Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Htr2c
Description: 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2C
Alias: 5-HT2C, 5-HTR2C, 5HT-1C, 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2C, 5-HT-1C, 5-HT1C, 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 2C, G protein-coupled, 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 1C, serotonin 1c receptor, serotonin receptor 2C
- Allelic association analysis of the 5-HT2C receptor gene in bipolar affective disorderB Gutierrez
Unitat d Antropologia, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 212:65-7. 1996..03). A small increase in significance was found if only female cases with a known family history were included (P = 0.01). These results suggest that the ser23 allele may increase susceptibility to bipolar affective disorder in women...
- Unique expression patterns of 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors in the rat brain during postnatal development: Western blot and immunohistochemical analysesQing Hua Li
Department of Physiology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585 Japan
J Comp Neurol 469:128-40. 2004..These results suggest that 5-HT2 receptors have potential significance in brain development, with a functional difference between 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor subtypes...
- Distribution of 5-hydroxytriptamine2C receptor mRNA in rat retinaJorge Alberto Perez-Leon
Laboratorio de Neurobiología Molecular y Celular, Departamento de Neurobiologia Celular y Molecular, Instituto de Neurobiologia, Campus UNAM Juriquilla, cp 76 001, AP 1 1141 Querétaro, Mexico
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 125:140-2. 2004..Thus, the 5HT2CR gene is expressed by retinal neurons, some of which represent third-order neurons, either amacrine or ganglion cells. This suggests that 5-HT may modulate the outgoing signal from the retina...
- Differential effects of 5-methyl-1-[[2-[(2-methyl-3-pyridyl)oxyl]-5-pyridyl]carbamoyl]-6-trifluoromethylindone (SB 243213) on 5-hydroxytryptamine(2C) receptor-mediated responsesKelly A Berg
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:260-8. 2006....
- Possible involvement of spinal noradrenergic mechanisms in the antiallodynic effect of intrathecally administered 5-HT2C receptor agonists in the rats with peripheral nerve injuryHideaki Obata
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22, Showa, Maebashi, Gunma, 371 0801 Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 567:89-94. 2007..Taken together, these findings suggest that 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(2C) receptors in the dorsal horn of the spinal cord might be involved in alleviating neuropathic pain by different mechanisms...
- Functional status of the serotonin 5-HT2C receptor (5-HT2CR) drives interlocked phenotypes that precipitate relapse-like behaviors in cocaine dependenceNOELLE C ANASTASIO
1 Center for Addiction Research, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA 2 Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 39:370-82. 2014..Thus, impulsive action and cue reactivity appear to neuromechanistically overlap in rodents, with the 5-HT2CR functional status acting as a neural rheostat to regulate, in part, the intersection between these vulnerability behaviors. ..
- Disruption of PTEN coupling with 5-HT2C receptors suppresses behavioral responses induced by drugs of abuseShao Ping Ji
Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan, 103 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 5E4
Nat Med 12:324-9. 2006..These results suggest a potential strategy for treating drug addiction with the Tat-3L4F peptide...
- Region-dependent regulation of mesoaccumbens dopamine neurons in vivo by the constitutive activity of central serotonin2C receptorsSylvia Navailles
Unité Mixte de Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR CNRS 5541, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Boîte Postale 31, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Neurochem 99:1311-9. 2006..These findings demonstrate that both VTA and NAc 5-HT(2C)Rs participate in the inhibitory control exerted by 5-HT(2C)Rs on accumbal DA release, and that the NAc shell may represent a primary action site for the CA of 5-HT(2C)Rs...
- Differential regulation of the mesoaccumbens dopamine circuit by serotonin2C receptors in the ventral tegmental area and the nucleus accumbens: an in vivo microdialysis study with cocaineSylvia Navailles
Unité Mixte de Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR CNRS 5541, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:237-46. 2008....
- 5-hydroxytryptamine 2C receptors in the dorsal striatum mediate stress-induced interference with negatively reinforced instrumental escape behaviorP V Strong
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
Neuroscience 197:132-44. 2011....
- Serotonin2C receptor localization in GABA neurons of the rat medial prefrontal cortex: implications for understanding the neurobiology of addictionS Liu
Center for Addiction Research, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 1031, USA
Neuroscience 146:1677-88. 2007....
