- Antibodies against cyclic citrullinated peptide and IgA rheumatoid factor predict the development of rheumatoid arthritis
Umea Universitet, Umea, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 48:2741-9. 2003
- Induction of osteoclastogenesis and bone loss by human autoantibodies against citrullinated vimentin
Department of Internal Medicine 3, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Invest 122:1791-802. 2012
..Our data thus suggest that autoantibody formation in response to citrullinated vimentin directly induces bone loss, providing a link between the adaptive immune system and bone...
- Autoimmunity to specific citrullinated proteins gives the first clues to the etiology of rheumatoid arthritis
The Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Immunol Rev 233:34-54. 2010
..Thus, both smoking and Porphyromonas gingivalis are attractive etiological agents for further investigation into the gene/environment/autoimmunity triad of RA...
- Immunity to citrullinated proteins in rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Annu Rev Immunol 26:651-75. 2008
..e., to peptides posttranslationally modified by the conversion of arginine to citrulline, are specific serological markers for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Citrullination: a posttranslational modification in health and disease
Department of Genetics, Cell and Immunobiology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 38:1662-77. 2006
..Introduction of citrulline dramatically changes the structure and function of proteins...
- Specific autoantibodies precede the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis: a study of serial measurements in blood donors
Markus M J Nielen
Jan van Breemen Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 50:380-6. 2004
..The present study was undertaken to investigate this...
- Inhibitors and inactivators of protein arginine deiminase 4: functional and structural characterization
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of South Carolina, 631 Sumter Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Biochemistry 45:11727-36. 2006
..coregulator that catalyzes the calcium-dependent conversion of specific arginine residues in proteins to citrulline. Recently, we reported the synthesis and characterization of F-amidine, a potent and bioavailable irreversible ..
- Response of Th17 cells to a citrullinated arthritogenic aggrecan peptide in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Alexei von Delwig
Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Arthritis Rheum 62:143-9. 2010
..The aim of this study was to investigate whether T cells specific for citrullinated epitopes from self proteins are present in patients with RA...
- Autoantibody systems in rheumatoid arthritis: specificity, sensitivity and diagnostic value
Martinus A M van Boekel
Department of Biochemistry, University of Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Arthritis Res 4:87-93. 2002
..We conclude that, at present, the antibody response directed to citrullinated antigens has the most valuable diagnostic and prognostic potential for RA...
- Antibodies to citrullinated alpha-enolase peptide 1 are specific for rheumatoid arthritis and cross-react with bacterial enolase
Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:3009-19. 2008
..To map the antibody response to human citrullinated alpha-enolase, a candidate autoantigen in rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and to examine cross-reactivity with bacterial enolase...
- Almost all about citrulline in mammals
Laboratoire de Biomathématiques, E A 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
Amino Acids 29:177-205. 2005
b>Citrulline (Cit, C6H13N3O3), which is a ubiquitous amino acid in mammals, is strongly related to arginine. Citrulline metabolism in mammals is divided into two fields: free citrulline and citrullinated proteins...
- Increased citrullination of histone H3 in multiple sclerosis brain and animal models of demyelination: a role for tumor necrosis factor-induced peptidylarginine deiminase 4 translocation
Fabrizio G Mastronardi
Department of Structural Biology and Biochemistry, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
J Neurosci 26:11387-96. 2006
..In conclusion, high citrullination of histones consequent to PAD4 nuclear translocation is part of the process that leads to irreversible changes in oligodendrocytes and may contribute to apoptosis of oligodendrocytes in MS...
- Citrulline: from metabolism to therapeutic use
Laboratoire de Pharmacie Galenique, Faculté de Pharmacie de Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
Nutrition 29:479-84. 2013
b>Citrulline possesses a highly specific metabolism that bypasses splanchnic extraction because it is not used by the intestine or taken up by the liver...
- Pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases: antibodies against transglutaminase, peptidylarginine deiminase and protein-bound citrulline in primary Sjögren's syndrome, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease
E Bodil Roth
Hospital Pharmacy, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 67:626-31. 2008
..The prevalence of anti-PAD, anti-TG2 and ACPA is comparatively restricted. PAD and TG2 do not seem to be involved directly in autoimmune mechanisms in pSS, MS or AD...
