Genomes and Genes
Alias: Syrian golden hamster, Syrian golden hamsters, Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus, Golden hamsters, Syrian hamsters, Microcricetus aureus
Publications412 found, 100 shown here
- Cloning of Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) cytokine cDNAs and analysis of cytokine mRNA expression in experimental visceral leishmaniasisP C Melby
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284 7881, USA
Infect Immun 66:2135-42. 1998The Syrian golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) is uniquely susceptible to a variety of intracellular pathogens and is an excellent model for a number of human infectious diseases...
- The hamster as a model of human visceral leishmaniasis: progressive disease and impaired generation of nitric oxide in the face of a prominent Th1-like cytokine responseP C Melby
Medical Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX 78284, USA
J Immunol 166:1912-20. 2001..Remarkably, infection of the Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) with L...
- The octarepeat domain of the prion protein binds Cu(II) with three distinct coordination modes at pH 7.4Madhuri Chattopadhyay
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:12647-56. 2005..This work provides the first complete characterization of all dominant copper coordination modes at pH 7.4...
- Identification and characterization of a gonadotropin-inhibitory system in the brains of mammalsLance J Kriegsfeld
Department of Psychology and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2410-5. 2006....
- Reduced nitric oxide synthase 2 (NOS2) promoter activity in the Syrian hamster renders the animal functionally deficient in NOS2 activity and unable to control an intracellular pathogenLuis E Perez
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, 7400 Merton Minter Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Immunol 176:5519-28. 2006....
- The prion protein is a combined zinc and copper binding protein: Zn2+ alters the distribution of Cu2+ coordination modesEric D Walter
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:15440-1. 2007
- Duplex real-time reverse transcriptase PCR to determine cytokine mRNA expression in a hamster model of New World cutaneous leishmaniasisClaudia M Espitia
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, 7400 Merton Minter, San Antonio, Texas, USA
BMC Immunol 11:31. 2010The Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus, has distinct immunological features and is uniquely susceptible to intracellular pathogens. Studies in hamsters are limited by the relative unavailability of tools to conduct immunological studies...
- Progressive visceral leishmaniasis is driven by dominant parasite-induced STAT6 activation and STAT6-dependent host arginase 1 expressionE Yaneth Osorio
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002417. 2012..donovani infection induces macrophage STAT6 activation and STAT6-dependent arg1 expression, which do not require but are amplified by type 2 cytokines, and which contribute to impaired control of infection...
- Scrapie and cellular PrP isoforms are encoded by the same chromosomal geneK Basler
Cell 46:417-28. 1986....
- Metabolic activation of N-hydroxy-2-aminofluorene and N-hydroxy-2-acetylaminofluorene by monomorphic N-acetyltransferase (NAT1) and polymorphic N-acetyltransferase (NAT2) in colon cytosols of Syrian hamsters congenic at the NAT2 locusD W Hein
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of North Dakota School of Medicine, Grand Forks 58203
Cancer Res 53:509-14. 1993..is regulated at the polymorphic acetyltransferase (NAT2) gene locus in humans and other mammals such as Syrian hamsters. Human slow acetylator phenotypes have been associated with increased incidences of urinary bladder cancers, ..
- Studies on the inhalation toxicology of two fiberglasses and amosite asbestos in the Syrian golden hamster. Part II. Results of chronic exposureE E McConnell
ToxPath, Inc, 3028 Ethan Lane, Raleigh, NC 27613, USA
Inhal Toxicol 11:785-835. 1999..Groups of 140 weanling male Syrian golden hamsters were exposed via nose-only inhalation for 6 h/day, 5 days/wk for 78 wk to either filtered air (chamber ..
- An essential role for ovarian inhibin in pineal gland-mediated anestrus in Syrian hamstersB Benson
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson 85724 5044, USA
J Pineal Res 25:5-11. 1998When transferred from long photoperiod (LP) to short photoperiod (SP), female Syrian hamsters exhibit depressions of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and follicular development, cessation of ovulation, and marked ovarian interstitial ..
- Conjugated linoleic acid isomers reduce blood cholesterol levels but not aortic cholesterol accumulation in hypercholesterolemic hamstersThomas A Wilson
Department of Clinical Laboratory and Nutritional Sciences, Center for Health and Disease Research, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, Massachusetts 01854 5125, USA
Lipids 41:41-8. 2006..One hundred male F1B strain Syrian Golden Hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) (BioBreeders Inc...
- Apoptosis and molecular pathways in the seminiferous epithelium of aged and photoinhibited Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)Eva Morales
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, University of Murcia, E 30071 Murcia, Spain
J Androl 28:123-35. 2007Aging and short photoperiod exposure induce germ cell apoptosis in the Syrian hamster; however, the specific germ cells affected and the molecular pathways triggered have not been elucidated...
- Subcellular distributions of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP)-like immunoreactivity in the subcommissural organ of the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)Mang Hung Tsai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, 1, Sec 1, Jen Ai Road, 100 Taipei, Taiwan
Neurosci Res 47:85-95. 2003..The abundant amount of CGRP in ependymocytes of SCO and RF in the third ventricle suggests a significant endocrine function of CGRP in hamster SCO...
- Rice bran oil and oryzanol reduce plasma lipid and lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations and aortic cholesterol ester accumulation to a greater extent than ferulic acid in hypercholesterolemic hamstersThomas A Wilson
Department of Clinical Laboratory and Nutritional Sciences, Center for Health and Disease Research, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:105-12. 2007..Forty-eight F(1)B Golden Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) (BioBreeders, Watertown, MA) were group housed (three per cage) in cages with bedding in an air-..
- Quantitative differences in the circadian rhythm of locomotor activity and vasopressin and vasoactive intestinal peptide gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of tau mutant compared to wildtype hamstersK Scarbrough
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Brain Res 736:251-9. 1996..of homozygous tau mutant hamsters bred in our colony exhibit several differences when compared to wildtype golden hamsters. In addition, tau mutant hamsters respond to saturating white light pulses presented between circadian time (..
- Chronic inhalation study of fiber glass and amosite asbestos in hamsters: twelve-month preliminary resultsT W Hesterberg
Schuller International, Inc, Littleton, Colorado, USA
Environ Health Perspect 105:1223-9. 1997..The study includes 18 months of inhalation exposure followed by lifetime recovery. Syrian golden hamsters are exposed, nose only, for 6 hr/day, 5 day/week to size-selected test fibers: MMVF10a (Schuller 901 ..
- Schistosoma japonicum-infected hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) used as a model in experimental chemotherapy with praziquantel, artemether, and OZ compoundsShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Key Laboratory of Parasite and Vector Biology, MOH, WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria, Schistosomiasis and Filariasis, Shanghai, 200025, PR China
Parasitol Res 108:431-7. 2011..praziquantel, and ozonide (OZ) compounds (synthetic trioxolanes, secondary ozonides) in hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) model...
- Influence of photoinhibition on the morphology and function of pituitary lactotropes in male golden hamstersGloria M Console
Cátedra de Histología Embriología B, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, UNLP, Comisión de Investigaciones Científicas Buenos Aires CICBA, Argentina
Neuroendocrinology 75:316-25. 2002..was to analyze the possible quantitative immunohistochemical and ultrastructural changes of PRL cells in male golden hamsters undergoing regression and spontaneous recrudescence, correlating the morphological findings with circulating ..
