Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ren
Alias: RATRENAA, RENAA, Ren1, renin, angiotensinogenase, renin 1 structural
- Congenic strains reveal the effect of the renin gene on skeletal muscle angiogenesis induced by electrical stimulationMicheline M de Resende
Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Physiol Genomics 33:33-40. 2008..The present study explored the effect of regulation of the renin gene on angiogenesis induced by electrical stimulation with the use of physiological, pharmacological, and genetic ..
- Association of the renin-sodium profile with the risk of myocardial infarction in patients with hypertensionM H Alderman
Department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, N Y 10461 1602
N Engl J Med 324:1098-104. 1991To test the prognostic value of plasma renin activity prospectively, we determined the pretreatment renin-sodium profile of 1717 subjects with mild-to-moderate hypertension (mean age, 53 years; 36 percent white; 67 percent men) in a ..
- Elevation of plasma angiotensinogen in rats with experimentally induced nephrosisK Yayama
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kobe Gakuin University, Japan
Nephron 63:89-93. 1993In order to determine the activity of the renin-angiotensin system in the nephrotic syndrome, the plasma concentration of angiotensinogen was measured in rats with puromycin aminonucleoside (PA)-induced nephrosis using two different ..
- Renin released from mast cells activated by circulating MCP-1 initiates the microvascular phase of the systemic inflammation of alveolar hypoxiaJie Chao
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, 66160, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H2264-70. 2011..Circulating AMO-borne MCP-1 induces MC degranulation, which activates the local renin-angiotensin system (RAS) and mediates the microvascular inflammation...
- Neurohumoral and haemodynamic profile in postural tachycardia and chronic fatigue syndromesLuis E Okamoto
Vanderbilt Autonomic Dysfunction Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, U S A
Clin Sci (Lond) 122:183-92. 2012..0±0.3 ng/ml per·h; P=0.033) and upright (5.4±0.6 compared with 3.5±0.8 ng/ml per h; P=0.032) PRA (plasma renin activity). In conclusion, fatigue and CFS-defining symptoms are common in POTS patients...
- Characterization of the genomic structure and function of regions influencing renin and angiogenesis in the SS ratTimothy J Stodola
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Physiol Genomics 43:808-17. 2011Impaired regulation of renin in Dahl salt-sensitive rats (SS/JRHsdMcwi, SS) contributes to attenuated angiogenesis in this strain...
- Renin inhibitor aliskiren exerts neuroprotection against amyloid beta-peptide toxicity in rat cortical neuronsShang Der Chen
Department of Neurology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Neurochem Int 61:369-77. 2012..b>Renin-angiotensin system (RAS) blockers, including the renin inhibitor aliskiren, are a group of clinically relevant ..
- Adipogenic differentiation of adipose tissue-derived human mesenchymal stem cells: effect of gastric bypass surgeryJie Gen Chen
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, 407 Crutchfield St, Durham, NC 27704, USA
Surg Endosc 26:3449-56. 2012..These changes result in insulin resistance, chronic vascular inflammation, oxidative stress, and activation of the renin-angiotensin system (RAS), eventually leading to type 2 diabetes, obesity-related hypertension, and cardiovascular ..
- Comparison of the effects of cilnidipine and amlodipine on cardiac remodeling and diastolic dysfunction in Dahl salt-sensitive ratsMiwa Takatsu
Department of Pathophysiological Laboratory Sciences, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
J Hypertens 30:1845-55. 2012..We have now investigated the effects of cilnidipine, in comparison with amlodipine, on cardiac pathophysiology in rats with salt-sensitive hypertension...
- Controlled hypertension induces cerebrovascular and gene alterations in Cyp1a1-Ren2 transgenic ratsMercede A Pannozzo
Centre for Neuroregeneration, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
J Am Soc Hypertens 7:411-9. 2013..These changes are paralleled by alterations in growth factor expression suggestive of a mechanistic role. ..
- Methylglyoxal, a reactive glucose metabolite, increases renin angiotensin aldosterone and blood pressure in male Sprague-Dawley ratsIndu Dhar
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Am J Hypertens 27:308-16. 2014The majority of people with diabetes develop hypertension along with increased activity of the renin-angiotensin system. Methylglyoxal, a reactive glucose metabolite, is elevated in diabetic patients...
