phages with long non-contractile tails
Alias: Siphoviridae, Styloviridae
Publications197 found, 100 shown here
- Characterization of LytA-like N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidases from two new Streptococcus mitis bacteriophages provides insights into the properties of the major pneumococcal autolysinPatricia Romero
Departmento de Microbiologia Molecular, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 186:8229-39. 2004Two new temperate bacteriophages exhibiting a Myoviridae (phiB6) and a Siphoviridae (phiHER) morphology have been isolated from Streptococcus mitis strains B6 and HER 1055, respectively, and partially characterized...
- Bacteriophage diversity in the North SeaA Wichels
Biologische Anstalt Helgoland, D 27498 Helgoland, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4128-33. 1998..of morphology, 11 phages were assigned to the virus family Myoviridae, 7 phages were assigned to the family Siphoviridae, and 4 phages were assigned to the family Podoviridae...
- Comparative genome analysis of Listeria bacteriophages reveals extensive mosaicism, programmed translational frameshifting, and a novel prophage insertion siteJulia Dorscht
Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Zentralinstitut für Ernährungs und Lebensmittelforschung, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:7206-15. 2009..Phages A006, A500, B025, P35, and P40 are members of the Siphoviridae and contain double-stranded DNA genomes of between 35.6 kb and 42.7 kb...
- Phim46.1, the main Streptococcus pyogenes element carrying mef(A) and tet(O) genesAndrea Brenciani
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Microbiology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, Ancona 60020, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:221-9. 2010..1 revealed phage particles with the distinctive icosahedral head and tail morphology of the Siphoviridae family. The chromosome integration site was within a 23S rRNA uracil methyltransferase gene...
- [Isolation and characterization of Serratia marcescens phage]Long Yu
State Research Center for Bio protective Equipment and Engineering Technology, State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100071, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 48:498-502. 2008..To isolate the bacteriophage of Serratia marcescens (8039) from sewage, and to study on its biological characteristics...
- Flow cytometric detection of virusesC P Brussaard
Department of Microbiology, University of Bergen, Norway
J Virol Methods 85:175-82. 2000..Baculoviridae, Herpesviridae, Myoviridae, Phycodnaviridae, Picornaviridae, Podoviridae, Retroviridae, and Siphoviridae) were stained using a variety of highly fluorescent nucleic acid specific dyes (SYBR Green I, SYBR Green II, ..
- Remarkable morphological diversity of viruses and virus-like particles in hot terrestrial environmentsR Rachel
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie und Archaeenzentrum, Universitat Regensburg, Germany
Arch Virol 147:2419-29. 2002..Two virus types resembled head-and-tail bacteriophages from the families Siphoviridae and Podoviridae, and constituted the first observation of these viruses in a hydrothermal environment...
- The influence of the mode of administration in the dissemination of three coliphages in chickensA Oliveira
Research and Development Department, Controlvet, Segurança Alimentar S A, Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L 6, 3460 070 Tondela, Portugal
Poult Sci 88:728-33. 2009..10(7), and 10(8) plaque-forming units/mL suspensions of 3 lytic phages: phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae), and phi F61E (Myoviridae)...
- Bacteriophages induced from lysogenic root canal isolates of Enterococcus faecalisR H Stevens
Department of Endodontology, Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry, 3223 NorthBroad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 24:278-84. 2009..In this study, we sought to detect, isolate, and describe temperate bacteriophages harbored by Enterococcus faecalis strains isolated from endodontic infections...
- Cultivation-based assessment of lysogeny among soil bacteriaKurt E Williamson
Environmental Genomics Group, J Craig Venter Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Microb Ecol 56:437-47. 2008..Morphological analysis revealed that four of the lysogens produced lambda-like Siphoviridae particles, whereas two produced Myoviridae particles...
- Morphology, genome sequence, and structural proteome of type phage P335 from Lactococcus lactisSimon J Labrie
Department of Food Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4636-44. 2008Lactococcus lactis phage P335 is a virulent type phage for the species that bears its name and belongs to the Siphoviridae family. Morphologically, P335 resembled the L...
- Characterization of bacteriophages used in the Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis phage-typing schemeN De Lappe
National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Republic of Ireland
J Med Microbiol 58:86-93. 2009..The 16 phages comprise three morphotypes, Podoviridae (SETP1, 8, 10, 14, 15 and 16), Siphoviridae (SETP3, 5, 7, 11, 12 and 13) and Myoviridae (SETP2, 4, 6 and 9)...
- Identification of tail genes in the temperate phage 16-3 of Sinorhizobium meliloti 41Veronika Deák
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Pecs, H 7601 Pecs, Hungary
J Bacteriol 192:1617-23. 2010..showed that phage 16-3 possesses an icosahedral head and a long, noncontractile tail characteristic of the Siphoviridae. By using a lysogenic S...
