Genomes and Genes
Alias: Pediococcus Balcke 1884 (sic), Pediococcus Claussen 1903
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Characterisation of prototype Nurmi cultures using culture-based microbiological techniques and PCR-DGGESinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
Int J Food Microbiol 110:268-77. 2006..species from the genera Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, Clostridium, Escherichia, Pediococcus and Enterobacterium as well as members of the genera, Actinomyces, Bacteroides, Propionibacterium, ..
- Beer spoilage bacteria and hop resistanceKanta Sakamoto
Fundamental Research Laboratory, Asahi Breweries, Ltd 1 21, Midori 1 chome, Moriya shi, Ibaraki 302 0106, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 89:105-24. 2003..They include some lactic acid bacteria such as Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus lindneri and Pediococcus damnosus, and some Gram-negative bacteria such as Pectinatus cerevisiiphilus, Pectinatus frisingensis and ..
- Genomic organization of lactic acid bacteriaB E Davidson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 70:161-83. 1996..Lactococcus lactis and Streptococcus thermophilus, and members of the genera Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus and Carnobacterium, is reviewed. The genomes contain a chromosome within the size range of 1.8 to 3.4 Mbp...
- The biodiversity of predominant lactic acid bacteria in dolo and pito wort for the production of sorghum beerH Sawadogo-Lingani
Département Technologie Alimentaire IRSAT CNRST, 03 BP 7047, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
J Appl Microbiol 103:765-77. 2007..To quantify and identify the predominant lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in dolo and pito wort processing, and to examine their biodiversity at strain level...
- The effect of probiotics and organic acids on Shiga-toxin 2 gene expression in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7Christine M Carey
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph Food Research Center, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 5C9
J Microbiol Methods 73:125-32. 2008..Thus, the effect of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Bifidobacterium strains on stx2A expression levels in STEC was investigated...
- Control of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in corn silage with or without various inoculants: efficacy and mode of actionA F Pedroso
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32606, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:1098-104. 2010..coli O157:H7 (EC); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus and Propionibacterium freudenreichii (EC+BII); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri (EC+..
- Characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from a Thai low-salt fermented fish product and the role of garlic as substrate for fermentationC Paludan-Müller
Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Department of Seafood Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Int J Food Microbiol 46:219-29. 1999..In addition, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus pentosus and Pediococcus pentosaceus were isolated from raw materials...
- The development of lactic acid bacteria and Lactobacillus buchneri and their effects on the fermentation of alfalfa silageR J Schmidt
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:5005-10. 2009..buchneri 40788 (4 x 10(5) cfu/g) and Pediococcus pentosaceus (1 x 10(5) cfu/g; LBPP)...
- Purification, characterization, and primary structure of a novel cell wall hydrolytic amidase, CwhA, from Achromobacter lyticusS Li
Division of Protein Chemistry, Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biochem 127:1033-9. 2000..Escherichia coli more efficiently than Micrococcus luteus, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecalis, and Pediococcus acidilactici...
- Characterization of anti-Listeria bacteriocins isolated from shellfish: potential antimicrobials to control non-fermented seafoodAna Luísa Pinto
Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, R Dr Antonio Bernardino de Almeida, Porto, Portugal
Int J Food Microbiol 129:50-8. 2009..using genus- and species-specific primers, and confirmed by 16S rDNA sequencing, as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus...
- [Microbiological and clinical studies of vancomycin resistant Leuconostoc spp. and Pediococcus spp. isolated from septicemia patients]K Kikuchi
Department of Medicine, Tokyo Women's Medical College
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:1084-92. 1994..and Pediococcus spp...
- Lactobacillus plantarum gene clusters encoding putative cell-surface protein complexes for carbohydrate utilization are conserved in specific gram-positive bacteriaRoland Siezen
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences WCFS, Wageningen, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 7:126. 2006....
- Identification and characterization of two bacteriocin-producing bacteria isolated from garlic and ginger rootM E Janes
Department of Food Science, Center for Food Safety and Quality IFSE, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 62:899-904. 1999..Lactocin GI3 had a broader spectrum, inhibiting Bacillus, Clostridium, Listeria, Enterococcus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, and Staphylococcus species...
- Species diversity and relative abundance of vaginal lactic acid bacteria from women in Uganda and KoreaL Jin
Department of Oral Biology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1107-15. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the species richness and relative abundance of Lactobacillus and other lactic acid bacteria in women of two geographically distant countries, Uganda and Korea...
- Microbial diversity of traditional Vietnamese alcohol fermentation starters (banh men) as determined by PCR-mediated DGGEVu Nguyen Thanh
Department of Microbiology, Food Industries Research Institute, 301 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan, Hanoi, Vietnam
Int J Food Microbiol 128:268-73. 2008..The most frequent LAB were Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, L. brevis, Weissella confusa, and W. paramesenteroides...
