Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: P2rx7
Description: purinergic receptor P2X 7
Alias: P2X purinoceptor 7, ATP receptor, P2X7 purinoceptor, P2Z receptor, purinergic receptor P2X, ligand-gated ion channel, 7, purinergic receptor P2X7
Publications116 found, 100 shown here
- The P2X7 receptor drives microglial activation and proliferation: a trophic role for P2X7R poreMastura Monif
Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Neurosci 29:3781-91. 2009..Collectively, and contrary to previous reports describing P2X(7)R as a "death receptor," we provide evidence for a novel trophic role for P2X(7)R pore in microglia...
- The cytolytic P2Z receptor for extracellular ATP identified as a P2X receptor (P2X7)A Surprenant
Glaxo Institute for Molecular Biology, Geneva, Switzerland
Science 272:735-8. 1996The P2Z receptor is responsible for adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-dependent lysis of macrophages through the formation of membrane pores permeable to large molecules...
- P2X7 mediates superoxide production in primary microglia and is up-regulated in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseLav K Parvathenani
Neuroscience Drug Discovery, Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Bristol Myers Squibb Co, Wallingford, Connecticut 06492, USA
J Biol Chem 278:13309-17. 2003..Consistent with this hypothesis, P2X(7) receptor was specifically up-regulated around beta-amyloid plaques in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease (Tg2576)...
- Production and release of neuroprotective tumor necrosis factor by P2X7 receptor-activated microgliaTomohisa Suzuki
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
J Neurosci 24:1-7. 2004..Finally, our data suggest that P2X7 receptor-activated microglia protect neurons against glutamate toxicity primarily because they are able to release TNF...
- Identification of two novel markers for alveolar epithelial type I and II cellsZhongming Chen
Department of Physiological Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 319:774-80. 2004..P2X7 and GABRP identified in this study could be used as potential AEC I and AEC II markers for studying lung epithelial cell biology and monitoring lung injury...
- Reanalysis of P2X7 receptor expression in rodent brainJoan A Sim
Institute of Molecular Physiology, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 24:6307-14. 2004..Either the P2X7 protein in the hippocampus is below the limits of detection by the currently available methods or it is not present...
- P2X7 receptor expression after ischemia in the cerebral cortex of ratsHeike Franke
Rudolf Boehm Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 63:686-99. 2004..In conclusion, the present data demonstrate a postischemic, time-dependent upregulation of the P2X7 receptor-subtype on neurons and glial cells and suggest a role for this receptor in the pathophysiology of cerebral ischemia in vivo...
- Presence of diverse functional P2X receptors in rat cerebellar synaptic terminalsCristina Hervás
Department of Biochemistry, Veterinary Faculty, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avda Puerta de Hierro s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 70:770-85. 2005..This study reports the presence of functional P2X3 and P2X7 receptors at synaptic sites, which provides complexity and regulatory possibilities to the cerebellar neurotransmission...
- P2X7 receptor immunoreactive profile confined to resting and activated microglia in the epileptic brainP M Rappold
Department of Neurosurgery, Box 670, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Brain Res 1089:171-8. 2006..In addition, the morphological changes in microglia following seizure induction that can be identified with P2X7 antisera or with antisera specific for microglia suggest a neuroinflammatory milieu in areas of CNS seizure activity...
- Pannexin-1 mediates large pore formation and interleukin-1beta release by the ATP-gated P2X7 receptorPablo Pelegrin
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
EMBO J 25:5071-82. 2006....
- P2X7 nucleotide receptors mediate blebbing in osteoblasts through a pathway involving lysophosphatidic acidNattapon Panupinthu
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Skeletal Development and Remodeling, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:3403-12. 2007..This pathway may contribute to P2X7-stimulated osteogenesis during skeletal development and mechanotransduction...
- Activation of P2X7 receptors in glial satellite cells reduces pain through downregulation of P2X3 receptors in nociceptive neuronsYong Chen
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1069, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16773-8. 2008..Thus, direct blocking P2X7Rs, as proposed before, may not be the best strategy for reducing pain or lessening neuronal degeneration because it also disrupts the protective function of P2X7Rs...
- A functional P2X7 splice variant with an alternative transmembrane domain 1 escapes gene inactivation in P2X7 knock-out miceAnnette Nicke
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute MPI for Brain Research, Deutschordenstrasse 46, Frankfurt 60528, Germany
J Biol Chem 284:25813-22. 2009..an alternative intracellular N terminus and first transmembrane domain encoded by a novel exon 1 in the rodent P2rx7 gene...
