the hypothesis that operation of the MTAP-dependent adenine salvage pathway renders MTAP+ ..
- Hexosamine pathway but not interstitial changes mediates glucotoxicity in pancreatic β-cells as assessed by cytosolic Ca2+ response to glucoseKazuhiro Yanagida
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, Kagoshima, Japan
Aging (Albany NY) 6:207-14. 2014..This HG-induced impairment of [Ca2+]i response to 8.3 mM glucose was prevented by adding azaserine, a hexosamine pathway inhibitor, into HG culture...
- Coordinated regulation in human T cells of nucleotide-hydrolyzing ecto-enzymatic activities, including CD38 and PC-1. Possible role in the recycling of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide metabolitesP Deterre
Laboratory of Cellular Immunology, Hospital Pitié Salpêtrière Group, Paris, France
J Immunol 157:1381-8. 1996..Activated lymphocytes are often located in tissues in which cell death is common. It is suggested that the coordinated expression of these enzymes may allow activated T cells to re-use NAD and nucleotides from dead cells...
- Human kidney gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase. Catalytic properties, subunit structure, and localization of the gamma-glutamyl binding site on the light subunitS S Tate
J Biol Chem 252:6042-5. 1977..The gamma-glutamyl analogs, 6-diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine (DON) and L-azaserine inactivate the human kidney enzyme with respect to its transpeptidase and hydrolase activities...
- Effects of dietary galactooligosaccharide on azaserine-induced acinar pancreatic carcinogenesis in male Wistar ratsM J Appel
Department of General Toxicology, TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute, Zeist, The Netherlands
Nutr Cancer 29:35-41. 1997..study the effects of dietary galactooligosaccharide (GOS) on dietary fat-promoted pancreatic carcinogenesis in azaserine-treated rats were investigated...
- A hydrolytic γ-glutamyl transpeptidase from thermo-acidophilic archaeon Picrophilus torridus: binding pocket mutagenesis and transpeptidationRinky Rajput
Department of Microbiology, University of Delhi, South Campus, New Delhi, 110021, India
Extremophiles 17:29-41. 2013..It was inhibited by azaserine and DON and PMSF...
- Metabolic effects of glutamine on the heart: anaplerosis versus the hexosamine biosynthetic pathwayBenjamin Lauzier
Montreal Heart Institute and Department of Nutrition and Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Canada H1T 1C8
J Mol Cell Cardiol 55:92-100. 2013..These metabolic effects of glutamine were reversed by azaserine, which inhibits glucose entry into the HPB...
- Human GMP synthetaseT Page
Int J Biochem 16:117-20. 1984..The enzyme was specific for ATP as the energy source. Unlike the calf thymus enzyme, the human enzyme has no requirement for a reduced sulfhydryl compound. Human GMP synthetase is inhibited by ATP, dATP, azaserine, and hydroxylamine.
- Identification and characterization of genes related to the production of organic acids in yeastSatoshi Yoshida
Central Laboratories for Frontier Technology, Kirin Holdings Co, Ltd, 1 13 5 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama shi, Kanagawa 236 0004, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 113:556-61. 2012..cerevisiae disruptants involved in organic acid production showed that azaserine, citrate, ethionine, and sulfite are useful compounds by which mutants with altered organic acid production ..
- The hexosamine biosynthetic pathway and O-GlcNAcylation drive the expression of β-catenin and cell proliferationStéphanie Olivier-Van Stichelen
CNRS UMR 8576, Unit of Structural and Functional Glycobiology, University of Lille 1, Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E417-24. 2012..signaling heavily expressed β-catenin when cultured in high glucose; this was reversed by the HBP inhibitor azaserine. HBP inhibition also decreased the expression of β-catenin in HT29 and, to a lesser extent, HCT116 cells...