- Morphology and general characteristics of bacteriophages infectious to Robinia pseudoacacia mesorhizobiaAnna Turska-Szewczuk
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, 19 Akademicka St, 20 033 Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 61:315-21. 2010..Mlo1, with its elongated hexagonal head and a long flexible tail represented subgroup B2 bacteriophages, the Siphoviridae family...
- Isolation and characterization of a virulent bacteriophage AB1 of Acinetobacter baumanniiHongjiang Yang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Microbiology, Ministry of Education, PO Box 08, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, TEDA, Tianjin 300457, PR China
BMC Microbiol 10:131. 2010..In this study, we described the isolation and characterization of one virulent bacteriophage AB1 capable of specifically infecting A. baumannii...
- Isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophagesM X Yu
Promega Corporation, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Arch Virol 151:663-79. 2006..S.A. The phages belonged to the Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, Tectiviridae, and Inoviridae families. Over 50% of isolates were isometric or filamentous...
- Comparative genomics and transcriptional analysis of prophages identified in the genomes of Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus salivarius, and Lactobacillus caseiMarco Ventura
Department of Genetics, Anthropology and Evolution, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:3130-46. 2006..revealed that LgaI, Lca1, Sal1, and Sal2 prophages belong to the group of Sfi11-like pac site and cos site Siphoviridae, respectively...
- FepA- and TonB-dependent bacteriophage H8: receptor binding and genomic sequenceWolfgang Rabsch
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma, 620 Parrington Oval, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Bacteriol 189:5658-74. 2007..Its morphology and genomic structure closely resemble those of bacteriophage T5 in the family Siphoviridae. H8 infected S...
- Origins of the Xylella fastidiosa prophage-like regions and their impact in genome differentiationAlessandro de Mello Varani
Genome and Transposable Elements Laboratory GaTE Lab, Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
PLoS ONE 3:e4059. 2008..fastidiosa prophage-like regions are related to structural phage genes belonging to the Siphoviridae family...
- [Virus and prophages in aquatic ecosystems]Télesphore Sime-Ngando
Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere, France
Can J Microbiol 55:95-109. 2009..the majority being represented by phages without tails and by tailed-phages such as members of the family Siphoviridae. Both types of phages have a small capsid and a small genome size, which is considered an evolutionary ..
- Comparative genomics of phages and prophages in lactic acid bacteriaFrank Desiere
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, Vers chez les Blanc, CH Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 82:73-91. 2002..An Sfi21-like and an Sfi11-like genus of Siphoviridae is proposed...
- Molecular characterization of Vibrio harveyi bacteriophages isolated from aquaculture environments along the coast of IndiaMockshanath M Shivu
Department of Fishery Microbiology, Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, College of Fisheries, Mangalore 575 002, India
Environ Microbiol 9:322-31. 2007..Morphologically, six phages were grouped under family Siphoviridae and one under Myoviridae...
- phiSITE: database of gene regulation in bacteriophagesLubos Klucar
Institute of Molecular Biology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 21, 84551 Bratislava, Slovakia
Nucleic Acids Res 38:D366-70. 2010..elements (promoters, operators, terminators and attachment sites) from 32 bacteriophages belonging to Siphoviridae, Myoviridae and Podoviridae families...
- The use of degenerate-primed random amplification of polymorphic DNA (DP-RAPD) for strain-typing and inferring the genetic similarity among closely related virusesAndré M Comeau
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z4
J Virol Methods 118:95-100. 2004..As well, marine vibriophage from the families Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, and Podoviridae showed high diversity and were distinct from coliphage and cyanophage...
- Characterization of phages virulent for Sarothamnus scoparius bradyrhizobiaWanda Małek
Department of General Microbiology, M Curie Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 51:244-9. 2005..New phages were separated into two morphological families: Siphoviridae with long, noncontractile tails (PhiDl, PhiTl) and Myoviridae with long, contractile tails (PhiCYT21, PhiOS6)...
- An examination of the bacteriophages and bacteria of the Namib desertEric Prestel
Laboratoire de Génomique et Biodiversité Microbienne des Biofilms, Universite Paris Sud 11, Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, CNRS UMR 8621, Batiment 409, 91405 Orsay, France
J Microbiol 46:364-72. 2008..microscopy revealed 20 seemingly different phage-like morphologies and sizes belonging to the Myoviridae and Siphoviridae families of tailed phages...
- Genomic characterization of the intron-containing T7-like phage phiL7 of Xanthomonas campestrisChia Ni Lee
Institute of Molecular Biology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7828-37. 2009The lytic phage phiL7, which morphologically belongs to the Siphoviridae family, infects Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris...
- Morphological and genetic diversity of temperate phages in Clostridium difficileLouis Charles Fortier
Departement de Microbiologie et d Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:7358-66. 2007..capsids and long contractile tails (Myoviridae family), as well as five phages with long noncontractile tails (Siphoviridae family)...
