Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nos1
Description: nitric oxide synthase 1
Alias: bNOS, nitric oxide synthase, brain, N-NOS, NC-NOS, NOS type I, constitutive NOS, nNOS, neuronal NOS, nitric oxidase synthase, nitric oxide synthase 1, neuronal, peptidyl-cysteine S-nitrosylase NOS1
Publications141 found, 100 shown here
- Renal nerves and nNOS: roles in natriuresis of acute isovolumetric sodium loading in conscious ratsElzbieta Kompanowska-Jezierska
Dept of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1130-9. 2008It was hypothesized that renal sympathetic nerve activity (RSNA) and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) are involved in the acute inhibition of renin secretion and the natriuresis following slow NaCl loading (NaLoad) and that RSNA ..
- Involvement of CAPON and nitric oxide synthases in rat muscle regeneration after peripheral nerve injuryMengling Chen
The Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory of Neuroregeneration, Nantong University, Nantong, China
J Mol Neurosci 34:89-100. 2008Carboxy-terminal PDZ ligand of nNOS (CAPON) protein, as an adaptor, binds to nNOS via the PDZ domain helping regulate neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) activity at post-synaptic sites in neurons (Jaffrey et al...
- Altered contractile response due to increased beta3-adrenoceptor stimulation in diabetic cardiomyopathy: the role of nitric oxide synthase 1-derived nitric oxideJulien Amour
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 107:452-60. 2007..The objective of our study was to investigate the role of beta3-adrenoceptor in diabetic cardiomyopathy...
- Effects of doxazosin on blood flow and mRNA expression of nitric oxide synthase in the spontaneously hypertensive rat genitourinary tractMakoto Yono
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Life Sci 81:218-22. 2007..Expression levels of nNOS and eNOS mRNAs were quantified by real-time RT-PCR using SYBR Green I...
- Plasticity of basal ganglia neurocircuitries following perinatal asphyxia: effect of nicotinamideVerena Klawitter
Programme of Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology, ICBM, Medical Faculty, University of Chile, PO Box 70000 Santiago 7, Chile
Exp Brain Res 180:139-52. 2007..with markers against the NMDA receptor subunit NR1, tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), or neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS). Some cultures were analysed for cell viability. Nicotinamide (0.8 mmol/kg, i.p...
- Arginase modulates myocardial contractility by a nitric oxide synthase 1-dependent mechanismJochen Steppan
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4759-64. 2006..Arg II coimmunoprecipited with NOS1 but not NOS3...
- Identification of caveolin-1-interacting sites in neuronal nitric-oxide synthase. Molecular mechanism for inhibition of NO formationYuko Sato
Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8577, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:8827-36. 2004Caveolin is known to down-regulate both neuronal (nNOS) and endothelial nitric-oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Effect of hereditary obesity on renal expressions of NO synthase, caveolin-1, AKt, guanylate cyclase, and calmodulinZhen Li
Renal Service, Hospital Universitario, Universidad del Zulia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Kidney Int 68:2766-72. 2005..renal disease in this model may be associated with down-regulation of endothelial (eNOS) and neuromal NO synthases (nNOS) in the kidney...
- Cloned and expressed nitric oxide synthase structurally resembles cytochrome P-450 reductaseD S Bredt
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Nature 351:714-8. 1991..The only known mammalian enzyme with close homology is cytochrome P-450 reductase...
- Interaction of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase with caveolin-3 in skeletal muscle. Identification of a novel caveolin scaffolding/inhibitory domainV J Venema
Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912
J Biol Chem 272:28187-90. 1997Neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) has been shown previously to interact with alpha1-syntrophin in the dystrophin complex of skeletal muscle...
- CAPON: a protein associated with neuronal nitric oxide synthase that regulates its interactions with PSD95S R Jaffrey
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 20:115-24. 1998Nitric oxide (NO) produced by neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) is important for N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor-dependent neurotransmitter release, neurotoxicity, and cyclic GMP elevations...
- Unexpected modes of PDZ domain scaffolding revealed by structure of nNOS-syntrophin complexB J Hillier
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Science 284:812-5. 1999The PDZ protein interaction domain of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) can heterodimerize with the PDZ domains of postsynaptic density protein 95 and syntrophin through interactions that are not mediated by recognition of a typical ..
- Dexras1: a G protein specifically coupled to neuronal nitric oxide synthase via CAPONM Fang
Department of Neuroscience, School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 28:183-93. 2000..NO signaling may be enhanced by adaptor proteins that couple neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) to specific target proteins...
- Phosphorylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase at Ser847 by CaM-KII in the hippocampus of rat brain after transient forebrain ischemiaKoji Osuka
Department of Neurosurgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 22:1098-106. 2002..CaM)-dependent protein kinase IIalpha (CaM-KIIalpha) can phosphorylate neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) at Ser847 and attenuate NOS activity in neuronal cells...
