Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sftpd
Description: surfactant protein D
Alias: SP-D, SPD, pulmonary surfactant-associated protein D, CP4, PSP-D, lung surfactant protein D, pulmonary surfactant protein D, surfactant associated protein D, surfactant, pulmonary-associated protein D
- Heterogeneous allele expression of pulmonary SP-D gene in rat large intestine and other tissuesZhenwu Lin
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Physiol Genomics 11:235-43. 2002..The parent-of-origin does not play a role in SP-D allele-specific expression. However, acquired epigenetic factors, family background, or other factors may contribute to the overall pattern of expression...
- Patterns of neutrophil serine protease-dependent cleavage of surfactant protein D in inflammatory lung diseaseJessica Cooley
Immune Disease Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Leukoc Biol 83:946-55. 2008..The findings support a pre-eminent role for neutrophil elastase as the critical protease responsible for SP-D depletion in inflammatory lung disease...
- Multimerization of surfactant protein D, but not its collagen domain, is required for antiviral and opsonic activities related to influenza virusMitchell White
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Immunol 181:7936-43. 2008..However, the structure of the collagen domain significantly influences the anti-viral activity of multimerized forms of SP-D...
- Serum levels of surfactant protein D predict the anti-tumor activity of gefitinib in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancerHiroyuki Yamaguchi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:331-8. 2011..In this study, we evaluated prospectively whether surfactant protein-A (SP-A) and -D (SP-D) may be new conventional predictors of the efficacy of gefitinib treatment...
- S-nitrosylation of surfactant protein-D controls inflammatory functionChang Jiang Guo
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
PLoS Biol 6:e266. 2008..This represents new insight into both the regulation of protein function by S-nitrosylation and NO's role in innate immunity...
- Surfactant protein D increases phagocytosis and aggregation of pollen-allergen starch granulesVeit J Erpenbeck
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Nikolai Fuchs Str 1a, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288:L692-8. 2005..The modulation of allergen phagocytosis by SP-D might play an important role in allergen clearance from the lung and thereby modulate the allergic inflammation of asthma...
- Allergen particle binding by human primary bronchial epithelial cells is modulated by surfactant protein DCarsten Schleh
Fraunhofer Institute for Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Respir Res 11:83. 2010..In the present study, we investigated the uptake of SPP in human primary epithelial cells and the potential modulation by SP-D. The patho-physiological consequence was evaluated by measurement of pro-inflammatory mediators...
- Pulmonary collectins enhance phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium through increased activity of mannose receptorKazumi Kudo
Department of Biochemistry, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1 West 17, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8556, Japan
J Immunol 172:7592-602. 2004..These results provide compelling evidence that SP-A and SP-D enhance mannose receptor-mediated phagocytosis of M. avium by macrophages...
- Respiratory distress after intratracheal bleomycin: selective deficiency of surfactant proteins B and CR C Savani
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4399, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281:L685-96. 2001..We conclude that respiratory distress after bleomycin in rats results from surfactant dysfunction in part secondary to selective downregulation of SP-B and SP-C...
- Aspergillus fumigatus-induced allergic airway inflammation alters surfactant homeostasis and lung function in BALB/c miceA Haczku
Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 421 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 25:45-50. 2001..These changes may contribute significantly to the pathophysiology of Af-induced allergic airway hyperresponsiveness...
- Surfactant protein levels in bronchoalveolar lavage after segmental allergen challenge in patients with asthmaV J Erpenbeck
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Allergy 61:598-604. 2006..Because surfactant proteins (SP) account for immunomodulatory functions as well as biophysical functions, we hypothesized that the allergic response in asthma might be accompanied by a dysregulation of SPs...
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia alters expression and distribution of lung collectins SP-A and SP-DE N Atochina
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6061, USA
J Lab Clin Med 137:429-39. 2001..001). We conclude that PCP induces marked elevations in alveolar collectin levels because of increased expression and accumulation of SP-A and SP-D protein in SA surfactant...
