Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ascl1a
Description: achaete-scute family bHLH transcription factor 1a
Alias: Zash-1a, ash, asha, id:ibd5085, im:7138587, si:dkey-264k15.2, zash1a, zasha, achaete-scute homolog 1a, pia, pituitary absent, pituitary-absent protein
- The proneural gene ascl1a is required for endocrine differentiation and cell survival in the zebrafish adenohypophysisHans Martin Pogoda
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Development 133:1079-89. 2006..the molecular nature of the pia mutation, we investigate the role of the zebrafish achaete-scute homologue ascl1a during development of the adenohypophysis, an endocrine derivative of the placodal ectoderm...
- The proneural basic helix-loop-helix gene ascl1a is required for retina regenerationBlake V Fausett
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 28:1109-17. 2008..of a critical E-box in the alpha1T promoter that mediates transactivation by achaete-scute complex-like 1a (ascl1a) during retina regeneration. More importantly, we show that ascl1a is essential for retina regeneration...
- Stat3 defines three populations of Müller glia and is required for initiating maximal müller glia proliferation in the regenerating zebrafish retinaCraig M Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences and the Center for Zebrafish Research, Galvin Life Science Building, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Comp Neurol 520:4294-311. 2012We analyzed the role of Stat3, Ascl1a, and Lin28a in Müller glia reentry into the cell cycle following damage to the zebrafish retina...
- Cohesin-dependent regulation of Runx genesJulia A Horsfield
Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Development 134:2639-49. 2007..monoallelic loss of rad21 caused a reduction in the transcription of runx1 and of the proneural genes ascl1a and ascl1b, indicating that downstream genes are sensitive to Rad21 dose...
- Time course analysis of gene expression during light-induced photoreceptor cell death and regeneration in albino zebrafishSean C Kassen
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Dev Neurobiol 67:1009-31. 2007..Some of the Stat3-positive Müller cells expressed PCNA at 31 h, suggesting that Stat3 may play a role in signaling a subset of Müller cells to proliferate during the regeneration response...
- HB-EGF is necessary and sufficient for Müller glia dedifferentiation and retina regenerationJin Wan
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Dev Cell 22:334-47. 2012..via an EGFR/MAPK signal transduction cascade that regulates the expression of regeneration-associated genes, like ascl1a and pax6(b)...
- Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafishKunal Rai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Genes Dev 21:261-6. 2007..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation...
- Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesisJi Eun Lee
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84105, USA
Development 133:4451-61. 2006..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis...
- The bHLH transcription factor hand2 is essential for noradrenergic differentiation of sympathetic neuronsMarsha E Lucas
Center for Molecular Neurobiology, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Program, Department of Neuroscience, The Ohio State University, 105 Rightmire Hall, 1060 Carmack Road, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Development 133:4015-24. 2006..ganglion primordia characterized by the expression of phox2b, phox2a and the achaete-scute family member zash1a/ascl1...
- Genetic evidence for shared mechanisms of epimorphic regeneration in zebrafishZhao Qin
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, 830 North University, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1048, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9310-5. 2009..Comparison of gene expression profiles from regenerating zebrafish retina, caudal fin, and heart muscle revealed additional candidate genes potentially implicated in injury-induced epimorphic regeneration in diverse zebrafish tissues...
- Perturbation of rRNA synthesis in the bap28 mutation leads to apoptosis mediated by p53 in the zebrafish central nervous systemMizuki Azuma
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 281:13309-16. 2006..The bap28 mutation provides a genetic approach to study the role of ribosome biogenesis in the development of a vertebrate embryo...
- Wnt1 regulates neurogenesis and mediates lateral inhibition of boundary cell specification in the zebrafish hindbrainMarc Amoyel
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 132:775-85. 2005..The network of genes underlying the regulation of neurogenesis and lateral inhibition of boundary cell formation by Wnt1 has a striking similarity to mechanisms at the dorsoventral boundary in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc...
