Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: isl2a
Description: ISL LIM homeobox 2a
Alias: ISL-2, isl2, wu:fc29g02, zfIsl-2, insulin gene enhancer protein isl-2a, insulin gene enhancer protein isl-2, islet-2, islet-2A, islet2, islet2a
- Delta signaling mediates segregation of neural crest and spinal sensory neurons from zebrafish lateral neural plateR A Cornell
Institute of Neuroscience, Eugene, Oregon 97403, USA uoregon edu
Development 127:2873-82. 2000..Cranial neural crest derivatives are also present in deltaA mutants, revealing a genetic difference in regulation of trunk and cranial neural crest development...
- Presence of isl-1-related LIM domain homeobox genes in teleost and their similar patterns of expression in brain and spinal cordZ Gong
Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:3335-45. 1995..Based on these observations, we speculate that the three structurally related isl genes may play similar roles in cell determination and differentiation in the developing nervous system...
- Notch signaling regulates neural precursor allocation and binary neuronal fate decisions in zebrafishJimann Shin
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
Development 134:1911-20. 2007....
- Position fine-tuning of caudal primary motoneurons in the zebrafish spinal cordMika Sato-Maeda
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Development 135:323-32. 2008..Results suggest that Semaphorin-Neuropilin signaling plays an important role in position fine-tuning of CaP cell bodies to ensure proper exit points of motor axons...
- The Met receptor tyrosine kinase prevents zebrafish primary motoneurons from expressing an incorrect neurotransmitterAlexandra Tallafuss
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Neural Dev 3:18. 2008..Here we test the role of Met in development of motoneurons in embryonic zebrafish...
- Tenascin-C is involved in motor axon outgrowth in the trunk of developing zebrafishJörn Schweitzer
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Hamburg, Germany
Dev Dyn 234:550-66. 2005..We conclude that tenascin-C is part of a specialized extracellular matrix in the region of the horizontal myoseptum that influences the growth of motor axons...
- Neuromuscular synaptogenesis in wild-type and mutant zebrafishJessica A Panzer
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 215 Stemmler Hall, 3610 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6074, USA
Dev Biol 285:340-57. 2005..Identification of the underlying genetic defects in these mutants will extend our understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms that underlie the formation and function of neuromuscular and other synapses...
- Netrin signaling breaks the equivalence between two identified zebrafish motoneurons revealing a new role of intermediate targetsLaura A Hale
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25841. 2011..Here we investigate the molecular basis of the signaling interaction between the intermediate target and the motoneurons...
- Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formationSarah E Cheesman
Institute of Neuroscience, 1254 University of Oregon, Eugene OR, 97403 1254, USA
Development 131:5221-32. 2004..Overexpression of fish or fly Nkx6 is sufficient to generate supernumerary motoneurons in both zebrafish and flies. These results suggest that one ancestral function of Nkx6 proteins was to promote motoneuron development...
- Knockdown of Nav1.6a Na+ channels affects zebrafish motoneuron developmentRicardo H Pineda
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, 8307 University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Development 133:3827-36. 2006..Mosaic analysis indicated that effects on ventrally projecting secondary motoneurons were non cell-autonomous. Thus, voltage-gated Na+ channels play cell-autonomous and non cell-autonomous roles during neuronal development...
- Paraxial mesoderm specifies zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype identityKatharine E Lewis
Institute of Neuroscience, 1254 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Development 131:891-902. 2004..Our findings suggest that in the absence of signals from paraxial mesoderm, primary motoneurons have a hybrid identity with respect to gene expression, and that under these conditions the CaP axon trajectory may be dominant...
- Nkx6 proteins specify one zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype by regulating late islet1 expressionSarah A Hutchinson
Institute of Neuroscience, 1254 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403, USA
Development 134:1671-7. 2007..We suggest that Nkx6 proteins regulate MiP development at least in part by maintaining the islet1 expression that is required both to promote the MiP subtype and to suppress interneuron development...
- Islet1 and Islet2 have equivalent abilities to promote motoneuron formation and to specify motoneuron subtype identitySarah A Hutchinson
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, 97403, USA
Development 133:2137-47. 2006The expression of LIM homeobox genes islet1 and islet2 is tightly regulated during development of zebrafish primary motoneurons. All primary motoneurons express islet1 around the time they exit the cell cycle...
- Zebrafish V2 cells develop into excitatory CiD and Notch signalling dependent inhibitory VeLD interneuronsManuel F Batista
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Anatomy Building, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
Dev Biol 322:263-75. 2008..In addition, we demonstrate that Notch signalling is required for V2 cells to develop into V2b cells. In the absence of Notch signalling, all V2b cells develop as V2a cells...
- Mutations in the stumpy gene reveal intermediate targets for zebrafish motor axonsC E Beattie
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Development 127:2653-62. 2000..These results reveal a series of intermediate targets involved in motor axon guidance and suggest that stumpy function is required for motor axons to progress from proximally located intermediate targets to distally located ones...
