Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Reg1a
Description: regenerating family member 1 alpha
Alias: LITHOST, RATLITHOST, RATRGPI, RGPI, Reg, Reg1, Rgp1, lithostathine, ICRF, PSP, PTP, islet cells regeneration factor, islet of Langerhans regenerating protein, pancreatic stone protein, pancreatic thread protein, regenerating islet-derived 1 alpha, regenerating islet-derived mouse homolog 1, regeneration protein, lithostatin, pancreatic stone protein
- Mutations of RegIalpha are associated with enterochromaffin-like cell tumor development in patients with hypergastrinemiaA D Higham
The Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, England
Gastroenterology 116:1310-8. 1999The RegIalpha gene (Reg) encodes a secretory protein proposed to regulate islet beta-cell and gastric mucous cell growth. Reg is expressed in rat gastric enterochromaffin-like (ECL) cells...
- A novel gene activated in regenerating isletsK Terazono
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Miyagi, Japan
J Biol Chem 263:2111-4. 1988..We also found that a human pancreas-derived cDNA library contained a homologue to the gene...
- Pancreatic reg I binds MKP-1 and regulates cyclin D in pancreatic-derived cellsCathy M Mueller
Department of Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
J Surg Res 150:137-43. 2008The pancreatic regenerating (reg I) gene and its protein product are derived from acinar cells and are mitogenic to beta- and ductal cells. We studied the mechanism of this mitogenic response.
- PAP I interacts with itself, PAP II, PAP III, and lithostathine/regIalphaH Bodeker
Laboratoire de Recherche de Physiologie et Pathologie Digestives, INSERM U 315, Marseille, France
Mol Cell Biol Res Commun 2:150-4. 1999PAP I, PAP II, PAP III, and lithostathine/regIalpha are members of a multigenic family of proteins expressed in several tissues...
- Identification of a receptor for reg (regenerating gene) protein, a pancreatic beta-cell regeneration factorS Kobayashi
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Miyagi, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:10723-6. 2000b>Reg (regenerating gene) was isolated as a gene specifically expressed in regenerating islets (Terazono, K., Yamamoto, H., Takasawa, S., Shiga, K., Yonemura, Y., Tochino, Y., and Okamoto, H. (1988) J. Biol. Chem. 263, 2111-2114)...
- Neutrophil chemoattractant 2 beta regulates expression of the Reg gene in injured gastric mucosa in ratsH Kazumori
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Japan
Gastroenterology 119:1610-22. 2000Regenerating (Reg) protein has a trophic effect on gastric mucosal cells. We have shown that Reg gene expression is increased in enterochromaffin-like (ECL) cells during the healing of damaged gastric mucosa around mucosal erosion...
- Immunoreactive forms of pancreatic stone protein in six mammalian speciesJ P Bernard
Unité de Recherches de Physiologie et Pathologie Digestives, INSERM U 315, Marseille, France
Pancreas 6:162-7. 1991Secretory forms of the pancreatic stone protein (PSP S, Mr 17, 500-22,000) have been purified from human pancreatic juice. PSP S are inhibitors of CaCO3 crystal growth...
- Human REG I gene is up-regulated in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and its precursor lesionsK Harada
Department of Pathology II, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Kanazawa, Japan
Hepatology 33:1036-42. 2001The Reg I gene (regenerating gene) and its product (Reg protein) are a regenerating and/or proliferating factor(s) of pancreatic islet cells...
- Secretory apparatus assessed by analysis of pancreatic secretory stress protein expression in a rat model of chronic pancreatitisSeverin Meili
Pancreatitis Research Laboratory DL 36, Department of Visceral and Transplant Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Cell Tissue Res 312:291-9. 2003..proteins (SSP) are a family of proteins including isoforms of pancreatitis-associated protein (PAP) and pancreatic stone protein (PSP/reg). In vitro exposure to trypsin results in the formation of insoluble fibrillar structures...
