Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mapk1
Description: mitogen activated protein kinase 1
Alias: ERK-2, ERT1, Erk2, p42-MAPK, mitogen-activated protein kinase 1, MAP kinase 1, MAP kinase 2, MAP kinase isoform p42, MAPK 1, MAPK 2, extracellular-signal-regulated kinase 2, mitogen-activated protein kinase 2
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- ERK 1/2 signaling pathway is involved in nicotine-mediated neuroprotection in spinal cord neuronsMichal Toborek
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Cell Biochem 100:279-92. 2007..Results of the present study indicate that the ERK1/2 pathway is involved in anti-apoptotic effects of nicotine in spinal cord neurons and may be involved in therapeutic effects of nicotine in spinal cord trauma...
- SOCS-1 inhibits TNF-alpha-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis via ERK1/2 pathway activationLing Yan
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University School of Medicine, 238 Jiefang Road, Wuchang, Wuhan 430060, People s Republic of China
Inflammation 31:180-8. 2008..These findings suggest that SOCS-1 prevents TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis in cardiac myocytes via ERK1/2 pathway activation...
- 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) and 24R,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) modulate growth plate chondrocyte physiology via protein kinase C-dependent phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinaseZ Schwartz
Department of Orthopedics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78229, USA
Endocrinology 143:2775-86. 2002..The cell specificity, metabolite stereospecificity, and the dependence on PKC argue for the participation of membrane receptors for 1alpha,25-(OH)(2)D(3) and 24R,25-(OH)(2)D(3) in the regulation of ERK1/2 in the growth plate...
- Role of megakaryoblastic acute leukemia-1 in ERK1/2-dependent stimulation of serum response factor-driven transcription by BDNF or increased synaptic activityKatarzyna Kalita
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center and Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Neurosci 26:10020-32. 2006..In addition, MKL1 appears as a novel mediator of the signaling between ERK1/2 and SRF. Moreover, MKL1 is a likely regulator of SRF-driven transcription programs that underlie neuronal plasticity...
- Selective inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatases by zinc accounts for extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2-dependent oxidative neuronal cell deathYeung Ho
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 7041 BST 3, 3501 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Mol Pharmacol 74:1141-51. 2008..Thus, the elevation of intracellular zinc within neurons subjected to oxidative stress can trigger a robust positive feedback loop operating through activated ERK1/2 that rapidly sets into motion a zinc-dependent pathway of cell death...
- IL-17 stimulates migration of carotid artery vascular smooth muscle cells in an MMP-9 dependent manner via p38 MAPK and ERK1/2-dependent NF-kappaB and AP-1 activationGao Cheng
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 29:1161-8. 2009..The present results demonstrated that IL-17 may play a role in vascular remodeling and targeting IL-17 or its specific downstream mediators is a potentially novel therapeutic pathway for attenuating the post-angioplastic restenosis...
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and ERK1/2 are not involved in adenosine A1, A2A or A3 receptor-mediated preconditioning in rat ventricle stripsLaura Button
School of Biomedical and Natural Sciences, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Lane, Nottingham NG11 8NS, UK
Exp Physiol 90:747-54. 2005..In contrast ERK1/2 and PI3-kinase-dependent pathways do appear to be involved in early hypoxic preconditioning...
- Axonal outgrowth is associated with increased ERK 1/2 activation but decreased caspase 3 linked cell death in Schwann cells after immediate nerve repair in ratsYoshifumi Tsuda
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
BMC Neurosci 12:12. 2011..In the present study, axonal outgrowth, activation of ERK1/2 by phosphorylation (p-ERK 1/2 ) and immunoreactivity of cleaved caspase 3 were examined after immediate, delayed, or no repair of transected rat sciatic nerves...
- Acetaminophen recruits spinal p42/p44 MAPKs and GH/IGF-1 receptors to produce analgesia via the serotonergic systemJérôme Bonnefont
INSERM U766 Pharmacologie Fondamentale et Clinique de la Douleur, Facultes de Medecine et de Pharmacie, 28 Place Henri Dunant, 63001 Clermont Ferrand, France
Mol Pharmacol 71:407-15. 2007....
- The luteinizing hormone receptor-activated extracellularly regulated kinase-1/2 cascade stimulates epiregulin release from granulosa cellsNebojsa Andric
Department of Pharmacology, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Endocrinology 149:5549-56. 2008..These results show that the LHR-stimulated ERK1/2 pathway stimulates epiregulin release...
- Mitogen-activated protein kinases mediate upregulation of hypothalamic angiotensin II type 1 receptors in heart failure ratsShun Guang Wei
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Hypertension 52:679-86. 2008..These data indicate that MAPK plays an important role in the upregulation of AT(1)-R in the rat forebrain in HF and suggest that Ang II upregulates its own receptor by this mechanism...