- Modelling the effect of high pressure on the inactivation kinetics of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus in phosphate buffer and gilt-head seabream (Sparus aurata)E Z Panagou
Institute of Technology of Agricultural Products, National Agricultural Research Foundation, Lycovrissi, Greece
J Appl Microbiol 102:1499-507. 2007The aim of this research was to: (i) determine the inactivation pattern of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus by high hydrostatic pressure in phosphate buffer (pH 6...
- Characterisation and transferability of antibiotic resistance genes from lactic acid bacteria isolated from Irish pork and beef abattoirsNiamh Toomey
Department of Food Safety, Ashtown Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Res Microbiol 161:127-35. 2010..Enterococcus faecalis strains were susceptible to vancomycin. L. plantarum, L. mesenteroides and Pediococcus pentosaceus were intrinsically resistant to vancomycin...
- The in vitro activity of daptomycin against 514 Gram-positive aerobic clinical isolatesA King
Department of Infection, KCL, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:219-23. 2001..Lactococcus spp., Leuconostoc spp., Pediococcus spp. and isolates of Enterococcus casseliflavus and Enterococcus gallinarum, daptomycin MICs were 0...
- Biodiversity of the microbial community in a Spanish farmhouse cheese as revealed by culture-dependent and culture-independent methodsHikmate Abriouel
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Fuentenueva s n, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 127:200-8. 2008..plantarum and Lb. brevis. Other lactic-acid bacteria identified were Pediococcus urinaequi, Leuconostoc pseudomesenteroides, Leuc...
- Screening and selection of lactic acid bacteria strains suitable for ensiling grassE Saarisalo
Animal Production Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Jokioinen, Finland
J Appl Microbiol 102:327-36. 2007..The strains capable of rapidly lowering the pH of the grass matrix and with low proteolytic activity were assessed in laboratory-scale silos in a grass matrix containing natural microbial flora...
- Exploitation of Acha (Digitaria exiliis) and Iburu (Digitaria iburua) flours: chemical characterization and their use for sourdough fermentationRossana Coda
Department of Biologia e Chimica Agro Forestale ed Ambientale, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:1043-50. 2010..100±20 mg/kg). Pediococcus pentosaceus was the dominant species in both the flours...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of a probiotic containing Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, and Pediococcus strains in promoting broiler performance and modulating cecal microflora composition and metabolic activitiesK C Mountzouris
Department of Animal Nutrition, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 11855, Greece
Poult Sci 86:309-17. 2007..The probiotic contained 2 Lactobacillus strains, 1 Bifidobacterium strain, 1 Enterococcus strain, and 1 Pediococcus strain. Four hundred 1-d-old male Cobb broilers were allocated in 4 experimental treatments for 6 wk...
- Effect of applying molasses or inoculants containing homofermentative or heterofermentative bacteria at two rates on the fermentation and aerobic stability of corn silageC M Huisden
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:690-7. 2009..Buchneri 500 was applied at the recommended rate of 8 mg/kg fresh forage to supply 1 x 10(5) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus 12455 and 4 x 10(5) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 (BB) or at twice the recommended rate (..
- Effects of orally administered probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the small and large intestine of weaning piglets. A qualitative and quantitative micro-anatomical studyA Di Giancamillo
Department of Veterinary Sciences and Technologies for Food Safety, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Histol Histopathol 23:651-64. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation with the probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the piglet intestine, on circulating lymphocytes, and on aspects of piglet performance during ..
- Taxonomic structure and monitoring of the dominant population of lactic acid bacteria during wheat flour sourdough type I propagation using Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis startersSonya Siragusa
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1099-109. 2009..lactis, Pediococcus pentosaceus, and Lactobacillus spp. as the dominant species of the raw wheat flour...
- Oligonucleotide microarrays for the detection and identification of viable beer spoilage bacteriaD G Weber
Institute of Technical Microbiology, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 105:951-62. 2008..These belong to the species of the genera Lactobacillus, Megasphaera, Pediococcus and Pectinatus.
- Influence of Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickensS H Lee
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, USDA ARS, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Poult Sci 86:63-6. 2007..supplements can influence host immunity against enteric diseases prompted us to investigate the role of a Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickens...
- Effect of culture conditions on production of butter flavor compounds by Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus acidophilus in semisolid maize-based culturesM L Escamilla-Hurtado
Dept Biotecnología, Univ Autonoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Ap P 55 535, Deleg Iztapalapa, C P 09340, Mexico City, D F, Mexico
Int J Food Microbiol 105:305-16. 2005Two series of 120 h mixed cultures of Pediococcus pentosaceus MITJ-10 and Lactobacillus acidophilus Hansen 1748 were grown in semisolid maize-based media, applying an orthogonal factorial design in order to establish the most adequate ..