- Rhombomere boundaries are Wnt signaling centers that regulate metameric patterning in the zebrafish hindbrainBruce B Riley
Biology Department, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 3258, USA
Dev Dyn 231:278-91. 2004..Similar feedback mechanisms operate in the Drosophila wing disc and vertebrate limb bud, suggesting coaptation of a conserved signaling module that spatially organizes cells in complex organ systems...
- Transcription factor Sox11b is involved in spinal cord regeneration in adult zebrafishY Guo
W M Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience and Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Neuroscience 172:329-41. 2011..In the injured spinal cord, expression of the neural stem cell associated gene Nestin, and the proneural gene Ascl1a (Mash1a), which are involved in the self-renewal and cell fate specification of endogenous neural stem cells, ..
- Her5 acts as a prepattern factor that blocks neurogenin1 and coe2 expression upstream of Notch to inhibit neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundaryAndrea Geling
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Junior Research Group, Institute of Virology, Technical University Munich, Trogerstrasse 4b, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Development 131:1993-2006. 2004..Together our data demonstrate a role of Her5 as a prepattern factor in the spatial definition of proneural domains in the zebrafish neural plate, in a manner similar to its Drosophila homologue Hairy...
- Ash1a and Neurogenin1 function downstream of Floating head to regulate epiphysial neurogenesisElise Cau
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Development 130:2455-66. 2003..These populations do not simply correspond to the two described epiphysial cell types: photoreceptors and projection neurones. These results suggest that the genetic pathways that involve ash1a and ngn1 are common to both neuronal types...
- miR-9 controls the timing of neurogenesis through the direct inhibition of antagonistic factorsMarion Coolen
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Group, Laboratory of Neurobiology and Development, CNRS UPR 3294, Institute of Neurobiology Alfred Fessard, 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Dev Cell 22:1052-64. 2012....
- Rx3 and Shh direct anisotropic growth and specification in the zebrafish tuberal/anterior hypothalamusVictor Muthu
The Bateson Centre and Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Development 143:2651-63. 2016....
- Antiviral Drug Ganciclovir Is a Potent Inhibitor of the Proliferation of Müller Glia-Derived Progenitors During Zebrafish Retinal RegenerationShuqiang Zhang
Jiangsu Key Lab of Neuroregeneration Co innovation Center of Neuroregeneration, Nantong University, Nantong, Jiangsu Province, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 57:1991-2000. 2016..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of the antiviral drug ganciclovir (GCV) on Müller glia dedifferentiation and proliferation and the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms in adult zebrafish...
- Id2a functions to limit Notch pathway activity and thereby influence the transition from proliferation to differentiation of retinoblasts during zebrafish retinogenesisRosa A Uribe
Section of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Dev Biol 371:280-92. 2012..These data highlight the integral role played by Id2a in the gene regulatory network governing the transition from retinoblast proliferation to terminal differentiation during vertebrate retinogenesis...
- Trim69 regulates zebrafish brain development by ap-1 pathwayRuiqin Han
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100005, China
Sci Rep 6:24034. 2016..Overall, our results support a role for trim69 in the development of the zebrafish brain through ap-1 pathway. ..
- The bHLH Transcription Factor NeuroD Governs Photoreceptor Genesis and Regeneration Through Delta-Notch SignalingScott M Taylor
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences University of Michigan, W K Kellogg Eye Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56:7496-515. 2015..The purpose of this study was to identify these pathways, and during photoreceptor genesis, Notch signaling was investigated as the putative mediator of NeuroD function...
- Fezf2 regulates multilineage neuronal differentiation through activating basic helix-loop-helix and homeodomain genes in the zebrafish ventral forebrainNan Yang
Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, People s Republic of China
J Neurosci 32:10940-8. 2012..First, our genetic analyses reveal the requirement of the achaete-scute-like genes ascl1a and 1b in serotonergic and GABAergic neuron development, but they are dispensable for the specification of ..