- Recombinant rat surfactant-associated protein D inhibits human T lymphocyte proliferation and IL-2 productionP J Borron
Department of Medicine, The Lawson Research Institute, St Joseph s Health Centre, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Immunol 161:4599-603. 1998..We hypothesize that SP-D can dampen lymphocyte responses to exogenous stimuli and protect the lung against collateral immune-mediated damage...
- Novel strategy to identify genetic risk factors for COPD severity: a genetic isolateC C van Diemen
Dept of Epidemiology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 35:768-75. 2010..MMP12, tissue inhibitor of metalloprotease-1 gene (TIMP1), surfactant protein A1 gene (SFTPA1 ), SFTPA2, SFTPB, SFTPD, glutathione S-transferase P1 gene (GSTP1), and haem oxygenase 1 gene ( HMOX1)...
- Relationship between pulmonary surfactant protein and lipid peroxidation in lung injury due to paraquat intoxication in ratsHyo Wook Gil
Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang University Medical College, Cheonan Hospital, Cheonan, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 22:67-72. 2007..The primary objective of this study was to evaluate the variations over time in levels of surfactant protein and lipid peroxidation (LPO) in lung tissue following free-radical-induced injury...
- The effects of fluticasone with or without salmeterol on systemic biomarkers of inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDon D Sin
Department of Medicine, Respiratory Division, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:1207-14. 2008..Small studies have suggested that inhaled corticosteroids can suppress systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Susceptibility of mice genetically deficient in SP-A or SP-D gene to invasive pulmonary aspergillosisTaruna Madan
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Delhi University Campus, Mall Road, Delhi 110007, India
Mol Immunol 47:1923-30. 2010..The results showed that SP-D gene deficient mice are more susceptible to IPA while SP-A gene deficient mice acquire resistance to IPA...
- Elevated expression of surfactant proteins in newborn rats during adaptation to hyperoxiaC W White
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 1400 Jackson St, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 25:51-9. 2001..Taken together, these data indicate that specific surfactant proteins are upregulated at both the pretranslational and post-translational levels in distal lung epithelium during adaptation to hyperoxia in the newborn rat...
- Pulmonary-specific expression of SP-D corrects pulmonary lipid accumulation in SP-D gene-targeted miceJ H Fisher
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine, Denver Health Medical Center and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 278:L365-73. 2000..Marked increases in biologically active tissue and alveolar SP-D do not alter lung morphology, macrophage abundance or structure, or surfactant accumulation...
- Surfactant Protein D modulates allergen particle uptake and inflammatory response in a human epithelial airway modelCarsten Schleh
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Nikolai Fuch Str 1, 30635 Hannover, Germany
Respir Res 13:8. 2012..The uptake of SPP as well as the secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines was investigated...
- Regulation of surfactant protein D expression by glucocorticoids in vitro and in vivoR R Deterding
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Denver, CO 80206
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 10:30-7. 1994..In vivo experiments were performed using maternal administration of dexamethasone (1 mg/kg) or an equal volume of saline on fetal days 15, 16, and 17 or on fetal day 17 with sacrifice on fetal day 18.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Surfactant protein D deficiency increases lung injury during endotoxemiaBrooke A King
Perinatal Institute, Section of Neonatology, Perinatal and Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44:709-15. 2011..by intraperitoneal injection of LPS and direct lung injury by intratracheal injection of LPS in wild-type and Sftpd(-/-) mice to elucidate the role of SP-D during ALI/ARDS...
- Prescreening based on the presence of CT-scan abnormalities and biomarkers (KL-6 and SP-D) may reduce severe radiation pneumonitis after stereotactic radiotherapyHideomi Yamashita
Department of Radiology, University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Radiat Oncol 5:32. 2010..To determine the risk factors of severe radiation pneumonitis (RP) after stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for primary or secondary lung tumors...
- Surfactant protein D modulates levels of IL-10 and TNF-α in intrauterine compartments during lipopolysaccharide-induced preterm birthAnnamari Salminen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, FI 90014 Oulu, Finland
Cytokine 60:423-30. 2012..We conclude that SP-D in fetal and gestational tissues modulates the levels of intrauterine inflammatory mediators involved in preterm birth and may contribute to inflammatory processes related to spontaneous preterm labor...
