Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sftpa1
Description: surfactant protein A1
Alias: PSAP, PSP-A, SP-A, Sftp1, Sftpa, Sftpl, pulmonary surfactant-associated protein A, Surfactant-associated protein 1 (pulmonary surfactant protein, SP-A), pulmonary surfactant-associated protein A-like, surfactant, pulmonary-associated protein A1
- Effects of intrauterine IL-6 and IL-8 on the expression of surfactant apoprotein mRNAs in the fetal rat lungT Ikegami
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, 010, Akita, Japan
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 93:97-103. 2000..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and interleukin-8 (IL-8), whose concentrations are elevated with chorioamnionitis, on the expression of surfactant apoprotein mRNAs in fetal rat lung...
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide induces surfactant protein A expression in ATII cells through activation of PKC/c-Fos pathwayLian Li
Department of Physiology, Xiangya School of Medicine, Central South University, 88 Xiangya Road, Changsha 410078, PR China
Peptides 31:2046-51. 2010....
- Surfactant alterations in severe pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and cardiogenic lung edemaA Gunther
Department of Internal Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 153:176-84. 1996..We conclude that pronounced surfactant abnormalities, comparable to those in ARDS in the absence of lung infection, occur in different entities of severe PNEU, but not in CLE...
- Elevated expression of surfactant proteins in newborn rats during adaptation to hyperoxiaC W White
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 1400 Jackson St, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 25:51-9. 2001..Taken together, these data indicate that specific surfactant proteins are upregulated at both the pretranslational and post-translational levels in distal lung epithelium during adaptation to hyperoxia in the newborn rat...
- Surfactant protein levels in severe respiratory syncytial virus infectionM H Kerr
Department of Child Health, University of Glasgow, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 159:1115-8. 1999..We conclude that alterations in surfactant protein concentrations are present in severe RSV infection and speculate that these may contribute to the abnormalities of lung function seen in this condition...
- Serial changes in surfactant-associated proteins in lung and serum before and after onset of ARDSK E Greene
Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1843-50. 1999..Strategies to increase these surfactant proteins in the lungs of patients with ARDS could be useful to modify the onset or the course of ARDS...
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia alters expression and distribution of lung collectins SP-A and SP-DE N Atochina
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6061, USA
J Lab Clin Med 137:429-39. 2001..001). We conclude that PCP induces marked elevations in alveolar collectin levels because of increased expression and accumulation of SP-A and SP-D protein in SA surfactant...
- Surfactant proteins A and B as interactive genetic determinants of neonatal respiratory distress syndromeR Haataja
Department of Paediatrics, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 9:2751-60. 2000..001, OR = 0.2, CI 0.1-0.6). We propose that the SP-B Ile131Thr polymorphism is a determinant for certain SP-A alleles as factors causing genetic susceptibility to RDS (6A(2), 1A(0)) or protection against it (6A(3), 1A(2))...
- [Effect of intrauterine acute ischemic-hypoxia on the expression of lung SP-A and SP-B in neonatal rats]Xu Xu Cai
Department of Pediatrics, The 2nd Clinical Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, China
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 41:208-11. 2003....
- Mutations of rat surfactant protein A have distinct effects on its glycosylation, secretion, aggregation and degradationWenbing Yang
Department of Pathology, Provincial Key Laboratory of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Immunopathology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong Province, China
Life Sci 117:47-55. 2014..We aim to examine how mutations in SP-A that impair its glycosylation affect its biological properties and lead to disease...
- Crystallographic complexes of surfactant protein A and carbohydrates reveal ligand-induced conformational changeFeifei Shang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 286:757-65. 2011..The ability to undergo conformational changes may help SP-A adapt to different ligand classes, including microbial glycolipids and surfactant lipids...
- [Effect of NG-nitro-L-arginine on pulmonary surfactant and pulmonary apoptosis in acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide]Li Ping Li
Institute of Materia Medica, Hebei Academy of Medical Sciences, Shijiazhuang 050021, Hebei, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 22:397-400. 2010..To investigate the effects of NG-nitro-L-arginine (L-NA) on pulmonary surfactant (PS) and pulmonary cells apoptosis in lipopolysaccharide (LPS) induced acute lung injury (ALI)...