- Transforming growth factor-β1 induces matrix metalloproteinase-9 and cell migration in astrocytes: roles of ROS-dependent ERK- and JNK-NF-κB pathwaysHsi Lung Hsieh
Department of Nursing, Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Chang Gung Institute of Technology, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Neuroinflammation 7:88. 2010..Both TGF-β and MMPs have been shown to play crucial roles in brain pathological changes. Thus, we investigated the molecular mechanisms underlying TGF-β1-induced MMP-9 expression in brain astrocytes...
- A novel binding factor of 14-3-3beta functions as a transcriptional repressor and promotes anchorage-independent growth, tumorigenicity, and metastasisYuko Komiya
Department of Biological Science and Technology, Faculty of Industrial Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, Yamazaki 2641, Noda shi, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:18753-64. 2008..These results indicate that FBI1 promotes sustained ERK1/2 activation through repression of MKP-1 transcription, resulting in promotion of tumorigenicity and metastasis...
- ERK phosphorylation potentiates Elk-1-mediated ternary complex formation and transactivationH Gille
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Spemann Laboratories, Freiburg, Germany
EMBO J 14:951-62. 1995..closely related to p62TCF in function, is a nuclear target of two members of the MAP kinase family, ERK1 and ERK2. Phosphorylation of Elk-1 increases the yield of ternary complex in vitro...
- Atomic structure of the MAP kinase ERK2 at 2.3 A resolutionF Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Nature 367:704-11. 1994The structure of the MAP kinase ERK2, a ubiquitous protein kinase target for regulation by Ras and Raf, has been solved in its unphosphorylated low-activity conformation to a resolution of 2.3 A...
- ERK1/2 activation mediates Abeta oligomer-induced neurotoxicity via caspase-3 activation and tau cleavage in rat organotypic hippocampal slice culturesYoung Hae Chong
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Division of Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Ewha Medical Research Institute, Ewha Womans University, Yangcheonku, Seoul, 158 710, Korea
J Biol Chem 281:20315-25. 2006....
- Phosphorylation of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase-protein kinase B and extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 mediate reoxygenation-induced cardioprotection during hypoxiaGiuseppina Milano
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 235:401-10. 2010..Selective inhibition of Akt and ERK1/2 phosphorylation abolishes the beneficial effects of the reoxygenation. Therefore, Akt and ERK1/2 have an important role to mediate cardioprotection by reoxygenation during CH in vivo...
- p42/p44 mitogen-activated protein kinases phosphorylate hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and enhance the transcriptional activity of HIF-1D E Richard
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, UMR CNRS 6543, Centre Antoine Lacassagne, 33 Avenue Valombrose, 06189 Nice, France
J Biol Chem 274:32631-7. 1999..This interaction between HIF-1alpha and p42/p44 MAPK suggests a cooperation between hypoxic and growth factor signals that ultimately leads to the increase in HIF-1-mediated gene expression...
- Mitogen-activated protein kinases p38 and ERK 1/2 mediate the wall stress-induced activation of GATA-4 binding in adult heartOlli Tenhunen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 279:24852-60. 2004..In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that both p38 and extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase are required for the stretch-induced GATA-4 binding in intact heart...
- Differential pathways of angiotensin II-induced extracellularly regulated kinase 1/2 phosphorylation in specific cell types: role of heparin-binding epidermal growth factorBukhtiar H Shah
Endocrinology and Reproduction Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Building 49, Room 6A36, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4510, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:2035-48. 2004..These data demonstrate that the individual actions of Ang II on EGF-R transactivation in specific cell types are related to differential involvement of MMP-dependent HB-EGF release...
- Reactive oxygen species mediate Endothelin-1-induced activation of ERK1/2, PKB, and Pyk2 signaling, as well as protein synthesis, in vascular smooth muscle cellsGrace Bou Daou
Research Center, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Hotel Dieu, Department of Medicine and Physiology, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Free Radic Biol Med 37:208-15. 2004..These results demonstrate that ROS are critical mediators of ET-1-induced signaling events linked to growth-promoting proliferative and hypertrophic pathways in VSMCs...
- Sustained extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 phosphorylation in neonate 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rats after repeated D1-dopamine receptor agonist administration: implications for NMDA receptor involvementSophia T Papadeas
Neurobiology Curriculum, Department of Psychiatry and University of North Carolina Neuroscience Center, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7178, USA
J Neurosci 24:5863-76. 2004..Ultimately, long-lasting phosphorylation of ERK and CREB in MPC may play a pivotal role in any permanent adaptive change(s) in these animals...
- Cobalt chloride-induced apoptosis and extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase 1/2 activation in rat C6 glioma cellsSeung Ju Yang
Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science, College of Health Science, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 710, Korea
J Biochem Mol Biol 37:480-6. 2004..These results suggest that cobalt chloride is able to induce the apoptotic activity in C6 glioma cells, and its apoptotic mechanism may be associated with signal transduction via MAP kinase (ERK 1/2)...
