- L-Homocysteine and L-homocystine stereospecifically induce endothelial nitric oxide synthase-dependent lipid peroxidation in endothelial cells
Stanley J Heydrick
Evans Department of Medicine and Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University, School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 36:632-40. 2004
..The pro-oxidant effect of homocysteine can be fully replicated by an equivalent concentration of homocystine (i.e., an oxidized form of homocysteine), but not with cysteine or glutathione...
- Homocystine levels, polymorphisms and the risk of ischemic stroke in young Asian Indians
Department of Hematology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 18:103-10. 2009
..However, there have been no reports forthcoming from the Asian Indian population, which is a genetically different population than the previously studied populations...
- Increasing levels of dietary homocystine with carotid endarterectomy produced proportionate increases in plasma homocysteine and intimal hyperplasia
Department of Surgery, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Atherosclerosis 158:129-38. 2001
..This study was designed to investigate the effects of different levels of dietary homocystine on: (1) plasma homocysteine; (2) post-CEA intimal hyperplasia; and (3) levels of the methyl donor S-..
- Relative roles of albumin and ceruloplasmin in the formation of homocystine, homocysteine-cysteine-mixed disulfide, and cystine in circulation
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 276:46896-904. 2001
..The latter then reacts with homocystine or homocysteine-cysteine mixed disulfide to form albumin-bound homocysteine (Sengupta, S., Chen, H., Togawa, T...
- The organotellurium compound ammonium trichloro(dioxoethylene-o,o')tellurate reacts with homocysteine to form homocystine and decreases homocysteine levels in hyperhomocysteinemic mice
CAIR Institute, The Safdiè AIDS and Immunology Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
FEBS J 274:3159-70. 2007
..toxicity was directly mediated by its chemical reactivity, whereby AS101 reacted with homocysteine to form homocystine, the less toxic disulfide form of homocysteine...
- Effects of dietary folic acid supplementation on cerebrovascular endothelial dysfunction in rats with induced hyperhomocysteinemia
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Ewha Womans University, Seoul 120 750, South Korea
Brain Res 996:139-47. 2004
..The animals were raised on an experimental diet containing 0.3% homocystine for 2 weeks and then they were placed either on a 0.3% homocystine, 0...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia in cerebral vein thrombosis
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Ospedale Maggiore, University of Milan, Italy
Blood 102:1363-6. 2003
..5 (95% CI, 5.7-67.3). In conclusion, hyperhomocysteinemia is associated with a 4-fold increased risk of cerebral vein thrombosis; whether or not its correction with vitamins reduces the risk of the disease remains to be demonstrated...
- Effect of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene polymorphisms on homocysteine, folate and vitamin B12 in patients with bipolar disorder and relatives
Department of Biochemistry, Eyup State Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1331-7. 2008
..Patients and relatives carrying TT and/or AA and AC genotypes had elevated tHcy and reduced folate and B12 levels. High tHcy but low folate and vitamin B12 levels may be a risk factor for development of bipolar disorder...
- [Untreated homocystinuria in adulthood]
Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin und Nephrologie, Stuttgart
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2439-43. 2005
..He did not know of any thrombembolic events in the past. On physical examination Marfan-like appearance and a funnel chest were noted. Because of these findings Marfan syndrome was suspected...
- The intellectual abilities of early-treated individuals with pyridoxine-nonresponsive homocystinuria due to cystathionine beta-synthase deficiency
National Center for Inherited Metabolic Disorders, The Children 's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Inherit Metab Dis 24:437-47. 2001
..Good compliance was defined by a lifetime plasma free homocystine median < 11 micromol/L. The newborn screened, good compliance group (n = 13) with a mean age of 14...
- Ocular findings among patients with late-diagnosed or poorly controlled homocystinuria compared with a screened, well-controlled population
Department of Paediatric Ophthalmology, The Children's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J AAPOS 5:311-5. 2001
..5 years in 4 cases before diagnosis. Young persons with marked and progressive myopia or idiopathic lens subluxation should be screened for HCU...
