Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Oxt
Description: oxytocin/neurophysin 1 prepropeptide
Alias: oxytocin-neurophysin 1, OT-NPI, oxcytocin, oxytocin, prepropeptide, oxytocin/neurophysin (Oxt) gene, complete gene, complete cds
Publications130 found, 100 shown here
- Relationship between gene expression and function of uterotonic systems in the rat during gestation, uterine activation and both term and preterm labourPatrice Arthur
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 220 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
J Physiol 586:6063-76. 2008..This novel combination of functional and genetic expression analyses provides new insight into the physiology of parturition...
- Nesfatin-1 neurons in paraventricular and supraoptic nuclei of the rat hypothalamus coexpress oxytocin and vasopressin and are activated by refeedingDaisuke Kohno
Division of Integrative Physiology, Department of Physiology, Jichi Medical University, School of Medicine, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Endocrinology 149:1295-301. 2008..Feeding-activated nesfatin-1 neurons in the PVN and SON could play a role in the postprandial regulation of feeding behavior and energy homeostasis...
- Science review: Vasopressin and the cardiovascular system part 1--receptor physiologyCheryl L Holmes
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crit Care 7:427-34. 2003..In part 2 of the review we discuss the effects of vasopressin on vascular smooth muscle and the heart, and we summarize clinical studies of vasopressin in shock states...
- Oxytocin release from the rat neurohypophysis into the blood: effects of tachykinin NK-1 and NK-2 receptors agonists and antagonistsM Juszczak
Department of Pathophysiology and Experimental Neuroendocrinology, Medical University of Łódź, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:553-62. 2008..The present data strongly indicate a major role for the tachykinin NK-1 receptor in SP- and/or NKA-dependent regulation of OT secretion from the rat neurohypophysis into the blood...
- CNS region-specific oxytocin receptor expression: importance in regulation of anxiety and sex behaviorT L Bale
Neurobiology and Behavior Program, Departments of Pharmacology and Psychiatry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurosci 21:2546-52. 2001..Distinct signal transduction pathways regulating receptor expression and binding in each brain region may mediate in part the ability of oxytocin to exert these differential behavioral effects...
- Centrally released oxytocin mediates mating-induced anxiolysis in male ratsMartin Waldherr
Department of Behavioral Neuroendocrinology, University of Regensburg, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16681-4. 2007..These findings provide direct evidence for an essential role of an activated brain oxytocin system mediating the anxiolytic effect of mating in males...
- Differential kinetics of oxytocin and vasopressin heteronuclear RNA expression in the rat supraoptic nucleus in response to chronic salt loading in vivoC Yue
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 20:227-32. 2008....
- Oxytocin receptor activity in the ventrocaudal periaqueductal gray modulates anxiety-related behavior in postpartum ratsRayson J Figueira
Neuroscience Program, 108 Giltner Hall, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Behav Neurosci 122:618-28. 2008..Therefore, OT receptor activation in the cPAGv is an important consequence of contact with infants that reduces some anxiety-related behaviors in mother rats...
- The neurohypophyseal hormones vasopressin and oxytocin. Precursor structure, synthesis and regulationM Rehbein
Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 367:695-704. 1986..This suggests a feedback regulation by the hormone as a possible element in controlling the transcription of the vasopressin gene...
- ERK2 mediates oxytocin-stimulated PGE2 synthesisZ Strakova
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 1062, USA
Am J Physiol 274:E634-41. 1998..However, inhibition of OT-induced ERK2 phosphorylation with an ERK kinase inhibitor (PD-98059) markedly reduced OT-stimulated PGE2 synthesis, pointing to the importance of ERK2 activation in OT action...
- Oxytocin links mothering received, mothering bestowed and adult stress responsesCort A Pedersen
Department of Psychiatry CB 7160, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Stress 5:259-67. 2002....
- Pharmacological effects of oxytocin on gastric emptying and intestinal transit of a non-nutritive liquid meal in female ratsChiu Lung Wu
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Shih Pai, Taipei 11221, Taiwan, Republic of China
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 367:406-13. 2003..These results suggest that OT inhibits gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in female rats via a mechanism involving CCK stimulation and CCK(1) receptor activation...