- Isolation and characterization of an extremely long tail Thermus bacteriophage from Tengchong hot springs in ChinaLianbing Lin
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology Kunming, China
J Basic Microbiol 50:452-6. 2010..In this research, a Thermus bacteriophage named TSP4 (Thermus Siphoviridae phage) was isolated from Tengchong hot springs in China, and characteristics of morphology, temperature for ..
- Isolation and characterization of bacteriophages infecting Staphylococcus epidermidisDiana Gutiérrez
Instituto de Productos Lacteos de Asturias IPLA CSIC, Apdo 85, 33300, Villaviciosa, Asturias, Spain
Curr Microbiol 61:601-8. 2010..Transmission electron microscopy revealed that the phages were of similar size and belonged to the Siphoviridae family. Phage phi-IPLA7 had the broadest host range infecting 21 out of 65 S. epidermidis isolates...
- Characterization of a Leuconostoc gelidum bacteriophage from porkG Gordon Greer
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe Research Centre, 6000 C and E Trail, Lacombe, Alberta, Canada T4L IWl
Int J Food Microbiol 114:370-5. 2007..Electron microscopic observation revealed that phage ggg was a member of the Siphoviridae. The host range was limited to L. gelidum isolates from meats...
- Whole-genome sequencing and gene mapping of a newly isolated lytic enterococcal bacteriophage EFRM31Ramin Mazaheri Nezhad Fard
Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Arch Virol 155:1887-91. 2010..The complete bacteriophage genome was determined by shotgun sequencing. EFRM31 belongs to the family Siphoviridae (order Caudovirales) and has a circular double-stranded DNA genome...
- Isolation of a novel bacteriophage specific for the periodontal pathogen Fusobacterium nucleatumPamela Machuca
Laboratorio de Microbiologia y Biotecnologia Oral, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Echaurren 237, Santiago, Chile
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:7243-50. 2010..The morphological features and the genetic characteristics suggest that FnpΦ02 is part of the Siphoviridae family...
- Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophages isolated from Kefir grains: phenotypic and molecular characterizationGraciela De Antoni
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos, Universidad National de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
J Dairy Res 77:7-12. 2010..Both phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family (morphotype B1) and showed similar dimensions for head and tail sizes...
- Diversity of prophages in dominant Staphylococcus aureus clonal lineagesChristiane Goerke
Institut für Med Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 6, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:3462-8. 2009..Here we established a classification scheme for staphylococcal prophages of the major Siphoviridae family based on integrase gene polymorphism...
- Complete genomic sequence of bacteriophage phiEcoM-GJ1, a novel phage that has myovirus morphology and a podovirus-like RNA polymeraseNidham Jamalludeen
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:516-25. 2008..nine with proteins of phages of the family Podoviridae, and six with proteins of phages of the family Siphoviridae. ORF 1 encoded a T7-like single-subunit RNA polymerase and was preceded by a putative E...
- Characterization of 1706, a virulent phage from Lactococcus lactis with similarities to prophages from other FirmicutesJosiane E Garneau
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Virology 373:298-309. 2008..isolated in 1995 from a failed cheese production in France, represents a new lactococcal phage species of the Siphoviridae family. This phage has a burst size of 160 and a latent period of 85 min...
- [Isolation and characterization of a Thermus bacteriophage lytic from Tengchong Rehai Hot Spring lytic]Wei Hong
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming 650224
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 50:322-7. 2010..Genus Thermus represents an ancient descendant within the domain of Bacteria. This research was focused on the isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophages from Tengchong Reihai hot spring...
- Characterization of a lytic Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage and molecular cloning of a lysin gene in Escherichia coliS S Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, College of Arts and Sciences, Yonsei University, Wonju, Kangwon Do, South Korea
Int J Food Microbiol 65:63-74. 2001..a non-contractile tail (260 nm long and 9-11 nm wide), indicating that it belongs to Bradley's group B or the Siphoviridae family according to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV). The bouyant density was 1...
- Detection and characterization of a lytic Pediococcus bacteriophage from the fermenting cucumber brineSung Sik Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 710, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:262-70. 2007..Overall appearance indicated that it belongs to the Siphoviridae family or Bradley's group B1, with a small isometric head and a flexible noncontractile tail with swollen base ..
- [Bacteriophage of Bacillus polymyxa BC153-29]D Ia Matseliukh
Mikrobiol Z 66:22-7. 2004..3 and 14.2 +/- 0.5 nm, respectively. The phage was related to Siphoviridae (B1) family...
- Isolation of the Bacteriophage DinoHI from Dichelobacter nodosus and its Interactions with other Integrated Genetic ElementsBrian F Cheetham
Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, 2351, Australia
Open Microbiol J 2:1-9. 2008..Treatment of D. nodosus strains with ultraviolet light resulted in the isolation of DinoHI, a member of the Siphoviridae and the first bacteriophage to be identified in D. nodosus...