- The benzodiazepine diazepam demonstrates the usefulness of Syrian hamsters as a model for anxiety testing: evaluation of other classes of anxiolytics in comparison to diazepamRobert L Gannon
Department of Biology, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA 31698, USA
Behav Brain Res 218:8-14. 2011..In animal models, Syrian hamsters have been used extensively to study the pharmacology of circadian rhythms, while rats and mice are used to ..
- Species differences in hepatic peroxisome proliferation, cell replication and transforming growth factor-beta1 gene expression in the rat, Syrian hamster and guinea pigB G Lake
TNO BIBRA International Ltd, Woodmansterne Road, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Mutat Res 448:213-25. 2000..Male Sprague-Dawley rats, Syrian hamsters and Dunkin-Hartley guinea pigs were given daily oral doses of 0 (corn oil) and 75 mg/kg MCP for periods of 6 ..
- Role of the central amygdala in social communication in Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)M Bamshad
Departments of Biology and Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta 30303, USA
Brain Res 744:15-22. 1997In Syrian hamsters, vasopressin (AVP) controls a form of scent marking called flank marking. Microinjection and lesion studies have identified several components of the neural circuit controlling this behavior...
- Corticotropin-releasing factor receptors in the dorsal raphe nucleus modulate social behavior in Syrian hamstersMatthew A Cooper
Department of Psychology, Austin Peay Building, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 0900, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 194:297-307. 2007In Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus), social defeat produces a prolonged change in subsequent agonistic behavior termed conditioned defeat...
- Effects of Diaspirin Crosslinked Hemoglobin (DCLHb) on microcirculation and local tissue pO2 of striated skin muscle following resuscitation from hemorrhagic shockSven Hungerer
Department for Surgery, Trauma Clinic Murnau, Murnau, Germany
Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 34:455-71. 2006..leukocyte-endothelial cell interaction and local tissue oxygenation in striated skin muscle of Syrian golden hamsters during and after resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock...
- The effect of tribendimidine and its metabolites against Necator americanus in golden hamsters and Nippostrongylus braziliensis in ratsJian Xue
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Key Laboratory of Parasite and Vector Biology, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 106:775-81. 2010..americanus-infected hamsters; the effect of oral dADT against N. braziliensis in rats is somewhat better than TBD, while AdADT endorses poor effect; and TPAL and TPAC are ineffective metabolites of TBD against both species of nematodes...
- The S segment of Punta Toro virus (Bunyaviridae, Phlebovirus) is a major determinant of lethality in the Syrian hamster and codes for a type I interferon antagonistLucy A Perrone
Department of Pathology, Centers for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550 0609, USA
J Virol 81:884-92. 2007..of Punta Toro virus (PTV), isolated from febrile humans in Panama, cause a differential pathogenesis in Syrian hamsters, which could be a useful model for understanding the virulence characteristics and differential outcomes in ..
- Effects of emphysema on diaphragm blood flow during exerciseW L Sexton
Department of Physiology, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, Missouri 63501, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 84:971-9. 1998..Male Syrian Golden hamsters were randomly divided into emphysema (E; intratracheal elastase 25 units/100 g body wt) and control (C; ..
- Testicular function after local injection of 6-hydroxydopamine or norepinephrine in the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)A Mayerhofer
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901 6512
J Androl 11:301-11. 1990..This in vivo and in vitro study in the adult golden hamster examines testicular function after unilateral intratesticular application of a single dose of 6-..
- Chemopreventative effect of a cyclooxygenase-2-specific inhibitor (etodolac) on chemically induced biliary carcinogenesis in hamstersNoritsugu Tsuneoka
Department of Transplantation and Digestive Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Carcinogenesis 26:465-9. 2005..b>Syrian golden hamsters were subjected to choledochojejunostomy and then received subcutaneous injections of N-nitrosobis(2-..
- Pressor effects elicited by stimulation within the medullary raphe nuclei of the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)M G Faria
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 29:533-40. 1996..2 g/kg, iv, after ether induction) golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus, 130 to 150 g, either sex)...
- Volitional ethanol consumption affects overall serotonin metabolism in Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)W M Keung
Center for Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 250 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:823-30. 2000..metabolites 5-hydroxyindole-3-acetic acid (5-HIAA) and 5-hydroxytryptophol (5-HTOL) in the urine of Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and used to study the effect of volitional ethanol consumption on overall 5-HT ..
- Effect of host age in the distribution of adult Trichinella zimbabwensis in the small intestines of golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and Balb C miceS Mukaratirwa
Faculty of Veterinary Science, Department of Paraclinical Veterinary Studies, P O Box MP 167, Mount Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:169-73. 2003Golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and Balb C mice were experimentally infected with Trichinella zimbabwensis to determine the effect of host age in the distribution of adult stages in the small intestines...
- The bed nucleus of the stria terminalis in the Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus): absence of vasopressin expression in standard and wild-derived hamsters and galanin regulation by seasonal changes in circulating sex steroidsM Bolborea
Tierarztliche Hochschule, Institut fur Zoologie, Bunteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Neuroscience 165:819-30. 2010..was completely absent in both breeding stocks, confirming the absence of BNST vasopressin expression in Mesocricetus auratus and ruling out a breeding artefact...
- Enhancement of shortening velocity, power, and acto-myosin crossbridge (CB) kinetics following long-term treatment with propionyl-L-carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and omega-3 fatty acids in BIO TO-2 cardiomyopathic Syrian hamsters papillary muscleRomina Vargiu
Department of Science Applied to Biosystems, Section of Physiology and Human Nutrition, University of Cagliari, Italy
Biofactors 36:229-39. 2010..The BIO TO-2 cardiomyopathic Syrian Hamsters (CMSHs) represent an animal model of idiopathic DCM...
- Microvascular response to compartment syndrome-like external pressure elevation: an in vivo fluorescence microscopic study in the hamster striated muscleB Vollmar
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Surgery, University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
J Trauma 46:91-6. 1999..To quantitatively assess the nature and the magnitude of the microvascular response of striated muscle tissue upon elevation of external pressure, as in compartment syndrome...
- Energetics of offspring production: a comparison of a marsupial (Monodelphis domestica) and a eutherian (Mesocricetus auratus)M J Hsu
Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
J Comp Physiol B 169:67-76. 1999..the energetic cost of reproduction during gestation and lactation of a eutherian, the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus), and a similar-sized (60,120 g) marsupial, the gray short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica)...
- Imbalance of estrogen homeostasis in kidney and liver of hamsters treated with estradiol: implications for estrogen-induced initiation of renal tumorsE L Cavalieri
The Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986805 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 14:1041-50. 2001..Treatment of male Syrian golden hamsters with estrogens or 4-catechol estrogens (4-CE), but not 2-CE, induces kidney, but not liver, tumors...
- Collagen matrix in development and progression of experimentally induced respiratory neoplasms in the hamsterJ Laitakari
Department of Pathology, University of Oulu, Finland
Toxicol Pathol 29:514-27. 2001Intratracheal instillations of 7H-dibenzo(c, g)carbazole (DBC), a tobacco smoke component, into Syrian golden hamsters, resulted in preneoplastic lesions and benign and malignant respiratory neoplasms...
- Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and endothelium dysfunction induced by lysophosphatidylcholine in Syrian hamster aortaAnthony Lucas
INRA UMR 1154, Chatenay Malabry F 92296, France
Metabolism 57:233-40. 2008..Golden Syrian hamsters were fed for 6 weeks with a control diet or an EPA- or DHA-supplemented diet...
- Arginine-vasopressin and the regulation of aggression in female Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)Stephanie J Gutzler
Neuroscience Institute, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 3966, USA
Eur J Neurosci 31:1655-63. 2010..studies have demonstrated that AVP regulates behaviors such as social communication and aggression in Syrian hamsters through the V1a receptor subtype...
- The role of the medial preoptic area in appetitive and consummatory reproductive behaviors depends on sexual experience and odor volatility in male Syrian hamstersL E Been
Georgia State University, Neuroscience Institute, 100 Piedmont Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Neuroscience 170:1120-32. 2010In Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus), the expression of reproductive behavior requires the perception and discrimination of sexual odors...
- Adolescent anabolic androgenic steroids reorganize the glutamatergic neural circuitry in the hypothalamusMaria Carrillo
Behavioral Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, 125 Nightingale Hall, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02155, USA
Brain Res 1249:118-27. 2009..AAS) during adolescence alters the activity of various neurotransmitter systems in male Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)...
- Lesions that functionally disconnect the anterior and posterodorsal sub-regions of the medial amygdala eliminate opposite-sex odor preference in male Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)P M Maras
Department of Psychology, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Neuroscience Institute, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 5030, USA
Neuroscience 165:1052-62. 2010In many rodent species, such as Syrian hamsters, reproductive behavior requires neural integration of chemosensory information and steroid hormone cues...
- Lesions of the posterior bed nucleus of the stria terminalis eliminate opposite-sex odor preference and delay copulation in male Syrian hamsters: role of odor volatility and sexual experienceLaura E Been
Neuroscience Institute, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 5030, USA
Eur J Neurosci 32:483-93. 2010In Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus), the expression of reproductive behavior requires the perception of social odors...
- Blocking oxytocin receptors inhibits vaginal marking to male odors in female Syrian hamstersLuis A Martinez
Neuroscience Institute, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, PO Box 5030, Atlanta, GA 30302 5030, USA
Physiol Behav 101:685-92. 2010In Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus), precopulatory behaviors such as vaginal scent marking are essential for attracting a suitable mate...
- The photoreceptive capacity of the developing pineal gland and eye of the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)R G Foster
Department of Integrative and Molecular Neuroscience, Division of Neuroscience and Psychological Medicine, Imperial College London, Faculty of Medicine, Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, London W6 8RF, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 15:355-63. 2003..Using the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) as our model, we applied biochemical approaches to look for a functional photopigment within the pineal ..
- Seasonal and daily changes in the capacity for nonshivering thermogenesis in the golden hamsters housed under semi-natural conditionsMałgorzata Jefimow
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of General and Molecular Biology, N Copernicus University, Gagarina 9 St, Toruń PL 87 100, Poland
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 137:297-309. 2004..preferred ambient temperature (PT(a)) and activity after noradrenaline (NA) injections in golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) housed under semi-natural conditions were investigated...
- The evaluation of recombinant hookworm antigens as vaccines in hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) challenged with human hookworm, Necator americanusShuhua Xiao
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Exp Parasitol 118:32-40. 2008..previously reported the successful adaptation of human hookworm Necator americanus in the golden hamster, Mesocricetus auratus. This animal model was used to test a battery of hookworm (N...
- Canine visceral leishmaniasis: asymptomatic infected dogs as a source of L. infantum infectionAbdolali Moshfe
Department of Medical Parasitology and Mycology, School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Acta Trop 112:101-5. 2009..was extracted from skin and peripheral blood tissues of each dog and tested by PCR. Sixty-six Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) were used for the determination of infectivity and pathogenicity of L...
- Neural mechanisms of individual and sexual recognition in Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)Aras Petrulis
Neuroscience Institute, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 5030, USA
Behav Brain Res 200:260-7. 2009..Due to its heavy reliance on odor cues, we have used the Syrian hamster as our model species for investigating the neural regulation of social recognition...
- Leishmania donovani-derived lipophosphoglycan plus BCG induces a Th1 type immune response but does not protect Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and BALB/c mice against Leishmania donovaniW K Tonui
Centre for Biotechnology Research and Development, Kenya Medical Research Institute, PO Box 54840, Nairobi, Kenya
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:255-63. 2003..BCG) as a vaccine candidate against visceral leishmaniosis in susceptible BALB/c mouse and Syrian golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) models was investigated...
- Chronic St. Louis encephalitis virus infection in the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)Marina T Siirin
Department of Pathology and Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:299-306. 2007To further study the phenomenon of flavivirus persistent infection, golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) were inoculated intraperitoneally with a low pathogenicity strain of St. Louis encephalitis virus (SLEV)...
- Induction of P-450 isoenzyme activities in Syrian golden hamster liver compared to rat liver as probed by the rate of 7-alkoxyresorufin-O-dealkylationG Blaich
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology,
Chem Biol Interact 67:129-38. 1988..hydrocarbon hydroxylase (AHH) were measured in hepatic microsomes from male and female Wistar rats and Syrian golden hamsters in order to probe the basal activity and the inducibility by phenobarbital (PB) and 3-methylcholanthrene (..
- In vivo kinetics and spectra of 5-aminolaevulinic acid-induced fluorescence in an amelanotic melanoma of the hamsterC Abels
Institute for Surgical Research, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Br J Cancer 70:826-33. 1994..were performed in the amelanotic melanoma A-Mel-3 grown in the dorsal skinfold chamber preparation of Syrian golden hamsters. The kinetics of fluorescent porphyrins was quantified up to 24 h after i.v...
- Distribution of hypocretin-(orexin) immunoreactivity in the central nervous system of Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)E M Mintz
Department of Biological Sciences, One University Plaza, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH 44555, USA
J Chem Neuroanat 21:225-38. 2001..This study was designed to examine the distribution of hypocretin immunoreactivity in Syrian hamsters, as important differences in neuropeptide distribution between rats and hamsters have previously been ..
- Circadian clock resetting by sleep deprivation without exercise in Syrian hamsters: dark pulses revisitedRalph E Mistlberger
Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
J Biol Rhythms 17:227-37. 2002Circadian rhythms in Syrian hamsters can be phase shifted by procedures that stimulate wheel running ("exercise") in the mid-subjective day (the hamster's usual sleep period)...
- Effects of food deprivation on locomotor activity, plasma glucose, and circadian clock resetting in Syrian hamstersRalph E Mistlberger
Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
J Biol Rhythms 21:33-44. 2006Circadian rhythms in Syrian hamsters can be phase advanced by activity or arousal stimulated during the daily rest phase ("subjective day"). A widely used method for stimulating activity is confinement to a novel wheel...
