Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mgp
Description: matrix Gla protein
Alias: Mglap, matrix Gla protein
- Matrix Gla protein is involved in crystal formation in kidney of hyperoxaluric ratsXiuli Lu
School of Life Sciences, Liaoning University, Shenyang 110036, China
Kidney Blood Press Res 37:15-23. 2013b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is a molecular determinant regulating vascular calcification of the extracellular matrix. However, it is still unclear how MGP may be involved in crystal formation in the kidney of hyperoxaluric rats.
- Quercetin attenuates warfarin-induced vascular calcification in vitro independently from matrix Gla proteinKelly E Beazley
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 288:2632-40. 2013..can stimulate vascular calcification in vitro via activation of β-catenin signaling and/or inhibition of matrix Gla protein (MGP) carboxylation...
- Decreased expression of γ-carboxylase in diabetes-associated arterial stiffness: impact on matrix Gla proteinMarielle Doyon
Faculty of Pharmacy, Universite de Montreal, 2900 Edouard Montpetit, Room 2143, P O Box 6128, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 97:331-8. 2013..VKOR) reduces the vitamin K required by γ-carboxylase to activate matrix γ-carboxyglutamic acid (Gla) protein (MGP), an inhibitor of vascular calcification...
- Matrix Gla protein is associated with coronary artery calcification as assessed by electron-beam computed tomographyShuichi Jono
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Thromb Haemost 91:790-4. 2004b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is an extracellular matrix protein with wide tissue distribution...
- Matrix Gla protein metabolism in vascular smooth muscle and role in uremic vascular calcificationKoba A Lomashvili
Department of Medicine, Renal Division, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 286:28715-22. 2011b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is an inhibitor of vascular calcification but its mechanism of action and pathogenic role are unclear. This was examined in cultured rat aortas and in a model of vascular calcification in rats with renal failure...
- Effect of calcium and the calcimimetic AMG 641 on matrix-Gla protein in vascular smooth muscle cellsFrancisco J Mendoza
Departamento de Medicina y Cirugia Animal, Universidad de Cordoba, Campus Universitario Rabanales, Spain
Calcif Tissue Int 88:169-78. 2011..of calcium and the calcimimetic AMG 641 on arterial wall and isolated VSMC expression of matrix-Gla protein (MGP)...
- Matrix Gla protein expression in NRK-52E cells exposed to oxalate and calcium oxalate monohydrate crystalsBing Gao
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Shenyang Medical College, Shenyang, China
Urol Int 85:237-41. 2010b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP), a potent calcification inhibitor in extracellular matrix, is a molecular determinant regulating vascular calcification...
- Upregulation of cardiac matrix Gla protein expression in response to hypertrophic stimuliErja Mustonen
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Blood Press 18:286-93. 2009b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) expression is increased in cardiac hypertrophy, but the precise mechanisms regulating its expression are unknown...
- Intermedin inhibits vascular calcification by increasing the level of matrix gamma-carboxyglutamic acid proteinYan Cai
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100191, China
Cardiovasc Res 85:864-73. 2010..Here, we investigated the expression of the novel peptide intermedin (IMD) in the vasculature, tested its ability to prevent VC in vivo and in vitro, and examined the mechanism involved...
- Gene expression profiling to identify markers associated with deregulated hTERT in HPV-transformed keratinocytes and cervical cancerJillian de Wilde
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 122:877-88. 2008..For 2 of these genes, encoding AQP3 and MGP, altered expression in hTERT positive cervical carcinomas was confirmed by real-time RT-PCR and ..
- Regression of warfarin-induced medial elastocalcinosis by high intake of vitamin K in ratsLeon J Schurgers
Cardiovascular Research Institute CARIM, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Blood 109:2823-31. 2007..b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is a potent inhibitor of AC, and its activity depends on vitamin K (VK)...
- Matrix Gla protein is associated with risk factors for atherosclerosis but not with coronary artery calcificationChristopher J O'Donnell
Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mt Wayte Ave, Suite 2, Framingham, MA 01702, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2769-74. 2006..b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is an inhibitor of calcification in vivo...