- Vascular Mural Cells Promote Noradrenergic Differentiation of Embryonic Sympathetic NeuronsVitor Fortuna
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale Cardiovascular Research Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA Health Science Institute, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador 40110 902, Brazil
Cell Rep 11:1786-96. 2015..Thus, PDGFR-mediated mural cell recruitment mediates neurovascular interactions between the aorta and sympathetic precursors and promotes their noradrenergic differentiation. ..
- Injury-dependent Müller glia and ganglion cell reprogramming during tissue regeneration requires Apobec2a and Apobec2bCurtis Powell
The Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 32:1096-109. 2012..The maximal induction of apobec2b required Ascl1a, but was independent of Lin28, and therefore defines an independent signaling pathway stemming from Ascl1a...
- MASH1/Ascl1a leads to GAP43 expression and axon regeneration in the adult CNSRyan R Williams
The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0118918. 2015..The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor, MASH1/Ascl1a, is transiently expressed during the development of many neuronal subtypes and regulates the expression of genes ..
- The ascl1a and dlx genes have a regulatory role in the development of GABAergic interneurons in the zebrafish diencephalonRyan B MacDonald
Center for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1N 6N5
Dev Biol 381:276-85. 2013..Here, we have examined the regulatory relationships between the ascl1a, dlx, and gad1b genes in the zebrafish forebrain...
- Molecular and cellular characterization of a zebrafish optic pathway tumor line implicates glia-derived progenitors in tumorigenesisStaci L Solin
Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e114888. 2014..qRT-PCR confirmed >10-fold overexpression of the Wnt pathway components hbegfa, ascl1a, and insm1a...
- The transcription factor hairy/E(spl)-related 2 induces proliferation of neural progenitors and regulates neurogenesis and gliogenesisYi Chuan Cheng
Graduate Institute of Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hwa 1st Road, Taoyuan 33383, Taiwan Electronic address
Dev Biol 397:116-28. 2015..Together, these two mechanisms ensure the proper development of the neural progenitor cell pool. ..
- Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafishLydie C Flasse
Laboratory of zebrafish development and disease models, University of Liege ULg, Liege 4000, Belgium
BMC Biol 11:78. 2013..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Retinal regeneration in adult zebrafish requires regulation of TGFβ signalingJenny R Lenkowski
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan, 830 N University, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Glia 61:1687-97. 2013..Tgif1 expression and regulation of TGFβ signaling are implicated in the function of several types of stem cells, but this is the first demonstration that this regulatory network is necessary for regeneration of neurons...
- The DNA damage-regulated autophagy modulator DRAM1 links mycobacterial recognition via TLR-MYD88 to autophagic defense [corrected]Michiel van der Vaart
Institute of Biology, Leiden University, 2333 CC Leiden, The Netherlands
Cell Host Microbe 15:753-67. 2014..We propose that DRAM1 mediates autophagic defense against a broader range of intracellular pathogens, since DRAM1 expression was also induced by the common bacterial endotoxin lipopolysaccharide...
- Repressing notch signaling and expressing TNFα are sufficient to mimic retinal regeneration by inducing Müller glial proliferation to generate committed progenitor cellsClay Conner
Department of Biological Sciences and the Center for Zebrafish Research, Galvin Life Sciences Building, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556
J Neurosci 34:14403-19. 2014..This RO4929097-induced proliferation requires Ascl1a expression and Jak1-mediated Stat3 phosphorylation/activation, analogous to the light-damaged retina...
- Activated ALK collaborates with MYCN in neuroblastoma pathogenesisShizhen Zhu
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Cell 21:362-73. 2012..Coexpression of activated ALK with MYCN provides prosurvival signals that block this apoptotic response and allow continued expansion and oncogenic transformation of hyperplastic neuroblasts, thus promoting progression to neuroblastoma...
