Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Xdh
Description: xanthine dehydrogenase
Alias: XOR, xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase, xanthine oxidoreductase
- Identification of two mutations in human xanthine dehydrogenase gene responsible for classical type I xanthinuriaK Ichida
Second Department of Medicine, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo 105
J Clin Invest 99:2391-7. 1997..Thus, in three subjects with type I xanthinuria, the primary genetic defects were confirmed to be in the xanthine dehydrogenase gene...
- Xanthine oxidoreductase depletion induces renal interstitial fibrosis through aberrant lipid and purine accumulation in renal tubulesToshio Ohtsubo
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Hypertension 54:868-76. 2009b>Xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) is an enzyme responsible for purine degradation, reactive oxygen species production, and adipogenesis. XOR gene-disrupted (XOR(-/-)) mice demonstrate renal failure and early death within several months...
- Hepatocyte growth factor inhibits hypoxia/reoxygenation-induced activation of xanthine oxidase in endothelial cells through the JAK2 signaling pathwayYing qian Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, P R China
Int J Mol Med 38:1055-62. 2016..Furthermore, HGF prevents XO activation following H/R primarily by inhibiting the JAK2 signaling pathway and in turn, inhibiting the increase in cytosolic Ca2+. ..
- Febuxostat, a novel xanthine oxidoreductase inhibitor, improves hypertension and endothelial dysfunction in spontaneously hypertensive ratsTakashi Shirakura
Pharmaceutical Development Research Laboratories, Teijin Institute for Bio Medical Research, Teijin Pharma Ltd, 4 3 2, Asahigaoka, Hino, 191 852, Tokyo, Japan
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 389:831-8. 2016....
- New 1,4-Dihydropyridines Down-regulate Nitric Oxide in Animals with Streptozotocin-induced Diabetes Mellitus and Protect Deoxyribonucleic Acid against Peroxynitrite ActionElina Leonova
Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Riga, Latvia
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 119:19-31. 2016..Furthermore, inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and an inhibitor of xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) decreased NO production in kidneys of diabetic animals...
- Reactive oxygen species derived from xanthine oxidase interrupt dimerization of breast cancer resistance protein, resulting in suppression of uric acid excretion to the intestinal lumenJiro Ogura
Laboratory of Clinical Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics, Division of Pharmasciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Kita 12 jo, Nishi 6 chome, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 0812, Japan
Biochem Pharmacol 97:89-98. 2015..ROS derived from XO may cause the suppression of function of the ileum for the excretion of uric acid with aging. The results of our study provide a new insight into the causes of increasing hyperuricemia/gout prevalence with aging. ..
- HIF-1α activation by intermittent hypoxia requires NADPH oxidase stimulation by xanthine oxidaseJayasri Nanduri
Institute for Integrative Physiology and Center for Systems Biology of O2 Sensing, Biological Sciences Division, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0119762. 2015..More importantly, silencing XO blocked IH-induced upregulation of HIF-1α demonstrating that HIF-1α activation by IH requires Nox2 activation by XO. ..
- Nitrite reductase activity of rat and human xanthine oxidase, xanthine dehydrogenase, and aldehyde oxidase: evaluation of their contribution to NO formation in vivoLuisa B Maia
UCIBIO, REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2829 516 Caparica, Portugal
Biochemistry 54:685-710. 2015..Collectively, our results supported the possibility that XO/XD and AO can contribute to NO generation under hypoxia inside a living human cell. Furthermore, the molecular mechanism of XO/AO-catalyzed nitrite reduction was revised. ..
- Xanthine crystals induced by topiroxostat, a xanthine oxidoreductase inhibitor, in rats, cause transitional cell tumorsTakeo Shimo
Research Laboratories 2, Fuji Yakuhin Co, Ltd, 636 1 Iidashinden, Nishi ku, Saitama shi, Saitama, 331 0068, Japan
Arch Toxicol 88:1035-42. 2014..underlying mechanism of transitional cell tumors found in the carcinogenicity testing of topiroxostat, a xanthine oxidoreductase inhibitor, in which topiroxostat was orally given to F344 rats at 0.3, 1, and 3 mg/kg for 2 years...
- Xanthine oxidase inhibition preserves left ventricular systolic but not diastolic function in cardiac volume overloadJames D Gladden
University of Alabama at Birmingham UABComprehensive Cardiovascular Center, UAB Birmingham, Alabama
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 305:H1440-50. 2013..However, LV remodeling and diastolic properties are not improved, which may explain the failure of XO inhibition to improve symptoms and hospitalizations in patients with severe heart failure...