- T-cell autoreactivity to citrullinated autoantigenic peptides in rheumatoid arthritis patients carrying HLA-DRB1 shared epitope alleles
Soi Cheng Law
The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD 4102, Australia
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R118. 2012
..To characterise T-cell autoreactivity towards citrullinated self-epitopes, we profiled responses of SE+ healthy controls and RA patients to citrullinated and unmodified epitopes of four autoantigens...
- The periodontium of periodontitis patients contains citrullinated proteins which may play a role in ACPA (anti-citrullinated protein antibody) formation
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Groningen and University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 39:599-607. 2012
..To determine the presence and location (stroma versus epithelium) of citrullinated proteins in periodontitis tissue as compared to non-periodontitis tissue and synovial tissue of RA patients...
- Systemic L-citrulline prevents cerebral vasospasm in haptoglobin 2-2 transgenic mice after subarachnoid hemorrhage
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Neurosurgery 70:747-56; discussion 756-7. 2012
..L-Citrulline increases L-arginine levels, thereby raising NO synthesis...
- Protein carbamylation links inflammation, smoking, uremia and atherogenesis
Department of Cell Biology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Nat Med 13:1176-84. 2007
..We propose that protein carbamylation is a mechanism linking inflammation, smoking, uremia and coronary artery disease pathogenesis...
- Arginase activities and global arginine bioavailability in wild-type and ApoE-deficient mice: responses to high fat and high cholesterol diets
Toxicology and Molecular Biology Branch, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, West Virginia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15253. 2010
..and tissues and on global arginine bioavailability (defined as the ratio of plasma arginine to ornithine + citrulline) in apoE(-/-) and wild-type C57BL/6J mice...
- Expression and activity of citrullinating peptidylarginine deiminase enzymes in monocytes and macrophages
E R Vossenaar
Department of Biochemistry, University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 63:373-81. 2004
Antibodies directed to proteins containing the non-standard amino acid citrulline, are extremely specific for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Peptidylcitrulline can be generated by post-translational conversion of arginine residues...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of oral L-citrulline and L-arginine: impact on nitric oxide metabolism
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Medical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 65:51-9. 2008
..In contrast, L-citrulline is readily absorbed and at least in part converted to L-arginine...
- Histone deimination antagonizes arginine methylation
Graeme L Cuthbert
Gurdon Institute and Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, United Kingdom
Cell 118:545-53. 2004
..Here we describe a process, deimination, that converts histone arginine to citrulline and antagonizes arginine methylation...
- Regulation of nitric oxide production in health and disease
Yvette C Luiking
Center for Translational Research in Aging and Longevity, Donald W Reynolds Institute on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13:97-104. 2010
..The purpose of this review is to highlight recent publications examining nitric oxide production in health and disease and its association with clinical nutrition and alterations in metabolism...
- Citrullination is an inflammation-dependent process
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology Unit, CMM, L8 04, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1219-22. 2006
..To study the presence of citrullinated proteins in inflammatory conditions and in clinically non-affected tissues of controls...
- Effects of maternal L-citrulline supplementation on renal function and blood pressure in offspring exposed to maternal caloric restriction: the impact of nitric oxide pathway
You Lin Tain
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Taiwan
Nitric Oxide 23:34-41. 2010
..to kidney disease vulnerability in offspring from mothers with caloric restriction diets and whether maternal L-citrulline (L-Cit) supplementation can prevent this...
- Deimination of arginine residues in nucleophosmin/B23 and histones in HL-60 granulocytes
Graduate School of Integrated Science, Yokohama City University, 22 2, Seto, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0027, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290:979-83. 2002
Peptidylarginine deiminases (PADs) convert arginine residues in proteins into citrulline residues Ca(2+)-dependently. PAD V was recently found in granulocyte-differentiated HL-60 cells...
- Renal cell carcinoma does not express argininosuccinate synthetase and is highly sensitive to arginine deprivation via arginine deiminase
Cheol Yong Yoon
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul 136 705, Korea
Int J Cancer 120:897-905. 2007
..its antitumor activity largely depends on the level of intracellular ASS, which enables tumor cells to recycle citrulline to arginine...
- Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies are a collection of anti-citrullinated protein antibodies and contain overlapping and non-overlapping reactivities
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 70:188-93. 2011
..Likewise, it is unknown to what extent antibody responses to different citrullinated antigens are crossreactive...
- Human PAD4 regulates histone arginine methylation levels via demethylimination
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 306:279-83. 2004
..that human peptidylarginine deiminase 4 (PAD4) regulates histone Arg methylation by converting methyl-Arg to citrulline and releasing methylamine...
- Contribution of myelin autoantigen citrullination to T cell autoaggression in the central nervous system
Centre for Inflammation Research, Queen s Medical Research Institute, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Immunol 184:2839-46. 2010
..A posttranslational modification of particular interest is the deimination of Arg to citrulline, catalyzed by peptidylarginyl deiminase (PAD) enzymes...
- Different patterns of associations with anti-citrullinated protein antibody-positive and anti-citrullinated protein antibody-negative rheumatoid arthritis in the extended major histocompatibility complex region
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 60:30-8. 2009
- Clinical utility of the anti-CCP assay in patients with rheumatic diseases
D M Lee
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 62:870-4. 2003
..To determine the frequency of antibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides (CCP) in a group of patients with a diversity of rheumatic diseases...
- Multiple antibody reactivities to citrullinated antigens in sera from patients with rheumatoid arthritis: association with HLA-DRB1 alleles
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology Unit, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 68:736-43. 2009
..Autoantibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides (anti-CCP) are present in most patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and associate with HLA-DRB1 shared epitope (SE) alleles...
- Localization of peptidylarginine deiminase 4 (PADI4) and citrullinated protein in synovial tissue of rheumatoid arthritis
Laboratory for Rheumatic Diseases, SNP Research Center, Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, 1 7 22 Suehiro, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230 0045, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:40-50. 2005
Peptidylarginine deiminases (PADIs) convert peptidylarginine into citrulline via post-translational modification. Anti-citrullinated peptide antibodies are highly specific for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Antibody against mutated citrullinated vimentin: a new sensitive marker in the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis
Institute for Rheumatology of the Kurstadt Baden RSKA Baden of the NOEGKK and Ludwig Boltzmann Cluster Rheumatology, Balneology and Rehabilitation, Forschungsstelle for Epidemiology of Rheumatic Diseases, 2500 Baden, Austria
Rheumatol Int 29:1315-21. 2009
..In a subgroup of 86 RA patients we found a significant correlation between anti-MCV and disease activity. Anti-MCV appears to be an important marker for the diagnosis of RA, and correlates also with disease activity...
- Proteomic analysis of secreted proteins in early rheumatoid arthritis: anti-citrulline autoreactivity is associated with up regulation of proinflammatory cytokines
Division of Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, and Palo Alto VA Health Care System, MC 154R, 3801 Miranda Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 66:712-9. 2007
..To identify peripheral blood autoantibody and cytokine profiles that characterise clinically relevant subgroups of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis using arthritis antigen microarrays and a multiplex cytokine assay...
- Oral L-citrulline supplementation attenuates blood pressure response to cold pressor test in young men
Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Am J Hypertens 23:12-6. 2010
Oral L-citrulline is efficiently converted to L-arginine, which has been shown to decrease brachial blood pressure (BP) at rest and during the cold pressor test (CPT)...
- Role of L-citrulline transport in nitric oxide synthesis in rat aortic smooth muscle cells activated with LPS and interferon-gamma
Samantha M Wileman
Centre for Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, GKT School of Biomedical Sciences, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London SE1 1UL
Br J Pharmacol 140:179-85. 2003
1) l-citrulline, a coproduct of nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-catalysed metabolism of l-arginine to nitric oxide (NO), is an important intermediate of the urea cycle and a precursor for l-arginine biosynthesis in vascular cells...