- [Dynamic changes of surfactant protein-D and Clara cell protein expressions in lung tissue and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of silica-treated rats]Ping Liu
Department of Laboratory, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 26:410-4. 2008..To investigate the dynamic changes of surfactant protein-D (SP-D) and Clara cell protein (CC16) expressions in lung tissue and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) of silica-treated rats...
- The association between BMI and plasma cytokine levels in patients with acute lung injuryRenee D Stapleton
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Vermont College of Medicine, HSRF 222, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Chest 138:568-77. 2010..We hypothesized that cytokine response might be attenuated in patients who are obese and critically ill or that obesity might modify the relationship between plasma cytokines and clinical outcomes in ALI...
- Sivelestat sodium hydrate improves septic acute lung injury by reducing alveolar dysfunctionShigeatsu Endo
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Iwate Medical University, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020 8505, Japan
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 119:53-65. 2006..Administration of sivelestat was found to reduce alveolar dysfunction and improve respiratory function, and it was suggested that early administration might be useful...
- Recognition of heptoses and the inner core of bacterial lipopolysaccharides by surfactant protein dHua Wang
Department Physiology and Biophysics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Biochemistry 47:710-20. 2008..7-O-Carbamoyl-l,d-heptose and d-glycero-alpha-d-manno-heptose were bound via ring hydroxyl groups. Interactions with the side chain of inner core heptoses provide a potential mechanism for the recognition of diverse types of LPS by SP-D...
- Children with absent surfactant protein D in bronchoalveolar lavage have more frequently pneumoniaM Griese
Children s Hospital, Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 19:639-47. 2008..In contrast, SP-D deficiency due to consumption or failure to up-regulate SP-D may be linked to pulmonary morbidity in children...
- Polymorphisms in surfactant protein-D are associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMarilyn G Foreman
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44:316-22. 2011..Surfactant protein-D (SFTPD) is immunomodulatory and essential to host defense...
- Prognostic value of serum surfactant protein D level prior to transplant for the development of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome and idiopathic pneumonia syndrome following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantationT Nakane
Clinical Hematology and Clinical Diagnostics, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Abeno Ku, Osaka, Japan
Bone Marrow Transplant 42:43-9. 2008..08). Constitutive serum SP-D level before allo-HSCT may be a useful, noninvasive predictor for the development of BOS/IPS...
- Surfactant protein D protects against acute hyperoxic lung injuryDeepika Jain
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4539, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:805-13. 2008..Constitutive absence of SP-D in mice is associated with lung inflammation, alteration in surfactant lipid homeostasis, and increased oxidative-nitrative stress...
- Surfactant protein D and bronchial dysplasia in smokers at high risk of lung cancerDon D Sin
St Paul s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Chest 134:582-8. 2008..Surfactant dysfunction has been implicated in both lung cancer and COPD. This study evaluated the relationship between surfactant protein D (SP-D) and the progression of bronchial dysplasia in heavy smokers...
- Myeloperoxidase-dependent inactivation of surfactant protein D in vitro and in vivoErika C Crouch
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16757-70. 2010..Thus, MPO-derived oxidants can lead to modifications of SP-D structure with associated alterations in its characteristic aggregating activity...
- Circulating surfactant protein D is decreased in systemic lupus erythematosusSilje Vermedal Hoegh
Medical Biotechnology Center, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Rheumatol 36:2449-53. 2009..We investigated the possible association of the Met11Thr polymorphism with disease, since this polymorphism is an important determinant for serum level, oligomerization pattern, and function of SP-D...
- Clinical importance of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and blood cytokines, surfactant protein D, and Kerbs von Lungren 6 antigen in idiopathic pulmonary alveolar proteinosisFang Chi Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Yang Ming Branch, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Mayo Clin Proc 83:1344-9. 2008To investigate the clinical importance of cytokines, surfactant protein D (SFTPD, formerly SP-D), and Kerbs von Lungren 6 antigen (KL-6) in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) and blood in patients with idiopathic pulmonary alveolar ..