- Central blockade of oxytocin receptors during late gestation disrupts systemic release of oxytocin during suckling in ratsD L Lipschitz
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 15:743-8. 2003..These data suggest that central actions of oxytocin during late gestation are necessary for the normal timing of systemic release of oxytocin during suckling, normal pup weight gain, and maintenance of maternal body weight...
- Oxytocin in cardiac ontogenyMarek Jankowski
Centre de Recherche, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hotel Dieu, 3840 rue Saint Urbain, Montreal, QC, Canada H2W 1T8
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:13074-9. 2004..The results support the hypothesis that RA induces cardiomyogenesis by activation of the cardiac OT system...
- Oxytocin and estrogen promote rapid formation of functional GABA synapses in the adult supraoptic nucleusDionysia T Theodosis
INSERM, U 378, Bordeaux F33077 France University Victor Segalen, Bordeaux F33077, France
Mol Cell Neurosci 31:785-94. 2006..Our observations thus offer direct evidence that hypothalamic GABAergic microcircuitries can undergo rapid and functional remodeling under changing neuroendocrine conditions...
- Vaginocervical stimulation enhances social recognition memory in rats via oxytocin release in the olfactory bulbA Larrazolo-López
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Delegacion Coyoacan, 04510 Ciudad Universitaria, D F, Mexico
Neuroscience 152:585-93. 2008..The vagus and pelvic nerves are responsible for carrying the information from the pelvic area to the CNS...
- The effects of alprostadil on hypothalamic and amygdalar function and the central expression of oxytocin: a potential central role of alprostadil creamXiangrong Sun
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical College of Qingdao University, Qingdao, China
J Sex Med 6:81-90. 2009..However, few researchers have investigated the mechanism of the alprostadil cream on the central nervous system (CNS)...
- Centrally administered adrenomedullin 5 activates oxytocin-secreting neurons in the hypothalamus and elevates plasma oxytocin level in ratsHiroki Otsubo
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Endocrinol 202:237-47. 2009..Dual immunostaining for Fos/oxytocin (OXT) and Fos/arginine vasopressin (AVP) revealed that OXT-LI neurones predominantly colocalized Fos-LI compared with ..
- Expressions of per1 clock gene and genes of signaling peptides vasopressin, vasoactive intestinal peptide, and oxytocin in the suprachiasmatic and paraventricular nuclei of hypertensive TGR[mREN2]27 ratsZuzana Dzirbíková
Department of Animal Physiology and Ethology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Cell Mol Neurobiol 31:225-32. 2011..of genes encoding vasopressin (AVP), vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) in the SCN, and AVP and oxytocin (OXT) in the PVN were studied by in situ hybridization...
- Oxytocin in the periaqueductal grey regulates nociception in the ratJun Yang
School of Pharmacy, Xinxiang Medical University, Xixiang, Henan 453003, China
Regul Pept 169:39-42. 2011Studies have demonstrated that oxytocin (OXT) plays important roles in pain modulation in the central nervous system, and there are OXT receptors in the periaqueductal grey (PAG)...
- Oxytocin and vasopressin involved in restraint water-immersion stress mediated by oxytocin receptor and vasopressin 1b receptor in rat brainDong Qin Zhao
Key Laboratory of Animal Resistance of Shandong Province, College of Life Sciences, Shandong Normal University, Shandong Province, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e23362. 2011..The present study was to study the role of vasopressinergic and oxytocinergic neurons during the restraint water-immersion stress...
- Yes, I am ready now: differential effects of paced versus unpaced mating on anxiety and central oxytocin release in female ratsKewir D Nyuyki
Department of Behavioral and Molecular Neurobiology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e23599. 2011..These findings reveal that the positive consequences of mating in females are dependent on her ability to control sexual interactions, and that brain OT release is at least in part the underlying neurobiological correlate...
- Vasopressin, oxytocin, and social odor recognitionDouglas W Wacker
Centre for Integrative Physiology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
Horm Behav 61:259-65. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Oxytocin, Vasopressin, and Social Behavior...
- Affiliative behavior attenuates stress responses of GI tract via up-regulating hypothalamic oxytocin expressionReji Babygirija
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, United States
Auton Neurosci 169:28-33. 2012Hypothalamic oxytocin (OXT) has stress-attenuating effects. Social interaction in a positive environment continuously activates OXT release system...