- Dynamics of sonic hedgehog signaling in the ventral spinal cord are controlled by intrinsic changes in source cells requiring sulfatase 1Amir Al Oustah
University of Toulouse, Center for Developmental Biology, UMR 5547 CNRS, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse, France
Development 141:1392-403. 2014..Our work, by pointing out the key role of Sulf1 in regulating Shh-dependent neural cell diversity, highlights a novel level of regulation, which involves temporal evolution of Shh source properties. ..
- Motor neuron-derived Thsd7a is essential for zebrafish vascular development via the Notch-dll4 signaling pathwayLawrence Yu Min Liu
Department of Medical Science and Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, 30013, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 23:59. 2016..However, the exact origin of THSD7A and its effect on neurovascular interaction remains unclear...
- Ubr3, a Novel Modulator of Hh Signaling Affects the Degradation of Costal-2 and Kif7 through Poly-ubiquitinationTongchao Li
Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Genet 12:e1006054. 2016..Finally, loss of UBR3 up-regulates Kif7 protein levels and decreases Hh signaling in cultured cells. In summary, our work identifies Ubr3 as a novel, evolutionarily conserved modulator of Hh signaling that boosts Hh in some tissues. ..
- Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryosTing Zhang
College of Fisheries, Key Laboratory of Freshwater Animal Breeding, Ministry of Agriculture, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China Electronic address
Aquat Toxicol 167:68-76. 2015..Moreover, we found that compounds BIO or RA could neutralize the toxic effects of Cd...
- Lhx3 and Lhx4 suppress Kolmer-Agduhr interneuron characteristics within zebrafish axial motoneuronsSteve Seredick
Institute of Neuroscience, 1254 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Development 141:3900-9. 2014..In conjunction with our previous work, these data reveal that distinct transcription factor families are deployed in post-mitotic MNs to unequivocally assign MN fate and suppress the development of alternative pMN-derived IN fates. ..
- The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuronLiesl Van Ryswyk
Institute of Neuroscience, Eugene, Oregon, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e88631. 2014..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- Knockdown of cyclin-dependent kinase 10 (cdk10) gene impairs neural progenitor survival via modulation of raf1a gene expressionChi Wei Yeh
From the Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung City 40201, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 288:27927-39. 2013..This result is similar to that demonstrated by decreased islet2 expression in the dorsal regions...
- Phosphorylation of Dpsyl2 (CRMP2) and Dpsyl3 (CRMP4) is required for positioning of caudal primary motor neurons in the zebrafish spinal cordRii Morimura
Department of Life Science and Medical Bioscience, Waseda University, 2 2 Wakamatsu cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8480, Japan
Dev Neurobiol 73:911-20. 2013..These results suggest that the phosphorylation of Dpysl2 and Dpysl3 by Cdk5 and Dyrk2 is required for correct positioning of CaP motor neurons in the zebrafish spinal cord...
- Knockdown of Lingo1b protein promotes myelination and oligodendrocyte differentiation in zebrafishWu Yin
CAS Key Laboratory of Brain Function and Disease, School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
Exp Neurol 251:72-83. 2014..These results suggested that Lingo1b protein functions as a negative regulator of myelination and oligodendrocyte differentiation during zebrafish development...
- Identification of possible downstream genes required for the extension of peripheral axons in primary sensory neuronsMakoto Aoki
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 445:357-62. 2014The LIM-homeodomain transcription factor Islet2a establishes neuronal identity in the developing nervous system...
- Hedgehog and retinoic acid signaling cooperate to promote motoneurogenesis in zebrafishJohn K Mich
Department of Biochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 138:5113-9. 2011..We also provide evidence that RA pathway activation can modulate Gli function in a Hh ligand-independent manner. These findings support a model in which Hh and RA signaling cooperate to promote PMN cell fates in zebrafish...
- Phox2b expression in the taste centers of fishEva Coppola
Ecole Normale Superieure, Institut de Biologie de l Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris F 75005, France
J Comp Neurol 520:3633-49. 2012....
- The zebrafish sf3b1b460 mutant reveals differential requirements for the sf3b1 pre-mRNA processing gene during neural crest developmentMin An
Department of Neuroscience, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Int J Dev Biol 56:223-37. 2012..Further, the developmental defects caused by the sf3b1(b460) mutation provide insights into genetic interactions among members of the gene regulatory network controlling neural crest development...
- Extensive conservation of ancient microsynteny across metazoans due to cis-regulatory constraintsManuel Irimia
Department of Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Genome Res 22:2356-67. 2012....
- Zebrafish Mnx proteins specify one motoneuron subtype and suppress acquisition of interneuron characteristicsSteve D Seredick
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, USA
Neural Dev 7:35. 2012..Here we investigate the roles of Mnx family transcription factors in specifying the subtypes of individually identified zebrafish primary motoneurons...