- Extracellularly regulated kinases 1/2 (p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinases) phosphorylate synapsin I and regulate insulin secretion in the MIN6 beta-cell line and islets of LangerhansChristine Longuet
Unité Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médecale U376, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Arnaud de Villeneuve, 371 rue du Doyen Gaston Giraud, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Endocrinology 146:643-54. 2005..using MEK1/2, the MAPK kinase inhibitor PD98059 or using small interfering RNA-mediated silencing of ERK1 and ERK2 expressions resulted in partial inhibition of glucose-induced insulin release, indicating that ERK1/2 pathway ..
- Reactive oxygen species and ERK 1/2 mediate monocyte chemotactic protein-1-stimulated smooth muscle cell migrationI Chung Lo
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 12:377-88. 2005....
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1 and -2 are activated by gastric luminal injury in dorsal root ganglion neurons via N-methyl-D-aspartate receptorsR Schicho
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Graz, Universitatsplatz 4, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Neuroscience 134:505-14. 2005..The extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1 and -2 pathway therefore may not only be of importance for somatic but also for visceral nociception...
- Direct phosphorylation and regulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 by extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2Tiina M Kauppinen
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:7136-41. 2006..These inhibitors also blocked PARP-1 activation and PARP-1-mediated death in astrocytes. siRNA down-regulation of ERK2 expression in astrocytes also blocked PARP-1 activation and cell death...
- Neuronal calcium sensor-1 and phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase beta stimulate extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 signaling by accelerating recycling through the endocytic recycling compartmentYaara Kapp-Barnea
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Mol Biol Cell 17:4130-41. 2006..Together, our results demonstrate a novel role for NCS-1 and PI4Kbeta in regulating ERK1/2 signaling and inflammatory reactions in mast cells. Our results further identify the ERC as a crucial determinant in controlling ERK1/2 signaling...
- DNA-independent PARP-1 activation by phosphorylated ERK2 increases Elk1 activity: a link to histone acetylationMalka Cohen-Armon
Neufeld Cardiac Research Institute, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Mol Cell 25:297-308. 2007..PARP-1 was intensively activated and thereby polyADP-ribosylated by a direct interaction with phosphorylated ERK2, and the activated PARP-1 dramatically increased ERK2-catalyzed phosphorylation of the transcription factor Elk1...
- Phosphorylation of ERK in neurokinin 1 receptor-expressing neurons in laminae III and IV of the rat spinal dorsal horn following noxious stimulationErika Polgár
Spinal Cord Group, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Mol Pain 3:4. 2007..The stimuli were mechanical (repeated pinching), thermal (immersion in water at 52 degrees C) or chemical (injection of 2% formaldehyde)...
- Nitric oxide attenuates endothelin-1-induced activation of ERK1/2, PKB, and Pyk2 in vascular smooth muscle cells by a cGMP-dependent pathwayAli Bouallegue
Laboratory of Cell Signaling, Montreal Diabetes Research Centre, Centre de Recherche, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Technopole Angus Campus, and Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2072-9. 2007..It may be suggested that NO-induced generation of cGMP contributes to the inhibition of ET-1-induced mitogenic and hypertrophic responses in VSMCs...
- Angiotensin II-induced extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation is mediated by protein kinase Cdelta and intracellular calcium in adult rat cardiac fibroblastsErik R Olson
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272 0095, USA
Hypertension 51:704-11. 2008....
- Age-related differences in insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor signaling regulates Akt/FOXO3a and ERK/Fos pathways in vascular smooth muscle cellsMuyao Li
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont
J Cell Physiol 217:377-87. 2008..Therefore, activation of IGF-1R signaling influences VSMC function in old rats and may contribute to the increased risk for atherosclerosis...
- Stimulus-specific activation and actin dependency of distinct, spatially separated ERK1/2 fractions in A7r5 smooth muscle cellsSusanne Vetterkind
Department of Health Sciences, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30409. 2012..Our results show that (1) at least two ERK1/2 fractions are regulated separately by specific stimuli, and that (2) the association of ERK1/2 with the actin cytoskeleton regulates the outcome of ERK1/2 signaling...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor subtypes 1 and 5 are activators of extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling required for inflammatory pain in miceF Karim
Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosci 21:3771-9. 2001..We show that activation of mGluR1 and mGluR5 leads to activation of ERK1 and ERK2 in the spinal cord...
- The receptor for advanced glycation end-products (RAGE) directly binds to ERK by a D-domain-like docking siteKatsuya Ishihara
Discovery Biology, Tsukuba Research Institute, Novartis Pharma K K, Okubo 8, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki 300 2611, Japan
FEBS Lett 550:107-13. 2003..These data suggest that ERK may play a role in RAGE signaling through direct interaction with RAGE...
- Growth factor-induced MAPK network topology shapes Erk response determining PC-12 cell fateSilvia D M Santos
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Cell Biology and Biophysics, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 9:324-30. 2007..These results show that growth factor context determines the topology of the MAPK signalling network and that the resulting dynamics govern cell fate...