- Antimicrobial activity of Enterococcus faecium L50, a strain producing enterocins L50 (L50A and L50B), P and Q, against beer-spoilage lactic acid bacteria in broth, wort (hopped and unhopped), and alcoholic and non-alcoholic lager beersAntonio Basanta
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 125:293-307. 2008..e., Lactobacillus brevis and Pediococcus damnosus), which is mainly due to the production of EntL50 (EntL50A and EntL50B)...
- Study of the micro-organisms associated with the fermented bread (khamir) produced from sorghum in Gizan region, Saudi ArabiaM A Gassem
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agriculture, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Appl Microbiol 86:221-5. 1999..The microorganisms, which were isolated and characterized during the 24 h fermentation, included: bacteria (Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus brevis, Lact. lactis subsp. lactis, Lact. cellobiosus, Klebsiella oxytoca, Kl...
- Assessment of the effects of Nurmi-type cultures and a defined probiotic preparation on a Salmonella typhimurium 29E challenge in vivoSinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland Ltd, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
J Food Prot 68:1222-7. 2005..culture (NTC), cultured cecal contents, and a dual-strain probiotic, containing Enterococcus faecalis and Pediococcus pentosaceus, on Salmonella Typhimurium colonization were evaluated in a specific-pathogen-free bird model...
- Nucleotide sequence, structural organization and host range of pRS4, a small cryptic Pediococcus pentosaceus plasmid that contains two cassettes commonly found in other lactic acid bacteriaM Teresa Alegre
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Escuela Politecnica Superior, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 27002 Lugo, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Lett 250:151-6. 2005The complete nucleotide sequence of the cryptic plasmid pRS4 (3550 bp) from Pediococcus pentosaceus RS4 was determined. Sequence analysis revealed the presence of three open reading frames (ORFs)...
- Partial characterization of bacteriocins produced by human Lactococcus lactis and Pediococccus acidilactici isolatesM Millette
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Research Laboratories in Sciences Applied to Food, Canadian Irradiation Centre, 531, boulevard des Prairies, Laval, Quebec, Canada, H7V 1B7
J Appl Microbiol 102:274-82. 2007..The aim of this study was to isolate bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) from human intestine...
- Production of active pediocin PA-1 in Escherichia coli using a thioredoxin gene fusion expression approach: cloning, expression, purification, and characterizationLucie Beaulieu
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council, 6100 Royalmount Avenue, Montreal, QC 4P 2R2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 53:1246-58. 2007..a 4- to 5-fold increase in production yield was obtained, by comparison with the PA-1 produced naturally by Pediococcus acidilactici PAC 1.0...
- Robustness of Lactobacillus plantarum starters during daily propagation of wheat flour sourdough type IFabio Minervini
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:897-908. 2010..plantarum emerged. All emerging strains of L. plantarum showed different RAPD-PCR profiles. L. rossiae and Pediococcus pentosaceus were only found in the control and sourdough started with strain 12H1...
- New consensus guidelines from the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of infrequently isolated or fastidious bacteriaJames H Jorgensen
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:280-6. 2007..the instrinsically vancomycin-resistant gram-positive organisms Erysipelothrix, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species...
- Biofilm formation in an ice cream plantGulten Tiryaki Gunduz
Food Engineering Department, Ege University, 35100, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 89:329-36. 2006..plant included Staphyloccus, Bacillus, Listeria and lactic acid bacteria such as Streptococcus, Leuconostoc or Pediococcus spp...
- Isolation and identification of tetracycline resistant lactic acid bacteria from pre-packed sliced meat productsD Gevers
Department of Biochemistry, Physiology and Microbiology, University of Gent, Belgium
Syst Appl Microbiol 23:279-84. 2000..with whole-cell protein profiling revealed that the total strain set represented four different species: Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus sakei subsp. carnosus and Lactobacillus curvatus...
- Short communication: An evaluation of the effectiveness of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 to alter fermentation and improve the aerobic stability of corn silage in farm silosL J Mari
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:1174-6. 2009..buchneri 40788 alone or this organism combined with Pediococcus pentosaceus during May and June 2007...
- Exploring the use of natural antimicrobial agents and pulsed electric fields to control spoilage bacteria during a beer production processM A Galvagno
Laboratório de Microbiologia Industrial, Departamento de Ingenieria Quimica, Facultad de Ingenieria, Pabellón de Industrias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria 1428, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 39:170-6. 2007..The addition of 0.0002 mg/ml nisin, 0.1 mg/ml chitosan or 0.3 mg/ml hops, selectively inhibited growth of Pediococcus sp. in more than 10,000 times with respect to brewing yeast in a mixed culture. In the presence of 0...
- Quinupristin-dalfopristin resistance among gram-positive bacteria in TaiwanK T Luh
Departments of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medical Technology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:3374-80. 2000..100%), Lactobacillus spp. (50%), and Pediococcus spp. (87%). All isolates of MSSA, MRSA, S...