- Effect of the renin inhibitor aliskiren against retinal ischemia-reperfusion injuryKaori Tenkumo
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagawa University Faculty of Medicine, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Exp Eye Res 122:110-8. 2014The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of the renin inhibitor, aliskiren, on retinal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Retinal ischemia was induced by increasing intraocular pressure to 130 mmHg...
- Renin knockout rat: control of adrenal aldosterone and corticosterone synthesis in vitro and adrenal gene expressionHershel Raff
Endocrine Research Laboratory, Aurora St Luke s Medical Center, Aurora Research Institute, Milwaukee, Wisconsin Departments of Medicine, Surgery, and Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 308:R73-7. 2015The classic renin-angiotensin system is partly responsible for controlling aldosterone secretion from the adrenal cortex via the peptide angiotensin II (ANG II)...
- Prorenin stimulates a pro-angiogenic and pro-inflammatory response in retinal endothelial cells and an M1 phenotype in retinal microgliaTong Zhu
Department of Immunology and Pathology, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 42:537-48. 2015..These processes involve the retinal endothelium and the retinal immune cells, microglia. The renin-angiotensin system contributes to retinal injury via the actions of the type 1 angiotensin receptor (AT1R)...
- Perinatally administered losartan augments renal ACE2 expression but not cardiac or renal Mas receptor in spontaneously hypertensive ratsJan Klimas
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
J Cell Mol Med 19:1965-74. 2015Since the identification of the alternative angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE)2/Ang-(1-7)/Mas receptor axis, renin-angiotensin system (RAS) is a new complex target for a pharmacological intervention...
- Elevation of (Pro)Renin and (Pro)Renin Receptor in PreeclampsiaJessica Thomason
Texas A and M University Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, Texas
Am J Hypertens 28:1277-84. 2015Preeclampsia (preE), a syndrome of hypertension, proteinuria, and edema, has many elusive triggers. The renin-angiotensin system has been implicated in preE pathogenesis...
- Anti-necrotic and cardioprotective effects of a cytosolic renin isoform under ischemia-related conditionsHeike Wanka
Department of Physiology, University Medicine of Greifswald, Greifswalder Str 11c, D 17495, Karlsburg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 94:61-9. 2016In the heart, secretory renin promotes hypertrophy, apoptosis, necrosis, fibrosis, and cardiac failure through angiotensin generation from angiotensinogen...
- Modulation in Natriuretic Peptides System in Experimental Colitis in RatsChang Ho Lee
Department of Surgery, Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Jeonju, Korea
Dig Dis Sci 61:1060-8. 2016b>Renin-angiotensin system is involved in the pathophysiology of colonic inflammation. However, there are a few reports about modulation of natriuretic peptide system.
- Sex differences in renin response and changes of capillary diameters after renal ischemia/reperfusion injuryRózsa Csohány
Ist Department of Pediatrics, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Pediatr Transplant 20:619-26. 2016..The regulation of RAS differs in the two genders. However, the extent of gender differences and locations of renin production have not been revealed yet...
- Pharmacogenomic strain differences in cardiovascular sensitivity to propofolThomas A Stekiel
Anesthesia Research, The Medical College of Wisconsin and The Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 115:1192-200. 2011..A pharmacogenomic approach was used to further localize the genetic region responsible for previously observed enhanced cardiovascular sensitivity to propofol in Dahl Salt Sensitive (SS) versus control Brown Norway (BN) rats...
- Expression and nutritional regulation of the (pro)renin receptor in rat visceral adipose tissueV Achard
Aix Marseille University, Laboratoire d Histologie Embryologie, Marseille, France
J Endocrinol Invest 34:840-6. 2011..Early life nutritional environment plays an important role in the development of visceral adipose tissue and interacts with nutritional regulations in adulthood, leading to metabolic dysregulations...
- Accumulation of renin and imidazolone in peritubular capillary endothelial cells in insulin-resistant hypertensive ratsZoltan Wagner
Second Department of Medicine and Nephrological Center, University of Pecs, Pacsirta Street 1, Pecs, Hungary
J Nephrol 24:656-64. 2011..The aim of our study was to investigate renal histology in rats with hypertension and IGT, with special emphasis on the peritubular endothelium...
- Cardiac hypertrophy in vitamin D receptor knockout mice: role of the systemic and cardiac renin-angiotensin systemsWei Xiang
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E125-32. 2005Our recent studies suggest that 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 functions as an endocrine suppressor of renin biosynthesis...