- MANF regulates dopaminergic neuron development in larval zebrafishY C Chen
Neuroscience Center and Institute of Biomedicine AnatomyUniversity of Helsinki, Finland
Dev Biol 370:237-49. 2012..Strikingly, manf mRNA could partly restore the decrease of th1 positive cells in Nr4a2-deficient larvae. These results suggest that MANF is involved in the regulation of the development of dopaminergic system in zebrafish...
- Molecular characterization of prosomeric and intraprosomeric subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish diencephalonGilbert Lauter
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 83 Huddinge, Sweden
J Comp Neurol 521:1093-118. 2013..Our comparative gene expression analysis conformed with the idea of a common bauplan for the diencephalon of anamniote and amniote vertebrates from fish to mammals...
- The bHLH transcription factor Ascl1a is essential for the specification of the intestinal secretory cells and mediates Notch signaling in the zebrafish intestineLydie C Flasse
Unit of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering, GIGA Research, University of Liege, 1 Avenue de l Hôpital B34, B 4000 Sart Tilman Liège, Belgium
Dev Biol 376:187-97. 2013..b>ascl1a was found to be the earliest factor detected in the intestine...
- Multifactorial origins of heart and gut defects in nipbl-deficient zebrafish, a model of Cornelia de Lange SyndromeAkihiko Muto
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS Biol 9:e1001181. 2011....
- Subdivisions of the adult zebrafish subpallium by molecular marker analysisJulia Ganz
Biotechnology Center and Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Comp Neurol 520:633-55. 2012..Further, the septal nuclei derive from both the pallium and subpallium. On this basis, we present a new model for the subdivisions of the subpallium in teleost fish...
- Loss of ascl1a prevents secretory cell differentiation within the zebrafish intestinal epithelium resulting in a loss of distal intestinal motilityGillian Roach
Department of Biology, Clarkson University, 8 Clarkson Ave, Potsdam, NY 13699, USA
Dev Biol 376:171-86. 2013..Here, we demonstrate that in contrast to the atoh1 in mammals, ascl1a is responsible for formation of secretory cells in zebrafish...
- Dner inhibits neural progenitor proliferation and induces neuronal and glial differentiation in zebrafishFu Yu Hsieh
Graduate Institute of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Dev Biol 375:1-12. 2013..This is the first study to demonstrate a role for Dner in neural progenitors and neuronal differentiation and provides new insights into mediation of neuronal development and differentiation by the Notch signaling pathway...
- Distinct functional and temporal requirements for zebrafish Hdac1 during neural crest-derived craniofacial and peripheral neuron developmentMyron S Ignatius
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Program, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e63218. 2013..Our study reveals distinct functional and temporal requirements for zebrafish hdac1 during neural crest-derived craniofacial and peripheral neuron development...
- Distinct neuroblastoma-associated alterations of PHOX2B impair sympathetic neuronal differentiation in zebrafish modelsDesheng Pei
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Division of Hematology Oncology, Boston Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
PLoS Genet 9:e1003533. 2013....
- On the organisation of the regulatory region of the zebrafish deltaD geneStefan Hans
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, 50923 Koln, Germany
Development 129:4773-84. 2002..controlled by two relatively small genomic regions, which are regulated by the proneural proteins neurogenin 1 and zash1a/b acting as transcriptional activators that bind to so-called E-boxes...
- Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafishKunal Rai
Department of Oncological Sciences, oward Hughes Medical Institute, and Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Biol Chem 285:4110-21. 2010..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner...
- Regeneration of the adult zebrafish brain from neurogenic radial glia-type progenitorsVolker Kroehne
Biotechnology Center and DFG Research Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Development 138:4831-41. 2011..Thus, regeneration after traumatic lesion of the adult zebrafish brain occurs efficiently from radial glia-type stem/progenitor cells...
- Fgf signaling controls pharyngeal taste bud formation through miR-200 and Delta-Notch activityMarika Kapsimali
Ecole Normale Superieure, Institut de Biologie, 75005 Paris, France
Development 138:3473-84. 2011..Conversely, larvae with increased Notch activity and ascl1a(-/-) mutants are devoid of 5HT(+) cells, but have maintained and increased Calb2b(+) cells, respectively...