- Modulation of dopamine release by striatal 5-HT2C receptorsKatherine D Alex
Department of Neuroscience, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Synapse 55:242-51. 2005....
- Activation of 5-HT2C receptors acutely induces Per1 gene expression in the rat SCN in vitroTamara J Varcoe
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Brain Res 1209:19-28. 2008..This response was similar to that previously observed in vivo. This provides support for the hypothesis that the actions of 5-HT2C receptor agonists are on cells located within the SCN...
- Regulation of serotonin-2C receptor G-protein coupling by RNA editingC M Burns
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6600, USA
Nature 387:303-8. 1997....
- Identification, molecular cloning, and distribution of a short variant of the 5-hydroxytryptamine2C receptor produced by alternative splicingH Canton
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashvile, Tennessee 37232, USA
Mol Pharmacol 50:799-807. 1996..Although this study demonstrates tissue-specific expression of two 5-HT2C mRNA splice variants in rat, mouse, and human, the significance of the truncated form in these three species remains to be established...
- Agonist-induced phosphorylation of the serotonin 5-HT2C receptor regulates its interaction with multiple PDZ protein 1Lisan L Parker
Department of Medicine, and Center for Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 23rd Avenue at Pierce, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 278:21576-83. 2003..We conclude that 5-HT2C R interaction with MUPP1 is dynamically regulated by phosphorylation at Ser458...
- Incubation of cocaine cue reactivity associates with neuroadaptations in the cortical serotonin (5-HT) 5-HT2C receptor (5-HT2CR) systemS E Swinford-Jackson
Center for Addiction Research, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Neuroscience 324:50-61. 2016..Collectively, these outcomes are the first indication that neuroadaptations in the 5-HT2CR system may contribute to incubation of cocaine cue reactivity. ..
- Activation of 5-HT2A/C receptor reduces glycine receptor-mediated currents in cultured auditory cortical neuronsBin Luo
Department of Otolaryngology, Anhui Provincial Hospital Affiliated to Anhui Medical University, Hefei, 230001, China
Amino Acids 48:349-56. 2016....
- Serotonin (5-HT) 5-HT2A Receptor (5-HT2AR):5-HT2CR Imbalance in Medial Prefrontal Cortex Associates with Motor ImpulsivityNOELLE C ANASTASIO
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, United States
ACS Chem Neurosci 6:1248-58. 2015..We infer that there is an interactive relationship between the mPFC 5-HT2AR and 5-HT2CR, and that a 5-HT2AR:5-HT2CR imbalance may be a functionally relevant mechanism underlying motor impulsivity. ..
- Discovering the mechanisms underlying serotonin (5-HT)2A and 5-HT2C receptor regulation following nicotine withdrawal in ratsMagdalena Zaniewska
Laboratory of Drug Addiction Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland
J Neurochem 134:704-16. 2015..5-HT, serotonin; 5-HT2A R, 5-HT2A receptor; 5-HT2C R, 5-HT2C receptor...
- Serotonin-2C and -2a receptor co-expression on cells in the rat medial prefrontal cortexC Nocjar
Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, 10701 East Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA Department of Psychiatry, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA Electronic address
Neuroscience 297:22-37. 2015..Thus a complex interplay of cortical 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor mechanisms exists, which if altered, could modulate efferent brain systems implicated in mental illness. ..
- Native serotonin 5-HT2C receptors are expressed as homodimers on the apical surface of choroid plexus epithelial cellsKatharine Herrick-Davis
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York K H D, E G, T L, M T, J E M Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York F M and Center for Cell Analysis and Modeling, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut A C
Mol Pharmacol 87:660-73. 2015..This study is the first to demonstrate the homodimeric structure of 5-HT2C receptors endogenously expressed in their native cellular environment, and identifies the homodimer as a functional signaling unit. ..
- Cocaine modulation of frontostriatal expression of Zif268, D2, and 5-HT2c receptors in high and low impulsive ratsMorgane Besson
Behavioral and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Neuropsychopharmacology 38:1963-73. 2013..These findings implicate novel markers underlying the vulnerability of impulsive rats to cocaine addiction that localize to the OFC, infralimbic cortex, and striatum...
