Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lep
Alias: obese, leptin, obesity factor
Publications155 found, 100 shown here
- Blood leptin homeostasis: sex-associated differences in circulating leptin levels in rats are independent of tissue leptin expressionTeresa Mulet
Departamento de Biología Fundamental y Ciencias de la Salud, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Cra Valldemossa Km 7 5, E 07071, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35:104-10. 2003Circulating leptin levels are higher in women than in men...
- Region-specific diet-induced and leptin-induced cellular leptin resistance includes the ventral tegmental area in ratsM Matheny
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Neuropharmacology 60:480-7. 2011Diet-induced obesity (DIO) results in region-specific cellular leptin resistance in the arcuate nucleus (ARC) of the hypothalamus in one strain of mice and in several medial basal hypothalamic regions in another...
- Chronic central leptin infusion modifies the response to acute central insulin injection by reducing the interaction of the insulin receptor with IRS2 and increasing its association with SOCS3Emma Burgos-Ramos
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital Infantil Universitario Nino Jesus, Instituto Investigación Sanitaria Princesa, Madrid, Spain
J Neurochem 117:175-85. 2011b>Leptin and insulin have overlapping intracellular signaling mechanisms and exert anorexigenic actions in the hypothalamus...
- Effects of the obese gene product on body weight regulation in ob/ob miceM A Pelleymounter
Department of Neurobiology, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Science 269:540-3. 1995C57BL/6J mice with a mutation in the obese (ob) gene are obese, diabetic, and exhibit reduced activity, metabolism, and body temperature...
- Molecular cloning of rat obese cDNA and augmented gene expression in genetically obese Zucker fatty (fa/fa) ratsY Ogawa
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Clin Invest 96:1647-52. 1995The obese (ob) gene has recently been isolated through a positional cloning approach, the mutation of which causes a marked hereditary obesity and diabetes mellitus in mice...
- Leptin regulates proinflammatory immune responsesS Loffreda
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
FASEB J 12:57-65. 1998..Decreased expression of leptin or of functional leptin receptors results in hyperphagia, decreased energy expenditure, and obesity...
- Abrogated leptin-induced cardiac contractile response in ventricular myocytes under spontaneous hypertension: role of Jak/STAT pathwayLoren E Wold
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine, Grand Forks 58203, USA
Hypertension 39:69-74. 2002b>Leptin regulates cardiovascular function. Leptin levels are elevated in obesity and hypertension and may play a role in cardiovascular dysfunctions in these comorbidities...
- Leptin inhibits angiotensin II-induced intracellular calcium increase and vasoconstriction in the rat aortaAna Fortuno
Division of Cardiovascular Pathophysiology, University of Navarra School of Medicine, Pamplona, Spain
Endocrinology 143:3555-60. 2002Besides its role in body weight control leptin may also act as a vasoactive hormone. This study was designed to investigate whether leptin modifies angiotensin II (ANG II)-induced vascular responses...
- Central stimulatory effect of leptin on T3 production is mediated by brown adipose tissue type II deiodinasePhilippe Cettour-Rose
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E980-7. 2002To assess whether intracerebroventricular leptin administration affects monodeiodinase type II (D2) activity in the tissues where it is expressed [cerebral cortex, hypothalamus, pituitary, and brown adipose tissue (BAT)], hepatic ..
- Obesity-prone rats have normal blood-brain barrier transport but defective central leptin signaling before obesity onsetBarry E Levin
Neurology Service, Veterans Affairs Memorial Center, E Orange, NJ 07018 1095, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 286:R143-50. 2004..were compared with those bred to be diet resistant (DR) on a 31% fat high-energy diet with regard to their central leptin signaling and blood-brain barrier (BBB) transport...
- Leptin impairs insulin signaling in rat adipocytesCoralia Pérez
Centre of Molecular Biology Severo Ochoa, Autonomous University, Madrid, Spain
Diabetes 53:347-53. 2004b>Leptin modulates glucose homeostasis by acting as an insulin-sensitizing factor in most insulin target tissues. Nevertheless, insulin-dependent glucose uptake in white adipose tissue decreases after in vivo treatment with leptin...
- Evidence indicating that renal tubular metabolism of leptin is mediated by megalin but not by the leptin receptorsHitomi Hama
Department of Clinical Nephrology and Rheumatology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata 951 8510, Japan
Endocrinology 145:3935-40. 2004b>Leptin is secreted by adipocytes and is a circulating factor that regulates food intake and energy expenditure...
- Feeding and insulin increase leptin translation. Importance of the leptin mRNA untranslated regionsMi Jeong Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 282:72-80. 2007The post-transcriptional mechanisms by which feeding and insulin increase leptin production are poorly understood...
- Maternal perinatal undernutrition drastically reduces postnatal leptin surge and affects the development of arcuate nucleus proopiomelanocortin neurons in neonatal male rat pupsFabien Delahaye
Unité de Neurosciences et Physiologie Adaptatives, Equipe Associée 4052, Bâtiment SN4, 2eme etage, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 59655, Villeneuve d Ascq Cedex, France
Endocrinology 149:470-5. 2008..The present study aimed at examining the impact of maternal undernutrition on leptin plasma levels in newborn male rats and on the arcuate nucleus proopiomelanocortin (POMC) and neuropeptide Y (NPY) ..