- Prdm14 acts upstream of islet2 transcription to regulate axon growth of primary motoneurons in zebrafishChao Liu
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Development 139:4591-600. 2012..Mechanistically, Prdm14 protein binds to the promoter region of islet2, a known transcription factor required for CaP development...
- Scratch2 prevents cell cycle re-entry by repressing miR-25 in postmitotic primary neuronsEva Rodriguez-Aznar
Instituto de Neurociencias, CSIC UMH, San Juan de Alicante 03550, Spain
J Neurosci 33:5095-105. 2013..Thus, Scratch2 appears to safeguard the homeostasis of postmitotic primary neurons by preventing cell cycle re-entry...
- Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas developmentArmin Wilfinger
Institute for Molecular Biology CMBI, University of Innsbruck, Technikerstr 25, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Dev Biol 378:25-37. 2013..We find that isl1 expression in the pancreatic mesenchyme overlaps with that of the related genes isl2a and isl2b and that pancreatic expression of isl-genes is independent of each other...
- The basic helix-loop-helix olig3 establishes the neural plate boundary of the trunk and is necessary for development of the dorsal spinal cordAlida Filippi
Dipartimento di Biologia and Facolta di Psicologia, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Via Ugo Bassi 58 B, I 35121 Padua, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4377-82. 2005..Thus, a proper regulation of the olig gene family is essential for the formation of three cell types (oligodendrocytes, astrocytes, and neural crest) that are unique to vertebrates...
- The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signalingAtsushi Kawakami
Department of Biological Science, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Curr Biol 15:480-8. 2005..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites...
- Oligodendrocyte specification in zebrafish requires notch-regulated cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor functionHae Chul Park
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235 1634, USA
J Neurosci 25:6836-44. 2005....
- PlexinA4 is necessary as a downstream target of Islet2 to mediate Slit signaling for promotion of sensory axon branchingToshio Miyashita
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2 1, Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Development 131:3705-15. 2004..The reason why different neurons respond to Slit in different ways is largely unknown. Islet2 is a LIM/homeodomain-type transcription factor that specifically regulates elongation and branching of the ..
- Hedgehog signaling is directly required for the development of zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neuronsJosette M Ungos
Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7420 USA
Development 130:5351-62. 2003..These results suggest that Hh signaling may normally promote DRG development by regulating expression of ngn1 in DRG precursors...
- The identity and distribution of neural cells expressing the mesodermal determinant spadetailRichard Tamme
Department of Molecular Biosciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
BMC Dev Biol 2:9. 2002..The mechanism(s) generating the apparently irregular rostrocaudal distribution of spt-expressing cells in the developing CNS is unknown...
- The zebrafish unplugged gene controls motor axon pathway selectionJ Zhang
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 127:2099-111. 2000..These data suggest that unplugged defines a somite-derived signal that elicits differential guidance decisions in motor growth cones...
- The zebrafish diwanka gene controls an early step of motor growth cone migrationJ Zeller
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 126:3461-72. 1999....
- alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafishC J Cretekos
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84112, USA
Dev Biol 210:322-38. 1999....
- Expression of c-ret in the zebrafish embryo: potential roles in motoneuronal developmentB W Bisgrove
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
J Neurobiol 33:749-68. 1997..primary (CaP) motoneurons and transcripts can be detected shortly before the expression of the CaP-specific gene, islet2. We suggest that c-ret may play a role in specifying CaP cell identity...
- Temporal separation in the specification of primary and secondary motoneurons in zebrafishC E Beattie
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene 97401, USA
Dev Biol 187:171-82. 1997..These results suggest that both primary and secondary motoneurons are specified by signals from midline tissues, but at very different stages of embryonic development...
- Frizzled 8a function is required for oligodendrocyte development in the zebrafish spinal cordSuhyun Kim
Graduate School of Medicine, Korea University, Ansan, Gyeonggido, Republic of Korea
Dev Dyn 237:3324-31. 2008..In addition, we demonstrate that Wnt signaling activation after the specification of OPCs blocks the formation of mature oligodendrocytes and results in the elimination of OPCs...
- Selective regulation of arterial branching morphogenesis by synectinThomas W Chittenden
Angiogenesis Research Center, Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Dev Cell 10:783-95. 2006..We conclude that synectin is involved in selective regulation of arterial, but not venous, growth and branching morphogenesis and that Rac1 plays an important role in this process...
- Jagged-mediated Notch signaling maintains proliferating neural progenitors and regulates cell diversity in the ventral spinal cordSang Yeob Yeo
Department of Genetic Engineering, Kyungpook National University, 1370 san Kyuk dong, Buk Gu, Daegu 702 701, Republic of Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5913-8. 2007....
