Genomes and Genes
Summary: 4-(4-Amino-4-carboxybutyl)-1-(5-amino-5-carboxypentyl)-3,5-bis(3-amino-3-carboxypropyl)pyridinium. A rare amino acid found in elastin, formed by condensation of four molecules of lysine into a pyridinium ring.
Publications158 found, 100 shown here
- Measurements of desmosine and isodesmosine by mass spectrometry in COPDShuren Ma
St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, Department of Medicine, 1000 Tenth Avenue, Mara Center, New York, NY 10019, USA
Chest 131:1363-71. 2007Application of mass spectrometry (MS) for direct measurements of desmosine (D) and isodesmosine (I) in urine, plasma, and sputum as markers of elastin degradation in patients with alpha(1)-antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) and non-AATD-..
- Comparison of ELISA and HPLC for the determination of desmosine or isodesmosine in aortic tissue elastinT Osakabe
Drug Discovery Laboratory, Hoechst Japan Limited, Saitama, Japan
J Clin Lab Anal 9:293-6. 1995We developed a rapid and simple method for estimating tissue elastin content by measuring desmosine (D) in tissue hydrolysates by competitive ELISA. We compared the ELISA previously reported HPLC methods...
- Progress in the methodological strategies for the detection in real samples of desmosine and isodesmosine, two biological markers of elastin degradationSimona Viglio
Dipartimento di Biochimica A Castellani, Universita di Pavia, Italy
J Sep Sci 30:202-13. 2007..Recent applications of CE with LIF detection (CE-LIF) for investigating the content of desmosines in different fluids will also be discussed...
- Cathepsin S deficiency confers protection from neonatal hyperoxia-induced lung injuryHiroshi Hirakawa
Division of Newborn Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Thorn 1019, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:778-85. 2007..Elastolytic proteases have been implicated in the pathogenesis of BPD. Cathepsin S (cat S) is a cysteine protease with potent elastolytic activity. Increased levels and activity of cat S have been detected in a baboon model of BPD...
- Sputum desmosine during hospital admission for pulmonary exacerbation in cystic fibrosisTheresa A Laguna
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Chest 136:1561-8. 2009..The noninvasive measurement of desmosine, a breakdown product of elastin, may reflect ongoing lung injury and serve as a biomarker of short-term damage...
- Long-term variability of desmosine/isodesmosine as biomarker in alpha-1-antritrypsin deficiency-related COPDLaura Fregonese
Pulmonology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
COPD 8:329-33. 2011b>Desmosine and isodesmosine are products of elastin breakdown which are candidate biomarkers to measure lung destruction in COPD...
- High levels of desmosines in urine and plasma of patients with pseudoxanthoma elasticumL Annovazzi
Universita di Pavia, Pavia, and Università di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 34:156-64. 2004..We determined the extent of degradation of elastin by measuring and comparing the amount of desmosines in plasma and urine of PXE patients, healthy carriers and normal subjects...
- Urinary desmosine: a biomarker of structural lung injury during CF pulmonary exacerbationTheresa A Laguna
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota Medical School and The University of Minnesota Amplatz Children s Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 47:856-63. 2012..The non-invasive measurement of urinary desmosine (UDes), a breakdown product of elastin, may be reflective of ongoing lung injury and may serve as a biomarker of ..
- Clinical validity of plasma and urinary desmosine as biomarkers for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJeffrey T J Huang
Translational Medicine Research Collaboration, Dundee, UK
Thorax 67:502-8. 2012..The objectives of this study were to determine the validity of urinary and blood total desmosine/isodesmosine in patients with COPD and asthma and to evaluate their relationship to exacerbation status and lung ..
- Mechanism of formation of elastin crosslinksM Akagawa
Department of Applied Bioorganic Chemistry, Division of Life Science, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, 1 1 Tsutsumidori Amamiyamachi, Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Connect Tissue Res 41:131-41. 2000..compounds were identified and the structures were identical with the skeleton of the crosslinking amino acids, desmosine (DES), isodesmosine (IDE), and pentasine...
- Procollagen III N-terminal propeptide and desmosine are released by matrix destruction in pulmonary tuberculosisJo Seddon
Infectious Diseases and Immunity
J Infect Dis 208:1571-9. 2013..We investigate the hypothesis that MMP activity generates matrix turnover products as correlates of lung pathology...
- Quantification of elastin cross-linking amino acids, desmosine and isodesmosine, in hydrolysates of rat lung by ion-pair liquid chromatography-mass spectrometryNaoko Kaga
Central Laboratory of Medical Sciences, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Anal Biochem 318:25-9. 2003The elastin cross-linking amino acids, desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDE), in hydrolysates of rat lungs were quantified by ion-pair liquid chromatography-electrospray mass spectrometry. The column was a 2.0 mm i.d...