- Yellow fever virus isolated from a fatal post vaccination event: an experimental comparative study with the 17DD vaccine strain in the Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)Sueli Guerreiro Rodrigues
Instituto Evandro Chagas, Belem, PA, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:69-74. 2004..a fatal adverse event after yellow fever virus (YFV) vaccination, an experimental assay using hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) as animal model and YFV 17DD vaccine strain as virus reference was accomplished...
- Biochemical and immunochemical evidence for the induction of an ethanol-inducible cytochrome P-450 isozyme in male Syrian golden hamstersG D McCoy
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106
Biochem Pharmacol 37:1563-8. 1988..This isozyme can be readily monitored by either high-affinity aniline or p-nitrophenol hydroxylation or by Western immunoblot analysis and appears to be the ethanol-inducible form of cytochrome P-450 in hamsters...
- The neurobehavioral effects of phytoestrogens in male Syrian hamstersTim O Moore
Neuroscience Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Brain Res 1016:102-10. 2004..determine whether or not diet can have neurobehavioral effects on intermale aggression in Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)...
- Okadaic acid potentiates 3-methylcholanthrene-induced CYP2A8 gene expression in primary cultures of Syrian hamster hepatocytes: possible involvement of activator protein-1M Tohkin
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, National Institute of Public Health, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 50:556-64. 1996In Syrian hamster liver, treatment with 3-methylcholanthrene (3-MC) markedly induces an isozyme of cytochrome P450 (CYP), CYP2A8...
- Immunization of Syrian golden hamsters with F subunit vaccine of human metapneumovirus induces protection against challenge with homologous or heterologous strainsSander Herfst
Department of Virology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Gen Virol 88:2702-9. 2007..antigenicity, immunogenicity and protective efficacy of these soluble F subunit vaccines were evaluated in Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)...
- Mammalian aspartate transcarbamylase (ATCase): sequence of the ATCase domain and interdomain linker in the CAD multifunctional polypeptide and properties of the isolated domainJ P Simmer
Department of Biochemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:4382-6. 1989..We have sequenced selected restriction fragments of a Syrian hamster CAD cDNA that are clearly homologous to three prokaryotic ATCases...
- Neuropeptide Y inhibits estrous behavior and stimulates feeding via separate receptors in Syrian hamstersE S Corp
Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, Neuroscience and Behavior Program and Department of Psychology, Box 37720, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R1061-8. 2001Central injections of neuropeptide Y (NPY) increase food intake in Syrian hamsters; however, the effect of NPY on sexual behavior in hamsters is not known nor are the receptor subtypes involved in feeding and sexual behaviors...
- Mass spectrometric detection of attomole amounts of the prion protein by nanoLC/MS/MSBruce Onisko
Western Regional Research Center, United States Department of Agriculture, Albany, California, USA
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 18:1070-9. 2007..The VVEQMCTTQYQK method has a LOD of 20 to 30 amol for pure standards. Proof of principle is demonstrated by quantitation of the amount of PrP 27-30 in the brains of terminally ill Syrian hamsters.
- Clerodendron inerme protects cellular integrity during 7,12-dimethylbenz[A]-anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesisShanmugam Manoharan
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002, Tamil Nadu, India
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:213-22. 2008..Oral squamous cell carcinoma was induced in the buccal pouch of Syrian golden hamsters by painting with 0.5% DMBA in liquid paraffin thrice a week for 14 weeks...
- Cloning of a mu-class glutathione S-transferase complementary DNA and characterization of its glucocorticoid inducibility in a smooth muscle tumor cell lineJ S Norris
Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425 2229
Mol Endocrinol 5:979-86. 1991..In contrast, cycloheximide treatment 3 h after glucocorticoid treatment resulted in nearly full induction. These results taken together suggest that hGSTYBX induction may be a secondary glucocorticoid response...
- Characterization of the 5' end of the growth-regulated Syrian hamster CAD geneP J Farnham
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706
Cell Growth Differ 1:179-89. 1990..As a first step, the structure of the promoter region of the Syrian hamster CAD gene has been determined...
- Cloning of the p53 tumor suppressor gene from the Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) and evaluation of mutational hotspots in MNNG-exposed fishM K Krause
Duke University Marine Laboratory, School of the Environment, Beaufort, NC 28516, USA
Gene 189:101-6. 1997..frog (Xenopus laevis), chicken (Gallus gallus), rat (Rattus norvegicus), mouse (Mus musculus), hamster (Mesocricetus auratus), green monkey (Ceropithecus aethiops) and human (Homo sapiens). A single 1...
- Unpredictable deprivation of water increases the probability of torpor in the Syrian hamsterN Ibuka
Department of Psychology, Shiga University, Shiga ken, Japan
Physiol Behav 62:551-6. 1997The effect of unpredictable water deprivation on hibernation was investigated in the Syrian hamster under natural photoperiod and temperature...
- Aspects of mammalian spermatogenesis: electrophoretical analysis of protamines in mammalian speciesC H Lee
Department of Medical Genetics, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
Mol Cells 9:556-9. 1999..Microtus agretis, Apodemus flavicollis, Apodemus sylvaticus, Clethrionomys glareolus, the Chinese and the golden hamster. However, only one protamine is found in the spermatozoa of the guinea pig, dog, bull, black monkey, and the ..
- Increased expression of the gene for alpha-interferon-inducible protein in cardiomyopathic hamster heartE M Denovan-Wright
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4H7, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 267:103-8. 2000..Thus, an inherited defect in CM hamsters leads to increased expression of p27-h in advance of the development of hypertrophy and heart failure...
- Serotonergic modulation of astrocytic activity in the hamster suprachiasmatic nucleusJ D Glass
Department of Biological Sciences, Kent State University, OH 44242, USA
Neuroscience 94:1253-9. 1999..receptor activation on the expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of Syrian hamsters. Immunoblot and immunohistochemical procedures were used to examine the effects of systemic application of ..
- Regulation of intestinal apolipoprotein B mRNA editing levels by a zinc-deficient diet and cDNA cloning of editing protein in hamstersS K Reaves
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Nutr 130:2166-73. 2000..The influence of dietary zinc on intestinal apoB mRNA editing levels was examined in Golden Syrian hamsters (7 wk old) assigned to one of the following three dietary treatments: Zn-adequate (ZA, 30 mg Zn/kg diet), Zn-..
- Paracoccidioides brasiliensis isolated from armadillos is virulent to Syrian hamstersM T Peracoli
Departamento de Microbiologia e Imunologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mycopathologia 148:123-30. 1999..The results demonstrated that Pb-T recently isolated from an animal was more virulent than Pb-18. These differences between the two P. brasiliensis isolates may be indicators of virulence attenuation in this fungal species...
- Exotic photoperiods induce and entrain split circadian activity rhythms in hamstersM R Gorman
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Comp Physiol A 187:793-800. 2001..Male Syrian hamsters previously maintained on a 14-h day and 10-h night were exposed to a second 5-h dark phase in the afternoon...
- Food deprivation inhibits estrous behavior in hormone-treated Syrian hamsters despite elevated estradiol levelsJuli E Jones
Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst 01003 7720, USA
Horm Behav 41:316-20. 2002..Ovariectomized Syrian hamsters given varying doses of estradiol benzoate (EB) and P were tested to determine whether increasing doses of sex ..