- 1-Methyl-4-phenylpyridinium-induced apoptosis in cerebellar granule neurons is mediated by transferrin receptor iron-dependent depletion of tetrahydrobiopterin and neuronal nitric-oxide synthase-derived superoxideTiesong Shang
Department of Biophysics and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53226, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19099-112. 2004..Depletion of BH(4) decreased the active, dimeric form of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS). MPP(+)-mediated "uncoupling" of nNOS decreased *NO and increased superoxide formation...
- Transmission of arterial baroreflex signals depends on neuronal nitric oxide synthaseWilliam T Talman
Department of Neurology, Laboratory of Neurobiology, VAMC and University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Hypertension 43:820-4. 2004..These data support the hypothesis and suggest that neuronal nitric oxide synthase is critical to transmission of baroreflex signals through the nucleus tractus solitarii...
- NIDD, a novel DHHC-containing protein, targets neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) to the synaptic membrane through a PDZ-dependent interaction and regulates nNOS activityFuminori Saitoh
Department of Neuroplasticity Institute on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:29461-8. 2004Targeting of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) to appropriate sites in a cell is mediated by interactions with its PDZ domain and plays an important role in specifying the sites of reaction of nitric oxide (NO) in the central nervous ..
- Soluble guanylate cyclase and neuronal nitric oxide synthase colocalize in rat nucleus tractus solitariiL H Lin
Department of Neurology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Chem Neuroanat 29:127-36. 2005..In this study, we tested the hypothesis that neurons and fibers containing neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) lie in close proximity to those containing sGC and the two enzymes colocalize in some neurons and fibers in the ..
- Up-regulated expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in experimental diabetic retinaJun won Park
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, Seoul 137 701, Korea
Neurobiol Dis 21:43-9. 2006..This study investigated the differential expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat retina to clarify the involvement of NO produced from neurons in the ..
- C-terminal tail residue Arg1400 enables NADPH to regulate electron transfer in neuronal nitric-oxide synthaseMauro Tiso
Department of Immunology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39208-19. 2005The neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) flavoprotein domain (nNOSr) contains regulatory elements that repress its electron flux in the absence of bound calmodulin (CaM)...
- Angiotensin II inhibits neuronal nitric oxide synthase activation through the ERK1/2-RSK signaling pathway to modulate central control of blood pressureWen Han Cheng
Department of Medical Education and Research, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, 386 Ta Chung 1st Rd, Kaohsiung, Taiwan 813, Republic of China
Circ Res 106:788-95. 2010..However, the signaling mechanisms of Ang II that induce hypertension remain unclear...
- Protein kinase A-dependent neuronal nitric oxide synthase activation mediates the enhancement of baroreflex response by adrenomedullin in the nucleus tractus solitarii of ratsDavid H T Yen
Institute of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 18:32. 2011..the receptor-mediated enzymatic mechanisms that involve protein kinase A (PKA), or neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)...
- Calcium-permeable α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptors trigger neuronal nitric-oxide synthase activation to promote nerve cell death in an Src kinase-dependent fashionRenato Socodato
Program of Neurosciences and Department of Neurobiology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, 24020 971, Brazil
J Biol Chem 287:38680-94. 2012..Interestingly, experiments confirmed that neuronal NOS was activated in response to calcium-permeable AMPA receptor stimulation...
- Bidirectional regulation of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase phosphorylation at serine 847 by the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptorGerald A Rameau
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Biol Chem 279:14307-14. 2004At glutamatergic synapses, the scaffolding protein PSD95 links the neuronal isoform of nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) to the N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor...
- Coordination of fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) trafficking to nuclei of reactive astrocytes around cerebral lesions in adult ratsW E Clarke
Department of Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Neurosci 17:17-30. 2001..However, the precise contribution of nuclear FGF-2/FGFR1 to the pathophysiological response of astrocytes after injury is undetermined...
- Heat-shock protein 90 augments neuronal nitric oxide synthase activity by enhancing Ca2+/calmodulin bindingY Song
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Biochem J 355:357-60. 2001Heat-shock protein 90 (hsp90) has been shown to facilitate neuronal NO synthase (nNOS, type 1) activity in vivo. But the direct effect of hsp90 on purified nNOS has not been determined yet...
- Distribution and changes with age of nitric oxide synthase-immunoreactive nerves of the rat urinary bladder, ureter and in lumbosacral sensory neuronsH Mohammed
School of Biosciences, University of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Eur J Morphol 39:137-44. 2001..These findings suggest that the effects of NO on the bladder and distal ureteric musculature and also its expression in dorsal root ganglion neurons are affected in aged rats and that the micturition reflex may be perturbed as a result...