- Respiratory symptoms among infants at risk for asthma: association with surfactant protein A haplotypesMelinda M Pettigrew
Yale Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
BMC Med Genet 8:15. 2007We examined the association between single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in loci encoding surfactant protein A (SFTPA) and risk of wheeze and persistent cough during the first year of life among a cohort of infants at risk for ..
- Spatial and temporal expression of surfactant proteins in hyperoxia-induced neonatal rat lung injurySimone A J ter Horst
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, J6 S, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
BMC Pulm Med 6:8. 2006..The spatial and temporal patterns of expression of surfactant proteins are not yet fully established in newborn infants and animal models suffering from BPD...
- Association of common haplotypes of surfactant protein A1 and A2 (SFTPA1 and SFTPA2) genes with severity of lung disease in cystic fibrosisEun Hwa Choi
Section on Genomic Variation, Pediatric Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4065, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:255-62. 2006..Components of innate immunity, namely, mannose-binding lectin (MBL2), and surfactant protein A1 and A2 genes (SFTPA1 and SFTPA2), were shown to be critical in pulmonary host defenses...
- Surfactant protein A and B genetic variants predispose to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisMoises Selman
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico DF, Mexico
Hum Genet 113:542-50. 2003..These findings indicate that surfactant protein variants may serve as markers to identify subgroups of patients at risk, and we speculate that these contribute to IPF pathogenesis...
- Continuous mechanical contraction modulates expression of alveolar epithelial cell phenotypeJorge A Gutierrez
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 29:81-7. 2003..In summary, mechanical contraction favors expression of the type II cell phenotype and inhibits expression of the type I cell phenotype in a time- and amplitude-dependent manner...
- Surfactant protein deficiency in familial interstitial lung diseaseR S Amin
Children s Hospital Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr 139:85-92. 2001..To determine the contribution of surfactant protein abnormalities to the development of chronic lung injury in a familial form of interstitial lung disease...
- Differential effects in vivo of thyroid hormone on the expression of surfactant phospholipid, surfactant protein mRNA and antioxidant enzyme mRNA in fetal rat lungS M Ramadurai
Department of Pediatrics, Floating Hospital for Children, New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Exp Lung Res 24:641-57. 1998..Because of a crucial interplay of these factors for normal lung function at the time of birth, the molecular mechanisms by which these apparently opposing changes are accomplished warrant further investigation...
- [Influence of vasoactive intestinal peptide on expression of pulmonary surfactant associated protein A in lung explants]Lian Li
Department of Physiology, Xiang Ya School of Medicine, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 20:117-20. 2004..To study the influence of VIP on the expression of SP-A and its intracellular signal transduction pathway...
- Distribution of intracellular and secreted surfactant during postnatal rat lung developmentAndreas Schmiedl
Department of Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:548-62. 2007..4) The volume fractions of Lb correlated well with the pool sizes of phospholipids in lavaged lungs. Our study emphasizes differential patterns of developmental changes of the surfactant system relative to postnatal alveolarization...
- Decrease of the surface fraction of surfactant proteins containing clara cells and type II pneumocytes in a rat asthma modelAndreas Schmiedl
Department I, Centre of Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Exp Toxicol Pathol 56:265-72. 2005..Thus, in this animal model of asthma the inflammatory process after allergen challenge is accompanied by alterations in the distribution patterns of SP in Clara cells and type II pneumocytes...
- Serum surfactant protein D is increased in acute and chronic inflammation in miceMasaki Fujita
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka, Japan
Cytokine 31:25-33. 2005..These data clarified profile of SP-A and SP-D in acute and chronic inflammation and indicated that serum SP-D can serve as a biomarker of lung inflammation in both acute and chronic lung injury in mice...
- Improved lung preservation relates to an increase in tubular myelin-associated surfactant protein AHeinz Fehrenbach
Department of Internal Medicine Respiratory Medicine, Philipps University, Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Res 6:60. 2005..We hypothesized that the previously described preservation-dependent improvement of alveolar surfactant integrity after IR was associated with alterations in intraalveolar SP-A levels...
- Pulmonary surfactant protein A activates a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/calcium signal transduction pathway in human macrophages: participation in the up-regulation of mannose receptor activityAlison A Beharka
Interdisciplinary Program in Immunology and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA
J Immunol 175:2227-36. 2005..These studies provide further evidence that SP-A produced in the lung plays a role in modulating macrophage biology, thereby contributing to the alternative activation state of the alveolar macrophage...
