Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sst
Alias: SS-14, SS-28, Smst, somatostatin
- Neuronostatin acts via GPR107 to increase cAMP-independent PKA phosphorylation and proglucagon mRNA accumulation in pancreatic α-cellsMollisa M Elrick
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 310:R143-55. 2016Neuronostatin (NST) is a recently described peptide that is produced from the somatostatin preprohormone in pancreatic δ-cells...
- An intracellular multi-effector complex mediates somatostatin receptor 1 activation of phospho-tyrosine phosphatase etaSara Arena
Section of Pharmacology, Department of Oncology, Biology and Genetics, Univertsity of Genova 16132 Genova, Italy
Mol Endocrinol 21:229-46. 2007..Here we characterize, in Chinese hamster ovary-k1 cells, the intracellular pathway that from somatostatin receptor 1 (SSTR1), leads to the activation of PTPeta and that involves, in a multimeric complex and sequential ..
- Somatostatin and gamma-aminobutyric acid inhibit interleukin-1 beta-stimulated release of interleukin-6 from rat C6 glioma cellsBryan L Spangelo
Department of Chemistry, University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV 89154 4003, USA
Neuroimmunomodulation 11:332-40. 2004..We investigated the ability of inhibitory neurotransmitters to alter the interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta)-stimulated release of interleukin-6 (IL-6) from cultured glial tumor cells...
- Immunohistochemical expression and colocalization of somatostatin, carboxypeptidase-E and prohormone convertases 1 and 2 in rat brainS Billova
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 124
Neuroscience 147:403-18. 2007..CPE), prohormone convertase 1 (PC1) and prohormone convertase 2 (PC2) may function as sorting elements for somatostatin (SST) for its maturation and processing to appropriate targets...
- Synaptic relationship between somatostatin- and neurokinin-1 receptor-immunoreactive neurons in the pre-Bötzinger complex of ratsXiao Yan Wei
Institute of Neurosciences, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
J Neurochem 122:923-33. 2012..b>Somatostatin (SST) and neurokinin 1 receptor (NK1R) immunoreactivity have been used as markers of the pre-BötC...
- Agonist-biased trafficking of somatostatin receptor 2A in enteric neuronsPeishen Zhao
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
J Biol Chem 288:25689-700. 2013b>Somatostatin (SST) 14 and SST 28 activate somatostatin 2A receptors (SSTR2A) on enteric neurons to control gut functions...
- Somatostatin enhances tooth-pulp-evoked cervical dorsal horn neuronal activity in the rat via inhibition of GABAergic interneuronsMasayuki Takahashi
Department of Physiology, School of Life Dentistry at Tokyo, Nippon Dental University, 1 9 20, Fujimi, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 102 8159, Japan Electronic address
Brain Res Bull 100:76-83. 2014..analysis combined with anatomical approach suggests that a potential disinhibitory mechanism involving somatostatin (SST), which is released by interneurons in the superficial dorsal horn, contributes to nociceptive ..
- The role of C-Fos protein, somatostatin and neuropeptide Y in the pathogenesis of ischemic brain injuries based on animal model of cerebral ischemiaAleksandar A Jovanović
University of Belgrade, School of Medicine, Belgrade, Serbia
Coll Antropol 37:847-52. 2013..this study was to define all the areas of changes in expression of nuclear c-Fos protein (c-Fos), cytoplasmic somatostatin (SS) and neuropeptide Y (NPY) in rat brain during experimental ischemia...
- Colocalization of cannabinoid receptor 1 with somatostatin and neuronal nitric oxide synthase in rat brain hippocampusShenglong Zou
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Brain Res 1622:114-26. 2015b>Somatostatin (SST), a growth hormone inhibitory peptide, is expressed in different parts of the brain and functions as a neurotransmitter and neuromodulator...
- Somatostatin receptor-mediated suppression of gabaergic synaptic transmission in cultured rat retinal amacrine cellsW Chen
Institutes of Brain Science, Institute of Neurobiology and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Neuroscience 273:118-27. 2014b>Somatostatin (SRIF) modulates neurotransmitter release by activating the specific receptors (sst1-sst5). Our previous study showed that sst5 receptors are expressed in rat retinal GABAergic amacrine cells...
