Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SET1
Description: histone methyltransferase SET1
Alias: KMT2, YTX1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Charge-based interaction conserved within histone H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methyltransferase complexes is needed for protein stability, histone methylation, and gene expressionDouglas P Mersman
Department of Biochemistry and Purdue University Center for Cancer Research, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 287:2652-65. 2012..The yeast H3K4 methyltransferase complex, Set1 complex or complex of proteins associated with Set1 (COMPASS), consists of Set1 and conserved Set1-associated ..
- Global loss of Set1-mediated H3 Lys4 trimethylation is associated with silencing defects in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeIan M Fingerman
Department of Biochemistry and the Cancer Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 280:28761-5. 2005..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Set1 has been identified as the sole histone methyltransferase required for histone H3 lysine 4 (Lys(4)) methylation...
- Role of Dot1-dependent histone H3 methylation in G1 and S phase DNA damage checkpoint functions of Rad9Robert Wysocki
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:8430-43. 2005..These results indicate a key role for chromatin and methylation of histone H3 Lys 79 in yeast DNA damage signaling...
- Set1- and Clb5-deficiencies disclose the differential regulation of centromere and telomere dynamics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosisEdgar Trelles-Sticken
MPI for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestr 73, 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Cell Sci 118:4985-94. 2005..Absence of the B-type cyclin Clb5 or the Set1 histone methyltransferase leads to a delay of premeiotic S phase by separate mechanisms...
- The requirements for COMPASS and Paf1 in transcriptional silencing and methylation of histone H3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJohn E Mueller
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 2128, USA
Genetics 173:557-67. 2006The Set1-containing complex, COMPASS, methylates histone H3 on lysine 4 (K4) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Protein interactions within the Set1 complex and their roles in the regulation of histone 3 lysine 4 methylationPierre Marie Dehé
Laboratoire d InstabilitéduGénome et Cancérogénèse, Institut de Biologie Structurale et Microbiologie, CNRS, Marseille 13402, France
J Biol Chem 281:35404-12. 2006b>Set1 is the catalytic subunit and the central component of the evolutionarily conserved Set1 complex (Set1C) that methylates histone 3 lysine 4 (H3K4)...
- The multiple faces of Set1Pierre Marie Dehé
Instabilité du Génome et Cancerogénèse IGC, CNRS, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Biochem Cell Biol 84:536-48. 2006In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, H3 methylation at lysine 4 (H3K4) is mediated by Set1. Set1 is a large protein bearing a conserved RNA recognition motif in addition to its catalytic C-terminal SET domain...
- Spp1, a member of the Set1 Complex, promotes meiotic DSB formation in promoters by tethering histone H3K4 methylation sites to chromosome axesVérane Sommermeyer
Institut Curie, Centre de Recherche, 75248 Paris, France
Mol Cell 49:43-54. 2013..Here we show that Spp1, a conserved member of the histone H3K4 methyltransferase Set1 complex, is required for normal levels of DSB formation and is associated with chromosome axes during meiosis, ..
- The COMPASS subunit Spp1 links histone methylation to initiation of meiotic recombinationLaurent Acquaviva
Marseille Cancer Research Center, U1068 Inserm, UMR7258 CNRS, Aix Marseille University, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille 13009, France
Science 339:215-8. 2013..Thus, by interacting with H3K4me3 and Mer2, Spp1 promotes recruitment of potential meiotic DSB sites to the chromosomal axis, allowing Spo11 cleavage at nearby nucleosome-depleted regions...
- Structural analysis of the core COMPASS family of histone H3K4 methylases from yeast to humanYoh hei Takahashi
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20526-31. 2011..H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methylation is catalyzed by the highly evolutionarily conserved multiprotein complex known as Set1/COMPASS or MLL/COMPASS-like complexes from yeast to human, respectively...