- Wide variation in effectiveness of laboratory disinfectants against bacteriophagesD E Halfhide
Aerobiology Unit, DFAS, Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford House, Langford, North Somerset, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 47:608-12. 2008..The purpose of this study was to identify an effective disinfectant for the inactivation of the bacteriophages (phages) being used in our laboratory, as published studies on phage inactivation are far from unanimous in their conclusions...
- Bacteriophage induction versus vaginal homeostasis: role of H(2)O(2) in the selection of Lactobacillus defective prophagesRebeca Martín
University Institute of Biotechnology, University of Oviedo, Spain
Int Microbiol 12:131-6. 2009..activity was accompanied by the production of a bacteriophage subsequently identified as a member of the family Siphoviridae (isometric capsid and long non-contractile tail)...
- Lactococcal phage p2 ORF35-Sak3 is an ATPase involved in DNA recombination and AbiK mechanismErika Scaltriti
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR 6098 CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, Campus de Luminy, Case 932, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Mol Microbiol 80:102-16. 2011Virulent phages of the Siphoviridae family are responsible for milk fermentation failures worldwide. Here, we report the characterization of the product of the early expressed gene orf35 from Lactococcus lactis phage p2 (936 group)...
- The opening of the SPP1 bacteriophage tail, a prevalent mechanism in Gram-positive-infecting siphophagesAdeline Goulet
Centre de Biochimie Structurale, INSERM UMR 1054 CNRS UMR 5048 and Universités Montpellier I and II, 29 rue de Navacelles, Montpellier 34090, France
J Biol Chem 286:25397-405. 2011..the sequence conservation among Dit and the N-terminal region of Tal-like proteins in Gram-positive-infecting Siphoviridae, it also reveals the Tal opening mechanism as a hallmark of siphophages probably involved in the generation of ..
- Effect of the abortive infection mechanism and type III toxin/antitoxin system AbiQ on the lytic cycle of Lactococcus lactis phagesJulie E Samson
Departement de Biochimie, de microbiologie et de bio informatique, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Bacteriol 195:3947-56. 2013..While AbiQ was efficient against phages T4 (Myoviridae) and T5 (Siphoviridae), escape mutants of only phage 2 (Myoviridae) could be isolated...
- Complete genome sequence of marine bacterium Pseudoalteromonas phenolica bacteriophage TW1Hakdong Shin
Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 921, Korea
Arch Virol 159:159-62. 2014..bacteria Pseudoalteromonas phenolica using bacteriophage, a novel bacteriophage, TW1, belonging to the family Siphoviridae, was isolated, and its genome was completely sequenced and analyzed...
- Characterization of bacteriophages Cp1 and Cp2, the strain-typing agents for Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citriAbdelmonim Ali Ahmad
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Advanced Sciences of Matter, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 80:77-85. 2014..Morphologically, Cp1 belongs to the Siphoviridae. Genomic analysis revealed that its genome comprises 43,870-bp double-stranded DNA (dsDNA), with 10-bp 3'-..
- Insights into bacteriophage T5 structure from analysis of its morphogenesis genes and protein componentsYvan Zivanovic
Institut de Biochimie et Biophysique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Univ Paris Sud, UMR CNRS 8619, Orsay, France
J Virol 88:1162-74. 2014Bacteriophage T5 represents a large family of lytic Siphoviridae infecting Gram-negative bacteria...
- Isolation and characterization of numerous novel phages targeting diverse strains of the ubiquitous and opportunistic pathogen Achromobacter xylosoxidansJohannes Wittmann
Leibniz Institute DSMZ German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures, Department of Microorganisms, Braunschweig, Germany
PLoS ONE 9:e86935. 2014..microscopy revealed a broad diversity with different members of the order Caudovirales, including the families Siphoviridae, Myoviridae, and Podoviridae...
- Identification of bacteriophages for biocontrol of the kiwifruit canker phytopathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. actinidiaeRebekah A Frampton
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Appl Environ Microbiol 80:2216-28. 2014..based on morphology and genome size, which showed them to be representatives of Myoviridae, Podoviridae, and Siphoviridae. Twenty-one Myoviridae members have similar morphologies and genome sizes yet differ in restriction patterns, ..
- Leuconostoc bacteriophages from blue cheese manufacture: long-term survival, resistance to thermal treatments, high pressure homogenization and chemical biocides of industrial applicationSilvina A Pujato
Instituto de Lactología Industrial, Facultad de Ingenieria Quimica, Universidad Nacional del Litoral, Santiago del Estero 2829, 3000 Santa Fe, Argentina
Int J Food Microbiol 177:81-8. 2014..mesenteroides phages studied in the present work belonged to the Caudovirales order and Siphoviridae family...