- Relationship between NH(4) Assimilation Rate and in Vivo Phosphoenolpyruvate Carboxylase Activity : Regulation of Anaplerotic Carbon Flow in the Green Alga Selenastrum minutumG C Vanlerberghe
Department of Biology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L 3N6
Plant Physiol 94:284-90. 1990..Treatment of N-limited cells with azaserine caused an increase in the Gln/Glu ratio resulting in increased PEPC activity in the absence of N assimilation...
- Ischemic preconditioning increases myocardial O-GlcNAc glycosylationRebekka Vibjerg Jensen
Department of Cardiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Aarhus N, Denmark
Scand Cardiovasc J 47:168-74. 2013..b>Azaserine and alloxan are unspecific blockers of the HBP and have been used to block the cardioprotective effects of O-..
- Inhibitory effects of acetylsalicylic acid on exocrine pancreatic carcinogenesisH Yildiz
Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Science, Department of Biology, Antakya
Biotech Histochem 88:132-7. 2013..We investigated possible inhibitory effects of acetylsalicylic acid in an azaserine-treated rat model. AACF were produced in rats by injection with azaserine according to previous studies...
- Hexosamine pathway is responsible for inhibition by diabetes of phenylephrine-induced inotropyYi Pang
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Diabetes 53:1074-81. 2004..The attenuation of CCE was also seen with glucosamine, and the inhibition by hyperglycemia was prevented by azaserine, thereby implicating hexosamine biosynthesis as the responsible metabolic pathway...
- [Establishment of an IR-HIRc cell model for screening GFAT inhibitor]Jiang Li
Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 40:418-22. 2005..To set up an IR-HIRc cell model for screening the inhibitor of GFAT (glutamine: fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase) , the key enzyme in the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway (HBP)...
- Glutamine synthetase-glutamate synthase pathway and glutamate dehydrogenase play distinct roles in the sink-source nitrogen cycle in tobaccoCeline Masclaux-Daubresse
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Physiol 140:444-56. 2006..Taken together, the data provide evidence that the GS-GOGAT pathway and GDH play distinct roles in the source-sink nitrogen cycle of tobacco leaves...
- Azaserine-induced pancreatic foci: detection, growth, labelling index and response to raw soya flourJ M Daly
Department of Physiology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands
Carcinogenesis 13:1519-23. 1992Atypical acinar cell foci were induced in the pancreases of rats by injection of azaserine. An incubation period of 6 weeks was sufficient for the detection of all glutathione S-transferase mu positive foci...
- Nitrogen-15 NMR studies of nitrogen metabolism in Picea glauca budsKirsten Bagh
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta, Canada T2N 1N4
Plant Physiol Biochem 42:803-9. 2004..were carried out involving the use of inhibitors of the nitrogen pathways such as methionine sulfoximine (MSO), azaserine (AZA) and aminooxyacetate (AOA)...
- Molecular and biochemical elucidation of a cellular phenotype characterized by adenine analogue resistance in the presence of high levels of adenine phosphoribosyltransferase activityN H Khattar
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington 40536
Biochem Genet 30:635-48. 1992..H29D1, also exhibited near-wild-type levels of adenine accumulation and the ability to grow in medium containing azaserine and adenine. Growth in this medium requires high levels of intracellular APRT activity...
- Potentiation of azaserine by cholestyramine in the ratR G Morgan
Department of Physiology, University of Western Australia
Int J Exp Pathol 71:485-91. 1990..an increased incidence of spontaneous pancreatic neoplasms and marked potentiation of the pancreatic carcinogen azaserine. Since previous studies showed that cholestyramine caused pancreatic growth in this species we have now studied ..
- Glutamate synthase, but not GABA shunt enzymes, contributes to nitrogen metabolism of the sheep abomasal nematode parasites Haemonchus contortus and Teladorsagia circumcinctaS Umair
Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11 222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand
Exp Parasitol 127:9-13. 2011..GOGAT activity was inhibited by 80% by azaserine. Activity (nmol min(-1) mg(-1) protein) was 33-59 in adult H. contortus, 51-91 in adult T...
