Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRE1
Description: E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase BRE1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Direct Bre1-Paf1 complex interactions and RING finger-independent Bre1-Rad6 interactions mediate histone H2B ubiquitylation in yeastJaehoon Kim
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Biol Chem 284:20582-92. 2009..We also find that, analogous to heteromeric complex formation by BRE1 paralogues in other organisms, yBre1 forms a homo-multimeric complex...
- Bre1, an E3 ubiquitin ligase required for recruitment and substrate selection of Rad6 at a promoterAdam Wood
Department of Biochemistry, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1402 South Grand Boulevard, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Mol Cell 11:267-74. 2003Ubiquitination of histone H2B catalyzed by Rad6 is required for methylation of histone H3 by COMPASS. We identified Bre1 as the probable E3 for Rad6's role in transcription...
- The Paf1 complex is essential for histone monoubiquitination by the Rad6-Bre1 complex, which signals for histone methylation by COMPASS and Dot1pAdam Wood
Department of Biochemistry, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Biol Chem 278:34739-42. 2003Monoubiquitination of histone H2B, catalyzed by Rad6-Bre1, is required for methylation of histone H3 on lysines 4 and 79, catalyzed by the Set1-containing complex COMPASS and Dot1p, respectively...
- H2B ubiquitylation acts as a barrier to Ctk1 nucleosomal recruitment prior to removal by Ubp8 within a SAGA-related complexAnastasia Wyce
Gene Expression and Regulation Program, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cell 27:275-88. 2007..These findings reveal a mechanism by which H2B ubiquitylation acts as a barrier to Ctk1 association with active genes, while subsequent deubiquitylation by Ubp8 triggers Ctk1 recruitment at the appropriate point in activation...
- The RAD6/BRE1 histone modification pathway in Saccharomyces confers radiation resistance through a RAD51-dependent process that is independent of RAD18John C Game
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, CA 94720, USA
Genetics 173:1951-68. 2006..We conclude that IR resistance conferred by BRE1 and DOT1 is mediated through homologous recombinational repair, not postreplication repair, and confirm findings of ..
- Role of Dot1-dependent histone H3 methylation in G1 and S phase DNA damage checkpoint functions of Rad9Robert Wysocki
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:8430-43. 2005..Mutations that affect Dot1 function such as Rad6-Bre1/Paf1 pathway gene deletions or mutation of H2B Lys 123 or H3 Lys 79 share dot1Delta checkpoint defects...
- BUR kinase selectively regulates H3 K4 trimethylation and H2B ubiquitylation through recruitment of the PAF elongation complexR Nicholas Laribee
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Curr Biol 15:1487-93. 2005..Our data reveal a novel function for the BUR kinase in transcriptional regulation through the selective control of histone modifications...
- A conserved RING finger protein required for histone H2B monoubiquitination and cell size controlWilliam W Hwang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Mol Cell 11:261-6. 2003..The identity of the cognate ubiquitin ligase is unknown. We identify Bre1 as an evolutionarily conserved RING finger protein required in vivo for both H2B ubiquitination and H3 K4 ..
- The DNA damage checkpoint response requires histone H2B ubiquitination by Rad6-Bre1 and H3 methylation by Dot1Michele Giannattasio
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomolecolari e Biotecnologie, Universita degli Studi di Milano, 20133 Milano, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:9879-86. 2005..We demonstrate that ubiquitination of histone H2B on lysine 123 by the Rad6-Bre1 complex, is necessary for activation of Rad53 kinase and cell cycle arrest...
- Chemo-Genetic Interactions Between Histone Modification and the Antiproliferation Drug AICAR Are Conserved in Yeast and HumansDelphine Albrecht
Universite de Bordeaux, IBGC UMR 5095, F 33077 Bordeaux, France
Genetics 204:1447-1460. 2016..Here, we found that loss of several histone-modifying enzymes, including Bre1 (histone H2B ubiquitination) and Set1 (histone H3 lysine 4 methylation), greatly enhanced AICAR inhibition on ..
- Structure of the yeast Bre1 RING domainPankaj Kumar
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21205
Proteins 83:1185-90. 2015..The RING E3 ligase, Bre1, catalyzes monoubiquitination of H2B in concert with the E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme, Rad6...
- K63 polyubiquitination is a new modulator of the oxidative stress responseGustavo M Silva
Center for Genomics and Systems Biology, New York University, New York, New York, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 22:116-23. 2015..enzyme Ubp2, leading to accumulation of K63 conjugates assembled by the Rad6 ubiquitin conjugase and the Bre1 ubiquitin ligase...