- ICV leptin effects on spontaneous physical activity and feeding behavior in ratsYang Ho Choi
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 2771, USA
Behav Brain Res 188:100-8. 2008Although leptin causes negative energy balance by reducing food intake and increasing energy expenditure, the effect of leptin on spontaneous physical activity (SPA) is not clearly established...
- Leptin controls adipose tissue lipogenesis via central, STAT3-independent mechanismsChristoph Buettner
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1005, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nat Med 14:667-75. 2008b>Leptin (encoded by Lep) controls body weight by regulating food intake and fuel partitioning. Obesity is characterized by leptin resistance and increased endocannabinoid tone...
- Three weeks of postweaning exercise in DIO rats produces prolonged increases in central leptin sensitivity and signalingChrista M Patterson
Neurology Service 127C VA Medical Center, 385 Tremont Ave, E Orange, NJ 07018 1095, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R537-48. 2009..To test the hypothesis that this effect is due to increased central leptin sensitivity, 4-wk-old DIO rats were fed the HE diet and left sedentary (Sed), exercised for 3 wk, and then ..
- Effect of triiodothyronine on adiponectin expression and leptin release by white adipose tissue of normal ratsA Cabanelas
Laboratório de Endocrinologia Molecular, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 42:254-60. 2010Previous studies have shown that alterations in thyroid status may lead to changes in serum leptin and adiponectin, both in humans and rodents. The mechanisms, especially for adiponectin, are unclear...
- Effect of exercise training on adipocyte-size-dependent expression of leptin and adiponectinSatoko Miyazaki
Health Promotion Science Group, Department of Human Health Science, Graduate School of Human Health Science, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Hachioji 192 0397, Japan
Life Sci 86:691-8. 2010Our aim was to evaluate the effect of exercise training (TR) on adipocyte-size-dependent expression of leptin and adiponectin.
- Low-affinity CCK-A receptors are coexpressed with leptin receptors in rat nodose ganglia: implications for leptin as a regulator of short-term satietyYing Li
Univ of Michigan, 3912 Taubman Center, SPC 5362, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G217-27. 2011The paradigm for the control of feeding behavior has changed significantly. Research has shown that leptin, in the presence of CCK, may mediate the control of short-term food intake...
- Supraphysiological triiodothyronine doses diminish leptin and adiponectin gene expression, but do not alter resistin expression in calorie restricted obese ratsR A M Luvizotto
Department of Clinical Medicine, Botucatu School of Medicine, UNESP University of São Paulo State, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 43:452-7. 2011..The present study determined the effect of T(3) on serum concentrations and gene expression of the adipokines leptin, resistin, and adiponectin in calorie-restricted obese rats...
- Leptin overexpression in VTA trans-activates the hypothalamus whereas prolonged leptin action in either region cross-desensitizesP J Scarpace
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Neuropharmacology 65:90-100. 2013High-fat feeding or CNS leptin overexpression in chow-fed rats results in a region-specific cellular leptin resistance in medial basal hypothalamic regions and the ventral tegmental area (VTA)...
- Effects of a beta3-adrenergic agonist on glucose uptake and leptin expression and secretion in cultured adipocytes from lean and overweight (cafeteria) ratsMaria J Moreno-Aliaga
Department of Physiology and Nutrition, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:1201-7. 2002..Basal leptin secretion was increased in adipocytes of the overweight rats in relation to lean animals...
- Leptin levels in rat offspring are modified by the ratio of linoleic to alpha-linolenic acid in the maternal dietMarina Korotkova
Departments of Pediatrics, Research Centre for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Goteborg University, Sweden
J Lipid Res 43:1743-9. 2002..We have previously shown that leptin levels in suckling rats are reduced by maternal PUFA deficiency...
- Prevention of leptin binding to its receptor suppresses rat leukemic cell growth by inhibiting angiogenesisPer Ole Iversen
Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, Norway
Blood 100:4123-8. 2002b>Leptin promotes the growth and viability of hematopoietic cells, and it also stimulates microvessel formation, indicating a role for leptin in angiogenesis. Acute myelocytic leukemia (AML) remains a disease with poor prognosis...
- Leptin directly acts within the hypothalamus to stimulate gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion in vivo in ratsHajime Watanobe
Division of Internal Medicine, Clinical Research Center, International University of Health and Welfare, Otawara, Tochigi, Japan
J Physiol 545:255-68. 2002It is still not known whether leptin, an adipocyte-derived hormone, acts directly within the hypothalamus to stimulate the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)-luteinizing hormone (LH) system...
- Manipulation of neonatal gonadal steroid milieu and leptin secretion in later life in male and female ratsHajime Watanobe
Division of Internal Medicine, Clinical Research Center, International University of Health and Welfare, 2600 1 Kitakanemaru, Otawara, Tochigi 324 8501, Japan
Regul Pept 110:219-24. 2003The mechanism underlying the gender-based difference in circulating leptin levels (females>males) is still uncertain, because the difference persists even after adjustment for fat mass and sex steroid concentrations...
