Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: crx
Description: cone-rod homeobox
Alias: cone-rod homeobox protein
- Evolutionarily conserved and divergent regulatory sequences in the fish rod opsin promoterShoji Kawamura
Department of Integrated Biosciences, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, University of Tokyo, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 8652, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 141:391-9. 2005..conserved OTX (GATTA) and OTX-like (TATTA) sequences that can be recognized by the mammalian cone-rod homeobox (CRX) protein. However, binding of zebrafish crx to the OTX sequence has remained elusive...
- Retinal homeobox 1 is required for retinal neurogenesis and photoreceptor differentiation in embryonic zebrafishSteve M Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, Moscow, Idaho 83844 3051, USA
Dev Biol 328:24-39. 2009....
- Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesisYu chi Shen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0616, USA
Dev Biol 269:237-51. 2004The mammalian Cone-rod homeobox (Crx) gene is a divergent member of the Otx gene family known to be involved in differentiation and survival of retinal photoreceptors and photoentrainment of circadian rhythms...
- The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and laminationYuqing Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36145. 2012..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination...
- Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosaBastian Linder
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 20:368-77. 2011..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype...
- Cone photoreceptor types in zebrafish are generated by symmetric terminal divisions of dedicated precursorsSachihiro C Suzuki
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7420
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:15109-14. 2013..Ectopic expression of trβ2 after cone differentiation produces cones with mixed opsins. Temporal differences in the onset of trβ2 expression could explain why some species have mixed, and others have pure, cone types. ..
- Bardet-Biedl syndrome genes are important in retrograde intracellular trafficking and Kupffer's vesicle cilia functionHsan Jan Yen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:667-77. 2006..These studies are the first to comprehensively compare the diverse group of BBS genes in parallel and demonstrate a common role in intracellular trafficking, indicating that BBS proteins are involved in general organelle trafficking...
- Identification and functional analysis of the vision-specific BBS3 (ARL6) long isoformPamela R Pretorius
Department of Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1000884. 2010..Bbs3L-null mice lack key features of previously published Bbs-null mice, including obesity. These data demonstrate that the BBS3L transcript is required for proper retinal function and organization...
- The developmental sequence of gene expression within the rod photoreceptor lineage in embryonic zebrafishSteve M Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho 83844 3051, USA
Dev Dyn 237:2903-17. 2008..expression was accompanied by sporadic upregulation of expression of the transcription factors NeuroD/nrd, rx1, crx, and Nr2e3/pnr...
- Dynamic expression of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor neuroD in the rod and cone photoreceptor lineages in the retina of the embryonic and larval zebrafishMalgorzata J Ochocinska
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, W K Kellogg Eye Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
J Comp Neurol 501:1-12. 2007..Furthermore, neuroD is coexpressed with the cone-rod-homeobox transcription factor (Crx) in putative cone progenitors and nascent cone photoreceptors, suggesting that, in the zebrafish retina, as in ..
- Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafishKunal Rai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Genes Dev 21:261-6. 2007..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation...
- Late-stage neuronal progenitors in the retina are radial Müller glia that function as retinal stem cellsRebecca L Bernardos
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1048, USA
J Neurosci 27:7028-40. 2007..Müller glia-derived progenitors express Crx (cone rod homeobox) and are late retinal progenitors that generate the rod photoreceptor lineage in the ..
- Vsx2 in the zebrafish retina: restricted lineages through derepressionMarta Vitorino
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3DY, UK
Neural Dev 4:14. 2009..The neurons in the vertebrate retina arise from multipotent retinal progenitor cells (RPCs). It is not clear, however, which progenitors are multipotent or why they are multipotent...
- Mediator subunit 12 coordinates intrinsic and extrinsic control of epithalamic developmentShu Yu Wu
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Dev Biol 385:13-22. 2014..We propose that the Mediator complex is responsible for subtle but significant changes in transcriptional timing and amplitude that are essential for coordinating the development of neurons in the epithalamus. ..
- Rip3 knockdown rescues photoreceptor cell death in blind pde6c zebrafishI A Viringipurampeer
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V5Z 3N9, Canada
Cell Death Differ 21:665-75. 2014..As bystander cell death is an important feature of many retinal diseases, combinatorial approaches targeting different cell death pathways may evolve as an important general principle in treatment. ..
