Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pygl
Description: glycogen phosphorylase L
Alias: glycogen phosphorylase, liver form, liver glycogen phosphorylase, phosphorylase, glycogen, liver
- Proteomic investigation of signatures for geniposide-induced hepatotoxicityJunying Wei
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
J Proteome Res 13:5724-33. 2014..Two biomarkers, glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) and glycogen phosphorylase (PYGL), were found to indicate hepatic injuries significantly earlier than the current gold standard liver biomarker...
- Electron microscopical study of a cytosolic enzyme in unfixed cryostat sections: demonstration of glycogen phosphorylase activity in rat liver and heart tissueJ P Schellens
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Histochem J 27:609-14. 1995....
- Inhibition of the interaction between protein phosphatase 1 glycogen-targeting subunit and glycogen phosphorylase increases glycogen synthesis in primary rat hepatocytesDarya Zibrova
Department of Metabolic Diseases Research, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Birkendorfer Strasse 65, D 88397 Biberach an der Riss, Germany
Biochem J 412:359-66. 2008....
- Glutathione-dependent reduction of arsenate by glycogen phosphorylase responsiveness to endogenous and xenobiotic inhibitorsZoltan Gregus
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Toxicology Section, University of Pecs, Medical School, Szigeti ut 12, H 7624 Pecs, Hungary
Toxicol Sci 100:44-53. 2007..It was also shown that a GPa-rich extract of rat liver contained GSH-dependent As(V)-reducing activity that was inhibited by specific GPIs, suggesting that the liver-type GPa can also catalyze reduction of As(V)...
- Development of potent, orally active 1-substituted-3,4-dihydro-2-quinolone glycogen phosphorylase inhibitorsAlan M Birch
AstraZeneca, Mereside, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 4TG, UK
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:394-9. 2007..X-ray crystallographic data are presented, showing an unexpected variety of binding orientations at the dimer interface site...
- Response of glucose metabolism enzymes in an acute porphyria model. Role of reactive oxygen speciesSandra M Lelli
Salud Humana y Medio Ambiente DIMXSA, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Toxicology 216:49-58. 2005....
- Modulation of glycogen phosphorylase activity affects 5-phosphoribosyl-1-pyrophosphate availability in rat hepatocyte culturesPnina Boer
Felsenstein Medical Research Institute, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 23:1235-9. 2004....
- Regulation of rat hepatocyte function by P2Y receptors: focus on control of glycogen phosphorylase and cyclic AMP by 2-methylthioadenosine 5'-diphosphateC Jane Dixon
The Cell Signaling Laboratory, Leicester School of Pharmacy, The Hawthorn Building, De Montfort University, Leicester LE1 9BH, United Kingdom
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 311:334-41. 2004....
- Defect in glucokinase translocation in Zucker diabetic fatty ratsYuka Fujimoto
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 0615, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E414-23. 2004..The unresponsiveness of hepatic glucose flux to the rise in plasma glucose and insulin seen in prediabetic ZDF rats was associated with impaired GK translocation...
- Inactivation of phosphorylase is a major component of the mechanism by which insulin stimulates hepatic glycogen synthesisSusan Aiston
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, The Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Biochem 270:2773-81. 2003..Selective inactivation of phosphorylase can mimic insulin stimulation of hepatic glycogen synthesis...
- Glucose 6-phosphate produced by gluconeogenesis and by glucokinase is equally effective in activating hepatic glycogen synthaseRoger R Gomis
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular and the Institut de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona Parc Cientific de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona E 08028, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:9740-6. 2003..We hypothesize that Glc-6-P has a major role in glycogen metabolism not only by determining the activation state of GS but also by controlling its subcellular distribution in the hepatocyte...