- PKC-dependent ERK phosphorylation is essential for P2X7 receptor-mediated neuronal differentiation of neural progenitor cellsH K Tsao
Institute of Neuroscience and Brain Research Center, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cell Death Dis 4:e751. 2013..Taken together, the activation of P2X7R in NPCs induced neuronal differentiation through a PKC-ERK1/2 signaling pathway. ..
- Discovery and biological evaluation of novel cyanoguanidine P2X(7) antagonists with analgesic activity in a rat model of neuropathic painArturo Perez-Medrano
Abbott Laboratories, Neuroscience Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064 6101, USA
J Med Chem 52:3366-76. 2009..These results suggest an important role of P2X(7) receptors in neuropathic pain and therefore a potential use of P2X(7) antagonists as novel therapeutic tools for the treatment of this type of pain...
- Identification of an intracellular microdomain of the P2X7 receptor that is crucial in basolateral membrane targeting in epithelial cellsH J Bradley
Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
FEBS Lett 584:4740-4. 2010..Our results show basolateral membrane targeting of the P2X(7)R in epithelial cells and that the intracellular C-terminal microdomain P582-Q587 is crucial in this process...
- ERK pathway mediates P2X7 expression and cell death in renal interstitial fibroblasts exposed to necrotic renal epithelial cellsMurugavel Ponnusamy
Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F650-9. 2011..Taken together, these data reveal that necrotic RPTC induces P2X7 expression in renal fibroblasts through activation of the MEK1-ERK1/2-Elk1 signaling pathway...
- ATP-induced currents carried through P2X7 receptor in rat myometrial cellsHiroshi Miyoshi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Higashihiroshima Medical Center, Higashihiroshima, Japan
Reprod Sci 19:1285-91. 2012..We previously reported the ATP-induced ionic currents in rat myometrial cells, causing uterine contractility. The aim of this study is to determine the main P2X receptors that carry the adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-induced currents...
- P2X7R suppression promotes glioma growth through epidermal growth factor receptor signal pathwayJingqin Fang
Department of Radiology, Institute of Surgery Research, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 45:1109-20. 2013..These findings provide important clues to the molecular basis of anticancer effect of targeting purinergic receptors...
- The effect of P2X7 receptor activation on nuclear factor-κB phosphorylation induced by status epilepticus in the rat hippocampusJi Eun Kim
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon, Kangwon Do, South Korea
Hippocampus 23:500-14. 2013..These findings indicate that P2X7 functions may be involved in the regulation of SE-induced reactive astrocytes and neuronal degeneration via NF-κB phosphorylations in response to pilocarpine-induced SE in the rat hippocampus...
- P2X7 receptor-induced death of motor neurons by a peroxynitrite/FAS-dependent pathwayMandi Gandelman
Neurodegeneration Laboratory, Institut Pasteur, Montevideo, Uruguay
J Neurochem 126:382-8. 2013..Taken together, our results indicate that motor neurons are highly sensitive to P2X7 activation, which triggers apoptosis by activation of the well-established peroxynitrite/FAS death pathway in motor neurons. ..
- Block of P2X7 receptors could partly reverse the delayed neuronal death in area CA1 of the hippocampus after transient global cerebral ischemiaQiang Yu
Department of Neurobiology, MOE Key Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Ministry of Education, Neuroscience Research Centre of Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, People s Republic of China
Purinergic Signal 9:663-75. 2013....
- P2X7 receptors in neurohypophysial terminals: evidence for their role in arginine-vasopressin secretionAdolfo E Cuadra
Department of Microbiology and Physiological Systems, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts
J Cell Physiol 229:333-42. 2014..Taken together, our data lead us to conclude that the P2X7R is expressed in NH terminals and corroborates its role in AVP secretion...
- P2X7 purinoceptors contribute to the death of Schwann cells transplanted into the spinal cordJ Luo
1 Centre for Neuroscience and Trauma, Blizard Institute, Queen Mary University of London, London E1 2AT, UK 2 Department of Physiology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Cell Death Dis 4:e829. 2013..As many other types of cells, including neural stem cells, also express P2X7R, deactivating P2X7R may improve the survival of other types of transplanted cells...
- Role of P2X purinoceptor 7 in neurogenic pulmonary edema after subarachnoid hemorrhage in ratsSheng Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, China Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e89042. 2014..The present study aimed to test the therapeutic potential of brilliant blue G (BBG), a selective P2X purinoceptor 7 (P2X7R) antagonist, on NPE in a rat SAH model.