- Short days and exogenous melatonin increase aggression of male Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)Aaron M Jasnow
Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, 30303, USA
Horm Behav 42:13-20. 2002..the effects of photoperiod and exogenous melatonin on resident-intruder aggression in male Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)...
- Positional candidate approach for the gene responsible for benign adult familial myoclonic epilepsyAkira Sano
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Ehime University School of Medicine, Shigenobu, Onsen gun, Ehime, Japan
Epilepsia 43:26-31. 2002..segments were well conserved, and its overall amino acids homology as compared with those of rat and golden hamster was 95.0% and 95.0%...
- Food hoarding is increased by food deprivation and decreased by leptin treatment in Syrian hamstersCarolyn A Buckley
Dept of Biological Sciences, Lehigh Univ, 111 Research Dr, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 285:R1021-9. 2003..Thus it is interesting that Syrian hamsters fail to increase food intake after a period of food deprivation, despite a fall in plasma leptin ..
- Cholecystokinin reduces ethanol consumption in golden hamstersDavid Dibattista
Brock University, Department of Psychology, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada L2S 3A1
Alcohol 29:173-81. 2003In experimental conditions, golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) avidly consume ethanol solutions...
- Inhibition of experimental tobacco carcinogen induced head and neck carcinogenesisJoel Schwartz
American Health Foundation, Molecular Pathology Facility, Institute for Cancer Prevention, One Dana Road, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Oral Oncol 40:611-23. 2004..43 I.U./0.136 (microM/treatment) administered by gavages to Syrian hamsters (14 animals per group) using physiologic low doses, 5X/week...
- Recognition of competitors by male golden hamstersAras Petrulis
Department of Psychology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Physiol Behav 81:629-38. 2004b>Golden hamsters, like many animals, form dominant/subordinate relationships after aggressive encounters...
- Role of quorum sensing in the pathogenicity of Burkholderia pseudomalleiRicky L Ulrich
Bacteriology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702 5011, USA
J Med Microbiol 53:1053-64. 2004..pseudomallei via inhalational exposure of BALB/c mice and intraperitoneal challenge of Syrian hamsters has not been reported. This investigation demonstrates that B...
- Efficacy of rabies biologics against new lyssaviruses from EurasiaCathleen A Hanlon
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Rabies Team, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virus Res 111:44-54. 2005..e., Syrian hamsters and ferrets)...
- Comparative genomics of the sperm mitochondria-associated cysteine-rich protein geneSabrina K Hawthorne
Department of Biology, University of Massachusetts at Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125, USA
Genomics 87:382-91. 2006....
- Dendritic pruning of the medial amygdala during pubertal development of the male Syrian hamsterJulia L Zehr
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Neurobiol 66:578-90. 2006..In pre-, mid-, and late pubertal (21, 35, and 49 days of age) male Syrian hamsters, we examined neuronal structure in Me and protein levels of spinophilin and synaptophysin in the amygdaloid ..
- Protective effect of Amomi semen extract on alloxan-induced pancreatic beta-cell damageJi Hyun Lee
Department of Biochemistry, Medical School, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, 561 756, Jeonbuk, Republic of Korea
Phytother Res 22:86-90. 2008..Amomi semen extract (ASE) on alloxan-induced pancreatic beta-cell damage was investigated in HIT T-15 cells, a Syrian hamster pancreatic beta-cell line...
- Immunoglobulin M-enriched human intravenous immunoglobulins reduce leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions and attenuate microvascular perfusion failure in normotensive endotoxemiaJohannes N Hoffman
Department of Surgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Shock 29:133-9. 2008..Male Syrian golden hamsters 6 to 8 weeks old with a body weight of 60 to 80 g were investigated by intravital fluorescence microscopy...
- Syrian hamster embryo (SHE) cell transformation assay with conditioned media (without X-ray irradiated feeder layer) using 2,4-diaminotoluene, 2,6-diaminotoluene and chloral hydrateKamala Pant
Genetic Toxicology Department, BioReliance, Rockville, MD 20850, United States
Mutat Res 654:108-13. 2008The Syrian hamster embryo (SHE) cell transformation assay has traditionally been conducted with a feeder layer of X-ray irradiated cells to provide growth support to the target cells seeded in low numbers...
- Hamster zona pellucida is formed by four glycoproteins: ZP1, ZP2, ZP3, and ZP4M J Izquierdo-Rico
Department of Cell Biology, School of Medicine, University of Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Proteome Res 8:926-41. 2009..In the hamster (Mesocricetus auratus), it was previously described that ZP was composed of three different glycoproteins, called ZP1, ZP2, and ..
- Attenuating effect of taurine on lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in hamstersTapan M Bhavsar
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St John s University, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
Pharmacol Res 60:418-28. 2009..02mg in phosphate buffered saline (PBS) pH 7.4) was instilled intratracheally into female Golden Syrian hamsters, before or after a 3-day intraperitoneal treatment with a single dose (50mg/kg in PBS pH 7.4) of taurine...
- Pre-existing immunity and passive immunity to adenovirus 5 prevents toxicity caused by an oncolytic adenovirus vector in the Syrian hamster modelDebanjan Dhar
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Mol Ther 17:1724-32. 2009We have used Syrian hamsters to examine the role of pre-existing immunity to adenovirus (Ad) 5 in the toxicity of the oncolytic Ad vector INGN 007. Groups of hamsters were or were not immunized with Ad5...
- Recombinant prion protein induces a new transmissible prion disease in wild-type animalsNatallia Makarava
Medical Biotechnology Center, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Acta Neuropathol 119:177-87. 2010..Here, we report that prion infectivity was generated in Syrian hamsters after inoculating full-length rPrP that had been converted into the cross-beta-sheet amyloid form and ..
- High-resolution mapping of interstitial telomeric repeats in Syrian hamster metaphase chromosomesS Demin
Institute of Cytology, Russian Academy of Sciences, St Petersburg, Russia
Cytogenet Genome Res 132:151-5. 2011Karyotype analysis of the Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) was performed after DAPI-banding of metaphase chromosomes obtained from cultivated skin fibroblasts of a newborn animal...
- The physiological link between metabolic rate depression and tau phosphorylation in mammalian hibernationJens T Stieler
Department of Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Neurodegeneration, Paul Flechsig Institute of Brain Research, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e14530. 2011..phosphorylation in various brain regions of three species of hibernating mammals: arctic ground squirrels, Syrian hamsters and black bears...
- Glutamate-vasopressin interactions and the neurobiology of anabolic steroid-induced offensive aggressionM Carrillo
Behavioral Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, 125 Nightingale Hall, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02155, USA
Neuroscience 185:85-96. 2011..The current set of studies used male Syrian hamsters exposed to AAS during adolescence to examine whether increased glutamate-mediated stimulation of the BNST is ..
- Beneficial effects of cordycepin on metabolic profiles of liver and plasma from hyperlipidemic hamstersYang Sun
Key Laboratory of Bioactive Substances and Resources Utilization of Chinese Herbal Medicine, Ministry of Education, Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 13:534-46. 2011..a natural monomer compound, on endogenous metabolic profiles of liver and plasma from hyperlipidemic Syrian golden hamsters. Hyperlipidemia was successfully established in hamsters fed by a high-fat diet for 2 weeks...