- Differing populations of endemic bacteriophages in cattle shedding high and low numbers of Escherichia coli O157:H7 bacteria in fecesJ Hallewell
Department of Biological Sciences University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 80:3819-25. 2014..determined by transmission electron microscopy, T4- and O1-like phages of Myoviridae and T1-like phage of Siphoviridae were isolated...
- Complete genome sequence of a novel phage, vB_MoxS-ISF9, infecting methylotrophic Microbacterium: first report of a virulent Microbacterium phageIsaac Zamani
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Isfahan, Hezar Jereeb Street, 81746 73441, Isfahan, Iran
Arch Virol 159:2537-40. 2014..head of about 80 nm in diameter and a long non-contractile tail of about 240 nm, belongs to the family Siphoviridae. The vB_MoxS-ISF9 DNA was completely sequenced and found to be 59,254 bp in length, with a G+C content of 62...
- Characterization of Staphylococcus epidermidis phage vB_SepS_SEP9 - a unique member of the Siphoviridae familyLuís D R Melo
CEB Centre of Biological Engineering, LIBRO Laboratory of Research in Biofilms Rosário Oliveira, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Res Microbiol 165:679-85. 2014..The genome comprises 129 coding sequences (CDS), 46 of which have an assigned function and 59 are unique. Its unique morphology and genome led to the proposal of the establishment of a new Siphoviridae genus named "Sep9likevirus".
- Integration of genomic and proteomic analyses in the classification of the Siphoviridae familyEvelien M Adriaenssens
Centre for Microbial Ecology and Genomics, Genomics Research Institute, University of Pretoria, Lynnwood Road, Pretoria 0028, South Africa
Virology 477:144-54. 2015..Tree, CoreGenes) tools we have tackled the taxonomic status of members of the largest bacteriophage family, the Siphoviridae. In all over 400 phages were examined and we were able to propose 39 new genera, comprising 216 phage species, ..
- Diverse virulent pneumophages infect Streptococcus mitisSiham Ouennane
Departement de Biochimie, Microbiologie et Bio informatique, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 10:e0118807. 2015..In this study, the two virulent phages Cp-1 (Podoviridae) and Dp-1 (Siphoviridae), previously isolated from S. pneumoniae, were found to also infect S. mitis...
- Sewage as a rich source of phage study against Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAOReza Azizian
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran Student Research Committee, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Biologicals 43:238-41. 2015..TEM images revealed that the isolated phages were members of the Siphoviridae family...
- Cryo-EM structure of the bacteriophage T4 portal protein assembly at near-atomic resolutionLei Sun
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, 240S Martin Jischke Drive, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 2032, USA
Nat Commun 6:7548. 2015..Myoviridae T4 portal structure with the known portal structures of φ29, SPP1 and P22, representing Podo- and Siphoviridae, shows that the portal structure probably dates back to a time when self-replicating microorganisms were being ..
- Isolation and Characterization of Phages Infecting Bacillus subtilisAnna Krasowska
Department of Biotransformation, Faculty of Biotechnology, University of Wroclaw, Fryderyka Joliot Curie 14a, 50 383 Wroclaw, Poland
Biomed Res Int 2015:179597. 2015..latent time, and phage burst size was performed on three phages of the Myoviridae family and one phage of the Siphoviridae family which infected Bacillus subtilis strains...
- Isolation of Dickeya dadantii strains from potato disease and biocontrol by their bacteriophagesAbbas Soleimani-Delfan
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Isfahan, Islamic Republic of Iran, Iran
Braz J Microbiol 46:791-7. 2015..On the basis of morphotypes, the isolated bacteriophages were identified as members of the Myoviridae and Siphoviridae families and could inhibit the growth of antibiotic resistant D. dadantii strains in culture medium...
- Isolation and Comparative Genomic Analysis of T1-Like Shigella Bacteriophage pSf-2Jin Woo Jun
College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 742, South Korea
Curr Microbiol 72:235-41. 2016..emphasizes that alternatives to conventional antibiotics are needed. Siphoviridae bacteriophage (phage), pSf-2, infecting S...
- Comparative genomics and functional analysis of the 936 group of lactococcal Siphoviridae phagesJames Murphy
School of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Sci Rep 6:21345. 2016....
- Structure of the host-recognition device of Staphylococcus aureus phage ϕ11Cengiz Koç
Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry, University of Tubingen, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Sci Rep 6:27581. 2016..This assembly is conserved among most glycan-recognizing Siphoviridae, and the RBP orientation would allow host adhesion and infection without an activation step.