- SET1, a yeast member of the trithorax family, functions in transcriptional silencing and diverse cellular processesC Nislow
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0347, USA
Mol Biol Cell 8:2421-36. 1997..Here we present analysis of SET1, a yeast member of the trithorax gene family that was identified by sequence inspection to encode a 1080-amino acid ..
- H3K4 trimethylation by Set1 promotes efficient termination by the Nrd1-Nab3-Sen1 pathwayNihal Terzi
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:3569-83. 2011..Both Nrd1 and the Set1 histone H3K4 methyltransferase complex interact with RNA polymerase II (Pol II) during early elongation, leading us ..
- Histone H3 lysine 4 hypermethylation prevents aberrant nucleosome remodeling at the PHO5 promoterShan Shan Wang
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Mol Cell Biol 31:3171-81. 2011..We found that derepression of the PHO5 promoter by SET1 deletion resulted in a labile chromatin structure, allowing more binding of RNA polymerase II (Pol II) but not the ..
- Histone crosstalk between H2B monoubiquitination and H3 methylation mediated by COMPASSJung Shin Lee
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 East 50 th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Cell 131:1084-96. 2007..the yeast homolog of the mammalian MLL complex, is a histone H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methylase consisting of Set1 (KMT2) and seven other polypeptides, including Cps35, the only essential subunit...
- A cryptic unstable transcript mediates transcriptional trans-silencing of the Ty1 retrotransposon in S. cerevisiaeJulia Berretta
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CGM CNRS, 91198 Gif Yvette, France
Genes Dev 22:615-26. 2008..Furthermore, the Ty1 silencing is partially mediated by histone deacetylation and requires Set1-dependent histone methylation, pointing out an analogy with heterochromatin gene silencing...
- Ubiquitylation of the COMPASS component Swd2 links H2B ubiquitylation to H3K4 trimethylationAdeline Vitaliano-Prunier
Institut Jacques Monod, Universite Paris VII, Universite Paris VI, CNRS, 2 place Jussieu, Tour 43, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Cell Biol 10:1365-71. 2008..transcriptional activation and is required for di- and trimethylation at Lys 4 on the histone H3 tail (H3K4) by the SET1/COMPASS methyltransferase complex through a poorly characterized trans-tail pathway...
- Methylation of H3 K4 and K79 is not strictly dependent on H2B K123 ubiquitylationElinor R Foster
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1GA, England, UK
J Cell Biol 184:631-8. 2009..Finally, we show that strains lacking the ubiquitin ligase Bre1 are defective for H3 methylation, suggesting that there is an additional Bre1 substrate that in combination with H2B K123 facilitates H3 methylation...
- Regulation of H3K4 trimethylation via Cps40 (Spp1) of COMPASS is monoubiquitination independent: implication for a Phe/Tyr switch by the catalytic domain of Set1Yoh hei Takahashi
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 East 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:3478-86. 2009The multiprotein complex Set1/COMPASS is the founding member of the histone H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methyltransferases, whose human homologs include the MLL and hSet1 complexes...
- H3 lysine 4 di- and tri-methylation deposited by cryptic transcription attenuates promoter activationMarina Pinskaya
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire CNRS, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Gif sur Yvette, France
EMBO J 28:1697-707. 2009b>Set1-dependent H3K4 di- and tri-methylation (H3K4me2/3) have been associated with active transcription. Recent data indicate that the H3K4me2/3 also plays a poorly characterized RNA-dependent repressive role...
- Histone trimethylation by Set1 is coordinated by the RRM, autoinhibitory, and catalytic domainsAlisha Schlichter
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 0555, USA
EMBO J 24:1222-31. 2005Trimethylation of lysine 4 of histone H3 occurs at the 5' end of active genes and is catalyzed by Set1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- The set1Delta mutation unveils a novel signaling pathway relayed by the Rad53-dependent hyperphosphorylation of replication protein A that leads to transcriptional activation of repair genesV Schramke
Laboratoire d Ingenierie des Systemes Macromoleculaires, Institut de Biologie Structurale et Microbiologie IBSM, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, 13402, Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Genes Dev 15:1845-58. 2001..We show that deletion of SET1 induces a response relayed by the signaling kinase Rad53p that leads to the MEC1/TEL1-independent ..