- Thyroid hormone targets matrix Gla protein gene associated with vascular smooth muscle calcificationYoji Sato
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapy Products, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo 158 8501, Japan
Circ Res 97:550-7. 2005..RT-PCRs revealed that a physiological concentration of T3 (15 pmol/L free T3) increased mRNA level of matrix Gla protein (MGP), which acts as a potent inhibitor of vascular calcification in vivo, by 3-fold in RAOSMCs, as well as ..
- Matrix Gla protein C-terminal region binds to vitronectin. Co-localization suggests binding occurs during tissue developmentSatoru K Nishimoto
Department of Molecular Sciences, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center, 858 Madison Avenue, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Matrix Biol 24:353-61. 2005b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) regulates calcification in cartilage and arteries...
- Relationship between immunological rejection and matrix GLA protein in cryopreserved vascular allograftsT Kiji
Department of Surgery III, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Transplant Proc 36:2415-7. 2004..Recent attention has been focused on the inhibitory effect of matrix Gla protein (MGP) on ectopic vascular calcification, but the behavior of MGP in cryopreserved allografts is uncertain...
- Matrix GLA protein modulates branching morphogenesis in fetal rat lungKirk A Gilbert
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 Univ Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 286:L1179-87. 2004The regulation of matrix gamma-carboxyglutamic acid protein (MGP) expression during the process of lung branching morphogenesis and development was investigated...
- Expression of the matrix Gla protein in urogenital malignanciesE N Levedakou
Department of Medicine, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599
Int J Cancer 52:534-7. 1992b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP), is a vitamin-K-dependent protein which is synthesized in a variety of tissues such as lung, heart, kidney, cartilage and bone. The function of MGP in these tissues is unclear...
- Matrix Gla protein (MGP) and bone morphogenetic protein-2 in aortic calcified lesions of aging ratsA Sweatt
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Thromb Haemost 1:178-85. 2003The vitamin K-dependent protein, matrix Gla protein (MGP) is a binding protein for bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2)...
- Glucocorticoid effects on vitamin K-dependent carboxylase activity and matrix Gla protein expression in rat lungKirk A Gilbert
Dept of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, H 166, The Pennsylvania State Univ College of Medicine, 500 Univ Dr, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L569-77. 2003..b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP), a vitamin K-dependent protein known to be synthesized in type II cells, was also found in fetal ..
- Biochemical characterization of the serum fetuin-mineral complexPaul A Price
Division of Biology 0368, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0368, USA
J Biol Chem 278:22153-60. 2003..complex (FMC), a high molecular mass complex of calcium phosphate mineral and the proteins fetuin and matrix Gla protein (MGP) that was initially discovered in serum of rats treated with etidronate and appears to play a critical ..
- Matrix Gla protein accumulates at the border of regions of calcification and normal tissue in the media of the arterial vessel wallH M Spronk
Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:485-90. 2001Vitamin K-dependent matrix Gla protein (MGP) has been suggested to play a role in the inhibition of soft-tissue calcification...
- Coordinately up-regulated genes in ovarian cancerC D Hough
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Cancer Res 61:3869-76. 2001..growth factor-binding protein 2, epithelial cell adhesion molecule/GA733-2, Kop protease inhibitor, matrix gla protein, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 3, folate receptor 1, S100A2, signal transducer and activator of ..
- Polymorphisms of the human matrix gla protein (MGP) gene, vascular calcification, and myocardial infarctionS M Herrmann
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Inserm SC7 U525, Paris, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:2386-93. 2000The matrix Gla protein (MGP) is an important inhibitor of vessel and cartilage calcification that is strongly expressed in human calcified, atherosclerotic plaques and could modulate plaque calcification and coronary heart disease risk...
- Matrix gla protein is regulated by a mechanism functionally related to the calcium-sensing receptorA Farzaneh-Far
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, ACCI level 6, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277:736-40. 2000b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP) is a mineral binding extra-cellular matrix protein which is thought to be a key inhibitor of tissue and vascular calcification...