- New developments in anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicityA Mordente
Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Catholic University School of Medicine, 00168 Roma, Italy
Curr Med Chem 16:1656-72. 2009....
- Associations of hypertension and its complications with variations in the xanthine dehydrogenase geneJin Yang
Division of Hypertension and Nephrology, National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 31:931-40. 2008..Xanthine dehydrogenase (XDH) produces urate and, in its oxidase isoform, reactive oxygen species...
- Crystal structures of urate bound form of xanthine oxidoreductase: substrate orientation and structure of the key reaction intermediateKen Okamoto
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyou ku, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 132:17080-3. 2010..have been proposed for the binding mode of the substrate xanthine to and its activation mechanism by xanthine oxidoreductase. In an effort to distinguish between the two models, we determined the crystal structures of the urate ..
- Effect of lowering uric acid on renal disease in the type 2 diabetic db/db miceTomoki Kosugi
Division of Nephrology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F481-8. 2009..In conclusion, hyperuricemia has a pathogenic role in the mild tubulointerstitial injury associated with diabetic nephropathy but not glomerular damage in db/db mice. Lowering uric acid may reduce tubulointerstitial injury in diabetes...
- Mannitol attenuates kidney damage induced by xanthine oxidase-associated pancreas ischemia-reperfusionWisam Khoury
Division of Surgery B, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Surg Res 160:163-8. 2010..It may be propagated by xanthine oxidase (XO)-generated oxidant stress. We investigated whether pancreas IR directly and acutely induces renal dysfunction and if this outcome could be prevented by mannitol...
- Mobilization of xanthine oxidase from the gastrointestinal tract in acute pancreatitisSusana Granell
Dept, of Experimental Pathology, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas IIBB CSIC, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Gastroenterol 4:1. 2004b>Xanthine oxidoreductase has been proposed to play a role in the development of local and systemic effects of acute pancreatitis...
- [The protective effects of carbachol on visceral ischemia-induced lipid peroxidation injury in rats with sepsis]Sen Hu
Burns Institute, First Affiliated Hospital of PLA General Hospital, Beijing, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 21:552-4. 2009..To investigate the effect of carbachol (CAR) on visceral perfusion and lipid oxidation injury in rats with sepsis...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme activities in cancerous bladder tissue and their relation with bacterial infection: a controlled clinical studyNihayet Bayraktar
Department of Medical Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
J Clin Lab Anal 24:25-30. 2010....
- Febuxostat suppressed renal ischemia-reperfusion injury via reduced oxidative stressHidetoshi Tsuda
Department of Advanced Technology for Transplantation, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 427:266-72. 2012..In conclusion; novel XO inhibitor, febuxostat, can protect kidney from renal I/R injury, and may contribute to preserve kidney function...
- Hypouricemic effect of the methanol extract from Prunus mume fruit in miceLi Tao Yi
Department of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Chemical Engineering, Huaqiao University, Xiamen, Fujian Province, PR China
Pharm Biol 50:1423-7. 2012..The fruit of the Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc (Rosaceae) is used as a health food or medicinal material in traditional herb medicine for a long time in Eastern Asian countries...
- Quercetin Protects against Cadmium-Induced Renal Uric Acid Transport System Alteration and Lipid Metabolism Disorder in RatsJu Wang
Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012:548430. 2012..Cd exposure induced hyperuricemia with renal XOR hyperactivity and UA excretion dysfunction in rats...
- Exaggerated liver injury induced by renal ischemia reperfusion in diabetes: effect of exenatideJitendra D Vaghasiya
Department of Pharmacology, Smt R B P M P C, Atkot 360 040, India
Saudi J Gastroenterol 16:174-80. 2010..This study was designed to investigate the possible effect of exenatide (Glucagon like Peptide-1 receptor agonist) on liver injury (distant organ) induced by renal ischemia reperfusion (IR) in diabetic rats...
- Polydatin ameliorates renal injury by attenuating oxidative stress-related inflammatory responses in fructose-induced urate nephropathic miceLvyi Chen
School of Pharmacy, South Central University for Nationalities, Wuhan 430074, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 52:28-35. 2013..These findings elucidated that polydatin exhibited prominent nephroprotective activities and low toxic effects...