- COMPASS: a complex of proteins associated with a trithorax-related SET domain proteinT Miller
Department of Biochemistry, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12902-7. 2001..the subunits of a protein complex in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae that includes the trithorax-related protein Set1. This protein complex, which we have named COMPASS (Complex Proteins Associated with Set1), consists of seven ..
- The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Set1 complex includes an Ash2 homologue and methylates histone 3 lysine 4A Roguev
EMBL, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 20:7137-48. 2001..The SET domains of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Set1 and Drosophila trithorax proteins are closely related to each other but distinct from SUV39 and G9a...
- A trithorax-group complex purified from Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required for methylation of histone H3Peter L Nagy
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:90-4. 2002..We report here the purification, molecular identification, and genetic and biochemical characterization of the Set1 protein complex that is necessary for methylation of histone H3 at lysine residue 4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- COMPASS, a histone H3 (Lysine 4) methyltransferase required for telomeric silencing of gene expressionNevan J Krogan
Department of Biochemistry, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10753-5. 2002..the isolation and characterization of COMPASS, a multiprotein complex that includes the Trx-related protein Set1 of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Evidence that Set1, a factor required for methylation of histone H3, regulates rDNA silencing in S. cerevisiae by a Sir2-independent mechanismMary Bryk
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Biol 12:165-70. 2002..In a screen for rDNA silencing mutants, we identified a mutation in SET1, previously shown to regulate silencing at telomeres and HML...
- Targeted recruitment of Set1 histone methylase by elongating Pol II provides a localized mark and memory of recent transcriptional activityHuck Hui Ng
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 11:709-19. 2003b>Set1, the yeast histone H3-lysine 4 (H3-K4) methylase, is recruited by the Pol II elongation machinery to a highly localized domain at the 5' portion of active mRNA coding regions...
- The Paf1 complex is required for histone H3 methylation by COMPASS and Dot1p: linking transcriptional elongation to histone methylationNevan J Krogan
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, University of Toronto, Toronto, M5G 1L6, Ontario, Canada
Mol Cell 11:721-9. 2003..Methylation of histone H3 on lysines 4 and 79, catalyzed by the Set1-containing complex COMPASS and Dot1p, respectively, is required for silencing of expression of genes located near ..
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae Set1p is a methyltransferase specific for lysine 4 of histone H3 and is required for efficient gene expressionSimon Boa
Room 427A, Molecular Biology Building, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Cape Town, University Private Bag, Rondebosch 7700, South Africa
Yeast 20:827-35. 2003..cerevisiae. Hierarchical clustering analysis of the set1(-) expression profile revealed a correspondence to that of a mad2(-) strain, suggesting that the transcriptional ..
- Set1 is required for meiotic S-phase onset, double-strand break formation and middle gene expressionJulie Sollier
LISM, CNRS, Marseille Cedex, France
EMBO J 23:1957-67. 2004The Set1 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a histone methyltransferase (HMTase) acting on lysine 4 of histone H3. Inactivation of the SET1 gene in a diploid leads to a sporulation defect...
- Methylation of H3 lysine 4 at euchromatin promotes Sir3p association with heterochromatinHelena Santos-Rosa
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research United Kingdom Gurdon Institute and Department of Pathology, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, CB2 1QR, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:47506-12. 2004..The inability of Sir3p to bind methylated H3 Lys-4 tails suggests a model whereby H3 Lys-4 methylation prevents Sir3p association at euchromatic sites and therefore concentrates Sir3p at unmodified, heterochromatic regions of the genome...