- Multiple conformations of 5-HT2A and 5-HT 2C receptors in rat brain: an autoradiographic study with [125I](±)DOIJuan F Lopez-Gimenez
Instituto de Biomedicina y Biotecnología de Cantabria IBBTEC CSIC, UC, Santander, Spain
Exp Brain Res 230:395-406. 2013..Thus, [(125)I](±)DOI would label multiple conformations of both 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors in rat brain, and M100907 and ketanserin would recognise these conformations with different affinities. ..
- Urocortin1-induced anorexia is regulated by activation of the serotonin 2C receptor in the brainYumi Harada
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Saitama Medical University, Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan Tsumura Research Laboratories, Tsumura and Co, Ibaraki, Japan
Peptides 51:139-44. 2014..Whereas, pro-opiomelanocortin mRNA expression was not changed. In an UNC1-induced stress model, 5-HT2cR expression and activation was found in brain areas involved in feeding control. ..
- Variation within the serotonin (5-HT) 5-HT₂C receptor system aligns with vulnerability to cocaine cue reactivityN C Anastasio
Center for Addiction Research and Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Transl Psychiatry 4:e369. 2014..We found that cocaine-dependent subjects carrying a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in the HTR2C gene that encodes for the conversion of cysteine to serine at codon 23 (Ser23 variant) exhibited significantly ..
- Role(s) of the 5-HT2C receptor in the development of maximal dentate activation in the hippocampus of anesthetized ratsGergely Orbán
Dipartimento di Biomedicina Sperimentale e Neuroscienze Cliniche, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Palermo, Italy Istituto Euro Mediterraneo di Scienza e Tecnologia IEMEST, Palermo, Italy
CNS Neurosci Ther 20:651-61. 2014..Here, we have addressed the relatively unexplored relationship between temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE), the most frequent type of intractable epilepsy, and 5-HT2CRs...
- Experimental Disc Herniation in the Rat Causes Downregulation of Serotonin Receptor 2c in a TNF-dependent MannerDaniel Jönsson
Musculoskeletal Research, Department of Medical Chemistry and Cell Biology, Institute of Biomedicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, 405 30, Gothenburg, Sweden
Clin Orthop Relat Res 473:1913-9. 2015..An inflammatory reaction, with tumor necrosis factor (TNF) playing an essential role, has been demonstrated. However, the exact mechanisms of the pathophysiology of disc herniation remain unknown...
- Antagonizing 5-HT₂A receptors with M100907 and stimulating 5-HT₂C receptors with Ro60-0175 blocks cocaine-induced locomotion and zif268 mRNA expression in Sprague-Dawley ratsChristie L Burton
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 3G3
Behav Brain Res 240:171-81. 2013..Our results suggest that despite the opposing actions of 5-HT at 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(2C) receptors, ligands acting on these receptors likely modulate cocaine-induced locomotion via a common mechanism to influence DA-dependent circuitry...
- Serotonin 2C receptor alternative splicing in a spinal cord injury modelAya Nakae
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Neurosci Lett 532:49-54. 2013..This dysfunction appears to be mediated by decreased 5HTR2C mRNA expression, and alternative splicing. These results confirm the importance of considering splice variants when examining 5HTR2C...
- The time course of serotonin 2C receptor expression after spinal transection of rats: an immunohistochemical studyL Q Ren
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Neuroscience 236:31-46. 2013..This indicates that 5-HT2CR is probably an important factor underlying this pathophysiological development by increasing the excitability of both motoneurons and interneurons...
- Functional consequences of two HTR2C polymorphisms associated with antipsychotic-induced weight gainMatthew J Hill
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Queen s University Belfast, Whitla Medical Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT97BL, UK
Pharmacogenomics 12:727-34. 2011Genetic variation in the promoter region of HTR2C encoding for the 5-HT(2C) receptor is associated with antipsychotic-induced weight gain...
- Involvement of spinal serotonin receptors in electroacupuncture anti-hyperalgesia in an inflammatory pain rat modelYu Zhang
Center for Integrative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, 685 W Baltimore Street, MSTF Rm 8 22, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Neurochem Res 36:1785-92. 2011..These results show a correlation between EA anti-hyperalgesia and receptor expression. Collectively, the data show that EA activates supraspinal serotonin neurons to release 5-HT, which acts on spinal 5-HT1AR to inhibit hyperalgesia...