- Effects of acetate and butyrate on the expression of leptin and short-form leptin receptor in bovine and rat anterior pituitary cellsS Yonekura
Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Tohoku University, Amamiyamachi, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 133:165-72. 2003The effects of acetate and butyrate on leptin and leptin receptor (OB-R) expression in bovine and rat anterior pituitary were examined...
- Leptin signaling in the hypothalamus during chronic central leptin infusionRekha Pal
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Endocrinology 144:3789-98. 2003Using a rat model of chronic central leptin infusion in which neuropeptide Y neurons develop leptin resistance, we examined whether leptin signal transduction mechanism in the hypothalamus is altered during central leptin infusion...
- Evidence that paraventricular nucleus oxytocin neurons link hypothalamic leptin action to caudal brain stem nuclei controlling meal sizeJames E Blevins
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Research Service 151 1660 S Columbian Wy, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R87-96. 2004..projections of oxytocin neurons in the parvocellular paraventricular nucleus (pPVN) are hypothesized to transmit leptin signaling from the hypothalamus to the nucleus of the solitary tract (NTS), where satiety signals from the ..
- Estrogen and raloxifene modulate leptin and its receptor in hypothalamus and adipose tissue from ovariectomized ratsRosaria Meli
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples, Italy
Endocrinology 145:3115-21. 2004..or treatment with a selective estrogen receptor modulator, raloxifene (RAL), alters leptinemia and modulates leptin receptor (Ob-R) abundance in hypothalamus and white adipose tissue, similar to the modification of adipose status ..
- Modulatory effect of leptin on nitric oxide production and lipid metabolism in term placental tissues from control and streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsVeronica White
Centro de Estudios Farmacologicos y Botanicos CEFYBO, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas CONICET, Serrano, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reprod Fertil Dev 16:363-72. 2004b>Leptin production by placental tissues contributes to its circulating levels and functions. The diabetic pathology induces alterations in leptin levels...
- Leptin deficiency enhances sensitivity of rats to alcoholic steatohepatitis through suppression of metallothioneinKengo Tomita
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G1078-85. 2004..Recent reports have shown that Kupffer cell dysfunction in the leptin-deficient state contributes partly to the increased sensitivity to endotoxin liver injury...
- Luminal leptin activates mucin-secreting goblet cells in the large bowelPascale Plaisancie
INSERM, U773, Centre de Recherche Bichat Beaujon CRB3, Paris, France
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G805-12. 2006b>Leptin has been suggested to be involved in tissue injury and/or mucosal defence mechanisms. Here, we studied the effects of leptin on colonic mucus secretion and rat mucin 2 (rMuc2) expression. Wistar rats and ob/ob mice were used...
- Leptin induces interleukin-1beta release from rat microglial cells through a caspase 1 independent mechanismEmmanuel Pinteaux
Faculty of Life Sciences, Michael Smith Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
J Neurochem 102:826-33. 2007b>Leptin regulates energy balance by suppressing appetite and increasing energy expenditure through actions in the hypothalamus...
- Effects of testosterone on leptin production in anterior pituitary cells of rats: an immunohistochemical studyI Kus
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Arch Androl 53:79-82. 2007..was to immunohistochemically examine the effects of orchidectomy and administration of testosterone hormone on leptin production in the rat anterior pituitary. Twenty-one male Wistar rats were divided into three groups...
- Leptin responsiveness restored by amylin agonism in diet-induced obesity: evidence from nonclinical and clinical studiesJonathan D Roth
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:7257-62. 2008..g., leptin, a hypothalamic signal) and short-term satiety (e.g., amylin, a hindbrain signal)...
- Curcumin eliminates leptin's effects on hepatic stellate cell activation via interrupting leptin signalingYoucai Tang
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Saint Louis University, 1100 S Grand Boulevard, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Endocrinology 150:3011-20. 2009..is commonly found in patients with obesity and is often accompanied with abnormally elevated levels of plasma leptin, i.e. hyperleptinemia. A relatively high population of NASH patients develops hepatic fibrosis, even cirrhosis...
- The cardioprotective actions of leptin are lost in the Zucker obese (fa/fa) ratRichard A Dixon
The Hatter Cardiovascular Institute, University College London Hospital Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 53:311-7. 2009Protection against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury, including that induced by leptin, involves activation of the reperfusion injury salvage kinase pathway and inhibition of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore...
- The protective effect of irbesartan in rats fed a high fat diet is associated with modification of leptin-adiponectin imbalanceNatalia de las Heras
Department of Physiology, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Hypertens Suppl 27:S37-41. 2009..This study aimed to show whether the angiotensin II type 1 receptor blocker, irbesartan, exerts a protective effect against metabolic and cardiovascular abnormalities in rats fed a high fat diet (HFD)...