- The role of P2X7 receptor in PC12 cells after exposure to oxygen-glucose deprivationBo Fan
Department of Physiology, Medical School of Nanchang University, Nanchang 330006, PR China
Auton Neurosci 185:36-42. 2014..The [Ca(2+)]i peak induced by ATP or BzATP in OGD group was decreased by ERK inhibitor U0126. Therefore, P2X7 antagonists or P2X7 siRNA could depress the sympathetic neuronal damage induced by ischemia. ..
- Astrocyte-neuron interaction in the substantia gelatinosa of the spinal cord dorsal horn via P2X7 receptor-mediated release of glutamate and reactive oxygen speciesChristoph Ficker
Rudolf Boehm Institute for Pharmacology und Toxicology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Glia 62:1671-86. 2014..P2X7 receptors have a very low density under resting conditions but become functionally upregulated under pathological conditions...
- Wnt3a mitigates acute lung injury by reducing P2X7 receptor-mediated alveolar epithelial type I cell deathY Guo
Department of Physiological Sciences, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Lundberg Kienlen Lung Biology and Toxicology Laboratorym, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Cell Death Dis 5:e1286. 2014..Our results suggest that Wnt3a overrides the effect of P2X7R on the Wnt/β-catenin signaling to prevent the AEC I death and restrict the severity of ALI. ..
- Chronic stress induces prolonged suppression of the P2X7 receptor within multiple regions of the hippocampus: a cumulative threshold spectra analysisRatchaniporn Kongsui
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia Centre for Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health Research, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia Hunter Medical Research Institute, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Brain Behav Immun 42:69-80. 2014..Collectively, these findings provide the first evidence that exposure to chronic restraint stress produces a pronounced and relatively persistent suppression of the P2X7 receptor within the hippocampus. ..
- Involvement of the P2X7 purinergic receptor in colonic motor dysfunction associated with bowel inflammation in ratsLuca Antonioli
Division of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e116253. 2014..However, the participation of this receptor in the regulation of enteric neuromuscular functions remains undetermined. This study was aimed at investigating the role of P2X7Rs in the control of colonic motility in experimental colitis...
- Targeting P(2)X(7) receptor for the treatment of central post-stroke pain in a rodent modelYung Hui Kuan
Division of Neuroscience, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan, ROC
Neurobiol Dis 78:134-45. 2015..P(2)X(7)receptors may serve as a potential target to prevent the occurrence of CPSP and may be beneficial for the recovery of patients from stroke...
- A novel cognitive impairment mechanism that astrocytic p-connexin 43 promotes neuronic autophagy via activation of P2X7R and down-regulation of GLT-1 expression in the hippocampus following traumatic brain injury in ratsLiqian Sun
Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Beijing Neurosurgical Institute and Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100050, China
Behav Brain Res 291:315-24. 2015..Therefore, control of this communication may be serve as therapeutic strategies for intervention against TBI. ..
- Inhibition of the purinergic P2X7 receptor improves renal perfusion in angiotensin-II-infused ratsRobert I Menzies
University British Heart Foundation Centre for Cardiovascular Science, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Kidney Int 88:1079-87. 2015..Here we studied whether p2rx7, encoding the P2X7 receptor (P2X7R), is a candidate gene for the differential susceptibility to vascular ..
- Role of P2 × 7 receptor in the differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells into osteoblasts and adipocytesWenkai Li
Department of Orthopedics, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Jiefang Avenue 1095, Wuhan 430030, China
Exp Cell Res 339:367-79. 2015..These data suggest that BzATP activates the differentiation of BMSCs into osteoblasts but not adipocytes by stimulating ERK1/2 and JNK signaling pathways in a P2 × 7R-dependent way...
- Activated Müller Cells Involved in ATP-Induced Upregulation of P2X7 Receptor Expression and Retinal Ganglion Cell DeathYing Xue
Department of Ophthalmology, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong 226001, China
Biomed Res Int 2016:9020715. 2016..All these results suggest that activated Müller cells may release ATP and, in turn, induce upregulation of P2X7R expression in the cells of GCL, thus contributing to RGC death...
- Targeted P2X7 R shRNA Delivery Attenuates Sympathetic Nerve Sprouting and Ameliorates Cardiac Dysfunction in Rats with Myocardial InfarctionHongmei Gao
Department of Cardiology, Shandong Provincial Qianfoshan Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
Cardiovasc Ther . 2016..Although P2X7 R is a key immune mediator, its role has yet to be explored...
- P2X7 receptor regulates leukocyte infiltrations in rat frontoparietal cortex following status epilepticusJi Eun Kim
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Institute of Epilepsy Research, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, South Korea
J Neuroinflammation 7:65. 2010..In the present study, we investigated the roles of P2X7 receptor in recruitment and infiltration of neutrophil during epileptogenesis in rat epilepsy models...