- Enhanced expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase and phospholipase C-gamma1 in regenerating murine neuronal cells by pulsed electromagnetic fieldSung Sook Kim
Department of Pathology, Ulsan University College of Medicine, Korea
Exp Mol Med 34:53-9. 2002..In the present study we investigated the expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) and phospholipase C-gamma1 (PLC-gamma1) in regenerating rat laryngeal nerves during the exposure to PEMF after ..
- Spatial and temporal correlation of nitric oxide synthase expression with CuZn-superoxide dismutase reduction in motor neurons following axotomyWan Hua Amy Yu
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomical Sciences, City University of New York Medical School, New York, New York 10031, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 962:111-21. 2002Axotomized neurons expressing neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) may use nitric oxide (NO), known for its antioxidant activities and ability to scavenge free radicals, to protect against oxidative stress...
- Stopped-flow kinetic studies of electron transfer in the reductase domain of neuronal nitric oxide synthase: re-evaluation of the kinetic mechanism reveals new enzyme intermediates and variation with cytochrome P450 reductaseKirsty Knight
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, U K
Biochem J 367:19-30. 2002..FMN redox centres in the isolated flavin reductase domain of calmodulin-bound rat neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) has been studied by anaerobic stopped-flow spectroscopy using absorption and fluorescence detection...
- Nitrergic dendrites in the superficial layers of the rat superior colliculus: retinal afferents and alternatively spliced isoforms in normal and deafferented animalsClaudia M C Batista
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, ICB, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Neurosci Res 71:455-61. 2003..We have used immunocytochemistry for neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) at light and electron microscopic levels and bilateral eye enucleation with varied survival times to determine the ..
- Nitric oxide synthase expressions in rat dorsal root ganglion after a hind limb tourniquetSumiko Abe
Department of Legal Medicine, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Neuroreport 14:2267-70. 2003We investigated the mRNA levels of neuronal, inducible, endothelial nitric oxide synthases (nNOS, iNOS, eNOS) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) in a rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) after tourniquet application to a hind limb to ..
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase inhibition sensitizes the tubuloglomerular feedback mechanism after volume expansionRussell Brown
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Division of Integrative Physiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Kidney Int 65:1349-56. 2004In the kidney the neuronal isoform of nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) is located in the macula densa cells. These cells are known to be the sensor in the tubuloglomerular feedback...
- Effects of nNOS antisense in the paraventricular nucleus on blood pressure and heart rate in rats with heart failureYu Wang
Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 4575, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H205-13. 2005Using neuronal NO synthase (nNOS)-specific antisense oligonucleotides, we examined the role of nitric oxide (NO) in the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) on control of blood pressure and heart rate (HR) in conscious sham rats and rats with ..
- Evidence of involvement of the nNOS and the kappa-opioid receptor in the same intracellular network of the rat periaqueductal gray that controls morphine tolerance and dependenceLuis A Herraez-Baranda
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Campus Unamuno, Avenue Alfonso X el Sabio s n, Salamanca 37007, Spain
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 137:166-73. 2005..Besides, we examined the colocalization of both molecules. Our results point to an involvement of KOR and nNOS in the same intracellular network that controls the development of morphine tolerance and dependence.
- Vascular neuronal NO synthase is selectively upregulated by platelet-derived growth factor: involvement of the MEK/ERK pathwaySei Nakata
Second Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2502-8. 2005..In this study, we examined the molecular mechanism(s) for vascular neuronal NOS (nNOS) expression.
- Autonomic regulation of pacemaker activity: role of heart nitric oxide synthasesAndrea L Fellet
Department of Physiology, Laboratory of Free Radical Biology, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1246-54. 2006..The observations suggest that NO-mediated pathways contribute to pacemaker heart activity, likely through the NO steady-state levels in the right atrium and the whole heart...
- The participation of brain NO synthase in blood pressure control of adult spontaneously hypertensive ratsSilvie Hojna
Institute of Physiology AS CR, Charles University, Videnska 1083, 142 20, Prague 4, Czech Republic
Mol Cell Biochem 297:21-9. 2007..We have therefore evaluated NO synthase (NOS) activity as well as neuronal NOS (nNOS), inducible NOS (iNOS) and endothelial NOS (eNOS) protein expression in brainstem and midbrain of adult ..
- Embryonic motor neuron dendrite growth is stunted by inhibition of nitric oxide-dependent activation of soluble guanylyl cyclase and protein kinase GGuoxiang Xiong
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 3615 Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Eur J Neurosci 25:1987-97. 2007We have examined the participation of a neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) signaling pathway in the elaboration of motor neuron dendrites during embryonic life...
- Frontal cortical afferents facilitate striatal nitric oxide transmission in vivo via a NMDA receptor and neuronal NOS-dependent mechanismStephen Sammut
Department of Neuroscience, The Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
J Neurochem 103:1145-56. 2007..Thus, NO signaling may act to amplify coherent corticostriatal transmission and synchronize striatal output...