- Synaptojanin 1 is required for endolysosomal trafficking of synaptic proteins in cone photoreceptor inner segmentsAshley A George
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e84394. 2014..This last pathway also appears exacerbated by darkness. Taken altogether, these findings show that SynJ1 is required in cones for normal endolysosomal trafficking of synaptic proteins. ..
- Evolution of the eye transcriptome under constant darkness in Sinocyclocheilus cavefishFanwei Meng
Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Mol Biol Evol 30:1527-43. 2013..factors shown to have direct roles in retinal development and maintenance, including cone-rod homeobox (crx) and Wnt pathway members...
- Combining animal personalities with transcriptomics resolves individual variation within a wild-type zebrafish population and identifies underpinning molecular differences in brain functionS Rey
Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, 08193, Bellaterra, Spain
Mol Ecol 22:6100-15. 2013..These differences can be mapped to distinct regions of the brain and provide a foundation towards understanding the coordination of underpinning adaptive molecular events within populations. ..
- Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesisGaelle Boisset
IRO, Institute for Research in Ophthalmology, Av Grand Champsec 64, 1950 Sion, Switzerland
Exp Eye Res 105:34-42. 2012..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis...
- The Hippo pathway controls a switch between retinal progenitor cell proliferation and photoreceptor cell differentiation in zebrafishYoichi Asaoka
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 9:e97365. 2014..yap (5SA)-expressing zebrafish embryos displayed decreased expression of transcription factors such as otx5 and crx, which orchestrate photoreceptor cell differentiation by activating the expression of rhodopsin and other ..
- The zebrafish homologs of SET/I2PP2A oncoprotein: expression patterns and insights into their physiological roles during developmentIliana Serifi
Laboratory of Biological Chemistry, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Biochem J 473:4609-4627. 2016..Collectively, our results suggest that seta and setb are required during embryogenesis and play roles in the zebrafish sensory system development...
- Genetic Dissection of Dual Roles for the Transcription Factor six7 in Photoreceptor Development and Patterning in ZebrafishMailin Sotolongo-Lopez
Department of Biological Science, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, United States of America
PLoS Genet 12:e1005968. 2016....
- Expression Profiling of Developing Zebrafish Retinal CellsMadelyn Mullally
Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Zebrafish 13:272-80. 2016..Further analysis of these profiles will reveal genes that can be mutated using genome editing techniques. Together these studies increase our knowledge of the genes driving development of different cell types in the zebrafish retina. ..
- Antagonism between Gdf6a and retinoic acid pathways controls timing of retinal neurogenesis and growth of the eye in zebrafishLeonardo E Valdivia
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Development 143:1087-98. 2016..Together, our results support a model in which dorsally expressed gdf6a limits RA pathway activity to control the transition from proliferation to differentiation in the growing eye...
- The bHLH Transcription Factor NeuroD Governs Photoreceptor Genesis and Regeneration Through Delta-Notch SignalingScott M Taylor
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences University of Michigan, W K Kellogg Eye Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56:7496-515. 2015..The purpose of this study was to identify these pathways, and during photoreceptor genesis, Notch signaling was investigated as the putative mediator of NeuroD function...
- Abnormal retinal development in Cloche mutant zebrafishSusov Dhakal
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
Dev Dyn 244:1439-55. 2015..These studies are possible in zebrafish embryos, which do not yet rely upon the vasculature for tissue oxygenation...
- Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor DifferentiationWen Hua Li
1 State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2 Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430072, China
Int J Biol Sci 11:688-700. 2015..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- PCB1254 exposure contributes to the abnormalities of optomotor responses and influence of the photoreceptor cell development in zebrafish larvaeXin Zhang
Department of Pediatrics, Nanjing Medical University, No 140, Hanzhong Road, Nanjing 210029, China Department of Pediatrics, Nanjing Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, No 123, Tianfei Road, Mochou Street, Nanjing 210004, China
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 118:133-8. 2015..01% methanol were also prepared. OMR test was used to detect the visual behavior. The mRNA expression of the CRX, RHO, SWS1, and SWS2 was assessed by the Quantitative Real-Time PCR...
- Zebrafish retinal defects induced by ethanol exposure are rescued by retinoic acid and folic acid supplementPooja Muralidharan
Department of Biology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Alcohol 49:149-63. 2015..Our results indicate that various ethanol-sensitive events underlie FASD-associated retinal defects. Nutrient supplements like retinoids and folate were effective in alleviating ethanol-induced retinal defects. ..
- Spectrum of Fates: a new approach to the study of the developing zebrafish retinaAlexandra D Almeida
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3DY, UK
Development 141:1971-80. 2014....