- The pannexin 1 channel activates the inflammasome in neurons and astrocytesWilliam R Silverman
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Biol Chem 284:18143-51. 2009..Thus, in contrast to macrophages and monocytes in which low intracellular K(+) has been suggested to trigger inflammasome activation, in neural cells, high extracellular K(+) activates caspase-1 probably through pannexin 1...
- Spatiotemporal and anatomical analyses of P2X receptor-mediated neuronal and glial processing of sensory signals in the rat dorsal hornRyoma Aoyama
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Pain 152:2085-97. 2011..Astrocytes are involved in sensitization of sensory network activity more importantly in the superficial than in the deep layer...
- A reassessment of P2X7 receptor inhibition as a neuroprotective strategy in rat models of contusion injuryAlexander Marcillo
The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Exp Neurol 233:687-92. 2012....
- P2X7 receptor-mediated calcium dynamics in HEK293 cells: experimental characterization and modelling approachA Di Garbo
CNR Institute of Biophysics, Via G Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
Phys Biol 9:026001. 2012..To explain the complex Ca²⁺ responses evoked by BzATP, the model predicted that an impairment in Ca²⁺ extrusion flux through the plasma membrane is a key factor for Ca²⁺ homeostasis in HEK293 cells...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction is involved in P2X7 receptor-mediated neuronal cell deathKentaro Nishida
Department of Environmental Biochemistry, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurochem 122:1118-28. 2012..These findings suggested that P2X7R was functionally expressed by cortical neuron cultures, and its activation-triggered Ca(2+) entry and mitochondrial dysfunction played important roles in the ATP-induced neuronal death...
- Contribution of the spinal P2X7 receptors to bee venom-induced nociception and inflammation in conscious ratsZhong He Zhou
Department of Neurology, General Hospital of Shen Yang Military Region, Shen yang 110840, PR China
Neurosci Lett 531:145-8. 2012..These data suggest that the activation of spinal P2X7Rs may play a key role in BV-induced nociception, but not inflammation...
- Proteomic and functional evidence for a P2X7 receptor signalling complexM Kim
Institute of Molecular Physiology, University of Sheffield, Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
EMBO J 20:6347-58. 2001..Others, such as RPTPbeta, might exert feedback control of the channel itself through its dephosphorylation...
- P2X7 receptors activate protein kinase D and p42/p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) downstream of protein kinase CMichelle D Bradford
Division of Signal Transduction, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, MA 02215, USA
Biochem J 366:745-55. 2002....
- P2X7 receptor cell surface expression and cytolytic pore formation are regulated by a distal C-terminal regionMegan L Smart
Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Biol Chem 278:8853-60. 2003....
- Glial cells, but not interstitial cells, express P2X7, an ionotropic purinergic receptor, in rat gastrointestinal musculatureJean Marie Vanderwinden
Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Campus Erasme, CP 601, 808 Route de Lennik, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Cell Tissue Res 312:149-54. 2003..Our observations suggest that purinergic signaling could influence the enteric glia through P2X7 receptors...
- TNP-ATP-resistant P2X ionic current on the central terminals and somata of rat primary sensory neuronsKenzo Tsuzuki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, McKnight Brain Institute and College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Neurophysiol 89:3235-42. 2003..These results suggest that TNP-ATP-resistant P2X receptor subtypes are expressed on capsaicin-insensitive A delta-afferent fibers and play a role in modulating sensory transmission to lamina V neurons...
- Distinct roles of P2X receptors in modulating glutamate release at different primary sensory synapses in rat spinal cordTerumasa Nakatsuka
McKnight Brain Institute and Department of Oral Surgery, Division of Neuroscience, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 32610, USA
J Neurophysiol 89:3243-52. 2003..Taken together, these results suggest that P2X receptor subtypes play distinct roles in sensory processing in functionally different sensory regions...
- P2X and P2Y purinoceptor expression in pancreas from streptozotocin-diabetic ratsRobson Coutinho-Silva
Autonomic Neuroscience Institute, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 204:141-54. 2003..P2Y1 and P2Y2 receptor expression was also found in pancreatic duct cells and P2X1, P2X2, P2Y1 and P2Y2 receptors were identified in small blood vessels...
- Extracellular ATP causes ROCK I-dependent bleb formation in P2X7-transfected HEK293 cellsAnna Morelli
Department of Experimental and Diagnostic Medicine, Section of General Pathology, and Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Inflammation, University of Ferrara, I 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 14:2655-64. 2003The P2X7 ATP receptor mediates the cytotoxic effect of extracellular ATP. P2X7-dependent cell death is heralded by dramatic plasma membrane bleb formation...