- The First Siphoviridae Family Bacteriophages Infecting Bordetella bronchiseptica Isolated from EnvironmentAleksandra Petrovic
Faculty of Sciences, Department of Biology and Ecology, University of Novi Sad, Trg Dositeja Obradovica 3, 21000, Novi Sad, Serbia
Microb Ecol 73:368-377. 2017..0 % to 41.7 % of the strains. The selected phages showed similar morphology (Siphoviridae, morphotype B2), but variation of RFLP patterns and efficacy of plating on various strains...
- Identification and molecular characterization of bacteriophage phiAxp-2 of Achromobacter xylosoxidansErna Li
College of Food Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, 510642, China
Sci Rep 6:34300. 2016..Its morphology showed that phiAxp-2 belongs to the family Siphoviridae. Microbiological characterization demonstrated that pH 7 is most suitable for phage phiAxp-2; its titer ..
- Genome Sequence of vB_AbaS_TRS1, a Viable Prophage Isolated from Acinetobacter baumannii Strain A118Dann Turner
Centre for Research in Biosciences, Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences, University of the West of England, Bristol, United Kingdom
Genome Announc 4:. 2016..Phage TRS1 belongs to the Siphoviridae family of bacteriophages and encapsulates a 40,749-bp genome encoding 70 coding sequences and a single tRNA.
- Genome Analysis of Clostridium difficile PCR Ribotype 014 Lineage in Australian Pigs and Humans Reveals a Diverse Genetic Repertoire and Signatures of Long-Range Interspecies TransmissionDaniel R Knight
Microbiology and Immunology, School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Western Australia Nedlands, WA, Australia
Front Microbiol 7:2138. 2016..Numerous clinically important prophages (Siphoviridae and Myoviridae) were identified as well as an uncommon accessory gene regulator locus (agr3)...
- Characterization of six Leuconostoc fallax bacteriophages isolated from an industrial sauerkraut fermentationRodolphe Barrangou
Southeast Dairy Foods Research Center, Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:5452-8. 2002..Morphologically, three of the phages were assigned to the family Siphoviridae, and the three others were assigned to the family Myovidae: Major capsid proteins detected by electrophoresis ..
- Common themes among bacteriophage-encoded virulence factors and diversity among the bacteriophages involvedE Fidelma Boyd
Dept of Microbiology, UCC, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland
Trends Microbiol 10:521-9. 2002..These virulence factors are encoded by a diversity of bacteriophages, members of the viral families Siphoviridae, Podoviridae, Myoviridae and Inoviridae, with some bacteriophages having characteristics of more than one virus ..
- Characterization of three Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus phages and the physicochemical analysis of phage adsorptionA Quiberoni
Programa de Lactología Industrial, Facultad de Ingenieria Quimica, Universidad Nacional del Litoral, Santa Fe, Argentina
J Appl Microbiol 96:340-51. 2004..Three indigenous Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus bacteriophages and their adsorption process were characterized...
- Morphology of Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg typing phagesWalter Demczuk
National Laboratory for Enteric Pathogens, National Microbiology Laboratory, Health Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3R2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 50:873-5. 2004Eleven tailed phages are described. They belong to the Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, or Podoviridae families and represent the ViI, T1, T5, Jersey, N4, and P22 species of enterobacterial phages. Morphology is correlated with host range.
- Identification and characterization of bacteriophages specific to the catfish pathogen, Edwardsiella ictaluriJ K Walakira
Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
J Appl Microbiol 105:2133-42. 2008..To identify and characterize bacteriophages specific for Edwardsiella ictaluri, the causative agent for enteric septicemia of catfish (ESC)...
- Molecular characterization and lytic activities of Streptococcus agalactiae bacteriophages and determination of lysogenic-strain featuresAnne Sophie Domelier
Equipe d Accueil 3854, Bactéries et Risque Maternofoetal, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 136, Agents Transmissibles et Infectiologie, UFR Medecine, Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, 37032 Tours Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 191:4776-85. 2009..On electron microscopy of the phage suspensions, it was possible to assign the phages to the Siphoviridae family, with three different morphotypes (A, B, and C)...
- Isolation of lytic bacteriophage against Vibrio harveyiC Crothers-Stomps
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia
J Appl Microbiol 108:1744-50. 2010..The isolation of lytic bacteriophage of Vibrio harveyi with potential for phage therapy of bacterial pathogens of phyllosoma larvae from the tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus...
- In vivo efficiency evaluation of a phage cocktail in controlling severe colibacillosis in confined conditions and experimental poultry housesAna Oliveira
Department of Research and Development Controlvet, Seguranca Alimentar, S A Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L6 Tondela, Portugal
Vet Microbiol 146:303-8. 2010..Three lytic coliphages, phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae) and phi F61E (Myoviridae) were combined in a 5...
- Genome sequence and characterization of the Tsukamurella bacteriophage TPA2Steve Petrovski
Biotechnology Research Centre, La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria 3552, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:1389-98. 2011..This polyvalent Siphoviridae family phage is lytic for most Tsukamurella species...