- Sexual experience increases oxytocin receptor gene expression and protein in the medial preoptic area of the male ratMario Gil
Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA Electronic address
Psychoneuroendocrinology 38:1688-97. 2013..Taken together, these data suggest a reciprocal interaction between central OT and behavior, in which OT facilitates copulation and copulation stimulates the OT/OTR system in the brain. ..
- Presence of oxytocin, vasopressin and atrial natriuretic peptide and their modification in rat hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus during resistance trainingE V Farina
Dipartimento di Biomedicina Sperimentale e Neuroscienze Cliniche, Sezione di Anatomia Umana, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Anat Histol Embryol 43:159-63. 2014..The functional significance of these changes in OT and VP levels, during and after the protocol, needs to be further investigated...
- Altered oxytocinergic hypothalamus systems in sepsisE Sendemir
Department of Anatomy, Uludag University, Medical Faculty, Bursa, Turkey
J Chem Neuroanat 52:44-8. 2013..Systemic oxytocin levels may serve as additional diagnostic marker for sepsis. ..
- Oxytocin activates calcium signaling in rat sensory neurons through a protein kinase C-dependent mechanismAhmet Ayar
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
J Physiol Biochem 70:43-8. 2014..The finding of the role of OT in peripheral pain modification may serve as a novel target for the development of new pharmacological strategies for the management of pain...
- Oxytocin cells in the supraoptic nucleus receive excitatory synaptic inputs from the contralateral supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei in the lactating ratKazumasa Honda
Faculty of Nursing and Welfare Sciences, Fukui Prefectural University, Fukui 910 1195, Japan
J Reprod Dev 59:569-74. 2013..Receipt these synaptic inputs to oxytocin cells may contribute to the synchronized activation of oxytocin cells during the milk ejection reflex. ..
- The inhibitory effect of anandamide on oxytocin and vasopressin secretion from neurohypophysis is mediated by nitric oxideValeria Luce
Centro de Estudios Farmacologicos y Botanicos, CEFYBO CONICET UBA, Facultad de Medicina, Paraguay 2155, 1121ABG, Argentina
Regul Pept 188:31-9. 2014..These findings revealed an interaction between endocannabinoid, nitric oxide and oxytocin/vasopressin systems that could be involved in the modulation of homeostatic, behavioral and reproductive processes. ..
- Neonatal testosterone suppresses a neuroendocrine pulse generator required for reproductionJean Marc Israel
1 INSERM, U862, Neurocentre Magendie, F 33077 Bordeaux, France 2 Université de Bordeaux, F 33077 Bordeaux, France
Nat Commun 5:3285. 2014..This supports the view that stereotypic neuroendocrine pulsatility is governed by CPGs, some of which are subjected to gender-specific perinatal programming. ..
- Neonatal manipulation of oxytocin prevents lipopolysaccharide-induced decrease in gene expression of growth factors in two developmental stages of the female ratJan Bakos
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia Institute of Physiology, Medical Faculty, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia Electronic address
Neuropeptides 48:281-6. 2014..In conclusion, neonatal manipulation of oxytocin has developmental and sex-dependent effect on markers of brain plasticity. These results also indicate, that oxytocin may be protective against inflammation particularly in females...
- The effects of oxytocin on cognitive defect caused by chronic restraint stress applied to adolescent rats and on hippocampal VEGF and BDNF levelsAyfer Dayi
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 21:69-75. 2015....
- Evidence that paraventricular nucleus oxytocin neurons link hypothalamic leptin action to caudal brain stem nuclei controlling meal sizeJames E Blevins
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Research Service 151 1660 S Columbian Wy, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R87-96. 2004....
- A neuromodulatory role for oxytocin within the supramammillary nucleusM R Cumbers
Department of Anatomy, University of Bristol, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
Neuropeptides 41:217-26. 2007..This could have important implications for understanding the diverse neuroendocrine and behavioural functions of central oxytocin, including its role in reward...
- Effect of oxytocin on acupuncture analgesia in the ratJun Yang
Institute for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Science, Guangdong Bangmin Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Jianghai Distract, Jiangmen, Guangdong 529080, China
Neuropeptides 41:285-92. 2007..The data suggested that oxytocin in central nervous system rather than in peripheral organs is involved in acupuncture analgesia...