- Organic anion transporter OAT1 is involved in renal handling of citrulline
Department of Membrane Transport and Pharmacokinetics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University ofScience, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F71-9. 2009
Because citrulline plasma concentration is elevated in kidney failure, citrulline could be a biomarker of renal insufficiency, although the mechanism regulating its disposition in the kidney has not been clarified...
- Anti-citrullinated protein/peptide antibodies (ACPA) in rheumatoid arthritis: specificity and relation with rheumatoid factor
B Vander Cruyssen
Department of Rheumatology, Ghent University Hospital, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Autoimmun Rev 4:468-74. 2005
..Indeed, both antibody systems have a different association with specific RA features like extra-articular manifestations, a different association with the HLA shared epitope and, behave differently following anti-TNF therapy...
- Diagnostic value of anti-cyclic citrullinated Peptide antibody in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Rheumatology, Chinese Academy of Medical Science, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China
J Rheumatol 30:1451-5. 2003
..To explore the diagnostic value of anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody (anti-CCP) detected by ELISA in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Plasma citrulline: A marker of enterocyte mass in villous atrophy-associated small bowel disease
Department of Hepagastroenterology and Nutrion Support, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Gastroenterology 124:1210-9. 2003
Plasma citrulline, a nonprotein amino acid produced by enterocytes, was suggested as a marker of remnant enterocyte mass in patients with short bowel...
- Antibodies to several citrullinated antigens are enriched in the joints of rheumatoid arthritis patients
Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet at Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 62:44-52. 2010
..Furthermore, we studied their relationships with mutated citrullinated vimentin (MCV), a newly identified RA-specific serum assay, and the classic cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP) in the synovial fluid of well-defined HLA-DR groups...
- Diminished global arginine bioavailability and increased arginine catabolism as metabolic profile of increased cardiovascular risk
W H Wilson Tang
Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention, Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:2061-7. 2009
..We hypothesized that an integrated assessment of arginine with its catabolic products might better predict cardiovascular risks than arginine levels alone...
- Rheumatoid factor and antibodies to cyclic citrullinated Peptide differentiate rheumatoid arthritis from undifferentiated polyarthritis in patients with early arthritis
Annemarie L M A Jansen
Jan van Breemen Instituut and the Department of Rheumatology, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Rheumatol 29:2074-6. 2002
- Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies, IgM and IgA rheumatoid factors in the diagnosis and prognosis of rheumatoid arthritis
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:677-80. 2003
- Diagnostic and prognostic usefulness of antibodies to citrullinated peptides
Service de Rhumatologie, Institut de recherche biomédicale, CHU Hôpitaux de Rouen, France
Joint Bone Spine 76:343-9. 2009
..The presence of ACPAs predicts poorer functional and structural outcomes, and ACPA titers respond to some of the medications used in RA. Therefore, ACPA titers should be determined at regular intervals throughout follow-up...
- Decreased glutamate, glutamine and citrulline concentrations in plasma and muscle in endotoxemia cannot be reversed by glutamate or glutamine supplementation: a primary intestinal defect?
INRA, CNRH IdF, UMR914 Nutrition Physiology and Ingestive Behavior, 16 rue Claude Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
Amino Acids 43:1485-98. 2012
Endotoxemia affects intestinal physiology. A decrease of circulating citrulline concentration is considered as a reflection of the intestinal function. Citrulline can be produced in enterocytes notably from glutamate and glutamine...
- Generation of a mouse model for citrullinemia by targeted disruption of the argininosuccinate synthetase gene
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Somat Cell Mol Genet 20:55-60. 1994
Argininosuccinate synthetase (ASS) is a urea cycle enzyme that forms argininosuccinate from citrulline and aspartate. Mutations at the ASS locus in man cause the inherited disease, citrullinemia...
- Relative contribution of different l-arginine sources to the substrate supply of endothelial nitric oxide synthase
Department of Pharmacology, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
J Mol Cell Cardiol 51:855-61. 2011
..hy.926 endothelial cells demonstrated that eNOS can obtain its substrate from the conversion of l-citrulline to l-arginine and from protein breakdown...
- Impaired early B cell tolerance in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Immunology, Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Exp Med 201:1659-67. 2005
..Thus, RA patients exhibit defective B cell tolerance checkpoints that may favor the development of autoimmunity...