- The nucleolar GTP-binding proteins Gnl2 and nucleostemin are required for retinal neurogenesis in developing zebrafishJudith T M L Paridaen
Hubrecht Institute for Developmental Biology and Stem Cell Research, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dev Biol 355:286-301. 2011..Finally, the data suggest that Gnl2 and NS affect cell cycle exit of neural progenitors by regulating the expression of cell cycle regulators independently of p53...
- Zebrafish Her8a is activated by Su(H)-dependent Notch signaling and is essential for the inhibition of neurogenesisPei Chen Chung
School of Medicine, Graduate Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e19394. 2011....
- Expression of hairy/enhancer of split genes in neural progenitors and neurogenesis domains of the adult zebrafish brainPrisca Chapouton
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Department, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Comp Neurol 519:1748-69. 2011....
- Identification of chaperonin CCT gamma subunit as a determinant of retinotectal development by whole-genome subtraction cloning from zebrafish no tectal neuron mutantNaoto Matsuda
Department of Molecular Neurobiology and Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, and SORST, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 131:1913-25. 2004..Similarly, the expression of brn3b was normal in the tectum of ntn mutants, but tectal neuropil formation was abolished. These results suggest that the gamma subunit of chaperonin CCT plays an essential role in retinotectal development...
- Glucocorticoids play a key role in circadian cell cycle rhythmsThomas Dickmeis
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Tubingen, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e78. 2007..Instead, they act in concert with a systemic signaling environment of which glucocorticoids are an essential part...
- A subunit of the mediator complex regulates vertebrate neuronal developmentXiaoqun Wang
Program in Genetics, Neuroscience, and Developmental Biology, Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, and Center for Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17284-9. 2006..when overexpressed is capable of increasing, the expression of distinct neuronal determination genes, including zash1a and lim1, and serves as an in vivo cofactor for Sox9 in this process...
- her5 expression reveals a pool of neural stem cells in the adult zebrafish midbrainPrisca Chapouton
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Junior Research Group, Institute of Virology, Technical University Munich, Trogerstrasse 4b, D 81675, Munich, Germany
Development 133:4293-303. 2006..In addition, the first transcription factor characteristic of this cell population, Her5, points to the E(Spl) as a promising family of candidate adult neural stem cell regulators...
- Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalonBirgit Adolf
Institute of Virology, Technical University Munich, Trogerstrasse 4b, D 81675, Munich, Germany
Dev Biol 295:278-93. 2006....
- Proneural gene requirement for hair cell differentiation in the zebrafish lateral lineAndres F Sarrazin
Millennium Nucleus in Developmental Biology, Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Dev Biol 295:534-45. 2006..We propose that the emergence of two atonal homologs, ath1 and ngn1, allowed the cellular segregation of mechanoreception and signal transmission that were originally performed by a single cell type as found in insects...
- Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survivalRodney A Stewart
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 292:174-88. 2006....
- A phylotypic stage in vertebrate brain development: GABA cell patterns in zebrafish compared with mouseThomas Mueller
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institute of Neurobiology A Fessard, Development, Evolution, and Plasticity of the Nervous System, Research Unit 2197, 91198 Gif sur Yvette, France
J Comp Neurol 494:620-34. 2006..expression patterns of developmentally relevant genes, for example, of proneural (Neurogenin1, NeuroD, Mash1/Zash1a) genes involved in neurogenesis at a particular time window (mouse: embryonic day 12.5/13.5; zebrafish: 3 days)...
- Lhx2 mediates the activity of Six3 in zebrafish forebrain growthHideki Ando
Laboratory for Developmental Gene Regulation, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 287:456-68. 2005..Our results suggest that Lhx2 may mediate an alternative or parallel pathway for control of cellular proliferation in the developing forebrain via Six3...