- Postnatal early overnutrition dysregulates the intrarenal renin-angiotensin system and extracellular matrix-linked molecules in juvenile male ratsHyung Eun Yim
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Nutr Biochem 23:937-45. 2012..In the immunoblots and immunohistochemistry, renin and angiotensin II type (AT) 2 receptor expression increased in the overfed rats (P<.05)...
- Increased renin excretion is associated with augmented urinary angiotensin II levels in chronic angiotensin II-infused hypertensive ratsLiu Liu
Dept of Physiology, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F1195-201. 2011b>Renin expression in principal cells of collecting ducts (CD) is upregulated in angiotensin II (ANG II)-dependent hypertensive rats; however, it remains unclear whether increased CD-derived renin undergoes tubular secretion...
- Genetic deficiency of Smad3 protects the kidneys from atrophy and interstitial fibrosis in 2K1C hypertensionGina M Warner
Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F1455-64. 2012..Two weeks after surgery, systolic blood pressure and plasma renin activity were significantly elevated in both the Smad3 KO and WT mice...
- TASK-3 channel deletion in mice recapitulates low-renin essential hypertensionNick A Guagliardo
Department of Pharmacology, University of Virginia, School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Hypertension 59:999-1005. 2012Idiopathic primary hyperaldosteronism (IHA) and low-renin essential hypertension (LREH) are common forms of hypertension, characterized by an elevated aldosterone-renin ratio and hypersensitivity to angiotensin II...
- [Hypertension-induced fibrosis: a balance story]F Azibani
INSERM U942, Universite Paris Diderot, Hopital Lariboisiere, 41, boulevard de la Chapelle, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 61:150-5. 2012..Inappropriate stimulation of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) participates to the development of heart failure...
- The increase in sympathetic nerve density in the atrium facilitates atrial fibrillation in patients with rheumatic heart diseaseYuanhong Li
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
Int J Cardiol 165:174-8. 2013..The hyperactivity of autonomic nervous system is known to contribute to the occurrence of Af in RHD patients. This study investigated the association between the autonomic density and the risk of Af in RHD patients...
- Prevention of acute kidney injury in a rodent model of cirrhosis following selective gut decontamination is associated with reduced renal TLR4 expressionNaina Shah
UCL Institute of Hepatology, UCL Medical School, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
J Hepatol 56:1047-53. 2012....
- Alteration of embryonic AT(2)-R and inflammatory cytokines gene expression induced by prenatal exposure to lipopolysaccharide affects renal developmentXue Qin Hao
Department of Pharmacology, College of Animal Science and Technology, Henan University of Science and Technology, Luoyang 471003, China
Exp Toxicol Pathol 65:433-9. 2013..79 mg/kg LPS on 8th, 10th and 12th day during gestation. The mRNA expression of angiotensinogen, renin, AT(1)-R, AT(2)-R, TNF-α and IL-6 in embryos were assessed...
- Congenic mapping and sequence analysis of the Renin locusMichael J Flister
Human and Molecular Genetics Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Hypertension 61:850-6. 2013b>Renin was the first blood pressure (BP) quantitative trait locus mapped by linkage analysis in the rat...
- Creation and characterization of a renin knockout ratCarol Moreno
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Hypertension 57:614-9. 2011The renin-angiotensin system plays an important role in the control of blood pressure (BP) and renal function...
- Cytosolic renin is targeted to mitochondria and induces apoptosis in H9c2 rat cardiomyoblastsHeike Wanka
Institute of Physiology, University of Greifswald, Karlsburg, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 13:2926-37. 2009..The consequences are fibrosis, remodelling and cardiac failure. The renin-angiotensin system promotes the development of cardiac failure...
- A renin transcript lacking exon 1 encodes for a non-secretory intracellular renin that increases aldosterone production in transgenic ratsJorg Peters
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 12:1229-37. 2008b>Renin transcripts lacking exon 1 and thus the signal sequence for co-translational transport to the endoplasmatic reticulum encode for a protein (exon[2-9]renin), that is confined to the cytoplasm...
- Renin dynamics in adipose tissue: adipose tissue control of local renin concentrationsJason D Fowler
Dept of Integrative Biology and Physiology, 6 125 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St S E, Univ of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E343-50. 2009The renin-angiotensin system (RAS) has been implicated in a variety of adipose tissue functions, including tissue growth, differentiation, metabolism, and inflammation...