- H. pylori acutely inhibits gastric secretion by activating CGRP sensory neurons coupled to stimulation of somatostatin and inhibition of histamine secretionMuhammad Zaki
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University s Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 304:G715-22. 2013..cfu/ml) or spent broth alone (1:10(5) to 1:10(0) final dilution) caused a concentration-dependent increase in somatostatin (SST; maximal: 200 ± 20 and 194 ± 9% above basal; P < 0...
- Comparison of the activation of somatostatin- and neuropeptide Y-containing neuronal populations of the rat amygdala following two different anxiogenic stressorsRyan K Butler
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Exp Neurol 238:52-63. 2012..of the brains were prepared for dual-labeled immunohistochemistry and counts of c-Fos co-localized with somatostatin (SOM) or neuropeptide Y (NPY) were made in the basolateral (BLA), central (CEA), medial (MEA) nuclei of the ..
- Somatostatin and neuropeptide Y neurons undergo different plasticity in parahippocampal regions in kainic acid-induced epilepsyMeinrad Drexel
Department of Pharmacology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 71:312-29. 2012..Using immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization for somatostatin and neuropeptide Y, we investigated plastic morphologic and neurochemical changes in parahippocampal neurons in ..
- Neuronostatin, a novel peptide encoded by somatostatin gene, regulates cardiac contractile function and cardiomyocyte survivalLaura Vainio
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 287:4572-80. 2012Neuronostatin, a recently discovered peptide encoded by somatostatin gene, is involved in regulation of neuronal function, blood pressure, food intake, and drinking behavior...
- Somatostatin inhibition of GnRH neuronal activity and the morphological relationship between GnRH and somatostatin neurons in ratsMakiko Koyama
Department of Physiology, Nippon Medical School, 1 Sendagi, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Endocrinology 153:806-14. 2012..activity of GnRH neurons is regulated by a variety of bioactive substances, including the inhibitory peptide somatostatin. In the present study, we focused on somatostatin because intracerebroventricular injection of somatostatin ..
- The melanocortins, not oxytocin, mediate the anorexigenic and antidipsogenic effects of neuronostatinGina L C Yosten
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1402 S Grand Boulevard, Saint Louis, MO 63104, USA
Peptides 31:1711-4. 2010Neuronostatin, a recently discovered peptide derived from the somatostatin preprohormone, significantly inhibited both food and water intake when administered centrally in adult male rats...
- An immunohistochemical study of endocrine cells in the stomach of hypertensive ratsI Kasacka
Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical University of Białystok, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 58:469-78. 2007..The effect of spontaneous hypertension on the distribution and occurrence of somatostatin-, gastrin- and serotonin-immunoreactive cells in the fundus and pylorus of the rat stomach was examined by ..
- Inhibitory effect of somatostatin on prostaglandin E2 synthesis by primary neonatal rat glial cellsNaama Dror
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O B 653 Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
Regul Pept 150:21-5. 2008Glial inflammation plays an integral role in the development of neurodegenerative disease. Although somatostatin is known to be a local anti-inflammatory factor in the periphery, evidence of a similar function in the brain is scarce...
- NPY-, SOM- and VIP-containing interneurons in postnatal development of the rat claustrumPrzemysław Kowiański
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Medical University of Gdansk, 1 Debinki Street, 80 211 Gdansk, Poland
Brain Res Bull 76:565-71. 2008..The postnatal development of neuropeptide Y-, somatostatin- and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide-containing interneurons was studied during the 4 postnatal months (P0-..
- Somatostatin in medium-sized aspiny interneurons of striatum is responsible for their preservation in quinolinic acid and N-methyl-D-asparate-induced neurotoxicityUjendra Kumar
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Mol Neurosci 35:345-54. 2008b>Somatostatin (SST) is a multifunctional peptide and involves in several neurodegenerative diseases...
- Somatostatin in the rat periventricular nucleus: sex differences and effect of gonadal steroidsHarmke H Van Vugt
Human and Animal Physiology Group, Wageningen University, 6709 PG, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Exp Brain Res 188:483-91. 2008..in growth hormone release is driven by sex steroids, and is suggested to result mainly from differences in somatostatin (SOM) release patterns from the median eminence...
- Activation of GIRK channels in substantia gelatinosa neurones of the adult rat spinal cord: a possible involvement of somatostatinTerumasa Nakatsuka
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, Saga 849 8501, Japan
J Physiol 586:2511-22. 2008..b>Somatostatin produced an outward current in a subpopulation of SG neurones and the slow IPSC was occluded during the ..