- Phages of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: response to environmental factors and in vitro ability to inhibit bacterial growth and biofilm formationP Knezevic
Department of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia
J Appl Microbiol 111:245-54. 2011..various environmental factors on adsorption and inactivation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa-specific phages: δ (family Podoviridae), J-1, σ-1 and 001A (family Siphoviridae) and their ability to inhibit bacterial growth and biofilm formation.
- Characterization of bacteriophage φPto-bp6g, a novel phage that lyses Pseudomonas tolaasii causing brown blotch disease in mushroomsHanh Thi Dieu Nguyen
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Konkuk University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol Methods 91:514-9. 2012..revealed that φPto-bp6g contains an icosahedral head and a long tail, which is classified as the family of Siphoviridae. The phage was observed to lyse P...
- Characteristics of a broad lytic spectrum endolysin from phage BtCS33 of Bacillus thuringiensisYihui Yuan
Key Laboratory of Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430071, PR, China
BMC Microbiol 12:297. 2012..B. thuringiensis phage BtCS33 is a Siphoviridae family phage and its genome has been sequenced and analyzed...
- Characterization and complete genome sequence of the Shigella bacteriophage pSf-1Jin Woo Jun
Laboratory of Aquatic Biomedicine, College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Res Microbiol 164:979-86. 2013..In this study, we isolated a virulent Siphoviridae bacteriophage (phage), pSf-1, that infects S. flexneri...
- Crystal structure of pb9, the distal tail protein of bacteriophage T5: a conserved structural motif among all siphophagesAli Flayhan
Univ Grenoble Alpes, Institut de Biologie Structurale IBS, Grenoble, France
J Virol 88:820-8. 2014..In Siphoviridae, the assembly of the long and flexible tail is a highly cooperative and regulated process that is initiated ..
- Characterization and comparative genomic analysis of bacteriophages infecting members of the Bacillus cereus groupJu Hoon Lee
Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyung Hee University, Yongin, 446 701, Korea
Arch Virol 159:871-84. 2014..analysis has revealed three different major phage groups with different morphologies (Myoviridae for group I, Siphoviridae for group II, and Tectiviridae for group III), genome size (group I > group II > group III), and ..
- Metagenomic analysis of the viral community in Namib Desert hypolithsEvelien M Adriaenssens
Centre for Microbial Ecology and Genomics, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Environ Microbiol 17:480-95. 2015..Phylotypic analysis showed that bacteriophages belonging to the order Caudovirales, in particular the family Siphoviridae, were most prevalent...
- Life-style and genome structure of marine Pseudoalteromonas siphovirus B8b isolated from the northwestern Mediterranean SeaElena Lara
Department of Marine Biology and Oceanography, Institut de Ciències del Mar CSIC, Passeig Maritim de la Barceloneta, 37 49, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 10:e0114829. 2015..Morphologically, phage B8b was classified as a member of the Siphoviridae family...
- Capsule-Targeting Depolymerase, Derived from Klebsiella KP36 Phage, as a Tool for the Development of Anti-Virulent StrategyGrazyna Majkowska-Skrobek
Institute of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Wroclaw, Przybyszewskiego 63 77, 51 148 Wroclaw, Poland
Viruses 8:. 2016..and characterized a novel depolymerase enzyme encoded by Klebsiella phage KP36 (depoKP36), from the Siphoviridae family...
- Bacteriophage ecology in commercial sauerkraut fermentationsZ Lu
Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7624, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:3192-202. 2003..They belonged to the family Myoviridae or Siphoviridae and showed distinct host ranges and DNA fingerprints...
- Genomic organization and molecular characterization of SM1, a temperate bacteriophage of Streptococcus mitisIan R Siboo
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of California, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Bacteriol 185:6968-75. 2003..These findings indicate that SM1 may be part of a discrete subfamily of the Siphoviridae that includes at least phages r1t of Lactococcus lactis and SF370.3 of Streptococcus pyogenes.
- The prophages of Lactobacillus johnsonii NCC 533: comparative genomics and transcription analysisMarco Ventura
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, CH 1026 Lausanne, Switzerland
Virology 320:229-42. 2004..The 38- and 40-kb-long prophages Lj928 and Lj965 represent distinct lineages of Sfi11-like pac-site Siphoviridae unrelated at the DNA sequence level...
- Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage LP65: a new member of the SPO1-like genus of the family MyoviridaeSandra Chibani-Chennoufi
Nestle Research Centre, CH 1000 Lausanne, 26 Vers chez les Blanc, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 186:7069-83. 2004..The putative tail sheath protein showed a shear-induced change in electrophoretic migration behavior. The genome organization of the structural module in LP65 resembled that of Siphoviridae from the lambda supergroup.