- Insights into the mechanisms of gastric adaptation to aspirin-induced injury: a role for regenerating protein but not trefoil peptidesBarbara M Alderman
University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine, Western Hospital, Footscray, Victoria, Australia
Lab Invest 83:1415-25. 2003....
- A family of 16-kDa pancreatic secretory stress proteins form highly organized fibrillar structures upon tryptic activationR Graf
Pancreatitis Research Laboratory, Department of Visceral Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, 8091, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 276:21028-38. 2001..PAP I and PAP III) resulted in conversion of 16-kDa soluble proteins into 14-kDa soluble isoforms (pancreatic thread protein and pancreatitis-associated thread protein, respectively) that rapidly polymerize into insoluble ..
- Involvement of REG Ialpha protein in the regeneration of ductal epithelial cells in the minor salivary glands of patients with Sjögren's syndromeT Kimura
Department of Surgical and Molecular Pathology, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Mibu, Shimotsuga, Tochigi, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 155:16-20. 2009The regenerating gene (Reg) was originally isolated from regenerating rat pancreatic islets and revealed recently to constitute a multi-gene family in humans...
- Administration of anti-Reg I and anti-PAPII antibodies worsens pancreatitisDomenico Viterbo
Department of Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
JOP 10:15-23. 2009The regeneration protein family (Reg), which includes Reg I and PAPII, is expressed in pancreas acinar cells, and increases in acute pancreatitis...
- Bifidobacterium longum supplementation improved high-fat-fed-induced metabolic syndrome and promoted intestinal Reg I gene expressionJin Jin Chen
Children Health Care Center, Shanghai Children s Hospital Shanghai Jiaotong University, No 24 Ln 1400 West Beijing Road, Shanghai, China
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 236:823-31. 2011..The expression of intestinal REG (regenerating) family proteins which are widely involved in inflammatory bowel disease and diabetes are still ..
- Prevention of Reg I-induced β-cell apoptosis by IL-6/dexamethasone through activation of HGF gene regulationKei Nakagawa
Department of Advanced Biological Sciences for Regeneration Kotobiken Medical Laboratories, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8575, Miyagi, Japan Department of Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8575, Miyagi, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1833:2988-95. 2013b>Reg (regenerating gene) product, Reg protein, is induced in pancreatic β-cells and acts as autocrine/paracrine growth factor for regeneration via the cell surface Reg receptor...
- Pancreatic β cell proliferation by intermittent hypoxia via up-regulation of Reg family genes and HGF geneHiroyo Ota
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University, Kashihara 634 8521, Nara, Japan
Life Sci 93:664-72. 2013..Although accumulating evidence suggests the associations between sleep apnea syndrome (SAS) and type 2 diabetes, the direct effect of intermittent hypoxia (IH) on pancreatic β cell proliferation remains a missing piece of the puzzle...
- Microarray analysis of rat pancreas reveals altered expression of Alox15 and regenerating islet-derived genes in response to iron deficiency and overloadRichard Coffey
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e86019. 2014..In iron-overloaded pancreas, the most upregulated transcripts were Reg1a, Reg3a, and Reg3b belonging to the regenerating islet-derived gene (Reg) family...
- Regenerating gene protein may mediate gastric mucosal proliferation induced by hypergastrinemia in ratsH Fukui
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Gastroenterology 115:1483-93. 1998Regenerating gene (Reg) has been isolated from rat regenerating pancreatic islets, and Reg protein is mitogenic to islet cells...
- Effect of reg protein on rat pancreatic ductal cellsM E Zenilman
Department of Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Pancreas 17:256-61. 1998The pancreatic regenerating gene (reg I) is expressed in the exocrine pancreas and is involved in islet regeneration. Reg I protein has been shown to be mitogenic to beta- and ductal cell lines, but not mature islets...