- 5-HT2C receptors in the basolateral amygdala and dorsal striatum are a novel target for the anxiolytic and antidepressant effects of exerciseBenjamin N Greenwood
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, Colorado, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e46118. 2012....
- 5-Hydroxytryptamine 5HT2C receptors form a protein complex with N-methyl-D-aspartate GluN2A subunits and activate phosphorylation of Src protein to modulate motoneuronal depolarizationGregory E Bigford
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
J Biol Chem 287:11049-59. 2012..These findings reveal that a distinct multiprotein complex links 5-hydroxytryptamine-activated intracellular signaling events with NMDA-mediated functional activity...
- Editing of serotonin 2C receptor mRNA in the prefrontal cortex characterizes high-novelty locomotor response behavioral traitStella Dracheva
James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:2237-51. 2009..No differences in the 5-HT(2C)R expression were detected between the behavioral phenotypes. However, editing was higher in the PFC of HRs vs LRs, implicating this region in the pathophysiology of drug abuse liability...
- 5-HT(2C) receptor activation is a common mechanism on proerectile effects of apomorphine, oxytocin and melanotan-II in ratsYasuharu Kimura
Pharmacology Research Labs, Drug Discovery Research, Astellas Pharma Inc, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 589:157-62. 2008....
- c-Src tyrosine kinase, a critical component for 5-HT2A receptor-mediated contraction in rat aortaRong Lu
Department of Anaesthesiology, Division of Molecular Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7115, USA
J Physiol 586:3855-69. 2008..Together, the results highlight c-Src activation as one of the early and pivotal mechanisms in 5-HT(2A)R contractile signalling in aorta...
- Investigation of the role of 5-HT2 receptor subtypes in the control of the bladder and the urethra in the anaesthetized female ratY Mbaki
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Hampstead Campus, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
Br J Pharmacol 155:343-56. 2008..This study investigates the role of each of the three subtypes of this receptor with emphasis on sphincter regulation...
- Excitability of pontine startle processing neurones is regulated by the two-pore-domain K+ channel TASK-3 coupled to 5-HT2C receptorsMaruschka Weber
Institute of Physiology II, Roentgenring 9, 97070 Wuerzburg, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 28:931-40. 2008..Thus, neuronal excitability of PnC giant neurones in vivo is most likely increased by serotonergic projections via the K(2)P channel TASK-3...
- Serotonin2C receptors in the medial prefrontal cortex facilitate cocaine-induced dopamine release in the rat nucleus accumbensGian Marco Leggio
INSERM U862, Neurocentre Magendie, Physiopathology of Addiction Group, Bordeaux F 33000, France
Neuropharmacology 56:507-13. 2009....
- Pyramidal neurons in rat prefrontal cortex projecting to ventral tegmental area and dorsal raphe nucleus express 5-HT2A receptorsPablo Vázquez-Borsetti
Department of Neurochemistry and Neuropharmacology, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques de Barcelona, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, IDIBAPS, Rossello 161, Barcelona, Spain
Cereb Cortex 19:1678-86. 2009..Atypical antipsychotics may distally modulate monoaminergic cells through PFC 5-HT(2A) receptor blockade, presumably decreasing the activity of neurons receiving direct cortical inputs...
- Alteration of serotonin 2C receptor expression in the aorta and the pulmonary artery in rats exposed to hypoxiaBo Zhang
Department of Pathophysiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
Chin J Physiol 51:338-47. 2008....
- Motoneuron excitability and muscle spasms are regulated by 5-HT2B and 5-HT2C receptor activityKatherine C Murray
Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Neurophysiol 105:731-48. 2011..In summary, 5-HT(2B) and 5-HT(2C) receptors on motoneurons become constitutively active after injury and ultimately contribute to recovery of motoneuron function and emergence of spasms...
- 5-HT(2C) receptors localize to dopamine and GABA neurons in the rat mesoaccumbens pathwayMarcy J Bubar
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Center for Addiction Research, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20508. 2011..Further, the indication that a proportion of NAc-projecting VTA neurons synthesize and potentially release both dopamine and GABA adds intriguing complexity to the framework of the VTA and its postulated neuroanatomical roles...