- The Set1 methyltransferase opposes Ipl1 aurora kinase functions in chromosome segregationKe Zhang
Program in Genes and Development, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cell 122:723-34. 2005..We report here that this balance is modulated by the Set1 methyltransferase. Deletion of SET1 suppresses chromosome loss in ipl1-2 cells...
- Interaction between Set1p and checkpoint protein Mec3p in DNA repair and telomere functionsY Corda
Laboratoire d Ingénierie et de Dynamique des Systèmes Macromoléculaires, CNRS, Marseille, France
Nat Genet 21:204-8. 1999..We show here that the SET domain of Set1p interacts with Mec3p. Deletion of SET1 increases the viability of mec3delta mutants after DNA damage (in a process that is mostly independent of Rad53p ..
- Context dependency of Set1/COMPASS-mediated histone H3 Lys4 trimethylationJanet L Thornton
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, Missouri 64110, USA
Genes Dev 28:115-20. 2014..Cps35/Swd2 within COMPASS (complex of proteins associated with Set1) is considered to bridge these different processes...
- Histone H3K4 methylation regulates deactivation of the spindle assembly checkpoint through direct binding of Mad2Andria Schibler
Program in Genes and Development, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences GSBS at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA Center for Cancer Epigenetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genes Dev 30:1187-97. 2016..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Set1 is the sole lysine methyltransferase required for mono-, di-, and trimethylation of this site...
- Set5 and Set1 cooperate to repress gene expression at telomeres and retrotransposonsGloria Mas Martin
Department of Biology Stanford University Stanford, CA USA
Epigenetics 9:513-22. 2014..We previously determined that the budding yeast histone H4 methyltransferase Set5 functions together with Set1, the H3K4 methyltransferase, in specific cellular contexts...
- Combined Interactions of Plant Homeodomain and Chromodomain Regulate NuA4 Activity at DNA Double-Strand BreaksWen Pin Su
Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Genetics 202:77-92. 2016..Cells harboring the H3K4R, H3K4R, K36R, or set1Δ set2Δ mutant that disrupts H3K4 and H3K36 methylation also show very similar phenotypes to the PHD and ..
- Counteracting H3K4 methylation modulators Set1 and Jhd2 co-regulate chromatin dynamics and gene transcriptionSaravanan Ramakrishnan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Nat Commun 7:11949. 2016..We investigated the functions for Set1 and Jhd2, the sole H3K4 methyltransferase and H3K4 demethylase, respectively, in S. cerevisiae...
- Feedback control of Set1 protein levels is important for proper H3K4 methylation patternsLuis M Soares
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Rep 6:961-72. 2014Methylation of histone H3 lysine 4 by the Set1 subunit of COMPASS correlates with active transcription. Here, we show that Set1 levels are regulated by protein degradation in response to multiple signals...
- Serine and SAM Responsive Complex SESAME Regulates Histone Modification Crosstalk by Sensing Cellular MetabolismShanshan Li
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50 th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Mol Cell 60:408-21. 2015..SESAME interacts with the Set1 H3K4 methyltransferase complex, which requires SAM synthesized from SESAME, and recruits SESAME to target genes, ..
- Fine-tuning of histone H3 Lys4 methylation during pseudohyphal differentiation by the CDK submodule of RNA polymerase IIMichael J Law
Department of Molecular Biology, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Stratford, New Jersey 08084
Genetics 199:435-53. 2015..These studies implicate the CDK8 subcomplex in fine-tuning H3 Lys4 methylation levels during pseudohyphal differentiation. ..
- Chemo-Genetic Interactions Between Histone Modification and the Antiproliferation Drug AICAR Are Conserved in Yeast and HumansDelphine Albrecht
Universite de Bordeaux, IBGC UMR 5095, F 33077 Bordeaux, France
Genetics 204:1447-1460. 2016..Here, we found that loss of several histone-modifying enzymes, including Bre1 (histone H2B ubiquitination) and Set1 (histone H3 lysine 4 methylation), greatly enhanced AICAR inhibition on growth via the combined effects of both the ..