- Intrarenal dopaminergic system regulates renin expressionMing Zhi Zhang
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Hypertension 53:564-70. 2009Dopamine is a major regulator of proximal tubule salt reabsorption and is a modulator of renin release. Dopamine has been reported to stimulate renin release in vitro through activation of D1-like receptors...
- Energy metabolism in human renin-gene transgenic rats: does renin contribute to obesity?Petra Gratze
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center, Helios Klinikum Berlin Buch, Berlin Buch, Germany
Hypertension 53:516-23. 2009b>Renin initiates angiotensin II formation and has no other known functions...
- Mineralocorticoid receptor antagonism attenuates glomerular filtration barrier remodeling in the transgenic Ren2 ratAdam Whaley-Connell
Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F1013-22. 2009..However, the mechanisms by which MR antagonism corrects both renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) impairments in renal insulin metabolic signaling and filtration barrier/..
- Prorenin contributes to angiotensin peptide formation in transgenic rats with rat prorenin expression targeted to the liverDuncan J Campbell
St Vincent s Institute of Medical Research and the Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Hypertension 54:1248-53. 2009..the evolution of the phenotype of male transgenic rats over 12 months and the effects of binephrectomy on the renin-angiotensin (Ang) system...
- Glucose promotes the production of interleukine-1beta and cyclooxygenase-2 in mesangial cells via enhanced (Pro)renin receptor expressionJiqian Huang
Department of Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 1409, USA
Endocrinology 150:5557-65. 2009Pro)renin receptor (PRR) is present in renal glomeruli, and its expression is up-regulated in diabetes. Similarly, renal inflammation is increased in the presence of hyperglycemia...
- Amiloride lowers arterial pressure in cyp1a1ren-2 transgenic rats without affecting renal vascular functionTorsten Schlüter
Institute of Physiology, University of Greifswald, Karlsburg, Germany
J Hypertens 28:2267-77. 2010..Using a rat model with an inducible mouse renin transgene (cyp1a1ren-2 transgenic rats), we tested the hypothesis that stimulation of the renin-angiotensin-..
- Impaired relaxation of cerebral arteries in the absence of elevated salt intake in normotensive congenic rats carrying the Dahl salt-sensitive renin geneMatthew J Durand
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H1865-74. 2010..5-Mbp portion and a 2.6-Mbp portion of chromosome 13 that lie on opposite sides of the renin locus, while the third contains a 2.0-Mbp overlapping region that includes the BN renin allele...
- Soluble form of the (pro)renin receptor is augmented in the collecting duct and urine of chronic angiotensin II-dependent hypertensive ratsAlexis A Gonzalez
Department of Physiology, Tulane University, School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Ave, SL39, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Hypertension 57:859-64. 2011b>Renin synthesis and secretion by principal cells of the collecting duct are enhanced in angiotensin (Ang) II-dependent hypertension...
- Introgression of the Brown Norway renin allele onto the Dahl salt-sensitive genetic background increases Cu/Zn SOD expression in cerebral arteriesMatthew J Durand
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Am J Hypertens 24:563-8. 2011..cerebral arteries (MCAs) from Dahl salt-sensitive (SS) rats that are fed normal salt (NS) diet, due to low plasma renin activity and chronic exposure to low plasma angiotensin II (ANG II) levels...
- Collecting duct renin is upregulated in both kidneys of 2-kidney, 1-clip goldblatt hypertensive ratsMinolfa C Prieto-Carrasquero
Department of Physiology and Hypertension and Renal Center of Excellence, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Hypertension 51:1590-6. 2008b>Renin in collecting duct cells is upregulated in chronic angiotensin II-infused rats via angiotensin II type 1 receptors...
- Assignment of 22 loci in the rat by somatic hybrid and linkage analysisR S Yeung
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Department of Surgical Oncology, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111
Mamm Genome 4:585-8. 1993..Results of this study further support the extensive conservation of synteny between the rat and mouse and, to a lesser degree, between rat and human...
- Angiotensin II feedback is a regulator of renocortical renin, COX-2, and nNOS expressionMartin C Kammerl
Institut fur Physiologie, Universitat Regensburg, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R1613-7. 2002Salt restriction leads to parallel increases of renin, cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) gene expression in the juxtaglomerular apparatus of rat kidneys...