- Role of 5-HT receptor mechanisms in sub-chronic PCP-induced reversal learning deficits in the ratSamantha L McLean
Bradford School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD7 1DP, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 206:403-14. 2009..5-HT receptor mechanisms have been suggested to mediate improvements in cognition in schizophrenia...
- In vivo evidence that constitutive activity of serotonin2C receptors in the medial prefrontal cortex participates in the control of dopamine release in the rat nucleus accumbens: differential effects of inverse agonist versus antagonistGian Marco Leggio
INSERM U862, Neurocentre Magendie, Physiopathology of Addiction Group, Bordeaux F 33000, France
J Neurochem 111:614-23. 2009....
- Serotonin 2C receptor signaling in a diffuse neuronal network is necessary for LPS anorexiaBrigitte S Kopf
Physiology and Behaviour Group, ETH Zurich, Schorenstr 16, 8603, Schwerzenbach, Switzerland
Brain Res 1306:77-84. 2010....
- Stimulation of serotonin2C receptors elicits abnormal oral movements by acting on pathways other than the sensorimotor one in the rat basal gangliaA Beyeler
Universite de Bordeaux, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 5227, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Neuroscience 169:158-70. 2010..These results suggest that oral dyskinesia induced by 5-HT(2C) agonists are not restricted to aberrant signalling in the orofacial motor circuit and demonstrate discrete modifications in associative territories...
- Genetic and pharmacological evidence that 5-HT2C receptor activation, but not inhibition, affects motivation to feed under a progressive ratio schedule of reinforcementPaul J Fletcher
Section of Biopsychology, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 97:170-8. 2010....
- 5-HT2C receptor regulation of defensive responses in the rat dorsal periaqueductal grayPaula Shimene de Melo Yamashita
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Neuropharmacology 60:216-22. 2011..This finding extends to the dPAG the prominent role that has been attributed to 5-HT2C receptors in anxiety generation...
- No link of serotonin 2C receptor editing to serotonin transporter genotypeRebecca Lyddon
James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, New York, USA
Neuroreport 21:1080-4. 2010..Our findings argue against the hypothesis that 5-HT2cR editing efficiency is regulated by extracellular serotonin levels...
- Activation of the serotonin 5-HT2C receptor is involved in the enhanced anxiety in rats after single-prolonged stressKatsuya Harada
Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Astellas Pharma Inc, 21 Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8585, Japan
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 89:11-6. 2008..This suggests that selective 5-HT2C receptor antagonists might provide novel therapeutic avenues for PTSD treatment...
- A 5-HT2C receptor promoter polymorphism (HTR2C - 759C/T) is associated with obesity in women, and with resistance to weight loss in heterozygotesEdward C Pooley
University Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 126:124-7. 2004The serotonin 5-HT(2C) receptor (HTR2C) helps regulate appetite and body weight. An HTR2C promoter polymorphism (-759C/T) has been associated with obesity and with weight gain in response to antipsychotic (neuroleptic) drugs...
- The role of RNA editing of the serotonin 2C receptor in a rat model of oro-facial neuropathic painAya Nakae
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 27:2373-9. 2008..This would activate the brainstem-spinal descending 5HT systems and, in effect, suppress nociceptive signals from primary afferent neurons to the spinal trigeminal nucleus caudalis...
- Altered RNA editing of serotonin 2C receptor in a rat model of depressionKazuya Iwamoto
Laboratory for Molecular Dynamics of Mental Disorders, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Neurosci Res 53:69-76. 2005Altered RNA editing of serotonin 2C receptor (HTR2C) has been suggested to be involved in the pathophysiology of major depression...
- Differential effects of 5-HT2C receptor ligands on place conditioning and locomotor activity in ratsTera Mosher
W G Dewhurst Laboratory, Neurochemical Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry and Centre for Neuroscience, 1E7 44 WMC, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2R7
Eur J Pharmacol 515:107-16. 2005..c.) or GR 127935 (3.0 mg/kg s.c.). Behaviourally relevant levels of 5-HT2C receptor stimulation may not exert reinforcing effects, although other studies indicate that such manipulations alter reinforcing effects of drugs of abuse...