- Leptin affects intestinal epithelial cell turnover in correlation with leptin receptor expression along the villus-crypt axis after massive small bowel resection in a ratIgor Sukhotnik
Department Pediatric Surgery, Bnai Zion Medical Center, 47 Golomb St, P O B 4940, Haifa 31048, Israel
Pediatr Res 66:648-53. 2009In this study, we examine the responsiveness of intestinal epithelial cell turnover to leptin (LEP) in correlation with leptin receptor (LEPr) expression along the villus-crypt axis in a rat with short bowel syndrome (SBS)...
- Fyn mediates leptin actions in the thymus of rodentsAlessandra Girasol
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
PLoS ONE 4:e7707. 2009Several effects of leptin in the immune system rely on its capacity to modulate cytokine expression and apoptosis in the thymus...
- Large litter rearing enhances leptin sensitivity and protects selectively bred diet-induced obese rats from becoming obeseChrista M Patterson
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Endocrinology 151:4270-9. 2010..rats selectively bred to develop diet-induced obesity (DIO) from becoming obese by overcoming their inborn central leptin resistance...
- Leptin role in the rat prostate ventral lobeSicilia Colli
Urogenital Research Unit, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Fertil Steril 95:1490-3.e1. 2011The involvement of leptin in prostate diseases is related to an increase in the gene expression of both a and b isoform leptin receptors, leptin itself, androgen receptor, and aromatase, as well as by a reduction in both estrogen isoform ..
- Effect of leptin on bone metabolism in rat model of traumatic brain injury and femoral fractureLei Wang
Department of Orthopedics, Affiliated People s Hospital of Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province, China
Chin J Traumatol 14:7-13. 2011To observe serum and callus leptin expression within the setting of fracture and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Hyperphagia and central mechanisms for leptin resistance during pregnancyM L Trujillo
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, C San Francisco s n, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Endocrinology 152:1355-65. 2011The purpose of this work was to study the central mechanisms involved in food intake regulation and leptin resistance during gestation in the rat...
- The molecular mechanism of leptin secretion and expression induced by aristolochic acid in kidney fibroblastTsung Chieh Lin
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e16654. 2011b>Leptin is a peptide hormone playing pivotal role in regulating food intake and energy expenditure. Growing evidence has suggested the pro-inflammatory and fibrogenic properties of leptin...
- Hippocampal leptin signaling reduces food intake and modulates food-related memory processingScott E Kanoski
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1859-70. 2011..Here we examine whether administration of the adiposity hormone leptin to the dorsal and ventral sub-regions of the hippocampus influences food intake and memory for food. Leptin (0...
- Sp1 and Sp3 transcription factors mediate leptin-induced collagen α1(I) gene expression in primary culture of male rat hepatic stellate cellsInmaculada García-Ruiz
Research Institute, University Hospital 12 de Octubre, School of Medicine, Universidad Complutense, 28041 Madrid, Spain
Endocrinology 153:5845-56. 2012Mechanisms by which leptin stimulates collagen α(1)(I) [Col1a(I)] gene expression are unclear...
- Leptin-induced increase in body fat content of ratsRuth B S Harris
Department of Physiology, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 304:E267-81. 2013We previously reported that peripheral leptin infusions in chronically decrebrate rats, in which the forebrain is neurally isolated from the hindbrain, increased body fat and decreased energy expenditure...
- Immunohistochemical expression and distribution of orexin, orphanin and leptin in the major salivary glands of some mammalsAngelo Leone
Department of Biomedicine and Clinical Neuroscience BioNec, School of Medicine, Univeristy of Palermo, Italy
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 50:504-12. 2012The aim of the study was to determine by immunochemistry the expression of leptin, orexin A and orphanin FQ in the major salivary glands (parotid, submandibular and sublingual) of rat, sheep and cow...
- Leptin and ghrelin prevent hippocampal dysfunction induced by Aβ oligomersI Martins
University of Coimbra, Portugal
Neuroscience 241:41-51. 2013It was recently established that the stomach-derived ghrelin and the adipokine leptin promote learning and memory through actions within the hippocampus...
- Gut microbiota composition in male rat models under different nutritional status and physical activity and its association with serum leptin and ghrelin levelsMaría Isabel Queipo-Ortuño
Biomedical Research Laboratory, Virgen de la Victoria Hospital FIMABIS, Malaga, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e65465. 2013..Several evidences indicate that gut microbiota is involved in the control of host energy metabolism...
- Leptin gene promoter DNA methylation in WNIN obese mutant ratsRajender Rao Kalashikam
Molecular Genetics, National Center for Laboratory Animal Sciences, National Institute of Nutrition, Jamai Osmania P O, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Lipids Health Dis 13:25. 2014Obesity has become an epidemic in worldwide population. Leptin gene defect could be one of the causes for obesity...
- Pre-pubertal serum leptin levels and sensitivity to central leptin injection of prenatally undernourished female ratsTakeshi Iwasa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Institute of Health Biosciences, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan Electronic address
Int J Dev Neurosci 35:52-4. 2014..e., insulin resistance and diabetes, and that leptin resistance plays a pivotal role in the pathology of such intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR)-related conditions...