- Liberation of desmosine and isodesmosine as amino acids from insoluble elastin by elastolytic proteasesHideyuki Umeda
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 411:281-6. 2011..Releases of the elastin cross-links desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDE) may reflect elastin degradation in cardiovascular diseases...
- MEKC of desmosine and isodesmosine in urine of chronic destructive lung disease patientsS Viglio
Dipartimento di Biochemical, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Università degli nStudi di Pavia
Eur Respir J 15:1039-45. 2000..b>Desmosine and isodesmosine are elastin-derived cross-linked amino acids whose urine levels are considered representative ..
- Higher urine desmosine levels are associated with mortality in patients with acute lung injuryDana E McClintock
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0130, and Pulmonary and Critical Care Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L566-71. 2006b>Desmosine is a stable breakdown product of elastin that can be reliably measured in urine samples...
- Short-term supplementation therapy does not affect elastin degradation in severe alpha(1)-antitrypsin deficiency. The American-Italian AATD Study GroupD J Gottlieb
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118 2394, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:2069-72. 2000..intravenous supplementation therapy with alpha(1)-antitrypsin (AAT) to reduce the rate of urinary excretion of desmosine (DES), a specific marker of elastin degradation, in eight men and four women with emphysema due to severe, ..
- Elastin and collagen degradation products in urine of smokers with and without chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseP J Stone
Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 151:952-9. 1995..We used a new assay for urinary desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES), specific markers for the degradation of mature crosslinked elastin, and ..
- Capillary electrophoresis with laser-induced fluorescence detection as a novel sensitive approach for the analysis of desmosines in real samplesLaura Annovazzi
Dipartimento di Biochimica A Castellani, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Electrophoresis 25:683-91. 2004..1 fmol on column). We conclude that CE-LIF technique is a highly sensitive method for detecting urinary desmosines...
- Development and validation of a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of desmosines in tissuesE Guida
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Scienze Biochimiche, Universita di Perugia, Italy
J Chromatogr 507:51-7. 1990..and the validation of a general strategy for the simple and accurate analysis of desmosines (isodesmosine and desmosine) in tissues coupled with the determination of collagen (as hydroxyproline) is described...
- Measurement of skin desmosine as an indicator of altered cutaneous elastin in draft horses with chronic progressive lymphedemaHilde E V De Cock
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 4:67-72. 2006....
- High-sensitivity nanoLC-MS/MS analysis of urinary desmosine and isodesmosineMichel Boutin
Institute for Research in Immunology and Cancer and Department of Chemistry, Universite de Montreal, P O Box 6128, Station Centre Ville Montréal QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Anal Chem 81:1881-7. 2009..The degradation of elastin gives rise to desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES), two major urinary products typified by a hydrophilic pyridinium-based cross-..
- Urinary desmosine excretion is inversely correlated with the extent of emphysema in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseFranca Cocci
Istituto di Fisiologia Clinica del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche CNR, Area di Ricerca San Cataldo, Via Moruzzi 1, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34:594-604. 2002..To assess whether urinary desmosine and/or hydroxyproline may be used as a marker of lung destruction we studied urinary excretions of these ..
- High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of desmosine and isodesmosine after phenylisothiocyanate derivatizationM Salomoni
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
J Chromatogr 572:312-6. 1991A new sensitive and selective high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the analysis of desmosine and isodesmosine in human and rat tissues is described...
- Development of a robust LC-MS/MS method for determination of desmosine and isodesmosine in human urineKohei Shiraishi
Sumika Chemical Analysis Service, Ltd, Pharmaceutical Business Division, Osaka, Japan
J Oleo Sci 59:431-9. 2010b>Desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES) are both pyridinium amino acid isomers that serve as cross-linking molecules binding the polymeric chains of amino acids into elastin...
- An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the quantitation of urinary desmosineT Watanabe
Cell Biology Research Laboratory, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Kanagawa, Japan
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 14:347-56. 1989..immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method has been developed for the quantitation of the elastin cross-link desmosine in urine...
- Determination of desmosine, isodesmosine, and other amino acids by liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection following precolumn derivatization with naphthalenedialdehyde/cyanideS M Lunte
Center for Bioanalytical Research, University of Kansas, Lawrence 66046
Anal Biochem 178:202-7. 1989..b>Desmosine and isodesmosine were of particular interest because of their importance in elastic fiber and the lack of highly ..