- Synaptic localization of P2X7 receptors in the rat retinaTheresa Puthussery
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville 3010 Victoria, Australia
J Comp Neurol 472:13-23. 2004..These findings suggest that purines play a significant role in neurotransmission within the retina, and may modulate both photoreceptor and rod bipolar cell responses...
- Expression of P2X7 receptor immunoreactivity in distinct subsets of synaptic terminals in the ventral horn of rat lumbar spinal cordZhihui Deng
Office of Research Affairs, Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Wright State University School of Medicine, 002A Mathematics and Microbiology Building, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
Brain Res 1020:53-61. 2004..The results suggest that distinct populations of synapses involved in spinal cord motor control circuits may be differentially regulated by the activation of P2X7 receptors...
- Regulation of P2X7-induced pore formation and cell death in pericyte-containing retinal microvesselsTetsuya Sugiyama
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, 1000 Wall St, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C568-76. 2005..Conversely, dysfunction of these protective mechanisms may be a previously unrecognized cause of cell death within the retinal microvasculature...
- Involvement of chloride in apoptotic cell death induced by activation of ATP-sensitive P2X7 purinoceptorMitsutoshi Tsukimoto
Department of Environmental Biochemistry and Toxicology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:2653-8. 2005..Therefore we concluded that pore formation plays a critical role in the P2X(7) receptor-induced apoptotic cell death and that this is mediated by extracellular Cl(-) influx...
- Pharmacological characterization of P2X7 receptors in rat peritoneal cellsY W Chen
Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6119, USA
Inflamm Res 54:119-26. 2005..Prolonged stimulation can lead to pore formation and cell death. In this study we pharmacologically characterized P2X(7) receptors on rat peritoneal cells (RPC) and on 1321N1 cells transfected with rat P2X(7) receptor (1321rP2X(7)-11)...
- Role of sodium in mitochondrial membrane depolarization induced by P2X7 receptor activation in submandibular glandsM Garcia-Marcos
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad del Pais Vasco, Barrio Sarriena S N Leioa, Spain
FEBS Lett 579:5407-13. 2005..It is concluded that the activation of P2X(7) receptors depolarizes the mitochondrial membrane. The uptake of extracellular sodium is necessary but not sufficient to induce this response...
- Purinergic receptors mediate two distinct glutamate release pathways in hippocampal astrocytesTommaso Fellin
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Istituto di Neuroscienze and Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche Sperimentali, Universita di Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:4274-84. 2006..This sustained glutamate efflux, which is potentiated under non-physiological conditions, may have important pathological actions in the brain...
- Involvement of the purinergic P2X7 receptor in the formation of multinucleated giant cellsIrma Lemaire
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 177:7257-65. 2006..Our study also provides evidence suggesting that stimulation of the P2X7 receptor pathway in MA may mediate increased formation of MGC during chronic inflammatory reactions...
- Differential role of extracellular histidines in copper, zinc, magnesium and proton modulation of the P2X7 purinergic receptorClaudio Acuña-Castillo
Departamentos de Fisiologia, Centro de Regulacion Celular y Patologia J V Luco, Instituto Milenio de Biología Fundamental y Aplicada MIFAB, Chile
J Neurochem 101:17-26. 2007....
- P2X7 receptor-mediated phosphatidic acid production delays ATP-induced pore opening and cytolysis of RAW 264.7 macrophagesHervé Le Stunff
Institut de Biochimie et de Biophysique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS UMR 8619, Universite Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Cell Signal 19:1909-18. 2007..This will be important in the case of P2X7R-induced killing of intracellular bacteria which is lately associated with macrophage death, limiting the potency of ATPe to eliminate pathogenic bacteria...
- Activation of P2X(7) receptors stimulates the expression of P2Y(2) receptor mRNA in astrocytes cultured from rat brainI D'Alimonte
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 20:301-16. 2007..we report that the most potent P2X(7) receptor agonist BzATP stimulates the expression of the metabotropic ATP receptor P2Y(2) in cultured rat brain astrocytes...
- Evidence for functional P2X4/P2X7 heteromeric receptorsChang Guo
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1PD, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 72:1447-56. 2007The cytolytic ionotropic ATP receptor P2X7 has several important roles in immune cell regulation, such as cytokine release, apoptosis, and microbial killing...