- Growth hormone and somatostatin directly inhibit gastric ghrelin secretion. An in vitro organ culture systemL M Seoane
Molecular Endocrinology, Investigation Area, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago de Compostela CHUS, PO Box 563, E 15780, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Endocrinol Invest 30:RC22-5. 2007..These results would confirm the capacity of GH and SS to act directly upon gastric level, inhibiting ghrelin secretion in vitro...
- [Effect of Bnxia Xexin Decoction and its disassembled recipes on somatostatin in rats with stress gastric ulcer]Zhong Zhang
Department of Human Morphology, Basic Theory College, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 27:916-8. 2007..To explore the acting mechanism of Banxia Xiexin Decoction (BXD) and its disassembled recipes on stress gastric ulcer, for providing references to the scientific researches on the assembling rule of BXD...
- Dopamine (D1) receptor activation and nitrinergic agents influence somatostatin levels in rat retinaFoteini Kiagiadaki
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete 71110 GR, Greece
Exp Eye Res 86:18-24. 2008b>Somatostatin (SRIF) influences the release of two important neuromodulators of retinal circuitry, dopamine (DA) and nitric oxide (NO)...
- Molecular and cellular characterization of the age-related neuroinflammatory processes occurring in normal rat hippocampus: potential relation with the loss of somatostatin GABAergic neuronsM Paz Gavilan
Departamento de Bioquimica, Bromatologia, Toxicologia y Medicina Legal, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain
J Neurochem 103:984-96. 2007..The mRNA expression of somatostatin, a neuropeptide expressed by some GABAergic interneurons, and the number of somatostatin-immunopositive cells ..
- Intracellular degradation of somatostatin-14 following somatostatin-receptor3-mediated endocytosis in rat insulinoma cellsDirk Roosterman
Department of Dermatology, IZKF Münster and Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cell and Immunobiology of the Skin, Germany
FEBS J 275:4728-39. 2008b>Somatostatin receptor (SSTR) endocytosis influences cellular responsiveness to agonist stimulation and somatostatin receptor scintigraphy, a common diagnostic imaging technique...
- Effect of obestatin on insulin, glucagon and somatostatin secretion in the perfused rat pancreasEva M Egido
Department of Physiology, Medical School, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, San Martin de Porres 4, 28035 Madrid, Spain
Regul Pept 152:61-6. 2009..Obestatin failed to significantly modify the glucagon and somatostatin responses to arginine, indicating that its stimulation of insulin output is not mediated by an alpha- or delta-..
- [Effect of rheum on gastrointestinal hormones in rats with severe scald injury]Xing Guo
Department of Burns and Plastic Surgery, Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou 646000, PR China
Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi 24:111-3. 2008To observe the changes in motilin (MTL), substance P (SP), vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) and somatostatin (SS) in plasma of rats with severe scald injury at early stage and the effect of rheum on their changes.
- Antidepressants influence somatostatin levels and receptor pharmacology in brainEleftherios Pallis
Department of Basic Sciences, Laboratory of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:952-63. 2009..administration (acute and chronic) of the antidepressants citalopram and desmethylimipramine (DMI) influences somatostatin (somatotropin release inhibitory factor, SRIF) levels and SRIF receptor density (sst(1-5)) in rat brain...
- [Changes of encephalic contents of neuropeptides in rats with vascular dementia]De Qiang Li
The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 37:468-71. 2008To investigate the changes of encephalic contents of somatostatin (SS) and arginine vasopressin (AVP) in rats with vascular dementia.
- Release of regulatory gut peptides somatostatin, neurotensin and vasoactive intestinal peptide by acid and hyperosmolal solutions in the intestine in conscious ratsT Rudholm
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Sweden
Regul Pept 152:8-12. 2009..of the intestinal mucosa to acid and hyperosmolal solutions on the release of the inhibitory gut peptides somatostatin (SOM), neurotensin (NT) and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) was studied in conscious rats during ..
- SRIF receptor subtype expression and involvement in positive and negative contractile effects of somatostatin-14 (SRIF-14) in ventricular cardiomyocytesDavid Bell
Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, The Queen s University of Belfast
Cell Physiol Biochem 22:653-64. 2008b>Somatostatin-14 (SRIF-14), a neuropeptide co-stored with acetylcholine in the cardiac parasympathetic innervation, exerts both positive and negative influences directly on contraction of ventricular cardiomyocytes, indicative of ..