- The effect of amiloride during infusion of oxytocin in male sprague-dawley rats: a study of a possible intrarenal target site for oxytocinLina Nordquist
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Exp Hypertens 30:151-8. 2008..It is concluded that the intrarenal natriuretic mechanisms of oxytocin do not emanate from the amiloride-sensitive sodium channels...
- Oxytocin exerts protective effects on in vitro myocardial injury induced by ischemia and reperfusionMaria Ondrejcakova
Institute of Heart Research, Department of Cardiovascular Physiology and Pathophysiology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava 84005, Slovakia
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 87:137-42. 2009..The data suggest that the negative chronotropic action of oxytocin participates in its protective effects on ischemia-reperfusion-induced myocardial injury...
- Neuroanatomical evidence for reciprocal regulation of the corticotrophin-releasing factor and oxytocin systems in the hypothalamus and the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis of the rat: Implications for balancing stress and affectJoanna Dabrowska
Center for Translational Social Neuroscience, Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, 954 Gatewood Rd, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:1312-26. 2011....
- Effect of the interaction between food state and the action of estrogen on oxytocinergic system activityF Lucio-Oliveira
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes, 3900, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
J Endocrinol 212:129-38. 2012..These results suggest that E(2) may have an inhibitory effect on OT neurones and may modulate the secretion of OT in response to the increase of osmolality induced by refeeding...
- Intracellular calcium stores regulate activity-dependent neuropeptide release from dendritesMike Ludwig
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh Medical School, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
Nature 418:85-9. 2002..This priming action makes dendritic oxytocin available for release in response to subsequent spike activity. Priming persists for a prolonged period, changing the nature of interactions between oxytocin neurons and their neighbours...
- Time course of c-fos, vasopressin and oxytocin mRNA expression in the hypothalamus following long-term dehydrationLenise Trito Garcia da Silveira
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicológicas e Bromatológicas da Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas de Ribeirão Preto, Brasil
Cell Mol Neurobiol 27:575-84. 2007..Therefore, it is possible that c-fos may be involved in the modulation of VP and OT genes, regulating the mRNA expression levels on a temporally distinct basis within the PVN and SON...
- Oxytocin facilitates female sexual maturation through a glia-to-neuron signaling pathwayAnne Simone Parent
Developmental Neuroendocrinology Unit, Unioversity of Liège, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Endocrinology 149:1358-65. 2008..Moreover, astrocytes express oxytocin receptors, whereas GnRH neurons do not. These results suggest that oxytocin facilitates female sexual development and that this effect is mediated by a mechanism involving glial production of PGE(2)...
- Central vasopressin and oxytocin release: regulation of complex social behavioursAlexa H Veenema
Department of Behavioural Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Zoology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Prog Brain Res 170:261-76. 2008The neuropeptides arginine vasopressin (AVP) and oxytocin (OXT) are acknowledged as important modulators of diverse social behaviours...
- Antagonism of oxytocin prevents suckling- and estradiol-induced, but not progesterone-induced, secretion of prolactinJessica E Kennett
Department of Biological Science, and Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, USA
Endocrinology 150:2292-9. 2009..These data demonstrate the role of OT in the control of suckling and steroid-induced PRL secretion...
- Maternal separation interferes with developmental changes in brain vasopressin and oxytocin receptor binding in male ratsM Lukas
Department of Behavioral Neuroendocrinology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Neuropharmacology 58:78-87. 2010....
- Hypothalamic oxytocin attenuates CRF expression via GABA(A) receptors in ratsMehmet Bulbul
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin and Zablocki VA Medical Center, 5000 West National Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Brain Res 1387:39-45. 2011Centrally released oxytocin (OXT) has anxiolytic and anti-stress effects...
- Oxytocin in the periaqueductal gray participates in pain modulation in the rat by influencing endogenous opiate peptidesJun Yang
College of Pharmacy, Xinxiang Medical University, Xixiang, Henan 453003, China
Peptides 32:1255-61. 2011..Our pervious study has demonstrated that intra-PAG injection of oxytocin (OXT) increases the pain threshold, and local administration of OXT receptor antagonist decreases the pain threshold, in ..
- Both oxytocin and vasopressin are mediators of maternal care and aggression in rodents: from central release to sites of actionOliver J Bosch
Department of Behavioural and Molecular Neurobiology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Horm Behav 61:293-303. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Oxytocin, Vasopressin, and Social Behavior...