- Effect of maternal exposure to homocystine on sodium valproate-induced neural tube defects in the mouse embryos
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Eur J Nutr 45:311-9. 2006
..Maternal treatment with valproic acid (VPA) during pregnancy induces NTD in susceptible fetuses. Elevated levels of homocysteine are observed in pregnancies with NTD. The mechanism by which homocysteine might cause NTD is unknown...
- Plasma homocysteine is associated with the risk of mild cognitive impairment in an elderly Korean population
Center for Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, Eunpyeong gu, Seoul 122 701, South Korea
J Nutr 137:2093-7. 2007
..A causal relationship between plasma homocysteine levels and cognitive impairment should be evaluated in a follow-up study of elderly Korean subjects...
- The effect of in vitro homocystinuria on the suckling rat hippocampal acetylcholinesterase
Kleopatra H Schulpis
Inborn Errors of Metabolism Department, Institute of Child Health Research Center, Aghia Sophia Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Metab Brain Dis 21:21-8. 2006
Homocystinuria is due to enzymatic deficiencies resulting in elevated blood levels of homocysteine (Hcy), homocystine (Hci), and/or methionine (Met) and the clinical presentation of mental retardation, seizures, and cardiovascular ..
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and elevated ox-LDL in Tunisian type 2 diabetic patients: role of genetic and dietary factors
Laboratory of Biochemistry, UR Human Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders Faculty of Medicine, Avicene St, 5019 Monastir, Tunisia
Clin Biochem 40:1007-14. 2007
..Total plasma homocysteine (tHcy) is an emerging risk factor for the development of atherosclerosis. However, its relationship with diabetes is still unclear...
- Validation of homocyst(e)ine-lowering treatment in the era of folic acid fortification of cereal grains
M Rene Malinow
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1051; author reply 1051. 2002
- Hyperhomocysteinemia in Japanese patients with convalescent stage ischemic stroke: effect of combined therapy with folic acid and mecobalamine
Department of Neurology, Kurume University Medical Center, Kurume 839 0863, Japan
J Neurol Sci 202:65-8. 2002
..Vitamin B(12) synergizes with folic acid in reducing plasma homocysteine in Japanese patients with ischemic stroke and the combined therapy may be particularly effective in the secondary prevention...
- Influence of metabolic control on growth in homocystinuria due to cystathionine B-synthase deficiency
A K Topaloglu
Department of Human Genetics, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
Pediatr Res 49:796-8. 2001
..These findings suggest that overgrowth is directly mediated by homocysteine, that the GH-IGF axis is not involved, and that it may be prevented by optimal metabolic control...
- Homocysteine levels in polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: influence of corticosteroid therapy
V M Martinez-Taboada
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1055-61. 2003
..to determine the influence of corticosteroid therapy on the homocysteine levels and (iii). to analyse if the levels of homocysteine may predict the development of ischaemic complications in patients with GCA...
- Vitamin B12, homocysteine and carotid plaque in the era of folic acid fortification of enriched cereal grain products
Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 172:1569-73. 2005
- Schizophrenia and single-carbon metabolism
Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Goteborg University, Sweden
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 29:1124-32. 2005
..The findings point to a new area of schizophrenia research: the role of nutrients and antioxidants for rational prevention and treatment...
- The central nervous system in animal models of hyperhomocysteinemia
Aron M Troen
Nutrition and Neurocognition Laboratory and Vitamin Metabolism and Aging Laboratory, The Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 29:1140-51. 2005
..Future work should be directed towards refining these models in order to distinguish between the effects of homocysteine and its determinants on neurological and behavioral outcomes that represent different CNS disorders...
- Vitamin B12 and homocysteine
Brian M Gilfix
CMAJ 173:1360. 2005
- Elevated plasma total homocysteine in centenarians
Department of Senescence, Urological and Neurological Sciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:307-10. 2004
..On the other hand, it can by hypothesized that good vitamin intake is essential to live over 100 years...
- Effects of growth hormone (GH) administration on homocyst(e)ine levels in men with GH deficiency: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1518-24. 2001
..This study shows that GH replacement decreases fasting homocyst(e)ine levels compared with placebo. This may be one of the mechanisms involved in the putative modulation of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular risk by GH replacement...