- Elevation of surfactant protein D, a pulmonary disease biomarker, in the sera of uveitis patients with sarcoidosisNobuyoshi Kitaichi
Department of Ophthalmology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 54:81-4. 2010..In the present study, serum levels of SP-D were measured in patients with uveitis to ascertain whether SP-D is a clinically useful laboratory parameter to diagnose sarcoidosis...
- Surfactant protein D and KL-6 as serum biomarkers of interstitial lung disease in patients with sclerodermaFaye N Hant
Division of Rheumatology and Immunology, Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, Suite 912, Charleston, SC 29425 6370, USA
J Rheumatol 36:773-80. 2009....
- Monoclonal antibody-assisted structure-function analysis of the carbohydrate recognition domain of surfactant protein DKevan L Hartshorn
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L384-92. 2010....
- Transmission of surfactant protein variants and haplotypes in children hospitalized with respiratory syncytial virusNeal J Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Pediatr Res 66:70-3. 2009..Further study is required to determine whether these variants can be used to target a high-risk patient population in clinical trials aimed at reducing either the symptoms of acute infection or long-term pulmonary sequelae...
- Serum surfactant protein D during acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseTania Ahmed Shakoori
Shaikh Zayed Medical Complex, Lahore, Pakistan
Dis Markers 27:287-94. 2009..However, it is not known whether serum levels change during exacerbations. We sought to determine whether serum SP-D levels are raised in COPD exacerbations...
- Eosinophilic inclusions in rat Clara cells and the effect of an inhaled corticosteroidTakahito Kambara
Pathology, Safety Assessment UK, GlaxoSmithKline, Ware, UK
Toxicol Pathol 37:315-23. 2009....
- Association between single nucleotide polymorphisms of surfactant protein D and allergic rhinitis in Chinese patientsY Q Deng
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Tissue Antigens 73:546-52. 2009..The present study aimed to investigate whether polymorphisms within the SFTPD gene (Met11Thr, Ala160Thr, and Ser270Thr) are associated with allergic rhinitis...
- Rat respiratory coronavirus infection: replication in airway and alveolar epithelial cells and the innate immune responseC Joel Funk
National Jewish Health, 1400 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Gen Virol 90:2956-64. 2009....
- Genetic variants of surfactant proteins A, B, C, and D in bronchopulmonary dysplasiaJ Pavlovic
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, PSU, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Dis Markers 22:277-91. 2006..The data indicate that SP loci are linked to BPD. Studies in different study groups and/or of larger sample size are warranted to confirm these observations and delineate genetic background of BPD subgroups...
- KGF regulates pulmonary epithelial proliferation and surfactant protein gene expression in adult rat lungT Yano
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 279:L1146-58. 2000..KGF increases the mRNA for the surfactant proteins per lung because of type II cell hyperplasia, but the mRNA per cell is slightly diminished as measured in isolated cells or estimated by in situ hybridization...
- Surfactant protein-D and surfactant inhibit endotoxin-induced pulmonary inflammationMachiko Ikegami
Cincinnati Children s Hospital, Division of Pulmonary Biology, 3333 Burnet Ave, University of Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Chest 132:1447-54. 2007..In this study, the effect of exogenous recombinant human SP-D (rhSP-D) on protection of the adult mouse lung from lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced and lipoteichoic acid (LTA)-induced injury was assessed...
- Surfactant proteins A and D enhance the phagocytosis of Chlamydia into THP-1 cellsRebecca E Oberley
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L296-306. 2004..In addition, the chlamydial pathogens internalized in the presence of collectins are able to grow and replicate in the THP-1 cells after phagocytosis...
- Attenuated allergic airway hyperresponsiveness in C57BL/6 mice is associated with enhanced surfactant protein (SP)-D production following allergic sensitizationElena N Atochina
Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Respir Res 4:15. 2003..We hypothesized that an elevated SP-D production is associated with the impaired ability of C57BL/6 mice to develop allergic AHR...