- Coronary dilatation reserve in experimental hypertension and chronic heart failure: effects of blockade of the renin-angiotensin systemC Richer
Département de Pharmacologie et INSERM 00 01, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 28:997-1001. 2001..spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR)) or congestive heart failure (CHF) and the effects of early and chronic renin-angiotensin system (RAS) blockade thereupon. 2...
- Nitric oxide synthase mRNA levels correlate with gene expression of angiotensin II type-1 but not type-2 receptors, renin or angiotensin converting enzyme in selected brain areasO Krizanova
Institute of Molecular Physiology and Genetics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava
Physiol Res 50:473-80. 2001..nitric oxide synthase (bNOS) is related to the sites of gene expression of different components of the rat brain renin angiotensin system (renin, angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) or angiotensin receptors of AT1 and AT2 subtypes)...
- High-affinity prorenin binding to cardiac man-6-P/IGF-II receptors precedes proteolytic activation to reninJ J Saris
Department of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular Research Institute COEUR, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H1706-15. 2001..Intact and activated prorenin were measured in cell lysates with prosegment- and renin-specific antibodies, respectively...
- Similarities and differences in the subcellular localization of hamartin and tuberin in the kidneyV Murthy
Molecular Neurogenetics Unit, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 278:F737-46. 2000..is expressed in the thick ascending limbs of Henle and in juxtaglomerular cells, where it colocalizes with renin. In positive epithelial cells, tuberin localizes to the cytoplasm as well as the apical membrane...
- An alternative transcript of the rat renin gene can result in a truncated prorenin that is transported into adrenal mitochondriaS Clausmeyer
Department of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Circ Res 84:337-44. 1999Characterization of the local renin-angiotensin system in the rat adrenal zona glomerulosa indicated a dual targeting of renin both to the secretory pathway and mitochondria...
- Distinct renin isoforms generated by tissue-specific transcription initiation and alternative splicingM A Lee-Kirsch
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Circ Res 84:240-6. 1999The aspartyl protease renin catalyzes the initial and rate-limiting step in the formation of the biologically active peptide angiotensin II...
- Endogenous or overexpressed cGMP-dependent protein kinases inhibit cAMP-dependent renin release from rat isolated perfused kidney, microdissected glomeruli, and isolated juxtaglomerular cellsS Gambaryan
Medizinische Universitäts Klinik, Institut für Klinische Biochemie und Pathobiochemie, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:9003-8. 1998An overactive renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) has a central role in the pathogenesis of hypertension and cardiac hypertrophy, precursors of cardiac failure...
- Effects of renin gene transfer on blood pressure and renin gene expression in a congenic strain of Dahl salt-resistant ratsE M St Lezin
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Clin Invest 97:522-7. 1996To investigate whether a BP-regulatory locus exists in the vicinity of the renin locus on rat chromosome 13, we transferred this chromosome segment from the Dahl salt-sensitive (S) rat onto the genetic background of the Dahl salt-..
- Renin gene nucleotide sequence of coding and regulatory regions in Dahl ratsK Y Alam
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo 43699
Clin Exp Hypertens 15:599-614. 1993b>Renin alleles in the Dahl salt-hypertension sensitive (S) and Dahl salt-hypertension resistant (R) rats are known to strongly cosegregate with blood pressure...
- Characterisation of a thymic renin-angiotensin system in the transgenic m(Ren-2)27 ratJennifer L Wilkinson-Berka
Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Grattan Street, Parkville 3010, Victoria, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 194:201-9. 2002We previously showed the rat thymus contains and secretes active renin. However, the cellular location of the thymic renin-angiotensin system (RAS) is unknown...
- Genetic determinants of diastolic and pulse pressure map to different loci in Lyon hypertensive ratsC Dubay
INSERM U 358, Centre d Etude du Polymorphisme Humain, Paris, France
Nat Genet 3:354-7. 1993..Significant linkage was established between diastolic blood pressure and a microsatellite marker of the renin gene (REN) on rat chromosome 13, and between pulse pressure and the carboxypeptidase B gene (CPB) on chromosome 2...