- Regulation of adipokines by polyunsaturated fatty acids in a rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitisWen Jin Ding
Department of Gastroenterology, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092
Arch Iran Med 17:563-8. 2014..Thus, the aim of our study was to investigate the effects of PUFAs on adipokines, as well as lipid and glycometabolism, in a rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)...
- [Three subtypes expressions of leptin receptor in the rat anterior pituitary and influence of leptin on intracellular free Ca2+ of the rat growth hormone cell]Ya Li Liu
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Preclinical Medicine, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 20:349-53. 2004To observe the expression of Leptin receptors (OB-R) in male rat anterior pituitary, and study the influence of Leptin on the level of intracellular free Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) in the cultured growth hormone (GH) cell of male rat pituitary.
- Response of gut hormones after implantation of a reversible gastric restrictive device in different animal modelsXiaomei Guo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis School of Engineering and Technology, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Surg Res 178:165-71. 2012..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the ghrelin, glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), and leptin levels in nonobese canine and obese rat models after weight loss owing to a reversible gastric restriction (RGR) ..
- Effects of a moderate physical training on the leptin synthesis by adipose tissue of adult rats submitted to a perinatal low-protein dietI H P de Mélo Montenegro
Department of Nutrition, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 44:814-8. 2012The aim of the study was to verify if moderate physical training affects leptin content in visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue of adult rats subjected to a low-protein diet during the perinatal period...
- Selective leptin insensitivity and alterations in female-reproductive patterns linked to hyperleptinemia during infancyMariana Schroeder
Psychology Department, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
PLoS ONE 8:e59937. 2013..and genetically obese OLETF females to a lean postnatal environment, to assess long term alterations in leptin sensitivity, predisposition to diet induced obesity and adult female health...
- Effects of neonatal castration and androgenization on sexual dimorphism in bone, leptin and corticosterone secretionWagner Garcez de Mello
Multicentric Graduate Studies Program in Physiological Sciences, Brazilian Physiological Society Univ Estadual Paulista, SP, Brazil
Bone 50:893-900. 2012This study investigated the role of neonatal sex steroids in rats on sexual dimorphism in bone, as well as on leptin and corticosterone concentrations throughout the lifespan...
- Effects of apelin and leptin on renal functions following renal ischemia/reperfusion: An experimental studyTamer Sagiroglu
Departments of General Surgery, and
Exp Ther Med 3:908-914. 2012The present study aimed to investigate the effects of apelin and leptin on renal functions following renal ischemia/reperfusion (I/R). A total of 32 rats were divided into four groups...
- Association of serum leptin with hypoventilation in human obesityP R Phipps
Centre for Respiratory Failure and Sleep Disorders, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Thorax 57:75-6. 2002b>Leptin is a protein hormone produced by fat cells of mammals. It acts within the hypothalamus via a specific receptor to reduce appetite and increase energy expenditure...
- Specific increase in leptin production in obese (falfa) rat adipose cellsSophie Turban
U 465 INSERM, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Biochem J 362:113-8. 2002..The aim of this study was to gain insight into their secretory function, by assessing two secreted proteins, leptin and angiotensinogen, in adipose cells of obese (fa/fa) Zucker rats...
- Leptin suppression of hypothalamic NPY expression and feeding, but not amygdala NPY expression and experimental anxietyA Thorsell
Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 71:425-30. 2002b>Leptin decreases food intake through actions in the hypothalamus, partly through interactions with neuropeptide Y (NPY). However, NPY also produces behavioral antistress effects mediated inter alia through the amygdala...
- Proadipogenic effect of leptin on rat preadipocytes in vitro: activation of MAPK and STAT3 signaling pathwaysF Machinal-Quelin
Service de Biochimie, Faculté de médecine Paris Ouest, Université Descartes Paris V, Centre Hospitalier de Poissy, 78303 Poissy Cedex, France
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282:C853-63. 2002Because leptin has recently been shown to induce proliferation and/or differentiation of different cell types through different pathways, the aim of the present study was to investigate, in vitro, the influence of leptin on adipogenesis ..
- Leptin-deficient mice exhibit impaired host defense in Gram-negative pneumoniaPeter Mancuso
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Immunol 168:4018-24. 2002b>Leptin is an adipocyte-derived hormone that is secreted in correlation with total body lipid stores. Serum leptin levels are lowered by the loss of body fat mass that would accompany starvation and malnutrition...
- Plasma leptin-binding activity and hypothalamic leptin receptor expression during pregnancy and lactation in the ratRuth M Seeber
School of Anatomy and Human Biology and The Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Biol Reprod 66:1762-7. 2002b>Leptin, the 16-kDa peptide hormone product of the ob gene, regulates body weight via the hypothalamus but also influences several aspects of reproductive function...
- Short-term leptin-dependent inhibition of hepatic gluconeogenesis is mediated by insulin receptor substrate-2Christian Anderwald
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Vienna, Austria A 1090
Mol Endocrinol 16:1612-28. 2002b>Leptin has both insulin-like and insulin-antagonistic effects on glucose metabolism. To test whether leptin interferes directly with insulin signaling, we perfused isolated rat livers with leptin (0.1, 0...