- A survey of the microbial and chemical composition of seven semi-ripened Provola dei Nebrodi Sicilian cheesesT Cronin
Teagasc, Biotechnology Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
J Appl Microbiol 103:1128-39. 2007....
- Characterization and antimicrobial spectrum of bifidocin B, a bacteriocin produced by Bifidobacterium bifidum NCFB 1454Z Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 61:47-51. 1998..pathogens and food spoilage bacteria such as Listeria, Enterococcus, Bacillus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species but was not active against the other gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria tested...
- Genetic and biochemical characterization of the Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis bacteriophage LL-H lysinA Vasala
Department of Genetics, University of Oulu, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 61:4004-11. 1995..delbrueckii, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus helveticus, and Pediococcus damnosus cell walls...
- Identification of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Tarhana, a traditional Turkish fermented foodIlkin Yucel Sengun
Department of Food Engineering, Food Microbiology Section, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ege, Turkey
Int J Food Microbiol 135:105-11. 2009..b>Pediococcus acidilactici were found to constitute 27% of the isolates, 19% were identified as Streptococcus thermophilus, ..
- Interactions of nisin and pediocin PA-1 with closely related lactic acid bacteria that manifest over 100-fold differences in bacteriocin sensitivityM H Bennik
Agrotechnological Research Institute ATO DLO, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 63:3628-36. 1997..sake DSM20497 and Pediococcus dextrinicus and Pediococcus pentosaccus...
- Isolation and characterization of pediocin AcH chimeric protein mutants with altered bactericidal activityK W Miller
Departments of Molecular Biology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming 82071, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1997-2005. 1998..plantarum NCDO955, Listeria innocua Lin11, Enterococcus faecalis M1, Pediococcus acidilactici LB42, and Leuconostoc mesenteroides Ly...
- Transport of glycerol by Pediococcus pentosaceus isolated from wineSergio E Pasteris
Facultad de Bioquimica, Quimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Tucuman, Argentina
Food Microbiol 25:545-9. 2008b>Pediococcus pentosaceus N(5)p is a strain isolated from wine that uses glycerol as its sole carbon source, mainly via the glycerol kinase pathway. The transport of glycerol was investigated in resting cells of this strain...
- Development of innovative pediocin PA-1 by DNA shuffling among class IIa bacteriocinsTatsuya Tominaga
Saitama Industrial Technology Center North Institute, 2 133 Suehiro, Kumagaya, Saitama 360 0031, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5292-9. 2007..Furthermore, the active shuffled mutants showed increased activity against various species of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Carnobacterium...
- Susceptibility of Pediococcus isolates to antimicrobial compounds in relation to hop-resistance and beer-spoilageMonique Haakensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Room 2841 Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W8, Canada
BMC Microbiol 9:190. 2009..microbiology and as potential pathogens in immuno-compromised humans, bacterial isolates belonging to the genus Pediococcus are best known for their association with contamination of ethanol fermentation processes (beer, wine, or fuel ..
- Inactivation of oenological lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus) by wine phenolic compoundsA Garcia-Ruiz
Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales CSIC, Juan de la Cierva, Madrid, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 107:1042-53. 2009To investigate the inactivation properties of different classes of phenolic compounds present in wine against two wine isolates of Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus, and to explore their inactivation mechanism.
- A non-pediocin low molecular weight antimicrobial peptide produced by Pediococcus pentosaceus strain IE-3 shows increased activity under reducing environmentPradip K Singh
MTCC and Gene Bank, CSIR Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector 39A, 160036, Chandigarh, India
BMC Microbiol 14:226. 2014Species of the genus Pediococcus are known to produce antimicrobial peptides such as pediocin-like bacteriocins that contain YGNGVXC as a conserved motif at their N-terminus...
- Characterization of the phenolic fraction from Argentine wine and its effect on viability and polysaccharide production of Pediococcus pentosaceusMaría Gilda Stivala
Facultad de Bioquimica, Quimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Ayacucho 491, 4000, San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Biotechnol Lett 37:2435-44. 2015..characterize a low molecular weight phenolic fraction (LMF) of Malbec wine from Cafayate, Argentina, and evaluate its effect on viability and exopolysaccharide production of Pediococcus pentosaceus 12p, a wine spoilage bacterium.
- Antibiotic resistance of lactic acid bacteria isolated from dry-fermented sausagesMaria João Fraqueza
CIISA, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Lisbon, Avenida da Universidade Tecnica, Pólo Universitário do Alto da Ajuda, 1300 477 Lisbon, Portugal Electronic address
Int J Food Microbiol 212:76-88. 2015..The most relevant fermentative microbiota is lactic acid bacteria (LAB) such as Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and Enterococcus, producing mainly lactate and contributing to product preservation...
- Purification and mass spectrometry based characterization of a pediocin produced by Pediococcus acidilactici 13Evrim Gunes Altuntas
Central Laboratory, Biotechnology Institute, Ankara University, 06110, Tandogan, Ankara, Turkey
Mol Biol Rep 41:6879-85. 2014..method to purify/concentrate the antimicrobial peptide and characterization of the bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus acidilactici 13 by using proteomic approaches which is a recent omic technology...