- Reactivity of human leukocyte elastase and porcine pancreatic elastase toward peptide 4-nitroanilides containing model desmosine residues. Evidence that human leukocyte elastase is selective for cross-linked regions of elastinA Yasutake
Biochemistry 20:3675-9. 1981Elastin contains a number of cross-linking amino acid residues such as desmosine and isodesmosine which are primarily hydrophobic in character, but have a positively charged pyridinium ring...
- Short-term variability of biomarkers of proteinase activity in patients with emphysema associated with type Z alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiencyJan Stolk
Department of Pulmonology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Respir Res 6:47. 2005..Cross-sectional studies have shown increased levels of biomarkers of extracellular matrix degradation in vivo. Longitudinal variability of these biomarkers is unknown but desirable for clinical studies with proteinase inhibitors...
- Methods in elastic tissue biology: elastin isolation and purificationRobert P Mecham
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Methods 45:32-41. 2008..It also addresses key aspects of studying tropoelastin production in cultured cells, where elastin expression is highly dependent upon cell type, culture conditions, and passage number...
- The detection and quantitation of free desmosine and isodesmosine in human urine and their peptide-bound forms in sputumShuren Ma
James P Mara Center for Lung Disease, Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10019, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12941-3. 2003b>Desmosine (D) and isodesmosine (I), the intramolecular crosslinking amino acids that occur in chains of elastin, have now been found in free form in human urine...
- The effect of tiotropium therapy on markers of elastin degradation in COPDShuren Ma
James P Mara Center for Lung Disease, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, 1000 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY 10019, USA
Respir Res 10:12. 2009b>Desmosine and Isodesmosine (D/I) are cross-linking amino acids which are present only in mature elastin...
- Measurement of urinary desmosine by isotope dilution and high performance liquid chromatography. Correlation between elastase-induced air-space enlargement in the hamster and elevation of urinary desmosineP J Stone
Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118
Am Rev Respir Dis 144:284-90. 1991The accuracy of methods employed to measure the elastin-specific crosslinks, desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES), has been called into question because contaminants in the urine may cause elevated values...
- Urinary desmosine excretion in acute exacerbations of COPD: a preliminary reportD Fiorenza
Laboratorio di Biochimica e Genetica della Clinica di Malattie dell Apparato Respiratorio, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita degli Studi di Pavia, Italy
Respir Med 96:110-4. 2002b>Desmosine (DES) is an elastin-derived, cross-link amino acid, which is not metabolized; hence, its urinary levels reflect elastin breakdown...
- Measurement of urinary total desmosine and isodesmosine using isotope-dilution liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryOsama Albarbarawi
Translational Medicine Research Collaboration, TMRC Laboratory, James Arrott Drive, Dundee, DD1 9SY, Pfizer Inc, United Kingdom
Anal Chem 82:3745-50. 2010The current LC-MS based desmosine/isodesmosine (DES/IDS) assays may be unsatisfactory for clinical use due to lack of an appropriate internal standard or low throughput...
- Desmosine as a biomarker of elastin degradation in COPD: current status and future directionsM Luisetti
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, Institute of Respiratory Disease, IRCCS San Matteo Hospital Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Eur Respir J 32:1146-57. 2008b>Desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES) are two unusual, tetrafunctional, pyridinium ring-containing amino acids involved in elastin cross-linking...
- Elastin and collagen degradation products in urine of patients with cystic fibrosisP J Stone
Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 152:157-62. 1995..18 patients with CF with a wide range of disease severity, we used an isotope dilution method to measure urinary desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES), amino acids derived exclusively from cross-linked elastin, and ..
- Synthetic serine elastase inhibitor reduces cigarette smoke-induced emphysema in guinea pigsJoanne L Wright
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:954-60. 2002..Acute smoke exposure increased lavage neutrophils and increased desmosine and hydroxyproline, measures of elastin and collagen breakdown; all these measures were reduced by ZD0892...
- Pulmonary elastin expression is decreased in the nitrofen-induced rat model of congenital diaphragmatic herniaGeorge B Mychaliska
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:666-71. 2004..Because CDH lungs are developmentally immature and have reduced compliance, the authors hypothesized that elastin deposition would be reduced and disorganized in the nitrofen rat model of CDH...
- A model two-component system for studying the architecture of elastin assembly in vitroSuzanne M Mithieux
School of Molecular Biosciences, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Struct Biol 149:282-9. 2005..shows hydrogel behavior and contains typical elastin cross-links including lysinonorleucine, allysine aldol, and desmosine. Protease digestion and subsequent mass-spectrometry analysis of multiple ELs allowed for the identification of ..
- The changes in crosslink contents in tissues after formalin fixationMasashi Abe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Anal Biochem 318:118-23. 2003..b>Desmosine (Des) and its isomer isodesmosine (Isodes) are crosslinks specifically found in elastin...