- Low vitamin B6 but not homocyst(e)ine is associated with increased risk of stroke and transient ischemic attack in the era of folic acid grain fortification
Peter J Kelly
Stroke Service, Department of Neurology, VBK 802, Massachusetts General Hospital, Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Stroke 34:e51-4. 2003
..We performed a case-control study to determine the risk of stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA) associated with tHcy and low vitamin status in a postfortification US sample...
- Homocystine solubility and vascular disease
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics CRISCEB, Second University of Naples, 80138 Naples, Italy
FASEB J 16:401-4. 2002
..It is hypothesized here that cellular toxicity could indirectly result from auto-oxidation of homocysteine to homocystine. Elevated levels of total plasma homocysteine could be the primary cause of increased vascular risk, causing ..
- Traditional and "new" cardiovascular risk markers and factors in pediatric dialysis patients
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, 34303 Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 22:1021-9. 2007
..The causes of atherosclerosis and left ventricular hypertrophy are multifactorial in children and adolescents with ESRD. Better management of hypertension and anemia may be priorities for preventing or improving CVD in these patients...
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) 677C>T and methionine synthase reductase (MTRR) 66A>G polymorphisms: association with serum homocysteine and angiographic coronary artery disease in the era of flour products fortified with folic acid
Emmanouil S Brilakis
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, W16 Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Atherosclerosis 168:315-22. 2003
..On multivariate analysis, the MTRR genotypes were not associated with serum homocysteine or with significant CAD...
- Diabetic ketoacidosis promotes a prothrombotic state
G F Carl
Department of Neurology, Veteran s Administration Medical Center, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Endocr Res 29:73-82. 2003
- Total plasma homocysteine in Bulgarian population measured by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection--comparison with fluorescence polarization immunoassay
Evgeniya A Angelova
Department of Clinical Laboratory, University of Medicine, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Clin Lab 52:527-33. 2006
..The higher plasma Hcy observed in our population compared to the rest of Europe corresponds to the high prevalence and mortality of cardiovascular disease in Bulgaria...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia measured by immunoassay: a valid measure of coronary artery atherosclerosis
Michele T Stauffenberg
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1263-6. 2004
..We previously validated a fluorescence polarization immunoassay for measuring homocysteine, which compared favorably with high performance liquid chromatography...
- Homocysteine--should we screen and treat in preventive cardiology programs?
Department of Clinical Haematology, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 26:281-7. 2006
- ApoA-I: a missing link between homocysteine and lipid metabolism?
Angela M Devlin
Circ Res 98:431-3. 2006
- Vitamin B12 and homocysteine
Joel G Ray
CMAJ 173:1359-60. 2005
- Ocular axial length in homocystinuria patients with and without ocular changes: effects of early treatment and biochemical control
Department of Paediatric Ophthalmology, Dublin, Ireland
J AAPOS 8:254-8. 2004
..To establish whether myopia in homocystinuria could be due to increased ocular axial length...
- Prevention and treatment of peripheral neuropathy after bariatric surgery
Stacy A Rudnicki
Department of Neurology, University of Arkansas Medical School, 4301 West Markham Street, Slot 500, Little Rock, AR, 72205, USA
Curr Treat Options Neurol 12:29-36. 2010
..and then develop a neuropathy, evaluating levels of thiamine, copper, vitamin B12, methylmalonic acid, and homocystine is indicated...
- Cysteine is the metabolic signal responsible for dietary regulation of hepatic cysteine dioxygenase and glutamate cysteine ligase in intact rats
Carrie L Cresenzi
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Nutr 133:2697-702. 2003
..low protein basal diet (100 g casein/kg diet) with or without supplemental sulfur amino acids (8 g cystine, 9 g homocystine or 10 g methionine/kg diet) and with or without propargylglycine (PPG, 1 mmol/kg), an irreversible inhibitor of ..