- Surfactant protein D regulates airway function and allergic inflammation through modulation of macrophage functionKatsuyuki Takeda
Program in Cell Biology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:783-9. 2003..These results indicate that SP-D can (negatively) regulate the development of AHR and airway inflammation after airway challenge of sensitized mice, at least in part, by modulating the function of alveolar macrophages...
- Macrophage-independent fungicidal action of the pulmonary collectinsFrancis X McCormack
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36250-6. 2003....
- Surfactant protein D-mediated aggregation of Pneumocystis carinii impairs phagocytosis by alveolar macrophagesSuk Joong Yong
Thoracic Diseases Research Unit, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Internal Medicine, 8 24 Stabile Building, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Infect Immun 71:1662-71. 2003..Thus, SP-D-mediated aggregation of P. carinii may represent one means by which the organism avoids elimination by the host...
- Total extracellular surfactant is increased but abnormal in a rat model of gram-negative bacterial pneumoniaThomas A Russo
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo 14214, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 283:L655-63. 2002..In vitro surface cycling studies with calf lung surfactant extract suggested that bacterially derived factors may have contributed in part to the surfactant alterations seen in vivo...
- Reversibility of pulmonary abnormalities by conditional replacement of surfactant protein D (SP-D) in vivoLiqian Zhang
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Biol Chem 277:38709-13. 2002..However, once established, emphysema was not reversed by SP-D. SP-D-dependent processes regulating surfactant lipid homeostasis were disassociated from those mediating emphysema...
- Degradation of pulmonary surfactant protein D by Pseudomonas aeruginosa elastase abrogates innate immune functionJohn F Alcorn
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 279:30871-9. 2004..These data show that degradation of SP-D occurs in the BAL environment and that degradation eliminates many normal immune functions of SP-D...
- Serial changes in surfactant-associated proteins in lung and serum before and after onset of ARDSK E Greene
Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1843-50. 1999..Strategies to increase these surfactant proteins in the lungs of patients with ARDS could be useful to modify the onset or the course of ARDS...
- Microfibril-associated protein 4 is present in lung washings and binds to the collagen region of lung surfactant protein DM Lausen
Department of Immunology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense University, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
J Biol Chem 274:32234-40. 1999..b>Lung surfactant protein D (SP-D) was also purified from lung washings, and calcium-dependent binding was demonstrated between ..
- Surfactant protein levels in severe respiratory syncytial virus infectionM H Kerr
Department of Child Health, University of Glasgow, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 159:1115-8. 1999..We conclude that alterations in surfactant protein concentrations are present in severe RSV infection and speculate that these may contribute to the abnormalities of lung function seen in this condition...
- [Clinical significance of serum surfactant proteins A and D in idiopathic interstitial pneumonia]Y Honda
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi 34:181-5. 1996..We conclude that measurement of SP-D and SP-A in sera can provide an easily identifiable and useful clinical marker for the diagnosis of IIP, and can be used to predict the disease activity of IIP...
- Adsorption of pulmonary surfactant protein D to phospholipid monolayers at the air-water interfaceS Taneva
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s Newfoundland, Canada A1B 3X9
Biochemistry 36:8173-9. 1997....
- Purification and biochemical characterization of CP4 (SP-D), a collagenous surfactant-associated proteinA Persson
Department of Pathology, Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Biochemistry 28:6361-7. 1989b>CP4 is a collagenous glycoprotein (43 kDa, reduced) synthesized by rat type II pulmonary epithelial cells in primary culture (Persson et al., 1988)...
- Characterization of the rat pulmonary surfactant protein A promoterT Lacaze-Masmonteil
Unité de Recherches en Génétique et Pathologie Moléculaires, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 129, Paris France
Eur J Biochem 206:613-23. 1992..Some of these motifs, specifically protected in DNase 1 footprinting studies, could therefore be involved in the regulation of SP-A gene expression...
- Correction of pulmonary abnormalities in Sftpd-/- mice requires the collagenous domain of surfactant protein DPaul S Kingma
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Biol Chem 281:24496-505. 2006..was evaluated by expressing a SP-D collagen deletion mutant protein (rSftpdCDM) in wild type and SP-D null mice (Sftpd(-/-)). rSftpdCDM formed disulfide-linked trimers that further oligomerized into higher order structures...