- Combining histology and biochemical measurements of connective tissue components in small samples of lung: application to bleomycin-induced fibrosis in the mouseBarry Starcher
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Health Center at Tyler, 75708, USA
Exp Lung Res 29:179-94. 2003..was protein concentration, which increased over 10-fold in some fibrotic lungs compared to normal lungs, whereas desmosine concentration increased up to 5-fold...
- Short-term treatment of spontaneously hypertensive rats with liver growth factor reduces carotid artery fibrosis, improves vascular function, and lowers blood pressureBeatriz Somoza
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, C Arzobispo Morcillo 2, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cardiovasc Res 69:764-71. 2006..The present study assesses the possible vascular antifibrotic and antihypertensive effects of LGF treatment on spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR)...
- Elastin haploinsufficiency induces alternative aging processes in the aortaMylÃ¨ne Pezet
UniversitÃ© Joseph Fourier, UFR de Biologie, Grenoble, France
Rejuvenation Res 11:97-112. 2008..Our results suggest that early elastin expression and organization modify arterial aging through their impact on both vascular cell physiology and structure and mechanics of blood vessels...
- Decreased endopelvic fascia elastin content in uterine prolapseJohn Klutke
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, USC Keck School of Medicine, Women s and Children s Hospital, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:111-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine elastin content and RNA expression of related enzymes of elastin synthesis in uterosacral ligament biopsies from women with severe prolapse, and controls with normal pelvic support...
- Antibodies to elastin peptides in sera of Belgian Draught horses with chronic progressive lymphoedemaL Van Brantegem
Laboratory of Pathology, Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium
Equine Vet J 39:418-21. 2007..Clinical signs slowly progress and result in severe disfigurement of the limbs. Ideally, supportive treatment should be started early in the disease process. However early diagnosis and monitoring progression of CPL is still a challenge...
- Increased degradation of extracellular matrix structures of lacrimal glands implicated in the pathogenesis of Sjögren's syndromeKatja Schenke-Layland
Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles CA 90095 1760, USA
Matrix Biol 27:53-66. 2008..Biochemical testing demonstrated a significant loss of collagen, glycosaminoglycans and desmosine in NOD LGs when compared to healthy BALB/c LGs...
- Biochemical characterization of collagen in alveolar mucosa and attached gingiva of pigMichitsuna Katafuchi
Dental Research Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Connect Tissue Res 48:85-92. 2007..These results indicate that alveolar mucosa is a fibrillar collagen-rich tissue and, in comparison to gingival tissue, re-models slowly...
- Effect of an MMP-9/MMP-12 inhibitor on smoke-induced emphysema and airway remodelling in guinea pigsAndrew Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Thorax 62:706-13. 2007..The role of MMPs in smoke-induced small airway remodelling is unknown...
- Quantitative and comparative studies of the vocal fold extracellular matrix. I: Elastic fibers and hyaluronic acidMariah S Hahn
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:156-64. 2006..This study examines the elastic fiber and hyaluronic acid (HA) content of the midmembranous vocal fold laminae propriae (LPs) of humans, dogs, pigs, and ferrets...
- Targeted disruption of fibulin-4 abolishes elastogenesis and causes perinatal lethality in micePrecious J McLaughlin
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85711, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:1700-9. 2006..b>Desmosine analysis indicated that elastin cross-links in fibulin-4-/- tissues were largely diminished...
- Fibrillins 1 and 2 perform partially overlapping functions during aortic developmentLuca Carta
Laboratory of Genetics and Organogenesis, Hospital for Special Surgery, The Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Biol Chem 281:8016-23. 2006....
- Benefits of concurrent delivery of hyaluronan and IGF-1 cues to regeneration of crosslinked elastin matrices by adult rat vascular cellsChandrasekhar R Kothapalli
Clemson University, Medical University of South Carolina Bioengineering Program, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2:106-16. 2008..The present outcomes may be used to restore elastin matrix homeostasis in de-elasticized vessels and tissue-engineered constructs that may be grafted as a substitute...
- Acute cigarette smoke-induced connective tissue breakdown requires both neutrophils and macrophage metalloelastase in miceAndrew Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 27:368-74. 2002..In this study we exposed mice to cigarette smoke and examined lavage PMN, macrophages (MAC), desmosine (DES, a measure of elastin breakdown) and hydroxyproline (HP, a measure of collagen breakdown) 24 h afterwards...
- Functional importance of connective tissue repair during the development of experimental abdominal aortic aneurysmsM D Huffman
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Surgery 128:429-38. 2000..The purpose of this study was to assess the functional importance of connective tissue repair during experimental aneurysmal degeneration...