- Prevalence of cystinuria among elementary schoolchildren in Eskisehir, Turkey
Sultan Durmus Aydogdu
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Scand J Urol Nephrol 43:138-41. 2009
..The prevalence of cystinuria varies widely in different countries. The aim of this study is to determine the prevalence of cystinuria among schoolchildren in Eskisehir, a central Anatolian city in Turkey...
- Vitamin B12 and folate after 5-12 years of continent ileal urostomy (Kock reservoir) in children and adolescents
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Queen Silvia s Children Hospital, Goteborg University, Sweden
Eur Urol 41:199-205. 2002
..To assess B12 and folate deficiency after continent urinary diversion via a Kock continent urinary reservoir in children and adolescents...
- Analysis of plasma amino acids by HPLC with photodiode array and fluorescence detection
Elisabeth L Schwarz
ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, ARUP Laboratory, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
Clin Chim Acta 354:83-90. 2005
..Here, we test whether plasma amino acids can be analyzed using reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)...
- Homocysteine measurement by Vitros Microtip homocysteine assay
Geert A Martens
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Radioimmunology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:283-6. 2008
..Here, we report on analytical performance of a commercial cystathionine beta-synthase-based assay, for use on Vitros automated analyzers...
- Sulfur in human nutrition and applications in medicine
American Institute for Biosocial and Medical Research AIBMR, Tacoma, WA, USA
Altern Med Rev 7:22-44. 2002
..The sulfur-containing amino acids (SAAs) are methionine, cysteine, cystine, homocysteine, homocystine, and taurine...
- Hyperhomocystinemia in patients with nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy, central retinal artery occlusion, and central retinal vein occlusion
Department of Ophthalmology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Ophthalmology 107:1588-92. 2000
..This study aimed to determine the prevalence of hyperhomocystinemia among patients with nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION), central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO), or central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO)...
- A rapid method to determine plasma homocysteine concentration and enrichment by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Italy
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19:561-7. 2005
..A deuterated internal standard, DL-[3,3,3',3',4,4,4',4'-2H8]-homocystine, was employed to account for losses associated with each analytical step...
- An enzyme-coupled ultrasensitive luminescence assay for protein methyltransferases
Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Anal Biochem 401:203-10. 2010
..In this assay, S-adenosyl-l-homocystine (AdoHcy/SAH), the by-product of PMT-involved methylation, is sequentially converted to adenine, adenosine ..
- Targeting of metallothionein by L-homocysteine: a novel mechanism for disruption of zinc and redox homeostasis
John C Barbato
Department Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:49-54. 2007
L-homocysteine and/or L-homocystine interact in vivo with albumin and other extracellular proteins by forming mixed-disulfide conjugates...
- Folic acid improves arterial endothelial function in adults with hyperhomocystinemia
K S Woo
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
J Am Coll Cardiol 34:2002-6. 1999
..To evaluate whether oral folic acid supplementation might improve endothelial function in the arteries of asymptomatic adults with hyperhomocystinemia...
- Effect of folate deficiency on placental DNA methylation in hyperhomocysteinemic rats
Ji Myung Kim
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Nutr Biochem 20:172-6. 2009
..rats were divided into the following three dietary groups: folate-supplemented (FS; 8 mg/kg folic acid, n=12), homocystine- and folate-supplemented (HFS; 0...
- Serum vitamin B12 deficiency and hyperhomocystinemia: a reversible cause of acute chorea, cerebellar ataxia in an adult with cerebral ischemia
Department of Neurology, NIMHANS, Hosur Road, Bangalore, 560029, India
J Neurol Sci 273:152-4. 2008
..He had low serum vitamin B12 and elevated serum homocystine levels. He improved dramatically following B12 replacement therapy...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and myocardial expression of brain natriuretic peptide in rats
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Clin Chem 53:773-80. 2007
..We hypothesized that HHcy stimulates myocardial brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) expression and induces adverse left ventricular remodeling...
- Synergy between methionine stress and chemotherapy in the treatment of brain tumor xenografts in athymic mice
D M Kokkinakis
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cancer Res 61:4017-23. 2001
..The treated tumor-bearing mice were rescued from the toxic effects of MET withdrawal with daily i.p. homocystine. This regimen suppressed plasma MET to levels below 5 microM for several days, with no treatment-related deaths...