- Catalytic reduction of a tetrahydrobiopterin radical within nitric-oxide synthaseChin Chuan Wei
Department of Pathobiology, The Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 283:11734-42. 2008..We investigated radical reduction during a single turnover Arg hydroxylation reaction catalyzed by neuronal NOS to document the process, determine its kinetics, and test for involvement of the NOS flavoprotein domain...
- Effect of tanshinone on the levels of nitric oxide synthase and acetylcholinesterase in the brain of Alzheimer's disease rat modelYou Yin
Department of Neurology, Changzheng Hospital of Second Military Medical University, 415 Fengyang Road, Shanghai, 200003, China
Clin Invest Med 31:E248-57. 2008..To determine the influence of tanshinone on the levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and acetylcholinesterase (AChE) in the brain of an Alzheimer's Disease (AD) rat model and on its potential therapeutic mechanism...
- Lys842 in neuronal nitric-oxide synthase enables the autoinhibitory insert to antagonize calmodulin binding, increase FMN shielding, and suppress interflavin electron transferZhi Wen Guan
Department of Pathobiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 285:3064-75. 2010Neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) contains a unique autoinhibitory insert (AI) in its FMN subdomain that represses nNOS reductase activities and controls the calcium sensitivity of calmodulin (CaM) binding to nNOS...
- Role of HSP-90 for increased nNOS-mediated vasodilation in mesenteric arteries in portal hypertensionLukas Moleda
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Medical Center, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 16:1837-44. 2010..To explore the role of heat shock protein-90 (HSP-90) for nitrergic vasorelaxation in the splanchnic circulation in rats with and without portal hypertension...
- A quantitative study of neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in laminae I-III of the rat spinal dorsal hornT C P Sardella
Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology, West Medical Building, University Avenue, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
Neuroscience 192:708-20. 2011Nitric oxide produced by neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the spinal cord is required for development of hyperalgesia in inflammatory and neuropathic pain states...
- Effects of chronic heart failure on neuronal nitric oxide synthase-mediated control of microvascular O2 pressure in contracting rat skeletal muscleSteven W Copp
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506 5802, USA
J Physiol 590:3585-96. 2012..It is unknown whether nNOS-mediated PO(2)mv regulation is altered in CHF...
- Decreased expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the nucleus tractus solitarii inhibits sympathetically mediated baroreflex responses in ratLi Hsien Lin
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology, Roy and Lucille Carver College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Physiol 590:3545-59. 2012Despite numerous studies it remains controversial whether nitric oxide (NO·) synthesized by neuronal NOS (nNOS) plays an excitatory or inhibitory role in transmission of baroreflex signals in the nucleus tractus solitarii (NTS)...
- The anti-cancer agent SU4312 unexpectedly protects against MPP(+) -induced neurotoxicity via selective and direct inhibition of neuronal NOSWei Cui
Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, Institute of Modern Medicine, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China
Br J Pharmacol 168:1201-14. 2013..In this study, we assessed neuroprotection by SU4312 against 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium ion (MPP(+) )-induced neurotoxicity and further explored the underlying mechanisms...
- Ubiquitination of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase in the calmodulin-binding site triggers proteasomal degradation of the proteinKelly M Clapp
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42601-10. 2012..Our laboratory has discovered that certain drugs suicide-inactivate neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) and lead to the preferential ubiquitination of the inactivated nNOS by an Hsp70- and CHIP (C terminus of Hsc70-..
- Bladder outlet obstruction triggers neural plasticity in sensory pathways and contributes to impaired sensitivity in erectile dysfunctionAnna P Malykhina
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Glenolden, PA, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 304:R837-45. 2013..A significant decrease in neuronal NOS expression, but not in endothelial NOS or protein kinase G (PKG-1), was detected in the CCSM of the obstructed ..
- EUK-134 ameliorates nNOSμ translocation and skeletal muscle fiber atrophy during short-term mechanical unloadingJohn M Lawler
Redox Biology and Cell Signaling Laboratory, Department of Health and Kinesiology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 306:R470-82. 2014..An emerging signaling event in response to unloading is the translocation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOSμ) from the sarcolemma to the cytosol...
- Effect of 7-nitroindazole, a neuronal nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, on behavioral and physiological parametersC Brožíčková
Institute of Physiology Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 63:637-48. 2014..Therefore, under nNOS inhibition by 7-nitroindazole (7-NI) we carried out recordings of blood gasses, blood pressure and spontaneous EEG ..
- Bone morphogenetic protein 2 regulates the differentiation of nitrergic enteric neurons by modulating Smad1 signaling in slow transit constipationXuliang Liu
Department of General Surgery, the Second Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250033, P R China
Mol Med Rep 12:6547-54. 2015..enteric neurons in slow transit constipation (STC), the expression of BMP‑2 and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) was investigated in the myenteric nerve plexus in STC and control tissues by immunohistochemical assays...