- Presence of amastigotes in the central nervous system of hamsters infected with Leishmania spElisangela de Oliveira
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Departamento de Patologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas e da Saude, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul, Campo Grande, MS, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 20:97-102. 2011..Parasitological and immunohistochemical studies were performed golden hamsters Mesocricetus auratus infected with bone marrow from individuals with VL in the State of Mato Grosso do Sul, central-west Brazil...
- Comparative histopathology of Opisthorchis felineus and Opisthorchis viverrini in a hamster model: an implication of high pathogenicity of the European liver flukeMaria N Lvova
Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, pr Akad Lavrent eva 10, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Parasitol Int 61:167-72. 2012..The study was conducted in 3 groups of 105 Syrian golden hamsters; the first and second groups fed with 50 metacercariae of O. felineus (OF) or O...
- Richard H Melloni; Fiscal Year: 2015..In previous studies, we showed that pubertal male Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) exposed to moderate doses of commonly used anabolic steroids display a high level of offensive aggression ..
- TASTE QUALITY REPRESENTATION IN THE SOLITARY NUCLEUSMARION FRANK; Fiscal Year: 1992..first central relay for taste in mammals, is being studied anatomically and physiologically in the hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) ...
- TEMPORAL INTEGRATION OF PHOTOPERIODIC SIGNALS IN MAMMALSMichael Gorman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Prior studies have examined responses of Siberian, Phodopus sungorus, and Syrian hamsters, Mesocricetus auratus, to static long and short day lengths of early summer and winter, respectively...
- Neurobiology of Social BehaviorELLIOTT ALBERS; Fiscal Year: 2005..will investigate the neural and endocrine mechanisms that control social behavior in Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)...
- TEMPORAL INTEGRATION OF PHOTOPERIODIC SIGNALS IN MAMMALSMichael R Gorman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Studies in this area have examined responses of Siberian, Phodopus sungorus, and Syrian hamsters, Mesocricetus auratus, exposed to static long and short day lengths of early summer and winter, respectively...
- H Craig Heller; Fiscal Year: 2016..Neuroanatomical studies have shown that the SCN innervates the MS of rats, mice, and golden hamsters, thus, we firmly believe that the functional relationship between the SCN and MS established in Siberian ..
- Circadian Biology at the Supra-Organismal LevelWilliam J Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have found that co-housing pairs of golden hamsters or female laboratory mice can result in a change in a circadian clock property (the free-running circadian ..
- Integrative Neurobiology of Social ProcessesS Marc Breedlove; Fiscal Year: 2013..in rats, mice, and voles;dominance hierarchies in spotted hyenas;social modulation of puberty in rats, Syrian hamsters and Siberian hamsters;as well as mating behaviors in a variety of vertebrates...
- FAT CELL PROLIFERATION IN OBESITY--MODULATING FACTORSRoy Martin; Fiscal Year: 1999..3) diet-induced obesity: high fat diet (HFD)-fed Wistar rats; 4) seasonal (photoperiod)-induced obesity: Syrian hamsters; and 5) hyperplastic model: Guinea pig...
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL OF SEASONAL WEIGHT CYCLESGeorge Wade; Fiscal Year: 1992..When photoperiod falls below a critical value, as in the autumn, Syrian hamsters gain weight and fatten, whereas Djungarian hamsters lose weight, primarily adipose tissue...
- NEUROENDOCRINE MECHANISMS IN SEASONAL REPRODUCTIONBRYANT BENSON; Fiscal Year: 1990b>Syrian hamsters are long-day seasonal breeders whose reproductive systems become quiescent in the short days of fall and winter...
- Neurobiology of Circadian DysrhythmiasWILLIAM SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..Notable examples of this are some of the effects of constant light (LL) - "splitting" in golden hamsters and circadian rhythmicity in genetically-deficient mice - that dramatically reorganize the circadian system...
- Matthew A Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2014..we will investigate the mechanisms controlling resistance to social stress using a social defeat model in Syrian hamsters, called conditioned defeat...
- SOCIOSEXUAL BEHAVIOR - CELLULAR BASIS OF HORMONE ACTIONROBERT MEISEL; Fiscal Year: 1993..program is to study cellular mechanisms of hormone action on sexual and aggressive behaviors in female Syrian hamsters. It is proposed that aggression is an integral component of social behaviors of females in general, and that ..
- Preventing lethal hemorrhagic fever caused by hantaviruses by preserving endothelALAN L MUELLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this project, we would identify the most efficacious dose of Slit2N in treating HPS in Syrian hamsters. Once the optimal dose is identified, we will experiment with dose timing to determine how late in the course ..
- JAY WILLIAMS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2016..90] efficacy testing. Our HPS animal model involves adult Syrian hamsters infected with ANDV...
- Preventing Human Prion Diseases - Inactivation of PrionsStanley B Prusiner; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have determined that treatment with acidic SDS combined with autoclaving reduces the infectivity of Syrian hamster Sc237 and human sCJD prions by a factor of >106...
- Svend O Freytag; Fiscal Year: 2016..Toxicity will be examined in C57BL/6 male mice and Syrian hamsters, the latter of which are permissive for human adenovirus replication...
- Viral determinants of hantavirus pulmonary disease in the hamsterCharles F Fulhorst; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of recent studies suggest that the virulence of the New World hantaviruses in Syrian golden hamsters, as in humans, is dependent upon viral genetics...
- Replication-deficient rabies vectors against rabies infectionJames P McGettigan; Fiscal Year: 2012..goal of this grant application to identify the most promising vector in small animal models [mice (Aim I) and Syrian hamsters, (Aim II)]...
- Evaluation of C. difficile Severity in Epidemiologic Studies &in Animal ModelsLAURIE R ARCHBALD-PANNONE; Fiscal Year: 2012..BI CDAD;and (3) determine the effects of clinically isolated BI strains on disease and mortality in the Syrian hamster model and the effects of purified toxins associated with BI on secretion and histological changes in the ..
- Pubertal Organization of Brain and BehaviorCheryl L Sisk; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed research uses a well-suited laboratory rodent model, the male Syrian hamster, to empirically test the hypothesis that the adolescent transition in social information processing is gonadal ..
- Effects of Clopazine and haloperidol on respondingDanielle Gulick; Fiscal Year: 2010..goals of this proposal are: (A) to begin to understand the factors underlying alcohol consumption in the Syrian golden hamster, an animal model with strong predictive validity for the ability of drugs to decrease alcohol abuse in ..
- Erich R Mackow; Fiscal Year: 2016..ANDV infection of Syrian hamsters is the only animal model of hantavirus disease which closely mimics HPS, resulting in fatal acute pulmonary ..
- Spread of Replicating Adenovirus in Solid TumorsJohn Hay; Fiscal Year: 2009..Recently, it has been reported that the human adenovirus will replicate in the Syrian Hamster making this an ideal model for safety and efficacy evaluation.
- Analysis of a new circadian mutantMichael Menaker; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have discovered a new spontaneous circadian mutation in Syrian hamsters, which confers a robust phenotype on the animals'locomotor rhythmicity...
- Design of CNS-targeted peptide entry inhibitors for emerging henipavirusesAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently, we have successfully prevented and treated NiV infection in golden hamsters. Key to this success is the surprising finding from our biodistributio studies, that a single subcutaneous ..