- 6-Mercaptopurine-induced histopathological changes and xanthine oxidase expression in rat placentaKenji Taki
Department of Biochemical Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Showa University, Tokyo, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 37:607-15. 2012..The 6-MP-treatment resulted in the increased xanthine oxidase (Xdh) expression in the placenta, which gene is related to the ischemic condition of tissues...
- Allopurinol benefits left ventricular mass and endothelial dysfunction in chronic kidney diseaseMichelle P Kao
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:1382-9. 2011..Because LVH and endothelial dysfunction associate with prognosis, these results call for further trials to examine whether allopurinol reduces cardiovascular events in patients with CKD and LVH...
- Aldehyde and xanthine oxidase activities in tissues of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats: effects of vitamin E and selenium supplementationTayyebeh Ghaffari
Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Biol Trace Elem Res 147:217-25. 2012..The results also indicate that administration of vitamin E and selenium has hypolipidemic, hypoglycemic, and antioxidative effects. It decreases tissue damages in diabetic rats, too...
- Taurine ameliorates alloxan-induced diabetic renal injury, oxidative stress-related signaling pathways and apoptosis in ratsJoydeep Das
Division of Molecular Medicine, Bose Institute, P 1 12, CIT Scheme VII M, Kolkata 700054, India
Amino Acids 43:1509-23. 2012..Taurine supplementation in regular diet could, therefore, be beneficial to regulate diabetes-associated renal complications...
- Use of xanthine oxidase inhibitor febuxostat inhibits renal interstitial inflammation and fibrosis in unilateral ureteral obstructive nephropathyHiroki Omori
Department of Geriatric Medicine and Nephrology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 16:549-56. 2012..While some reports suggest a relationship between hyperuricemia and chronic kidney disease (CKD), the renoprotective mechanism of an XO inhibitor in CKD remains unknown. Recent reports have focused on XO as a source of oxidative stress...
- The efficacy and safety of febuxostat for urate lowering in gout patients ≥65 years of ageRobert L Jackson
Takeda Global Research and Development Centers, Inc, One Takeda Parkway, Deerfield, Illinois 60015, USA
BMC Geriatr 12:11. 2012..The objective of this post hoc analysis was to examine the efficacy and safety of ULT with febuxostat or allopurinol in a subset of elderly subjects enrolled in the CONFIRMS trial...
- Nephroprotective efficacy of chrysin against cisplatin-induced toxicity via attenuation of oxidative stressSarwat Sultana
Molecular Carcinogenesis and Chemoprevention Division, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Faculty of Science, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi, India
J Pharm Pharmacol 64:872-81. 2012..Chrysin possess antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. The aim of this study was to investigate the protective efficacy of chrysin against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity...
- Nicorandil, a K(atp) channel opener, alleviates chronic renal injury by targeting podocytes and macrophagesYoshifuru Tamura
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, Univ of Colorado Denver, C281, 12900E 19th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F339-49. 2012..In conclusion, nicorandil reduces albuminuria and ameliorates renal injury by blocking oxidative stress in chronic kidney disease...
- Acrylonitrile-induced gastric toxicity in rats: the role of xanthine oxidaseFahad A Al-Abbasi
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Med Sci Monit 18:BR208-14. 2012..The gastrointestinal tract is an important target organ for ACN toxicity. The objective of the present study was to investigate the role of xanthine oxidase (XO) in ACN-induced gastric toxicity in rats...
- A mouse model of early-onset renal failure due to a xanthine dehydrogenase nonsense mutationSian E Piret
Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e45217. 2012..8 Mbp region on chromosome 17E1.3. DNA sequencing of the xanthine dehydrogenase (Xdh) gene revealed a nonsense mutation at codon 26 that co-segregated with affected RENF mice...
- Effect of allopurinol on cardiovascular incidence among hypertensive nephropathy patients: the Gonryo studyHiroyuki Terawaki
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 17:549-53. 2013..The present study aimed to clarify the beneficial effect of allopurinol on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in a cohort of hypertensive nephropathy patients with impaired kidney function...
- Effect of allopurinol on blood pressure of adolescents with newly diagnosed essential hypertension: a randomized trialDaniel I Feig
Department of Pediatrics, Renal Section, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
JAMA 300:924-32. 2008..Experimentally increasing uric acid levels using a uricase inhibitor causes systemic hypertension in animal models...
- Renal oxidative stress following CO2 pneumoperitoneum-like conditionsWisam Khoury
Division of General Surgery B, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Surg Endosc 23:776-82. 2009..We investigated the possibility that PNP-associated renal damage is pressure dependent, and that oxidative stress is thereby involved...