- Estrogen-dependent facilitation on spinal reflex potentiation involves the Cdk5/ERK1/2/NR2B cascade in anesthetized ratsHsien Yu Peng
Department of Physiology, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E416-26. 2009....
- Static pressure drives proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells via caveolin-1/ERK1/2 pathwayDi Xian Luo
Division of Pharmacoproteomics, Institute of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Research Center of Life Science, University of South China, Hengyang, Hunan 421001, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:1693-7. 2010..Our data also showed that a siRNA-mediated caveolin-1 knock down increased ERK1/2 phosphorylation and VSMC proliferation. These results demonstrate that static pressure promotes VSMC proliferation via the Caveolin-1/ERK1/2 pathway...
- Shear stress modulation of smooth muscle cell marker genes in 2-D and 3-D depends on mechanotransduction by heparan sulfate proteoglycans and ERK1/2Zhong Dong Shi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The City College of New York, The City University of New York, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e12196. 2010..We investigate the effects of these two types of fluid flows on the phenotypes of SMCs and MFBs and the underlying mechanotransduction mechanisms...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 signaling promotes oligodendrocyte myelination in vitroJunhua Xiao
Centre for Neuroscience Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 122:1167-80. 2012..Collectively, these data identify that Erk1/2 signaling within oligodendrocytes exerts an important and direct effect to promote myelination...
- Pravastatin normalizes ET-1-induced contraction in the aorta of type 2 diabetic OLETF rats by suppressing the KSR1/ERK complexShingo Nemoto
Department of Physiology and Morphology, Institute of Medicinal Chemistry, Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 303:H893-902. 2012..These results suggest that in type 2 diabetic rats, pravastatin normalizes ET-1-induced contraction in aortic smooth muscle via a suppression of PP2A/KSR1/ERK activities after an enhancement of Src kinase activity...
- Vessel-specific stimulation of protein synthesis by nitric oxide synthase inhibition: role of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2Fabrice M A C Martens
Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada
Hypertension 39:16-21. 2002..This heterogeneous role of NO on vascular growth may explain the heterogeneity of vascular remodeling observed in essential hypertension, a condition associated with endothelial dysfunction...
- Mitochondrial extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 (ERK1/2) are modulated during brain developmentMariana Alonso
Institute of Cellular Biology and Neurosciences, School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Neurochem 89:248-56. 2004....
- Blockade of rapid versus prolonged extracellularly regulated kinase 1/2 activation has differential effects on insulin-induced gene expressionAdam B Keeton
Department of Pathology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Volker Hall, G019, 1670 University Boulevard, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0019, USA
Endocrinology 146:2716-25. 2005....
- Ethanol-induced modulation of hepatocellular extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1/2 activity via 4-hydroxynonenalBrante P Sampey
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 282:1925-37. 2007....
- Expanding the repertoire of an ERK2 recruitment site: cysteine footprinting identifies the D-recruitment site as a mediator of Ets-1 bindingOlga Abramczyk
Division of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biochemistry 46:9174-86. 2007Many substrates of ERK2 contain a D-site, a sequence recognized by ERK2 that is used to promote catalysis. Despite lacking a canonical D-site, the substrate Ets-1 is displaced from ERK2 by peptides containing one...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation, via downregulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase 1, mediates sex differences in desoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertension vascular reactivityFernanda R Giachini
Medical College of Georgia, Department of Physiology, 1120 Fifteenth St, CA 2095, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Hypertension 55:172-9. 2010..In addition, mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase 1 and interleukin 10 play regulatory roles in this process...
- Altered extracellular signal-regulated kinase signal transduction by the muscarinic acetylcholine and metabotropic glutamate receptors after cerebral ischemiaNorio Takagi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacology, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:6382-90. 2002....
- Phosphorylation and activation of mitogen- and stress-activated protein kinase-1 in adult rat cardiac myocytes by G-protein-coupled receptor agonists requires both extracellular-signal-regulated kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinaseThomais Markou
Laboratory of Animal Physiology, Department of Zoology, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Biochem J 365:757-63. 2002..However, the lack of phosphorylation at Ser-360, an identified phosphorylation site targeted by MAPKs, may indicate that MSK1 is not a direct substrate of ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK in adult rat cardiomyocytes...
- Differential activation mechanisms of Erk-1/2 and p70(S6K) by glucose in pancreatic beta-cellsIsabelle Briaud
Pacific Northwest Research Institute, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes 52:974-83. 2003..In contrast, glucose-induced p70(S6K) activation, in the same beta-cells, was mediated by a distinct signaling pathway independent of Ca(2+)/cAMP, most likely via mTOR-kinase acting as an "ATP-sensor."..