- Regulation of histone H3K4 tri-methylation and PAF complex recruitment by the Ccr4-Not complexKlaas W Mulder
Department of Physiological Chemistry, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nucleic Acids Res 35:2428-39. 2007..These results suggest a mechanism in which the Ccr4-Not complex functions parallel to or downstream of the Bur1/2 kinase to facilitate H3K4me3 via PAF complex recruitment...
- The n-SET domain of Set1 regulates H2B ubiquitylation-dependent H3K4 methylationJaehoon Kim
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Mol Cell 49:1121-33. 2013..Here, we took advantage of an in vitro histone methyltransferase assay employing a reconstituted yeast Set1 complex (ySet1C) and a recombinant chromatin template containing fully ubiquitylated H2B to gain valuable insights...
- Two distinct repressive mechanisms for histone 3 lysine 4 methylation through promoting 3'-end antisense transcriptionThanasis Margaritis
Molecular Cancer Research, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS Genet 8:e1002952. 2012..of H3K4 methylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by determining genome-wide expression-profiles of mutants in the Set1 complex, COMPASS, that lays down these marks...
- Systematic dissection of roles for chromatin regulators in a yeast stress responseAssaf Weiner
School of Computer Science and Engineering, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
PLoS Biol 10:e1001369. 2012..We followed up on one pathway, finding that Set1-dependent H3K4 methylation primarily acts as a gene repressor during multiple stresses, specifically at genes ..
- Multiple roles for the Ess1 prolyl isomerase in the RNA polymerase II transcription cycleZhuo Ma
Division of Infectious Disease, Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, USA
Mol Cell Biol 32:3594-607. 2012..Thus, Ess1 has direct effects on RNA polymerase transcription by controlling cofactor binding via conformationally induced changes in the CTD and indirect effects by influencing chromatin modification...
- Mutagenesis of pairwise combinations of histone amino-terminal tails reveals functional redundancy in budding yeastJung Ae Kim
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology and Epigenetics, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:5779-84. 2012..Altogether, these data suggest that the N-tails of core histones share previously unrecognized, potentially redundant functions that, in some cases are different from those of the widely accepted H2A/H2B and H3/H4 dimer pairs...
- Yeast Swd2 is essential because of antagonism between Set1 histone methyltransferase complex and APT (associated with Pta1) termination factorLuis M Soares
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 287:15219-31. 2012The Set1 complex (also known as complex associated with Set1 or COMPASS) methylates histone H3 on lysine 4, with different levels of methylation affecting transcription by recruiting various factors to distinct regions of active genes...
- Methylation of H4 lysines 5, 8 and 12 by yeast Set5 calibrates chromatin stress responsesErin M Green
Department of Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 19:361-3. 2012..Set5's enzymatic activity functions together with the global chromatin-modifying complexes COMPASS and NuA4 to regulate cell growth and stress responses...
- Catalytic and functional roles of conserved amino acids in the SET domain of the S. cerevisiae lysine methyltransferase Set1Kelly Williamson
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e57974. 2013In S. cerevisiae, the lysine methyltransferase Set1 is a member of the multiprotein complex COMPASS...
- The functional role of SUMO E3 ligase Mms21p in the maintenance of subtelomeric silencing in budding yeastYakun Wan
The Key Laboratory of Developmental Genes and Human Disease, Ministry of Education, Institute of Life Sciences, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 438:746-52. 2013..Taken together, our findings suggest an important role of Mms21p; it contributes to subtelomeric silencing during the formation of a heterochromatin boundary. ..
- Chromatin-modifiying enzymes are essential when the Saccharomyces cerevisiae morphogenesis checkpoint is constitutively activatedMyriam Ruault
Division of Biological Sciences, UCSD Moores Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0347, USA
Genetics 174:1135-49. 2006..A catalytically dead Hsl7p retained wild-type interactions, implying that modification of histone H3 or H4 N termini by Gcn5p, Esa1p, Rpd3p, and Set1p, but not by Hsl7p, was needed to bypass the morphogenesis checkpoint...