- Central and peripheral release of oxytocin following chronic homotypic stress in ratsReji Babygirija
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Auton Neurosci 167:56-60. 2012..In contrast, there were no significant changes observed in the plasma on day 3 and day 5. This suggests that central, but not peripheral, release of oxytocin plays an important role in response to chronic homotypic stress in rats...
- Peripheral chemoreceptors mediate training-induced plasticity in paraventricular nucleus pre-autonomic oxytocinergic neuronsJosiane C Cruz
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of S ao Paulo, 05508 000 Sao Paulo, Brazil
Exp Physiol 98:386-96. 2013....
- A possible correlation between oxytocin-induced and angiotensin IV-induced anti-hyperalgesia at the spinal level in ratsLok Hi Chow
Department of Pharmacology, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Peptides 39:21-8. 2013..Overall, our study suggests that Ang IV may act through the inhibition of the activity of IRAP to reduce the degradation of oxytocin at the spinal cord, thereby leading to anti-hyperalgesia in rats with inflammation...
- The androgen metabolite, 5α-androstane-3β,17β-diol (3β-diol), activates the oxytocin promoter through an estrogen receptor-β pathwayRyoko Hiroi
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, Building ABC1, Room 422, 425 North Fifth Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85004, USA
Endocrinology 154:1802-12. 2013..Point mutations of the cHRE also prevented OT-luc activation by 3β-diol. These results indicate that 3β-diol induces OT promoter activity via ER-β-cHRE interactions...
- Beyond the GnRH axis: kisspeptin regulation of the oxytocin system in pregnancy and lactationVictoria Scott
Department of Physiology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Adv Exp Med Biol 784:201-18. 2013....
- Rat vasopressin and oxytocin genes are linked by a long interspersed repeated DNA element (LINE): sequence and transcriptional analysis of LINEE Schmitz
Institut fur Zellbiochemie und klinische Neurobiologie, UKE, Universitat Hamburg, FRG
DNA Cell Biol 10:81-91. 1991..The data show that most LINEs are transcribed at their entire length and that a major fraction of respective RNAs does not enter the cytoplasm but remains in the cell nucleus...
- Impact of ether anesthesia on the hypophyseal content of oxytocin neurophysin I and II: a comparative study with ketamine in the ratR Zierer
University of Hawaii, Department of Agric Biochem, Honolulu 96844
Life Sci 49:1391-7. 1991..Treatment of animals with atropine and diphenylhydantoin in combination with ketamine does not alter the profile of the major hormones from the PP during anesthetic stress...
- Crystal structure analysis of deamino-oxytocin: conformational flexibility and receptor bindingS P Wood
Science 232:633-6. 1986..In each of two crystal forms there are two closely related conformers with disulfide bridges of different chirality, which may be important in receptor recognition and activation...
- Expression of the vasopressin and oxytocin genes in rats occurs in mutually exclusive sets of hypothalamic neuronsE Mohr
Institut fur Zellbiochemie und klinische Neurobiologie, Universitats Krankenhaus Eppendorf, Hamburg, FRG
FEBS Lett 242:144-8. 1988..The results demonstrate that upregulation of oxytocin gene transcription is restricted solely to oxytocinergic cells; no oxytocin gene transcripts can be detected in vasopressinergic neurons...
- Oxytocin administered intrathecally preferentially increases heart rate rather than arterial pressure in the ratK Yashpal
Laboratory of Neuroanatomy, Montreal Neurological Institute, Que, Canada
J Auton Nerv Syst 20:167-78. 1987..Our results are consistent with earlier suggestions that oxytocin may be a chemical mediator of synaptic transmission onto sympathetic preganglionic neurons...
- [Evolution of neurohypophyseal hormones: isolation of active principles from rabbits and rats]J Chauvet
Biochimie 53:1099-104. 1971
- Vasopressin and oxytocin mRNA regulation in the rat assessed by hybridization with synthetic oligonucleotidesJ A Majzoub
J Biol Chem 258:14061-4. 1983....