- Study of the physicochemical and biological stability of pediocin PA-1 in the upper gastrointestinal tract conditions using a dynamic in vitro modelE Kheadr
STELA Dairy Research Center, Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Institute, Pavillon des Services, University of Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
J Appl Microbiol 109:54-64. 2010To evaluate the survival of Pediococcus acidilactici UL5 and its ability to produce pediocin PA-1 during transit in an artificial gastrointestinal tract (GIT)...
- Probiotics: a comprehensive approach toward health foodsMonika Sharma
a Food Grains and Oilseeds Processing Division, Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana, India
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 54:537-52. 2014..A number of genera of bacteria (and yeast) are used as probiotics, including Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, Bifidobacterium, Saccharomyces, and Enterococcus, but the main species believed to have probiotic ..
- Pelagic fish hydrolysates as peptones for bacterial culture mediaLucie Beaulieu
Department of Biology, Chemistry and Geography, Université du Québec à Rimouski UQAR, 300 Allee des Ursulines, Rimouski, QC G5L 3A1, Canada
Can J Microbiol 55:1240-9. 2009..Finally, the inhibition of Listeria innocua by LAB bacteriocins was evaluated. Results obtained for Pediococcus acidilactici demonstrated high activities for each medium studied...
- Beta-1,3-glucanase from Delftia tsuruhatensis strain MV01 and its potential application in vinificationV Blättel
Institute of Microbiology and Wine Research, Johann Joachim Becherweg 15, 55128 Mainz, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:983-90. 2011During vinification microbial activities can spoil wine quality. As the wine-related lactic acid bacterium Pediococcus parvulus is able to produce slimes consisting of a β-1,3-glucan, must and wine filtration can be difficult or ..
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of microflora from ovine cheeseV Kmet
Institute of Animal Physiology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 040 01, Kosice, Slovakia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 57:291-3. 2012..helveticus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactococcus lactis, Pediococcus pentosaceus and Pediococcus acidilactici...
- Spherical lactic acid bacteria activate plasmacytoid dendritic cells immunomodulatory function via TLR9-dependent crosstalk with myeloid dendritic cellsKenta Jounai
Central Laboratories for Frontier Technology, Kirin Holdings Co, Ltd, Kanazawa, Yokohama, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e32588. 2012..bacillary strains, but were observed in certain spherical species (Lactococcus, Leuconostoc, Streptococcus and Pediococcus), which was correlated with their capacity for uptake by pDC. Detailed study of Lactococcus lactis subsp...
- Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Italian ryegrass silageMasanori Tohno
National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Nasushiobara, Tochigi, Japan
Anim Sci J 83:111-20. 2012..plantarum, Lactobacillus sakei subsp. carnosus, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. dextranicum and Pediococcus parvulus. This is the first report to elucidate the presence of Lactobacillus coryniformis ssp...
- Effect of a dual-purpose inoculant on the quality and nutrient losses from corn silage produced in farm-scale silosO C M Queiroz
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Dairy Sci 95:3354-62. 2012..at 34% dry matter (DM) and treated without (control) or with 5 × 10⁵ cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri and Pediococcus pentosaceus...
- Analysis of microflora profile in Korean traditional nurukSang Hoon Song
CJ Foods R and D, CJ CheilJedang, Seoul 152 051, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 23:40-6. 2013..There were various species of lactic acid bacteria such as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus in nuruk...
- Fast identification of wine related lactic acid bacteria by multiplex PCRA Petri
Institute of Microbiology and Wine Research, Johannes Gutenberg University, 55128 Mainz, Germany
Food Microbiol 33:48-54. 2013..buchneri, Lb. curvatus, Lb. hilgardii, Lb. plantarum, Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Oenococcus oeni, Pediococcus acidilactici, P. damnosus, P. inopinatus, P. parvulus, P. pentosaceus and Weissella paramesenteroides.
- Functional properties of selected starter cultures for sour maize breadMojisola O Edema
Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Sciences, University of Agriculture, P M B 2240, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Food Microbiol 25:616-25. 2008..The organisms previously identified as Lactobacillus plantarum, Lb. brevis, Lb. fermentum, Lb. acidophilus, Pediococcus acidilactici, Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Leuconostoc dextranicum and Saccharomyces cerevisiae were used ..
- Genotypic and phenotypic diversity of Pediococcus pentosaceus strains isolated from food matrices and characterisation of the penocin operonMaria Elena Martino
Department of Comparative Biomedicine and Food Science, University of Padova, 35020, Legnaro, Italy
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 103:1149-63. 2013Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are widely used in the food industry. Pediococcus spp. belong to the LAB group and include several species that are essential for the quality of fermented food...