- WAY-163909 [(7bR, 10aR)-1,2,3,4,8,9,10,10a-octahydro-7bH-cyclopenta-[b][1,4]diazepino[6,7,1hi]indole], a novel 5-hydroxytryptamine 2C receptor-selective agonist with anorectic activityJohn Dunlop
Discovery Neuroscience, Wyeth Research, Princeton, NJ 08543, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 313:862-9. 2005..4 and 5.19 mg/kg i.p., respectively, consistent with the potential utility of 5-HT(2C) receptor agonists as anti-obesity agents...
- Mutagenesis analysis of the serotonin 5-HT2C receptor and a Caenorhabditis elegans 5-HT2 homologue: conserved residues of helix 4 and helix 7 contribute to agonist-dependent activation of 5-HT2 receptorsJinling Xie
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
J Neurochem 92:375-87. 2005..Taken together, these results suggest that K4.45 and S/C7.45 play an important role in the conformational rearrangements leading to agonist-induced activation of 5-HT2 receptors...
- Expression of serotonin 5-HT2C receptors in GABAergic cells of the anterior raphe nucleiJordi Serrats
Department of Neurochemistry, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona IIBB CSIC IDIBAPS, Rossello 161, 6th Floor, E 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Chem Neuroanat 29:83-91. 2005..According to this model, the excitation of GABAergic interneurons through these 5-HT2C (and also 5-HT2A) receptors would result in the suppression of 5-HT cell firing...
- Activation of 5-HT2 receptors enhances the release of acetylcholine in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus of the ratSunila G Nair
College of Pharmacy, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Synapse 53:202-7. 2004..Furthermore, it appears that the prefrontal cortex is more sensitive than the dorsal hippocampus to the stimulatory effect of 5-HT2 agonists on ACh release...
- Vasoconstrictor responses to 5-hydroxytryptamine in the autoperfused hindquarters of spontaneously hypertensive ratsE Calama
Departamento de Fisiologia y Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Salamanca, Campus Miguel de Unamuno, Salamanca, Spain
Pharmacology 71:66-72. 2004..Our data suggest that the vasoconstrictor response induced by 5-HT in the autoperfused hindquarters of SHR is mainly mediated by the activation of 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors...
- Decreased 5-HT2C receptor binding in the cerebral cortex and brain stem during pancreatic regeneration in ratsValiya veettil Mohanan
Molecular Neurobiology and Cell Biology Unit, Centre for Neuroscience, Department of Biotechnology, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin, India
Mol Cell Biochem 272:165-70. 2005..These parameters were reversed to sham level by 7 days after pancreatectomy. Thus the results suggest that 5-HT through the 5-HT2C receptor in the brain has a functional regulatory role in the pancreatic regeneration...
- Stimulation of spinal 5-HT(2A/2C) receptors potentiates the capsaicin-induced in vivo release of substance P-like immunoreactivity in the rat dorsal hornAnne Kjørsvik Bertelsen
Department of Physiology and Locus on Neuroscience, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Brain Res 987:10-6. 2003..The observation that the highest dose of DOI failed to induce SP-LI release may be due to an inhibitory postsynaptic action at this dose...
- Insulin signaling inhibits the 5-HT2C receptor in choroid plexus via MAP kinaseJoyce H Hurley
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
BMC Neurosci 4:10. 2003..In particular it is not clear whether GPCRs are modulated by tyrosine kinase receptor-MAP kinase pathways...
- Phospholipase D activation by endogenous 5-hydroxytryptamine 2C receptors is mediated by Galpha13 and pertussis toxin-insensitive Gbetagamma subunitsL McGrew
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6600, USA
Mol Pharmacol 62:1339-43. 2002..Results suggest that both alpha and free betagamma subunits from G(13) heterotrimers are responsible for phospholipase D activation...
- Effects of a high-fat diet and strain on hypothalamic gene expression in ratsAndrea O Schaffhauser
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
Obes Res 10:1188-96. 2002..This study was designed to investigate whether dietary fat and genetic background might differentially alter the expression of hypothalamic genes involved in food intake...