- Inhibition by verapamil of cholecystokinin-enhancement of pancreatic carcinogenesis induced by azaserine in Wistar ratsA Nakaizumi
Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
Cancer Lett 105:23-7. 1996..calcium channel blocker, verapamil, on cholecystokinin (CCK)-enhancement of pancreatic carcinogenesis induced by azaserine was investigated in Wistar rats...
- Enhancing effect of partial gastrectomy on pancreatic carcinogenesisP Watanapa
Department of Surgery, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 65:383-7. 1992..p. injections of either saline or azaserine (30 mg kg-1 wk-1 for 3 weeks)...
- Insulin regulation of pyruvate kinase activity in isolated adipocytes. Crucial role of glucose and the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway in the expression of insulin actionR R Traxinger
Department of Biochemistry, University of Tennessee, Memphis 38163
J Biol Chem 267:9718-23. 1992..Considered together, these findings provide new insights into the cascade of metabolic events triggered by insulin and implicated a novel metabolic pathway in the pretranslational control of enzyme function...
- Reversible compartmentalization of de novo purine biosynthetic complexes in living cellsSongon An
Department of Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Science 320:103-6. 2008..Collectively, the data provide strong evidence for the formation of a multi-enzyme complex, the "purinosome," to carry out de novo purine biosynthesis in cells...
- Antifolates induce inhibition of amido phosphoribosyltransferase in leukemia cellsM E Sant
Department of Biochemistry, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Biol Chem 267:11038-45. 1992..derivatives of N-formylglycinamide ribotide (FGAR) which accumulate when the pathway is blocked completely by azaserine. This azaserine-induced accumulation of FGAR polyphosphates is completely abolished by MTX, indicating that ..
- Affinity of antineoplastic amino acid drugs for the large neutral amino acid transporter of the blood-brain barrierY Takada
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 29:89-94. 1991..Of the six drugs tested, five, including melphalan, azaserine, acivicin, 6-diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine, and buthionine sulfoximine, exhibited only low affinity for the carrier, ..
- Antifolates induce primary inhibition of the de novo purine pathway prior to 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribotide transformylase in leukemia cellsS D Lyons
Department of Biochemistry, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Biochem Int 24:187-97. 1991..By contrast, complete inhibition of reaction 4 by 25 microM azaserine results in accumulation of N-formyl-glycinamide ribotide (FGAR) polyphosphates to a combined cellular ..
- Novel expression of gastrin (cholecystokinin-B) receptors in azaserine-induced rat pancreatic carcinoma: receptor determination and characterizationW Zhou
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267
Cancer Res 52:6905-11. 1992..In the present study, we investigated gastrin (CCK-B) receptor expression in the azaserine-induced rat pancreatic carcinoma DSL-6, comparing it to normal rat pancreas, and we also characterized CCK ..
- Elucidating modulators of hepatic metabolism by quantitative flux analysisGregory Stephanopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2010..to the study of specific hormones (leptin), drugs (Metformin) and HBP flux modulators (hexosamine, aloxan, azaserine) of interest to Type-2-Diabetes...
- CYANOHYDROXYBUTENE TOXICITY AND GLUTATHIONEMatthew Wallig; Fiscal Year: 1991..by CHB- induced hepatic and pancreatic GSH accumulation against hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen, hepatic carcinogenicity of aflatoxin B1, and pancreatic carcinogenicity of azaserine, using short-term histochemical and histologic assays.
- STUDIES OF DNA CHANGE INDUCED BY PANCREATIC CARCINOGENSDaniel Longnecker; Fiscal Year: 1980..The compounds which will be evaluated include azaserine, N-gamma-(N-methyl-N-nitrosocarbamoyl)-L-2,4 diaminobutyric acid, N-nitrosobis (hydroxypropyl) amine and ..
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OVINE INTERFERON-TAU REGULATES UTERINE HORMONE RECEPTORFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Bridges to the Doctorate in Reproductive BiologyFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Scutellaria baicalensis and Colon Cancer ChemopreventionDiane Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..