- Amelioration of diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice with advanced disease by linomide-induced immunoregulation combined with Reg protein treatmentD J Gross
Department of Endocrinology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Endocrinology 139:2369-74. 1998..b>Reg protein, the gene product of a complementary DNA isolated from a regenerating rat islet library, has been ..
- Reg gene expression is increased in rat gastric enterochromaffin-like cells following water immersion stressM Asahara
Division of Gerontology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Gastroenterology 111:45-55. 1996b>Reg gene has been isolated from regenerating rat pancreatic islets, and subsequent studies have shown a trophic effect of Reg protein on islet cells. However, little is known about the role of Reg protein in the stomach...
- Increased expression of a regenerating (reg) gene protein in neonatal rat pancreas treated with streptozotocinT Ohno
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Japan
Endocr J 42:649-53. 1995We examined the expression of reg protein in neonatal rat pancreas treated with streptozotocin (STZ) by means of the immunohistochemical technique and northern blotting...
- Pancreatic beta-cell replication and amelioration of surgical diabetes by Reg proteinT Watanabe
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:3589-92. 1994We previously isolated from a rat regenerating islet cDNA library a gene named Reg, which is expressed in regenerating islets but is not expressed in normal islets...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of human reg gene and its expression in normal and tumoral tissues. The reg protein, pancreatic stone protein, and pancreatic thread protein are one and the same product of the geneT Watanabe
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Miyagi, Japan
J Biol Chem 265:7432-9. 1990..1989) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 994, 281-284) and the partially determined 45-amino acid sequence of pancreatic thread protein (Gross, J., Carlson, R. I., Brauer, A. W., Margolies, M. N., Warshaw, A. L., and Wands, J. R. (1985) J...
- Enhanced expression of an exocrine pancreatic protein in Alzheimer's disease and the developing human brainS M de la Monte
Molecular Hepatology Laboratory, Massachusetts Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Charlestown 02114
J Clin Invest 86:1004-13. 1990b>Pancreatic thread protein (PTP) is a major exocrine secretory protein that in vitro forms filamentous bundles reminiscent of the paired helical filaments of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- The human pancreatic stone proteinA De caro
Unité de Recherches de Pathologie Digestive, INSERM U31, Marseille, France
Biochimie 70:1209-14. 1988..of stones, to which is associated an organic matrix consisting primarily of one protein of Mr 14,000, the pancreatic stone protein or PSP...
- Age-related changes in peptide-23/pancreatitis-associated protein and pancreatic stone protein/reg gene expression in the rat and regulation by growth hormone-releasing hormoneC Chakraborty
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Endocrinology 136:1843-9. 1995..We examined the expression of peptide-23/PAP and a structurally related protein, pancreatic stone protein (PSP/reg), in the rat gastrointestinal tract...
- The role of proteasome beta subunits in gastrin-mediated transcription of plasminogen activator inhibitor-2 and regenerating protein1Adrian O'Hara
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e59913. 2013..by regulating expression of genes such as plasminogen activator inhibitor 2 (PAI-2) and regenerating protein 1 (Reg1)...
- Intestinal adaptation and Reg gene expression induced by antidiabetic duodenal-jejunal bypass surgery in Zucker fatty ratsBing Li
Fraser Laboratories for Diabetes Research, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 304:G635-45. 2013..With the use of immunohistochemistry, Reg1, -3α, and -3β were normally expressed in intestinal mucosa...
- Regenerating islet-derived 1α (Reg-1α) protein is new neuronal secreted factor that stimulates neurite outgrowth via exostosin Tumor-like 3 (EXTL3) receptorIsabelle Acquatella-Tran Van Ba
University Montpellier 2, F 34095 Montpellier, France, INSERM, U710, F 34095 Montpellier, France
J Biol Chem 287:4726-39. 2012Regenerating islet-derived 1α (Reg-1α)/lithostathine, a member of a family of secreted proteins containing a C-type lectin domain, is expressed in various organs and plays a role in proliferation, differentiation, inflammation, and ..