- Identification of rat neurophysins: complete amino acid sequences of MSEL- and VLDV-neurophysinsM T Chauvet
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 103:595-603. 1981
- The proximal portion of the COOH terminus of the oxytocin receptor is required for coupling to g(q), but not g(i). Independent mechanisms for elevating intracellular calcium concentrations from intracellular storesS Hoare
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1062, USA
J Biol Chem 274:28682-9. 1999..Furthermore, an increase in intracellular calcium was generated via a G(i)betagamma-tyrosine kinase pathway from intracellular stores that are distinct from G(q)-mediated inositol trisphosphate-regulated stores...
- cAMP stimulation of vasopressin and oxytocin release and regulation of vasopressin mRNA stability: role of auto-facilitationZ Song
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 13:158-65. 2001....
- Intrauterine oxytocin system. Compartmental distribution of oxytocin and oxytocin receptors in rat endometrial epitheliumG Morel
CNRS UMR 5578, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Villeurbanne, France
Cell Tissue Res 304:377-82. 2001....
- Chromosomal and comparative mapping of rat oxytocin, oxytocin receptor and vasopressin genesJ Dutil
Research Centre CHUM, 7 132 Pavillon Jeanne Mance, Hotel Dieu 3850, Rue st urbain, Montreal, Quebec, H2W 1T8, Canada
Cytogenet Cell Genet 93:57-9. 2001..They are located in chromosome regions previously known to contain quantitative trait loci for blood pressure in various genetic crosses. Thus, they have become valid candidate genes for genetic hypertension...
- Gastric antisecretory and antiulcer activity of oxytocin in rats and guinea pigsM Asad
Department of Pharmacology, Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Life Sci 70:17-24. 2001..The reversal of oxytocin effect by atosiban, an oxytocin receptor antagonist indicates a role for oxytocin receptors. The antiulcer activity of oxytocin can be attributed to its antisecretory effect...
- Neurosteroid regulation of oxytocin and vasopressin release from the rat supraoptic nucleusHelene Widmer
School of Biomedical and Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University of Edinburgh College of Medical and Veterinary Sciences, Edinburgh, UK
J Physiol 548:233-44. 2003....
- Facilitative role of endogenous oxytocin in noradrenaline release in the rat supraoptic nucleusTatsushi Onaka
Department of Physiology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi Ken 329 0498, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 18:3018-26. 2003..These data suggest that dendritic oxytocin facilitates activation of oxytocin neurons, at least in part by augmentation of noradrenaline release via a presynaptic action...
- Rhythmic secretion of prolactin in rats: action of oxytocin coordinated by vasoactive intestinal polypeptide of suprachiasmatic nucleus originMarcel Egli
Department of Biological Sciecne, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 4340, USA
Endocrinology 145:3386-94. 2004..This hypothesis is illustrated with a mathematical model...
- Regulation of 5alpha-reductase isoforms by oxytocin in the rat ventral prostateS J Assinder
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Endocrinology 145:5767-73. 2004..In conclusion, OT is involved in regulating conversion of testosterone to the biologically active dihydrotestosterone in the rat ventral prostate. It does so by differential regulation of 5alpha-reductase isoforms I and II...
- Evidence for an interaction between CB1 cannabinoid and oxytocin receptors in food and water intakeA N A Verty
School of Psychology, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia
Neuropharmacology 47:593-603. 2004....
- Co-expression of vasopressin and androgen-binding protein in the rat hypothalamusGustav F Jirikowski
Institut für Anatomie II, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Germany
J Chem Neuroanat 29:233-7. 2005..Intrahypothalamic expression of ABP may be among the mechanisms necessary for rapid actions of steroids on hypothalamic neuroendocrine systems...
- Brain oxytocin correlates with maternal aggression: link to anxietyOliver J Bosch
Institute of Zoology, University of Regensburg, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
J Neurosci 25:6807-15. 2005..Therefore, differences in intracerebral release patterns of oxytocin, rather than differences at the level of oxytocin receptors, are critical for the regulation of maternal aggressive behavior...
- Chronic exposure to Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol downregulates oxytocin and oxytocin-associated neurophysin in specific brain areasElena Butovsky
Department of Neurobiology, Weizmann Institute of Science, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Mol Cell Neurosci 31:795-804. 2006..As OT is known to inhibit development of drug tolerance and attenuate withdrawal symptoms, we suggest that OT downregulation could play a role during the establishment of the chronic effects of Delta9-THC...