- Expression and function of the P2X(7) receptor in rat C6 glioma cellsWei Wei
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Cancer Lett 260:79-87. 2008..In a scratch-wound migration assay, the P2X7R was shown to regulate cell mobility. The overall results suggest that P2X7R activation in C6 is linked with increased pro-inflammatory factors and tumor cell migration...
- Negative and positive allosteric modulators of the P2X(7) receptorA D Michel
Neurology Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Limited, Harlow, Essex, UK
Br J Pharmacol 153:737-50. 2008..3.1.1(3,7)]dec-1-ylacetamide (compound-17) and N (2)-(3,4-difluorophenyl)-N (1)-[2-methyl-5-(1-piperazinylmethyl)phenyl]glycinamide dihydrochloride (GW791343) on P2X(7) receptors were examined and their mechanism of action explored...
- Cortical and subcortical distribution of ionotropic purinergic receptor subunit type 1 (P2X(1)R) immunoreactive neurons in the rat forebrainF Florenzano
Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico I R C C S Santa Lucia Foundation, Via Fosso del Fiorano 64, Rome, Italy
Neuroscience 151:791-801. 2008..Present data indicate that P2X(1)R are prevalent in forebrain areas involved in the integration of cognitive, limbic and autonomic functions...
- P2X7 pre-synaptic receptors in adult rat cerebrocortical nerve terminals: a role in ATP-induced glutamate releaseManuela Marcoli
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
J Neurochem 105:2330-42. 2008....
- P2X7 receptors on osteoblasts couple to production of lysophosphatidic acid: a signaling axis promoting osteogenesisNattapon Panupinthu
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Skeletal Development and Remodeling, London, ON, Canada
J Cell Biol 181:859-71. 2008..b>P2rx7-/- mice exhibit diminished appositional growth of long bones and impaired responses to mechanical loading...
- Opposing effects of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine-preferring receptors on proliferation of astrocytes induced by fibroblast growth factor-2: implications for CNS development, injury, and repairJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Healthcare System, Department of Pathology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Neurosci Res 86:3096-105. 2008..These trophic actions of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine receptors may contribute to the regulation of CNS development, adult neurogenesis, and the response of astrocytes to injury...
- ATP-induced P2X7-associated uptake of large molecules involves distinct mechanisms for cations and anions in macrophagesJulieta Schachter
Laboratório de Imunobiofísica, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Cell Sci 121:3261-70. 2008....
- Astrocyte cultures exhibit P2X7 receptor channel opening in the absence of exogenous ligandsKazuki Nagasawa
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA, USA
Glia 57:622-33. 2009..These results suggest that the basal uptake of YP may be due to activation of P2X7R by release of ATP by astrocytes themselves into intercellular spaces...
- Alteration of purinergic P2X4 and P2X7 receptor expression in rats with temporal-lobe epilepsy induced by pilocarpineFlavia Dona
Departamento Neurologia Neurocirurgia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Epilepsy Res 83:157-67. 2009..However, the reduction of hippocampal P2X(4) receptor immunostaining in the chronic phase could reflect neuronal loss or decreased GABAergic signaling...
- Analysis of assembly and trafficking of native P2X4 and P2X7 receptor complexes in rodent immune cellsMiyyada Boumechache
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1PD
J Biol Chem 284:13446-54. 2009..2-fold increase in total expression. The redistribution of intracellular receptors is thus an efficient means of enhancing the functional expression of P2X4 at the plasma membrane of microglia...
- Mechanism of action of species-selective P2X(7) receptor antagonistsAnton D Michel
Neurology Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Limited, New Frontiers Science Park, Essex, UK
Br J Pharmacol 156:1312-25. 2009..In this study we have further characterized these compounds to determine their mechanism of action and interaction with other species orthologues...
- P2X7-mediated increased intracellular calcium causes functional derangement in Schwann cells from rats with CMT1A neuropathyLucilla Nobbio
Department of Neurosciences, Ophthalmology, and Genetics and Center of Excellence for Biomedical Research, University of Genova, Via De Toni 5, 16132 Genova, Italy
J Biol Chem 284:23146-58. 2009..interfering RNA, we demonstrate that the high [Ca(2+)](i) is caused by a PMP22-related overexpression of the P2X7 purinoceptor/channel leading to influx of extracellular Ca(2+) into CMT1A SC...
- Enhanced expression of P2X4 and P2X7 purinergic receptors in the myometrium of pregnant rats in preterm delivery modelsSatoshi Urabe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Reprod Sci 16:1186-92. 2009..4 and 18.6 times the control values, respectively. These findings suggest that increased P2X4 and P2X7 receptor expression in pregnant rats is related to uterine contraction leading to term and preterm delivery...