- Association between clozapine response and allelic variation in the 5-HT2C receptor geneM S Sodhi
Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Neuroreport 7:169-72. 1995..There was no association between schizophrenia and the 5-HT2Cser allele, but our results indicate that the 5-HT2C receptor may contain the major site of action through which clozapine mediates its antipsychotic effects...
- Reconstitution of B cell antigen receptor-induced signaling events in a nonlymphoid cell line by expressing the Syk protein-tyrosine kinaseJ D Richards
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, G W Hooper Foundation, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 271:6458-66. 1996..Thus, wild type Syk was required to reconstitute several BCR-induced signaling events but was not sufficient to couple the BCR to the phosphoinositide signaling pathway...
- Molecular characterization of a functional cDNA encoding the serotonin 1c receptorD Julius
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032
Science 241:558-64. 1988....
- The serotonin 2C receptor agonist Ro-60-0175 attenuates effects of nicotine in the five-choice serial reaction time task and in drug discriminationDavide Quarta
Section of Behavioural Pharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry P049, King s College London, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 193:391-402. 2007..There is evidence that serotonin(2C) (5-HT(2C)) receptors can modulate some behavioural effects of nicotine, but the generality of this action is not known...
- Activation of 5-HT2A/C receptors counteracts 5-HT1A regulation of n-methyl-D-aspartate receptor channels in pyramidal neurons of prefrontal cortexEunice Y Yuen
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
J Biol Chem 283:17194-204. 2008..These findings provide a framework for understanding the complex interactions between serotonin and NMDARs in PFC, which could be important for cognitive and emotional control in which both systems are highly involved...
- Serotonin (5-HT) induces glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) mRNA expression via the transactivation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in rat C6 glioma cellsMami Tsuchioka
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Institute of Clinical Research, National Hospital Organization NHO, Kure Medical Center and Chugoku Cancer Center, Kure, Japan
J Neurochem 106:244-57. 2008..In conclusion, our findings suggest that 5-HT induces GDNF mRNA expression via 5-HT(2)R-mediated FGFR2 transactivation in C6 cells...
- The membrane IgM-associated proteins MB-1 and Ig-beta are sufficient to promote surface expression of a partially functional B-cell antigen receptor in a nonlymphoid cell lineL Matsuuchi
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0448
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:3404-8. 1992..Thus, the transfected B-cell antigen receptor could initiate some signal transduction events but AtT20 cells may lack components required for other signaling events associated with mIgM...
- Opposing roles for 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors in the nucleus accumbens on inhibitory response control in the 5-choice serial reaction time taskEmma S J Robinson
Department of Experimental Psychology, Behavioral and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2398-406. 2008..Our results suggest that the NAc, but not the PL or IL, is implicated in the mediation of the effects of M100907 and SB242084 on inhibitory response control during baseline 5CSRTT performance...
- Effects of the serotonin 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor ligands on the discriminative stimulus effects of nicotine in ratsMagdalena Zaniewska
Laboratory of Drug Addiction Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 31 343 Krakow, 12 Smetna, Poland
Eur J Pharmacol 571:156-65. 2007....
- Medial parabrachial nucleus neurons modulate d-fenfluramine-induced anorexia through 5HT2C receptorsRadmila Trifunovic
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 West Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Brain Res 1067:170-6. 2006..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that medial PBN neurons mediate anorexia through 5HT2C receptors...
- Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies sensitive to conformation in the 5HT2c serotonin receptorFilippo Mancia
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:4303-8. 2007..Five of the nine mAbs have cytoplasmic epitopes, and two of these are sensitive to the ligand state of the receptor. These properties should be useful both for structural analysis and in probes of function...
- The central amygdala regulates sodium intake in sodium-depleted rats: role of 5-HT3 and 5-HT2C receptorsC P Luz
Department of Biological Sciences, State University of Southwest Bahia 45200 000, Jequie, Bahia, Brazil
Brain Res 1139:178-94. 2007....