- Association of SET domain and myotubularin-related proteins modulates growth controlX Cui
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, California 94305, USA
Nat Genet 18:331-7. 1998..We conclude that myotubularin-type phosphatases link SET-domain containing components of the epigenetic regulatory machinery with signalling pathways involved in growth and differentiation...
- The Yng1p plant homeodomain finger is a methyl-histone binding module that recognizes lysine 4-methylated histone H3David G E Martin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:7871-9. 2006..These results identify a novel function for the Yng1p PHD finger in promoting stabilization of the NuA3 complex at chromatin through recognition of histone H3 lysine 4 methylation...
- Structural characterization of Set1 RNA recognition motifs and their role in histone H3 lysine 4 methylationLionel Trésaugues
Institut de Biochimie et de Biophysique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UMR8619 CNRS, Universite de Paris Sud, Orsay, France
J Mol Biol 359:1170-81. 2006The yeast Set1 histone H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methyltransferase contains, in addition to its catalytic SET domain, a conserved RNA recognition motif (RRM1)...
- Altered nucleosome occupancy and histone H3K4 methylation in response to 'transcriptional stress'Lian Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, UCHSC at Fitzsimons, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
EMBO J 24:2379-90. 2005..H3K4Me3 at 3' positions was dynamic and could be rapidly removed when transcription recovered. Set1 and Chd1 are required for H3K4 trimethylation at 3' positions when transcription is inhibited by 6-AU...
- The Swi/Snf chromatin remodeling complex is required for ribosomal DNA and telomeric silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeVardit Dror
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 77 Ave Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:8227-35. 2004..This repression appears to be independent of both Sir2 and Set1, two factors known to be required for rDNA silencing...
- Proteasomal ATPases link ubiquitylation of histone H2B to methylation of histone H3Elena Ezhkova
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 USA
Mol Cell 13:435-42. 2004..These data reveal that proteasome subunits function in epigenetic gene regulation by linking chromatin modifications that establish the histone code...
- The Rtf1 component of the Paf1 transcriptional elongation complex is required for ubiquitination of histone H2BHuck Hui Ng
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 278:33625-8. 2003..cells, the Rtf1 and Paf1 components of the Paf1 transcriptional elongation complex are important for recruitment of Set1, the histone H3-lysine 4 (H3-Lys4) methylase, to a highly localized domain at the 5' portion of active mRNA coding ..
- Deciphering protein complexes and protein interaction networks by tandem affinity purification and mass spectrometry: analytical perspectiveAnna Shevchenko
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics MPI CBG, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 1:204-12. 2002..Concordance with the results of genome-wide two-hybrid screening was poor (14% of identified interactors overlapped) suggesting that the two approaches may provide complementary views on physical interactions within the proteome...
- Multiple histone modifications in euchromatin promote heterochromatin formation by redundant mechanisms in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeKitty F Verzijlbergen
Fred van Leeuwen, Division of Gene Regulation B4, Netherlands Cancer Institute, The Netherlands
BMC Mol Biol 10:76. 2009....
- Different roles of histone H3 lysine 4 methylation in chromatin maintenanceJa Hwan Seol
College of Pharmacy Sungkyunkwan University, 300 Cheoncheon dong, Jangan gu, Suwon, Gyeonggi do 440 746, South Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:463-70. 2006..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, deletion of a histone H3 methyltransferase SET1 leads to the induction of a subset of stress responsive genes in a Rad53 dependent manner...
- Opposing roles for Set2 and yFACT in regulating TBP binding at promotersDebabrata Biswas
Department of Pathology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, 84112, USA
EMBO J 25:4479-89. 2006..Set2 methylates K36 of histone H3, and K36 substitutions also suppress yFACT mutations. In contrast, set1 enhances yFACT mutations. Methylation at H3 K4 by Set1 is required for set2 to suppress yFACT defects...