- A phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase phosphodiesterase 3B-cyclic AMP pathway in hypothalamic action of leptin on feedingAllan Z Zhao
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:727-8. 2002..we found that cilostamide, a phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor, (i) reversed the established effects of leptin on food intake and body weight, (ii) blocked, at the hypothalamic level, the leptin-induced tyrosine ..
- Effect of high-fat diet on body composition and hormone responses to glucose tolerance testsJ L Brown
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
Endocrine 19:327-32. 2002..potential hormonal mediators of the effect of high-fat diets on the development of insulin resistance, blood leptin, growth hormone (GH), glucose, and insulin responses to a 2 g/kg BW oral glucose challenge were evaluated in ..
- Galanin-like peptide stimulates the release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone in vitro and may mediate the effects of leptin on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axisAsha Seth
Division of Metabolic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 145:743-50. 2004b>Leptin regulates the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in relation to nutritional status. The mechanism through which leptin mediates its effects on neuroendocrine reproductive circuits remains unclear...
- N-acetylation of hypothalamic alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone and regulation by leptinLi Guo
Division of Endocrinology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:11797-802. 2004The central melanocortin system is critical in the regulation of appetite and body weight, and leptin exerts its anorexigenic actions partly by increasing hypothalamic proopiomelanocortin (POMC) expression...
- Effects of diet and time of the day on serum and CSF leptin levels in Osborne-Mendel and S5B/Pl ratsYuri Ishihara
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 70808, USA
Obes Res 12:1067-76. 2004To characterize the effects of dietary fat on the diurnal variation in serum and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leptin levels in Osborne-Mendel (OM) and S5B/Pl rats and quantitate the dose response to lower doses of leptin administered into ..
- Role of calcium in the secretion of leptin from white adipocytesPhilippe G Cammisotto
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R1380-6. 2004The mechanism by which calcium regulates leptin secretion was studied in adipocytes isolated from rat white adipose tissue...
- Circulating leptin mediates lipopolysaccharide-induced anorexia and fever in ratsChristelle Sachot
Douglas Hospital Research Center, McGill University, 6875 Boulevard LaSalle, Verdun, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
J Physiol 561:263-72. 2004..that can be triggered by the bacterial endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and the appetite suppressant leptin. Previous studies have demonstrated that LPS induces leptin synthesis and secretion in the periphery, and that the ..
- Differential regulation of leptin synthesis in rats during short-term hypoxia and short-term carbon monoxide inhalationUdo Meissner
Department of Pediatrics, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Endocrinology 146:215-20. 2005b>Leptin is a circulating hormone that is secreted primarily by adipose tissue...
- Leptin fluctuates in intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injury as inflammatory cytokineJi Lin
Research Laboratory of Biochemistry, Basic Medical Institute, General Hospital of PLA, 28 Fuxing Road, Beijing 100853, PR China
Peptides 25:2187-93. 2004As leptin is an active mediator mainly secreted by adipose tissue and is closely related with energy metabolism, we evaluate both the changes of leptin levels in serum and adipose tissue with a concise radioimmunoassay and the changes of ..
- Leptin modulates both resorption and formation while preventing disuse-induced bone loss in tail-suspended female ratsAline Martin
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale E0366, University Hospital, boulevard Pasteur, 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex2, France
Endocrinology 146:3652-9. 2005In vitro studies have demonstrated leptin-positive effects on the osteoblast lineage and negative effects on osteoclastogenesis...
- Suppression of leptin receptor messenger ribonucleic acid and leptin responsiveness in the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus during pregnancy in the ratS R Ladyman
Centre for Neuroendocrinology and Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Endocrinology 146:3868-74. 2005Pregnancy in the rat is a state of leptin resistance associated with impaired leptin signal transduction in the hypothalamus...
- Linkage exclusion analysis of two candidate regions on chromosomes 7 and 11: leptin and UCP2/UCP3 are not QTLs for obesity in US CaucasiansJing Jing Guo
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan 410081, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:602-8. 2005b>Leptin (LEP) and the uncoupling proteins 2 and 3 (UCP2/UCP3) are key molecules involved in the regulation of food intake and energy expenditure...
- Dual roles of P2 purinergic receptors in insulin-stimulated leptin production and lipolysis in differentiated rat white adipocytesHyun Lee
Department of Life Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Korea
J Biol Chem 280:28556-63. 2005..To examine whether leptin synthesis and lipolysis are influenced by P2 purinergic receptor activation, the effects of ATP and other ..
- Leptin enhances ovulation and attenuates the effects produced by food restrictionE A Roman
Dpto de Química Biológìca, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales FCEyN, Universidad de Buenos Aires UBA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mol Cell Endocrinol 242:33-41. 2005..study were to investigate the effects of chronic feed deprivation on the ovulatory process, and to assess whether leptin administration is able to alter these effects...
- Effect of leptin on insulin resistance of muscle--direct or indirect?K O Doh
Department of Physiology, Dongguk University College of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Physiol Res 55:413-9. 2006We examined the effect of leptin on the insulin resistance in skeletal muscles by measuring glucose transport. Male Wistar rats were fed rat chow or high-fat diets for 30 days...