- Pannexin-I/P2X 7 purinergic receptor channels mediate the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioningDonald A Vessey
Liver Study Unit, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 15:190-5. 2010..Inhibitors of other P2X receptors, P2Y receptors, or connexins did not affect IPC. We conclude that a pannexin-1/P2X(7) channel is responsible for the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioning...
- Extracellular ATP and the P2X7 receptor in astrocyte-mediated motor neuron death: implications for amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMandi Gandelman
Institut Pasteur, Montevideo, Uruguay
J Neuroinflammation 7:33. 2010..Here we studied the role of extracellular ATP acting through P2X(7) receptors as an initiator of a neurotoxic phenotype that leads to astrocyte-mediated motor neuron death in non-transgenic and SOD1G93A astrocytes...
- Involvement of spinal microglial P2X7 receptor in generation of tolerance to morphine analgesia in ratsDong Zhou
Unit of Pain Research, Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
J Neurosci 30:8042-7. 2010..Once morphine analgesic tolerance is established, it was no longer affected by intrathecal BBG. Together, our results suggest that spinal P2X(7)R is involved in the induction but not maintenance of morphine tolerance...
- Involvement of microglial P2X7 receptors and downstream signaling pathways in long-term potentiation of spinal nociceptive responsesYu Xia Chu
Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Brain Behav Immun 24:1176-89. 2010..These results suggest that microglial P2X7Rs and its downstream signaling pathways play a pivotal role in the induction of spinal LTP and persistent pain induced by TSS...
- Electrophysiological classification of P2X7 receptors in rat cultured neocortical astrogliaW Nörenberg
Rudolf Boehm Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 160:1941-52. 2010..Electrophysiological evidence that these receptors also occur in CNS astroglia is rare and rather incomplete...
- Rodent cortical astroglia express in situ functional P2X7 receptors sensing pathologically high ATP concentrationsJoão Filipe Oliveira
Rudolf Boehm Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, D 04107 Leipzig, Germany
Cereb Cortex 21:806-20. 2011..These receptors may participate in necrotic/apoptotic or proliferative reactions after stimulation by large quantities of ATP released by central nervous system injury...
- Temporal expression of P2X7 purinergic receptor during the course of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisTomasz Grygorowicz
Department of Neurochemistry, Mossakowski Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Neurochem Int 57:823-9. 2010..This suggests the early involvement of this kind of receptor into pathological mechanisms leading for symptoms characteristic for EAE...
- ATP and the purine type 2 X7 receptor affect sleepJames M Krueger
Sleep and Performance Research Center, Programs in Neuroscience, Dept of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 6520, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1318-27. 2010....
- Expression of macrophage inflammatory protein-1α and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in glioma-infiltrating microglia: involvement of ATP and P2X₇ receptorKuan Min Fang
Department of Life Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
J Neurosci Res 89:199-211. 2011....
- Functional significance of the negative-feedback regulation of ATP release via pannexin-1 hemichannels under ischemic stress in astrocytesSadahiro Iwabuchi
Laboratory of Cellular Cybernetics, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0814, Japan
Neurochem Int 58:376-84. 2011..This negative-feedback mechanism, suppressing the loss of cellular ATP and Ca(2+) influx, might contribute to the survival of astrocytes under ischemic stress...
- Residues 155 and 348 contribute to the determination of P2X7 receptor function via distinct mechanisms revealed by single-nucleotide polymorphismsHelen J Bradley
Institute of Membrane and Systems Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:8176-87. 2011..Such interpretations are consistent with the locations of the residues in the structural model of the hP2X(7) receptor...
- Ischemic preconditioning requires opening of pannexin-1/P2X(7) channels not only during preconditioning but again after index ischemia at full reperfusionDonald A Vessey
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Liver Study Unit 151 K, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 351:77-84. 2011..This correlates with an inability to generate phospho-Akt at reperfusion. IPC prevents this loss and thereby primes the cell for response to cardioprotectants released at full reperfusion...
- P2X(7) receptor antagonists display agonist-like effects on cell signaling proteinsLee Hedden
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1810:532-42. 2011..We report that some agents that can block P2X(7)R receptors also promote diverse P2X(7)R-independent effects on cell signaling...
- ATP release due to Thy-1-integrin binding induces P2X7-mediated calcium entry required for focal adhesion formationMauricio Henriquez
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad de Chil Santiago, Chile
J Cell Sci 124:1581-8. 2011....