- Association of polymorphisms in pulmonary surfactant protein A1 and A2 genes with high-altitude pulmonary edemaShweta Saxena
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi, India
Chest 128:1611-9. 2005....
- Distribution of surfactant proteins in type II pneumocytes of newborn, 14-day old, and adult rats: an immunoelectron microscopic and stereological studyAndreas Schmiedl
Centre of Anatomy, Hannover School of Medicine, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 124:465-76. 2005..The postnatal compartment-specific distribution of SP-A, precursors of SP-C and SP-D does not change...
- [The change of pulmonary surfactant associated protein A in acute pulmonary embolism]Chun Ping Liu
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 28:600-3. 2005To study the changes of pulmonary surfactant associated protein A (SPA) of lung tissue in acute pulmonary embolism (PE).
- Variants of the SFTPA1 and SFTPA2 genes and susceptibility to tuberculosis in EthiopiaS Malik
McGill Centre for the Study of Host Resistance, Departments of Medicine and Human Genetics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hum Genet 118:752-9. 2006..lung defense against invading pathogens is provided by surfactant protein A, a multi-chain protein encoded by the SFTPA1 and SFTPA2 genes...
- Overexpression of surfactant protein SP-A, SP-B, and SP-C mRNA in rat lungs with lipopolysaccharide-induced injuryK Sugahara
Department of Anesthesiology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Lab Invest 74:209-20. 1996..These results suggest that proliferation and differentiation of alveolar epithelial cells may play important roles in the repair process of the damaged alveoli after acute lung injury...
- Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis in SCID miceV M Jennings
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 13:297-306. 1995..These results suggest that SCID mice have a defect in surfactant homeostasis that resembles PAP in humans and may serve as an animal model in further elucidating the pathogenesis of this disease...
- Surfactant protein levels in bronchoalveolar lavage after segmental allergen challenge in patients with asthmaV J Erpenbeck
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Allergy 61:598-604. 2006..Because surfactant proteins (SP) account for immunomodulatory functions as well as biophysical functions, we hypothesized that the allergic response in asthma might be accompanied by a dysregulation of SPs...
- Direct interaction of surfactant protein A with myometrial binding sites: signaling and modulation by bacterial lipopolysaccharideIgnacio Garcia-Verdugo
Equipe Endotoxines, Institut de Biochimie et Biophysique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 8619, Universite Paris Sud, 91400 Orsay, France
Biol Reprod 76:681-91. 2007Surfactant protein A (SFTPA1), a member of the collagenous lectin (collectin) family, was first described as a major constituent of lung surfactant, but has recently also been found in the female genital tract...
- Genetic variants of surfactant proteins A, B, C, and D in bronchopulmonary dysplasiaJ Pavlovic
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, PSU, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Dis Markers 22:277-91. 2006..The data indicate that SP loci are linked to BPD. Studies in different study groups and/or of larger sample size are warranted to confirm these observations and delineate genetic background of BPD subgroups...
- Immunohistochemical distribution of surfactant apoproteins in hypoplastic lungs of nonimmunologic hydrops fetalisN Toki
Department of Pathology, Kyushu University, Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Hum Pathol 26:1252-9. 1995....
- Mild vitamin A deficiency delays fetal lung maturation in the ratB Chailley-Heu
INSERM U319, Développement Normal et Pathologique des Fonctions Epitheliales, Universite Paris 7 Denis Diderot, Paris, France
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 21:89-96. 1999..Vitamin A deficiency is therefore a cause of lung maturational delay. In view of its rather large incidence in human populations, it may represent an increased risk for RDS and an aggravating factor for prematurity...
- Sinonasal surfactant protein A1, A2, and D gene expression in cystic fibrosis: a preliminary reportBradford A Woodworth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:34-8. 2007..To measure alterations in SPA1, A2, and D gene expression in various forms of inflammatory chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS)...
- Time-dependent changes in pulmonary surfactant function and composition in acute respiratory distress syndrome due to pneumonia or aspirationReinhold Schmidt
University of Giessen Lung Center, Medical Clinic II, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 8:55. 2007..We therefore examined the time-course of surfactant changes in 15 patients with direct ARDS (pneumonia, aspiration) over the first 8 days after onset of mechanical ventilation...