- Sinonasal surfactant protein A1, A2, and D gene expression in cystic fibrosis: a preliminary reportBradford A Woodworth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:34-8. 2007..To measure alterations in SPA1, A2, and D gene expression in various forms of inflammatory chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS)...
- Haplotypes of the surfactant protein genes A and D as susceptibility factors for the development of respiratory distress syndromeNeal J Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, Penn State Children s Hospita, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Acta Paediatr 96:985-9. 2007....
- High-dose vascular endothelial growth factor increases surfactant protein gene expressions in preterm rat lungChung Ming Chen
Department of Pediatrics, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Early Hum Dev 83:581-4. 2007..To investigate the effects of intra-amniotic vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) treatment on surfactant pool sizes and surfactant protein (SP) gene expressions in fetal rat lung...
- Primary structure of rat pulmonary surfactant protein D. cDNA and deduced amino acid sequenceH Shimizu
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80206
J Biol Chem 267:1853-7. 1992..Hybridization analysis demonstrates that rat SP-D is encoded by a 1.3-kilobase mRNA which is abundant in lung and highly enriched in alveolar type II cells. Extensive homology exists between rat SP-D and bovine conglutinin...
- SP-D-deficient mice are resistant to hyperoxiaDeepika Jain
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Room H410F, Hill Pavilion, 380 South University Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L861-71. 2007....
- Pulmonary surfactant in patients with Pneumocystis pneumonia and acquired immunodeficiency syndromeReinhold Schmidt
University of Giessen Lung Center, Germany
Crit Care Med 34:2370-6. 2006..We analyzed pulmonary surfactant composition and function in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) from ventilated and spontaneously breathing HIV-positive patients with PCP...
- Surfactant protein D inhibits early airway response in Aspergillus fumigatus-sensitized miceV J Erpenbeck
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 36:930-40. 2006..However, little is known about the functional effect of SP-D on the early airway response upon allergen inhalation, which is an important feature of this disease...
- Pulmonary surfactant, lung function, and endobronchial inflammation in cystic fibrosisMatthias Griese
Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:1000-5. 2004....
- Species differences in the carbohydrate binding preferences of surfactant protein DErika C Crouch
Dept of Pathology and Immunology, Campus Box 8118, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 35:84-94. 2006..Thus, ligand recognition by human SP-D involves a complex interplay between saccharide presentation, the valency of trimeric subunits, and species-specific residues that flank the primary carbohydrate binding site...
- The role of surfactant protein D in the colonisation of the respiratory tract and onset of bacteraemia during pneumococcal pneumoniaR Jounblat
MRC Immunochemistry Unit, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QU, UK
Respir Res 6:126. 2005..Our data provides evidence that SP-D has a significant role to play in the clearance of pneumococci during the early stages of infection in both pulmonary sites and blood...
- Distribution of surfactant proteins in type II pneumocytes of newborn, 14-day old, and adult rats: an immunoelectron microscopic and stereological studyAndreas Schmiedl
Centre of Anatomy, Hannover School of Medicine, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 124:465-76. 2005..The postnatal compartment-specific distribution of SP-A, precursors of SP-C and SP-D does not change...
- Serum surfactant protein D is increased in acute and chronic inflammation in miceMasaki Fujita
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka, Japan
Cytokine 31:25-33. 2005..These data clarified profile of SP-A and SP-D in acute and chronic inflammation and indicated that serum SP-D can serve as a biomarker of lung inflammation in both acute and chronic lung injury in mice...
- Increased surfactant protein a and d expression in acute ovalbumin-induced allergic airway inflammation in brown norway ratsA Schmiedl
Institute of Functional and Applied Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 148:118-26. 2009..The surfactant proteins SP-A and SP-D, components of the innate immune system, are involved in host defence...
- Surfactant proteins A and D inhibit the growth of Gram-negative bacteria by increasing membrane permeabilityHuixing Wu
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1589-602. 2003....