- Citrullination of autoantigens: upstream of TNFÎ± in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis
Anne Marie Quirke
Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, Imperial College London, London, UK
FEBS Lett 585:3681-8. 2011
- Association between glutamine extraction and release of citrulline and glycine by the human small intestine
Department of Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Life Sci 80:1846-50. 2007
..45%, approximately 3 times higher than 9.41% in the distal colon. Citrulline, proline, alanine, glycine, and arginine were released by the small intestine into the portal circulation...
- Citrulline a more suitable substrate than arginine to restore NO production and the microcirculation during endotoxemia
Karolina A P Wijnands
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e37439. 2012
..We hypothesized that supplementation of the arginine precursor citrulline rather than arginine would specifically increase eNOS-induced intracellular NO production and thereby improve ..
- Prolonged hypoxia augments L-citrulline transport by system A in the newborn piglet pulmonary circulation
Candice D Fike
Department of Pediatrics, University School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2215 B Garland Ave, Nashville, TN 37232 0656, USA
Cardiovasc Res 95:375-84. 2012
..arterial endothelial cells (PAECs) express the enzymes needed for generation of l-arginine from intracellular l-citrulline but do not express the enzymes needed for de novo l-citrulline synthesis...
- Interactions between the NO-citrulline cycle and brain-derived neurotrophic factor in differentiation of neural stem cells
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 05508 900 Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Biol Chem 287:29690-701. 2012
..Argininosuccinate synthase (AS) is a ubiquitous enzyme in mammals and the key enzyme of the NO-citrulline cycle, because it provides the substrate L-arginine for subsequent NO synthesis by inducible, endothelial, and ..
- Small intestinal alterations in severely obese hyperglycemic subjects
Froukje J Verdam
Department of General Surgery, School for Nutrition, Toxicology, and Metabolism Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University Medical Center, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E379-83. 2011
..Type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM2) is associated with small intestinal hyperplasia and hypertrophy in rodents. Moreover, the small intestine is increasingly acknowledged to play a role in the pathophysiology of DM2...
- IgG subclass distribution of the rheumatoid arthritis-specific autoantibodies to citrullinated fibrin
Laboratory of Epidermis Differentiation and Rheumatoid Autoimmunity, UMR 5165 CNRS Toulouse III University, Toulouse, France
Clin Exp Immunol 139:542-50. 2005
- Citrulline as a biomarker of intestinal failure due to enterocyte mass reduction
Departement de Medecine, Hopital Raymond Poincare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Garches, France
Clin Nutr 27:328-39. 2008
In human, citrulline (plasma concentration about 40 micromol/L) is an amino acid involved in intermediary metabolism and that is not incorporated in proteins. Circulating citrulline is mainly produced by enterocytes of the small bowel...
- HLA-DR1001 presents "altered-self" peptides derived from joint-associated proteins by accepting citrulline in three of its binding pockets
Eddie A James
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, Seattle, Washington, USA
Arthritis Rheum 62:2909-18. 2010
..The present study was undertaken to assess the capacity of DR1001 to accommodate citrulline in its binding pockets and to identify citrullinated T cell epitopes derived from joint-associated proteins.
- Anti-mutated citrullinated vimentin (anti-MCV) and anti-65 kDa heat shock protein (anti-hsp65): new biomarkers in ankylosing spondylitis
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Medicine, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, 98, Nagyerdei street, 4012 Debrecen, Hungary
Joint Bone Spine 79:63-6. 2012
..As new laboratory biomarkers of AS are needed, we investigated the prevalence of anti-mutated citrullinated vimentin (MCV) and anti-hsp65 antibodies in AS...
- Anticitrulline antibodies can be caused by homocitrulline-containing proteins in rabbits
University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Arthritis Rheum 62:3345-52. 2010
To clarify the possible roles of protein-bound homocitrulline in causing an antibody response to citrulline and as a confounding factor in citrulline detection assays.
- Arginine bioavailability ratios are associated with cardiovascular mortality in patients referred to coronary angiography
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Atherosclerosis 218:220-5. 2011
..The aim of the current study is to investigate the association of arginine bioavailability ratios with markers of endothelial function and cardiovascular mortality in patients referred to coronary angiography...