- Cocaine treatment alters oxytocin receptor binding but not mRNA production in postpartum rat damsT M Jarrett
Department of Psychiatry, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 7096, 436 Taylor Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7096, USA
Neuropeptides 40:161-7. 2006..There was no significant change in OT mRNA production in the PVN following cocaine treatment...
- Effects of Morris water maze testing on the neuroendocrine stress response and intrahypothalamic release of vasopressin and oxytocin in the ratMario Engelmann
Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, Institut für Medizinische Neurobiologie, Leipziger Str 44, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Horm Behav 50:496-501. 2006..SON) nuclei were collected in order to monitor local release of the neuropeptides vasopressin (AVP) and oxytocin (OXT), respectively, during controllable swim stress...
- Interaction between oestrogen and oxytocin on hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activityT Ochedalski
Section on Endocrine Physiology, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 19:189-97. 2007....
- Dominant role of betagamma subunits of G-proteins in oxytocin-evoked burst firingYu feng Wang
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside, Riverside, California 92521, USA
J Neurosci 27:1902-12. 2007..We conclude that G betagamma subunits play a dominant role in burst firing evoked by applied OT or by suckling...
- A role for oxytocin and 5-HT(1A) receptors in the prosocial effects of 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("ecstasy")M R Thompson
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Griffith Taylor Building A18, Sydney, NSW, 2006, Australia
Neuroscience 146:509-14. 2007..Taken together, these results suggest that oxytocin release, stimulated by MDMA through 5-HT(1A) receptors, may play a key role in the prosocial effects of MDMA and underlie some of the reinforcing effects of the drug...
- Neuroanatomical and cellular substrates of hypergrooming induced by microinjection of oxytocin in central nucleus of amygdala, an experimental model of compulsive behaviorS S Marroni
Neurophysiology and Experimental Neuroethology Laboratory, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mol Psychiatry 12:1103-17. 2007....
- Glucocorticoid modulation of atrial natriuretic peptide, oxytocin, vasopressin and Fos expression in response to osmotic, angiotensinergic and cholinergic stimulationF Lauand
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida dos Bandeirantes, 3900 Monte Alegre, CEP 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Neuroscience 147:247-57. 2007..The present data also suggest that these responses are modulated by glucocorticoids...
- Prenatal stress generates deficits in rat social behavior: Reversal by oxytocinPaul R Lee
Program in Neuroscience, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA
Brain Res 1156:152-67. 2007..Furthermore, unpredictable prenatal stress exposure selectively degrades social interaction behaviors without increasing anxiety measures...
- Glucocorticoid modulation of neuronal activity and hormone secretion induced by blood volume expansionS G Ruginsk
Departamento de Fisiologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Exp Neurol 206:192-200. 2007..However, this pattern of response was not observed for AVP cells, suggesting that dexamethasone is not likely to influence rapid release of AVP but seems to modulate the activation of these neurons in response to hypertonic BVE...
- Colocalization of oxytocin and phosphorylated form of elongation factor 2 in the rat hypothalamusToru Fujisawa
Department of Physiology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 61:161-6. 2007..Moreover, phospho-EF2 and OT were colocalized in a part of the neurons in the PVN and SON. These results suggest that OT may be partially translated in the axons of neurons in the PVN and SON, and then secreted from the pituitary...
- Oxytocin ameliorates skin damage and oxidant gastric injury in rats with thermal traumaSevgin Ozlem Iseri
Marmara University, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Haydarpasa, Istanbul 34668, Turkey
Burns 34:361-9. 2008....
- Selective oxytocin receptor activation in the ventrolateral portion of the ventromedial hypothalamus is required for mating-induced pseudopregnancy in the female ratLesley E Northrop
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Endocrinology 149:836-42. 2008..Together, our results suggest that OT release in the VMHvl mediates the effects of VCS on the induction of the PRL secretion needed to establish PSP...
- Oxytocin-induced antinociception in the spinal cord is mediated by a subpopulation of glutamatergic neurons in lamina I-II which amplify GABAergic inhibitionJean Didier Breton
Department Nociception and Pain, Institut des Neurosciences Cellulaires et Integratives, Unité Mixte de Recherche 7168, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Mol Pain 4:19. 2008....
- Oxytocin-induced contractions within rat and rabbit ejaculatory tissues are mediated by vasopressin V1A receptors and not oxytocin receptorsJ Gupta
Discovery Biology, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Sandwich, Kent, UK
Br J Pharmacol 155:118-26. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of oxytocin and AVP on peripheral tissues involved in ejaculation and to identify the receptor subtype(s) involved...