- Leptin enhances NR2B-mediated N-methyl-D-aspartate responses via a mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent process in cerebellar granule cellsA J Irving
Neurosciences Institute, Division of Pathology and Neuroscience, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Neuroscience 138:1137-48. 2006It is well documented that the hormone leptin regulates energy balance via its actions in the hypothalamus. However, evidence is accumulating that leptin plays a key role in numerous CNS functions...
- GABAA receptor antagonists prevent abnormalities in leptin, insulin and amylin actions on paraventricular hypothalamic neurons of overweight ratsHelga Davidowa
Institut fur Neurophysiologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 23:1248-54. 2006..the medial parvocellular part of the paraventricular nucleus were significantly activated by the adiposity signals leptin, insulin and amylin in controls...
- Altered hypothalamic leptin, insulin, and melanocortin binding associated with moderate-fat diet and predisposition to obesityBoman G Irani
Department of Neurology, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Endocrinology 148:310-6. 2007Rats with a genetic predisposition to develop diet-induced obesity (DIO) have a preexisting reduction in central leptin and insulin sensitivity. High-fat diets also reduce sensitivity to leptin, insulin, and melanocortin agonists...
- Rapid inhibition of neurons in the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus by leptinK W Williams
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, MS 508 Chandler Medical Center, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Endocrinology 148:1868-81. 2007The peptide leptin conveys the availability of adipose energy stores to the brain...
- Neuropeptide W exerts a potent suppressive effect on blood leptin and insulin concentrations in the ratMarcin Rucinski
Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 60 781 Poznan, Poland
Int J Mol Med 19:401-5. 2007..Both NPB and NPW affect food intake and energy expenditure. Since leptin, a potent anti-obesity hormone, and insulin are involved in the control of energy homeostasis, the present study ..
- Effects of in vivo and in vitro administration of ghrelin, leptin and neuropeptide mediators on pulsatile gonadotrophin-releasing hormone secretion from male rat hypothalamus before and after pubertyM C Lebrethon
Developmental Neuroendocrinology Unit, Center of Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, Division of Ambulatory Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Liege, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgium
J Neuroendocrinol 19:181-8. 2007The present study aimed to investigate the effects of leptin and ghrelin on pulsatile pulsatile gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion in vitro with emphasis on neuropeptide mediators and changes between prepuberty (15 days) and ..
- Conjugated linoleic acid inhibits glucose metabolism, leptin and adiponectin secretion in primary cultured rat adipocytesP Pérez-Matute
Department of Physiology and Nutrition, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Mol Cell Endocrinol 268:50-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to examine the direct effects of CLA on leptin and adiponectin secretion, two hormones with actions known to influence insulin sensitivity...
- Leptin-mediated hypothalamic pathway of cholecystokinin (CCK-8) to regulate body weight in free-feeding ratsBeatriz Merino
Departamento de Farmacologia, Tecnología y Desarrollo Farmacéutico, Universidad San Pablo CEU, Urbanizacion Monteprincipe, Boadilla del Monte, Madrid, Spain
Endocrinology 149:1994-2000. 2008..in free-feeding rats, the effect of CCK-8 on 1) food intake, BW, and adiposity; 2) skeletal muscle metabolism; 3) leptin signaling pathway within the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus; and 4) the permeability of brain barriers to ..
- Traumatic brain injury induces adipokine gene expression in rat brainRussell Brown
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Neurosci Lett 432:73-8. 2008..Adipokine genes such as leptin (ob), resistin (rstn) and fasting-induced adipose factor (fiaf) are implicated in energy metabolism and body ..
- Adiponectin and leptin are secreted through distinct trafficking pathways in adipocytesLinglin Xie
Division of Biology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1782:99-108. 2008Adiponectin and leptin are two adipokines secreted by white adipose tissue that regulate insulin sensitivity...
- Systemic administration of leptin decreases plasma corticosterone levels: role of hypothalamic norepinephrineKimberly A Clark
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Brain Res 1195:89-95. 2008b>Leptin, an adipocyte-derived hormone, is known to regulate a variety of neuroendocrine functions...
- Plasma ghrelin and leptin in adult cystic fibrosis patientsRubin I Cohen
The Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center, The Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, The Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
J Cyst Fibros 7:398-402. 2008..may be associated with altered levels of appetite stimulating peptide ghrelin and the appetite decreasing peptide leptin. However, prior data on leptin in CF are conflicting, while the data on ghrelin are scarce...
- Epidermal growth factor and parathyroid hormone-related peptide mRNA in the mammary gland and their concentrations in milk: effects of postpartum hypoxia in lactating ratsE D Bruder
Endocrine Research Laboratory, Aurora St Luke s Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Horm Metab Res 40:446-53. 2008..Decreased food intake did not affect the expression of EGF, PTHLH, or LEP mRNA in mammary tissue...