- Juxtaposition of chemical and mutation-induced developmental defects in zebrafish reveal a copper-chelating activity for kalihinol FImelda T Sandoval
Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Chem Biol 20:753-63. 2013..Our data support this mechanism of action for kalihinol F and the utility of zebrafish as an effective system for identifying therapeutic and target pathways. ..
- Insulinoma-associated 1a (Insm1a) is required for photoreceptor differentiation in the zebrafish retinaMarie A Forbes-Osborne
Department of Biology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0225, USA
Dev Biol 380:157-71. 2013..upstream of the bHLH transcription factors ath5/atoh7 and neurod, and the photoreceptor specification genes crx and nr2e3. Finally, we show that insm1a is negatively regulated by Notch-Delta signaling...
- Ethanol inhibits retinal and CNS differentiation due to failure of cell cycle exit via an apoptosis-independent pathwayHsin Yu Chung
Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
Neurotoxicol Teratol 38:92-103. 2013..ethanol treatment of embryos reduced expression of the mature neural and photoreceptor markers elavl3/huC, rho, and crx; in addition, expression of the neural and retinal progenitor markers ascl1b and pax6b was maintained at the ..
- Deep mRNA sequencing analysis to capture the transcriptome landscape of zebrafish embryos and larvaeHongxing Yang
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Plant Biology, Center of Evolutionary Biology, School of Life Science, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 8:e64058. 2013..Our study provides ample information for further study about the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying vertebrate development...
- CERKL knockdown causes retinal degeneration in zebrafishMarina Riera
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e64048. 2013..Overall, we propose that this zebrafish model is a powerful tool to unveil CERKL contribution to human retinal degeneration...
- Trimethyltin chloride (TMT) neurobehavioral toxicity in embryonic zebrafishJiangfei Chen
Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory for Technology and Application of Model Organisms, Institute of Watershed Science and Environmental Ecology, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, China
Neurotoxicol Teratol 33:721-6. 2011..Our study demonstrates the morphological and behavioral sensitivity of the developing zebrafish to TMT and establishes a platform for future identification of the affected pathways and chemical modulators of TMT toxicity...
- Quantitative genetic analysis of retinal degeneration in the blind cavefish Astyanax mexicanusKelly E O'Quin
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e57281. 2013..The regions we identify serve as a starting point for future studies on the genetics of retinal degeneration and eye disease using the evolutionary mutant model Astyanax...
- The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesisLiyun Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e56108. 2013..This abnormal and prolonged expression of ptf1a during retinogenesis might affect the differentiation of ACs and HCs in the Egr1-knockdown retinas...
- Protocadherin-17 function in Zebrafish retinal developmentYun Chen
Department of Biology and Integrated Bioscience Program, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio 44325, USA
Dev Neurobiol 73:259-73. 2013..Injection of a vivo-protocadherin-17 MO into one eye of embryonic zebrafish resulted in similar eye defects. Our results suggest that protocadherin-17 plays an important role in the normal formation of the zebrafish retina...
- Embryonic retinal gene expression in sonic-you mutant zebrafishDeborah L Stenkamp
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho 83844 3051, USA
Dev Dyn 225:344-50. 2002..We also find that Hh signaling is important for retinal cell proliferation and retinal cell survival; together, these functions provide an explanation for progressive microphthalmia in the syu-/- mutant...
- Analysis of a gene regulatory cascade mediating circadian rhythm in zebrafishYing Li
CAS MPG Partner Institute for Computational Biology, Shanghai Institutes of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
PLoS Comput Biol 9:e1002940. 2013..Our study describes a systematic method to discover previously unidentified TFs involved in circadian physiology in complex organisms...
- Extraretinal and retinal hedgehog signaling sequentially regulate retinal differentiation in zebrafishDeborah L Stenkamp
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844 3051, USA
Dev Biol 258:349-63. 2003....
- dazed gene is necessary for late cell type development and retinal cell maintenance in the zebrafish retinaBrian D Perkins
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Dev Dyn 233:680-94. 2005..Taken together, our studies suggest a role for the dazed gene in rod and Muller cell development and overall retinal cell survival and maintenance...
- Zebrafish R-cadherin (Cdh4) controls visual system development and differentiationSherry G Babb
Department of Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 56202 5130, USA
Dev Dyn 233:930-45. 2005..Cdh4 is necessary for neural retina survival and differentiation, and required for normal retinotectal projection formation and tectal arborization...