- Postnatal oxytocin treatment of spontaneously hypertensive male rats decreases blood pressure and body weight in adulthoodMaria Petersson
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Neurosci Lett 440:166-9. 2008..128; p=0.10). Heart rate was equal in the two groups. The postnatally oxytocin-treated male SHR had a significantly lower body weight at the age of 5-8 weeks compared to the controls (ANOVA p=0.014)...
- Impact of gestational cocaine treatment or prenatal cocaine exposure on early postpartum oxytocin mRNA levels and receptor binding in the ratM S McMurray
Department of Psychology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 436 Taylor Hall, CB 7096, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuropeptides 42:641-52. 2008....
- Intergenerational effects of cocaine on maternal aggressive behavior and brain oxytocin in rat damsM S McMurray
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Stress 11:398-410. 2008..Higher aggression in cocaine-reared next generation dams was associated with lower levels of oxytocin in the amygdala. Intergenerational effects of cocaine were apparent with respect to aggression and oxytocin system changes...
- Complexity of neural mechanisms underlying overconsumption of sugar in scheduled feeding: involvement of opioids, orexin, oxytocin and NPYPawel K Olszewski
Department of Neuroscience, Functional Pharmacology, Uppsala University, BMC, Uppsala SE 75124, Sweden
Peptides 30:226-33. 2009..We conclude that scheduled consumption of sugar diets is associated with activity of a complex network of neuroregulators involving opioids, orexin, oxytocin and NPY...
- Phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase gene expression in the heart and blood pressure response to oxytocin treatment in rats exposed to voluntary wheel runningJan Bakos
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1148:302-7. 2008..In conclusion, voluntary wheel running failed to modify sensitivity to cardiovascular action of oxytocin but resulted in increased gene expression of PNMT in left, but not right, heart atrium in a running activity-dependent manner...
- Oxytocin pretreatment decreases oxytocin-induced myometrial contractions in pregnant rats in a concentration-dependent but not time-dependent mannerJoyce K R S Magalhaes
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Reprod Sci 16:501-8. 2009....
- Vasopressin administration into the paraventricular nucleus normalizes plasma oxytocin and corticosterone levels in Brattleboro ratsDora Zelena
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Endocrinology 150:2791-8. 2009..Thus, endogenous vasopressin released within the PVN is likely to act as a paracrine signal to facilitate the return of plasma oxytocin and corticosterone to basal levels after acute stressor exposure...
- Differential effect of neocuproine, a copper(I) chelator, on contractile activity in isolated ovariectomized non-pregnant rat, pregnant rat and pregnant human uterusEda Karabal Kumcu
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Eur J Pharmacol 605:158-63. 2009..These findings suggest that neocuproine can affect the uterus contractile activity by modulation purinergic excitatory responses and that copper(I)-sensitive mechanisms may play a role in this effect...
- Estradiol upregulates the expression of oxytocin receptor in colon in ratsMei Feng
Department of Physiology, Medical School of Shandong University, Jinan 250012, China
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E1059-66. 2009..OTR was located in myenteric plexus of colon. These results suggested that E(2) increased the excitatory effect of OT on colon motility by upregulating the expression of OTR in myenteric plexus...
- Oxytocin in the cardiovascular responses to stressA Wsol
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:123-7. 2008..The study provides evidence that stimulation of the brain oxytocin receptors by endogenous oxytocin plays significant role in inhibition of cardiovascular responses to stress...
- Cardiac sympatho-excitatory action of PVN-spinal oxytocin neuronesZhuo Yang
Medical College, University of Nankai, Tianjin 300071, PR China
Auton Neurosci 147:80-5. 2009..v. atropine but were abolished by i.v. esmolol. It is concluded that there is a population of paraventricular-spinal oxytocin neurones that excite cardiac sympathetic preganglionic neurones controlling heart rate...
- Involvement of oxytocin and its receptor in nociceptive modulation in the central nucleus of amygdala of ratsYi Han
Neurobiology Laboratory and State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, People s Republic of China
Neurosci Lett 454:101-4. 2009..The present study demonstrated that oxytocin and its receptors are involved in nociceptive modulation in the CeA of rats...