- Effect of chronic hypoxia on penile erectile function in ratsD P Yu
Department of Urology, The First People s Hospital of Jining City in Shandong Province, Jining, Shandong, China
Genet Mol Res 14:10482-9. 2015..Affinity purification was used to detect neural nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)-positive nerve fibers and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression...
- Chronic Cigarette Smoking Impairs Erectile Function through Increased Oxidative Stress and Apoptosis, Decreased nNOS, Endothelial and Smooth Muscle Contents in a Rat ModelYun Ching Huang
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 10:e0140728. 2015..Corporal tissue was assessed by Western blot for neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS). Penile tissues were subjected to immunohistochemistry for endothelial, smooth muscle, and apoptotic content...
- Nitric oxide prevents phosphorylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase at serine1412 by inhibiting the Akt/PKB and CaM-K II signaling pathwaysTao Song
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, P R China
Int J Mol Med 30:15-20. 2012Neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) is an important regulatory enzyme in the central nervous system catalyzing the production of NO, which regulates multiple biological processes in the central nervous system...
- Nitric oxide synthase 1 as a potential modifier gene of decline in lung function in patients with cystic fibrosisJ Texereau
Service de Physiologie Explorations Fonctionnelles, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Universite Paris 5, Paris, France
Thorax 59:156-8. 2004..The nitric oxide synthase 1 (NOS1) gene is a candidate for this role because exhaled nitric oxide (NO) is reduced in patients with CF and NOS1 ..
- Upregulation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the periphery promotes pain hypersensitivity after peripheral nerve injuryK H Kim
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 799, South Korea
Neuroscience 190:367-78. 2011..Several studies suggest a functional role for neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the development or maintenance of neuropathic pain, but such a contribution remains unclear...
- Structure and dynamics of calmodulin (CaM) bound to nitric oxide synthase peptides: effects of a phosphomimetic CaM mutationMichael Piazza
Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Biochemistry 51:3651-61. 2012..Y99E CaM significantly reduces the maximal synthase activity of eNOS by 40% while having little effect on nNOS or iNOS activity...
- Dual action of NO synthases on blood flow and infarct volume consecutive to neonatal focal cerebral ischemiaPhilippe Bonnin
Univ Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, AP HP, Hopital Lariboisiere, Physiologie Clinique Explorations Fonctionnelles, 75010 Paris, France
Exp Neurol 236:50-7. 2012..These changes were associated with decreased phosphorylation of neuronal NOS at Ser(847) in males and increased phosphorylation in females at 24h, respectively...
- [Effect of electroacupuncture on expression of spinal neuronal nitric oxide synthase protein and mRNA in rats with neuropathic pain]Li Ping Yan
Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory of Acupuncturology, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing 210029, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 37:345-50. 2012To observe the effect of electroacupuncture (EA) on expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) protein and mRNA in the spinal cord in rats with chronic constrictive injury (CCI) of the sciatic nerve so as to explore its ..
- Increased neuronal nitric oxide synthase dimerisation is involved in rat and human pancreatic beta cell hyperactivity in obesityK Mezghenna
University Montpellier 1, CNRS FRE 3400, Centre for Pharmacology and Innovation in Diabetes CPID, Faculte de Pharmacie, 15 Avenue Charles Flahault, BP 14491, 34093 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Diabetologia 54:2856-66. 2011..Our aim was to investigate whether changes in neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) function affect beta cell compensation in two relevant models: the Zucker fa/fa rats and pancreatic islets from ..
- N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-dependent denitrosylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase increase the enzyme activityZhong Wei Qu
Research Center of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Brain Disease Bioinformation, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e52788. 2012Our laboratory once reported that neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) S-nitrosylation was decreased in rat hippocampus during cerebral ischemia-reperfusion, but the underlying mechanism was unclear...
- Phosphorylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase at Ser1412 in the dentate gyrus of rat brain after transient forebrain ischemiaKoji Osuka
Department of Neurological Surgery, Aichi Medical University, 1 1 Karimata Yazako, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
Neurochem Int 63:269-74. 2013..NOS was partially purified from crude samples using ADP agarose gel. Neuronal NOS, phosphorylated (p)-nNOS at Ser(1412), PKA, and p-PKA at Thr(197) were studied in the rat hippocampus and ..
- Functionally important role for arginase 1 in the airway hyperresponsiveness of asthmaMichelle L North
Institutes of Medical Sciences, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296:L911-20. 2009..However, ARG2, NOS1, NOS2, and agmatinase were also increased, whereas NOS3 expression was decreased...