- Functional domains on elastin and microfibril-associated glycoprotein involved in elastic fibre assemblyP Brown-Augsburger
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Biochem J 318:149-55. 1996..Further, the results suggest that the interaction between tropoelastin and microfibrils might be mediated by a domain involving the N-terminal half of MAGP...
- Role of neutrophils and alpha1-antitrypsin in coal- and silica-induced connective tissue breakdownK Zay
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 2B5
Am J Physiol 276:L269-79. 1999Mineral dusts produce emphysema, and administration of dust to rats results in the rapid appearance of desmosine and hydroxyproline in lavage fluid, confirming that dusts directly induce connective tissue breakdown...
- Age- and gender-related changes in ligament componentsT Osakabe
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Hoshi College of Pharmacy, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Clin Biochem 38:527-32. 2001..It is suggested that elastin and collagen metabolism in ligaments changes both with age and according to gender...
- Maternal and postnatal vitamin D ingestion influences rat aortic structure, function and elastin contentPaul Norman
University Department of Surgery, Fremantle Hospital, P O Box 480, Western Australia 6959, Fremantle, Australia
Cardiovasc Res 55:369-74. 2002..Here we have investigated, in rats, the hypothesis that increased exposure to vitamin D during gestation and in the postnatal period alters aortic elastin content and aortic function...
- Distribution of the elastic fiber and associated proteins in flexor tendon reflects functionTimothy M Ritty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Anat Rec 268:430-40. 2002..Biochemical analysis of desmosine content, an elastin-specific cross-link, demonstrated the presence of elastin in each region, and this was ..
- Lysyl oxidase is required for vascular and diaphragmatic development in miceIan K Hornstra
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 278:14387-93. 2003..LOX activity, as assessed by desmosine (elastin cross-link) analysis, was reduced by approximately 60% in the aorta and lungs of homozygous mutant ..
- Morphological and biochemical studies of the elastic fibres in the craniomandibular joint articular disc of the tight-skin mouseN L O'Dell
Department of Oral Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912 1122, USA
Arch Oral Biol 41:431-7. 1996..articular discs and samples of lung tissue were excised from other mice and subjected to a radioimmunoassay for desmosine in order to estimate the amounts of elastin in these tissues; the amount of elastin was significantly reduced in ..
- Lysyl hydroxylase-2b directs collagen cross-linking pathways in MC3T3-E1 cellsSuchaya Pornprasertsuk
Dental Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7455, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:1349-55. 2004..The data indicate that LH2b directs collagen cross-linking pathways through its action on telopeptidyl lysine residues...
- Enhancing mechanical properties of tissue-engineered constructs via lysyl oxidase crosslinking activityWafa M Elbjeirami
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, 6100 Main Street, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 66:513-21. 2003..using a fluorescent enzyme substrate assay and by observation of the presence of increased levels of desmosine, a product of LO crosslinking, in the ECM...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha is central to acute cigarette smoke-induced inflammation and connective tissue breakdownAndrew Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:849-54. 2002..At 24 hours, control mice demonstrated increases in lavage neutrophils, macrophages, desmosine (a measure of elastin breakdown), and hydroxyproline (a measure of collagen breakdown), whereas TNF-alpha-RKO ..
- Determination of desmosine in bronchoalveolar lavage fluids by time-resolved fluoroimmunoassayTakaji Sato
Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Takatsuki 569 1094, Japan
Clin Chim Acta 387:113-9. 2008Urinary excretion of desmosine has been reported to be increased in patients with pulmonary fibrosis; however, several investigators have pointed out that measuring urinary desmosine is not a very useful indicator of lung wall ..
- Is neutrophil elastase the missing link between emphysema and fibrosis? Evidence from two mouse modelsMonica Lucattelli
Department of Physiopathology and Experimental Medicine, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
Respir Res 6:83. 2005..In this study we investigate in experimental animal models of emphysema and fibrosis whether neutrophil elastase may constitute a pathogenic link between these two pathologies...
- The relationship of clinical and inflammatory markers to outcome in stable patients with cystic fibrosisDamian G Downey
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Belfast City Hospital and Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:216-20. 2007..interleukin-8 (IL-8), TNF-receptor 1 (sTNFr), and myeloperoxidase (MPO) were measured in sputum and urinary desmosine concentration determined. Patients with Bc had significantly higher levels of pNEC, 332 +/- 91...
- Effects of systemic indomethacin, meclizine, and BW755C on chronic ultraviolet B-induced effects in hairless mouse skinI E Kochevar
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
J Invest Dermatol 100:186-93. 1993..The elastin, glycosaminoglycan and collagen content of the skin were determined by measuring the desmosine, uronic acid, and hydroxyproline levels, respectively...