- The prophylactic protective effect of sesamol against ferric-nitrilotriacetate-induced acute renal injury in miceDur Zong Hsu
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan, Taiwan
Food Chem Toxicol 46:2736-41. 2008..Therefore, we concluded that sesamol protected mice against Fe-NTA-induced oxidative-stress-associated acute renal injury by at least partially inhibiting the production of reactive oxygen species...
- Protective effect of endogenous hydrogen sulfide against oxidative stress in gastric ischemia-reperfusion injuryJie Cui
Department of Physiology, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou 221004, P R China
Exp Ther Med 5:689-694. 2013..05). Endogenous H(2)S has a protective effect against GI-R in rats by inhibiting oxygen free radical overproduction...
- Effects of imperatorin, the active component from Radix Angelicae (Baizhi), on the blood pressure and oxidative stress in 2K,1C hypertensive ratsYan Jun Cao
School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, PR China
Phytomedicine 20:1048-54. 2013..IMP showed antihypertensive and antioxidant effects in the renal injury of renovascular hypertensive rats, suggesting that IMP could be of therapeutic use in preventing renal injury related hypertension...
- The xanthine oxidase inhibitor oxypurinol reduces cancer cachexia-induced cardiomyopathyJochen Springer
Applied Cachexia Research, Department of Cardiology, Charite Medical School, Berlin, Germany Center for Cardiovascular Research, Charite Medical School, Berlin, Germany Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:3527-31. 2013..Xanthine oxidase (XO) metabolizes purines to uric acid and its inhibition has been shown to improve clinical outcome in patients with chronic heart failure...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in rats attenuates ischemia-reperfusion testicular injury through blockade of oxidative stress, suppression of inflammation, and reduction of nitric oxide formationYu Zhang
Department of Hyperbaric Oxygen, PLA Navy General Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Urology 82:489.e9-489.e15. 2013....
- Multiple antioxidants improve cardiac complications and inhibit cardiac cell death in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsSantosh Kumar
National Centre for Cell Science, NCCS Complex, Ganeshkhind, Pune, India
PLoS ONE 8:e67009. 2013....
- Efficacy and safety of allopurinol in patients with hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiencyRosa J Torres
Division of Clinical Biochemistry, La Paz University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Metabolism 56:1179-86. 2007..Xanthine lithiasis, developing as a consequence of allopurinol therapy, should be preventable by adjustment of allopurinol dose...
- Role of xanthine oxidoreductase in experimental acute renal-allograft rejectionKai Sun
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pathology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Transplantation 77:1683-92. 2004..b>Xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) may constitute a relevant reactive oxygen species (ROS) source. The study was conducted (1)...
- Identification of the rat xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase promoterC W Chow
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232
Nucleic Acids Res 22:1846-54. 1994..processes with a wide spectrum of clinical presentations; the enzyme xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase (XDH/XO) is thought to play a key role in ischemia--reperfusion injury...
- Aluminium increases xanthine oxidase activity and disturbs antioxidant status in the ratR Moumen
Equipe d Université Hydrolases et Cytotoxicité, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire et Université, Caen, France
J Trace Elem Med Biol 15:89-93. 2001..Our data suggest that Al toxicity could be mediated by its action on both pro- and anti-oxidant enzymes. The biological significance of these findings remains to be established...
- Xanthine oxidase and aldehyde oxidase: a simple procedure for the simultaneous purification from rat liverLuisa Maia
Departamento de Quimica e Bioquimica, Faculdade de Ciencias, Universidade de Lisboa, Edificio C8, Campo Grande, 1749 016 Lisboa, Portugal
Arch Biochem Biophys 400:48-53. 2002..The purified enzymes gave single bands of approximately 300 kDa on a polyacrylamide gel gradient electrophoresis and displayed the characteristic absorption spectra of highly purified enzymes...
- Xanthine oxidase mediates cytokine-induced, but not hormone-induced bone resorptionJanos M Kanczler
Department of Medical Sciences, Bone and Joint Research Group, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
Free Radic Res 37:179-87. 2003..Therefore, XO may play a pivotal role in cytokine-induced bone resorption and, if manipulated appropriately, could show a therapeutic benefit in inflammatory bone disorders such as RA...
- Xanthine oxidase and activated neutrophils cause oxidative damage to skeletal muscle after contractile claudicationA R Judge
PO Box 118205, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H252-6. 2004....