- Effect of histone methyltransferase gene mutations on sporulation in S. cerevisiaeNobuyuki Morohashi
Department of Chemistry, Meisei University, 2 1 1 Hodokubo, Hino, 191 8506, Japan
Nucleic Acids Symp Ser (Oxf) . 2005..Because set1delta and set2delta affect this process additively, we suggest that Set1p and Set2p have overlapping functions in this developmental process...
- Identification of Rkr1, a nuclear RING domain protein with functional connections to chromatin modification in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeMary A Braun
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, 269 Crawford Hall, 4249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:2800-11. 2007..Taken together, our results identify a new participant in a protein ubiquitylation pathway within the nucleus that acts to modulate chromatin function and transcription...
- Chromatin signaling to kinetochores: transregulation of Dam1 methylation by histone H2B ubiquitinationJohn A Latham
Program in Genes and Development, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Cell 146:709-19. 2011Histone H3K4 trimethylation by the Set1/MLL family of proteins provides a hallmark for transcriptional activity from yeast to humans. In S...
- Histone H2B ubiquitylation and H3 lysine 4 methylation prevent ectopic silencing of euchromatic loci important for the cellular response to heatAmy Leung
Watson School of Biological Sciences, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Mol Biol Cell 22:2741-53. 2011..Our data reveal that H2B ubiquitylation/H3K4 methylation play an important role in limiting ectopic association of silencing proteins with euchromatic genes important for cell wall integrity and the response to heat...
- Histone H3 K4 demethylation during activation and attenuation of GAL1 transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeKristin Ingvarsdottir
Gene Expression and Regulation Program, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:7856-64. 2007..Thus, analysis of lysine demethylation in yeast provides new insight into the physiological roles of jumonji demethylase enzymes...
- Methylated H3K4, a transcription-associated histone modification, is involved in the DNA damage response pathwayDavid Faucher
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Genet 6:. 2010..Given the high degree of conservation for the methyltransferase and the histone mark in a broad variety of organisms, these results could have similar implications for genome stability mechanisms in vertebrate and mammalian cells...
- Novel trans-tail regulation of H2B ubiquitylation and H3K4 methylation by the N terminus of histone H2ASuting Zheng
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Center for Eukaryotic Gene Regulation, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3635-45. 2010..Interestingly, the HAR is partially occluded by nucleosomal DNA, suggesting that the function of the H2A cross talk pathway is to restrict histone modifications to nucleosomes altered by transcription...
- NuA4 lysine acetyltransferase Esa1 is targeted to coding regions and stimulates transcription elongation with Gcn5Daniel S Ginsburg
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:6473-87. 2009..Whereas histone methylation by Set1 and Set2 is dispensable for NuA4's interaction with Pol II and targeting to some coding regions, it stimulates NuA4-..
- Cotranslational assembly of the yeast SET1C histone methyltransferase complexAndre Halbach
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 28:2959-70. 2009While probing the role of RNA for the function of SET1C/COMPASS histone methyltransferase, we identified SET1RC (SET1 mRNA-associated complex), a complex that contains SET1 mRNA and Set1, Swd1, Spp1 and Shg1, four of the eight ..
- Histone H2BK123 monoubiquitination is the critical determinant for H3K4 and H3K79 trimethylation by COMPASS and Dot1Shima Nakanishi
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
J Cell Biol 186:371-7. 2009..Therefore, we generated the entire histone H2A and H2B alanine-scanning mutant strains in another background, which does not express wild-type histones...
- Nonredundant requirement for multiple histone modifications for the early anaphase release of the mitotic exit regulator Cdc14 from nucleolar chromatinWilliam W Hwang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000588. 2009..The nonredundant role for these modifications in this context contrasts with the notion of a highly combinatorial code by which histone marks act to control biological processes...