- ERK and p38 mediate high-glucose-induced hypertrophy and TGF-beta expression in renal tubular cellsHisayo Fujita
Department of Pediatrics, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F120-6. 2004..These results demonstrate that ERK and p38 are activated in renal tubular cells of DM and may mediate HG-induced cellular hypertrophy and TGF-beta expression...
- Asymmetric activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 in rat vestibular nuclei by unilateral labyrinthectomyMin Sun Kim
Vestibulocochlear Research Center and Department of Physiology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, 344 2 Shinyong dong, Iksan 570 749, South Korea
Brain Res 1011:238-42. 2004..These results suggest that unilateral deafferentation of the vestibular system triggers intracellular signal pathways that activate ERK 1/2 in the VN...
- Rapid effects of retinoic acid on CREB and ERK phosphorylation in neuronal cellsEstela Cañón
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas and Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Mol Biol Cell 15:5583-92. 2004..These results demonstrate that RA, by a nongenomic mechanism, stimulates signaling pathways that lead to phosphorylation of transcription factors, which in turn activate the transcription of genes involved in neuronal differentiation...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 signaling pathway in solitary nucleus mediates cholecystokinin-induced suppression of food intake in ratsGregory M Sutton
Neurobiology of Nutrition Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
J Neurosci 24:10240-7. 2004....
- Ceramide- and ERK-dependent pathway for the activation of CCAAT/enhancer binding protein by interleukin-1beta in hepatocytesNatalia V Giltiay
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Lipid Res 46:2497-505. 2005..These results suggest that ceramide and ERK mediate a pathway in the IL-1beta signaling cascade, which results in rapid posttranslational activation of C/EBPbeta...
- Insulin enhances growth hormone induction of the MEK/ERK signaling pathwayJie Xu
Department of Pathology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
J Biol Chem 281:982-92. 2006..These findings suggest that insulin may be necessary for sensitization of cells to GH-induced ERK1/2 activation and provides a potential cellular mechanism by which insulin promotes growth...
- MEK/ERK signaling controls osmoregulation of nucleus pulposus cells of the intervertebral disc by transactivation of TonEBP/OREBPTsung Ting Tsai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania19107, USA
J Bone Miner Res 22:965-74. 2007..However, the mechanism of hyperosmotic activation of TonEBP in disc cells is not known. Results of this study show that hypertonic activation of ERK signaling regulates transactivation activity of TonEBP, modulating its function...
- ERK1/2 signaling pathway modulates the airway smooth muscle cell phenotype in the rat model of chronic asthmaMin Xie
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tongji Hospital Affiliated to Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Respiration 74:680-90. 2007..The extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) signaling pathway is one of the most important transduction pathways involved in the process of asthma; however, its role in the phenotypic transition of ASMCs remains unclear...
- Fas Ag-FasL coupling leads to ERK1/2-mediated proliferation of gastric mucosal cellsHanchen Li
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G263-75. 2008....
- Protection of transplant-induced hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury with carbon monoxide via MEK/ERK1/2 pathway downregulationTakashi Kaizu
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G236-44. 2008..The possible mechanism may include the downregulation of MEK/ERK1/2 signaling pathway with CO...
- Remote vs. ischaemic preconditioning: the differential role of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathwaysMarc Heidbreder
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 78:108-15. 2008..Since mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) were found to be implicated in the signalling of ischaemic preconditioning (IPC), we tested the hypothesis of a contribution of these protein kinases to remote preconditioning (RPC)...
- D1 receptor regulation of preprotachykinin-A gene by extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway in striatal culturesMihaela Sin
Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Neuroreport 19:187-91. 2008....
- Artepillin C derived from propolis induces neurite outgrowth in PC12m3 cells via ERK and p38 MAPK pathwaysYoshio Kano
Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Health Science, Kibi International University, 8 Iga machi, Takahashi City, Okayama, 716 8508, Japan
Neurochem Res 33:1795-803. 2008..These findings suggest that artepillin C-induced activation of p38 MAPK through the ERK signaling pathway is responsible for the neurite outgrowth of PC12m3 cells...
- Preischemic induction of TNF-alpha by physical exercise reduces blood-brain barrier dysfunction in strokeMiao Guo
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:1422-30. 2008..These results were negated and returned toward nonexercised values once TNF-alpha or ERK1/2 was blocked. We concluded that preischemic, exercise-induced TNF-alpha markedly decreases BBB dysfunction by using the ERK1/2 pathway...
- The PKs PKA and ERK 1/2 are involved in phosphorylation of TH at Serine 40 and 31 during morphine withdrawal in rat heartsP Almela
Department of Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Murcia University, Murcia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 155:73-83. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effects of morphine withdrawal on site-specific phosphorylation of TH in the heart...
- MAP kinase/phosphatase pathway mediates the regulation of ACE2 by angiotensin peptidesPatricia E Gallagher
The Hypertension and Vascular Disease Center, Wake Forest Univ School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1032, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C1169-74. 2008..Treatment of VSMCs with ANG II increased ERK1/ERK2 activity, which was significantly reduced by pretreatment with ANG-(1-7)...
