A Drosophila Model Linking Diet-induced Obesity and Cancer (PQ 1)
Principal Investigator: ROSS LEIGH CAGAN
Abstract: DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Epidemiological studies have demonstrated that increased cancer risk is associated with obesity, but the underlying mechanism remains poorly understood. We have recently developed a Drosophila model of obesity;raising Drosophila on a diet high in carbohydrates led to metabolic dysfunction including hyperglycemia, insulin-resistance and accumulation of fat. Feeding a high dietary sucrose to Ras/Src co- activated Drosophila cancer model developed aggressive tumor with emergent metastasis in a diet-dependent manner. The goal of this Application is to further utilize Drosophila as a useful in situ model to explore mechanistic link between diet-induced obesity and tumor progression.
Funding Period: 2012-08-20 - 2016-05-31
more information: NIH RePORT
- Sin3a acts through a multi-gene module to regulate invasion in Drosophila and human tumorsT K Das
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Oncogene 32:3184-97. 2013..Tumor progression may commonly rely on such 'modules of invasion' under the control of broad transcriptional regulators. ..
- Transformed Drosophila cells evade diet-mediated insulin resistance through wingless signalingSusumu Hirabayashi
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Annenberg 25 40, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1020, New York, NY 10029, USA
Cell 154:664-75. 2013..By targeting multiple steps in this circuit with rationally applied drug combinations, we demonstrate the potential of combinatorial drug intervention to treat diet-enhanced malignant tumors. ..
- MMC, VICC &TSU: Partners in Eliminating Cancer Disparities ( 1 of 3)Steven N Wolff; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF GASTROINTESTINAL CANCERSLopa Mishra; Fiscal Year: 2013..Significantly, this program promises to yield new therapies targeted at these difficult-to-treat lethal cancers at the bench, and then to translate the results rapidly into clinical care, at the bedside. ..
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Basal-like Breast CancerRichard J Baer; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., metastasis, and develop strategies for therapy. ..
- UAB / UMN SPORE in Pancreatic CancerDonald J Buchsbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..The application has strong institutional support from UAB and UMN, excellent pancreatic cancer populations and concurrence with federal guidelines. ..
- Functional Annotation of the Pancreatic Cancer GenomeSteven D Leach; Fiscal Year: 2013..Together, these studies will dramatically accelerate the functional annotation of the pancreatic cancer genome, setting the stage for future therapeutic applications. ..
- Coordinating Center of Excellence in Social Promotion of Health Equity ResearchGLORIA S MCCUTCHEON; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Mechanistic Targets of Steroid Hormones in the BrainMeharvan Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- UNMC EPPLEY CANCER CENTER SUPPORT GRANTKenneth H Cowan; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- DF/HCC Kidney Cancer SPOREDavid McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2013..The overall goal of the DF/HCC Kidney Cancer SPORE is the translation of biological and technological advances into clinically meaningful advances for patients with kidney cancer. ..
- SPORE in Soft Tissue SarcomaSamuel Singer; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- A MULTILEVEL APPROACH TO ENERGY BALANCE AND CANCER ACROSS THE LIFECOURSEGraham A Colditz; Fiscal Year: 2013..To address these aims, we propose four research projects and five cores that form a cohesive, transdisciplinary center focused on research, training/career development, and dissemination. ..
- Penn TREC Survivor CenterKathryn H Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..