- Activities of xanthine oxidoreductase and antioxidant enzymes in different tissues of diabetic ratsYakup Aliciguzel
Department of Biochemistry, Akdeniz University Medical School, Antalya, Turkey
J Lab Clin Med 142:172-7. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate whether an increase in oxidative stress related to xanthine oxidoreductase occurs in diabetes...
- Estrogen modulates xanthine dehydrogenase/xanthine oxidase activity by a receptor-independent mechanismRohit Budhiraja
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Tupper Research Institute, Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 5:705-11. 2003Hypoxia causes up-regulation and activation of xanthine dehydrogenase/xanthine oxidase (XDH/XO) in vitro and in the lungs in vivo...
- Proteolytic conversion of xanthine dehydrogenase from the NAD-dependent type to the O2-dependent type. Amino acid sequence of rat liver xanthine dehydrogenase and identification of the cleavage sites of the enzyme protein during irreversible conversion byY Amaya
Department of Biochemistry, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Japan
J Biol Chem 265:14170-5. 1990..Hydropathy analysis around the cysteine residues suggests that the 2Fe/2S sites are associated with the 20-kDa fragment portion of the enzyme...
- Sequential activation of JAKs, STATs and xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase by hypoxia in lung microvascular endothelial cellsGuansong Wang
Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Xinqiao Hospital of Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400037, PR China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:461-70. 2008Xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase (XDH/XO) is associated with various pathological conditions related to the endothelial injury. However, the molecular mechanism underlying the activation of XDH/XO by hypoxia remains largely unknown...
- Mechanism of the conversion of xanthine dehydrogenase to xanthine oxidase: identification of the two cysteine disulfide bonds and crystal structure of a non-convertible rat liver xanthine dehydrogenase mutantTomoko Nishino
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:24888-94. 2005..The crystal structure of the C535A/C992R/C1324S mutant was determined in its demolybdo form, confirming its dehydrogenase conformation...
- Decreasing xanthine oxidase-mediated oxidative stress prevents useful cellular adaptations to exercise in ratsMari Carmen Gomez-Cabrera
Catholic University of Valencia, Spain
J Physiol 567:113-20. 2005....
- Nitrite-derived nitric oxide by xanthine oxidoreductase protects the liver against ischemia-reperfusion injuryPing Lu
Department of General Surgery, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 4:350-5. 2005It was demonstrated that xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR), during ischemia, catalyzes the formation of nitric oxide (NO) from nitrite (NO2-) and this NO2- -derived NO protects the isolated perfused rat heart against the damaging effects of ..
- Pivotal role of xanthine oxidase in the initiation of tubulointerstitial renal injury in rats with hyperlipidemiaW Gwinner
Department of Nephrology, Medical School of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Kidney Int 69:481-7. 2006..These results point to an important role for XO in the early stage of hyperlipidemia-associated renal injury, mediating macrophage infiltration by a putatively redox-dependent upregulation of MCP-1 and VCAM-1...
- Oxidative stress-associated vascular aging is xanthine oxidase-dependent but not NAD(P)H oxidase-dependentMohammad A Newaz
Center for Cardiovascular Diseases, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX 77004, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 48:88-94. 2006..05) as well as XO expression in the aorta of aging rats. These results suggest that increased free radical generation-associated increase in SBP in aging rats is XO but not NAD(P)H oxidase-dependent...
- Two mutations convert mammalian xanthine oxidoreductase to highly superoxide-productive xanthine oxidaseRyosuke Asai
Department of Biochemistry and Department of Molecular Biology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Tokyo, Japan
J Biochem 141:525-34. 2007Reactive oxygen species are generated by various systems, including NADPH oxidases, xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) and mitochondrial respiratory enzymes, and contribute to many physiological and pathological phenomena...
- PD98059 enhanced insulin, cytokine, and growth factor activation of xanthine oxidoreductase in epithelial cells involves STAT3 and the glucocorticoid receptorLaura E Roberts
Department of Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath, UK
J Cell Biochem 101:1567-87. 2007..In the present work, promoter activation analyses of xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) in epithelial cells uncovered the unexpected opposite effect of these inhibitors on activation of ..
- NADH oxidase activity of rat and human liver xanthine oxidoreductase: potential role in superoxide productionLuisa Maia
Centro de Quimica e Bioquimica, Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade de Lisboa, 1749 016 Lisbon, Portugal
J Biol Inorg Chem 12:777-87. 2007..NADH oxidase activity of both xanthine dehydrogenase (XD) and xanthine oxidase (XO) forms of rat liver xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) and to evaluate the potential role of this mammalian enzyme as an O2*- source, kinetics and ..