- Monoubiquitination of histone H2B is intrinsic to the Bre1 RING domain-Rad6 interaction and augmented by a second Rad6-binding site on Bre1Eleonora Turco
From the Max F Perutz Laboratories, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna Biocenter VBC, Dr Bohr Gasse 9 3, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 290:5298-310. 2015..The yeast RING E3 ligase Bre1 combines with the E2 Rad6 to monoubiquitinate histone H2B during transcription...
- Catalysis-dependent stabilization of Bre1 fine-tunes histone H2B ubiquitylation to regulate gene transcriptionGlenn G Wozniak
Curriculum in Genetics and Molecular Biology
Genes Dev 28:1647-52. 2014..Here we show in yeast that H2BK123ub1 is regulated in part through the protein stability of the E3 ubiquitin ligase Bre1. We found that Bre1 stability is controlled by the Rtf1 subunit of the polymerase-associated factor (PAF) complex ..
- Histone H3 K79 methylation states play distinct roles in UV-induced sister chromatid exchange and cell cycle checkpoint arrest in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAlyssa A Rossodivita
Department of Biology, Denison University, Granville, OH 43023, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 42:6286-99. 2014....
- A role for H2B ubiquitylation in DNA replicationKelly M Trujillo
Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Mol Cell 48:734-46. 2012..of DNA replication in budding yeast, and as DNA is replicated its levels are maintained on daughter strands by the Bre1 ubiquitin ligase...
- Reversal of PCNA ubiquitylation by Ubp10 in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAlfonso Gallego-Sánchez
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular del Cancer, Universidad de Salamanca CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
PLoS Genet 8:e1002826. 2012..Finally, we report that Ubp10 counteracts Rad18 E3-ubiquitin ligase activity on PCNA at lysine 164 in such a manner that deregulation of Ubp10 expression causes tolerance impairment and MMS hypersensitivity...
- Functional analysis of Bre1p, an E3 ligase for histone H2B ubiquitylation, in regulation of RNA polymerase II association with active genes and transcription in vivoRwik Sen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
J Biol Chem 288:9619-33. 2013..we find here that the association of RNA polymerase II with the active GAL1 coding sequence is not decreased in Δbre1, although it is required for H2B ubiquitylation...
- Effects of the Paf1 complex and histone modifications on snoRNA 3'-end formation reveal broad and locus-specific regulationBrett N Tomson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Mol Cell Biol 33:170-82. 2013..cerevisiae, implicates the participation of transcriptional proteins and histone modifications in this process, and suggests that the Paf1C contributes to the fine tuning of nuanced levels of regulation that exist at individual loci...
- A Bre1-associated protein, large 1 (Lge1), promotes H2B ubiquitylation during the early stages of transcription elongationYoung Ha Song
Division of Molecular and Life Science, College of Science and Technology, Hanyang University, 1271 Sa 3 dong, Sangnok gu, Ansan, Gyeonggi do 426 791, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 285:2361-7. 2010..Here, we show that Lge1 (Large 1) is found in a complex containing Rad6.Bre1 and that it controls the recruitment of Bre1, a ubiquitin ligase, and Ubp8, a deubiquitylase, to promote ..
- Methylated H3K4, a transcription-associated histone modification, is involved in the DNA damage response pathwayDavid Faucher
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Genet 6:. 2010..Given the high degree of conservation for the methyltransferase and the histone mark in a broad variety of organisms, these results could have similar implications for genome stability mechanisms in vertebrate and mammalian cells...
- Loss of H3 K79 trimethylation leads to suppression of Rtt107-dependent DNA damage sensitivity through the translesion synthesis pathwayNancy Lévesque
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 4H4, Canada
J Biol Chem 285:35113-22. 2010..These data revealed a multifaceted functional relationship between Rtt107 and Dot1 in the DNA damage response and maintenance of genome integrity...
- Bre1p-mediated histone H2B ubiquitylation regulates apoptosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeDavid Walter
M E Müller Institute for Structural Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Cell Sci 123:1931-9. 2010b>BRE1 encodes an E3 ubiquitin protein ligase that is required for the ubiquitylation of histone H2B at lysine 123 (K123)...
- Critical determinants for chromatin binding by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Yng1 exist outside of the plant homeodomain fingerAdam Chruscicki
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
Genetics 185:469-77. 2010..Although these motifs can bind histones independently, together they increase the apparent association of Yng1 for the H3 tail...
- Nonredundant requirement for multiple histone modifications for the early anaphase release of the mitotic exit regulator Cdc14 from nucleolar chromatinWilliam W Hwang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000588. 2009..analysis of genetic interactions, we report here a novel requirement for the ubiquitination of histone H2B by the Bre1 ubiquitin ligase in the cell cycle-dependent release of Cdc14 from nucleolar chromatin when the MEN is inactivated...