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase mediates the effect of ethanol on IgAMirela Budec
University of Belgrade, Institute for Medical Research, Dr Subotica 4, Belgrade 102, Serbia
Alcohol Alcohol 48:53-8. 2013..To extend these findings, this study was designed to investigate a possible role of neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) in the observed phenomenon, using 7-nitroindazole (7-NI), a selective inhibitor of its activity.
- Nitric oxide synthase from rat colorectum: purification, peptide sequencing, partial PCR cloning, and immunohistochemistryH G Seo
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Medical School
J Biochem 115:602-7. 1994....
- The identification of the pterin-binding domain in the nitric oxide synthase's sequence- Uvarov VYu
Institute of Biomedical Chemistry, Moscow, Russia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 206:736-41. 1995..Pairwise alignment of amino acids sequences of NOS from rat brain and rat xantine dehydrogenase revealed that the two proteins are 39.7% identical...
- A neuronal NO synthase (NOS1) gene polymorphism is associated with asthmaH Grasemann
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 272:391-4. 2000..Among the candidate genes in this region for asthma is neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS1)...
- Unusual role of Tyr588 of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in controlling substrate specificity and electron transferY Sato
Institute for Chemical Reaction Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, 980 8577, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 281:621-6. 2001..group of l-Arg hydrogen bonds to the hydroxyl group of the conserved Tyr588 residue in the heme distal site of neuronal NOS (nNOS)...
- Crystal structure of the FAD/NADPH-binding domain of rat neuronal nitric-oxide synthase. Comparisons with NADPH-cytochrome P450 oxidoreductaseJ Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Biol Chem 276:37506-13. 2001..A comparison of the structure of the neuronal NOS FAD/NADPH domain and CYPOR reveals the strict conservation of the flavin-binding site, including the tightly ..
- Nitric oxide affects the phosphorylation state of microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2) and neurofilament: an immunocytochemical study in the brain of rats and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)-knockoutsFritz Rothe
Institute of Medical Neurobiology, University of Magdeburg, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Nitric Oxide 6:9-17. 2002..Neurons that are strongly positive for neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)-immunoreactivity (IR) showed, interestingly, neither P-NF- nor MAP-2-IR...
- Interactions between the isolated oxygenase and reductase domains of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase: assessing the role of calmodulinElena A Rozhkova
Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8577, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:16888-94. 2002..NO formation activity in reconstituted systems consisting of the isolated oxygenase and reductase domains of neuronal NOS with and without the CaM binding site...
- Nasal nitric oxide levels in cystic fibrosis patients are associated with a neuronal NO synthase (NOS1) gene polymorphismH Grasemann
Children s Hospital, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Nitric Oxide 6:236-41. 2002..and molecular source of the NO formation in airways is unknown, there is recent evidence that neuronal NO synthase (NOS1) contributes significantly to NO in the lower airways of cystic fibrosis (CF) patients...
- Effects of long-term inhibition of neuronal nitric oxide synthase on blood pressure and renin releaseA Ollerstam
Department of Physiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Acta Physiol Scand 173:351-8. 2001Nitric oxide (NO) produced by neuronal NO-synthase (nNOS) in macula densa cells may be involved in the control of renin release...
- Calmodulin activates electron transfer through neuronal nitric-oxide synthase reductase domain by releasing an NADPH-dependent conformational lockDaniel H Craig
Department of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, King s Buildings, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JJ, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:33987-94. 2002Neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) is activated by the Ca(2+)-dependent binding of calmodulin (CaM) to a characteristic polypeptide linker connecting the oxygenase and reductase domains...
- Inhibition of superoxide generation from neuronal nitric oxide synthase by heat shock protein 90: implications in NOS regulationYao Song
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Biochemistry 41:10616-22. 2002Besides NO, neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) also produces superoxide (O(2)(-.) at low levels of L-arginine. Recently, heat shock protein 90 (hsp90) was shown to facilitate NO synthesis from eNOS and nNOS...
- The modulation of mitochondrial nitric-oxide synthase activity in rat brain developmentNatalia A Riobo
Laboratory of Oxygen Metabolism, University Hospital, Av Cordoba 2351, 1120 Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Biol Chem 277:42447-55. 2002..This temporal pattern was opposite to that of the cytosolic 157-kDa nNOS protein...
- Vasculoprotective roles of neuronal nitric oxide synthaseTsuyoshi Morishita
Second Department of Internal Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Kitakyushu, Japan
FASEB J 16:1994-6. 2002..NOS (iNOS) on the development of atherosclerosis have been described, little is known about the role of neuronal NOS (nNOS). Here, we show that nNOS also exerts important vasculoprotective effects in vivo...
- Co-localisation of nitric oxide synthase and endothelin in the rat supraoptic nucleusAndrew B Mukherjee
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University College London, Gower Street, London WCIE 6BT, UK
Histochem J 34:181-7. 2002..The findings are discussed in terms of the possible role and significance of nitric oxide and endothlin-1 in the hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system...