- Leptin regulated calcium channels of neuropeptide Y and proopiomelanocortin neurons by activation of different signal pathwaysJ H Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 13 Hangkong Road, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Neuroscience 156:89-98. 2008The fat-derived hormone leptin regulates food intake and body weight in part by modulating the activity of neuropeptide Y (NPY) and proopiomelanocortin (POMC) neurons in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus (ARC)...
- Polymorphism of human leptin receptor gene is associated with type 2 diabetic patients complicated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in ChinaHongyun Lu
Department of Endocrinology, The Fifth Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Zhuhai, Guangdong, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:228-32. 2009To investigate the relationship between human leptin receptor (LEPR) gene G3057A polymorphism and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients complicated with or without non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- High-fat diet-induced obesity leads to resistance to leptin-induced cardiomyocyte contractile responseJun Ren
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Wyoming College of Health Sciences, Laramie, Wyoming, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2417-23. 2008Levels of the obese gene product leptin are often elevated in obesity and may contribute to obesity-induced cardiovascular complications. However, the role of leptin in obesity-associated cardiac abnormalities has not been clearly defined...
- Elevated leptin expression in a rat model of fracture and traumatic brain injuryYongzhong Wei
Department of Orthopedics, The First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 60:1667-72. 2008A few studies have reported a relationship between leptin induced by brain injury and healing of bone tissue. Our objective was to measure serum and callus leptin expression within the setting of fracture and traumatic brain injury (TBI)...
- IMPAIRED LEPTIN RESPONSIVENESS WITH AGEPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These rats demonstrate a steady increase in body fat into early senescence similar to what occurs in humans. Leptin, the product of the ob gene, is an afferent signal molecule, synthesized by white adipose tissue, that interacts ..
- Leptin resistance: 1 mechanism underlying age-related obesityPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Most obese animal models, whether associated with genetic, diet-induced or age-related obesity, display pronounced leptin resistance, rendering leptin treatment futile in treating obesity...
- Age-related Obesity: Interventions with Gene DeliveryPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Most obese animal models, whether associated with genetic, diet-induced or age-related obesity, display pronounced leptin resistance, rendering leptin treatment futile in treating obesity...
- Mechanisms of Leptin Signaling in the HypothalamusAbhiram Sahu; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Leptin, a product of the obese gene, is one of the most important peripheral satiety factors that inhibits food intake ..
- LEPTIN ACTION ON HYPOTHALAMIC PEPTIDES GOVERNING FEEDINGAbhiram Sahu; Fiscal Year: 2001The goal of this project is to understand the neurobiological basis of food intake and body weight regulation. Leptin, a product of the obese gene in fat cells, is one of the most important peripheral satiety factors that inhibits food ..
- Regulation of Pulmonary Host Defense by LeptinPeter Mancuso; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Leptin is hormone produced by adipose tissue that is reduced in the energy malnourished and is known to regulate innate ..
- Melanocortins, Energy Balance and Cancer AnorexiaBrent Wisse; Fiscal Year: 2006..system is highlighted by the fact that compensatory changes engendered by weight loss, such as decreases in serum leptin, are unable to effect the normal hypothalamic responses that stimulate a return to the baseline body weight...
- HYPOTHALAMIC NEUROTRANSMITTER SYSTEMS & EATING BEHAVIORSARAH LEIBOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..by overeating of high-fat or high-carbohydrate diets in rats; 2) Specific Aim 2, the differential traits of obese and lean rats on high-fat or high-carbohydrate diets in rats; 3) Specific Aim 3, conditions in which chronic ..
- Regulation of c-fos By Nerve Growth FactorMichael Pellegrino; Fiscal Year: 2006..This work will help us to further understand the regulation of neuronal differentiation. ..
- Effects of Myostatin Deficiency on Bone StrengthMark Hamrick; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Acetaldehyde in Alcoholic CardiomyopathyJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to establish the toxic mechanism of acetaldehyde in the development of alcoholic cardiomyopathy so that prevention and treatment can be optimized [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ethanol Effects in the Mammalian Circadian ClockRebecca Prosser; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hypothalamic Leptin and Insulin SignalingChristopher Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2007..Recent evidence indicates that obesity is associated with a reduced ability of the adiposity hormones insulin and leptin to engage key neuronal circuits within the brain, and that genetic modifications that enhance insulin and leptin ..
- IGF-1, Oxidative Stress and Cardiovascular AgingJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our long-term goal is to establish the causal link among IGF-1 deficiency, enhanced oxidative damage and ventricular dysfunction in the progression of cardiovascular aging so that hormonal or antioxidant therapy can be optimized...
- HYPOTHALAMIC NEUROTRANSMITTER SYSTEMS & EATING BEHAVIORSarah F Leibowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..In summary, this grant tests the novel hypothesis that a high-fat diet itself can promote overeating and ultimately dietary obesity through a positive feedback loop involving circulating lipids, hypothalamic peptides and accumbens DA. ..
- Mentored Clinical Research Scholar Program at IowaALLYN MARK; Fiscal Year: 2007..These and other University research programs extend into the community--statewide and beyond--and include numerous disease registers and a broad network of collaborating institutions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..