- GAP1(IP4BP)/RASA3 mediates Galphai-induced inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinaseHouman Nafisi
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:35908-17. 2008..Our results provide a novel mechanism for dopamine D2S-induced inhibition of ERK1/2 and indicate that RASA3 links Galphai proteins to inhibit Gq-induced Ras/ERK1/2 activation...
- Multiple division cycles and long-term survival of hepatocytes are distinctly regulated by extracellular signal-regulated kinases ERK1 and ERK2Christophe Frémin
INSERM U522, UPRES SeRAIC, IFR 140 Université de Rennes, Rennes, France
Hepatology 49:930-9. 2009..the specific role of the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (ERK1)/ERK2 pathway in the regulation of multiple cell cycles and long-term survival of normal hepatocytes...
- Erk1/2 promotes proliferation and inhibits neuronal differentiation of neural stem cellsBin Wang
Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Neurosci Lett 461:252-7. 2009..Our results showed that Erk1/2 played an important role in the interplay between cell-extrinsic cues and cell-intrinsic genetic mechanisms in neural stem cell biology...
- Involvement of ERK1/2 pathway in neuroprotection by salidroside against hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptotic cell deathShu Yu
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Neuroregeneration, Nantong University, 19 Qixiu Road, Nantong, 226001, People s Republic of China
J Mol Neurosci 40:321-31. 2010..Taken together, the results suggest that the neuroprotective effects of salidroside might be modulated by ERK signaling pathway, especially at the level or upstream of the caspase-3 activation...
- Role of angiotensin II in the remodeling induced by a chronic increase in flow in rat mesenteric resistance arteriesMaud Cousin
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 6214, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U771, Universite d Angers, Angers, France
Hypertension 55:109-15. 2010..Thus, a chronic rise in blood flow in resistance arteries induces a diameter enlargement involving NO and superoxide, whereas hypertrophy was associated with extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation by angiotensin II...
- High-glucose stimulation increases reactive oxygen species production through the calcium and mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated activation of mitochondrial fissionTianzheng Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 14:425-37. 2011..These results demonstrate that high-glucose stimulation induces the activation of mitochondrial fission via signals mediated by intracellular Ca(2+) and ERK1/2...
- Heat shock protein 90 protects rat mesenchymal stem cells against hypoxia and serum deprivation-induced apoptosis via the PI3K/Akt and ERK1/2 pathwaysFeng Gao
Department of Cardiology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 11:608-17. 2010..These findings demonstrated a novel and effective treatment strategy against MSC apoptosis in cell transplantation...
- Effect of Chaihu Shugan San and its components on expression of ERK1/2 mRNA in the hippocampus of rats with chronic mild unpredicted stress depressionSu E Wang
Institute of Integrated Medicine Key Unit of SATCM for Traditional Chinese Medicine Gan, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 36:93-100. 2011..To explore the antidepressant effect and mechanism of Chaihu Shugan San (CHSGS) composition, a compound traditional Chinese herb medicine and its components...
- Matrine inhibits disturbed flow-enhanced migration via downregulation of ERK1/2-MLCK signaling vascular smooth muscle cellsPing Zhu
Cardiovascular Surgery Department, Guangdong Cardiovascular Institute, Guangdong General Hospital, Guangdong Academic of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Ann Vasc Surg 26:268-75. 2012..To investigate the effects of matrine on the vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration modulated by disturbed flow and their underlying molecular mechanisms in vitro...
- Phosphorylated mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 may not always represent its kinase activity in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemia with or without ischemic preconditioningT Takahashi
Department of Neurosurgery and Stanford Stroke Center, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Neuroscience 209:155-60. 2012..In conclusion, protein phosphorylation levels of ERK1/2 do not always correspond to kinase activity, thus, measuring the true kinase activity is essential...
- The adipokine chemerin augments vascular reactivity to contractile stimuli via activation of the MEK-ERK1/2 pathwayN S Lobato
Department of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Goias, Jataí, GO, Brazil
Life Sci 91:600-6. 2012..In the present study we tested the hypothesis that the adipokine chemerin increases vascular contractile responses via activation of ET-1/ET-1 receptors-mediated pathways...
- The expression of NR2B subunit of NMDA receptor in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of Wistar rats and its role in glutamate-induced CREB and ERK1/2 phosphorylationZdenka Bendova
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
Neurochem Int 61:43-7. 2012....
- GIT1Y321 phosphorylation is required for ERK1/2- and PDGF-dependent VEGF secretion from osteoblasts to promote angiogenesis and bone healingZe Rui
Department of Orthopaedics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Jiangsu, Nanjing 210029, PR China
Int J Mol Med 30:819-25. 2012..Furthermore, GIT1 is a seminal signaling protein regulating bone healing...