- Spectrum of gram-positive bacteraemia and in vitro activities of daptomycin, linezolid and vancomycin against organisms isolated from cancer patientsKenneth V I Rolston
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Employee Health, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 41:516-20. 2013..against the majority (95%) of vancomycin-resistant organisms, including vancomycin-resistant enterococci, Pediococcus spp. and Leuconostoc spp...
- Influence of lactic acid bacteria on redox status and on proteolytic activity of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) sourdoughsAlessandro Capuani
Technische Universitat Munchen, Lehrstuhl für Technische Mikrobiologie, 85350 Freising, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 165:148-55. 2013..cibaria in comparison to Pediococcus (P.) pentosaceus, which exhibited a lower reducing activity...
- Oral administration of live exopolysaccharide-producing Pediococcus parvulus, but not purified exopolysaccharide, suppressed Enterobacteriaceae without affecting bacterial diversity in ceca of miceCecilia Lindström
Division of Biotechnology, Department of Chemistry, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:5030-7. 2013..An oat-based product fermented by the exopolysaccharide (EPS)-producing organism Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 has been reported to have a bifidogenic effect...
- Morphological changes induced in listeria monocytogenes V7 by a bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus acidilacticiSeok Heo
Department of Applied Biology and Chemistry, Konkuk University, Seoul 143 701, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:663-7. 2007b>Pediococcus acidilactici produces bacteriocin, which kills Listeria monocytogenes. The bactericidal mode of action of the bacteriocin against L. monocytogenes V7 was investigated by transmission electron microscopy...
- An improved and simplified method for the large-scale purification of pediocin PA-1 produced by Pediococcus acidilacticiLucie Beaulieu
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council, 6100 Royalmount Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H4P 2R2
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 43:77-84. 2006The bacteriocin pediocin PA-1 produced by Pediococcus acidilactici PAC 1.0 offers significant potential as a food preservative and as an antimicrobial agent in the medical area...
- Proteolytic activities in togwa, a Tanzanian fermented foodJ K Mugula
Department of Food Science, Agricultural University of Norway, PO Box 5036, N 1432 As, Norway
Int J Food Microbiol 84:1-12. 2003..e., Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus cellobiosus, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Pediococcus pentosaceus, and Issatchenkia orientalis in coculture with either L. brevis or L. plantarum...
- Novel food-grade plasmid vector based on melibiose fermentation for the genetic engineering of Lactococcus lactisIsabelle Boucher
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale GREB, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:6152-61. 2002..When transferred into Lactococcus lactis and Pediococcus acidilactici strains, aga modified the sugar fermentation profile of the strains from melibiose negative (Mel(-)..
- ISLpl1 is a functional IS30-related insertion element in Lactobacillus plantarum that is also found in other lactic acid bacteriaHerve Nicoloff
Laboratoire de Dynamique, Evolution et Expression de Génomes de Micro Organismes, Université Louis Pasteur CNRS FRE 2326, 67083 Strasbourg, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:6032-40. 2003..plantarum strains as well as in Pediococcus strains. The ISLpl1 pattern changed over many generations of the strain L. plantarum NCIMB 1406...
- Environmental factors influencing growth of and exopolysaccharide formation by Pediococcus parvulus 2.6S Velasco
Applied Microbiology, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund University, PO Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Int J Food Microbiol 111:252-8. 2006..In this study, we have examined the physiological capacity of EPS production in Pediococcus parvulus 2.6. EPS formation by P. parvulus 2...
- Optimization of annealing temperature to reduce bias caused by a primer mismatch in multitemplate PCRK Ishii
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Hachiohji, Tokyo 192 0397, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:3753-5. 2001..These templates were generated by PCR from Pediococcus acidilactici for one mismatch and Micrococcus luteus for the perfect match...
- Detection and characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris R isolated from radishZ Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 26:297-304. 1998..Staphylococcus, Listeria, Bacillus, Micrococcus, Enterococcus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Streptococcus and Pediococcus spp., but was not active against any Gram-negative bacteria...
- Detection and speciation of bacteria through PCR using universal major cold-shock protein primer oligomersK P Francis
Department of Applied Biochemistry and Food Science, University of Nottingham, Leicestershire, UK
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 19:286-93. 1997..Citrobacter, Enterobacter, Enterococcus, Escherichia, Klebsiella, Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Listeria, Pediococcus, Photobacterium, Proteus, Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Yersinia...
- Polyphasic taxonomic studies of lactic acid bacteria associated with Tunisian fermented meat based on the heterogeneity of the 16S-23S rRNA gene intergenic spacer regionZouhaier Ben Belgacem
Faculte des Sciences de Tunis, Laboratoire de Biochimie et Biologie Moleculaire, Campus Universitaire El Manar, 2092 Tunis, Tunisie
Arch Microbiol 191:711-20. 2009..operon (S-ISR and L-ISR) for Lactobacilli, and (4) three PCR amplicons (S-ISR, M-ISR, and L-ISR) obtained for Pediococcus spp. and Weissella genus...