- Ten new temperate bacteriophages of Citrobacter youngaeJ Smarda
Department of Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, 662 43 Brno, Czechia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 49:671-8. 2004..The phages belong to the morphotypes of Myoviridae (6 phages) and Siphoviridae (4 phages), with head diameters of 51-58 nm and tail length of 97-173 nm...
- Structural characterization and assembly of the distal tail structure of the temperate lactococcal bacteriophage TP901-1Christina S Vegge
Department of Food Science, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Bacteriol 187:4187-97. 2005..The temperate Lactococcus lactis phage TP901-1 of the Siphoviridae family has a long noncontractile tail with a distal baseplate...
- Identification of the lower baseplate protein as the antireceptor of the temperate lactococcal bacteriophages TP901-1 and Tuc2009Christina S Vegge
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Stigbøjlen 4, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Bacteriol 188:55-63. 2006..The temperate Lactococcus lactis phage TP901-1 belongs to the P335 species of the Siphoviridae family, which also includes the related phage Tuc2009...
- 5500 Phages examined in the electron microscopeH W Ackermann
Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Arch Virol 152:227-43. 2007..Of the tailed phages, 61% have long, noncontractile tails and belong to the family Siphoviridae. Convergent evolution is visible in the morphology of certain phage groups.
- Prophages of Staphylococcus aureus Newman and their contribution to virulenceTaeok Bae
Department of Microbiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Microbiol 62:1035-47. 2006..phiNM1, phiNM2 and phiNM4, members of the siphoviridae family, insert at different sites (poiA, downstream of isdB and geh) in the staphylococcal chromosome...
- Induction and preliminary characterization of a novel halophage SNJ1 from lysogenic Natrinema sp. F5Yunjun Mei
State Key Laboratory of Virology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Can J Microbiol 53:1106-10. 2007..has a head of about 67 nm in diameter and a tail of 570 nm in length and belongs morphologically to the family Siphoviridae. The phage is strongly salt dependent; NaCl concentration affects the integrity of SNJ1, phage adsorption, and ..
- Isolation and identification of bacteriophages infecting ayu Plecoglossus altivelis altivelis specific Flavobacterium psychrophilumJi Hyung Kim
Laboratory of Aquatic Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Vet Microbiol 140:109-15. 2010..phages isolated were classified as members of Myoviridae (PFpW-3, PFpC-Y), Podoviridae (PFpW-6, PFpW-7), and Siphoviridae (PFpW-8) and had highly variable patterns of infectivity for different F. psychrophilum isolates (n=128)...
- Prevention of Gordonia and Nocardia stabilized foam formation by using bacteriophage GTE7Steve Petrovski
Biotechnology Research Centre, La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria 3552, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:7864-7. 2011..These are often stabilized by hydrophobic mycolic acid-synthesizing actinobacterial species. A polyvalent Siphoviridae phage, GTE7, which lysed several Gordonia and Nocardia species, is described here...
- Genome characteristics of a novel phage from Bacillus thuringiensis showing high similarity with phage from Bacillus cereusYihui Yuan
Key Laboratory of Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e37557. 2012..cereus. Several genomes of phages originating from this group had been sequenced, but no genome of Siphoviridae phage from B. thuringiensis has been reported...
- Visualizing a complete Siphoviridae member by single-particle electron microscopy: the structure of lactococcal phage TP901-1Cecilia Bebeacua
Division of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, United Kingdom
J Virol 87:1061-8. 2013..Finally, we propose that host adsorption apparatus architectures have evolved in correlation with the nature of the receptors used during infection...
- MECHANISM OF PHAGE L5 INTEGRATION AND EXCISIONGraham Hatfull; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition to Providing new insights into the mechanism of recombination these studies will offer new tools for mycobacterial genetics and a greater understanding of mycobacterial physiology. ..
- INTEGRATION AND EXCISION OF PROPHAGES IN TUBERCULOSISGraham Hatfull; Fiscal Year: 2003..tuberculoses to determine whether they have functional recombination systems; whether they act as Genetic Transfer Agents; and whether they play a role in virulence of M. tuberculosis. ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF MYCOBACTERIA AND THEIR PHAGESGraham Hatfull; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also use proteomic approaches to understand the influence of phage gene expression on that of its host. ..
- Mycobacteriophage-mediated Recombineering in Mycobacterium tuberculosisGraham Hatfull; Fiscal Year: 2007..These putative recombination proteins will be functionally and biochemically characterized and used to develop recombineering systems in both fast- and slow-growing mycobacteria. ..
- GENOMIC ANALYSIS OF LAMBDOID, TB & OTHER BACTERIOPHAGESRoger Hendrix; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Phage mimicry of mycobacterial signalingGraham F Hatfull; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to elucidate the specific role of GroEL1 in biofilm formation and mycolic acid synthesis, and to determine its role in the pathogenesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. ..