- Magnetic labeling of pancreatic β-cells modulates the glucose- and insulin-induced phosphorylation of ERK1/2 and AKTHoe Suk Kim
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, Daehangno, Jongno gu, Korea
Contrast Media Mol Imaging 8:20-6. 2013..This study demonstrates that SPIO labeling alters some fundamental functional variables, at least in INS-1 cells, through modulation of the glucose- or insulin-induced activation of ERK1/2 and AKT, which leads to insulin biosynthesis...
- Activation of spinal chemokine receptor CXCR3 mediates bone cancer pain through an Akt-ERK crosstalk pathway in ratsXue Hai Guan
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1095 Jiefang Road, Wuhan 430030, PR China
Exp Neurol 263:39-49. 2015..Our results demonstrated that the activation of spinal chemokine receptor CXCR3 mediated BCP through Akt and ERK 1/2 kinase, and also indicated a crosstalk between PI3K/Akt and Raf/MEK/ERK signaling pathways under the BCP condition. ..
- Sevoflurane post-conditioning protects isolated rat hearts against ischemia-reperfusion injury via activation of the ERK1/2 pathwayHong Xie
Department of Anesthesiology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 215000, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 35:1504-13. 2014..To investigate the role of extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERKs) in sevoflurane post-conditioning induced cardioprotection in vitro...
- Inhibiting ERK Activation with CI-1040 Leads to Compensatory Upregulation of Alternate MAPKs and Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 following Subtotal Nephrectomy with No Impact on Kidney FibrosisFaith Hannah Nutter
Academic Unit of Nephrology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Medical School, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, England
PLoS ONE 10:e0137321. 2015..Thus inhibition of ERK1/2 activation has no therapeutic effect on kidney fibrosis in SNx possibly due to increased compensatory activation of the p38 and JNK signalling pathways with subsequent upregulation of PAI-1. ..
- Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases Are Activated in Placental Injury in Rat Model of Acute Pancreatitis in PregnancyTeng Zuo
From the Department of General Surgery, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
Pancreas 45:850-7. 2016..To establish a rat model of acute pancreatitis in pregnancy (APIP) and evaluate its general presentations, assess placental injury, and discuss possible mechanisms...
- Related adhesion focal tyrosine kinase and the epidermal growth factor receptor mediate the stimulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by the G-protein-coupled P2Y2 receptor. Phorbol ester or [Ca2+]i elevation can substitute for receptor activationS P Soltoff
Division of Signal Transduction, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 273:23110-7. 1998..that the activation of G-protein-coupled P2Y2 receptors by extracellular ATP and UTP stimulated MAP (p42 ERK2) kinase by a mechanism that was dependent on the elevation of [Ca2+]i and the activation of related adhesion focal ..
- Prostacyclin induces apoptosis of vascular smooth muscle cells by a cAMP-mediated inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase activity and can counteract the mitogenic activity of endothelin-1 or basic fibroblast growth factorRung Chi Li
Babraham Institute, Babraham, Cambridge, UK
Circ Res 94:759-67. 2004..However, ERK stimulation by a selective EP4 receptor agonist, suggests that prostanoids may have diverse and complex roles in VSMC physiology...
- Activation of the extracellular-signal regulated protein kinase pathway in human glomerulopathiesTakao Masaki
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1835-43. 2004..ERK activation may promote renal repair through tubular proliferation while promoting renal fibrosis via proliferation of glomerular and interstitial myofibroblasts...
- Conditional overexpression of the wild-type Gs alpha as the gsp oncogene initiates chronic extracellularly regulated kinase 1/2 activation and hormone hypersecretion in pituitary cell linesD Romano
Unite Mixte de Recherche 6544, Institut Federatif de Recherche Jean Roche, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Boulevard Pierre Dramard, 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Endocrinology 148:2973-83. 2007..Overexpression of the wild-type G(s)alpha protein as the gsp oncogene initiated chronic activation of endogenous prolactin synthesis and release, as well as chronic activation of ERK1/2-sensitive human prolactin and GH promoters...
- Sequential actions of ERK1/2 on the AP-1 transcription factor allow temporal integration of metabolic signals in pancreatic beta cellsDominique A Glauser
Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, University of Geneva, Switzerland
FASEB J 21:3240-9. 2007..This ERK1/2-AP-1 module can function as a temporal integrator converting metabolic stimuli of different durations into differential transcriptional outputs...
- 17beta-estradiol induces the translocation of the estrogen receptors ESR1 and ESR2 to the cell membrane, MAPK3/1 phosphorylation and proliferation of cultured immature rat Sertoli cellsThaís F G Lucas
Section of Experimental Endocrinology, Department of Pharmacology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biol Reprod 78:101-14. 2008..In addition, activation of ESR1 and/or ESR2 by E(2) is involved in proliferation of immature Sertoli cells. The estrogen actions in Sertoli cells might be a key step mediating cellular events important for spermatogenesis and fertility...