- Increased 5-HT2C receptor binding in the brain stem and cerebral cortex during liver regeneration and hepatic neoplasia in ratsSulaiman Pyroja
Molecular Neurobiology and Cell Biology Unit, Centre for Neuroscience, Department of Biotechnology, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin 682 022, Kerala, India
J Neurol Sci 254:3-8. 2007..Thus, our results suggest that during active hepatocyte proliferation 5-HT(2C) receptor in the brain stem and cerebral cortex are up-regulated which in turn induce hepatocyte proliferation mediated through sympathetic stimulation...
- Augmentation of SSRI effects on serotonin by 5-HT2C antagonists: mechanistic studiesThomas I F H Cremers
Brains on Line, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, Groningen, The Netherlands
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:1550-7. 2007..It was determined that the involvement of glutamate, norepinephrine, and dopamine in the augmentation did not seem likely, whereas evidence implicated a role for the GABA-ergic system in the augmentation...
- Anxiolytic activity of a novel potent serotonin 5-HT2C receptor antagonist FR260010: a comparison with diazepam and buspironeKatsuya Harada
Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Astellas Pharma Inc, 21 Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8585, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 553:171-84. 2006....
- In vivo evidence that 5-HT(2C) receptors inhibit 5-HT neuronal activity via a GABAergic mechanismL Boothman
University Department of Pharmacology, Oxford, UK
Br J Pharmacol 149:861-9. 2006..Recent evidence suggests that 5-HT(2C) receptor activation may inhibit midbrain 5-HT neurones by activating neighbouring GABA neurones. This hypothesis was tested using the putative selective 5-HT(2C) receptor agonist, WAY 161503...
- The association between HTR2C polymorphisms and obesity in psychiatric patients using antipsychotics: a cross-sectional studyH Mulder
Department of Clinical Pharmacoepidemiology, Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences UIPS, Faculty of Science, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pharmacogenomics J 7:318-24. 2007..In this cross-sectional study, we investigated whether polymorphisms in the HTR2C gene were associated with obesity (body mass index >30 kg/m2) in patients using antipsychotics...
- Co-ordinated expression of 5-HT2C receptors with the NCX1 Na+/Ca2+ exchanger in histaminergic neuronesO A Sergeeva
Department of Neurophysiology, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Neurochem 87:657-64. 2003..We conclude that several exchanger-subtypes can be coexpressed in single neurones and that TM cells are heterogeneous with respect to their calcium homeostasis regulation...
- Changes on 5-HT2 receptor mRNAs in striatum and subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease modelXiaoqun Zhang
Karolinska Institutet, Section for Translational Neuropharmacology, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Physiol Behav 92:29-33. 2007....
- Subthalamic neurons show increased firing to 5-HT2C receptor activation in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned ratsQiao Jun Zhang
Department of Neurology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710004, China
Brain Res 1256:180-9. 2009..v.). These results suggest that the response of subthalamic neurons to 5-HT(2C) receptor stimulation is not altered after 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the substantia nigra pars compacta...
- Selective activation of 5-HT(2C) receptors stimulates GABA-ergic function in the rat substantia nigra pars reticulata: a combined in vivo electrophysiological and neurochemical studyR W Invernizzi
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, via Eritera 62, 20157 Milan, Italy
Neuroscience 144:1523-35. 2007..It is concluded that selective activation of 5-HT(2C) receptors stimulates GABA-ergic function in the SNr, and the clinical relevance of these data is discussed...
- DOI, an agonist of 5-HT2A/2C serotonin receptor, alters the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in the rat parietal cortexM Mackowiak
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow
J Physiol Pharmacol 53:395-407. 2002....
- Rikkunshito, an herbal medicine, suppresses cisplatin-induced anorexia in rats via 5-HT2 receptor antagonismHiroshi Takeda
Department of Gastroenterology and Hematology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita ku, Sapporo, Japan
Gastroenterology 134:2004-13. 2008..Rikkunshito, a kampo preparation, is known to alleviate such adverse reactions. In this study, we attempted to clarify the mechanism...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF MUTANT 5-HT2C SEROTONIN RECEPTORSKatharine Herrick Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Parabrachial Nucleus and FeedingRadmila Trifunovic; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Vulnerability to Addiction: A Role for 5-HT2C Receptor Editing and ExpressionStella Dracheva; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sensitization in Trigeminal Neurons: A Role in Migraine?JOYCE HURLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..