- Homocysteine exerts cell type-specific inhibition of AP-1 transcription factor
Y J Suzuki
Antioxidants Research Laboratory, Jean Mayer United States Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 28:39-45. 2000
..Oxidized forms of Hcy (Hcy thiolactone, homocystine) were less effective in affecting AP-1...
- Plasma free amino acids in Taiwan Chinese: the effect of age
Department of Medical Research, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:378-82. 2002
..01). Only a few AA, including alpha-amino-adipic acid, glycine, alanine, cystine, homocystine, isoleucine, tyrosine, gamma-aminobutyric acid and tryptophan, showed no statistically significant differences ..
- A simultaneous liquid chromatography/mass spectrometric assay of glutathione, cysteine, homocysteine and their disulfides in biological samples
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, South Dakota State University, Box 2202C, Brookings, SD 57007, USA
J Pharm Biomed Anal 31:251-61. 2003
..quantitation of glutathione (GSH), glutathione disulfide (GSSG), cysteine (CysSH), homocysteine (HCysSH) and homocystine in biological samples (rat brain, lung, liver, heart, kidneys, erythrocytes and plasma)...
- A meta-analysis of cerebrovascular disease and hyperhomocysteinaemia
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Aarhus University Hospital at Skejby, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 60:491-9. 2000
..We found 21 studies searching Medline from 1966-July 1999 using the key words homocysteine, homocystine and cerebrovascular disease or stroke combined with a search of Embase, Science Citation Index and Biological ..
- Homocysteine strongly enhances metal-catalyzed LDL oxidation in the presence of cystine and cysteine
Institute of Physiology, University of Wien, Schwarzspanierstrasse 17, Austria
Atherosclerosis 168:39-48. 2003
..Simultaneous presence of cysteine and homocystine also resulted in a more than additive oxidative effect which was not statistically significant, however...
- Effect of pravastatin on body composition and markers of cardiovascular disease in HIV-infected men--a randomized, placebo-controlled study
Patrick W G Mallon
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, 376 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
AIDS 20:1003-10. 2006
..To determine the effect of the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor, pravastatin, on markers of cardiovascular risk and lipodystrophy in HIV-infected, protease inhibitor (PI)-treated men with hypercholesterolaemia...
- Two cases of benign methylmalonic aciduria detected during a pilot study of neonatal urine screening
Division of Human Genetics, Medical Research Institute, Kanazawa Medical, University, 1 1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 776:65-70. 2002
..27 to 3.04 mol/mol creatinine (control<0.01 mol/mol creatinine). Methylcitrate and homocystine were not increased in the patient's urine or blood. Blood propionylcarnitine was also at normal levels...
- Elution behavior of diaminopimelic acid and related diamino acids using the advanced Marfey's method
Graduate School of Environmental and Human Science, Meijo University, Tempaku, Nagoya 468 8503, Japan
J Chromatogr A 1160:246-53. 2007
..the absolute configurations of diaminosuccinic acid (DAS), A2pm, cystine (Cys), selenocystine (SeCys) and homocystine (HomoCys) using a racemization procedure and the DL-FDLA method, and the resulting elution behavior was ..
- Suppression of thiol exchange reaction in the determination of reduced-form thiols by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection after derivatization with fluorogenic benzofurazan reagent, 7-fluoro-2,1,3-benzoxadiazole-4-sulfonate
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Biomed Chromatogr 20:656-61. 2006
..3) were significantly decreased in the presence of the oxidized-form thiols (cystine, homocystine, oxidized-form glutathione) because of the thiol exchange reaction between the reduced-form and the oxidized-..
- Hyperhomocysteinemia is associated with impaired fracture healing in mice
Institute of Orthopedic Research and Biomechanics, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstrasse 14, Ulm 89081, Germany
Calcif Tissue Int 85:17-21. 2009
..The aim of this study was to analyze the impact of HHCY on fracture healing. One group of mice was fed a homocystine-supplemented diet (n = 12), whereas another group received the accordant standard diet for control (n = 13)...