- L-Citrulline ameliorates chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in newborn piglets
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, Nashville, TN, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 297:L506-11. 2009
..NO synthase (eNOS) in the pulmonary vascular endothelium using l-arginine as a substrate and producing l-citrulline as a byproduct...
- Citrullination of central nervous system proteins during the development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Department of Biochemistry, Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen, NL 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 486:243-53. 2005
..This is the first report in which hypercitrullination of CNS proteins in EAE is described and in which proteins other than myelin basic protein are reported to be citrullinated during autoimmune-mediated CNS inflammation...
- Effects of L-citrulline oral supplementation on polymorphonuclear neutrophils oxidative burst and nitric oxide production after exercise
Laboratori de Ciencies de l Activitat Fisica, Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Ciencies de la Salut, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Free Radic Res 43:828-35. 2009
Seventeen volunteer male professional cyclists were randomly assigned to control or supplemented (6 g L-citrulline-malate) groups and participated in a cycling stage...
- Resistance to the anti-proliferative activity of recombinant arginine deiminase in cell culture correlates with the endogenous enzyme, argininosuccinate synthetase
Li Jiuan Shen
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, PSC 404B, 1985 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9121, USA
Cancer Lett 191:165-70. 2003
..The activity of argininosuccinate synthetase (AS), the rate-limiting enzyme for converting citrulline to arginine, was also measured...
- Restoration of impaired nitric oxide production in MELAS syndrome with citrulline and arginine supplementation
Ayman W El-Hattab
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Child Health, University of Missouri Health Care, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Mol Genet Metab 105:607-14. 2012
..aimed to assess NO production in subjects with MELAS syndrome and the effect of the NO precursors arginine and citrulline. Using stable isotope infusion techniques, we assessed arginine, citrulline, and NO metabolism in control ..
- L-arginine uptake, the citrulline-NO cycle and arginase II in the rat brain: an in situ hybridization study
Central Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, University Hospital, CH 1011, Lausanne, Switzerland
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 70:231-41. 1999
..Arginine can also be recycled from the citrulline produced by NOS activity, through argininosuccinate synthetase (AS) and argininosuccinate lyase (AL) activities, ..
- Functional haplotypes of PADI4, encoding citrullinating enzyme peptidylarginine deiminase 4, are associated with rheumatoid arthritis
Laboratory for Rheumatic Diseases, SNP Research Center, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, 1 7 22, Suehirocho, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama City, Kanagawa 230 0045, Japan
Nat Genet 34:395-402. 2003
..Our results imply that the PADI4 haplotype associated with susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis increases production of citrullinated peptides acting as autoantigens, resulting in heightened risk of developing the disease...
- L-citrulline reduces time to exhaustion and insulin response to a graded exercise test
Robert C Hickner
Human Performance Laboratory, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:660-6. 2006
..Furthermore, L-citrulline supplementation increases plasma L-arginine concentration to a level higher than that achieved by oral L-..
- Involvement of peptidylarginine deiminase-mediated post-translational citrullination in pathogenesis of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Ilsong Institute of Life Science, Hallym University, Anyang, Republic of Korea
Acta Neuropathol 119:199-210. 2010
..processes play key roles in protein functions and structural stability through the conversion of arginine to citrulline in the presence of excessive calcium concentrations...
- Citrulline and arginine utility in treating nitric oxide deficiency in mitochondrial disorders
Ayman W El-Hattab
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital at King Fahad Medical City and King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Science, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Mol Genet Metab 107:247-52. 2012
..shunting into reactive nitrogen species formation, and decreased availability of the NO precursors arginine and citrulline. Arginine and citrulline supplementation can result in increased NO production and hence potentially have ..