- Alterations to surfactant precede physiological deterioration during high tidal volume ventilationAdam A Maruscak
Lawson Health Research Institute F4 117, 268 Grosvenor St, London, ON, Canada, N6A 4V2
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L974-83. 2008..Together, these results suggest that alterations of surfactant are a consequence of the ventilation strategy that impair the biophysical activity of this material and thereby contribute directly to lung dysfunction over time...
- The alteration and significance of surfactant protein A in rats chronically exposed to cigarette smokeQiongjie Hu
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Key Laboratory of Respiratory Disease of Ministry of Public Health, Wuhan 430030, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 28:128-31. 2008....
- Effect of inhaled budesonide on surfactant protein expression in asthmatic miceZhi Wei Yu
Department of Pediatrics, Wuxi People s Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Wuxi 214023, China
Allergy Asthma Proc 29:486-92. 2008..TGF-beta signaling may be a potentially important therapeutic target for antiasthma drugs...
- Transmission of surfactant protein variants and haplotypes in children hospitalized with respiratory syncytial virusNeal J Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Pediatr Res 66:70-3. 2009..Further study is required to determine whether these variants can be used to target a high-risk patient population in clinical trials aimed at reducing either the symptoms of acute infection or long-term pulmonary sequelae...
- Molecular phenotypes distinguish patients with relatively stable from progressive idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)Kathy Boon
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e5134. 2009....
- Effect of epidermal growth factor and dexamethasone on fetal rat lung developmentLian Ma
Department of Pediatrics, Second Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong 515041, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:2013-6. 2009..We investigated the preventive and therapeutic effects of EGF in respiratory distress syndrome, by administering EGF and dexamethasone (Dex) to mother rat before delivery...
- Surfactant protein A stimulates release of neutrophil chemotactic factors by alveolar type II pneumocytesMitchell J Kresch
Department of Pediatrics, Perinatal Research Laboratory, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Lung 188:491-7. 2010..We conclude that SP-A stimulates the release of neutrophil chemotactic factor by alveolar type II cells, and this effect is mediated by the receptor for SP-A specifically expressed by these cells...
- Isolation and sequence of a cDNA clone for the rat pulmonary surfactant-associated protein (PSP-A)K Sano
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 144:367-74. 1987..Isolated rat alveolar type II cells contain two species of mRNA for this protein...
- Pulmonary surfactant protein A enhances endolysosomal trafficking in alveolar macrophages through regulation of Rab7Vicky Sender
Division of Cellular Pneumology, Department of Experimental Pneumology, Research Center Borstel, Leibniz Center for Medicine and Biosciences, 23845 Borstel, Germany
J Immunol 186:2397-411. 2011..The data demonstrate a novel role for SP-A in modulating endolysosomal trafficking via Rab7 in primary AM and define biochemical pathways involved...
- Differential allele expression of host defense genes, pulmonary surfactant protein-A and osteopontin, in ratZhenwu Lin
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, H166, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Mol Immunol 41:1155-65. 2004..We conclude that allele-specific expression occurs among genes of innate host defense. This may yet provide another level of regulatory complexity for molecules involved in the first line of defense...
- Surfactant abnormalities in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and sarcoidosisA Gunther
Dept of Internal Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, FRG
Eur Respir J 14:565-73. 1999..In conclusion, moderate changes in biochemical and physical surfactant properties are encountered in hypersensitivity pneumonitis and sarcoidosis, but pronounced disturbances occur in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis...
- Polymorphisms of surfactant protein A genes and the risk of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in preterm infantsB Weber
Department of Pediatrics and Neonatology, Justus Liebig University, University Children s Hospital, Giessen, Germany
Turk J Pediatr 42:181-5. 2000..In addition to previously established risk factors for BPD, 6A6 polymorphism for SP-A1 gene is an independent co-factor. We believe treatment of neonatal RDS should also include stratification according to genetic risk factors...
- Antagonistic effects of dexamethasone and retinoic acid on rat lung morphogenesisE Oshika
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Pediatr Res 43:315-24. 1998..In conclusion, the study shows antagonism by RA of DEX-induced effects on lung morphology and gene expression. We postulate that normal lung development requires a balanced action of endogenous retinoids and glucocorticoids...
- Exudative lung injury is associated with decreased levels of surfactant proteins in a rat model of meconium aspirationG M Cleary
Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University and Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Pediatrics 100:998-1003. 1997..This study investigated the delayed effects of meconium on alveolar surfactant phospholipids and protein levels in spontaneously breathing animals...