- Genomic organization of zebrafish cone-rod homeobox gene and exclusion as a candidate gene for retinal degeneration in niezerka and mikre okoDeborah C Otteson
Guerrieri Center for Genetic Engineering and Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Mol Vis 11:986-95. 2005To determine the genomic organization of the zebrafish crx gene and to evaluate if mutations in crx are responsible for the retinal degeneration phenotype in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) mutants niezerka (nie(m743)) and mikre oko (mok(..
- Dual roles for adenomatous polyposis coli in regulating retinoic acid biosynthesis and Wnt during ocular developmentLincoln D Nadauld
Department of Oncological Sciences and Medicinal Chemistry and Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:13409-14. 2006....
- Differential expression of photoreceptor-specific genes in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant glass onion and zebrafish cadherin4 morphantsQ Liu
Department of Biology, University of Akron, 302 Buchtel Common, Akron, OH 44325, USA
Exp Eye Res 84:163-75. 2007..of zebrafish photoreceptors, we have analyzed expression patterns of several photoreceptor-specific genes (crx, gnat1, gnat2, irbp, otx5, rod opsin, rx1, and uv opsin) and/or a cone photoreceptor marker (zpr-1) in the retina ..
- Mechanisms for persistent microphthalmia following ethanol exposure during retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish embryosBhavani Kashyap
Department of Biological Sciences, and Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho 83844 3051, USA
Vis Neurosci 24:409-21. 2007..We conclude that ethanol exposure over the time of retinal neurogenesis resulted in persistent microphthalmia due to a combination of an overall developmental delay, lens abnormalities, and reduced retinal cell differentiation...
- Cadherin-6 function in zebrafish retinal developmentQin Liu
Department of Biology, University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325, USA
Dev Neurobiol 68:1107-22. 2008..Our results suggest that cadherin-6 plays an important role in the normal formation of the zebrafish retina. (c) 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol, 2008...
- [Influence of CRX gene on development of photoreceptors in zebrafish]Yan Qiong Zhang
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and ENT Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200031, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 44:448-54. 2008To study the development and opsin expression of zebrafish photoreceptors after CRX gene knock-down.
- Expression profiling of zebrafish sox9 mutants reveals that Sox9 is required for retinal differentiationHayato Yokoi
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Dev Biol 329:1-15. 2009..Results identified genes expressed in cartilage (col2a1a and col11a2), retina (calb2a, calb2b, crx, neurod, rs1, sox4a and vsx1) and pectoral fin bud (klf2b and EST AI722369) as candidate targets for Sox9...
- A zebrafish retinal graded photochemical stress modelJoseph W Eichenbaum
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, USA
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 59:121-7. 2009....
- Transcriptome analysis of the zebrafish pineal glandReiko Toyama
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Dev Dyn 238:1813-26. 2009..Among the multiple candidate genes suggested by these data, we note the identification of a tissue-specific form of the unc119 gene with a possible role in pineal development...
- Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafishKunal Rai
Department of Oncological Sciences, oward Hughes Medical Institute, and Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Biol Chem 285:4110-21. 2010..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner...
- Evaluation of pyridoacridine alkaloids in a zebrafish phenotypic assayXiaomei Wei
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Mar Drugs 8:1769-78. 2010..Compounds 1-6 were evaluated in a zebrafish phenotype-based assay. Amphimedine (4) was the only compound that caused a phenotype in zebrafish embryos at 30 muM. No phenotype other than death was observed for compounds 1-3, 5, 6...
- Id2a influences neuron and glia formation in the zebrafish retina by modulating retinoblast cell cycle kineticsRosa A Uribe
Section of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78722, USA
Development 137:3763-74. 2010....
- Functional analysis of BBS3 A89V that results in non-syndromic retinal degenerationPamela R Pretorius
Department of Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:1625-32. 2011..These data aid in our understanding of why patients with the BBS3 A89V missense mutation only present with isolated retinitis pigmentosa...
- Mutant Prpf31 causes pre-mRNA splicing defects and rod photoreceptor cell degeneration in a zebrafish model for Retinitis pigmentosaJun Yin
Department of Biological Sciences National University of Singapore 117543, Singapore
Mol Neurodegener 6:56. 2011..Mutations in pre-mRNA splicing factors including PRPF31 have been identified as cause for RP, raising the question how mutations in general factors lead to tissue specific defects...