Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pitx3
Description: paired-like homeodomain 3
Alias: pituitary homeobox 3, homeobox protein PITX3, homeobox protein PTX3, paired-like homeodomain transcription factor 3
- A novel homeobox gene PITX3 is mutated in families with autosomal-dominant cataracts and ASMDE V Semina
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242 1083, USA
Nat Genet 19:167-70. 1998We report here the identification of a new human homeobox gene, PITX3, and its involvement in anterior segment mesenchymal dysgenesis (ASMD) and congenital cataracts in humans...
- A response element for the homeodomain transcription factor Ptx3 in the tyrosine hydroxylase gene promoterP Cazorla
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neurosciences, Medical Faculty, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
J Neurochem 74:1829-37. 2000..This suggests that Ptx3 contributes to the regulation of TH expression in mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons...
- A double-deletion mutation in the Pitx3 gene causes arrested lens development in aphakia miceD K Rieger
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts, 02115, USA
Genomics 72:61-72. 2001..The Pitx3 gene, known to be expressed in lens primordia, shows zero recombination with the ak mutation on our ..
- Posterior polar cataract is the predominant consequence of a recurrent mutation in the PITX3 geneP K F Addison
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 89:138-41. 2005The authors recently identified three large genetically unrelated families with an identical 17 base pair duplication mutation in exon 4 of the PITX3 gene. Here, they report the detailed clinical phenotype.
- Effects on differentiation of embryonic ventral midbrain progenitors by Lmx1a, Msx1, Ngn2, and Pitx3Laurent Roybon
Neuronal Survival Unit, Department of Experimental Medical Science, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Neurosci 28:3644-56. 2008..Lmx1a (LIM homeobox transcription factor 1, alpha), Msx1 (msh homeobox homolog 1), Ngn2 (neurogenin 2), or Pitx3 (paired-like homeodomain transcription factor 3) in neurospheres derived from embryonic day 14...
- Expression of truncated PITX3 in the developing lens leads to microphthalmia and aphakia in miceKenta Wada
Department of Bioproduction, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Abashiri, Japan Mammalian Genetics Project, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 9:e111432. 2014..the genomic region that encodes the homeodomain of the paired-like homeodomain transcription factor 3 gene (Pitx3) as the mutation responsible for the microphthalmia and aphakia...
- Morphine administration modulates expression of Argonaute 2 and dopamine-related transcription factors involved in midbrain dopaminergic neurons functionD García-Pérez
Group of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 168:1889-901. 2013..in transcription factors that regulate the development and maintenance of dopamine (DA) neurons (such as Nurr1 and Pitx3) play an important role in the pathogenesis of addiction diseases...
- Signaling of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and its receptor GFRα1 induce Nurr1 and Pitx3 to promote survival of grafted midbrain-derived neural stem cells in a rat model of Parkinson diseaseZhinian Lei
Department of Human Anatomy and Histoembryology, Medical School, Southeast University, Nanjing, PR China
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 70:736-47. 2011..were used totest the expression of the orphan nuclear receptor Nurr1 and thetranscription factor Pitx3 and newborn tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)-positive cells...
- Chronic methamphetamine administration causes differential regulation of transcription factors in the rat midbrainIrina N Krasnova
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Research Branch, DHHS NIH NIDA Intramural Research Program, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19179. 2011..in the expression of the dopamine developmental factors, Shh, Lmx1b, and Nurr1, but not in the levels of Otx2 and Pitx3, in saline-pretreated rats...
- Ontogenetic expression of dopamine-related transcription factors and tyrosine hydroxylase in prenatally stressed ratsMaria R Katunar
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, C1113AAD, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neurotox Res 18:69-81. 2010..Employing an immunocytochemical approach, we studied the expression levels of two transcription factors Nurr1 and Pitx3 which are expressed at critical moments of DA neurons differentiation as well as the expression of the rate ..
- Anterior segment mesenchymal dysgenesis in a large Australian family is associated with the recurrent 17 bp duplication in PITX3Kim M Summers
Roslin Institute, University of Edinburgh, Roslin, Midlothian, UK
Mol Vis 14:2010-5. 2008A recurrent 17 bp duplication (c.657ins17bp) of a segment of the paired-like homeodomain transcription factor 3 (PITX3) gene on human chromosome 10 has been reported in seven families with autosomal dominant posterior polar cataracts ..
- Impaired learning and memory in Pitx3 deficient aphakia mice: a genetic model for striatum-dependent cognitive symptoms in Parkinson's diseasePaul Ardayfio
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, MRC 215, 115 Mill Street, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Neurobiol Dis 31:406-12. 2008..Aphakia mice, which are deficient in the transcription factor Pitx3, model the selective nigrostriatal DA loss in PD...
- Chronic cocaine administration modulates the expression of transcription factors involved in midbrain dopaminergic neuron functionD Leo
Institute of Genetics and Biophysics A Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Via Pietro Castellino, 111, 80131 Naples, Italy
Exp Neurol 203:472-80. 2007..We show that chronic, but not acute or subchronic, cocaine administration downregulates Nurr1 and Pitx3 transcripts whereas En1 transcripts are upregulated...
- Heterozygous and homozygous mutations in PITX3 in a large Lebanese family with posterior polar cataracts and neurodevelopmental abnormalitiesCarla Bidinost
Health Research and Education Center, Washington State University Spokane, Spokane, Washington, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:1274-80. 2006The PITX3 gene, which codes for a homeobox bicoidlike transcription factor is responsible for dominant cataract and anterior segment mesenchymal dysgenesis in humans...
- Immunocytochemical expression of dopamine-related transcription factors Pitx3 and Nurr1 in prenatally stressed adult ratsMaria R Katunar
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Neurosci Res 87:1014-22. 2009..Recently, two transcription factors, Nurr1 and Pitx3, have been identified that are expressed at critical moments of DA neuron differentiation...
- Pitx3-transfected astrocytes secrete brain-derived neurotrophic factor and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and protect dopamine neurons in mesencephalon culturesDehua Yang
Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
J Neurosci Res 86:3393-400. 2008The transcription factor Pitx3 is crucial for the development and differentiation of dopamine (DA) neurons...
- FoxP1 promotes midbrain identity in embryonic stem cell-derived dopamine neurons by regulating Pitx3Constantine James Konstantoulas
MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
J Neurochem 113:836-47. 2010..Enforced expression of FoxP1 in embryonic stem cells actuates the expression of Pitx3, a homeobox protein that is exclusively expressed in midbrain dopaminergic neurons and is required for their ..
- Differential expression of the homeobox gene Pitx3 in midbrain dopaminergic neuronsTatiana M Korotkova
Institute of Neurophysiology, Heinrich Heine University, Physiology II, POB 101007, Duesseldorf, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 22:1287-93. 2005The transcription factor Pitx3 is expressed selectively in the midbrain and regulates the differentiation and survival of dopaminergic neurons. Lack of this factor results in a degeneration similar to that seen in Parkinson's disease...
- A homeodomain gene Ptx3 has highly restricted brain expression in mesencephalic dopaminergic neuronsM P Smidt
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neurosciences, Department of Medical Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:13305-10. 1997..Thus, Ptx3 is a unique transcription factor marking the mesDA neurons at the exclusion of other dopaminergic neurons, and it may be involved in developmental determination of this neuronal lineage...