- Association between markers of emphysema and more severe chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseP Boschetto
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Ferrara, Italy
Thorax 61:1037-42. 2006....
- Hemodynamic and biochemical characteristics of the aorta in the WKY, SHR, WKHT, and WKHA rat strainsM A Ricci
Department of Surgery, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 800:121-30. 1996..and collagen in the aortic tissue was determined by measuring leucine (leu), hydroxyproline (HP/leu), and desmosine (DES/leu)...
- Effect of L-fucose and fucose-rich polysaccharides on elastin biosynthesis, in vivo and in vitroL Robert
Laboratoire Universitaire de Recherche en Ophtalmologie, Faculté de Médecine Broussais Hôtel Dieu, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Biomed Pharmacother 58:123-8. 2004..No increase was found however of desmosine-isodesmosine in skin explant cultures after 72 h of incubation...
- Mechanism for covalent binding of rofecoxib to elastin of rat aortaMasataka Oitate
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics Research Laboratories, Sankyo Co, Ltd, 1 2 58, Hiromachi, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 140 8710, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 320:1195-203. 2007..e., desmosine and isodesmosine, and causing the degradation of the elastic fibers.
- [Regulation of elastin synthesis]M P Jacob
INSERM U460, UFR de Medecine Xavier Bichat, 16, rue Henri Huchard, 75870 Paris
J Soc Biol 195:131-41. 2001..After the synthesis of cross-links-lysinonorleucine, desmosine, isodesmosine-, elastin becomes insoluble and elastic. The elastogenic pathway is regulated at many levels...
- quantitative determination of collagen cross-linksNicholas C Avery
University of Bristol, Langford, Bristol, UK
Methods Mol Biol 522:103-21. 2009..by cross-linking based on oxidative deamination of most of its lysine residues to yield tetravalent cross-links, desmosine and iso-desmosine, the determination of which is also described...
- Population differences in elastin maturation in optic nerve head tissue and astrocytesZsolt Urban
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3209-15. 2007....
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin and a broad spectrum metalloprotease inhibitor, RS113456, have similar acute anti-inflammatory effectsA Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Lab Invest 81:1119-31. 2001..By 24 hours, PMN influx and connective tissue breakdown measured as lavage desmosine or hydroxyproline were still at, or close to, control levels after antiprotease treatment, and increases in NF-..
- 3-hydroxypyridine chromophores are endogenous sensitizers of photooxidative stress in human skin cellsGeorg T Wondrak
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Biol Chem 279:30009-20. 2004..relationship study of skin cell photosensitization by endogenous pyridinium derivatives (pyridinoline, desmosine, pyridoxine, pyridoxamine, pyridoxal, pyridoxal-5'-phosphate) and various synthetic hydroxypyridine isomers ..
- Impact of delivery mode of hyaluronan oligomers on elastogenic responses of adult vascular smooth muscle cellsB Joddar
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, USA
Biomaterials 28:3918-27. 2007..however, surface-tethered HA4 stimulated SMCs to generate significantly greater amounts of elastin-stabilizing desmosine crosslinks, which partially accounts for the greater resistance to enzymatic breakdown of elastin derived from ..
- Transforming growth factor beta 1 and hyaluronan oligomers synergistically enhance elastin matrix regeneration by vascular smooth muscle cellsChandrasekhar R Kothapalli
Clemson University Medical University of South Carolina Bioengineering Program, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 15:501-11. 2009..The density of desmosine crosslinks within the elastin matrix was itself attenuated, although the cues together modestly increased ..
- Alteration of cross-linking amino acids of elastin in human aorta in association with dissecting aneurysm: analysis using high performance liquid chromatographyM Watanabe
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 187:291-303. 1999..SEP-PAK silica-gel column and Fe3+/activated charcoal column pretreatment were carried out for analysis of desmosine (DES), isodesmosine (ISDES), neodesmosine (NEO), oxodesmosine (OXO) and isooxodesmosine (ISOXO), and for ..
- Neuraminidase-1 is required for the normal assembly of elastic fibersBarry Starcher
Deptartment of Biochemistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, TX 75708, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L637-47. 2008..The concentration of elastin, as measure by desmosine levels, was significantly reduced in the aorta of Neu1-null mice...
- Elastin cross-linking in the skin from patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisS Ono
Department of Neurology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Ichihara Hospital, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 57:94-6. 1994Two cross-links unique to elastin, desmosine and isodesmosine were measured and compared in skin tissue (left upper arm) from 10 patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and from seven age-matched controls...
- alpha-1-Antitrypsin ameliorates cigarette smoke-induced emphysema in the mouseAndrew Churg
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:199-207. 2003..inhibitory capacity and abolished smoke-induced elevations in lavage neutrophils and matrix breakdown products (desmosine and hydroxyproline) measured from 2 to 30 days of smoke exposure...