- Synovial fluid is a site of citrullination of autoantigens in inflammatory arthritis
Imperial College London, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:2287-95. 2008
..To examine synovial fluid as a site for generating citrullinated antigens, including the candidate autoantigen citrullinated alpha-enolase, in rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- A new model for an etiology of rheumatoid arthritis: smoking may trigger HLA-DR (shared epitope)-restricted immune reactions to autoantigens modified by citrullination
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 54:38-46. 2006
To investigate whether smoking and HLA-DR shared epitope (SE) genes may interact in triggering immune reactions to citrulline-modified proteins.
- Intravenous administration of L-citrulline to pregnant ewes is more effective than L-arginine for increasing arginine availability in the fetus
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Nutr 139:660-5. 2009
..Therefore, we used an ovine model to test the hypothesis that infusion of L-citrulline into the maternal circulation increases L-arginine availability to the fetus...
- Nutrient intake in lysinuric protein intolerance
L M Tanner
Department of Pediatrics, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, 20520, Turku, Finland
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:716-21. 2007
..Oral supplementation with citrulline, which is absorbed normally and metabolized to arginine and ornithine, improves protein tolerance to some extent,..
- Effect of arginine, ornithine and citrulline supplementation upon performance and metabolism of trained rats
M O Meneguello
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cell Biochem Funct 21:85-91. 2003
..In the present study we evaluated the effect of arginine, citrulline and ornithine supplementation, intermediates of the urea cycle, on the performance of sedentary and swimming-..
- Is there a correlation between circulating levels of citrulline and intestinal dysfunction in the critically ill?
S Oaleed Noordally
Centre Hospitalier de Jolimont, Jolimont, Belgium
Nutr Clin Pract 27:527-32. 2012
The aim of this study was to assess the correlation between plasma citrulline and Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA) score, Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation II (APACHE II) score, survival, inflammation (C-reactive ..
- The effect of L-arginine and citrulline on endothelial function in patients in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction
Heart Failure Clinic, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Cardiol J 17:464-70. 2010
To evaluate the effect of the amino acids L-arginine and citrulline on endothelial function in patients in stable diastolic and right heart failure using photoplethysmography.
- Therapeutic use of citrulline in cardiovascular disease
Maritza J Romero
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta GA, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 24:275-90. 2006
L-citrulline is the natural precursor of L-arginine, substrate for nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the production of NO...
- Peptidyl argininedeiminase 2 CpG island in multiple sclerosis white matter is hypomethylated
Fabrizio G Mastronardi
Molecular Structure and Function, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurosci Res 85:2006-16. 2007
- Serum citrulline is a potential marker for rejection of intestinal allografts
The Recanati Miller Transplantation Institute, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
Transplant Proc 34:918-20. 2002
- Specific modification of peptide-bound citrulline residues
Institute of Immunology, University of Oslo, NO 0027 Oslo, Norway
Anal Biochem 352:68-76. 2006
Immune reactions to citrulline-containing proteins appear to be central in the immunopathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis...
- The role of citrullinated proteins suggests a novel mechanism in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis
Mario A Moscarello
Department of Structural Biology and Biochemistry, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, M5G 1X8, Toronto, ON, Canada
Neurochem Res 32:251-6. 2007
..The conversion of arginine to citrulline in brain is carried out by an enzyme peptidyl arginine deiminase (PAD) 2...
- Oral citrulline as arginine precursor may be beneficial in sickle cell disease: early phase two results
W H Waugh
Department of Physiology and Medicine, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 93:363-71. 2001
..L-Citrulline as precursor amino acid was given orally twice daily in daily doses of approximately 0...
- Autoantibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides predict progression to rheumatoid arthritis in patients with undifferentiated arthritis: a prospective cohort study
F A Van Gaalen
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 50:709-15. 2004
- Smoking increases peptidylarginine deiminase 2 enzyme expression in human lungs and increases citrullination in BAL cells
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1488-92. 2008
..Identification of citrullinated proteins in bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) cells from smokers has led to the suggestion that citrullination induced by smoking might be the first step in the pathogenic chain of RA...
- Citrullination of CXCL8 increases this chemokine's ability to mobilize neutrophils into the blood circulation
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Rega Institute, K U Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Haematologica 94:1346-53. 2009
..Recently, we discovered a new natural post-translational modification of CXCL8, i.e. the deimination of arginine into citrulline by peptidylarginine deiminases.