- Description of the microflora of sourdoughs by culture-dependent and culture-independent methodsLucilla Iacumin
Dipartimento di Scienze degli Alimenti, Universita Degli Studi di Udine, via Sondrio 2, 33100 Udine, Italy
Food Microbiol 26:128-35. 2009..In this sample, the most prominent isolate was Weisella cibaria (56%), followed by Lb. plantarum (36%) and Pediococcus pentosaceus (8%)...
- Characterization of D-lactate dehydrogenase from Pediococcus acidilactici that converts phenylpyruvic acid into phenyllactic acidWanmeng Mu
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122, Jiangsu, China
Biotechnol Lett 34:907-11. 2012The gene coding for D-lactate dehydrogenase (D-LDH) from Pediococcus acidilactici DSM 20284 was cloned and expressed in E. coli. The recombinant enzyme was purified by nickel-affinity chromatography...
- Characterization of lactic acid bacteria from naturally-fermented Manzanilla Aloreña green table olivesHikmate Abriouel
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Ciencias de la Salud, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Edif B3, Universidad de Jaen, Campus Las Lagunillas s n, 23071 Jaen, Spain
Food Microbiol 32:308-16. 2012..Pediococci were identified as Pediococcus parvulus (SME1) and leuconostocs as Leuconostoc pseudomesenteroides (SME1 and SME4)...
- Effects of pure starter cultures on physico-chemical and sensory quality of dry fermented Chinese-style sausageKrishna P Rai
School of Food Science and Technology, Southern Yangtze University, Wuxi, 214 036 Peoples Republic of China
J Food Sci Technol 47:188-94. 2010..casei-1.001, Pediococcus pentosaceus-ATCC 33316, Staphylococcus xylosus-12 and without starter culture randomly sampled at 0, 3, 10, and ..
- Description of Paralactobacillus selangorensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a new lactic acid bacterium isolated from chili bo, a Malaysian food ingredientJ J Leisner
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 50:19-24. 2000..16S rRNA studies showed that this organism constitutes a new taxon distantly related to the Lactobacillus casei-Pediococcus group...
- Novel extracellular proteolytic activity in Pediococcus acidilactici ATCC 8042Adriana Llorente-Bousquets
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Facultad de Estudios Superiores CuautitlAn, Departamento de Ingeniería y Tecnología, Cuautitlan Izcalli, 54740, Estado de Mexico, Mexico
Can J Microbiol 54:694-9. 2008..are common in lactic acid bacteria, but there are few reports about proteases or peptidases in the genus Pediococcus. To evaluate the presence of these types of enzymes, Pediococcus acidilactici ATCC 8042 was cultured in MRS ..
- Antimicrobial activity of pediocin PA-1 against Oenococcus oeni and other wine bacteriaLorena Diez
University of La Rioja, Instituto de Ciencias de la Vid y del Vino CSIC, Universidad de La Rioja, Gobierno de La Rioja, Departamento de Agricultura y Alimentación, Av Madre de Dios 51, 26006 Logrono, Spain
Food Microbiol 31:167-72. 2012..53 oenological LAB, 18 acetic acid bacteria and 16 yeast strains; in addition, production of pediocin PA-1 by Pediococcus acidilactici J347-29 in presence of ethanol and grape must is also reported...
- Efficient protoplast regeneration for some homofermentative lactobacilli and pediococciO Tanaka
National Agricultural Research Center for Tohoku Region, Akahira, Shimokuriyagawa, Morioka, Iwate 020 0198, Japan
Arch Microbiol 177:36-40. 2001..An agar medium containing PVP (PVP medium) was effective for Pediococcus sp...
- Enzymatic conversion of D-galactose to D-tagatose: cloning, overexpression and characterization of L-arabinose isomerase from Pediococcus pentosaceus PC-5Yan Men
National Engineering Laboratory for Industrial Enzymes, Tianjin Institute of Industrial Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Tianjin 300308, China
Microbiol Res 169:171-8. 2014The gene encoding L-arabinose isomerase from food-grade strain Pediococcus pentosaceus PC-5 was cloned and overexpressed in Escherichia coli. The recombinant protein was purified and characterized...
- Arabinoxylan oligosaccharide hydrolysis by family 43 and 51 glycosidases from Lactobacillus brevis DSM 20054Herbert Michlmayr
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences BOKU, Vienna, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:6747-54. 2013..b>Pediococcus spp., members of the Leuconostoc/Weissella branch, and Enterococcus spp...
- Assessment of probiotic, antifungal and cholesterol lowering properties of Pediococcus pentosaceus KCC-23 isolated from Italian ryegrassSoundharrajan Ilavenil
Grassland and Forage Division, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Seonghwan eup, Cheonan si, Chungnam, 330 801, Republic of Korea
J Sci Food Agric 96:593-601. 2016..Therefore, we planned to isolate and characterise the LAB from Italian ryegrass forage and evaluate their biological potential...