- Heart mass and blood pressure have separate genetic determinants in the New Zealand genetically hypertensive (GH) ratE L Harris
Department of Biochemistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Hypertens 13:397-404. 1995..To determine associations between cardiovascular parameters and genotype in 205 F2 rats of both sexes and lineages from reciprocal crosses made between rats of the New Zealand genetically hypertensive (GH) and Brown Norway (BN) rat strains...
- Nucleotide sequence of rat renin cDNAM Tada
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 16:3576. 1988
- Structure of the rat renin geneA Fukamizu
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Mol Biol 201:443-50. 1988We have isolated the renin gene from a Sprague-Dawley rat genomic library and determined its complete nucleotide sequence. The single rat renin gene is approximately 11,000 bases in length and consists of nine exons and eight introns...
- Molecular cloning of rat renin cDNA and its geneC E Burnham
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:5605-9. 1987b>Renin (EC 22.214.171.124) is an aspartyl protease that cleaves its only known substrate, angiotensinogen, to release the vasopressor hormone angiotensin. We have isolated full-length cDNAs for renin from a rat kidney cDNA library...
- Structural analysis of 5'-flanking regions of rat, mouse and human renin genes reveals the presence of a transposable-like element in the two mouse genesD Tronik
LA CNRS 361, Departement d Immunologie, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Gene 69:71-80. 1988The two renin genes of the mouse (Ren1 and Ren2) are expressed at different levels in the submaxillary gland (SMG). In contrast to mice, there is no detectable renin gene expression in the rat SMG...
- Mutations in genes in the renin-angiotensin system are associated with autosomal recessive renal tubular dysgenesisOlivier Gribouval
Inserm U574, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Universite Rene Descartes, 149 rue de Sevres, 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nat Genet 37:964-8. 2005..to nine families, and found that they had homozygous or compound heterozygous mutations in the genes encoding renin, angiotensinogen, angiotensin converting enzyme or angiotensin II receptor type 1...
- Influence of sedentary versus physically active conditions on regulation of plasma renin activity and vasopressinPatrick J Mueller
Dalton Cardiovascular Research Center and Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R727-32. 2008..Plasma samples were collected and assayed for plasma AVP concentration and plasma renin activity (PRA)...
- The collecting duct is the major source of prorenin in diabetesJung J Kang
Department of Physiology, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Hypertension 51:1597-604. 2008In addition to the juxtaglomerular apparatus, renin is also synthesized in renal tubular epithelium, including the collecting duct (CD)...
- Mast cell renin and a local renin-angiotensin system in the airway: role in bronchoconstrictionArul Veerappan
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Weill Cornell Medical College, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1315-20. 2008We previously reported that mast cells express renin, the rate-limiting enzyme in the renin-angiotensin cascade. We have now assessed whether mast cell renin release triggers angiotensin formation in the airway...
- NO and cGMP mediate angiotensin AT2 receptor-induced renal renin inhibition in young ratsHelmy M Siragy
Department of Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1409, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R1461-7. 2007We hypothesized that angiotensin subtype-2 receptor (AT(2)R) inhibits renal renin biosynthesis in young rats via nitric oxide (NO)...
- Angiotensin II-mediated oxidative stress promotes myocardial tissue remodeling in the transgenic (mRen2) 27 Ren2 ratAdam Whaley-Connell
University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, MA436, DC043 0, One Hospital Dr, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E355-63. 2007..Ren2 rats overexpress the mouse renin transgene with resultant hypertension, insulin resistance, proteinuria, and cardiovascular damage...
- Renin/prorenin receptorsG Nguyen
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, INSERM Unit 36, College de France, Unit of Experimental Medicine, Paris, France
Kidney Int 69:1503-6. 2006The existence of a tissue renin-angiotensin (RAS) system independent of the circulating RAS has prompted the search for cellular binding sites for angiotensinogen and for renin in order to explain their tissue uptake...
- Effect of apocynin treatment on renal expression of COX-2, NOS1, and renin in Wistar-Kyoto and spontaneously hypertensive ratsA Paliege
Medical Faculty of the Charite, Department of Vegetative Anatomy, Berlin, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R694-700. 2006..Both nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandins have been considered to mediate or modulate the control of renin secretion. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) produced locally by NADPH oxidase may influence NO bioavailability...