- Upregulation of NMDA receptor and neuronal NADPH-d/NOS expression in the nodose ganglion of acute hypoxic ratsHung Ming Chang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, 1, Section 1, Jen Ai Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Chem Neuroanat 25:137-47. 2003..of cardiorespiratory function via the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor-mediated neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) activation...
- Brain nitric oxide synthase activity in spontaneously hypertensive rats during the development of hypertensionFatimunnisa Qadri
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lubeck, Lubeck, Germany
J Hypertens 21:1687-94. 2003Blockade of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the brain induced an increase in mean arterial pressure of spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR)...
- Aging increases neuronal nitric oxide release and superoxide anion generation in mesenteric arteries from spontaneously hypertensive ratsMercedes Ferrer
Departamentos de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Vasc Res 40:509-19. 2003..This induced decreased NO bioavailability through peroxynitrite formation. The final effect is to decrease the involvement of neuronal NO in electrical field stimulation-induced vasomotor response in arteries from old SHR rats...
- Unique levels of expression of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunits and neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the rostral ventrolateral medulla of the spontaneously hypertensive ratMark A Edwards
Division of Health Sciences, Murdoch University, Perth, WA 6150, Australia
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 129:33-43. 2004..NR1 splice variants (NR1-1a/1b, -2a/2b, -3a/3b, -4a/4b), and the neuronal and inducible isoforms of NO synthase (nNOS and iNOS) in the RVLM of Wistar Kyoto (WKY) and spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR), based on the hypothesis that ..
- Altered expression of angiotensin AT1a and vasopressin V1a receptors and nitric oxide synthase mRNA in the brain of rats with renovascular hypertensionE Jackiewicz
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Medical University of Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmieście 26 28 str, 00 927 Warsaw, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 55:725-37. 2004..AT1a angiotensin receptors (AT1aR) mRNA, V1a vasopressin receptors (V1aR) mRNA and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS1) mRNA is altered in the brain of rats with the renovascular hypertension...
- 1400W, a potent selective inducible NOS inhibitor, improves histopathological outcome following traumatic brain injury in ratsM Jafarian-Tehrani
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie UPRES EA 2510, Universite Rene Descartes, 4, avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Nitric Oxide 12:61-9. 2005..and protein synthesis were constant in the cortex of injured rats from 24 to 72 h, while Ca2+-dependent constitutive NOS activity was markedly decreased at 24 h, persisting up to 72 h...
- A tryptophan that modulates tetrahydrobiopterin-dependent electron transfer in nitric oxide synthase regulates enzyme catalysis by additional mechanismsZhi Qiang Wang
Department of Immunology, The Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Biochemistry 44:4676-90. 2005..generated and characterized the W457A mutant of inducible NOS and the corresponding W678A and W678F mutants of neuronal NOS. Mutant defects in protein solubility and dimerization were overcome by purifying them in the presence of ..
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase and gonadal steroid interaction in the MPOA of male rats: co-localization and testosterone-induced restoration of copulation and nNOS-immunoreactivitySatoru Sato
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Buffalo, New York 14260 4110, USA
Brain Res 1043:205-13. 2005Neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the medial preoptic area (MPOA) has been implicated in various physiological functions, including male rat copulation...
- Transcriptional up-regulation of nNOS in the dorsal vagal complex during low endotoxemiaElsa Quintana
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Life Sci 77:1044-54. 2005The present study analyses the expression and distribution of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in the brainstem of animals pre-treated with Escherichia coli or Helicobacter pylori LPS, at doses that modulate gastric motor function...
- Oxygen consumption in the kidney: effects of nitric oxide synthase isoforms and angiotensin IIAihua Deng
Division of Nephrology Hypertension, University of California, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Kidney Int 68:723-30. 2005..Effects of NOS inhibition in the rat, the role of Ang II and the responsible NOS isoform have not been elucidated...
- Nitric oxide synthase localization in the rat neutrophils: immunocytochemical, molecular, and biochemical studiesR Saini
Cardiovascular Pharmacology Unit, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226001, India
J Leukoc Biol 79:519-28. 2006..transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction using NOS primers and Western blotting demonstrated the presence of neuronal NOS (nNOS) and inducible NOS (iNOS) in PMNs...
- Effect of apocynin treatment on renal expression of COX-2, NOS1, and renin in Wistar-Kyoto and spontaneously hypertensive ratsA Paliege
Medical Faculty of the Charite, Department of Vegetative Anatomy, Berlin, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R694-700. 2006Macula densa (MD) cells of the juxtaglomerular apparatus (JGA) synthesize type 1 nitric oxide synthase (NOS1) and type 2 cyclooxygenase (COX-2)...