- Nitrite confers protection against myocardial infarction: role of xanthine oxidoreductase, NADPH oxidase and K(ATP) channelsJohn E Baker
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 43:437-44. 2007..protection against myocardial infarction in two rat models of ischemia/reperfusion injury and the role of xanthine oxidoreductase, NADPH oxidase, nitric oxide synthase and K(ATP) channels in mediating nitrite-induced cardioprotection...
- Differential effects of NADPH oxidase and xanthine oxidase inhibition on sympathetic reinnervation in postinfarct rat heartsTsung Ming Lee
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Section, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
Free Radic Biol Med 50:1461-70. 2011..Xanthine oxidase inhibition ameliorates sympathetic innervation and arrhythmias possibly via inhibition of the peroxynitrite-mediated nerve growth factor pathway...
- Contribution of xanthine oxidase-derived superoxide to chronic hypoxic pulmonary hypertension in neonatal ratsRobert P Jankov
Department of Newborn and Developmental Pediatrics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, 76 Grenville Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L233-45. 2008..Due to the potential for adverse effects on normal growth, targeting XO may represent a superior "antioxidant" strategy to ROS scavengers for neonates with pulmonary hypertension...
- Nitric oxide production from nitrite occurs primarily in tissues not in the blood: critical role of xanthine oxidase and aldehyde oxidaseHaitao Li
Center for Biomedical EPR Spectroscopy and Imaging, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 283:17855-63. 2008....
- Xanthine oxidase and mitochondria contribute to vascular superoxide anion generation in DOCA-salt hypertensive ratsEmilie C Viel
Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1E2
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H281-8. 2008..Our findings demonstrate the involvement of ET(A) receptor-modulated O(2)(*-) derived from XO and from mitochondrial oxidative enzymes in arteries from DOCA-salt rats...
- Mechanisms underlying erythrocyte and endothelial nitrite reduction to nitric oxide in hypoxia: role for xanthine oxidoreductase and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseAndrew J Webb
William Harvey Research Institute, Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Barts and The London, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
Circ Res 103:957-64. 2008..Our previous studies suggest that xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) is an important nitrite reductase in the heart and kidney...
- Xanthine oxidase contributes to mechanical ventilation-induced diaphragmatic oxidative stress and contractile dysfunctionMelissa A Whidden
Dept of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:385-94. 2009..Nonetheless, the failure of XO inhibition to completely prevent MV-induced diaphragmatic oxidative damage suggests that other sources of oxidant production are active in the diaphragm during prolonged MV...
- Renal xanthine oxidoreductase activity during development of hypertension in spontaneously hypertensive ratsJuha T Laakso
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Hypertens 22:1333-40. 2004Hyperuricaemia and reactive oxygen species have recently been associated with essential hypertension. Xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) produces urate and, in its oxidase isoform, reactive oxygen species also...
- Dietary inhibition of xanthine oxidase attenuates radiation-induced endothelial dysfunction in rat aortaKevin G Soucy
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 N Wolfe St, Tower 711, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:1250-8. 2010..These findings demonstrate that XO inhibition can offer protection from radiation-induced endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular complications...
- Cocaine induces oxidative damage to skin via xanthine oxidase and nitric oxide synthaseMeital Portugal-Cohen
School of Pharmacy, Institute of Drug Research, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
J Dermatol Sci 58:105-12. 2010..Heavy cocaine abusers are known to develop adverse skin manifestations, however, a possible mechanism for such damages has not yet been proposed...
- Differential effects of xanthine oxidase inhibition and exercise on albumin concentration in rat tissuesAristidis S Veskoukis
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35:244-50. 2010..Our findings suggest that the increase in albumin concentration in skeletal muscles may be an antioxidant mechanism response, but may depend on the type of oxidative stress and be stimulation- and tissue-specific...
- Primary Prevention of Hypertension in Obese AdolescentsDaniel Feig; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Uric Acid in Childhood HypertensionDaniel Feig; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETICS AND INTERMITTENT MYOCARDIAL HYPOXIAJohn Baker; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CHRONIC HYPOXIA AND RESISTANCE TO MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIAJohn E Baker; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies are expected to have an impact on our understanding of the biology of Tpo in heart and may lead to the development of new therapeutics for the treatment of myocardial infarction. ..
- Radiation injury to the heartJohn E Baker; Fiscal Year: 2010..1 ..