- Orthopedia homeodomain protein is essential for diencephalic dopaminergic neuron developmentSoojin Ryu
Department of Developmental Biology, Institute Biology 1, University of Freiburg, Hauptstrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Curr Biol 17:873-80. 2007..Thus, Otp is one of the few known transcription factors that can determine aspects of the dopaminergic phenotype and the first known factor to control the development of the diencephalospinal dopaminergic system...
- Identification and morphogenesis of the eminentia thalami in the zebrafishMario F Wullimann
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institute of Neurobiology A Fessard, Development, Evolution, Plasticity of the Nervous System Research Unit 2197, F 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
J Comp Neurol 471:37-48. 2004..In contrast, the migrated teleostean entopeduncular complex does not correspond to a pallidal division but is indeed the adult derivative of the early-recognized eminentia thalami as shown in this study...
- Unique and combinatorial functions of Fgf3 and Fgf8 during zebrafish forebrain developmentJennifer Walshe
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, UK
Development 130:4337-49. 2003..Analysis of embryos treated with an FGFR inhibitor suggests that continuous FGF signalling is required from gastrulation stages for normal forebrain patterning, and identifies additional requirements for FGFR activity...
- Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plateAlexandra Tallafuss
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Junior Research Group, Institute of Virology, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Dev Dyn 227:524-35. 2003..Together, our results suggest that a combination of patterning-related and -unrelated mechanisms specifically controls the size of individual early neuronal clusters within the anterior neural plate...
- Expression of Zash-1a in the postembryonic zebrafish brain allows comparison to mouse Mash1 domainsMario F Wullimann
Brain Research Institute, FB 2, University of Bremen, P O Box 330440, 2834 Bremen, Germany
Brain Res Gene Expr Patterns 1:187-92. 2002..Furthermore, previous initial identification of early postembryonic brain subdivisions in the zebrafish is strongly corroborated by these expression patterns...
- Role of hlx1 in zebrafish brain morphogenesisJensen T Hjorth
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Int J Dev Biol 46:583-96. 2002..Our results indicate multiple roles for hlx1 during zebrafish brain morphogenesis...
- alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafishC J Cretekos
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84112, USA
Dev Biol 210:322-38. 1999....
- floating head and masterblind regulate neuronal patterning in the roof of the forebrainI Masai
Developmental Biology Research Centre, Randall Institute, King s College, London, United Kingdom
Neuron 18:43-57. 1997..We propose a role for Flh in linking the signaling pathways that regulate regional patterning to the signaling pathways that regulate neurogenesis...
- Function of the Eph-related kinase rtk1 in patterning of the zebrafish forebrainQ Xu
DBRC, The Randall Institute, King s College, London, UK
Nature 381:319-22. 1996..We find that expression of a truncated receptor leads to expansion of the eye field into diencephalic territory and loss of diencephalic structures, indicating a role for Rtk1 in patterning the developing forebrain...
- The distribution of GAD67-mRNA in the adult zebrafish (teleost) forebrain reveals a prosomeric pattern and suggests previously unidentified homologies to tetrapodsThomas Mueller
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Programs in Human Genetics and Biological Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 2811, USA
J Comp Neurol 516:553-68. 2009....
- Morpholino artifacts provide pitfalls and reveal a novel role for pro-apoptotic genes in hindbrain boundary developmentSebastian S Gerety
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK
Dev Biol 350:279-89. 2011..In light of these findings, we discuss the precautions needed in performing morpholino knockdowns and in interpreting the data derived from their use...
- Ascl1a regulates Müller glia dedifferentiation and retinal regeneration through a Lin-28-dependent, let-7 microRNA signalling pathwayRajesh Ramachandran
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Nat Cell Biol 12:1101-7. 2010..Interestingly, the proneural transcription factor, Ascl1a, and the pluripotency factor, Lin-28, are induced in Müller glia within 6 h following retinal injury and are ..