- Acute intestinal failure in critically ill patients: is plasma citrulline the right marker?
Intensive Care Unit, Besancon University Hospital, Besancon, France
Intensive Care Med 37:911-7. 2011
..However, a validated definition of acute intestinal failure is lacking, in absence of a marker to measure it. Consequently, small bowel dysfunction is not clearly integrated into the overall approach used to treat ICU patients...
- Dietary fish and fish oil and the risk of rheumatoid arthritis
Division of Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Epidemiology 20:896-901. 2009
..Whether the intake of oily fish and fish oil might also protect against the development of rheumatoid arthritis is not known...
- Fine specificity of the anti-citrullinated protein antibody response is influenced by the shared epitope alleles
K N Verpoort
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 56:3949-52. 2007
..ACPA levels are higher in SE-positive patients with RA than in SE-negative patients with RA. The aim of the present study was to determine whether SE influences not only the magnitude but also the specificity of the ACPA response...
- Anti-citrulline antibodies in the diagnosis and prognosis of rheumatoid arthritis: evolving concepts
Department of Internal Medicine and Division of Rheumatology, Clinical Immunology and Allergy, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 44:339-63. 2007
b>Citrulline is a non-standard amino acid that can be incorporated into proteins only by post-translational modification of arginine by peptidylarginine deiminase (PAD) enzymes during a variety of biologic processes, including inflammation...
- Integrity and stability of the citrulline-arginine pathway in normal and tumour cell lines
Denys N Wheatley
BioMedES, Hilton Campus, Hilton Place, Aberdeen AB24 4FA, UK
Cancer Lett 227:141-52. 2005
..g. melanomas and hepatocellular carcinomas (HCC) that have poor citrulline converting ability, it is possible that the deprivation can be applied to many other types of cancer...
- Clinical and pathophysiological significance of the autoimmune response to citrullinated proteins in rheumatoid arthritis
Faculte de Medecine, Purpan IFR30, Unité Différenciation Épidermique et Auto immunité Rhumatoïde, UMR 5165 CNRS Toulouse III Université, CNRS Inserm Université Paul Sabatier CHU de Toulouse, Place du Docteur Baylac, 31059 Toulouse, France
Joint Bone Spine 71:493-502. 2004
..Numerous questions about the pathophysiological significance of the autoimmune response to deiminated proteins in RA remain to be answered to confirm this model...
- Association of rheumatoid arthritis treatment response and disease duration with declines in serum levels of IgM rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody
T R Mikuls
Department of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:3776-82. 2004
..To examine the association of treatment response and disease duration with changes in rheumatoid factor (RF) and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibody levels among patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase gene expression and enzyme activity correlate with disease activity in murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
A H Cross
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Neuroimmunol 71:145-53. 1996
..Functional iNOS activity, as assessed by assay of calcium-independent citrulline production, was also significantly increased in spinal cords from mice with acute EAE in comparison to normal ..
- Nitric oxide precursors and congenital heart surgery: a randomized controlled trial of oral citrulline
Heidi A B Smith
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:58-65. 2006
The study sought to determine whether citrulline supplementation, a precursor to nitric oxide synthesis, is safe and efficacious in increasing plasma citrulline concentrations and decreasing the risk of postoperative pulmonary hypertension...
- Prevalence and clinical significance of anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies in juvenile idiopathic arthritis
Department of Paediatrics, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 61:608-11. 2002
..Antibodies against cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) are considered to be specific for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Myelin localization of peptidylarginine deiminases 2 and 4: comparison of PAD2 and PAD4 activities
Dorothy D Wood
Molecular Structure and Function, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lab Invest 88:354-64. 2008
..The presence of citrulline in myelin proteins in particular myelin basic protein (MBP) causes an important change in myelin structure, ..
- Methylation of arginine residues interferes with citrullination by peptidylarginine deiminases in vitro
Department of Biomolecular Chemistry, Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences, Institute for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Mol Biol 367:1118-29. 2007
Peptidylarginine deiminase (PAD) enzymes catalyze the conversion of arginine residues in proteins to citrulline residues...