- Surfactant composition in infants and young children with cystic fibrosisJ Hull
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156:161-5. 1997..05). These results suggest that the bronchial surfactant of infants with CF is altered following lower airway infection and inflammation and is not a primary abnormality associated with this disorder...
- Respiratory distress after intratracheal bleomycin: selective deficiency of surfactant proteins B and CR C Savani
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4399, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281:L685-96. 2001..We conclude that respiratory distress after bleomycin in rats results from surfactant dysfunction in part secondary to selective downregulation of SP-B and SP-C...
- Surfactant protein gene A, B, and D marker alleles in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease of a Mexican populationX Guo
Dept of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey 17033, USA
Eur Respir J 18:482-90. 2001..These observations should now be confirmed in a larger study, designed according to strict epidemiological criteria...
- Total extracellular surfactant is increased but abnormal in a rat model of gram-negative bacterial pneumoniaThomas A Russo
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo 14214, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 283:L655-63. 2002..In vitro surface cycling studies with calf lung surfactant extract suggested that bacterially derived factors may have contributed in part to the surfactant alterations seen in vivo...
- Pulmonary surfactant protein A up-regulates activity of the mannose receptor, a pattern recognition receptor expressed on human macrophagesAlison A Beharka
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine and Microbiology, Interdisciplinary Immunology Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 169:3565-73. 2002..SP-A contributes to the alternative activation state of the AM in the lung...
- Association of polymorphisms in the collagen region of human SP-A1 and SP-A2 genes with pulmonary tuberculosis in Indian populationTaruna Madan
Molecular Biochemistry and Diagnostics, Centre for Biochemical Technology, Delhi, India
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:1002-8. 2002..000, OR = 16.3, 95% CI: 7.8644<OR<33.9244). The results indicated that these SNPs in the collagen region of SP-A2 may be one of the contributing factors to the genetic predisposition to pulmonary tuberculosis...
- [Clinical significance of serum surfactant proteins A and D in idiopathic interstitial pneumonia]Y Honda
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi 34:181-5. 1996..We conclude that measurement of SP-D and SP-A in sera can provide an easily identifiable and useful clinical marker for the diagnosis of IIP, and can be used to predict the disease activity of IIP...
- Pulmonary surfactant protein-A (SP-A) restores the surface properties of surfactant after oxidation by a mechanism that requires the Cys6 interchain disulfide bond and the phospholipid binding domainKarina Rodriguez Capote
Departments of Obstetrics Gynecology and Biochemistry, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Fetal and Neonatal Health and Development, University of Western Ontario, London N6A 5A5, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:20461-74. 2003....
- Relationship of anti-GM-CSF antibody concentration, surfactant protein A and B levels, and serum LDH to pulmonary parameters and response to GM-CSF therapy in patients with idiopathic alveolar proteinosisJ F Seymour
Melbourne Tumour Biology Branch, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Melbourne, Australia
Thorax 58:252-7. 2003....
- Macrophage-independent fungicidal action of the pulmonary collectinsFrancis X McCormack
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36250-6. 2003....
- Circadian rhythm of surfactant protein A, B and C mRNA in ratsChung Mi Kim
Department of Medicine, Hanyang University College of Medicine, 17 Haengdang dong, Sungdong gu, Seoul 133 792, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 18:76-82. 2003..The alveolar epithelial type II cell of the mammalian lung synthesizes, stores, and secretes a lipoprotein pulmonary surfactant, which functions to stabilize alveoli at low lung volumes...
- Nitric oxide decreases surfactant protein gene expression in primary cultures of type II pneumocytesJae W Lee
Dept of Anesthesiology, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288:L950-7. 2005..The results showed that NO mediated the decrease in surfactant protein gene expression at least in part through an increase in endothelin-1 secretion and a decrease in phosphorylated ERK1/2 MAPKs...
- Pulmonary surfactant, lung function, and endobronchial inflammation in cystic fibrosisMatthias Griese
Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:1000-5. 2004....
- Pulmonary collectins enhance phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium through increased activity of mannose receptorKazumi Kudo
Department of Biochemistry, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1 West 17, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8556, Japan
J Immunol 172:7592-602. 2004..These results provide compelling evidence that SP-A and SP-D enhance mannose receptor-mediated phagocytosis of M. avium by macrophages...