- STAT3-dependent pathfinding and control of axonal branching and target selectionGreg Conway
Life Sciences Division, MS239 11, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA
Dev Biol 296:119-36. 2006..These results are consistent with and highlight a fundamental role for STAT3 as a factor promoting cellular responses to guidance cues, not only in nonneural cells but also in pathfinding neurons...
- Novel mutations affecting axon guidance in zebrafish and a role for plexin signalling in the guidance of trigeminal and facial nerve axonsHideomi Tanaka
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, Brain Science Institute, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Development 134:3259-69. 2007....
- Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafishDaniel Liedtke
Department of Physiological Chemistry I, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Dev Dyn 237:62-74. 2008..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesisMasanari Takamiya
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, D 50923 Cologne, Germany
Dev Dyn 235:978-97. 2006..Such differences seem to be created in part by regional effector signalling; the effects of high Hh-signalling on medial neurogenesis can be reversed in accordance to medial Tri/Stbm level, in a polarity independent manner...
- Dynamic expression patterns of zebrafish 1G5 (1G5z), a calmodulin kinase-like gene in the developing nervous systemMinho Won
Department of Biology, School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University, South Korea
Dev Dyn 235:835-42. 2006..In addition, bromodeoxyuridine staining further confirmed that the 1G5z-positive cells were postmitotic sensory and interneurons...
- Neuropilin-1a is involved in trunk motor axon outgrowth in embryonic zebrafishJulia Feldner
Zentrum fur Molekulare Neurobiologie Hamburg, Universitat Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Dev Dyn 234:535-49. 2005..Thus, neuropilin-1a in primary motor neurons may integrate signals from several ligands and is needed for proper segmental growth of primary motor nerves in zebrafish...
- Selenoprotein N is required for ryanodine receptor calcium release channel activity in human and zebrafish muscleMichael J Jurynec
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12485-90. 2008....
- Discontinuous organization and specification of the lateral floor plate in zebrafishMatthias Schafer
Department of Physiological Chemistry I, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wurzburg, Germany
Dev Biol 301:117-29. 2007..We conclude that different levels of HH and Nkx2.2 activities are responsible for the alternating appearance of LFP and p3 neuronal progenitor cells in the zebrafish ventral neural tube...
- Hgf/c-met expression and functional analysis during zebrafish embryogenesisAndrew J Latimer
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Dev Dyn 237:3904-15. 2008..Later, c-met is expressed in kidney, islet2-positive neurons, and liver...
- Neuroepithelial cells require fucosylated glycans to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors in the developing zebrafish hindbrainShinya Ohata
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Saitama, Japan
Development 136:1653-63. 2009..Together, these findings suggest that fucosylated glycans expressed in neuroepithelial cells are required to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors...
- Labeled microRNA pull-down assay system: an experimental approach for high-throughput identification of microRNA-target mRNAsRen Jun Hsu
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Nucleic Acids Res 37:e77. 2009..elegans and zebrafish, yielding fewer false positive results than those produced by using only the bioinformatics approach...
- Differential expression and regulation of olig genes in zebrafishNatascia Tiso
Department of Biology, University of Padova, I 35131 Padova, Italy
J Comp Neurol 515:378-96. 2009..Our findings suggest a role for olig genes in CNS patterning as well as in multiple cell fate decisions during neural differentiation...
- Mechanisms underlying metabolic and neural defects in zebrafish and human multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD)Yuanquan Song
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e8329. 2009..These results show that mitochondrial dysfunction, leading to an increase in aerobic glycolysis, affects neurogenesis through the PPARG-ERK pathway, a potential target for therapeutic intervention...
- The heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein-R is necessary for axonal beta-actin mRNA translocation in spinal motor neuronsMichael Glinka
Institute for Clinical Neurobiology, Zinklesweg 10, 97078 Wurzburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:1951-66. 2010..Our data suggest that hnRNP-R-mediated axonal beta-actin mRNA translocation plays an essential physiological role for axon growth and presynaptic differentiation...
- prdm1a Regulates sox10 and islet1 in the development of neural crest and Rohon-Beard sensory neuronsEugenia Olesnicky
Department of Craniofacial Biology, University of Colorado, Denver School of Dental Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Genesis 48:656-66. 2010..In addition, we identified a number of other novel downstream targets of Prdm1a that may be important for the development of diverse tissues during zebrafish embryogenesis...
- Islet1 selectively promotes peripheral axon outgrowth in Rohon-Beard primary sensory neuronsHideomi Tanaka
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, RIKEN Brain Science Institute BSI, Saitama, Japan
Dev Dyn 240:9-22. 2011..These data indicate that Dpysl3 is cooperating with Sema3d in the peripheral axon outgrowth, and Isl1 is required for the selective outgrowth of the peripheral axons of RB neurons by maintaining the expression of dpysl3...