- Short communication: 3-phenyllactic acid production in milk by Pediococcus pentosaceus SK25 during laboratory fermentation processShuhuai Yu
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory of Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biotechnology, and
J Dairy Sci 98:813-7. 2015..A novel lactic acid bacteria strain with high PLA-producing ability, Pediococcus pentosaceus SK25, was isolated from traditional Chinese pickles...
- Assessment of probiotic properties in lactic acid bacteria isolated from wineAlmudena García-Ruiz
Instituto de Investigación en Ciencias de la Alimentación CIAL, CSIC UAM, C Nicolás Cabrera 9, Campus de Cantoblanco, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Food Microbiol 44:220-5. 2014..In this study, the probiotic features of 11 strains of Lactobacillus spp., Pediococcus spp...
- Role of hypermutability in the evolution of the genus OenococcusAngela M Marcobal
Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, One Shields Ave, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Bacteriol 190:564-70. 2008..kitaharae, were higher than those observed for neighboring taxa, Pediococcus pentosaceus and Leuconostoc mesenteroides...
- Cloning, deletion, and characterization of PadR, the transcriptional repressor of the phenolic acid decarboxylase-encoding padA gene of Lactobacillus plantarumJerome Gury
Laboratoire de Microbiologie UMR UB INRA 1232, ENSBANA, Universite de Bourgogne, 21000 Dijon, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2146-53. 2004..was located in the padA locus based on its 52% identity with PadR, the padA gene transcriptional regulator of Pediococcus pentosaceus (L. Barthelmebs, B. Lecomte, C. Diviès, and J.-F. Cavin, J. Bacteriol. 182:6724-6731, 2000)...
- Randomly-amplified microsatellite polymorphism for preliminary typing of lactic acid bacteria from Bryndza CheeseV Chebeňová
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Food Research Institute, Bratislava, Slovakia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 55:598-602. 2010..The method facilitated well reproducible, medium-discrimination typing of Lactobacillus spp. and Pediococcus spp...
- Tyrosine- and histidine-decarboxylase positive lactic acid bacteria and enterococci in dry fermented sausagesT Komprda
Department of Food Technology, Mendel University Brno, Czech Republic
Meat Sci 86:870-7. 2010..5 and 7 cm) using either of two spice mixtures (P; H) and either of two starter cultures (Pediococcus pentosaceus, C; Lactobacillus curvatus+Staphylococcus carnosus, F), resulting in a total of 16 different ..
- High frequency of histamine-producing bacteria in the enological environment and instability of the histidine decarboxylase production phenotypePatrick M Lucas
UMR 1219, INRA Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Talence, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:811-7. 2008..Histamine-producing strains belong to species of the genera Oenococcus, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. All carry an hdcA gene coding for a histidine decarboxylase that converts histidine into histamine...
- Quantitative analysis of the intestinal bacterial community in one- to three-week-old commercially reared broiler chickens fed conventional or antibiotic-free vegetable-based dietsM G Wise
Poultry Microbiological Safety Research Unit, Russell Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Athens, GA 30605, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1138-49. 2007....
- Exploitation of sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.) puree added of stem infusion through fermentation by selected autochthonous lactic acid bacteriaRaffaella di Cagno
Department of Biologia e Chimica Agro Forestale ed Ambientale, University of Bari, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 28:900-9. 2011Strains of Lactobacillus plantarum, Pediococcus acidilactici, Pediococcus pentosaceus and Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp...
- Role of an autochthonous starter culture and the protease EPg222 on the sensory and safety properties of a traditional Iberian dry-fermented sausage "salchichón"Rocío Casquete
Nutricion y Bromatologia, Escuela de Ingenierías Agrarias, Universidad de Extremadura, Ctra de Cáceres s n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Food Microbiol 28:1432-40. 2011..Sausages were prepared with purified EPg222 and Pediococcus acidilactici MS200 and Staphylococcus vitulus RS34 as starter culture (P200S34), separately and together, ..
- Global Mechanisms of Bacteriocin Resistance in ListeriaKurt Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research ultimately will lead to better methods for prevention of food contamination and disease caused by the deadly pathogen, Listeria monocytogenes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HUMAN RETROVIRUS-5 AND ARTHRITISRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identification of a specific infectious agent associated with these arthritides would potentially allo for the development of preventive strategies such as vaccination and novel therapeutic approaches. ..
- Enhancement of antimicrobics by electrical currentRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2007..This novel but simple resistance reversing strategy may generalize to a wide variety of antimicrobics and microorganisms and a wide variety of biofilm-associated human infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Detection of Biofilm Bacteria using GloBacRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2008..The goal of the proposed studies is to develop a rapid test for detection of bacteria on artificial joints that can be used in the operating room to diagnose infected artificial joints. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..