- Strong association of a renin intronic dimorphism with essential hypertensionUsman Ahmad
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical College, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Hypertens Res 28:339-44. 2005..two-fold: to identify the genetic mutation that has been detected as an MboI dimorphism in intron 9 of the human renin (REN) gene and to confirm a previously reported, putative association between the REN MboI dimorphism and clinical ..
- Renin inhibition attenuates insulin resistance, oxidative stress, and pancreatic remodeling in the transgenic Ren2 ratJavad Habibi
Departments of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Endocrinology 149:5643-53. 2008Emerging evidence indicates that pancreatic tissue expresses all components of the renin-angiotensin system. However, the functional role is not well understood...
- AT1 receptor-mediated enhancement of collecting duct renin in angiotensin II-dependent hypertensive ratsMinolfa C Prieto-Carrasquero
Dept of Physiology and Hypertension, Tulane Univ Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F632-7. 2005Angiotensin II (ANG II)-infused rats exhibit increases in distal nephron renin expressed in principal cells of connecting tubules and collecting ducts...
- Activation of the rat renin promoter by HOXD10.PBX1b.PREP1, Ets-1, and the intracellular domain of notchLi Pan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263 0001, USA
J Biol Chem 280:20860-6. 2005b>Renin gene expression is subject to complex developmental and tissue-specific regulation...
- Targeting the renin-angiotensin system: what's new?B J Leckie
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, RK Clinical Sciences Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE2 7LX, UK
Curr Med Chem Cardiovasc Hematol Agents 3:23-32. 2005The renin-angiotensin system is a key target for drugs combating cardiovascular disease. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin receptor type-1 (AT1 receptor) blockers are well known...
- Inhibition of diabetic nephropathy by a decoy peptide corresponding to the "handle" region for nonproteolytic activation of proreninAtsuhiro Ichihara
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
J Clin Invest 114:1128-35. 2004..Metabolic and renal histological changes and the renin-Ang system components in the plasma and kidneys were determined at 8, 16, and 24 weeks following streptozotocin ..
- Mast cells: a unique source of reninRandi B Silver
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:13607-12. 2004In addition to the traditional renin-angiotensin system, a great deal of evidence favors the existence of numerous independent tissue-specific renin-angiotensin systems...
- Expression of local renin and angiotensinogen mRNA in cirrhotic portal hypertensive patientLi Zhang
Department of General Surgery, Shandong Provincial Hospital, Jinan 250021, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:1584-8. 2003To investigate the expression of local renin and angiotensinogen mRNA in cirrhotic portal hypertensive patients.
- Cyclooxygenase-2 contributes to elevated renin in the early postnatal period in ratsJane Stubbe
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1179-89. 2003We asked whether cyclooxygenase (COX) activity controls the renin-angiotensin system in the postnatal period...
- Intracranial renin alters gustatory neural responses in the nucleus of the solitary tract of ratsR Tamura
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani 2630, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1108-18. 2003Activation of the renin-angiotensin system in the brain is considered important in the arousal and expression of sodium appetite...
- Renin mRNA expression and renal dysfunction in tacrolimus-induced acute nephrotoxicityTatsuya Nakatani
Department of Urology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Int J Mol Med 11:75-8. 2003..The purpose of this study was to elucidate the role of renin-angiotensin system (RAS) in tacrolimus-induced acute nephrotoxicity...
- AT2 Receptor Modulates Renal Angiotensin II LevelsHelmy Siragy; Fiscal Year: 2005The renin-angiotensin system (RAS) is a major physiological regulator of body fluid volume, electrolyte balance, and arterial pressure...
- Angiotensin II Mediates Early Changes in Diabetic KidneyHelmy Siragy; Fiscal Year: 2007..Although past clinical studies have provided convincing evidence that interruption of the renin angiotensin system (RAS) through the use of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors improves the renal ..
- PERINATAL HYPOXIA: ADRENOCORTICAL-METABOLIC ADAPTATIONSHershel Raff; Fiscal Year: 2006..Characterization of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal and metabolic adaptations to perinatal hypoxia can lead to new diagnostic approaches and therapies to minimize morbidity and mortality. ..
- Mechanisms of peripheral vascular anesthetic sensitivityTHOMAS STEKIEL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Additionally, this model also greatly facilitates development of congenic sub strains (partial chromosomal substitutions) for use in subsequent genetic mapping studies. ..
- Physical Activity Dependent Plasticity CNS Sympathetic Nervous System RegulationPatrick Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..