- DANCE/fibulin-5 promotes elastic fiber formation in a tropoelastin isoform-dependent mannerRisa Nonaka
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Hoshi University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Biochem 42:713-21. 2009....
- Sub-cellular damage by copper in the cnidarian Zoanthus robustusA Grant
School of Biological Sciences, Department of Pathology, University of Sydney, 2006, Australia
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 152:256-62. 2010..for elastin, was also twice as thick and tough to cut, but exposure to copper did not change the total amount of desmosine which is found only in elastin...
- Elastin expression in very severe human COPDG Deslee
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Eur Respir J 34:324-31. 2009..01), but elastic fibre content was not increased per lung volume, and desmosine content was not increased...
- Studies on the evolution of elastin--I. Phylogenetic distributionH Sage
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Comp Biochem Physiol B 64:313-27. 1979..elastin by (a) chemical purification and amino acid analysis, (b) presence of the cross-linking amino acids desmosine and isodesmosine and (c) histological staining. 2...
- Dietary lutein/zeaxanthin partially reduces photoaging and photocarcinogenesis in chronically UVB-irradiated Skh-1 hairless miceS Astner
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 20:283-91. 2007..For photoaging experiments, skin fold thickness, suprapapillary plate thickness, mast cell counts and dermal desmosine content were evaluated...
- mRNA expression of lysyl oxidase and matrix metalloproteinase-12 in mouse skinYurika Mizobe
Laboratory of Advanced Animal and Marine Bioresources, Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuaka shi, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:3067-70. 2008Elastic fibers in the dermis play an important role in skin elasticity. The desmosine crosslinking structure constructed of lysyl oxidase (LOX) in elastic fibers contributes to elasticity, while elastic fibers are primarily degraded by ..
- The elastin-like protein matrix of lamprey branchial cartilage is cross-linked by lysyl pyridinolineR J Fernandes
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261:635-40. 1999..Both forms of pyridinoline cross-link were absent from annular cartilage and desmosine cross-links, which are characteristic of vertebrate elastin, were not detected in either form of lamprey ..
- Characterization and validation of an isotope-dilution LC-MS/MS method for quantification of total desmosine and isodesmosine in plasma and serumOsama Albarbarawi
Translational Medicine Research Collaboration, TMRC Laboratory, James Arrott Drive, Dundee, DD1 9SY, UK
Bioanalysis 5:1991-2001. 2013b>Desmosine/isodesmosine (DES/IDS) is a promising biomarker for estimating activity of elastin degradation. RESULTS/METHODOLOGY: A stable isotope dilution LC-MS/MS method for measuring serum/plasma DES/IDS was developed and validated...
- Erectile dysfunction in the type II diabetic db/db mouse: impaired venoocclusion with altered cavernosal vasoreactivity and matrixIan P Luttrell
Department of Urology, University of Washington, 300 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2204-11. 2008..Collagen and elastin content were evaluated by quantification of hydroxyproline and desmosine, respectively, as well as by quantitative PCR and histological analysis of isolated cavernosum...
- Separation and measurement of desmosine and isodesmosine in vascular tissue hydrolysates by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography with a mixed micelle systemJing Huang
Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, China
J Chromatogr A 1175:294-6. 2007..capillary chromatography (MEKC) method with a mixed micelle system for separation and measurement of desmosine (DES) and isodesmosine (IDES) in vascular tissue hydrolysates is described...
- Pulmonary air-space enlargement induced by intratracheal instillment of hyaluronidase and concomitant exposure to 60% oxygenJ O Cantor
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
Exp Lung Res 19:177-92. 1993..responsible for these results are unclear, the marked increase in radiolabeling of lung elastin cross-links (desmosine and isodesmosine) in animals receiving both hyaluronidase and 60% oxygen (429 vs...
- Analysis of dermal elastic fibers in the absence of fibulin-5 reveals potential roles for fibulin-5 in elastic fiber assemblyJiwon Choi
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Matrix Biol 28:211-20. 2009..b>Desmosine analysis showed significantly lower levels of mature cross-linked elastin in the Fbln5(-/-) dermis, however, ..
- Desmosine-inspired cross-linkers for hyaluronan hydrogelsValentin Hagel
Department of New Materials and Biosystems, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems Heisenbergstr 3, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Sci Rep 3:2043. 2013We designed bioinspired cross-linkers based on desmosine, the cross-linker in natural elastin, to prepare hydrogels with thiolated hyaluronic acid...