- Critical role for cross-linking of trimeric lectin domains of surfactant protein D in antiviral activity against influenza A virusTesfaldet Tecle
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Biochem J 412:323-9. 2008..These results show that antiviral activities of SP-D can be reproduced without the N-terminal and collagen domains and that cross-linking of NCRDs is essential for antiviral activity of SP-D with respect to IAV...
- Neither SP-A nor NH2-terminal domains of SP-A can substitute for SP-D in regulation of alveolar homeostasisLiqian Zhang
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, OH 45229, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L181-90. 2006..and 3) rSftpd/a, consisting of NH(2)-terminal and collagenous domains of SP-D with neck domain and CRD of SP-A, in Sftpd(-/-) mice...
- Regulation of Inflammation in Asthma by Fas LigandAngela Haczku; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, in order to help support the hypothesis that pro-apoptotic FasL activity characterized in human airway cells is truly physiologic, we will perform challenge studies in mice under FasL neutralizing conditions. ..
- Surfactant-Protein Innate Immunity in an Asthma ModelAngela Haczku; Fiscal Year: 2008..The potential opportunity to interfere with allergic sensitization by SP-D treatment bears high clinical significance. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF SURFACTANT PROTEIN DErika Crouch; Fiscal Year: 2006..As in the past, secreted recombinant proteins with novel structural attributes will be characterized and utilized for collaborative studies of SP-D function. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENHANCING COLLECTIN MEDIATED HOST DEFENSEKevan Hartshorn; Fiscal Year: 2001..These experiments should yield important insights into basic collection biology and demonstrate that enhancement of collectin-mediated pulmonary host defense can be achieved in vivo through rational alteration of wild type collectins. ..
- Lung epithelial cell survival signaling in ozone in cystic fibrosis and normalsCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will increase our understanding of lung oxidant injury and repair in CF and normals, and of normal defense mechanisms of airway epithelium. ..
- Surfactant protein variants in pediatric lung injuryNeal Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research Conference 2006Francis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hypoxia-inducible factors bronchopulmonary dysplasia-BPDCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2006..Therapy at the level of HIF transcription factors to improve angiogenesis and alveolar development offers promise to prevent BPD. ..
- ROLE OF SURFACTANT PROTEIN D IN SURFACTANT HOMEOSTASISMachiko Ikegami; Fiscal Year: 2006This proposal seeks to continue funding of HL-63329 to determine the mechanisms by which surfactant protein D (SPD) regulates surfactant phospholipid homeostasis...
- 2005 LAM Foundation Lymphangioleiomyomatosis ResearchFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Lymphangioleimyomatosis Research ConferenceFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- BACTERIAL MODULATION OF LUNG INFLAMMATORY RESPONSEThomas Russo; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. hemolysin) and bacterially induced host response elements in directly mediating the pathogenesis of lung injury. ..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research ProjectFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF HEXOKINASE IN LUNG ADAPTATION TO OXIDANT STRESSCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2002..Together, these approaches will define the role of HK in adaptation to hyperoxia. ..
- Novel Antioxidant Mechanisms of Surfactant ProteinsFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will provide important insights into the roles of the surfactant proteins in preventing oxidative lung disease and may be useful for the design of novel recombinant proteins and peptides of therapeutic value. ..
- The 2007 LAM Foundation Lymphangioleiomyomatosis International Research ConferencFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research ProjectFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2002..Efforts have been made to attract established investigators from related disciplines who can complement the expertise of the LAM investigators. ..
- SURFACTANT PROTEIN A IN PULMONARY HOST DEFENSEFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will elucidate the role of SP-A in the innate immune defense of the lung, and may assist in the design of optimal antimicrobial strategies. ..
- PHASE III TRIAL FO SIROLIMUS IN LYMPHANGIOLEIOMYLMATOSISFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2009..Patient safety will be monitored by an NIH Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB). The MILES trial is designed as a pivotal study to determine if sirolimus is effective in stabilizing or improving lung function in patients with LAM. ..