- Interaction of alpha1D-adrenergic and P2X(7) receptors in the rat lacrimal gland and the effect on intracellular [Ca2+] and protein secretionDarlene A Dartt
Department of Ophthalmology, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5720-9. 2011..To determine whether α(1D)-adrenergic receptors (α(1D)-AR) and P2X(7) receptors interact by determining their effect on ATP release, intracellular [Ca(2+)] ([Ca(2+)](i)), and protein secretion in rat lacrimal gland acini...
- The P2X7 receptor and Pannexin-1 are both required for the promotion of multinucleated macrophages by the inflammatory cytokine GM-CSFIrma Lemaire
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Immunol 187:3878-87. 2011..These data demonstrate that both P2X(7) and Panx-1 are required for GM-CSF promotion of MA fusion but likely act independently through different signaling pathway(s)...
- P2X(7) receptors in rat parotid acinar cells: formation of large poresS J Gibbons
Department of Neuroscience, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Auton Pharmacol 21:181-90. 2001..This property likely contributes to signalling and may be cytotoxic and have particular significance in damaged or inflamed salivary glands...
- Effect of ATP on intracellular pH in pancreatic ducts involves P2X7 receptorsKaterine L Henriksen
August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Cell Physiol Biochem 13:93-102. 2003..Our study shows that the pHi effect of ATP is mediated by P2X7 receptors. However, ATP does not affect H+/HCO3- transporters unmasked by cellular acidosis. Presumably, ATP alone does not stimulate HCO3- secretion in pancreatic ducts...
- P2X7 receptor activates extracellular signal-regulated kinases ERK1 and ERK2 independently of Ca2+ influxJan Amstrup
August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 13, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Biochem J 374:51-61. 2003..In cell suspensions prepared from rat pancreas we show that P2X7 receptors also activate ERK1 and ERK2, indicating that these signalling pathways are also turned on in native epithelium...
- Differential co-localisation of the P2X7 receptor subunit with vesicular glutamate transporters VGLUT1 and VGLUT2 in rat CNSL Atkinson
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Leeds, LS2 9NQ, Leeds, UK
Neuroscience 123:761-8. 2004....
- P2X7 receptors stimulate AKT phosphorylation in astrocytesMaria C Jacques-Silva
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 141:1106-17. 2004....
- Somatic and axonal effects of ATP via P2X2 but not P2X7 receptors in rat thoracolumbar sympathetic neuronesC Allgaier
Rudolf Boehm Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Neurophysiology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Neurochem 90:359-67. 2004..However, the functional significance of axonal and (peri)-nuclear P2X(7) receptors has still to be proven...
- ATP-induced non-neuronal cell permeabilization in the rat inner retinaBarbara Innocenti
Laboratory of Cell Physiology and Molecular Biology, Department of Experimental Ophthalmology, University Eye Hospital, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Neurosci 24:8577-83. 2004..Our data clearly reveal that prolonged stimulation of P2X7 receptors elicits permeabilization exclusively in microglial cells but not in neurons of the inner retina...
- Presence of the P2X(7) purinergic receptor on immune cells that invade the rat endometrium during oestrusRachel Koshi
Department of Anatomy, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632002, India
J Reprod Immunol 66:127-40. 2005..In particular, the presence of P2X(7) receptors on endometrial stromal cells may indicate their involvement in apoptosis and immune and inflammatory responses...
- Coupling of two pools of P2X7 receptors to distinct intracellular signaling pathways in rat submandibular glandMikel Garcia-Marcos
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
J Lipid Res 47:705-14. 2006..P2X7 receptors in the rafts are coupled to the activation of N-SMase, which increases the content of ceramides in rafts. This may contribute to the activation of PLA2 in response to P2X7 receptor occupancy...
- Control of Conjuctival Goblet Cell Mucin ProductionDarlene Dartt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Study of the signaling pathways that stimulate conjunctival goblet cell proliferation will lead to the development of treatments to replenish the mucin layer in these diseases. ..
- Regulation of Gliosis by Purinergic Receptor SignalingW Dalton Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..The objective of this application is to determine how ATP receptor/ERK signaling regulates the commitment to cell cycle progression or growth arrest in astrocytes...
- Planning Grant:Research on Blinding Eye Diseases (RMI)Darlene Dartt; Fiscal Year: 2006..Based on these findings, an application for an Interdisciplinary Center for Research on Blinding Eye Diseases will be prepared. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sleep Regulation - The Involvement of GHRHJames Krueger; Fiscal Year: 2009..Anticipated results are expected to support the hypothesis that GHRH is a key regulatory component of NREMS and provide cellular mechanistic explanations for the involvement of GHRH in sleep regulation. ..