- Utility of hyaluronan oligomers and transforming growth factor-beta1 factors for elastic matrix regeneration by aneurysmal rat aortic smooth muscle cellsChandrasekhar R Kothapalli
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 15:3247-60. 2009..higher amounts of collagen/elastin protein synthesis and crosslinking, by upregulating lysyl oxidase and desmosine. Compared to their individual contributions, the factors together were highly effective in minimizing the ..
- Chronic hypoxic pulmonary hypertension in rats and increased elastolytic activityK Maruyama
Department of Cardiology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol 261:H1716-26. 1991..is modulated by degradation of elastin or other elastase-susceptible extracellular matrix proteins, we assessed desmosine excretion and ultrastructural alterations in elastin as well as in type IV collagen, fibronectin, and laminin...
- Roflumilast fully prevents emphysema in mice chronically exposed to cigarette smokePiero A Martorana
Department of Physiopathology and Experimental Medicine, University of Siena, Via Aldo Moro 6, I 53100 Siena, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:848-53. 2005..There is a need for new agents capable of suppressing the inflammatory response in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Safety of the NiTi EndoCAR following chemoradiation in a porcine modelJonathan Chun
Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA
Surg Innov 18:394-9. 2011..To assess the safety of anastomosis ring (EndoCAR) following chemoradiation...
- Gelatinase B is required for alveolar bronchiolization after intratracheal bleomycinT Betsuyaku
Departments of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Pathol 157:525-35. 2000..However, gelatinase B is required for alveolar bronchiolization, perhaps by facilitating migration of Clara cells and other bronchiolar cells into the regions of alveolar injury...
- SKIN REACTION TO LIGHT--NORMAL, PHOTOSENSITIVITY, CANCERMADHUKAR PATHAK; Fiscal Year: 1992..of Type I and III collagen, cross-links and collagen, changes in 4-OH-prolyl-4'- hydroxylase, lysyl hydroxylase, desmosine, isodesmosine, and proteoglycans and evaluation of the role of certain free radical scavengers and antioxidants (..
- Noninvasive biomarkers of proteolytic activity in CFScott Sagel; Fiscal Year: 2007..secretory leukoprotease inhibitor, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase), and elastin breakdown products (desmosine, isodesmosine) in clinical specimens (induced sputum, urine) from CF children, during times of clinical ..
- MOLECULAR RESPONSE OF THE BLADDER TO OBSTRUCTIONEdward Macarak; Fiscal Year: 2002..longitudinal analyses of extracellular matrix steady state mRNA and protein expression (amino acid analyses, desmosine analysis ELISA) to evaluate the kinetics of activation or repression, histological and immunohistochemical ..
- Biomarkers in sputum in COPDDavid Broide; Fiscal Year: 2005..IL-8, TNF), fibrosis (TGF- beta, PGDF, FGF), metalloproteases (MMP-1, MMP-9, MMP-12, TIMP), elastin degradation (desmosine in urine) as well as an alternative approach using both proteomic analysis of sputum and bronchoalveolar lavage, ..
- ELASTIC FIBER STRUCTURE, FIBROGENESIS DISEASEJUDITH FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 1993..extracellular deposition of tropoelastin molecules to form insoluble elastin will be measured by quantitating desmosine and aldol condensation crosslinks...
- Biomarkers of oxidative stress and inflammation in COPDWilliam MacNee; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such information will allow the identification of novel biomarkers and the fingerprints themselves may represent a mechanism to stratify COPD patients and allow the assessment of novel therapies. ..
- CELL DIVERSITY IN PULMONARY VASCULAR DEVELOPMENTRobert Mecham; Fiscal Year: 2003..The final specific aim will determine how altered expression of elastic fiber proteins contributes to changes in compliance of pulmonary vessels in knockout transgenic mice. ..
- LYSYL OXIDASES IN MATRIX DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCEIan Hornstra; Fiscal Year: 2002..In the unlikely event that no significant phenotype is observed or can not be induced upon injury challenge, a double "knockout" with both LOs would be constructed in the future. ..
- Aerosolized hyaluronic acid as a treatment for COPDGerard Turino; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study will also examine desmosine and isodesmosine content of urine, plasma and sputum...
- MAGP: A Matricellular Protein with Multiple FunctionsRobert Mecham; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. To characterize the promoter sequences of the MAGP1 gene and to identify the critical regions for tissue expression and regulation during cell differentiation. ..
- Collagen type II/IX/XI heteropolymer assemblyRUSSELL FERNANDES; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functional Repair of Elastin with Recomb. TropoelastinPhillip Stone; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aim 3. To determine the mechanical, biochemical and ultrastructural properties of rTE mediated regeneration of elastase-treated matrices in the presence or absence of endogenous tropoelastin production. ..