- Development of genetic tools to study central Avp1b receptorsHEATHER KINGSLEY CALDWELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..and in which vasopressin is known to be important to the neural regulation of social behavior, specifically, Syrian hamsters and prairie voles...
- Design of peptide entry inhibitors and delivery systems to target emerging henipaAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2010..aim 1) will be tested for their ability to protect against infection with HeV and NiV infection in the golden hamster model of acute HeV/NiV infection. Treatment as well as pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis will be addressed...
- Conformational Conversions of Prion ProteinWitold K Surewicz; Fiscal Year: 2013..focused on: (i) determining the conformational structure of proteinase K- resistant form of the recombinant Syrian hamster prion protein, PrPres, obtained by brain PrPSc- templated protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA) ..
- TUMOR CELL SYNTHESIS AND SECRETION OF PEPTIDE HORMONESDavid Orth; Fiscal Year: 1991..Adult Syrian golden hamsters to which a systemic carcinogen, diethylnitrosamine (DEN), is administered will be studied to determine if ..
- BIOMARKERS OF NNK AND NNN METABOLISM IN HUMANSPeter Foiles; Fiscal Year: 1993..NNK induces tumors of the lung, trachea and nasal cavity in Syrian golden hamsters; the lung, nasal cavity, liver an pancreas of F344 rats; and the lung in A.J mice...
- Syrian Hamster as a Permissive Model for Testing Anti-Adenovirus DrugsWilliam Wold; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on these observations, we propose to use CP-immunosuppressed Syrian hamsters as a new animal model to evaluate the efficacy and toxicology of anti-Ad drugs on disseminated Ad infections ..
- BILE ACIDS AND HEPATOCELLULAR SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONBernard Bouscarel; Fiscal Year: 1999..The goal of the first aim proposed by the PI is to define, in the isolated Golden Syrian hamster hepatocyte model, the different pathways involved in the regulation of calcium homeostasis by bile acids...
- Transgenic porphyric Leishmania as suicidal live vaccines against leishmaniasisKwang Poo Chang; Fiscal Year: 2007..vivo data, indicative of protection via this scheme of vaccination against experimental kala-azar in the Syrian Golden hamster model...
- STUDIES ON SPERM FERTILIZING ABILITYBarry Bavister; Fiscal Year: 1993..will use well-defined in vitro fertilization techniques to examine details of the regulatory mechanisms with golden hamster gametes...
- Rapid Screening Method: Gamma-hydroxybutyrate DetectionDeborah Mash; Fiscal Year: 2002..The GHB dehydrogenase of Syrian hamster liver, which has been purified and well characterized, will be used to evaluate the accuracy and reliability ..
- GLUCOSE METABOLISM EFFECTS ON REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIORJILL SCHNEIDER; Fiscal Year: 2000..the caudal brain stem to the hypothalamic neurons suspected to be involved in pulsatile GnRH secretion in Syrian hamsters. Another set of experiments will examine the nature of metabolic signals by comparing the ability of ..
- ROLE OF ETHANOL IN THE ETIOLOGY OF HEAD & NECK CANCERG McCoy; Fiscal Year: 1992..that enhanced metabolic activation of NPYR in target tissues results in enhanced carcinogenicity in Syrian golden hamsters and to critically examine the respective roles of alpha- and Beta-hydroxylation, and denitrosation in the ..
- PREVENTION OF ESTRADIOL-INDUCED TUMORS BY VITAMIN CJOACHIM LIEHR; Fiscal Year: 1991Co-administration of vitamin C to estrogen-treated Syrian hamsters significantly lowered the incidence of estradiol-induced renal tumors...
- NEURAL ANDROGEN RECEPTORS FACILITATING COPULATIONRuth Wood; Fiscal Year: 1999..The Syrian hamster is an appropriate animal model for these studies beacuse the male is dependent upon both chemosensory stimuli ..
- MODULATION OF LIVER FLUKE-ASSOCIATED NEOPLASIANobuyuki Ito; Fiscal Year: 1990..model closely mirroring the disease in man has already been established utilizing the susceptibility of Syrian golden hamsters to Opisthorchis viverrini and chemical carcinogens...
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF THE SENSORY SYSTEMJames Rose; Fiscal Year: 1993..response to lumbosacral tactile stimulation, by effects of estradiol and progesterone on the brain in female golden hamsters. Previous research has shown the lordosis- inducing effects of estradiol to be mediated principally through ..
- Hamster Models and Reagents for Biodefense ResearchLynn Soong; Fiscal Year: 2004The Syrian golden hamster is highly susceptible to a variety of intracellular pathogens, and serves as an excellent model for these pathogens' corresponding human diseases...
- GENE MUTATIONS IN ESTROGEN-INDUCED CARCINOGENESISJOACHIM LIEHR; Fiscal Year: 1999As part of our investigation of the mechanism of estradiol-induced renal carcinogenesis in male Syrian hamsters, we have demonstrated that c-fos expression in tumor cells is high and regulated by estrogen binding to its receptor, whereas ..
- ONCOGENES IN CARCINOGEN-INITIATED HAMSTER TUMOR CELLSVicente Notario; Fiscal Year: 1993..system for carcinogenesis which uses chemical and physical carcinogens both in vivo and in vitro to generate Syrian hamster cells with diverse levels of malignant transformation and tumorigenicity...
- Cytokine-Mediated Regulation of CholesterogenesisIshaiahu Shechter; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 1 we will determine the effects of LPS and cytokines on hepatic SQS transcription and mRNA stability in Syrian hamsters fed with different cholesterogenic diets...
- LOCAL MECHANISMS OF ARTERIOLAR CONTROL IN EXERCISEINGRID SARELIUS; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed studies will be undertaken in cremaster muscles of anesthetized Golden hamsters, using local stimulation of groups of muscle fibers underlying only capillaries, and observing remote ..
- Mechanisms of Amphetamine Action on Dopaminergic SignalingPAUL GARRIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The first aim will compare the stimulant effects of amphetamine in rats and Syrian hamsters. While separate studies suggest that Syrian hamsters are less sensitive to amphetamine than other rodents ..
- INVESTIGATIONS INTO SELECTIVITY AND MONITORING SYSTEMSChristopher Benz; Fiscal Year: 1990..T47-D, pancreas MiaPaCa; colon HCT8), and two cultured rodent tumor lines ( rat pancreatic AR42j and Syrian golden hamster melanoma) both of which can be carried as implanted rodent tumors for concurrent in vivo study...
- CELLULAR METABOLISM OF AMYLOID PROTEINS IN AGINGBarbara Schreiber; Fiscal Year: 1999..The model of spontaneous AA amyloidosis in aging female golden Syrian hamsters is ideally suited for analysis of amyloidogenic factors in the absence of confounding factors due to the ..
- OXYGEN AFFINITY AND OXYGEN TRANSPORT IN STRIATED MUSCLEMary Ellsworth; Fiscal Year: 1992..Experiments will be performed on the cheek pouch retractor muscle of the golden hamster. Oxygen affinity will be determined by the position of the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve assessed by ..