- Estrogen exerts concentration-dependent pro-and anti-hypertrophic effects on adult cultured ventricular myocytes. Role of NHE-1 in estrogen-induced hypertrophyAna Kilic
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Medical Sciences Building, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C1
J Mol Cell Cardiol 46:360-9. 2009..These effects may further our understanding of the role of estrogen in heart disease particularly associated with hypertrophy...
- SH2B1beta enhances fibroblast growth factor 1 (FGF1)-induced neurite outgrowth through MEK-ERK1/2-STAT3-Egr1 pathwayWei Fan Lin
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Department of Life Science and Brain Research Center, National Tsing Hua University, 101 Section 2 Kuang Fu Road, Hsinchu, Taiwan
Cell Signal 21:1060-72. 2009..Taken together, our results demonstrate, for the first time, that SH2B1beta enhances FGF1-induced neurite outgrowth in PC12 cells mainly through MEK-ERK1/2-STAT3-Egr1 pathway...
- Candida albicans induces cyclo-oxygenase 2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production in synovial fibroblasts through an extracellular-regulated kinase 1/2 dependent pathwayHerng Sheng Lee
Department of Pathology, Tri Service General Hospital and National Defense Medical Center, Neihu District, Taipei City, Taiwan
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R48. 2009..Synovial cells are potential sources of inflammatory mediators in bacterial-induced arthritis but their involvement in the inflammatory response to Candida albicans-induced septic arthritis is largely unknown...
- Celastrol binds to ERK and inhibits FcepsilonRI signaling to exert an anti-allergic effectYoungmi Kim
School of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 612:131-42. 2009..A molecular dynamics simulation showed binding of celastrol to a large pocket in ERK2, which serves as the ATP-binding site...
- SDF-1α inhibits hypoxia and serum deprivation-induced apoptosis in mesenchymal stem cells through PI3K/Akt and ERK1/2 signaling pathwaysQi Yin
Research Center for Cardiac Regenerative Medicine, the Ministry of Health, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100037, China
Mol Biol Rep 38:9-16. 2011..These data also imply that the anti-apoptotic effect mediated by SDF-1α may enhance cell survival after cell transplantation...
- [Effects of free fatty acids on insulin signaling proteins in rat islet cells]Qi Yu Guo
Departmnent of Endocrinology, Navy General Hospital, Beijing 100037, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 18:283-6. 2002..To investigate whether free fatty acid impair insulin signaling proteins to inhibit insulin action in rat islet cells...
- Elevated activation of ERK1 and ERK2 accompany enhanced liver injury following alcohol binge in chronically ethanol-fed ratsAnnayya R Aroor
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, 65212, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:2128-38. 2011..We have therefore examined in rats the effect of single and repeat ethanol binge superimposed on chronic ethanol intake on liver injury, activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), and gene expression...
- Tonic, but not phasic corticosterone, constrains stress activatedextracellular-regulated-kinase 1/ 2 immunoreactivity within the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleusC D Osterlund
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado, UCB 345, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 23:1241-51. 2011....
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 signaling in the hippocampal dentate gyrus mediates the antidepressant effects of testosteroneNicole Carrier
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Program in Neurosciences, College of Medicine, Florida State University, USA
Biol Psychiatry 71:642-51. 2012..In this study, we sought to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying the antidepressant effects of testosterone within the hippocampus, an area that is fundamental in the etiology of depression...
- Selective inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 blocks nerve growth factor to brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling and suppresses the development of and reverses already established pain behavior in ratsY Matsuoka
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Neuroscience 206:224-36. 2012..siRNA experiments indicated that both ERK1 or ERK2 can signal suggesting that both pathways must be blocked to prevent NGF-induced increase in BDNF mRNA. I.p...
- GLU6PASE AND 6P2K/FBASE GENE REGULATION IN SEPSISSUBIR MAITRA; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of this study are essential to understand the molecular basis of deranged metabolism in sepsis. Understanding the mechanism might be useful for developing appropriate therapeutic intervention during sepsis. ..
- Identification of a new protein that binds Src and PKCSTEPHEN SOLTOFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..Future efforts will determine if this new protein alters cell morphology, tight junction formation, or other functions in salivary cells. ..
- Neural regulation of effort in goal-directed behaviorsJeremy Day; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cellular Regulation of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2 (ACE2)Patricia Gallagher; Fiscal Year: 2009..The regulation of ACE2 may be critical to maintaining the normal function of the renin-angiotensin system in the brain. ..
- Tat-mediated brain endothelial cell dysfunctionMichal Toborek; Fiscal Year: 2009..In a broader aspect, this proposal will contribute to better knowledge of how injury to brain endothelium can contribute to the development of neuroAIDS. ..
- The function of RhoBTB proteinsSTEPHEN PAUL SOLTOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies may reveal a new pathway involved in the development of cancer and advance our understanding of the basic biology of transformation. ..