- Simultaneous determination of methionine and total homocysteine in human plasma by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Hachioji, Japan
J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 758:283-8. 2001
..DL-[2H4]Methionine and DL-[2H8]homocystine were used as internal standards...
- Chiral separation of homocysteine by derivatization with 4-aminosulfonyl-7-fluoro-2,1,3-benzoxadiazole followed by capillary electrophoresis using gamma-cyclodextrin
I J Kim
School of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Seoul National University, South Korea
J Chromatogr A 877:217-23. 2000
..25, 50 mM gamma-CD concentration, and 20 kV applied voltage. L-ABD-Homocysteine migrated faster than the D-isomer as demonstrated by a spiking experiment using dithiothreitol-reduced L-homocystine.
- Stable-isotope dilution LC-ESI-MS/MS techniques for the quantification of total homocysteine in human plasma
Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis Unit, I R C S S Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, Poliambulatorio Giovanni Paolo II, Foggia, FG, Italy
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:3292-9. 2009
..Quantitative analysis is achieved by using commercially available homocystine-d(8) as an internal standard...
- Evaluation of the DPC IMMULITE 2000 assay for total homocysteine in plasma
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Aarhus University Hospital at Skejby, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 62:369-73. 2002
..Imprecision evaluated from these samples was 5.3% and the recovery of the added L-homocystine was equivalent to the mean recovery of the 58 participants in the program...
- Determination of total homocysteine in plasma using liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS)
Applied Biosystems, Monza, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 603:253-60. 2010
..Sample preparation is simple and relies on the complete reduction of any homocystine ((HCY)(2)) or protein-bound homocysteine, followed by the plasma protein precipitation...
- A model for PKC involvement in the pathogenesis of inborn errors of metabolism
Metabolic Service, Genetic Health Services, Victoria, Australia
Trends Mol Med 8:524-31. 2002
..vice versa, a review of these reports in the context of the proposed model reveal some common phenotypic outcomes in inborn errors of fatty acid-, cholesterol- and homocystine-metabolism as well as lysosomal and peroxisomal diseases.
- Gold nanoparticle extraction followed by o-phthaldialdehyde derivatization for fluorescence sensing of different forms of homocysteine in plasma
Yi Jhen Lai
Department of Chemistry, National Sun Yet sen University, Taiwan
Talanta 91:103-9. 2012
..advantage of these features, the selectivity of the proposed system is greater than 100-fold for HCys and homocystine (HCys-HCys disulfide; diHCys) compared to any aminothiols. The limits of detection for HCys and diHCys were 4...
- Quantification of intracellular homocysteine by stable isotope dilution liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry
Centers for Cancer Pharmacology and Pharmacogenetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, USA
Biomed Chromatogr 21:107-12. 2007
..An internal standard, [(2)H(8)]-homocystine, was added to cell pellets from EA.hy 926 cells grown in culture under low and high folate concentrations...
- Plasma homocysteine levels in patients with multiple sclerosis in the Greek population
Department of Neurology, Athens National University, Aiginition Hospital, Athens, Greece Electronic address
J Chin Med Assoc 76:611-4. 2013
- Cysteinylation and homocysteinylation of plasma protein thiols during ageing of healthy human beings
Department of Evolutionary Biology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Cell Mol Med 13:3131-40. 2009
..After plasma separation, total protein thiols, S-thiolated proteins, as well as CysSH, cystine, HcySH and homocystine were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with fluorescence determination of the thiol-..
- Regulation of methionine synthesis in Escherichia coli
Roche Research Center, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Mol Microbiol 5:1593-7. 1991
..Finally, it is known that vitamin B12 can repress expression of the metE gene. This effect is mediated by the MetH holoenzyme, which contains a cobamide prosthetic group...
- The relationship between micronuclei in human lymphocytes and selected micronutrients in vegetarians and non-vegetarians
Research Base of Slovak Medical University, Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine, Limbova 14, 833 01 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Mutat Res 611:64-70. 2006
..62, P<0.001, N=48), women having higher frequencies than men. Multifactorial regression analysis showed significant effects of age, sex and total antioxidant capacity on micronucleus frequency (N=48, P<0.001)...