- CLONING OF THE HAMSTER TGF-ALPHA 3'UNTRANSLATED REGIONTAO CHIANG; Fiscal Year: 1991..We have recently cloned the DNA sequence encoding the mature TGF-alpha peptide as well as the 5'UTR from the Syrian hamster. Furthermore, we have found that the hamster TGF-alpha 3'UTR is about 1-kb larger than that of human and rat...
- FUNCTION OF THE PCPH ONCOGENE IN MAMM;CARCINOGENESISVicente Notario; Fiscal Year: 2007..on the basis of its frequent detection as an activated oncogene (mt-PCPH) in chemically initiated, tumorigenic Syrian hamster embryo cells...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MICROCIRCULATION IN HYPERTENSIONWILLIAM JOYNER; Fiscal Year: 1990..We have been inbreeding the golden Syrian hamster (Mesecricetus auratus) and we find that strains characterized by their phenotypic traits develop (8-12 wks) ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF THE MAMMALIAN VISUAL SYSTEMDOUGLAS FROST; Fiscal Year: 1990..projections to auditory or somatosensory thalamic nuclei can be reliably produced by neurosurgery on newborn Syrian hamsters. Neurophysiological recording and the 2-deoxyglucose metabolic mapping techniques will be used to determine ..
- PGE2, G PROTEINS, AND INSULIN SECRETIONElizabeth Seaquist; Fiscal Year: 1993..aims of the investigation are (1) to examine eicosanoid production in HIT cells and in islets isolated form Syrian hamsters and humans; (2) to determine whether cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase inhibitors positively and negatively ..
- Hantavirus pathogenesis and preventionColleen Jonsson; Fiscal Year: 2006..A brief description of the model is as follows: adult Syrian hamsters injected with Andes virus (ANDV) (a hantavirus that causes the majority of HPS cases in South America) ..
- Insulin Signaling in the Anterior PituitaryMARK LAWSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..Studies in animal model systems ranging from Syrian hamsters, rats, ewes and some clinical observations indicate that insulin can suppress pituitary reproductive hormone ..
- INFLUENCE OF PARTICULATES ON OCCUPATIONAL LUNG DISEASEDavid Warshawsky; Fiscal Year: 1992..Male Syrian Golden hamsters (8-9 wk old) are known to be susceptible to the formation of lung tumors by PaP-coated particulates...
- Mechanisms of Cell Death in CardiomyopathyTUAN KUO; Fiscal Year: 2004..3. To study the development of cardiomyopathy in the Syrian hamster. The development of lesion in the myopathic heart will be followed at pre-necrotic- (1 mo), necrotic- (2 mo...
- MOLECULAR DETERMINANTS OF ORAL CARCINOGENESISDavid Wong; Fiscal Year: 1992..This is a five-year research grant application proposing to use the cheek pouch of the Syrian hamster as an experimental model for the molecular study of oral carcinogenesis...
- Mechanisms of Stress-Induced Changes in BehaviorMatthew Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2006..In male Syrian hamsters, a single social defeat produces a prolonged reduction in territorial aggression and a concomitant rise in ..
- AMELIORATION OF ORAL MUCOSITIS IN ANIMAL MODELSJohn Haley; Fiscal Year: 2000..In Phase I we developed a robust animal model for radiation and combined chemotherapy/radiation in the Golden Syrian hamster. These models employed a fractionated radiation regimen to induce significant mucositis with little mortality ..
- PERIPHERAL GUSTATORY PROCESSINGMARION ELIZABETH FRANK; Fiscal Year: 2010..3 integrated behavioral, neurophysiological and genetic studies are proposed on golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and laboratory mice aimed at delineating the functioning of their sweet (attracting) and bitter (avoiding) ..
- MODULATION OF APOLIPOPROTEIN C-III EXPRESSIONPatent Number: EP3002007-A1; Date:2016-04-06
- CELL DIFFERENTIATION MARKER AND ITS USESPatent Number: WO2015059044-A2; Date:2015-04-30
- Electrical conductors and devices from prion-like proteinsPatent Number: WO2005118633-A2; Date:2005-12-15
- Prion proteins and their usesPatent Number: WO0183747-A2; Date:2001-11-08
- Modulators of the constitutive androstane receptor (car): screening and treatment of hypercholesterolemiaPatent Number: WO0151045-A2; Date:2001-07-19
- Recombinant prion-like genes and proteins and materials and methods comprising samePatent Number: WO0075324-A2; Date:2000-12-14
- Differential Expression Profiling Analysis of Cell Culture Phenotypes and the Uses ThereofPatent Number: JP2009534036-A; Date:2009-09-24
- Inhibitor and enhancer of DNA uptake via endocytosis, virus infection inhibitor, virus infection prophylactic agent and virus infection enhancer, and gene marker, monoclonal antibody, hybridoma and use thereofPatent Number: JP2008253188-A; Date:2008-10-23
- Vaccine and Immunity methodPatent Number: JP2008201674-A; Date:2008-09-04
- Constitutively Desensitized G Protein-Coupled ReceptorsPatent Number: JP2004524834-A; Date:2004-08-19
- Method for the detection of animal species and primers for the detection of animal speciesPatent Number: JP2007209281-A; Date:2007-08-23
- Medicine for treatment of ureteral stonePatent Number: WO2007060974-A; Date:2007-05-31
- Vaccine and Immunity methodPatent Number: WO2006129658-A; Date:2006-12-07
- No title suppliedPatent Number: WO2006025879-A2; Date:2006-03-09
- Differential expression profiling analysis of cell culture phenotypes and the uses thereofPatent Number: WO2008054514-A2; Date:2008-05-08
- Modulation of apolipoprotein C-III expressionPatent Number: EP2441449-A1; Date:2012-04-18
- Oligonucleotide arrays to monitor gene expression and methods for making and using samePatent Number: WO2005111246-A1; Date:2005-11-24
- POLYNUCLEOTIDE, POLYPEPTIDE, ANIMAL MODEL AND METHOD FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMPLEMENT SYSTEM MODULATORSPatent Number: WO2013020951-A1; Date:2013-02-14
- Use of cpg nucleic acids in prion-diseasePatent Number: WO2004007743-A2; Date:2004-01-22
- Inter LINE (long interspersed elements) PCRPatent Number: EP0744469-A2; Date:1996-11-27
- OLIGONUCLEOTIDES AND THEIR USE IN AN ASSAY FOR ENCEPHALOPATHIESPatent Number: WO9304198-A1; Date:1993-03-04
- Method for Preparing Mutant ProteinPatent Number: JP2011046698-A; Date:2011-03-10
- Proteins associated with abiotic stress response and homologsPatent Number: EP2221382-A2; Date:2010-08-25
- Process for the control of production of fine chemicalsPatent Number: EP2199304-A1; Date:2010-06-23
- Process for the production of luteinPatent Number: EP2096177-A2; Date:2009-09-02
- Airway specific trypsin like protease and method of utilization thereofPatent Number: WO2002018562-A; Date:2002-03-07
- Dioxin receptor gene and utilization thereofPatent Number: JP2001078782-A; Date:2001-03-27
- Differential expression profiling analysis of cell culture phenotypes and uses thereofPatent Number: WO2008157299-A1; Date:2008-12-24