- Matrix Gla protein synthesis and gamma-carboxylation in the aortic vessel wall and proliferating vascular smooth muscle cells--a cell system which resembles the system in bone cellsR Wallin
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Thromb Haemost 82:1764-7. 1999b>Matrix GLA protein (MGP) is an inhibitor of calcification in the arterial wall and its activity is dependent upon vitamin K-dependent gamma-carboxylation...
- Expression of bone matrix proteins in urolithiasis model ratsT Yasui
Department of Urology, Nagoya City University Medical School, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Urol Res 27:255-61. 1999..The expression of messenger (m) RNAs of osteopontin (OPN), matrix Gla protein (MGP), osteonectin (ON) and osteocalcin (OC) in bones and teeth has been described...
- Mutations in the gene encoding the human matrix Gla protein cause Keutel syndromeP B Munroe
Department of Paediatrics, Royal Free and University College Medical School, The Rayne Institute, London, UK
Nat Genet 21:142-4. 1999..b>Mglap-deficient mice (Mglap-/-) have been reported to have inappropriate calcification of cartilage...
- Expression of bone matrix proteins mRNA during distraction osteogenesisM Sato
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 13:1221-31. 1998..of this process, the expression and localization of the mRNAs encoding osteopontin (OPN), osteocalcin (OC), matrix Gla protein (MGP), osteonectin (ON), and collagen type I and I during distraction osteogenesis were examined by in situ ..
- High expression of genes for calcification-regulating proteins in human atherosclerotic plaquesC M Shanahan
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 93:2393-402. 1994..situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry we show that two bone-associated proteins, osteopontin (OP) and matrix Gla protein (MGP), are highly expressed in human atheromatous plaques...
- Conserved phosphorylation of serines in the Ser-X-Glu/Ser(P) sequences of the vitamin K-dependent matrix Gla protein from shark, lamb, rat, cow, and humanP A Price
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0322
Protein Sci 3:822-30. 1994The present studies demonstrate that matrix Gla protein (MGP), a 10-kDa vitamin K-dependent protein, is phosphorylated at 3 serine residues near its N-terminus...
- Molecular cloning of matrix Gla protein: implications for substrate recognition by the vitamin K-dependent gamma-carboxylaseP A Price
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:8335-9. 1987b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP), a low molecular weight protein found in bone, dentin, and cartilage, contains 5 residues of the vitamin K-dependent amino acid gamma-carboxyglutamic acid (Gla)...
- Developmental expression and hormonal regulation of the rat matrix Gla protein (MGP) gene in chondrogenesis and osteogenesisL M Barone
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655
J Cell Biochem 46:351-65. 1991b>Matrix Gla protein (MGP), a vitamin K dependent protein, has recently been identified in many tissues...
- MATRIX GLA PROTEIN AND CARTILAGE CALCIFICATIONPaul Price; Fiscal Year: 2001..Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): The three objectives of this investigation are to understand the role of MGP in preventing calcification of growth plate cartilage, to establish the role of MGP as a calcification inhibitor in ..
- VITAMIN K, METABOLISM AND FUNCTIONReidar Wallin; Fiscal Year: 2001..the growth arrest specific gene 6 product Gas6 and the bone and cartilage resident proteins, osteocalsin and matrix GLA protein (MGP)...
- Vitamin K, Bone, and Arterial CalcificationReidar Wallin; Fiscal Year: 2006..The main focus of this grant is to understand the involvement of the vitamin K-dependent protein, Matrix Gla protein (MGP), in bone formation...
- Initiation and Inhibition of Medial Artery CalcificationPaul Price; Fiscal Year: 2008..is normally prevented by the opposing action of calcification inhibitors such as the vitamin K-dependent matrix Gla protein (MGP), an inhibitor which is secreted by smooth muscle cells adjacent to the elastic lamellae in the artery ..