- Diverging effects of cortistatin and somatostatin on the production and release of prostanoids from rat cortical microglia and astrocytesCinzia Dello Russo
Institute of Pharmacology, Catholic University Medical School, Largo Francesco Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 213:78-83. 2009Here we compared the effects of cortistatin and somatostatin on the production of prostanoids from primary cultures of rat cortical microglia and astrocytes...
- Tonic inhibition of somatostatin on C and Adelta afferent fibers in rat dorsal skin in vivoJun Wang
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, PR China
Brain Res 1288:50-9. 2009The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of somatostatin (SST) in peripheral nerve terminals using local application of the SST receptor (SSTR) antagonist cyclo-somatostatin (c-SOM) injected into the receptive fields of ..
- Control of somatostatin (SS) secretion by CCK-1 and CCK-2 receptors' occupation in RIN-14B cells, a rat pancreatic islet cell lineKarim El-Kouhen
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Pancreas 39:127-34. 2010This study evaluated the role played by cholecystokinin (CCK) receptors' occupation in the control of somatostatin (SS) secretion in RIN-14B cells.
- Colonic submucosal 5-HT(3) receptor-mediated somatostatin-dependent secretoinhibitory pathway is suppressed in water-immersion restraint stressed ratsYun Li
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 656:94-100. 2011..receptor 3 in the submucosal plexus suppresses 5-HT-induced colonic ion secretion by increasing submucosal somatostatin release...
- Interrelationships between somatostatin sst2A receptors and somatostatin-containing axons in rat brain: evidence for regulation of cell surface receptors by endogenous somatostatinP Dournaud
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B4, Canada
J Neurosci 18:1056-71. 1998Using an antipeptide antibody, we reported previously on the distribution of the somatostatin sst2A receptor subtype in rat brain...
- Adrenomedullin stimulates somatostatin and thus inhibits histamine and acid secretion in the fundus of the stomachAri B Hirsch
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Regul Pept 110:189-95. 2003..1 pM to 0.1 microM) caused a concentration-dependent increase in somatostatin secretion (EC(50), 1 x 10(-10)) that was accompanied by a reciprocal decrease in histamine secretion (EC(50), 1...
- Reciprocal paracrine pathways link atrial natriuretic peptide and somatostatin secretion in the antrum of the stomachW R Gower
Department of Medicine, University of South Florida and James A Haley Veterans Hospital, Tampa, FL, USA
Regul Pept 110:101-6. 2003..superfused antral mucosal segments obtained from rat stomach to examine the paracrine pathways linking ANP and somatostatin secretion in this region.ANP (0.1 pM to 0...
- Mechanisms for regulation of gastrin and somatostatin release from isolated rat stomach during gastric distentionYong Yu Li
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical College of Tongji University, Shanghai 200331, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:129-33. 2003..To investigate the intragastric mechanisms for regulation of gastric neuroendocrine functions during gastric distention in isolated vascularly perfused rat stomach...
- Increase in somatostatin immunoreactivity in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of aged Wistar ratsBarbara A M Biemans
Animal Behaviour, University of Groningen, Kerklaan 30, 9751 NN, Haren, The Netherlands
Brain Res 958:463-7. 2002..We compared somatostatin (SS) and substance P (SP) immunoreactivity (ir) in aged (20-26 months) and young (6 months) Wistar rats...
- Effect of high temperature on gastrin, somatostatin and motilin production in ulcerous gastric antral mucosa of ratsFeng Peng Sun
Department of Gastroenterology, Nanfang Hospital, First Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 22:605-7. 2002To investigate the changes of gastrin, somatostatin and motilin production in the gastric antral mucosa of rats with experimental gastric ulcer.
- [Implication of the neuropeptides methionine enkephalin, neurotensin and somatostatin of the caudal trigeminal nucleus in the experimental migraine]M Samsam
Laboratorio de Neuroanatomía de los Sistemas Peptidérgicos, Instituto de Neurociencias de Castilla y Leon INCYL, Facultad de Medicina, Salamanca, Espana
Rev Neurol 34:724-9. 2002..Moreover, the electrical stimulation of the trigeminal ganglion has been used as an experimental model in order to study the vascular headache, including the migraine...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 analogue LY315902: effect on intestinal motility and release of insulin and somatostatinErik Naslund
Division of Surgery, Karolinska Institutet Danderyd Hospital, SE 182 88 Danderyd, Stockholm, Sweden
Regul Pept 106:89-95. 2002..The aim of the study is to assess the effect of LY315902 on fasting gastrointestinal motility, somatostatin and insulin release...