- The inhibitor of phagocytosis, O-phospho-L-serine, suppresses Müller glia proliferation and cone cell regeneration in the light-damaged zebrafish retinaTravis J Bailey
Department of Biological Sciences and the Center for Zebrafish Research, University of Notre Dame, Galvin Life Science Building, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Exp Eye Res 91:601-12. 2010..Furthermore, ascl1a and stat3 expression were unaffected in either the L-SOP or MSOP-injected retinas relative to controls, suggesting ..
- Evaluation of pyridoacridine alkaloids in a zebrafish phenotypic assayXiaomei Wei
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Mar Drugs 8:1769-78. 2010..Compounds 1-6 were evaluated in a zebrafish phenotype-based assay. Amphimedine (4) was the only compound that caused a phenotype in zebrafish embryos at 30 muM. No phenotype other than death was observed for compounds 1-3, 5, 6...
- Notch activity levels control the balance between quiescence and recruitment of adult neural stem cellsPrisca Chapouton
Zebrafish Neurogenetics Department, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Neurosci 30:7961-74. 2010....
- Efficient discovery of ASCL1 regulatory sequences through transgene poolingDavid M McGaughey
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Genomics 95:363-9. 2010..These data demonstrate the utility of this approach and its potential for further adaptation and higher throughput application...
- Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brainY Li
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104
Mech Dev 48:229-44. 1994..However, there are a number of interesting differences between the forebrain and midbrain regions which express the genes in the two species...
- Her6 regulates the neurogenetic gradient and neuronal identity in the thalamusSteffen Scholpp
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, New Hunt s House, Guy s Campus, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19895-900. 2009..Thus, the presence or absence of a single upstream regulator of proneural gene expression, Her6, leads to the establishment of discrete neuronal domains in the thalamus...
- DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafishJulia Mahler
Developmental Biology, Institute Biology I, Faculty of Biology, University of Freiburg, and Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Freiburg, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Neurosci 30:16621-35. 2010..Rather, DeltaA/D limits the size of the sim1a- and otpa-expressing precursor pool from which dopaminergic neurons differentiate...
- Transcriptome analysis of the zebrafish pineal glandReiko Toyama
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Dev Dyn 238:1813-26. 2009..Among the multiple candidate genes suggested by these data, we note the identification of a tissue-specific form of the unc119 gene with a possible role in pineal development...
- Genetic ablation of neural crest cell diversificationBrigitte L Arduini
Center for Molecular Neurobiology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Development 136:1987-94. 2009..Our results identify a genetic regulatory pathway functionally discrete from the process of neural crest induction that is required for the initiation of neural crest cell diversification during embryonic development...
- Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysisElise Cau
Centre de Biologie du Developpement, UMR 5547 CNRS UPS, Université Paul Sabatier Bât 4R3, Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Development 135:2391-401. 2008..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program...
- Cadmium inhibits neurogenesis in zebrafish embryonic brain developmentElly Suk Hen Chow
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, 1200 California Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Aquat Toxicol 87:157-69. 2008..We observe prominent reductions in the expression of several proneuronal genes including ngn1 in cell clusters, zash1a in the developing optic tectum, and zash1b in the telencephalon and tectum...
- Ewing sarcoma protein ewsr1 maintains mitotic integrity and proneural cell survival in the zebrafish embryoMizuki Azuma
Experimental Transplantation and Immunology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e979. 2007..Despite the involvement of EWSR1 in these diverse sarcomas, the in vivo function of wild type EWSR1 remains unclear...
- Cellular correlates of proneural and Notch-delta gene expression in the regenerating zebrafish retinaPatrick Yurco
Department of Neuroscience and Physiology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Vis Neurosci 24:437-43. 2007..A model of vertebrate retinal repair is suggested in which damage-induced expression of proneural genes, plus canonical Notch-Delta signaling, could contribute to retinal stem cell promotion and subsequent regenerative neurogenesis...
- Members of the miRNA-200 family regulate olfactory neurogenesisPhilip S Choi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Neuron 57:41-55. 2008....