- Automated method for the measurement of amino acids in urine by high-performance liquid chromatography
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, , Italy
J Chromatogr A 729:173-80. 1996
..and sensitive HPLC method for the determination of primary and secondary amino acids included cystine and homocystine in urine samples is described...
- Mild hyperhomocyst(e)inemia: a possible risk factor for cervical artery dissection
Neuroscience Department, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Stroke 32:714-8. 2001
..Consecutive patients with CAD and age-matched control subjects have been studied by serum levels of homocyst(e)ine and the genotype of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR)...
- Effect of homocysteine on cytokine production by human endothelial cells and monocytes
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford BD7 1DP, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 40:534-41. 2003
..Here, we report the ability of homocysteine to influence inflammatory cytokine/chemokine production by human saphenous vein endothelial cells, peripheral blood monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages...
- Adverse effect of nitrous oxide in a child with 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency
Rebecca R Selzer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, USA
N Engl J Med 349:45-50. 2003
- Effects of cytidine 5'-diphosphocholine on plasma homocysteine levels in rat
Department of Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Avda Diagonal 643, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 134:271-6. 2003
- Endothelial dysfunction relates to folate status in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes
Esko J Wiltshire
Department of Paediatrics, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, PO Box 7343, Wellington South, New Zealand
Diabetes 51:2282-6. 2002
..Better folate status is associated with better endothelial function, as measured by higher FMD, higher FMD:GTN ratio, and lower thrombomodulin. Folate may therefore protect against endothelial dysfunction in children with diabetes...
- Obstructive sleep apnoea and plasma homocysteine
Eur Heart J 26:2210; author reply 2210-1. 2005
- Classical homocystinuria: vascular risk and its prevention
National Center for Inherited Metabolic Disorders, The Children s University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
J Inherit Metab Dis 26:259-65. 2003
..These findings may also have relevance to the significance of mild hyperhomocysteinaemia that is commonly found in patients with premature vascular disease...
- A rationale for cystine supplementation in severe homocystinuria
P J Lee
Charles Dent Metabolic Unit, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:35-8. 2007
..This appears to stem from an increase in the free/bound homocyst(e)ine ratio with free homocystine acting as a surrogate for free cystine...
- The impact of third-generation beta-blocker antihypertensive treatment on endothelial function and the prothrombotic state: effects of smoking
Gregory P Vyssoulis
First Cardiology Department of Athens University, Hippokration Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am J Hypertens 17:582-9. 2004
..The significance of beta-blockers in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases is well established. The effect of vasodilating beta-blockers on endothelial function and prothrombotic state has not been investigated...
- Oxidative imbalance in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease
Department of Neurological Sciences, Dino Ferrari Center, University of Milan, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via F Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 27:262-9. 2006
..ROS levels appear to be correlated with age rather than with a specific dementing disorder, thus leading to the hypothesis that oxidative imbalance observed in AD could be due to a decreased TAC...
- Biochemistry of homocysteine in health and diseases
Biochemistry Research Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai 600 006, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 43:275-83. 2006
..are due to (i) production of oxidants (reactive oxygen species) generated during oxidation of Hcy to homocystine and disulphides in the blood. These could oxidize membrane lipids and proteins...
- [Inhibition on the endocytosis of early visceral yolk sac induced by homocysteine in rats]
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 31:32-3. 2002
..01). These results suggested that the inhibition of sanguimotor development and the reduction of endocytosis induced by HCY may directly correlate with the teratologic and embryopathologic events...
- The role of thrombophilia and thyroid autoimmunity in unexplained infertility, implantation failure and recurrent spontaneous abortion
Instituto Valenciano de Infertilidad IVI, University of Valencia, Plaza de la Policia Local, 3, 46015 Valencia, Spain
Hum Reprod 23:278-84. 2008
..The role of thrombophilia and thyroid autoimmunity in unexplained infertility (UI), implantation failure (IF) and recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) is controversial and poorly understood...