- Diminished lung compliance and elevated surfactant lipids and proteins in nutritionally obese young ratsL S Inselman
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pulmonology, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, 1600 Rockland Road, Wilmington, Delaware 19899, USA
Lung 182:101-17. 2004..We speculate that intrapulmonary lipid deposition and possible surfactant deficiency relative to alveolar surface area may contribute to the reduction in lung compliance in obese rats...
- Pulmonary surfactant protein A augments the phagocytosis of Streptococcus pneumoniae by alveolar macrophages through a casein kinase 2-dependent increase of cell surface localization of scavenger receptor AKoji Kuronuma
Department of Biochemistry, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8556, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:21421-30. 2004..pneumoniae by alveolar macrophages through a CK2-dependent increase of cell surface SR-A localization. This study reveals a novel mechanism of bacterial clearance by alveolar macrophages...
- Effects of maternal dexamethasone on expression of SP-A, SP-B, and SP-C in the fetal rat lungD E Schellhase
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 4:304-12. 1991..The abundance of mRNAs for SP-B and SP-C also increased in day-17 fetuses after either 1 or 3 d of DEX treatment.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Attenuated allergic airway hyperresponsiveness in C57BL/6 mice is associated with enhanced surfactant protein (SP)-D production following allergic sensitizationElena N Atochina
Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Respir Res 4:15. 2003..We hypothesized that an elevated SP-D production is associated with the impaired ability of C57BL/6 mice to develop allergic AHR...
- Surfactant protein A accumulating in the alveoli of patients with pulmonary alveolar proteinosis: oligomeric structure and interaction with lipidsA Hattori
Department of Biochemistry, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Japan
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 14:608-19. 1996....
- Crystal structure of trimeric carbohydrate recognition and neck domains of surfactant protein AJames F Head
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 278:43254-60. 2003....
- Pulmonary surfactant protein A, B, and C mRNA and protein expression in the nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia rat modelMinke van Tuyl
Department of Surgery, Sophia Children s Hospital, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, 3015 GJ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 54:641-52. 2003..No differences in the mean OD or % Area for the SP mRNAs were found between the ipsi- and contralateral side of CDH lungs. We conclude that there is no primary deficiency of surfactant proteins in the nitrofen-induced CDH rat model...
- Effect of surfactant protein A on granular pneumocyte surfactant secretion in vitroSandra R Bates
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6068, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L1055-65. 2003..Finally, there was no evidence of a large PL pool retained on the cell surface through interaction with SP-A. Thus SP-A exposure does not affect these stages in the surfactant secretory pathway of type II cells...
- Interaction of surfactant protein A with peroxiredoxin 6 regulates phospholipase A2 activityYong Zheng Wu
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, One John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6068, USA
J Biol Chem 281:7515-25. 2006..0 and partial Ca(2+) dependence of binding at pH 7.4. These results indicate a direct interaction between SP-A and Prdx6, which provides a mechanism for regulation of the PLA(2) activity of Prdx6 by SP-A...
- Increased surfactant protein a and d expression in acute ovalbumin-induced allergic airway inflammation in brown norway ratsA Schmiedl
Institute of Functional and Applied Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 148:118-26. 2009..The surfactant proteins SP-A and SP-D, components of the innate immune system, are involved in host defence...
- Surfactant protein a inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced immune cell activation by preventing the interaction of lipopolysaccharide with lipopolysaccharide-binding proteinCordula Stamme
Department of Immunochemistry and Biochemical Microbiology, Research Center Borstel, Center for Medicine and Bioscience, Borstel, Germany
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 27:353-60. 2002..Therefore, the ability of SP-A to inhibit immune cell activation by Re-LPS may be due to its ability to block the binding of Re-LPS to LBP and prevent the initiation of the LBP/CD14 pathway for inflammatory reactions in the lung...
- Sequence of rat surfactant protein A gene and functional mapping of its upstream regionC I Smith
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6068, USA
Am J Physiol 269:L603-12. 1995..Because the SP-A gene promoter region exhibits limited tissue specificity, the results suggest the existence of other DNA elements which overcome the silencer and confer further lung specificity...