- The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rad6 postreplication repair and Siz1/Srs2 homologous recombination-inhibiting pathways process DNA damage that arises in asf1 mutantsEllen S Kats
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Departments of Medicine and Cellular and Molecular Medicine, and Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, UC San Diego School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0669, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:5226-37. 2009..Our results show that ASF1 probably contributes to the maintenance of genome stability through multiple mechanisms, some of which involve the PRR and HRS pathways...
- The cap binding complex influences H2B ubiquitination by facilitating splicing of the SUS1 pre-mRNAMunshi Azad Hossain
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
RNA 15:1515-27. 2009....
- RAD6-Mediated transcription-coupled H2B ubiquitylation directly stimulates H3K4 methylation in human cellsJaehoon Kim
The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Cell 137:459-71. 2009..These studies establish the natural H2B ubiquitylation factors in human cells and also detail the mechanistic basis for H2B ubiquitylation and function during transcription...
- Genome-wide analysis of factors affecting transcription elongation and DNA repair: a new role for PAF and Ccr4-not in transcription-coupled repairHélène Gaillard
Centro Andaluz de Biologia Molecular y Medicina Regenerativa CABIMER, Universidad de Sevilla CSIC, Sevilla, Spain
PLoS Genet 5:e1000364. 2009..Our data provide evidence that subunits of the SAGA and Ccr4-Not complexes, Mediator, Bre1, Bur2, and Fun12 affect transcription elongation to different extents...
- Ubiquitylation of the COMPASS component Swd2 links H2B ubiquitylation to H3K4 trimethylationAdeline Vitaliano-Prunier
Institut Jacques Monod, Universite Paris VII, Universite Paris VI, CNRS, 2 place Jussieu, Tour 43, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Cell Biol 10:1365-71. 2008..We found that Rad6/Bre1 ubiquitylation enzymes responsible for H2B ubiquitylation also participate directly in Swd2 modification...
- Polyubiquitylation of histone H2BFuqiang Geng
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Mol Biol Cell 19:3616-24. 2008..There are at least two distinct modes of H2B polyubiquitylation: one that occurs at K123 and depends on the Rad6-Bre1 ubiquitylation machinery and another that occurs on multiple lysine residues and is catalyzed by an uncharacterized ..
- Rad6 plays a role in transcriptional activation through ubiquitylation of histone H2BCheng Fu Kao
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Genes Dev 18:184-95. 2004..Rad6 promoter association depends on the Gal4 activator and the Rad6-associated E3 ligase, Bre1, but is independent of the histone acetyltransferase, Gcn5...
- Identification of Rkr1, a nuclear RING domain protein with functional connections to chromatin modification in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeMary A Braun
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, 269 Crawford Hall, 4249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:2800-11. 2007..Taken together, our results identify a new participant in a protein ubiquitylation pathway within the nucleus that acts to modulate chromatin function and transcription...
- The RNA polymerase II kinase Ctk1 regulates positioning of a 5' histone methylation boundary along genesTiaojiang Xiao
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 405 Mary Ellen Jones, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7260, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:721-31. 2007....
- Rad6-Bre1-mediated histone H2B ubiquitylation modulates the formation of double-strand breaks during meiosisKentaro Yamashita
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, and Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:11380-5. 2004An E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme, Rad6, working with an E3 ubiquitin ligase Bre1, catalyzes monoubiquitylation of histone H2B on a C-terminal lysine residue. The rad6 mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae shows a meiotic prophase arrest...
- Regulation of gross chromosomal rearrangements by ubiquitin and SUMO ligases in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAkira Motegi
Genome Instability Section, Genetics and Molecular Biology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 49, Room 4A22, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:1424-33. 2006..In contrast, Siz1 SUMO ligase and another ubiquitin ligase, Bre1, which target for PCNA and histone H2B, respectively, have GCR-supporting activities...
- Genome-wide nuclear morphology screen identifies novel genes involved in nuclear architecture and gene-silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeMaria Teresa Teixeira
Département de Structure et Dynamique des Génomes, Unité de Génétique Moléculaire des Levures, URA 2171 CNRS and UFR 927 Univ P M Curie, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Cedex 15, Paris, France
J Mol Biol 321:551-61. 2002..Interestingly, these nuclear morphology alterations were associated with chromatin-silencing defects. These genes provide a molecular context to explore the functional link between nuclear architecture and gene silencing...
- Repair Pathways for Ionizing Radiation Damage YeastJohn Game; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recent and existing mutants will be studied in detail with this system to determine the molecular involvement of each gene in DSB repair, sister chromatid exchange and recombination between chromosomes. ..