- Regulation of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase activity by somatostatin analogs following SST5 somatostatin receptor activationPierre Cordelier
INSERM U531, IFR31, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Rangueil, 31432 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Biol Chem 281:19156-71. 2006..cell proliferation induced by nitric oxide donors and overexpression of the neuronal nitric-oxide synthase (nNOS) protein isoform...
- Total sleep deprivation inhibits the neuronal nitric oxide synthase and cytochrome oxidase reactivities in the nodose ganglion of adult ratsHung Ming Chang
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, and Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Anat 209:239-50. 2006..nicotinamine adenine dinucleotide phosphate-diaphorase (NADPH-d, a co-factor of NOS) histochemistry, neuronal NOS immunohistochemistry and neuronal NOS activity assay...
- Surface charge interactions of the FMN module govern catalysis by nitric-oxide synthaseKoustubh Panda
Department of Pathobiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36819-27. 2006..the roles of six electronegative surface residues of the FMN module in electron transfer and catalysis in neuronal NOS. Results are interpreted in light of crystal structures of NOS and related flavoproteins...
- Role of Asp1393 in catalysis, flavin reduction, NADP(H) binding, FAD thermodynamics, and regulation of the nNOS flavoproteinDavid W Konas
Department of Pathobiology, The Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Biochemistry 45:12596-609. 2006Nitric oxide synthases (NOS) are flavoheme enzymes with important roles in biology. The reductase domain of neuronal NOS (nNOSr) contains a widely conserved acidic residue (Asp(1393)) that is thought to facilitate hydride transfer between ..
- Characterization of signaling pathway for the translocation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase to the plasma membrane by PACAPTakayuki Ohnishi
Department of Medical Chemistry, Kansai Medical University, Fumizono, Moriguchi, Japan
J Neurochem 105:2271-85. 2008In the central nervous system, the activation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) is closely associated with activation of NMDA receptor, and trafficking of nNOS may be a prerequisite for efficient NO production at synapses...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase appears and is co-expressed with the neuronal isoform in interneurons of the rat hippocampus after transient ischemia induced by middle cerebral artery occlusionLetizia Corsani
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Forensic Medicine, Section of Histology, University of Florence, Viale G Pieraccini 6, Florence, Italy
Exp Neurol 211:433-40. 2008..No information is available on the presence of nNOS-immunoreactive (IR) neurons in the hippocampus of ischemic animals; whereas, the presence of the iNOS protein has ..
- Glutathione and copper, zinc superoxide dismutase are modulated by overexpression of neuronal nitric oxide synthaseSara Baldelli
Department of Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via della Ricerca Scientifica 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:2660-70. 2008This study examines the effects of neuronal nitric oxide overexpression (nNOS) in neuronal and non-neuronal cell lines...
- Splice variants of neuronal nitric oxide synthase are present in the rat kidneyCheryl Smith
Department of Physiology and Functional Genomics, University of Florida, POB 100274, Gainesville, FL 36210, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1422-8. 2009Decreased renal cortical neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) abundance/activity correlates with progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in a number of animal models.
- Contribution of endothelin A receptors in endothelin 1-dependent natriuresis in female ratsDaisuke Nakano
Vascular Biology Center, Medical College of Georgia, 1459 Laney Walker Blvd, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Hypertension 53:324-30. 2009..These findings provide a possible mechanism for why premenopausal women are more resistant to salt-dependent hypertension...
- Cardiovascular Response to Glutamate Nitric OxideWILLIAM TALMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..in the nucleus tractus solitarii (NTS) of rats and have identified strong associations between glutamate and nNOS and between each of the receptor types and nNOS in NTS...
- Neural Control of Sodium Balance in Hypertension: ExerciseNoreen Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2009..approach as well as in vivo transfer of dominant negative constructs for neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) into the PVN in sedentary and exercise trained sham-clipped and 2K-1C HTN rats and ascertain their hemodynamic ..
- NO SYNTHASE AND OXIDANT INJURY IN AGING VASCULATUREYong Xia; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will greatly increase our understanding of the basic mechanisms of aging-associated endothelial dysfunction and injury and may lead to new therapeutical approaches. ..
- Interaction of age and gender on NO bioavailabilityJennifer Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will then determine the affects of age and gender on antioxidant systems and the sources of oxidative stress in the mesenteric vasculature. ..
- Neural Circulatory Control: Pregnancy & Ovarian HormonesCHERYL HEESCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Superoxide Generation from Endothelial NO SynthaseYong Xia; Fiscal Year: 2007..O2- generation from eNOS is regulated. This information may lead to new approaches to treat endothelial dysfunction and prevent cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Nephrology Training GrantScott Thomson; Fiscal Year: 2008..An interactive research environment and shared seminar programs between UCSD, Salk Institute, and numerous other research institutes in La Jolla further enhances the training program. ..