- Inhibitory effect of ghrelin on insulin and pancreatic somatostatin secretionE M Egido
Clinica Puerta de Hierro y Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Endocrinol 146:241-4. 2002..The relationship between nutritional status and circulating ghrelin concentrations prompted us to investigate the effect of this peptide on pancreatic hormone secretion...
- Somatostatin-like immunoreactivity (SLIR) in rat harderian and meibomian glands and glands of ZeisMortimer Lorber
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 506:81-9. 2002
- Isolation, characterization, and DNA sequence of the rat somatostatin geneM A Tavianini
J Biol Chem 259:11798-803. 1984The gene encoding rat somatostatin has been isolated from a lambda phage gene library. Phage harboring the gene were identified by plaque hybridization using a nick-translated fragment derived from the cDNA for rat somatostatin...
- Primary structure of the gene encoding rat preprosomatostatinM R Montminy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81:3337-40. 1984..derived from a rat medullary thyroid carcinoma that encoded preprosomatostatin , a 116-amino-acid precursor of somatostatin. We now report the structural characterization of the rat somatostatin gene isolated from recombinant ..
- Nucleotide and amino acid sequence comparisons of preprosomatostatinsP Argos
J Biol Chem 258:8788-93. 1983..Although there is a considerable number of amino acid substitutions within the aligned somatostatin-14 precursors, there is a high degree of structural relatedness among them...
- Rat pre-prosomatostatin. Structure and processing by microsomal membranesR H Goodman
J Biol Chem 258:5570-3. 1983The tetradecapeptide hormone somatostatin arises from proteolytic processing of a large precursor, pre-prosomatostatin...
- Somatostatin-28 encoded in a cloned cDNA obtained from a rat medullary thyroid carcinomaR H Goodman
J Biol Chem 257:1156-9. 1982..a hybridization probe encoding an anglerfish islet pre-prosomatostatin, a precursor of the tetradecapeptide somatostatin, we have identified and isolated a clone containing a 400-base pair complementary DNA encoding most of the rat ..
- A new prosomatostatin-derived peptide reveals a pattern for prohormone cleavage at monobasic sitesR Benoit
Montreal General Hospital Research Institute, Department of Medicine, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Science 238:1126-9. 1987Cleavage of the peptide bonds of preprosomatostatin at basic residues near the carboxyl terminus yields somatostatin-14, somatostatin-28, and somatostatin-28 (1-12)...
- Biosynthesis of rat preprosomatostatinR H Goodman
Adv Exp Med Biol 188:31-47. 1985The biologically active forms of somatostatin, somatostatin-14 (SS-14) and somatostatin-28 (SS-28) arise by post-translational cleavage of prosomatostatin. Prosomatostatin in turn is derived from a larger precursor, preprosomatostatin...
- Changes in thymus size, cellularity and relation between thymocyte subpopulations in young adult rats induced by somatostatin-14Danica M Petrović-Dergović
Immunology Research Center Branislav Jankovic, Institute of Immunology and Virology Torlak, Belgrade, Serbia
Neuropeptides 41:485-93. 2007The role of somatostatin on inhibition of both normal and tumor cell cycle, secretion of endocrine and exocrine cells, as well as induction apoptosis is well documented...
- Somatostatin suppresses ghrelin secretion from the rat stomachMitsushi Shimada
Department of Internal Medicine, Oita Medical University, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302:520-5. 2003..b>Somatostatin, a peptide produced in the gastric oxyntic mucosa, is known to suppress secretion of several gastrointestinal ..
- Food deprivation enhances somatostatin and somatostatin receptor subtype expression in rat colonTamako Kido
Programs for Biomedical Research, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Regul Pept 114:167-73. 2003b>Somatostatin, a peptide distributed widely throughout the gut, inhibits a variety of gastrointestinal functions. We previously reported that fasting for 48 h increased gastric somatostatin peptide and mRNA content...
- The effects of GH-releasing hormone/somatostatin on the 5'-promoter activity of the GH gene in vitroM Morishita
Department of Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine and Hospital, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
J Mol Endocrinol 31:441-8. 2003The two hypothalamic hormones, GH-releasing hormone (GHRH) and somatostatin (SRIF), are known to regulate GH secretion...