- Evidence against glycogen cycling of gluconeogenic substrates in various liver preparationsKeld Fosgerau
Pharmacological Research 2, MedChem Research, Hepatic Biochemistry, Discovery Management, Novo Nordisk A S, Novo Nordisk Park, DK 2760 Maaloev, Denmark
J Biol Chem 277:28648-55. 2002..Taken together, these data also suggest that inhibition of glycogen phosphorylase may prove beneficial in the treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Structural relationships among regulated and unregulated phosphorylasesJ L Buchbinder
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 30:191-209. 2001..Phosphorylation, though common to both the yeast and mammalian enzymes, occurs at different sites and activates the enzymes by surprisingly different mechanisms...
- Identification of a mutation in liver glycogen phosphorylase in glycogen storage disease type VIS Chang
Laboratory of Genetic Disease Research and Medical Genetics Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 7:865-70. 1998..Linkage analysis was performed using genetic markers flanking the liver glycogen phosphorylase gene ( PYGL ), which was suspected to be the cause of the disorder on biochemical grounds...
- Characterization of the 5' flanking region of the gene encoding rat liver glycogen phosphorylaseK R Herrick
Department of Neurology, University of California, Davis 95616 8647
Gene 126:203-11. 1993..region encompassing 800 bp of the promoter-regulatory region and exon 1 of the gene (LGP) encoding rat liver glycogen phosphorylase has been isolated and characterized...
- Glycogen-binding protein components of rat tissuesK Satoh
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 96:28-33. 1980
- Studies on the expression and evolution of the glycogen phosphorylase gene family in the ratM M Crerar
Department of Biology, York University, North York, Ont, Canada
Genome 30:582-90. 1988..Differences in the relative rates of change of the three isozymes were observed and this may reflect different constraints on their evolution perhaps related to their functional roles and (or) tissue-specific expression...
- Rapid activation of glycogen phosphorylase by steroid hormones in cultured rat hepatocytesA Gomez-Munoz
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Biochem J 262:417-23. 1989..These results may explain some of the pharmacological effects of sex steroids, and also might contribute to the physiological actions of glucocorticoids...
- Localization of the muscle, liver, and brain glycogen phosphorylase genes on linkage maps of mouse chromosomes 19, 12, and 2, respectivelyT Glaser
Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139
Genomics 5:510-21. 1989..The genes encoding muscle, liver, and brain phosphorylases (Pygm, Pygl, and Pygb) are assigned to mouse chromosomes 19, 12, and 2, respectively...
- Isolation of partial cDNAs for rat liver and muscle glycogen phosphorylase isozymesS Osawa
FEBS Lett 202:282-8. 1986..Rather, the phosphorylase isozymes probably evolved for tissue-specific transcriptional regulation of the genes in liver and muscle...
- The gene encoding rat liver glycogen phosphorylase contains multiple polyadenylation signal sequencesB E Froman
Department of Neurology, University of California, Davis 95616
Gene 109:269-74. 1991..Polyadenylation site selection does not appear to be regulated in a tissue-specific fashion. The relative steady-state L-GP mRNA levels in the different types of adipose tissues were comparable to, or exceeded transcript levels in liver...
- Glucose has to be phosphorylated to activate glycogen synthase, but not to inactivate glycogen phosphorylase in hepatocytesA Carabaza
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
FEBS Lett 296:211-4. 1992....
- Glycogen phosphorylase isoenzymes from hepatoma 3924A and from a non-tumorigenic liver cell line. Comparison with the liver and brain enzymesD Mayer
Abteilung Cytopathologie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Federal Republic of Germany
Biochem J 282:665-73. 1992....
- Glycogen phosphorylase: control by phosphorylation and allosteric effectorsL N Johnson
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, University of Oxford, England
FASEB J 6:2274-82. 1992..The allosteric mechanism of activation of phosphorylase by phosphorylation may be relevant to other enzymes although it is now known that other mechanisms such as electrostatic steric blocking mechanisms also exist...
- The nucleotide sequence of rat liver glycogen phosphorylase cDNAK Schiebel
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Abteilung Cytopathologie, Heidelberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1130:349-51. 1992The nucleotide sequence of a cDNA coding for rat liver glycogen phosphorylase has been determined...