- Recurrent dystonia in homocystinuria: a metabolic pathogenesis
Alex J Sinclair
Department of Neurology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 21:1780-2. 2006
..Brain MRI was normal. Two biochemical markers for homocystinuria, homocystine and methionine, were markedly elevated during periods when our patient manifested dystonia...
- Cardiovascular effects of hyperhomocysteinemia in conscious unrestrained rats
Richard H Kennedy
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Am J Hypertens 19:94-7. 2006
..Experiments were designed to determine whether hyperhomocysteinemia (Hhe) affects cardiovascular function when monitored in conscious unrestrained animals...
- Experimental hyperhomocysteinemia reduces bone quality in rats
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Clin Chem 53:1455-61. 2007
..Recently, hyperhomocysteinemia (HHCY) has been suggested as a new risk factor for osteoporosis. This study investigated if HHCY is a causal osteoporotic factor in vivo...
- Short-term folic acid supplementation induces variable and paradoxical changes in plasma homocyst(e)ine concentrations
M R Malinow
Department of Pathobiology and Immunology, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton 97006, USA
Lipids 36:S27-32. 2001
..refers to the sum of the sulfhydryl amino acid homocysteine and the homocysteinyl moieties of the disulfides homocystine and homocystein-cysteine, whether free or bound to plasma proteins...
- [Case of cerebral venous thrombosis due to graves' disease with increased factor VIII activity]
Department of Neurology, Nagaoka Red Cross Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 46:270-3. 2006
..01 IU/ml, anti-TSH receptor antibody 4.3 IU/l, and thyroid stimulating antibody 224%. On the examination, homocystine and activities of antithrombin III, protein C, and protein S were normal...
- Lack of association between baseline plasma homocysteine concentrations and restenosis rates after a first elective percutaneous coronary intervention without stenting
C K Wong
Cardiovascular Research Unit, Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Heart 90:1299-302. 2004
..To evaluate the association between baseline homocysteine concentrations and restenosis rates in patients electively undergoing their first percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) without stenting...
- [Cardiovascular disease prevention: results from Programma FASEN - H San Raffaele]
H San Raffaele Resnati spa, Milano, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 33:48-50. 2011
..Thirty workers (0.3%) had a risk about 20% (MCV V), one hundred about 15-20% (MCV IV). We think it's necessary to follow people after the study too, to make change their lifestyle and eating habits and to verify the effect on time...
- [The relationship between plasma homocysteine levels and diabetic peripheral neuropathy]
Jian Bo Li
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 50:14-7. 2011
..To explore the relationship between plasma homocysteine levels and diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPNP)...
- Diffuse reflectance spectroscopy of fibrous proteins
Keith R Millington
CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering, Belmont, VIC 3216, Australia
Amino Acids 43:1277-85. 2012
..DR spectrum at 290 nm is significantly red shifted by ~40 nm relative to its wavelength in solution, whereas homocystine and lipoic acid showed smaller red shifts of 20 nm...
- Nutrition and metabolism
Curr Opin Lipidol 15:215-7. 2004
- Clinical assay of four thiol amino acid redox couples by LC-MS/MS: utility in thalassemia
Jung H Suh
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:3418-27. 2009
..plasma and erythrocytes were plant glutathione analogue, homoglutathione, and stable isotopes of cystine and homocystine. The method was validated for its linearity, accuracy, and precision...
- A pulsed potential waveform displaying enhanced detection capabilities towards sulfur-containing compounds at a gold working electrode
Tommaso R I Cataldi
Dipartimento di Chimica, Universita degli Studi della Basilicata, Via N Sauro, 85 85100 Potenza, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1066:133-42. 2005
..for the sensitive detection of lipoic acid, biotin, iminobiotin, methionine, cystine, cysteine, homocysteine, homocystine, N-acetylcysteine and glutathione, following their separations by high-performance anion-exchange ..
- Experimental hyperhomocysteinaemia: differences in tissue metabolites between homocystine and methionine feeding in a rat model
Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Institute of Physiology, Dresden, Germany
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 197:27-34. 2009
..The pathomechanisms seem to be partly due to concentrations of homocysteine metabolites and their effect on the cellular transmethylation processes...