- Regulation of rat pancreatic CCKB receptor and somatostatin expression by insulinSophie Julien
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 53:1526-34. 2004The cholecystokinin B receptor (CCK(B)R) is localized on pancreatic endocrine somatostatin delta-cells. Pancreatic somatostatin content was increased in diabetic rats...
- A novel variant of ionotropic glutamate receptor regulates somatostatin secretion from delta-cells of islets of LangerhansAkiko Muroyama
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Diabetes 53:1743-53. 2004..b>Somatostatin from delta-cells, considered a local inhibitor of islet function, reduces insulin and glucagon secretion by ..
- Somatostatin and the somatostatin receptor 2 are reciprocally controlled by calcineurin during cerebellar granule cell maturationDana Kramer
Department of Pharmacology, Cambridge University, UK
J Neurochem 94:1374-83. 2005..In this study, we investigated whether an important mediator of neuronal migration, somatostatin (Srif), alongside its receptors, is controlled in this manner in cerebellar granule cells...
- Cocaine- and amphetamine-related transcript peptide and somatostatin in rat intracardiac gangliaRobert J Richardson
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Cell Tissue Res 324:17-24. 2006The distribution of somatostatin and cocaine and amphetamine-regulated transcript (CART) was investigated in rat intracardiac ganglia...
- Postsynaptic targets of somatostatin-containing interneurons in the rat basolateral amygdalaJay F Muller
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
J Comp Neurol 500:513-29. 2007..interneurons, very little is known about the synaptic outputs of the interneuronal subpopulation that expresses somatostatin (SOM)...
- Immunoreactivity for the GABAA receptor alpha1 subunit, somatostatin and Connexin36 distinguishes axoaxonic, basket, and bistratified interneurons of the rat hippocampusAgnes Baude
MRC Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, Department of Pharmacology, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3TH, UK
Cereb Cortex 17:2094-107. 2007..experiments were consistent with the finding that only bistratified cells express the neuropeptide somatostatin. From the molecular profiles, we estimate that basket, bistratified, and axoaxonic cells represent about 60%, ..
- Transient transcription of the somatostatin gene at the time of estrogen-dependent organization of the sexually dimorphic nucleus of the rat preoptic areaChitose Orikasa
Department of Physiology, Nippon Medical School, Sendagi 1, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Endocrinology 148:1144-9. 2007In situ hybridization detected a transient, sex-specific transcription of somatostatin gene in the central part of the rat medial preoptic nucleus, which coincides with the sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area (SDN-POA), during,..
- Hemorrhage results in hepatic insulin-sensitizing substance-dependent insulin resistance mediated by somatostatin in ratsLarissa I Seredycz
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Neuroendocrinology 84:94-102. 2006..Blockade of HISS action secondary to blood loss leads to a state known as HISS-dependent insulin resistance (HDIR) which results in a decrease in the glucose disposal action of insulin by 33 +/- 3%...
- RT-PCR and immunocytochemistry studies support the presence of somatostatin, cortistatin and somatostatin receptor subtypes in rat Kupffer cellsC Xidakis
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Department Basic Sciences, University of Crete, Faculty of Medicine, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Regul Pept 143:76-82. 2007The present study investigated the presence of somatostatin receptor subtypes (ssts) and the endogenous peptides somatostatin and cortistatin in rat Kupffer cells, since modulation of these cells by somatostatin may be important for the ..
- Colocalization of somatostatin receptor subtypes (SSTR1-5) with somatostatin, NADPH-diaphorase (NADPH-d), and tyrosine hydroxylase in the rat hypothalamusUjendra Kumar
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Comp Neurol 504:185-205. 2007The hypothalamus is a major site of somatostatin (SST) production and action. SST is synthesized in several hypothalamic nuclei and involved in a variety of functions...
- Pulses of somatostatin release are slightly delayed compared with insulin and antisynchronous to glucagonAlbert Salehi
Department of Clinical Science, CRC UMAS, University of Lund, SE 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Regul Pept 144:43-9. 2007It was early proposed that somatostatin-producing delta-cells in pancreatic islets have local inhibitory effects on the release of insulin and glucagon...
- Z-DNA in the rat somatostatin geneT E Hayes
J Biol Chem 260:8145-56. 1985Two alternating purine-pyrimidine tracts flank the rat gene encoding the polypeptide hormone somatostatin. One lies 5' and one 3' to the gene; both consist of tandem repeats of the dinucleotide TG, with 25 repeats in the tract 5' and 15 ..