- Neither SP-A nor NH2-terminal domains of SP-A can substitute for SP-D in regulation of alveolar homeostasisLiqian Zhang
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, OH 45229, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L181-90. 2006..the specificity of the functions of these domains, the SFTPC promoter was used to express 1) full-length rat (r) Sftpa; 2) NH(2)-rSftpa/d, consisting of NH(2)-terminal and collagenous domains of SP-A with neck domain and CRD of SP-D; ..
- Surfactant protein A2 (SP-A2) variants expressed in CHO cells stimulate phagocytosis of Pseudomonas aeruginosa more than do SP-A1 variantsAnatoly N Mikerov
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Infect Immun 75:1403-12. 2007..We conclude that SP-A2 variants stimulate phagocytosis of P. aeruginosa more effectively than SP-A1 variants and that posttranslational modifications positively influence the phagocytic activity of SP-A...
- Rat pulmonary surfactant protein A is expressed as two differently sized mRNA species which arise from differential polyadenylation of one transcriptJ H Fisher
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
Biochim Biophys Acta 950:338-45. 1988..However, there are no apparent alterations in the prevalence of either mRNA species during fetal development or in the early postnatal period...
- 2005 LAM Foundation Lymphangioleiomyomatosis ResearchFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- 1-Cys-peroxiredoxin, A Novel Lung Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will give insights into the function and antioxidant activity of this potentially important, newly described enzyme. ..
- Gene Discovery for Pneumococcal Otitis MediaMelinda Pettigrew; Fiscal Year: 2005..Discovery of additional factors involved in streptococcal OM will facilitate the development of new strategies for the control and prevention of this important disease. ..
- Lung epithelial cell survival signaling in ozone in cystic fibrosis and normalsCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will increase our understanding of lung oxidant injury and repair in CF and normals, and of normal defense mechanisms of airway epithelium. ..
- Regulation of Inflammation in Asthma by Fas LigandAngela Haczku; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, in order to help support the hypothesis that pro-apoptotic FasL activity characterized in human airway cells is truly physiologic, we will perform challenge studies in mice under FasL neutralizing conditions. ..
- Surfactant-Protein Innate Immunity in an Asthma ModelAngela Haczku; Fiscal Year: 2008..The potential opportunity to interfere with allergic sensitization by SP-D treatment bears high clinical significance. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research Conference 2006Francis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hypoxia-inducible factors bronchopulmonary dysplasia-BPDCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2006..Therapy at the level of HIF transcription factors to improve angiogenesis and alveolar development offers promise to prevent BPD. ..
- Lymphangioleimyomatosis Research ConferenceFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANOREGULATION OF ALVEOLAR CELL PHENOTYPIC EXPRESSIONJorge Gutierrez; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- BACTERIAL MODULATION OF LUNG INFLAMMATORY RESPONSEThomas Russo; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. hemolysin) and bacterially induced host response elements in directly mediating the pathogenesis of lung injury. ..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research ProjectFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF HEXOKINASE IN LUNG ADAPTATION TO OXIDANT STRESSCarl White; Fiscal Year: 2002..Together, these approaches will define the role of HK in adaptation to hyperoxia. ..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Research ProjectFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2002..Efforts have been made to attract established investigators from related disciplines who can complement the expertise of the LAM investigators. ..
- Molecular epidemiologic identification of pneumococcal tissue specific genesMELINDA MARY PETTIGREW; Fiscal Year: 2010..A greater understanding of the genetic factors that influence the virulence potential of pneumococcal clones is critical to our ability to develop effective methods to control, prevent, and treat these important infections. ..
- PHASE III TRIAL FO SIROLIMUS IN LYMPHANGIOLEIOMYLMATOSISFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2009..Patient safety will be monitored by an NIH Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB). The MILES trial is designed as a pivotal study to determine if sirolimus is effective in stabilizing or improving lung function in patients with LAM. ..
- Novel Antioxidant Mechanisms of Surfactant ProteinsFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will provide important insights into the roles of the surfactant proteins in preventing oxidative lung disease and may be useful for the design of novel recombinant proteins and peptides of therapeutic value. ..
- The 2007 LAM Foundation Lymphangioleiomyomatosis International Research ConferencFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SURFACTANT PROTEIN A IN PULMONARY HOST DEFENSEFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will elucidate the role of SP-A in the innate immune defense of the lung, and may assist in the design of optimal antimicrobial strategies. ..