- Rat pancreatic stone protein messenger RNA. Abundant expression in mature exocrine cells, regulation by food content, and sequence identity with the endocrine reg transcriptS Rouquier
Unité 315 de l Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Marseille, France
J Biol Chem 266:786-91. 1991We used a cDNA encoding the human pancreatic stone protein (PSP-S), the secretory inhibitor of CaCO3 crystal growth, as a probe for cloning rat PSP-S messenger RNA...
- The Reg gene family and Reg proteins: with special attention to the regeneration of pancreatic beta-cellsH Okamoto
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 6:254-62. 1999..In screening the regenerating islet-derived cDNA library, we found a novel gene and named it Reg (i.e., regenerating gene)...
- Pancreatic regenerating gene I and acinar cell differentiation: influence on cellular lineageDidier Sanchez
Department of Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Pancreas 38:572-7. 2009Pancreatic regenerating gene I (reg I) has been implicated in cellular differentiation...
- Expression and localization of regenerating gene I in a rat liver regeneration modelJingshu Wang
Department of Biochemistry, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 380:472-7. 2009Regenerating gene (Reg) I has been identified as a regenerative/proliferative factor for pancreatic islet cells...
- Rapid PCR cloning and sequence determination of the rat lithostathine geneN J Dusetti
U 315 INSERM, Marseille, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1174:99-102. 1993The rat lithostathine gene was isolated from a genomic library using a rapid screening procedure involving PCR amplification. It was characterized over 2.7 kbp of gene sequence and 2.43 kbp of 5'-flanking sequence...
- Pancreatic regenerating protein I in chronic pancreatitis and aging: implications for new therapeutic approaches to diabetesMartin Bluth
Department of Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11202, USA
Pancreas 37:386-95. 2008We investigated the relationship of pancreatic regenerating protein (reg) in models of acinar cell atrophy and aging, and the effect of reg I protein replacement on glucose tolerance.
- Characterization of the 5'-regulatory region of rat Reg I geneH Miyashita
Department of Biochemistry, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Miyagi, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1219:241-3. 1994We report here the characterization of the 5'-regulatory region of rat Reg I gene encoding a growth stimulating factor for pancreatic beta-cells...
- Pancreatic regenerating protein (reg I) and reg I receptor mRNA are upregulated in rat pancreas after induction of acute pancreatitisMartin H Bluth
Department of Surgery, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
World J Gastroenterol 12:4511-6. 2006Pancreatic regenerating protein (reg I) stimulates pancreatic regeneration after pancreatectomy and is mitogenic to ductal and beta-cells. This suggests that reg I and its receptor may play a role in recovery after pancreatic injury...
- Activation of regenerating gene Reg in rat and human hearts in response to acute stressTatsuya Kiji
Dept of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Nara Medical Univ School of Medicine, 840 Shijo Cho, Kashihara, Nara 634 8522, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H277-84. 2005Recently, the regenerating gene (Reg) has been documented to play an important role in various regenerating tissues, but it is unknown whether the Reg gene could be activated in the heart...
- Coordinate regulation of PSP/reg and PAP isoforms as a family of secretory stress proteins in an animal model of chronic pancreatitisDaniel Bimmler
Pancreatitis Research Laboratory, Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Surg Res 118:122-35. 2004PSP/reg and PAP are secretory stress proteins (SSP) and may be part of a protective mechanism. They share structural homologies and form insoluble fibrils after tryptic activation...
- Reg protein is overexpressed in gastric cancer cells, where it activates a signal transduction pathway that converges on ERK1/2 to stimulate growthYasunori Kadowaki
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Shimane Medical University, Izumo 693 8501, Japan
FEBS Lett 530:59-64. 2002b>Reg is a growth factor with mitogenic effects on pancreatic beta cells and gastric stem cells. To date, there has been no information available on Reg-mediated intracellular signal transduction pathways...